Search:

SIYE Time:5:32 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Even Now
By thejsq

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 15
Summary: Ginny explains her "crush" on Harry. Companion piece to Baggage. From Ginny's POV.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4274







ChapterPrinter


I do not own Harry Potter, nor anything else in JKR's magical universe.

It had been nearly a week since Harry had first started behaving strangely, even for Harry. He kept looking at her, opening his mouth to speak, but suddenly deciding against it. Ginny could pinpoint the time it started — right after Hermione’d arrived and her and Ron’s giant row.

Ron and Hermione had come to an awkward sort of truce about the Krum issue, and were currently working on their summer essays in the Grimmauld Place library. Ginny had had quite enough of her essays; she made use of the dreary evening by relaxing with Harry in the drawing room.

Ginny divided her time between watching her chess pieces — Ron’s, really — and watching Harry. Harry was so preoccupied that Ginny was beating him soundly, even with only half her attention focused on the game.

“Ginny?” Harry ventured.

She looked up from the chessboard to indicate that he had her attention.

“I want to ask you a question and I want you to promise not to yell…or hex me,” Harry began.

Ginny raised an eyebrow and pushed herself back from the chessboard. “You’ve been distracted all night. Go ahead,” Ginny answered. She had no intention of promising not to yell — her temper was something beyond her control.

“Before, er…” Harry mumbled. Ginny thought she detected a slight blush on his cheeks, but couldn’t be sure. Nothing could rival a Weasley blush, she reasoned.

Harry scratched the back of his neck and started again. Ginny noticed that he wouldn’t meet her eyes.

“Ginny, your first year until… er, until you stopped, why did you fancy me?” Harry looked at his shoes. Ginny knew that, had he been looking, Harry would’ve had no problem noticing her blush — an official Weasley tomato-blush, complete with pink ears.

But Harry pressed on, not looking up, “I’m not trying to embarrass you or anything, it’s just that Ron said…and Cho only liked me because of Cedric and Parvati only went with me to the Yule Ball because I was a Hogwart’s Champion and… yeah.”

Ginny struggled inwardly for a few seconds, compassion warring against embarrassment, before answering.

“It wasn’t just because you’re famous, Harry,” Ginny almost whispered. She attempted to quell the blushing, lest Harry get the wrong idea.

Harry jerked his head up and looked at her. His eyes were bright and he was smiling, for once. Despite feeling utterly humiliated, Ginny was glad she’d made him smile — really smile — it had become too rare an occurrence. Ginny noticed that Harry really was quite charming when he smiled.

“Thanks,” he whispered back.

“Ron talked about you a lot after your first year,” Ginny explained. “How you were so brave when you saved Hermione from the troll and found the Sorcerer’s Stone. And he said you didn’t care that he was poor…”

She took a breath and continued, “And that you were the youngest seeker in a century, but you never bragged about it. He also said how you didn’t like being treated differently just because you’re ‘famous Harry Potter.’ And then I met you, and it was all true.”

She knew that she was babbling, but she couldn’t stop herself. After all, Harry had been her favorite topic for years and she’d never really gotten a chance to justify herself — it felt sort of…liberating.

Harry just looked at her. He seemed to be in shock from her soliloquy. Ginny knew she should just cut her losses and stop talking, for the love of Merlin, but she couldn’t — seeing Harry happy was worth more than her pride.

“Harry, people like you because you’re you, not because you’re famous. Ron and Hermione certainly don’t care. It’s never gotten Hermione anywhere except the hospital wing.”

Harry snorted at that.

“And I know Ron would rather have just plain old Harry than a celebrity any day,” Ginny finished.

“Thanks,” was all that Harry could get out.

“I think I’ll turn in,” Ginny said, with an exaggerated yawn — she was certain Harry would know how fake it was. She turned to go, but stopped when she got to the door and smiled at Harry. “All those things are still true, you know.”



Once out of Harry’s earshot, Ginny sprinted to the library.

“Hermione!” Ginny hissed from the doorway. “Code green. Our room. Now.” Code Green had been their old code for Harry problems — of the debilitating crush variety.

The older girl’s eyebrows shot into her bushy hair and she hastily packed her essay away, saying a cursory goodbye to Ron as she caught up with Ginny in the hall.

Ginny led Hermione to their shared room before flopping on her bed. She kicked off her shoes and sighed dramatically before speaking.

“I’m doomed,” Ginny began, staring at the odd patterns on the ceiling.

“Again?” Hermione asked. She seemed amused — something Ginny did not appreciate.

“Hermione,” Ginny moaned, drawing out each syllable. “I need your support — it’s not funny!”

“I’m listening,” Hermione said, taking the chair across from Ginny’s bed. She still looked a bit too smug and amused for Ginny’s liking, but it was a slight improvement.

“I’m not there yet,” Ginny started, “Not completely lost to the Harry-mania, but I could be.” Ginny recounted the scene in the drawing room.

“So after I told him why I’d fancied him, I started thinking — even now, it is all still true, only now he’s also handsome and actually talking to me,” Ginny mused aloud. “So, the only reason I don’t fancy him anymore is that I won’t let myself. Do you know how dangerous that is, Hermione?”

Ginny got up and started pacing. “All he’ll have to do is smile at me, or look at me the right way, or I don’t know just rumple his hair just so… and I’m a goner.”

Ginny kicked the bedpost.

“It’s quite simple, Ginny. You’ve done it for more than a year — just keep up what you’ve been doing. It’s your choice,” Hermione advised. “Unless, you don’t want to give up on Harry.”

Ginny stopped pacing. Hermione was looking at her out of the corner of her eye. Ginny knew she’d been caught. She nodded and slumped into the bed pillows.

“It’s just so easy to like Harry. So comfortable,” Ginny explained to herself more than to Hermione. Hermione already knew anyway — that was the problem with ruddy genius best-friends. “It’s so right.”

Hermione finally lost her battle with the smirk she’d been trying to hide.

“Maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” Hermione said as she slipped out the door, dressing gown in hand.

Ginny knew that Hermione, if allowed, would prepare and execute a plan for Ginny to woo and win Harry. At the moment, however, she was content to welcome back the old Harry feelings with open arms. She knew that she’d never really gotten over him; It felt good to finally admit it, even if only to herself.

Fin

A/N: I've never tried Ginny's POV before. It was harder than I anticipated. Please review; I want to know if I got it right.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear