Search:

SIYE Time:5:32 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


That's Not My Name
By CharmedImSure

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 18
Summary: Ginny Weasley is more than just a nickname...and Harry knows it.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4746



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


“Hey, Sugar!”

“Hey, Beautiful!”

“Hey, Gorgeous!”

That’s not my name.

I like to date, I like to flirt, and I like to meet new people.

Trust me, getting these nicknames from a various number of males at Hogwarts is flattering and fun.

But, sometimes, I have to step back and wonder, “Do they know my name?”

Michael always calls me sugar.

He says he calls me sugar because I’m sweet.

But when I jinxed his arse into the wall during our DA meetings, I didn’t feel so sweet.

Seamus always calls me beautiful.

He says my hair is beautiful, my eyes are beautiful, my body is beautiful….

But when I have my hair up, my sweats and t-shirt on and I am studying really hard for my potions exam, I actually feel as though I am really learning something. I don’t feel beautiful though… I feel smart.

And when I turn around to see who will notice my smarts, no one is there to say anything at all.

Dean calls me gorgeous.

He says that everything about me is gorgeous although he never specifies except to rake a quick glance over me with his dark eyes.

But when I am on the Quidditch field and Harry is looking at Cho Chang as if she is the most gorgeous girl in the world and when I hear him call her by her name, I don’t feel gorgeous.

*****

Ginny Weasley stepped into the castle from the pouring rain. Her Quidditch robes were soaked but it didn’t matter.

Ginny felt great.

It was the best practice. She had never flown better and she had never felt better.

She could hear something in the background, something faint…

But it was unfamiliar…

So she kept walking.

“Hey!”

She stopped and turned to see Harry walking towards her. When he finally caught up, he grinned at her.

“I’ve been calling after you. Didn’t you hear me?”

Ginny shook her head. “No. Must have been in another world.” She silently answered that she also did not respond to the greeting ‘Hey!’

“I was wondering if you had seen Ron today?” Harry continued, shoving his hands in his pockets.

Ginny shook her head again and then turned started walking back down the corridor.

Harry caught her arm and her eyes widened in surprise as she turned and saw a look of…worry?...in his eyes.

“Are you alright?” he asked, gently.

But before she could answer, Dean turned the corner and smiled when he saw her.

“Hey Gorgeous!”

Ginny sighed and missed the frown on Harry’s face as Dean came up to the two of them and clapped Harry on the shoulder.

“Ready for the big game tomorrow, mate?”

Harry’s eyes were narrowed at Dean and Ginny frowned remembering how close the two of them had always been.

“Of course,” Harry answered shortly.

“Great!” Dean exclaimed. Then he turned to Ginny. “See you at dinner, Gorgeous.” And he walked on down the corridor and left Harry and Ginny alone.

Ginny sighed and whispered in the dark, “That’s not my name.”

“What?”

She looked up startled and realized she had forgotten Harry was still there. She smiled. “Nothing, it’s nothing,” she said, dismissing the issue with her hand. “If I see Ron, I’ll let you know.”

And with that she nodded to him and walked away.

*****

Later that evening, while Hermione was helping Ginny with her Potions homework, Harry and Ron walked into the Gryffindor common room and plopped down next to them by the fireplace.

“I hate Potions. And I hate Snape.” Ron grumbled.

“You don’t mean that Ronald.”

“Yes, I do Hermione! He is a raving lunatic who thinks we have nothing better to do then write silly essays on a silly subject!”

Hermione sighed. “Potions is not silly, Ronald!”

Harry grinned at Ginny. “We should have said hello before Ron had a chance to start an argument.”

Ginny laughed softly. “Hello, Harry,” she said.

“Hi.”

Her laugh faltered and she sighed and returned to her homework wondering if anyone at Hogwarts besides Hermione and the faculty actually knew what her real name was. It seemed as though she had too many others and her own had gotten lost in the confusion.

“Why the grim look?”

Harry’s question brought her back to her current situation, but before she could answer his question, she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

“Hi’ya Beautiful!”

Seamus Finnigan walked over to Harry and Ginny.

“Ready for the game tomorrow, Harry?”

Ginny looked up at Harry and noticed his hands clasped tightly together and white at the knuckles.

“Yes,” he forced out.

Ginny frowned. Ron and Harry had always gotten along so well with Seamus.

“Awesome! We are going to blow those Ravenclaws out of the water!”

Seamus turned to walk away and as he did, he looked over at Ginny and said, “Sweet dreams, Beautiful.”

Ginny sighed and put her head down muttering, “That’s not my name.”

“They should ask you too, y’know,” Harry commented, waking her from her thoughts. “You are on the team as well.”

Ginny smiled and looked across the room and then down at her hands. When she looked up, Harry was in a deep conversation with Ron and Hermione. So, Ginny gathered up her books, said goodnight, and walked up the stairs unaware of Harry’s gaze following her as she did.

*****

Following the victory of the Gryffindors against the Ravenclaws the next day, Harry ran over to Ginny and twirled her around in an embrace.

“We won!” he exclaimed.

She laughed as he set her back on the ground. “Was there ever any question?”

He grinned down at her. “You did great.”

She shrugged. “I try. You did amazing though,” she exclaimed, poking him in the arm.

He laughed and stared down at her. Her smile faltered and she became slightly uncomfortable under his intense gaze. He was about to say something before Ron came over and slapped him on the back.

“Great catch, mate!”

Harry swallowed and blinked, looking away from Ginny and gathered himself together again. “Thanks,” he said.

Ginny sighed as the two began to discuss the game. And then she heard a familiar voice.

“Lucky win, Sugar.”

She rolled her eyes and turned to her ex-boyfriend, Michael Corner, always bitter about a loss.

“Not lucky,” she said.

“Right, like that goal you made was actually skill,” he laughed. “Come on, Sugar. You know better than that.”

“That’s not my name,” she mumbled as she started to walk away.

“What?” Michael hollered after her.

Ginny stopped in her tracks and her blood started to boil with anger. She turned on her heel and turned towards Michael.

“My name is not Sugar! My name is…!”

“Hey!”

Ginny rolled her eyes as she turned and saw Harry walking towards her. She shook her head as if to ignore him but when she turned her attention back to Michael, he was gone.

She sighed and felt a hand on her arm.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked her.

She looked up at him, shook her head, and turned to walk away.

Harry called after her. “Ginny, wait!”

And Ginny stopped dead in her tracks.

“Are you sure you are alright?” Harry said, moving to stand in front of her.

“What did you just say?” she asked slowly, not sure what exactly she heard.

“I asked if you were alr…”

Ginny shook her head. “No, before that.”

Harry sighed and smiled, as if he knew exactly what she was looking for.

“I know what your name is, Ginny,” he said softly, placing his hands on her shoulders and looking directly into her eyes.

Ginny blinked to try to keep tears from her eyes and was thankful that she was successful in keeping them back. “Oh,” she said softly. “You do, eh?”

Harry laughed, startling Ginny slightly. “Of course I do. It is the name that is always running through my head no matter what I am doing. When I am studying, I think of the name ‘Ginny’. When I am in class, I think of the name ‘Ginny’. When I am eating, I think of the name ‘Ginny’. When I am sleeping, I dream of the girl 'Ginny'.”

Ginny smiled and felt as if she could hardly breathe. “You think about me?”

Harry nodded. “Yes.”

He pulled his hands back from her shoulders, shoved them in his pockets and looked down at the ground. “I like you, Ginny.”

A minute passed and seemed like a lifetime before Ginny smiled and threw her arms around his neck. “Thank you, Harry!”

The name ‘Ginny’ was the last thing on Harry’s lips before they were touching hers.

THE END!
Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear