Search:

SIYE Time:4:42 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150300; Chapter Total: 4349





Author's Notes:
OK guys, if you haven't yet, go vote for WAWKI in Dumbledore's Silver Trinket Poll. We're neck and neck with another story in the Action/Adventure category...
Go to the home page and scroll down until you see the little link that says "Vote Here."
Thanks, and enjoy the new chapter! The next chapter..... (drum roll please,) "The Aperio Reversed!" so hang on for the ride.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


It took quite a bit of convincing before Hermione agreed to help them. She finally grudgingly said yes, though Harry had the feeling they’d just convinced her into doing something she’d wanted to do in the first place. Girls.

It took even more convincing before Lupin, Snape, Flamel, and Madame Maxime allowed it.

“Zis is an outrage!” Madame Maxime cried, her face red. “You ‘ave gone completely against my orders! I told you not to tell any of my students, and what do you do?”

“I didn’t tell her!” Harry argued. “I’m telling you, she’s the brightest witch of her age, and she figured it out herself.”

“Eempossible,” the Headmistress huffed, but Flamel looked thoughtful.

“You put the pieces together and came to the conclusion that these three were involved in an Aperio?” he asked Hermione gently, and she nodded, keeping her head high.

“How do you know this Hermione is the same as the other Hermione knowledge-wise?” Lupin said skeptically. “Harry, that was a very irrational thing to do.”

“Typical, if you ask me,” Snape muttered, glaring at Harry.

Harry sent him a dirty look back. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. Do you know what she’s done? In our first year, it was Hermione who finally put the pieces together about the Philosopher’s Stone. She rescued Ron and me from the Devil’s Snare because she’d read ahead in our Herbology book. Then she figured out Snape’s logic puzzle involving the Potions on her own.”

Lupin still looked skeptical, but Snape’s eyebrows had shot up. Harry wondered if Dumbledore had ever told Snape how a first year Muggleborn had bested his obstacle in a matter of minutes.

“Second year. It was Hermione who solved the puzzle of the Basilisk. She put the clues together when no other teacher could figure out where the entrance to the chamber was or how the Basilisk was getting around the school. And she made Polyjuice Potion for me and Ron so we could sneak into the Slytherin Common Room and question Draco Malfoy.”

Snape looked incredulous. Harry knew that the Potions Master was calculating how many students in his N.E.W.T. classes back at Hogwarts could successfully brew Polyjuice Potion.

“Third year. She was the only person in the school to figure out that Lupin was a werewolf. The only one! And then she covered for him the rest of the year.”

This reality’s Hermione had gasped and stepped back, but Flamel and Maxime didn’t look surprised. Madame Maxime said something sharp to Hermione in French, and the girl timidly nodded and moved closer again.

“She also used a Time-Turner all year long to go to twice as many classes as Ron and I were attending, all because she wanted to learn as much as possible.”

Lupin was nodding now. Flamel’s eyes were twinkling as he looked from Hermione to Harry, and Snape had crossed his arms, but Harry knew that he was thinking.

“In my fourth year, she solved the mystery of Rita Skeeter.” Both Snape and Lupin looked surprised. “Hermione wanted to know why Rita knew everything, even information from private conversations. She did some researching and found out that Rita was an illegal Animagus. She made Rita swear not to write for a year, and then bribed her into writing my story for the Quibbler.”

Lupin and Snape looked amazed. Madame Maxime was still scowling, but Harry knew he was making progress.

“Want to know where I learned all the defense spells I know? Hermione. She looked them up and made me practice them for the Triwizard tournament. In my fifth year, she was the one who came up with the idea for Dumbledore’s Army and she helped me teach it. In my sixth year, she figured out that Snape was the Half-Blood Prince, and she was always the first to learn the new spells and master new skills. I’m telling you, she can do it. Hermione figured out the Aperio probably in less time than Lupin here, and definitely quicker than Snape and me. This only proves that she’s just as smart as the other Hermione. If you give her a chance, you won’t regret it.”

Hermione shot Harry a grateful smile. “Thanks,” she mouthed.

Lupin was scratching his chin thoughtfully, Flamel was still “twinkling” in a very Dumbledorish way, and Snape was scowling at the ground with his arms crossed. Madame Maxime was scowling too, but Harry knew that Snape’s scowl simply meant he was thinking; the Headmistress was genuinely irate.

“Now see here,” she began angrily. “She ees my student, and I will not have you endangering her like zis… She ‘as three more years of school left, and…”

“I am of age!” Hermione cried furiously. “And if I were at Hogwarts, I’d only have a half year of school left.”

“Impudent girl,” the Headmistress hissed. “You do not know what you are saying! You are young and untrustworthy…”

Hermione’s face was beet red. She began to talk very fast in French, and Harry suspected she’d changed languages so they couldn’t understand the rude insults Madame Maxime was throwing out. He looked around the room. Lupin was looking helplessly at the pair, but surprisingly enough, Snape was listening, his head tilted in their direction.

“Does Snape know French?” Harry asked Leila.

She nodded. “I overheard him telling Regulus he knew the language at Castaway Cabin.”

“Did he know that you would end up at Beauxbatons?”

“I’m not sure. But it’s possible that he had a pretty good idea. We had to leave the country, America’s too far away, Durmstrang’s the Death Eater training school… That left Beauxbatons.”

The argument between Maxime and Hermione was winding down. It looked as if Hermione had won. Finally the girl turned to Nicholas Flamel. “I will help you if you will allow it,” she said, inclining her head politely.

“Certainly, my dear girl,” Flamel said cheerfully. “We’d best get started, then. Maxime?”

Muttering under her breath, the Headmistress turned on her heels and left without a backwards glance.




Watching Hermione and Flamel interact was truly amazing. Flamel certainly had more knowledge, but Hermione was marvelous at coming up with new ideas and angles that Flamel hadn’t explored yet. Half the time, though, Harry had no idea what they were talking about.

For the next three days, Harry and Leila only saw Hermione at the morning meetings. Finally they cornered her in the library one afternoon.

“OK, enough!” Leila said, gently pulling the book away from Hermione.

“No, wait… I have to write something down,” she protested.

“Later. When’s the last time you had a good meal?” Harry asked sternly.

Hermione hung her head. “Um…”

“Just as I thought,” Leila said, clicking her tongue. “Well, we’re about to fix that. Come.”

“Now?” Hermione squeaked. “I can’t! I’m on the verge of a breakthrough! If I leave now, my train of thought will be disrupted and who knows what that could do to my research.”

“Yeah, and if you have a mental breakdown in a week from over-studying and malnutrition, Harry will never get home,” Leila said sarcastically, taking one of Hermione’s arms. Harry grasped the other one and they gently pulled her away from her stacks of books.

Hermione protested all the way to the dining hall, but by the time Harry and Leila had seated her at the table, she’d fallen into a sort of silent pout. It wasn’t long, though, before Leila started asking questions about Beauxbatons. Hermione answered grudgingly at first, but once she realized that Leila’s interest was genuine, her answers and explanations became more detailed and interesting.

“So it the program here really ten years long?” Leila asked, taking a sip of pumpkin juice and wiping her mouth.

Hermione laughed. “No. You’d think so, huh? Actually, it’s nine years. Students here start at age twelve and end when they’re twenty or twenty-one. It’s because the academic program for first years is harder than that of first years at Hogwarts, and the school administrators feel that children who are older will have higher maturity levels and be better able to handle the stress.”

“Oh, I get it,” Leila muttered. “We just weren’t mature when we went to Hogwarts.”

“How does the program differ here academically?” Harry asked quickly. “Compared to Hogwarts and Durmstrang, I mean.”

Hermione took a dainty bite of custard. “Not that much. We take all the same classes as you except for Divination, and we add an etiquette class. We don’t include the Offensive Dueling class that Durmstrang has in their curriculum, nor do we dabble into Dark Arts like they do in some of their other classes.”

“You don’t do Divination? Lucky,” Leila mumbled, and Harry had to agree.

“I know,” Hermione said, sweeping a strand of hair back. “Divination is a waste of time, if you ask me. Telling the future, palm readings, astrology… It’s all so fickle.”

“Not all,” Harry said quietly. “I’ve met a true Seer.”

Hermione opened her mouth to protest, then closed it again. “Oh. I guess you have,” she admitted, eying him. “The prophecy, right?”

Harry nodded, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. He didn’t much like talking about the prophecy, though he was much better with it than a year ago. He’d come to terms with the “neither can live while the other survives” part and mostly ignored it.

“So, how’s the Aperio work coming?”

Leila slapped his arm. “Harry! She’s supposed to be relaxing!”

“No, no, I’m relaxed now,” Hermione protested. “See?”

“I agree,” Harry said. He really wanted to hear about the progress from Hermione, who could most likely explain it in simple terms. Whenever Flamel talked about the work, Harry felt like he was lost in a sea of new words and concepts.

Leila didn’t look happy, but she grudgingly agreed to let Hermione talk about the Aperio. The other girl launched into a simplified version of Flamel’s explanation that same morning, but this time Harry could understand what she was talking about.

“So you’re saying that you’re missing one of the key runes in the equations?”

Hermione brushed a lock of hair out of her face. “Yes. Professor Flamel and I have been looking for it, but so far we’ve had no luck. Once we find the missing rune, we’ll have all the needed components to formulate a spell and ritual that will allow us to reverse the Aperio.”

Harry stirred his soup thoughtfully. “I’m curious,” he said, finally voicing a question that’d been on his mind for a while. “When the Aperio took place…what happened to this world’s Harry? When I go back will he suddenly appear here? Or is he gone forever?”

Hermione bit her lip. “From what I’ve read, the Aperio takes the soul of the person from the original world and the body of the person from the new world and combines them. That’s why you don’t have a scar, Harry. When the Aperio is reversed, you will be transported back into your old body. As to what will happen once you leave, Professor Flamel and I are not entirely sure, but we have a pretty good idea.”

“What?”

“The other you won’t return. It sounds awful, but the other you, Lupin, and Snape were only acting as placeholders in this world.”

Leila put her hand over her mouth. “So the Harry I knew wasn’t real,” she whispered. “That’s awful.”

Hermione sighed. “There can be only one real version, don’t you see? The Aperio happens so the original people can see what things would have been like if their wishes had come true.”

“I just can’t believe it,” Leila said, staring dazedly into her cup of tea. “I mean, not that I don’t like you, Harry, but it feels as if someone just died or something. The Harry I grew up with was just a bloody faker, and all this time I thought he was a real person…” She buried her face in her hands and Harry patted her arm helplessly.

Hermione squeezed Leila’s hand. “Don’t feel too bad, Leila. You got to know the real Harry. Isn’t he better than the old one?”

Leila smiled sadly. “He is, but it’s not the same. Especially since he’ll be…you know…gone in a few days.”

Harry glanced down at his soup. Hermione stared pointedly out the wide bay windows at the end of the hall, and Leila twisted a piece of her hair.

Desperate for another topic, Harry looked around the dining hall and suddenly realized that it was more empty than it had been at dinner the day before. “Where’d all the students go?” he asked, puzzled.

Hermione smiled. “Harry, do you know what’s happening in three days?”

Harry looked over at Leila. She shrugged. “Beats me. What?”

“Christmas!” Hermione said gleefully. “Didn’t you notice the decorations that have been going up?”

“Decorations?” Harry said incredulously. “What decorations?”

“The garlands on the banisters, the candles in the windowsills, the snowflakes floating above our heads…”

“Hermione, the garlands were purple!”

“They were garlands, nonetheless!”

Leila smacked her head. “It’s almost Christmas! How could I have forgotten? So all the students have gone home for break?”

Hermione nodded. “We have the Winter Ball and other celebrations after they get back. It’s colder in January, anyway. Feels more like Christmastime.”

Harry looked over at Leila. “I don’t have a gift for you.”

She shrugged. “Really, Harry, I don’t care. I know the Death Eaters didn’t exactly let you and Lupin out to do your holiday shopping. It’s enough for me just to have you alive.”




Christmas Eve dawned bright and clear. It had gotten a little colder in the past few days, but Harry wasn’t very optimistic about getting snow for Christmas. Nevertheless, he pulled his cloak and scarf out of his trunk, just in case.

He and Leila were in the library. She had insisted on looking for the missing rune in some of the oldest volumes. Harry humored her, although he thought it was a waste of time; what did either of them know of the Aperio, or Ancient Runes for that matter?

Leila had just buried her nose in book when the doors to the library burst open and Hermione ran in. She was waving a piece of paper and babbling incomprehensively.

“Hermione!” Harry exclaimed, alarmed. “Are you alright?”

Leila grabbed Hermione’s shoulder as the girl struggled to complete a sentence. “I…I found it,” she finally panted. “I found it!”

“Found what?” Leila asked, then her eyes widened. “Ooooohhhh! You found it!”

“The rune?” Harry said, though he already knew the answer.

Hermione nodded.

Harry sank back into the chair, dazed. Leila’s face had gone white, and Harry knew that the full magnitude of Hermione’s discovery was crashing down on his sister. Now they had the full equation. Now Flamel and Hermione could come up with a spell. Now they could go back.

And his sister would be left here, alone.

“Oh, Leila,” Harry muttered.

But Leila had squared her shoulders and set her jaw. “That’s wonderful, Hermione,” she said, and Harry could only make out the slightest quaver in her voice. “What was the missing rune?”

“It’s the triqueta,” Hermione said, bobbing up and down, her face flushed with excitement. “The symbol of unity; the symbol of three. It’s three triangles that are connected. Here, I’ll draw it for you.”

She spread the piece of paper on the table and quickly drew three lines. They connected in three center intersections and three outer points, forming a never-ending pathway. “Don’t you see?” she said excitedly. “It’s the symbol of three. It’s the symbol of you!”

“Bloody hell,” Harry said quietly, feeling that now was the fitting time to use Ron’s favorite phrase. “Hermione, this is incredible. Have you shown Flamel?”

She shook her head. “I came to show you first.”

“We’ve got to go tell him,” Leila said. “Now! We can’t wait; this is too important.”

The three dashed out of the library and up the flight of stairs that led to the second floor. It wasn’t long before they reached Flamel’s office, panting breathlessly. Harry knocked, and a second later someone called, “Come in!”

The three burst through the door. “Sir, Hermione’s found the missing rune,” Harry blurted out.

Flamel’s eyes widened and he quickly set down his tea. “She did? Marvelous, Miss Granger! Which rune was it?”

“Triqueta,” Hermione said, unfolding the paper. “See? The never-ending symbol of unity.”

Flamel pulled his spectacles down onto his nose and studied the crude picture. “Amazing,” he murmured. “Triqueta, a symbol commonly used in Christianity as well as Celtic folklore. The Christians used it to symbolize the trinity–the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit–and its unity and equality. If I remember correctly, the some Celtics used it to symbolize the Goddess, and others, the god Odin. Odin was the god of wisdom, war, battle, and death. Very fitting… Hmm….”

The three waited uneasily as Flamel leaned over the paper. Finally he looked up. “You’ve found it, Miss Granger. Excellent work.”

Hermione blushed and beamed.

“Now, if only we could summon the Headmistress and tell her the good news…”

At that moment, Madame Maxime burst through the door, wringing her hands.

“Marvelous!” Flamel cried happily, clapping his hands together. “Perfect timing!”

“No, no, you don’t understand,” the Headmistress cried. “The Death Eaters are surrounding Beauxbatons!”
Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear