Search:

SIYE Time:8:25 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Glimpses
By morphin3

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: A series of one-shots featuring our favorite couple. I'll try to keep them in chronological order!
Hitcount: Story Total: 5279; Chapter Total: 1287





Author's Notes:
Honestly, these characters crack me up. So sneaky, so sly.
Prompt: Scorpius Malfoy




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry stared at the invitation in his hand. Ginny, passing the living room on her way to the laundry room, did a double take and came around the couch to stand by him, still holding James’ dirty pajamas. He didn’t look up at her, didn’t acknowledge her; he was too stunned.

“Harry,” Ginny asked slowly, “what’s wrong?”

Still not moving his eyes from the parchment in his hand, Harry gestured with his other hand. Ginny stepped closer to him and peered at the parchment. She let out a short laugh.

“Oh, Harry, the way you’re standing here, I thought something was really wrong!” She rested a hand on Harry’s arm, still laughing, but Harry only sucked in a breath and continued staring. Ginny stopped laughing and squeezed his arm.

“Harry?” she asked, worried now. “Harry, talk to me. It’s a birthday party invitation. Why is this such a big deal?”

Finally, Harry looked at her. “Did you see,” he asked in a low voice, “who the invitation is from?”

Frowning, Ginny looked at the parchment again, double-checking that she had read the name correctly. “From Draco and Astoria, right? For their son Scorpius? Oh, yes, right, Harry, he’s about Al’s age, or close to. Merlin, is Scorpius turning five? That means Al is almost five... I feel old now. At least a gift will be easy, since we know what almost-five-year-olds enjoy these days.”

“Ginny,” Harry said slowly, shaking his head, “you’re missing the point. Draco Malfoy just invited our family to his house for a birthday party. Malfoy. Potter. Birthday party. Surely you can understand how odd this is!”

Ginny laughed again and leant up to kiss Harry’s cheek. “Oh, Harry,” she said fondly, “I thought you said just the other week that you and Malfoy - gasp - cooperated on passing that new Auror policy, and, more shocking, you said that he was not as awful to work with as you expected.”

“But that’s-”

“And didn’t you say that it would be good to work together and get to know one another now, as fully grown wizards, instead of clinging to mistrust?”

“I did say that, but-”

“Harry,” Ginny cut him off sternly, “Draco is obviously trying to make an effort to put the past behind him. Something I think you know a lot about, right?”

Harry opened his mouth again, then shut it. He sighed. Ginny was right, and they both knew it. Of all people, Harry knew what it was like to try and move on from the past. If that meant attending a five-year-old’s birthday party, then so be it.

Ginny smiled pointedly at him with brows raised, and Harry sighed again. “I’ll respond that we are delighted to attend,” he said, and Ginny’s smile grew softer.

“Good decision, love,” she murmured, leaning up to kiss him again. “I promise that if it’s awful, we can leave after an hour and I’ll remind you how to really celebrate.”

Harry smiled, wrapped an arm around Ginny’s waist, and pulled her closer to him. “You’re not making it easy for me to have high hopes for this party, you realize,” he whispered in her ear.

Ginny winked at him. “Well, I could also reward you if we stay the whole time, so there’s an incentive.”

Harry rolled his eyes and kissed her forehead, then her nose, then her mouth. “You just want me to go to this party, one way or another, is that it?”

“Finally catching on, Potter?” Ginny pulled out of his arms after one last kiss. “I knew I married you for more than your wealth.”

**************************** ***************************

By the morning of Scorpius’ party, Harry had lost some of his enthusiasm. He fiddled with his robes in front of the mirror while Ginny sat and fixed her hair. “Remind me again why we’re going to this thing,” he whined.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “We’re going because Draco invited us. We’re going because we are adults and able to to move on from the past. We’re going because Ron and Hermione were also invited and I told Hermione that you were going, so Ron is also going.”

Harry grimaced at her, and Ginny sighed.

“You’re going because I’m going to reward your good behavior later,” Ginny said primly, and Harry leaned over and kissed her neck; she swatted him, and he grabbed her arm and kissed her wrist, too.

“Harry,” Ginny was smiling, but her tone was serious. “Harry, please, try and be nice to Draco and Astoria. They’ve taken the first step and invited us, and I think we could be maybe not quite friends, but respectful acquaintances. Albus and Scorpius are going to be classmates in a few years and we’re going to see a lot of the Malfoys at Ministry events, so we may as well embrace it and try to make the best of it. Please, Harry.” She stood and wrapped her arms around his waist, pushing her nose into his chest.

Harry linked his fingers behind Ginny’s back and kissed the top of her head. “Alright. I’ll give Malfoy a chance.”

“Call him Draco, Harry.” Ginny’s voice was muffled against his shirt, and Harry chuckled and sighed.

“Alright, Draco. I’ll give Draco a chance.” He nudged Ginny’s head with his cheek, and when she looked up at him, he smiled at her. “Do the number of chances I give him correspond to my rewards later?”

“Oi!” Ginny swatted him and pulled out of his embrace. “Go make sure your sons have shoes on.”

******************************** *************************

Holding Lily on his hip, Harry raised a hand to knock on the front door of the Malfoy estate. Ginny stood next to him, one hand holding Albus’ hand, the other resting gently on Harry’s back. Her silent support calmed Harry’s nerves, and he took a deep breath and knocked firmly.

Almost immediately, the door was opened by a tall, slender woman who could only be Astoria Malfoy.

“Welcome, come in, thank you so much for coming,” she greeted them warmly. Harry tried to contain his surprise as she ushered them into the foyer, which was decorated with streamers and more balloons than Harry had ever seen in one place.

“Did you find us alright? Oh, let me call Draco,” said Astoria as she leaned down a hallway. Harry caught Ginny’s eye and raised a brow; she winked at him and then smiled broadly at the returning Astoria.

“Thank you so much for inviting us, Astoria, we’re thrilled to be here. And where is the birthday boy?” Ginny clasped Astoria’s hand in both of hers, like they were old friends reunited, and Harry looked away quickly, just in time to see Draco enter the foyer.

“Harry, Ginny, thanks for coming,” and Draco extended his hand to Harry. Harry looked him in the eye, took his hand, shook it firmly. It was odd, to be sure, to be called ‘Harry’ instead of ‘Potter’ by Draco, but Harry remembered Ginny’s warning and promise and decided to embrace it.

“Thanks for inviting us, Draco,” Harry replied. He shifted Lily on his hip. “I don’t know if you’ve met all my children yet. This is Lily,” he tilted his head, and Lily smiled shyly at Draco, who smiled slightly and nodded his head towards her.

“This is my oldest, James,” continued Harry, pointing to his son, who waved, “and this is my second born, Albus, who is just a couple months younger than Scorpius.” Albus grinned sheepishly, and Draco smiled kindly at them.

“Albus,” said Draco, and Harry smiled encouragingly at his son, “would you like to come into the parlor and meet Scorpius?”

Albus nodded and followed Draco down the hall. Harry quirked his head to James, who shrugged and followed Albus. Harry turned to Ginny, who was chatting with Astoria. She looked over at him and smiled, and Harry went to her side and kissed her cheek and whispered, “We’ll be in the parlor.” Ginny nodded, squeezed his arm briefly as he walked away.

******************************* ***********************************

I n the parlor, Harry found himself glad to be holding Lily; she gave him an excuse to leave small talk with strangers. Eventually, he ended up next to Ron, whose left arm was tightly wrapped in both of Hugo’s hands. Harry smiled down at Hugo, and Hugo smiled back but did not let go of Ron’s arm.

“He’s a little nervous around strangers,” explained Ron unnecessarily. Harry nodded wisely, adjusting Lily so she sat more comfortably on his arm.

His eyes on Rose, Albus, and Scorpius across the room, Ron asked, “so Ginny made you come?” and Harry blinked.

“She, er, convinced me that it was a good idea, yeah,” Harry answered, thankful he was able to keep his voice even. “Hermione got you?”

Ron nodded. “She said that our kids are going to be in the same class at Hogwarts, and we’re all adults, and something about moving on from the past, and I reckon she’s right. I didn’t tell her that, of course-” he winked at Harry “-saving that for later. But I was surprised to get the invitation, that’s for sure.”

Harry chuckled. “I think I went into shock. Ginny found me in the living room after I’d been standing there for about ten minutes.”

Ron guffawed loudly, then turned it into a cough when several people turned their heads. “Enjoying yourselves?” Draco’s voice came from behind them and both Ron and Harry whipped their heads around. Draco smirked at them as they exchanged uneasy glances; Harry could tell Ron was thinking the same thing: how much had Draco heard?

“In case you’re wondering,” Draco leaned in conspiratorially to whisper, “Astoria made me invite everyone. She said we needed to move on from the past and act like adults, and that our kids were going to be in the same class, and that if I didn’t invite especially you, Harry, then I would sleep on the couch for a month.” He grimaced as he looked from Ron to Harry, and Harry couldn’t keep his mouth from falling open a bit.

“I wonder,” Harry muttered, and Ron and Draco stepped a bit closer, closed off their little triangle to the rest of the room; Harry set Lily down so she could get a cookie. “I wonder if our wives…”

“If they talked to each other? Undoubtedly,” whispered Ron, patting Hugo’s head absently.

“But when?” Harry wondered aloud.

Draco frowned. “Did Ginny and Hermione give the same reasons to you?” he asked, motioning between them with a pointed finger.

Ron and Harry both nodded. “Come to think of it,” said Harry slowly, “Ginny did not seem all that surprised to get the invitation. No offense, Draco,” he added quickly, and Draco shrugged one shoulder. “None taken, Harry.”

Ron tapped his finger on his cheek, thinking hard. “Actually, neither did Hermione. She had already opened it when I got home, but she was too calm. You know she’s a terrible actor,” he said, and Harry nodded in confirmation.

Draco folded his arms across his chest. “I think we’ve been outwitted, gentlemen,” he said, “so you know the Muggle saying. ‘If you can’t beat them, join them,’” and he motioned to the gift table where Ginny, Astoria, and Hermione were standing and talking.

Harry caught Ginny’s eye. She raised an eyebrow at him, and he grinned. He looked back at Ron and Draco. “I guess we have been beat, haven’t we,” he sighed. “But let’s not join them quite yet.”

Ron, who had begun to nudge Hugo in front of him so they could cross the room, paused. “Why not, Harry?”

Harry’s grin widened. “Because,” he lowered his voice, “if our wives all had the same arguments for this party, I imagine they had similar methods of bribery.”

Ron’s face reddened, but stayed where he was. Draco cleared his throat quietly.

“If that is the case,” Harry continued, not looking at Ron, “then I think it would benefit us to stand here and talk together for a bit longer, don’t you?”

Draco smiled, a real, honest smile that Harry had never seen before. “Thinking like a Slytherin, Potter, I like it.”

Harry laughed. “Don’t let Astoria hear you calling me ‘Potter,’ Draco.”
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear