Search:

SIYE Time:9:10 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Snow Maiden
By Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 16
Summary: Harry is minding his own business and planning a birthday party for one of his best friends when Ginny interrupts him and invites him out to play in the snow. What will happen when Harry becomes involved with a Snow Maiden and the whole school knows? Humor, fluff, and embarrassment (for Harry)
Hitcount: Story Total: 5161







ChapterPrinter


Harry Potter and the Snow Maiden
By Gryphon


Harry Potter was relaxing in front of the fire place in Gryffindor Tower. It was still early Saturday afternoon after returning from Christmas break. The Gryffindor Quidditch team had just finished a grueling practice that morning which had been made worse because it had started to snow heavily before it was half over. Now, most of his fellow Gryffindors were either out playing in the snow, studying, or hiding out somewhere doing…whatever. He was very content sitting in front of the fire watching the dancing flames and letting his mind wander while everyone else was out and about. This kind of peace and solitude was a rare treat.

His thoughts wandered back over the Christmas holiday. It had been great staying at the Burrow. The Burrow had been even warmer and more festive than ever. Helping decorate with holly and other winter greenery had been a lot of fun. They’d all gone to Diagon Alley and even into Ottery St. Catchpole for Christmas shopping. Nobody had given expensive gifts, but it had been loads of fun trying to find the perfect gifts. They’d even gone into town for a Christmas Eve service. He’d especially enjoyed singing Christmas carols — something he hadn’t done since his pre Hogwarts Muggle school days. It had really been an uplifting experience. Ginny, especially, had been a bundle of fun as she always seemed to be having such a good time.

Hermione had Floo’d over Christmas afternoon for a while. Then Ron had gone back with her for a couple of days. He chuckled to himself about that. At least he hadn’t had to watch Ron mope around for those days. A big difference from past times was this time Ginny had been one of the gang, so to speak, and he found himself having a much better time when she was around. The more he though about it, the more he realized it was something that should have happened a long time ago. And after all, she’d been through as much, if not more, than any of them. She’d spent a lot more time with them this year, especially since she and Ron were now on the Quidditch team with him. Well, that was something they could fix, if she wanted to hang with them.

Then, his thoughts turned to a less happy direction. There were so many good times he’d missed out on. After experiencing Christmas at the Burrow, he realized just how much he had missed. This was largely due to growing up with the Dursleys. Before he had come to Hogwarts and met Ron and Hermione, he’d never had a real birthday present or Christmas gift and no inclination to give any in those days. Now it was fun to give and get presents, though he’d been sadly remiss in the giving department for many years. He hadn’t done well by Ron and Hermione much less any of the other Weasleys. As he sat thinking and looking into the red flames, he resolved to do something about it.

But what? Christmas was past. St. Valentine’s Day would come next month — have to be careful with that one. It was two months till Ron’s birthday, but Ginny’s 16th birthday would be later in January. He’d heard Ginny’s mother talking about it…hmmm…the 25th of January. But, what could he get her. Like all the Weasleys, she was very sensitive about having money spent on her. That would make getting her a nice gift difficult. Maybe they could have a party for her, but where and could they make it a surprise party? Of course if he managed one for her, he’d definitely have to do one for Ron, but maybe he and Hermione could go in on that. Ginny might even help. He couldn’t think of anything at the moment he could do for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. That would take some thought. And, he mustn’t forget Hermione.

At that moment, Ginny came in through the portrait hole. Seeing him, she came over and plopped into a chair.

“What are you doing sitting here all by your self?” she said.

“Oh, just relaxing and thinking,” replied Harry.

“Anything you’d care to share?” Ginny asked cheerfully.

“Erm…there was nothing special,” Harry stammered. He couldn’t very well tell her he was trying to plan something for her birthday. “I was just thinking back over the Christmas Holiday and how much fun we had.”

Ginny laughed, “That was fun. What did you like best?”

“You know how to make a guy think, don’t you?” Harry laughed in return. “Let’s see, giving and getting presents and singing Christmas carols was a lot of fun. Going to the Christmas Eve service was very nice — it’s something I’ve never done before. I think the best was being with a real family though.”

“It was a lot of fun having you with us, Harry,” said Ginny. “I always get sad when I think of what it must have been like growing up with the Dursleys. But, let’s don’t dwell on the past. You’ll always be welcome at the Burrow. Mum and Dad think of you as one of theirs, you know, and we all think of you as family.”

Harry was very touched even though he’d heard similar words several times. This was the first time he’d heard it so directly from Ginny. “Thanks Ginny. That means more than you can know.”

“Well, are you going to vegetate here all afternoon? There’s a good snow battle in progress in front of the castle and there’s a contest for the best snow man without using magic going on beside the castle,” Ginny said. “Why don’t we go out?”

Harry had really had enough of the snow during practice, but since Ginny was asking him to do something with her and she’d been shunned so much in the past and… “Sure, it sounds like fun. Will it be snow balls or snow men?”

“How about a snow lady?” said Ginny as she pulled him out of his chair and they started towards the portrait hole. “You might want to at least grab a coat and some gloves, Harry.”

“I guess I should,” he said and ran to get them. “Now we can go,” he said when he got back.

As they walked towards the front door Ginny said, “Have you heard they’ve announced a Hogsmeade day the last Saturday this month?”

“No I haven’t,” said Harry his mind going a mile a minute. If they could go to Hogsmeade, maybe he could have a surprise party there and maybe her parents and some of her brothers could come. “That’s great. Do you have any plans yet?”

Ginny laughed, “I just heard a while ago. I haven’t given it any thought yet.”

“Why don’t we go and make a day of it?” Harry asked grinning and hoping she wouldn’t ask why.

“Why not, it sounds like fun. Maybe Ron and Hermione will go with us,” said Ginny.

‘Indeed they may,’ Harry thought but said, “Who knows these days. They may be out having their own brand of fun.”

Ginny laughed again, “I know what you mean, but I’m happy for them. They both seem so much happier now that they’ve got together.”

“Me too. An added benefit is the arguments aren’t as bad or as loud,” Harry said.

They decided to build a snow girl instead of a lady. Actually, Ginny wanted to build a snow girl and Harry accommodated. They started the usual way by rolling up several large balls of snow. Then they shaped the lower ones to look like a long flowing dress. As they started working their way up, Harry packed on a good sized ball.

“Harry, don’t make her so fat. You aren’t trying to make our snow girl pregnant are you?” chuckled Ginny.

Harry was thankful his cheeks were already reddish from the cold. “Of course not, I’m going to put her on a diet.” He started blending the ball into the dress and made a chest area. Ginny started working on the neck and head.

“Well, don’t put her on too much of a diet. She looks like she could use a little more up top, don’t you think?” said Ginny obviously trying hard to keep a straight face. “Just fix her up so she’d appeal to you.”

Harry glanced at Ginny for a second. He couldn’t believe she was saying these things to him. She did seem to be trying hard to keep a straight face though. He took a couple of handfuls of snow and began to form half of her ‘chest’. Ginny stood back to watch him. After compressing it and a little shaping, which he was sure left him redder than before, he had half of her chest in place.

“Harry, you look like that’s so painful. I can guarantee it’s not going to burn you or bite,” giggled Ginny. “I thought guys dreamed of doing that. And don’t forget the other one. We don’t her to be lopsided.”

Now Harry knew he had to be bright red. “I think you’re having way too much fun at my expense,” he said ruefully. He scooped up some more snow and went to work on the other side, determined he wasn’t going to let her get the better of him.

When he was through, she cocked her head and scrunched up her mouth. “I’ve always been curious about what you guys really like. I guess that will do. I’ll work on her head now since you seem all done in with that little task.”

Harry grinned and watched her start shaping a face and hair. Especially enjoyable was watching her expressions as she worked. Despite being embarrassed to no end, he had to admit he was having a great time. He was glad he’d agreed to come out.

“What kind of hair should we give her?” asked Ginny looking at Harry.

“How about a snowdo?” said Harry with a big grin.

“You know what I mean. What’s your favorite?” asked Ginny.

“Hmm, I’m kind of partial to ponytails and things like that,” said Harry thinking how much he liked hers.

After looking at him curiously for a second, she said, “OK, a ponytail it is.”

After a few minutes, she stood back to admire her handiwork. “I guess that’s about it. Wait a minute,” and she went forward and evened up the ‘chest’ a little. “Now we’re done.”

“You guys done?” said Colin Creevey who’d evidently been watching them.

“Yeah, we just finished,” said Ginny.

“Well, stand over there and I’ll take your picture.” He took one with one of them on each side then got them to stand together. They were laughing at his jokes and he popped the picture just as Harry put his arm around her and she leaned into him laughing. Then he took a couple of more pictures from different angles for the judging.

“You mean this is really a contest?” Harry said.

“Yeah, they’ll announce the winners tonight,” said Colin.

“Thanks, Colin,” said Ginny. “Save us a copy of the pictures, OK?”

“Sure, see you later,” Colin said walking towards some other late starters.

They were about to start back towards the castle when they saw Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle approaching.

“We’d better stay until they leave or they’re liable to wreck our work,” said Harry.

“Well, well, well, I see you’ve made a copy of your girlfriend,” said Malfoy with a sneer. Crabbe and Goyle just looked on grinning while cracking their knuckles. “What’s the matter, you have to make one out of snow to get a feel? Since you didn’t make them man sized, I guess you must go for little ones like that,” he said nodding at Ginny.

It was all Harry could do to control himself. “Malfoy, why don’t you go…”

Ginny grabbed Harry’s arm and led him away saying, “Don’t worry about what he says. Nothing he has to say is worth getting excited about. He just wanted to provoke us into doing something so he could give us detention or take points.”

“I know, but it gets so old. And I don’t know why he feels the need to insult you and Ron. His whole family put together isn’t fit to wipe your feet,” growled Harry glancing over his shoulder.

“Harry, it really doesn’t matter to me what he and his kind think,” said Ginny in a serious tone. “He’ll get his one day. Though it’s kind of sad he doesn’t seem to know how to have a truly good time.”

That night at supper, there was much conversation about the snowman contest. There appeared to be a lot impatience to see who won. A strong sense of house rivalry was also in evidence. Harry chuckled to himself, he really didn’t care who won; it had been a lot of fun.

“I wish we’d seen yours.” Hermione asked. “Do you think it has a chance of winning?”

“If I know Ginny, it’ll probably win,” said Ron grinning at Ginny. “She’s quite an artist, but she doesn’t usually draw girls.”

“That’s enough Ron,” said Ginny giving him ‘the look.’

Harry looked at Ginny, “I didn’t know you were an artist, what do you draw?”

“I’m not really an artist,” said Ginny turning a little pink. “I just dabble around and it isn’t very good. Besides, it’s been a long time since I drew anything.”

Ron said “Humph…” but said no more when Ginny looked threateningly at him again.

“Who do you think will win, Harry?” said Hermione obviously trying to change the subject.

“I don’t know. I didn’t look at many of the others,” said Harry. “But I think we are about to find out.”

They looked to the front of the hall where Dumbledore was standing as McGonagall tapped her glass with her fork.

“Here, here,” Dumbledore began, “several students brought to my attention that the fresh snow we’ve been receiving was very good for building snowmen and that a contest for the best snowman would be in order. I agreed and asked Professor Flitwick and Madame Pomfrey to be the judges. Mr. Colin Creevey kindly agreed to take pictures so we can show you the winners.” He turned to the two professors and asked, “Do you have the winners?

“Yes we do,” answered Flitwick and handed Dumbledore a piece of parchment.

Taking the parchment, Dumbledore paused to flick his wand at the wall behind him and a large white screen appeared. “Are you ready, Mr. Creevey?”

“Yes, Professor,” said Colin.

“Third place goes to Megan Jones, Elenor Branstone, and Hannah Abbott of Hufflepuff,” said Dumbledore.

There was a roar of applause and cheering as Wizard pictures of the making of their snowman flashed up upon the giant screen. In all there were about ten pictures including the various stages of development. The final picture was a group shot of the girls huddled close together in front of their entry. Since Harry didn’t think the Hufflepuff entry was anything to get excited about, he started thinking back on what pictures Colin might have taken of them.

“Very good, very good,” said Dumbledore. “The prize for each third place winner is a free sugar quill from Honeydukes Sweetshop. All winners will please remember to thank the establishment for donating the prizes and you can thank Mr. Dean Thomas for arranging for the prizes.”

“Now for second place, the winners are: Padma, and Parvati Patil of Ravenclaw and Gryffindor and Laura Madley of Hufflepuff.” There was another roar of applause as more pictures danced across the screen. “Each second place winner will receive a starter pack of Wicked Weasley Wheezes from Zonko’s Joke Shop. I hope I don’t need to caution you about anything bearing the Weasley name from Zonko’s.” There was much clapping and laughter at this as the twins’ exploits at the end of the previous year were legend.

“And finally,” Dumbledore waved his wand and a drum roll sounded, “the first place winners are…” he paused for effect, “Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter for their Snow Maiden.” An uproar went up from the Gryffindor table and the rest of the hall, except Slytherin. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were notably subdued and scowling into their plates. “Please stand up for us,” said Dumbledore.

Harry and Ginny stood as Ron, Hermione, and many others clapped them on the back or gave them hugs. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry noted the picture on the screen and gasped in horror as the saw himself carefully forming the snow girl’s ‘chest’ over and over.

“Mr. Creevey, get that off the screen right now,” McGonagall could be heard over the cheers of ‘Way to go Harry,’ ‘Go for it Harry,’ and similar hoots. Soon the last picture of them came up and remained of Ginny leaning into Harry with his arm around her. He looked at Ginny to see her dying of laughter. Then he looked at Ron.

“Way to go Harry,” Ron said between laughs. “You certainly do that well,’ and he went into gales of laughter again.

When the hall quieted down again Dumbledore said, “I must say Mr. Creevey has a knack for capturing notable moments.” McGonagall frowned at him as he said this as though she strongly disapproved of him making light of this transgression. “The prize for the first place winner is a free meal for each of you at The Three Broomsticks next Hogsmeade weekend.” There was another round of applause before Dumbledore was able to speak again. “Finally, I regret to announce that some of our students take pleasure in unacceptable ways. You will not be able to see some of these wonderful creations as several students took it upon themselves to deface them. Their reward is no Hogsmeade visits for the rest of the year. You may go when you are finished. Again, congratulations to the winners.”

As they walked back to the common room, Harry got a lot of ribbing along the way.

“Harry, don’t let them see you get so embarrassed,” whispered Ginny in his ear. “That just makes it more fun for them and they’ll keep doing it.”

“I can’t help it,” whispered Harry back to her.

“What I want to know,” said Ron catching up to them with Hermione, “is where did you get that technique?” And he went into another fit of laughter while making ’shaping’ motions with his hand.

“Stop it Ron,” said Hermione, “you’re embar…rassing Harr…y,” as she started laughing.

“Stop it, all of you,” snapped Ginny. “Harry was following my instructions. We just didn’t know Colin was around. Anyway, I liked the last one the best. I think I’ll have Colin make me a set.”

The rest of the evening didn’t get any better. Colin gave him and Ginny a set of the photos in all their glorious motion. Most disturbing was that each prize sponsor had got a set. That meant the twins…that didn’t even bear thinking about. The only redeeming factor in the whole thing was it distracted people from the last photo of Ginny leaning against him. He had to admit it was his favorite too. Ginny looked so joyful and happy. He did too for that matter. He chuckled to himself. If that had been Ron caught in that act, he’d be giving him the same hard time. But the last picture kept coming back to mind. He couldn’t help thinking how pretty she looked and…they really looked good together…kind of like they belonged together.

It hadn’t taken long for the picture to become labeled as ‘Harry and the Snow Maiden.’ And it wasn’t long after that before some started calling Ginny the Snow Maiden. He suspected this resulted from the last picture and possibly Malfoy. In any case it stuck and Ginny was in the pot with him, though it didn’t seem to bother her nearly as much.

After things calmed down enough for him to think about it, he realized this would all work out very well. Now he had an excuse for taking Ginny to supper in Hogsmeade. All he needed now was to make all the arrangements for the party. Fortunately, their foursome was the last to turn in for the evening.

As he and Ron started up the stairs, he stopped him halfway up, “Ron, lets give them a minute and go back down. There’s something I want to talk about without the girls around, or more specifically, Ginny.”

Ron looked at him curiously and said, “OK”.

They waited a couple of minutes to make sure no one else came back down before going back to the common room.

After seating themselves, Harry said, “Ron, I was sitting here, before Ginny interrupted me this morning, thinking about a lot of things. I feel like we’ve all slighted her over the years and I’d kind of like to do something special for her. If I remember right, the 25th is her birthday, isn’t it?”

“Uh, yeah,” said Ron.

“Good. Well, I’m planning to give her a surprise birthday party in Hogsmeade and I could use some help,” said Harry. “Are you on?”

“This wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, but sure,” said Ron. “What did you have in mind? “Ginny probably won’t like it if you spend a lot of money on her though.”

“I know. That’s why I thought a party would be better and if a lot of people are involved, she might not think I had so much to do with it,” said Harry.

“That’s probably not a bad idea,” said Ron.

“I’d like to see if your parents and the twins could come since it’s a Saturday,” Harry continued. “We can ask Percy, Charlie, and Bill too, but I don’t know if they’ll all come.”

Ron looked at him for a moment. “Harry, that’s a great idea. I think that would make Ginny happier than almost anything else you could do. I suppose you intend to use The Three Broomsticks.”

“Yeah, I think that’s the best place since we have an excuse for eating there and I can have Madame Rosmerta make her a cake with something like ‘Ginny Weasley, Sweet Sixteen’ on it. Also, I think there are a number of birthday and sweet sixteen songs out there. I thought I’d owl the WWN and see if they’ll loan or rent me some of them and maybe some other music. I’ve already asked Ginny to spend the day in Hogsmeade and the free meals make it work even better.”

“Harry, I can guarantee you this will blow her away if we can keep it a secret. Are you sure there isn’t more to this than trying to do something nice for her?” asked Ron.

Harry looked at his feet and thought a moment, “I’ve never given that any thought,” he began, “but I’d have to be blind not to see how happy we both looked in the picture today and Ginny is a super person. I just can’t help thinking about what it would do to the relationship with your family if things didn’t work out or worse, if Voldemort managed to hurt her some way.”

‘I won’t try to tell you what to do, Harry, but look at that picture and think about it,” said Ron. “I’ve never seen two happier people except maybe Mum and Dad when they’re talking about us children… well… maybe not when the twins have done something,” Ron chuckled. “Now, how do you want to do this?”

They spent the next half hour discussing exactly what he wanted to do and who would do what. It was too bad they hadn’t been able to get Hermione to come back downstairs, but Ron would fill her in Sunday and she could write the letters as she was a much better writer than either of them. Finally, they got to bed. Before extinguishing his wand, Harry took a last look at the picture of them together. It was with a mixture of pleasant and a few troubled thoughts that he finally drifted to sleep.

It was mid afternoon Sunday while taking a study break before Harry got a moment alone with Ron and Hermione. Hermione had already written all the letters and they’d used school owls to send them right after lunch on the excuse of taking a little ‘quality’ time. Even though Harry was less than happy with Colin at the moment, he had been selected to receive the responses so Ginny wouldn’t get suspicious about a lot of owls coming to them.

As the days passed, everything came together pretty much as planned and Ginny seemed none the wiser. Harry had even put the picture of him and Ginny on his night stand after Ron insisted there was nothing wrong with having a picture of two friends having fun together. Actually, this had come about after Ron caught him sneaking a look at it several times.

As the final days passed before Ginny’s birthday, everyone but Charlie had said they could come. He was tied up and couldn’t make it. Madame Rosmerta promised a cake just like Harry had requested and WWN promised to send a selection of appropriate songs to Madame Rosmerta for the party. Harry and Ginny were to eat supper at The Three Broomsticks as their prize for winning, so that took care of a reason to be there. They’d show up, Ginny would be surprised, they’d eat and have the cake and ice cream — which Harry bought, then socialize and dance if anyone wanted to. Hermione would invite other Gryffindors and DA students to show up after supper. To keep it secret, she would do it while Ginny was at Quidditch practice. It would be Harry’s job to get Ginny into Hogsmeade and keep her away from The Three Broomsticks until everyone was in place.

Finally, the big day arrived. It was clear and cold for Quidditch Practice which went until noon. Harry had given Ginny a birthday card that morning, so they just ate a leisurely lunch before heading for Hogsmeade. They took their time walking around the lake though it was brisk outdoors, even in the early afternoon sun. They even stopped and talked to Hagrid a little while, who was in on the plot.

Arriving in Hogsmeade, they had a good time browsing the various shops and spent some time visiting with Fred and George at Zonko’s. As the afternoon shadows lengthened, Harry and Ginny wound up in the jewelry shop. Harry never ceased to be amazed at how excited girls got over jewelry and told her so.

“I’ve never had the money to buy much,” said Ginny very much as a matter of fact, “but I still have fun looking.”

“It is pretty to look at,” said Harry. “What kind of things do you like?”

“I like it all,” said Ginny, “but I’d like to have a charm bracelet some day. See, they have charms for Hogwarts, the school houses, dragons, Quidditch, and all kinds of things.”

They looked at the charms a few minutes and moved on to the earrings and necklaces. Harry caught the shopkeeper’s eye and discretely pointed to a nice gold bracelet that had caught Ginny’s eye and several charms. As they moved around the shop, he noted the shopkeeper got the items he’d pointed out and took them to the back. As they started to leave, Harry laid his glasses on a showcase as he caught the shopkeeper’s eye and followed Ginny out.

After walking a little way down the street looking in the windows, he stopped and patted his pockets, “I must have left my glasses back there. I’ll be right back,” he said and hurried off before she could follow.

As he went in, the shop keeper had his glasses and a small gift wrapped box ready for him. He arranged payment and left as quickly as he could. He found Ginny waiting for him with a curious expression on her face.

“I didn’t know you ever took your glasses off, Harry,” Ginny said.

“I usually don’t, but I guess I must have,” Harry said. “The shop keeper had them behind the counter for me when I got there.”

“Oh.”

Eventually, they got to The Three Broomsticks. Harry checked his watch. They were right on time. He held the door and Ginny went in. There was next to no one in sight which was very unusual for this time of day. As they took a few more steps in, everyone popped out from behind booths and dividers and yelled, “Surprise… Happy Birthday Ginny.”

Ginny jumped back into Harry in her surprise and then just stood there a few seconds trying to take it all in. Then she saw her parents and Bill and Fleur and the twins and more. “You knew about this, didn’t you?” she said turning to Harry momentarily.

Harry just grinned back at her and then she ran to her parents and Bill and the twins. There were many hugs before they all sat down. Looking on, he felt a warm, full feeling spread through his chest. For a moment Harry thought he wasn’t going to be able sit with Ginny, but Bill made room for him.

“Come on over Harry,” Bill said, “I understand this supper is your prize for winning the contest we’ve been hearing so much about before you got here. And besides, I hear this was your idea, so you should be able to sit by our birthday girl,” he said grinning at Ginny.

“Harry, when did you think of this?” asked Ginny as they all settled down. It wasn’t a large group, just her parents, the twins, Bill and Fleur, and Ron and Hermione. Colin, of course was lurking in the background preserving everything for posterity.

“Uhm, remember when you disturbed my thoughts one Saturday morning and dragged me out to make a snow girl?” said Harry grinning at her. “Well, I was planning this then. That’s why I didn’t have any thoughts I wanted to share.”

“Well, it was a very nice idea and very thoughtful, Harry,” said Molly.

“I think we know why,” said George as he and Fred each pulled out a pack of what had to be pictures and handed one to Molly and Arthur and the other to Bill and Fleur. “Take a look at those. That’s how they won the prize, especially with Harry’s tender attention to detail.”

Harry felt his heart sink. He knew what was coming. Even the sympathetic look Ginny gave him didn’t help much. Even Ron didn’t have anything to say in front of his parents when ‘that’ picture came up.

“I’m going to have to come up with a suitable reward for Colin for taking that picture,” Harry grumbled as everyone looked at it in silence. “It’s caused me never ending grief at school since it was projected on the wall in the Great Hall for everyone to see at supper.”

Arthur chuckled, “You have to admit, Harry, the timing and angle are very good.”

Molly gave him a disapproving look, “I can see why it embarrassed Harry to no end.”

“You might as well laugh,” said Harry a little glumly. “Even Ginny and Hermione have been laughing at me. If fact, it was Ginny’s idea that I make that part. And then she stood back and laughed while I did it.”

“If you’ll move on to the last picture,” said Fred, “you’ll get an idea as to why Harry did this.”

Harry had been too preoccupied with the previous picture to think about the last one…his favorite…the one he’d been staring at for weeks now. Now, Ginny seemed to be a little quiet too. As he glanced at her, she turned to him and smiled. He couldn’t help it, it seemed to lift his heart and he smiled back.

“See, they’re doing it here,” said Fred. Everyone at the table looked at Harry and Ginny in time to catch them smiling at each other.

“This is a very sweet picture,” said Molly looking back to the picture she was holding. “You look so happy together. You must have really been having a good time.”

“It is very sweet,” said Fleur.

“He must think so too since he looks at it all the time,” said Ron just before he got an elbow from Hermione.

Fortunately for Harry and Ginny, Madame Rosmerta appeared with menus and began taking orders for refreshments. First, they all had a round of hot butter beer which hit the spot after being out in the January cold.

While they were sipping butter beer waiting for their meals, George suggested they give Ginny her presents. Ginny, of course, was very much in favor and presents began to appear on the table. Harry felt a little uncomfortable when he was the only one who hadn’t put a present out. Feeling more than a little self-conscious, he brought out the little box and put it on the table.

“We’d like to suggest you open everyone else’s present first,” said George.

“Yeah,” said Fred, “if she opens Harry’s first, she’ll probably forget all about us.”

“Shut it guys,” said Ginny. “If it makes you feel better, I’ll open Harry’s last.” And she smiled at Harry.

Ron and Hermione gave here a small locket, Bill and Fleur a beautiful book on magical locations in Egypt, and the twins gave her a selection of their latest inventions, much to Molly’s displeasure. Molly and Arthur gave her a set of robes suitable for social occasions.

“They’re beautiful,” Ginny gasped. “I didn’t know you’d got them.”

“After you liked them so much before Christmas, we decided to get them for you,” Molly said. “We were going to give them to you for Christmas but Madame Malkin couldn’t get them ready in time.”

Ginny gave each of her parents a big hug and thanked them. “I guess that just leaves Harry’s present,” she said grinning at Harry. She carefully pealed off the colorful paper and opened the box. “Harry! How…but…I love it. Look Mum, I’ve always wanted one.” She showed her mum and the others at the table the bracelet.

“It’s beautiful, Harry,” said Molly as Arthur nodded too. “Did you know she’s always wanted one?”

“She did mention it while we were browsing the jewelry store this afternoon,” said Harry grinning.

“How did you manage this? I thought I was keeping a pretty good eye on you,” said Ginny.

“I pointed it out to the jeweler while you were looking at necklaces and ear rings,” Harry said grinning broadly.” If he hadn’t been so absorbed in Ginny, he’d have noticed he was getting more than a few curious looks.

“I thought leaving your glasses in the shop was a bit fishy,” Ginny said as she took the bracelet out of the box. “Would you help me put it on, Harry?”

Harry took the bracelet and fastened it on her wrist and looked into her smiling eyes, “Happy birthday, Ginny.”

“Thank you, Harry,” Ginny said very happily as she gave Harry a warm hug.

Harry felt very good that he’d made her so happy. They got a lot of teasing after that, but he didn’t mind. He was just too happy to care. Their meals were served and they all became absorbed in Madame Rosmerta’s delicious food. As the meal drew to a close, Neville and Luna came in with a number of the older Gryffindors and DA members who could stay out later than the younger students. As planned, they’d come for ice cream and cake.

They all had a good time and more than a few butter beers. After most of the cake and ice cream was consumed, Madame Rosmerta started the music with Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen.

“You’re up Harry,” shouted Fred and George who had been in conference with Madame Rosmerta, “You and Ginny should have the first dance.”

After very vocal encouragement from everyone there, Harry and Ginny got up and started dancing. Harry was nervous at first. His previous dancing experiences couldn’t exactly be classified as successes, but he relaxed as he found himself having fun. Having his arm around Ginny, while holding her hand, was very nice. Her hand on his shoulder wasn’t bad either.

Once the first dance was over, he danced with Mrs. Weasley, Hermione, Fleur, and a few other girls since they kept breaking in on each other. After a while, it seemed like they were all trying to keep him away from Ginny. Finally they got to dance to Happy Together by a Muggle group called The Turtles. He couldn’t get over how so many of the words fit what he was feeling about Ginny. He wasn’t sure where these feelings came from, but they were definitely there. After that, they continued dancing to the following slow dance.

“Harry, I really want to thank you for doing this for me. Having Mum and Dad and Bill here means at lot to me,” said Ginny. “It must have been really tough following me around all afternoon so you could get me here on time.”

“It wasn’t tough at all, Ginny. I enjoy every minute I’m with you,” said Harry anxious to see how she’d take that statement.

“But, I thought it was just part of the plan to get me here,” said Ginny.

“Ginny, I don’t…I…” Harry was lost looking into her eyes. As he gently pulled her closer, he felt himself sinking towards her and before he knew it, his lips were on hers. Both of them were surprised, but neither pulled back for a moment. “I’ve wanted to do that for some time now, but I didn’t know how or if you’d want me to.”

Ginny gave a little smile, “Does that mean you like me a little more than someone to knock around with?”

Harry smiled back and said, “I think it does.”

As he leaned towards her again she said, “Harry, Mum and Dad are wa…” and their lips met again.

This time was more tender and relaxed. Ginny released his hand and put it on his neck. This sent even more chills through Harry than he’d already been feeling. They broke their kiss and just looked into each others eyes for a moment before Ginny molded herself to Harry’s chest and they continued to move to the music.

Harry couldn’t help moving his cheek against hers as they danced. He realized now that Ginny was everything he’d ever wanted. He felt them gradually come even closer, almost like they were melding together. Now he could feel her heart against his and it felt like they were slowly becoming as one, beating together perfectly. He found himself thanking God for sharing one of his angels with him and hoped this would never end. Then their thoughts began mingling with one another’s…Ginny’s feelings for him and his for her. Suddenly he was distracted by a loud noise and the warm white cocoon that had enveloped them began to dissolve.

Had they not been so preoccupied, they’d have noticed the room had become very quiet and everyone was watching them. There were many gasps, especially Hermione.

“What’s happening?” asked Hermione, her voice full of wonder.

“Shhh, you’re seeing something very rare and special,” said Bill who had been talking with her and Ron at the time.

Molly had tears in her eyes as Arthur put his arm around her and held her close as they watched.

No one noticed McGonagall and Lupin come in and stand looking in awe. It was only when Hagrid followed them in and let the door slam as he looked on in surprise that Harry and Ginny were distracted.

Harry and Ginny drifted back apart and for a moment didn’t realize they were the center of attention. Then Molly was at their side embracing both of them with tears in her eyes. Harry’s first thought was that something terrible had happened, but he put that thought aside as he realized her tears were for joy.

“What’s everyone looking at?” Harry asked looking a little sheepish. Surely their kiss hadn’t attracted this much attention. Then he saw McGonagall, Lupin, and Hagrid were there and also staring. Now he was really at a loss as others began to crowd around and congratulate them.

“I think I know,” Ginny said looking shyly at him as Molly and Arthur looked on. It wasn’t everyday you shared your innermost thoughts and feelings about someone with them without saying a word.

“Why don’t we sit down and talk about it?” said Arthur as he ushered them back to the table.

Before they got started, McGonagall and crowd came up and wished Ginny a happy birthday. She started to comment about Harry and Ginny, but Arthur gently interrupted her.

“Excuse me, Minerva, but Harry doesn’t understand what has happened,” said Arthur. “We were just going to explain. Why don’t you have some cake and ice cream? It’s very good. We’ll be done in a minute.”

All of this was making Harry a little nervous. Just what was going on and why was everyone looking at them that way. And even Ginny was acting strangely. Had he done something wrong?

“Harry,” began Arthur looking a bit uncomfortable, “what happened to you and Ginny tonight is very special. It happens to many witches and wizards, but very rarely is anyone else around to see it. First, you and Ginny must have very strong feelings for one another,” he said looking at both of them and Molly. “We had no idea this was happening at Christmas, though you two seemed very relaxed and happy around each other. Secondly, you must have been thinking the same…uh…things. And lastly, you both had to give thanks together.”

“But what happened?” asked Harry in bewilderment. How did they know so much about what they were thinking just seeing them kiss? He looked at Ginny and she was still smiling shyly.

“Harry, you and Ginny were wrapped up in what looked like a snow white halo,” said Ron with a grin. “It was almost blinding.”

Harry was still baffled and it must have shown. He had no idea what they were talking about.

“Harry, Dear,” said Molly putting a hand on his, “when a witch and wizard first confess their love for one another and give thanks at the same time, it sometimes creates a kind of halo around them that can glow for several seconds. Usually, no one is around to see it and they may not even realize it’s happened. In your case, it was white, very bright, and lasted a very long time. The white color says you were each giving thanks for the other at the same time and the length and brightness attests to the depth of your feelings.”

When she finished she was smiling at him in a way he hadn’t seen before. He looked at Ginny and she was smiling at him too. “Does that mean everyone here but me knew what was happening?” he said already knowing the answer.

“I’m afraid so,” said Bill. “Most people who have grown up in a Wizarding family are aware of the phenomena, just not many have seen it much less such a spectacular…uh… demonstration.”

Harry,” said Ron, “it’s not like we didn’t know you liked Ginny, we just didn’t know how much. This is a triply good day. Ginny’s had a great birthday, you two are in love, and I knew something Hermione didn’t,” Ron concluded with a big grin.

“Didn’t anyone ever tell you it is dangerous to mess around with a Snow Maiden, Harry?” asked Fleur laughing merrily.

THE END

Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear