Search:

SIYE Time:13:36 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Red Is The Heart
By St Margarets

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 423
Summary: "In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you." Harry begins to understand the truth of this statement as he learns valuable lessons in love, friendship, and choices during his sixth year. A fluffy H/G tale of adventure. A sequel to the "Wallpaper" trilogy. (Read that first.)


Hitcount: Story Total: 109712; Chapter Total: 6655







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A/N I want to thank everyone who has been reading this story and letting me know about it, either in reviews or e-mails (or both). I know that many of you reviewing, especially here at SIYE, are also writers. I hope to return the favor of reading and reviewing your work once my son is back in school. Jo Wickanninish, my beta, allows me to update so quickly because she has been working hard all summer keeping up with me. Thank you! And thanks to Nic 83 who told me about personal ads in Britain - even though she doesn't need to know such a thing!

Chapter 13: Sensitive

Ron somehow heard that Hermione was going to the Quidditch match with Terry Boot. He didn't speak of it with Harry, but it was all too obvious that he was unhappy. As they waited for the Friday Defense Against the Dark Arts class, he skirted around the subject

.

"Do you know why Hermione is suddenly so interested in Quidditch?" Ron asked.

Harry thought it might have something to do with Ron - but he didn't want to get his hopes up.

"At first I thought it was because of Viktor Krum," Ron said, "but now I don't know." He stared at Hermione who was standing and talking with a group of Ravenclaws on the other side of the Great Hall.

Harry shrugged and looked at his watch. It appeared the teacher was late today. The students were taking advantage of the free time, milling around and socializing.

Ernie MacMillan made his way to Ron and Harry and asked in a low voice, "I heard some elves Apparated in to Hogwarts with Draco Malfoy - is that true?"

"How did you know?" Harry asked.

"Our house-elf is related to several of the elves here," Ernie replied. "I don't know how they communicate with each other, but he knew Christmas night."

Ron and Harry exchanged glances. They weren't sure how much to tell Ernie.

"Um, what did your elf say? I mean, was your elf surprised?"

"Shocked, I'd say," Ernie frowned. "Seemed to think that there was some elf who had gone bad at Hogwarts, but he wouldn't say anything else. You know how strange they can be sometimes."

"Did he bang his head into a wall or iron his fingers or anything?" Harry asked.

Ernie smiled. "No, Sandy doesn't have a guilty conscience."

Neville strolled over. "Did you hear that Snape is offering extra-credit for anyone who can come up with a new dissolving agent?"

"Neville, we'd have to care about our marks to know that kind of news," Ron replied. "What's he want to dissolve - some of that grease in his hair?"

They all laughed - Neville the loudest. "I don't know, but this should save my marks in Potions." He held up a beaker of orange liquid. "This is the sap my plant produces when it hic-cups. Remember? It ate a hole right through the green house."

Ernie stared at it, fascinated. "Why didn't it eat a hole through that beaker?"

"I put an Imperturbable Charm on it," Neville said proudly. "I can do those this year!"

That charm reminded Harry of the clear resin Malfoy had poured on the corridor floor. That was probably the reason for Snape's interest in dissolving agents.

A shout of laughter drew their attention to the group of Ravenclaws. They were drawing lines in the air with their wands. Every now and then an equation would drift by with flashing numbers. "What are they doing?" Ron asked with a disgusted look.

"They're working out the trajectories of the Summoning Charm, the Vanishing Charm, and the Levitation Charm," Ernie replied, rolling his eyes. "The Ravenclaws dare to ask: Which is more efficient? Which is less dangerous to the user and those around them? They've been working on it since fourth year - although with Hermione's help, they may finally get their answer."

Sure enough, Hermione was with them, her face alight with concentration as she took her wand and rearranged the wispy numbers in one of the floating equations. Instantly, the lines quivered and then reformed, making a perfect triangle. There were more cheers from the group. Hermione laughed and blushed.

"Why wasn't she put in Ravenclaw?" Ernie mused. "She's smarter than all of them put together."

"Because there's more to Hermione than her intelligence," Ron snapped.

Ernie looked with alarm at Ron's scowl. "I know that - she's a very good Prefect as well."

"And she's very kind," Neville spoke up.

Ron pressed his lips together and took a deep breath. Harry could tell his control was stretched thin. "Come on, Ron," Harry said, "let's find out that thing from . . . you know . . ."

Ron frowned at Harry, but allowed himself to be steered to the opposite end of the Hall where the Slytherins were gathered. Theodore Nott was leaning against the wall, arms folded,his habitually bored expression in place.

"Potter, Weasley," he acknowledged them with a nod. "What brings you to our end of the Hall?"

"Just mingling, Nott," Ron said sarcastically. "Thought I'd run for Minister someday. Never know when I'll need the snake vote." Harry inwardly groaned; he didn't want a fight with Nott.

Far from being insulted, Theodore Nott was amused. "You have mine, Weasley. We need some er- plain speakers- in politics."

Ron ran his hand through his hair. "Sorry. Um - how's your knee?"

"Fine."

Ron nodded and then restlessly paced, finally turning to watch the Ravenclaws again.

Theodore Nott watched Ron pace and said to Harry, "Did you know Pansy Parkinson didn't come back?"

"Excellent," Harry answered. Ginny would never have to deal with her again. "Where is she?"

"Beauxbatons."

"Troll school all filled up?" Ron asked, on his return trip, still not taking his eyes away from the Ravenclaws.

That surprised a rusty laugh out of Nott. "You're a witty bloke, Weasley - no wonder Draco hates you."

Ron smirked and continued with his pacing.

"Did uh . . ." Harry wondered how much he should say. "Did Dumbledore talk to you?"

Nott gave Harry a long stare. "He did. Thanks to you, I know the head of my house is playing some dangerous games."

"So are you." Ron had stopped his pacing in front of Nott.

"That's why Snape is going to adopt me," Nott answered, straight-faced.

Ron laughed and shook his head. "You're a funny bloke, Nott - no wonder Malfoy hates you."

Nott smiled sardonically. "Yeah, and which one of us going to have the last laugh?"

"We're going to laugh together," Ron said firmly.

"At Malfoy," Harry added.

"May he freeze his skinny ferret arse off at Durmstrang," Nott vowed.

Ten minutes before the end of class, Professor McGonagall strode into the Great Hall with a set face. She magically amplified her voice and addressed them all. "You may have noticed that you lacked a teacher for this class." There were scattered titters from around the room. "Unfortunately all the Aurors were busy today because of several Dementor attacks here in Britain."

Horrified gasps and furious whispering began. McGonagall held up her hand for silence. "These attacks were minor, in that no one was injured or killed - in fact - several of the Dementors were conjured decoys. The Aurors are investigating all of these incidents and will be busy for the next few weeks. The Ministry is sending trained security wizards to work with you next Friday. That is all."

Theodore Nott crossed his arms and smiled slightly. "So that's the Dark Lord's tactic - he's using these attacks to ask questions - like how does the Ministry respond to Dementor attacks? How secure is Hogwarts? Do the students know how to defend themselves?"

Ron frowned. "What do you think his next question will be?"

Nott raised one eyebrow. "Well I don't think it will be who will win the Slytherin-Ravenclaw match."

*

Harr y went with Ginny to the Slytherin-Ravenclaw match. It was their first chance to spend more than the lunch hour together since the holidays. All the fifth years were looking tired and stressed, Ginny included. She needed a break and he needed to be with her, so his mood was as good as the weather when they finally found a seat together in the stands.

The only cloud was Ron. Although he had made a supreme effort not to show his jealousy around Hermione, Harry could tell he was seething on the inside. Hermione had been acting strangely as well. She was choosing her words carefully and watching Ron when he wasn't looking. Harry felt as if he was in the middle of an electrical storm, with the tension crackling all around him.

"Can I sit with you two?" Ron asked. Harry was surprised to see him. He thought maybe he would stay away from Hermione's date.

"Sure," Ginny said, "sit on the other side of me. Then I'll be extra warm." She snuggled close to Harry. "Are you ok?" she asked Ron. "You look a bit peaky."

"I'm ok," he answered shortly.

Harry didn't think he would be able to pay much attention to the match between Ron's brooding and Ginny's distracting wiggles.

Michael Corner's smooth voice announced the Ravenclaw team. When Cho Chang flew out, Ginny sat up straight and paid attention. "So what do you think?" she asked. "Which Seeker is going to win this one? They both have inexperienced Chasers, so it's going to come down to their Seekers."

"Well," Ron began, "Cho has been Seeker for what? Three years now? She has the experience."

Ginny looked at Harry. "What do you think?"

"Oh, I don't know." He was watching the match. "Campbell is a good flier. And he really seems to want it badly enough to take some risks. It's hard to say."

"What if I told you that I've heard from reliable sources that Campbell's fancied Cho the entire time he's been at Hogwarts. Would that make a difference?"

"How would you know that?" Ron asked. "And I thought she was going out with Corner."

"They're having difficulties from what I hear."

"For someone who doesn't like gossip, you certainly know a lot of it," Ron chided.

"I can't help it if I hear things," Ginny retorted. "So what do you think - if she turns on the old charm, will Campbell get distracted?"

"Depends on how big of a git he is," Ron said. "A pretty face shouldn't make you lose a Quidditch match."

Harry could feel Ginny watching him. He wasn't sure what Ginny was driving at, but he knew darn well it wasn't Quidditch strategies. "I don't think Campbell is going to lose his head over her." Then he smiled. " It's not the Slytherin thing to do. Just think what Phineas would say."

Ginny smiled then too and seemed to relax a little. Then she watched Cho fly for a while. "She is really pretty."

"Yeah," Harry said, not really thinking about Cho because he was watching the action around the Slytherin Keeper.

"You think so, do you?" Her voice was sharp. Harry realized instantly that he had said the wrong thing. He glanced at Ron who was also aware of Harry's gaffe.

Harry actually thought he could explain his point. "Ginny - of course I think she's pretty. Just because things didn't work out with her, doesn't mean she suddenly turned into a troll."

"Oh." She moved toward Ron. "I see."

He looked at Ron in appeal. Ron gave him the you're-on-your-own-mate look. Harry tried again. "Ginny there are loads of pretty girls in the world - just because I notice them doesn't mean I fancy them."

Ginny looked doubtful.

Ron sighed, and then he too jumped in. "Ginny you're not being fair to Harry. Why should he be any different than Fred or George or Seamus or Neville or any other red-blooded male? That's the way we are. Blokes notice if a girl is attractive or not - but it doesn't mean anything."

Harry was really glad that Ron didn't throw in the part about imagining them naked - no need for full disclosure.

"Ok," Ron continued. "Do you still think Michael Corner is cute?"

"No," Ginny said resolutely, " I don't. He was cute when I liked him - now he's not."

"So that's how these blokes with the ugly mugs get the girls," Ron marveled. "You cast the I-Like-Them Charm and they suddenly turn cute. Well there's hope for me then."

"Oh Ron, you're cute. There are loads of girls at Hogwarts who think so."

"Thanks for that vote of confidence from my sister. I'll ask Mum next."

Ginny giggled. "All her sons are handsome because they look like Dad."

"Right." Ron smiled. "So will you give Harry a break? He likes you and not her - ok?"

"Ok." She looked apologetically at Harry. He smiled back - he could understand how she felt - he was just surprised that she could be as insecure as he was . . .

She moved to Harry's side and sighed. Looking at her brother she said, "Ron? You need to ask her out."

"Who?"

"Hermione, you dolt." Ginny rubbed up against Harry and wearily put her head on his shoulder.

"We're just friends, Ginny."

"She's here with Terry as just friends."

"How do you know?"

"Hermione told me," Ginny said, closing her eyes. "They're going as just friends."

"Oh." Ron pretended to watch the match, hope dawning on his face. When the Slytherin team called a time-out he turned to Harry. "Did you know about Hermione?"

"What about Hermione?" he asked absently. Ginny's hair smelled so nice . . .

"That she was going with Terry Boot as just friends?"

"Oh!" He turned to Ron who was looking flustered. "Yeah, I knew."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ron demanded.

"Because you didn't ask - you haven't said one word about Hermione's date." He shook his head. "I'm not going to be some message board for the two of you. You have problems - you talk to her."

"Thanks a lot Harry," Ron said, standing up.

"Weasley! Sit down!" The spectators from behind were not happy with over six feet of Ron blocking their view.

He glanced at them indifferently and said to Harry, "Glad I can count on you as my best mate when I really need some help." Then he stalked off, his ears as red as his Gryffindor scarf.

Harry's heart sank. Two Weasleys miffed at him in one day. That must be a record. Ginny hadn't moved during the entire exchange; her head was still on his shoulder. Then she patted him on the chest. "You were right."

"About what?"

"Not being a go-between for Ron and Hermione - they have to work it out themselves."

He sighed in relief - at least Ginny understood.

"Ron finally knows his own mind," Ginny continued. "But he doesn't know what to do about it - so he's getting snappish."

He put his arms around her. Nobody noticed them because something was happening at the other end of the Pitch and everyone was standing and staring.

"You Weasleys . . . "

She moved even closer, tucking her head under his chin.

"Penalty to Slytherin!"

She was curled cozily against him, so relaxed she didn't bother to see what was happening on the Pitch.

"Ginny?"

She was fast asleep. Harry realized he would have to listen to the rest of the match, since the crowd was on its feet most of the time. Not that he minded, really - at least they were together.

He frowned at the thought of Ginny's unexpected jealousy of Cho. Ginny should know that he never felt about Cho the way he felt about her. But how would she know that? he thought. Since he was rubbish at compliments, all she knew was that he thought her better looking than Pansy Parkinson and the giant squid. He inwardly cringed; he would have to do better.

Since he couldn't see the Pitch, he could at least watch the spectators. Sitting in the neutral section with the Gryffindors and the Hufflepuffs, were Theodore Nott and Luna Lovegood. Nott had his green Slytherin scarf tied around his neck and Luna had her blue Ravenclaw scarf tied on top of her head in an elaborate tuft. They were sitting next to each other, but Harry couldn't be sure if it was by accident or design.

The breeze blew an errant lock of Luna's hair on to Theodore Nott's shoulder. Nott stared at the soft blond tendril a minute before returning his attention to the Pitch. It stayed there for the rest of the match.

When the match was over Ginny was still asleep.

"Harry, you win the prize for being the most pathetic date," Seamus said as he filed past them. Dean was with him, smirking as well.

"Shhh . . She's really tired."

"Really, I thought she was just bored," Dean said.

"If you two wake her up, I'll hex you in your sleep," Harry warned. "When you wake up you'll be able to part your hair when you sneeze."

Seamus held up his hands. "We're leaving - for a big teddy bear you're sure touchy."

Harry's eyes narrowed.

"I never thought of you as a cuddler, Harry." Dean giggled and hustled Seamus away.

Harry was left thinking that no one made fun of Roger Davies for snogging all over the place. Really, life wasn't fair.

Ten minutes later she stirred and opened her eyes. "How long have I been asleep?" she asked, looking at the empty stands

.

"Not that long. Campbell caught the Snitch shortly after you dozed off. It was just as well, since neither of their Chasers could score any points. Gryffindor is still in the lead for the cup."

"Is Ron still angry?" she asked, sitting up straight.

"I haven't seen him. He could be rowing with Hermione for all I know."

Ginny shook her head at that possibility.

"Ginny, you're not still thinking about Cho are you? I mean, it's not going to come up again is it?"

Ginny brushed her hair back from her eyes. "Oh, Harry. Ron was right. I wasn't being fair to you. It's not like you're leering at every girl that passes by. I know that." She took his hand. "And it's not that you think she's pretty exactly - it's that everybody thinks she's pretty. It's just her - she's so perfect - and - I'm so - not perfect.

"

"I know that feeling. I've felt like that about certain people - like I'd never measure up."

"Who?"

"Cedric Diggory." It was still hard to say that name. "Just think how much worse you'd feel if you were jealous of someone and then they were killed right in front of you."

She squeezed his hand and murmured, "I didn't know."

"The worst part is, I almost gave into the jealousy and took the cup for myself. But then I changed my mind and offered to be in a tie with him." Harry could still feel those conflicting emotions. He stared at her. "If I had given into the jealousy - Cedric would still be alive today - and Cho wouldn't be looking for him in every boy she dates."

"Is that why she's so flirty?" Ginny eyes softened.

Until he said it, Harry had never realized that about Cho. "I really don't know her very well - but - yeah, I think so."

"That's so sad," she said softly.

"You should feel sorry for her, not feel jealous."

"I do feel bad for her now - and Michael. He's a nice person too."

"Relationships don't always work out for people," he said, feeling a lurch of fear, not wanting to contemplate such a thing happening to them.

"I know," she whispered, putting her arms around his neck.

"What are we going to do about Ron and Hermione?"

"Nothing," Ginny said firmly. "Just be there to listen." She shook her finger. "All of you blokes think you have to solve everything - don't try. Just listen."

"That sounds . . ." he began doubtfully.

"Sensitive? Feminine?"

"Yeah, that's it. I don't want any part of that."

She giggled. "That's a shame because you're such a good cuddler."

*

Harry was able to show his sensitive side later on that evening when Hermione cornered him in the common room. Ron was off sulking somewhere and Ginny was celebrating Jeanne's birthday with Rose and Diane. Harry had been invited, but he thought it best for Ginny to have some time alone with her friends.

He decided to spend his free time polishing his Firebolt. Whenever he did this, his thoughts turned to Sirius. At first they had been painful thoughts, but now, instead of dwelling on the past, he found himself telling Sirius what was going on in his life. It was like writing a mental letter that he didn't expect an answer to.

He was in the middle of telling Sirius about Ron's outburst when Hermione sat next to him on the settee. She watched him silently for a moment. "Is that the broomstick servicing kit I got you?"

"Yeah, it is. I've had a lot of use for it."

"That's good," she said absently. She sighed.

Harry kept polishing. He knew she couldn't stay quiet for long.

"Ron around?"

"I haven't seen him since the match."

"He wasn't at supper," she observed in a neutral voice.

"Wasn't he? I ate with Ginny." Then he thought of something. "Who did you eat with?"

"Terry and some other Ravenclaws."

"Oh." He knew she was expecting it, so he finally asked, "Had a good time on your date?" He was inspecting the bristles now.

"Yes. No."

He stole a look at her. She looked so miserable and forlorn. Sighing, he realized that he was going to have to listen and be . . . sensitive. He wondered if it was possible to listen ruggedly.

"Can you be more specific?"

Hermione was rearranging the tubes and clippers and brushes in his servicing kit. "I don't know . . . The match was so short, that I couldn't just leave right after - like I wanted to. So we went for a walk around the lake. Then we were debating a point about Arithimancy, so we went to the library." She looked sharply at him.

He was able to keep a straight face because he pushed aside all thoughts of what Ron would say to such a confession. "And?" he asked hastily.

"And we found the answer."

"Who was right?"

She grinned. "I was." Then the light went out of her eyes. "By then it was time for supper. I couldn't find an excuse not to go - so I went."

Harry held the broom out so it floated at waist level. It seemed to be listing to the left . . . "Doesn't sound so bad," he said heartily, hoping he had heard the worst.

He hadn't.

"It wasn't - until he walked me back here."

"Oh?" He stole another look. She was blushing now.

"He wanted to kiss me," she blurted out.

This Harry really didn't want to hear. "Oh."

"But I didn't - kiss him," Hermione said quickly.

He knew he shouldn't ask, but he did anyway. "How did you know he wanted to kiss you?"

She blushed even harder and looked down. "He kept looking at my mouth. And saying how pretty he thought I was and smart and . . . things like that."

Harry didn't know whom he was more embarrassed for: Terry for being so transparent, or for himself, since he had probably been just as obvious when he walked Ginny back to Mrs. Figg's house last summer.

"Um - you don't have to answer this, but why didn't you kiss him?"

"I don't know!" Hermione practically wailed. "On parchment we look like the ideal couple. I mean, Terry is really intelligent and is interested in all the things I like. He even knows a lot about house-elves. We spent hours together and didn't have one argument - and he didn't mind one bit when I was right about Arthimancy." She stared at the Firebolt hovering in mid-air. "I really tried to like him, like that . . ." She shuddered. "But when it came to actually kissing him . . . I just couldn't do it."

Harry could only think, Poor Terry - and poor Hermione. "Well that's all right. You said yourself that one date doesn't make a relationship."

"But now I have to see him all the time!" Hermione said, anguish in her voice. "I knew I shouldn't have gone. That's the problem with dating someone in this school - if it doesn't work out. That's why I never-" She checked herself and looked wide-eyed at him.

Harry clipped a few bristles on the right side of the broom. He had a pretty good idea that Hermione was going to say something about Ron, and he didn't want to scare her off.

"Anyway." Hermione fiddled with the latch on the box. "Thanks for listening."

He couldn't believe she was going to leave it like this. "Hermione, what are you going to do?"

She smiled and stood up. "Nothing. I won't go out with him again - but I'll be friends. It will be awkward at first, but . . ." She looked at his broom. "It's still favoring the left side."

It was. Harry went back to clipping bristles, wondering how on earth Hermione could have gotten any comfort or help out of their conversation. Ginny would be proud of me, he thought, sensitive male that I am. Then he added with a shake of his head, Sensitive male who doesn't have a clue.

*

Ron was reading a Quidditch magazine alone in the dormitory when Harry went up for bed. He hoped they were still speaking.

"What did you think of the match today?" he asked in a carefully casual voice.

Ron lowered the magazine and said stiffly, "I didn't see the end - I went to see Norbert. Although I heard Campbell made a great catch."

"I didn't see it either - Ginny was sleeping on me."

Ron seemed to thaw at this. "Yeah, she can fall asleep in the middle of anything when she's tired. Always was like that."

"Look, I didn't tell you about Hermione because -"

Ron held up his hand. "It's all right. You don't have to say anything else. I talked it over with Norbert." He smiled ruefully. "I think I know what I'm going to do."

"Good." Harry relaxed, knowing he didn't have to ask Ron what his plans were. He was done being sensitive for the day. "Is that a new issue of Quidditch Illustrated?

"Yeah, Charlie subscribes."

They were discussing the new Keeper for England when Seamus and Dean came in.

Seamus sat on the edge of Harry's bed and said solemnly, "Harry, I'm having problems and I need advice."

"Get off my bed."

"But-"

"Harry, Seamus needs a hug," Dean chided.

"Seamus is going to need Madam Pomfrey and a team of Healers if he doesn't get off of my bed."

"I thought you were one of those sensitive males you read about in the personal ads," Seamus whined. He picked up the Quidditch magazine and flipped to the back. "You know: Single, white male, loves long walks in the rain, sunsets, warm hugs and lively conversation. If interested in this cuddly Leo, send reply to Box 12 Sweetums Street."

Harry didn't spare him a glance when he flicked his wand.

"Seamus, I like your hair parted in the middle." Dean gasped out once he stopped laughing so hard.

"Harry, change my nose back!" Seamus shouted nasally.

"Sorry, I have to take a long walk in the rain." He got up to leave.

"Ron, you're a Prefect - help me out here!" Every time Seamus spoke his hair lifted a bit.

"That fifth year Prefect could help you," Ron pointed out. "She wouldn't laugh too much."

"Ron!"

Harry sighed and changed the nose back. "You're lucky I have a sense of humor, Seamus. Best put that in the ad."

"How about this one for Seamus," Dean said. "Single, white male, desperate for attention, loves when a girl doesn't go to the other side of the corridor to avoid him. If interested in charity work, send reply to Box 69 Loser Lane."

Seamus lobbed a pillow at Dean. Harry caught Seamus from behind with Ron's pillow.

When Neville arrived five minutes later, he observed them for a few moments, and then asked, "Are we having a lot more pillow fights this year? Or is it just me?"

Reviews 423
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear