Search:

SIYE Time:14:55 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Forgotten
By Manwe Valarian

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 10
Summary: A prequel story to After the Horcrux. It is Ginny's POV of the Battle of Hogwarts and the time leading up to seeing Harry again.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6027; Chapter Total: 1338





Author's Notes:
I wanted to post this story before the second chapter of After the Horcrux. Not only does this story explain Ginny's moods in the first chapter, but it also explains my take on what was going on in the British magical community. This was supposed to be one chapter, but it became too long, and is now a two-chapter one-shot. The Deaths are the ones from Deathly Hallows. I want to thank my Beta, Ministry Malcontent, for all the hard work at finding my numerous errors and some sage advice.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The sections in italics are from Deathly Hallows. I changed some of the lines because this story is from Ginny's POV, instead of Harry's.

Ginny waved her wand once over the girl’s leg to numb it. The second time she whispered an incantation to heal broken bones. The girl’s leg twisted itself around until it was straight again, without her screaming in agony.

Ginny had learned these incantations this year from Madam Pomfrey. She and several others had been taught to heal things like broken bones, minor cuts caused by dark magic, and other injuries associated with Carrow’s Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

“I want to go home. I want my mother,” cried the girl.

”It’s all right,” Ginny said. “It’s okay. We’re going to get you inside.”

“But I want to go home,” whispered the girl. “I don’t want to fight anymore!”

“I know,” said Ginny her voice breaking. “It’s going to be all right.” Ginny knelt down and held the girls hand, comforting her.


A sudden chill filled her. She stood up and looked behind her with her wand gripped tightly in her hand. She felt a chill that she had always associated with Dementors. They were on the grounds, but as she surveyed the area around her she could not see any of the foul creatures.

The chill was different. Whenever Dementors get close, the air gets colder. The night air was not cold. It was actually rather warm for this early in May. She could not take a chance and leave her guard down. Voldemort might have said that he was giving everyone an hour to heal the wounded, but she knew better than to trust that snake’s words. She just hoped that Harry would not go to him.

She had suspected that Harry was the Chosen One, the one to defeat Voldemort, but it didn’t make thinking about the outcome any easier. Fear shot through her, the fear of losing Harry caused the chill inside of her to increase. She had to believe that he was going to survive. She could not lose hope of ever being able to look into those beautiful eyes again. She must believe. If she lost hope now, she would not be able to produce a Patronus to fend off a Dementor.

A movement to the right scared her. She quickly snapped her wand around and pointed it at the movement.

“Ginny, be careful,” demanded her mother. She was walking towards Ginny with Oliver Wood right behind her. “You need to return to the great hall, now.”

“This young girl, Beatrice, needs to see Madam Pomfrey,” Ginny said as she stepped aside and indicated the girl on the ground. “Her leg was broken, but I set it. Madam Pomfrey will need to give her some Skele-Gro before she can put any weight on it.”

“All right, Ginny, off you go,” ordered Mrs. Weasley. “Oliver, be a dear and carry the poor girl to Poppy.”

Ginny, angered at her mother’s attitude, took off at a fast pace towards the great hall. She was still feeling the chill even as she walked up the steps to the entrance hall. Before stepping into the castle, she took one last look around at the grounds. She looked past the carnage and damage. She was looking for one thing, an indication of Harry. Seeing her mother walking up the steps, she turned and hurried into the great hall.

The sight of all the dead lying on the floor of the great hall almost caused her physical pain. Her remorse was mixed with anger that people could do things like this and feel justified just because they were pure-bloods. Ginny saw George kneeling at Fred’s head. He had barely moved since they brought Fred in and laid him on the floor. With everyone grieving Fred’s death and the battle raging around them, she hadn’t had the chance to talk to George.

As she walked towards George, she tried to ignore the other dead. She could not dwell on who was already dead. Her concern needed to be for the ones still living, like Harry and her family. The sight of Colin Creevey hurt her. Remus and Tonks made the chill she was feeling increase. It may have been because they both looked almost happy together on the floor of the hall.

Kneeling down beside George she put an arm around George’s shoulders and leaned her head against his. She knelt while holding onto her brother for some time before talking. “I’m so sorry, George,” she whispered in his ear. She fought back tears. If she started to cry now, she might not stop. There was too much to do yet, she could not let herself succumb to tears.

George knelt there, staring at his dead twin while gently caressing Fred’s hair over the spot where the stone had hit his head. Other than the misshapen spot on his head, Fred looked perfectly fine. He even still had a smile on his lips.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen like this, Gin,” whispered George. “We always figured it would have been both of us. It was supposed to be like Gideon and Fabian. Everything we did we always did together. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. We should have never separated. It wasn’t supposed to…”

“George,” whispered Ginny. “Don’t say that, please don’t say that.”

“Why? Now he has gone where I can’t be with him. We have always done things together.”

“George, please,” pleaded Ginny. She was fighting to keep the tears contained as they burnt hot in her eyes. She could not cry, not now. “We need you. I need you. Who is going to make us laugh?”

“I don’t care, Ginny. I just want to be together with Fred again. I hope Harry doesn’t give himself up.”

Ginny was going to ask him why, but her mother’s voice stopped her.

“Ginevra, you need to get upstairs to that room!”

“No! I am not going,” snapped Ginny. Her anger at being ordered about overcame any grief she was feeling.

“Yes, you are, and you are going right now. I want you and the rest of my children upstairs and out of here.”

“We can’t use that room, Mrs. Weasley,” stated Hermione. “Vincent Crabbe released Fiendfyre in it. If the room were opened it might get released into the castle.”

Ginny watched as her mum opened and closed her mouth. It looked as if she was trying to think of another way of getting everyone to leave.

“Molly, it doesn’t matter anymore if they leave,” said her father soothingly. His voice was so calm and comforting. He even reached out and caressed her cheek. “Even if Ginny leaves, she will still be hunted. The only thing we can do now is stay together and fight this evil tonight. We must fight them as a family, or be cut down one by one.”

“But — but, they are our children,” her mum cried.

“They are not children anymore, Molly. He and his followers have taken that away from them.”

Ginny watched as her mother stared at all of them. She could see the realization in her eyes. There was no choice, they all had to fight. She grabbed her husband’s hand as a few tears escaped her eyes. “All right, I guess there is no choice, then.”

“Well said, Arthur,” said Kingsley.

Ginny looked around and realized that the entire great hall was looking at them. It was silent as they stared at Ginny’s family. Kingsley Shacklebolt turned towards the rest of the people in the great hall.

“Arthur is right. Even if Harry gives himself up for us, Voldemort won’t let us go free. Maybe we can leave tonight, but he and his followers will hunt us down. I feel that no matter what happens we must continue to fight this evil. We have suffered for a year under his rule. I will not suffer under it any longer. Are you with me?”

The answer was never heard as Voldemort’s voice pierced the air.

“Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away….”

Ginny never even heard the rest. Between the noise of everyone running toward the doors and the searing pain in her chest at the possibility of it being true, she could barely hear anything at all. She stood up and started running towards the doors that Professor McGonagall was now opening. There were so many people in her way.

She could hear Professor McGonagall gasping, and Voldemort talking, about Harry being dead as she fought her way through the crowd. Finally, she broke through the crowd. She had no clue whom she shoved aside to get to the front and she didn’t care. For at that second all hope lay dead in Hagrid’s arms.

“NO!”

He could not be dead. He was the hope to rid this world of Voldemort.

“NO!”

He could not be dead. He was her hope. He was the future that she wanted. She didn’t care about him being The Chosen One. She loved him for who he was.

“Harry! Harry!”

He could not be dead. She had never told him how she truly felt about him. Last year, there were several times when he would look in her eyes and stare at her. She was sure he was going to tell her he loved her. She had wanted to tell him that she loved him, but she didn’t want to pressure him. She should have told him. She still could.

She wanted to run to him, but something was holding her back. The muscles in her legs and back ached as she strained to run down the castle steps, but she only felt herself being pulled towards the ground. Hands pulling on her robes were holding her back. Everything was a blur around her except Harry’s lifeless body.

He looked so small and frail. It wasn’t Hagrid’s size. Harry was not a large person, and he had had the entire world resting on his shoulders ever since he was born. So many people thought he was moody and quick tempered, but Ginny realized it was a result of who he was. His moods were not what he was. He had always been sweet and a gentleman around her.

Ginny opened her mouth to call to him. The taste of salt surprised her. She had not realized that she was crying. Then again the only thing she was focused on was Harry’s body. The searing pain in her heart from thinking that Harry might be dead was now a throbbing pain spreading outward through her body. She had experienced pain before in the Dark Arts class, when the Slytherins were practicing the Cruciatus Curse. This pain was different, not as intense but even more agonizing. When being tortured you knew or hoped that it would stop and you would get a reprieve. There was no reprieve for the pain she was feeling. Harry was dead and would not be coming back alive. All hope for the future had left her.

Hagrid laid Harry’s body down on the ground. Ginny stared at it wanting people to let her go to him. All she wanted right now is to be next to him, to be close to him, to be with him. She remembered what George had said about how he and Fred were supposed to die together.

The thoughts of Remus's and Tonks’ bodies lying beside each other came back to her. She was there hiding in the shadows when Dolohov killed Remus. She remembered Tonks running to her dead husband, forgetting about the duel she was having with Bellatrix. Ginny watched as Bellatrix killed her own niece as she ran.

Now Remus and Tonks were beside each other in the great hall. There was a look of contentment on their faces even in death. They were together. Why not her and Harry?

A new determination formed in her mind. She had no reason to fight for survival. She had all the reasons in the world to fight for revenge. She might die. She would welcome death, but she would do anything in her power to stop the Death Eaters. If she was fortunate, she would end up with Harry. It was all she could hope for. It was the best ending to this battle that she could think of.

The burning Sorting Hat and Neville screaming brought her out of her dark thoughts. She realized that no one was holding her down anymore. She slowly stood up and was getting ready to charge to help Neville, when the most amazing thing happened. He broke free of Voldemort’s Body-bind and pulled the sword of Gryffindor out of the hat. At that second, the grounds of Hogwarts erupted in warfare. Arrows flew from the forest, hundreds of people were charging up from the main gate and everyone around her was running out to engage the Death Eaters.

Ginny ran at Voldemort and his followers. The only thing she looked for was people’s allegiance. She didn’t want to hit anyone fighting for freedom with a nasty curse. The Death Eaters were so outnumbered that she was helping others in their battles more than engaging anyone one on one. Every time she saw an opportunity to Curse a Death Eater battling someone else, she took it. It might not have qualified as fighting fair, but she didn’t care right now.

The Death Eaters made a run for the castle. The people entering the grounds were overwhelming them. Ginny being in the thick of it moved with the battle into the castle. All the while she kept firing off Curses and Hexes, enjoying seeing the Death Eaters falling to their former victims.

As the battle moved into the great hall the close quarters made things even more dangerous. Errant Curses were flying everywhere. Several times Ginny could feel Spells flying just past her as she moved through the battle. She was dodging more Curses than she was firing off now.

Suddenly, as if the combatants parted, she found herself facing Bellatrix Lestrange. Hermione and Luna joined the fight. Bellatrix was a match for all of them. Ginny was hoping to get one good Curse off at her so Hermione and Luna could gain an advantage. She almost hit Bellatrix with a Cutting Hex, but Bellatrix retaliated with the Killing Curse. She flinched a little. She didn’t want to die now. She wanted to get revenge on Bellatrix for Neville’s parents, Sirius, and Tonks.

Someone pushed Ginny to the side and confronted Bellatrix. When she saw that it was her mum, she was filled with fear. Her mother needed to stay alive for the family. As the Curses became more deadly, Ginny wanted to help, but they were moving too fast and were too close together for her to cast any Spells. Looking around the great hall Ginny saw one Death Eater taken down after another. The entire time she looked around her, she was keeping an eye on her mother’s duel for an opportunity to give her mother an advantage.

With the flash of a Spell the duel was over. Bellatrix fell to the floor dead.

The only person still fighting was Voldemort. With a scream, he blasted McGonagall, Flitwick, and Kingsely away. She saw he was turning and glaring at her mum. Ginny was temporarily frozen with fear, as Voldemort fired a curse at her mum.

A Shield appeared between Voldemort and her mum, deflecting the curse away. Everyone looked to see where this shield came from. The entire hall froze as Harry appeared.

Confusion filled Ginny, she wanted to run to him, but she also felt betrayed by him. She suddenly realized that his death had been faked. She was willing to die to be with him. What would have happened if she had not flinched at the last second to avoid Bellatrix’s Killing Curse?

She watched with everyone else as Harry and Voldemort pointed their wands at each other. They spoke as they turned, but she didn’t even pay attention to what they were saying. She was concentrating on Harry. He seemed different now.

It wasn’t being on the run for the past year. When she saw him in the Room of Requirement a few hours ago, he was the same boy that she had fallen in love with. Now, however, he was not the same boy. He was different more mature and more confident. It seemed he had aged five years or more tonight.

Voldemort cast the Killing Curse at Harry, and he countered with the Disarming Spell. Fear filled her. She thought that she was going to have to watch Harry die. When Voldemort’s wand leapt from his hand and his Curse turned on him, Ginny stood there, shocked. Harry had won. Voldemort was dead.

Time seemed to slow down, as Voldemort fell to the floor. The unnatural quiet of the great hall hung over everything like a Silencing Charm. Ginny watched as the creature, who called himself Lord Voldemort, crumpled to the ground. She had seen several people die that night from the Killing Curse. He had the exact same look on his face; from being frozen in fear to his blank eyes, and the sudden limpness of his limbs. When he finally laid flat of the floor of the great hall, the silence broke into a loud roar.

Ginny still couldn’t take her eyes of him. She stared at the face that had haunted her dreams for the past two years, the defiled face of the person who had made her first year a nightmare, the personification of fear that caused Harry to break off their relationship to protect her. She stared at him waiting for him to flinch, to move, to try to escape.

He laid there, dead.

He was dead. It was over. No epic battle, no terrible display of magic, just two Spells and the reign of one of the most evil wizards all of time was over.

Harry would be free, now. He had fulfilled the prophecy.

Turning to look at him, she could see a crowd forming around him. Her legs had been frozen in place before, now they sprung into action. She ran into the crowd pushing and shoving to get to him.

She wanted to hug him, to kiss him, to tell him she loved him. She didn’t care anymore. She had almost missed the opportunity to let her feelings be known. She won’t let that moment pass again.

She saw Ron and Hermione hugging him and congratulating him. People were swarming around him and she could barely make out their faces. Rage filled her as Cho Chang hugged him. If she was two feet closer, she would have ripped her silky ebony hair right out of her head.

She finally made it to him. He looked at her, and it made her heart leap. He did seem different, even more handsome than she remembered. Even in this confusing mass of humanity, all she could see was Harry’s face. She started to put her arms around him. She wanted to feel his body next to hers. She was going to whisper in his ear that she loved him. Then she would kiss him. It would be like their first kiss all over again.

She never got her arms tightened around him before someone shoved her aside. She didn’t see who it was, because she was so focused on Harry’s face, the face that turned away from her and looked at someone else, the face that broke her heart with that simple act.

She stood there in that sea of humanity wanting him to turn back to her, but he didn’t. She had so many foolish hopes and dreams that he longed for her like she did for him, but he didn’t. He never even tried to look for her as others were hugging and congratulating him.

Ginny felt like she did in her first year. She stood there unnoticed by anyone, as she crushed on Harry. The rest of the world was pulling him away from her as her heart broke. He was safe. He was victorious. She was forgotten, again.
Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear