Search:

SIYE Time:15:43 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


All My Heart
By ginnyweasley777

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 18
Summary: A distraught Harry disappeared from the Wizarding World, but what happens when he returns to Hogwarts for Ginny's seventh year?
Hitcount: Story Total: 7418; Chapter Total: 1685





Author's Notes:
My apologies for the delay in getting this chapter out. I'm in the run up to the time of year that's most stressful and where all my time is spent staring intently at sheep's...er lambing I mean. So updates will continue to be slow until April for that reason.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


All My Heart
Chapter Three: Bittersweet


Ginny was vaguely aware of murmurs around the classroom as the realisation that Harry Potter - who had defeated Voldemort and then disappeared more than a year ago with many fearing him dead - was their new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor dawned on them, but she just sat in stunned silence after her initial reaction. It was apparent from the look on his face that he clearly hadn’t expected to see her, and a mixture of emotions ran through her at the sight of him: relief that he wasn’t dead, sadness at the memory of the battle, and anger at him for leaving without a word and letting everyone - her mother especially - worry about where he was and if he was even alive.

Evie nudged her. ‘Come on, Ginny.’

‘What?’ asked Ginny as Evie’s voice pulled her from her thoughts.. She looked around and was surprised to see the rest of the class on their feet.

‘We’re supposed to be practising shield charms,’ replied Evie, rolling up her sleeves and brandishing her wand.

‘Oh, right,’ muttered Ginny, standing up and pulling out her own wand, all the while feeling as though she’d just been hit with a Bludger.

‘Are you okay? It’s a bit of a shock, isn’t it.’

‘Yeah, you could say that.’ She looked around to see that Harry was still stood awkwardly at the front of the room, apparently lost in his own thoughts with a look of pain etched across his face. She had the sudden realisation that perhaps it had just been as much of a shock to Harry as it had been to her.



By the end of the day, the news that Harry was the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor was all around the school; the whole place was buzzing. Ginny felt exhausted as she finally sunk down into an armchair near the fire and wished that everyone would just shut up about it. She’d already threatened Romilda Vane with a Bat Bogey Hex if she didn’t stop quizzing her; Romilda seemed to think she knew some inside information on Harry’s reappearance into the wizarding world and didn’t seem to believe her when she said that she knew as little as everyone else.

As she stared at the flames crackling merrily in front of her, she wondered what she was supposed to do; her family surely didn’t know about it or she would have no doubt heard from them by now. But what was she supposed to tell them? Somehow, the idea of writing a letter saying, ‘Hi everyone, just to let you know that Harry is back and is the new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. Love, Ginny,’ didn’t exactly seem right to her.

And she couldn’t do that to Harry either, because her family would surely barge in unannounced as soon as she told them, and if his reaction to seeing her again was anything to go by then he was just as likely to bolt and disappear into the unknown again. No, she should try to find out why he’d left in the first place, if she could, and let him know before she told her family. So she would have to talk to him. She looked at her watch and saw that it was too late to go then, so she determined to speak to him the next day.

She sighed and wondered just what she would say to him. It had been more than a year since she’d seen him or spoken to him - the last time had been when she’d stubbornly refused to leave the castle along with the other students when Riddle had launched his deadly attack and Harry had inadvertently told her he loved her. She remembered is as clear as day even though it was bittersweet now.

She joined the rest of the Gryffindor students filing out of the portrait hole ready to be escorted to Professor McGonagall’s office where they could Floo to safety only at her family’s and Harry’s insistence. She was halfway down the corridor when she stopped in her tracks, barely feeling the other students pushing and shoving her in their race for safety. She just realised that she couldn’t do it - she couldn’t walk away from everyone she loved and leave them to their fate while she fled, that wasn’t her. She couldn’t leave her family, and Harry…she couldn’t leave Harry.

Without thinking, she turned and spun on her heel, ignoring the cries of several of her friends and shaking off the hands that tried to stop her as she bolted back the way she’d just come, back towards the Gryffindor tower. She flung the portrait hole open roughly, much to the Fat Lady’s disgust, and tumbled into the common room.

Regaining her footing, she flew towards Harry, who, despite the furious look on his face, lurched forwards to meet her halfway. And then she was in his arms and she kissed him as she fought back the fear that threatened to consume her.

“I just couldn’t do it,” she said against his lips, “I couldn’t leave you!”

“You’re so stupid, Ginny,” mumbled Harry as he kissed her again. He pulled back and cupped her face with his hands. “You were meant to leave, Ginny! I needed you to leave and be safe because I love you!”

“I love you too! I’m sorry, I just couldn’t go…” He kissed her again and pulled her close.


That had been the last time she’d seen him properly, except for fleeting glimpses during the battle but she’d been too busy staying alive to speak to him. And then after that last fight he’d had with Tom everything seemed to happen so fast and then he disappeared.

She’d missed him so damn much after that, but in a way she’d been furious with him too for leaving the way he had. But seeing him again here in the castle made her realise that she couldn’t hold it against him when he was obviously in so much pain.



It was after classes the following day before Ginny was finally able to track Harry down in his office and she was filled with trepidation as she knocked on the door.

‘Come in,’ called Harry.

Ginny wasn’t prepared for the panicked look on Harry’s face as she pushed open the door and stepped into the office and she froze, unsure of what to say or do. He was sat in the chair behind the desk and looked for all the world as though he was ready to flee right away, his body poised to leap out of his seat.

The door fell shut behind her with a sharp rap and it brought her to her senses. ‘Hi, Harry,’ she said, walking forward with the thought that it was probably best to act as normal and casual as possible in the situation.

A nerve twitched in Harry’s face as he swallowed hard and tried to force his words out. ‘Gin-Ginny,’ he stuttered eventually. ‘What are you doing here?’

Ginny sat down in the chair opposite him and shrugged. ‘I just thought I’d come and see you.’

‘There was no need,’ said Harry, looking down at his hands which gripped the edge of the desk so hard his knuckles were white. ‘I wouldn’t even be here if McGonagall…’

Ginny took a deep breath and pushed down all the questions she so desperately wanted to ask him. ‘I can come and see a friend if I want to,’ she said lightly, trying to put him at ease and abate the tension that hung in the air between them.

Harry’s head shot up in surprise and Ginny was shocked by the haunted look in his emerald green eyes. He reached up and ran a hand nervously though his hair, making it stick up even more that usual. ‘We’re not friends,’ he replied shortly.

‘We were once,’ retorted Ginny quietly. Much more than friends once, she thought. She sighed. ‘Listen, Harry, I’m not here to have a go at you or ask you where you’ve been or what you’ve been doing. I just want to see how you are and give you a warning before I write home.’

‘You can’t tell them!’ exclaimed Harry, jumping up from his seat and pacing to the window.

‘There’s more than just me in the school, Harry, it’s going to get out somehow,’ she replied reasonably.

He turned back to face her, the pale sunlight filtering into the room around him. ‘No, McGonagall is supposed to be taking care of that somehow…’

‘But-’

He walked back across the room and threw himself down into his chair, wringing his hands together. ‘Don’t tell your family, I don’t think I could cope,’ he stressed.

‘I can’t lie to them,’ replied Ginny incredulously.

Harry looked at her properly for the first time since he’d left. ‘Please, they wouldn’t…I’m not…’

Ginny didn’t know what it was that was troubling Harry, but it was obviously upsetting him at the thought of her family knowing of his presence in the school. ‘I suppose I can wait a while before I mention anything,’ she found herself saying hesitantly.

Harry sighed with relief and visibly sunk in his seat. ‘Thank you,’ he said sincerely.

She shrugged. ‘I can’t keep it from them forever...’

‘I know,’ he replied quickly.

‘I didn’t mean to come in here and upset you...it was a shock seeing you yesterday.’

Harry looked away guiltily. ‘Yeah, for me too...I just didn’t...I’m sorry.’

‘What for?’ she asked.

A tortured look crossed his face. ‘For everything I put your family through...’

‘None of that was your fault,’ she replied quietly.

Harry put his head in his hands. ‘It was...I can’t do this right now, can you go please?’

‘But-’

‘Just go,’ he exclaimed, struggling for breath as panic clogged his throat.

Stunned, Ginny rose, unsure of what to do. He looked up at her with anguish in his eyes, begging her silently to leave.

She left, and felt worse that when she’d arrived.
Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear