Search:

SIYE Time:13:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Memoirs of a Red Headed Witch
By My Wicked Quill

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Post-HBP, Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Humor, Romance, Songfic
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 136
Summary: Ginny Weasley was always overlooked. Always the youngest, always the smallest, and was never really given the chance to let her voice be heard. But sometimes the best insight comes from those who were always in the background. Her story of redemption, loyalty and love, proves that she was never just the Weasley brothers' little sister.
Hitcount: Story Total: 177832; Chapter Total: 7932
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWs PART 1 WAS EPIC!!!!! who agrees? anyone watch it at midnight? i did, and the next day at school was Harrry Potter day so everyone went dressed up, it's been a good (BUT BUSY) week. sorry this chapter has taken so long! hopefully i make up for it with the story :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


ENTRY 17
A Silver Statement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

“How you gonna cope when there is no closure?
Where you gonna reach when the goal gets higher?
How you gonna make it through when you think you lost your chance?
Play on when you're losing the game
Play on 'cause you're gonna make mistakes
It's always worth the sacrifice
Even when you think you're wrong
So play on, play on
Even through a storm on the darkest night
don't you ever give up the fight,
Even when you think you’re al alone
Play on,” Play on - Carrie Underwood





If you haven’t already been able to tell, I tend to be left behind every time Harry goes on some crazy mission with my brother and best friend. Whether it was because I was too young, I didn’t know what was happening, or they just didn’t want me tagging along. With all the changes that had happened my fourth year, my friendship with Sirius, my boyfriend, and relaxing around Harry, I should have known that that was the year I would embark on my first adventure with him.

The school year was coming to a close, and Umbridge was just has terrible as ever. Ever since the D.A. crumbled and Dumbledore left the premises, Umbridge was the dictator we all despised more than before. It didn't even feel like school anymore, and this was precisely what I was telling Luna as we walked down the corridor that night.

She was about to respond when we heard a familiar voice yell, “I EXPECT HE’D SAY SOMETHING
DIFFERENT IF HE KNEW WHAT I’D JUST-” (ootp 735) He never really got to finish, however, because Luna and I walked through the door in alarm. Harry’s voice sounding like that was never a good sign.

“Hi,” I said, “We recognized Harry’s voice. What are you yelling about?”

“Never you mind,” the green-eyed-boy replied harshly.

“There’s no need to take that tone with me,” I said just as coolly, “I was only wondering whether I could help.”

“Well you can’t.”

“You’re being rather rude, you know,” said Luna.

Hermione looked at me thoughtfully before saying, “Wait…wait Harry they can help.”

My attention was caught immediately, I remember being so startled that I was actually being considered to help in some way, even though I still had no clue what they were talking about.

“Listen,” Hermione continued. “Harry we need a way to establish if Sirius has really left headquarters-” But Harry interrupted then, saying that he knew what he was talking about, and it turned into a quick bicker.

I froze, Sirius out of hiding? If Sirius had left Grimmuald Place, then the situation was awfully severe. My heart dropped as I concluded that Harry had another vision, this time it was of Sirius and he was being tortured. Hermione was right to question Harry. However much I believed him, we had to somehow check and see if Harry wasn’t mistaken before flying off to London.

I remembered what Lupin had told me about not knowing if Harry visions were accidental… or intentional.

“Sirius is being tortured NOW!” shouted Harry,(ootp 736) making me flinch. “We haven’t got time to waste.”

“But if this is a trick of Voldemort’s, Harry we’ve got to check, we’ve got to-”

“How? How’re we going to check?”

“We’ll have to use Umbridge’s fire and see if we can contact him. We’ll draw Umbridge away again, but we’ll need lookouts, and that’s where we could use Ginny and Luna.”

“Yeah, we’ll do it,” I said.

“When you say Sirius, are you talking about Stubby Boardman?” Luna asked. There was no time to help the poor girl.

Ron, Hermione Harry, Luna and I came up with a plan and we were all given tasks to perform at top speed. Luna and I were to clear the corridor before Umbridge’s office, so that Harry could sneak in and speak to Sirius though the fireplace. If Harry couldn’t get in touch with Sirius, then Sirius was in trouble, and it meant that Harry’s vision was true: that Sirius was being tortured in the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic in London. Whatever that was.

“Luna and I can stand at either end of the corridor and warn people not to go down there
because someone’s let off a load of Garroting Gas,”(ootp 737) I said quickly, everyone looked up at me surprised at either my quick thinking or my unusual idea, I shrugged, “Fred and George were planning on doing it before they left.”

We broke apart: Harry went to fetch his cloak to sneak inside with Hermione undetected and Luna and I made our way down the corridor, telling as many people as we could to get out of the way. When we couldn’t get their attention and realized they weren’t listening, I decided I needed to do something drastic. Or well, loud.

I lifted my wand and sent red sparks flying, the corridor packed with students seemed to freeze, but I was already frustrated, and Merlin, people needed to know better than to ignore Ginny Weasley.

“YOU CAN’T COME DOWN HERE!”(ootp 739) I yelled. I was met with doubtful responses,
“No sorry, you’re going ot have to go round by the swiveling staircase someone’s let off Garroting Gas just along here-”

“I can’t see no gas,” called some blonde-haired Ravenclaw.

“That’s because it’s colorless. But if you want to walk through it, carry on, then we’ll have your body as proof for the net idiot who didn’t believe us.”

It was definitely effective; Luna beside me nodded.

“Welts aren’t particularity nice, especially in such a strong wackspurt season, they like big swollen ears much more than regular sized ones, you know.” The students reacted as well as we expected; Luna really was brilliant, only she could shut a room into a shocked awkward silence with one sentence.

“Thank you Luna,” I said. “NOW, ALL OF YOU JUST TURN AROUND AND WALK THE OTHER WAY, THIS CORRIDOR IS UNDER THE INLUENCE OF FRED AND GEORGE WEASLEY. THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT THE BLOODY OLD HAG RUNNING THE SCHOOL NOW SHOULD BE WELCOMED INTO HER OFFICE WITH A RATHER INTERESTING SURPRISE.”

There were a few murmurs and laughs, but people seemed to get the message. That is until I
realized I should have just quit while I was ahead.

“Hem Hem.” Every head in the hall turned to face Umbridge who was looking straight at me with the falsest face of sweetness. “Fred and George Weasley are no longer students at this school.” She smiled, and came closer, “If I didn’t know any better it would seem that you, Miss. Weasley are trying to keep anyone from going past my office. Am I right? Or am I just a bloody old hag?” I maybe should have checked that she wasn’t anywhere near when I let that slip.

“I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Do not lie, you should know by now my tolerance with liars, it’s written right on your hand.”

“If you want to go on to risk it and try your luck, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

The horde of students seemed ready to flee the scene, but the Inquisitorial Squad had just appeared, blocking everyone’s way. Umbridge was just about to turn and retreat, believing me, when Neville came up to us, looking rather worried. (Talk about the worst timing possible.)

“Ginny! Have you seen Harry?” he asked looking around, “I haven’t seen him since he passed out during our exams.”

“Harry Potter?” Umbridge’s attention whirled to Neville.

Neville had just noticed her. “I…I…Uh…yes…you…um…Haven’t seen him have you Ginny? He…uh…didn’t look…good,” Neville mumbled and stuttered nervously, his eyes flipping from mine to the new headmistress of our school.

She looked at me, at Neville, and then behind us towards her office. I held back a gulp.

“Neville, I haven’t-”

“You children think you’re all too smart for me. When I get my hands on that Potter he will be wishing he were with his parents,” She snarled, and I took all my restraint not to slap her across the face, instead I said,

“Really, I find it funny how that’s just the sort of thing You-Know-Who would say, but you wouldn’t know anything about that now, would you?”

“Why you little…” her voice raised an octave or two.

“What, blood traitor?”

She took out her wand, as did I, but the moment she saw mine she seemed to realize what she was doing, and pushed me out of the way and moved her peggy little feet towards her office.

“No-” I started but she called from behind her retreating shoulder,

“Get them.”

Everyone started screaming as the Inquisitorial Squad moved about the crowd. People ran, pushed and shoved themselves out of the way. I grabbed Luna’s hand and dove into the moving swarm. I got stepped on, and my hair was pulled but there was nowhere else to go. That was until I felt a rather rough hand grab my arm, pulling me back.

I fought against it but it was too strong.

Someone had grabbed Luna too; I could see her struggling through the corner of my eye.

“Ginny!” I heard Neville call.

“Let go of me,” I yelled at the Slytherin who was pushing me around.

Neville came up then and started trying to get the person off of me. It turned into an all-out struggle as someone grabbed Neville as well- it was Crabbe. The girl holding me was about twice my size but I wasn’t giving up that easy. Sirius needed my help and I coudnt’ do anything from eternal detention.

The Slytherins dragged us into Umbridge’s office; Ron had appeared suddenly fighting off yet another green-robed git. Umbridge had Harry by his hair, and Malfoy was grinning wildly by the window sill. Hermione was pinned against the wall.

“Got’em all,” (ootp 742) said one of the Slytherins, he seemed to be one of the heads of the squad. “That one,” he poked a thick finger at Neville, “Tried to stop me taking her. So I brought him along too.”

I was desperately trying my hardest to kick the large girl in the shin, but it wasn’t working out so well.

“Good, good,” said Umbridge, watching me, “Well it looks like Hogwarts will shortly be a Weasley-free zone, doesn’t it?”

I stopped my leg at once, looking up at her in complete shock. Malfoy was laughing hysterically behind me but I couldn’t do a single thing about it. They had taken my wand.

It got nasty as she interrogated Harry, accusing him of trying to communicate with Dumbledore who still hadn’t been seen since he left the school. His escape from the Ministry’s grasp had the press in a frenzy and Umbridge on a mad hunt. But no matter what she said Harry refused. It felt too surreal to be there, rather than hear about it later, seeing and witnessing the action was far more frightening than it sounded.

Umbridge sent for Snape, and when he arrived I thanked Merlin that Snape wasn’t able to give her the Veritaserum she was demanding. One drop of it and Harry would tell her everything.

Just as Snape made his exit- without a blink as to how several students were being PHYISICALLY DETAINED by other students, mind you- Harry had a brilliant idea.
“He’s got Padfoot!” Harry yelled, “He’s got Padfoot at the place where it’s hidden!” (ootp 745)
I instantly stopped struggling and met Hermione’s eyes from across the room. Did Snape even know Sirius’ nickname? And the place where it’s hidden? I gave her a questioning stare. She nodded hopefully.

If Snape indeed knew what Harry was trying to tell him, he didn’t let on one bit. His black eyes were slits looking at Harry, his gaunt face tilted incredulously as though Harry had just grown another head.

Umbridge was losing it, “What does he mean, Snape?”

“I have no idea,” Snape said coldly, (ootp 746)finally leaving the room with a snap of the door.

Umbridge was steaming when she came to her resolve. Neville and Ron were both trembling, Luna for once, actually seemed coherently in the moment. Hermione seemed to be calculating Umbridge’s next move and Harry…Harry seemed wickedly furious. Hatred was oozing out of his pores. His scar burned red against his pale skin and that’s all I was looking at when Umbridge said, “The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue.”

I had learned that there were three unforgivable curses from sources like Hermione and Dumbledore but I only knew what two of them were. I had seen Victor Krum under the Imperious Curse and knew all about the Avada Kedavra killing curse. But I had yet to come across the third, the Cruciatus Curse. Unfortunately, I would eventually become well acquainted with it.

So Hermione’s outburst came unexpectedly, “No! Professor Umbridge-it’s illegal!”

Umbridge paid her no mind and raised her wand. Neville let out a stifled cry.

“The minister wouldn’t want you to break the law, Professor Umbridge!” Hermione was twisting and turning trying to get out of the Slytherin’s grasp.

Harry was staring at Umbridge determinedly, and I felt beads of sweat roll down my spine.

“What Cornelious doesn’t know won’t hurt him. He never knew I ordered the dementors after Potter last summer but he was delighted to be given the chance to expel him, all the same.”(ootp 747)

I gasped and Harry heaved with rage. “It was you?”

I looked over at Ron, and noticed he and his detainer, Goyle were standing very close to some aroma candles Umbridge seemed to be fond of…if only Ron could struggle just enough to get Goyle to lose his balance and burn himself…

But just as I was trying to get Ron’s attention to get the plan rolling, Hermione’s outburst came again.

“NO! No-Harry-Harry we’ll have to tell her!”

“No way!” he yelled, clearly as bewildered as the rest of us were.

Umbridge was pleased.

Ron pleaded with Hermione through his gag, but Hermione seemed to been decided. I just had faith her knew what she was doing. I Dolores Umbridge sent dementors to Harry and was associated with people like the Malfoys, there was no way she wasn’t in cahoots with Voldemort. It’d be turning Sirius and the rest of the Order in.

But then, Hermione rambled about a weapon that Dumbledore was supposedly keeping on the grounds, and I knew what she was up to. It was a distraction. Whatever weapon Umbridge was looking for it wasn’t at Hogwarts. Hermione’s performance was award worthy to say the least. Within moments, Umbridge pushed Hermione and Harry out of her office forcing them to show her where it was.

The moment the door shut behind them, we all started struggling again.

“LET HER GO!” Ron roared, as the girl twisted my arm painfully.

“Well, you wouldn’t know how long I’ve waited for this,” Malfoy stepped in from of me, “The weasels, finally being exterminated.”

“When we get out of here Malfoy you are going to wish you were never born a wizard!” I spat.

“How dare you talk to me Weaslette? Aren’t you a bit young to be in such a mess?”

“You’re a right foul git, you and your entire damned family!”

Malfoy sneered and walked over to Neville; I was breathing heavily with rage when Luna leaned closer to me, and saying so softly that not even the people holding us could hear. “What is she doing?”

She was speaking if Hermione of course, “Improvising.”

And we were going to follow her lead, somehow.

And we did, it all happened so fast I don’t exactly remember every detail but I finally was able to get out of the girl’s grasp and we thrashed around before I managed to reach into her robes and stun her. There was a nasty scratch on my cheek that was bleeding but I didn’t care. Ron over powered the Slytherin, grabbing him because everyone in the room was so shocked at what I’d done, that’s when we took our chance.

Luna disarmed most everyone in three shots, and Neville impressed us with a sweet jinx, sending prats all over the room. “Where did they go?” Ron asked.

“I watched them walk out of the castle into the forest,” Luna replied, gazing out the window.

“Ok let’s go,” Neville turned to lead us out of the office but we found Malfoy and two others
behind him, wands out and angered.

I wanted to laugh, I almost did but we didn’t have time for that, Hermione and Harry were out there with Umbridge as we spoke and who knew how long that toad would fall for her story. I didn’t want to think about what would have happened if she figured it out, she had no limits.

So instead I warned him, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, it’s three against four.”

“Well, I guess you can say that, but considering it’s Longbottom, Loony and two Weasleys…”

“That’s not very wise of you, have you forgotten that we have actually been studying Defense Against the Darks Arts this year? Training under Harry himself?”

The two boys behind him dropped their wands a bit looking more nervous after realizing the fact, but Malfoy kept a straight face. I knew he was only faking.

“Potter? Please what does he have to teach you? Nothing.”

“Really? How much do you want to bet?”

Apparently the other two weren’t going to bet much, for they ran out with little yelps like the cowards they were.
Malfoy looked behind him growing paler if that was possible but his wand didn’t waver. He gulped, and we all took a step forward, we could have taken him easily, right then and there but I got the feeling everyone was enjoying it a little more than we should have.

“Well, don’t say we didn’t warn you Malfoy.”

“I’m not scared of you Weasley.”

“If not me,” I said shrugging, “Then my wand.”

I hit him with my Bat-Bogey Hex. I had mastered it finally, and it was impressively efficient. I won’t lie, it was rather a gruesome sight to see Draco Malfoy being attacked by his own bogeys but neither of us looked away. In fact, we laughed, it almost seemed impossible to laugh at a time like that but there we were; He ran away screaming and I was surprised with my own magic, I felt smug.

“Hurry!” We rushed out the door and down the corridors, past hundreds of students watching in wonder as we went. I was so proud that finally I was part of the scene rather than starring in question from a distance like the people were then. When we made it out of the castle Harry and Hermione were still nowhere to be seen, until we encountered them on the outskirts of the forest.

Harry and Hermione were surprised to see us. We quickly explained how’d we’d gotten away and they explained that Umbridge had been taken off by Centaurs in the forest. I never gave it a second thought. The next problem was figuring out how to get to London, apparently Harry’s vision of Sirius had taken place at the Ministry. But when brooms were mentioned I spoke up,

“I have a broom!”(ootp 761) Harry’s was locked up so I thought it would have been a good suggestion, but I didn’t expect, especially after all that had happened, after all I’d done to help, that I would get the response I did.

“Yeah but you’re not coming,” Ron said.

“Excuse me, but I happen to care as much about Sirius as you do!”

“You’re too-” Harry began but I saw where it was going way before I could even think about letting him finish, and it made me furious.

“I’m three years older than you were when you fought You-Know-Who over the Sorcerer’s Stone,” I argued fiercely, “And it’s because of me that Malfoy’s back in Umbridge’s office with giant flying bogeys attacking him-”

“Yea but-” Harry lost his argument in the end, we all ended up coming with him, we were in it together is what we always told him. And he decided against wasting time to fight the inevitable.

We rode on the thestrals; I won’t say it was the most frightening experience but it came pretty darn close. Honestly I never thought twice about getting on a broom stick, dives and all, but at least in that case I could see the broom, then, I was apparently riding on the back of a hideous creature only visible to witnesses of death. I couldn’t see it yet.

But I would, soon enough.

The rush of being in the air again, the adrenaline of the matter at hand, had my stomach thrilling even though I was very aware that Sirius was in danger.
When we reached London, I gratefully dismounted whatever I was on. I had only been to the ministry on a few occasions with my father, but I knew that the circumstances were much different. We all crammed into the telephone box entrance and descended, silently. I remember being so surprised at the event, it wasn’t at all what I imagined a typical Harry, Ron, Hermione adventure to be like.


When we entered the Department of Mysteries Harry’s eyes brightened at the sight of a long corridor and an eerie looking door at the end of it. “Let’s go.” (OOTP) I wasn’t sure how he knew where he was going, but if there was ever a time to blindly follow it was that one.


“Okay, listen,” he said before he made to enter a tall black door at the end of the corridor.
“Maybe…maybe a couple of people should stay here as a- as a look out, and-”


“And how are we going to let you know something’s coming?” I asked, “You could be miles away.”

He gave in instantly and we made our way into a circular room on the other side of the door. There were tall black doors surrounding us, each one of them identical and everything was quiet and surreal just as though we had walked into a dream. Suddenly the ground beneath us moved and the doors began to revolve.

Ron instinctively grabbed my shoulder until the motion ceased. “What was that about?” he asked.

Looking at the symetical room, I realized there was only a small chance of backing out now, since we couldn’t be sure where we had come from. Putting two and two together, I answered, “I think it was to stop us knowing which door we came in through.”

Harry, accepting my suspicion as truth pushed us on. He was right, we had come too far to give up now in any case.

Our mission was to find Sirius and get out. We had no idea of how to execute that, where to start or where to go, we were all just flying blindly. Harry Potter at the lead, and I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else. When I was a little girl I would always say silly things like following Harry to the end of the earth, and at that point I almost wanted to laugh at the memory. Did everything I said have to come true?

To this day, I’m not able to make sense of what lay behind all those doors in the Department of Mysteries, hence the name, but there are things that are hard to forget, like the archway. I have had many dreams of that one room in particular where that ancient, crumbling archway warily stood. That curtain- or veil whatever it was- fluttering, even though there was no wind. I was so enchanted by the mystical artefact that Hermione had to drag me away as well as Neville.

Then there was the room with the prophecies.

“This is it,” Harry said as we arrived, “It’s through here.” There were hundreds of thousands glimmering white orbs, but what should have been such a bright intriguing room was nothing less than a cold basin of eeriness. I could sense something was wrong. The room went on for what seemed like miles but what was beyond the shelves, whatever lay in the corners, was unbeknownst to us.

As Harry led the way we saw that each row was numbered. “You said it was row ninety-seven,” Hermione whispered. I looked up; we were only at fifty three. I kept close to Luna, who was actually more serious and concentrated then I had ever seen her before. Our breathing and our steps were the only sounds I recall. I was frightened, naturally, but I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to be frightened of.

“You know perfectly well.”

I gulped.

“Keep your wands ready.” That came from Harry, though why he thought we would have put them away I have no idea. We kept moving onward, and I checked behind us every few feet. Tom wouldn’t be foolish enough to be torturing Sirius himself in the middle of the Ministry of Magic would he? I shook my head at my naivety. Perhaps not foolish, but brazen enough.
“He’s right down at the end.” Harry said when we reached row ninety-seven. He started moving faster, excited and anxious. But as I looked ahead, I saw nothing but the same dim glow from our wands and the orbs.

“He should be near here…” he sounded as though he was just trying to convince himself, I couldn’t see Sirius anywhere. “Anywhere here…really close…” I saw all the doubt in Hermione’s eyes, there was nothing. Harry was wrong.

“Harry?” she said.

He was determined as ever, Harry. Looking a bit mad as he searched.

“Harry?”

“What?” he snapped.

“I…I don’t think Sirius is here.” No one spoke, Neville was biting his lip, and I looked around row ninety -seven, still looking for my friend.

Then Ron found an orb with Harry’s name on it.

And this is where the story of Harry Potter, the Chosen One begins.

Harry stepped closer to Ron, to see for himself.

“Harry, I don’t think you should touch it,” said Hermione as Neville, Luna and I were trying to see what it said from where we stood.

Harry didn’t listen, and as he picked up the small ball there was a still moment where we all expected something great to happen, something eye opening that would explain the mess in which we found ourselves.

The only thing that happened was Lucius Malfoy stepped out of the darkness.

“Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me.”(OOTP 780)

We all turned swiftly and tight up against each other. We were surrounded; all these hooded people came out of nowhere to point their wands straight at us, and I couldn’t help but let out a gasp. They looked just like the Death Eaters form the Quidditch World Cup. The back of my neck started to drip, even though the room was abnormally icy. There was an argument, Malfoy wanted that prophecy from Harry and he wanted it bad, I didn’t really listen because I was waiting on Harry’s signal.

He was so composed; I watched in awe at how he could stare death in the face and still have dignity to play back. He kept talking to Lucius, and I knew Harry couldn’t just pass that thing over. It would have been too much a risk.

Then there was that woman, my very first encounter with Bellatrix Lestrange. I would hate her and I will still hate her until the day I die, you can have my life on it. She was so wild- so unnaturally animalistic. She was a deranged woman who lived life as though it was a game, in which the lives of people were just little pieces she could handle and use to her advantage.

“I want to know where Sirius is!” demanded Harry.

“I want to know where Sirius is!” Mimicked Lestrange.

Malfoy seemed to be getting frustrated with her antics; he seemed very preoccupied that the object in Harry hands remained intact while she was less refined. Harry was not giving in.

“You need more persuasion then?” she asked when Harry refused yet again. “Very well-take the smallest one,” she ordered the hooded figured around us. “Let him watch while we torture the little girl. I’ll do it.”

I barley had a second to realize what was happening: one moment all the people moved towards me and the next Harry was standing right in front of me, one hand still clutching the prophecy, the other behind his back grabbing mine. I didn’t even have the chance to feel fear. I was reassured by his touch. “You’ll have to smash this if you want to attack any of us,” he spat back at her.

There was more dangerous banter, but it was so long ago it was all lost to the nerves and sadness of that night, they started speaking of Voldemort, and apparently it was he who needed the ball.

Bellatrix was the first to curse at us, but we dodged it and it landed on some of the other orbs which proceeded to crash down upon us.

“DO NOT ATTACK! WE NEEDTHAT PROPHECY!”

Something he didn’t have the last time.

“You haven’t told me what’s so special about this prophecy I’m supposed to be handing over,” said Harry one he regained his composure.

That’s when I noticed Harry was subtly communicating with Hermione.

Malfoy raised an eyebrow, his thin lips trying to hide his amusement, “Dumbledore never told you the reason you bear that scar was hidden in the bowels of the Department of Mysteries??”

“I-What?” Harry turned all his attention back to Malfoy.

“Can this be? “ The Death Eaters began to laugh at this, some secret that was lost on us, but

Harry used that distraction to whisper,

“Smash Shelves,” to us. “When I say now.”

We waited, prepared for Harry’s go. I stood tall and met eyes with Bellatrix making sure she knew I was not one to back down. She smiled at me, and it chilled me more than the room did.

“Someone made a prophecy about Voldemort and me?” I knew the situation was dire and that we really needed to escape, but I knew that at least four out of six of us were really becoming invested in the conversation.

It wasn’t a weapon, it wasn’t a curse, what Voldemort didn’t have last time was…information. A prophecy. Immediately, I realized this was what the Order was protecting. This is where my father was when he was attacked. And then…this is where Harry saw Sirius, not because he was here, but…

“And he's made me come and get it for him?” because Tom wanted Harry to see it and come here. It was a trap. “Why couldn’t he just come down and get this himself?”

“The Dark Lord walk into the Ministry of Magic, when they are so sweetly ignoring his return?” cackled Lestrange. “The Dark Lord, reveal himself to the Aurors when they are wasting their time on my dear cousin?”

Sirius.


Hermione looked to me an then to Neville and Luna and mouthed an incantation. And that’s when Harry yelled, “NOW!”

Everyone turned on their heels and yelled, “Reducto!”

The prophecies all started to sway, and people just froze to stare in shock, “RUN!” and we did. We ran all together with thousands of glass orbs smashing to the ground around us. Somehow my feet kept going, the adrenaline making me feel something I had never even dreamed of. We ran.
I was with Luna and Ron when our group was separated. I heard yells and curses, whenever I spotted a flash of black I would stun and jinx with the first thing that came to my mind.

A rather large man appeared before Ron, knocking him to the ground, I sent a stunner but he blocked it easily. But thankfully, it was three against one. Luna got him unexpectedly from the back sending him crashing harshly to the floor. I grabbed Ron’s hand and we kept moving. I started to worry about finding the others, what if someone was hurt?

“We need to find Hermione,” Ron said taking the lead, I nodded.

“Right behind you.” We were in another room then, they all blended together, one whirl wind of confusion and color. That room had all the planets floating around the sun, it was a rather peculiar sight, like some kind of gigantic model of the universe taking up the entire room. The gravity was different there, there were moments I remember feeling I was hovering just above the ground. Had we been there any other day I would have gladly stayed to see it some more, but at the exact moment we paused three death eaters entered the room behind us shutting the door.

“Now,” one of them said, “No more games of tag, children, you are all coming with us.”

“Go to hell,” said Ron. The room was so dark; I could hardly see Luna standing right beside me.

“Hide behind Jupiter,” I whispered, and she nodded succeeding in sneaking off unnoticed.

“Weren’t there three of you just now?” one of the death eaters asked, coming closer. Ron stepped in front of me but I pushed him aside.

“I think you all just might be mental.”

“STUPEFY!” Ron yelled at one of them, and we both split form where we were standing dashing under two of the models, the curse hit the shorter man.

“You can’t hide! IMPEDIMENTA!!” he shouted missing me by inches.

“PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!” I cried back, watching the white light escape my wand but it was no use.

I heard the other death eater cry out a curse I had never heard before and Ron screamed in agony, I turned my head reflexively allowing the death eater after me to grab my ankle.

I desperately dove under the nearest planet hoping my momentum would make the Death eater lose his grip, but to no avail. The gravity made my movement practically impossible.

“Let GO!” I yelled trying to inch further beneath Pluto. But he only grabbed harder and I heard my bone crack, at first I didn’t feel the pain, the rush of adrenaline over powered it.

I only slightly saw Luna explode the planet above me while I covered my face with my arms. The man holding my foot had no chance, he didn’t see her coming. I stood and ran awkwardly towards the nearest door, knowing Luna was dragging Ron behind me; I fell out of the door, as a sudden jolt of sharp pain reached my foot. I landed with a thud at Harry’s feet, the sharp nail being dug into my foot pushed its way up to my knee, or at least that’s what I felt like. The pain was all I could think about.

“Ron! Ginny- are you all-?”

Ron started speaking some rubbish, a side effect of the curse he was hit with, but I couldn’t listen enough to try and make sense of it.

“Gin?” Harry voice asked fearfully, “What happened?”

I could only shake my head, the pain was to sharp and intense to speak, I slid to the floor
grabbing my throbbing ankle.

“It think her ankle is broken,” explained Luna, “I heard something crack. Four of them chased us into a dark room full of planets; it was a very odd place, some of the time we were just floating in the dark-”

'Harry, we saw Uranus up close!' said a blubbering Ron. “Get it, Harry? We saw Uranus--ha ha ha–“

“Anyway, one of them grabbed Ginny’s foot, I used Reductor Curse and blew up Pluto in his face, but-”

She went on to explain about Ron but it was time to get a move on.

“Luna can you help Ginny?”

“Yes,” she reached down to grab me, but I had enough.

“It’s only my ankle! I can do it myself!” But when I stood my damned body betrayed me, and thankfully Luna caught me before I hit the ground. I couldn’t get very far. Stuck in a room filled with more mysteries Harry ran on ahead leading the Death Eaters away from us. Neville followed him closely. Luna sat me in the corner, unseen in the dark, the death eaters following Harry and Neville into the adjoin room, the room with the veil. Paralyzed where I sat, an unconscious Hermione on the ground before me and my brother out of his wits I was rendered useless. Luna surveyed Hermione and came to the conclusion she was only knocked out.

Desperate to see what was happening, I pathetically crawled to the open doorway and peered down the stone steps into the large room below me. I watched it all. I watched Neville as he confronted Lestrange, wishing I could support him in facing the woman who had tortured his parents mad.

The confrontation did not end well.

“Crucio!” she yelled and Neville collapsed in agony. I screamed.

Neville sobered only a bit and Harry, seeing no other way out held his hand out to Malfoy, ready to surrender.

But like light conquering darkness, Sirius, Lupin, Mad-eye, Tonks and Kingsley came running into the room, bewildered by the mess the four of us looked. There was no time to explain.

“Down there!” I screamed pointing them in the direction of the chamber through the doorway at which I sat. They rushed down the stone steps.
Harry still had the prophecy tightly grasped in his hand.

The battle before me was something I still can’t get out of my head, streaming lights of color flashing miles a minute, people falling, flying, apparating, swift movements and incredible form. These were the members of the Order of the Phoenix, and Harry fit right in. He seemed so in tune with Sirius as they fought side by side. As the rest of us huddled together I couldn’t keep my eyes off him; his magic was so quick to strong.

Things changed quickly.

The prophecy fell and diminished into nothing.

Dumbledore appeared. Barely looking at Luna and myself, he passed us as though knowing exactly where he was going, utterly unfazed by the scene.

Luna abandoned Hermione and came to my side to watch.

“That’s Sirius Black,” she said.

“Yes.”

“He’s who we came to save?”

“Yes.”

She didn’t bother asking for more explanation. She was watching him strangely a dark look falling across her dirty face.

“Luna,” I gasped through the pain of my ankle, “What is it?” She tilted her head to the side.

I followed her gaze, watching Sirius too when suddenly a green light came from Bellatrix’s wand; it hit him squared in the chest.

As quickly as everything turned to a rush, everything slowed to a halt. I gasped and thought of the pain that must have cause him, but I was waiting for him to shoot something back.

He didn’t.

He just stood there a baffled expression on his face. Harry turned to Bellatrix with an odd look of disbelief in his face. I tried to remember what curse she used, I listened to hear if maybe it would come back to me…Ava-something…

And then all the pain from my ankle disappeared as the blood fell from my face. I turned back to Sirius just in time to see him slowly fall back, dead weight, into the veil and dissapear. Harry watched, frozen, and Lupin stopped what he was doing.

Bellatrix smiled.

And all I saw was the bright green of the curse etched in my memory.

“Come on Sirius….” I whispered. “Come back….get out..” he didn’t. And I had no more words in my mouth, there was a buzzing in my ear.

I felt nothing.

I didn’t even hear Harry’s scream of terror.

Next thing I remember Harry was running after Bellatrix. “SHE KILLED SIRIUS!” he bellowed. “SHE KILLED HIM-I’LL KILL HER!”

His words sent chills through my blood. Sirius couldn’t be dead. He just couldn’t.
Bellatrix Lestrange ran past us throwing a curse behind her that hit Luna in the stomach and had her groaning in pain. I shot back at Lestarange but she was too fast, I only singed the hem of her robes. Harry flew past and all I could utter was, “Harry-what-?” before he was gone again.


It’s painful to summon up these memories, harder to write them down even, but the last while we stayed down in the Ministry was all blurred, all I knew, all I felt, was Sirius.
Lupin’s expression confirmed it. He was dead.

As always the first step is denial, and like Harry I didn’t want to believe it was true. Soon after Harry ran out of the room, everything went dark and quiet. And it made it easy to pretend that nothing had just happened, that Sirius would walk through those doors again, and I made myself believe he would. Hermione was still out cold, and Ron was rocking back and forth I laughter. Luna was curled on the floor as I tried to help her and Neville was hunched over Hermione trying to get her to regain consciousness while wiping blood off his own face.

“Is it over?” Luna whispered when she caught her breath.

Dumbledore reappeared and disappeared in a breath following where Harry went.

“I… don’t… know,” I replied, with no emotion in my voice. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from where Dumbledore had just been. Somewhere in the distance we heard a blood curdling scream. But no one commented.

“What were you lot thinking??!!” Tonks appeared right next to me bending down to meet my level. “Ginny! Guess I’m not surprised that you found your way into this, what’s going on here?” she said gesturing to Ron and Hermione. I could see something was wrong, she wasn’t smiling and there wasn’t any light in her eyes. Her usually bright pink hair was deep, dark and depressing.

“Tonks what’s happening?”

“We don’t have time Ginny.” Lupin came up behind her.

“The hell we don’t! Where’s Sirius?” Tonks looked away.

“He’s dead Ginny,” Remus finally said.

I tried to act as though I was fine, not letting the pain show, “What’s happening with Harry?” I persisted though it seemed he didn’t want to waste time telling us what we wanted to know.

“Remus it won’t hurt to let them know, they’ve been through so much already.”

“Well then up! All of you let’s go. We need to get you back to the school.”

“You…you…worthless…deviant little… you and your degusting blood-mixed friends!”

All breath left my body as I felt the surge of power: Tom’s surge of power. It was boiling and furious. I could feel his aura vibrating through the walls.

“All year I’ve been after that damned Prophecy and now- now-!!!”
I was queasy and lost any balance I could muster. Luna understood it as my ankle bothering me and wrapped one of my arms around her shoulders. Tonks clued in, helping me with my other side. Neville helped Ron up and Lupin picked up Hermione.

“You-Know-Who is here.” I said.

“How do you know?” asked Tonks.

I met eyes with Lupin.

He replied with an understanding nod. “It’s rather obvious, I think,” he said.

“He knows about the Prophecy,” I continued.

Neville paled considerably, almost dropping Ron.

Lupin nodded once again. “Dumbledore will keep Harry safe. Harry still has Dumbledore.”
I didn’t miss the deep sorrow in his voice. I knew no one was to say anymore on the matter. No one was going to speak. I turned my head as much as I could behind be to steal one last glance at the veil where I last saw him.

Harry may have had Dumbledore but he didn’t have Sirius.

And it may have been our fault.
****

Madam Pomfrey didn’t start letting us out until two days after we arrived from the Ministry. Once we sat through the story of Harry’s latest encounter with Voldemort, or well Tom to me, and how he was brutally possessed she said that the post-traumatic stress would hit us soon. And of course she wanted us there when it happened rather than around other unprepared students.

However, I had a feeling she didn’t realize who she was talking to, we were all used to this sort of thing, maybe not Luna or Neville; Ron Hermione and I had seen worse. That didn’t free us though and as though all odds were against me I was the last to be released due to my broken ankle. We all knew Madam Pomfrey could mend a broken bone in a heartbeat, but she hung onto that excuse for as long as possible.

“Well, we’re off,” Ron said as he and Hermione stood from their cots.

“Yeah, yeah, be free,” I sighed.

Ron walked over to me with his hands in his pockets, “Do you need anything? You want us to go get you some real food?”

“Nah, I’ll leave that to mom when she gets here.”

“Are you sure?” Hermione asked.

“I’ll be fine, go find Harry.” They both smiled reluctantly and left.

I was glad, because even though I was fairing with the so called post-traumatic stress fairly, I still wasn’t okay, I needed to be alone so that no one would see just how upset I was. Sirius was gone, and he wasn’t coming back. The only one who would actually listen to me- aside from Hermione. The one who made me laugh and feel important; my friend.

I had told him everything about the Chamber, though I had never told anyone else, and everything I told him died with him. It now only rested with Harry. No matter how I tried, the vision of Sirius’ intrepid fall into the veil, disappearing from our sight forever would not escape my mind. A terrible ending to a terrible year.

“Hey Ginny,” came a chirpy voice from the entrance of the hospital wing. I quickly composed myself and turned to face Michael rather crossly.

“Michael.”

“How’s it going?”

“How’s it going?” I retorted, “How‘s it going? I’ve been in this bed for the last two days, where have you been all this time?”

He came closer, as though he hadn’t a worry in the world. Which he didn’t. “Um… well I was just down at the pitch with the Ravenclaw team. They’re really shaping up; trust me we won’t be losing to Gryffindor again.”

“Is that really all you care about?” I asked annoyed.

“No…but Cho…she’s well…” oh of course she was still hanging around.

“Do you even know what’s happened? The Dark Lord has returned and this time there’s even more physical proof, so you can’t doubt it this time Michael, there are more important things to worry about!”

He stopped walking, “Yeah and you went with Potter and his little elite group to try to do something heroic. I’m guessing you’re going to hold that over me now too?” The sarcasm in his voice was insulting.

“You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about! You haven’t seen, you don’t know what or why we were there, so don’t judge me! Sirius-” I stopped dead.

It hit me like a full speed bludger, I couldn’t say anything. Just like I hadn’t for years, I couldn’t speak of the Diary, not only because it hurt but because there were so many secrets involved, I couldn’t tell a single soul that I knew where Sirius Black was, that would have killed him instantly. I couldn’t even say that he died in our attempt to save him. I knew I would never trust Michael enough to explain any of that to him, so what was the point in continuing a relationship that was doomed without trust?

“God fine! This is what I get for dating a Gryffindor.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Well I’m glad you feel that way, because you won’t have to deal with dating a Gryffindor any longer. Just get out Michael, go find Cho or something.” I really didn’t care at that point.

“You know what? I will.” And he turned to walk out the door, I felt a bit relieved, he was turning out to be a pain in my side. When he opened the door we were both surprised to see Professor Dumbledore standing on the other side just about to enter.

“Ahh, Mr. Corner,” he said, “Do have a good day.”

Michael looked back at me with wide eyes, I gave him no expression. He turned back to the Headmaster, “Yes Professor,” he nodded and continued out to the corridor.

No matter how long I would know Dumbledore I would never cease to be in awe at how simply majestic and mysterious he could be. Sometimes I felt like he wasn’t even real, he was just a figment of my imagination spewing wisdom into every dark corner he comes across. He walked towards my bed.

“Good afternoon Professor.”

He watched my steadily for a moment but then replied, “Better than most Miss. Weasley.”

I averted my gaze; I knew that was his way of telling me that everything was and would be ok, that things could have ended much worse, and all the other generic clichés. But he had a way with twisting everything into new ways that will have you pondering your intelligence for days, as well as your sanity.

But everything was not ok. Sirius was dead.

When he made it to the foot of my bed I spoke again, “You’ve only just missed them, they were released today, but Harry was let go last night and no one has seen him since.”

His eyes narrowed behind his iconic spectacles, “What makes you think that I am here to see you brother and Mrs. Granger?”

My head tilted a little, “Why else would you be here Sir?”

“Didn’t you consider that maybe I was here to see you?”

I could only blush at this, “I guess not.”

“Well I did.” He looked down at my healed, yet bandaged ankle. “How are you feeling?”

“Perfect, Madam Pomfrey fixed me up in no time, but she still won’t let me leave.”

“Rest is important; I trust you know that.”

“Yes professor.”

There was a moment of silence. “But you Miss. Weasley, how are you feeling?”

It wasn’t surprising that he would use such cryptic language, I couldn’t remember a time when he didn’t speak in such ways. I saw where that conversation was headed.

“I’m just fine.” I lied.

He nodded once and sat in the chair beside my bed where my mother had previously been. “Miss. Weasley, I had a very close relationship with Sirius Black, I’m not sure if you knew that, but I was the only person he would talk to after he was rescued. He trusted me when he had no one else, only Remus.”

I smiled with no happiness in it, he had to go and bring up Sirius two minutes into the conversation. “I don’t find that very hard to believe, you’re the most trusted man I know.”

His eyes twinkled, “You’d be surprised that not many people would agree with that, but thank you, nevertheless.” He paused for a moment and then continued, “I had a long conversation with him just recently- just before the Ministry- had I known it would be our last I would have done things
differently.” It was suddenly hard for me to swallow. “Sirius was very fond of you, you know.”

“I figured,” I managed.

He patted my hand, “It’s alright to miss him; I can’t believe you wouldn’t be sad right now, by the way he spoke, it seemed you were very close to him as well.”

I looked down to my hand, steadied myself and spoke, “I’m no Harry, but he was a great friend to me, we were close and…and I miss him so much.”

“We shouldn’t hide what we feel, there’s no point, especially when all feelings are mutual.”

I watched him with a blank face, “Have you tried that on Harry?”

Dumbledore smirked, “Ahh yes, Sirius did speak much about you, of course I’ve always known this of you since the incident three years ago, but he said it was one of your finer qualities. Yet, something he worried about.”

“I’m not sure what you mean.”

“Mrs. Weasley, isn’t it true you hate to show any kind of weakness?” If I didn’t want to talk about Sirius, then this was the second thing I least wanted to talk about. Yes, that was obviously true but it sounded different in his words. He waited patiently for my reply.

“Someone has to keep it together right?”

“You have a point. But we all have faults, we all show weakness; it is how we learn about ourselves, through the darkest of times.”

I nodded, “But professor, during those times, like now, we have to keep moving don’t we? We can’t look back now with this war starting we can’t break apart! That’s what he wants isn’t it?”

“That’s exactly what he wants, yes.” I sat a bit stunned at his blunt response.

“He doesn’t want us to have one moment of peace, one moment of happiness, and I think he’s doing a good job of that Sir.”

Dumbledore raised his chin. “Miss, Weasley, a foolish man sees happiness in the distance, but a wise man grows it under his feet.”

Again I stayed quiet as I took in his meaning, he truly was a brilliant man, but I was determined. “It should be easier to make your own happiness.”

He squeezed my arm, “If only, but it isn’t healthy to dwell on what isn’t.”

“So I won’t.”

He smiled at my response and I decided he would see through my bastion front anyway. “Professor, I miss him more than anything,” I whispered.

“As do many.” With that he sat back and reached for something in his robes, “Sirius left all
his belongings and inheritance to Harry.”

“That’s wonderful,” I said softly wondering why he would bother telling me such a thing.

“However, there was one item that was not accounted for, it doesn’t have any importance, but I didn’t have the heart to dispose of it. I thought he’d like you to have it.”

When Dumbledore opened his hand, it was all I could do not to gasp. It was his chain; the one Sirius wore beneath his clothing every day. Sirius had shown it to me once when I spotted it, a simple silver chain with a silhouette of a dog that resembled his animagus.

“A very masculine statement,” I teased him the summer before. But now I felt the irony playing with me, now it was the biggest statement of all.

“Ginny?”

My head snapped up. “I asked you if you wanted to keep it.”

I couldn’t help but feel my eyes sting, I was about to break and if front of Albus Dumbledore no less, I didn’t dare speak, so I nodded.

The moment it touched my palm my strength dissolved and my tears burst, I couldn’t breathe. The silver was so beautiful, so simple but a forever reminder of how much we lost. My sobs shook me as I closed my hand around it; there was no point in gaining composure anymore.

One of my closest friends had been murdered right in front of me, he was gone and I was here in a hospital bed completely healed, where was the justice in that? How could we find happiness if the odds were always against us? Dumbledore said nothing as I cried, just sat with his hand still resting on my arm, somehow he knew what I was thinking,

“We must try.” I didn’t even bother to ask how he knew. I had long adjusted to the mystery of Albus Dumbledore. “Trying never hurts, the only thing that does, is giving up,” he sighed, but for some odd reason the newly found mischief in his eyes made me realize the double meaning in his words, giving up trying to be happy obviously hurts because the only thing that comes out of it is pain and sorrow. But what else could he mean? What else am I giving up on? “Yes Miss. Weasley, he told me very much about you.”

I looked up at him as he stood, finally understanding what he meant. “Well as it seems, Harry does in fact need someone right now, I‘m not sure if I’m the right person for that but I will have to try until someone else comes along,” he didn’t even bother making his glance at me not obvious. Sirius must have told him everything.

“Thank you Professor,” I called to his when he made his leave.

“You’re very welcome.”

The moment he left I tied the chain around my neck.
____________________

We were all on the train home in no time and it seemed that though we all had long ways to go we were acting like we were pulling ourselves up out of the mess hoping it would all be ok. It was an eventful trip. With the whole D.A. standing up to Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle, they were slugs by the time we were done with them. But Neville, Hermione, Ron, Harry and I found ourselves in a compartment for the longer portion of the ride.

“Hey, Harry,” Ron nodded to the door. I looked up from the Quibbler I was reading and saw Cho walking past the window. I rolled my eyes but sought out Harry he looked but then went back to the chess game he was playing with Ron, clearly not interested in her.

I lowered my magazine a bit.

“What’s-er-going on with you and her anyway?” asked Ron.

“Nothing.” I could tell he was being truthful, and it didn’t seem like he was all that bothered either. I wish I could say my heart didn’t pick up in speed, but I’d be lying. I tried to concentrate on the page before me, knowing well that the conversation wasn’t any of my business.

“I-er-heard she’s going out with someone else now.” Hermione put down her newspaper, and as I put two and two together.

I wasn’t going to say anything.

“You’re well out of it mate.” My brother clapped him on the back, Harry didn’t seem affected by this information at all, and it was a good thing too, he shouldn’t have to worry about her anymore. She didn’t deserve a second thought. “I think you’d want someone a bit more cheerful.”

Cheers to that Ron.

Harry shrugged and made a play, “She’s probably cheerful enough with someone else.”

It wasn’t my place to say anything.

“Who is she with now anyway?” Ron asked.

Who was I kidding? I couldn’t resist.

“Michael Corner,” I said glad that my brother gave me perfect entrance to the topic.

“Michael-but-,” Ron turned to me, “But I thought you were going out with him!”

“Not anymore. He didn’t like Gryffindor beating Ravenclaw at Quidditch and got really sulky, so I ditched him and he ran off to comfort Cho instead.”

I acted interested in my magazine again, pretending not to see Ron’s over the moon face. “I always thought he was a bit of an idiot,” he said, “Good for you. Just chose someone-better-next time.” And there it was again, that thoughtful look I hadn’t seen in years, not since Fred and George were joking around the night they took Harry from the Dursley’s, I couldn’t forget it, this time his eyes slipped over to Harry. Gosh my brother was so odd!

“Well I’ve chosen Dean Thomas, would you say that’s better?” Not that I cared one bit what he thought.

"WHAT?"

I just ignored him and went back to what I was reading, every now and again touching the chain around my neck.

Reviews 136
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear