Search:

SIYE Time:1:19 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The World As We Knew It
By ginnyp0tter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 309
Summary: Destroy the Horcruxes—that’s Harry’s goal, until an Aperio throws him and two other unknown people into a world where the prophecy never existed, his parents and Sirius are alive, and Ginny went to Azkaban for opening the Chamber. Canon pairings, pre DH.
Hitcount: Story Total: 150296; Chapter Total: 4882





Author's Notes:
If you're interested, fourty-six chapters of this story are posted on fanfiction . net.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Potter!"

"Hello, Professor," Harry said, folding his Invisibility Cloak and placing it safely back in his pocket.

McGonagall clutched her chest and leaned again on the sink again. "Potter, what do you think you're doing here?"

"I need him," Remus said. "He speaks Parseltounge."

"Harry Potter? No."

"I'm afraid he does," Remus said. "He's the only Parselmouth I know, therefore he is the only one who can open the Chamber."

"But a student..." McGonagall said weakly.

"I'll be seventeen in two weeks," Harry said, annoyed.

"I don't know..."

"Minerva, just watch. Then you'll know it's true. Go ahead, Harry."

Harry moved over to the sink in front of Myrtle's stall, and stared hard at the copper snake. "Open up," he said.

Lupin shook his head. "Parseltongue, Harry."

Harry suddenly felt a jolt of fear. His scar was gone. Did that mean his abilities were gone as well? Maybe he wasn't a Parselmouth anymore.

He looked at the snake, trying to believe that it was alive. The wand light reflected off the snake's eyes....

"Open up," Harry said, but this time a hissing noise emitted from his throat. He felt a thrill rush through his veins as the tap glowed and began to spin. The sink began to move and a few moments later it was gone, leaving in its place a large pipe several feet across in diameter.

"Are you coming?" Lupin said gently to the wide-eyed woman.

"That's the entrance?" McGonagall said shakily. "To think it was right here and we never found it..."

"Minerva?"

"But what about the monster?" she said, her voice a little louder. "Surely you are not planning on challenging it to a duel, are you?"

"Not tonight," Lupin said. "Besides, it can only come when the heir of Slytherin summons it. And unless Harry here is hiding his true lineage, I can safely say that none of us fit that criteria. Would you like to go first, Minerva?"

She shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Then I will, by your leave." Lupin nodded to her, then slipped into the hole and disappeared from view.

Harry looked over at McGonagall. "It's OK, Professor. I promise."

McGonagall seemed to pull herself together. She marched over to the hole and slid her slippered feet into the opening. Then without another word she too disappeared from view. Harry waited a few seconds to let her get a head start, then he slid into the dark opening.

The pipe was if possible even more slimy and dark than he remembered. He slid on and on into the inky blackness, feeling his stomach flip as the pipes steepened. Finally the pipe leveled out and Harry landed on the cold damp floor of the tunnel.

Lupin helped him up, and then looked expectantly at him. Harry realized that Lupin expected him to lead. "Um, let's try this way," he said, pointing to the right. McGonagall looked at them strangely but didn't say anything as Harry lit his wand and led the way down the tunnel.

The only sounds to be heard were the echoing footsteps. Harry felt something crunch under his foot. Raising his wand, he saw the same piles of small animal bones. Then in the darkness he saw the huge shape of the Basilisk skin.

"What's that?" McGonagall breathed, her eyes wide.

"It's just the skin," Harry said, walking over to it and poking it with his lit wand. "See? It's dead."

"A Basilisk?" McGonagall gasped. "That's what's down here? But you said it can't come unless Slytherin’s heir summons it."

"Right," said Harry. "Careful not to do anything to the walls. They look as if they might cave in any moment."

They walked on in silence. Several twists and turns later they came to the solid wall on which two entwined serpents were carved, their eyes set in emeralds.

"Open," Harry hissed, and they obliged. He looked back at Lupin and McGonagall, who were both looking more nervous than before. "It's OK," he repeated. Then he stepped through the doorway.

The Chamber was exactly as he remembered it. On either side of the long room, tall pillars sporting even more carved serpents rose to the blackness above. Harry moved forward between the columns and from the footsteps behind, he knew Lupin and McGonagall were following. His trainers made squeaking noises on the damp marble pavement as he walked.

Finally he came to the end. The statue of Salazar Slytherin rose impressively above him. The eyes seemed to be leering down at the three unwelcome visitors. Harry moved forward, to the foot of the statue. His heart leapt when he saw the small square object lying open on the floor. It was the diary.

"Look!"

Harry picked up the diary and held it out to McGonagall and Lupin. Lupin nodded, his face breaking into a relieved smile, but McGonagall was looking angrily from the diary to Lupin and back again. "We came down here for a diary?" she exclaimed, her voice rising dangerously.

"Not just a diary. A Horcrux. Listen, we'll... I'll explain everything when we get out of this place. How do a nice hot cup of tea and a few cleaning spells sound to you?"

"You'd better have a very good explanation for this," McGonagall said, snatching up the diary and stomping away towards the doors at the opposite end of the Chamber.

Harry looked up at the giant statue of Slytherin. "That's where the Basilisk came out," he said softly, and pointed to Slytherin's mouth.

Lupin said nothing, but Harry felt a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Ginny was lying right between the feet right there. I thought she was dead," Harry said. For some reason it was important to explain this. "Riddle was standing over there. He took my wand while I was with Ginny."

Lupin's grip on Harry's shoulder tightened. "He said he was the greatest sorcerer to ever live, but I told him he was wrong. I told him that Dumbledore was the greatest wizard ever. Then Fawkes flew in and brought the Sorting Hat. Riddle called the Basilisk, and told it to kill me, but Fawkes pecked its eyes out and the Sorting Hat gave me Godric Gryffindor's sword. I somehow managed to kill the Basilisk when it stuck, but one of the fangs was embedded in my arm. I was right over there." Harry pointed. "Against that wall. I thought I was dying. Riddle thought so too, because he told me I was going to join my dear Mudblood mother.

"But then Fawkes came and his tears healed my wound. Riddle was furious. He was about to kill me, but I plunged the Basilisk fang into the diary and ink spurted everywhere. Riddle started screaming, then he just disappeared. Ginny woke up. She was scared everyone was going to blame her for doing it. But she was OK."

Both stood silently contemplating the things that had happened in this room. Then Harry heard someone clear their throat.

"Remus, Harry, I think it is about time to be going." McGonagall's voice had lost its sharpness. "I believe you have more to tell me than you first let on."



The Headmaster's--or in this case Headmistress's--office had not changed much since Harry had last been there, only weeks before, but realities away. Gone were Dumbledore's silver instruments and knick-knacks, but Fawkes's perch was still present, as well as a Pensieve in the corner. The same large desk still stood in the middle of the room. Harry could hear the soft snores from the portraits lining the walls.

Harry let go of the rock McGonagall had turned into a Portkey in the Chamber. The Headmistress conjured up two chairs. "Pardon me while I go change into some decent clothes," she said briskly. Harry looked at her blankly, then realized that Minerva McGonagall was coved in dirt and slime from the Chamber. Her hair had come out of the long braid, and some of it was plastered to her face. Her red dressing gown was red no more. Harry had to bite back a laugh. He'd never seen his Transfiguration teacher in such a state before.

"Don't sit on the chairs or couch before cleaning yourselves off if you value your life," the woman warned, before disappearing through doorway behind the desk.

Harry and Lupin began casting spells to clean themselves off. Harry wished he had Hermione. She was always much better at Charms than he was. The Scourgify spell Harry was using was only vanishing some of the mud on his robes.

Several minutes later, McGongagall emerged, wearing her school robes. Her hair was wet, but pulled neatly up into a bun.

"Merlin's Beard," she muttered when she saw Harry and Lupin still trying to clean off the mud they had missed. "Scourgify!"

Harry's robes were spotless again. "Thanks, Professor," he said gratefully, sinking down into the chair. It was soft and plump, a far cry better than McGonagall's usual straight-backed chairs.

"Now," she said, sitting behind her desk and watching them over the tops of her spectacles. "I believe you have a story to tell me, Mr. Potter. Forgive me for eavesdropping, but I could not help overhearing a tale you told Lupin in the Chamber and it is very contradictory to the Chamber of Secrets story I am acquainted with."

With a quick glance at Lupin, who sighed, but nodded in approval, Harry held out the diary. "This is Tom Riddle's diary, Professor. Or Lord Voldemort, when he was young and at Hogwarts. It's a Horcrux, but not just a Horcrux, because writing in it will allow Voldemort to possess the writer. Watch."

Harry borrowed her pen and ink and wrote, "My name is Harry Potter," on the first page. The ink faded into the page. Suddenly words began to appear on the page. "Harry Potter. It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Tom Riddle."

McGonagall watched, wide-eyed. "This is the diary Ginny Weasley wrote in all the time in her first year?"

Harry nodded. "If you write in it too much Voldemort can possess you. He can make you do things. That's what happened to Ginny. One of Voldemort's Death Eaters, Lucius Malfoy, slipped the diary into her cauldron in Flourish and Blotts at Diagon Alley in her first year. She wrote in it and Riddle made her kill the roosters, and write the words on the wall in blood, and open the Chamber."

"So she was innocent," the headmistress said quietly. "I told them she couldn't have done it, but that boy, Draco Malfoy caught her in the act. He told his father and they sent Ministry officials to take her away."

The clock on McGongall's wall struck 4:00. Had it only been four hours since Harry had said good-bye to Leila? It had felt like much longer.

McGonagall straightened. "You still haven’t told me how you both seem to know so much information, and why your story, Mr. Potter, is so different from the accounts I have previously heard."

Harry glanced at Lupin, who, heaving another sigh, plunged into the account of the Aperio, and the other reality they had lived in. Lupin explained about the prophecy, quickly outlined the doings of the Order of the Phoenix, and told of how Dumbledore had been the one to discover the Horcruxes, hindered by the recent events of Dumbledore's death and Snape's betrayal.

"The diary was the first Horcrux discovered, and likely Ginny Weasley's story would have been very similar had it not been for Harry here," Lupin concluded.

Harry took up the story and explained how he, Ron, and Hermione had figured out the clues, and how he had killed the Basilisk and destroyed the Horcrux, rescuing Ginny.

"That makes a lot more sense," McGonagall said once Harry had finished. She removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes. "Now I understand why you both seem to know much more than you should. An Aperio, though. Good Lord, one of those hasn't been seen in a thousand years. It's very complicated magic and nearly impossible to undo. I understand why you are trying to keep this a secret, though." she acknowledged. "It is for the best."

The clock struck 5:00, and Lupin glanced up. "Did it take an hour to tell the story?" he said, alarmed. "I've got to get Harry home before his parents wake up!"

McGonagall stood. "Gentlemen, I thank you for your time. It was a most enlightening experience. Please know that I stand behind you in every decision you make from now on."

Harry looked gratefully at her. "Thank you, Professor. We need all the help we can get."



McGonagall escorted them to the front doors, and bade them good night. Harry and Lupin mounted their brooms and flew across the grounds, but as soon as they had passed the gate, Harry landed.

"What are you doing?" Lupin said, looking confused.

"I'm Apparating," Harry said firmly

"Harry! No! You're not..."

"Seventeen... I know. I'm almost seventeen, and I can do it. Besides, Leila told me Dad gets up early sometimes, and I can't risk being found missing."

"But..."

"I can do it, Remus! I Apparated myself and Dumbledore from the cave to Hogsmeade, didn't I?"

"I...

"It's the quickest way home, and we really can't risk taking any more time than we must. You can just go on home. I told you, I can do it myself."

Lupin looked wearily at the stubborn teenager. "Alright, Harry. Go ahead. I won't stop you."

Harry took a few steps back, then paused. "Thank you, Professor. For coming tonight."

"I couldn't have found this," Lupin held up the diary, "without you, Harry. Now go, before James and Lily wake up. I'll set about calling another Order meeting."

Harry closed his eyes, and thought of the three D's. He concentrated on the Potters' house in Godric Hollow, he pictured the front yard in his mind, and then he turned.

The sensation of being pulled through an airless tube filled him. He couldn't breathe. The world was spinning... And suddenly Harry felt his feet land on firm ground. He was standing, if only a little shakily, in front of his house.

As the first blushes of pink lit the eastern sky, Harry flew through the still-open windows into his bedroom. He landed a bit breathlessly and was startled by a soft snore.

Leila was stretched out on his bed, fully clothed, her face hidden by a mop of dark hair. One arm hung limply over the side of the mattress.

"Leila, get up!" Harry said, and shook her.

She rolled over and moaned, blindly swatting away his hand. "No, Mum..." she mumbled in her sleep. "He's not here...off shagging Cho...somewhere..."

Harry was horrified. "Leila, you prat! Get off my bed this instant!"

She groaned, and opened one sleepy eye. "Hawwy?" she muttered.

"You're in my bed, squirt," he said, and unmercifully shoved her off. She landed with a thud on the floor.

He turned back to shut the window, and suddenly felt a wave of tiredness sweep over him. Depositing his broom in the closet, Harry fumbled around in the dresser for a pair of pajamas, and pulled his shirt off over his head.

"Eww, I did not need to see all that," Leila snapped. Harry turned, and saw her pulling herself back onto the bed.

"Sod off," he replied, grinning as he slipped the night shirt on over his head. "Honestly, Leila, what are Mum and Dad going to say if they find you in my room at five in the morning?"

Harry heard a gasp. "Mum and Dad," Leila said weakly. "The silencing charm..."

She dashed out of his room drawing her wand and mumbling things under her breath. Harry finished changing and crawled into bed. His head had hardly hit the pillow before sleep overtook him.

Harry was dreaming about Quidditch. He was playing Keeper and Ron was the Seeker, but instead of looking for the Snitch, Ron was snogging Cho Chang, who kept throwing Harry dirty looks over Ron's shoulder. Harry tried to look away, but he was having a hard time tearing his eyes from Ron and Cho.

"Harry! Get your head back in the game!" someone yelled. Harry looked over and saw Aunt Petunia in the stands. He flew back to the goals. A hundred Chasers were all flying at him, red Quaffles aimed at the goals. As they drew closer he realized with a sinking feeling that a hundred Ginnys were glaring at him.

"Harry," the Ginny in the lead said in a mournful voice, and with a shock, Harry realized that it wasn't Ginny, but a skeleton. Sunken brown eyes stared back at him from the skull, which was sporting red tresses. Ginny flew closer to him. "Harry... It's your fault..."

"NO!" Harry shouted, flying backwards, away from the crowd of skeleton Ginnys. "I tried! I promise!"

"You failed," she said, watching him coldly. Then she raised her arm and threw the Quaffle through the goal. Suddenly Harry felt something hit him hard on the head.

"Ow!" he cried, and turning he saw Fred and George there, their Beater clubs raised menacingly.

"You didn't save the goal," one of them said, and they began to hit him again and again with their bats....

"Ow! No, I tried! I tried to save it... I tried to save her... I will save her!" Harry yelled as the blows intensified.

He raised his arms to protect himself, and realized that he was clutching blankets.

"Lazy git," a cheerful voice said. "Get up before the day wastes away."

"Oomph." The person had hit him again, but it wasn't a Beater's bat, it was.... a pillow?

"Sirius!" Harry complained as he pushed back the covers and drunkenly slid his feet out of the bed. "All normal people are still sleeping."

His cheek earned him another smack with the pillow. "Get up, Harry! Imagine my surprise when I arrive promptly at nine and find you still in bed asleep. Were you just planning on skipping Animagus lessons today and forgot to owl me? Or did you as a cruel joke plan on my accepting the task your mother gave me to ‘get Harry out of bed’?”

Harry blinked sleepily at his godfather. “Lessons. Oh yeah. I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

Once Sirius had left, Harry got up, leaving the bed unmade. He grabbed some clothes and headed for the shower, randomly wondering if they had any house-elves. His room seemed to stay clean, but it might be his mum.

Ten minutes later, Harry finished toweling his hair and headed for the stairs. As he turned the corner, he ran straight into Leila, who was carrying a towel and obviously headed for the bathroom.

“Harry!” she gasped, dropping the towel. “Bloody hell…” A moment later, she had a death grip on his arm and had dragged him through the nearest doorway, slamming the door behind them.

Harry looked around. This must be his parents’ room. A king-sized four-poster bed stood in middle; on the left wall was an armoire, on the right a desk. A large window sporting golden curtains provided a nice view of the front of the house

A sharp slap on his arm brought his mind spinning back to reality. “What?” he asked the fuming Leila who looked like she wanted nothing more than to stomp on his toes or submit him to some cruel and unusual undiscovered form of torture.

“You!” she said, keeping her voice low. “You show up this morning, push me out of your bed, and tell me nothing of how last night went!”

“You didn’t ask,” Harry said, completely nonplussed. He was positive he’d never understand girls.

“That’s not the point! You’re supposed to tell me how it went!”

“So, I’ll tell you now,” Harry said, shrugging. “We flew to this place called the Black Dragon and flooed from there to the Hog’s Head.” As he hurriedly related his story, his eye caught something on the desk. Still talking, he ventured over, and found himself staring at an assortment of framed photographs.

“…Lupin sent his Patronus to take the message to McGonagall that we were there…” A picture of his parents at their wedding sat in a heart-shaped frame in the middle of the collage. “…we searched the entire castle…” One photograph displayed a baby with a full head of messy black hair kicking his legs happily. “…Lupin said, ‘And it’s also the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets’…” Next to that picture was a picture of a baby girl, smiling toothlessly in a pink baby crib. “…McGonagall nearly died when I took off my Invisibility Cloak…” Another photograph of a toddler with black hair holding baby girl carefully, as if she might break. “…We slid down the entrance pipe and landed at the bottom…” The two children playing at the beach. The boy was throwing water at the girl, who was screaming in delight. “…we passed the Basilisk skin…” A birthday party–James and Lily smiling proudly as a small girl blew out five candles on a large cake. Harry caught a glimpse of Sirius, Lupin, and Pettigrew lingering in the background, all wearing ridiculous party hats. “…and the Chamber door swung open…Leila, are these pictures of us?” Harry asked, completely forgetting about his story.

“Prat,” she said, eyes flashing. “Finish your story!”

“Oh yeah… well, we went into the Chamber, found the diary, and left. Oh, and McGonagall knows.”

“Knows what?”

“About the Aperio. About Lupin and me. We had to tell her.”

“She won’t tell Mum and Dad, will she?”

“No.” Harry studied another photograph. It showed a proud looking 11-year-old boy holding a wand and a stack of books and school robes. “These are pictures of us, right?” he asked again.

“Yeah,” she said impatiently. “You’d better get downstairs. Mum and Dad are used to me sleeping in, but for you it’s just suspicious.

Harry had no desire to move though. His eyes caught on a family photograph, probably taken when he was seven or eight. Leila was perched on her father’s lap, and a younger Harry stood behind the seated couple with one hand on his mum’s shoulder. All were grinning broadly. “These are cool,” he said.

“They’re just stupid pictures,” Leila said. “I look awful.”

“No, you don’t,” Harry countered. “I’ve never seen pictures like this before. I mean, of when I was little.”

Leila paused. “You haven’t?”

“No.”

She tossed her head edgily, but her voice was softer. “Why not?”

“The Dursleys never took pictures of me. I’ve got a few pictures from my years at Hogwarts, and a couple pictures Hagrid gave me from when I was really little before Mum and Dad died, but nothing in between.”

Leila moved closer and looked at the pictures too. “I always thought pictures were stupid. But now…”

“Yeah, well, next time you start taking any of this for granted, remember you could be parentless right now,” Harry said flatly.

She was silent as he examined a few more pictures. “You know,” Leila finally said, “I’ve got a photo album in my room that Mum made me. But I never look at it. If you want it, you can have it.”

“I couldn’t…”

“Shut up, Harry,” she said firmly. “I never look at it! It’s probably in the top of my closet along with the dolls you decapitated when we were little. The album most likely has an inch of dust covering it. It’s yours, and that’s final.”

Harry looked gratefully at his sister. “Thanks, Leila.”

“Don’t mention it. Now get your lazy bum downstairs before Mum and Dad send up a search party,” she commanded.


Reviews 309
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear