Search:

SIYE Time:22:45 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Quiet Interlude in the Burrow’s Attic
By Carrick ORourke

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 11
Summary: Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley cme to a mutual understanding late one night in the Burrow's attic.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7531



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Quiet Interlude in the Burrow’s Attic


There was an almost soothing rhythm to the sound of the rain beating against the roof of the Burrow. Distant claps of thunder could be heard amid the pitter-patter of the rain and every so often a flash of lightning would slice the dark night sky momentarily revealing the figure of a teenage boy staring contemplatively out an open attic window.

"Having fun sitting up here alone in the dark, Harry?" a girl's voice quietly asked from the doorway to the attic.

Harry Potter gave a slight start as he turned and stared in surprise at Ginny Weasley. "How did you know I was up here?"

Ginny gave a sly grin as she climbed up into the attic. "I have my ways."

Harry gave Ginny a bemused expression as she laughed. "All right, I figured you might be here when I didn't see you downstairs and you weren't in any of the rooms upstairs. So, I decided you might be up here in the attic because it's one of the few places at the Burrow where someone can be alone."

Harry nodded in agreement, "That's true."

Ginny moved a little further into the attic. "Did you know there are candles up her?" She took her wand out and waited expectantly. Harry hesitated a moment as if he was trying to decide whether or not he really wanted light. Finally he agreed and Ginny conjured the candlelight.

Ginny casually leaned against some boxes and a couple of rusted old kettles as she continued explaining to Harry, "I figured with this rain, you wouldn't be outside. At least Hermione and Ron said they hadn't seen you out there .

Harry turned a little more in his chair to face Ginny. "They were out in the rain?" he asked smiling.

"Yes," Ginny answered as she walked over to where Harry was sitting. "I don't think they minded." She leaned against the window sill and looked down at him with a satisfied smirk. "At least Ron didn't mind, if you know what I mean."

Harry's eyes went a little wider and he gave a cough to try to hide the chuckle in the back of his throat. Ginny grinned at Harry. “So, have you and Heathcliff met?”

Harry had a bewildered look for a moment or so and then his face registered understanding. “Ah, you mean the ghoul.”

“Yes.”

“I didn’t know his name was Heathcliff.”

“It’s not,” Ginny laughed, “I call him that. He doesn’t seem to like it too much because every time I’ve met the ghoul and called him Heathcliff he’s been extra noisy that night with all of his moaning, groaning, and banging around. He usually keeps Ron up all night.”

Both Ginny and Harry laughed for a moment or so. Outside the window was another flash of lightning and crash of thunder and the two looked out and watched the storm in silence for a couple of minutes. Finally, Harry looked at Ginny as she turned back around from watching the storm.

"So why are you here, Ginny?"

"Why do you think?"

Harry started to answer but Ginny didn't wait. "I care about you, Harry."

Harry fidgeted nervously in his chair and stared at his feet. "I know you do."

"Then you should know I care about what happens to you when you're out hunting for those horcruxes."

Harry's head jerked up with a shocked expression. "How did you know about the horcruxes?"

"Don't be angry with Hermione," Ginny said a little nervously. "She was just . . . um, well . . . she was trying to make me feel better. It wasn't easy when you . . . well, when you broke up with me."

Harry again fidgeted uncomfortably. "I know Ginny. It's just that I have something I need to do and the last thing in the world I want is for something to happen to you."

"I know what you need to do," Ginny said quietly, "and I know you don't want me to get hurt."

"Or killed," Harry added darkly.

"Okay, or killed," Ginny agreed solemnly. After a moment of silence she added, "But our breaking up isn't going to make me any safer."

"Why not?" Harry asked with a note of skepticism.

"Because," Ginny responded placing her hand on her hips in a very Molly Weasley-like pose, "too many people already know about us, like Malfoy and Snape. You can bet they've told Tom Riddle by now. Our breaking up isn't going to stop him from coming after me if he wants to. He knows you still care about me, no matter what you do or say."

"That might be true," Harry said with a determined note in his voice, "but if we're not together as a couple and you're not with me while I'm hunting for the horcruxes, they just might think we're really serious and they'll leave you alone."

Ginny stood up straight and looked into Harry's eyes. "And that's why I didn't try to go and stay with you at those relatives of yours - even though Ron and Hermione did."

"Do I detect a little bitterness there?" Harry asked attempting to smile.

Ginny smiled and shook her head. "No. Besides, I don't think my mum would have allowed me to."

Harry grinned. "Well, you didn't miss much."

"Probably not," Ginny agreed. "But I also made sure to stay away from you during Bill and Fleur's wedding."

"That's because you were one of the maids of honor," chuckled Harry.

"Yeah, well I made sure to look sad and alone during the reception," Ginny smiled.

Harry swallowed hard and looked away but Ginny reached forward and gently turned his face toward her. As she did so, Harry caught a whiff of that familiar flowery scent he now associated with Ginny. "I didn't say that to make you feel bad. I know you're doing it for me. It's part of that saving people thing of yours." Ginny hesitated, turned and looked out the open window at the rain as if she was trying to decide what to say. She then continued, "I . . . I'll stay here at the Burrow where it's safe, and I'll let you fulfill the prophecy and kill Tom Riddle."

After a moment she turned to Harry, her jaw stubbornly set. "But I have a feeling it's going to come down to more than just the two of you squaring off. It's going to be a big battle and I'm going to be there." Here eyes were blazing now. "I'm going to be there because I have score to settle with that bastard Riddle."

They stared at each other in silence for what seemed like a long time. Finally, Harry spoke very quietly. "I may have broken up with you, but I still . . ."

"I know Harry," Ginny said giggling as she practically jumped into his lap, with her legs straddling his and she facing him. She wrapped her arms around his neck as she continued, "I knew at the time of Professor Dumbledore's funeral why you were breaking up with me. It still wasn't easy -- not for my sake, but because I was worried about you. I knew you weren't telling me everything. That's why Hermione explained everything going on."

Harry wrapped his arms soothingly around Ginny's waist and softly kissed her. "You don't need to worry."

She smiled at him in a knowing way. "It's you, Harry. I do need to worry about you." She kissed him back, hesitated and then forged ahead. "Harry, I worry because I . . ."

"I know," Harry interrupted as he pulled her a little closer, "and I . . . I love you too."

Ginny sucked in her breath sharply in pleasant surprise and then she kissed Harry, gently biting down on his lower lip. Harry moaned and pulled her even closer to him, his hand massaging slowly up and down along her back as his tongue parted her lips and he deepened his kiss.

When their lips finally parted, Ginny stared intently in Harry's eyes. "Did you really mean it?"

He was breathing hard and trying to catch his breath, so he merely nodded as he cupped Ginny's face with his hands and gave her another long, hard kiss.

As they again stopped to catch their breath, Ginny gave a wicked smile, "And I didn't even need a wet t-shirt."

"No," Harry mumbled as he continued to rub his hands up and down her back and hips, "but I wouldn't mind seeing you in one."

Ginny's eyes went wide and she gave a shocked gasp, and then her face broke into an impish grin. "I'll keep that in mind; but don't hold your breath."

After a few more minutes, Ginny gently rubbed her nose against Harry's and she kissed him one more time. "I'm sorry Harry, but I think we better stop. If my mum figures out where we disappeared to and finds us like this we'll both be in big trouble. You may be like a son to her, but she knows I'm definitely not like a sister to you."

"Umm," Harry growled as he nibbled at Ginny's left ear, "That's for sure."

Ginny laughed as she brushed Harry away from her and climbed off of his lap. She kissed him again and, as she turned to walk away, she said, "Okay, back to being your ex-girlfriend and quietly waiting for you to fulfill your destiny and come back to me."

"Hmph," Harry laughed. "The day you quietly wait like a good little girl is the day I turn into a hippogriff."

At that, Ginny turned and grinned at him, the candlelight reflecting in her deep brown eyes and her hair showing a multitude of shades of red. She then disappeared down the attic stairs and Harry turned his gaze back to the darkness of the rainy night.

Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear