Search:

SIYE Time:10:12 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


One More Day
By hgromance

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 2
Summary: Songfic, After their breakup Ginny reflects on her time with Harry and decides the times they shared weren't enough.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4230



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is my first attempt at a songfic, so please go easy on me. I love the song and thought it fitting to Ginny's POV. The song is Simple Plan's Everytime. I want to thank them for making such a wonderful song. A sequel will be coming from Harry's POV soon. Keep an eye out for it if you're interested,




ChapterPrinter



One More Day



We talked about our lives
Until the sun came up
And now I’m thinking about
How I wish I could go back
Just for one more day
One more day with you


Ginny sat in her room both dreading and anticipating Harry’s arrival. Dreading it for fear she’d do something stupid, like throw her arms around him and kiss him, even though he’d broken up with her after Dumbledore’s funeral. She anticipated it because she still loved him, missed him desperately, and knew he still loved her. She remembered the night Dumbledore had died and her life had crashed around her.

****Flashback****

Harr y felt a warm hand enclose his to pull him away from Dumbledore’s crumpled form. He noticed, numbly, that it was Ginny.

“Harry, come on. Let’s get you to the hospital wing.”

“I don’t need to go there.” Harry couldn’t take his eyes off Dumbledore.

“Pomfrey’s orders, Harry.”

After stopping in the hospital wing briefly, Harry found himself in the Astronomy Tower with Ginny and no recollection of walking there. They sat by the window shoulder to shoulder and leaned against the wall. The stars twinkled merrily as if what happened a few short hours ago were of no consequence to them. They reminded Harry of Dumbledore’s eyes twinkling whenever he joked around and Harry couldn’t stand to look at those stars. Even though the air was warm, he shivered. He felt cold inside, empty, numb. They sat in silence as he collected his thoughts.

He was going to have to tell her, he knew it. There was no getting around it. He was going to have to tell her of the prophecy. He was going to have to tell her of the job he now had to finish. He was going to have to break her heart and shatter his in the process.

“Ginny, there’s something I have to tell you.”

****Present****

Ginny remembered how they talked until dawn. She hadn’t been overly surprised to learn Harry was the only one who could take down Voldemort. After all, Harry had survived many encounters with the evil one showing Harry was someone special. The Horcruxes did surprise her. She had been horrified to learn she had had close contact with one. Deep down she knew Harry wouldn’t be satisfied letting someone else find those evil things and destroy them. She had put two and two together and had known what was coming before he said it. She steadfastly refused to let him break up with her that night. They argued over it awhile, but she finally convinced him to wait before making that decision.

Ginny flopped onto her bed and cried, for her and for Harry. Life is so cruel and unfair, she thought. Why don’t we deserve to be happy? Oh, God, it hurts. It hurts so much, but I’d do it all again if I had the chance. If I had a time turner I’d go back and relive any of the days we were together. I just want another day with him. Just one.

Every time I see your face
Every time you look my way
It’s like it all falls into place
Everything feels right
But ever since you walked away
You left my life in disarray
All I want is one more day
It’s all I need
One more day with you


Ginny was in the kitchen helping her mother with lunch when Harry arrived. She heard his voice and her throat threatened to close up. She swallowed hard and kept chopping. She hazarded a glance over her shoulder and there he was, standing in the doorway to the kitchen, looking as good as ever. She turned away quickly, forever grateful for the onions to blame for her tears.

Lunch, to Ginny, lasted much longer than usual. She pushed her food around, barely eating. As soon as was polite to do so, she left the table and locked herself in her room. This is going to be harder than I thought. I couldn’t stop looking at him. When I caught him staring at me, oh God, it just felt like things were okay again, but I know they’re not. Why can’t he see it? Why can’t he feel it? No, Ginny, he left, you have to remember that. You have to stop seeing him as the one you love. You have to remember the heartache. But if I only had one more day…

We spent all our money on stupid things
But if I look back now
I’d probably give it all away
Just for one more day
One more day with you


Ginny wiped away her tears in resignation. Her eyes felt drawn to a little ceramic figurine on her desk. Then, of their own accord, found the stone butterfly on her shelf. They haunted her with the memories of trips to Hogsmeade with Harry. Harry bought her several little trinkets. None were overly nice, but Harry had been in a rare, goofy mood and found them delightful. Her eyes wandered the room and found all the goofy little things he had given her. She closed her eyes and sighed as the memories of each item replayed in her head.

The first Hogsmeade trip Harry bought her the figurine. They found it in some little knick-knack store. A little ceramic girl with flaming red hair looked up at Ginny with soulful brown eyes. The next trip, Harry had found the butterfly in store selling cheap, hand-painted items, obviously crafted by Muggles. Ginny couldn’t even remember why Harry had been so taken with the thing. After that, Harry had found a paper bat he thought Ginny should have because of her Bat-Bogey Hex. That currently hung from her ceiling. Her room, she realized, was basically filled with trinkets Harry had given her. No wonder she couldn’t get him out of her head.

Her traitorous heart just wouldn’t allow her to let go. She knew she’d sell every single reminder she had of him if she was given just one more day to be with him the way she longed to be.

Now I’m sitting here
Like we used to do
I think about my life
And how there’s nothing I won’t do
Just for one more day
One more day with you


Ginny couldn’t stand to sit in her room any longer. She wiped her face one last time and went downstairs. She had planned on sitting in the living room but he was there. He looked up when she entered. Green eyes met brown. Feeling her throat close off and tears threaten once more, she turned and fled out the back door. She didn’t stop until she reached her thinking spot. A spot she had shared with Harry. She sat and leaned against a tree. Her and Harry used to come here and talk. They’d talk of Sirius, of Harry’s parents, of the Dursleys, anything and everything.

Life without Harry, so far, was NOT fun. Nothing seemed important anymore. She had once hoped to play professional Quidditch but that just didn’t seem relevant anymore. She had wanted to get married and have a family. That dream was gone in a puff of smoke the day Harry left. It appeared she had a long road of emptiness ahead of her. No cares. No interests. No Harry. An idea began to take form. Could she do it? Did she dare? If only I could hear him say ‘I love you’ one more time.

Every time I see your face, Every time you look my way
It’s like it all falls into place, Everything feels right
Every time I hear your name, Every time I feel the same
It’s like it all falls into place, Everything, everything feels right
You walked away, Just one more day, It’s all I need
One more day with you


Ginny walked back into the house but this time went in search of Harry. She heard her Mum say something about Harry and her heart leaped. Yes, she could do this. Her feelings were never going to change and Harry needed to know that just because he left it didn’t mean things were over between them. What they had together was precious and nothing could change it. Yes, his intentions were noble, but nothing really changed because their feelings were still there, as strong as ever. She was going to get another day with him, and another, and another. She was a red head and known for her stubbornness. She was also a Weasley and Weasley women did NOT give up the men they loved.

She found Harry in the room he was staying in. She was thankful Mum had given him a room to himself this year. She knocked then entered. He had been lying on the bed staring at the ceiling. He jumped up when she entered. She took a deep breath and prepared to recite her speech when he spoke first.

“Gin, I need to tell you something.”


A/N: If you want to know what Harry tells her, look for the sequel, Promise. You can probably guess what he’s going to say, though.
Reviews 2
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear