Search:

SIYE Time:2:44 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 322755; Chapter Total: 8824







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 32: A Nightmare that isn’t

Harry woke up with a start, his scar throbbing. Outside his dorm’s window, it was still dark. From the position of the moon, it was probably just after midnight.

He sat up and tried to remember what had awakened him. It was some sort of dream.

He remembered a graveyard. There appeared to be a very large, old house in the distance. Then, his attention focused on a large headstone near the center of the graveyard with a boiling cauldron in front of it. There was a name on the headstone.

Harry wracked his brains trying to remember the name. It began with an R. He lay back and closed his eyes and tried to remember the other letters. As the memory returned, he sat up again, his eyes growing wide. The name of the tombstone was Riddle, Tom Riddle.

The rest of the dream started to come back to him. Two figures had come into the graveyard, both appearing to be men.

One of the men had been carrying someone in his arms. He had placed the person against the headstone then conjured ropes to hold that person in place. It was a woman dressed in a nightgown and clearly unconscious. She had appeared to be middle-aged and broad with a square jaw. She had seemed vaguely familiar to Harry.

The other man had been carrying a small bundle. When that man stepped into the light cast by the fire below the cauldron, his face had become visible. It was Lucius Malfoy.

Malfoy had opened the bundle to reveal a strange deformed creature. It was hairless and scaly-looking, with thin arms and legs and a flat and snake-like face.

Taking the creature in his arms, Malfoy had stepped up to the cauldron and lowered the creature into it.

Malfoy then had said some words that included ‘bone of the father’ and thrown a long white object into the cauldron.

The other man, who Harry didn’t know as his face was always in shadow, had then come up to Malfoy. Malfoy had taken out a large knife from within his robes, said some more words then cut off the other man’s hand, throwing it into the cauldron. The other man, his face contorted with pain, had then sunk to his knees.

Finally, Malfoy had approached the woman tied to the headstone. He had cut into her arm and taken some blood in a glass phial. He had then emptied the phial in the cauldron.

The cauldron had then shimmered, sending diamond sparks all over. Then a white smoke had billowed from the cauldron. After a long while, the figure of a man had stepped from the cauldron. As Harry gazed at the man’s face, his scar had exploded in pain. The pain had awakened him.

Harry shuddered, remembering the face that he had seen. It had been whiter than a skull, with wide, livid red eyes and a flat nose that had slits for nostrils.

Harry reached out with his mind. He sighed in relief as he felt that Ginny had not been awakened by his dream. A dream? No, more like a nightmare.

Knowing that he couldn’t go back to sleep without seeing that hideous face, Harry got up and decided to study. He put on a robe and went down to the Common Room with his book on Transfiguration.

After about five minutes, he felt Ginny stir.

“Harry, why are you up” she answered sleepily. Then she sat up, “What’s wrong? You seem uneasy or troubled. Did you have another nightmare? Wait, you did! I can see flashes of it. Oh, Harry, wait there. I’ll be down in a moment.”

Bloody Bond.
Harry cursed to himself. He’d have to learn how to shield these things from Ginny. He didn’t want her to worry. Maybe Dumbledore could help him in that.

Ten minutes later, Ginny came bounding down the stairs from the girls’ dormitories. She came over to the couch in front of the fireplace where Harry was seated, staring at the dying embers and sat beside him.

“Harry? Come on,” she said, softly, “Tell me about it. Please?”

“It’s just some silly dream, Ginny,”

“How can it be, if it bothers you like this.”


Harry sighed, “Oh, all right.” He then proceeded to tell her what he could remember of the dream.

After he had told her about it, she wrapped her arms around him and they lapsed into silence, staring at the fireplace together. She sent calming thoughts to him.

Finally, she looked up at him, “You have to tell Dumbledore, Harry.”

Harry sighed, “Why, Gin? So, he can see what a twisted imagination I have?”

She glared at him. “No, you prat, that was no product of your imagination. You remember Dumbledore said you have a connection with Riddle. You have to let him know what happened.”

He sighed again. “All right. Let’s go and get it over with. I’ll just get the cloak so we don’t get caught by Filch.”

He pulled her up and she waited while he retrieved his invisibility cloak from his trunk.

They slowly walked hand in hand under the cloak to the gargoyle guarding the staircase to the Headmaster’s office. Once there, they remembered that they didn’t know the password.

Harry’s forehead furrowed, “Okay, it’s been some sort of candy. We just have to name as many as we can.”

For five minutes, they said the name of every kind of candy they knew. Finally, Ginny said, “Three musketeers?” The gargoyle moved aside.

Harry shook his head, “It had to be a muggle candy.”

Ginny smiled, “Well, you know Dumbledore. Come on, let’s get this over with. We don’t want to be here when the rest of the castle wakes up.”

Harry nodded while folding his cloak and placing it in a pocket. They stepped on the moving stairs that carried them up to the door to Dumbledore’s office. Before Harry could knock, they heard the voice of the elderly man.

“Come in, Harry, Ginevra.”

Harry shook his head in wonder, “How does he do that? One of these days I’m finding out.”

“You and me both, Harry. It’s just too weird that he knows whoever is in front of his door.”

They entered the office and stood before the Headmaster. They noticed that the portraits of the previous headmasters that hung around the office all seemed to be asleep.

“Good evening,” Dumbledore said, smiling, “Please, sit down. To what do I owe the honor of this night’s visit?”

Once he and Ginny were seated, Harry cleared his throat, “Er, sir, I was awakened earlier by another dream about Voldemort.”

“Oh?” Dumbledore said, leaning forward, “what did you see in this ‘dream’, Harry?”

Harry told Dumbledore as much as he could about the dream. When he had finished, Dumbledore was quiet, leaning back in his chair and his fingers steepled in front of him.

Harry and Ginny watched him for several minutes, exchanging worried glances every minute. Finally, Harry said, “Sir? What happened tonight?”

Dumbledore sighed and looked at Harry, “Harry, remember what I told you last Christmas when you told me about your first dream about Voldemort?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry nodded, “that we have a connection through my scar.”

“Yes, that,” Dumbledore said, “It appears that when Voldemort gets very emotional or excited, you are able to see what he is doing. I don’t know why you are seeing it from a separate view rather than from his view, but what matters is that you see what he is doing at that moment.”

Harry’s eyes widened, “Sir, do, do you mean that what I saw wasn’t just a dream, that it was happening.”

Dumbledore nodded, a sad look in his eyes, “Yes, Harry. I believe what you saw in your dream were actual events.”

Harry’s eyes widened even more, “Then, then, that means that….”

“That Voldemort has gotten a new body. He has returned,” Dumbledore said, a fierce look in his eyes, something Harry had never seen before.

Harry felt fear and horror course through Ginny, doubling his own. He reached out and pulled her in his arms, trying to comfort her as she started to cry.

“Shh, it’ll be all right, Gin. I won’t let him hurt you or even get near you.”

Ginny sniffed and nodded.

Harry looked up at the Headmaster, “Professor, what was it exactly that I saw happening in the graveyard?”

Dumbledore’s face darkened, “That was a dark ritual, Harry. It is a ritual that gives someone like Voldemort a new body or form. It is seldom done because of the requirements needed. What you saw was the sacrifice of the items needed, a bone from the recipient’s father, a body part from a faithful follower and blood from an enemy.”

“Was that woman I saw an enemy of Voldemort?” Harry asked.

Dumbledore nodded, “Any decent person would be considered an enemy of Voldemort, Harry. But I believe he would choose anyone who had actively fought against him.”

“Then he could have chosen me,” Harry said, “I was the reason for his downfall. Why didn’t he use me?”

“Ah, Harry,” Dumbledore said, “It would be difficult for him to get you. You are here right now at Hogwarts. The wards here protect the students. At other times, you are at Potter Manor or the Burrow, which have their own wards protecting these places. So, it would have taken a lot of planning and time if he had wanted to use your blood for the ritual.”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He certainly didn’t want to be part of that horrific thing. He sure didn’t want to see Voldemort in person. Twice was already enough.

“Professor, do you know who the woman was?” Harry asked, “She seemed vaguely familiar.”

Dumbledore looked thoughtful and saddened at the same time, “From your description, Harry, I have my suspicions. I would guess that you would have known her. I will need to check with the Ministry. In the meantime, you must not tell anyone else about this, at least until I can determine who he captured for that ritual.”

He then looked kindly at the two of them, “I think the both of you should get some rest now. You may go back to Gryffindor Tower.”

Harry nodded and pulled Ginny up with him. Their walk back to Gryffindor Tower was even quieter than their walk to Dumbledore’s office.

When they were back in the Common Room, Harry guided Ginny towards the stairs to the girls’ dormitory, but she stopped him and made him face her.

“Harry?” she said softly to him in his mind as she looked up at him.

“Yes, Gin?” he answered, looking down at her, “what is it, Gin?”

“Do you mind if we just stay down here in the Common Room? I don’t want to be in my bed alone, not after hearing Dumbledore say V-v-voldemort is back.”

Harry hesitated for a moment before answering her, having felt apprehension and nervousness coming from her, “All right, Ginny. Let’s go sit on the couch.”

Harry gently guided her to the couch in front of the fireplace. He sat down and gently pulled her down beside him. Ginny curled up against him and settled her head against his shoulder as he placed his arms around her.

They didn’t speak as they sat in each other’s arms. They just stared at the dying fire as they tried to get some comfort from each other’s presence.

Finally, Harry reached out to her with his mind. “Relax, Gin. Don’t worry. Dumbledore said Hogwarts has loads of wards. We’re safe here. He can’t get to us.”

“It’s not that,”
she told him, “I’m not worried that much about us. I’m worried about my family. They’re out there, not knowing he’s back. My parents opposed him just as much as yours did. He’ll want revenge against all those who fought against him before.”

“I know, Gin,”
Harry said, “I’m worried about my parents, too, especially Mum. Being pregnant will make her less capable of doing magic. I just hope the wards around our homes and the Ministry are strong enough. Well, I’m sure Dumbledore will inform them about this. They’ll figure out something.”

After a few moments, Gin spoke up again in Harry’s mind, “Harry, you forgot to tell Dumbledore about what happened between you and Trelawney.”

“Oh, bugger,”
Harry said, “Well, it’s too late now. I’ll just have to tell him tomorrow.”

They lapsed again into silence. Soon, the slow crackling of the logs on the fire and the comfort they felt from each other’s presence lulled the two young lovers to sleep.


After Harry and Ginny had left his office, Dumbledore had remained at his desk contemplating Harry’s dream. He was not as sure of Voldemort’s return as he had appeared to Harry, but he thought it better to assume that it was true, at least until he had checked it out.

He knew the portraits of the previous headmasters of the school had all been listening when Harry had described his dream. A few had reacted to it with dread and apprehension, though Harry and Ginny had not noticed.

He talked to several of the portraits and they all agreed that it was best to assume Voldemort had really returned. Phineus Nigellus had even suggested he check on Voldemort’s last known hiding place. Dumbledore considered doing just that but first he had to inform some people about it as well as confirm his suspicion on the identity of the victim Voldemort and Lucius Malfoy had used for the ritual.

Dumbledore moved to the fireplace set in his office. Throwing in some floo powder, he called out, “Potter Manor master bedroom,” then stuck his face into the fire. When his face had settled to the view of the aforementioned bedroom, he saw two people fast asleep on a large bed, one with red hair.

Dumbledore called out softly, “James, James, please wake up.”

The man on the bed stirred, slowly sat up and sleepily looked around the room. Seeing Dumbledore’s face in the fire, he seemed to wake up instantly. James Potter got out of bed and strode quickly to the fireplace. He bent down on one knee and looked at Dumbledore’s image in the fire.

“Albus, what is it?” James said softly so as not to awaken his wife, “It’s the middle of the night. Did something happen to Harry or Rose?” He was getting agitated now.

“James, calm down,” Dumbledore said, “Yes, it has something to do with Harry, but he’s fine right now. I have to talk to you and Lily. May I come over?”

“Of course, Albus,” James said, “You know the wards are adjusted to let you in through the living room fireplace anytime. We’ll see you in there in twenty minutes.”

Twenty minutes later, Dumbledore flooed into Potter Manor to meet a worried couple.

As soon as Dumbledore was in the room, Lily stood up and advanced on him.

“Albus, what’s wrong?” Lily said, anxiously, “What happened to Harry?”

“Let’s sit down, Lily,” Dumbledore said, in a kind voice, “and I’ll tell you.”

Once they were seated, Dumbledore told the Potters about Harry’s dreams about Voldemort, especially the second one.

When he had finished, James said, “Why didn’t you tell me the first time he went to you, Albus?” His voice had an indignant tone, “After all, I’m his father.”

Dumbledore sighed, “Forgive me, James. I wanted to investigate it further before telling anyone else. In addition, Harry asked me to keep it a secret for a while. I didn’t want to break his trust in me. However, if he really did see Voldemort regain a body, then it is important for you to know about Harry’s connection with Voldemort.”

James looked to be deep in thought for a minute then he said, “All right, Albus. We’ll forget that for the moment. Now, how do we determine if what Harry dreamed about really came true?”

“Well, the last information I had on Voldemort was that he was hiding in Albania,” Dumbledore said, “I will go there and make sure he is no longer there. I should have gone there the first time Harry said he dreamed of Voldemort, but the affairs of the school came first. Now, you, James, need to find out the identity of his victim for that ritual.”

“Do you have any idea who it was, Albus?” Lily asked.

“From Harry’s description, I have my suspicions, Lily,” Dumbledore said, “I wish I could have had a look at her myself but you know that dreams cannot be viewed in a pensieve. However, James can find out if she is missing.”

“Who do you think it was, Albus,” James said.

When Dumbledore said the name, James paled while Lily gasped.

“Hmm, maybe it was her,” James said, two fingers grasping his chin as he thought about it, “I heard that she sent word by owl that she was ill. Someone should have checked on her,” He frowned then, “If it was her, then it’s a great loss for us. She was a formidable witch.’

Dumbledore looked saddened, “I agree, James. It would be a very great loss. You check on her while I am in Albania. It will take me a few days to determine he is no longer there and to see if he managed to get here. Minerva will be in charge of the school in my absence.”

Dumbledore and the Potter parents talked for a while longer before Dumbledore returned to Hogwarts.

Once the Headmaster was gone, James turned to his wife and was startled to see tears in her eyes. He embraced her and held her as she cried on his shoulder.

“Why, James?” she wailed, “why does it have to be our Harry?”

“I don’t know, Lily,” James said, “I’m just thankful that we are here to help him through this. I don’t know how he would have managed if we weren’t around.”

When Lily had cried herself out, James helped her back to their bedroom. He didn’t go back to sleep, however. Instead, James got dressed and prepared to do what Dumbledore had asked him to do. He just hoped Dumbledore was wrong about the identity of the woman Voldemort had used in his ritual.
Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear