Search:

SIYE Time:12:53 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Driving Miss Weasley
By BigFatMaybe

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Extreme Language, Violence, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 43
Summary: It should have been a simple task. Escort Ginny Weasley to her Quidditch match. But it all changes when Harry Potter rents the wrong car. What started out as a simple road trip between two friends and past lovers quickly turns into a hellish game of cat and mouse, and Harry and Ginny find themselves running away from a mysterious and deadly group of mercenaries, through a Scotland plagued by a mysterious infestation of Dark creatures.
Hitcount: Story Total: 14639; Chapter Total: 2071
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Have another one, bois. If you're wondering about chapter length: this is the shortest one, the ones after this are much longer




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Savage slammed the door shut after him and got up from his place at the door frame.

“Callum, listen to me,” Harry began as the Auror approached him. “The guy is completely bonkers, you don’t have to do this. Come on, untie me, and we can all just go home.”

Savage didn’t react. Instead, he fished a handkerchief out of his pocket, balled it up and then rammed it into Harry’s mouth.

“Much better,” he said. Harry made muffled sounds, but he couldn’t speak anymore. “You know, I’m sure you’re getting sick of all these monologues, but I’m afraid you’ll have to bear with me for a little longer. Cos I want you to understand why I’m doing this before I kill you.”

He turned away from Harry and started inspecting the tools that lay around in the shed. Ginny drew her wand. “It’s really quite simple, you know. The pay’s good. That’s all. Took me long enough to prepare this whole heist, and it certainly isn’t without danger, isn’t that right lads?” The other three murmured their agreement. “But bloody hell, Harry, we’re all getting loaded off this. That Bruce Skinner bloke hands out dollars like candy.” He picked up a hammer, turned around and measured it against Harry’s head. Ginny was reluctant to fire off a spell, with the other three men around.

Savage put the hammer down again and began rummaging around the work table. “And it all went swimmingly, all until you decided to rent the exact same car we had prepared for this. And I wondered, right, was it pure coincidence, or did you know about this part-time project of mine beforehand?” He paused, then spun around and backhanded Harry’s cheek. “Answer me! Just nod or shake your head, mate, did you know about me?”

Harry paused, and then he slowly shook his head.

“Are you absolutely sure?”

Harry nodded.

Savage veered up and turned back to the work table. “That’s good. That’ll make things a lot easier. See, this is nothing personal. Alright, it feels good to finally show you up, but I’m not a serial killer. I don’t kill just for the sake of it.” He took a battered saw off its hook against the wall and held it against Harry’s neck. Ginny had a spell on her lips, but then he seemed to change his mind and he hung the thing back up. “No, Harry, I only kill when I need to. Like the director of the naval base we’re going to storm. I didn’t burn him alive in his car because I enjoyed it. No, I did it because I needed him completely out of the picture until we’re done here. And it’s the same with you, Harry,” he said. He kneeled down and stroked the pointy tip of a ground drill that was leaned against one of the wooden pillars. “I don’t really want to kill you, per se. You’re a good boss, you’ve set the department up excellently, and you’re a damn good copper in general.”

Ginny noticed he never used any magical terms. She was sure now that the other mercenaries were Muggles. But their weapons still looked deadly. Could she risk fighting them? She heard the flying machine start up on the other side of the farm.

“But, if I let you live, you’ll just blab your little story to everyone, and I’ll end up in prison. No, don’t deny it. You’re too righteous not to do it. I did wonder if simply erasing your memory wouldn’t be enough, but there’s still the matter of your girlfriend. Plus, Harry Potter suddenly developing amnesia is far too suspicious, and you might get your memory back later. It’s far too risky. No, I think dumping your mutilated body parts somewhere prominent and planting a dark mark near it should be good enough. Is somebody filming this?” He asked the others.

“Hang on, let me grab my phone,” one of them said. He shouldered his rifle and took a small, strange-looking tablet out of his pocket that looked nothing like the phones Ginny knew. He held it in front of his face, pointed it at Harry and then pressed it. The rumbling sound of the helly copter became louder. Maybe the others inside the farm wouldn’t hear it if they started fighting…

“Good, thanks. Now, as I was saying, I’m sorry Harry. I tried, but I don’t see a way to keep you alive without risking my own life,” Savage said. He grabbed a large pair of rusty pincers and tested them before walking over to Harry again. “Remember, this has nothing to do with you. It’s just a solution to my problem, nothing more.” He stroked the fingers of Harry’s tied hands. Ginny heard his breath quicken.

Savage paused again. “Alright, I’ll make it a bit easier for you. Tell you what, when I find that Harpy of yours, I’ll make it quick. No toying around with her before I kill her, okay?” A chill ran down Ginny’s spine. Savage grabbed Harry’s hand and inspected it closely. He pulled the pincers open and placed Harry’s pinkie in it. Ginny heard his rasping breath and saw beads of sweat roll down his forehead.

“Now, enough chatter,” Savage growled. “Let’s start with the bits that stick out, shall we? This might hurt a little, so just bite down on that handkerchief. Trust me, it’ll make it easier. One… Two…”

“Stupefy!”

Savage reacted quickly, and he ducked underneath the red beam. He whipped his head around toward her with a murderous gleam in his eyes.

“What the fuck was that?” one of the mercenaries shouted.

“It’s the girl,” Savage said, dodging another stunner. “There, behind the work table!”

“I don’t see anything, Callum!” the mercenary said.

“Who the fuck cares, just shoot the cunt!”

And then the gunfire began. The roar of the guns and the barrage of bullets were deafening and Ginny covered her ears as the work bench she hid behind was torn to shreds by the salvo.
Then there was a pause. Ginny’s head throbbed and her ears buzzed. Sawdust and splinters covered her pyjamas. She threw a spell over the table without looking, and heard a cry of pain, followed by the sound of someone falling over.

“What are those lights?” a panicky voice cried.

“Keep shooting,” Savage said.

Before Ginny could cast another spell, the shooting started anew. Ginny heard bullets, nails and other things fizz past her head and she curled up under the cloak. When the shooting stopped again, she opened her eyes. A man peeked behind the table to her right, and she reacted immediately. The man fell to the floor, gasping and clutching his face. She sent a stunner his way just to be sure. Emboldened, she glanced above the table, and a well-aimed spell slammed the last mercenary into the wall at the far end. He didn’t get up.

“Stop!” Savage called. “You will get up, drop your wand and stop hiding under that cloak, unless you want to see Potter killed.”

Ginny hesitated, peeked over the table once again and saw Savage standing over Harry, with a gun against his temple.

“I won’t ask again.”

Coming to a decision, she ducked back down, shoved the cloak in her pocket, and slowly stood up.

“Good girl,” he said. “Where’s your wand?”

“Where’s yours?” she countered.

“A, a, no sass, or your boyfriend gets it,” he said. “But I guess you’re right. You’ve knocked out all my colleagues, so I won’t be needing this anymore.” He tossed the gun aside and replaced it with his wand. “Now, your wand. Slowly. Do anything funny, I’ll spray his brains all over the wall.”

She met Harry’s eyes, but his expression was unreadable. Or did she see a faint shake of his head?

“Well?” Savage pressed.

“Alright,” she said. She held up her right hand, her wand lying in her opened palm.

“Excellent. Now, first of all…” He waved his wand at her, and she felt something pass over her, not unlike the feeling of a Disillusionment Charm. “There. No Apparating for the both of you. And now… Acc-

CRACK! The bindings tying Harry to his chair all snapped at the same time and he threw himself at his captor before he could complete the spell. The two fell to the floor and rolled around in a bitter struggle.

Ginny aimed her wand at the fighting couple, but she couldn’t fire off a spell without hitting Harry.

Avada– oof!”

Harry cut the spell short by kicking Savage in the gut and twisting his wand arm away from him.

“You’ll pay for that, Potter!” Savage screamed. He headbutted Harry, freed his arm, and banished Harry away from him, straight toward Ginny. She dodged him just in time, and he smacked against the wall next to her.

“Hi,” he croaked, before ducking away from the green light of a Killing Curse.

“Do you have your wand?” she asked, pulling him under cover of the table.

“Savage has it, I couldn’t grab it,” he replied.

“Come out!” Savage shouted, and the work table was rocked by a blasting curse. “Come on! I wanna see you when I squeeze the life from you!”

“This table isn’t going to last,” Harry said. “Ginny, I need you to distract him while I go get my wand.” Another blasting curse. “Now!” And then he crawled away from her, to the other end of the table. Ginny chanced another look, but Savage had been expecting that, and she had to duck away from his spell immediately. It singed her shoulder, and a putrid smell of burning entered her nose. The curse had blasted a large hole in the wall the spell behind her.

“I can keep this up forever, you know,” he jeered. “But it looks like the table won’t. Come on out already, I’ll make it quick!” He blocked the stunner Ginny sent towards him with a casual flick of his wand.

Harry signalled to her imploringly from his side of the work table. She racked her brain, and then tried something different. First she banished a hammer towards him, and immediately after that she cast an Incendio, not at him, but at the floor in front of him. The flames caught immediately.

Savage conjured water to douse the flames, but the old wood was dry and her spell too powerful, and the fire spread too quickly. Smoke and vapour billowed up from where the water touched the fire, and Savage jumped back from the rising heat. Harry noticed his distraction and jumped over the table. Savage looked up at the last moment to see his colleague crash into him, and the two stumbled backward, away from the flames.

“You. Will. Never. Hurt. Her. Again,” Harry growled, pushing the man on the floor and punching him as many times as he could wherever his fists could reach. Savage kicked his knee, slapped another fist away and grabbed a fistful of Harry’s hair, tearing his head away from him.

“I’ve got you now,” he growled. Ginny saw the fire reflecting the insanity in his eyes. He grabbed Harry’s fist in his other hand and pushed him off and onto the ground.

“Look at you now. The Boy Who Lived.” He smacked Harry’s head against the floor. “The One Who Defied Death.” And again. “The Saviour of the Wizarding World.” And again. Ginny tried to approach them, but the fire had spread all across the shed now, and her side was completely separated by a wall of flames.

Savage pushed Harry closer to the fire. "Everyone has to die, Harry. Even you. And this is your final act, my friend.” Ginny heard her friend scream in pain as he was shoved closer and closer to the inferno. It was now or never.

“Expelliarmus!” she screamed. Her spell narrowly missed Harry, but it did hit Savage, and the man was knocked back, yet his wand remained firmly in his hand. Harry threw himself on top of the other man, yanked his wand out of his pocket and shakily jumped to his feet.

“Wingardium Leviosa!” he growled. Savage rose in the air, toward the chains that hung on the thick support beam. Harry grabbed them, and turned them three times around the neck of the floating Auror. Savage, his breath coming out in short, raspy sounds, tried to point his wand at Harry, but Ginny disarmed him before he could cast any spell.

“We’ve got to get out of here!” she shouted at him.

“Go! I’ll meet you outside!” Harry let go of Savage and sprinted out the door. For a moment Ginny stared at the man hanging in chains, and then she turned around and crawled out through the hole in the wall.

Once outside, she gratefully sank into the cold, wet grass. A fit of coughing overtook her, and she felt nauseous after having swallowed so much smoke. She coughed until her stomach ached, and when it was over, she laid flat on the ground, gratefully taking deep breaths of fresh air.

Lying there, she saw Harry shakily make his way towards her. His clothes were in disarray and had cuts in them, and he had a wound on his forehead that bled profusely. But he was alive, and through all his bruises he managed a smile at her. She twisted her mouth into what she hoped looked like a smile. Then she became aware of her fatigue. She’d only slept a few hours and had been following Harry all night. It was morning now, and behind Harry the sky had turned grey and orange. The sun peeked just over the hills on the other side of the valley.

He kneeled beside her. “Come on, you need to get up.” It took her a second to comprehend what he said. Groaning, she pushed herself to her knees. Harry helped her to her feet and pulled her into a hug. All the emotions of that night threatened to overwhelm her as she stood there in his arms, listening to his steady and reassuring heartbeat. But she bit her lip and kept it in for now.

“Are you okay?” He asked her, pulling back from their embrace.

“Yeah, he hardly even hit me. How about you?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“You’re bleeding,” she said, gently wiping the blood from around the cut on his forehead.

“You’re hurt as well,” he said, his eyes running over her body. “Let’s get away from this field first. Come on, the cars are parked on the other side. We can sit down there.”

“Shouldn’t we be worried about the other mercenaries?”

“I think they’re all gone. Otherwise they’d already be here, wouldn’t they?”

“Oh. Right.” She chanced a look behind her. The shed was completely wreathed in flames, and the roof on their side was partially collapsed. Inside, at the heart of the flames, she could still vaguely make out the shape of a man, hanging in chains, still jerking, feebly trying to free himself.

“We need to go, Ginny,” Harry said, slipping his arm around her shoulder and guiding her away from the scene, the sight of Savage struggling against the chains as the fire consumed him etched in her mind as they walked away.

-----

The heat of the burning shed grew less intense the further they distanced themselves from it, and by the time they rounded up the corner of one of the farm buildings, they were both shivering from the early morning cold. But, Harry thought, they could safely use magic again now that the mystery about Savage was solved.

“So, now that we know it was just Savage who attacked us,” he said to Ginny, “that means we can use magic again, right?”

“I guess so, yeah.”

“Good, ‘cause we’re going to catch a cold at this rate,” he said, and with that he pulled his wand from his pocket and cast a warming charm over the two of them. Ginny, still tucked under his arm, shot him a grateful smile.

They finally reached the clearing in front of the complex, and Harry was glad to be out of the long, wet grass. Their pyjamas and bare feet didn’t protect them from the cold at all.

“Well, our car is still there,” Harry commented. He patted Ginny’s shoulder and pulled his arm back. “Let’s get in and warm up a bit, alright?” Finding the car unlocked, he helped her into the passenger seat, closed the door and got in on the driver side himself.

“These idiots just left the key here,” he said, shaking his head. He pointed to a phone lying on the dashboard. “Even left their phone here. Rule number one if you want to be a villain: don’t get cocky.”

“I’ll remember that,” Ginny said softly. She still looked shaken up from what had happened, and Harry didn’t blame her. The sight of his colleague being burnt alive would probably haunt him for a long time.

“Your shoulder looks quite nasty,” he said. Ginny reached to feel the burn mark, and winced when her fingers touched it.

“I didn’t notice it until now,” she said. “One of Savage’s spells must’ve grazed me.”

“Do you want me to heal it? I’m not as good as a Healer, but I think I can at least make the pain go away.”

“Please.”

Harry lightly brushed his wand over her skin, and the angry red colour of the burn faded considerably.

“Thanks,” she whispered. “Do you want me to fix your head?”

“Don’t bother, it’s hopeless,” he joked as she fussed over the cut above his eyebrow. His throat ran dry from her proximity and gentle touch.

“Ginny?” he asked when she was done. She lowered her eyes from his forehead to meet his gaze, and he did his best not to get lost in those shining brown eyes. She had bruises on her face, rings under her eyes, her hair was windswept and tousled and her pyjamas were filthy and torn. She looked more beautiful than ever.

He swallowed. “I… you were brilliant tonight. Honestly. I don’t know how you found me, but we both know what would’ve happened if you hadn’t. You fought against three armed men and a fully qualified Auror just to save me, and you actually beat them. You were incredible.”

A slight blush blossomed on her cheeks. Whatever else Harry had prepared to say to her left his mind as soon as he saw that blazing look in her eyes.

“Harry…”

“It’s okay, Ginny.”

“No, it’s not. When I… when I saw you being taken away to here, I just… all I could think about was that we’re finally talking to each other again after all these years, and still the last thing we did was argue with each other. You nearly died tonight, and the last thing I said to you was that I didn’t have time for you because of some stupid Quidditch game.” She sighed.

“Shh,” he pressed his finger to her lips before she could continue. He wanted to say a million things. He wanted to say thank you, and sorry. He wanted to ask her how her shoulder felt, he wanted to say to her how much he had missed her all those years, how often he laid in bed at night next to another woman, thinking about her, how often he caught himself daydreaming about her hair, her lips, her warmth. But he had no words for that. He lowered his finger and inched closer to her. She closed her eyes and leaned in as well. Their heads tilted slightly. Harry felt her warm breath on his skin as they leaned closer and closer…

And then the cell phone rang. Harry cracked open his eyes. Ginny did the same, and for a moment they could only stare at each other. Then the phone buzzed and rang again, and Harry leaned back in his seat, breathing out slowly to settle his racing heart. He picked up the phone and looked at the screen to see who was calling.

“It’s that bloke Skinner,” he said. “Let’s see…” He only knew so much about mobile phones, but he’d seen how Hermione used one before. He slid his finger across the screen to pick up and pressed the button to put it on loud.

“Callum?” a muffled voice rang through the phone. “Callum, for God’s sake are you there?” Harry shared a glance with Ginny, unsure about what to say or do. “Where is that damn Brit,” Skinner said. “Callum!”

“Mr Skinner?” Harry finally said. It was silent on the other side.

“Who is this?” he finally asked. The anger was audible, even through the phone.

“This is Harry Potter. I’m afraid your friend Callum and your other thugs didn’t make it. We’re in your precious car right now, but seeing as we rented it in the first place, I think we’re going to hang on to it for now,” Harry said, sharing a smile with Ginny. “I reckon that might bother you a bit with your plan to take over the world, and we’re terribly sorry for that. Anyway, I’ve got to hang up now. Goodbye!”

Harry waited a few seconds, but there was no reply from the other side anymore, so Harry hung up and put the phone down on the dashboard.

“So…” Ginny said beside him.

“I reckon we’ve got to go now,” he said. “That man has a helicopter, he could be here soon.”

“Right. Shouldn’t we just Apparate away and contact the Aurors?”

“I don’t think we can. Savage cast an Anti-Apparition Charm over the both of us. Plus, I don’t want to just leave this car here. From what I overheard on the way here, it’s important for their plans, and the harder we make it for them, the better.”

“But can we at least send a Patronus to the Aurors? We now know it’s just Savage who’s gone mad, after all.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea,” Harry said. He took out his wand again and sent his Patronus away toward the Auror office in London. “There. It’s about seven thirty now, so it’s probably still the night shifters in the office. Ron is definitely still in bed. If all goes well, they’ll arrive here in a minute or ten.”

“I thought we were leaving?”

“We are. But we can always send another Patronus later on if we see Skinner.” He paused and then turned to her. “Look, about what just happened… I–”

“Didn’t you just tell me we needed to leave?” she said, the corner of her lips quirking upward. “But Potter? Once this whole thing is finished, you and I need to talk.”

“Definitely,” Harry said. He sighed and started the car.

“So where are we going now?”

“North,” he said.

“Why north?”

“Well, our tent is there, for starters.”

“And…?”

“North feels good.”

“Good?”

He nodded, but didn’t react to the dubious look she gave him.
Reviews 43
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear