Search:

SIYE Time:7:22 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Many Times After
By Luna_Lovegood831

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death, Violence, Dark Fiction
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 7
Summary: She sat alone in front of the fire at the Burrow. The final battle had occurred many months before and yet she was still reliving the memory. This is a one shot, Ginny remembering Harry.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4048







ChapterPrinter


She sat alone, in front of the fire at the Burrow. Everyone else had long since gone to bed, tired, and tried from her emotional emptiness. She had been this way since the battle. Always silently reflecting on the final battle, on the one moment that had torn her heart out, that had left her hollow. It had happened months ago, and she still didn’t believe it. He was gone. He was gone and she hated him for it. The memory flashed before her eyes, this time, like the many times before, she gave herself in to the memory.

*****


They were walking down the Hogwarts grounds. Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, Lupin, Moody, even Trelawney, made the front lines, with the Hogwarts ghosts, Hagrid, Grawp, and Madame Maxime. Sprinkled through out the battlefield were all the Order members, in various lines of defense.


Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, the rest of the Weasleys, and Professor Dumbledore brought up the rear. Ginny looked around. Ron stood between Hermione and Harry, looking determined, strong, brave, and not the least bit scared. Her gaze shifted to Hermione. She mirrored Ron’s commanding look. Ginny moved her eyes to Dumbledore. The air around him crackled, and Ginny was struck once again by his power. She once again moved her eyes, and they rested on each of her family members in turn. They all looked so determined; especially her mum. She had had her son taken away from her because of Voldemort, her entire family threatened to be ripped apart on this night. Ginny almost felt sorry for the first Death Eater her mother came across. Finally she looked to Harry, standing at her right. She gasped when she noticed that he radiated more power than Dumbledore. She had felt so certain he would win, that he would come back alive.


They continued down the Hogwarts grounds, the sounds of battle growing louder and louder as they moved onward. She felt the power on her right, Harry, and her left, Dumbledore, intensify with every passing second. They trudged along, finally coming upon their task. They were the last defense, their only objective: get Harry to Voldemort, watch his back, or die trying.


Ginny knew they were getting closer; she could hear Voldemort’s merciless cackle. A huge explosion sounded, and bodies were scattered everywhere. Two landed in front of her. She gasped when she saw the lifeless eyes of Kingsley Shacklebolt looking up at her. She clenched her fist, gritted her teeth, and looked to the other person. She felt her heart constrict in her chest.


“No,” was all she could manage. Laying there was the body of brave, noble, kind-hearted Hagrid. She leaned down, closed the eyes that had once held such life, and planted a kiss on his cheek. Whoever had done this to Hagrid would pay in blood.


She set her jaw, and looked at Harry. His aura sparkled with even more magic than before, as she saw tears leak down his cheek. She placed a hand on his shoulder, and silently urged him onward. There would be time for grieving later. If they let their guard down now, the price would be more innocent lives. More lives of the people they loved. He nodded at her, somehow reassuring her more with that little gesture than any words possibly could have.


They walked past bodies of fallen comrades, and fallen enemies. Various Slytherins who had gone with their own ambition, chosen Voldemort’s side over family, over friends. Various Gryffindors who had shown their true Gryffindor bravery. Members of other houses who had made not the easy choice, but the right one, who had died in the name of all that was good. Scattered among the brave but nameless faces were people they did know. Cho Chang lay next to a fallen Death Eater; as did Michael Corner, Seamus Finnegan, Dean Thomas, and even Luna Lovegood, the girl everyone made fun of was lying behind Neville, she had obviously died protecting Neville. Brave Neville, thankfully stood amongst them all, wand pointed at the now limp body of Bellatrix Lestrange. He was shaking, crying silently. She put a reassuring hand on his shoulder and he placed his hand on top of hers. He followed them down towards the still raging battle.


They moved on, and finally they reached him, in the center of the battle, surrounded by dementors. Fiery patronuses, (Ginny and Hermione had altered the spell so it could now kill the dementors); stag, owl, otter, lion, phoenix, snake, and wolf alike shot out of their wands. With final waves of despair sweeping over the battlefield, the dementors vanished, and the very last of their kind, existed no more. Voldemort stood exposed, but not for long. Death Eaters appeared every few feet. Everyone took to dueling fiercely, as Harry walked calmly along the center to face Voldemort. Gone was the boy who had once let emotion control him and thrown both caution and reason to the wind. In his place was the man who he had evolved into. The man whose eyes sparkled with premature age and wisdom, the man who now had been forced to learn how to kill in a kill or be killed world. Voldemort and Harry faced each other.


“Bow to death, snake.” Harry spat, all the hatred and anger towards this thing that had taken away his parents, taken away his family, taken away his innocence, coursed through is veins.


Voldemort bowed, shocked, recognizing for the first time ever that Harry was now his equal, or possibly even his superior.


Harry shot the first spell, which Voldemort blocked easily. Almost all of the Death Eaters had been killed, and most of the people had turned to watch the final part of the final battle, the deciding moments of life in the wizarding world as they knew it.


Brutal dueling continued for how long no one could remember. No one would risk distracting Harry by casting a spell at Voldemort. It finally looked as if the end was near.


“AVADA KEDAVRA!” Harry shot the final spell at Voldemort. The snake-like creature fell to the ground in a heap, and was no more.


Harry turned to Ginny, “I love you.” He mouthed. Ginny drew in breath really quickly, and everyone turned away, smiling in the midst of hell. It was the first time he had ever said that. He had told her that nothing could happen. She knew he had been trying to keep her safe, so she had waited like she had done her whole life. She trusted to the feeling in her heart, that one day, one day, he would confess his love for her.


Ginny made her way over to him, slowly at first. “I love you too!” she shouted back.


She took off at a run when behind him appeared Lucius Malfoy. She yelled to Harry, but it was too late. Malfoy Sr. made a slashing movement with his wand, and Harry fell forward, blood spurting all over his robes.


“Too easy,” Malfoy cackled. “I would have used the same one on Hagrid, but it was in the middle of battle, and would have taken too long. On top of that, his scum, giant skin probably would have blocked it.” Those were his last words. Harry and Ginny had shouted the killing curse at the same time.


Ginny got to Harry’s side and started trying every healing spell she knew. Nothing worked.


“Stop Gin,” Harry sighed, “It won’t work.”


“You don’t know that,” she choked out, though even she knew it was useless.


“I love you. I’ll always be with you. Tell everyone what they mean to me.” He coughed. “I love you.”


“I love you too. Don’t leave me Harry. Please don’t leave.” She whispered, tears staining her cheeks. She held him in her arms and cried.


With great effort, he lifted his head and kissed her softly.


“Don’t forget Gin,” he said with a pained expression on his face, “Don’t forget.” He drew in his last breath, “I love you.”


She vaguely recalled voices and sobs of the people who had realized what happened around them, but nothing stood out clearly. She held Harry against her and cried like she had never cried before. She cried like she would many times after.


*****


Ginny stared into the fire, unable to breathe, wondered if she would ever breathe again. Her chest was constricted with pain, her breathing harsh, when she felt it. She felt like she was being wrapped in the tightest hug of her life.


“Don’t forget Gin,” a voice said in her ear. She relaxed into the ghostly embrace, knew no one was physically there. She knew that it was their love holding her up, and knew that this feeling would get her through all the sleepless nights that awaited her. She knew she would feel him there with her many times after.
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear