Search:

SIYE Time:15:15 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Finding
By st122

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 8
Summary: Torn apart seventeen years ago. Follow Albus on a short journey of discovery.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3662



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is a one-shot. My mind got stuck on this. It could be a much longer story, but I'm already trying to finish two long H/G stories and a WoT fic. See my AN at the end. I think this story works well as is. I hope you agree.




ChapterPrinter


A young black haired man walked alone through the countryside. His father was away on business and would be back tonight, but that was nothing new. The solitary man kicked at a stone angrily. It was usual for him to be like this during the month of August. All he wanted was to go to Hogwarts, but he had never been allowed. This year would probably be no different.

Trying his best to not become depressed, he kept walking until the sun began to set. Only then did he turn around to go back home. His father should be there by now. The house came into view. The familiar small building with its candle lit windows. Old oak trees were dotted around the garden, a sign of the place’s true age.

Shivering against the evening cold, he was glad for the warmth which enveloped him upon entering the house.

“You’re home,” the familiar voice of his father called out. The young man relaxed, his father disliked being away as much as he hated him going.

“Lost track of time,” the young man replied as he entered the living room. “You know, while I was out walking.” He shrugged. His father, with hair as black as his own, stood. He looked worried, but also relieved. “It was a nice afternoon.”

“You want to talk about it, Albus?” his father asked.

He did not really know what he felt. “I’ve just been thinking about Hogwarts. I would be a seventh year this year, father, and it’s my last chance of ever being part of what you had.”

His father sat back down and stared into the flames. “We’ve been making good inroads against the Death Eaters.”

Albus nodded, not fully understanding his father, and went to sit beside him. All the years of growing up alone together had formed a strong bond between them. Albus hoped his father would elaborate, but as usual he stared up at the photograph hanging above the fireplace. More importantly at the two people moving about happily in it.

Even after all the years, the loss of Albus’ mother tore at his father. He did not speak about her, not even a name. It was strange and very unlike his father to hide so much. Of course he did hide most of what happened during the war, but those were dark memories. His mother should have been something they could talk about, but by now the topic had become too sensitive.

“Enough to allow me the chance of some freedom?” Albus asked hopefully. The mood in the room needed breaking as well. The words were spoken by his father each August and each time Albus would ask the same question. Maybe not exactly, but it boiled down to the same. Something about Death Eaters and something about going to Hogwarts.

This time his father let out a small laugh and he clapped Albus on the shoulder. Albus glanced at his father beside him. He was smiling. “I think it would be more than alright to let you go to school this year. Besides, you’re not a child anymore. You’re seventeen and capable of caring for yourself.”

“What?” Albus said in shock. “You’re joking right?”

His father grinned, allowing a small brief look into the more mischievous side of him. “I talked to Headmaster McGonagall and she has already enrolled you for the coming year.”

Instead of jumping up and shouting for joy, Albus just let out a long breath and leaned back. It was happening; he would be going to school like a normal boy, even if it were only for a year.

//**//

I walked towards the train, alone in the maelstrom that was my family. Cousins shouted and pushed each other about. A pair of girls from Bill and Fleur, a son and daughter of Ron and Hermione, twin boys from George and Angelina, finally Percy’s three boys were running around somewhere.

My shoulder length red hair bounced about as I listened to them. I had no siblings of my own and I lived, together with my mother, with my grandmother and grandfather. Arthur and Molly had said farewell and even now stood waving their large family good-bye. I wished my mother could here, but she’d only made the trip once. I understood. The trip was difficult for her.

At least some things were different this year. I had my OWLs behind me and a nice shining pin on my robes proclaiming me captain of my house team. My mother seemed to be proud, but she could not understand.

My eyes stung. Sometimes I wished she remembered more. It was something I could do little about and so I roughly pushed the thoughts aside. I’d shed enough tears over her.

Moving along the corridor I tried to find a compartment that was silent. When I did, I opened the door and stepped inside hopping for peace and quiet away from my family.

“Oh, sorry,” I whispered. The man sitting there made me wish I knew more about my mother and who my father was. I decided to join him even before he opened his mouth.

//**//

A week later, Albus found himself sitting alone in one of the compartments on the train that would be taking him to Hogwarts. The dream of so many years was finally coming true. Ever since his father had told him he could go there had been a sense of doubt, but now here he sat. It was amazing.

“Oh, sorry,” a voice said from the door. The sound pulled his thoughts away from the journey to the train station. “I didn’t realise someone was sitting here already.”

Albus looked up into a pair of brown eyes and long red hair. Her freckled face was open and friendly, if somewhat lonesome, in a way she reminded him very much of his mother. In that brief moment, he wished that he knew more about his mother. His father never talked about her and Albus could only ever see the love and the pain the feeling caused.

“I’m not expecting any friends,” Albus said. “In fact I’m new to the school.”

Her face brightened. “Oh,” she said. “Well in that case you’ll be needing a guide.”

She promptly sat down across from him. “I’m Lily Weasley.”

“Albus Potter,” he replied. Her eyes widened for a fraction of a second, but she concealed it well. “So,” he said slowly. “How is it at Hogwarts? My father and mother went to the school there.”

“It’s great, Quidditch is the best of course.” Albus glanced at the pin on her shirt. It was the same as his father’s.

“Gryffindor Quidditch Captain,” he said softly and her eyes sparkled.

“How’d you know?” she asked in surprise, but it was hard for her to hide her pride.

“My father has the exact same one.” Albus said with some pride.

“Of course, he was the youngest Seeker in a hundred years. Did you get some of his talent?”

Albus shrugged. “I might’ve, but I’ve never really flown against other people.”

Her expression grew slightly more sombre and she placed a caring hand on his. “Well you can always join me for a few flights. And we will be needing a new Seeker this year.”

“Really?” Albus said with sudden eagerness.

She nodded and her smile lit up the entire compartment. Again his mind wandered back to the photo above the mantle. What was it about this girl that felt so familiar?

“Albus.” A finger snapped before his face. “Albus, you alright.”

“Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about something.”

Her face looked up at him caringly. “I was worried. You looked so sombre… Sorry, I shouldn’t be saying things like that. I barely know you.”

He laughed, but it faded quickly as he stared out the window. “No, I’m just worried about my father. He will be all alone now that I’m gone.”

“I know,” Lily sighed. “My mother has to fend for herself with me gone. At least she has my grandmother to look after her.”

“You make it sound like she needs to be cared for,” Albus said without thinking.

Lily nodded, not seeming to be offended at all. “She was in an accident and she’s been having trouble since then. They say I was lucky to be born.”

“I’m glad you were,” Albus said with a smile. “Otherwise I’d be sitting alone.” He frowned slightly. “Don’t you have friends to be with? I mean people to sit with other than me?”

She leaned back. “They’ll do fine without me.”

The words barely left her mouth when a girl with similar red hair entered the compartment. “Lily,” she said angrily. The Head Girl’s badge on her robes stood out clearly. “We’ve been looking all over for you.”

“I’m sorry, Rose,” Lily said without looking at the girl. “I just started talking to Albus here.”

Rose’s gaze narrowed on Albus. “You must be the new kid. I’ve been looking all over for you as well. I’m the Head Girl, Rose Weasley.”

“Cousins?” Albus asked. “And yes, I’m Albus Potter.”

Her eyes widened for a second, apparently she had not been told who he would be, and there seemed to a strange brief moment of anger. “A pleasure to meet you, Albus.” Rose glanced at her cousin again and then disappeared.

“Rather a feisty one,” Albus laughed.

Lily snorted. “Like her mother. I dare you to take her books away.”

Albus barely heard Lily speak. His mind was on the sudden fierce look in Rose’s eyes. “Was it me or did she look angry at me?”

Lily blushed in embarrassment. “She told me once that her parents and your father were best friends at school, you know inseparable, and then one day he was just gone.”

“Oh,” Albus replied, slightly taken aback. “My father never liked talking about those years.”

Lily nodded. “I understand. The war and from the stories I’ve heard about what happened to him, I can understand.”

Albus’s head shot around to the girl. “What stories?”

Lily brushed her hair back, her cheeks red. “Well you know he killed Voldemort at the Battle of Hogwarts?” Albus nodded. “Well do you know he spent nearly that entire year with Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron in a tent finding Horcruxes?”

Albus shook his head. “He taught me about Horcruxes and how evil they were, but never once did he say that he hunted them, or that he did so with other people.” He glanced away. “I think those memories are too painful for him.”

She took hold of his hand again. “Well, maybe I can tell you some things then. If you want?”

“That would be great,” Albus croaked out. “I’d love to know all the stories “

She smiled happily again. “So what would you like to know about your infamous father?”

Albus snorted. “Infamous, really? Well what about the beginning.”

“Let’s see. Uncle Ron, Rose’s father, met Harry on this very ride to Hogwarts. Well actually my whole family did, but Ron rode in a compartment with him and they became inseparable right up until the battle ended. Then your father vanished and never talked to my family again.”

“I never realised my father had friends. But I should’ve know, really. He is always going on about how wonderful his time at Hogwart’s was.” Albus glanced away. “He met my mother there.” He fell silent. “I’m sorry. I’m getting all emotional.”

“So do you play Seeker?” Lily asked changing the topic.

He smiled gratefully. “I’m pretty good with a Quaffle, but I have a passion for seeking like my dad.”

As they talked a girl walked by the window, the side of her face was hidden by the most beautiful wavy hair he’d ever seen. She paused for a brief moment and he felt lost in her sad blue eyes. Then she glided passed the compartment. Albus lost track of what Lily was saying. Even though he talked for the remainder of the train ride, he never really got back into the conversation with Lily.

//**//

“Emily Hawthorne!” my father shouted from downstairs. I gripped my wand tightly in my hand, but it would be of no use. I was sixteen and still two months shy of my birthday in October.

“I’m coming,” I replied. “Just finishing my last bag.” I grimaced, he hated being held up by little old me.

Loud footfalls came up the stairs. They sounded rushed, my bedroom door crashed open and I spun round to see his angry eyes staring down at me. “I’m finished,” I said quickly. Half my clothes lay unpacked on my bed, but I’d gotten used to going to school with barely anything to wear.

“Liar,” he stepped forward and the back of his hand connected with the side of my face. I collapsed to the floor. “Pick yourself and that bag up and get to the car.”

I could not cry. I would not let him feel the satisfaction of knowing that he’d hurt me. With as much dignity as I could muster, I gathered my things and hurried to the car. My hair would be doing some hiding until the bruising lessoned.

//**//

The first few weeks passed in a blur. He’d been sorted into Gryffindor, but even so he had little time to himself and even less so to see Lily. At least he managed to make the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

It gave the extra bonus of being able to talk to Lily as well as getting a few words in with the girl he’d seen on the train, Emily Hawthorne. She happened to be an amazing Chaser, but she did distance herself from other people. He had, however, managed to form a comfortable friendship with Emily, she was someone he could talk to easily. Lily, on the other hand, was becoming more and more like an adorable younger sibling. He liked her, but she did come to embarrass him much too often.

The greatest enigma was Rose Weasley. When she was not busy sending angry glares in his direction she made as if he did not exist. Albus didn’t mind, not really, but he did want to have a talk with her at some point. It was unnerving to have someone walk around with so much hate.

Of course Emily was the girl he wanted to see the most and she ended up being the one he saw the least. Emily, a Muggleborn Witch, had him wrapped around her finger and she didn’t even know it.

Lunch had finished early and Albus quickly said goodbye to Lily. He would have to hurry to catch up with Emily, who had shouldered her back and disappeared out the hall. Lily mumbled something as he hurried away from the Gryffindor table.

“Hi, Emily,” Albus called out as he hurried along the corridor. She stopped and turned to face him.

“Albus,” she said with surprising cheerfulness. She glanced down the corridor towards their next class. “As much as I like talking, we better hurry or we’ll be late.”

He ran his hand through already ruffled hair. If he was going to say anything, then it better be now. “I was… you know, um… it’s Hogsmeade weekend next week and I was hoping that you would like to go with me?”

“Finally,” she breathed out. “I thought you’d never ask.” Her smile widened and her red hair really emphasised her breathtaking face.

“Really, I mean you…”

She laughed, cutting of his mumblings. “I’ve been waiting for you to ask me, Albus. I wanted to talk on the train, but you were with Lily and you know I thought. And I was...” Her eyes darkened for a brief moment. Then she forced a smile. “Just ignore me. I’m almost free.”

He chuckled unsure of what to make of her rambling. “Sorry. It’s just, well you’re beautiful and me…”

She stood on tip toes and kissed him lightly on the cheek. “Are adorable and very handsome.” He let his hand drop down his side and took hold of hers. She flinched briefly, but then her body slowly began to settle down beside him.

“We better hurry, Mr Potter, or we’ll loose all those points you’ll be winning for us in the Quidditch Cup.”

“We’ll be winning, Miss Hawthorne.” She beamed back up at him.

By the time they reached the class it felt remarkably comfortable and natural to have her beside him. They entered the room still holding hands. Rose scowled annoyingly and Albus winced as he sat down alongside Emily. “Do you know why Rose hates me so much?” he asked her.

“I have no idea,” Emily replied. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She was much prettier now than when she hid her face at the start of the school year. “I heard something happened between her parents and your father.” She shrugged helplessly. “Sorry, wish I could help, but Rose is rather obnoxious and keeps to herself mostly.”

“Never mind.” He squeezed her hand gently. “How did we get here so quickly?”

She pressed her shoulder against his. “I don’t know, but I think I might enjoy it here.” He faced Emily. Despite her talents on the Quidditch pitch and her high marks in school, she still tried to disappear from view.

He smiled in the hope of bringing her out whatever shell she hid herself in. “Remind me to thank my dad for allowing me to come to school this year.”

She opened her mouth to reply, but the entire sixth year class piled into the Defence classroom. All the seventh years glanced about in confusion.

Rose stood and glared at the flood of younger students. “What are you doing here? This is a seventh year Defence class.”

Lily, the only person brave enough to talk back to her cousin, crossed her arms angrily and replied. “We were told to come here for a special class, Rose.”


Albus leaned closer to Emily. “Those Weasley’s sure know how to get angry.” Emily bit back a laugh.

Lily walked further into the room and saw Albus sitting next to Emily. Naturally, she came over. No doubt with some grand scheme of embarrassment for Albus. “Finally!” she said excitedly. “I’ve been waiting for you two to snap out of whatever stupid trance you’ve been in.”

Emily stiffened slightly next to Albus. Her hand reached out and took his as if to emphasise that he had chosen her. He patted her hand soothingly. “So how are things going between you and Michael?” He said this mainly for Emily’s benefit.

Lily grinned, her wand spinning round her fingers. “Oh, the fool might just wake up this week and ask me out. I wish the prat could hurry up, however.”

Beside him, Emily relaxed slightly. Lily spun and walked away towards a guy on the opposite end of the room. She flirted a bit while they waited.

Albus rubbed his thumb over the back of Emily’s freckled hand. “You don’t have to worry about Lily. We’re just good friends.” He shivered. “Besides when I look at her I think only of my mother.”

Emily let out a relieved strangled laugh. “That’s just weird, Albus.”

He groaned in agreement. “Tell that to my mind.”

Before he could say anymore, the classroom door opened and their Professor strode in. The surprise walked a stride behind, Albus’ father.

“Is that?”

“My father,” Albus moaned while trying to hide.

“I never realised he looked so much like you,” Emily said in surprise. “But you’re much better looking.”

“Afternoon, class,” their professor spoke. “I’d like to introduce Harry Potter and he’ll be talking about his experiences during the war.”

“He looks so uncomfortable,” Emily whispered. “Is he alright?”

“He hates being the centre of attention.” He whispered. “Comes from being abused by his Muggle relatives as a child.” Emily’s grip tightened round his hand. He nearly cursed in surprise. Her knuckles were white from the force she exerted on his hand.

Harry began to speak, but Albus was too busy trying to get Emily to calm down. Eventually she did. His father spent the entire class talking about various technical aspects of killing Voldemort. He never once mentioned his own sacrifices or those of others. It was purely academic, but interesting nevertheless.

Rose was fuming ahead of him, but Lily seemed to be taking things more calmly. She smiled and took notes. Albus found himself studying the two cousins more than listening to his father.

The class began to clap and cheer when his father finished. Lily was enthusiastic like the rest, while Rose continued to glare at his father.

Albus was in a stupor for the next few hours. “What is bothering you Albus?” Emily finally asked during dinner.

He looked up into her concerned blue eyes. “I’m confused about my father and his past.” He admitted. “Rose hates my father, but her younger cousin Lily seems to accept him like any other student. I’m just wondering why.”

Emily took a bite and chewed slowly in thought. “Maybe it’s just something about your father and Rose’s parents. Perhaps Lily’s mother never really cared that much about him.”

“Perhaps,” Albus shrugged. “I’m sorry, Emily. I should be happy about you and me, but I can’t stand her looking at me and my father with so much hate.”

She smiled. “Perhaps you can ask your father about it over the holidays.”

//**//

It was a perfect winter’s day. The sun shone and the wind had settled down. Albus and I decided to go for a walk on one of the winding paths of Hogwarts grounds. He had not been on many of them. Since most of his weekend days had been spent studying or practising Quidditch.

The rest of the semester had passed quickly after Albus had asked her out. Gryffindor won their first two games against Slytherian and Hufflepuff, leaving only the final game later in the year against Ravenclaw to decide the champion. With all that behind them, Christmas break was just a week away.

Being with Albus was a constant battle, one he won daily, but it pushed me. I’d lost count on the number of occasions I’d flinched when he merely wanted to brush a stray hair away from my face. How many times had I gone stiff when he placed a hand around my waist?

He’d seen every reaction, sensed them sometimes more than seeing. I could tell that he was worried, but he never pushed me for answers. The question was in his eyes, in the way he made sure I was alright, in the slow movements of his arms to not surprise me. It was almost like his body knew my past, but his mind had yet to comprehend.

“Would you like to come over to stay with us for a week over Christmas?” Albus asked suddenly. I almost stumbled over a protruding rock.

The question should’ve been hard to answer. Instead the reply was the easiest one I’d ever made. I was no longer a child in Wizarding terms. “I’d like that very much, Albus.” He leaned down and kissed me.

“What are your plans for next year?” I asked a while later.

“Not sure. I could become an Auror, but I never really had the passion for it. I might sign up for Healing or I might just go out and try to see the world.”

“I’d love to travel, but I could never afford it,” I sighed. I never had any money of my own and my parents would rather milk me dry than spend any of their hard earned cash on my weirdness.

//**//

On the twenty third of December, Albus was sitting by a warm fire with Emily snuggled up against him. It was the most relaxed and comfortable he’d ever seen her. His father had left the room an hour ago when an Owl had begun to knock on one of the back windows.

“I hope it isn’t work,” Albus said as he stroked Emily’s long red hair. “The Department never leaves him alone even though he doesn’t work for them.”

“What does he do exactly?” Emily asked. “You’ve never really told me.”

“Not much to say really. He consults mostly and helps out when they need some expertise. He is rather knowledgeable on Death Eaters.”

She wiggled her body up close to him. It felt good to have her head resting against his chest. Emily made Christmas much more enjoyable. Though he did feel guilty about taking her away from her parents. “Are you sure your parents won’t miss you?”

“Of course they’ll miss me, Albus.” He got the feeling the words were a lie. “But my two sisters and their husbands will keep them busy enough. Besides it will make things easier.”

“How so?” Albus asked.

She sighed. “My family won’t have to try and hide my weirdness from any friends or family.”

He held her close and he felt a slight tremble. “You are happy at home, aren’t you?” She did not reply. “Emily, they are treating you well?” he asked a bit more loudly. He lifted her chin. Tears were leaking down her cheeks. “Emily,” he breathed out. “You could’ve told me.”

She sniffed. “And say what. My parents abuse me. They ignore me and hide me away during the holidays.”

He wrapped his arms around her and waited until her sobs subsided.

His father’s voice spoke. “My aunt and uncle did the same. They hit me and made me sleep in the cupboard beneath the stairs.”

Albus nodded slowly. It was one of the few things his father had ever discussed in detail. Perhaps he talked about it because it had nothing to do with the Magical world.

“They hit you, but you’re Harry Potter,” Emily said in sudden outrage.

He sat down on his seat and threw a note onto the table. Albus did not recognise the letter nor the handwriting. “They were Muggles and hated all things unnatural.”

“What does the letter say?” Albus asked hoping to break the mood.

“Letter?” Harry said. “Oh, yes.” He leaned towards the table and picked it up. His face was a mixture of emotions. “We’ve been invited to a Christmas lunch.”

“We’re never invited anywhere, well not official places in any case.”

His father sat in silence as he reread the letter. “It’s from an old friend, Albus.”

“Does it happen to be a Weasley?” Albus asked. “Because Rose, Hermione’s daughter has been glaring at me the entire semester.”

“It’s from, Hermione.” He laughed slightly. “Her hand is just as neat and orderly as always.” It looked like he was about to begin crying. “Excuse me. I… I need to go.”

An hour later, Albus found Emily, who still had puffy eyes, staring up at the picture above the fireplace. “You’re right you know,” she said finally.

“About what?”

“She does remind me of Lily.”

//**//

Lily had just run into the room to tell me that some guests had arrived. I heard their names, but they slipped out again almost as soon as my daughter had whispered them in excitement.

I cursed at my reflection. I was nothing more than a drain on my family and daughter. All because of something I could not remember. A pale scar ran along the side of my neck and another could be found under my hairline. Long hair had its uses at times.

With a grunt I lifted myself from the chair I sat in using my arms and the crutches beside me. They were Muggle items Hermione had bought for me. It made moving about much easier than using a wheel chair. Apparating proved too painful as there was no way for me to stabilise myself upon arriving at a new destination.

Standing now, I glanced into the mirror again. My pale skin was even whiter than usual. My brown eyes were as dim as they had been over the past sixteen odd years, all the photos of me showed them as bright and full of life. What happened to me all those years ago?

I hobbled to the window. Ron and Hermione were talking to a very familiar mop of black hair. My mind began to tingle.

“Harry James Potter!” my mother shouted.

“Mrs Weasley,” the black haired stranger said. I was surprised when my mother enveloped him in a motherly hug. I pushed my forehead against the ice cold window pane. My mind was tingling, I could sense it struggling, fighting hard to be released.

I reached out a hand and rested it on top of the form of the man below. He looked so uncomfortable and yet in love with the people around him.

“You’re as thin as ever.” I laughed at the old joke. My eyes widened. Harry James Potter had been here before. An image of a scrawny boy, ruffled black hair, with wide frightened eyes as they looked back at me. I was ten, and at the platform going to Hogwarts. In my excitement I fell back onto my bed.

“Mum?” Lily called out from the door. “You alright mother?”

“I’m fine, dear,” I replied. I turned to face my daughter, not Lily Weasleys, but Lily Potter. I smiled broadly. “Better than ever in fact.”

Lily seemed slightly hesitant. “That’s good, mum. But they’re downstairs. You really should come see them.”

“I’ll be there, dear.” Lily remained standing by the door. “I’m more than fine, Lily.” I laughed. It felt like my first real laugh in years.

“Ok.” The door closed slowly, but the usual sound of footsteps could not be heard. It warmed my heart. Lily had always been there for me.

I reached out towards the hair brush on my bedside table. A few quick strokes later I took a deep breath and began to make my way to the door.

//**//

Albus watched his father pace about nervously. “It’s just the home of a friend, father,” he tried to calm his very pale looking father. Emily, holding Albus’ hand, tried to cheer Harry up. Neither could do much. “We can stay, father.”

“No!” he snapped. “Sorry, I should’ve gone over there years ago.” He glanced up at Albus as if he were trying to convey some message or apology. “They should’ve been friends for you. But…” he stared out across the room. “I was too hurt, too confused.”

Albus glanced down at Emily worriedly. “Ok, but we better go or we’ll be late.”

Harry nodded.

Together they Apparated to a place his father called the Burrow. A strange house came into view. It looked pieced together, like magic alone was keeping it from falling over. No one was visible, but laughter could be heard coming from the far side of the house.

A bushy haired woman came walking hurriedly out the back door. It took Albus but a moment to place her as Rose’s mother, Hermione. She slowed down as she approached. Albus was expecting her to be angry, but instead she looked much like her father; sad and unsure.

“Hermione,” his father whispered. Then he ran forward and hugged her. They were both crying.

“Merlin, Harry,” she cried. “We’ve missed you.”

He pulled away. “I just… I couldn’t, Hermione. I’m sorry.” The words and apology were flimsy at best. Albus understood his father and how much they actually meant, Hermione seemed to understand them even more.

A very tall red haired man came running out of the house next. He looked furious. It was a mirror of Rose. Hermione stepped away from Harry.

Harry sent a firm look in Albus and Emily’s direction. “Just let him vent his anger, he’s a Weasley.” His father’s green eyes were pleading.

“We’ve seen the Weasley cousins have a go at each other.” Emily tried for some laughter.

Harry nodded at Hermione and neither did anything to stop the punch that connected with the side of his face. Harry raised a hand to his cheek and spat out some blood.

It took a minute for him to regain all of his wits. “I deserved that, Ron.”

“Rose’s dad?” Emily asked and Albus nodded. “Explains some of her rage.”

“What were you thinking, you prat. Just running off like that. And after Ginny’s accident! We needed you, Harry. Mum needed you.”

Harry spat out some more blood. “I couldn’t. I was wrong, but I couldn’t Ron.”

The read haired man seemed liked he was going to explode, but then he pulled Albus’ father into a hug. “Merlin, we’ve missed you, Harry.” He let go and faced Albus. “So this must be the famous, Albus Potter. Rose couldn’t stop complaining about you.” He took a step towards Albus and held out his hand. “A pleasure to meet you.”

“And you too,” Albus said taking the man’s hand, unsure of what to make of the sudden change in mood. “This is my girlfriend, Emily Hawthorne.”

“A red head.” Ron laughed. “Hermione, the curse strikes again.”

Both Harry, still trying to stop the bleeding, and Hermione laughed. They left the young couple speechless. His father was next to speak, “it’s a family joke. A Potter practically always falls in love with a red haired woman.” Harry poked Hermione playfully. It was the first time Albus had ever seen such a side of his father. He could really see now that the three had been great friends.

“At least the last seven recorded generations of male Potters.”

Harry winked at Emily. “You’re doomed I’m afraid.”

Ron bellowed out a laugh. “Welcome Emily. And sorry for the show. Seventeen years of frustration.”

Hermione touched Harry’s cheek and carefully healed the damage Ron had inflicted. Only when she was satisfied did she allow the three to walk towards the house. Lily intercepted Albus and Emily outside just as his father rounded the corner of the building.

“Albus! Emily,” she greeted excitedly and gave them both hugs. “Aunt Hermione just told me you’ll be here. I think she was trying to keep it a secret. Grandma Molly would probably have been too excited if she’d known. Mum,” she sighed. “Well I guess she’s excited.”

“It seems that I’m missing a lot,” Albus rubbed his head in confusion.

“Harry James Potter!” a loud voice shouted. “Come here and give me a hug!”

Lily laughed. “Grandma found him.”

“You’re as thin as ever!” the same voice scolded.

Lily led them into the house. Albus made sure to keep Emily close to him. He really needed the support. This was all very weird.

“I’m just going to call, mum.” Lily rolled her eyes. “Again. She will probably want to meet your father.”

“Why?” Albus asked.

She stopped. “Well he did save her life, didn’t he?” Then she vanished up the stairs.

“Did he?” Albus asked Emily. She raised a hand in confusion. The pair followed the sound of voices to the back garden.

“There you are,” his father called as they exited the house. A large group of red and brown haired people stared up at them.

“He looks just like you,” an older woman said. Her red hair was going grey, again Albus felt like he knew the woman. She crossed the lawn quickly towards him. Her arms wrapped themselves around him. It was a crushing embrace of what he thought was pure love and he immediately felt himself liking her.

“He’s like a twin,” Lily said suddenly from beside him.

Albus’ father let out a small gasp. He was staring right at Lily. “She is the picture of Ginny isn’t she?” A bald old man said. Albus assumed he was Lily’s grandfather.

Harry nodded dumbly as he slowly walked towards her. He looked to be on the verge of a breakdown. “Who’s her mother?” he asked.

“I am,” an older version of Lily’s voice said from the doorway. Albus stepped aside and saw a very beautiful version of Lily. She had the same brown eyes and wavy red hair. Albus’ mouth dropped open, beside him Emily gasped. She was identical to the woman above their fireplace. Except this woman had Muggle crutches.

She did not seem to see Albus. Instead she was looking right at his father. “Harry?” she asked.

“Ginny?” he whispered.

On the other side of Ginny, Albus could see the same confused expression on Lily’s face. In fact all the Weasleys were looking a bit confused.

“Ginny!” his father called out again. Then he was running, he ran right up to Ginny and stopped, suddenly unsure. His voice dropped and she looked up at him longingly. “You look more beautiful than ever.”

She glanced away. “I’m hideous, Harry. Crippled and nothing like the woman you loved.”

He lifted her chin towards him in the same manner Albus did with Emily. Then he lowered his face towards her and kissed her lips.

“What!” Albus and Lily shouted together.

Harry ignored them and lifted Ginny into the air. “I thought you were dead and with Albus I was just… I couldn’t come here.”

“You always were a fool Harry,” Ginny laughed. “But I guess I always loved that about you.”

“Why not come to me?” Harry asked suddenly when he placed her back down. He made sure she had her crutches firmly on the ground before letting go. She touched her forehead awkwardly, while balancing on one arm. “I suffered amnesia. Your voice, I heard your voice now and it all came flooding back.”

She rubbed at her eyes and then turned to face Albus. “Albus Severus Potter, named after two Headmaster’s of Hogwarts.” She took a step towards him.

“Mother?” Albus said slowly. All the Weasleys were staring at him in wonder. In the distance, Rose seemed to be in the most shock.

Ginny nodded, but he could barely see anything. The world was a blur. He did, however, feel her arms wrap around him.

“Wait a minute!” Ron shouted.

“You’re telling me that you and Harry… after the war.”

“We got married,” Harry said. “I wanted to keep things quiet, in case things turned ugly again. Which they did.” He added the last part.

Ginny glared at Harry. “We wanted to keep things quiet. Don’t go blaming this all on yourself. We hoped by being secretive it would help protect our small family,” Ginny continued. She reached out and took hold of Albus’ hand. “Things got a bit dangerous and so Harry sent me home since I was pregnant with Lily. I just never made it to the Burrow.”

Hermione came forward and embraced Harry. She finished the story for Ginny. “You were missing, Harry, had been for a year. Ron, myself and the rest of us were all furious with you for vanishing. And then she had amnesia. We had no way of knowing you were involved with Ginny. You broke up before the Horcrux hunt. So we never thought about talking to you and you never came back the Burrow.”

Ron clapped Harry on the shoulder with a level of understanding that Albus would probably never comprehend. “You could never believe that others loved you like family.” Beside him, Albus realised Emily was nodding along with his father.

He wrapped his arm around her. “We love you, Emily.”

“I…” Harry turned and cried into Mrs Weasley’s shoulder. She patted him in a motherly way. “I thought with Albus… and Ginny that had died you would never accept me.”

Albus looked at the older woman. She was his grandmother. Then at Ginny, his mother. Finally he looked at Lily who was staring right back at him. She was his sister.

Harry eventually pulled away from Mrs Weasley and took a stride towards Albus’ sister. “Lily.” He took a quick look at Ginny. “I guess you now realise that you are actually Lily Potter.” She nodded slowly and let him wrap her in his arms.

“That day in the class.” Lily sniffed. “I just knew there was something different about you.”

“He’s Harry Bloody Potter. Of course he is different,” Ron laughed.

Harry choked. “Thanks for pointing that out, mate.”

Ron grinned. “What’s annoying friends for, Harry?”

Everyone stood in awkward silence after Ron and Harry’s short banter. Emily was still close to Albus. He kissed the top of her head and she squeezed his hand in return.

“Want to take a walk?” Harry asked Ginny. She shook her head while looking down at her crutches. Harry smiled lovingly. “I’ll do the walking.” He gently lifted her up in his arms.

“Harry,” she shrieked loudly.

He did not stop. “We’ll be back.” Harry took a few steps and then the pair Apparated away.

The entire group stood and stared at the spot where they had vanished from. Lily was the first to react. She came across to Albus, they stared at each other for a long time. “You always did remind me of my mother,” Albus said finally.

She grinned. “I’ve always wanted a brother.”

He let go of Emily and hugged his sister. Lily then hugged Emily. “Thanks for taking good care of my brother this semester,” Lily whispered to her. “He’s a special bloke.”

“I know,” Emily smiled back.

Albus and Emily, shown around by Lily, were introduced to everyone in turn. Fortunately most of the family was not there otherwise it would’ve taken all day.

Hermione spoke a few words with Mrs Weasley and then Apparated away. She returned about an hour later.

“Well?” Mr Weasley asked. Hermione glanced at Lily and then Albus.

“I don’t know why I never considered looking before, but we never thought that she would elope.” Albus caught on to what Hermione had done. “It’s there and official. Seventeen years ago, eleven months before the birth of Albus, and two months after Ginny graduated from Hogwarts and a week after moving out of the Burrow, Harry married her.”

“But why did Hogwarts not recognise me as Potter?” Lily asked in confusion.

“The system recognises you by who you believe yourself to be. Even if you lie you still know who you are, but we never knew and so it classified you as Lily Weasley after your mother’s supposed name.” Hermione frowned. “Honestly, something must have registered the marriage somewhere.”

“Why was I named Lily?” she asked. No one beside Hermione really cared about the details at this point. What was done was done.

Hermione laughed awkwardly. It was Albus who replied. “You’re named her after my, our father’s mother, Lily.”

His sister’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Everyone nodded. “We felt stupid afterwards, but the name suited you.”

Two hours after leaving, his parents returned. They both had a sparkle in their eyes and Albus tried very hard to ignore his father’s slightly more ruffled hair. Lily on the other hand ignored her mother’s gaze, and Albus had to admit that his mother’s hair was slightly dishevelled. Harry carried her tenderly in his arms.

“Seventeen years apart and they still love each other,” Lily whispered.

“He never stopped loving her,” Albus replied. “Christmas is always the worst time of the year for him. He’d sit staring at a photo of them.”

“Lily, Albus,” Harry called. “Can we have a minute with you? Emily you can come if you want.”

Albus looked at her and Emily nodded. The three teens followed Harry as he carried Ginny to the far end of the garden.

He placed her against a tree at her direction. The Potter family and Emily settled down around her.

“So,” Harry began. “It seems apologises are in order.”

“No,” Albus and Lily said together. They smiled and Lily continued, “You don’t owe us an apology. I would have loved growing up with you, but it was a misunderstanding. We’re just glad that you found each other again.”

Their father looked a bit ashamed and Ginny took hold of his hand. “Still, I should’ve come round here years ago, but each year it just became more difficult.”

“Yes,” Lily said. “But my Aunt and Uncle should’ve gone looking for you. They knew you. They could’ve helped you.”

“Thanks, Lily,” Ginny said. Their mother glanced at Harry who smiled. “Harry and I were talking and I would like to move away from the Burrow. Lily, Albus, would you mind for us all to live together?”

“Of course not,” the two teens shouted together. Lily rushed to give her mother a hug and then her father. “I would love nothing more than to be a family.”

Albus laughed. “Better late than never.” He held onto Emily’s hand. He had everything now.

Harry pulled them all into a hug. “This is the greatest Christmas present ever.” Albus wanted to make some funny remark about socks, but this just wasn’t the time.



A/N
Thank you for reading. I hope you found the story interesting and enjoyable to some degree.

Comments welcome and appreciated as always.

For those wondering about ‘A Darker Shade of Light’, it is still in the works. I’m just finding the current chapters difficult to write. I also got my mind entangled in a new much more fun Harry/Ginny story, which I hope to start posting soon. So far it is 60k long divided into 21 chapters.

Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear