Search:

SIYE Time:21:55 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Red Is The Heart
By St Margarets

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 423
Summary: "In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you." Harry begins to understand the truth of this statement as he learns valuable lessons in love, friendship, and choices during his sixth year. A fluffy H/G tale of adventure. A sequel to the "Wallpaper" trilogy. (Read that first.)


Hitcount: Story Total: 109733; Chapter Total: 7607







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A/N Thanks to Jo Wickaninnish and Julu for the beta reads. And thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed so far!

Chapter Three: Lunch

Harry didn't tell Ginny about his lesson with Dumbledore, or about Ron's encounter with Theodore Nott, the next day at lunch. He still didn't understand what it all meant, and he didn't want to bring up something that important during their rushed meals. He was reminded of Ron's encounter a few weeks later, however, when Luna Lovegood joined them for lunch.

Not that Harry really minded. Luna was Ginny's friend, and in a strange way, his as well. Her sporadic visits were bound to be interesting, so Harry only shrugged in resignation when he saw her making her way over from the Ravenclaw table, her golden butterfly earrings winking in the sunlight from the enchanted ceiling. She began the conversation with no preamble. "Did you know that Theodore Nott's mother is dead?"

Harry didn't know that. He looked at Ginny, who wore a sympathetic frown.

"Now that his father is in prison--he's all alone." Luna looked up at the ceiling, squinting against the clear light of the noon hour.

They sat in silence.

Really, Harry thought, what could you say to such an announcement: too bad, now pass the salt?

Luna looked unblinkingly from Harry to Ginny. "Do you think a plant can live without water and sun?"

"Well--" Ginny started.

Luna's butterflies quivered a little as she leaned forward. "Because a plant has to have water, sun and earth. Theoretically it can live without one, but not without two." Ginny looked at her helplessly.

"Theodore Nott-not only is his father in prison, but all of Slytherin house hates him since they don't want to be associated with known Death Eaters."

Harry remembered Luna looking for her things last year at the end of term. No wonder she felt sympathy for Nott.

"What can we possibly do?" Ginny asked.

"Sometimes even a drop of water can make a difference," Luna replied, before dipping her spoon into her soup.

Harry looked over at the Slytherin table, which wasn't as crowded this year. Nott was sitting away from the rest, his eyes never leaving his plate. It didn't seem possible that they could help Theodore Nott-even so Harry thought, he must be the loneliest person at Hogwarts.

*

"Professor-do I really go into a chrysalis?" Harry asked at the end of one of his private lessons.

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair. "Yes, you do. Couldn't you tell when you were flying with Hedwig?"

Hedwig hooted at the sound of her name.

"Yes-" He hesitated. "I mean I had the sensation of flying-but I always feel a pain in my chest. If my body is dissolved, why does my chest hurt?"

"Where do you think the essence of you is located?"

"I don't know. I guess at the center of things."

Dumbledore smiled approvingly. "That's a very good way to put it. Some say it's the heart-not as the physical muscle-but as the center of yourself."

"But-" Harry hesitated again, since this made no sense whatsoever. "But how can this center be so vast?"

Dumbledore smiled. "I see you've stumbled on one of the mysteries of the heart."

Harry waited for an explanation.

"Ah." Dumbledore spread his hands. "Only a poet or a madman would try to explain the unexplainable.

After a thoughtful silence, Harry blurted out another question. "What about? What about these colors? Is my chrysalis still black?"

"Yes it is, and heavy too-like lead. That will change-if you have the courage."

"What do you mean, courage?" Harry asked, fear clutching all of a sudden at his stomach.

"The next stage is to confront actions from the past." Dumbledore leaned forward. "Those you have done, and those which has been done to you." He looked at Harry with his keen blue gaze. "You know, of course, that it means you will have to re-live some unpleasantness?"

"Yeah," Harry said; dread filled his throat like a lump.

"When you are ready, of course. We still have a lot of training to do with Hedwig."

*

"Hi, I'm late because Snape wanted to finish his lecture on dissolving agents." Ginny said a little breathlessly as she sat in her usual spot across from Harry. She looked at the bowl in front of her. "Soup again?"

"Yeah, it's easier to make-just brew up a big cauldron full and ladle it out. Doesn't take as many elves."

"Did Hermione give them that idea?" Ginny asked picking up her spoon.

"How did you guess?" He laughed. "She's having a hard time being an objective, disengaged researcher. But it was a good idea. Now the elves are free at lunch to get other work done."

Ginny frowned. "Don't they do anything for fun?"

"That is their fun, as near as we can tell."

She giggled. "I think I should introduce them to Days of Destiny."

"You could pipe it into the cellar, but I don't think they could handle it. They're pretty conservative, you know."

"Really?" She looked up in surprise.

"Yeah-they're concerned about their work first, who they serve next, and then their own little families. I don't think they would approve of all the choices the characters make."

Harry pushed his dishes aside, and leaned on his elbow, thinking how lunch with Ginny was such a nice break. "So what's happening to ol' Roderick and Fiona now?"

"Well he survived the broom crash in the desert, but he can't Disapparate because he's on Lord Lyle's land."

"Don't tell me-Lord Lyle is his arch-enemy."

"How did you know?"

"Lucky guess. What about Fiona?"

"She's offered herself as a hostage to Lord Lyle in exchange for his freeing a group of school children."

"Where did he get the children? They were just wondering around in the desert?"

"I don't know." Ginny frowned. "I missed that episode. I only listen on Mondays and Fridays. Diane fills me in on the other."

"How's the diet going? She must be going crazy trying to divide soup."

"She has a new one now." She grinned. "Colors."

"Colors?"

"Yea h, you only eat one color per meal. Like if it is a green meal you can eat the cabbage and the peas. But no white-ever."

"But-what about potatoes and buns and biscuits?"

"Nope."

"Can't you try to talk her out this? She looks fine. She only has one chin, unlike my cousin Dudley."

Ginny waved that away. "Oh, it's a control thing. It's what she does well."

"Maybe she should get out more-play some Quidditch."

"Did you hear?" Her eyes gleamed. " I made Chaser."

"I heard," he said, noticing that her cheeks had gone a little pinker. "And I saw you practicing yesterday afternoon. Who's the other one?"

"Jeanne."

"Jeanne? Mr. Boots Jeanne?"

"Yes-and she's good. With more practice we should be able to score some points."

"You know, I noticed she's a good Quaffle handler, but her flying . . ."

Ginny sighed. "I know, Katie said the same thing. For some reason, Jeanne only likes to fly in straight lines. It's great for Katie and me-I mean, we always know where she's going to be."

"So will the Bludgers," Harry said.

"I reckon you'll have to watch out for her then." It was not a request.

"Ok," he said in a resigned tone. "I'll do my best between watching for the Snitch and trying not to be distracted by you."

She blushed. "You won't be distracted by me."

"I probably will," he said, realizing for the first time that having Ginny on the Pitch with him was going to be a novel experience. "I've never played Qudditch with you before."

"I'll just be a another nameless, faceless teammate, Harry. Come on, mind over matter."

He only smiled at her. A long time ago, the first time he ever saw her, she had been nameless. But even at eleven he had noticed her face, noticed her. No, he thought, she was going to be hard to ignore, even during a match.

Ginny frowned at him and then her face cleared. "At least our first match is against Slytherin."

We're going to slaughter them," he said with relish.

"Harry! You shouldn't rub their faces in it. They lost most of their veteran players."

"I just want to rub Snape's face in it." He noticed her look of disapproval with annoyance. "Don't think they're ickle innocent first year players-they're Slytherins-they'll find a way to hold their own."

"You really hate him don't you?"

Harry shifted uncomfortably-it wasn't a happy thing to admit you hated someone.

Ginny continued. "I couldn't believe how nasty he was to you when we took the Portkey on the first day. He's never very pleasant in class, but he isn't like that to anyone in our year."

"Really?" He couldn't imagine a fair and balanced Snape. "It's not just me-he's mean to Neville, especially."

"Neville? Why? He's so sweet."

He wasn't sure if he liked the affectionate tone Ginny used. "I thought that was my word."

"It is your word-to me at least." She smiled at him and shrugged. "Neville is sweet to everyone."

"And I'm not?" He was joking, but not really. Somehow he didn't want to hear Ginny praising any other blokes-even if it was Neville.

"Hmm-I think I just heard the words 'we're going to slaughter them' coming out of your mouth. That doesn't sound too sweet to me."

"True-you don't win at Quidditch by being sweet," he said a bit defensively.

"No you don't." She rolled her eyes. "You win by constant practice as Katie keeps drilling into our heads."

Rose hurried over. "Ginny! I've been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes. Remember we're supposed to go early to Transfiguration to pick out our hedgehogs?"

"Oh, I completely forgot!" She looked apologetically at Harry. "I have to go."

Some of his dismay must have showed on his face because she hastened to reassure him. "I'll come over and see you at supper. Ok?" Then she leaned over and whispered into his ear, "sweetie."

He smiled; he knew what she was trying to tell him. He just wished she could tell him that in other ways. Since that time outside of the greenhouses, he hadn't kissed her once. He sighed and again counted the days until the first Hogsmeade weekend.

*

It was the Friday before Hogsmeade and Harry was in a good mood. Fridays were always interesting because this was the day the Ministry Aurors came in to teach the hands-on stuff. All four houses of each year took the class together. Every week the instructor was different.

As they made their way to Great Hall with the rest of the sixth years, Ron and Seamus speculated about whom the teacher might be today.

"I heard it was going to be the female Auror who can change her appearance."

"Tonks you mean," Ron said. "Yeah she would be good."

"Well, she'd be easier on the eye than that Moody bloke," Seamus mused.

"I hardly think appearances are a good way to judge a teacher," Hermione said hotly. "Moody knew what he was doing."

"Oh, please Hermione," Ron said, "you didn't have any trouble learning from the best smile winner back in our second year."

Harry could sense that this was going to turn into a bigger argument than necessary, so he was glad to have something to distract them with. "Hey-guess who it is! It's Professor Lupin!"

The students were genuinely happy to see their former professor again, as he had been a very popular teacher. There were a few who hung back, probably remembering every tall-tale they had heard about werewolves, but for the most part it was an eager group who gathered there.

"But he doesn't work for the Ministry," Hermione murmured.

"Oh, you know Dumbledore," I'm sure he just went ahead and hired him. "Maybe the Aurors are busy dismantling Malfoy's house or something," Ron said.

Professor Lupin looked just as happy to be back as his students. He immediately plunged into a demonstration of Shield Charms, and then instructed the class to divide into pairs.

"Harry, could you help me? I'd like you to watch the groups on that side of the Hall. Make sure the shields are large enough to deflect the spell from head to toe."

Then he said to the class, "The hex is the Full-Body Bind. Remember to draw your wand all the way around you when saying the incantation for the shield."

Harry made his way over to the Ravenclaw and Slytherin pairs. Padma Patil and a Ravenclaw girl with curly red hair were practicing. He couldn't help but think how much prettier Ginny's hair was . . .

A hard thud brought him out of his reverie. Michael Corner and Anthony Goldstein were having difficulties. Anthony had forgotten to cover his feet in the spell. The effect of the invisible bindings caused him to trip and fall. Harry gave him a hand up and offered some suggestions. Michael Corner was laughing at Anthony and appeared to be having a good time. Harry marveled at how Michael could be happy after having Ginny break up with him.

Eventually he had to make his way to the Slytherins. Umbridge's abysmal teaching last year had not helped this group. All the DA members were noticeably better than their counter-parts.

Theodore Nott was paired with a boy Harry didn't know. The boy obviously had little love for Nott since he didn't wait for his partner to get ready before waving his wand.

"Um-Nott is it? Try the motion in the middle of the incantation instead of the end-it will work and will be that much quicker."

Nott nodded and tried it that way. His shield was up before his partner could spit out the words of his hex.

Harry saw that Nott almost smiled at this small success. He looked at Harry and said, "I'm better at attack spells."

Harry shrugged, not knowing what to say. Nott probably was better at attacking, he just hoped that he wanted to defend against the Dark Arts, not use them.

He happened to glance over at Pansy Parkinson who was watching them with a look of pure venom on her face. She caught his eye, smirked, and then hurtled a strange hex at her partner. Harry knew it wasn't the Full-Body Bind, but the orange glow it cast on her partner's shield wasn't anything he could identify.

Feeling strangely disconcerted, he made his way back to Ron and Hermione, passing the Hufflepuffs along the way. He was glad to see that Ernie was no longer waving his wand with unnecessary flourishes, and that Hannah Abbot was calmly and confidently holding her own against Zacharias Smith--unlike Hermione.

Harry was surprised to see her flinch every time Ron threw a spell at her. Her Shield Charm deflected every hex in the best textbook manner, yet she was shaking by the end of her turn.

Ron smiled and nodded at her. "See, your shield was perfect. You won't get hurt again, Hermione."

She was gripping her wand so tightly, her knuckles were white. "No, I won't," she said in a determined voice.

Harry felt a stab of guilt. She was scared-because of him. He took a deep breath, trying to push those thoughts away. His guilt wouldn't change the past or give Hermione the courage to face another fight. Instead he called, "Good shield, Hermione."

She gave a pleased smile and seemed to relax a bit. Something twisted inside of him. Hermione never thought of herself as brave, but here she was--trying her best to ready herself for combat-even after such a terrible experience at the Department of Mysteries.

He looked around at all his classmates and realized anew how these skills could mean life or death. Before he could feel overwhelmed, he heard Professor's Lupin's sure, calm voice, calling the class back to order. If anyone could help them, it was his former teacher-and Harry was glad that the responsibility for teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts wasn't his anymore.

The class flew by. Professor Lupin managed to cover three more spells before the bell rang for dismissal. As the excited crowd left the Great Hall, Ron said to him quietly, "I saw you helped Nott."

"Yeah."

"Do you ever wonder why he's here and not Durmstrang?"

"Yeah-I hope it's the right reason," Harry answered with a chill.

"So do I-I'd hate to think you and Lupin helped train the next generation of Death Eaters."

"Well, I don't think his housemates are going to let him get away with anything," he said, wondering which side Pansy Parkinson was on.

"Yeah," Ron said, "I never thought I'd see the day when I was glad that Slytherins are out for themselves."

*

He caught sight of her red hair as he was leaving the Great Hall. "Catch up with you later," he said to Ron and Hermione. Hurrying down the corridor and turning left into a group of indignant third year girls, he managed to keep her in sight.

"Hey," he said when he finally caught up with her, "can I carry your books?"

Ginny looked up in surprise, and said, "Oh, a man servant--how convenient."

"But where have you been all afternoon?" she asked as she dumped a pile of spell books in his arms. "I've had to carry these around in my lily-white hands all the way from the library."

"Sorry, Miss Gold-digger-I mean . . ."

"You know, I'm starting to see the benefits of gold-digging." She giggled.

"Where are you going?"

"O.W.L. study group-that's why I have all these books."

"Wish I could go with you."

"Sure, Harry just take your O.W.L.s all over again."

"No-I didn't mean that." He felt a little foolish. "I just wanted to see you."

She stopped so that everyone else in the corridor had to veer around them. "I know-lunch goes by so fast." She looked up wistfully at him. Then she frowned. "It's too bad about Hogsmeade . . ."

"What?"

"Yes," she said vaguely, continuing to walk to her classroom, " some fellow asked me back in July to go with him. Wish I could remember who he was . . ."

"You should write these things down," he said, grinning in relief.

"I'll just check the name in the jumper."

"You do that," he said, handing her books back. She didn't answer him, but threw him a smile over her shoulder as she went through the door.

After standing outside the classroom for several minutes with a stupid grin on his face, Harry decided that no Stunning Spell yet devised was as effective as that smile.

Reviews 423
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear