Search:

SIYE Time:22:54 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 324118; Chapter Total: 8756





Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter. Harry and company meet the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Rose has a surprise for Harry, much to Harry's dismay. His parents aren't pleased either, not to mention Ginny/




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 45: The Choosing of the Champions


Harry sat with the rest of his schoolmates in the heavily decorated Great Hall, watching the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. The foreign students had arrived less than an hour ago on board a huge carriage drawn by elephantine winged horses and a large galleon, respectively.

All of them were in their seventh year, except for one of the girls from Beauxbatons who looked even younger than a first year. It came as a surprise to the Hogwarts students that Viktor Krum, the Bulgarian National Quidditch team seeker was among the Durmstrang candidates. Ron had practically fainted over seeing his idol, much to Harry and Ginny’s amusement and Hermione’s disgust.

Another surprise was seeing the Headmistress of Beauxbatons, Madame Maxime, who was one of the largest women they had ever seen; she was even taller than Hagrid. In addition, one of the girls from her school had elicited a strange reaction from the male students of Hogwarts, a reaction Harry found disturbingly similar to the one he had seen at the Quidditch World Cup when the Veelas had been dancing.

“She must be part Veela,” Ginny had commented mentally to him when she detected that particular thought in Harry’s mind.

Soon, Professor Dumbledore interrupted Harry’s thoughts as he stood up. The teachers’ table was more crowded than usual since there were more people than normal seated there. To Dumbledore’s right sat Cornelius Fudge. To the headmaster’s left were Madame Maxime and the relatively new Headmaster of Durmstrang, Tadeus Propanov.

Propanov had been assistant headmaster for many years and only been recently elevated to his present position at the beginning of the present term. It was rumored that his predecessor, Igor Karkaroff, had disappeared mysteriously near the end of the previous term.

Bartemius Crouch and Ludo Bagman were also present, being seated to the right of Fudge.

Dumbledore welcomed the foreign students and the Ministry officials then opened the feast. As usual, the food was excellent. One of the French students commented that it was better than the food at their school, though a few of his classmates didn’t touch some of the English specialties, like the steak and kidney pie.

Once everyone had their fill, Dumbledore rose again. He explained the history of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Then, Mr. Crouch brought out a large box and set it on a table in front of the teachers’ table. He then opened it, revealing an intricately carved wooden cup.

“This is the Goblet of Fire,” Dumbledore said, “This is the method by which the champions from each school are chosen.” He then proceeded to explain the mechanism for entering oneself in the tournament and the other rules of the tournament, including a warning that someone who entered the tournament entered into a binding magical contract and couldn’t back out no matter what happened. After pausing a few seconds to let that sink in, he sent them all off to bed.

As they trudged to their dormitories, Harry could hear Fred and George speculating on how to get past the age line Dumbledore was putting around the Goblet of Fire in order to keep anyone under seventeen out of the tournament. He shook his head at their audacity.

The next morning was full of excitement as the eligible students put their names into the Goblet which was set up in the Entrance Hall. There was a nice moment of amusement when Fred and George attempted to circumvent Dumbledore’s age line by using an aging potion. They ended up being thrown out of the circle formed by the age line and each receiving a distinguished looking white beard.

As they ate breakfast, Harry noticed that an eagle owl had landed beside Draco. The Malfoy heir removed the letter attached to the owl and read it. Harry was intrigued when Draco’s face became pale after reading it.

Before he could think further of it, he heard a commotion from the door and saw a bunch of older Gryffindors cheering and laughing as they entered the Great Hall. Among them was Angelina Johnson, who was grinning. When she reached the Gryffindor table, the older girl announced that she had just placed her name in the Goblet. Harry and the rest of their House congratulated her.

Since it was a Saturday and they had no homework that needed immediate work, Harry and his friends went down to the grounds near Hagrid’s hut to do some exercises and martial arts. After lunch in the Great Hall, they went back to the Gryffindor Common Room to relax.

After Ron had demolished him in a couple of games of chess, Harry invited Ginny to take a walk by the lake. Rose and Hermione decided to go out of the common room with them on the way to the library. As they were walking, Harry heard a gasp to his left. Turning in that direction, Harry was alarmed to see Rose staring at him, her face even paler than Malfoy’s had been that morning.

“Rose, what is it?” Harry asked, hurrying to his sister’s side.

“H-harry,” Rose said, “I’ve just had a v-vision and we-we have to talk to the Headmaster right now.” She was visibly trembling.

Harry quirked an eyebrow but didn’t question his sister. Instead, he gently took hold of Rose’s hand and lead her towards Dumbledore’s office, Ginny and Hermione following them.

When they reached the gargoyle, guarding the stairs to the Headmaster’s office, Harry didn’t hesitate to give the password he and Ginny had been given for their lessons. The four Gryffindors then immediately ascended the stairs to the main office.

As they stood at the door, they heard Dumbledore’s voice bid them to enter.

“Ah, Harry, Miss Weasley, Miss Potter, Miss Granger,” Dumbledore said, a smile on his face, “Please sit down. What can I do for you?”

“Actually, sir,” Harry said, as he sat down in a couch with Ginny by his side, “Rose said she needed to speak to you.”

“Miss Potter,” Dumbledore said, “What’s wrong?”

“I-I-I had a vision, Professor,” Rose said, in a low voice, “just a few minutes ago while I was walking in the corridors.”

“Oh?” Dumbledore asked, “What did you see in this vision, Rose?”

“I s-saw you receive a name from the Goblet of Fire,” Rose said, “The name you read was Harry’s.” She was now looking at her brother with frightened eyes.

Dumbledore’s eyes widened and he turned to Harry whose own eyes had widened, “Harry, did you put your name in the Goblet?”

“NO!” Harry said, loudly. His voice rang through the office.

“Are you sure, Harry?” Dumbledore said, “You didn’t ask an older boy to place your name in the Goblet?”

“No, Professor,” Harry said, “I promised Ginny that I wouldn’t try to enter the tournament. I would never go back on a promise to her, or to anyone.”

Dumbledore looked intently at Harry for a few seconds before turning away and sighing.

After a few moments of silence, Hermione asked, “Professor, do you think Rose’s vision will come true? You don’t think it’s just a possibility of what may happen?”

“I don’t think so, Miss Granger,” Dumbledore said, “After the prophecy she has given, I don’t think any visions Rose will see will be false.”

“So that’s it then?” Harry asked, “Somehow, I’m going to be in this tournament?”

Dumbledore sighed again, “I believe so, Harry. Someone has decided that you are to take part in this tournament.”

“Someone?” Harry said, “Hah! Do we have to ask who that someone is? Hands down, it’s Moldieshorts.” There was a bitter, resigned tone in his voice.

“Wait a minute,” Ginny said. She stood up and started advancing on the Headmaster, her gait much like a cat stalking its prey. “You mean to tell me that you’re going to let this happen?” Her voice started rising with every word. “You’re going to let him take part in a tournament where he could get HURT, MUCH LESS, DIE! JUST BLOODY GREAT! WAIT TILL MY MUM HEARS THIS, BOTH OF THEM!” She then stood in front of Dumbledore, glaring at him.

Harry’s heart swelled upon hearing Ginny’s implied reference to his mother as one of her mothers. He also felt proud of how defensive of him she was.

Hermione and Rose, on the other hand, just stared at Ginny, shocked that she had shouted at Dumbledore, someone considered to be one of the greatest wizards alive.

Dumbledore calmly watched the youngest Weasley for a few moments then he said, “Now, now calm down, Ginevra,” When Ginny bristled at his use of her despised given name, he said, “Ginny, please listen to me first. As you have seen in the amusing way your brothers attempted to enter, it is impossible to get pass the age line if one is underage. It will take great magic to fool the Goblet of Fire so that Harry is chosen as one of the contestants. If it is indeed Voldemort who has planned this, then he has a purpose that we must discover. If we somehow prevent Harry’s inclusion as a contestant, he will simply make another plan, one we will be unable to prevent. At least, with the spells you both have been learning this past summer, Harry will be better prepared to face the three tasks of the tournament.”

The four students considered Dumbledore’s points. Finally, Ginny sighed then she said, “All right, Professor. I guess there’s nothing else we can do. I hope that with what you’ve taught us so far, Harry can handle whatever is going to happen. Can you tell us what the tasks will be?”

Dumbledore shook his head, though he was smiling, “Unfortunately, Ginny, in fairness to the other contestants, I cannot divulge that information. I must treat Harry equally with the other school’s champions. One of the rules of the tournament states that none of the heads of the school may help their contestant.”

“So what do we do now, sir,” Hermione asked.

“Well, Miss Granger,” Dumbledore said, “It will be time for the Feast and the picking of the school champions in less than two hours. I suggest that the four of you return to your common room and try to relax.”

“Relax!?” Harry said, “Are you bloody mad? Oops, sorry, Professor. But, how can I relax when I know my name is going to come out of that bloody Goblet? I can imagine what the rest of the school will think when that happens. It’ll be like second year again when they thought I was Slytherin’s heir. Then there are the other schools. This is going to be bloody awful.” He slumped into his chair and looked down at the floor.

“Don’t worry, Harry,” Ginny’s voice came up in his mind, as she took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, “Our little band isn’t going to be like that. We’ll be behind you. You won’t be alone in this.” She then sent him soothing thoughts through their bond.

Harry felt himself calming down and sighed. He looked up at Dumbledore, “All right, Professor. I’ll try and looked surprised when it happens. I hope you’re happy. Just wait till Mum hears this.” He was a little satisfied on seeing Dumbledore visibly wince.

Harry stood up, dragging Ginny with him and left the office. Hermione and Rose gave a quiet goodbye to Dumbledore before following the couple.

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair for a moment before turning to Fawkes who was on his perch beside his desk.

“I need you to deliver a message for me, old friend,” he told the phoenix.


Hermione and Rose followed Harry and Ginny as they headed outside to the grounds, not stopping until they reached the tree under which the young couple had had their Valentine’s Day picnic a few months back.

Harry sat with his back against the tree. Ginny sat beside him and leaned against him, her arms wrapped around him. Hermione and Rose sat down beside them, worry over Harry evident in their eyes.

Ginny could feel the turmoil in his mind. Finally, she forced him to lay his head in her lap and started to run her hands in his hair as she continued sending soothing thoughts to him.

How much time passed was unknown to the four until Hermione noticed that it was getting dark. She reluctantly approached her two friends.

“Harry, Ginny,” she said, “It’s starting to get late. It’ll be time for the Feast soon. I know you don’t want to go anymore but it’ll look suspicious when your name gets pulled out of the Goblet.”

Harry looked at her for a moment then reluctantly got up slowly. He reached down and pulled Ginny up. Without a word, the two walked slowly back to the castle. Hermione and Rose exchanged a worried glance and followed the bonded pair.

As they reached the front doors, they saw the students from Durmstrang approaching, Krum and Propanov in the lead. They noticed that the Goblet was no longer in the Entrance Hall.

They saw it when they entered the already filling Great Hall, resting on the teachers’ table, in front of Dumbledore’s empty chair. The four younger Gryffindors sat down beside Fred and George, across from Ron, Neville and Ti.

“Where were you four?” Ron asked, leaning across the table. “You were gone for hours.”

“We were sitting by the lake,” Hermione answered almost immediately, “just talking. We forgot the time.”

“Talking, eh?” Fred said, his eyebrows wagging, “I bet Harry and Ginny weren’t just talking.”

“Fred!” Ginny said, blushing, her hand still in Harry’s.

The light banter of the siblings turned Harry’s attention from the Goblet and his worried anticipation He started to eat, suddenly finding himself ravenous.

Ginny sensed his change in mood and was grateful. She had been afraid that he would not eat and be morose all evening, drawing attention to himself.

Finally, the plates were cleared of food and Dumbledore stood up, causing the Hall to fall silent. The other people at the teachers’ table had different expressions on their faces, ranging from Madame Maxime and Propanov’s tense expectant looks to Bagman’s beam to Mr. Crouch’s bored indifference.

After a few words on where the chosen champions would go upon being named, Dumbledore lowered the lights of the Great Hall and the Goblet flared brighter than before, its bluish flames dancing wildly.

Now that the moment had arrived, Harry found himself barely listening to Dumbledore. He was dimly aware of Krum being named the Durmstrang champion and the Veela girl, Fleur Delacour being named the Beauxbatons champion.

Finally, he heard Dumbledore clearly say, “The Hogwarts champion is…..Harry Potter!”

Harry felt numb, even if he had been expecting it. Now that it had happened, he felt cold and terrified. He could hear the noise level in the Hall abruptly rise as the rest of the Hogwarts students started talking.

He looked at Ron who was staring at him, eyes wide. Neville and Ti were the same. Most of those at the Gryffindor table were also staring at him, open-mouthed

“I-I didn’t place my name in,” he said, “I don’t want to be in this tournament.”

“Harry,” Ginny said in his mind, “Professor Dumbledore is calling you up to join the other champions. HARRY!”

Harry winced and looked around at the teachers’ table. Dumbledore was beckoning to him. McGonagall was at his side, whispering furiously to him. Madame Maxime and Propanov were eyeing him with narrowed eyes. Bagman looked confused while Crouch seemed to still be bored.

Harry stiffly got up and walked slowly to the teachers’ table. He could feel the eyes of the rest of the students following him. So far, there had been no applause, which was something he had expected.

He was dimly aware of Ginny quietly telling Ron off. No, Ron, he didn’t put his name in. You know he couldn’t have hidden that from me if he tried. He doesn’t really want in this thing.

By now, he had reached the teachers’ table. Dumbledore directed him to a door behind that table. As he passed them, Harry noted the shocked looks of most of the teachers, including Hagrid. Snape, however, looked at him with loathing. Moody simply stared at him, with both eyes, even the bluish one.

Harry went through the door to find himself in a smaller room, lined with portraits of wizards and witches and a fireplace blazing comfortably opposite him.

The other two champions were standing in front of the fireplace, conversing in low tones. They turned around upon hearing him enter, looks of surprise and consternation on their faces.

“What is zis?” the French girl asked, “Is zer a problem wiz ze ‘ogwarts champion?”

“Er, um, I’m him,” Harry said, lamely, “I mean, I’m the Hogwarts champion.”

Krum and the girl stared at him, their eyes wide.

Before they could say anything, the door opened and several people came in, led by Professor Dumbledore. Those who followed him in the room were Bagman, Mr. Crouch, Madame Maxime, Propanov, Moody, Professor McGonagall and Snape.

“Madame Maxime!” Fleur said immediately, “What iz ‘appening? Zis little boy is saying that he is ze ‘ogwarts champion.”

Harry bristled at Fleur’s statement. Me, a little boy?

“Ooh!”
He heard Ginny say in his mind, "Wait till I get my hands on that French hussy! How dare he call my Harry a little boy!”

Harry smiled inwardly and felt a warmth inside himself from the possessiveness coming from his favorite redhead, “Thanks, Gin. Don’t mind her. Let’s see what Dumbledore does to appease the other school heads. They seemed a bit ticked off.” He turned his attention to the conversation between the adults.

“I demand an explanation, Dumbly-dorr!” Madame Maxime said, “How can zis boy compete? He iz too small to be seventeen.” She turned to Harry, “How old are you, boy?”

Harry felt irritated by the imperious tone she was addressing him in but answered anyway, “I’m fourteen, Madame.”

“Hah!” Propanov said, “I thought your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore. If we had known, we would have brought younger but equally capable students.”

“I don’t know about capability, Propanov,” Snape said, “But Potter is notorious for breaking rules and crossing lines he should not ever since he started here…”

“Enough, Severus,” Dumbledore said, “This will not resolve our problem.” He faced Harry and gave him a wink that the others did not see.

“Harry,” Dumbledore asked, “did you put your name in the Goblet or have an older student put it for you?”

“No, Professor!” Harry answered, “I have no idea how my name came into the Goblet. Isn’t there any way I can withdraw and another contestant from Hogwarts chosen?”

“I’m afraid not, Mr. Potter,” Bagman said, “The rules say that once a person’s name is pulled out of the Goblet, he or she is obliged to compete. There’s no dropping out or withdrawing. Barty?” He turned to Mr. Crouch.

“Yes, I’m afraid Ludo is right, young man,” Crouch said, a smile appearing on his face for a moment before he continued in a curt voice, “According to the rules, you are placed in a binding magical contract the moment your name is selected by the Goblet. There is no getting out of it. You are therefore the official representative of Hogwarts in this Tri-Wizard Tournament.”

Harry sighed and muttered, “Well, it was worth a try.”

Bagman then said, smiling widely, “Well, now that it’s all cleared up, we can go on to the instructions for our champions. Barty, care to do the honors of explaining the first task?”

“Yes, of course,” Crouch said. He faced the three chosen champions, “The first task is designed to test your bravery and ability to think quickly. Courage in the face of danger is an important trait for a wizard. This task will be performed in front of the other students and a panel of judges on the twenty-fourth of November. Until then, you will not be informed of the nature of the task.”

The eyes of Harry and the other two champions widened in surprise over this information.

“Now,” Mr. Crouch continued, “let me inform you of some other rules. In the course of the tournament, the champions will not be allowed to ask or receive any help of any sort from your teachers to complete the tasks. You will face the first challenge with nothing more than your wands. Information on the second task will be given to you after the first task. Due to the demands of the tasks and the Tournament as a whole, the three champions will be exempted from end-of-year tests. Do any of you have any questions?”

When none of the three said anything, Crouch turned back to Dumbledore, “I think that’s it, Albus. I think I will turn in now. This evening’s events have tired me.”

“Of course, Barty,” Dumbledore said, “Argus will show you to your room in the Guest Wing.”

Bagman tried to get Madame Maxime and Propanov to join him for a nightcap but the two headpersons simply collected their respective champion and exited the room.

Harry watched them go then noticed that Dumbledore was calling him.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said, “I think you should go back to Gryffindor Tower. Doubtless, your housemates will want to celebrate. Just don’t stay up too late.” His characteristic twinkle was in his eye. “And don’t worry about your parents. I will inform them.”

Harry nodded, thankful he didn’t have to face his mother’s wrath yet, and left the room. The Great Hall was empty and dark now except for a few lit torches. He trudged up to the Tower wondering what Ron would say. Strangely, he couldn’t read any emotion from Ginny, just feel her presence coming from Gryffindor Tower.

Great, he thought, Now that it’s happened, she’s probably pissed at me for breaking my promise not to enter the bloody tournament, even if it wasn’t my fault.

“Balderdash,” he said to the Fat Lady as he reached the portrait.

He was nearly blasted off his feet by the level of noise that came through the portrait. Then he was literally hauled through the Portrait Hole by Fred and George.

He was stunned to see that the entire house was in the common room, applauding and cheering him. He was surprised to see red and gold banners decorating the room and a table in the middle groaning with food and drinks.

Several people were now crowding around him, demanding to know how he got passed the age line. Harry repeatedly denied having entered though they refused to listen.
Finally, there was a loud bang and the room became silent.

“All right, you lot!” Ginny’s voice rang through the common room, “Leave my boyfriend alone! He’s thankful for your support of him but it’s been a tiring day for him and he needs to rest.” With that, Ginny hauled Harry away from their fellow Gryffindors, now silent and wide-eyed, with the help of Hermione and Rose.

The room remained silent for a few second more then whispering and muttering broke out as the rest of the inhabitants of Gryffindor Tower began talking about Ginny’s revelation of her relationship with Harry.

Harry allowed Ginny and the others to sit him down at their favorite spot in front of the fireplace.

“Are you all right?” Ginny asked him.

He was a bit surprised that she had asked the question out loud instead of mentally but decided that she probably wanted him to answer verbally so as to reassure Hermione and Rose.

Harry shrugged and said, “I guess I’ll be fine. Even knowing beforehand it would happen didn’t quite prepare me for the shock.” He then looked at Ginny.

“Are you mad at me, Gin? I know I promised you I wouldn’t enter, but…”

He didn’t finish his apology since Ginny had started kissing him, to prove she wasn’t upset or mad. At the same time, she was talking to him mentally.

“It’s not your fault, Harry. Just be careful with whatever tasks they have planned. I want you in one piece at our wedding.”

“Oi, I thought I told you none of that in my line of sight,” a familiar voice broke into their thoughts.

Harry drew back from Ginny and saw Ron coming up to them, accompanied by Neville and Ti.

Ron looked a bit sheepishly at Harry, running his hand through his hair, “Er, for a while there, I thought you had entered the tournament without telling me. Ginny set me straight, told me you couldn’t have done that without her knowing and you’d promised her you wouldn’t.”

“I know that, Ron,” Harry said, “I saw her tell you that, sort of.”

Ron shook his head, “That’s one thing I probably won’t get used to, how the two of you know what the other is doing most of the time.” He clapped Harry on the shoulder, “Well, anyway, mate, how does it feel to be the Hogwarts champion?”

Harry thought about it for a moment then grinned, “Honestly? It feels weird. Weird and great. Now, this will be something I can do for myself and be deserving of whatever honor I get.”

His sister and closest friends exchanged looks and knew what Harry was talking about. Unlike his scar and fame for having defeated Voldemort as a baby, winning the Tri-Wizard Tournament would be an achievement he could accomplish on his own talents and magic, without the Prophecy.

Harry yawned, “It’s getting late, guys and I’m whacked. I’m going to bed.” He kissed Ginny good night and headed up to the fourth year boys’ dorm. He quickly brushed his teeth and changed to his pajamas. As he climbed into bed, his thoughts turned back to the tournament and the first task.

I wonder what it’ll be. I hope it isn’t something like dueling some people. I hope Mum and Dad take it easy on me when they hear. Anyway, it isn’t my fault. I wonder how the other houses will react.

With that last thought, he fell asleep; unaware the next day would provide answers to his last two thoughts.

When Harry and Ginny entered the Great Hall for breakfast, they noticed the hostile looks Harry was getting from most of Slytherin and even some of the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff students. The other Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs ignored them.

Harry just shrugged it off as he had expected it. As long as none of the Gryffindors were against him, he could tolerate the lack of support from the other houses. He’d just chalk it up to another grudge against Voldemort if old Snakeface was behind his entry into the tournament.

Near the end of breakfast, an eagle owl familiar to Harry and Rose flew into the Great Hall and landed on the teachers’ table, right in front of Dumbledore. In its beak, it held a red letter that started smoking. Dumbledore serenely took the letter from the owl which nipped his finger then flew off. The red letter then exploded and the voice of Lily Potter thundered around the Hall.

“ALBUS PERCIVAL WULFRIC BRIAN DUMBLEDORE! HOW DARE YOU ALLOW MY SON TO TAKE PART IN YOUR BLOODY TOURNAMENT?! YOU ASSURED JAMES AND I THAT HE COULD NOT ENTER! HOW COULD YOU? YOU BETTER MAKE SURE HE SURVIVES OR, DESCENDANT OF MERLIN OR NOT, IT WON’T BE VOLDEMORT WHO TAKES YOU DOWN!”

The whole Hall was silent at the end of that tirade. Harry thumped his forehead on the table three times, his cheeks burning with embarrassment over his mother’s threatening of the Headmaster.

Bloody hell, why did she have to send him a howler, in front of everyone at that? Now, everyone will think I’m a mamma’s boy.

He felt Ginny’s hand grasp his own and give it a gentle but firm squeeze, “But I like mamma’s boys, especially raven-haired ones with glasses and a lightning bolt scar on their foreheads.”

He also felt a small hand on his shoulder, where Rose was sitting, giving him a gentle squeeze.

“Don’t worry, bro,” Rose said, “It’s just Mum’s way of worrying over you. She just wants to put the fear of Merlin on Professor Dumbledore, not that it didn’t seem to bother him.”

Harry raised his head to glance at Dumbledore. Sure enough, the elderly wizard didn’t seem bothered by the howler from Lily, smiling with his characteristic twinkle-in-the-eye as he gazed back at Harry.

Just then, the same eagle owl that had delivered the howler to Dumbledore landed in front of Harry, a letter attached to his leg.

“Hello, Artemis,” Rose said, stroking the owl’s beak before untying the letter and handing that to Harry.

Harry unfolded the letter and recognized the untidy scrawl of his father as he read it.

Dear Harry and Rose,

I’ve received word from Albus concerning the recent event at Hogwarts. I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed to learn what has happened but I don’t blame you Harry. Ordinarily, I would go along with Albus on any of his plans but, because it involves you, Harry, and puts you in serious danger, I have reservations about it. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do now but play it by ear. If you need any help, Harry, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me or your mother. I know it isn’t exactly against the rules but you need every advantage you can get. If indeed this is part of some plan of Voldemort, then we cannot afford to take anything for granted. I’m glad Moody is there. He was one of my greatest instructors at the Auror Academy. He won’t be too bothered to follow the rules, so he can help you. That said, let me just say that I’m proud of you, Harry, for being a champion of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, no matter what the circumstances of your entering were. Good luck and do your best. That’s what a Potter does well.

Love,

Dad

P.S. I know your mum sent Albus a nasty howler. Don’t mind her. She just reacted badly to the news. It’s so bad that I’m sleeping on the living room couch for the next month.

“Oh, that’s so bad,” Rose said, having read the letter over Harry’s shoulder, “Poor Dad, that couch can get pretty uncomfortable after a few nights.”

Harry couldn’t help but have a bit of sympathy for his dad, who was getting partial blame for his son’s entry into the Tri-Wizard Cup. He was also heartened by his show of support. He hoped he wouldn’t disappoint him. Like any other boy, he felt the need for approval from his father.

“Well, maybe Mum will relent after she’s thought about it for a while,” Harry said, “After all, it really isn’t his fault.”

The Potter siblings looked at each other as they remembered several times when their father had been forced to sleep in the living room due to some transgression Lily had thought he had done.

“Well, maybe not,” Harry and Rose said together, before laughing. Ginny joined them in their laughter, having seen Harry’s memories of James’ previous escapades and read the letter through her bond with Harry.

Since it was a Sunday, Harry decided to spend the day relaxing and forgetting that in 23 days, he would have to face the first task. He generally succeeded, with Ginny’s help, of course.
Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear