Search:

SIYE Time:14:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Origins of Reality
By PotterBoy90 and Zero

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, Humor, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews: 29
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

*** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Harry’s fifth year brought about many mixed emotions. From learning he had been in the Dark Lord’s mind, to losing his godfather, Harry was spinning out of control very quickly. Mix this with Dudley and his gang bringing up a few painful memories and a whole new perspective is thrown upon Harry’s well known story of the fateful night that gave him his scar. *** Rated R for Language, violence, and some sexual situations. *** This will be the FIRST story in our series
Hitcount: Story Total: 23456; Chapter Total: 4165





Author's Notes:
A/N: This Chapter was written entirely by Zero, please let us know if you prefer one writing style over the other. I (PotterBoy) wrote the first two chapters. We have a few more chapters lined up before we can get to any requests about who you want writing the chapters for the most part.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 3: An Unexplained Language

Number 4 Privet Drive was normal in all concerns, except for two of the occupants, at least according to Vernon and Petunia Dursley. The occupants of the house consisted of Vernon, Petunia and Dudley Dursley, along with Harry and Rose Potter.

Vernon was a beefy man with short brown hair, which he always kept flat and neat. He felt anyone whose hair was not at least combed looked unkempt. He was not a very tall man, but there was an air about him that made him seem that much more menacing if one was to get on his bad side. Vernon worked for Grunnings Drill Firm, where he was a corporate executive.

Petunia, however, was a tall, skinny woman with natural blonde hair. She was horse faced with a long neck that seemed to be very useful in spying on her neighbors. She did not have a job, instead she stayed home and kept the house clean, spied on the neighbors and watched Dudley while Vernon was at work. It was often questioned what Vernon and Petunia saw in each other, but it was never brought up.

Vernon and Petunia's son Dudley Dursley was a phenomenon in his own right. One would wonder how he walked, let alone ran. By the time he was five years old he looked like he could pass for a baby whale; well, a baby whale with blond hair. That did not stop Petunia and Vernon from spoiling him rotten. Every birthday he would have a table full of presents piled high, and every birthday after that it would just keep getting bigger.

However, the last two occupants of the house were not treated as family. Instead they were treated almost like slaves. Harry and Rose Potter were Petunia's sister's children. Lily and James Potter had died when they were only one year old. Harry and Rose had been forced to live with the Dursleys since then because they had no other living blood relatives. Petunia had told them that their parents had died in a car crash because they had both been drunk. Both Harry and Rose knew that she was lying, but they did not know how their parents had actually died.

Harry was a small and skinny boy for his age. He had jet black hair that was always messy and unkempt. It was only one of the many things Vernon complained about regularly. Rose was also small for her age, but instead of black hair she had beautiful red hair. It wasn't as dark as auburn, but it wasn't fiery looking either and it was extremely long. It came all the way down to her lower back. Whenever Petunia tried to cut her or Harry's hair it somehow grew itself back to the length they each liked for themselves overnight

For being twins Rose and Harry looked strikingly similar except for the hair on their heads. Besides both of them being rather small for their age, they both had piercing, emerald green eyes that looked as if they were able to see into ones soul. The second similarity was a rather odd one. Petunia attributed it to the "car crash", but as soon as she told them this they knew it was a lie. Anyways, the other similarity was the lightning bolt shaped scar on their foreheads above their right eye. It was completely identical in every way. It was in the exact same spot, it was the exact same length and it looked exactly the same; it also had the exact same redish tinge to it. Luckily they could both cover it with their hair; Rose, however, had a bit harder time keeping it covered because her hair would get in her eye.

One could attribute their size to the lack of food they received from their relatives. In Vernon’s mind Harry and Rose were as “unnatural” as one could be, and “unnatural” was a bad thing in Vernon’s opinion. Due to their "unnaturalness," they started doing chores by the time they were four years old. They did all the dishes, they watered Petunia's garden and they were forced to clean much of the house.

The Dursleys home on Number 4 Privet Drive was a rather large house. It was a two story house and it had four bedrooms, two bathrooms and a rather large cupboard under the stairs. This cupboard had been home to Harry and Rose for the first three years of their life at the Dursleys. The night of October 31, 1981 when Harry and Rose had mysteriously appeared on the Dursley's doormat in a basket wrapped in a baby blue blanket, sleeping soundly right next to each other, was a fateful night which forever changed their lives.

When they were four years old Vernon had to give in and allow them to have the smallest bedroom upstairs because they just could not fit in the cupboard anymore. They were glad to finally have a bed and not just a mattress on the floor with a few blankets. Even though the bed was old it was still much nicer than what they had before. The room also had a small desk and dresser they were allowed to use. However, other than that the room was quite bare except for a window overlooking the front yard. Harry and Rose had grown accustomed to sharing almost everything together. They were not only brother and sister, but they were best friends. They were very protective of each other, being their only true family. They didn't count the Dursleys as real family. Anytime Dudley's friends came over they were not allowed to play with them or to bother them. They never understood why, but they knew that they did not want to get on the bad side of Uncle Vernon. They also learned from an early age not to show their emotions in front of their relatives, especially their anger. When they get angry strange things start to happen. The most common was that objects hovered off the ground a few inches. One time a window had shattered when they were extremely angry. Uncle Vernon of course had blamed them for it and they had no idea why.

They only spoke in front of their relatives when spoken to, but that doesn't mean they never exchanged any form of communication. Harry and Rose could speak to each other through their minds. They didn't know how it worked, but they knew it was very useful for them. It kept them out of trouble for talking near their relatives and they could decide how best to deal with a situation should one arise. Besides being able to talk to each other, they knew what the other would say or do before they did it, so they could so some simple things in tandem pretty well. The one thing they learned from an early age was how to lie their way out of almost any situation to a degree. Uncle Vernon always punished them for whatever odd thing happened, but they always managed to find some way to lessen the punishment. Harry and Rose also had one other special talent that they knew about. No matter where they were they always knew where the other was. They knew exactly where, but nothing more than that. The only other thing they could "do" was sense the others emotions. They knew how the other was feeling when they focused on them. They attributed all of this to being twins and they thought it could have something to do with the scar on their foreheads, but they were not completely sure about that because they still did not know how they had gotten the scar.

Even though they believed they got their "talents" because of being twins and possibly through the fact that they shared a scar, they still knew there was another difference between them and everyone else. It didn't help that Uncle Vernon called them 'unnatural' and 'freaks'. They knew they were different because a few things happened to them that they had never seen happen to anyone else. For one their hair would grow over night if they got a hair cut. Another reason was when they got angry strange things happened. They knew for a fact that strange things did not happen when other people were angry because Uncle Vernon always found some reason to be angry with them. Also, they didn't know how any two people could have identical scars. Besides that however, a few strange occurrences had happened before. Once when they were four Dudley had been picking on Rose and Harry had yelled at him and told him to shut up. When Dudley tried to reply nothing came out. His mouth kept moving, but no sound came out. He had run to Uncle Vernon when he realized he could not speak. Harry and Rose had ended up without food for a week. Another time they were in the same room with Dudley when suddenly his hair became pink. Again they were blamed for this, but the punishment was not as severe because Vernon and Petunia had been in the room at the same time and did not see anything odd happen, besides his hair becoming pink.

Harry and Rose were excitedly counting down the days before they could finally start Primary School. Although Dudley was also starting, he did not seem as excited. They had been looking forward to starting school for the past year. Not only would they be able to get away from the Dursleys for most of the day, but they would finally be able to make some friends and hopefully find someone that would appreciate their intelligence. Vernon and Petunia would always tell Harry and Rose that they were stupid, insignificant, and worthless. However, contrary to popular belief among the Dursleys, Harry and Rose were quite intelligent. They picked up on topics quickly and easily. They had tried to teach themselves to read, but it did not end up working out too well because they had no idea where to start.

~*~

"BOY! GET UP AND GET YOUR SISTER UP AS WELL!" Uncle Vernon yelled from downstairs.

"Urgh," Harry muttered as he wiped the sleep from his eyes. He was never happy to wake up this early, but he and his sister had become accustomed to waking up early to “earn their keep” as their Uncle like to put it.

"Whaaa happen Hawwy?" Rose muttered, still half asleep.

"BOY! I SAID GET UP!" Uncle Vernon yelled, if possible, sounding even louder than the first time.

"I'm coming Uncle!" Harry half-heartedly yelled.

"Rose, it's time to wake up," Harry said softly to his sister. He hated to wake up his sister this early, but it had to be done or his Uncle would punish them for some unforeseen thing he would claim they did.

"Already?" Rose murmured.

"Yea, sorry sis, Uncle Vernon is yelling at us to get up," Harry said while sighing deeply.

"Whaaa time is it?" Rose said in the middle of a yawn.

"Dunno, we'll have to go downstairs to check," Harry replied.

"GET DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT!" Uncle Vernon screamed from the bottom of the stairs.

"I suppose we should get down their then before Uncle Vernon explodes," Rose said.

"COMING UNCLE VERNON!" Harry and Rose yelled at the same time.

Harry and Rose quickly got dressed and hurried downstairs to find their Aunt and Uncle at the kitchen table. Both of them were drinking coffee and Uncle Vernon had the newspaper out, most likely turned to the business section. They glanced at the clock and saw that it was only 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday in the middle of August. They realized they only had one more week until school started. Now that Harry and Rose were five they were excitedly counting down the days before they could finally start Primary School.

"It's about time you two got down here," Uncle Vernon said rather angrily.

"Sorry Uncle," Harry replied quickly.

"Eat your breakfast and then do the dishes," Aunt Petunia told them while pointing to the two plates on the table with toast on them.

Harry and Rose ate their meager breakfast of two pieces of toast each. After they had finished they quickly did everyone's dishes. As soon as they had finished Dudley came waltzing into the room. How he could waltz in with all that fat, they could not figure out.

"Good morning, Diddydumkins sit down while I get you your breakfast," Aunt Petunia said in a sweet tone to Dudley.

"Morning son," Uncle Vernon said in a fatherly tone.

"Morning Mum, Dad," Dudley replied as he sat down in the chair. He took up the whole side of the table he sat on. It was a wonder he did not break the chair.

"Mummy I want more food than that!" Dudley said in an obnoxious tone when Petunia gave him his plate piled with food.

'Oh no poor Diddydumkins might starve,' Rose said in a tone mocking Dudley's.

'That might not be such a bad thing…,' Harry said stifling a real laugh.

"There is more on the stove Diddy," Aunt Petunia replied.

"Harry and Rose, you will be cleaning the windows and dusting off the pictures before we go to the store today to get you your uniforms for school and when we get back you will water the gardens," Uncle Vernon said to them.

"Yes Uncle Vernon," they replied in unison.

"Will you stop doing that!" Uncle Vernon said loudly.

"Sorry," Harry muttered.

"Go do your chores," Uncle Vernon said effectively ending the conversation.

Harry and Rose went to the cupboard where they used to sleep and got out the supplies they needed.

'I can't believe we used to live in there,' Rose said.

'I know, I'm just glad we don't anymore,' Harry replied.

'It isn't like its any better having to share a room with you,' Rose said playfully.

'Oh hush sis, you know you love me,' Harry retorted.

'You know I do,' Rose replied.

They quickly cleaned the windows and dusted off the pictures. They went back to their room while they waited for Uncle Vernon to tell them they were going to go get their new uniforms.

"Let's go!" Uncle Vernon yelled from downstairs sometime later.

Harry and Rose ran down the stairs two at a time. They were excited to finally be getting their uniforms for school.

Once everyone was in the car Uncle Vernon drove to the second hand store for Harry and Rose. They knew they would not be getting brand new uniforms, but they were excited nonetheless. They quickly got two uniforms each. Harry got two white shirts and two pairs of black pants while Rose got two white blouses and two black skirts. Once everything was paid for they went to a new clothing store for Dudley. He got five pair of expensive uniforms, but they were the same color as Harry and Rose's. He also got a new pair of trainers for school.

Outside of the store while heading towards the parking lot a strange looking man with purple robes approached Harry and Rose. He stared at their foreheads before bowing deeply and bustling off in the other direction.

"Crazy people these days," Uncle Vernon muttered under his breath.

'What was that Rose?' Harry said slightly confused.

'I have no idea Harry; did he just bow to us?' Rose asked.

'I suppose so...' Harry replied, feeling quite lost.

By the time they got back to the house it was already one o'clock. They ate a quick lunch of one sandwich each before going out front to water the garden. The garden in the front yard only took a short time because it was much smaller than the one in the backyard. As they headed into the backyard they saw Dudley playing with a toy lawnmower. When he moved it the balls inside the dome would pop up, making an odd popping noise as it moved. While they were watering the garden in the backyard they heard Dudley yelp and turned to see him backing away from a bush. They quickly ran over to him and saw that there was a gardner snake there.

"S-s-snake," Dudley yelped as he backed away even farther.

The snake turned to look at Harry and Rose. It gave them an odd, calculating look before it hissed. When it hissed they almost jumped when they could understand it.

"Hello, why didss that one runsss away?" the snake hissed.

"You can speak?" Rose asked incredulously. She had never heard of a snake that could talk, so she did not know whether to be alarmed or excited.

"Of coursss I can speak," the snake answered.

"I think he was scared of you," Harry told the snake.

"Why isss he scared ofss me?" the snake asked.

"Oh, I dunno because you're a snake?" Rose said.

Dudley stares at them while they talk to the snake. While trying to decide what to do he blurts out, "Are you talking to that snake?"

"Yes," Rose replies quickly without thinking about who had asked her the question. As soon as she realized Dudley had asked she went wide eyed in horror. She knew Dudley would go running to his mum and dad to tell on them.

"MUMMY, DADDY! HARRY AND ROSE ARE TALKING TO A SNAKE!" Dudley screamed while running into the house. A moment later Uncle Vernon came out looking enraged.

"WHAT THE DEVIL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING SCARING DUDLEY LIKE THAT?!" Uncle Vernon shouted. It was a wonder the whole neighborhood did not hear him.

"Uhm, nothing," Harry replied a little too quickly.

"NOTHING MY ARSE!" Uncle Vernon shouts. "Now what the devil is this about talking to a snake?" Uncle Vernon says. His face had gone purple from anger and the shouting.

"I don't know, sir," Rose replied.

'Let me take care of this Harry, don't say anything,' Rose said.

'You sure?' Harry asked.

'Yes,' Rose replied.

"Well, don't let it happen again AND DO NOT SCARE DUDLEY," Vernon almost shouted the second half of his sentence at them.

"Sorry, Uncle Vernon," Rose replied.

"You'll get no dinner tonight, now finish watering and go upstairs, and do not let me see you again tonight," Uncle Vernon said through clenched teeth.

"WHAT?!" Harry blurted out.

'SHH Harry do you want to get us in more trouble?' Rose asked.

'No, sorry Rose,' Harry replied quickly.

"Sorry, Uncle Vernon," Harry said a moment later.

"You better be boy..." Uncle Vernon said gruffly.

"Now finish your chores or you'll get no food for three days!" Uncle Vernon said as he headed back inside the house.

'Well that could have gone worse...' Rose said.

'Do you know how we talked to that snake Rose?' Harry asked.

'I have no idea...let's finish up watering and go upstairs. We can go to sleep early and hopefully not be tired tomorrow,' Rose said tiredly.

They quickly finished watering where they had left off and then headed upstairs to go to sleep before Uncle Vernon could yell at them anymore. It was only five o'clock, but they were starting to get tired from the days events and waking up so early. They fell asleep next to each other with Harry's arm protectively around Rose, each thinking about what had happened with the snake and Uncle Vernon.
Reviews 29
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear