Search:

SIYE Time:9:04 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Where'd You Go?
By Woollybladders

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 0
Summary: Harry left Ginny for an indefinite amount of time and to parts unknown. He couldn't make her any guarantees or promises. But she gave him forever anyway.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4075



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work. All the characters and whatnot belong to J.K. Rowling. I'm just borrowing them for awhile, though I'm not really sure if I'll return them in a better or worse condition. Also, I drew my inspiration from the entire story from the song "Where'd You Go?" by Fort Minor. Without that song there would be no story.



Author's Notes:
Special thanks to my beta, Shannon aka queenb23. Without her there'd be a lot more commas and confusion. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that this one-shot is actually part of a larger story, that won't be posted on this site for shipping reasons. It can be found under this name at ff.net. Thanks for reading




ChapterPrinter


Chapter One.

In the end, it came down to a battle of wills. And Ginny always won at that game. The one exception, of course, was with her mother, but otherwise, she was the champion.

Therefore, it was no surprise to her when Harry finally caved in, though it seemed to change the poor boy’s whole perspective on life.

“I can’t blame you, really,” she later told him.

“Why’s that?” he asked skeptically.

“Who would be able to resist my charms?”

“Oh, whatever,” he said and rolled his eyes. But she knew that he knew that she was right.

This mess all started at the end of Dumbledore’s funeral. Harry had broken up with her, and she was heartbroken. To have wanted him for so many years and then finally be able to call him hers, just to have him snatched away was perhaps the cruelest thing that could happen to a person. She understood his noble intentions, but it had still hurt like hell. She was actually more than a little glad that he hadn’t come to the Burrow right after summer holidays started, and even glad that he took Ron with him. It gave her plenty of time to think and reflect.

It also gave her time to renew her strategy.

Ginny smiled to herself just thinking about the first — yes, first, and by far not the only — time that she just happened to come out of the bathroom damp and clean-smelling at the exact same time that he was passing by. And it most certainly had not escaped her notice how his tongue positively polished the floor spotless from hanging so low whenever they “met” in the corridor. To be honest, she quite liked controlling his reactions to her and reveled in his blatant physical attraction to her, as vain as it was.

But that was only the first part in her master plan. Amazingly enough, it was Ron who taught her a thing or two about the power of a bloke’s jealousy. Using that knowledge to her best advantage possible, she had put phase two into motion. Ginny smiled when she remembered the resentful look on Harry’s face when she wrote long and covert letters in front of him. Hermione herself had assured her that it would work. And she was right.

In all honesty, she was only writing letters to friends from school and asking about their summers. And it’s not like she actually lied to him; she just didn’t tell him the truth.

But in the end, it was her friendship with him that made the difference. Even when he tried to shut her out, she wouldn’t let him. She was very persistent with him. Instead of meekly stepping aside and letting him control her, Ginny fought him tooth and nail to be together. She remembered the night when he finally relented:

“You know that it’s okay to talk about it, right?” she said to him, startling him from one of his brooding funks. He was sitting alone in the dark in Fred and George’s room, which probably wasn’t a very good idea anyway. Ever since they had arrived, he was moody and distant with everyone. Maybe everybody else could treat him with kid gloves, but there was no damned way that she would do it.

“Talk about what?” he asked in a voice slightly scratchy voice, either from disuse or from attempting to cover up that he had been crying.

Ginny closed the door behind her with a soft click. She quietly walked over, sat down opposite him, and leaned forward so that they were face to face.

“You know,” she said, taking his hand. Even in the dark, she could sense his discomfort from the physical contact. She refused to let go.

“What’s there to say? He’s dead. He left me when I needed him the most. And it was all for nothing. For nothing, Gin! He died for nothing!” He was shaking his head and ran his free hand through his hair. Despite her surprise at his sudden outbreak, she didn’t let it show and just continued to caress his hand.

“Tell me.”

“I can’t,” he said tightly. “You shouldn’t even be here now. You’re one of my biggest weaknesses, and I can’t let him know that. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if something happened to you because of me. Can you understand that, Gin?”

“No,” she said fiercely. “I can’t. All my life people have been trying to tell me what to do because they think they know what’s best for me. But they don’t. Only I know what I want and need, and that’s you.”

“God, Gin, I need you too. More than you could ever know.”

She could read the indecision in his voice and took her chance. “Then I won’t beg for it, and I’ll only ask you once, so be very sure when you answer me.”

Harry gulped audibly but said, “Okay.”

“Will you have me and let me call you mine? Will you be my boyfriend?”

“Ginny, I would love nothing more than that. But there are conditions.”

“What?” she asked wearily. How nice would it be to just have a simple life? And also, how boring?

“I…it can’t be long-term. At least not for now.”

“Why not?” she demanded. “You didn’t have any commitment problems before?”

“No, you don’t understand! I’m…Dumbledore…”

Ginny could see that he was clearly having a hard time with whatever he was trying to say and took pity on him. She got up and joined him on the bed, putting her arm around his shoulders. More than anything, she wanted him to know that she was there for him, no matter what. They were friends first and foremost, and she never wanted that to change.

Next to her, she felt him take a deep, steadying breath. “It’s okay,” she whispered to him.

“It’s just that…okay, me and Dumbledore were working on something very important, and when he died, it was left unfinished. Now it’s up to me to get it done if I ever want to finish this thing with Voldemort.”

“Wow,” she said. “I never knew you had so much on your plate.”

“It’s okay,” he said and shrugged. “I can handle it. I just need to know that you’re safe because I can’t afford any distractions.”

“I won’t be,” she said in his ear, while thoroughly distracting him anyway.


***


“Hermione, you are indeed a very special girl.”

“What?” She looked up, startled from her book. Both Ginny and Hermione were lounging in her room (well Ginny was anyway; she wasn’t sure if Hermione ever actually “lounged”), reading. The major difference was that she was reading Witch Weekly while Hermione was studying from some huge tome that looked mind-numbingly boring. She knew that she could never study like that over the summer.

“Is this some sort of declaration? Because I’ll be honest with you, Ginny. I think I’ve had enough of them for one week.”

Ginny’s eyes widened and she laughed. “Where did that come from?”

Hermione sighed and stuck a bookmark in her book. “Ron,” she said simply.

“Ah. So I see my prat of a brother finally spoke up, eh?”

“Yes,” she said, smiling faintly and with a subtle hidden glow. Ginny recognized it because she saw it within herself.

“I’m glad.”

“Yeah.”

“Because I’m not sure if any of us could take the two of you not together, anymore. Quite frankly, you were driving us barmy with all the bickering.”

“Mean…” Hermione said with a slight pout, though Ginny knew she didn’t take her seriously. It always amused her to see Hermione in a playful mood.

“But true.”

"Well…yes,” she conceded with a smile.

“Hermione!” Harry said as he burst in the room, effectively scaring the two girls senseless.

They both jumped up. “What is it?” Hermione asked frantically.

“It’s time. I’ve been getting twinges in my head, and I know he’s up to something, and I think I know where–” But he stopped suddenly when he noticed that Ginny was in the room. “What are you doing here?”

“I don’t know, Harry,” she said sarcastically. “What am I doing in my own room? And it’s time for what?”

“Never mind that. Where’s Ron? We’ve put this off for as long as possible.”

“He’s in the bathroom,” Hermione said uneasily. “Harry, are you sure–?”

“No, Hermione! We all agreed that when I said it’s time to go, then we leave. And it’s time to go.”

“You’re leaving?” Ginny asked. She felt as if she had just been punched — hard — in the stomach.

“Yes.”

“I’ll go get Ron,” Hermione said quietly and slipped out of the room.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” She felt a tear start to roll down her cheek and stubbornly swiped it away. She absolutely refused to cry right now.

“I’m sorry. I really am. I wanted to tell you, but I just couldn’t. I didn’t want my upcoming departure to be looming over our heads. I just wanted to have some time with you, just one damned summer! Why does he have to take everything away from me?”

“I’m sorry,” she said, genuinely meaning it.

“You shouldn’t be,” he said bitterly. “This is his fault. And I’ve got to stop this. You didn’t understand before, but do you understand now?”

“Yes. I understand. I wish you could tell me more, but I understand. God, Harry, I love you.”

Ginny threw herself into his arms and desperately attacked his lips with hers.

“I love you too,” he said hard on her mouth. “I love you so much.” Harry placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her away. “But I can’t ask you to wait for me, you know.”

“What do you mean? Don’t be ridiculous. Of course I’ll wait for you.”

Harry shook his head fervently. “I have no idea when, or if, I’ll be back.”

“Don’t say that!”

“I’ve got to be realistic, Gin! There’s no denying how dangerous my mission is, and I don’t want you pining for me your whole life.”

“I don’t pine, Potter,” she said fiercely, poking him hard in the chest. Not anymore, at least. “And I won’t need to. I have faith that you’ll do what you need to do and still come back to me.”

“You know I’ll do everything in my power to come back to you, right?” Harry pulled her against him while absently rubbing the spot she had poked.

“Of course I do,” she said, muffled against his chest. She had to admit, it did feel nice and comforting to just be in his arms. She felt very feminine and loved, but not helpless.

“But I won’t make any promises that I’m not certain I’ll be able to keep.”

“Then let me make all the promises,” she insisted. “I promise that I’ll be waiting for you when you get back, whenever that may be. And I’ll love you just as much as I do now.”

“I don’t know what to say…”

“You don’t have to say anything at all. Your heart says it for you.”

They stood in silence for a little while more. Ginny was determined to savor those last few moments as best she could. Finally, there was a quiet knock on the door, and Ron and Hermione poked their heads in.

“Harry, if we’re going, then we have to go now,” Hermione said.

“I know,” he said gruffly.

Ginny came forward and enveloped Hermione in a hug. She would miss her very much. She was like the sister that Ginny had grown up without.

Stepping away from Hermione, she noticed Ron standing in the doorway and watching the two of them. By this point, the tears were running profusely down Ginny’s face. It had only just struck her that Ron was a man now. Ron, the most temperamental, self-conscious prat of all her brothers. The one she had spent the most time with growing up, the one always ready to defend her with neighborhood bullies (and sometimes vice-versa). The one closest to her in age and the one she would miss the most. Her brother, Ron, the one who would make a difference. Ginny felt a rush of pride for her brother that she had rarely ever felt before.

She looked into his eyes and whispered, “I love you, Ron.”

Years of hurt, revenge, and neglect were erased with those simple words.

“I love you too, Ginny.” He caught her in an one-armed hug, and they quickly pulled away, not used to such open affection. “Now let’s go before I puke from all this lovey-dovey nonsense, please?”

“Oh honestly, Ron! You’re such an insensitive boor!” Hermione scolded in a hushed tone as she ushered him out the door. She knew that they couldn’t risk waking anybody up for fear of getting caught and questioned. Ginny inwardly gulped at having to face her Mum’s reaction all alone.

Harry was the last one to the door. He came forward and gave her a quick kiss on the mouth before vanishing out the door without exchanging any more words. Ginny knew it was for the best.

She took a minute or two to compose herself before she went to the window and looked out. The three of them made their way down the road and past the Anti-Apparation ward. Ron and Hermione disappeared on the spot while Harry gave one last look at the house. Their gazes sought each other out for one brief instant before he too Disapparated without a backward glance.

Ginny suddenly realized that that may have been the last time she would ever see her boyfriend, her brother, or best friend again. She knew that despite everyone’s best intentions, one or all of them might not make it out of this alive. The three people that meant the most to her in the world had left her almost without a trace. There was nothing she could do to change that. The very thought drove her to fling herself onto the bed in a fit of despair.

And for the first time in many years, Ginny sobbed.
Reviews 0
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear