Search:

SIYE Time:20:49 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150259; Chapter Total: 4221





Author's Notes:
And here it is... I was up till two thirty last night writing this, so enjoy, and review!
And if you haven't yet, PLEASE vote for this story in the DSTA polls right now!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Five minutes later, everyone was assembled in Madame Maxime’s office. Each individual had reacted differently to the news of Death Eaters in France. Hermione was biting her nails nervously as she and a very calm Flamel poured over parchments of runes and incantations. Lupin was pacing nervously back and forth, and Leila was sitting very still in her chair, her eyes wide with fear. Snape and the Headmistress were arguing.

“You said we’d be safe here!” the former Potions master accused.

“I didn’t think they’d guess where you were,” she cried, wringing her hands. “Someone on your end must ‘ave informed ze Death Eaters where you were, because I certainly did not!”

“The only person who knew on our end was Minerva McGonagall, and I would trust her with my life,” Snape growled.

“Zat was obviously an unwise decision on your part,” Madame Maxime snapped. “I have granted hospitality to you at the risk of my students’ lives, and this is ‘ow you repay me? By accusing me of not doing everything in my power to ‘elp and protect you?”

“You told us that Beauxbatons was the safest place in Europe!”

“If you don’t feel safe ‘ere, zen you can just leave!”

“And go where?” Snape scoffed. “The anti-portkey and anti-apparation wards are already in place. The Floo network has been cut off. We are trapped, and it’s your fault…”

“The wards are as strong as I can make them without help,” Madame Maxime said angrily, glancing over at Flamel.

Lupin stopped his pacing and threw up his hands. “Please! Maxime, Severus, we are adults! No matter how much you two fight it still doesn’t change the fact that the Death Eaters are here, and unless the wards are strengthened, we’re going to be fighting for our lives against unbeatable odds in a few hours. And we still don’t know how the Death Eaters found us…”

“It’s evident, isn’t it?” Madame Maxime huffed.

“Yes, it’s evident that you were the leak!” Snape spat.

Suddenly Harry was struck with an idea. “There’s only one way to find out for sure,” he interjected quickly. Both Snape and Madame Maxime turned to look at him.

“Hermione,” Harry called, and she looked up with from the intricate plans she and Flamel were engrossed in. “How did the Death Eaters find out where we were?”

Confusion fleeted across her face. “It’s obvious, isn’t it?” Hermione said, brushing a stray piece of hair away from her face. “They must have suspected that you’d try to leave the country. They must have been watching all the outgoing international Portkeys through the Ministry of Magic.”

There was a moment of shocked silence. Then Lupin sank into the nearest chair. “The girl’s right. Dear god, what have we done? Maxime, we’ve practically put the death sentence on you and your students!” Lupin buried his face in his hands.

Madame Maxime’s demeanor instantly softened. “Oh, Remus, do not blame yourself! ‘Ow could you ‘ave known?”

“But we’ve doomed you all.”

The Headmistress placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Not necessarily. We’ll get through zis somehow, don’t you worry. Zere are only about twenty students remaining ‘ere over Christmas holidays, and we ‘ave safe rooms under the castle zat ze students can stay in. Ze Détenteurs–zey are the French Aurors–will help defend ze school, but ze Death Eaters outnumber them and us. Of course, it’d be easier if…” She trailed off and glanced over at Flamel, and Harry followed her gaze, curious. Flamel and Hermione were back at work, arguing over a certain incantation. Maxime lowered her voice. “It’d be easier if Nicholas would help, but ‘e insists on remaining completely neutral. Claims it isn’t fair for ‘im to take sides, especially when he ‘as six hundred years more experience than them.”

“What?” Harry exclaimed. Lupin’s mouth was moving angrily, but no words were coming out.

Madame Maxime looked surprised. “You didn’t know? I thought everyone knew.”

“You’ll have to forgive us, but in our world Flamel wasn’t even alive,” Lupin said tightly. “Now what is this about him not taking sides?”

The Headmistress glanced once more in Flamel’s direction. “Nicholas is a wonderful old man, but ‘e refuses to take sides–ever. ‘E is a marvelous dueller and has a much more powerful magical core than anyone else alive today. He is more powerful than Dumbledore ever was, and more powerful than Voldemort will ever become. ‘E has spent his whole life gaining more knowledge; hence, ‘e knows about every spell ever invented and also ‘as an endless supply of spells ‘e created himself. Because of zis, ‘e feels that it is wrong for him to pick a side when wars like the current one come up. He will train anyone who comes to him for knowledge, ‘e will support the light wizards and witches in their fight, but ‘e will not join in active combat or defense.”

Lupin was sputtering angrily. Harry looked over at Leila, but she didn’t look surprised. “You knew?”

She shrugged. “Everyone knows, Harry. It’s common knowledge back at home.”

Harry turned back to the Headmistress. “So he will sit here and reverse our Aperio, but won’t even help you defend the castle from the Death Eaters outside.”

Madame Maxime’s shoulders slumped. “Actually, I still don’t know why ‘e agreed to ‘elp you reverse your Aperio. Maybe ‘e felt that ‘e was paying his final respects to Dumbledore by ‘elping you. Maybe he feels guilty that Dumbledore died confronting the man he would not face himself. I do not know. What I do know is zat if ‘e wanted, ‘e could keep my school safe, but ‘e will not.”

Lupin rose from his chair, his face a mask of fury. “Flamel!”

The white-bearded man looked up from his parchments. “Yes?”

“I must speak with you now, sir. It is urgent.”

A knowing expression spread across the older man’s face, but he dipped his head in compliance and followed Lupin out the door into the corridor.

Madame Maxime sank wearily into the chair and rubbed her temples. “It will do no good,” she sighed.

Snape looked at her sharply. “What makes you say that?”

The large woman signed despairingly. “Do you think zat in six hundred years people ‘ave not tried? I ‘ave begged Nicholas to see reason, but ‘e is set in his ways. He would not even help Dumbledore defeat Grindewald.”

“Your Mr. Flamel hasn’t yet encountered Remus Lupin,” Snape muttered.

Harry silently agreed. Remus Lupin could be very convincing–especially the Lupin from the other world.

Suddenly Maxime burst into tears. “It is no use! It will take ze Death Eaters no more than four hours to enter ze school, and there is nothing more I can do!”

“Where are your students now?” Snape inquired.

“My staff have taken them to the safe rooms under the school,” Maxime said, “but if the school falls, it will only be a matter of time before the safe rooms are taken as well.”

She would have continued, but Snape cut in. “What kind of wards do you have around the school?”

The Headmistress told him, using a lot of terms Harry had never heard before. “But even those wards are no good,” Maxime finished, tears welling up in her eyes again. “’Ogwarts’s wards were better than Beauxbatons’s, and ze Death Eaters broke through those easily!”

Snape was scowling at the ground, but by now Harry knew that this meant the Potions Master was simply thinking. “Have you thought of using Inhibitory Blockade Spells?” Snape asked.

Madame Maxime shook her head. “What is zat?”

“I may be able to help you with the wards,” Snape said. “In the other reality, I helped Dumbledore with the wards at Hogwarts, and we might have used spells that the Death Eaters don’t know about in this world.”

The Headmistress’s face brightened. “Really? Do you think zat would work?”

“Right now, you don’t have any other choice, do you?” Snape said sarcastically.

She frowned. “I suppose you’re right. It’s worth a try, anyway! Come, I’ll take you to ze central ward core.”

Snape wordlessly followed her out the door, but he wore a slightly smug look. As the door swung open, Harry caught a strain of Lupin’s raised voice. “…a coward, Nicholas! That’s all you are…” Then the door slammed, and there was silence in the room.

Harry looked over at Leila. She was twisting her hair anxiously and biting her lip. “Are you alright?” he said in a low voice.

She nodded, not meeting his eyes.

Hermione suddenly laid down her quill and began blowing on a piece of parchment. “I think I’ve got the spell,” she announced, then glanced up and seemed to realize that the room was mostly empty. “Where’d they all go?” Hermione asked, looking confused.

“Lupin is trying to convince Flamel that he should join in the fight, and Snape is helping the Headmistress strengthen the wards.”

“Oh,” Hermione said, looking a little put out. “Well, I’ll have to have Professor Flamel look over my work when he returns, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got the right incantations and rituals.”

“How long will it take?”

She thought for a moment. “I’m not sure. It could be a half an hour, it could be two days. We’ve got quite a few spells to do.”

“So,” Leila said, sitting up. “So they could be gone…forever…in less than an hour.”

Hermione nodded sympathetically. “Yes, they could.”

Leila swallowed hard. “Then I’d better say my goodbyes, huh?”

The older girl nodded once again, then went back to the desk and thoughtfully buried her face a large dusty book.

Leila turned to Harry. He watched her carefully, afraid that if he let it sink in that he would never see her again, he might loose control. Merlin, that girl means a lot to me.

“Harry,” Leila said softly, her voice only quivering slightly. “I…I really don’t know what to say. I just…Oh gosh, this really sucks.”

“I know,” Harry muttered, and a moment later, his sister had thrown her arms around him.

Harry hugged her back, closing his eyes and willing the tears to remain unshed. “Leila, I’m sorry for being such a prat…you know, about Theodore.”

She pulled away and looked up at him. “You don’t have to apologize.”

“But I do,” Harry said, pressing on. “I was a right git. And…and I’m sorry about Mum and Dad. If I hadn’t…”

“No!” Leila cried. “No, I will not allow you to blame yourself about them!”

“But it’s my fault! If I hadn’t told the Order about the Horcruxes…”

“Harry, it is not your fault!” Leila said fiercely. “If you blame yourself one more time, I swear on Merlin’s grave I’ll hex you.”

Harry managed a half grin. “Playing dirty, huh?”

She leaned back in her chair, a small smile tugging at the corners of her face. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too.”

“Most girls would pay half the galleons in Grinotts to be rid of their older brothers.”

“Most girls aren’t lucky like you,” Harry said, keeping a straight face.

She gave him a stern glance. “A year ago, I might have considered the offer. You know, paying the galleons to be rid of you.”

“Was I that bad?” Harry asked, alarmed.

Leila giggled. “Gottcha.”

Harry swatted at her, but she slid away. “Now, now. Is that the last impression you want me to have of you? Beating on me like any normal brother?”

Harry looked down. “Maybe if I hadn’t been so nice, you wouldn’t miss me so much when I leave.”

“No, Harry.” Leila reached over and turned his face towards her. “I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Harry met her eyes. “Thanks,” he whispered.

The door opened, and Harry and Leila both turned to see who had entered. It was Madame Maxime and Snape. Harry could still hear Lupin’s voice filtering in from the hallway. “….Dumbledore…do you really think…”

The door shut, and Madame Maxime plopped down in a chair. “Lupin will never convince him.”

Snape said nothing.

Hermione cleared her throat nervously. “Um, I think I’ve created the right incantation.”

Both instantly stiffened. “You ‘ave?” Madame Maxime said skeptically. “Are you sure…”

“I’m sure,” Hermione said firmly, her jaw set.

The Headmistress opened her mouth, probably to protest, but Harry jumped in first. “So, how are the wards, Madame Maxime?”

Hermione shot him a grateful glance. “Oh, ze wards are very strong now. Severus ‘ere is simply marvelous with ze wand!” Maxime gushed.

Snape scowled even harder at the praise. “I told you, Maxime, the spells were ones Dumbledore taught me!”

“But you remembered them,” Maxime said happily, as if that made all the difference.

“How long will the wards last now against the Death Eaters?” Leila inquired.

Maxime and Snape exchanged glances. “I’m guessing about forty-eight hours,” she said. “Long enough for us to reverse ze Aperio, anyway. Of course, it will take less time if you really do have the right spell,” she finished skeptically.

Hermione flushed red. “I assure you, Madame Maxime, that my spell is…”

The doors opened, and Hermione stopped mid-sentence. Lupin strode in, a satisfied expression on his face; Flamel followed, looking subdued.

No one spoke for the longest time. Harry was dying to know whether Lupin had made any headway with the stubborn old man, but didn’t dare to ask the question that everyone was thinking.

“Professor?” Hermione said timidly, finally breaking the silence. “Professor, would you come and look at this? I think I’ve completed the incantation.”

Flamel seemed to wake from a trance. “Certainly, my dear,” he said, and quickly joined Hermione at the desk.

Lupin sank into the chair next to Harry. Madame Maxime was staring open-mouthed at the werewolf. Lupin met her gaze, then gave a pronounced nod. Across the room, Snape was smirking.

“What did you say to him?” Harry hissed, unable to suppress his curiosity any longer.

“What we discussed is confidential,” Lupin said quietly. “But I do not doubt that now he will have no qualms in joining our side.”

Harry exchanged incredulous glances with Leila, who let out a sigh of relief. “Maybe we’ll have a chance at winning the war now,” she said.

Madame Maxime’s mouth was still open. She shook her head angrily. “Nicholas! Does this mean you will help me keep ze students safe now? You will fight against ze Death Eaters?”

Flamel turned slowly from the desk to meet her gaze. There was a long moment of uncomfortable silence. Then he nodded. “Yes, I will help.”

If possible, the Headmistress’s mouth opened even wider. Then she sank into a chair as tears filled her eyes. “Good lord,” she whispered, and then began to murmur things in French, all the while dabbing at the tears with an enormous handkerchief. Harry caught a few words–he had picked up a little French while at Beaubaxtons, after all. The Headmistress was saying, “Mes étudiants… mes étudiants seront sûrs…” My students, my students will be safe.

Flamel turned back to the desk, but a moment later he was facing the little group. “The spell is completed,” he said. “But as I am not sure exactly how long it will take to complete the different components, we should start immediately. Right now.”

Snape, Harry, and Lupin all looked at each other. “Tell us what to do,” Lupin said quietly.


Author's Note: This is kind of a two part chapter, so hang on for the next installment within a couple of days. Be prepared for the unexpected!
Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear