Search:

SIYE Time:0:04 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Need
By iluvfanfics

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 725
Summary: Their nightmares and demons bound them together. Their love helped them to survive. Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley knew they needed each other; the trouble was in admitting it.
Hitcount: Story Total: 276982; Chapter Total: 14357
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 29

The Burrow was silent. More quiet than it been for several years. With Voldemort gone there were no restless sleepers or nightmarish cries or the quiet thuds of constant patrols around the house. The occupants slept peacefully, trusting that the wards surrounding the property were enough to keep out pesky reporters and other unwelcome guests.

It was so quiet in fact that Hermione’s cat Crookshanks was startled when a soft “Lumos” was heard from the foot of the staircase in the kitchen. The soft light caught him square in the face, and he blinked rapidly before jumping down from the kitchen table, knowing that he would be scolded if found there.

“Ginny?” a voice whispered.

“I’m here,” came the whispered reply.

The light moved until it shone on the petite redhead standing in the doorway to the living room. She was dressed for travel; a plain woollen cloak covered her jeans, heavy boots and a bulky sweater. One hand gripped her wand while the other grasped a carpetbag.

“Put the light away, Harry,” she said irritably. “Mum’s got radar about such things.”

Harry put out the light, but kept his wand. He pointed it at the bag in Ginny’s hand and mumbled a quick spell. The bag shrank and Ginny pocketed it. He turned his wand on his own bag, shrunk it and shoved it in his own pocket.

“Are you ready for this?” he asked quietly.

She nodded and stepped closer to him as he snaked his arm around her waist. He brushed a kiss across her temple.

“Are you?” she whispered.

He smiled against her hair. “I am unbelievably ready for this.” He lifted her hand and placed a soft kiss on the emerald ring he’d put on her left ring finger less than two months ago. The ring was usually invisible to everyone, but she’d removed the charm and he delighted in seeing it on her hand.

“Let’s go then, before they wake up.” Ginny moved out of his loose embrace and pulled a folded piece of parchment out of her back pocket. She placed the note, addressed to the “Weasleys and Hermione” on the kitchen table and stealthily moved to the back door which she opened with a wave of her wand.

Harry paused on his way to follow her out onto the porch and looked back at the note lying in the middle of the table. “Do you think they’ll ever forgive us for this?”

Ginny shrugged casually, trying to hide the fact that she’d been wondering the same thing. “Probably. Eventually.” She pulled her hood up over her hair and stepped quietly out onto the porch.

“We could stay you know,” he said. “We could do this the old fashioned way.”

Ginny glared at him. “Not a chance, Potter. We’ve been over and over this. This is the best way.”

Harry bit back a chuckle and stepped out onto the back porch behind her. “Fine, fine. I just hate to make your mum mad at us. She’s going to think we deprived her.”

“All the more reason to get going,” Ginny retorted. “Besides, I’m sure you’ll be able to sweet talk her when we get back.”

Harry reached for her hand as they stepped off the porch and into the grass. Quietly and quickly they made their way to the edge of the Weasleys’ property where the wards ended and apparition was safe again.

Harry and Ginny had been planning for this night for two weeks. It was the darkest time of the month and the blackest point of the night. They’d dressed carefully in dark clothing so they would blend in – they hadn’t wanted to risk someone looking out of a bedroom window and seeing figures moving around the grounds. Ginny had suggested they just fly out of there, but Harry reminded her that Bill had set up the wards to repel brooms. So they were forced to walk.

Soon they were out of sight of the house and both Harry and Ginny breathed a sigh of relief. They maintained their silence however, not wanting the slight breeze to carry their voices back to the house. Absolute secrecy was of paramount importance. They didn’t want anyone to know they were gone until the morning when it would be too late to stop them. Or find them.

It took twenty minutes to reach the edge of the extensive wards Bill had laid out. Ginny lifted her wand and pointed it at a particularly special tree root. She mumbled a spell under her breath and there was slight shimmer in the air that quickly disappeared as they passed through it. Harry walked a few more feet and stopped while Ginny reset the wards.

“You’ve got the coordinates memorized?” he asked, turning to Ginny.

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, we’ve been over them a hundred times. I’ll go first and wait for you.”

“Right.” Harry hesitated and then yanked her towards him by the shoulders. His lips met hers in a searing kiss that left both of them panting. He pulled away, and swallowed heavily. “Sorry, I just wanted to -”

He was cut off when Ginny grabbed his head and pulled it back to hers for another kiss. His hands fisted on the back of her woollen cloak while she ground against him, one hand tangled in the back of his hair, the other still gripping her wand.

“Damn, Ginny,” he said, when she pulled away. “I can’t wait to -”

“I know,” she said, smiling at him. “Let’s just get going.” She stepped back and smiled at him bravely before turning on her heel and disappearing with a soft “pop.”

Harry took a second to calm his breathing and concentrated on the apparition coordinates they’d agreed upon weeks ago. He turned on his heel and felt the usual squeezing sensation before appearing next to Ginny. It was the farthest either of them had ever Apparated, and he smiled sheepishly at Ginny as he patted down his body to make sure everything had come with him.

“You’d think we’d be used to this by now,” he said to her in an undertone. They’d been Apparating solidly for weeks.

“I did the same thing,” she confessed. “Look, I think we’re supposed to go over here.” She nudged him and pointed to a desk where a wizard was sleeping on a desk, his head propped up on his folded arms.

“Guess we won’t have to put him to sleep,” Harry said wryly. They’d decided beforehand their trip coordinates should remain completely secret. They were prepared to perform memory charms wherever necessary. They were Apparating internationally, and unfortunately each international Apparation checkpoint required a registering of wands. The new Ministry of Magic rule was designed to capture the few Death Eaters still at large, but all it really did was provide a rather large nuisance.

They had no intention of registering their wands. Harry had planned on hitting the checkpoint guards with sleeping spells, but as this guard was already asleep he pocketed his wand and nodded at Ginny who disappeared with another soft pop. Harry marvelled at how quiet her apparitions were getting before he followed her to the next set of coordinates.

Ginny shivered when she appeared in Britain’s Apparation checkpoint in Siberia. It was icy cold and deserted. They’d chosen this route because it was the least travelled of wizarding apparition routes. Now she knew why most wizards chose the southern route through Asia. Harry appeared a moment later. This checkpoint was thankfully deserted, and they quickly Apparated to the next checkpoint in Japan. They hadn’t wanted to appear at such a highly populous place, but it was the only option. Luckily it was still really early in the morning. A lone security guard barely looked up when she appeared, and she quickly hit him with a sleeping spell before he could see her face. Harry did a small memory charm on him when he arrived just to ensure the guard would have no memory of Ginny’s arrival.

Ten minutes after they began their journey they arrived at their final destination: Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia in South East Asia. They’d chosen this area because the wizarding population was highly isolated, and they figured they could find what they needed without raising too much attention. They wanted to be anonymous, and both hoped that very few Indonesian wizards had heard of Harry Potter.

Ginny didn’t realize how drained she felt until they’d snuck out of the Apparating checkpoint without being seen and stopped to look at the map Harry had brought him.

“Apparating this far, that quickly takes a lot out of you,” he commented, when Ginny slumped against him in the alleyway beside the Apparation office.

“How come you’re not exhausted?” she asked.

“I’m a more powerful wizard,” he deadpanned. “Thought that was obvious.”

Ginny mustered up enough energy to kick him in the shin. She ignored his protests and straightened back up. “How far away are we?” she asked, covering a yawn with her hand.

Harry folded the map and put it back in his pocket. “Several miles,” he said. “But I think we should take a taxi or something. We’re supposed to be Muggles.”

“Fine,” Ginny grumped. She unfastened her cloak and took out the suitcase Harry had shrunk earlier at the Burrow. It sprang back to original size when she nudged it with her foot, and she shoved the cloak inside before hefting the bag back up. Harry did the same before stepping out to the busy street and flagging down a taxi. It was early morning in Indonesia and the streets were full of busy commuters and shopkeepers opening their stores for the day.

The taxi driver kindly placed their luggage in the trunk of his old car without asking questions about where they’d come from. Once they were settled in the car, Harry handed the driver a slip of paper with the address of their destination on it, and he nodded happily before pulling out into early morning traffic.

The ride took thirty minutes, but Ginny barely noticed because she promptly fell asleep on Harry’s shoulder as soon as the car began moving. Harry forced himself to stay awake and watched the scenery grow more beautiful and tropical as the taxi took them outside the city limits. When the driver slowed down to avoid a herd of goats crossing the road, Ginny awoke with a start and looked around.

“Are we there yet?” she asked sleepily.

“I think we’re getting close,” Harry answered. “I saw a sign a few minutes back.” His estimation was closer than he thought and soon they pulled into a secluded and well-landscaped driveway that was quietly marked “Resort.”

“Very good resort,” their driver said in broken English. “Very private.”

“That was the point,” Harry said under his breath. The driver pulled to a stop in front a white stucco building surrounded by palm trees. Harry had made sure the hotel he and Ginny chose would be the most isolated they could find. It wasn’t easy to research such Muggle things under Hermione’s nose and not raise suspicions. He’d finally found this place after several clandestine trips to travel agencies in Muggle London. Simply titled “The Resort,” it boasted intense security and high privacy.

Ginny was out of the car before the driver could get out of his own seat to unlatch the door. She waited while he unloaded their suitcases and Harry paid him. She noticed Harry hesitating after he put his wallet back in pocket, his fingers twitching over where she knew he’d secreted his wand. He was probably deciding whether or not to memory charm the guy. Ginny caught his eye and shook her head slightly. The driver was harmless and barely spoke English. The chances of him knowing who they were or remembering he’d dropped off a young English couple at this place were slim.

Harry reluctantly let his hand drop away from his pocket and bent down to pick up their suitcases. Ginny followed him into the building, barely able to stifle a yawn as they entered a spacious and airy lobby, one wall of which was a giant window that looked out onto the beach.

“Hmm...,” Ginny sighed dreamily. “White sand and blue ocean – I could get used to this.”

“We could buy a beach house if you like,” Harry said absentmindedly. “When we get back to England.”

Ginny rolled her eyes behind his back as he signed the name “James Evans” in his usual scrawl to the hotel register. Harry was always forgetting that while he was as rich as a goblin, she was as poor as a mouse. She couldn’t just buy a beach house ,and she wasn’t going to use his money to do so.

“Harry, I’m not going to take your money and…” Her voice trailed off when he just looked at her with one eyebrow raised.

“Oh,” Ginny flushed. “Right. Sorry. Forgot.”

“I trust you’ll remember most of the time,” he said mildly, turning back to the receptionist at the front desk. The petite woman with shiny black hair handed him a key and showed him on a map on the wall how to find the location of their room.

Their “room” was actually a bungalow directly on the beach. Harry had specifically asked for accommodations as far from the main building as possible. Ginny followed him back out of the lobby and down a boardwalk that twisted and turned until it ended in a narrow walkway to a small cottage.

Ginny took the key from Harry to open the door and they stepped into a room with whitewashed walls and teak flooring and ceilings. The living room looked out over the ocean and double glass doors led to a small deck. She paused for a moment, watching the waves crash on the solitary beach before following Harry into the bedroom. A large bed stood in the centre, and Ginny decided she sort of liked the simple decorating scheme of white linens and cushions against a darker wood. Unfortunately she was entirely too tired to enjoy it right now. They’d left England at 2 a.m. and then Apparated halfway around the world. She was exhausted and if Harry’s droopy eyes were any indication, he was as well.

“What time is our appointment?” she asked while toeing off her shoes.

“6:30 this evening,” came the reply. “They’re staying open late just for us.”

Ginny lifted her jumper over her head and unfastened her jeans before shimmying them down her legs and throwing them into a heap in the corner. Clad in only her underwear and t-shirt she walked over to the side of the bed, pulled back the white comforter and crawled inside.

“Good,” she said wearily. “We’ve got a good eight hours to sleep then.” She snuggled underneath the covers and laid her cheek against the cool, crisp cotton covering on the pillow. “Coming to bed?”

“In a minute.” Harry walked into the adjoining loo where he quickly relieved himself and splashed some cool water on his face. He stripped his clothes off as he walked back into the bedroom and threw them over to join with Ginny’s in the corner. Pulling back the covers on his side of the bed, he sighed in relief when his body finally rested on the mattress. Who knew Apparating that far, that quickly could wear a bloke out so much?

He turned onto his side and wrapped an arm around Ginny’s waist, tugging her closer to him until she fit into the curvature of his body.

“Good night,” she mumbled, her voice muffled by the pillow.

“Good night,” he replied.

Harry laid his head next to Ginny’s on the pillow and they slept.

******

While Harry and Ginny were sleeping at a private resort in Indonesia, Molly Weasley and the rest of her family were sleeping peacefully, blissfully unaware that their youngest daughter and adopted son had snuck off during the night, leaving only a note behind to describe their actions.

It was only several hours after Harry and Ginny had left the Burrow that Molly woke up after a relatively dreamless sleep and began to prepare for the day. She showered and dressed quickly amazing herself at the energy she had these days. A good sleep did wonders for a body she decided, and Molly had slept peacefully for the past three weeks.

She woke Arthur up before she left the room and bustled downstairs to the kitchen where she grabbed her apron from the hook by the pantry and busied herself with breakfast. Molly didn’t notice the note on the table until the oatmeal was halfway done, and she was setting the bowls on the table. Curious, she picked up the note and scanned it quickly.

The resounding scream woke up the entire household.

Thuds, door slams and shouting led to the Weasley family, sans Harry and Ginny, but including Hermione, running down the stairs like a herd of elephants. Bill and Arthur reached the kitchen first, wands drawn, their faces frantic. Fred and George landed behind them, their faces fierce. Ron and Hermione stayed on the steps with Charlie, all three of them gripping their wands. They were all in various stages of undress. Arthur had obviously gotten out of the shower and had just barely managed to throw on a dressing gown. Bill was bare-chested and wearing only a pair of trousers. The rest were still in their pyjamas.

“Molly,” Arthur demanded. “What is it, what’s wrong?” He crossed the room quickly to his wife who had slumped into a chair beside the table, her face frozen in shock.

“Molly?” he asked, in a worried tone. “What is it? What’s going on? Why did you scream?”

“Ar-Ar-Arthur,” his wife finally whispered, her voice trembling, her hands shaking. “They — they - they’ve gone.”

“Who’s gone Molly? Who?” Arthur sat down next to her and put an arm around her shoulders. She turned into his embrace with a wail, and the note she’d been gripping drifted back down to the table. Arthur wrapped both arms around her and motioned to Bill to pick up the note.

Bill pocketed his wand and stepped forward to retrieve the note from the table. He read it quickly, his face paling and sat down in the chair across from his mother. “This is a joke, right? They’re just kidding us?”

“What does it say son?” Arthur urged. “Read it out loud.”

Bill took a deep breath and cleared his throat. “It’s um…from Harry and Ginny. They…they say they’ve…um…eloped.”

Arthur’s mouth dropped open in shock as he stared at his eldest son. Ron gave a strangled noise on the staircase while Hermione gave a soft gasp and covered her mouth with her hands. Fred pocketed his wand and walked over to read the note over his brother’s shoulder.

“Blimey,” he whistled through his teeth. “They’ve really done it then.”

Molly lifted her head from her husband’s shoulder and turned a tear-stained face towards him. “Did you know they were going to do this?” she hissed at him.

Fred backed away, his hands held up as if he could ward off his mother. “No, honestly. I had no idea…well, I had no idea they would do this, but really -” he looked to George for help, scowling when his brother shook his head at him. “C’mon, mum, everyone knew they’d be together.”

“But not like this,” Molly sniffed and fumbled for a hanky in her pocket. “Not so young! Not eloping! Ginny’s still got a year of school left. Why couldn’t they just tell us they wanted to get married…we would have planned a wedding…oh, Arthur!” She buried her face back in her husband’s shoulder while her family looked on helplessly.

“What else does the note say, Bill?” Charlie stepped all the way into the kitchen and pulled a seat out next to his brother.

Bill shrugged. “It says they didn’t want to deal with the press and attention if they got married in England, and they didn’t want to wait any longer.” He held the note close to his face. “I think Ginny wrote this, her handwriting is atrocious. She says to not try and find them, that they’ve taken all the necessary precautions, and she’s confident they won’t be bothered or discovered. Expect them home in three weeks, they love us, they’re sorry they had to keep it a secret, blah blah blah.”

He tossed the note in the centre of the table, a smile quirking at the corner of his lips. Charlie picked up the note, his smile matching Bill’s.

“I can’t believe they didn’t tell us,” Ron said dully, collapsing into a seat at the table.

“It makes sense though,” Hermione said quietly. She faltered when all eyes turned towards her, but she plunged on bravely. “Can you imagine what the press would do if they learned Harry Potter was marrying Ginny Weasley? They’d be crawling all over this place. There wouldn’t be a moment’s peace. None of us would be able to leave the house. It would have driven them crazy. They would have wanted something more…private.”

“But alone!” Molly cried. “No family around to even act as witnesses! Why would they want that?”

Hermione shrugged. “I expect they didn’t really think of it like that. They just wanted to be married; I don’t think they care about logistics.”

She met Molly’s eyes squarely, then shifted her gaze to Arthur’s and then on to the rest of the family. “It’s always been meant-to-be for them, you know,” she said softly. “The rest of us never stood a chance. We couldn’t have stopped them if we wanted to.”

Hermione shook her head. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't have wanted to stop it. I know they're young, but you've seen them together -- how could any of us deny them this? Harry's been fighting his whole life for her. And Ginny -- she needs him."

Her statement was met with silence, and she went willingly when Ron tugged her down to sit on his lap. Fred and George took the last remaining chairs and the family sat in a stunned quiet.

“Hermione’s right. I…I guess they’re old enough to make their own decisions,” Arthur said finally. “In fact, they’ve been old enough for that for quite some time. I would rather Ginny choose Harry over anyone else.” He tightened his grip on his wife. “I wish we’d been there to see it, but I suppose it’s understandable. I could see how they felt about each other...even if I’m often blind about such things. It’s hard for a father to admit his daughter is grown up, but I suspect the decision was taken out of my hands years ago.”

Molly sniffed loudly, but didn’t comment.

“Wow, Ginny’s married,” George said suddenly. “Married. As in, you know…married.”

“Well, I think it’s great,” Charlie said suddenly. “I mean, he’s proven that he loves her. What more could we ask for?”

Molly dabbed at her eyes and smiled tremulously. “You’re right, Charlie. We know they love each other. Dumbledore said Harry wouldn’t have been able to defeat Voldemort if they hadn’t. We should be thankful Ginny has found such a nice young man. I just…I just wish they weren’t so young…”

“I think they’re both just really exhausted from everything,” Hermione said softly. “It’s only been two months since the end. They deserve a nice long vacation.”

Bill let out a big breath and rubbed his eyes before saying, “So what happens now?”

Arthur let go of Molly and stood up. “We pretend nothing has changed. We go about our business and protect their privacy at all costs. Someone is eventually going to notice their absence, and this information is not to leave this room.” He met each of their eyes. “Is that understood?”

There was a chorus of agreement and the family dispersed to begin the rest of their day. Arthur disappeared back upstairs presumably to finish his shower, followed closely by Bill and Charlie. Fred and George sprang up to fill their bowls with oatmeal while Molly remained seated at the table, her eyes vacant as she clutched the note Harry and Ginny had left behind.

Ron let his forehead rest against Hermione’s back. “Do you think they’ll be all right?” he asked in a low voice.

Hermione nodded. “I think with everything they’ve been through, being together is one of the few things they can hold onto. How could they not want to make that permanent, Ron? Voldemort’s gone – it’s their first time to really live in a long time. They deserve every bit of happiness they can get.”

“They’re so young,” he said anxiously. “Ginny’s only 17, Harry’s 18…I can’t even imagine…We’ve been through a lot too, Hermione, but I don’t…you don’t…expect that, do you?”

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned in his lap to face him. “No, Ronald. Just because it’s the right thing for them doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for us.” She kissed him on the cheek. “We’re fine. No rush, yeah?”

“Yeah,” he smiled briefly at her. “Guess things will be a bit different when they get back.”

She nodded and ran her hand through his hair. “It’ll be fine,” she said, reading his mind. “Harry will still need his best friend. He’ll still need you.”

Ron smiled and hugged her around the waist, hoping, and nearly positive, she was right.

Reviews 725
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear