Search:

SIYE Time:9:04 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 324031; Chapter Total: 9607







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 6: After saving the Stone

Harry blearily opened his eyes. He couldn’t see very well since his glasses were not on his face. A blurred figure seemed to hover above him. Then Harry felt his glasses being placed on his nose and the image sharpened into the face of Professor Dumbledore.

Suddenly, Harry remembered everything. He, Ron and Hermione had been confronted by Neville Longbottom, leaving the Gryffindor common room after curfew. Unexpectedly, he had insisted on going with them to help them. Four people were a tight fit for Harry’s invisibility cloak; fortunately, they didn’t meet anyone in the corridors.

They had found Fluffy already asleep and managed to go down the trapdoor without waking him, landing right on top of some kind of vines. Neville told them it was Devil’s Snare and explained how to destroy it before it strangled them.

Neville proved quite helpful after that, helping the trio chase down a flying key to open the next door and aiding Ron in chess strategy needed for them to beat a lifesized game of Wizard’s Chess. However, both he and Ron were injured, forcing Harry and Hermione to leave them.

Hermione used logic to figure out a puzzle involving some potions get past some black flames into the next room. Unfortunately, potion dose was only enough for one person so Harry sent her back to take the other two boys to the hospital wing and send an owl to Dumbledore.

Harry was surprised to find not Snape in the next room but Quirrell, who was no longer stuttering and inept. He quickly binded Harry and then turned his attention to a large ornate mirror in the room. Harry read some strange words that made better sense read backwards. He then realized that it was the Mirror of Erised, from a description he had seen and read in a book in the Potter Manor library.

When Quirrell tried to use Harry to find the Stone in the mirror, Harry was surprised to see his reflection pull it out of its pocket, then discovered it was in his own pocket. Quirrell then revealed to Harry what was under his turban — Voldemort himself, attached to the back to Quirrell’s head like some ugly parasite.

Voldemort tried to get Harry to give him the Stone, but Harry saw through his lies and realized this man had tried to kill him as a baby and would not hesitate to do so. Voldemort tried to get Quirrell to grab Harry and take the Stone but Quirrell burned himself on touching Harry’s bare skin.

Harry then managed to throw Quirrell off and use his wand to throw a spell at Quirrell, a spell he dimly remembered Voldemort throwing at his mother that night he tried to kill Harry — the Expelliarmus spell. Quirrell’s skull cracked on contact with the stone wall and Voldemort sped away like a ghost, vowing to return. The last thing Harry remembered was growing weak and sleepy.

Now, Harry had only one thing on his mind, “Professor!” he said to Dumbledore, “The Philosopher’s Stone! Quirrell tried to get it. What happened to it?”

“Calm down, my boy.“ Dumbledore said, “Don’t worry. It’s no longer a problem.”

“But, sir…”

“Relax, Harry, please,” Dumbledore said, “otherwise, Madame Pomfrey will throw me out.”

Harry now had a good look around. He was lying on a bed with white linen sheets, in a room full of similar beds. He realized that this must be the hospital wing.

“Now, I will answer your questions before I summon your family, who are quite concerned for you,” Dumbledore said, “In fact, they only just left to get a spot of dinner.”

Harry then felt sick. His parents! Everything must have taken place earlier than just last night for them to be at Hogwarts already. What would they say, putting himself in such danger. He turned to the headmaster again.

“Sir, how long have I been lying here?” he asked Dumbledore. “How are Ron and Neville?”

“You’ve been here three days already, Harry, Your friends, Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom are quite all right but have been worried about you.”

“But, sir, what about the Stone? Quirrell wanted it for You-Know-Who.”

“Ah, the Stone,” Dumbledore was silent for a while, “Be reassured that neither Professor Quirrell nor Voldemort got the Stone. When I got there, I was in time to see the shade of Voldemort fleeing the room. I would have chased after him but I was more concerned for you. As for the Stone, it has been destroyed.”

“But if the Stone has been destroyed, what will happen to Nicolas Flamel and his wife? Won’t they die?

“I’m afraid so. Nicolas and I had a talk and agreed it would be best to destroy the Stone, lest Voldemort or someone else make another attempt to get it. But, they reassured me that they had enough Elixir of Life to allow them to set their affairs into order.” Dumbledore smiled at the look of amazement and concern on Harry’s face, “Do not worry, Harry. They have lived a long and wonderful life together. The love they share will carry them on for death is but another adventure.”

Harry lay back, pondering what Dumbledore had said. Dumbledore just sat there, admiring the ceiling as he hummed some tune.

“Professor,” Harry said at last, “I was thinking, now that the Stone is gone, does that mean that Vol- Volde-, I mean You-Know-Who….”

“Say his name, Harry,” Dumbledore said kindly, “Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, “Without the Stone, will Voldemort ever come back? I mean, he’s not gone, is he?”

“No, Harry,” Dumbledore said sadly, “I’m afraid he’s still out there somewhere, perhaps trying to get another body…but, not being truly alive, he can’t truly be killed. Even then, you have delayed his return to power. There are other ways he may return to his original state and there are other followers beside Quirrell who may try to help him. But, if he is constantly delayed or thwarted, then he may never return to power.”

“Professor,” Harry said, “Why is it that Quirrell couldn’t bear to touch me? The mere contact with my skin burned him.”

“Ah, yes,” Dumbledore said, “Well, Harry, when Professor Quirrell started drinking unicorn blood to keep Voldemort alive, he became as evil and monstrous as Voldemort. You have on you a mark granted by your mother when she tried stand between you and Voldemort.”

Harry’s hand went to his forehead to touch his scar.

“No, not that scar or any physical mark,” Dumbledore continued, “but a mark of love within your very skin. Something as pure and good as love cannot be understood by Voldemort so it caused him agony to touch something marked by it.”

Harry smiled at his words. He had always felt that love from his family. Dumbledore looked kindly at him, a twinkle in his eyes.

“One last thing, Professor,” Harry said, “How did I get the Stone out of the mirror. I’ve heard of it before. I read somewhere that it lets you see your deepest desires. Yet, the most contented man will only see himself.”

“Ah, yes, the mirror,” Dumbledore smiled, “That’s one of my more ingenious ideas, if I say so myself. You see, only someone who wanted to find the Stone, find it and not use it, would be able to.”

“Now, I believe those very people who love you are here.”

Just then, the doors of the hospital wing burst open and several people came hurrying in. Harry looked up and groaned at the sight of his mother and father bearing down on him.

“HARRY JAMES POTTER!” Few things could match his mother in full fury. Strangely, among those that did were his sister, Molly Weasley and Ginny Weasley. Redheads!

An hour later, Lily had calmed down enough to allow her son to explain things. Luckily, Madame Pomfrey allowed Ron and Hermione to visit Harry soon after his parents had arrived and they helped him narrate all that had occurred. The older Potters told Harry that they had left Rose with the Weasleys but had owled her that her brother was fine.

James smiled down at his son as he sat beside him, “Great work, Son. I’m proud of you. You threw a real great spell, more powerful than many of my colleagues. You’ll make a great auror someday.” Harry beamed at the praise. He had always been afraid he wouldn’t match up to his father, in spite of the Boy-Who-Lived title.

“James!” Lily chided from the other side of Harry, “Don’t encourage the boy. It’s bad enough he lied to me when he was researching about Flamel, but he went up against Vol-, Vol-, Voldemort.”

Harry looked at his mother with admiration. All these years, she always used “You-know-who” when referring to Voldemort. A healer trained in muggle psychiatry techniques had attributed it to trauma from the attack.

“Well, Lily,” James retorted, “call it payback for what he tried to do to Harry all those years ago. I’m just sorry he’s still around.”

“Dad, Mum” Harry said quietly, “I was wondering just now. It seemed Voldemort went to a lot of trouble then. I mean, using Peter and all, just to find us and try to kill me. I mean, I was just a year old then. What threat could I be to him?”

Harry couldn’t miss the looks exchanged by his parents.

“Now, Harry,” his father said, “you know we were strong opponents of him and his followers. He was going around killing any enemies. Since I come from an ancient line of Purebloods and your mother is muggleborn, it’s natural for him to target us. He just tried to kill you first to torture us.”

“Don’t concern yourself over it, Harry,” his mother added, “Whatever reason he had to try to kill you, it doesn’t matter since he’ll never have a chance to try again.”

Harry could sense that they seemed to be hiding something but since he was still a bit tired, he let it drop for now.

Soon, Madame Pomfrey came in and told his parents and friends that they had to let Harry rest some more. Harry soon drifted off to sleep.



After seeing Ron and Hermione to Gryffindor Tower, James and Lily joined Dumbledore in his office.

As soon as the door closed, James stomped up to Dumbledore who was seated behind his desk, “Really, Headmaster. This has gone too far.”

“James, please calm down,” Lily said.

“No, Lily,” James said, “I have to get this off my chest. In spite of what I told Harry, I was dismayed and shocked by what happened. I know you also were scared by this, but you took it out on our son. But the ultimate responsibility for this rests with the headmaster.”

“I’m afraid he’s right, Lily” Dumbledore said, “Please, sit down, both of you.”

Dumbledore conjured two cushioned chairs in front of his desk and the elder Potters sat down on them.

“All right, then, professor” Lily said, fixing him with a glare that often frightened her husband and children, “What were you thinking when you placed the Stone here? Then, there’s that three-headed dog of Hagrid’s. How could you hide them in a school?”

“Please, understand, Lily, James,” Dumbledore said, “At the time, we weren’t sure who was trying to steal the Stone. Being a good friend of Nicolas, I offered to keep it for safekeeping. I reasoned at the time that no one would think to look for it in a school.”

“Unfortunately, you didn’t count on Quirrell,” James said.

Dumbledore sighed, “Yes, I had no idea he had gone so far into the dark, let alone become a supporter of Voldemort. In asking the help of my fellow teachers, I let him know where the Stone was. Fortunately, your son has once again stopped him.”

The three adults were silent for a few minutes. Then, Lily said, “Professor,”

“Please, my dear,” Dumbledore interrupted, “You two can call me Albus. It’s been more than ten years since I was your professor.”

“All right, Albus,” Lily amended, blushing a bit, “Harry expressed curiosity as to why Voldemort had tried to kill him ten years ago.”

“We managed to give him excuses, Albus,” James said, “but eventually, I think we may have to tell him about the prophecy.”

“James, no!” Lily said.

“He has to know, Lily,” James said, “He’s got a right to know. It’s his life and this concerns him.”

“But he’s still too young,” Lily said, tears forming in her eyes.

James moved to her, kneeling in front of her and cradling her in his arms. “I know what you’re thinking, love. I’m his father. I want to spare him from this as much as you. But it’s something he’ll have to face someday. It’s best he be prepared. That way, he’ll have the best chance to survive and go on with his life.”

Dumbledore sighed, “I understand James’ concern, Lily. With this reappearance of Voldemort, we must assume that the prophecy will be fulfilled in the next few years. We have to prepare Harry for that. However,” he held up his hand to forestall any angry comment from the redheaded woman, “we will do it slowly so as not to arouse his suspicion. For now, we will not let him know of the prophecy. Maybe by his fifteenth birthday, it would be right.”

James and Lily agreed reluctantly to Dumbledore’s idea. Specifics could be worked out later. The couple thanked Dumbledore and went to the guest quarters in the teachers’ wing where they had been staying since they got word of what had happened to their son. They hoped he would be better.



The next morning, the nurse ran her wand over Harry and proclaimed him fit enough to leave the hospital wing that night, in time for the Leaving Feast. His parents spent an hour visiting him before hugging him goodbye, promising to meet him when the Express came in to Platform 9 ¾.

When he went out the door of the hospital wing, he was surprised to find Ron, Hermione and Neville waiting for him.

“Hi, guys,” he said to them, “Glad you came to get me.”

Neville grinned, “That’s all right. Quite an adventure we had, eh?”

Harry grinned back, as did Ron.

“Boys!” Hermione said, indignant, before breaking out into a little smile of her own.

The four Gryffindors walked down towards the Great Hall.

“Say, Neville,” Harry said, “That was quite a good bit of flying you did. I know Ron is quite good, but, frankly, I was surprised you were that good.”

“Thanks, Harry,” Neville said, “My Dad and I fly around Longbottom Mansion’s grounds once in a while.”

“Do you play Quidditch?” Ron asked.

“Well, Dad was a chaser on the Ravenclaw team for his last three years here. We often toss the quaffle between us, but never had enough people to play.”

“Well,” Harry said, “Why don’t you come over to Potter Manor or the Burrow this summer. It’s too bad I never got to know the kids of my dad’s co-workers, but I think its time I did.”

Neville grinned. “Sure, be glad to.”

Harry turned to Hermione, “Maybe we can get Mum to let you come too, Hermione. As our friend, Ron and I’d like you to get to know our families.”

“Yeah,” Ron said, “especially our sisters. Quite a pair, those two are. May be good for them to have an older sister to control them.” Ron failed to see the scowl form on Hermione’s face.

“Well,” Hermione said, “my parents are taking me to France for two weeks. But, we’ll be back by the end of July. So, maybe I can visit you then.”

“Great,” Harry said, “just in time for my birthday.”

By now, the four Gryffindors had arrived at the Great Halls doors and entered to enjoy the end-of-term feast. By the end of the evening, Harry thought it was one of his best evenings.

Initially, the Hall had been decked in Slytherin colors of green and silver since Slytherin had won the House Cup for the seventh year in a row. Then, Dumbledore had awarded some last minute points to Gryffindor for the events of the Stone. Forty points had been awarded each to Neville, Ron and Hermione and fifty had been awarded to Harry for “outstanding courage and loyalty to the Light”. So, Gryffindor ended up beating Slytherin by two points for the House Cup.

With a wave of Dumbledore’s hand, the green and silver were replaced by Gryffindor red and gold and the huge banner behind him changed to that bearing the proud Gryffindor lion amidst thunderous applause from all except the Slytherins. The four Gryffindors were repeatedly congratulated by their house mates.

Harry had looked at the High Table to see Hagrid beaming at him and Snape stiffly shaking McGonagall’s hand, a false smile plastered on his face. The potions master turned to his direction and from the look on his face, Harry was sure his next year in potions would not be good.

Harry didn’t care a fig. The feast was even more wonderful than usual. Yes, he would remember this night as one of his best at Hogwarts yet. He couldn’t wait to tell Rose and Ginny about it.



The next day, the grounds of Hogwarts was in chaos as the students hurried to catch the Hogwarts Express back to London. Harry managed to get a compartment for him, Ron and Hermione. He pulled Neville in to join them and the twins soon showed up to sit with them.

They spent the trip back, talking and laughing. Harry and Ron got into a friendly discussion with Neville over the Chudley Cannons Quidditch Team. Hermione discussed some ideas the twins had on tricks and pranks for a while but she mostly had her nose in a book.

Soon, they arrived at the platform. Harry pulled Neville and Hermione with him when he and Ron went over to greet their families.

“Dad, Mum,” he said as they came up to him with Rose, “this is Neville Longbottom. Neville, my parents. Oh, that’s my sister, Rose. She’ll be joining us next year at Hogwarts together with Ron’s sister, Ginny.”

Rose rolled her eyes, “Gee, thanks for remembering me, big brother.” She shyly smiled at the slightly pudgy boy who also smiled back.

“So, you’re Frank and Alice’s boy.” James said, “I’m glad Harry got to know you in Hogwarts. Your parents are among the best aurors under me. It’s a pity we never had time to get to know each other’s family.”

Neville beamed at the praise for his parents. “It’s an honor to meet you, sir and Mrs. Potter,” shaking their hands.

“Dad,” Harry said, “I was wondering if Neville and Hermione could come over some time. They’re both their parents’ only children and it probably gets lonely for them during summer. Neville can stay in my room and I’m sure Rose wouldn’t mind another girl with her…”

“Harry, Harry,” his father said, amused at his son’s nervousness, “okay, it’s okay. I’m sure we can accommodate them. I’ll just have to adjust the wards at Potter Manor for the two of them.”

Harry grinned, “Thanks, Dad.”

“Of course,” Lily said, “That won’t be for at least a couple of weeks.”

Harry’s eyebrows rose in question.

“Well, young man,” Lily said, “we still aren’t happy with you for going into danger. To prove our point, you’re grounded for two weeks. You’ll stay in your room, doing homework, no telly or videogames, not even going to the Burrow. At any rate, I’m sure Molly will have Ron too busy to make up for his part in your little escapade.”

Harry looked at his mother in horror, and then scowled at the grin on his sister’s face. Neville looked away in embarrassment.

Harry saw Ron nearby, red-faced as his mother was scolding him. Ginny was standing behind her mother, wearing a look of both amusement and sympathy on her face.

Hermione came over to the Potters, leading her parents who were dentists. They seemed a bit apprehensive but Harry’s mother soon put them at ease. After agreeing to allow their daughter to visit Potter Manor, they followed their daughter to meet the Weasleys. Harry noticed a smile creep on Ron’s face as he watched Hermione approach his family. Interesting.

He moved up to the Weasleys with Rose. He was immediately smothered in a hug by Molly Weasley, “How are you, Harry dear? The things you and Ron get into, really!”

“It’s okay, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said, his voice muffled from within her arms. “Have you met our other friend, Hermione?” he asked, hoping to distract her.

“Why, yes,” Mrs. Weasley said, pulling back, “Ron was just introducing her. I think its good of you to befriend her. She must have felt out of place at Hogwarts, being muggleborn.”

Ron introduced Hermione to Ginny who was now standing side by side with Rose. The two redheads looked similar though Ginny had freckles all over her face.

Ron looked to Ginny, “You know, I thought it would be good for you and Rose to have an older girl as a friend. Maybe she’ll be able to control you two.”

Ginny and Rose scowled then Ginny stepped on his foot while Rose hit him hard on the arm.

“OWW! What was that for?” Ron shouted at the two redheads, hopping on one foot while rubbing his arm. He scowled at Harry and Hermione who were covering their mouths with their hands, shaking.

“That was for being such a git, Ron.” Ginny said, glaring, “You’re lucky we don’t have our wands yet.”

“You better watch out, Ron,” Harry teased, “Next term, these two are going to be a real terror."

“You better believe it, Harry,” Rose said, “We heard what you, Ron, Hermione and the twins were up to and we want in.”

Harry’s eyes widened in shock and concern.
Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear