Search:

SIYE Time:5:08 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


After The Fire
By color_my_world

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Songfic
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 13
Summary: Harry is in his 7th year and Ginny is in her 6th. The time of the prophecy is near and Harry is forced to make some serious decisions. Ginny is ever faithful as a friend and maybe-something more. This story is based on the song "After the Fire" by Amy Grant.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3599







ChapterPrinter


A/N: This story is based to some degree on the song "After the Fire" by Amy Grant. In all actuality, I have never heard this song, but I came across it one day and it fit perfectly with my ideas. Later on, I found out it was country and I don't even like country the tiniest bit. So, whether you like the song or not, the lyrics are absolutely perfect. I hope you enjoy it!


~*~



It had been discussed beyond the point of reason…Harry had to leave. Everyone but him was against it, but it didn’t matter, because in the end, it would always be Harry’s choice. Hermione had shrieked at him, telling him that he was putting himself in danger. Ron had looked grim and had suggested staying at the Burrow for a while. Ginny was silent. She put on a brave face for Harry, nodding with his decision, but inside, she was so afraid.


Leaving Hogwarts was leaving Dumbledore, the only person who was able to protect Harry in the past. Harry had been adamant about leaving, further proving his point by saying, “Dumbledore cannot protect me anymore. The time of the prophecy has come and I’ll be damned if any of you get hurt by me staying here. We are sitting ducks for disaster. I refuse to let the school come into harm, because of my being here.” That was Harry, always playing the hero.


Ginny had long ago locked away her love for the great boy-who-lived in safe keeping. She had realized that she would never stand a chance. She still admired him greatly and found him an amazing friend when he wasn’t brooding around. Sometimes, after giving him a hug after a rough time, she wanted nothing more than to curl up in his arms forever. He was so strong and powerful, he was everything Ginny had ever looked for in anybody. He never gave her a second glance, but she ached to stare into his vivid green eyes with a purpose and to see love there for her.


As it was, she was sitting on the couch reading her divination textbook, which she found completely useless. The only people who were ever going to use divination were people who had the “Inner Eye” and that was a rare thing. Divination was a prime example of one of those classes you are forced to take, but will never use. The Gryffindor common room was quiet. There was no one around, most likely because it was so late. She yawned widely wishing that at that very moment she had a steaming cup of hot chocolate sitting in front of her. The fire was cracking merrily as she stared into it, thinking of how warm her bed would be. She sighed. If only she could do her homework before goofing around, then she wouldn’t have to have those dark circles under her eyes or worry about her warm bed, for she would already be in it. She heard a movement on the staircases behind her and whipped herself around, her hair flying out behind her.


“Harry!” she exclaimed.


He smiled softly as she rushed to find her dressing gown, but failed.


She huffed. “Well, that was a botched attempt.” She knew he had seen her in less, so it didn’t worry her so much. “What are you doing up?”


“I had a nightmare…couldn’t sleep. You?” he said sitting next to her.


“I haven’t actually gone to bed yet. I’m still doing homework,” she grinned. “But I am certainly tired.”


“Well, don’t let me stop you. I’ll be alright down here alone,” he said gesturing towards the girls dormitories.


Ginny laughed. “I’m not that tired. Besides we haven’t talked alone in a long time.” She looked down into her lap and added,” and I don’t know when we’ll have that chance again.”


Harry laughed. “So, I haven’t heard what your stance on me leaving is. I’d like to hear it.”


“It’s not the jolliest of conversation topics these days, is it? Well, my opinion is mixed. I see both sides and don’t know how to choose. I understand you in that you have to leave. It’s the only possible way to defeat Voldemort. But, I also see it from a friend’s point of view. Letting you go, is almost the same as letting you walk out of our lives. We don’t know if you’ll come back and we want you to more than ever. I guess it’s rather stubborn of us to feel that way, but I think it’s natural. When you have something you love, you don’t want to let it go. However, I know for a fact that if your official decisions becomes leaving, Hermione, Ron, and myself will back you all the way.”


“I’m lucky to have friends like you that care so much,” he said after a long silence.


“You’re not lucky, you’re just like anybody else. You have a strange fate bestowed upon you, that’s all,” she said, smiling at him.


It was at this moment that Harry realized how…there Ginny was. She had just mirrored his own feelings. If he had not defeated Voldemort as a baby, he would be any other normal child, but nobody ever seemed to realize that. His actions were high profile, reporters loved to have stories on him, no matter what they were, and the picture taking was positively annoying. Ginny understood him the way nobody else did.


“Are you alright Harry?” Ginny asked concerned over his silence.


“I’m fine..I’m fine,” he nodded.


She yawned, quickly covering her mouth with her pale, freckled hand.


Harry smiled. “May I offer you a pillow?” he asked pointing to his shoulder. “I promise… it’s more comfortable than it looks.”


She smiled back and nodded, resting her head on his shoulder. He put his arm around her back. They both gazed into the flames, until he heard her steady breathing, signaling that she was sleeping.


He turned his attention to the girl he had resting on his body. He had been thinking about her constantly lately. She was Ginny, his best friend’s little sister, but when he looked at her, he felt tugging at his heart. It was more than brotherly affection. But she was Ron’s sister. Or maybe, for once, she could just be Ginny, an ordinary girl, just like he was an ordinary boy. She was sixteen now, a far cry more beautiful than when he met her at eleven. Her features had become more refined. Her skin was pale, dotted with freckles, and her hair was such a distinct shade of red. Somehow, it was different from the rest of the Weasley’s. It was so rich and silky. As he watched her, he ran his fingers through her hair, savoring the feeling. Her scent enveloped him; it was a light floral blend that awakened his senses and made him dizzy with unknown feeling.


Inside, his emotions were churning. She loved him for so long and he had never realized it until Hermione had told him. Unfortunately, it was at the same time that she had told him that Ginny had given up on him. And now, of all times, he was falling in love. It was the worst time to be doing this, but he could not help the feelings swirling around his head and the aches of his heart. He was starting to realize that he had felt this way all along, but had disguised it with the fact that her brother was his best friend. Harry had never let himself fall in love. Having friends was one thing, but having a girlfriend was another. Cho had not worked out and he hated her now. She was a self-centered bitch and didn’t feel bad calling her that. But, if he truly cared about someone…like that, how would he deal with the pain of ever having to lose that person? He just didn’t know.


His decision was made, he was definitely leaving. But, he had to see Ginny alone before he left. She deserved to know how he felt and he’d give almost anything to know the taste of her and to feel love before he left on a battle for his life. She would always be something he was more than willing to come home to.


He looked out the windows towards the east. The sun was rising on the edge of the horizon. Color spilled across the sky and into the common room, crossing Ginny’s face. She smiled in her dream and made small noises as Harry got up and laid her form on the couch. He kissed her forehead before returning upstairs to get dressed. He would leave in a two days.


~*~



At breakfast, Ginny tiredly scraped butter and jam onto her toast, almost dropping her knife on the floor. The owls swooped into the great hall delivering packages. She saw Hedwig flying towards Harry with a newspaper and Pig was excitedly delivering a small package to Ron. She watched Harry and Hedwig together and smiled. Last night had been wonderful. Harry was so caring and gentle. She was surprised he had wanted to actually talk to her, much less take her words seriously. She turned back to her toast and took a huge bite, chewing thoughtfully. All of a sudden, an owl swooped into her vision landing in front of her plate, practically making her choke in fright. It was Hedwig, with a note for her. She took it off her leg and watched as she flew away out a window before turning her attention to the note. The front read “Ginny” in Harry’s untidy handwriting. She opened it anxiously. It read:


Dear Ginny,
I need to speak with you. I’d say it’s fairly important and I’m extremely nervous, so please don’t make this any harder than it already will be for me. I have something to tell you. Please meet me by the lake after classes let out. I’ll be waiting.

Sincerely,
Harry



She sat in stunned silence for a while. What could he possibly have to tell her? It ate away at her all day. When her final class ended, she rushed back to her dormitory to drop her books off and grabbed a heavier cloak for the autumn chill. She went rushing out of the room, but on second thought, doubled back to check her hair in the mirror. It was fine and she chastised herself for being so vain. When she finally made it outside, she saw the unmistakable raven haired boy at the lake pacing nervously.


She ran up behind him. “Boo!” she yelled popping in front of him.


He practically jumped out of his skin, but then his face relaxed into a smile as he saw Ginny’s face.


“Hey!” he said, almost at a loss for words. “Do you think we could walk somewhere that’s not so much in full view of the entire castle?”


She looked at him curiously, but relented. “Okay.”


He took her hand and almost dragged her to a secluded spot behind some trees.


Ginny laughed along with him and after they came to a stop inquired, “What is this all about?”


“Well, I wanted you to be the first to know two things,” Harry said, taking a deep breath.


“Okay…” Ginny eyed him funnily, “Go on.”


“The first is that I’ve made my decision about leaving. I will be and in two days. It’s best to get this over with before the year is out. This way, everyone can enjoy themselves and it would be like a normal year for us… you know?”


Ginny nodded, looking unexplainably sad. “I understand. I knew it would be this way. I was ready for it.”


“I’m glad you do Gin…I’m really glad you do.” He stayed silent for the longest time before Ginny broke the silence.


“There was a second thing. What was it?”


“Well…I…you see… I…” he started looking lost.


Ginny put a hand on his arm. “You can tell me anything. It’s alright.”


“It’s not that I don’t want tell you, it’s more than I don’t know how,” he said looking utterly helpless.


“Just say what you’re feeling. It’s the most that we can all do.”


“Alright then. This might be long, but here’s the whole thing. I’ve been oblivious to something for a very long time and last night I realized my mistakes. I want to make it up to you… and to myself. I think you are amazing. You are smart, strong, and so beautiful. When I see you, my heart flutters and my stomach does flip flops. I’ve ignored you for so long and I’m so sorry, but I want to be with you now. Hell, I want to be with you forever, but I don’t even know. I mean, this could lead to forever. Ginny, I love you as more than a friend. I think I always have, but the fact that you were Ron’s sister put me off. Right now, I don’t care what your family thinks, I care only about you. When I held you in my arms last night, it felt like you belonged there, when I hold your hand in mine, it’s like it’s meant to be there, and when I touch you I feel so amazing, like riding a broom with no broom. I think we’re meant to be together. Right now I want you and I need you to be my girlfriend. I…don’t know what do otherwise.”


Ginny looked at his face and saw nothing but pure sincerity. When she looked in his eyes, she saw truth, caring, and love there. She realized she wasn’t breathing. This was the moment she had been waiting for her entire life. She moved closer to him on the ground and took his hand in hers. “What took you so long?” she asked ever so quietly.


He reached his free hand out and traced her jaw line and caressed her soft lips. “I don’t know, I just don’t know,” he said shaking his head. He leaned forward towards her face and their lips met gently. He let go of her hand and tangled his fingers in her hair. The kiss deepened and they let their tongues dance around the others. Her hands were in his hair, making it messier than before. She let a soft moan escape from her lips as Harry parted to take a breath.


“That was amazing,” Ginny said.


“You are amazing,” Harry said as he kissed her again.


Ginny’s nerves were thoroughly jangled as Harry helped her stand up. She steadied herself against him. She put her arms around his neck and stared into his vivid green pools.


“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that for. You’ve made my dreams come true today. Now I get to go tell everyone that Harry Potter is my boyfriend,” she said laughing.


“You better not. Do you think we could keep it a secret until I return?” he asked her softly.


Ginny noted his use of the word “until” and she nodded immediately. “If that’s what you want, then okay.”


He took her hand and kissed her forehead as they walked back to the castle. It was surprisingly quiet in the common room upon arrival. They had immediately dropped hands when they saw Neville sitting on the couch with Trevor. Hermione and Ron were among the missing and both Harry and Ginny had homework to do, so they dragged their books down to the library. They found a nice secluded spot to work together. They played footsie under the table until Ginny burst out laughing and Madam Pince banished them from the library. From there, they made their way to the kitchens and devoured a big slice of chocolate cake and a cup of tea. When they finally had their full, Harry dragged Ginny into an empty classroom and kissed her fully on the mouth.


When they finally stopped, Ginny exclaimed, “Why, Mr. Potter!” and burst out laughing.


“I think we have to get to bed now Gin, but tomorrow night, meet me here okay?” he asked.


“Well, alright, I guess,” she smiled. She snaked her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest. “I can feel your heartbeat,” she said giggling.


“I should hope so. It means I’m alive,” he laughed.


When they finally made it to bed that night, each of them had their thoughts trained on the other. Ginny sighed into her pillow thankful for the gift she had received that day and Harry stared at his ceiling, forcing images of Ginny’s face to appear in his vision. When he closed his eyes, she was still there. She was always there.


~*~



The day passed quickly and Ginny was flying high as she made her way towards the empty classroom they had been in the other night. When she opened the door, Harry was standing there, in his school robes with candles lit everywhere and dinner spread out on the teacher’s desk. There was soft melodious music playing from somewhere and she started to smile. “Ginny,” he said, extended his hand, “thank you for joining me.”


“No problem. Harry, what is all this for?” she asked.


“Tonight is my last night in the castle and I want to share it with you. I want it to be special, so I have something amazing to remember when I need it.”


“Oh, Harry,” she sighed as a tears welled up in her eyes. She threw her arms around his neck and clung to him, almost for dear life. She snuffled into his shirt.


He pulled her back and looked her deep in the eyes. “Why are you crying?”


Her hands fluttered like nervous butterflies as she explained herself. “I don’t even know, it’s just that I finally have you and I’m so full of love and happiness and then you have to leave. It’s just so unfair. I mean, I don’t regret the decisions I’ve made, but if there could have been a better time, it would have been… not now.” She collapsed into his chest.


He stroked her back. “I know. I thought the same thing, but I couldn’t leave without letting you know. If I were to die, leaving it so that you were never to know, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. Now… now I have you to come back to and you know I care about you. I thought it would be easier in some ways, but it’s only turning out to be harder.”


“I understand,” she whispered.


“You know, I never got to dance with you at the Yule Ball in fourth year. Would you give me the honor?”


“Of course,” she smiled, taking his hand and holding him close. They were silent for a while.


“After all of this is over, Harry. I’ll be right here. I will wait for you forever if I have to.”


After the fire is over
After the ashes cool
After the smoke has blown away
I will be here for you



“No, Ginny. Don’t wait for me forever. If I don’t come back I want you to move on. Promise me at least that,” Harry pleaded quietly.


“I’m sorry. I can’t do that. I refuse to make a promise I will not keep,” she said defiantly.


“What do you mean?” he asked.


“You’re coming back. There is no doubt in my mind. So why should I?”


He stayed silent. He did not have a retort to that comment.


After the stillness finds you
After the winds of change
All that is good and true between us
This will remain the same



“I will be here, that, is my promise,” she said assuredly.


“This was not my choice. You do know that you too will have to fight a battle at Hogwarts while I finish my duty elsewhere. The Death Eaters will come here,” Harry stated.


“Yes, I do know that. We will lose many students, but I will not be one of them. Like I said, when I make promises, I keep them.”


Slowly...slowly
We turn the page of life
Growing...knowing
It comes at quite a price



“So, when I wake up tomorrow, will you be here?” she asked.


“No, I’m leaving at dawn, but please, do not follow me. It will only make it worse,” he said almost bitterly.


“Okay…I won’t,” Ginny said.


They stopped their dancing and ate dinner, trying their best to put happy faces on. When Harry kissed her goodnight back in the common room, she thought she would die of heartache. She cried into his shoulder and he held her tightly to his body. He led her to the couch and snuggled down with her there, stroking her hair. As he held her, he felt her heartbeat: a heart that beat for him. It took all his restraint not to cry. He loved her so much and she didn’t even know it. At about 4 am he woke up gently getting out from under her. He headed up the stairs to his trunk to get the last of his needed items.


Slowly...slowly
We turn the page of life
Growing...knowing
It comes at quite a price



Harry saw a vase of fresh flowers on a table in the common room on his way out. A red rose caught his eye in particular. He took it out and placed in Ginny’s hand. He kissed her forehead, her eyes, her nose, and her mouth, wanting to remember ever single feature; to have it imprinted in his brain. With one last look around the place he called home for the past 7 years, and a glance at the girl he loved, he walked out. He trekked through the school gates and into Hogsmeade ready for his quest.


~*~



When Ginny woke up, she felt something in her hand. It was a deep red rose. She smelled it and suddenly remembered why it was there. She looked out across the Hogwarts grounds. He was gone and that’s all she knew. She started to cry silently. He would be back…soon…she had that faith in him. The thought of him all alone made her weak.


Hermione came to the bottom of the stairs. “Oh my goodness, Ginny, what’s wrong?”


Through her tears she could only manage a few words, “Harry…he’s….gone.”


After your time of wand'ring
Along this lonely road
There will be many voices calling
Mine will say, "Welcome home"




Hermione put her arms around the girl and comforted her, but Ginny only wanted one person and she couldn’t have him right now.


~*~



The day had come for the Death Eaters to arrive. The school had been evacuated. All that remained were willing sixth and seventh year students. Ginny was among them, as was Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna. No one had heard a word from Harry. Ginny had been counting the days. Today was the thirtieth day.


As the sun set, not many students remained. Across the Hogwarts grounds Ron and Hermione were in a heartfelt in embrace. Ginny watched lovingly as they did, wishing with all her might that Harry was still alive. She walked past the fallen students. Luna and Neville had fought bravely, but in the end, had failed. Neville had died courageously and had taken Lestrange down with him. Luna had died trying to protect him. So many children - no adults - with no future. At least they had died for a worthy and brave cause.


Ron made his way towards Ginny and slipped his hand into hers. She hugged him tight and he stroked her hair. “You fought bravely,” he said.


“Don’t cut yourself short, so did you,” she said punching him in the side.


He laughed. “Let’s head in and see Madam Pomfrey. Hermione thinks she broke her arm.”


She followed them in with one last look onto the grounds. Some of the aurors were trying to clean things up. It wasn’t doing much good: the grass was blackened and singed, blood had colored the green parts left red, and the bodies were littered everywhere like worthless trash. Ginny caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror. She was extremely dirty, had some minor scratches on her face and arms, and she knew she would have bruises the next day.


After being cleansed by Madam Pomfrey, Ginny left to take a shower in the prefects bathroom, since Ron and Hermione had given her free reign to use it. The warm water felt so good and she stayed there for hours trying to forget the gruesome events of the day, but knowing she never would. She wrapped a towel around herself and returned to her dorm. On her dresser, lay the rose Harry had given her. At this point, it had dried up a bit and wasn’t very much alive, but she was keeping it nonetheless. It was one of the only things he had given her and had been the last thing he touched before he left. Ginny put on her pajamas and curled up in her bed underneath the covers wishing for sleep. Her wish was granted.


She woke up weary and the only one in her dorm room. The clock read “11:48 am” so she knew everyone was probably up already. She scrambled out of bed and down into the common room. Ron and Hermione were sitting on the couch talking with serious expressions on each of their faces.


Ginny plopped in a chair nearby. “What’s up you guys?”


Ron looked pointedly at Hermione and Hermione looked pointedly at Ron, until finally Hermione sighed and said, “Dumbledore didn’t make it through yesterday’s battle. He was killed by one of the Death Eaters.”


Ginny was stunned to say the least. “Dumbledore? I mean… I…Dumbledore?” she stammered.


Hermione just nodded. “He was a great man, but he was still a man; made of nothing but flesh and blood. His death was bound to occur one day.”


She nodded. She couldn’t help thinking about how much death had just happened in one place. It was almost ludicrous. She got up and settled herself by the window. The grass was still black, but all traces of battle were gone. She sighed and rested her head on the window pane, her breath fogging her view. Then she saw it, a flash of black out of the corner of her eye. The gates were opening and there was someone walking through.


“Oh my God!” she cried out and ran from the room. Ron and Hermione knew it could only be one thing. They raced after her. She threw the grand doors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry open with all her might and propelled herself outside. She ran up the walk. It really was him! She launched herself into his arms.


“Harry… oh my god,” she breathed into his neck.


“You probably don’t want to be touching me. I’m extremely dirty right now,” he said softly.


She shook her head. “I don’t care how you look or smell. You’re just Harry and that’s all that matters to me.”


He laughed and dropped something with a clatter to the ground. She looked down. It was Godric Gryffindors’s sword, the same one he had killed the basilik with. With his two arms he picked her up and swung her around. When he set her down, he captured her lips in a tantalizing kiss. He held her close to his body and breathed all of her in. He had missed her so much and it was her face that shone in his mind when he was about to give up. He wanted to hold her forever and never let go.


Ginny was deliriously happy, wanting nothing more than what she already had. Ron and Hermione were watching from afar and smiling at them. Ginny was smiling too.


“I kept my promise, did I not?” she asked jokingly.


“Yes, you did. You’re the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me,” he said before her kissed her again.


“I was here then, I’m here now, and I will be forever,” Ginny spoke into his ear. The world was free to start anew and so was she, starting with the love of her life.


I will be here for you.



~*~



Full lyrics are as follows:


(Chorus:)
After the fire is over
After the ashes cool
After the smoke has blown away
I will be here for you

After the stillness finds you
After the winds of change
All that is good and true between us
This will remain the same

Slowly...slowly
We turn the page of life
Growing...knowing
It comes at quite a price

(Repeat chorus)

After your time of wand'ring
Along this lonely road
There will be many voices calling
Mine will say, "Welcome home"

Slowly...slowly
We turn the page of life
Growing...knowing
It comes at quite a price

(Repeat chorus)

I will be here for you

Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear