Search:

SIYE Time:23:34 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Never Sniff A Gift Hippogriff
By Spenser Hemmingway

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, The Marauders Map Challenge (2008-6)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 12
Summary: ** Winner of Best Overall in the The Marauders Map Challenge **
** Winner of Best Secrets, a tie, in the The Marauders Map Challenge **
One should never sniff a hippogriff, whether or not it’s a gift. Do you have any idea what those things eat? Ginny has other concerns however, and very little patience for annoying conundrums...or their associated causes. Someone is messing with history--hers and Harry’s. It’s suddenly not the same one from Harry’s biography and that adds to the mystery. Secrets, exploding popinjays and more secrets? I could tell, but then I’d have to make you eat Uncle Theodore’s chili.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5544



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Never Sniff A Gift Hippogriff

By Spenser Hemmingway


“Eventually I grew up, a fact that surprised many of
our neighbors, some of whom lost good money betting against
that likelihood.”
–-Patrick MacManus



Have you ever noticed how some holiday traditions seem to develop nicely over time, building upon past years and becoming so much better each time they’re evoked? Yeah, I have too. Molly Weasley’s yearly Boxing Day feast is a prime example, with the garlic/basil roast beast, three-brandy punch and the impromptu elfin choir singing for their share of the supper. Of course, then we have Hermione holding the little guys off at wandpoint when they try to take over the cleanup chores. The house-elves always insist there is no such thing as a free meal. On the other hand, Hermione has always countered that there is such a thing as a free elf (and the rules require the employers to serve the help that day). Arthur’s loud recitation of Twas the Night before the After-Christmas Mall Sale always caps off the evening. Each year seems better than the last.

Naturally there are other annual conventions we could probably do without. For example, we have the angry Santa display in the Hogsmeade apothecary shop that always scared my children growing up, and still has that effect on the grandkids. Despite numerous complaints, the thing is back every December without fail. Luna’s godfather has actually been amused with seeing his likeness that way, even with the smoke coming out of the ears, but he did have to take action once when the thing began hurling candy canes at people.

I suppose there are a few others that we could retire, but obviously never will; Neville’s annual Christmas accident with the subsequent visit to the Healers; Seamus Finnigan’s exploding pumpkin pie; Hermione spending a good hour defrosting Ron after his attempts to play too much Quidditch in the snowy air with the grandchildren. I won’t elaborate, and I don’t understand why they don’t like it, but my New Year’s Eve chicken in a lampshade dance has never been too popular either.

One tradition, which I have fiercely and yet unsuccessfully fought over the years, is the world’s need to have me up and about by four o’clock on Christmas morning–-every Christmas morning. When we were younger it was the kids wanting to open their gifts. The curse hasn’t gone away even with Luni and me on the far side of fifty, and our children having long since grown and acquired their own anxious little tikes. Yes folks, this is my universe again–-I got the girl and we fixed Rolf up with a truck stop bimbo from Kansas City. Anyway, as sure as Neville finding poison holly or being bitten on the…uhm…the elbow by a rabid reindeer, there will be a broken water pipe, a dog needing a walk, or someone stuck in the chimney yet again to get me out of bed too early. Ah, then there was last year when…no, I’m getting ahead of myself.


*****



Bang, bang, bang!

“Oh, for the love of Saint Manifred the Bean (patron saint of all coffee baristas)! Stop pounding on our door! It’s six in the morning…Christmas morning.” The fact that (as usual) I’d been up for almost two hours was irrelevant.

Years before, when we gave Chapterhouse Cottage to our daughter and new son-in-law, we hadn’t minded a bit moving back into instructor’s quarters at Hogwarts. With my being one of only two married professors at the school, ours was a large and very comfortable suite of rooms. Unfortunately, it was three flights down to admit any visitors to the Muggle Studies tower.

Bang, bang, bang!

“I’m coming already! Great grief! You’re going to break the door! The castle’s old and tired!” I yelled. “Yeah, and so am I,” I quietly added.

The last time we’d had such an insistent visitor, I ended up almost killed by an angry Muggle rugby team, and then shanghaied into a wedding ceremony–-just for answering the off-hours pounding. I stopped dead in my tracks. No, that couldn’t happen again…could it? I held my breath and yanked open the door.

“Ginny? Holy reduced fat, low sodium kosher pastrami! What are you…? No, no, no! Come on in here right now! You look three-quarters frozen. What are you doing out so early? Where’s Harry? Hey, who’s baking the pies for Hermione’s Christmas brunch? Come on upstairs and we’ll get you something warm to drink. Oh…and please answer the third question first.”

She couldn’t have been too cold since she laughed without her teeth chattering. Ginny didn’t speak again, but rather led the way for us back up to our rooms, pealing off her heavy coat and old but still-beloved Gryffindor scarf as we went. I excused myself inside to go exchange my robe and Snoopy jammies for some real clothes. When I came back out, I was thrilled to find the fire and a couple mugs of great-smelling coffee waiting for me. I grabbed the fresh croissants from the kitchen before joining her at our overstuffed chairs.

“I really should apologize Spenser. I haven’t slept well the last few months. Something has been bothering me and… Well, after we put James’ twins to bed last night…yes, Albus and Jennifer are minding the pies this morning…I finally realized what it was.”

She had my attention then (no, not just at the mention of her fabulous moonberry pastries), and I set down my cup, leaning forward in the chair. “This involves either Luni or me? She’s down at the train station meeting the Express. Nicholas, Sara, and the last of the grandkids are coming in with it.”

“I’m amazed she still allows you to call her that,” Ginny joked. She knew it was an affectionate me only nickname for my wife. “I have a story to tell you Spenser. It’s up to you whether or not you want to write it down. It involves a most curious and extremely annoying woman named Mrs. Daphnia Jensdahl. I understand that you’ve met.”

The room was suddenly several degrees cooler. It was a name from far in my past and one Ginny couldn’t possibly have heard in any way even remotely associated with our current lives. The woman was long dead.

“Okay…is this going to be a long story Ginny?” Her smile scared me a bit then.

“That depends on whether or not, and to what degree, you are willing to help.”

“I’ve got the feeling I’m not going to like this.”

“I’ve got the feeling you’re going to hate it.”

“Thank you very much. Refill your coffee cup Ginny. You can start off the story while we take a walk.”


*****



It all began the fall of nineteen ninety-three Spenser; long before you came to Hogwarts from America.

“Finally, I would like to introduce to all of you Professor Jensdahl, late of the Nanook School of Wizardry in the northern Yukon, Canada. She will be taking up the duties of N.E.W.T. proctor for our seventh-years; instructing them in the delicate art of test-taking.” Albus Dumbledore–-he was our headmaster that year, my second at the school–-he turned to our newest guest and seemed to be puzzled for a brief moment before continuing. “Professor Jensdahl will be unable to remain with us continuously, and in fact will be keeping rooms in Hogsmeade.” There was that bewildered look again, but much more intense I thought. “She has, however, volunteered to also act as a tutor-at-large for our entire student body. Please join me in welcoming her.”

There was polite applause as you would expect, but for the most part simple apathy, except from those who would be taking the examinations the following spring. At that point, I couldn’t realize what an important yet troublesome part Jensdahl would eventually take in both Harry’s and my life.

The woman looked to be in her early sixties at best, with a hard, square, chiseled face, oversize glasses similar to what Madame Trelawney wore, the most ridiculous outfit I’d ever seen (or would see until Ron’s dress robes) and long, gray, unkempt hair that didn’t appear to have been combed in decades. She wasn’t someone I would go out of my way to dislike, but neither was she a woman with whom I’d expect to drink tea.

“Blimey, there’s something you don’t see every day,” George began.

“A woman as ugly as Uncle Seymour’s pet water buffalo,” Fred finished, just as if they’d rehearsed it. You know what they’re like Spenser. Maybe they had. It was a perfectly accurate appraisal, nonetheless.

When the Great Hall had quieted again, which in fact only took five or six seconds, Professor Jensdahl stood and spoke to us–-the essential “Pleased to be here,” and “Looking forward to working with you,” drivel. You know my cousin Maggie and her family had settled in Canada, and I understand the Yukon is a fair distance from Calgary, Alberta, but the difference in accents was striking. Perhaps it was the glasses–-the professor seemed to be studying our table…us intensely, almost as if she’d heard my brothers’ comment.

She took her seat again, and, after a few more announcements from the headmaster the feast began with its normal gusto. You’ll remember this was the year everyone believed Sirius was still a killer, and, since his escape, was out to murder Harry as well. The school was in virtual lockdown. Harry seemed to be distracted by it and withdrawn from everyone, myself included, with the exception of Hermione and my dear, sweet brother Ron. Yes, Spenser that did hurt me…greatly. I don’t care what Harry’s biography says; he and I cared for each other, even then–-just not willing or able to admit it, even to ourselves.

I, in fact, welcomed the hurt. Yes, can you believe that? I welcomed it because it was my own distraction. It was one I desperately needed then. I was much lonelier without my friend, although in lieu, Luna did allow me to lean heavily upon her at times. I was worried about Harry and the evil man who was seeking him out. Do you know how much Sirius laughed later when he heard how I’d referred to him as that?

Now I was fixated on this new professor for some strange, unexplainable reason. Who was she really? I wondered. I turned to Harry across the table, hoping to pose the question as a means to break the tension, but our golden trio was gone.

After the meal and a brief visit with Luna, where I threatened another of the Ravenclaws with antlers for calling her Loony–-you’re the only one permitted that in its special context–-I pulled myself slowly up the stairs to our tower. I was exhausted, but I was also scared. I forced myself to concentrate on Harry, the danger he might be in, how he was cutting me off, and how Professor Jensdahl might affect the situation. How could she possibly? She was just a new and very minor staff member.

I rubbed the salt into my wounds, but it didn’t help. I laid my head on my pillow that night, too tired to even change out of my robes, and was soon overwhelmed with the nightmares again. Yes Spenser, they were about what happened with the diary and in the Chamber of Secrets. I wasn’t able to escape them.


*****



Now I want you to understand something important Spenser. I’m neither a writer nor a storyteller the way you are, so you’ll have to have to bear with me if I jump forward at times. There are also parts that I could only piece together after conversations with Harry and the others. You understand, don’t you? I appreciate your confidence in me…I think. I hope this is as accurate as you feel it should be.

To continue, I immediately threw myself into my schoolwork that term; working with a fervor that would make Hermione proud if she’d broken away from Harry and Ron long enough to talk with me occasionally. I didn’t have the bad dreams every night, but it certainly seemed that way and I couldn’t tell you then or now how few times they didn’t come. I usually felt as if I had the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Don’t get me wrong. I did have friends and they were good friends. I hope that you didn’t think that’s what I meant. They simply weren’t confidants, and that was exactly what I needed. I couldn’t talk to my brothers, even if they did want me around them. Harry was never there either. That left Luna, and she was a godsend.

We would go for long walks and could talk about anything. Mostly however, she knew how to listen and to ask me just the right questions at just the right times. I hope that you never forget what a special person she is, Spenser. Luna was wonderful, and exactly what I needed, but only a small part of it. Do you understand that? Let me think a moment. Yes, I have just the case-in-point, and what’s more, it’s a critical incident in this story.

This one especially important occasion was in late October just after the first deposits of snow and the subsequent freeze. The cold weather came earlier that year. Luna and I were on one of our long strolls–-this one being along the lakeshore in an area known for its marshes and feeding streams. It was the absolute limit of where we were permitted because of security concerns. I was pouring my heart out to Luna, but not feeling better for it this time.

“So, you see Luna, I wasn’t able to properly dispose of Tom’s diary in Myrtle’s toilet after all. If Harry hadn’t… No, I’ve told you all of this before haven’t I, and more than a few times? Luna, may I ask you a very personal question, in addition to whether I may ask you a personal question or not?” I had anticipated such a response.

“You want to know if this especially chilly weather will threaten the exploding popinjay crop? I don’t believe so.”

“No, I was… Exploding popinjays?” I had to laugh, and it felt good. “Actually Luna, I was simply wondering how…why you put up with my insistent yapping. You’ve been such a good friend.”

“Oh, is that all you wanted to know? That’s easy Ginny. I do it because.”

That was it. She started walking again, and after shaking the cobwebs out of my head I moved to catch up.

“Because? What do you mean because?” Luna looked over to me again, cocked her head and gave me that smile you know so well.

“Because,” she repeated without missing a step.

“Because is not a reason!” I loudly told her but smiling myself and trying not to laugh.

“It sounds like a perfectly logical reason to me actually.”

Luna and I both stopped, jumped, and turned there on the spot at the unexpected interruption. Neither of us were trained in, or experienced with, drawing our wands quickly yet. I somehow knew that I didn’t need to, but regardless the woman had surprised us, and we didn’t like it.

“Professor Jensdahl? How long have you been behind us?” I couldn’t remember having seen her since the Welcoming Feast, but there she stood in a repulsive winter’s coat (equally the match of that hideous dress we’d seen the woman in that night), grinning and staring down at us.

“I’ve been here long enough. Don’t worry Miss Weasley. My discretion is legendary. As I was saying, Loony’s reasons are always good ones, even when you don’t understand them at first.”

“Don’t ever call her that Professor!” I said in a low and yes threatening voice.

I was starting to reconsider disliking the woman. Luna preserved me from detention when she took my arm and our eyes met. The slightest nod of her head called my attention to the ground behind us. The professor hadn’t left any tracks in the snow as she walked up. Curiosity trumped my anger.

“I’m sorry Miss Lovegood. Luna really is a very pretty name. There are no tracks behind me because I Apparated here. We must be far enough away from the castle to allow it.” We weren’t, but I wasn’t going to argue the point with her. “I understand that you have family in Canada Ginny. Your cousin Maggie and her parents I believe. My, my, my…you do look so incredibly alike, even as distant of relatives as you are.”

The professor’s gaze was strong and unyielding, but not threatening in the least. I was being flooded with my own confusion as much as with the questions rising up in my head. How did she know who we were, and those things about my family? Why had she called me by my first name? All at once I was annoyed again. This time with the absolute certainty that I would never get a satisfactory answer to any of my inquiries, and Jensdahl knew it.

“Ah, I’m intruding on a private moment, aren’t I?” she said in an amused tone, almost as if reading my mind. She must be performing Legilimency, I suddenly realized. Was she? Wouldn’t I have felt something in my head if she’d done that? “Please be careful in the marshes Ginny. There’s just a bit of ice over the shallows with a dusting of snow to cover them.” The woman took a step closer as if to press a point. She was. “Someone or something could easily fall through.” Our eyes locked yet again, and a heartbeat later, without a sound, Jensdahl was gone. I had never seen a human Disapparate like that before.

“Ginny, how did…?” I never got the chance to answer Luna, even if I’d had one for what had just happened.

“Ahooooha Howooola!” came the desperate, mournful cry from just ahead of us.

If it hadn’t been broad daylight, maybe Remus would have come running toward the sound. Instead Luna and I were doing just that. The someone or something Jensdahl had mentioned was in trouble. She had known. She had expected us to help. She had vanished just as our list of questions doubled in length. Two dozen paces, through the trees, and we saw him.

“Luna, there…look! That big black dog in the water! How did Jensdahl…no later! We need to form a human chain across the ice sheet!”

“Ginny?”

“Be careful; it’s so thin! Hurry!”

“Ginny, we’re Witches remember?”

“Oh crum! I’m sorry…I almost panicked. Wingardium Leviosa!” The icy water pulled back at the dog for a moment, but Luna’s spell, joined with mine for one last tug, had him up, out and over to solid ground. The dog shook, but then immediately collapsed with cold and exhaustion. “Luna, we need to apply a warming spell!”

She already was. Luna pulled a small flask from her coat then and brought it to the dog’s lips. Yes, dogs do have lips. Pouring a good portion of the contents into his mouth, it caused Sirius (I know that you’ve guessed who it was Spenser) to choke at first.

“That will put color in your cheeks–-maybe even other than black. I would say hair on your chest, but you seem to have that now.” Luna stood and stepped over to join me and watch her work.

Sirius’ head shot up, and then the whole dog did–-four feet into the air, doing a barrel roll before landing and belching smoke. Fire came out the other end singeing the tail and resulting in an almost comical show and melting a fair amount of ground snow.

“Hmm…why doesn’t it ever do that for me?”

“Luna! What did you give that poor dog?” I somehow managed to ask.

“Just a sip of ninety-year-old firewhisky. My Healer recommends that I gargle with it twice a day. I also put a dab behind each ear every morning. I’m still waiting to see if it attracts a red rimmed shufflepanzy or the village drunk.”

“Please tell me you’re kidding Luna.” My eyes must have been as wide as the dog’s just then.

“I’m kidding Ginny. It’s just a diluted version of what we used to sober up your owl that day. You know I don’t drink.” She did however, even then, and contrary to what the school knew, have a seriously evil mischievous streak at times. I understand what she saw in you Spenser.

“Wait one! You gave the dog something derived from Uncle Theodore’s Please, Please Kill Me Now Chili recipe? Oh, poor doggy? Come here boy…come on. It’s okay. We weren’t trying to kill you, believe it or not.”

“Woof.” It was soft and not unfriendly, but the large dog, and that’s all we thought him to be then, was still exceptionally shy.

“I don’t suppose you speak dog Luna?”

“No, just bird, but I’m thinking of taking a correspondence course in Chihuahua. There’s that boy in Hufflepuff that says he can understand certain French cow dialects, and then there’s your friend Harry Potter who speaks snake you said.”

“Woof? Woof, woof?”

The mention of Harry instantly got Sirius’ attention. He trotted up to me, jumped up licked and nuzzled my face. Just as quickly he was down and off again into the nearby forest, looking back just once to bark his goodbyes. A couple years later I kidded him about how he had actually kissed me long before Harry had. Mum was not amused.


*****



“Ginny, this is very important. Where did you see that black dog?”

“Why is it important Harry?” My voice was much, much lower than his, even recognizing that we were the only two in the Common Room. It was the first time he had spoken to me in weeks. We’d been much closer in the past, and I had even seen the seeds for something…well it had to wait a few more years I finally decided. “Follow the lake north for a quarter mile past the stony beach to the edge of the marshes. We’re not permitted any further. He ran into the forest to the west. Harry, why is it important?” I asked again. He gave me a hard look before he answered.

“I don’t know.”

“Then it really isn’t that important.”

“It is…I just don’t know how yet. Please trust me Ginny, and please don’t go off so far from the castle until…”

“Until they catch Sirius Black? That seems to be all anyone cares about this year. I do trust you Harry. You saved my life last spring and quite probably my soul as well. I trust you, but I’m not sure that I like you very much right now…”

“Ginny?”

“…and I know you don’t trust me. Poor fragile little Ginny! Ron’s baby sister–-need to look after her. We’re back to that are we? Sod off! Stay away from the dog as well. He’s my friend now.”

I ran for the stairwell to the girls’ dormitory. I didn’t look back, and I ignored whatever he was calling out to me. When we talked about it later, Harry said that he just wanted to explain. It wouldn’t have mattered. When I’m in that kind of mood now, my husband gets the downstairs sofa for the night. Well yes–-making up always is fun. We’re getting off track now though.

I took the steps two at a time, threw open the door to my sleeping area, silently begging the Tower to give me an empty room. It wasn’t, and I was taken aback at who was there.

“Fred…George…what are you doing in here? How did you get up the stairs with the charms in place? This is an expulsion offense, and that’s before anything Mum and Dad do to you!” Their faces shocked me as much as their presence–-serious and almost scared.

“We took the secret passage up from the broom closet next to the other secret passage to the kitchens. We’ll be gone in a minute Gin. Fred seal the door, will you?”

“Right. Ginny did you ever tell anyone outside the family about our business. You know, the hush, hush part of it? About the explosives factory we set up in the storage wing, or our slipping the Stuttering Stuffing into the school turkeys last Christmas, or the trade fair we hosted in Morgan’s Keep just before spring break? Anyone…did you talk to anyone, even Harry?”

There was something in my brother’s voice that scared me as much as it did him. Oh, don’t give me that look Spenser. They utilized Morgan’s Keep long before it became your Muggle Studies tower. As I was saying, the three of us were sweating then, albeit for different reasons I would learn in a moment.

“Here Ginny…here,” Fred almost shouted. He shoved a folded parchment at me. I almost dropped it when he jerked back his hand as if it had been on fire. “We were considering giving this to Harry; his need for it is far greater than ours.”

“We’ve also memorized the entire chart since we borrowed it from old Filch that day. Don’t really need it anymore,” George quickly added. My brothers finally smiled, but just for a second. “It’s a map Ginny. It’s a wonderful, wonderful, magical map. In our infinite wisdom, we’ve decided that you could make even better use of it than your sweet beau Harry.”

“He is not my…” I stopped myself, and my throat actually hurt from yelling suddenly. I was as close to crying then as you can get without breaking down. Fred and George were quiet and serious again. I’ve never decided, to this very day, which is the bigger twit, but I do know they love me. “Infinite wisdom? Cunning, deviltry, wit, greed and tomfoolery certainly, but wisdom? Who’s blackmailing you two?”

“Professor Jensdahl,” they said together and without hesitation. I should have known.

“Ginny, I’m telling you the woman knew things that were impossible to know,” George continued. “I’ve heard that reporter Rita Skeeter somehow sees all sorts of private moments and such, but this was worse. Even Fred here didn’t know how I swiped all Margery Passeltuff’s clothes while she was swimming in the river three summers ago. He was still out cold after our mule kicked him.”

“I shouldn’t have tried to put those galoshes on him that morning. Don’t ask Ginny. As we started to say, the good professor, and I’ll use good in only a provisional manner, walked in on our restocking the secret product storeroom. It’s right smack below Snape’s classroom.”

“It’s where? That is brilliant!” I had to grudgingly admit.

“We thought so too. Professor Jensdahl was waiting for Fred and me though as soon as we crawled out of the sewer hatch. I told you not to ask Ginny. The place was locked from the outside, and you know you can’t Apparate around Hogwarts.”

“Jensdahl can. I’ve seen her, but…it’s like nothing…” I couldn’t explain it, so I decided not to try. “Tell me about the map.”

“There’s more first,” they said then. “It’s about Harry.”

“I don’t want to hear.” They’d pushed the wrong button again and saw it.

“Yes, you do Ginny,” George said after almost a minute.

“Sirius Black is Harry’s godfather.” Fred was as somber as George then, who was as serious as…Fred.

“He’s what? No, he couldn’t be. Harry would have known. He would have…” No, Harry wouldn’t have said something to me–-not just then.

“There’s more. Black is an Animagus–-a large black dog.”

“No, you’re wrong George! I know you are!” It was as if he’d punched me.

“Professor Jensdahl told us,” they once more recited in tandem. “You need to talk to Harry.”

“I need to talk to a few people. Please show me this map you brought.”

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good,” George suddenly said.

“You always are. Now what do you mean by… Oh wow!”


*****



I know exactly what you’re thinking Spenser, and in my case, I don’t need to make use of Legilimency–-as if I could. There’s far more to this story I’m telling you. You can see that. I received the map instead of Harry. That volume of his biography was wrong as well, but again, the Muggles really seem to enjoy it. What I mean to point out is that there was still a great mystery in place.

As I thought about it that one evening, I slowly came to accept how Sirius was indeed Harry’s godfather and most probably was the black dog we had saved. That was the easy part. What I could not allow in my mind was that we had been dealing with a cold-blooded murderer. He had been friendly and frisky, if also a bit shy with us. When Luna had mentioned Harry being my friend, Padfoot seemed happy…excited and much more affectionate. Of course, he had been. I didn’t know he was innocent yet, and I wasn’t ready to rush out to find him, but I wasn’t willing to be as judgmental of Sirius as the rest of the world was.

Then there was the matter of Jensdahl. The professor knew things she couldn’t have. Rita Skeeter’s own fly on the wall Animagus trick wouldn’t have passed through Ministry security that year. I suspected that was why Sirius kept his distance from the castle for the most part. Discrete questions to my instructors confirmed in my mind that Legilimency would most likely be detected by the subject if they were anticipating it. It was not to be ruled out, but neither was it at the head of the class. Is that an American term? Well, you’ll no doubt make me sound as if I’m from California when you write this down.

My point is that the woman was an annoying riddle. She was rarely seen apart from the weekly seminars she gave the houses on the best way to pass an examination without fainting. It was my understanding that what they covered was basic common sense and the classes hardly worth attending. Almost…no, absolutely…it was just a token effort on Jendahl’s part. Twice I approached Professor McGonagall to ask about the Canadian, but I stopped myself at the absolute last second. I would have had to answer too many questions on my own, and, if confronted, risked having Professor Jendahl reveal even more about Fred and George, including the Marauders’ Map.

Speaking of which, it was every bit as much fun as you would expect. The high point of our days was when, having finished our assigned homework, we would meet to explore all the hidden rooms and passageways the chart displayed. By we, I mean Luna and I of course, but she also introduced me to another fantastic girl from her house–-Kitty Fletcher. It was much later before I learned of her being Mundungus’ niece, and even now, after all these years, I find it hard to accept their being related.

Spenser you’ve taught here for over thirty years and lived in Morgan’s Keep for maybe a decade of that. I don’t have to tell you what a wondrous place Hogwarts Castle is but try to think back to when you first began to explore. Now imagine us doing it with the Marauders’ Map. The ancient cheese making chambers below the Great Hall; the tunnel between the Astronomy Tower and the living quarters of a reportedly promiscuous, one-time instructor; the ill-maintained parapet on the southern-most tower, which has one of the finest views from the school if you are careful walking it; we visited them all, day and night.

I’m almost embarrassed to tell you one special use we made of it, but it was for the best of causes. When Christmastime came we utilized the secret passages to deliver gifts to friends’ rooms without being seen. Kitty and I even slipped into Slytherin House one night by way of a truly disgusting tunnel. There we assured that several of the Christmas stockings had rather large lumps of coal in them. Professor Snape received a nice wicker basket, with a beautiful red bow, and full of herbal shampoos. We were sure that he wouldn’t appreciate it, but for some reason the Potions classroom smelled of lavender and roses after the holidays.

With that said, you’ve probably inferred that I had yet to speak with Harry about what I had been told. I still needed to confront and have it out with him about his current opinion of me. My new adventures had been exactly the distraction I’d required from my horrible dreams, but they hadn’t been completely eliminated. Harry was always in them and he often died fighting the basilisk and Tom. It was at this moment where I would wake, sometimes screaming. It was not something that could be kept quiet in Gryffindor. Harry knew about the nightmares. He made no effort to speak with me about them. That especially hurt, at least until one very important evening–-New Year’s Eve.

I was climbing down the secret passageway the twins had introduced between our rooms and the broom closet outside our tower. There is one point, at the base of the first set of steps, where it’s possible to eavesdrop on anyone in the Common Room. I had utilized it in the past, but always felt self-conscious about spying on my friends. I suspected that Fred and George were never so squeamish. Luna had returned from holiday early (worried about me she later confessed), and I was rushing to meet her. Harry’s voice through the walls however, and hearing my name, caught my attention. I stopped and moved over to the spy hole.

“I’m just saying that Ginny’s very important to me.” Harry sat in that old flowered chair near the fireplace; the one with the same upholstery pattern today as back then. His face was buried in his hands.

“I could take that a few different ways mate? Ginny’s been in love with you since about thirty seconds after she was born. The girl only took that long to decide on things because she paused to slap the midwife back. Harry…you don’t fancy her, do you? I mean that way?”

Seeing Harry so upset, I had wanted to break through the wall to go and comfort him. Just then however, I wanted to strangle my brother for what he’d said. Ron’s back was to me, obstructing who I knew to be Hermione to his left. From what I could see, there was no one else in the room, at least not within earshot. There better not have been the way they were talking.

“I don’t know. I don’t know what I feel. I can’t let anyone in that close to me. There’s a man out there trying to kill me, just as he helped murder my parents–-my own godfather! Maybe you two should keep your distance as well. Sirius Black could be anywhere. You saw what happened when he tried to get past the Fat Lady. He was inside the castle itself!”

The man had helped Voldemort kill Harry’s mother and father? The same person whose life Luna and I had saved? The thought of what I’d done sent my head spinning. I hadn’t known who the dog really was, but it wouldn’t have mattered. We still would have pulled him from the water. Luna and I are not cold-blooded. For some reason, I couldn’t picture the dog as being such either. I know, looking back at it after all these years, the Wizarding world should have recognized its mistake in accusing Sirius. His hearing, if that is what you want to call it, had been a joke. At the moment however, all I had to go with was a strong feeling in my stomach that made no sense. I changed my mind. I had to find a way to safely talk with the man, and if I was wrong, to help the authorities capture him.

“Not bloody likely mate! We’ve got your back through all of this Harry.”

“Ron’s right.” I could see Hermione now as she went and knelt down next to Harry, taking his hand the way I had wanted. I remember thinking how if it had been anyone else, I would have been jealous. “After what you heard in Hogsmeade, learning all those horrible things, you have every reason to be scared and upset. Harry, the security in and around Hogwarts is phenomenal now. You’re safe. We’re safe. Please don’t push any of us away, including Ginny.”

Harry finally lifted his head so I could see him. He looked as if the troubles of the entire planet had been tugging at him, giving him no rest whatsoever. In fact, come to think of it, Harry looked worse than you did the morning after your last chicken lampshade dance show. I’m sorry Spenser. You really do need to stay out of the eggnog this year. What? You’re sober when you do that every year? Hmm…?

“Hermione I’ll…” Harry offered her a weak smile and stood up. “I’ll talk to Ginny as soon as I take a long, hot, overdue shower. Professor Lupin is right you know. You really are the brightest Witch of our age.”

“I’ve always liked him you know,” she giggled, “even if he is a werewolf.”

I had to step away from the spy hole and shake my head at that revelation. Remus Lupin was a werewolf? It explained quite a bit, especially all his absences, but still the news was incredible.

“Ron, I did want to ask Ginny to come with us when we went into Hogsmeade that afternoon. Professor McGonagall said no second-years.”

I moved back to look when I heard Harry’s voice again. My heart was racing at his saying that. Can you imagine the fun we would have had if he’d come to his senses before his sixth year? I guess that it just made it all the nicer when Harry finally did tell me how he felt. Please don’t bring up Cho Spenser, or I’ll have to remind you about Rolf. I happen to know that it was you who arranged his trips to the infirmary both times he visited the school with his grandfather.

“You do fancy my sister!” Ron almost yelled. Fortunately, Harry ignored him.

“I just can’t believe that my uncle signed the permission papers finally, especially after what happened to his sister Marge. Professor Jensdahl just said that he had a dramatic change of heart after she visited him. It’s odd.”

Yes, it was. It was very odd. Somehow the strange woman was involved in matters again, and there was no doubt in my mind that she had somehow blackmailed the Dursleys in order to get that signature. I replaced the cover on the spy hole, a bit surprised and amused that no one ever noticed when the eyes changed in the small portrait of Sir Bentley Bluebelcher (the man who drove the porcupines out of Freedonia). Relighting my wand, I continued down the passage, going over what I needed to discuss with Luna, and just as importantly, with Harry.


*****



“Watch where you’re going young lady! Ah, Miss Weasley. No doubt making a beeline for the kitchen as all your family has a habit of doing. The evening meal ended over an hour ago.”

“I’m sorry Professor Snape. I guess I wasn’t watching where I was walking.” With as much as was bouncing about in my head, I was amazed I hadn’t wandered into the boys’ shower room. “Good evening Professor Lupin. Hmm…do I smell lilacs?” Remus smiled at me, but Snape, if his eyes were any indication, looked as if he wanted to throttle me.

“Where are you off to at this hour Ginny?” Remus asked. He had to have noticed how I was studying his scarred face.

“An excellent question. Turn out your pockets,” Snape demanded in low, hiss-like voice.

“There you are Miss Weasley. I expected you for our tutorial fifteen minutes ago.” Remus and Snape literally jumped at the sudden appearance of Professor Jensdahl. Her timing was excellent, and yes, very suspicious. “Come my dear.” She grabbed my arm and pulled me off before the other instructors could react.

As we turned the first corner, out of sight of Snape and Remus, I pulled my arm free, but gently. I continued to follow her, annoyed and puzzled at what was happening as well as with that ridiculous grin on the woman’s face. Five minutes passed before Jensdahl spoke again.

“Very, very close. It would have been bad if Remus had confiscated the Marauders’ Map before Harry and you could make use of it. That’s actually what happened before.”

“Before? Before what?” I stopped there, and it was my turn to take her arm. I needed answers, and I was too angry to remember I was addressing a teacher. “Who are you…really? Tell me please. How do you know all these things? How do you appear and disappear that way?”

“I promise that I’ll tell you one day, or the equivalent. Luna’s not in her house. She paid a visit to poor Buckbeak earlier and is on her way now to take some food to Sirius. You know, don’t you, that he’s innocent? I’d tell you more, but you need to speak with Harry.”

“Who are you?” I asked again, this time slowly and softly to stress my every word.

“I’m Daphnia Jensdahl, aren’t I? You’d better hurry if you want to catch up with Loony.”

The woman vanished then, and this time I was certain that it wasn’t an Apparation. It looked almost as if something pulled her off somewhere…somehow. She was right though. I needed to hurry. Despite what Jensdahl had said, Sirius was a wanted man. Even if he wasn’t dangerous, the Dementors were. I began to run, removing and activating the map to ensure a clear path.


*****



“Luna, step back from him! Keep away from her Black!” I screamed, pointing my wand at him and ignoring his pleasantly smiling face.

“I don’t think that Black is a very good name for the dog Ginny. Perhaps Fido would be better. Did you have a nice Christmas? I really missed you.”

“We’ll talk later Luna, and the dog already has a name. It’s Padfoot.”

I had no idea how I knew that was true, but again I was certain. I strongly suspected the name Mooney on the map probably referred to the werewolf Remus Lupin. Was Harry’s father Prongs or Wormtail, and who was the fourth Marauder? The way things had been going for me recently, I expected the answer to just pop into my head, or for Professor Jensdahl to appear with some cryptic reference.

I was extremely pleased with how I had been able to find Luna so quickly, simply following her tracks in the snow from Buckbeak’s pen. The hippogriff had yet to be condemned to death. You’ll remember how his hearing wasn’t until the spring. Still, we decided that both Hagrid and he already knew the verdict. Luna was taking it the way you would expect.

I met up with her and the dog not far from where we had first met him. It wasn’t the wisest move on his part, especially since I had told Harry the location, and he surely had gone looking for Sirius there. He needed food however, and with the winter weather, probably hadn’t been able to acquire much off the land. I had to applaud Luna’s generosity under the circumstances.

“Padfoot? That’s a much better name I think.” Luna scratched the dog behind the left ear, a favorite spot for all canines, but yanked her hand away and leapt back as he reverted to human form. To her credit, Luna was surprised but didn’t seem to be scared yet. I more than made up for her. I swallowed hard and willed my hand to stop shaking.

“Ginevra Molly Weasley–-you wouldn’t remember, but we’ve met. In fact, I held you for a short while just after you were born. I’d never seen anyone slap their midwife back before. May I ask where you heard the name you used?” I made the mistake then of pulling out the map and holding it up. His eyes went wide. “Where did you…? I must see that!”

“No!” I may have been small, especially in his eyes, but what he saw in mine stopped him. Out of the corner of my vision I noted that Luna had drawn her wand as well. “Why did you betray Harry’s parents? Why do you want to kill him?”

“Kill Harry? I would never harm my godson! I did not betray James and Lily either!”

That’s not what the Ministry tells us.”

“Oh Ginny, Ginny, dear Ginny…do you believe everything the Ministry tells you? The mostly inept, corrupt collection of idiots and charlatans? Did they make any real effort to ascertain the truth? Did they ever offer to question me under the influence of potion or by delving into my mind? I was a convenient scapegoat at what they thought was the end of the war. I was sent to prison for twelve years, while the real villain remained free after faking his own death and causing so many others theirs. He is the one who will die this evening! He is the one hiding behind the walls of your school! Wormtail…Peter Pettigrew! Now please give me the map so I can locate him child!”

“No, I will not…and I stopped being a child the day I was possessed by Voldemort!” My words staggered him. He stared at me in disbelief, desperate for the map, but also reappraising me. I felt it then before I could hear them. Even in that frigid winter air, the cold passed over me as if it were freezing water. I risked a quick glance skyward and saw them.

“The Dementors of Azkaban!” Sirius almost whimpered. He was scared then I could see, and from what I had heard of those creatures, he had every right to be. “I must go! I’ve remained human far too long and attracted their attention here in the open. I owe you a life debt Ginny, but I cannot help you yet, except to give you the spell that may repel them. Think of the most wonderful, happy thought you have ever experienced. Wrap yourself in the memory. It counters the despair they will try to implant in your heart. Expecto Partronum are the words you will direct at the Dementors. It’s advanced magic, and it would be remarkable if you were successful with just a moment’s explanation. My best advice now is to run to safety and hope not to attract their attention further. That’s what I must do as well. Take your map to Harry and repeat what I’ve told you–-please!”

Before I could blink, Sirius was again a dog and dashing toward the forest. It is an unqualified miracle that Luna and I made it back to the castle undetected by either Dementors or the faculty.


*****



“Harry there you are!” He turned to look, and I threw myself into his arms, not caring who might see–-forgetting propriety and how hurt and angry I had been. I just poured myself into that hug, holding onto him as if he would fly away. All my fear and fatigue evaporated then. I was thrilled down to my toes that he seemed to be returning the gesture as well. I have no idea how long it was before we finally broke apart. I don’t know who was smiling more; Harry, myself or Luna who I had forgotten was with me.

“Ginny I’m so sorry I…”

“Oh, shut up Harry. No, you shouldn’t have pushed me away like that, and yes you will probably do it again someday.” Right after Dumbledore’s funeral you might remember. “No, I’ve not gone crazy. Yes, I love you too you big dufus.” He cocked his head, and looked at me then, but I could tell he understood the context a statement like that was in coming from a twelve-year-old girl.

“We need to talk,” he finally managed to say.

“Yes, we do and right now. We don’t have much time. In here.” I led him into the empty Charms classroom, while Luna, as we had discussed en route, stood watch outside the door. I pulled the map from my coat pocket, laid it out on the table and tapped it with my wand. “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.”

“Isn’t that Fred and George’s motto? Oh wow.”

“Actually, that’s exactly what I said. This is a magical map of Hogwarts. It shows every nook and cranny and crawlspace, including a large number of secret passageways. What’s more, it shows everyone…I do mean everyone…within the castle. I need your help to find one person in particular. Peter Pettigrew.” Harry jumped as if shocked.

“Who did you say Ginny? Pettigrew’s dead! Sirius Black killed him after he gave up my mother and father to Voldemort!”

“Harry, there are no secrets between you and me. I’ve just come from speaking with Sirius. He’s told me what I believe is the truth.”

“The truth? Ginny the man is a convicted murderer and an escaped prisoner! Why did you go out to find him? Why do you believe him? Why are you trying to help him?”

“Luna and I saved his life Harry. He owes us a life debt, and I believe that compels him to tell the truth.” I began to pour over the map as I spoke, fully aware that Harry wasn’t going to help until he calmed down. “You said that he was convicted–-by who? Did he ever appear before the Wizengamot? Was he ever given the chance to defend himself during all the time he was in Azkaban? You’re too good of a person to not give someone…anyone a fair chance Harry.”

“Ginny, I just don’t believe…”

“I believe Harry. I believe that I’ve just found him. Look!” I pointed to the name on the map, moving at a rapid pace through a side door to the castle–-Peter Pettigrew.

“I don’t believe it,” Harry said again. “How could he remain hidden from everyone for so long? It’s impossible.”

“Is anything impossible young man?” The voice was coming from behind a bookcase next to Professor Flitwick’s classroom podium. It was Jensdahl. How had she found us, and how had she gotten past Luna? “It is possible because just as Sirius and your father, Peter is an Animagus–-a rat. He’s been living at the Burrow these past several years in fact.”

“Scabbers! Scabbers is Wormtail and Wormtail is Pettigrew!” Harry shouted. “How did you know?”

“You will note Harry that the Marauders’ Map only extends a measured distance beyond the school walls. It’s an area our Mr. Pettigrew is about to leave. I suggest you hurry to catch up. He’s moving in the direction of that clearing near the ponds. I’ve taken the liberty of steering Sirius to that location as well. You had best all reunite before the Dementors decide to join in. Ginny, you will need to remember everything Sirius told you if you are to save him. Now go, go!”

“Wait Professor, how do you know so much? Why are you…?” The woman vanished before Harry could finish. “How did she do that?”

“One more of quite a few questions Harry. Come on, out the back door. She’ll be hurt but I don’t want to involve Luna in this anymore.”

“There’s a backdoor to the classroom? Ah, the map shows it.”

I gathered up the parchment, but then handed it to Harry. It had been his father’s in part, and now it should be his I decided. Using it, we again avoided the teachers and any students who might be about. New Year’s Eve was the one night without curfew, or rather it would not be evoked until after we’d had the chance to welcome in nineteen ninety-four.

We were perhaps forty yards outside before we saw the human footprints. The rat would have all sorts of trouble moving in the deep snow. Professor Jensdahl was right. Pettigrew was traveling in the direction she’d indicated. Harry and I began to run.

There was a half-moon that particular evening. Remus could have participated without the werewolf conflicts you’ll remember from the book. I was a bit puzzled at Jensdahl’s not bringing the remaining Marauder into the finale, but then I was just as baffled about why I had been invited. Every time I came up with a logical reason, a counterargument arose in my head to contradict it. One thing was certain; I was a stronger, better person than I had been when the school year began.

As I said, there was no skirmish between Padfoot and Mooney in this version, but still we could hear the sounds of a pitched battle as we neared the clearing. To be precise, it was Pettigrew’s high-pitched screaming versus Sirius’ loud growls. When we came upon them, the dog was tearing into the rat-faced man the way my brothers do a beefsteak.

“Harry, we’ve got to stop them!”

“What?”

“Harry, Sirius is innocent! Pettigrew is the proof! They’ll send him back to prison if we let him kill the rat! Let the Dementors have him! We need to stun them both!”

Stupefy!” Harry’s magical bolt hit his godfather first, and I could tell it wasn’t what Harry intended. The dog reverted to human form as well. Pettigrew grabbed Sirius’ falling body, used it as a shield while he backed away. When Sirius suddenly crumbled to the ground we knew that Peter was again the rat and gone from sight.

“Look after Sirius Ginny. I need to find Pettigrew!”

“Harry no! Look!” I pointed to the sky. They were closer and greater in number than when Luna and I had our brush with them earlier. The wave of cold hit us and my face and hands instantly hurt; Harry’s must have as well. Sirius was too large to move, and we couldn’t Apparate with him even if we knew how at that age. Your U.S. Cavalry wasn’t going to come charging in with bugles blaring either. Part of me wanted Professor Jensdahl to make another unexpected appearance. All I had was Sirius Black’s twenty second lesson.

“Remus Lupin showed me the spell to repel them Ginny. I need to stand over Sirius and try to protect him. You need to run.”

Expecto Patronum Harry?” I had astonished him yet again. I smiled as best I could and took his hand. It didn’t feel at all cold to me.

“I don’t know if it will work Ginny. You need to run.”

“No Harry. Because.”

“What? Because?”

It was too late regardless. The Dementors were coming down to claim their prize, and as we were there to defend him, Harry and I had become a bonus meal. Fill yourself with a wonderful, happy memory. Match the Dementors’ gloom with your joy. I didn’t need a memory. I was with Harry, and that was enough.

“Come and get us you sons of a troll!” I softly told them.

They didn’t need to hear me. I imitated Harry, raising my wand with his, and repeated the spell as he did. At first it reminded me of the most intense Lumos Spell ever employed. As it moved out from our wands’ tips, the light seemed to take on mass of sorts, forming into large animals. Harry’s was the stag that you’ve seen so often, and mine, of course, was the horse.

The two Patronuses worked together at first, but a squeeze of my hand alerted me to a flanking action by the Dementors, and I moved mine to intercept them. They came at us in incredible numbers–-far more than you might imagine after reading that chapter and certainly not after seeing that great Muggle film. They came, and they came, and then their reinforcements came in after them. We didn’t care. We had won before we even started. It felt great. The fear melted away from my body, and as it left, my Patronus became all the stronger for it. Finally, the last of those hideous creatures faded away into the night. Our victory was official. We only had one last chore to perform.


*****



“Here’s your ride out Sirius. His name is Buckbeak. You might want to hurry.”

“I do need to dash off if I’m going to catch that rat Harry. Buckbeak is it? He’s a magnificent beast. What does he…?”

Burp!

Great Merlin’s beard! I was going to ask what to feed him, but from the smell, it’s old, green, fermented socks stuffed into the stomach of a dead camel. Will you be all right now Harry?”

“We both will be,” I answered for him. We weren’t together yet, and we wouldn’t be for a few more years. He wasn’t even holding my hand any longer. It was still an incredibly memorable evening.

“Now if we can just find Professor Jensdahl to…”

“You called?” She had once again appeared out of nowhere and without a sound. This time Sirius was the only one who was startled.

“…get a few questions answered,” I finished.

“I promised that you would understand everything didn’t I? Just go and get a good night’s sleep, and when you awake, everything will be crystal clear.” The woman was incredibly frustrating, but her friendly (if toothy, ugly) grin was infectious.

“Excuse me, but as helpful as you seem to have been, you really owe all of us some solid, substantial answers Professor… What was your name again?” Sirius was smiling as well, but he was also extremely…serious. Pardon the old pun.

“My dear Mr. Black, never sniff a gift hippogriff…”

Burp!

“…lite rally as well as figuratively. Whew, does anyone have some breath mints? Anyway, Harry, take very good care of this girl. You have a lot of interesting adventures awaiting you in the years ahead. Ginny, you need to see a Healer about a small defect in one of you heart valves. It will cause you problems someday. Have a great evening now and please say goodbye to Loony for me.” As quickly as she came, Jensdahl was gone.

Harry and I finished seeing Sirius and Buckbeak off, and then walked back to Gryffindor Tower. After that… I’m sorry, but for some reason I don’t remember everything that happened next. I know we talked, Harry and me. We must have…didn’t we?


*****



I suppose Ginny and I had been roaming around Hogwarts for maybe an hour by the time she’d finished her story. The thing was, as Ginny had reminded me, she wasn’t a storyteller. What I was hearing actually happened. The problem was that it couldn’t have, at least not where we were.

Now there is something that you have to understand. It’s the basis of my even being around to write this down. There are infinite possibilities out there, and to each there is a corresponding reality–-an alternative universe. In mine for example, besides my beating out Rolf and winning the girl, our war had ended much, much more quietly. Fred, Dobby, Alastor Moody, Tonk,s and Remus (among others) were still alive and well when it ended. It was all because someone long ago went back in time and changed things just a little, which in turn, over the years, changed things dramatically. In our case it was good, but I’ve seen other attempts, even with good intentions, destroy worlds. As you might expect, improper temporal interference is a major taboo in the Wizarding world.

During our wandering about, I intentionally avoided the final destination Ginny expected. You see, there is one point in each of those countless universes that intersects with a corresponding point in all the others. Through this you can view those other possibilities, and yes, even travel to them. This phenomenon is encased in an ancient relic called B’kur’s Arch, and it’s far more dangerous than the similar-looking one at the Ministry through which Sirius Black fell. I’m still not sure how we came into possession of it so many years before, but, apart from just a few of us, most who had known of it believe the thing to have been long buried away. I’d hoped Ginny thought that too. I now knew she didn’t. She finally started up the hallway that led to the Room of Requirements.

“Ginny, you don’t honestly believe that’s what really happened back then do you?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Then why does everyone remember the version from the book? You know--Sirius dragging your brother into the Shrieking Shack, Remus turning into a wolf, Hermione and her time-turner. I’m sorry, but you weren’t even involved with Sirius’ rescue that night.”

“Yes, I was. It happened just the way I said, or it will. I know you have a thousand questions Spenser.”

“You’ve got that right. For starters, how could you be so certain through it all that Sirius wasn’t the murderer everyone else knew him to be?”

“I just knew.”

“How did a twelve-year-old girl with no formal training produce a full-body Patronus on her first attempt?”

“I don’t understand it either. I just knew I could do it.”

“Why would you risk your neck in the first place? Anyone else would have run for help, especially when Harry was in danger.”

“Because.”

“Because is not a reason!” Ginny smiled at that, and I had to as well.

“All right. Because…because I was scared. I was scared for myself, and for Harry, and for Luna, and in the end, I was scared for Sirius as well. I intentionally went into it because I needed something like what happened to us. I needed to face it and beat it, or that fear would conquer me in the end. Once I did, I never had nightmares about the Chamber of Secrets again. I still dream about it, but now I’m the one in control, and Tom never, never wins. Do you understand?”

It took me several moments, but I finally nodded. I did understand. “Okay, I can accept that. I’ll only ask one more question until we’re at the arch.” Looking over, I was a bit surprised that the door to the Room was already there. “Uhm…who exactly was Professor Jensdahl, and apart from the name, what does she have to do with me?”

She is you Spenser. You disguise yourself, go back in time and alter events for me. You haven’t done it yet, so that’s why you at least still retain a belief in the version from Harry’s biography.”

“What? Now I’m wondering if you’re the one who’s been into the rum-laced eggnog. Daphnia Jensdahl was just a name I made up for a story no one seemed to like. It and the character both died a horrifying death. Daphnia was my daughter’s doll–-Jenny’s doll…Jensdahl. You’re the one that gave it to her on her first birthday.”

“It was the perfect alias for you. Thank you for the clue.” Ginny pulled open the Room of Requirement door and led the way. The arch wasn’t actually in there, but rather a short passageway was formed, which led to its hiding place somewhere across the world. “It had to be you. You’re crazy enough to contrive such a stunt.”

“There are a lot of crazy people in the world.”

“You’re the type of person who would do this for his friends. Then there was Professor Jensdahl’s accent. It was American I decided, not Canadian.”

“There are millions of Americans in the world, even a few who can speak proper English the way the British do.” I caught myself. Was I actually sounding as if her story had actually occurred? I had too much faith in Ginny not to believe something had happened. “Someone could have used a magical voice disk to disguise himself…or herself. You’ve seen how good they are.”

Ginny stopped there and turned back to face me. Beyond her I could see our destination–-the ancient chamber where the arch was stored. Torches were lit inside, and their glow mingled with the passageway’s faint lighting. She took a step back toward me, with a grin on her face that reminded me of her twin brothers.

“There is one more reason why it had to be you Spenser. You’re the only person who would ever call Luna Loony in an affectionate context, and you spell it differently.”

The answers rushed into my head. I suddenly knew. “No Ginny, I am not the only one.” I stepped past her and into the large room there. I was right. I could hear Ginny’s surprised gasp behind me.

“Harry…Lily?” she barely whispered. He smiled, which no doubt calmed her significantly, and moved to embrace his wife.

“I just found out myself,” he said. “Remus told me about this place years ago. I’ve never visited it before. It looks as if we beat you here.”

“Yeah…uhm Ginny…you probably forgot, but Lily called her Aunt Loony until she was maybe twelve. She also inherited Daphnia when Jennifer outgrew her dolls.”

Mother and daughter just stared at each other for perhaps a minute before Ginny could speak. “Lily, you went back in time and changed history?”

“Well…not exactly Mum. I created a story for you–-one that you thought might be real. Aunt Luna brought me here and helped me create it. We put together a Dream Box. That music box I gave you for Christmas had the charm on it. When you went to sleep last night, it played out the whole scene for you in your mind. It was one where you faced the Dementors with Dad and helped save Uncle Sirius. I went to tell you the truth this morning, to see how you liked it, but you were already gone. Dad somehow knew where you were going.”

“Why?” Ginny gently pulled away from Harry, moved to their daughter and gave her a soft, sincere smile to ensure the girl understood that all was well. Lily took a deep breath, but she seemed to relax a bit.

“Mum, ever since your birthday…”

“Ah, the scare with my heart.”

“Yeah Mum. Since then you’ve been…different. You act as if you were scared to go out in the world again. Something went out of you.”

“I’m fifty now and need to act my age.” I could see tears forming in Ginny’s eyes. “I’m too old to be flying a broom up there with my grandchildren.”

“Too old or too afraid Mum?” Lily took a step closer, and the two locked eyes. Ginny understood then.

“An object lesson for your poor mother, was it? Well…it is supposed to be a clear, beautiful day. Perhaps a short trip up would be fine…provided the pies are done and everyone bundles up warm. Thank you, Lily. Part of me almost wishes Jensdahl had gotten me that map. Your little made-up adventure really would have helped when I was twelve. Thank you, Spenser–-for the good coffee and for your patience this morning. I don’t know how I could have believed you would do all I thought. We’ll see you at Ron’s for Christmas brunch.”

Ginny put one arm around Harry and the other pulled Lily in close. The three headed back into the passageway, which was suddenly wide enough for them to walk that way. I realized that despite the hour I was wide awake and suddenly feeling mischievous. I gave them two minutes, and then stepped out of the chamber and into the Room of Requirement portion.

“Oh, why not? What would be the harm? It’s Christmas, I have a few hours and a great script.” Without having to request it, a suitcase appeared before me there, no doubt stuffed with ugly flowered dresses. Atop it lay a sealed envelope that had to be a letter of introduction for Albus Dumbledore. I picked both up and moved over to B’kur’s Arch. “A hard, square chiseled face? Ugly? Sheesh! Okay arch, show me Hogwarts on the first day of school in Ginny’s second year. Hmm…well here we go again.”

Mischief managed!




A/N: Thank you for reading. For those of you who are kind enough to leave a review, I ask that you please don’t give any of the secrets or surprises away. Eric B.

Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear