Search:

SIYE Time:10:49 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Glimpses
By morphin3

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: A series of one-shots featuring our favorite couple. I'll try to keep them in chronological order!
Hitcount: Story Total: 5300; Chapter Total: 1501





Author's Notes:
Domestic!Hinny with baby James Sirius




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


It feels as though Ginny had just drifted back to sleep when her son starts crying again. Harry grunts beside her, then pushes the covers aside, mumbling, “I’m on it” through a yawn. Ginny burrows deeper into the covers, then stops, realizing that if James is hungry, she will need to be at least somewhat out from under the blanket. Eyes shut, she waits, half-listening to Harry as he stumbles to James’ crib at the foot of their bed.

“Hey, little man, are you hungry already? Didn’t your mum just feed you, because I swear she was just up…” Harry trails off as he picks up the baby, and Ginny smiles to herself.

At the age of 16, she had thought that she knew what it was to be in love with Harry Potter. When they had reunited after Voldemort’s defeat, after Harry’s death-ish experience, Ginny had found new depths of love. Marrying him three years ago was the best decision Ginny ever made. In the last four months, however, since James was born, Ginny has fallen in love with Harry all over again. Watching Harry embrace fatherhood has been, perhaps, the best part of becoming a mother.

James has stopped crying and is now snuffling in that cute newborn way, and Ginny peeks open one eye to watch. James is tucked under Harry’s chin, and Harry is bouncing and swaying in a pattern that Ginny recognizes. James recognizes it too, and he lets out the tiniest sigh. Harry grins and kisses the top of James’ head.

Unfortunately, that seems to startle James, and he lets out a loud wail. Ginny sighs and pulls Harry’s pillow on top of her head, and Harry groans a bit and bounces a bit more exuberantly.

“Oi, Dad, I’m too cool for kisses, leave me alone.” Despite trying to fall back asleep, Ginny snorts. Harry is using what he calls his Baby Whisperer voice.

It started during her pregnancy, right as she began to show. Harry would talk to Ginny’s stomach and tell the baby about all the things they would see or do together, then he would reply to himself using this voice. The baby’s “answers” were usually quite cheeky, and Ginny had rolled her eyes every time.

Harry stops talking and begins “shush”-ing in rhythm with his sways, and gradually James quiets again.

Ginny begins to doze again, and in just a few minutes Harry climbs into bed next to her. He grabs his pillow off her face and pulls her close, and Ginny turns and wraps an arm around him, pushing her face into his chest.

“Thank you for taking such good care of our baby,” Ginny mumbles sleepily against Harry’s shirt. Harry says nothing, just kisses the top of Ginny’s head and squeezes her a bit tighter.

**************************** **************************************** **************************************** *********

In the morning, Ginny wakes to an empty bedroom and the smells of bacon. Bless Harry, she thinks, getting out of bed and wrapping her dressing gown around her.

As she heads downstairs, the sound of James shrieking with laughter reaches her, and Ginny grins as she walks into the kitchen. Harry is standing with his back to her, waving his wand so that the bacon dances out of the frying pan and onto the nearby serving plate.

“Breakfast and a show, hmm?” At Ginny’s voice, Harry spins around, but the bacon, she is impressed to note, continues dancing its way to the plate.

“Morning, love. Did we wake you?” Harry moves to embrace her with his wand-free arm, and Ginny stands on tiptoe to kiss his cheek. He turns and catches her mouth, and Ginny smiles. Harry has never been one for half greetings, and she wraps her arms around his neck and leans into him. Harry sets his wand down and grips her waist, and only after James squawks does he pull away slightly.

Ginny grins at Harry, who looks slightly dazed. “Thanks for letting me have a lie-in, love,” Ginny whispers, and Harry blinks at her.

“I’ll let you have a lie-in every morning if it means a greeting like that,” he smirks, and Ginny lifts one arm to smack his shoulder.

“Oi, you get plenty of attention no matter what time I wake up, and you know it,” she retorts, stepping away from him. “Are you fixing anything besides bacon, or shall I make something?”

“I’ve got toast warming in the tray, pancake batter already mixed, scones baking in the oven, and one of your mum’s breakfast casseroles ready to be heated whenever you want it. Is that enough for you?” Harry grins smugly at Ginny’s shocked face.

“You… all that… Harry…” For the first time in a long time, Ginny is rendered speechless, and Harry’s smile grows wider.

It’s not as if Harry has never made such gestures before; on the contrary, since before they were even engaged, Harry has delighted in surprising Ginny with various treats, spontaneous dates, and even a quick getaway to Bath when both Harry’s Auror training and Ginny’s Harpies schedules had miraculously aligned. Sometimes Harry reminded her of a special day worth honoring, like the anniversary of their first date or when Ginny was signed with the Harpies or when Harry graduated to full-fledged Auror.

Since James has been born, their relationship has been full not of romantic dates or flashy presents, but of soft touches and warm gazes. Harry has given Ginny the gift of sleep many times since James was past six weeks old, and Ginny has tried her best to express her gratitude and appreciation and love to Harry, through both words and touches. Now, since she cannot speak quite yet, she just reaches for Harry’s arm and grips it firmly.

“Glad you’re hungry, at least,” Harry says with a smile.

Ginny regains her capacity for speech and manages, “I don’t deserve you, I really don’t.” She turns to him and places her hands on his shoulders, but before she can move to kiss him again, James shrieks. Both Harry and Ginny turn towards him at once, expecting the worst, but James clearly just wants his parents’ attentions, and he waves his arms excitedly when he sees them watching.

Ginny drops her arms from Harry’s shoulders and steps away from him so she can pick up James. “Are you feeling neglected, little man? Do you need Mum and Dad’s attention every moment?!”

“Yes, Mum,” Harry responds in his Baby Whisperer voice, “I need your undivided attention every moment of every day. Don’t even think about kissing Dad when I’m in the room.” James laughs at Harry’s silly voice, and Ginny laughs as well. She turns her head to see Harry smiling at her, a look of pure adoration on his face.

Ginny spins James around and moves closer to Harry, who immediately wraps his arms around her and James. Ginny snuggles deeper into Harry’s embraces, shifting James to one arm so she can wrap the other around Harry’s waist. “I love our family,” Ginny says softly, and she feels Harry press a kiss to the side of her forehead.

“Me too,” Harry replies, his lips still close to her ear.

******************************** **************************************** **************************************** *****

Their bedside clock reads 3:34am when James starts crying again. He must be teething, Ginny thinks, because this is the seventeenth time he has woken up since 8pm. She sighs and moves to get out of bed.

An odor reaches her before she reaches the crib, and Ginny wrinkles her nose. What did we feed him? Whatever it is, it is not agreeing with him. She grabs a clean nappy and picks up her son. “Hey, little man, has your tummy been hurting you? Or are you just stinking up the place to be a stinker?”

James’ cries get quieter but don’t stop, and Ginny picks up some diaper ointment before setting James down on the changing table. “Wow, son, you are ripe,” Ginny tells James, who stops crying as soon as Ginny unsnaps his onesie. His chubby thighs kick half-heartedly at Ginny’s hands as she pries off his jammies.

Ginny breathes through her mouth as she opens the full-to-bursting dirty diaper. Delicately, she begins to wipe. “Merlin, James, are you trying to murder us with your poo?”

“Oh, Mum, you know that I’m committed to making your life a living hell, so here’s my fifth poopy diaper of the night.”

Ginny jumps and whips her head over her shoulder; Harry is sitting up in bed, smirking at her.

“Did I wake you?” Even though everyone is awake, Ginny still keeps her voice at a whisper.

“Nah, I hadn’t fallen asleep from his last diaper.” Harry’s voice is low and gravelly, and Ginny shivers, appreciating how attractive Harry is, even in the middle of a sleepless night. He notices her staring, and winks at her. “Finish that diaper, love, and come back to bed.”

Ginny winks back at him. “Working on it, Potter, but someone’s son is quite messy.” Harry groans, leaning forward to see over the edge of the bed. “Yikes. He knows how to fill a diaper, doesn’t he?”

Ginny continues wiping James’ bum and begins to fasten on the clean nappy. “He does seem particularly talented in this area, yes.”

The nappy is fastened and Ginny directs James’ legs back into his jammies. Harry watches her silently, and adjusts the covers as Ginny places James back in the crib. She strokes his soft cheek, his eyes already drifting closed. “Goodnight, my love. Please stay asleep for a couple hours this time.”

Harry grins at her. “Think he’ll cooperate?”

Ginny climbs into bed and wraps her arm around Harry’s waist. “We’ll see. Let’s sleep while we can, eh?”

Harry slides his arm over her hip and up her back. “Love you, Gin.”

Eyes closed, snuggled close to Harry’s chest, Giny whispers back, “Love you, too.”
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear