Search:

SIYE Time:22:25 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150294; Chapter Total: 4404





Author's Notes:
This is pretty good. On fanfiction.net I'm up to fifty-three chapters, but here it's only forty.
Anyway, sorry this is so short. I feel like a short chapter after last time's monstrosity.
Review! It makes me happy.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry let Leila slip back onto the snow, and bent over, trying to fight the pain in his scar, trying to fight Voldemort out of his head, but he didn’t know how…he had never learned Occlumency…

Around him, the scene was surreal; the snow drifted silently to the ground, lit up by Lupin’s and Snape’s wands. His own wand had fallen, forgotten, to the ground. He could think of nothing else but the searing, burning, slicing pain that was rolling over him in waves… His vision was fading in and out, and he fought to keep his last meal in his stomach.

But suddenly Snape was there, gripping his shoulders, shouting in his ear. “Concentrate, Potter, concentrate! Build a wall in your mind!”

Harry tried to concentrate, tried to listen, but now the insane laughter was starting up in his head again–Voldemort was happy, deliriously happy. Harry felt himself growing horrifyingly exulted, as the feelings of intense delight washed over him.

“Dammit, Potter, listen to me!” Snape shouted. “Block him out! Push him out of your mind! Idiot boy, do as I say!”

But Harry couldn’t. He could do nothing against the horrible pain, against the presence of the man he hated most in his mind. He felt the blackness closing in as he slumped over in pain.

There was a sharp pain as a hand came crashing down on his face. For a moment, Harry was jerked back by the stinging slap. It was enough.

Snape grabbed his head and forced him to look into his eyes. Instantly, Harry could feel another presence in his mind. Then the pain began again, as the two presences collided. A battle was being fought in his mind. Voldemort was struggling, maintaining his own, but Severus Snape was there too, fighting the Dark Lord out. The two forces struggled, pushing back and forth, each gaining a little ground, then loosing a little.

Harry was in agony. It felt as if his head was splitting open. He’d take the Cruciatus any day over this… Would it never end?

Then, with a mighty push, Snape expelled Voldemort from Harry’s mind.

The Potions Master staggered back, panting. Harry’s knees buckled, and he fell to the ground, shaking. But the pain was gone. His scar still burned a little, but it was nothing compared to when Voldemort was in his head.

“Severus…Severus! Are you alright?”

Lupin was leaning toward Snape, his wand lighting up his worried face. “Severus?”

“I’m fine,” Snape growled, pushing Lupin away, and the werewolf turned to Harry.

“Harry?”

“I’m good,” Harry was able to say. “I…I couldn’t…Voldemort…”

“If you’d been listening in Occlumency lessons,” Snape began, but Harry slowly pushed himself to his feet and held out a hand.

“I know. I should have listened.” It hurt to admit it, but it was the truth; although Snape hadn’t been the ideal teacher, Harry should have tried harder to learn. He should have practiced clearing his mind, at least, but he hadn’t. And now, when he needed Occlumency more than ever before…

Harry shivered. “Do you want a warming charm…?” Lupin began, but at that moment, Snape hissed in pain and clutched his left forearm.

Harry’s scar burned, and he got a glimpse of Voldemort summoning his followers. “They’re all coming,” he grated out. “They’re all looking for us now. For me, anyway.”

“We need to get to shelter,” Lupin rasped. “Now.” He took a few steps, then staggered.

“Can you apparate?” Snape asked through gritted teeth. “Of course you can’t apparate,” he muttered. “Not in the condition you’re in. You either, Potter?”

Harry shook his head. He was too dizzy… He’d end up splinching himself, for sure.

“The Aurors will be looking for us too,” Snape muttered, more to himself than the rest of the group. “The best bet we have is to make it to that town,” he said, a little louder this time. “From there, we can find shelter, at least, and then decide who to contact.”

“Severus, you need to go,” Lupin said, and Harry stared at him.

“Why?”

“If Severus makes it back to Voldemort and can convince him that he’s still loyal, he can help us,” Lupin explained patiently. “Have you thought about how you’re to destroy Nagini without inside help, Harry?”

Harry shook his head. He had had the feeling that Snape would have to return to Death Eater ranks, but he hadn’t given it much thought at Beauxbatons.

“Stupid Gryffindors,” Snape hissed. “You never plan ahead…you just charge foolishly into battle without thinking about the future.”

“Go now,” Lupin said. “The sooner the better.”

“No.”

Lupin looked incredulous. “No?”

“No. I’m not leaving you here alone with an unconscious trans-reality girl and the Boy-Who-Lived who’s right now the Boy-Who-Can-Hardly-Stand.”

Harry managed a half grin.

“If you stay here, you’ll either freeze or the Death Eaters or Aurors will find you. You’ve got to get to safety.”

Fortunately, Lupin was level-headed enough not to argue. Warming charms were performed all around, and the odd group set off across the field. Harry draped the now-light Leila over his back, and Snape supported Lupin’s elbow, although the werewolf swore up and down he could make it without assistance.

The going was slow. Leila may not have weighed anything at all, but Harry was still having a hard time walking. The battle in his mind had drained him of any energy he’d had left over after the Aperio reversal. Lupin wasn’t doing any better; he kept stumbling, and he was leaning more and more on Snape now as the lights slowly got brighter in the distance.

The snow was a foot deep, which made the going even harder. Harry was breathing hard, but every breath felt as if knives were piercing his chest. Even with the warming charms, the icy wind still bit into his face and hands, which were becoming numb.

Finally they were nearing the outskirts of the little village. “Stop,” Snape suddenly said in a low voice. “Look.”

Two men in black robes were standing in an alleyway, lit by one lone streetlight. “Aurors,” Lupin breathed.

“Or Death Eaters in disguise,” Snape muttered. “I can’t recognize them from here, but it’s safe to say that we can’t go thorough that town.”

“Where are we, anyway?” Harry asked, not really expecting an answer. The village seemed familiar to him, somehow. Like he’d been there before.

Then it struck him.

“I know where we are!” Harry whispered excitedly. “This village is Ottery St. Catchpole.”

Lupin’s eyes widened. “The Weasleys. That’s where we can go. Harry, do you know which way their house is? I usually floo in or apparate right outside their wards.”

Harry studied the town. He’d been there a couple times before, mostly in the summer before his sixth year. “North,” he finally said. “That way.”

The bedraggled group slowly inched their way north. “Too bad you don’t have any of your marvelous Strengthening Solutions, Severus,” Lupin rasped, breathing heavily.

Snape didn’t answer. Neither did Harry–he was too busy concentrating on the task at hand–but he completely agreed. Strengthening Solutions had saved his life once, and Snape’s were sure to be the best around.

They found the road leading out the north side of Ottery St. Catchpole and followed it, but only after making sure that no one was in site, and the Aurors weren’t patrolling the roads.

“I can’t…go on…” Harry gasped, stopping, and gently lowering his sister to the ground before collapsing next to her.

Lupin instantly sat too.

“Fine,” Snape grudgingly conceded. “But only for a minute. We don’t have the time.”

“Can you conjure up some cups of warm water?” Lupin asked wearily.

Silently, Snape waved his wand and three cups appeared. “Thermoaguamenti.”

Gratefully, Harry sipped the cup of hot water. He closed his eyes and tried to let himself recharge, but it seemed as if all his energy was gone.

“Up, up, let’s get moving,” Snape barked, and Harry groaned. His muscles protested as he pulled himself off the ground, but once he’d picked up his sister and began walking again, it was a little easier.

They walked for another fifteen minutes. Harry’s warming charm was beginning to run out, but he didn’t know the spell himself, and hadn’t the energy to call Lupin. It couldn’t be too much further to the Burrow, could it? His lighted wand was flickering, but Harry knew it was his eyesight, not the spell itself.

They reached the turnoff, but Harry hardly noticed that they’d changed directions. In fact, when he saw the lights of the Burrow appear over the top of a small hill, it hardly registered in his mind. Not until Snape suddenly let go of Lupin’s arm and doubled over as if socked in the stomach.

“Professor Snape?”

Snape backed up a few feet. Harry stared at him. “What’s wrong?”

“The wards,” Snape said, scowling in the faint light. “I can’t get through.” He waved his wand and muttered something under his breath, then tried to walk closer to Harry and Lupin, but once again he was stopped by an invisible force. An invisible barrier.

“We can send a Patronus,” Lupin said faintly. “We can call Arthur or Molly…”

“No,” Snape said sharply. His voice rang out over the silent woods. “No,” he said again, more quietly this time. “This is where I’ll leave.”

“Severus…”

“Lupin, listen to me. They won’t understand. They think…in their eyes I’m still the traitor. Can you imagine their reactions if the three of us show up…together? And with an unconscious girl they don’t know? Consider that.”

Lupin was silent for a moment. Then he sighed. “You’re right, Severus. You should go.”

Harry swallowed hard. “Professor Snape…”

The Potions Master turned towards him. “Just stay out of trouble, Potter. I will certainly not be rescuing your pathetic Gryffindor neck another time.”

“But…”

“I can take care of myself. Remember that. Even among the Death Eaters.”

“Thank you, sir. For everything.”

Something glittered in Snape’s eyes, but he simply nodded, turned, and strode away into the night, leaving Harry, Lupin, and the unconscious Leila alone. A moment later, a sharp crack reached Harry’s ears, and he knew that Snape was gone.

“Let’s go, Harry,” Lupin said quietly, his face pale and drawn. “Quickly.”

Slowly, painfully, they continued towards the house. Surprisingly enough, the wards didn’t seem to have a problem letting Leila through, though Harry didn’t time to wonder why. All he cared about was reaching the house.

They dragged themselves up the last small hill, Harry stumbling as he balanced Leila’s weight and his own. The Feather-Light Charm was wearing off as well. Lupin was coughing now, and seemed to be just barely holding himself up. The house was close. Through the window, Harry could see the lights of the living room, and the shapes and figures of people gathered around a Christmas tree. His exhausted mind couldn’t even comprehend the fact that it was very likely that Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were in that room…

Finally, the front door. Lupin knocked, and Harry slipped Leila off his back and draped one of her arms around his shoulder, keeping her erect. Her head lolled on her chest, and her skin was cold. Harry hoped she was OK. She was still breathing, but since his own warming charm was completely gone by now, it was almost certain that hers was too. Let her be alright.

Lupin knocked again. No one was answering; maybe it was because of the noise inside. Lupin leaned against the side of the house, looking exhausted. “The door’s locked from the inside,” he said.

“One more time,” Harry said, hoping, praying, that this time someone would hear.

With seemingly the last of his energy, Remus Lupin raised his hand and knocked on the door.

Three knocks, hard.

Then his hand fell to his side again, and he slumped against the wall.

Harry waited. And waited. And then, oh thank Merlin, he heard footsteps, coming closer, and closer…

The door was thrown open, and the light from inside illuminated the steps and the snow covered front yard.

“Good god in heaven,” said Molly Weasley.


Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear