Search:

SIYE Time:10:17 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Rest is Coming
By Ginger Snap

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Extreme Language
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 16
Summary: Ginny Weasley comes to terms with her past, and catches a glimpse of the future.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4118







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters, nor am I making any money off of this. It all belong to JK Rowling

The Rest is Coming

It was summer again. The sun had just slipped below the trees surrounding The Burrow. The house was empty except for Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter. Ginny sat at her desk, leaning back in her chair. She stared at the ceiling. Why did he have to stay here? She thought.

The events at the Department of Mysteries were weighing heavily on her mind. She thought of Harry almost dying. She thought of Sirius actually dying. Whenever she thought about that night her mind would begin to wander back to her first year at Hogwarts. That had been the worst year of her life. Time, she discovered, could not heal all wounds.

Ginny opened a drawer in her desk and took out a tattered old diary. She began to write. ‘Dear Tom,' She used the same greeting every time she wrote in it over the last five years. The black leather cover was worn and faded, much like her young soul. The pain was still there, hidden deeply behind her soft brown eyes. As she stared at the page in front of her, it stared back, blank and unassuming. Those pages, oh those pages didn't stare back blankly. They stared back with hollow tortured eyes. They stared back with Ginny's eyes.

Her thoughts drifted back to when it all began five years ago. She had found the book, and began writing in it. She wrote the simplest of lines. ‘Hello, my name is Ginevra Weasley, and I am in love with Harry Potter.' She was surprised when the diary wrote back. ‘Hello Ginevra Weasley. My name is Tom Riddle. Tell me about Harry Potter.'

Her hand was trembling slightly as her thoughts came back to the present. She continued writing. ‘Let me tell you about Harry Potter.' Unlike the diary from years ago, this one did not write back. There were times, like right now, that she almost wished it would. At least then she would not have to be so alone with only her thoughts for company.

She was not sure why she still wrote to Tom. This diary was not the same. Actually, it was the same diary, she reminded herself as her hand slowly caressed the page. Her fingers finally came to rest on the hole from where Harry had plunged the basilisk fang through the book, and through the heart of Tom Riddle. Harry didn't know it, but he had pierced the heart of her best friend, and sometimes it felt as if he had driven the fang through her own heart.

It was his fault. Harry Potter had done this to her. With one swift stroke, she was now broken. I'm through bleeding for you, Harry, she thought. One way or another, he was going to make her whole again, and it would happen tonight.

Ginny awoke with a start. She had managed to make it over to her bed before falling into a deep tortured sleep. She rolled over onto her back and realized she her diary was wrapped tightly in her arms. Her eyes stung from the tears she had shed during her nightmare.

"Ginny," said the voice on the other side of her door. She quickly realized it was this voice that had awoken her.

"Go away," Ginny said feebly.

"I heard you crying. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she answered bitterly as she got up and walked towards the door. She leaned up against the cold wall beside the door and reached out her hand. She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. With tears streaming through closed eyes, her hand found the doorknob and slowly turned it. "Oh, Harry," was all she could say as the door slowly opened.

"Ginny, what's wrong?" asked Harry with obvious concern.

Harry stepped through the door. Ginny was slumped against the wall. Her face was streaked with tears, and in her hand was the diary. She was holding it so tightly her knuckles were white and trembling.

"Harry." She said in a cracked whisper. Her shoulders were shaking as she tried to control her sobs. She raised her head and looked into his eyes. She could see his concern. As she sank into his eyes, she wrapped her other hand around the diary and stood there clutching it.

"Ginny, what is that?" Harry asked with a curious tone.

"It's…it's nothing," stammered Ginny as she dropped her head and looked at the floor.

"Ginny," gasped Harry, as recognition shone on his face. "Is that Riddle's diary?"

Ginny's head snapped up at the mention of Tom Riddle's name. The tears went away, and the sadness in her eyes was replaced with anger. Her grip loosened slightly as she said, "I'm glad you recognized it."

Harry reached out and grabbed the book. "How did you get this back? I gave it back to Mr. Malfoy. Did Draco give it to you? If he did…" said Harry with mounting anger in his voice. He was cut off when Ginny interrupted.

"It wasn't Malfoy. Fred and George found it and gave it back to me. They had no idea what had happened to it. Now can I have it back?" she asked forcefully.

"Why did you keep it?" asked Harry angrily as he flipped through the pages. His head shot up and the look he gave Ginny made her shudder. "Why are you still using it?"

"Because I needed a diary," spat Ginny sarcastically.

"Why this one? Why not go find another one?" asked Harry in a slightly calmer voice.

"I couldn't afford another one after you ruined this one," replied Ginny in the same sarcastic tone. She turned away from him and looked up. Her eyes slid slowly closed as she took a deep breath. She was trying desperately to hold back the tears that were filling her eyes.

"After what it did to you? I would have gotten you another…" shouted Harry before being cut off.

"It didn't do anything to me. I did it to myself!" screamed Ginny. Her eyes were full of fire as she continued, "What was I supposed to do? Ask the great famous Harry Potter to buy the little girl a new diary?"

"That's a really thin excuse. It possessed you Ginny, or have you forgotten?" yelled Harry. His eyes closed in a wince the second the words left his mouth.

"No. Unlike you, I haven't ever forgotten," said Ginny coldly and calmly. She was staring at Harry with a bitterness she had not felt in a long time.

"Well then, get rid of the damn thing!" shouted Harry in a pleading voice.

"Why? Because you want me to?" asked Ginny, the bitterness still in her voice.

"No," groaned Harry as he cocked his head to one side

"Because you care, then?" asked Ginny, the bitterness now dripping with sarcasm.

Harry took a step towards Ginny as his voice rose again. "Because you almost killed me. You almost killed Hermione, Colin, Justin. . ." began Harry, counting the names off on his fingers.

Ginny's face was becoming even redder than it had been. Her fists were balled up tightly at her side. She looked as if she could explode at any second.

"Hell, you almost killed yourself," screamed Harry inches from Ginny's face as he threw his arms into the air in complete exasperation.

Ginny turned away, took a step, then rounded on him with a fury so deep she could no longer think straight. "Fuck you, Harry! You know it wasn't me. You're the one always saying it wasn't me!" she yelled at the top of her lungs, sending a mixture of sweat, saliva and tears into Harry's face.

Harry backed away from Ginny and said softly, "I'm so sorry Ginny." He was unable to look her in the eye.

Ginny had a fire raging through her that she had never felt before. How could he say that? His words stung her more than she could have ever imagined. The tears that had been falling freely suddenly stopped. She was out of tears, if just for the moment. She wanted to hurt him. She wanted to make him feel the pain he had caused her.

"Yeah well, do you know what Harry?" said Ginny with a coolness that chilled the air.

"What?" spat Harry.

"The last time I ever spoke with Sirius…" began Ginny,

"Don't bring him into this!" warned Harry as his face grew dark. His eyes narrowed.

"He said he was going to knock some sense into you," continued Ginny, ignoring Harry's warning. "Fine load of good that did huh?"

"I said don't bring him into this!" yelled Harry.

Ginny could see the tears building in Harry's eyes at the mention of his godfather. She could feel the tears in her eyes as she thought back to New Years' Eve. The memory of Sirius and later, his death was still fresh in her mind. She did not know him as well as she would have liked, but that moment they had shared would be with her for the rest of her life. A flood of memories began to pour through her mind, and she could feel the anger and hurt rising in herself again.

"I’ll say what ever I want about him. He may have been your godfather, but I was his friend." Ginny said loudly, not taking her eyes off of him.

Harry just stood there staring at her.

“What’s wrong Harry? Can’t think of anything to say?” yelled Ginny, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

When Harry finally found his voice, he shouted "Yeah, well I've got a lot more sense than you'll ever have. I know enough not to carry around an old mucked up diary…"

"Is that what this is really about, Harry?" shouted Ginny interrupting him. "My diary?" She waited just a second for a response that never came.

Harry was looking directly at her. She found it difficult to meet his eyes this time.

"Or is it something else?" she said quietly at the floor. With a deep breath, she looked up and said "Well, you know what?"

"What?" said Harry in an irritated voice.

"That was more than just a diary Harry. I poured my soul into it," confessed Ginny as she began to sob heavily again. Her head drooped down again as she drew a hand to her face and wiped the tears from her eye.

"It ripped your soul out, more like!"

Ginny's head shot up at those words. She ran her sleeve across her nose. "You son of a bitch. You did that to me. You broke me, Harry Potter!" screamed Ginny through her tears.

"I did this?" yelled Harry with a tone of disbelief. "That diary…you…geez Ginny, you've had that thing for the last 5 years? You're still writing to Tom? Why?"

"None of your business. Like you'd care anyway," mumbled Ginny, as she stared at the floor.

"Like I'd care? You think I don't care?" asked Harry in a bewildered voice.

"Oh, that's right, play stupid," said Ginny, rolling her eyes. She took a deep breath, set her jaw and continued. "That year I had it, I spilled everything. Everything, Harry! Every time I thought about you, every time I saw you doing something cute, every time you were worried, every thought I ever had about you went into that book." She paused as she looked up at his face. Harry had tears freely flowing down his cheeks.

"I thought I was in love with you, Harry," Ginny confessed pleadingly. Her eyes closed tightly, forcing yet more tears down her cheeks onto her tear-stained shirt. She slowly opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling. She paused for a moment and then continued. "I told Tom all about it. He was my best friend. Who else could I talk to? Tom was a part of me, Harry. He had consumed me. A part of me fell in love with him too. I hated that part of me, but when you live with the pain for so long, it becomes a part of who you are. He made a hole in me that he alone filled. I needed him. I couldn't let go."

"Ginny," Harry said quietly.

She quickly held up her hand to quiet him. She shook her head, blinked her eyes several times and slowly drew in a breath. When she was finally able to speak again, her voice was hoarse and cracking. "He made me write my own death message, but you know what?" she said with a slight chuckle. "I wanted to die. I just wanted it to be over. Then you came." Her eyes met his at those words. She could see concern written in them. She wanted to break away from his gaze, but she couldn't. "When you put that fang through the diary, it woke me up, but it hurt. It hurt Harry. When you did that, you ripped a piece out of me. The pain was gone, but the emptiness it left was unbearable. You killed my best friend! You tore my heart right out of me!"

"Ginny, I didn't…" began Harry. He opened his arms and took a step towards her, never taking his eyes away from hers.

Ginny put her outstretched hand on his chest, and gently pushed him away. "No Harry, don't. Just go."

Harry's shoulders sagged as each word hit him. Finally, completely resigned, he turned and walked away from her. "There are people that love you, Ginny," he whispered with a glance over his shoulder, and he kept on walking.

As soon as the door was shut, she picked up the diary, tore it open and began to yell.

"You bastard! I gave you my soul! NO! You STOLE my soul! You made me…you made me…I gave you…you stole…" Ginny trailed off, dissolving into silent heavy sobs. Her chest was so heavy and tight, she could not breathe. She opened her mouth to continue, but all that escaped was the soft cracking sound of her slowly escaping breath. She fell back against the wall, and slid slowly down as her knees buckled under the burden of five years of pain. The diary dropped from her grip. "AAARRRGGGHHH" she screamed as she threw out her fists, swinging them back against the cold wall. The pain that radiated through her arms as her fists struck made her wince, but at the same time it made her feel alive.

"Fuck you, Tom Riddle! Fuck You!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. She kicked aimlessly as she felt cold shivers consume her. This time Ginny completely broke. She picked up the diary that was still lying next to her and threw it across the room with a loud scream. The anger, shame and guilt finally came pouring out in wave after wave of full body convulsive crying.

She sat on the floor for what seemed like hours. Slowly, she opened her eyes. She had stopped crying, but was still shaking. Every muscle in her body ached. Finally, through her burning eyes, she spied the diary lying open and torn on the other side of her room. She struggled to her feet and slowly made her way towards it. Once she had reached it, she gingerly bent over and picked it up. She sat down at her desk, picked up her quill, opened the diary and began writing where she had left off.

‘I'm through bleeding for you, Tom' she wrote. A sudden feeling of calmness overtook her as she looked at the words she had written. The corners of her mouth began twitching, and drew up slightly as she wrote the next line. ‘I love Harry Potter.'

She looked at the words she had written on the page. She began to smile as she heard Harry's voice whispering in her mind. I am going to be whole again soon, she thought. With that, she closed the diary.

Leaving the diary on her desk, she cleared everything else off. She slowly drew out her wand and with a flick of her wrist she said forcefully "Incendio!" The diary burst into flames.

She stood watching the diary burn until it was nothing more than a pile of ashes. Once the flames had died away, she went over and fell onto her bed. She just laid there staring at the ceiling with a big smile on her face.

A few minutes later, there was a tapping at her window. She sat up and looked over. A large brown owl sat on the sill gazing into her room. She got up, walked to the window and let it in. The owl flew in and landed on her desk, blowing ashes everywhere. Ginny carefully removed the rolled up parchment that had been attached to its leg. As soon as the parchment had been removed, the owl took off through the still open window.

Ginny unrolled the parchment, leaving the window open. It read:

The Improper Use of Magic Office

Dear Miss Ginevra Weasley,

We have received intelligence that a spell was cast in your room at precisely seventeen minutes before midnight. We need to remind you that the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Magic forbids magic by underage wizards.



Authors Notes: Well, there it is. This is my first attempt at angst. I hope you enjoyed it. I absolutely loved writing it. I can’t say that it was fun to write though. The anger and raw emotion that had to pour through me and onto the pages was intense. One cannot help but be affected by it.

I have to thank my betas LuvGinnyArwen and Laura Laurent! Without your help, this would not have been publishable. You two are amazing!

Laura, I don’t really know what to say. Your kind words and the fact that they were coming from you, one of the best authors around…Wow! I am still trying to figure out how I can possibly deserve them. Thank you.

If you are at all interested in my thought process, goals, motivations, and reasoning behind this piece, either email me, or Personal Message me at Requiem. I would include it here, but it will probably be just about as long as the story itself.

Please review. That’s the only way I can get better.
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear