Search:

SIYE Time:11:58 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 323316; Chapter Total: 9772







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



Chapter 7: Summer talks

Harry was seated at the mahogany desk of his room, scratching with a quill on some parchment, numerous books spread open around the same desk. Pausing, he looked out the window and frowned.

Outside, the weather was bright and sunny and he could see the little figure of his sister floating around on a broom. It had been a tough two weeks with him stuck in his room, doing nothing but homework. At least, he ate his meals with the rest of his family in the dining room. Thankfully, today was the last day of his punishment. Now, if only I could finish this potions essay.

For the nth time, he silently cursed Snape for being a git. Who else would have given so much summer homework? Four feet on the uses of troll blood, three feet on the properties of European waterplants and five feet on the results of mixing any of the potions they had done in the past year, every combination. At least his father had agreed with his opinion of Snape in general and the homework in particular, but his mother insisted he finish it before he would be allowed to enjoy his summer.

Now, Harry picked up a ruler and measured his work on the last essay. He put it down in disgust. He was still short six inches, even if he wrote in rather large letters. He wondered what else he could find to fill it. He looked again out the window, seeing Rose now flying low over their mother’s flower garden.

Harry sighed. Rose had not made the last two weeks any easier, teasing him by playing the radio in her room and the telly in the family room on high volume and flying past his bedroom window every so often, not to mention, talking about her constant visits to the Burrow.

Of course, she also told him about Ron being stuck with all sorts of chores as his version of grounding. This filled Harry with a mixture of relief that he wasn’t alone in his suffering and guilt that he was the reason for Ron’s punishment.

Harry sighed again and turned back to his essay. After twenty minutes of searching through the books around him, he threw down his quill in frustration. He moved to his bed and threw himself on top of it, lying down on his back with his hands behind his head. He needed a break.

Harry gazed wistfully around his room. There was an empty space in the middle of his cabinet, about the right size for a television. His parents had removed it along with his Playstation and Atari videogames as part of his punishment. Even his old toy chest was locked up.

Sometimes, he wondered if it had been worth it. But then, he’d rather be bored than cowering and waiting for Voldemort to come get him. Again, he thought about his confrontation with old snakeface, as he had now come to call him.

Over the past two weeks, as he lay on his bed at night, he had wondered about the reason why Voldemort had wanted to kill him. At first, he had accepted his parents’ answers. But as he thought about it more and more, he wondered why Voldemort hadn’t killed his parents first if it was just an ordinary attack against his enemies.

He decided to ask his friends for their opinions. Maybe Ron and Hermione could suggest what to do. He just felt that his parents were hiding something. As frustrating as that was, he knew he wouldn’t be able to discover what that was for now.

Harry then got up and went to his door. Slowly opening it, he peeked around. Seeing no one, he stepped out and made ready head on downstairs. He hoped his parents might relent with his punishment today since he hadn’t complained about it since he got home.

He had just gotten a few feet from his door, when he heard a pop behind him.

“Master Harry shouldn’t be out of his room,” a high-pitched squeeky voice said.

Harry sighed and turned around to face a small creature with tennisball -sized green eyes and large bat-like ears, wearing a butler suit with the crest of the Potter family on the left breastpocket.

“Come on, Blinky,” Harry said, “It’s the last day. Surely, I earned a pass by now.” Blinky was one of the four free house elves who worked for the Potters. The others were his wife, Mimi and their children, Orni and Lamni.

“Mistress Lily hasn’t said anything to me, Master Harry,” Blinky said sternly, shaking a finger at the boy, “Master can come down later for lunch.”

“But that’s two hours from now,” Harry whined, “Can’t I just take a walk in the garden. I’m bored!”

“Master Harry still hasn’t finished his homework,” Blinky said.

“But I’m stuck! I’ve only got six inches to go and there isn’t anything I can add. Please, Blinky, let me walk around a bit. I haven’t had any sun since I got home.” Harry made a sad puppy dog look on his face.

After a while, the house-elf said, “Oh, all right, Master Harry. Just a walk, mind you. I’ll have to tell Mistress Lily later when she gets home.”

Harry grinned, “Thanks, Blinky. Oh, by the way, remember what I said last year, I don’t want you to call me Master anymore. Just call me Harry. You and your family are free elves. You may work for us but I want to be considered as your friend and not just your employer.”

“No, no,” Blinky said, clearly flustered, “It not right, Master Harry. Even if we is getting wages and clothes, we is just house-elves. It not right to presume more, especially with Harry Potter and his family.”

Curious, Harry asked, “Why is that, Blinky? What’s so different with me and my family?

“Why, you is Harry Potter,” Blinky said, “since you beat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, we house-elfs have been treated better by wizards.”

Harry frowned. He’d never known house-elves were treated badly before. His parents had always been respectful of their house-elves and taught their children the same. He’d have to ask them about it sometime, especially his dad since he was a pureblood wizard.

“All right, Blinky,” Harry said, “We’ll discuss this another time.”

“Yes, Master Harry,” Blinky said, and he disappeared.

Harry moved outside to the garden and reveled in the warm feeling of the sun on his body.

“Hey! What are you doing out here?” he heard Rose yell at him from above.

Harry smirked as he looked up at her, “Just enjoying the sun.”

“You’re supposed to be studying,” she said to him, “I’ll tell Mum and Dad.”

“I’m almost done, just a few more inches on one last essay,” Harry replied, “Anyway, I asked Blinky for permission. He’ll probably beat you to telling Mum. Plus, it’s the last day of my detention.”

At that, Rose smiled, “Hey, that means Ginny can come over again.” She landed beside her brother.

“I guess so,” Harry said, “Ron will be glad to, anyway. I hope he’s not too ticked off at me for landing him in trouble with his parents.”

“Nope, I don’t think so, Harry,” Rose said, “he’s quite the big thing with his brothers now. None of them ever had such an adventure.” Suddenly, she dropped her broom and hugged Harry fiercely.

Harry was surprised by this for a moment. Then, he awkwardly hugged her back. “Hey, sprite, what’s wrong?” he asked her.

“I suddenly remembered you confronted You-Know-Who again, just like you did when we were babies,” her voice muffled.

He pulled back at held her at arm’s length. He was surprised to see that her eyes were moist and glistening, “Come on, sis. It’s all right.”

She suddenly slapped him on his arm, “You could have died, you big git! When I heard, I was so worried. I don’t know what I’d do without you to bother.”

Harry’s heart swelled. His sister really did care for him, in spite of her teasing.

He led her back to the porch and sat her down on one of the sundeck chairs, then sat beside her, wrapping his arm around her. She laid her head on his shoulder.

“Don’t you worry, sis,” he said, “I survived again. I doubt he’ll be back anytime soon. There’s no reason I’ll be meeting up with him again.”

They sat in silence for what seemed like a long time. Finally, Rose said, “So, what do we do when Ron and Ginny get here?”

Harry smiled, “Oh, I don’t know yet. I’m sure we can think of something.”

They heard a pop and another house-elf, this time wearing a yellow dress, stood there in front of them.

“Lunch is ready, young master and young mistress,” she said.

The young Potters smiled. “Thanks, Mimi,” Harry said, then turned to Rose, “Come on, sis. Let’s eat.”

After lunch, Harry decided to give the essay another try. He first went to the library to get a few more books on potions. Three hours later, he had only added another three inches to it. He sighed in frustration. Hopefully, his mum could help him out. She was quite good with potions.

Just then, he heard a knock on his door. Turning around, he saw his mum standing in the open door of his room, her arms crossed over her chest. He gulped at the stern look on her face.

“I heard you left this room before lunchtime,” she said.

“Er, yeah, Mum,” Harry said uncertainly, “I just needed to clear my head. I thought a little sun couldn’t hurt.” When she didn’t make any comment but continued to stare at him, he added, “Please, Mum, it was just for a while. I was already on my last bit of homework, just six inches short. I went back to it after lunch.” He picked up the parchment and waved it at her, “Could you take a look? I’m still short three inches and I can’t find anything else to add. Please?”

Lily held her stern look for another few seconds then gave him a little smile, “Well, I guess you’ve earned a pass since you’ve been a good boy these past two weeks. Let’s see that essay. What’s the subject?”

“Erm, it’s a potions essay.” Harry answered, “It’s about reactions from mixing the different potions we learned to brew this year.”

“That’s a bit over your head,” Lily said, frowning, as she took the parchment from her son. She skimmed through it, then said, “Well, looks like you’ve covered most of it, but I think you should consider the effects of mixing the calming potion and the agitation-producing potion.”

“Wouldn’t they cancel each other out?” Harry asked.

“Remember that the strength of these potions depends on the amount of the ingredients. Consider if one or the other had more of some ingredients.”

Harry thought about it for a while, then he understood. “Thanks, Mum,” he said, smiling.

Lily smiled also, “Glad to help.” She turned around to leave the room.

“Mum?”

Lily turned around, “Yes, Harry?”

“Um, Rose and I had a bit of a talk.” Harry said. After a short pause, “She was quite worried for me, wasn’t she?”

Lily closed the door and sat on Harry’s bed, patting a spot beside her. Harry sat down.

“We all were, Harry,” she said, “At least, me and your dad were there with you in the hospital wing. She was quite upset about being left at the Burrow. Molly and Ginny tried to distract her, but…”

Harry hung his head, “I’m sorry for worrying all of you, for putting my friends in danger,” then his head came up, “but not for what we did. Come on, mum. What were we supposed to do? Dumbledore was gone, McGonagall wouldn’t listen. I couldn’t let the Stone get stolen, with Voldemort wanting it. Once we were down there, we couldn’t stop until the Stone was safe.”

Lily sighed, then put her hand on Harry’s shoulder, “I realize that, Harry,” she smiled at him, “You’re your father’s son. You just can’t stand back and do nothing while something bad can happen. You want to help no matter what.”

Harry blinked in surprise. It seemed his mother understood him.

“Harry,” Lily said, “I don’t want you to think that we were punishing you for going after the Stone. We appreciate that you tried to warn Professor Dumbledore. We just want you to think a bit more before doing something like this again.”

“I realize that now, Mum,” Harry said, “It’s a bit hard to think when you’re so worked up. I mean, I was so concerned to stop Snape, I let three of my friends come along even though we knew almost nothing about what we’d face after Fluffy.”

“You know, that still amazes me that my 11-year old son and his friends could get through things many adult wizards wouldn’t dare face. Like your Dad said, we are proud of what you did, in spite of the circumstances.” She then pulled Harry into a hug, “We’re just glad you’re alive.”

Harry suffered through the motherly hug, something Ron or any other 11-year old boy would have tried to get out off immediately. When his mother finally released him, he asked, “Mum, about Snape, why is it he and Dad seem to hate each other? I noticed even Uncle Sirius and Remus weren’t too friendly with him, not like you.”

Lily looked down at her son for a moment before replying, “That is between Severus and James, something from our days at Hogwarts and remember, he’s Professor Snape to you.”

“He did something to Dad, didn’t he?” Harry asked.

Lily looked down for a moment, a mannerism Harry had learned meant his mother was thinking about what to say.

“Harry, believe it or not, your father was a different person back then,” Lily said. Seeing the skeptical and questioning look on her son’s face, she added, “Oh, he was a typical Gryffindor. He was just as brave and honorable as he is now, but before our sixth year, let’s just say I didn’t like James Potter very much and wanted little to do with him outside of classes and homework.”

Harry’s eyebrows rose in surprise. Then again, most of the stories he’d heard from his father and his friends had been about Hogwarts in general. The stories he had been told about their pranks never gave any specifics like the names of who they pranked except that they were almost always Slytherins or the spells they used. He and Rose had never been told about how their parents had gotten together, not that they’d ever been interested in such. Now, he was curious and a bit disturbed that his parents hadn’t always gotten along.

“So, what was he like then, Mum?” Harry asked, “How’d you two end up together and does Snape have anything to do with it?”

Lily again dipped her head, “All I can tell you, sweetie, is that Severus and I were friends even if he was in Slytherin and I was in Gryffindor. We still are, after a fashion, even after I hooked up with your father. About your father’s character then and how we came together, that is something best left for another time. I didn’t expect you to be interested in that sort of thing yet. Anyway, it’s almost time for dinner.” She got up and walked to the door, opening it and going through. Then she turned around, “Oh, since you’ll be free of this room tomorrow, you can floo call Ron later and invite him over if you want.”

Harry grinned and said, “Thanks, Mum.”

Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear