Search:

SIYE Time:12:20 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


First Things, First
By RSS

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:None
Genres: Angst, Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 34
Summary: Harry can't help himself from walking Ginny back from Quidditch practice, can't help but laugh at her jokes during practice, can't help but stare her way every five minutes. What's a witch to think when the long lost object of her affection suddenly turns his attentions to her? Disbelieve it all, brush it off or take things into her own hands at risk of pure embarrassment and heartache? A String of missing moments from HBP.
Hitcount: Story Total: 22948; Chapter Total: 7010





Author's Notes:
I wrote this a really, really long time ago and it's just been sitting here waiting to either get deleted or get posted. I figured I would go ahead and just post. I havn't submitted anything in a very long time, mainly because I've been happily preoccupied :)…..but I'm still writing. I guess now's the time to get it out there. Let me know what you think…..RSS
I believe this is the right category, as this takes place during HBP. Oh and this is only about three more chapters and it's all finished so it should be up and done well before the new book is released if all goes accordingly. Cheers :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny pulled off her beat up chaser gloves, stepped out of her boots and pulled off her sweaty robes. Practice makes perfect, as they say, and it had been a good practice. With the team back together, they were flying better then ever. Of course, it was because they were getting down to the wire. The most important match of the year was in a week and they had been practicing all term!

They had a good captain though. Ginny smiled as she changed and noted that Harry looked happy today, as she was used to noting the ebb and flow of his mood, as she had for years and years anyhow and old habits tend to die hard as her mother would say. Ginny pondered the many reasons for his un-Harry like joviality and ultimately decided that surely it was the fact that they had Katie back and Dean off the team.

Although maybe, it was partially her doing too. She hadn't been taking things so seriously, she had been misbehaving something absolutely awful, distracting the team in general, and Harry had laughed so hard he'd gotten hit by a bloody bludger in the process. Twice.

She washed her face at the sink, thinking of dear Angelina and what trouble she would have been in had she put on a show like that for her old captain’s practices. Harry didn't seem to mind at all. He couldn't keep his eyes off her in fact. The look on his face was priceless, when she imitated Ron trying to catch the quaffle and he…blast, was it in her imagination or had he had been looking at her like he….was begging her to realize how much he….

Ginny bit her lip, upset at herself for once again worrying and scrutinizing every little look or move Harry bloody Potter makes. She grabbed her Quidditch bag and stepped outside. It was a bright, sunny, late spring day outside of the lockers causing her to squint and cover her eyes with her hand.

"Hey, Ginny!" It was Demelza.

Ginny trotted over to join her and Katie. "So we were just talking about the match and Katie thinks…." She kept talking on but Ginny's mind was other places she couldn’t even focus on anything the girl was saying.

That was because Ginny was facing towards the pitch and Harry, who was putting the bludgers away.

Git. She wondered how long she had been cleaning herself off and wondered why he hadn't already gone up to the castle himself. Don't even think it, she began but she couldn’t help herself. Could he be staying out long enough to catch a glimpse of her on the way out? Or walk her back from practice again? He glanced towards her suddenly and she hid her face with her hand, acting as if she were blocking out the sun.

But not a second later she was watching him again, she couldn’t help herself.

His elbow held down the offending ball and he chained it in place with his left hand, the muscles of said left arm glinting with a hint of new sweat and sunshine.

"Ginny!" Katie waved her hand in front of her nose.

"Eh?" Ginny blinked back from her reverie.

"I was just asking if you want to go eat with us!?!" Demelza laughed.

"Oh." Ginny smiled, trying to act cool. "Are you going to supper?"

"That's what we just said." Katie pointed out.

Ginny didn't want to go. She wanted to see if…. she quickly turned towards the girls. "I'll….I'll meet you there then…I just…I remembered something." She blurted out quickly. "Meet you up there, alright?"

"Alright." The girls gave her strange glances and began walking towards the castle.

Ginny took a deep breath. She was going to just approach him and get it over with. She wasn't even sure of what she would say, or do but it hit her about halfway towards him. Ginny remembered she had forgotten something.

Today, he had put her through the rounds, as his stand in, she knew she had to be ready for anything come next Saturday. But she had caught the snitch and promptly stuck it in her robes. She realized then that she still had it.

Ginny dug into her pocket and retrieved it from her robes, slightly embarrassed that it had actually been the furthest thing from her mind when he dismissed the team at the end of practice. She had to admit why. Mostly she had been watching his mouth as he talked, wondering what it would be like to kiss him, as she had done a million and a half times in her life. Habits. Bollocks.

Why did she act this way? Hadn't she come so far in the past two years, weren't they…friends?

Sort of, more like a cross between family members and perfect strangers. They were friends in the summer, they just…they ran with different crowds at school, that's all. Harry was…her brothers friend, and Hermione's and needless to say, Ginny knew that he put little thought into most other friendships…but they were definitely friendly even now. Ginny sighed. Friendly could be considered friend in some instances. They were friends enough to share lunches, and dinners and Christmas's and family for that matter. And to note, in the past year he had spoken to her more than he had in the previous four. So she could say they were friends if she wanted to.

Right. So when he had asked her to Hogsmeade months ago, it had been based purely on friendship. That murderous look he gave Dean when he and Ron caught them mid-snog was because, she was Ron's sister. The list when on. Ginny had stopped counting how many times she had caught him staring at her through lunch, and dinner. At first, of course, she brushed it off, thinking she had something in her teeth but then she would tell herself that it was truly ridiculous to think that he was staring at her. He was staring off into the horizons and she just happened to be in the way. But in time it got worse. The looks turned to wanting, desperate looks that were definitely not friendly.

And then he had walked her back from Quidditch a week past. He hadn't said anything about being remotely close to fancying her unless his way of saying that was discussing Quidditch strategies and her O.W.L preparation.

Ginny wanted to strangle him. Enough was enough.

Except that it wasn’t. She was hopelessly in love with someone loads more hopeless then herself. Ginny knew that if it had been anyone else, anyone at all, she would have turned on the charm and flirt and made it known that she wouldn’t take no for an answer. But with Harry, it was different. She didn't want to do anything to embarrass herself. She didn’t want to be that eleven year old behind the singing valentine again. And there was the possibility that she was wrong in judging his behaviors, and it was all in her head, which meant that if she acted on some whim, she might lose her status as his friend, which would be worse than anything. There was too much risk in that.

But she supposed there was no risk in giving him back the snitch. Ginny brushed her hair from her face and half blushed and as she approached him she swallowed something inside of her throat that felt like an extra large droobles gum ball. Perhaps today, she thought, he’ll get over his big fat head.

Suddenly, he seemed to notice her bobbing towards him, but instead of greeting her, Harry dove into the Quidditch supply box. When he looked up he grinned and she knew that he must have noticed that two golden wings were peeking from her small fist.

He squinted as he found her face in the late afternoon sun.

"Hey, Harry." She said brightly, tossed her pony nervously to the side and handed him the tiny ball," I'm sorry! I accidentally nicked this from practice, you should put it away I think. Remember what happened last time we lost one of these?"

"Yeah, the one that got away."

"Got away? It might have flown halfway to Australia by now,"

He chuckled and she smiled. Galloping gargoyles, he was so cute when he laughed. Her stomach swooped as if on a pendulum.

"Well, Harry, I don't want to end up in detention with Madame Hooch doing lines the likes of, 'I will not lose the snitch' a hundred times.' So… here you are."

She watched Harry fasten it into the small pouch. She had become so absorbed in her watching that when he looked up, she was still standing there. The moment of silence that ensued was quite painful actually.

"Alright then… well. Good practice, captain."

She turned to leave.

"Wait, Ginny."

She smiled widely, before cooling her expression and turning, her ponytail swinging around.

"Yes?" She breathed out.

"I'm…going too. Can I…can I walk with you."

She had to keep herself from smiling. "Yeah, sure. But hurry up because I'm starving."

"Well…" He looked as if he were thinking very hard and then swallowed. "If you want to go have an early dinner…we can go….together."

Ginny's heart leapt inside her chest, and she tried her hardest to look nonchalant. It wasn't that they didn't have dinner near each other almost every night now, but not with each other. Usually it was him swinging in ten minutes after she had arrived and filling his plate near her without asking, not him directly asking her to join him, just them. Inwardly, it was as if she was trying to tame a very brutal wild Cornish pixie banging relentlessly against her chest from the inside. She knew she couldn't say no to eating with Harry, or walking with Harry, or anything he asked her, really.

"Alright."

"Lets go then. Need help?"

"No." Harry grunted as he lifted the box of balls and his Quidditch bag, and they began to walk up the great field towards the castle.

"Hey, captain. You really got us working up there, I wondered if you were angry or something."

"I did? No, I'm not angry." He shook his head and grinned, "I'm sorry if I was acting strange up there."

"Harry, you're one of the best Quidditch players I've ever seen and you got hit with the Bludger today. Twice mind you! I was worried that we were going to lose you for a second, and then you nearly fell off your ruddy broomstick yourself!"

"I was laughing at you up there cracking jokes, it was your fault." He defended himself, while his cheeks flushed that shade pink that made her want to kiss them both. "You're right though, I wasn't concentrating…not very captain-like of me…especially since we have to win next Saturday or I'm finished.."

"I know. I want to cream Ravenclaw, Roger Davies and Cho Chang, smug as they are."

"Why Roger?" He asked suddenly.

"Oh, he's just a git." She looked off.

"Er... Alright." He looked at her warily.

"No, believe me, its nothing like that, Harry."

"Oh, right," Harry looked like he was really struggling with what she had just said but perhaps it was just his load of things he had to carry.

"Sure you don't want help?" She offered.

"I’m fine."

Maybe he wanted to look strong in front of her, but holding the case and his Quidditch bag was a trying task. She held her robes folded over her arms, and let him suffer, knowing she could cast a simple levitation charm but leaving him be, having learned from observation that Harry sometimes forgot that itchy little fact that he was a wizard.

More silence.

"Nice day for practice, wasn't it?" He offered.

"Oh yeah," Ginny sighed and looked down as she walked.

"By the way, Ginny, you were really brilliant up there today. You know, after my seventh year, I'm wondering if McGonagall will choose you for captain.…"

"Yeah? Why me? I don't think I can take captain after you. You're so good at it. I'd be rubbish."

"I don't think so. I think you'd be great."

"Well…thanks…but…"

"Ginny, " he interrupted, "do you really think I make a good captain?"

"Yes, I absolutely do think that."

"Thanks. I don't know, sometimes…"

"Well I'll put it this way. I like you better than Angelina. She was so moody when we played poorly, at least you're usually pleasant and mostly positive.…"

"Thanks, Ginny."

"You're welcome. So," she skipped ahead a step, "why do you think I would make a good captain, Harry?"

"Well, be…because you keep it together up in the air. Most only focus on their position, but you're aware of every thing around you. Sort of like how I play, I think it’s a seeker trait. Its just, you're really good that’s all."

"Thanks… but first of all, I’m a chaser. And second of all, unlike someone we know…Rooohoooon." She said his name through a rather nasty fake cough, "I don't need constant reassurance. Besides." she rolled her eyes at him playfully, "its just a game."

Harry stopped short and blew out a breath which caused a flap of his dark fringe to fly upward. "Well maybe it is to you. Ginny, you may not understand this but…if I don't win this cup…I'm finished. I can't give the title up the first year I'm captain….I can't be the cause of the first bottom of the table defeat in two centuries."

"Well, I can understand that. But to me…it is a game and I play it because I love it, not just for some stupid gold chalice. I guess its because I'm not a boy." she studied her fingernails smiling.

"Well let's thank goodness for that." he conceded a bit too seriously.

"Ha-rry!" She hit him playfully on the arm, "I know its important to you! What I meant is that there are other more important things to me, besides Quidditch!"

"I agree with that." She froze. It was now, it would be now. Harry took a deep breath and put down the Quidditch Supply Box. Her inner pixie that sometimes woke up when Harry was around flew in speedy dizzy circles when he faced her with this determined very distraught look on his face. Her heart was in her feet and he was looking at her so…wow, were his eyes always that green? She had no idea what he was about to do or say and then…sometimes Ginny wanted to hex her brother into oblivion.

"Here comes the terrific twosome." she stammered before he could say anything.

Harry looked behind him suddenly.

"Hey mate." Ron came up from behind and hit him on the shoulder. Hard. "How come you left me back there."

"I…" Harry began.

"Ronald!" Hermione ran up and pulled her brother by the arm. "I told you I needed you to come with me to pick up my essay!"

"Hermione, hold onto your knicks would you!" Ron scoffed.

Ginny eyed Hermione who motioned with her head and rolled her eyes while Ron continued on. "So Harry did you see Katie up there? How I blocked that one. That was amazing. Ginny did you see that?"

"We all saw it Ron." Ginny said impatiently as she crossed her arms over her chest, "And then you missed three from me, six from Harry and four from Katie. Shall I go on or have you had enough?"

"Shut it, Ginny." Ron said darkly.

"Ronald, lets go!" Hermione pulled again.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming. See you later, mate." Ron shared a painful look with Harry and made a nasty gesture behind Hermione's back.

Ginny shared a quick glance with Harry who shrugged and shook his head. She sniggered a bit and soon, they were both laughing, watching Ron and Hermione walk away. Stifling giggles, she tucked her longest layer of fringe behind her ear.

"Those two are a riot. Barmy."

"Yeah, they're a bit annoying actually. I wish they'd…." He stifled a grin.

"Just say it Harry, we've gone over this before." She kicked him playfully in the leg. "You wish they'd just snog and get it over with."

"Still hungry after an image of that in your mind?" He teased.

"Starving." She clutched her stomach.

We're still eating together, Ginny told herself. Yet, her stupid garden gnome of a brother had ruined the moment where he was going to speak. That strange calm feeling that was in the air moments ago had vanished.

They began to walk towards the castle again and made light conversation about her herbology projects until they had made it to Madame Hooch's office to secure the balls. Halfway up the grand staircase, he switched the subject curiously.

"So…how are things going with you, since you ah…broke it off with Dean…" He mumbled as he stuffed his hands deep in his pockets.

"What? Oh that…that’s in the past already."

"I just…" He said quickly. "Er…I hope you're not broken up about it or anything."

"And even if I was why would I pour my heart out to one of my brothers friends?"

"I don't know.." He muttered. "Sorry I asked."

"No, its sweet. Truthfully, I'm fine with it. He was getting on my nerves something positively awful."

"You're telling me," Harry remarked, "I have to live with him."

Ginny giggled at that and suddenly Harry looked so…adorable. Not that he wasn't adorable anyhow, and a million other endearing adjectives, but now, his whole face seemed to dance with pride. Was…was it because he had made her laugh?

Nervous, smiling, fumbling for words. Did Harry really fancy her?

Or once again, was she making all of this up in her twisted, hopeful head.

Ginny's heart dropped at the thought that she was making it up and she glanced at him nervously and managed a small grin.

She didn't want to be making it up.

She wanted it to be real, she wanted him to like her best out of every girl at Hogwarts, out of every girl in the entire world for that matter. But she was being stupid, wasn't she. Of course she was making it up, she had to be. And was that sweat beading at his forehead? And how would she make it through dinner without dropping or spilling…

Just then, a small Hufflepuff girl popped up out of nowhere and handed Harry a bit of parchment. Before he could open it Ginny realized what it was. She had held something similar before.

She wanted to hit someone.

He looked up crestfallen. "Ginny, I’m sorry, I can't have dinner with you now, I have to go…to a meeting." He stuffed the parchment in his pocket.

"Oh," Ginny was trying her best to hide her disappointment, "That’s alright. I'll…I'll see you around then."

"Well..," He turned and stood facing her, "Next week... the team's counting on you., I...I hope….Er…I mean, I know I'll see you before then though."

"Well it's not like you don't know where I live."

He smiled. "See you later, Ginny."

"Yeah, see you later."

Ginny turned away, her cheeks flushed pink and her hands seemed to have a mind of their own, twisting and squeezing and tucking her hair behind her ears.

She was still trying to piece together all she had observed of him in the past few weeks, and all she could remember from the past few months. Was it possible that what she was imagining was real? After all this time?

She tried to dissect his behavior. He had been nervous and adorable, not quite sure what to say, fumbling over his words, asking her about Dean.

No, Ginny Stop being foolish. He was just being polite, he was just being Harry.
Reviews 34
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear