Search:

SIYE Time:8:15 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dimensions of the Soul
By ShawdowWriterMSP

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 15
Summary: The war was won, but everything was lost. Now Harry is alone with nothing but the ringing in his head reminding him of what he lost. But when a dimensional rift appears in his living room, he may just find a way back to her. To his soul mate. Only in this new dimension, war is still raging. Will Harry be forced to fight once more? (Soul-bond fic, dimension-fic. As seen on fanfiction[dot]net)
Hitcount: Story Total: 11908; Chapter Total: 1525





Author's Notes:
Here be Chapter 5. :) Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for all the lovely reviews too. :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


"GINNY! Come down to the kitchen, please!"

Ginny sat up from where she had been reading an Auror handbook she had got from Tonks a few weeks ago.

"Coming Mum!" she yelled back.

Ginny quickly stuffed the book under her mattress, out of sight, and moved quickly out of her room and down into the kitchen. She stopped abruptly in the doorway as she saw Dumbledore sitting at the head of the table sipping on a cup of tea while sampling some of the biscuits her mother had placed in front of him.

"Ah, Miss Weasley!" he said with a bright, yet tired smile. "Just the young lady I wished to talk to."

Thrown off by being the reason for the great wizard's visit, Ginny carefully walked into the room and sat down a few seats along from Dumbledore. Dumbledore paid no attention to her cautious attitude, continuing to smile as he complimented Molly on her biscuits which were 'excellent as always'.

Wondering what this was all about, Ginny just sat quietly and waited for Dumbledore to start talking.

"Now, Miss Weasley. I must admit, I find myself faced with a delicate situation of which you seem to be a part of," he started, blue eyes twinkling as he looked at her over the rims of his glasses.

"You see, we seem to have a young man, who claims to be Harry Potter from another dimension, and the Boy-Who-Lived from his world to boot, who you seem most eager to meet with. The fact that he is also so keen to meet you, is what concerns me most however. Either way though, I am most curious as to how you seemed to be aware of his arrival to Grimmauld Place despite having been told nothing about it."

The twinkle in Dumbledore's eyes had dimmed by this point, and Ginny found herself subjected to a far more piercing gaze, as if Dumbledore was trying to read the answer in her very soul.

Straightening subconsciously in her chair, Ginny met the headmaster's gaze and tried to explain what she could.

"After the umm — incident — of my first year, when Harry saved my life, we found ourselves connected, sir. And when he died, I lost that connection. Just the other night, I was sitting here at the table when I could suddenly feel the connection again for the first time. It feels like Harry, but I also get a sense that feels like Grimmauld Place."

Dumbledore knitted his fingers together, and rested his chin on then, as he seemed to stare into space.

"A connection, you say? So, when this connection was first formed, before it was broken, what could you feel at the time?" he said, still staring off at something only he could see.

"Umm, everything Harry could, I guess," she said uncertainly. "I was more preoccupied with the fact that I could feel it fading as he — as he died."

Ginny broke off, trying to maintain hold on her emotions as she remembered the horror of waking up only to feel Harry in pain as darkness gradually filled his vision.

"Strange…" Dumbledore mused. "I wonder how nobody saw it before."

"Saw what, Albus?" Molly said, sounding worried now.

"From the way your daughter describes it, it seems she formed some kind of magical bond with Mr Potter down in the Chamber. Whether it formed there, or if it was already in existence without yet having activated, I do not know. Either way, it is remarkable how well you have been since, Miss Weasley, if I may say so." Dumbledore said, peering at Ginny again.

Ginny narrowed her eyes.

"Yet everyone was so happy to just label me as fragile?" she said sharply. "You might have thought that odd, given how lively I always was before Hogwarts."

Molly flinched.

"We always tried to help you, dear, but you never would tell us what was wrong," she said, imploringly.

"Might I assume there was a mental aspect to your link with Harry?" Dumbledore interrupted.

"Why do you ask?" Ginny said carefully.

"Well, Miss Weasley, I am particularly skilled in the art of Legilimency, or reading the surface thoughts and feeling of people, if I choose to. However, both you and the young man at headquarters have a very strange impenetrable barrier that seems to prevent me from finding your thoughts at all, let alone identifying them. Normally, a person might have a barrier to block intrusions, but with you, I cannot find anything."

"You tried to read my mind?" Ginny practically growled. "And Harry's? Who gave you the right?"

"Ginny, really! Mind your tongue!" Molly admonished.

"No matter, Molly, I believe she has every right to be upset," Dumbledore said calmly. "However, Miss Weasley, I hope you can realise, you had just been possessed by a fearsome Dark object and I wished to ensure your mind was entirely your own. As for Mr Potter, I still find it difficult to trust him until I have more time to spend getting to know him. Legilimency would allow me to trust what he says much faster."

"And why don't you trust him, professor?" Ginny challenged. "You, who gave Malfoy a second chance, gave Snape a chance. You seem content to trust the untrustworthy,"

Ginny was getting upset now. The pull to Harry was starting to turn into a stronger itch, and the old man kept on giving her feeble excuses that held no merit to her mind.

Dumbledore sat upright upon hearing Ginny's harsh tone.

"I have always done my best to try allow people to redeem themselves, it is true, and I have often been proud when I turned out to be correct. But the war isn't going well, Miss Weasley. The last few times I trusted people, the Order lost two safe houses, the Ministry fell to Voldemort, and an assassination attempt on my own life cost us our own Professor McGonagall inside the walls of Hogwarts itself.

"A great number of people are looking to me now, and I am trying not to make the same mistakes of my past. If it so happens that I am wrong on this matter, the consequences are far less dire than if I am found to be right."

He sighed, and slumped down in his chair, running a hand over his eyes.

"I do apologise for my outburst, Miss Weasley, Molly. These are difficult times. I've just had a meeting with Mrs Potter, also demanding that her 'son', as she insists on calling him, is allowed the freedom to see you, Miss Weasley. If he would discuss some form of agreement, then I might be willing to allow him some chances to prove himself, but as it stands, he is refusing to help. I cannot force him to help us against his will, or I risk becoming more reprehensible than Tom himself."

Dumbledore looked up at Ginny again, blue eyes seeming to beg forgiveness.

"I realise now, with what you have told me, why you and he are so keen to meet. But I cannot, in good conscious, trust him not to hurt you or any other member of the Order at this time. I hope you can understand an old man's decision."

Ginny sat silently, her anger ebbing away, overwhelmed by everything Dumbledore had just said. The image of the greatest wizard of the age becoming overwhelmed and stressed was not a pleasant one. She just nodded quietly, not knowing what to say.

Dumbledore sighed once more, then pushed himself to his feet.

"I must take my leave of you now. I have more work to be done in setting up some wards on a new safe house. I do hope that you will be able to see Mr Potter soon. Until then however, I hope you remain well and I hope to be able to finish our conversation about this bond at a later time."

With that, he thanked Molly again for the tea before walking outside and apparating away.

Ginny continued to sit still at the table, sipping absentmindedly on a cup of tea her mum had pushed into her hands. She still wasn't satisfied with what Dumbledore had said. From what he said, Lily Potter had been allowed to visit Harry, but she, Ginny, could not? There seemed to be some hidden motive there that she couldn't understand. Why would Dumbledore not wish her specifically to meet Harry?

She was soon pulled out of her thoughts as Molly sat down opposite her and reached across the table to hold her daughter's hands.

"Ginny, dear?" Molly said quietly. "Why did you never tell us about the bond to Harry? We might have been able to help you more. Maybe we could have removed what remained of it to give you some peace."

"Don't you see though, mum? That is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Yes, it hurts. And yes, I hate feeling like half of me is just missing in some endless void, but it's the only thing I have left of Harry. It would be like I was trying to kill him from my own mind by removing it. And when I hate it most, well, maybe I needed a reminder to not be so weak ever again." She said, muttering the last bit more quietly, but her mother still heard her.

Molly leaped up, tears in her eyes, and moved around the table to engulf Ginny in a hug.

"I'm so sorry, my baby girl. I feel like I've failed you for letting you get so hurt and not even realising how bad it was," she sobbed into Ginny's shoulder.

"Mum, it's fine, I did my best to hide it. I didn't want anyone to take it away. And now Harry is back, and Ill be able to be with him again, and it'll be fine. Everything will be as it should've been." Ginny said, smiling through a few tears of her own. She didn't want to think about the possibility that she and Harry wouldn't be together again. Or that one of them might die in the war. If Harry was the Boy-Who-Lived, that put him right in Voldemort's line of fire, ahead of even Dumbledore. The prospect of losing Harry again, having gone so long without him now, was not one Ginny even wished to acknowledge. If Harry died, she had resolved, she would die right alongside him.

Ginny pushed away from her mum, and quietly made an excuse about having a nap, before retreating again to her room. Once barricaded safely inside, she finally allowed herself to break down in tears as the flood of feelings she had been holding back since Dumbledore brought up the Chamber rushed back. She wept as she remembered the awe-inspiring feeling of sharing her mind, magic and her very soul with Harry, and how, even as he died, he smiled up at her and thought seeing her alive and well was the most beautiful way to die.

Finally, the tears stopped, and Ginny lay now on her back, mentally exhausted and tired. She wearily pulled the covers out from under her, snuggled into her pillow and closed her eyes. As she tried to sleep, she reached out to the thin thread that was Harry and found a faint sense of comfort being sent back along it to her. She smiled, realising Harry must have felt her emotional pain in Grimmauld Place and was trying to help her. With that thought alone providing more comfort than the warmest of her mum's hugs, she was able to drift off to sleep.

******

GONG

Ginny woke up with a start, as the loud clanging echoed through the Burrow. It was promptly followed by a scream, and a great deal of shouting from downstairs. Leaping back out of bed, Ginny quickly grabbed her wand, thanked her luck that she had been too tired to put on sleepwear earlier, and dashed down the stairs to the living room.

Upon arriving, Ginny was met with pandemonium as her parents were both barking orders to Ron and the Twins to leave, while also trying to talk to several members of the Order as they walked out of the fireplace.

"What's going on?" Ginny demanded loudly to be heard over the ongoing ringing outside.

Her dad whipped around to see her standing there, wand out by her side, looking angry and determined.

"The Ministry must've known Dumbledore was here," he said. "The wards were just hit, the Burrow is under attack!"
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear