Search:

SIYE Time:2:24 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Veil
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Holidays
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 113
Summary: In the fall of 1996 Harry finds a book about the ancient holidays just before Samhain, or what has become Hallowe'en. Tradition says communication with the dead is possible. Harry enlists Ginny to help him find out if its true.
Hitcount: Story Total: 59198; Chapter Total: 2158
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
The characters got very chatty in this chapter. More to come next week. Happy Easter to those who celebrate. My other job, the church one, is keeping me quite busy. MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 7:
Reunions, Part 2

October 31, 1996, 12:32 am
Common Room, Gryffindor Tower


“I don’t understand why I had to shower AGAIN,” Harry said to Ginny. “I was clean from the one I took earlier today.”

“It’s yesterday now, and you have to be absolutely clean for the spell. You used the special soap Mum sent, right?” she queried.

“Yes, I did exactly as you said.”

“Good, we need to be going. You’ve brought the special socks Mum knitted. You’ll need to put them on once we’re in the Room of Requirement.”

“Yes, Ginny, I swear I am doing all of this just like you promised. I really want the spell to work. I had part of my family for a little while …” Ginny put her hand on his shoulder as he trailed off.

“Come on,” she said, giving his sleeve a tug. Harry draped them in his unique cloak, and together they sneaked through the halls, deftly dodging Mrs. Norris, and Madame Pomfrey, who appeared to be coming from the Ravenclaw dorms. Harry had to stay close to Ginny, as they both were taller, and only by being close and sort of crouching down could they keep their feet hidden. He wasn’t sure why, but he liked the way it felt to be close to Ginny. He figured it was because she was his only friend who didn’t ask lots of questions or who rambled on about his girlfriend to him; being in the middle of the Ron-Hermione-Lavender debacle was taxing.

When they arrived at the Room, they walked back and forth the requisite times, and entered as silently as they had moved through the castle. The room was just as they had left it a few hours ago. Harry couldn’t help wondering what it looked like for other people, as he’d only ever seen it as a classroom and the small sitting room it created for the pair for this use.

“I’ve read through the spell Mum sent, so put your socks on and let’s get this potion brewing.” Ginny had already perched herself on one of the ladderback chairs which were circling the table. There were several wing backs and poofs just beyond the table, and a very comfortable looking loveseat.

Once they were both in their clean socks, Ginny took the willow broom she and Harry had made from dried branches from the Whomping Willow — a bit of revenge on his part for the crazy ride he took at the end of his third year — and began sweeping in a counter-clockwise motion. Harry took the fresh cloth from the pocket of his jeans and opened the bottle of laurel tea they’d brewed to clean the wood with.

“This stuff reeks,” he commented.

“Just don’t drink it,” she replied. “It’s toxic.”

“Trust me, swallowing it was the last thing on my mind.”

Then candles were arranged in a circle on the table, starting at the twelve-o’clock position, where Harry would be sitting, was the black candle with the red inside. At the six-o’clock position was the white candle. Here there was no chair, an invitation for those being summoned to settle down and talk. The food was on a small table amidst the seating area, in line with the white and black candles. At the two and eight positions were the yellow candles and at four and ten were the lavender. In the centre were pictures of Harry’s loved ones; mum and dad, Sirius, even one of his paternal grandparents that Molly had found from his parents wedding. In the very centre was the potion that Ginny had made, and the pink fire in its jar, keeping the brew at the perfect temperature.

“Time for all those stories, huh?” Harry said nervously. He wanted this so badly he was terrified of failure. If this didn’t work, if he didn’t get to see the people he longed for, Harry wasn’t sure what he’d do. He was already so tired. The lessons about Tom Riddle with Dumbledore were taking their toll, as was the ever-present push of the man and his mob upon him. If he were frank, he knew it would all come down to a duel between the two of them. They were connected somehow, and Harry felt so small against Voldemort even with the whole twin wand protections.

“Harry, it will work,” Ginny said as she stood behind him, her hands on his shoulders. “Get out of your head. Mum wouldn’t set you up for failure. She loves you too much.”

“How do you know when I’m all lost in my head?” he asked, realising she often told him to refocus on the task they were working on, rather than him thinking so much.

“You scrunch your forehead up and sort of close your eyes. Bill does something similar,” she explained. “Okay, you want me to start with Mum’s note, or do you want to read?”

“You start,” he replied. “I’m in knots and think I might be sick.”

“Well, if you are, aim away from my feet, please.” Harry chuckled, feeling a little better at her dry delivery of her request.

Ginny opened the parchment her mother had sent in the preparation package two days ago. Molly’s handwriting was perfectly slanted, and there were no mistakes. Ginny envied her mother’s skill, although she secretly suspected her mum had a dictation quill, which is why everything was so well thought out. Molly wrote her Howlers in her anger, and the handwriting exemplified the degree of her displeasure at said child. The messier, the angrier.

“Dear Harry,” Ginny read, “I want to tell you about the day you were baptized. I had known your father since he was a little boy; our families are linked you know. Your parents were so proud of you, and I don’t think I’d ever seen your father so enamoured with anything the way he was with you. I know you know Sirius is your godfather, well, he wore a suit to church that day — I didn’t know Sirius even owned a Muggle suit, but I suspect it had something to do with his girlfriend. His hair was even presentable, and you could clearly see all the important bits of his face. When Lily placed you in his arms, I swear a tear fell off his cheek. His love for you was as strong as any parent’s. Sirius was known for being reckless, especially when he was out on a mission for the Order; but after that day he was less so. I truly believe his being responsible for you made him grow up.”

“It did,” a familiar voice said, and the spirit of Sirius Black materialized on one of the wingbacks. He was wearing the same clothes as the night at the Ministry. Harry went to stand, but Ginny kept him down.

“You can’t move until we finish the spell,” she said.

“Stay right there, pup,” Sirius also recommended. “There are others who I know you want to see. Keep reading, Red, your mum, was never a fan of mine. I’m shocked she said something nice.”

“Oh, don’t believe the bluster,” Ginny told him with a grin. “I secretly think my mum was enamoured with you. All good girls find bad boys intriguing.”

“I see,” he replied with a half-cocked grin. “Go on, does your mum have more to say.”

“She does. I also want to tell you about your grandparents, Julia and Andrew. They were the grandest of people. Friends of my parents and my Auntie Muriel, the Potters were often around at family gatherings. Your grandmother was such a gentlewoman, in the truest sense of the word. She never had a bad word to say about anyone — Sirius included — and she was always there to lend a hand or give you a shoulder to cry on. Your grandfather was my favourite professor at Hogwarts, his history classes were always exciting and engaging. My parents also called him the finest Minister for Magic England ever saw.”

“It appears your mother is still prone to bouts of flattery,” Andrew Potter said as he materialized next to a woman who appeared to be about the same age. Sirius immediately rose and hugged the woman and shook the man’s hand.

“Glad you made it through unscathed,” Sirius said to the pair.

“We’re happy you did too. Is Jamie here yet?” she whispered.

“Not yet, but they’re only on Molly’s letter. I’m sure Remus said a whole lot in his letter,” Sirius said softly in her ear.

“You’re my grandparents,” Harry said, the pull to stand was so strong, but he stayed where he was.

“Yes, dear boy, we are,” Julia answered. “Oh, look at how grown up you are.”

“You’ll have plenty of time to fuss over him, we have all day. Let him finish his ceremony, dear,” Andrew cajoled, and Julia agreed. “What else does your mother say?”

“That’s about it. She just reminds Harry that she loves him and hopes he has a nice visit with all of you,” Ginny said.

“Please give our best to your Mum when you write to her next,” Julia asked.

“I will,” the young woman replied.

Harry was picking up the letter from Remus when something strange happened, a new door appeared on the wall opposite where the entrance to the castle was. While Harry and Ginny were perplexed, the other three were grinning wildly. The door opened inward, and Remus walked through followed by James and Lily. Unlike the first three, these three were all flesh and blood.

“Oh, my boy,” Lily murmured before rushing to Harry and pulling him from his seat so she could hug him. Harry was confused, but he let those thoughts slide away as he reveled in the hug he was receiving from his mum. He’d never felt this loved, at least not that he could remember. She released him only long enough for his father to grab him and hug him even tighter. Love so wholly overwhelmed Harry that he thought he might be faint.


“How are you here?” Harry stammered to say.
“That is a very long story,” James started, “and it begins on the night we supposedly died.”

“Supposedly?” Sirius asked.

“Neither of us were completely dead,” Lily explained. “While it appeared James was dead, because I wasn’t — I was in limbo — and we were married by the old rites, James didn’t die either. The god and goddess were able to bring us back easily.”

“Wait, I’m confused,” Harry admitted.

“I was too,” Remus said. “Especially when they showed up on the landing between my room and yours at Grimmauld Place yesterday.”

“You apparated into the house, even with Dumbledore’s spells on it?” Sirius said, shocked.

“We discovered that some rules of magic don’t really apply when you’re on a mission from the god,” James answered.

“Come over here, Harry,” Lily beaconed him, patting the seat next to her on the loveseat. “We have so much to tell you.”

“Harry, I’m going to head back to the tower —” Ginny said.

“Absolutely not!” Julia protested. “Sirius get up and give the girl the chair. Where are your manners.”

“Sorry, Mum,” Sirius answered sheepishly before moving to sit on a poof between Julia and Lily.

“This is a time for family. I think I should just let things be,” Ginny protested again.

“I’d like it if you stayed,” Harry said, and Ginny nodded before awkwardly sitting down. In the meantime, James had warmly greeted his brother in all but blood, although it had only been a short time since they’d seen one another. When Lily stood, however, it was a very different embrace which took place.

“I’ve never been so happy to see you, Padfoot.”

“That goes double for me, Petal. You look just like the day you…at least you’re not wearing that ridiculous costume you’d had on earlier in the day.”

“It was Halloween, and the dress was...oh never mind, just give me another hug, you big oaf.” Sirius did as she requested. When he released her, she reached up and dared touch his hair. “The grey is nice, makes you look distinguished. The tattoos though, a few too many.”

“Well, I didn’t get much of a say in quite a few. The guards at Azkaban thought it was fun to burn them onto you.” Lily grabbed him and hugged him again.

“Was this what it was like?” Harry asked Remus, who was sitting the chair closest to him.

“Your mum and Sirius? Yes. They didn’t like one another for the longest time, and then he started dating,” he paused not wanting to say her name, “that girl and things changed. By the time your mum and dad married Lily was as close to Sirius, and your dad was.”

“Not only the two of them but all of this,” Harry said. “Is this what it’s like to have your own family?”

“Yes. Your grandparents made everyone feel loved. They all but adopted me when James brought me home the first time, in our third year, once they’d figured out about my furry little problem. They’d already given Sirius a better home than he’d had; they did the same with me. Your grandmother is a remarkable woman, and I’ve never known a finer man than your grandfather, Dumbledore included.

“That’s really saying something. I need to talk with you about something, later. Something about these lessons he’s giving me,” Harry said, a bit fearful as Dumbledore told him not to tell anyone.

“If it’s about those meetings you have where you discuss Voldemort and the Horcruxes,” James interjected. “They’re going to stop.”

“Why?” Harry asked.

“Because, my dear boy,” Andrew said, “there is a better way to defeat Voldemort that does not rely on misunderstood magic or your innate sense of duty.”

“But, how?”

“Harry, what do you think brought us back? We’re here to end that dark and evil man right now,” Lily said. “We are all going to be here to do this!”

“But how?”

“That is where I come in,” a man’s voice said as the god’s oak-leaved face appeared before the rest of him. His mate appeared only moments after him. “Sit down, Harry Potter, we have much to tell you.”


Reviews 113
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear