Search:

SIYE Time:18:56 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


With A Chance: The Goblet of Fire
By K823

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 18
Summary: Harry wasn't normal, never will be. The visions he always had, and the lack of friends he could explicitly trust to help him ensured that, but a fiery redhead changes all that, thanks to his visions. Now, he might just have a chance at life and love.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3888



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


With A Chance: The Goblet of Fire: Harry wasn't normal, never will be. The visions he always had, and the lack of friends he could explicitly trust to help him ensured that, but a fiery redhead is out to change that, and maybe show him the love he so desired. She can give him a chance he never had.





A/N: First attempt at writing a proper story, feedback would be much appreciated.
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or anything associated with said person. All rights belong to J.K. Rowling.

-------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------------

With A Chance:The Goblet of Fire

Prologue

-----------------------------------

Harry was different. That was it. It was not a very good reason, but it was a good reason nonetheless. He was different than what she expected. He managed to change her expectations of him every time they saw each other. When Ginny first saw the skinny boy, her first thought was that he was a vagrant. She expected him to be muscular, a little arrogant, but that was it.

She was wrong when she thought once he spent some time at the Burrow, he would laugh. He was simply different.

She found herself starting to like Harry Potter, the person, instead of the pedestal she had him on, otherwise known as 'The Boy-Who-Lived.'

She was wrong when she heard about his living conditions. The story from Ron and the twins shook her view of him being pampered.

She was wrong when she thought he would mock her and laugh, just like her brothers often did at times.

Harry made an effort a trying to be her friend, but she knew that she was sabotaging herself in that aspect. She knew he would stop once they reached Hogwarts however.

She was wrong.

It seemed that he actively tried to include her, and sit with her, although his friends Ron and Hermione dragged him off to sit with them somewhere. He always looked crestfallen, though she was yet to understand why. She realized it at once when she heard about a fight the three of them had. It was a small one, but a fight nonetheless.

Apparently, Hermione and Ron were intruding into his life, pushing him to spill his emotions when he felt no need to.

However, he seemed resigned to this, and that faraway look appeared in his eyes, as it often did at times, and he quickly shut them down, stating that if they couldn't trust him, then he wouldn't ever be able to trust them the same way he had before.

The dynamic of the group changed then, and they were seen together, but Harry could be seen just as much, if not more, with Ginny. He tried to strike up conversation, but her shyness killed any conversation faster than an Avada Kedavra.

She was right when she suspected he always kept his word, because he once told her that, out of all the friends he had, he trusted her the most. When she asked why, he simply grinned.

"Because Gin," his grin became wider as he noticed her shock at his use of what he knew was a hated nick name.

"You've never pushed me, although there are times I know you've wanted to, but you're content to let me be and listen, something others won't do." He paused here;

"Although that might be because of a crush you have on a certain black-haired boy," he winked, reached for her hand, and kissed it.

She quickly became as red as her hair, squeaked, and scuttled away.

She was wrong when she thought he would stop shoving hints that he may reciprocate her feelings.

He did, and always succeeded in scaring her off.

She was wrong when she thought he could be taken by surprise. He never could be, as he seemed to simply know things other people did not. Nothing academic, but things that pertained to himself, in some shape or form. She hoped he would tell her why someday, and she vowed to try to get to know him better.

There were two things she was never wrong about, however, and that was the fact that he was human, albeit as close to perfect a human could get, in terms of morals and compassion anyways, but he was human.

The other?

The fact that he truly was a hero, and he always kept his word.

She stated so herself when she and Harry were sitting down one day, and he was giving her the full story of 'The Golden Trio's - as they had been called by some - adventure in procuring the Philosopher's Stone.

He didn't make himself to be too important, minimized himself more like, but she knew that from the occasional slip ups, there were certain things he knew that he simply let Hermione figure out for herself.

When he finished, she regarded him for a moment, and did that bravest thing she could ever do.

She kissed him on the cheek, hoping that it wouldn't backfire upon her.

He seemed surprised, then content, letting a smile grace his features.

"Thanks Ginny."

There was no more to be said, although she did ask him how he seemed to know things before other people, how he always seemed to be ahead of the loop.

At that point, he started rambling on about the weather, and male intuition, but she merely raised an eyebrow.

Harry sighed. "One day Ginny, I'll tell you, but not right now, it's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't even know what to make of it myself, but I will tell you one day."

She knew, from then on, she would find out.

She had almost stopped writing in her diary at that point too, amidst the attacks, and she suspected herself to be the Heir, although she did not want to admit it.

She had almost told Harry, but she was scared off by Percy.

Then came the day she was possessed by Tom, and as she felt him taking over, she felt fear, sorrow, and surprisingly enough, hope.

She realized why once she thought of Harry. Somehow, she knew he would save her.She wasn't wrong.

---

As Harry faced Voldemort, as he now knew him to be, he was assaulted by visions of a hat, a phoenix, and a sword. He squared his shoulders, and faced him down.

The vision came to pass, as most of them did, unless he prevented it somehow.

Some of them detailed the young Ginny Weasley, whom he had gotten to know, once he received dreams and visions of him snogging her in the Gryffindor common room. He had resolved himself to help this vision along, when he received more, and he was shocked to see that he was not truly her friend until near the end of fifth year.

At first, when he was a young age, he did not believe these sudden visions to be real, but as time passed, he accepted them, as they gave him rather valuable insight into those around him, and so, Harry became much older mentally then he was physically.

Of course, he'd be lying if he said he didn't notice Ginny first thing when he was trying to get onto the platform for the first time.

He mused along, thinking about his growing affections for the young woman, as Ginny was now apt to be called, because he knew that after an experience like that, no one could be able to be called a child anymore, at least, not mentally.

Harry knew that he liked her, maybe as more, but at this point, she was simply too shy to make any obvious moves towards him, aside from the embarrassing ones.

Quite frankly, he found it cute, having never known true love and acceptance. Sure he had Ron, Hermione, and a few others, but no one understood him like Ginny did, and he knew that she felt quite the same way, from one of her confessions to him earlier in the year.

She had all but stated along the same lines he was currently thinking, about needing to get over her shyness before pursuing anything with him, but it had been enough, and the dynamic between the two changed for the better.

As Ginny stirred, he helped her up, and she stared at him for a few seconds before collapsing and spilling everything, much like he had done to her after the argument between Ron, Hermione, and him.It was one of those things they chose not to talk about. He knew Ron hadn't meant to hurt, he was young, and misunderstood, but Hermione... her remarks had all but broke him, even when he knew that they were coming.

The truth and foresight had not helped the sting once the words were said.

But he did know what to say, as he had already prepared his response. But it was one of those unmentionables, much like the conversations between Ginny and he.

They were the only ones allowed to talk about, well, whatever it was that they talked about

He was broken out of his reverie when she thanked him and stared at him as she waited for him to gather his thoughts.

Ginny knew that Harry wasn't mad, nor disappointed, he was merely pondering things, as he often did.

She had compared him to Dumbledore once and he snorted at that.

"Fat chance I'll be like that manipulative crock," he had said.

When she asked why he was not preferential towards Dumbledore,  he paused, then spouted off something about a godfather, Scabbers, Azkaban, a veil, and a prophecy.

Confused, she stared at him, and he waved his hand sheepishly.

"I'm sorry Ginny, it's one of those things, yeah?" Harry phrased it, as if afraid of losing her friendship over his not being able to let her into his life.

She knew he was private at times, and he had every right to be, and she merely forgot about it.

He smiled at her, whispered a few things in her ear that made her blush, then grinned at her cheekily.

"How did you always know what to say to me Mr. Potter?" She flirted with him casually, almost cautiously.

Harry grinned. "Because I can tell the future, think about that for a while now."

With that, he helped her up, grasped her hand, causing her to blush furiously again, and lead her out of the Chamber.

​---

Third year came to pass, and Harry and Ginny became ever closer. She was now more comfortable towards him, and they had even exchanged letters on occasion during the summer before third year.

Neither of them were impressed with Ron's attempt to contact him, and they had a good laugh over that for a few weeks.

Ginny always responded the quickest, although that was due, in part, to the Dursley's habit of assigning the most asinine chores to Harry.

Honestly, why would you need to clean a television screen, whatever that was? She knew about his chores and found them pointless.

The year passed, and she found herself privy to all of Harry's thoughts, and what was going on​ with the Trio and Sirius Black.

She never understood how Harry could claim his godfather was innocent, until at the very end of the year, he told her everything.

She had never known why he hated dementors so, and she found out as he leaned his head on her shoulder.

She shuddered as he told the tale of his parent's murder. He was her best friend, and she knew he felt the same about her, and they both knew they felt more towards each other, although he was loathe to do anything about it, and she knew that he had been stressed lately.

'There's always next year,' she thought to herself wistfully, not knowing how right she would be.

Harry's head had snapped up at that, and she was afraid he had read her mind, but she calmed herself down, that wasn't possible... was it?

​Unknown to her, Harry did know, and he smiled to himself, commending her for her ability at predicting him so easily. They flirted occasionally, but Ginny would always be the one to end it. Not voluntarily, but because they were both so outlandish that they said the most ridiculous things. Ginny would always end up blushing furiously and changing the topic, something which Harry found adorable.

The summer into fourth year, she was privy to all of Harry's thoughts, and Harry to her's. They both knew that their fourth and third year respectively was the year something would happen between them, one of them more certain than the other, as he had visions of some sort of Yule Ball where he would ask her.

He had smiled, knowing that, at times, his apparent ability Seer abilities - not that he would ever consider the loathesome profession, he had snorted to himself - were not so bad at times.

They knew each other inside out, almost to thepoint of reading minds, with Harry being just a little better at reading Ginny than the opposite of herreading him.

Ron nor Hermione were aware to this fact, and they both had had a good laugh over how oblivious Ron and Hermione were.

Ron had grown up a lot Ginny had told him, and Harry was pleased. Although he could see some instances of the future, it was only when it concerned him, and even then, only when it truly mattered.

He considered himself Lady Luck's child, and had expressed this sentiment to Ginny several times, which always had the both of them laughing loudly at the end.

They were two sides to the same coin, even more so then they thought, more so than anyone though.

Except for said Lady Luck and Destiny, or Fate, as she was called. Indeed, they both favored Harry Potter exponentially, and they had cursed the people who placed him with the Dursleys, and they had bestowed upon Harry Potter therare gift of telling the future.

Although it was not the future, it was merely an alternate dimension that was an exact copy of Harry Potter's own.

Or it would have been anyways, if Luck and Destiny had not interfered, but they had seen the end of Other Harry, as they had taken to calling the other dimension, and it was not pretty, so they conspired and plotted, and they came up with "telling the future" so to speak.

They focused upon Harry Potter, who was having another nightmare.

---

Harry awoke from his nightmare, dazed and confused, and checked his clock Ginny had given him for a birthday present. It was 4 A.M.

Harry grimaced, knowing he would never get to sleep, and so he lit an everlasting candle that Hermione had given him, and set to work on writing a letter to the object of his affections.

He thanked Hermione mentally, as the candle had been charmed to only light with the Lumos spell, or  muggle means, and never went out unless Harry blew it out. It never wittled down into a small mass of wax either, for which Harry was grateful.

Harry wrote his letter, detailing the dream, asking Ginny what he should do, and he saved it to be sent tomorrow.

Hedwig had been outside, and as she came back in, she swooped down, grabbed the letter, and flew off to the burrow.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows.

'That owl's too smart for it's own good,' he thought, before he decided to go back to sleep.

This time, he fell asleep dreaming of days when older versions of themselves sat by the lake with their feet in the water, discussing meaningless things.

He had his first pleasant sleep since the summer had started.

----------

So what do you think? Feedback highly appreciated.



Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear