Search:

SIYE Time:10:34 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 322772; Chapter Total: 8581







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 34: Bad news

A week later, Harry, Ginny, Rose and Hermione were studying in the Common Room after dinner when McGonagall came in through the portrait and came up to their group.

“Mr. Potter, I would like you and Miss Potter to please accompany me to the Headmaster’s office, right now.”

Harry and Rose looked at each other, apprehension and curiosity warring in their minds.

“Harry," Ginny said in his mind, "you and Rose haven’t done any pranking without us, have you?”

“No, Gin. You know that. There’s no way I could have done anything without you knowing about it.”


“Professor,” Harry said as he got up, “what is this about?”

“You’ll find out when you get there, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said, her mouth a thin line which increased Harry’s apprehension.

“Um, okay, professor,” Harry said, “Can Ginny come with us?”

“Under the circumstances I suppose she may,” McGonagall said, “I’m sure she’ll know what it’s about as soon as you do anyway.” There was a twinkle in her eye for a moment, just like Dumbledore had.

Harry, Ginny and Rose followed McGonagall down the corridors of the castle, Harry and Ginny tightly clasping the other’s hand.

“Harry?” Ginny said, mentally, “do you have any idea what’s going on?”

“No, Gin,”
Harry replied, netally,“like you, I’m in the dark here.”

When McGonagall ushered them into Dumbledore’s office, they saw that there were other people in the office besides the Headmaster — Remus, Sirius and….

“Dad!” Harry cried. Ginny was also surprised to see James in the office. They both noticed that Rose wasn’t as surprised they were.

“What are you doing here?” Harry asked, dropping Ginny’s hand and moving forward to hug his father then he stopped short when he saw the grave expression on James’ face, “What’s wrong? Is it…Mum?” Harry’s heart was pounding now.

Ginny grabbed Harry’s hand again and gave it a squeeze.

“No, no,” James said, “She’s fine.” A sad smile formed on his face now, “She’s a bit hormonal now, but she’s okay.” He didn’t comment on seeing Ginny with his children.

“Then why are you and Sirius here?” Harry asked.

James ran his hand through his hair, a habit Harry shared. “We came to warn you and Rose, Harry.”

“Warn us?” Harry asked, his eyes narrowing, “about what, Dad?”

Sirius spoke up for him, “Wormtail escaped from Azkaban yesterday. We’re afraid he may come here for you, Harry.”

“Me?” Harry said, surprised, “Why?”

“Probably he wants revenge for what happened to him,” James said, “since he can’t get to me and Sirius, he may try to get you, or Rose.”

Harry noticed the short pause before his father added Rose’s name but he didn’t say anything.

“Wait a minute, Dad,” Harry said, “How’d he got out of Azkaban? I thought no one’s ever escaped before. I once heard you say that that was why the dementors were there.”

“The dementors have left Azkaban, haven’t they?” Rose said suddenly.

James and Sirius looked at her with surprise.

“How the hell did you figure that out?” Sirius blurted out. He turned to Dumbledore and McGonagall with a sheepish look, “Sorry, professors.” Then he turned back to Rose, “How’d you find out?” Sirius then turned to James who was now glaring at him, “Whoops, sorry, Prongs, sir.”

“Is that true, Dad, Sirius?” Harry asked, “Have the dementors left Azkaban?

When both men didn’t answer him, Harry said, “They have, haven’t they? I bet they’ve gone to join Voldemort.”

“They most likely have, Harry,” Dumbledore said, sadly, “I’ve warned the Ministry before about using them. They are foul creatures whose only desire is to suck all the happiness from their victims and to feed on their souls. They have served every so-called Dark lord. It was only a matter of time before they joined Voldemort.”

“And without the dementors around to weaken his will, Wormtail was able to assume his animagus form,” James said, wearily, “It’s very hard to catch a rat.”

“What about the rest of Voldemort’s followers who are in Azkaban?” Harry asked.

“Well, they’re still there,” Sirius said, “Your father had to assign a third of the aurors to augment the guards there.” Then he muttered, “And that the new department head isn’t helping much.”

“Harry, I think you should tell Dumbledore what Professor Trelawney said to you.”

“Oh, all right, Gin.”


“Professor,” Harry said, looking at Dumbledore, “there’s something I forgot to tell you before. The day after Valentine’s Day, something strange happened after Divination.”

Harry then told Dumbledore about the strange pronouncement given by Trelawney.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said, “If you don’t mind, I’d like to make a recording of that from your memory.”

“Okay, I guess, professor,” Harry said, “How will you do that?”

“I’ll simply extract the memory from your mind with my wand and place it in my pensieve,” Dumbledore said, “don’t worry. It won’t hurt. Do you know what a pensieve is?” He directed the question to the three children.

“Um, I think it’s a magical device, sort of a shallow basin, used to hold memories,” Rose answered, “Isn’t it a rare object, Professor?”

“Very good, Miss Potter,” Dumbledore said, smiling, “10 points to Gryffindor. Yes, you are right on all counts. It is a rare device used to hold memories. I have one, given to me as a birthday gift many, many years ago. I use it on occasion to clear my mind when the memories clutter it up, a problem with one my age, I’m afraid. Now, let me just get it.”

Dumbledore went up to a black cabinet standing in the back of his office. He opened the cabinet and brought out a shallow stone basin carved with runes around the edges. He set it up on his desk and activated it with his wand.

Harry, Ginny and Rose stared with fascination at the pensieve as it emitted a bright silvery light. Its surface became ruffled like water beneath wind and then swirled like clouds in the sky.

“Now, Harry,” Dumbledore said, “Please come over beside me. All you have to do is to think of what Trelawney had said that day. Tell me when you have the memory and I will extract it.”

Harry walked up to Dumbledore. He concentrated for a few seconds then said, “All right, sir. I have it in my mind.”

“All right, Harry. Just hold still for a while.” Dumbledore placed his wand against Harry’s temple then started to pull out a silvery gossamer-fine strand from Harry’s forehead. Once he had it all, Dumbledore dropped it in the pensieve.

“Now that we have it here,” Dumbledore said, “Let’s see the whole thing.” He prodded the silvery substance with his wand’s tip.

The head and upper shoulders of Professor Trelawney appeared above the pensieve. She said the same thing Harry had heard that day.

“It will happen tonight. The Dark Lord will return tonight. With the aid of the Vengeful Servant, he rises again, more terrible than before. Beware to the Chosen One for this will allow the False One to return for revenge on him.”

“Harry,” James said, once the memory had faded, “why didn’t you tell the headmaster about this before?”

“I forgot, Dad,” Harry said, “Some other stuff was going on at that time.”

“Yeah, I know,” James muttered.

“Just what was that, professor,” Rose asked.

“I’m afraid it may have been a prediction of some sort,” Dumbledore said, “After all, it came from your Divination professor.”

Harry’s eyes bulged, “You mean she’s not a fake?”

“Mr. Potter!” McGonagall said, “Please have some respect for your professor.”

“Sorry, professor,” Harry said. He did notice that neither McGonagall nor Dumbledore refuted his statement. McGonagall even seemed to have a slight smirk on her face.

“Do you know what it could mean, professor?” Ginny asked.

“Well, Miss Weasley,” Dumbledore said, softly, “It is obvious that the Dark Lord is Voldemort. As to the identities of the others, I have some idea, but for now, I will need some time to check them.”

Something then clicked in Harry’s mind. “Wait a minute, Dad,” Harry said, “you weren’t surprised when I said the dementors have probably gone to join Voldemort. That means you think Voldemort may be back. You’d only think that if you know about my dreams.” He turned to Dumbledore, “You told him!”

“Yes, Harry,” Dumbledore said, “I told your father about your dreams. I needed someone to know that Voldemort may be back, who better than your father? I assume he told Sirius and Remus.”

“He only told us last night about them, Harry,” Remus said, “I haven’t had the chance to talk to you about them.”

“Well, all right,” Harry said, “Now, my father and his friends know how much of a freak I am.” He felt a slap against the back of his head. Turning around, he saw Ginny standing there, glaring at him.

“Stop it, Harry! Ginny yelled in his mind, "Can’t you see they haven’t said anything about that? If they had thought you were a freak, they wouldn’t be here now warning you about Wormtail. Even with those dreams, they still care about you, just like me. So stop with the ‘feeling sorry for myself’ act.”

Stunned by that, Harry just looked at Ginny for a few seconds, then sighed. He turned around to find the other people in the room looking at them with different expressions. Dumbledore gazed serenely at them, with his usual twinkle in his eye. McGonagall looked stern but had a slight upturn of her mouth. His father and his friends were looking speculatively at him. Rose had a hand covering her mouth, as if she was trying to keep from laughing.

“Er, Headmaster,” he said to Dumbledore, “was my dream real? Is Voldemort really back?”

Dumbledore’s expression became a dark one, “I’m afraid that may be so, Harry. As you know, I was absent this whole week. I was looking in all of Voldemort’s usual haunts and could not find him. The disappearance of the dementors from Azkaban only confirms his reemergence. Only someone as evil and powerful as Voldemort could call them away.”

“Well, no one in the Ministry will believe it,” James said bitterly, ‘especially that cow Fudge placed as head of my department.”

“Dad?” Harry asked, slowly, “I thought Madam Bones was head of your department.”

James and Sirius exchanged grave expressions.

“She’s disappeared, Harry,” James said, “She sent an owl a few days ago saying she was going on sick leave. I checked her place out the morning after Professor Dumbledore told us about your dream. There was no sign of her. No one’s seen her since.” He took on this pained expression, “In the meantime, Fudge placed his Deputy Minister, Dolores Umbridge in charge of the department.”

“Stupid bitch,” Sirius muttered.

“Sirius!” McGonagall said, “Watch your language in front of the children!”

Sirius looked at her with an apologetic look, “Sorry, Minerva, but that woman is a real pain.”

Harry noticed that the professor didn’t say anything about that. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and stared at the hazel eyes of his father, looking down on him with concern and love.

“Harry, I can’t begin to understand what dreaming about Voldemort is like, but it doesn’t change how much I and your mother love you. We wish you didn’t have to go through that. But remember, we will always be here for you.”

Harry felt a surge of relief over this show of support by his father.

“Hug him, you prat!” Ginny told him.

Harry moved forward and embraced his father tightly, “Thanks, Dad.”

James hugged him back, “No thanks are needed, Harry.” He released Harry from his embrace but kept his arms around his son’s shoulders, “Now, because Peter is on the loose, you’re going to have to be careful. I don’t want you to go to Hogsmeade. I don’t want you to be alone.” He looked at Ginny, “Well, I guess that won’t be a problem. Just stay with your friends wherever you go.”

James beckoned Rose over. He placed one arm around her when she came up to them, “Sweetie,” he said, looking down at her, “I don’t want you to go anywhere alone, either. It’s a good thing you and Ginny share your classes and dorm. You just stay out of trouble, okay?”

“Sure, Dad,” Rose said.

“Oh, I’m sorry to have to say this,” James said, an apologetic look on his face, “but that means no pranking either.”

“DAD!” Harry cried, in protest. Then he looked at the three professors in the office and noticed they seemed to have gone deaf and blind for the moment.

“I mean it, Harry,” James said. He turned to his friends who had started snickering, “Padfoot, Moony, stop that! This is serious.” He returned his gaze to Harry, “I have an idea how and when you do your pranking, son, so, as much as I hate it, you’ll have to lay off the pranking for now.”

Harry sighed, “All right, Dad. We’ll do it for now.” He thought he heard McGonagall breath a sigh of relief.

“All right, you three,” Remus said, “It’s getting late. I’ll take you back to the Common Room.”

“Thanks, Moony,” James said. He drew his children into another hug, and then pulled Ginny in, too. “All right, take care, all of you. Ginny, keep my children out of trouble, especially Harry.”

Ginny grinned, ignoring the glare Harry gave her and his father, “Of course, Mr. Potter, I will.”

“Thanks. Oh, you can call me James,” James said, “After all, you’re going to be my daughter-in-law. Of course, not for a few more years, I hope.”

Ginny blushed furiously, “Er, thanks, um, James.” “Cut it out, Harry!”

Harry had been laughing at her in his mind. He sobered up quickly when she yelled into his mind.

Harry and Rose said their goodbyes to James and Sirius and to Dumbledore and McGonagall. The three kids followed Remus back to the Gryffindor Tower. Remus said good night and left them at the Portrait.

As soon as they stepped through the Portrait, they found Ron, Neville and Hermione waiting for them at their usual place in front of the fireplace.

“So, what was that about?” Ron asked, “What did Dumbledore want?”

Harry exchanged glances with Rose and Ginny, “My Dad and Sirius were here. They wanted to warn us that Peter Pettigrew’s escaped from Azkaban.”

Ron, Neville and Hermione’s eyes widened.

“But why did they want to warn you?” Ron asked.

“Ron, isn’t it obvious?” Hermione said, “Pettigrew betrayed their family to V-voldemort. Because of that, he was sent to Azkaban. He’d blame them for that and now wants revenge.”

“That’s right, Hermione,” Rose said, “That’s exactly what Dad said.”

“How would he get in here, anyway?” Neville asked, “Hogwarts has loads of wards protecting it. You can’t apparate in or floo in without Dumbledore knowing.”

“Harry, don’t you think we should tell them that Pettigrew’s an animagus? They’re our friends. Knowing that would help them keep an eye out for him.”

“Um, all right, Gin. But I don’t want them to know yet that my Dad and Sirius are animagi, too.”

“All right, Harry.”


“Well," Harry said to the other three, "the thing is Pettigrew is an animagus,”

The other three gasped.

“Wow,” Neville said, “What’s his form?”

“A rat,” Rose said, “Appropriate, wasn’t it?”

Ron snorted, “Yeah, a real stinker.” He turned to Harry, “so, I guess your Dad warned you not to be alone anywhere here.”

“Yeah,” Harry frowned, leaning back in his seat, “He even warned us not to go pranking as that’s the time we’re usually alone.”

“But, you’ll be under the invisibility cloak,” Ron said, “Surely, that will keep you hidden.”

“I don’t know, Ron,” Hermione said, “I doubt Harry’s Dad would have told him to stop pranking if he thought the cloak would keep him safe from Pettigrew. After all, he gave Harry the cloak.”

Harry frowned again, “That’s what I figured, Hermione. So, I guess for now the Slytherins are safe. We’ll just have to be together wherever we go.”

“Even the loo, Harry?” Rose asked, smirking.

“Well,” Harry said, blushing, “er, I know you girls go together there. I guess Ron or Neville can go with me whenever I need to go, except when I need to shower.”

“One thing’s for sure, Harry,” Rose said, grinning, “You and Ginny can’t have any more ‘alone time’. You’d both be too distracted to defend yourself.”

Harry and Ginny both blushed as the others laughed.
Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear