Search:

SIYE Time:18:41 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dream A Little Dream
By FredsGirl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: General
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: Harry is on the Horcrux hunt and he has a dream about a beautiful redhead that gives him the confidence he needs.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3570



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:


I originally had this idea for the "Baby, it's cold outside" challenge. Unfortunately, I got the idea after it was closed. But I wrote it anyway.

Huge thanks to my beta hgfan1111. She is absolutely amazing! This would be nothing but gibberish if it wasn't for her.

This is only my second story ever. So reviews and constructive criticism are welcome and appreciated. Enjoy!





ChapterPrinter


Dream A Little Dream



This isn’t what Harry expected. He knew it would be hard, but living in the woods in a tent, with barely any food? He had just barely escaped a giant snake that tried to eat him, broken his trusted wand, Ron was gone, and Hermione was crying herself to sleep.

No, not what he expected at all.

They shouldn’t even be here. This was his responsibility, not theirs. He wouldn’t be able to stand it if anyone he loved got hurt. And no matter how many people would try to tell him it wasn’t his fault, deep down he knew it was.

This is why he had been forced to leave Ginny.

As he sat in front of the tent, Hermione’s wand in hand, Harry’s thoughts strayed to the precious few weeks he spent with the beautiful redhead. Glorious afternoons by the lake when she should’ve been studying for her O.W.L.’s. Late nights in the common room, just the two of them, laughing and kissing quietly by the fire. Then there was that one day they did that one thing in the broom closet. He would never forget that. Was he blushing?

Other than the time he found out he was going to be able to leave the Dursley’s, Harry had never been happier. The time they had together was like a dream. A dream he wished he hadn’t woken from.

He was so focused on her that he swore it felt like he was sitting in his favorite chair in the Gryffindor Common Room looking at Ginny, a roaring fire in the background. In fact, he could see her clear as day, walking towards him. It was when she sat on his lap that he realized she was really there.

“Ginny?” She smiled and nodded.

“Am I dreaming?”

“What do you think?” She raised her eyebrows. “If this is a dream, I’d say it’s a pretty damn good one.” She smiled brilliantly at him.

Harry had to agree.

She was as beautiful as ever. Her hair glistened in the firelight, and her big brown eyes sparkled when he looked at them. They were filled with love. Love for him and he knew it. He really could get lost in those eyes forever.

She started stroking his hair just the way he liked it; her fingers lightly scratching his head from front to back slowly. Harry never had to tell her it was too hard or too soft, she just always knew, and it was always perfect.

It was as if he had never broken up with her. Dumbledore wasn’t dead and he wasn’t alone searching for pieces of Voldemort’s soul. Not that he was alone. He had Hermione and Ron--that is if Ron ever came back. But that didn’t mean Harry didn’t feel lonely all the time.

“Can we stay like this forever?” He had closed his eyes and put his head in the crook of her neck drinking in her scent, afraid if he stopped he wouldn’t be able to remember what she smelled like.

“Oh Harry. You know I wish we could, but you have a job to do. You have to go be that noble man I love so much.”

“I miss you. I need you.”

“I’m here. I’ll always be here.” She then took his face in her hands and looked him straight in the eye. It was that blazing look he loved so much. “And I’ll be waiting when you finish that bastard once and for all.”

“I watch you on the map, you know. Seeing you in the common room or your dormitory makes me feel better. Just knowing you’re safe in the castle--it helps,” he said sincerely, as his hand stroked her cheek. She had closed her eyes and leaned into his hand, relishing the feel of his touch with a small smile on her face. He was always able to tell Ginny anything. Feelings he would have been embarrassed to tell anyone else just came out so easily with Ginny. She made him forget to feel embarrassed.

She looked so serene there in his arms. Harry really had no idea how he had been lucky enough to have someone like Ginny in his life. She was with him because of him, not because he was Harry Potter. She made him so happy.

But then there was the question: the one that lingered like a poison in his mind. “What if I can’t do it?” he said as he stared into the fire.

“Harry James Potter.” She opened her eyes and stared at him incredulously. “I don’t want to ever hear you doubt yourself again. You’re going to beat him. Every fiber of my being is telling me that you’re going to win. And since this is your dream, somewhere a part of you believes it too.”

“I think the part of me that believes I can do it is the same part that just wants to be with you. I want to come back Ginny. I want us to be together and to be happy.” He sighed. A look of shame came over his face and he looked down. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t want to leave you, but I needed to make sure you were as safe as possible. But as soon as this is over…Well, I just hope you’ll have me, because I’m yours.”

“I already told you silly, I’ll be waiting,” she whispered. That brilliant smile shone again.

“But you said this was a dream; my dream. What if you don’t really feel like that?”

“Do you really believe that?” she asked.

He didn’t really know what he believed. One second he was freezing in front of a tent, upset with what just happened with Nagini, and the next he was sitting by a warm fire with the only person he really wanted to be with. Granted he was dreaming, but was it a dream he could believe? Would Ginny be waiting for him? If he survived, of course.

“I think I’m going to go with…no, I don’t believe that. It’s you that keeping me going. Knowing that I’m doing this for you, that’s what motivates me,” he said as he twirled a piece of her hair with his fingers. “But it’s okay if I’m wrong, as long as you’re happy.”

“Rubbish, Harry,” she replied with a roll of her eyes.

“Huh?” He really wasn’t sure what she was talking about. He was serious–wasn’t he? If he really did make it through this and saw her with someone else, but she was happy, would he be all right with that?

“You know what I’m talking about. Do you really think you’ll be all right if you saw me dating someone else?” she echoed his thoughts.

Either this really was his dream, or she just knew him very well. As he thought about it, he realized that she did know him. Harry could remember times when they first started dating where she would say exactly what he was thinking. It surprised him at first, but soon he realized that it was comforting to know there was someone who understood him. But he also knew her. And he knew that she could do anything she set her mind to and nobody would be able to stop her. If she wanted to be happy with someone else, who was he to tell her anything?

“Well, no, but I wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.”

“Yes you could! You could fight for me.” Her voice was rising. Wasn’t this supposed to be a good dream? Why were they arguing?

“I’ve wanted you since I was a little girl, Harry. We spent a few brilliant weeks together. I was more upset when you broke up with me than when I broke up with Michael and Dean combined. Do you really think I would date someone else?!”

Did he really think that? Why, when he knew she was in love with him? He really was thick sometimes.

Ginny had told Harry that she loved him a week after they had got together. This surprised him, mostly because no one had ever told him that before. But so soon? He had asked her how she knew and she just shrugged and said that she just did. She seemed a little embarrassed after she said it. He didn’t think she meant to say it right then and there, it had just come out. But he just smiled and kissed her, making her forget the words that had just come out of her mouth. He doubted that she ever told Michael or Dean that she loved either one of them. Harry definitely did not have adequate relationship experience, but even he knew what they had was special. No, she did love him and she would wait for him, no matter what. Even if he never said “I love you” back.

He gave her that cheeky trademark grin of his. “Well, that’s good to hear.”

“Hey!” She swatted him playfully in the arm but smiled back and put her head on his shoulder. “You know better than to wind up a red head who also happens to be a Weasley.”

“You’re right.”

“As usual.”

“What was I thinking?”

“You weren’t. Also, not unusual.”

A long time passed. Well, it was a dream, so to Harry, it felt like a lifetime; a very happy and content lifetime. They were cuddled in the chair in comfortable silence. Harry was stroking Ginny’s hair and she was stroking his arm every now and then. This seemed an odd dream, where most was spent not talking, or doing anything else really, but it was exactly what Harry needed.

Just being with Ginny gave him the confidence he needed. Even if she was only a dream, he took comfort in the fact that being away from her for so long did not mean that he had forgotten what she looked like, or smelled like. And since she mentioned it, he realized that there really was a part of him that knew he could do it.

It was just very, very deep down. It didn’t mean he wasn’t scared anymore. He still was. Really scared in fact. He just had a new-found resolve.

He was going to do this and he was going back to Ginny once it was all over. Voldemort had taken enough of his happiness.

“There’s my Harry.” Ginny was staring at him with so much affection he couldn’t help but lean down and kiss her.

Harry didn’t think that he would ever figure out how she knew what he was thinking. But he wasn’t going to worry about it, as long as she was there with him, she could voice his thoughts whenever she wanted. Even in his dream.

So far, it was one of the best dreams he had ever had.

Unfortunately, it had to come to an end and he was going to have to go back to the harsh reality of finding the Horcruxes.

“I don’t want to go,” he said solemnly. “It’s cold out there.”

Ginny kissed him softly. “You can do this Harry. I believe in you. I’ll be waiting.”

“I’m coming back for you, Gin. I’ll do whatever it takes,” he told her honestly.

As her brown eyes looked into his emerald green ones, he knew in that moment that he was in love with Ginny Weasley. And he was going to fight like hell to be able to tell her that in person.

All too suddenly, he was awake and back in the freezing forest in front of the tent. He couldn’t remember why he had the Marauder’s Map in his hand. It was Christmas, Ginny wouldn’t be at Hogwarts, she would be at the Burrow. He hoped.

But it was Christmas, and he realized that a dream like that, at a time like this, was the best present he could ask for. Everything was going to work out. It had to.

He stretched out his neck, having fallen asleep at an odd angle when, as if his thoughts were being confirmed, he saw a silvery doe…




Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear