Search:

SIYE Time:20:41 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


When Lions Do Part
By Silvergirl

- Text Size +

Category: End-of-Term Challenge (2004-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 16
Summary: Our two favourite Gryffindor boys finally get up the courage to tell our two favourite Gryffindor girls how they feel ;o)
Hitcount: Story Total: 4025







ChapterPrinter


A/N: I know the Gryffindor Lion part is kind of unrealistic, but I thought it would fit the title.
Please, tell me how you liked it!

When Lions Do Part


“She likes me, she doesn’t like me, she likes me, she doesn’t li — ”

“Ron, what are you doing?” Harry asked bewildered as he entered the dormitory on the last afternoon of term.

His best friend was sitting on his four-poster ripping a piece parchment into little snippets. Ron looked up, his ears turned red at the fact he’d been caught in such a situation. Hastily he tried to remove the snippets and the half-torn parchment, but it was too late. Harry had already snatched it from his hands and quickly scanned it with his eyes. It was a letter, and he was pretty sure who should be the receiver.

“You still haven’t told her?” He asked sympathetically and sat down next to Ron.

Ron just shook his head and snatched the letter back. He didn’t meet Harry’s gaze and started to rip the parchment into little snippets again.

“She likes me, she doesn’t like me, she likes me — ”

“RON! Stop it!” Harry exclaimed, snatched the parchment and tore it apart.

“What?!” Ron asked confused.

Harry sighed frustrated and threw the snippets at Ron.

“Ron, will you ever get a clue?” he asked. “Hermione likes you. She’s liked you since — well, for a very long time.”

Ron looked up at his friend, still confused.

“Do you remember the Yule Ball in our fourth year? Why do you think she got that angry with you? She wanted to go there with you but you where just to dumb to see it. You even shouted at her for going with Krum.”

Ron’s face lit up. Harry’s words seemed to sink in slowly. All of a sudden, he jumped off his bed and ran for the door.

“Where’re you going?” Harry shouted after him.

***

Ron dashed down the stairs into the Common Room. Harry followed hot on his trail. It was like he wanted to make up for all the years he lost telling Hermione how he really felt about her in five seconds.

Hermione was the only one in the room. She was sitting in her usual spot, a fluffy armchair near the fireplace. He crossed the room with only two or three steps. When he reached her, he was out of breath. Hermione looked up at him.

“Ron, what’s going on? Are you not feeling well? Did anything happen to Harry?” she asked worried.

The last question was unnecessary now, because Harry had already defeated Voldemort. It was just out of habit.

Ron stood there, panting and shaking his head ‘no’ to answer her questions. When he somewhat had caught his breath, he told himself ‘Now or never’ and sat down across from her.

“Hermione, I need to talk to you.” Ron said seriously.

“Ron, what’s wrong. Are you sure everything is okay?” she looked really worried at his sudden seriousness.

“Everything is just fine.” He assured her. ‘Ron, will you ever get a clue?’ Harry’s words resounded in his mind.

“I just wanted to tell you, I finally got the clue.” He said looking her directly in the eye.

Hermione looked back at him completely confused. She had no idea what he was talking about.

“Honestly, Ron. Would you please just tell me what you’re talking about?" She said sounding irritated.

Harry, who had stopped at entry of the Common Room, hoped that Ron kept his spirits and told her. He heard him take a deep breath.

“Hermione, I…” Come on, Ron! “I… really…” Don’t be a coward! “IlikeyouHermione.” He spat out.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He was glad that Ron had finally got the guts and told her. It had become ridiculous how the two of them acted around each other.

“Can you repeat that last part, I didn’t quite get it?” Hermione asked, though Ron (and Harry, though the two of them didn’t know) was sure she was teasing him.

“I like you, Hermione.” Ron said more slowly.

“I can’t believe what I’m hearing.” She said perplexed.

They just stared at each other for a few moments. Ron waiting for her to say something, and Hermione thinking about the right words to respond to that.

“Say something, Hermione.” Ron begged.

“What can I say?” she answered slowly. “Ron,… I like you, too.”

Great Merlin, Harry was right! She likes me, she likes me!

When Ron was sure that hadn’t been a dream, he stood up and pulled her in a bear hug. She hugged him back and Harry thought he could see tears of joy glisten in her eyes.

“’Finally, you two figured it out.” He said from his spot at the boys’ staircase.

The two sprung apart, startled at the presence of their best friends. Ron’s ears and Hermione’s cheeks turned red and caused Harry to chuckle.

He walked out of the portrait hole leaving them alone. Ron looked down at Hermione and smiled. Then slowly he bent down and kissed her softly. Soon the kiss deepened and time was completely forgotten.

***

Harry was alone in the 7th-years dormitory he shared with Ron and his fellow Gryffindors Neville Longbottom, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan. He was finishing some last minute packing before the Leaving Feast started. He had to hurry because in about 15 minutes he and Ron would be meeting with his other two best friends Hermione and Ginny.

At the thought of Ginny, a small smile stretched across his face. Just her name caused butterflies in his stomach. Lately, he had come to realise what she really meant to him. She wasn’t ‘just Ginny, Ron’s sister’ anymore, she was a beautiful girl — young woman — and he really liked her. He had always liked her as a friend, but it had only been a few months ago that he had felt like a switch had been flicked and he had realised that his feelings went beyond friendship.

He had been watching her and noticed many little things about her that made her even more beautiful in his eyes. The way she tucked her hair behind her ears when she was writing an essay. The way she always bit her bottom lip when she was lost in thoughts. The way her eyes reflected the fire at night. The way her hair glistered in the sunlight. The way she just was being Ginny made her beautiful.

Ever since that moment, he struggled with his feelings. He knew that Ginny used to have a crush on him when she was younger but she got over him in her fourth year. She had boyfriends and didn’t see him as any more than a friend. It was funny how things could change. As the end of his very last term at Hogwarts approached, the voice inside him that told him: “Tell her how you feel, you daft prat!” grew even louder and today — at the evening of the Leaving Feast — he had decided that he would tell her how he felt about her.

He reasoned if Ron had mustered his guts to tell Hermione how he felt after all this years, he would be able to do the same with Ginny. Harry chuckled as he remembered the scene earlier that day.

When he had returned from Hagrid’s, neither Ron nor Hermione were in the Common Room. Harry had smiled to himself and decided to take advantage of Ron’s absence and do some packing. With his best mate around, he wouldn’t be able to do so.

At that moment, the door flung open and Ron rushed in. His hair was tousled and his cheeks red. Harry grinned at the sight of his best friends state, but seeing the terrified look on his face, he refused the urge to tease him about it.

“What’s wrong?” he asked instead.

“Time. It disappeared. That’s wrong! I completely forgot to do packing. Help me!” he sounded panicked.

“Calm down. I’ll help you!” Harry answered and began to throw Ron’s books into the trunk.

Ron bustled through the dormitory collecting all his items and throwing them on top of his books.

“Ron! We’re going to be late!” they heard Hermione’s voice call up the stairs.

They both looked at their watches.

“We have still ten minutes left.” Harry said.

“Will I ever have a normal girlfriend?” Ron sighed.

Harry smiled. Looks like the bickering will never end…

***

The two boys entered the Common Room a few moments later. Hermione walked over to Ron and kissed him on the cheek. Then she grabbed him by the hand and walked towards the portrait hole.

Harry looked over at Ginny and smiled. She returned his gesture and started to follow the others. She always looked so beautiful when she smiled. But tonight she was even more beautiful. Harry thought that it might have to do with the fact that he had decided to tell her how he felt or that it was their last Leaving Feast together.

“It feels strange, you know.” He said after a long silence.

“Yeah, I know. I can’t believe that you won’t be around for the next Feast.”

“Me too. I’m going to miss it.” He said. “And I’m going to miss you.” He added in a whisper.

“What?” she stopped walking and turned to face him.

“I’m going to miss you, Ginny.” He repeated, looking her straight in the eye.

Harry felt a wave of déjà-vu as he remembered his two best friends in the Common Room earlier that day.

“For the past six years — well, let’s say for the past three years — you’ve been around as one of my best friends. And tomorrow I’ll leave this school forever and you’ll be coming back. It’s hard to imagine you’re not going to be around at Auror training.” Harry said.

He stepped forward and took her hand. He led her to an alcove in front of a window and sat down on the windowsill. She did the same and looked at him expectantly, biting her bottom lip.

“Harry, even if I’m not around, I’m still your friend.” Ginny said softly.

That’s the problem! You’re my friend! I want you to be so much more than that! No, he couldn’t say that. He needed to find the proper words.

“I know that. But that wasn’t what I was going to say.” He thought about every word he was going to say and took a deep breath.

“Ginny, I like you. I like the way you tuck your hair behind your ears when you’re writing. I like the way you always bite your bottom lip, like you did just a moment ago. I like the way your eyes reflect the fire at night and the way your hair glisters in the sunlight. And I like the way all these things make me feel when I’m around you.” Harry rambled all that and could have gone on forever.

But the look on her face suddenly changed. Her just thoughtful expression changed into a happy one. Her eyes lit up and a big smile spread across her face. Not being able to respond any other way, she reached out and kissed him softly but passionately.

Harry felt as if he was flying around on his Firebolt. He couldn’t believe his luck. Her lips felt so soft and told him all he needed to know. All the time she had felt the same way about him. He felt his arms creep around her waist, pulling her close and deepening the kiss. Her hand played with the hair on his neck as she stood on tiptoes to come face to face with him.

“’Finally, you two figured it out.” Ron’s voice came from behind.

Harry and Ginny stopped kissing but their lips still touched. Slowly Ginny pulled away.

“Don’t tell me, that it is my brother.” She whispered, still standing in Harry’s embrace.

“It is your brother.” He whispered back.

Their cheeks were flushed from the kiss but they turned even redder as they loosened their grip and turned around to face him and Hermione.

“Hey, Ron, Hermione.” Harry said, trying to sound casually.

“Hey, dipstick!” Ginny said grinning lopsided.

Ron chuckled at the sight of his best friend and his sister.

“Now, that’s settled we finally might go to the Feast.” Hermione said smiling and pulled Ron with her.

Harry and Ginny looked at each other and chuckled. He took her hand and they walked to the Great Hall.

***

The Great Hall was decorated in the Gryffindor colours red and gold and flags with the Gryffindor Lion hung over the tables.

As the two couples entered the Hall, it was already filled with students. When everyone had seated themselves, Albus Dumbledore rose from his chair. Immediately the student body fell silent.

“Another year at Hogwarts is over. This year was a rather special one, for the Dark Lord Voldemort was defeated by no other than Harry Potter and his Gryffindor friends, Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger and Ginny Weasley. Therefore, I will award them the scarce honour of calling themselves a Gryffindor Lion.”

There were loud cheers from all tables — except the Slytherin table — but without a doubt, the loudest came from Gryffindor.

The four friends were stunned and flattered about this award. They looked at each other not quite believing what the Headmaster had just said.

“Now that the formalities are over, I wish everyone an enjoyable summer. May the Feast begin.”

With a snip of his fingers, the most delicious food appeared on the tables. Everyone tucked in as if they hadn’t eaten in years. Harry enjoyed this Leaving Feast to the full. He wanted to savour the memory of this evening with Ginny. It would be too soon that they had to part at King’s Cross tomorrow. Even if it was only for a few days.

***

“See you, Hagrid!” The trio called out of their compartment window as the Hogwarts Express gained speed and rolled away towards London.

Hagrid waved and watched as the train rolled out of Hogsmeade Station and waited until he couldn’t see his friends anymore.

The train sped south and when Harry, Ron and Hermione couldn’t see Hagrid anymore they closed the window and sat down in their compartment.

“I’m going to miss him.” Hermione said whiny-voiced.

“Hey, Mione. Don’t be sad, we’re going to visit him.” Ron said softly and kissed her forehead.

Hermione nodded and leaned her head against his shoulder. Ron stroked her hand softly.

Ginny snuggled close to Harry, who put his arm around her. She wrapped her arms around his waist as he started to play with her hair.

“Merlin, that’s strange!” Harry said after a while of complete silence.

“What do you mean?” Ginny asked from her position.

“I mean this.” He said pointing at Ron and Hermione and then at himself and Ginny. “Ron, how dense could we be not to notice them for so long?” He asked his best friend.

“I don’t know, mate. But what matters is that we finally realised it.” Ron said smiling.

The compartment fell silent again, both couples enjoying their last hours together. The three graduates probably thinking about their future after Hogwarts.

The journey remained uneventful, not even Draco Malfoy favoured them with a visit, for what all of them were grateful.

However, they arrived at London too soon for everyone’s liking. King’s Cross came into view and the Hogwarts Express slowed down. The four of them gathered their things and took one last look at their compartment. Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand before she left the three of them on their own for a moment.

“It’s been a long time. And even though we had many dangerous battles to fight, I can say it was the best time of my life.” Harry said reflectively.

He looked at his two best friends. They just nodded. Then the three of them stepped out onto platform nine and three quarters.


They were all welcomed by Mrs Weasley who hugged them tight. Hermione’s parents awaited her daughter on the muggle side of the platform.

“See you soon, Harry.” she said and hugged her best friend.

“Take care, Hermione.” Harry said hugging her back.

“Ron.” She stepped in front of her boyfriend. “I’m glad you got a clue now.” She smiled at him and kissed him deeply. Then she walked through the barrier.

“I’ll see you soon, mate.” Ron said and gave Harry a manly hug.

“Sure, mate.”

Then Ron walked over to his mother to give his best friend and his sister a little privacy for their farewell.

Ginny looked at Harry with her big chocolate brown eyes. He saw tears forming in them and softly kissed the tip of her nose.

“Don’t cry, sweetie. I’ll see you soon. Remember. I only need to get all my stuff and stay with my aunt for about a week.” Harry said, his voice only a whisper.

Ginny nodded and a single tear slipped down her face. Harry whipped it away with his thumb. He cupped her face in his hands and gave her a long soft kiss. Slowly they pulled apart but their foreheads remained touched.

“I once saw a show on TV about lions. They stay in their group a whole life and never part. They would die due to loneliness. We are lions, and deep down I know we will never part.” Harry said, now on the verge of tears himself.

He had known it would be hard but hadn’t thought that it would be that hard. Ginny kissed him once again.

They looked at each other before she, too, stepped over to her mother. Harry watched the three of them walk to the barrier.

He sighed deeply. Now he was on his own. He would be an Auror. He would be able to live a life on his own. Harry turned around and looked at the Hogwarts Express for the last time. Then he took his trunk and Hedwig’s cage and stepped back into the Muggle world. No, Lions never part…

***The End***



A/N: I hope you liked it. Well, if you're reading this line you probably did ;o) so please please also read and review my other stories!!
Reviews 16
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear