Search:

SIYE Time:20:18 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150258; Chapter Total: 4342





Author's Notes:
Hang on, from here it's going to be a crazy ride!
Oh, and if you haven't already and feel magnanimous today, nominate me.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry’s entire body felt numb as he sat on his still-made bed later that night, listening to Neville’s sobs in the next bed. The absence of the usual snores from Ron’s bed told Harry that the he and Neville weren’t the only ones still awake. Harry hadn’t seen Leila since McGonagall had called them both out into the corridor to break the news. His sister had emitted one horrified gasp and had dashed away towards her dormitory.

McGonagall has sighed as she watched Leila’s retreating form. “Remus already told you, didn’t he?” she had asked softly.

Harry had nodded, impassively, not meeting her eyes.

“Listen, Harry, if there’s anything I can do…”

“Unless you can bring them back, there’s nothing,” Harry had said curtly before he too turned quickly and left.

Now he regretted being so rude. She had, after all, only been trying to help.

The emptiness inside of him threatened to consume him. He knew what the pain of loss felt like–he’d felt it for Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore–but this was worse. Much worse. This was his parents…

They’d been so alive when he’d seen them at the meeting the night before; James had slapped Harry’s back and wished him good luck on the Quidditch game the next day…Lily had kissed him goodbye…

Did I kiss her back?

Harry wasn’t sure. He wished he had a Time-Turner…he wanted to erase the entire day and start over again…maybe if he hadn’t been so caught up with Quidditch, he could have done something. Maybe he could have prevented their deaths somehow.

I should have tried harder to convince them to come to the match… Harry thought, the ache in his chest becoming even more painful. Maybe if I’d tried harder…

But James and Lily hadn’t been able to make it to the match, and maybe that made all the difference.

I wonder how they died?

Lupin hadn’t been able to give him details–only the information that as James left his Quidditch practice, he was ambushed by a dozen Death Eaters. The same had happened to Lily as she left the Institute that afternoon.

I hope it was quick. I hope they didn’t have to suffer.

For the first time, Harry felt himself longing for life before the Aperio. He had come to grips with his parents’ deaths years ago. Now fate had given them back, only to cruelly snatch them away again. What am I thinking? I don’t want to go back! he thought furiously. But now he wasn’t so sure anymore.

Harry sighed. This was getting nowhere. There was no use wishing for impossible things. It had been months, and still Lupin was no closer to locating the third member of the Aperio than he had been in July.

Neville was still sobbing into his pillow, and Harry found himself feeling even more sorry for the boy than he felt for himself. But when he felt he could listen no longer, he slipped off of his bed and quietly left the dormitory. When he reached the Common Room, it was blessedly empty–except for one lone figure curled up in the chair by the fire.

Leila looked up with dry eyes as Harry approached and collapsed onto the rug. “You couldn’t sleep either?” she asked softly.

Harry shook his head. “That, and Neville.”

“I forgot about Neville,” she gasped. “Poor Neville! I thought I had it bad. At least… At least I’ve still got you.”

Harry stared into the fireplace and watched the flames dancing in and out of the logs.

Leila let out a sob. “Oh, who am I kidding?” she choked. “I’m being a baby. Neville’s just lost his entire family–and I’m not counting that horrible grandmother of his. And you–you’ve lost Mum and Dad twice!”

His sister lapsed into silence. Then Harry heard movement behind him. A moment later she had lowered herself onto the rug next to him and buried her face on his shoulder.

At first, he awkwardly patted her back as she sobbed, but then he relaxed, rubbing her shoulders and stroking her hair. After a long cry, she sniffed and said, “Thanks.”

“Anytime,” Harry said honestly, and the ache in his chest eased a little.

She chuckled. “The old Harry wouldn’t have let me cry on his shoulder like that. I think I like the new Harry better.”

“You shouldn’t,” Harry said bitterly. “Because of me, Mum and Dad are dead.”

“Don’t say that,” Leila whispered. “It’s not true. You brought hope to the Order.”

“And that hope was just destroyed today. Voldemort knows about the destroyed Horcruxes, and he probably made a dozen new ones today.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“Yes, it IS!” Harry scooted away and glared at her. “If I hadn’t told Lupin about the Horcruxes, he wouldn’t have told the Order… Voldemort wouldn’t have ever found out… It’s MY fault!”

Leila’s eyes filled with tears again. “Stop, Harry. Don’t do this to yourself! It’s not your fault. You always take the blame for everything…you’ve got to grow up and realize that you didn’t single-handedly cause the deaths of dozens of people in both realities…”

“But…”

“No! Don’t blame yourself!” She slid closer to him and pillowed her face on his shoulder again.

“But Voldemort had never known about the Horcruxes, they’d still be alive.”

Apparently Leila didn’t have an answer for this. After a few minutes of silence, she spoke, her head still resting on his shoulder. “It’s silly of me to be thinking about this, but Harry, where will we live?”

Harry considered this. “I guess with Sirius. He’s my godfather, and probably yours too.” Suddenly he froze. Evidently Leila had just thought the same thing, because she sat up straight and looked at him with wide eyes.

“Sirius,” they breathed together.

“Holy mother of Merlin. I completely forgot about him!” Leila exclaimed. “Here I was, so wrapped up in my own grief…Harry, you have to find him.”

“I know… Wait, why?”

She gave him a look that reminded him of the looks Hermione usually reserved for very dim Slytherins. “He and Dad are…were…” she corrected herself, fighting back another sob, “best friends. To Sirius it’s the same as having a brother die. And he’s so unpredictable as is. You’re probably closest to him besides Dad, and maybe Regulus, but Regulus isn’t here, of course. Oh, what am I saying? Just find him, Harry!”

“Are you going to be OK?” Harry asked, looking worriedly at her.

“I’ll be fine,” she said, smiling bravely at him. “Just go!”

She followed him upstairs and watched as he lit his wand and pawed through the contents of his trunk. When he finally found the Marauders’ Map, he settled down on the bed and spread it out on his lap.

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Together they examined the map. “He’s not in the teacher’s quarters,” Harry said, frowning. “I don’t even see him in the castle.”

“There he is,” Leila whispered, pointing to the grounds. A black dot was moving fast along the lake. Harry jumped up and peered out the window. In the moonlight he could barely see a black speck racing across the grass.

“Right,” he said, returning to Leila.

“You can’t go now, though,” she said. “Look.”

Right outside the portrait hole, a small dot labeled “Filch” was pacing. “He’s probably hoping to catch couples on their way back to dorm after their own version of ‘victory celebration,’” she said, stifling a giggle that sounded more like a sob.

“Then I’ll have to use the other exit,” Harry said, moving towards the open double windows.

“Be careful,” she whispered tearfully.

A moment later he had transformed, and a flurry of wings, he had passed through the windows.




The night was cold, the moon, just a sliver hanging in the sky. The bitter winds carried Harry higher and higher as he banked and climbed, looking desperately for a large black dog. Harry soared towards the lake, and descended. Finally he spotted Padfoot.

Harry dove. A second later, he was flying just a few feet above the loping dog. He tried getting closer, but Padfoot snarled and snapped at him. Harry kept his distance, knowing that Sirius probably wasn’t thinking rationally right now.

Padfoot ran along the side of the lake for some time. Then he angled off towards the castle. Was Sirius going back? No, the black dog took another turn and dashed towards the gates. Harry followed.

Through the gates, across the bridge… Padfoot was headed along the road to Hogsmeade. Harry followed, wondering if his godfather was going to the Hog’s Head. But no, Padfoot raced through the town, and on the outskirts, he skidded into an alleyway.

Harry landed atop a signpost and watched his godfather whining and howling, expressing his grief as only a dog could. Finally the dog collapsed onto the ground, transforming into a disheveled Sirius.

Harry flew silently closer and landed a few yards away, transforming back. “Sirius?”

There was no reply.

“Sirius? Are you alright?”

Harry crept closer. Sirius’s body was shaking with silent sobs.

“It’s me…Harry…”

Finally his godfather looked up. Harry inwardly shuddered as he met Sirius’s eyes–it was almost as if the light had left them. The older man looked more like the Azkaban Sirius than ever before. His face was full of despair.

“Harry.”

“I’m here.”

“You shouldn’t have…shouldn’t have come…”

Harry said nothing, inching closer.

“It’s late…and dangerous out here…”

“Since when were you one to think of danger?” Harry said softly.

Sirius turned his head away. “The Death Eaters… They might be looking for you…”

“Why?”

“They’re hunting down the members of the Order, Harry… They’ll kill you too if they get a chance…”

Harry lowered himself to the ground, feeling the throbbing ache in his chest once again. “Are you alright?” he said again.

He knew the answer already, but also realized that Sirius would never admit it. “Leila was worried about you,” Harry continued. “She wasn’t sure what you’d do…”

Sirius laughed harshly. “Why worry about me? You two should be wallowing in grief right now. It was your parents who died. I…”

“You were his best friend,” Harry reminded him. “You were practically brothers.”

His godfather’s shoulders shook even harder, and he pounded the ground with his fist. “I should have been there... I could have prevented it! I was supposed to go to his practice, but Emmeline Vance couldn’t make it to watch Ginny, and I decided to stay with her instead…I’m such a bloody idiot…”

“It wasn’t your fault,” Harry said, feeling a sensation of déjà vu. Less than an hour ago, Leila had told him the same thing. “If you’d gone, you’d be dead too… Then where would Leila and I be? Parentless and godfatherless.”

“Some godfather I’ve turned out to be,” Sirius said bitterly. “I didn’t even have the courage to break the news to you two…McGonagall had to do it…”

“Lupin told me,” Harry said quietly.

“They should have made Remus your godfather,” Sirius continued. “I couldn’t even save Lily and James…how am I supposed to protect you? There I was, refereeing the match while Lily and James were being murdered…” Suddenly he cut off, and Harry jerked his head up.

“What is it?”

“I’m not sure,” Sirius said, his voice suddenly calmer. “I can’t tell. Here, help me up.”

Harry stood quickly and offered Sirius a hand. His godfather scrambled to his feet and looked around warily.

“What did you hear?”

“Nothing,” Sirius said. “But something feels wrong…we should get back to the school, Harry, it’s not safe out here…GET DOWN!”

Two jets of red light had appeared out of the shadows. Harry threw himself to the ground, and the spells missed him by inches. He and Sirius crouched against the wall.

At the end of the alley way, four dark shapes were approaching. The moonlight fell on one particularly dark figure, wearing black robes and a mask…Death Eaters…

On instinct, Harry threw up a shield. Only seconds later, two more spells sped toward him and ricocheted off of his shield.

“Nice shield,” Sirius began, but the spells started flying. “Keep your shield up!” his godfather yelled. “I’ll fire.”

Sirius leaned forward and began his own barrage of spells. The four shapes scattered, still battering Harry’s shield with a variety of hexes and jinxes… Then a couple of deep red and purple lines flew past…

“They’re starting with the more serious spells,” Sirius shouted. “Hold the shield…”

A yell from one of the Death Eaters let Harry know that someone had been hit. Several more spells bounced off the blue shield. “Atta boy, Harry,” Sirius cheered.

But Harry could feel the shield crumbling. “It’s breaking,” he cried, but not soon enough. With a crack, his shield disintegrated, Harry dove out of the way of an oncoming stunner…the spell just barely missed him…and it hit Sirius straight in the chest.

“Sirius!” Harry shouted as his godfather crumpled to the ground.

“Get the boy,” someone yelled.

On instinct, Harry rolled out of the way and the bricks where he’d just been shattered into a million pieces at the force of the spells. Harry dove behind some garbage bins. “Stupefy! Impedimenta! Expelliarmus!”

One of the spells found its mark… The tallest Death Eater was blasted back into the side of a building and lay still on the ground where he’d fallen.

But a second later, his refuge was blasted to bits with a well-aimed Reducto… Harry flattened himself to the ground and slithered around the side, trying to stay hidden.

“Where’d the stupid boy go?”

It was a female’s voice. The woman moved closer, holding her wand out in front of her.

“He’s around here somewhere,” the other Death Eater said, a man’s voice this time.

“Playing hide and seek, is he?” the woman cackled. “Let’s see if he’ll show himself once we’ve finished off Black.” Harry watched in horror as she twirled her wand, finally pointing it casually at the fallen body of his godfather…

“Avada Ke…”

"NO!" Harry screamed, and threw himself at the woman. The masked figure stumbled, and the spell bounced harmlessly off the side of the building.

The other Death Eater pointed a wand at the unconscious Sirius. "Nooooo," Harry yelled again, shooting a stunning spell at the offending Death Eater, who dodged it.

Suddenly his ears were filled with an unearthly high pitched laughter. The woman Death Eater pulled off her mask, and a cascade of dark brown hair flooded out. Harry found himself staring into the heavily hooded eyes of Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Is my dear cousin important to you? Then it will give me even more pleasure to kill him right now!" she shrieked.

"I won't let you kill him," Harry yelled without thinking. "Petrificus Totalis," he shouted, but she simply deflected it with a flick of her wand. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the other Death Eater raise his wand, but he was focused on saving Sirius from that witch. "You won't kill him... NOT AGAIN!"

The other Death Eater froze. Bellatrix gave another shriek of laughter and raised her wand, but Harry was quicker. "Expelliarmus," he yelled, feeling his fury channeled into the spell. It hit her in the chest, and her wand flew toward Harry as Bellatrix was blasted backwards by the intensity of the spell. She slammed up against the wall, and lay still. Harry whirled around to face the other Death Eater, and raised his wand to cast a spell...

"Potter, I'd advise you to stop waving that thing around."

Harry suddenly felt paralyzed. He knew that voice. The Death Eater took advantage of the few extra moments, and disarmed him. "That's better, Potter. Now if you'll pick your lower jaw off the ground and collect your Pureblood traitor godfather, we can be off."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Harry spat contemptuously.

"As always, you are so arrogant to think you can resist me without a wand. Let me see..." The man flicked his wand up and said, "Accio wands!" Bellatrix's and Sirius's wands soared into the Death Eater's outstretched hand. "Now I have in my possession four wands, and you have none. If you move an inch I didn't first approve, your godfather here will be dead before you can even beg. Any further objections?"

Harry ground his teeth, but knew there was nothing to do. "Stand," the Death Eater said, and Harry rose slowly.

"You can take off your mask," Harry said bitterly. "I know who you are."

"Do I detect a tiny bit of intelligence? Unbelievable. Fine, then," the man said carelessly, then flipped off his mask.

Harry found himself staring into the cold, black eyes of Severus Snape.


Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear