Search:

SIYE Time:12:39 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Right on Target
By Tamaran Girl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 15
Summary: “So, Ginny,” Fred said conversationally as Harry tried focusing on the dartboard. “I heard Dean Thomas sent you a letter.” Harry’s dart soared right out the open window and a pained, “Ow!” followed shortly. – Harry plays darts, Ginny distracts, and talking (and a little snogging) ensues.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8624



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
So I wrote this story when HBP first came out and only now, rediscovered it and decided I should just post it. It might seem a bit fluffy/silly but whatever. Hope you enjoy and please review!




ChapterPrinter


Right on Target

“Harry,” Ron moaned, “how are you so bloody good at this game? You said it was your first time!”

Harry grinned sheepishly and shrugged. “It is.”

Fred and George snickered before Fred said sarcastically, “Oh sure. I’m sure it’s just those natural athletic abilities that kick in whenever you decide you want to try a new sport.”

It was summertime at the Burrow and the Weasleys had recently found, amongst Mr. Weasley’s collection of plugs, a dartboard. They had been playing for a few minutes and already, Harry was beating the twins and Ron.

“So, what was that? Double seventeen?”

“Yeah, all you need now is a Bull’s Eye and you win!”

Harry grinned as he picked up his three darts. “No problem.” He took his spot and began to carefully aim, focusing solely on the dartboard…nothing but the dartboard mattered…nothing could distract him —

“Ugh, Fleur is so annoying!” Startled, Harry released the dart and it pierced the wall, two feet from the dartboard.

Fred and George were rolling on the floor, clutching their stomachs as they laughed.

“Ginny, that was brilliant!” they cried at the same time.

“Excellent timing, Ginny!” Ron said, his lips twitching.

Harry felt his heart constrict as he slowly turned to face the person who had just thrown off his shot.

Ginny Weasley was staring at her twin brothers with an arched eyebrow. “What’s wrong with them?” she asked casually before sitting on the floor, off to the side. She smiled at Harry. “How is the dart game going?”

“Harry was winning and was doing great before you walked in,” Ron replied. “You messed up his shot.”

Her hands flew to her mouth. “Oh! I’m so sorry!”

“It’s all right,” Harry mumbled, studying his shoes intently.

“Yeah, well, maybe Harry needs some Firewhiskey to loosen him up,” Fred said, smirking. His twin picked up on the smirk and laughed.

“Or maybe some gin and tonic, don’t you say, Fred?”

“He is looking a little peaky, maybe he would like some red wine?”

“Well, he’s so busy chasing dark wizards and all, I’ll say a good post-Quidditch victory in the common room might cheer him up?”

“How so?”

“Well, when one hears us Gryffindors win the Cup again, one gets all happy and do unexpected things — ”

“Can we get back to the bloody game?” Ron snapped, his ears red and he shot an apologetic look towards Harry, who scowled slightly, knowing exactly what the twins were implying and who they had found out from.

“Such language, Ronald, are you sure Hermione wants to go out with a guy like — ”

“So guys,” Ginny interrupted sweetly, “how are those clocks in the store coming along?”

Instantly, the twins fell silent, both of their faces turning Weasley red.

Ron looked impressed. “Wow, must be some blackmail.”

The redhead witch shrugged modestly but grinned wickedly at her twin brothers.

“Hey, let’s get back to the game,” George said gruffly and Fred nodded eagerly.

“C’mon, Harry, show Fred and George how it’s done,” Ron said encouragingly, obviously trying to get Harry to forget he told the twins about the common room snog.

Fred snorted. “Us? Who’s the one who’s only hit the board four times?”

“Guys, Harry’s trying to concentrate,” Ginny reminded her brothers before smiling encouragingly at Harry.

His stomach flip-flopped; her brothers weren’t the reason he couldn’t concentrate.

“So, Ginny,” Fred said conversationally as Harry tried focusing on the dartboard. “I heard Dean Thomas sent you a letter.”

Harry’s dart soared right out the open window and a pained, “Ow!” followed shortly.

Moments later, the eldest Weasley son poked his head in the window, a scowl on his face.

“Who threw that?” Bill snapped. “It hit me in the hand!”

“Seems old Potter is losing his touch!” George winked. “Or just a bit distracted?”

Bill’s scowl softened as he saw Harry’s beet red and apologetic face.

“Really? What distracted you, Harry? When I was in there, you were doing pretty well for a first-timer.” His eyes narrowed at the twins. “What’d you two do?”

“Well, darling older brother of mine,” Fred replied, his grin a little feral, “we were just asking Ginny here about a certain letter a certain boy from Hogwarts sent her.”

Bill’s eyebrows shot up. “Boy? What boy?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Honestly, it wasn’t much. Dean was just asking how my summer was going.”

“Dean?” Charlie walked in that moment and plopped himself on the couch. “Isn’t he that bloke you’re dating?”

“Ex-boyfriend,” Harry snapped and everyone turned to look at him. He turned red again.

“Sounds to me Dean’s not looking to be an ex anymore, Gin-Gin,” George said suggestively with a sly look towards a suddenly pale Harry.

“Nah, he’s probably just looking to be her friend,” Ron interrupted, tossing a worried glance at his friend, who now was turning redder by the moment and not from embarrassment. “Hey, why don’t we get back to the game, eh?”

Fred and George shrugged, wicked looks on their faces. “Whatever you say, Ronald. Is it still your turn, Harry?”

“Yeah, got one more,” Harry replied gruffly before focusing on the game. However, he could see Ginny out of the corner of his eye and she was biting her lip, something she used to do before they snogged…

Dammit.

“Are you going or not, Potter?” Charlie asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Huh?” He was snapped out of his trance.

“Darts, Harry, focus on aiming,” Bill muttered, watching him from his spot by the window warily and ready to duck.

The twins were trying their best not to crack up.

“Right, right.” Harry took aim again and squinted, trying not to focus on how Ginny’s hair was in a loose ponytail and strands of hair were framing her face…how he wanted to brush behind her ear before…

“Boys! Lunch!” Mrs. Weasley’s bellow had the living room cleared out within seconds, as the Weasley boys fought to get into the kitchen first. Harry, however, didn’t move and he noticed Ginny hadn’t either.

“You’ve got one more dart,” Ginny said quietly.

He looked down at the dart; it felt almost foreign against his sweaty, clammy hand.

Harry shrugged. “Doesn’t matter; I wouldn’t hit the Bull’s Eye anyway.”

Ginny’s eyebrows rose. “Why not? The twins were saying how well you were doing.”

“Yeah well, that was before…” he trailed off, embarrassed and angry with himself for acting this way around her. She was handling everything just fine; she looked calm and collected, the complete opposite of how he was feeling.

“So is it true Thomas sent you a letter?” The words came out unexpectedly and were harsh; Harry winced but waited for an answer.

She met his eyes evenly, without any expression. “Yeah, he did.”

Awkward silence followed her statement and Harry turned away, feeling the pangs of panic rise up in his chest. He tried unsuccessfully to force it away.

“So…will you be getting back together with him?” he asked gruffly, keeping his eyes away from her. He wasn’t sure how he would react if she replied yes.

There was an impatient huff and the next thing he knew, Ginny was standing in his face, her eyes blazing angrily. She jabbed a finger in his chest and he stumbled backwards, not expecting such force.

“You listen here, Potter,” she snapped. “You — ” Jab. “ — left — ” Jab. “ — me.” By now, Harry was forced against the wall, Ginny glaring at him. “What does it matter to you who I date?”

“Ginny, you know it matters,” he said quietly, staring into her eyes. “You know it matters a lot.”

She stared at him for a moment before turning away. “Yeah, well, you sure hide it well.”

The silence came back, thick with tension, and all Harry could do was ache to grab her and snog her senselessly. But at the moment — to his despair and relief — it seemed she wanted nothing to do with him.

So he was more than surprised when she turned back towards him, a blazing look on her face, as she grabbed the front of his shirt roughly and pull him into a hard, bruising kiss.

Not that he was objecting.

Almost as though it were the most natural thing to do, Harry melted against her and kissed her back with the same intensity, bringing her body closer towards his. He moaned slightly and he felt her lips quirk into a tiny smile before she pulled away. She cocked her head, studying him without expression.

“You’re leaving.” It was a statement, not a question, but Harry nodded anyways.

There was a pause. “And you won’t take me with you, no matter what I say or do?”

Harry swallowed and nodded. “Ginny, I — ”

“Come back.” He froze. Ginny swallowed deeply. “Just promise me, Harry, that you’ll…that you’ll come back to me, safe and sound.”

He hated himself; he hated the tears that burned against his eyes.

“Ginny, you know I can’t promise you that. I want to — oh Merlin, I want to so damn much — but I can’t.”

Pain flashed in her eyes and she closed them. A tear escaped and he wanted to wipe it away but didn’t move anywhere closer to him.

“But you want me to promise you I’ll be safe? How fair is that, Harry?”

“It’s not.” His words sounded so dead, so tired. “It never is with me.”

Her eyes popped open and she stared right into his eyes. “I won’t promise you that, Harry. That I’ll be safe.”

“But you have to be,” he whispered. “You’re the reason I’m doing this, Ginny; if you died, what would be the point of living?”

They fell quiet.

Harry summoned his courage and took a step towards her. Her eyes widened slightly but there was an understanding in her eyes that reassured him, that told him everything would be okay.

“I love you.”

The words were so quiet, he was scared she hadn’t heard them. But her eyes widened further and he knew she had heard them.

“I love you too.”

Relief soared through him — unspeakable happiness spread from his toes to his head — and he grinned goofily, with complete bliss. He could die right then and there a happy man.

No, he thought as he continued grinning foolishly at Ginny, his eyes suspiciously wet. He could live a happy man.

His grin suddenly vanished as a thought hit him. “Ginny, you know this doesn’t change anything, right? We’re still not together — we’re still broken up.”

She rolled her eyes but he knew she understood.

“So…” Ginny’s grin reminded him too much of the twins’. “Does this mean I can date other people? You know, since we’re — ”

Harry silenced her with a kiss, which she eagerly returned.

When they broke up, her beam was restored.

“You, Ginny Weasley,” Harry growled, “are not writing to Dean Thomas or any other bloke.”

“Hmm.” She shrugged, eyeing him coyly. “Not a big loss. There’s only one bloke I want to send letters to anyway.”

They grinned goofily at each other before Ginny tugged on his hand. “C’mon, I’m hungry.”

Harry laughed but stopped her. “I’ve got one more dart.”

Her eyebrow arched and she said cheekily, “Aren’t I a distraction, my presence and all?”

“Be quiet,” Harry replied before taking aim. Then he threw.

He turned back to Ginny, a full grin on his face.

“Look, Bull’s Eye!”

A sparkle twinkled in her eyes as she stepped closer to him.

“Yeah…Bull’s Eye…right on target…”

The two teenagers smiled before making their way to the kitchen, hand in hand, leaving the dart in the center of the dartboard.

Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear