Search:

SIYE Time:2:08 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dimensions of the Soul
By ShawdowWriterMSP

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 15
Summary: The war was won, but everything was lost. Now Harry is alone with nothing but the ringing in his head reminding him of what he lost. But when a dimensional rift appears in his living room, he may just find a way back to her. To his soul mate. Only in this new dimension, war is still raging. Will Harry be forced to fight once more? (Soul-bond fic, dimension-fic. As seen on fanfiction[dot]net)
Hitcount: Story Total: 11910; Chapter Total: 1561





Author's Notes:
I did mean to upload here more often, but it turns out that intensive uni courses are rather insane for eating all of my time. So, here is chapter 4! The story is a long way ahead on ffnet, if you're impatient to get ahead, but I'm a very slow author, getting the time here and there to write more.
I'm glad to see that people are enjoying the story so far. :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The next morning, after a troubled night's sleep, Harry paced idly around the small bedroom he had been placed in and considered his situation. He was in a new dimension. And even here, they wanted him to help take down Voldemort.

Of course, this would happen to him, he thought with a snort. Ginny used to always tease him about his dreams for a quiet life, saying the whole world seemed determined to ensure his life was anything but quiet.

He sighed as he wondered about his next move. He could break out of the room easily enough — having the increased magical core from the soul-bond, the wards on the door could be overloaded with little effort, though he wasn't sure what the possible backlash might be. Knowing Dumbledore, they would be designed to alert him and likely several other members of the Order immediately thus reducing any chance Harry might get at escape. But if they tried to keep him from Ginny for too long, that may just be worth the price.

For now, Harry decided he was best playing along and seeing where that got him. If he could just gain Dumbledore's trust — but no. That wasn't important now! He wouldn't fight their war without knowing Ginny was okay.

Harry scuffed his shoes on the floorboards as his thoughts swung back and forth between deciding to help or to just break out and find Ginny himself. He focused in on the void in his mind, that was normally so empty but now held a gossamer thin thread. A link to the Ginny of this world. He focused on it with all his mind and caught a faint sense of warmth and homeliness he had come to associate with the Burrow.

Harry realised if the Burrow was still standing, there was a good chance some of the other Weasleys had also survived. He hadn't even considered that there may be others alive in this world, so focused had he been on the thoughts of seeing Ginny once more. If she was alive and 'fragile' as Dumbledore put it, she wouldn't be alone at the Burrow which suggested that Mr and Mrs Weasley were both still alive here. Maybe Ron and Hermione would still be alive too.

It had been too many months since Harry had last heard his best friends' voices. He smiled at the thought of listening to Hermione lecturing Ron on proper table manners while Ron continued to shovel food into his mouth at high speed. Just the thought of tasting Mrs Weasley's excellent cooking again was enough to make Harry's mouth start to water in anticipation.

Harry was soon pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of shouting getting closer to the door and the feeling of the wards shifting. He moved towards the door to try and listen more clearly but, before he could move more than one step across the room, the closer voice shouted,

" — and I'll be damned if I don't get to see him, James!" and the door slammed open.

Harry froze.

He had just considered the Weasleys might be alive, and Hermione too. Dumbledore clearly was still alive in this world, maybe some of the other Professors were too. He hoped that maybe Lupin and Tonks were still alive, and that Teddy hadn't been brutally killed with his Grandmother. He'd even considered Snape might be alive.

But this, he hadn't even dreamed of.

Standing in the doorway, green eyes still flashing with anger from her shouting, red hair starting to come free from a long braid, was none other than Lily Potter. As Harry adjusted to the shock, he realised she was still brandishing her wand at him.

"Tell me your name!" she demanded. "Your full name, and don't you dare lie to me!"

Harry gulped.

"Umm, Harry James Potter," he muttered. "And I'm not lying."

The arm holding her wand trembled as Lily stared into his matching green eyes before she suddenly launched herself across the room to grab Harry in a very tight hug.

"Oh, Harry! My little boy, you've come back!" she cried, sobbing freely into his shoulder.

Harry awkwardly lifted his arms and placed them around Lily's shoulders. Around his mother's shoulders. He didn't know what to think. The idea that he might still have parents in this world both excited and terrified him at the same time. Would they accept him willingly or would they be disappointed to see what he had become?

Lily suddenly pulled back away from him, and wiped furiously at the tears on face.

"So, you're from another dimension then?" she said briskly, trying to contain her emotions.

"Err, yeah. But it's not much of a place back there," Harry said.

"Not much of a place?" Lily said, narrowing her eyes. "Tell me about your life then. Was it much the same as this world up until…well…"

She broke off, unable to mention her son's death.

"I think it must have been very different," Harry said, drinking in the sight of his mother standing in front of him. No, not his mother. Some other, long-dead Harry's mother. Surely this Lily would soon realise that he wasn't her son and then she would undoubtedly avoid him, anxious to avoid the reminder of her own son.

Lily seemed to sense the turmoil in Harry as she guided him gently back to sit on the bed where she then sat down next to him, rubbing her hand soothingly over his back. Harry closed his eyes, trying not to break down in tears at the unfamiliar comfort.

When he regained some of his composure, he carefully opened his eyes and, after a glance to see Lily still looking intently at him, he averted his eyes and started quietly.

"I think my world diverted from this one around Halloween of 1981," Harry said carefully.

Beside him, Lily stiffened, clearly understanding what he was referencing.

"Neville wasn't the Boy Who Lived, was he?" she whispered.

Harry sighed.

"No, he wasn't," he said pushing back his fringe in the oh-so-familiar motion to show the lightning bolt scar on his forehead. "When Voldemort killed my parents, their sacrifice helped to give me a protection that reflected the killing curse back onto him," he said quickly, trying to ignore the fact the woman sat next to him was his mother from another world.

Lily chocked back a sob and immediately took him into a warm hug again.

"I'm so sorry I was never there for you. I guess, its funny, I've lost you in this world, and you never knew me in your world. Maybe we can both accept each other here?" she said, sounding rather hesitant but with a note of desperation in her voice too.

Harry broke at the sound of pleading she used.

"O-of course," he stuttered. "I'd like to get to know you and — and dad."

Lily pulled away, her expression darkening.

"I hope you can get to know him too. But right now, he isn't so trusting of you to not be some plot by Voldemort," she said grimly.

Harry could well believe it. From what stories he had been told of his parents, they were fiercely loyal to Dumbledore, and he didn't seem keen to trust Harry either.

"If he and Dumbledore don't trust me, why are you here?" Harry asked quietly.

Lily looked at him sadly, her eyes misty.

"You're my son," she said simply. "I don't care if you're from another world, or if you're a Dark wizard, you will always be my son."

Unable to form any coherent words, Harry did something he had only ever been known to do to Ginny before now, and took his mother in a tight hug. He buried his face into her shoulder and cried. He cried for all the times he had wished for a mother's love and for all the times he had wondered whether she would even like the person he had become. His mother held him just as tightly, rubbing his back and whispering comforting words to him as he cried himself out.

Ginny looked up as her dad made his way into the kitchen and sat at the head of the table for breakfast. He smiled tiredly as he said good morning before focusing on the morning's Daily Prophet. Ginny watched as her mother placed a warm coffee in front of him without a word. She narrowed her eyes as she considered that simple act. Her parents had each other. Why couldn't she be with Harry? She felt…betrayed. Maybe they would be more susceptible to the idea now they had slept on it.

"Mum, Dad," she said, pausing to get their attention, "I'd like to see Harry, please."

"Absolutely not!" Molly snapped immediately.

"Molly!" Arthur said with a sharp warning tone. He sighed.

"I'm not sure that would be the best idea just now, Ginny," he said gently.

Ginny looked at him blankly.

"Why not?" she challenged.

Arthur sighed again.

"We don't know anything about him, Ginny. He might be dangerous."

"Why would he be dangerous? It's Harry! Remember him? Mum, you used to love Harry, always making treacle tart when he came around. Dad, you used to love quizzing him about the muggle technology his mum taught him to use. Why won't you trust him now?" she said, letting the frustration edge into her tone.

"Ginny, he isn't the same Harry. This isn't our Harry. He died. This man, well, he's…colder from what Dumbledore said. He has already fought in a war, and shows little interest in fighting in ours. That isn't the warm and happy boy we knew, who would risk his own life to save his friends. If he doesn't even act the same, how can we be sure he is the same person?" her dad said, trying to reason with her.

Ginny fell silent again, thinking how she might convince them. If only she could get close to him, she would be able to feel him, and know if he was still her Harry or not.

"If I can just be allowed in the room, maybe with someone else, just to be safe. Surely, he won't be able to do anything if there is some else there. Dumbledore himself, if that's what it takes!"

Arthur sighed yet again. He seemed to be doing that a lot since Neville died and the Ministry had fallen.

"I'll ask Albus next time I see him and that is all I will say," he said firmly.

He shook his head at Molly as she frowned at him, warning her not to argue. Ginny just smiled and hugged her father.

"Thanks Dad," she murmured, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"But not until Albus approves it himself!" her mother added sharply.

Ginny just rolled her eyes as she moved back up to her room, passing Ron on the stairs as he blearily headed down for breakfast.

It wasn't exactly a victory, but it was progress in the right direction. Now, all Ginny needed was for Dumbledore himself to give her the go ahead. She chewed on her bottom lip anxiously as she realised that was very unlikely. Everyone seemed to know her as fragile these days, and she had done nothing to disabuse people of the notion. She simply hadn't cared enough about their opinions. With Voldemort still a threat, she had spent too many hours locked away practicing defence, only enhancing the image that she was quiet and reclusive. What a shock the world would be in for when she finally got Harry back.

"Mum?" Harry said hesitantly.

"Yes dear?" Lily replied.

After Harry had calmed down, he and Lily had sat in his room and talked about some of the less important differences between their two worlds. Who had ended up dating who, and which team won the Quidditch World Cup; the unimportant details. Neither had yet strayed into the uncomfortable topic of the fight against Voldemort, or the mention of anybody's death.

Now, however, Harry wanted to ask the only question he wanted to get an answer for. He sought around for the right words for a few moments.

"Why doesn't anyone trust me here?" he said slowly.

"I trust you, dear!" Lily said quickly.

"Then why are we still sitting in a sealed room for this conversation where I have no wand?" he shot back.

Lily frowned at him, a strange look in her eyes.

"The war has been…unpleasant here," she said. "With the Order standing as the only defence since the fall of the Ministry a few months ago, we have already had two attempted infiltrations try to bring us down from the inside. We lost two safe houses to those incidents. Thankfully we still have Hogwarts and, of course, here among a few other places even I don't know about."

"Why is the Order not fighting more actively then?" Harry asked curiously.

"Harry, you must understand, we're not strong enough. As it stands, the war is as good as over. We just try to help any refugees out of the country and, for the most part, keep our heads down. The only saving grace is, if Voldemort can be taken down, his entire regime will fall with him, as so many people in the Ministry are either afraid to stand against him, or under the Imperius curse."

"So, you summoned a new Chosen One to fight him for you?" Harry said, feeling the bitterness well up again. He had sworn to be done with the fighting when Ginny died. Harry hated the war, but even more, he hated to concept that the world was on his shoulders. Here, he was an unknown factor. He could just be nobody, and live a quiet life in peace. If only it weren't for Voldemort. Again. His whole life had been defined by Voldemort, it seemed, and it was still affecting him in this new world. The only reason he hadn't just demanded to be sent back to his own world was the chance that this world might be better. He could feel Ginny, and he wouldn't leave this world without her. And now that he had parents again, he saw no good reason to leave at all.

Harry was startled out of his reflection by his mother shifting from the chair opposite to sit beside him and pull him into a hug.

"I don't want you to have to fight, Harry," she said gently. "I don't want you in danger. But if you know anything that might help us, anything at all, I'm sure that would be enough."

Harry shook his head. Information alone wouldn't be enough. He stood up abruptly.

"I need to see Ginny," he said clearly. "Let me see her, and then I'll help. I'll even make sure to take down Voldemort for you. But I don't want to be sent back. The war didn't go so well in my world and there is nothing left for me there. Everyone I ever loved is dead. You bring me Ginny, and then we can talk about the war."

Throughout all this, he spoke firmly, trying to leave no doubt that these were his conditions.

Lily stood up and nodded briskly at him.

"Alright, Harry. I'll talk to Dumbledore to try come to an arrangement," she said.

"Thank you," Harry said, in a softer tone.

She smiled wanly at him, before turning and leaving the room, letting the wards seal him in again once she had left.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear