Search:

SIYE Time:9:15 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150047; Chapter Total: 5557





Author's Notes:
Please tell me what you think of my humble attempts by reviewing! Thanks to my wonderful beta reader NetJunkie who helps me get over my Americanisms and learn to spell English the right way!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Breakfast was delicious, but Harry wasn’t thinking about the food. His eyes followed his mother around the kitchen as she bewitched the dishes to wash themselves and the ingredients to fly back to their places in the cupboards. She was more beautiful than any of the pictures he had seen. She had thick reddish-brown hair and her green eyes sparkled and danced when she smiled. His father sat at the head of the table, reading the Daily Prophet.

“What a load of rubbish,” James exclaimed over the paper. “Listen to this: ‘The Ministry of Magic announced this morning that Minister Lucius Malfoy is considering a decree to ban all half-bloods from government positions.’”

Harry choked on his orange juice. “What?”

“I know, it’s outrageous. There aren’t enough purebloods left to occupy all the ministry positions. I daresay You-Know-Who has just about cleansed the wizarding world of Muggle-borns. He’ll be working on making it completely pure-blooded next.”

“He’s gotten rid of all the Muggle-borns?” Harry said incredulously, his mind spinning to process the new information. Lucius Malfoy, minister of magic. He never thought he’d see the day. He wondered if Voldemort had ever fallen in this world.

James’s eyebrows shot up. “Where have you been for the last seven years? Think, Harry. When was the last time you saw a Muggle-born at Hogwarts? You-Know-Who has banned them from the school ever since he came back to power.”

“What happened to them?” Harry said, wildly wondering if Hermione was out there, with her extreme intelligence and brilliant skills, still thinking she was a Muggle.

“Some don’t know the truth that they’re witches and wizards. Some were killed off by the Death Eaters when they protested the law, and some were secretly smuggled out of the country to attend foreign schools. Salem, Durmstrang, Beaubatoxons, and Pacisnitor all opened their doors secretly to British Muggle-borns. And some hid their lineage, like your mother.”

The conversation was interrupted when the door flew open and a girl with bright green eyes and dark hair highlighted by auburn streaks stalked in.

“First day of summer and you won’t even let me sleep in,” she said accusingly to James. “Come on, Dad, just once I’d like to wake up on my own!”

“Maybe you’d wake up earlier if you weren’t up late last night on the telephone with Luna,” Lily Potter called from the kitchen.

The girl slumped into the chair opposite and glared at Harry. “You told her, didn’t you?” she spat at him. “You’re such a prat.”

“Leila,” Lily said, a warning note in her voice. “Watch your mouth. Your brother did no such thing. I overheard you on my way to bed. Now apologize.”

Leila looked disgruntled, but she stared down at her lap and muttered, “Sorry.”

Harry said nothing. He was still trying to digest this new information. He had…a sister? He looked her over; she definitely had inherited characteristics from both parents with her dark hair and almond-shaped green eyes. She didn’t wear glasses, and her hair was pulled back into a high ponytail secured by a ribbon. She was wearing a pair of old jeans and a red shirt that accented the auburn locks in her hair. Lily waved her wand and a plate of bacon and eggs came flying across the room to land in front of Leila, who began to eat sullenly.

Suddenly James swore and threw down the paper in disgust.

“James! Language!” Lily said sharply, glancing up from the pile of potatoes that were peeling themselves.

“I never thought I’d see the day the Ministry would be so corrupted,” James sighed. “My father used to work for the Ministry, and he was on the Wizarding Grimott. He had nothing but good things to say about the way the government was being run, but now…well, it’s so corrupt! And most of the people on power don’t even know that the whole Ministry is being controlled by You-Know-Who.”

“’Cause Malfoy’s one of Voldemort’s Death Eaters,” said Harry automatically

James looked surprised. “Well, yes, Harry. Don’t say that name, though. Nowadays it could get you killed on the streets.”

“Dumbledore says fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself,” Harry said before he could stop himself, irked that his own father wouldn’t say the name.

There was a crash from the kitchen. Lily had dropped the dish she was holding onto the tile floor. Quickly she waved her wand and repaired it, then turned to Harry. “Where did you hear that?” she said quickly, white-faced.

“I...er, heard it somewhere,” Harry said. “Why?”

Lily sank down into the chair next to Harry’s and sighed. “Harry, you know how people feel about Dumbledore these days. After his death, the Ministry covered everything up and said he had turned to the dark side. They gave Malfoy the credit for defeating the Dark Lord and made him Minister of Magic. We know the truth, though,” she said softly, placing one hand on Harry’s shoulder affectionately. “We know that he died duelling You-Know-Who.”

Harry reeled back in surprise. “Dumbledore’s dead?” he said, dumbfounded. Dumbledore? Dead from duelling Voldemort? “When?” he muttered hoarsely.

“Right before you were born,” Lily said softly, looking out the window with a distant expression on her face. “He was the greatest headmaster Hogwarts ever had. He battled You-Know-Who until both of them were weak from the fight and then Dumbledore tried to kill him.”

“But Voldemort didn’t die,” Harry prodded, hoping to get the whole story out of his parents.
“No.” James answered this time. “And no one knows why. It seemed like You-Know-Who died, those who witnessed it said he kind of just disappeared. And Dumbledore died shortly after, probably from the strain and intensity of the fight. He wasn’t young.”

“Tell me again about how Voldemort rose to power again,” Harry said. His parents both glanced at him; his mother’s glance was condoling, but his father looked suspicious. “Um…you know how it is with the Ministry interfering at Hogwarts these days,” Harry put in quickly, guessing that if Lucius Malfoy was Minister of Magic, Hogwarts would be no better than it was during the days Dolores Umbridge was headmistress. “You can’t trust anything you hear anymore.”

It seemed to be the right answer, because his father broke his inquiring gaze. “It happened seven years ago, before you went to Hogwarts, remember?” Harry nodded, to keep him talking. “I don’t know he did it, but I suppose he made himself a new body, since it seemed he was broken, powerless, and bodiless before that. I suppose he called upon really ancient dark magic to perform the ritual, but it probably doesn’t matter. What matters is that he’s more powerful than ever before and everyone’s under the impression that resisting him is useless.” James’s shoulders slumped. “The Order disbanded.”

“What?” Harry couldn’t believe it. The Order of the Phoenix, give up?

“I thought I told you about that,” Lily broke in, looking at him curiously. “I owled you and your sister last fall.”

“Ahh…maybe she forgot to give me the letter,” Harry lied.

His explanation seemed to mollify his parents, but he noticed that Leila was listening very carefully now to the conversation and watching Harry, an unreadable expression on her face.

“We re-formed after You-Know-Who…”

“Say ‘Voldemort,’ Mum,” Harry said. “No one else is here.”

She nodded. “We re-formed after V-voldemort’s return, and fought him for years, but it’s too dangerous to have any kind of organization against him, now that he’s got the Ministry under his thumb. We fought, but whenever Voldemort suspected anyone of being against him, he sent Death Eaters to their house and…” She broke off, wiping a tear from her eye.

James jumped in. “He lets people know exactly what will happen to their families if they refuse to join him. He murdered my parents right after his return to power. Lily’s parents…well, that was just recently, remember?”

Harry nodded, though he didn’t remember anything. “How come he hasn’t killed you?” he asked.

“You, me, your mother, Leila, this house–it’s all under the Fidelius charm. Sirius is our Secret-Keeper. I suppose that charm was applied so long ago that you wouldn’t remember it.”

“Which members of the Order died again?” Harry knew he was pushing his luck, but he simply had to know. He hoped they wouldn’t ship him off to St. Mungo’s for supposed memory loss.

“Let’s see…” Harry’s mother ticked the names off on her fingers. “The Prewetts…”

“No, Mum, the ones that died in the second war,” Harry said, having been told the list before. “Moody showed me an original Order photo and told me who died in the First War,” he explained quickly, when his mum shot him an inquisitive look.

“Oh, okay… Second war: Arabella Figg. Dedalus Diggle, Sturgis Podmore, Rubeus Hagrid…”

“They killed Hagrid?” Harry exclaimed, a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“Took ten Death Eaters to take him down too,” Lily said sadly. “Oh, and they got Charlie…”

“Weasley?” Harry said very quickly.

Lily nodded. “Yeah, him and Tonks at the same time. They were to be married too. I’m sure you’ve met his brother Ron in school.”

“I’ve met him,” Harry said, smiling a little, remembering all the things he’d done with Ron–homework late at night, practicing Quidditch, escaping the Acromantula in the Forbidden Forrest, practicing in the DA, the giant chess game they’d had to get across to get the Philosopher’s Stone…

Then what his mother said sank in. “They got Tonks too?” he said. His breakfast was balling up in his stomach.

“That poor family,” his mother said, still going on about the Weasleys. “Arthur and Molly have seen it all… first their daughter, then Charlie…”

Harry gave her a blank stare. “What happened to Ginny?”

“Oh Harry, don’t you remember? In your second year? I don’t know how, but she was opening the Chamber of Secrets and word got out to the Ministry that she was the one responsible for all those deaths. They let Hagrid off easy the first time, but the jury said this time they couldn’t do it again…with four students dead, and all. They sent her to Azkaban, that poor little girl…”

But Harry had pushed back his chair and stood up so abruptly the table slid forward and his glass was knocked over. “THEY SENT HER TO AZKABAN?”

His parents and Leila stared at him, openmouthed. “I thought you knew, Harry,” Lily whispered.

“I bloody well didn’t know! How could they send her to Azkaban? It wasn’t her fault!”
“Harry, what’s wrong with you?” Leila said loudly. He froze, realizing how stupid he must look, yelling about something that happened years before.

“I’m not feeling well,” he lied. “I need to go upstairs and lie down.” And he fled the room and bounded up the stairs to his bedroom.

Ginny in Azkaban. The very picture tore at his insides. Harry flopped down on his bed and balled his fists so hard that his fingernails were cutting into his skin. The great lump in his stomach had now risen to his throat. He swallowed hard. What had happened? Had the diary been discovered at all? The Basilisk was still alive, no doubt, the diary cast away, waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to come along and write in it. But how come she hadn’t been killed? Harry guessed that maybe she had been somehow caught in the act of opening the Chamber… The unwanted images of Ginny chained to that chair in the courtroom came to his mind…Ginny being dragged away by Dementors… Ginny huddled in her cell, reliving the worst memories of her life again and again…

Harry made up his mind. He was going to rescue Ginny if it cost him his life.
Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear