Search:

SIYE Time:17:48 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Don't Give Up Yet
By Pigwidgeon11

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Sirius Black
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 4
Summary: ONE-SHOT. Harry feels like he can't keep going, but someone knows he can. They help him to see that though he's got a long way to go, it's worth it.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3875



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
This is only my second fic, so please go easy on me. This is a one-shot story. I felt Harry would eventually have to break down to someone, saying he couldn't keep going, and I knew Ginny would be that someone.
KEEP IN MIND- ALL OF THIS IS JKR'S!




ChapterPrinter


It had been a trying day for Harry Potter. Ginny Weasley glanced up from her Charms essay as he dropped into the armchair opposite hers, his brow furrowed.

"I don't kow how much longer I can do this, Gin!" Harry burst out. "I'm so sick of having to pretend that everything is all right while my scar is burning and Voldemort is out there killing innocent citizens!"

Ginny sighed, closing her textbook. They had been through this before. "Harry, I know it must be hard. Remember, I was possessed by Voldemort, and I was only eleven then. You feel like you don't deserve to be around all these people, so clean and untouched, while you've been touched by evil, or, in your case, know you will have to face it soon."

Surprised, Harry looked up at her. Her brown eyes were earnest and wide, but they also looked worried. "That's exactly how I feel. Dirty, and - and unworthy. How come you always know how I feel, Gin?"

She laughed bitterly. "Maybe it's because we shared a common experience. I don't know, though. Hermione says that out of everyone she knows, you're the hardest to read. To me, you're like an open book. I just understand you, I guess. Like I said, maybe it's the whole Ch-Chamber thing." Ginny was still uncomfortable with the topic of her first year at Hogwarts.

Harry pulled his legs up to him, resting his chin on his knees. "I'm beginning to think I won't be able to defeat him. I try and try, but he's always back. And meanwhile, the people I love are dying. He's just too powerful."

"Harry, there's an old quote by a Muggle author known as Mark Twain that goes, 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.' You see, Harry? He may be strong and powerful, but you've kept fighting. Your allies are growing, while his are slowly dwindling. It may five months, it may take five years, but in the end, you'll be victorious. You have something Voldemort will never have -- people by your side who truly love you. These people -- I am one of them, so I would know --will follow you anywhere, just so they can see you live another day. But Voldemort's followers will all back down in the end. None of them feel true compassion for their lord, not even Bellatrix Lestrange. So there's no way they can truly conquer us. No matter how many people die trying to help you, there will always be more. Why?" Ginny blinked back tears. "Because we love you, Harry. We always have. We always will."

Harry pulled Ginny into a tight hug. She dropped her book in her haste to return the gesture.

"Thanks, Gin," Harry mumbled akwardly, but then he looked her determinedly in the eye. "I think the true reason I've kept fighting is because there are people like you. I know you all love me, and I want to keep you all safe. I want to defeat Voldemort- not for myself, but for you, and Ron, Hermione, Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, Dumbledore, Bill, Charlie, Lupin, Tonks, all the people who love me -- including Sirius and my mum and dad."

Ginny smiled through the tears that now flowed freely down her freckled cheeks. "We love you, Harry. Don't give up yet."


***************************** **************************************** **************************************** ******

Harry rolled over in his four-poster, smiling in his sleep as his mind drifted to a beautiful field of tall grass and flowers.

"Harry dear." It was Lily. "I'm glad you haven't given up hope yet."

Harry smiled up at the mother he had never known. "A good friend told me not to give up yet, Mum. A wise friend."

"Ginny Weasley, hmm?" James had arrived, closely followed by Sirius. His godfather pulled him into a rough hug, attempting to hide the tears that were threatening to fall from his shadowy eyes.

"Yeah, Ginny," Harry replied, grinning at Padfoot. "She's been really great lately, so sturdy and confident. I don't know what I'd do without little Ginny."

"She's not really little anymore, is she?" Padfoot smirked. "From what I hear, she's become quite the young woman."

Harry punched him playfully.

"No, Gin's not little anymore. She's..." Harry blinked. "Amazing," he finished.

His family was quiet for a moment, then Lily murmured, "Harry. What you said to her earlier, that she was one of the reasons you kept going- well, keep that in mind, all right?"

Confused, Harry looked to his dad. Prongs smiled, his cheeks pushing at the round glasses. "Ginny's obviously become an important part of your life. You will come to need her more than you realize."

Harry suddenly voiced a thought he had had several days ago. "It's like she's the three of you, rolled in one. She knows just what to say, how to say it. She's like a mother, because she knows how I feel. She's like a father, because she seems to want to protect me, and I want to protect her. And she's like Sirius, with her great sense of fun. I feel..." Harry cleared his throat. "I feel loved."

He looked up, surprised to see tears glistening in not only Lily's eyes, but James's and Sirius's as well.

"It's like seeing the two of you all over again," said Padfoot hoarsely. To Harry, he said, "Your parents both lost people close to them at a young age. They were never close friends in their first years at Hogwarts, but they acknowledged each other. Over time, they formed a special bond, a bond that would later be the foundation of their love. They told each other things they wouldn't tell me. And that's saying something," Sirius chuckled. "They could rely on each other as they had never known."

"You're lucky, Harry," murmured Lily. "To have someone like Ginny in your life doesn't happen to everyone."

"I'm proud of you, son," James grinned. "Don't lose Ginny. You need her."

Harry smiled. "Thanks, Mum, Dad, Sirius. I miss you guys."

Lily smiled. "We'll be back."

"Yeah," Sirius teased, "Knowing you, you're going to need a lot of help if you want to keep Ginny."

"What d'you mean, 'keep her?'" But Harry knew.

L-O-V-E, mouthed Sirius. Again, Harry punched his arm.

"Goodbye, Harry," Lily whispered, hugging him tightly. Her hair, falling over Harry's shoulder, was so similar to Ginny's.

"See you, kid," Sirius barked, ruffling Harry's hair. Harry ducked out of the way, and hugged his dad.

"Get her, Harry. The Potters always had the charm with the ladies. Good luck."

As they walked away, Harry smiled. 'Don't give up yet.'

That's good advice, he reflected.

He was going to take it.




A/N: This wasn't quite what I was hoping for, so I'll keep looking for ways to improve it. The dream sequence was an added touch, but I like the talk with Ginny better. Ah well! Also, I'm taking a random poll: which of my stories are you most anticipating the sequel for? This will help me in deciding which chapter to write next. (This story not included, of course, since it's a one-shot)
OK, I swear this is my last note: does anyone want to beta-read for me? I think I had someone beta for me once, but it kind of fell apart. Can't hurt, right? Thank you for bearing with me through my impossible Author's notes.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear