Search:

SIYE Time:11:36 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Sweetie
By Gryphon

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 9
Summary: Fluff and Laughs. There's a conspiracy in the air. Updated 6/1/05 (2063 words)
Hitcount: Story Total: 4332







ChapterPrinter


Sweetie

Winter was passing and spring was in the air. As the weeks rolled by, Harry was more and more certain that his fellow Gryffindors must have noticed his frequent preoccupation. Despite their obvious efforts to cease discussions whenever he came into a room, he’d caught the drift of their conversations on several occasions. Thankfully, nobody appeared to know what was really bothering him. Their standard theories all included the usual late spring crisis of some sort involving Voldemort. Fortunately, the turnaround in Ministry policy and preparations to fight Voldemort after the past spring had resulted in far fewer losses to Death Eater attacks than had occurred after his first rise to power. In fact, Death Eater activity had been very low after several stunning defeats by a well trained and forewarned Auror force. Even so, his classmates continued to think it reasonable this could be bothering him. They had discounted school and Quidditch as those activities were going well and as such could be eliminated. Likewise, they had eliminated anything between Ginny and him since they had finally got over their embarrassing awkwardness around one another. Several attempts by Ron and Hermione at talking to him had failed as he certainly wasn’t prepared to discuss this with them, yet. That Ginny seemed only mildly amused about the whole situation was not very comforting given Ron’s probable reaction to the subject of his worries.

Late one evening, Harry was once again sitting alone in a corner of the common room thinking of ways to get out of his current predicament. Harry noticed that other Gryffindors were gradually returning from the library, or wherever they had been, and going up to bed. It seemed like there was always something unsettling in his life. He couldn’t help but wonder why his life was always so complicated. Fortunately, he thought, no one seemed to be paying any attention to him tonight as he sat alone brooding over his problem.

He and Ginny had indeed finally got past their mutual fear of one another. It had been an embarrassing accident, actually, but a very fruitful one. In fact, it was one of the happiest things that had ever happened to him even if it was the cause of his current predicament. He still got goose bumps when he thought about that night and his conversation with Ginny by the fire.

& #61611;

That night, seemingly long ago, he had been looking out of the window in the common room after everyone else had gone to bed. He had been brooding over what to about his feelings for Ginny. Now that he had finally accepted he had feelings for her, he hadn’t been able to decide what to do about it. He’d known she had had a crush on him for a long time, but as time had passed, he had been afraid she’d really got over him. The bottom line was he’d been terrified she didn’t care for him that way. She was no longer the shy, bashful girl she used to be before his fifth year. It had been halfway through his sixth year before they had become good friends, but at the time, he hadn’t known how far that went. He’d known he wanted more, but he hadn’t been able to figure out how to approach the subject with her. To be truthful, facing down a dragon would have been far easier than persuading himself to discuss his feelings for Ginny with her. Sure, she was much more open and straight forward now, but this had been no ordinary subject to be discussed lightly. At the time, he’d been pretty sure Ron wouldn’t approve of his feelings, even though there had been occasional hints otherwise. That had ruled out asking for Ron’s or Hermione’s advice or help. Just thinking about Ginny back then had made his heart ache. The conversation that had followed was still clear as a bell in his memory, especially her point of view that she’d told him about later.

 

“Damn!” He hit the window sill with his fist. “How do I find out if she cares for me? How do I tell her how much I care for her?”

“Why don’t you ask her?” Ginny said.

Harry jumped as if he’d been stung. “Ginny! I didn’t know you were still up”.

That’s really astute, Ginny mused to herself. “I couldn’t sleep and thought I’d come down and sit by the fire for a while. I didn’t mean to surprise you,” Ginny said, a shy smile on her face. “Really, Harry, why don’t you just ask her?” Harry looks mortified. He obviously didn’t intend to discuss this dilemma with me. So, Harry is interested in a girl. I don’t know why he should be so upset, though. I wonder whom, unless he’s talking about…

Harry was totally unprepared for this. Sure, he had dreamed of having this conversation, but now that it was here…“Do you?” he choked out, looking as though he were fighting for breath.

Her mind raced: Is Harry talking about me, or some other girl? She felt her whole insides turn to mush. Can this be what it seems? Is Harry saying I’m the one he was talking to himself about? This just can’t be true. Oh please, God. While not totally unexpected, she had a hard time finally accepting that “it” might be happening after all these years. Then, in that corner of her mind that was all Weasley, I’m not going to let him get off the hook that easily.

“Do I what?” she asked cocking her head to one side with an impish smile. Harry looks ready to collapse. I can’t believe he’s this totally flummoxed. Putting Harry on the spot, after virtually ignoring me all that time, is kind of fun though.

“Do you care about me?” he finally managed.

Thoroughly enjoying the moment, Ginny said, “Do you mean as a friend…or as something more?” Ah, this must finally be it, he’s really looking frantic now.

“As more,” he stammered.

Ginny looked at him for a long moment. She thought: It’s finally happened! He CARES! With a smile slowly blossoming on her face, she replied “Of course I care for you Harry. I always have.” Ginny then reached out and taking his hand in hers said, “Let’s go sit by the fire and talk. Now that you’ve found the answer to your first question,” and continuing on with a mischievous grin, “maybe we can get to the bottom of the second one.”

& #61611;

That, and the smile that had followed, had almost finished him off. He had been, and still was, on cloud nine — and three quarters.

The past few months following their fireside chat had been like the best dream he could ever have imagined. They hadn’t made a big deal about their new-found relationship and not many people seemed to notice any change. All this was wonderful, but it didn’t help with the present situation - more like impending disaster.

He knew Ron would probably never notice, but Hermione was a different matter. Not much got past her and she had already given them a few knowing smirks. Now that he was sure that she had noticed, she’d eventually say something to Ron. Regardless, it was just a matter of time before someone said something to Ron, and then, even he’d figure it out. Harry guessed he shouldn’t be too critical of Ron, considering how long it had taken him to accept his own feelings for Ginny, but that still wasn’t solving his current dilemma.

Over the past year, Ron had made the odd hint to Harry or Ginny that they should go out together. Harry had always assumed that was more to keep other boys away from her than for them to actually get together. Ron was still very protective of Ginny. He knew Ron hadn’t been happy at all about Ginny accompanying them to the Department of Mysteries last year and the resulting fight with Voldemort and his minions. Ron probably wouldn’t like to see her exposed to the additional dangers that seemed to follow him and those around him. How was he going to tell Ron about their relationship without totally upsetting him?

“What’s up, mate?” asked Ron cheerfully.

Harry looked up to see Ron drop into the chair across from him.

“Erm,” muttered Harry, “just thinking.”

Ron looked at Harry a moment before saying, “You’ve been doing a lot of that lately. Hermione and I are kind of worried. Do you want to talk about it?”

Harry almost choked. “I don’t think you’re the one to help me with this one, Ron.” What an understatement that is. I could tell him now, let him kill me, and be done with it.

“Well, have you tried Hermione? She always has good advice for everything,” Ron said. “If she doesn’t know, she’ll go to the library and find an answer.”

They both chuckled, after making sure Hermione didn’t overhear that little statement.

“Believe me,” said Harry with emotion, “Hermione won’t be able to help me with this one either.”

A revelation seemed to dawn on Ron’s face as he broke into a broad grin. “Harry, is this a girl problem?”

Harry was dumb struck, and it must have shown.

“That’s it, isn’t it?” said Ron gleefully.

Before realizing it, Harry nodded dumbly.

“It’s not Cho again, is it?” asked Ron.

“NO!”

“Well, who?”

“That’s the problem,” said Harry, “I’m not sure you … well…everyone will think she’s right for me.”

“What wouldn’t be right?” asked Ron looking a little perplexed. “Is something wrong with her?”

“It’s…um...well….she’s…not…” Harry groped for words and failed.

“Harry. I’m your mate. That’s what mates are for,” Ron said sincerely. “Is she reasonably pretty?”

“Uhmmm…well,” mumbled Harry, “yeah.”

“And she has reasonable….uh…. assets?” asked Ron clearly enjoying this conversation at his friend’s expense. “You know…nice toosh…and all?” he continued with some appropriate gestures.

“RON!” said Harry indignantly while turning a little pink. “It’s not like that.”

“Hey mate, you have to keep some priorities here. I’m just trying to help,” said Ron.

Neither had noticed Ginny enter the room and walk up to them. “Maybe I can help.” With an impish grin, Ginny walked around in front of them. “Reasonably pretty,” she fluffed her hair, “nice toosh,” she looked around, and patted her bottom, “and, uh, other assets,” while looking down in front. “What’s the problem?”

Both Ron’s and Harry’s jaws were on their chests.

Harry could sense the impending disaster.

Ginny came around, sat down next to Harry, and grinned. She looked at Ron for a moment, then at Harry. “Have you told him yet...No? Well, I’m off to bed.”

Ruffling Harry’s hair with one hand, she leaned over and turned his face to her with her other hand on his cheek and gave him a short, but tender kiss…on the lips. “Good night, Sweetie! Good night, Ron,” and bounced across the room and up the stairs, giggling all the way.

“SWEETIE?...Harry?...GINNY?” exclaimed a clearly shocked Ron, turning slowly back to fix Harry with a long piercing stare. “Would you mind explaining to me just what happened here…with my…little …sister?”

“Erm...well…you see…that was my problem. I didn’t know how to tell you, but…Ginny and I aren’t…exactly…just…friends any more. I guess Ginny just told you for me,” Harry said lamely. As he brought his eyes up until they met Ron’s still piercing stare, he prepared himself for the worst.

“You…and…Ginny?” exclaimed an incredulous Ron. “How?...When? I can’t believe this: my best friend and my little sister seeing each other behind my back. I thought you were helping me protect her, Harry. How could you do this? How can I look at you the same way after seeing that kiss?” demanded Ron…“WELL?”

Harry was offended at that and responded forcefully, “Ron, you know I’ll always protect Ginny. As for when I fell for her, I don’t know when it happened. It just happened, and well, we admitted our feelings for each other several months ago. We were afraid you wouldn’t like us being a couple, so we’ve been trying to figure out the best way to tell you.” Harry continued in a more understanding tone, “It’s not that we were trying very hard to hide from you, it’s just you and Hermione have been pretty occupied with each other for some time, though I think she’s noticed us.” This didn’t seem to be going well. He wished Ginny had stayed to help him with this. She, at least, had a little control over Ron.

Continuing to stare at Harry, Ron rubbed his chin as if seriously thinking about something, “This is going to be hard,” Ron said in a much softer voice. “I know I’ve hinted in the past, but I never really imagined my best friend and Ginny together…and kissing and …”

“Ron, Ginny and I really care for each other, and Ginny wants so much to be your friend and not just your little sister,” said Harry very seriously. “Ginny and I just want us all to be close friends so we can have fun together with you and Hermione, only as another couple.”

Just then, they both noticed Ginny and Hermione walking across the common room towards them with broad grins on their faces.

Harry looked back at Ron, who had turned back to him, “I think we’ve been the victims of a conspiracy tonight,” said Harry, beginning to chuckle. Seeing Ron’s face break into a grin as they both turned back to the approaching conspirators, Harry knew everything was going to be just fine.

A/N Of course I own none of the characters, they belong to J.K. Rowling. This is my first story and has undergone many revisions. This one is hopefully closer to the original. I’d like to thank Ahmie, Michele, Ekaterin, and Cyn for their comments and inputs which have greatly influenced this story though I know this version won’t entirely please any one of them. They’ve all influenced my later writing.
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear