Search:

SIYE Time:6:09 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Meaning of One, Part One: Stone and Fire
By Sovran

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Humor
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 1026
Summary: If two people are deliberately created to be together, how will the challenges in a world of magic and Dark Lords be dealt with? What would it mean for two people to truly become one? A re-imagination of first year.
Hitcount: Story Total: 548291; Chapter Total: 23368
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Author’s Notes: Thanks, as always, to moshpit, Jonathan Avery, regdc, Chreechree, and Sherylyn for their beta assistance.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny pressed her left palm against the pendant on her right wrist, and they both deliberately revisited the vivid memory of Professor McGonagall’s apology to them from the night before. The black and white disc warmed almost immediately, and Ginny raised it to her mouth.

“When you’ve finished eating, would you be able to come and see us?” she whispered. “Everything’s fine, but we’d really like to talk to you before dinner’s over.”

Madam Pomfrey delivered their meals a few minutes later, and Harry and Ginny ate as quickly as they could. Not long after their dishes had been removed, the door opened, and Professor McGonagall strode into the room.

“Good evening, Harry and Ginny. What may I do for you?”

“Professor,” Ginny began, “we were wondering. What are the rules for adding reserve players to the Quidditch team?”

To their delight, McGonagall’s face lit up. They had never seen her eyes become so bright, and excitement radiated from her in nearly palpable waves. “As I recall, you caught that key, didn’t you, Ginny?”

Ginny nodded, a huge grin stretching her face.

The professor clapped her hands together in front of her. “Excellent! Reserves may be added up to and including the day before the game. The student must be a member of Gryffindor House, in good academic standing, and the addition must be recorded on the roster, but no other restrictions apply.”

“Do you keep that roster, Professor?” Ginny asked.

“As it so happens, I do,” she replied. “Would you like me to add your name to it?”

“Please do,” Ginny said, her smile broadening. “May I tell the team at practice tonight?”

“Yes, you may. A broom is no problem, of course, as ours is assigned to the Seeker, but you will need a uniform.”

“I can wear Harry’s,” Ginny offered. “It’s only an inch or so too long, and that won’t matter in the air.”

“Excellent,” McGonagall said. She glanced down at her watch. “You have twenty minutes before practice, and you’ll be on the roster by the time you get there. If Mr. Wood offers any sort of objection, feel free to summon me. I look forward to seeing you on the pitch tomorrow.”

Still smiling, the professor turned and left the room.

You need to change clothes, Harry said. And you should get my gloves from my trunk.

Ginny’s hands were already busy braiding her hair into a single, thick plait. When she finished, she found an elastic in her bag and tied the braid off tightly. Pausing for a split second, she swooped down and kissed Harry’s cheek quickly, and then she prepared to transport directly to her bed.

You should walk. There’s enough time, and you never know when someone might be in there.

Oh, alright
, Ginny said, fighting a giddy laugh. She left the hospital wing at a jog and climbed the stairs to Gryffindor Tower. The common room and her dormitory were both empty, and she quickly changed into her trainers, jeans, and a jumper. Then she climbed into her bed and pulled the curtains closed. A moment later, she appeared in Harry’s bed, and they listened carefully to determine whether or not any of his roommates were there. Hearing nothing, Ginny moved to his trunk and found Charlie’s old Seeker’s gloves inside.

She pushed them into the back pockets of her jeans and went back to her room. How much time do I have?

Harry awkwardly raised his wrist to his face. Five minutes.

Perfect.


She darted back down to the common room and out of the tower. She had hoped to be able to transport her way down the stairs, but other students were already climbing them on their way back from dinner. Instead, Ginny ran down the steps as quickly as she could, dodging her classmates, until she reached the entrance hall. She pulled open the doors and hurtled across the grounds to the broom shed. The Nimbus waited in its usual place, and she held it carefully away from the ground as she began to run to the pitch.

You have heard of flying, haven’t you? Harry teased gently.

Oh, right.

Ginny mounted the broom and flew towards the pitch. Rather than going through the pedestrian tunnel, she ascended to soar over the side of the pitch before diving down to the grass inside. Her timing was almost perfect, as the rest of the team was just gathering at the side of the pitch with their brooms in their hands.

Oliver Wood was facing the other players with his back partially towards Ginny and with the crate of Quidditch balls at his feet. The others noticed her arrival first, and the twins’ faces broke into gleeful grins. As she reached the ground, Oliver turned and watched her land.

“I heard that you’re in need of a Seeker,” Ginny said, letting the Nimbus rest in the crook of her arm as she pulled on Harry’s gloves.

Wood looked at her for a moment and then turned back to her brothers. “Can she do it?”

They nodded seriously in spite of their smiles. “Just try to stop her,” George said.

Oliver waved her into line with the rest of the team. “We’ll have to talk to McGonagall right after practice,” he said.

“I spoke to her a few minutes ago,” Ginny said. “I’m already on the roster as a Reserve Seeker.”

“Well done. I appreciate someone who shows some initiative,” Oliver said. He paused, and a grim smile spread across his face. Harry and Ginny were familiar with the gleam in his eyes, but they had never seen it look quite so maniacal. “Alright, you lot!” he shouted. “We’ve got a chance now, and WE’RE GOING TO TAKE IT!”

Wood flipped open the crate at his feet. The two Bludgers soared into the air as he tossed the Quaffle to Angelina. “Chasers, Beaters, get up there!”

The twins saluted Ginny and Oliver with their customized red Beater’s bats before taking off into the air after the Bludgers. The three Chasers took flight at the same time, already passing the Quaffle back and forth between them as they ascended. Wood straightened from the crate with the Snitch held tightly between his thumb and first two fingers.

“Alright, Ginny,” he said with quiet intensity. “You catch this. When you’ve done that, bring it to me, and you can start again. Got it?”

“Yes, Captain,” Ginny said, nodding and trying to contain her bubbling excitement.

Harry and Ginny saw Oliver’s arm flex, and Ginny raised her arm just as Wood released his grip on the Snitch. In a flash, she snatched it out of the air when it was only inches from his hand. Holding it out to him, she grinned. “Here you are, Captain.”

Oliver took the golden ball from her hand, grinning again. “You’ll do.” He reared back and threw the Snitch high above them, and it zipped off into the sky. Ginny took off after it, and as she gained altitude she heard Oliver shout joyfully. “Two of them! Thank Merlin, there’s two of them!”

Still grinning, Ginny soared once around the pitch for the sheer joy of it. Even for Harry, still lying in the hospital wing and ignoring his own surroundings, it was a tremendous relief to be flying again. Looking down, Ginny spotted her friend and brother in the stands. Ron cheered as Hermione beamed and clapped, her book forgotten on the bench beside her.

With nothing to distract their focus, Harry and Ginny were able to search diligently and thoroughly for the Snitch. Occasionally, they looked down at the rest of the team, and they thought that the older students were playing with as much enthusiasm and skill as they ever had. Ginny hoped, privately, that her presence helped to revitalize the team.

Over the next two hours, Ginny caught the Snitch four times. As they expected, Ginny had a bit more trouble tracking the Snitch from across the pitch than Harry did. They were annoyed that they lost the Snitch a few times, but Ginny’s size and speed made up for those missed opportunities. She made one catch in particular that they were certain Harry would have missed or taken a bit longer to make.

Just after sunset, when Ginny handed Oliver the Snitch from her most recent catch, he flew to the ground and signalled for everyone to land. The twins brought the Bludgers in and tied them into the crate, and Katie dropped the Quaffle into its place. Oliver himself secured the Snitch in the tiny cage made to hold it.

“Alright, people. We looked pretty good out there today, but we need to make sure we keep that edge for tomorrow. The game’s at ten o’clock, so I want you all dressed and ready to go in the locker room by nine thirty. Ginny, did Professor McGonagall find you a uniform?”

She nodded. “Harry’s letting me borrow his.”

“Good.” Oliver paused and scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Let’s all keep our mouths shut about Ginny. If Ravenclaw doesn’t know we have a Seeker, we may gain an edge when she’s there and ready to play. Now you lot get cleaned up and head back to the castle. Get a good night’s sleep, and I expect you to eat a good breakfast, but don’t stuff yourselves. Get back to the tower, relax for a bit, and be in bed by ten thirty. And remember, we’re Gryffindor, and we’re coming out with a roar!”

The team walked back towards the locker room, and Ginny squeezed in between the twins. “Could one of you get Harry’s uniform for me so I can put it in a locker for tomorrow?”

“Sure thing, Ginny,” Fred said as they reached the doors. “Wait here a sec.”

A moment later, Fred emerged with Harry’s uniform over his arm. “Great flying tonight. Keep it up, and the game tomorrow will be a walkover.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Fred. We can all hope, eh?”

Ginny walked into the girls’ locker-room and immediately realised her dilemma. At least one of her team-mates was in the shower, from the sounds, and two of them were talking loudly. Seeing no alternative, she lowered her eyes to the ground and stepped further into the room.

Count something, Harry, she said. He could see very little, so he began counting the potions arrayed along a nearby shelf and then trying elaborate schemes to guess how much each one might weigh or how much liquid they each contained.

Katie Bell sat on a bench in her flying clothes, brushing out her honey-coloured hair. Alicia Spinnet was leaning against the locker bearing her name, holding her broom and apparently waiting for the other two girls as she chatted with Katie. Ginny assumed that Angelina Johnson was in the shower, and she sighed in relief that none of the girls were changing. It had been so long since she and Harry had deliberately separated their senses that they were no longer certain that it could be completely effective.

Most of the lockers in the room did not have a name attached, so Ginny picked the one nearest the door and pulled it open. She hung Harry’s uniform on the hook provided and placed his gloves on the shelf before settling the Nimbus into the stand inside the locker. Officially, the Quidditch players stored their brooms there on the night before a game to avoid an extra trip to the broom shed the following morning. Unofficially, since the team rooms were barred to non-House members, it ensured that no one tried to tamper with the brooms before a game. When she closed the locker door, Katie and Alicia looked up from their conversation.

“Hey, Ginny,” Alicia said. “I’m glad you came out tonight. Ravenclaw would have stomped us without a Seeker.”

Ginny smiled, pleased with the older girl’s words but still eager to leave the room before Angelina finished her shower. “Thanks. I’ve been to all the practices and flown on Harry’s broom, so I figured I had as good a chance as anyone of catching a Snitch.”

As good a chance? Harry scoffed faintly while trying to guess at the colours different combinations of potions might make. You were brilliant.

Katie, who was the quietest of the three Chasers, put away her brush and looked up at Ginny. “Did a good job of it, too.”

“When are you going to show us those moves the twins told us about?” Alicia asked.

“Oh, err…” Ginny had completely forgotten about that promise. “Next term, maybe? They’re nothing special, really. Just some fun things to do when you’re the only Chaser in a backyard game.”

“You never know when something like that might come in handy,” Angelina called from the shower stall. “Anything that lets me get one past Oliver is great in my book.”

“I’ll be glad to do it, then,” Ginny replied, raising her voice slightly over the running water. “Just don’t expect miracles.”

Alicia snorted. “Yeah, and getting the Quaffle past Oliver is a minor miracle of its own.”

The water stopped, and Ginny started for the door. “Well, I told Ron and Hermione I’d walk back up to the castle with them. See you all tomorrow morning.”

“‘Night, Ginny,” Alicia said. “It’ll be nice to outnumber the boys for once.”

“Goodnight, Ginny,” Katie echoed. “Good to have you.”

“Don’t let Fred tease you too much in the morning,” Angelina called. “If he messes up our new Reserve Seeker, I’ll beat him bloody.”

Ginny giggled. “I’ll tell him you said that. Goodnight.”

She had fabricated the story about meeting Ron and Hermione outside the changing rooms, but they actually were there waiting for her. Together, the three first years started up the hill towards the castle.

“That was really excellent flying, Ginny,” Hermione said.

“Thanks. It was great to be able to fly that much for a change, especially without worrying about what Harry was seeing at the same time.”

“How much did it help you, having been there for his games?” the brunette asked curiously.

They thought about it for a moment. “Well, I knew how the Snitch would move from seeing it before, and we were able to judge the distances pretty well. We think that maybe Harry’s just better at spotting it and keeping track of it.”

“Do you suppose you need glasses?” Hermione asked.

Ginny blinked in surprise. “I hadn’t thought of that,” she admitted. Then, after a moment, she shook her head. “I don’t think so. I could see the Snitch from just as far away as Harry can with his glasses. He’s just better at spotting it among all the other things he can see.”

“Hmm,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “That’s really interesting.”

“So long as she catches the Snitch, it doesn’t matter too much,” Ron said.

“Not for Quidditch, perhaps, but it’s still interesting.”

The twins caught up with them, and all five students returned to the hospital wing to gather around Harry’s bed. Ginny perched on the edge of the mattress to his right, and Harry tilted his head as far as he could to see all of the others, who sat in a line along his left side.

“You…” Fred began and then trailed off. “I was going to say ‘you should have seen her’, Harry, but that probably would have been the stupidest thing I’d said all week.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, Fred,” Ginny said. “I’m sure you’ve said loads of stupider things this week.”

“You hear this, George?” Fred asked, shaking his head. “One session of absolutely breath-taking flying, and now she thinks she can mouth off at her big brother.”

“She’s always mouthed off at us, Fred.”

“Well, yes, but now she thinks she can get away with it.”

“Can she, then?” George asked.

Fred shrugged. “Probably. But that’s not the point.”

“What do you say, Ron?” Harry asked. “Think we’ll win tomorrow?”

Ron’s face took on the serious expression that he always adopted when discussing Quidditch. “If the team flies like they did tonight, it will at least be a really good Quaffle game. Ravenclaw’s Seeker is good, but I think Ginny can beat him unless he just gets lucky. So I’d say our chances are decent, and I suspect we have a slight advantage over them in terms of overall talent.”

“The points’ll be harder, though,” George said. “Even if we beat Ravenclaw, we can lose the Quidditch Cup to Slytherin if our score isn’t high enough.”

The Quidditch Cup was awarded to the team with the highest point total, regardless of wins or losses. Slytherin’s performance against Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw had given them an impressive total score for the season, in spite of their loss to Gryffindor.

“You don’t need terribly many,” Hermione pointed out. “Assuming Ginny catches the Snitch, you only need four goals to get ahead of Slytherin.”

“Yeah, but the Birds’ Keeper is nearly as good as Wood, and their Chasers are really impressive,” Fred said. “If we let them get enough goals, they could conceivably win the game and the Cup, even if Ginny gets the Snitch. We’re tied with them in Quidditch points right now, after all.”

Hermione nodded. “That’s true. They’d need at least one hundred sixty points to do that, and their Chasers did get them nearly that many against Slytherin.”

“Slytherin’s Keeper is absolute rubbish,” Ron said confidently. “It’s hard to picture Wood letting sixteen goals get past, especially if our Chasers are also scoring.”

“Oliver allowed eleven goals against Slytherin,” Hermione countered. “Some were while Harry was in trouble, but he still allowed them.”

Ginny and Harry could no longer contain themselves, and they burst into laughter. “Hermione,” Harry said through his mirth, “you do realise you’re debating Quidditch with Ron and the twins?”

She blinked a few times, looking vaguely affronted. “Well,” she said at last, “the maths are interesting enough. It’s not as though I’m comparing oddly-named Chaser formations or anything.”

“Ah,” Ginny said, “but you do know that there are oddly-named Chaser formations, don’t you?”

“Err… well, yes, I suppose I do.”

“We’ll finish converting her in time. Have no fear,” George declared.

The six friends spent the rest of the evening sharing Harry’s sweets and making predictions about the Quidditch Cup and the House Cup. They generally agreed that Gryffindor’s chances for the Quidditch Cup were good, but they knew that their house would never be able to overcome Slytherin’s lead for the House Cup. Still, they enjoyed debating the various possibilities, aided by Hermione’s memory and quick calculations.

At nine thirty, Ginny walked back to Gryffindor Tower with the others. Because she was no longer a patient in the hospital wing, she needed to seem to go to bed in her own dormitory. She also wanted to shower and prepare for bed in the more familiar facilities.

While she was gone, Madam Pomfrey expanded the curtains and moved Ginny’s bed back against Harry’s. By ten o’clock, Ginny was clean and her hair was dry. She casually said goodnight to her roommates. A few minutes later, when her dormitory had become silent, she made a quick detour to Harry’s bed and then transported herself to the hospital wing.

I’ve got the proper towel this time, she commented. The other one doesn’t smell right.

Harry twisted his arm to produce Bun-bun, and Ginny curled up against him as she had the night before. After the evening’s activities, she was exhausted, and she fell asleep easily. Within a few minutes, she was breathing rhythmically against Harry’s elbow. Harry himself was restless and wide awake after all the rest he had unwillingly taken, so Ginny kept him company in his head until midnight, when Madam Pomfrey provided him with another full dose of Dreamless Sleep Potion.

Ginny woke suddenly the next morning, propelled by her excitement about the day’s match. Harry would sleep for another half an hour, so she transported back to her bed in the girls’ dormitory. Hermione’s curtains were open and her bed neatly made, but Ginny could hear that Lavender and Parvati were still asleep. Quietly, Ginny gathered a set of weekend clothes from her trunk and went into the lavatory. She showered again to help her feel fresh and alert, and then she took the time to braid her hair tightly. When she was ready, she glanced into the mirror, and even she had to admit that her expression glowed with anticipation.

This is going to be fun!

Harry smiled. I’m really glad you get to play, Ginny. You love it. We love it.

I like flying with you,
she replied, but somehow it’s not quite the same.

I know.


Ginny went downstairs and found Hermione fully dressed and sitting on a sofa with a library book open in her lap. “Morning, Hermione,” Ginny said brightly as she bounced down the last few stairs.

“Good morning,” Hermione replied. “Are you having breakfast with the rest of us? I was just thinking about going to the Great Hall.”

“No, thank you,” Ginny said, perching on the arm of the sofa. “Harry’s going to wake up soon, and I’d like to have breakfast with him.”

The older girl nodded. “Alright. I’d go up with you, but visiting hours haven’t begun yet.”

“That’s okay. We can all go up there after we win the match.”

Hermione grinned. “Confident, then?”

“Yep! Why not?” Ginny asked. “We did really well at practice last night, and being gloomy wouldn’t help us fly any better today.”

Her friend leaned closer and lowered her voice. “Which ‘we’ and ‘us’ are you referring to?”

Ginny blinked. “Oh. Both, I suppose.”

Harry emerged from his potion-induced slumber, and he turned his head to the other side, seeking some relief from the ache in his neck, as he blinked slowly.

“Harry’s awake,” Ginny whispered. “Want to walk down the stairs with me?”

“Sure,” Hermione replied before dropping her voice to a whisper. “Good morning, Harry.”

That’s nice of her. She always remembers, and good morning to her, too. Harry was amused that Hermione never seemed to think about the odd situation. She just accepted it completely.

“He says hello to you, too,” Ginny whispered back.

Hermione closed her book with a smile after marking her page, and then she went up to the dormitory to put it away.

The two girls went down the stairs to the ground floor, talking lightly about the upcoming match and speculating about when Ron might finally wake up. As they walked, Madam Pomfrey helped Harry to get out of bed for his trip to the lavatory. When he returned, Harry sat on his bed, and Madam Pomfrey put two breakfast trays on the table nearby. Harry thanked her and waited for Ginny to arrive.

Ginny paused in her conversation with Hermione. Go ahead, Harry.

It’s not polite.


She reflexively rolled her eyes at his refusal. Be serious. How could it possibly offend me?

Dunno. But you’ll only be a few minutes, and I’m in no hurry.


Ginny smiled unconsciously. Thanks, Harry. You’re such a nice boy.

“You know, Ginny, you really ought to be more careful with your expressions in public,” Hermione offered quietly. Ginny looked over at her, grinned, and shrugged slightly. When the girls reached the entrance hall, Hermione squeezed Ginny’s hand and turned towards the Great Hall. “Good luck, Ginny,” she said. “I’ll see you after the match.”

“Thanks, Hermione,” Ginny replied. She waved and then picked up her pace, almost jogging to the hospital wing as she sought an outlet for her excess energy. When she arrived, she leapt onto the bed next to Harry and landed with a cheerful bounce.

Harry could not help grinning. If it makes you this happy, you can play all the time next year.

Ginny gave him a flat look, though her smile did not fade.

Yeah, okay, he said. But I had to offer.

Ginny impulsively leaned over and kissed his cheek. I know you did, and I do appreciate it, even if you are being silly.

Harry smiled and did not try to help this time as Ginny handed him his breakfast tray and claimed her own. They ate more quickly than they usually did, but Ginny was careful not to wolf down her food.

At least we can eat before a match now, Harry said.

Yeah. I’m a bit nervous, I suppose, but we’ve done it enough that I know what’s coming. I’m mostly just excited.

You’ll be great, Ginny. We’re sure of it.


When they finished their breakfasts, they still had almost thirty minutes before Ginny needed to leave for the Quidditch pitch. Madam Pomfrey helped Harry back onto his stomach, and Ginny sat next to him on the bed and rubbed his neck gently. They sat in silence with their eyes closed and spent the remaining time carefully recalling each time Harry had caught a Snitch, whether at practice, in a game, or on Boxing Day at The Burrow. They were confident, but they agreed that it could not hurt to have all of the Snitch’s tricks fresh in their minds.

At nine o’clock, Ginny gave Harry’s hand a final squeeze and left to get ready for the match. When she stepped into the entrance hall, she noticed Professor Snape standing near the doors to the Great Hall with his hands tucked into his sleeves and with a look of profound irritation on his face. Hoping to avoid his brooding gaze, Ginny quickened her steps towards the main doors.

“Miss Weasley,” he called from behind her in a clipped voice.

Reluctantly, Ginny turned around. Snape was already walking towards her, and he stopped when he was close enough to loom over her. She schooled her expression into neutrality. “Yes, Professor?”

“I have heard about your recent… escapades. It does not surprise me that the four of you did something so unutterably foolish. That is, after all, the Gryffindor way.” As usual, the Head of Slytherin spoke slowly, as though he was choosing each word to convey his distaste as clearly as possible.

Ginny stared defiantly up at the man, refusing to respond in the slightest way, even though she and Harry were seething.

“Perhaps it is fitting that Mr. Potter is being forced to recognise the consequences of his own stupidity,” Snape drawled. “Tell me… how is our young hero today?” He said the last words with an audible sneer.

Happy to be well away from you, thanks very much, Harry retorted.

Snape stared down at Ginny, his black eyes boring into hers. She felt uneasy for a moment, and she was reminded of their first Potions lesson, when the professor had glared at her and Harry in the same way.

Ginny set aside her unease and forced herself to smile brightly. “He’s going to be just fine, Professor,” she replied. “Thank you very much for asking.”

Snape blinked rapidly for a moment, and then his lip curled even more as his nostrils flared. “I am sure that you and many other children are pleased by that. After all, it would not do for him to be inconvenienced at all, would it? Regardless of any considerations of justice.”

Ginny and Harry were more than familiar with his veiled insults. “I suppose not,” she said as calmly as she could manage. “May I go now?”

Snape looked as though he smelled something rotten, but he nodded sharply. As Ginny turned back towards the doors, he spoke again from behind her, in a loud voice. “Five points from Gryffindor, Miss Weasley, for your cheek.”

Slimy git! Harry said as Ginny escaped to the grounds.

The June morning was still and warm. She walked down to the pitch as just one member of a trickle of students who wanted to be early. The short walk gave them time to put the encounter with Snape behind them. He seemed to rejoice in regularly finding new ways to express his malevolence, and they realised that they should have expected to hear from him at some point. Today, of all days, they would not let Snape ruin their mood, and the excitement of the Quidditch match returned to the forefront of their emotions.

No one seemed to notice when Ginny ducked into the outer entrance to the Gryffindor changing rooms. She slipped into the girls’ locker room, relieved to find it empty, and quickly pulled on Harry’s red Quidditch robes and his Seeker’s gloves. Then, with nothing else left to do, she picked up the Nimbus and headed for the small common area to wait for the rest of the team. It was, she decided, indescribably different to experience pre-game excitement and jitters personally rather than through Harry.

She entered the room, which contained only a planning board and two long benches. The door to the pitch was closed, but the murmur of voices from the stands filled the room. She had expected to be alone in the room, but Oliver was already there, using his wand to draw moving diagrams on the board. He looked up from his work when Ginny entered, but he only nodded briskly at her before turning back to his planning. She perched on the end of one of the benches and tried to make sense of Wood’s complicated diagrams.

A few minutes later, the three Chasers entered from the locker room in a group. They filled the rest of Ginny’s bench, with Angelina sitting next to her.

“Next time you play in a match,” the dark-skinned girl said, “you can find us in the Great Hall for breakfast if you want. We girls always eat together and walk to the pitch together before a match, and you’re welcome to join us.”

“Thanks, I’ll remember that,” Ginny replied. “I hope it won’t happen, though. It’s Harry’s spot, not mine. I wanted to eat with him this morning so we could review how the Snitch behaves.”

“Oh, good idea. And, well, yeah,” Angelina said, nodding, “we don’t want anything to happen to Harry, but now you know, just in case it ever comes up again.”

“She’ll still be a reserve next year,” Oliver said without turning away from his scribbling. “Harry’s our Seeker, but we’re not going to give up Ginny now that we’ve got her on-board.”

Alicia leaned in front of Angelina to whisper to Ginny. “As if we didn’t know that already!”

Ginny grinned, stifling a giggle as she nodded. Harry merely agreed that it was an obvious statement.

Two minutes before Wood’s deadline, Fred and George strolled into the room, casually flipping their Beater’s bats in their hands. As they sat on the other bench, Oliver turned and nodded to acknowledge their arrival. Then he turned back to the board, erased his drawing with a swipe of his wand, and started another one.

Part of the team’s ritual was to sit and talk together before the match while their Captain remained focused on his planning. For the next twenty minutes, the six students exchanged stories, joked, and gently teased each other. By unspoken consent, they never said anything about Quidditch during this time, and they made sure that everyone was included in the conversation. In the past, Harry had mostly listened and offered a few simple tales of the twins’ childhood exploits, claiming to have heard them from Ron and Ginny. With Ginny herself present, they were free to tell much more detailed stories, which led to a lot more hilarity overall. Angelina seemed particularly amused to hear that Fred and George had, at their own insistence, run around The Burrow starkers until they were nearly eight years old.

Ginny could tell that her brothers were embarrassed, but they shrugged it off with their usual aplomb. “It was hot,” Fred explained as if it were the most natural thing in the world. George winked approvingly at Ginny when he thought the other girls were not looking. Harry spent as much time laughing with Ginny as she did tormenting the twins.

At nine fifty, Oliver turned away from the board and cleared his throat. Instantly, the other players fell silent. “Alright, lads and lasses,” he said in a strong, energetic voice. “This is the last game of the year, and we have a chance at the Quidditch Cup. We’re flying well, and they don’t know we have a Seeker. That means we have the advantage, and we will use it! Don’t get too confident. Fly hard, fly fast, and fly straight.”

He locked his gaze onto the three older girls. “Chasers, the magic number is four.” Oliver paused dramatically and held up four fingers, slowly moving his hand in front of each of them. “We need four goals and the Snitch to beat Slytherin for the Quidditch Cup.” He leaned down towards the Chasers. “Can you give me four goals?”

“Aye, Captain,” Angelina said. “We’ll start with four and then give you another four or more.”

Wood nodded sharply and turned to Fred and George. “Fred, George, the Ravenclaw Beaters aren’t as good as you are, but they’re not stupid. The minute they see Ginny and how small she is, they’re going to start focusing the Bludgers on her. Are you going to let them knock your sister out of the air?”

Ginny could see tension erupt in her brothers’ bodies, and their faces became almost frightening. “Not bloody likely!” they shouted together, their bats making a firm smacking sound in their open palms.

“Good lads!” Wood replied in his booming voice. Then he squatted in front of Ginny and looked into her eyes as he spoke more quietly, but with even more intensity. “Ginny, you’re going to be the fastest thing on the pitch. Perhaps the fastest thing that’s been on that pitch in centuries. I need you to use that speed to get me the Snitch, but not until we’ve scored at least four goals. Without both, we’ve got no chance for the Cup. I know that’s a big load for someone with small shoulders, but if you fly anything like you did yesterday, I know you can do it. So go out there and fly. Fly for me. Fly for your brothers. Fly for your House. Fly for Harry. Catch him a Snitch. Can you do that?”

Though she that knew that his pleas were not quite accurate, Ginny was both moved and energized by Wood’s speech. She smiled as the twins’ words came back to her. “Try to stop me,” she stated, grinning hungrily. Harry was almost ready to crawl out of bed and play himself, and only his fear of Ginny’s wrath stopped him from truly considering it.

Wood cocked his head intently and leaned closer to her. “They will, Ginny. They’ll try their hardest to stop you. Can you do it anyway?”

“Yes, Captain. I’ll bring you that Snitch.”

“Good,” Wood said. He rose to his feet and surveyed the entire team. “We have a chance to bring the Quidditch Cup back to our house,” he shouted. “Are we going to do it?”

“Yes!” they chorused in reply.

“Who are we?” Wood bellowed.

“GRYFFINDOR!” the team shouted as they surged off of the benches.

“What’ll we do?”

“WIN!”

“Or?”

“DIE TRYING!”

“Let’s get out there!”

All things considered, I really wish he’d picked a different motto now, Harry said.

The team lined up at the door to the pitch, and Ginny could hear Lee Jordan announcing the Ravenclaw team. When he was finished, Wood pulled the door open and mounted his broom in anticipation.

Lee’s voice was now perfectly audible. “And now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gryffindor! Captain and Keeper, fifth-year Oliver Wood!”

Oliver flew through the doorway and onto the pitch as the Gryffindors in the audience applauded.

“Chasers! Second-year Katie Bell, third-year Angelina Johnson, and third-year Alicia Spinnet! Three cheers for the lovely ladies of the Lions!”

The three girls flew out as their names were called, and Ginny saw Alicia wave cheerfully at Lee as she rose into the air.

“Gryffindor’s Beaters! The ever-fabulous and unstoppable twins, third-years Fred and George Weasley!”

Louder cheers and whistles came from the crowd as Ginny’s brothers flew onto the pitch side by side with their bats held over their heads. Once they were in the air, the Gryffindors’ cheering rose to a peak and then gradually faded in expectation of the start of the game. As the seconds ticked by, the students in the stands began to murmur in confusion.

Lee just can’t let the chance go by, can he? Ginny asked as she mounted the Nimbus.

You can’t tell me you’re surprised.

If he calls me Ginevra, I’ll ram him.


At last, Lee’s voice boomed across the pitch, louder even than before. “And last but not least, Gryffindor’s new Reserve Seeker!” A hush fell over the crowd. Even most of the Gryffindors did not know that Ginny had joined the team. “Flying today under Harry Potter’s number seven, in his honour. The youngest player ever to play in an official Quidditch match at Hogwarts! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gryffindor’s unbelievable secret weapon… Ginny Weasley!”

I can’t possibly live up to that introduction.

Hush. You already did.


Ginny flew straight out onto the pitch, pushing the Nimbus for its maximum acceleration as she skimmed across the grass. The crowd, starting with the Gryffindors, began to react to the surprise of her presence. When she reached the exact centre of the pitch, she pulled up sharply and shot straight into the air. The planned manoeuvre elicited loud cheers from the Gryffindors and shouts of surprise from most members of the other houses. When she was nearly a hundred feet above the stands, Ginny levelled off and began flying in easy circles around the perimeter of the pitch.

On the grass below, the Captains shook hands, and then the players took up their starting positions. Ravenclaw’s Seeker was a lanky sixth-year boy who was circling the pitch just above the level of the goal hoops. The Chasers faced off in the centre of the field, the Beaters waited to either side, and the Keepers hovered in front of their hoops.

Madam Hooch released the Snitch and the Bludgers. Ginny tracked the Snitch as it rose into the air, but before it reached normal playing altitude, it completely vanished. A moment later, Hooch blew her whistle, and the game began in earnest.

Harry closed his eyes in the hospital wing and focused on Ginny’s search for the Snitch. He could feel his own heart beating faster as the game got underway. They began to fly in quick loops around the entire pitch, maintaining their momentum in case they needed to manoeuvre quickly.

Lee’s commentary drifted up to them from below, and it quickly became apparent that Ravenclaw’s Chasers were every bit as talented as the Gryffindors had expected. In the first ten minutes of the game, they scored twice before Oliver began to adapt to their tactics.

The Gryffindor girls flew well when they gained possession of the Quaffle, but they had to work constantly to keep the older and larger Ravenclaw fliers from stealing the Quaffle. However, when they did get into scoring range, they found that practicing against Wood paid off handsomely. Ravenclaw’s Keeper was not as responsive as his counterpart, and Alicia scored on Gryffindor’s first attempt.

“Spinnet puts one through the hoops!” Lee announced. “Perhaps Pitt was watching her instead of the Quaffle, eh?”

“Jordan!” McGonagall snapped.

“Sorry, Professor,” he replied. “Maybe that only happens to me.”

At first, Fred and George seemed primarily concerned with keeping the Bludgers away from Ginny. The Ravenclaw Beaters sent the heavy iron balls towards her regularly, and the twins flew interference. As the score began to increase in Ravenclaw’s favour, however, the two boys recognised their error.

Ginny watched as, with no words exchanged, her brothers divided their duties. George stayed above the action and shadowed Ginny’s flight in smaller loops. Meanwhile, Fred worked his way into the shifting mass of Chasers and Beaters on the main level of play. Each time one of Ravenclaw’s Beaters sent a Bludger at Ginny, George intercepted it and sent it whizzing towards his brother. Fred then redirected it towards a member of the opposing team, and the cycle began again.

After forty minutes of play, the score was 40-20 in Ravenclaw’s favour, and Ginny had not caught even a glimpse of the Golden Snitch. Periodically, she had dipped lower into the stadium and scanned the groove where the Snitch had hidden during the last game, but it had not chosen that tactic a second time.

Gryffindor’s Chasers seemed to find new resolve as the game continued. They kept possession of the Quaffle more consistently and worked aggressively to get the last two goals they had promised to Wood. In another fifteen minutes, they scored those goals, but they did not stop pushing for more. The gap slowly narrowed, and after an hour and a half, the score stood at 50-40 with Ravenclaw still in the lead. Gryffindor had the points they needed, so all Ginny had to do was find and catch the Snitch.

Early in the game, when their Chasers had been widening the gap in the score, the Ravenclaw Beaters had seemed content to continue their pattern of interfering with both Ginny and the other Gryffindor players. Fred and George had switched roles twice, and no Bludgers had come anywhere near Ginny’s path. When the score became closer and it was clear that the Snitch would probably decide the game, the two opposing Beaters held a quick conference in midair. When they entered the action of the game again, they seemed to ignore Ginny. She thought that was odd, but she did not let it distract her from her mission.

Ginny flew in different patterns, constantly changing direction to maximize her chance of spotting the elusive golden ball. She varied her altitude as she flew in serpentine paths across the length of the pitch, and she regularly turned sharply to examine a new area of the pitch.

It has to be here somewhere.

I’ve never gone this long without seeing it,
Harry said, but there have been games that lasted hours without even a glimpse of the Snitch.

So we just make sure we don’t miss anything.


“Ginny!” George shouted from his position below her. She looked over her right shoulder and down to see him flying to intercept a Bludger aimed at her. Even as he flew into position and readied his bat in one hand, he pointed frantically across the pitch with the other. “Left! Look left!”

Ginny whipped her head around and spotted the other Bludger speeding towards her. Fred was pursuing it, but he was too far away to catch it before it got to her. She turned sharply and rolled at the same time, spinning enough that the Bludger passed directly above her as she hung from her broom. She heard the crack of a Beater’s bat as George sent it back towards the opposing team.

As she continued her roll to fly upright again, she spotted a glint of gold against the clear blue of the sky directly above her. She wrenched the Nimbus into a twisting turn and flew directly away from the ground in pursuit of the Snitch.

Ginny heard another flier behind her, and she risked a quick look over her shoulder to see Ravenclaw’s Seeker climbing in her wake. Even as she glanced at him, though, she could tell that he would not catch her. The gap between them was already opening, and she had not yet reached the top speed of the Nimbus. Ignoring her opponent, she held her face to the sky and kept her eyes on the Snitch as the sound of her pursuer’s flight faded away. Harry’s excitement matched her own as she urged the broom to reach its maximum possible acceleration.

For once, the Golden Snitch did not seem inclined to vary its path at all. It flew straight up, maximizing its speed, and it was at least thirty yards ahead of her. Nevertheless, she continued to push the broom against the direct force of gravity, and she gained ground. Distantly she heard Lee’s voice from the pitch below.

“… going higher than I’ve seen a Snitch fly, but she’s sticking with it. Smith is falling behind, and it looks like he’s giving up. Go for it, Ginny! Meanwhile, Bell’s scored again, bringing it to a tie at fifty points each! Getting hard to see the Gryffindor Seeker. She’s getting really high up there, and she’s half the size of a Sickle to begin with…”

Gee, thanks, Lee.

Lee’s voice faded to nothing as she climbed higher. The wind began to pick up, and the air grew slightly cooler. The Snitch was now only two yards ahead of her, so Ginny doggedly kept to her course. A moment later, she caught up to her quarry and reached out to pluck it easily from the air.

That seemed awfully simple, Ginny said.

You mean aside from the fact that we’re probably a thousand feet above the ground?

Ginny levelled off her flight and looked around. They were indeed far above Hogwarts. The Quidditch pitch looked like part of a child’s play set, and the other players were nothing more than red and blue specks. Looking around, Ginny could see the vast expanse of the Forbidden Forest, the glittering surface of the lake, and the incredible vista of the Scottish mountains around them.

We’ve got to do this more often, Harry said.

It’s beautiful, she agreed.

Shall we go tell Oliver the game’s over and done? He might like to know.

Grinning, Ginny tipped her broom towards the ground and launched herself into a steep dive. After a few seconds, she was flying faster than either of them had ever flown before, and the feeling was incredibly thrilling. Harry was glad that Madam Pomfrey was not trying to examine him as his own body tensed and twitched in response to the sensations flooding their minds.

“… back down, and look at her go! If she’s got the Snitch, then the game will be over, but not until Madam Hooch acknowledges the catch. We should be able to tell any time now if she’s got it…”

A hundred feet above the stands, Ginny gradually pulled out of her dive, letting her speed bleed off as she turned into a lap around the pitch. Holding the Snitch tightly in her fingers, she raised her hand above her head for everyone to see. Madam Hooch’s whistle blew a fraction of a second before the stands exploded with shouts and applause.

“Ginny Weasley’s done it! She’s caught the Golden Snitch! The match is over, and Gryffindor wins 200-60! Gryffindor wins the Cup! Gryffindor wins the Cup!”

Ginny looked down and saw Lee abandon his commentary as he threw his hands into the air and jumped up and down. McGonagall was on her feet next to him, clearly applauding as loudly as she could. In the stands, the Gryffindors were a writhing mass of exultant noise and motion. The Hufflepuffs were clapping and cheering enthusiastically, while the Ravenclaws’ applause was decidedly perfunctory. The Slytherins were sitting silently or, in a few cases, booing at the top of their lungs.

Spotting her team-mates waving at her from below, Ginny flew down towards the pitch and landed near the middle of the field. Immediately, she was engulfed by her team-mates. The three other girls all hugged her tightly at the same time, bouncing together in a tight mass, before releasing her to the twins. Fred and George thumped her soundly on the back as they each hugged her, shouting in her ear.

“Well done, Ginny!”

“Knew you could do it, little sister!”

Brilliant game, Ginny.

“Thanks!” she shouted, her grin growing even broader.

The audience quieted slightly, and Angelina pointed up towards the stands. “Look! The Cup!”

The rest of the team turned in the proper direction and craned their necks up towards the professors’ box. Ginny could not see past her brothers, so she pushed between them to stand in front. They noticed her movement, and rather than making room for her, they crouched down and pushed their shoulders under her hips. Ginny whooped in surprise as they stood up again, and she braced one hand on Fred’s head for balance, still holding the Nimbus in the other.

Sitting on their shoulders, she watched as Oliver flew up to Dumbledore and was awarded the Quidditch Cup. The Gryffindor Captain held it above his head for a moment as the cheers redoubled, and then he flew down towards his team. The Cup was passed around among the Chasers as Ginny hopped down to the ground. When it was their turn, Fred and George each took one handle of the Cup and, holding it between them, kissed its polished golden surface.

Smiling broadly, Oliver pulled the Cup away from the twins and held it out to Ginny. “Take this up to Professor McGonagall for us, Ginny. You’ve earned the right.”

Ginny put the Snitch in Oliver’s free hand, remounted her broom, and wrapped one arm carefully around the Cup. She launched herself into the air, looping around the team once, and then flew straight towards McGonagall. She stopped and hovered in front of the professor, holding out the trophy. “Can you find some place to keep this, Professor?”

“I think I know just the spot,” McGonagall replied, but she did not take the Cup. “First, however, I think it only fitting that you and your team-mates deliver it to Mr. Potter. He is a member of this team also, after all.” Her expression was perfectly straight, but Ginny saw the slightest twinkle of mischief in her professor’s eyes.

“Yes, Professor,” Ginny said, beaming. “Thank you!”

Turning in place, Ginny dove back towards the team, who were looking up at her in confusion. As she flew over their heads without stopping, she shouted, “Let’s take it to Harry!” Then she turned her broom in the direction of the castle and accelerated to soar over the stands. As she flew over the heads of the startled Hufflepuffs, she looked back and saw that the rest of the team had mounted their brooms and were following her.

“Madam Pomfrey!” Harry called out sharply.

“Yes, Mr. Potter?” she replied, emerging from her office with a look of concern on her face.

“We’ve just won the Quidditch Cup, and the team’s coming here now. Can I sit up? Please?”

Harry knew that he could not contain his excitement, but the mediwitch just gave him a thin smile. “You may, but you still must not be moved unnecessarily, and no one may touch your lower back.”

Harry nodded against his pillow. “Ginny knows. She’ll make sure I’m safe.”

A moment later, Pomfrey’s levitation spell lifted him and set him on his feet, and then she helped him to sit on the edge of his bed.

Ginny landed just outside the main doors of the castle, significantly ahead of her team-mates. Pulling the doors open, she ran into the deserted Great Hall and transported herself to the hospital wing, holding the Quidditch Cup in one hand and the Nimbus in the other. Once she arrived, Ginny paused only long enough to prop the broom against the wall before launching herself towards Harry’s bed. She set the Cup on the table and then climbed up next to him.

Don’t move! she reminded him. Kneeling at his side, she reached over and wrapped her arms very gingerly around his shoulders, staying well away from his injury and making sure that she did not rest any of her weight on his body. When she was satisfied that he would not be damaged, she touched her forehead to his crown and squeezed his shoulders. Unable to do anything else, Harry reached over and squeezed her knee through the Quidditch uniform.

We did it, Harry! We won the Cup!

Their joy flooded them. Together, just like we promised.

Ginny nodded and then pulled away from Harry when they heard footsteps in the hallway. She stood in front of him, and when the rest of the team entered the room, she held out her arms. “Wait!” she said loudly, interrupting their ongoing conversation. They all stopped abruptly and looked at her.

“You can’t touch his back, and you can’t make him move his back,” she said. “Just shake his hand or something.”

Ginny moved to the side, and Oliver nodded and stepped forward to shake Harry’s hand firmly. “Looks like Ginny already gave you the news. She did a brilliant job today, Harry, but we’d never have won the Cup without you. Don’t think for a minute that we appreciate you any less because you weren’t on the pitch today.” The others nodded in agreement, though the twins wore smiles that were slightly more knowing than usual. Even though Harry had already known the outcome of the game, he had no problem appearing excited. Ginny’s adrenalin and their pleasure still buoyed them both.

When Oliver moved aside, the three Chasers each shook his hand in turn. The twins each took one of Harry’s hands in both of theirs and shook his hands in alternation.

“We missed you, Harry old boy, but Ginny did her best to fill in your uniform,” Fred said.

“You’d have been proud if you could’ve seen it,” George continued with a sly grin. “She was so good, it was almost like watching you up there.”

“Except for the hair and the continuous threats to hex us.”

“Quite right. Other than that, you’d think she’d been flying with us the whole year.”

They had begun to pump his arms more and more vigorously as they spoke. Ginny pushed between the twins and turned to face them. “Gently!” she reprimanded them. “Or I’ll hex you right now.”

“See?” George asked. He and Fred shrank their motions until Harry’s wrists barely moved as they shook his hands.

“It was a great game to end the season,” Oliver reflected magnanimously. “Really good flying from both teams, with no rough play this time. Just playing Quidditch the way it was meant to be played.” He grinned. “Except that we did it better than they did, needless to say.”

The team launched into a play-by-play recounting of the game for Harry’s benefit, and Ginny hopped up to sit on the bed next to him as they listened. They knew much of what had happened, but they had not been able to notice any details, and Ginny particularly enjoyed hearing about the tactics used by both groups of Chasers.

After a few minutes, Ron, Hermione, and Lee Jordan entered the room and joined the group around Harry’s bed. Lee and Ron immediately dived into the conversation, offering their viewpoints on the team’s actions.

Hermione leaned against the foot of Harry’s bed and smiled at them. “I’m not getting into this one.”

“C’mon, Hermione. You know you want to,” Ginny whispered. The other girl merely rolled her eyes.

A while later, Lee opened the knapsack he had brought into the room and pulled out a battered magical camera. “Let’s have a picture,” he suggested. “The whole team with the Cup! Everyone get up on the bed with Harry.”

“But don’t —” Ginny began.

“— touch his back, or you’ll hex us, right, right,” Fred finished, grinning.

Ron and Hermione stepped off to one side, and Ginny shifted closer to Harry. Alicia sat next to Ginny, and Angelina and Katie sat on Harry’s other side. Oliver, Fred, and George kneeled on the bed behind the rest, and Oliver stayed far enough away to keep from brushing Harry’s back with his robes.

When they were all in place, Lee handed Harry the Quidditch Cup to hold in his lap. Then he backed away and adjusted his position as he looked through the camera. “All set?”

The team nodded. Ginny looped her arm through Harry’s and leaned over to rest her head lightly on his shoulder.

“On three, everybody say, ‘Gryffindor!’ One, two, three…”

“GRYFFINDOR!”


Reviews 1026
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear