Search:

SIYE Time:13:25 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Naming Day
By Katieay

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 26
Summary: Harry is awoken by Ginny with the news that it is, indeed, time. Needless to say, panic esnues! Pure fluff.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5161







ChapterPrinter


Naming Day


For Max, because I’ve been where you were today, because you seem to have formed a compulsion for Happy Fics and because you are, quite literally, the Greatest.

Lots of Love, Katie xoxox



~*~


“Harry! Harry, it’s time!”

A distant voice woke Harry Potter from a sound sleep, causing a groan to escape his lips. He didn’t think it could be later than 3 am and he shrugged the hand off his shoulder and rolled onto his side.

“Harry!” Ginny’s voice cut through the haze of sleep like a sharp knife, causing him to sit up quickly and turn to look at her.

“What?” He asked, somewhat grumpily. He couldn’t see her face in the dark, and he reached for his glasses.

“It’s time.”

The panic in her voice caused his hand to freeze on its way to the bedside table and his head swung towards her. He was awake now, and he could see her rubbing her swollen stomach and panting heavily in pain.

“W-what? Now? He’s coming now?”

Ginny’s laugh soothed some of his frazzled nerves as she nodded. Harry couldn’t help himself. He reached over to his wife, caught her face in his hands and kissed her soundly on the mouth.

“A baby! We’re going to have a baby!” Harry knew his voice was full of panic and exuberance, his blood was streaming quickly through his veins as he continued to stare at Ginny.

“Yes, we are and we’re going to have it right here in this bed if you don’t get moving.”

It was enough to shake him from his stupor and with an ungracefulness that didn’t belong to the Chudley Cannons Seeker, Harry scrambled off the bed, grabbed his glasses and — once he could see — made his way to the wardrobe.

Ginny had packed a bag two nights before, and though he’d laughed at her then for being so prepared he was glad she had now. He knew the procedure. Get the bag, help Ginny as much as he can, call Molly, Arthur, Ron and Hermione on the Floo network and then drive over to St. Mungo’s.

Bag. Check.

He walked over to the chest-of-drawers, pulling clothes out for his wife. It didn’t really matter what clothes they were, since they’d just come off in the hospital, anyway. He dumped them on the bed.

Help Ginny. Check.

He made his way on shakey legs to the fireplace in their bedroom and, with a feeling of great trepidation, put the Floo powder in, followed closely by his head. He was covered in a purple haze that tickled his nose before saying his in-law’s names and waiting for the loungeroom at the Burrow to come into view.

Once it did, he called as loudly as he could, hoping that they could hear him. It wasn’t long before Molly came stumbling down the stairs, hair in curlers and a worn, tattered bathrobe. He noted absentmindedly that a new bathrobe would be a nice Christmas present.

“Harry, dear, is it time?”

The calmness of her voice did nothing to calm his nerves and he found he couldn’t speak as Ginny let out a moan of pain behind him, holding on to one of the posts of their four-poster bed.

“I see,” Molly said warmly, a large grin spreading across her face. “I’ll let Ron and Hermione know, all right? You two get over to St. Mungo’s. Drive safely, Harry.”

“Thanks, Molly, we’ll see you there!”

Harry was impressed that he was able to get that much out as he ended the call by pulling his head out of the fire.

Call family. Check.

Trying hard to control his fear, Harry picked the bag up from the floor and walked over to Ginny. He brought a hand to her head, stroking the hair that had been a beacon of light for him in the final battle that saw Voldemort finally defeated.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, kissed her softly on the temple and guided her out the door towards the car.

Entering the hospital, Harry felt his heart beating rapidly in his throat. He registered and the reception desk, giving over his wand to be checked and weighed, and not noticing the odd looks the receptionist was giving the two.

Let her be OK. Please Merlin, let them both get through this safely, he prayed silently as they made their way to the Maternity Ward. Harry was told briskly which room to bring Ginny to, where she would be checked by the midwife.

“I’m going to kill you, Harry Potter,” Ginny send in a low voice as the contractions made her body shudder. “When I’m done with you… aaaahhhh!”

“They’re coming every three minutes,” the midwife said in a tone that reminded Harry of Madam Pomfrey. “We have to get her to the delivery room. I’m sorry, sir, you are going to have to wait outside.”

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard!” A familiar voice said from behind him. Harry turned with relief to see Molly, Arthur, Hermione and Ron rush down the corridor towards them.

The midwife looked taken aback, and Harry knew why. Hermione with a cause was a force to be reckoned with.

“To expect the father to wait outside while his wife gives birth to his child is positively archaic!”

“That may be so, young lady, but hospital policy is hospital policy.”

“Then change the policy. You are aware of whose child it is you’re bringing to the world, aren’t you?”

Harry wanted the floor to open up and swallow him whole. He hated his fame, Hermione knew that, but it didn’t stop any of them from using the fame card when it was going to get them somewhere.

His shame was replaced with delight as the midwife looked at the clipboard in her hand, her jaw dropping. Immediately, her eyes swung to his forehead and her jaw snapped shut at the sight of his scar.

Her eyes then swung to Hermione, who she had patronised just seconds before, a look of awe written clearly on her face. Then to Ron, who was now famous in his own right for his part in the war.

“Yes, well. I’m sure something can be worked out.”

Harry could have sworn that Molly had covered up a giggle as the midwife moved towards Ginny, preparing her for the birth. He turned to his family, Hermione first, and kissed her on the cheek.

“Thanks, Hermione.”

“Pleasure, Harry,” she said with a smile. “Sorry about — well, you know, but honestly. A ridiculous policy.”

“It’s fine.” Before Harry could finish, he felt Ron’s beefy hand slap him on the shoulder and before he had fully turned to his friend — his brother — he was being embraced awkwardly.

“I can’t believe you’re going to be a dad! Poor kid, he’s gonna be dead ickle.”

“Shut up, Ron,” Harry said with a grin. Just as Molly was reaching for him, no doubt to crush him in a hug, Ginny was being wheeled out in what looked like a floating chair.

She groped for his hand and squeezed it as hard as she could. He was sure she broke three of his fingers as they started down the corridor.

“Oi, Harry!” Harry turned to look at Ron quizically.

“Yeah?”

“Nice pyjamas.”

Harry looked at Ron in puzzlement before looking down at himself, feeling instant embarrassment. Ron was almost crying with hilarity at the site of Harry’s pyjamas. They had been a joke-birthday present from Ginny that year, emerald green with Snitches that really moved on them.

Be in such a panic you forget you’re still in your pyjamas. Check.

Shaking his head ruefully, he ignored Ron as he made his way to the delivery room, his wife calling him every name under the son, and his legs feeling as if they were made entirely of Treacle Tart.

~*~

“One more push, Ginny, you can do it.”

“Shut up, Potter, before I take your wand and- ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!” Ginny’s face turned red as she gave one last push and squeezed Harry’s hand until it turned purple.

The baby screamed straight away and Harry laughed in disbelief. He had tears pouring down his face as he placed his head on top of Ginny’s, waiting for the doctor or midwife to tell them what it was.

“It’s a girl!” The midwife said with delight. Ginny let out a sob as the baby, messy as it was, was placed in her arms. It was covered in blood, wrinkly and screaming its lungs out.

Harry had never felt so proud, so touched and so awed all at one time.

“A girl,” Ginny cooed softly as the midwife took the baby to clean her up. “We made a girl, Harry. A Weasley girl. Did you see?”

Harry, who was unable to get words past the lump in his throat, nodded and let out a sob of his own. He had a family.

“I know you kept calling her a he, Harry, but-“

Swallowing the lump in his throat, he looked his wife dead in the eye. “She’s perfect, Ginny. Just like her Mum. I wouldn’t want to start our family in any other way.”

“Mrs. Potter, your family’s outside. Shall I-?” The midwife asked as she placed their baby back in Ginny’s arms.

“Harry, do you mind going to them?”

Without a word, Harry walked out of the delivery room and into the arms of Molly Weasley. He realised with a jolt that it was the first time he had voluntarily hugged her.

“Thank you, Molly,” he whispered, hoping she knew what he was thanking her for.

He pulled back, his pyjamas and the tears pouring down his face completely unimportant compared to what his wife had just done.

He took a deep breath. “It’s a girl,” he announced with a big grin and was immediately surrounded by the entire Weasley family.

He hadn’t even noticed that the twins, Charlie, Bill and Percy were there until their wives or girlfriends squealed with delight.

“What are you going to name her, Harry?” Hermione asked tentatively.

“We don’t know yet. I’d only thought of boys names.” He laughed at this, already unable to imagine his life without his daughter in it, nameless as she was.

“I’m sure they’ll bring Ginny out soon, if you guys wanted to, I don’t know, go home for showers or coffee or something?”

“Don’t be daft!” One of the twins said, loudly. “We’re bursting to meet our next vic- err, our niece!”

“Right, well, I better get back in then. See you in a bit.”

“Harry, dear?” Molly put a hand on his arm. “Congratulations.”

He felt a wide grin split his face as he walked back into the delivery room, his grin spreading even wider when he saw the look on Ginny’s face as she gazed down at their daughter.

“Oh, Harry, look. Her hair’s already your colour! Would you like to hold her?”

Harry stopped in his tracks. “Err, umm, actually-“

“Oh Harry, you won’t drop her. Just support her neck and cradle her like I am.”

With great trepidation, Harry reached for the baby, being careful to support her neck and not touch the crown of her head.

Once he had her resting in the crook of his elbow, he realised with a shock that her feet barely came to his wrist.

“Hello, bub,” he said softly, gazing at her in wonder. “I’m your Daddy. I promise to protect you forever.”

He looked at Ginny, surprised to see tears pouring down her face anew.

“You’re going to be an amazing father, Harry. She’s the luckiest girl in the world.”

“Hermione asked me if we named her yet, have you thought of any girls names?”

Ginny laughed and wiped her face, shaking her head ruefully.

“Being the organised soul that I am, I have actually. I rather like one that I’m sure you won’t like.”

“Oh, what is it then?”

Neither of them had noticed the entrance of Ron and Hermione, who had snuck into the delivery room — much as they had whenever Harry was lying in the Hospital Wing at Hogwarts.

“Max.”

“You want to call our daughter Max?”

“Maxine, actually, but Max for short.”

“Ginny,” Harry said patiently. “That’s a boys name.”

“Actually,” Ron said from behind him, making Harry startle and spin around. “It’s female and means 'Greatest' in Latin.”

Harry felt his jaw drop as he looked at his best mate.

“What?” Ron asked indignantly. “You think I’ve been living with Hermione all this time and not learned anything?”

Harry scoffed and looked down at his daughter. She and her mother were certainly the greatest things that had happened in his life. He reached a hand out to Ginny, who gripped it firmly and waited for his answer.

He had never felt as complete as he did at that moment, looking into his wife’s smiling, exhausted face and with his daughter starting to move restlessly against his arm. He looked down at the baby again.

“Hello, Max.”

~FIN~

A/N There's still no fluff as a warning option. *grin* Thanks for reading! Katie
Reviews 26
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear