Search:

SIYE Time:12:24 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter And The Twists Of Fate
By bengpotter31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Extreme Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 475
Summary: What if the fates let Harry's parents live that night he got his scar, plus gave him a younger sister and become friends with the Weasleys, especially Ron earlier. What would be different?
Hitcount: Story Total: 323318; Chapter Total: 9786







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 31: First Valentine’s Day together

Harry was nervous, more nervous than he had been during the Gryffindor-Slytherin match the previous Saturday, which he had won for Gryffindor by grabbing the snitch right under Draco Malfoy’s nose.

He hoped Ginny liked what he had planned for Valentine’s Day. As Valentine’s Day this year was on a Monday, Dumbledore had suspended classes in the afternoon and allowed the students to dispense with school robes during their morning classes.

The weather was unusual for February in that it was sunny and the last snowfall had been the week before so that the grounds were clear and the day warm.

Due to the fine weather, Dumbledore announced that the students eligible to go to Hogsmeade were allowed to visit the village after lunch. However, since Ginny was not of the age allowed to go to Hogsmeade, Harry couldn’t take her there for a regular date. So Harry had decided on an alternative, based on his Mum’s suggestion, for their Valentine’s Day date, which was also their first actual date.

Right now, Harry tried to keep from thinking about his actual plans as he dressed for the day since he didn’t want Ginny to know of his surprise yet. If he thought about it, she’d find out as they had gotten very good in reading each other’s emotions and thoughts.

Once he was dressed, in jeans and a black collared shirt, Harry went down into the Common Room to wait for Ginny. After only fifteen minutes, their Bond allowed him to feel her presence as she came down the stairs from the girls’ dormitories.

Harry was captivated by her beauty despite her young age and very little make-up. She was wearing a nice green turtleneck blouse (it was still cold outside) and a light yellow skirt, with a pair of sandals on her feet.

Harry was pleasantly surprised and pleased to see that she had the pendant he gave her for Christmas around her neck.

“Good morning, Ginny,” Harry smiled as he mentally greeted her while she was walking down the stairs, “You look great. Thanks for wearing the pendant.”

Ginny smiled back, blushing a bit, “Thanks. I’m glad to wear it. You look great, too.”

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Gin,” Harry said, walking up to her as soon as she reached the bottom of the stairs and giving her a quick kiss on the lips. Luckily, Ron wasn’t in the room.

Ginny smiled and gave him another kiss, “Happy Valentine’s Day, Harry.” She pulled something out of her pocket, “and this is for you.”

“Thanks,” Harry said, taking the box carefully wrapped in paper that was red studded with white hearts. He felt a twinge of disappointment from her when he didn’t give one in return. He restrained himself and kept his thoughts firmly on the gift she had given him, “I’ll open it later. Come on, let’s get to the Great Hall. I’m starving.”

She shook her head, but took his hand and they walked down to breakfast hand in hand as was their normal way. The others were already in the Great Hall when they arrived.

While they were eating, the mail owls came. Among them was a large eagle owl that came up to Ginny and dropped a bouquet of flowers and a wrapped box into her lap.

Ginny looked at the bouquet and saw it was a dozen red roses. There was a card among the roses with her name on it.

She looked at Harry. “Do you have anything to do with this, Harry?”

“I might.”
Harry said to her, “Why don’t you read the card?”

Ginny opened the card and read it.

Dearest Gin,

I hope you weren’t disappointed earlier when you didn’t get a gift from
me the moment we met in the Common Room. I also hope you like these
flowers and what’s in the box. But that’s not the end of your gifts. You’ll
see later. For now, open the box. It’s the wrapped thing.
Happy Valentine’s Day.

Love,
Harry


Ginny smiled up at Harry and gave him a quick kiss. Then she unwrapped and opened the box. Inside was silver bracelet with three golden charms on it — a quaffle, a cat and a heart.

Ginny threw her arms around Harry, “Oh, Harry, I love it.” “Thanks, Harry, its great.”

“You’re welcome, Gin,” Harry said, returning her embrace. “I’m glad you like it.”

He pulled back, looked in her lovely chocolate brown eyes and gave her a quick kiss. He wanted to prolong it but Ron was already at the table, watching them carefully.

“Come on, Harry,” Ginny said, handing him the bracelet, “Help me put it on.”

Harry took the bracelet and carefully put it on her left hand, fumbling for a moment with the clasp.

Ginny admired the bracelet for a moment then turned to Harry. She smiled at him, “Well? Aren’t you going to open yours?”

Harry smiled back, “All right, if you insist.”

She playfully slapped his arm as he ripped the paper off and opened the box. Inside was a silver necklace with a golden snitch suspended from it.

Harry could feel the same apprehension and fear coming from Ginny that he had felt at Christmas. He grinned and took the necklace out of the box, holding it gently.

“It’s great, Gin,” Harry said, still grinning, “I like it.” He then put it around his neck, making sure the snitch pendant was resting outside his shirt.

He turned to Ginny, “Thanks, Gin. This is really nice. I’ll always wear it.”

“Even in the shower?”

Harry grinned, “Even in the shower.”

Then, Ron yelled at him, “Oi, Harry, come on or we’ll be late for class. Hey! That hurt.” He said the last to Hermione while rubbing his arm where the bushy-haired girl had hit him. Rose and Neville shook their heads at Ron’s insensitivity while Ti just looked on a little confused.

Ginny glared at Ron for a moment before turning back to Harry, “So, see you at lunch?”

“Yeah, but not here,” Harry said, smiling. “Meet me in the clearing beside Hagrid’s hut after your morning class is through.”

Ginny looked at him curiously, “Oh? What have you planned, Potter?”

“Tut, tut, Miss Weasley.”
Harry said, smiling, “you’ll find out, and no mental peeking. I won’t let you know before the time is right.”

They shared one quick kiss and went their separate ways. Harry caught up with Neville, Ron and Hermione heading for Charms while Ginny joined Rose to head for Transfiguration. Ti had already joined his roommates to go to Potions.

As they walked, Rose and Ginny admired the bracelet on Ginny’s wrist.

Rose shook her head, “I can’t believe my brother had it in him to be so sweet.”

Ginny giggled, “Well, to be honest, neither did I.”

“Hey! I resent that.”

“Harry! No eavesdropping! This is a private conversation.”

“Oh, all right. I just missed you.”

“Already?”
Ginny giggled, “Well, I’ll see you at lunch for that surprise you have planned.”

“Oh, no. You’re not getting me to think about it so you can get a hint. I’ll see you.”


Ginny felt him turn to concentrate as Professor Flitwick started to talk to explain their lesson for the day.

“So,” Rose said, grinning, “what did my brother have to say for himself?”

Ginny smiled, “He just misses me.”

“You know,” Rose said, “It gets a bit weird when you’re talking to him without saying a word, even to someone like me who knows a bit about it.”

“Oh, Rose,” Ginny said, “I’m so sorry. We haven’t told you what Dumbledore told Harry and me that night. It was just so strange and…well, I guess we owe you that much, keeping what you know a secret. I’ll ask Harry later about it.”

“It’s all right,” Rose said, smiling a little, “I’m glad you and Harry have gotten together. I’ve seen the way you looked at him for years and noticed he was looking the same way at you for several months now. I hope you two have a nice lunch, just don’t sit too near the lake. Oh, and don’t eat the apples.”

As they had reached the Transfiguration classroom and it looked like McGonagall was already there, Ginny couldn’t question Rose on what she meant by that.


Later, after Charms, the third year Gryffindors walked down the stairs, heading for the Great Hall. Harry continued on towards the Entrance Hall, walking fast as he wanted get to Hagrid’s Hut before Ginny.

“Hey, Harry,” Ron called, “Where are you going? The Great Hall is this way.”

“I’m not going to the Great Hall for lunch, Ron,” Harry called back.

“But I heard Ginny tell you to meet up for lunch,” Ron said, starting to walk towards Harry. Hermione and Neville reached out to grab one arm each to hold him back..

“Hey, what are you holding me for?” Ron asked.

“I think Harry has something special planned for your sister for lunch, Ron,” Neville said.

“What!?” Ron said, then he turned to Harry, “Hey, what have you got up your sleeve, Potter?” His face was turning red.

“That’s none of your business, Ron,” Hermione said.

“It’s bloody well my business,” Ron said turning to Hermione now, “She’s my sister and I have to look out for her.”

Hermione glared at him, “She may be your sister, Ronald, but she’s her own person. She alone should decide whom to be with.”

Hermione placed her hands on her hips as she continued talking, “I thought you were okay with Harry. You’ve known him almost all his life and he’s known her just as long. He wouldn’t hurt her or take advantage of her. He’s just got something special planned for her today. So, lay off, Ron.”

Ron looked at her, a bit embarrassed now, “Um, well, you have a point, Hermione.” then he turned back to Harry, “Sorry, mate. I guess I’m still not used to it yet. Have a good time, okay?”

Harry smiled, “Thanks, Ron. I know you still have doubts about Ginny and I. I appreciate you trying to protect her and I promise you I’ll do the same. I love her and will do whatever I need to do to keep her safe.”

With a final nod, Ron turned and walked away. Neville gave Harry a thumbs up before following. Hermione smiled and waved to Harry before doing the same.

Harry grinned as he returned the wave. He then walked out the castle’s front doors and headed for Hagrid’s hut. When he reached the large structure, he knocked on the door.

After a few seconds, the door was opened by Hagrid, who beamed as he saw Harry.

“’arry, it’s great ta see ye.”

Harry grinned, “Hi, Hagrid, oh sorry, Professor.”

Hagrid laughed, “Oh, now. Yeh can lay off on the professor bit when we aren’ in class.”

“That’s okay, professor,” Harry said, “I love calling you that. Now, um, did my package arrive?” Harry struggled to keep from thinking of the contents of the package.

“Yeah,” Hagrid said, “It’s here, arrived just an hour ago, carried by Hedwig. I’m guessin’ this has ta do with Valentine’s Day an’ a certain redhead.” He wagged his eyebrows and winked.

Harry laughed, “Yeah, something like that.” He entered the hut and spotted the wicker basket on the table. “All right, I’ll just wait for Ginny to arrive.”

“I’m here, Harry.” Ginny called to him in his mind, “Now, what are you planning and what’s with the basket.”

Harry groaned. He’d have to concentrate better next time. He went outside with the basket and saw Ginny standing with a smirk on her face.

“All right, Ginny,” Harry said, “You win. Since you can’t go to Hogsmeade yet, we’re having a picnic lunch near the lake. I think near the water’s edge would be a good spot.”

“Sure, Harry,” Ginny said, smiling, “That’s a wonderful idea. You know that I love picnics.”

“Er, yeah,” Harry said, “That’s why I decided on this.”

“Wait a minute, Harry,” Ginny said, “Hold that thought. I think someone else suggested the picnic, since you just mentally slapped yourself for not remembering that.”

“Er, no, no,” Harry said, much too quickly, “whatever gave you that idea?”

“Tut, tut, Mr. Potter,” Ginny said, shaking a finger at him, “You know you can’t hide much from me now with this bond we share. We share our thoughts now, so don’t try to hide things from me.”

Harry deflated, “All right, all right. I couldn’t figure out where to take you for our first Valentine’s Day since you weren’t allowed into Hogsmeade yet, as I told you earlier. I, um, actually asked my Mum and she suggested taking you on a picnic on the school grounds. Really, Gin, I just wanted you to have a good time today, being a special day for couples and all that.”

Ginny smiled and gave him a quick kiss, “That’s fine, Harry. I’m touched that you wanted me to have a special day. From what I hear, most blokes just give their girlfriends a box of chocolate and flowers. But you wanted to do something more. Thank you.” She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a deeper kiss. He, in turn, wrapped his arms around her waist and returned the kiss with equal enthusiasm. They would have continued that way if someone rather large hadn’t cleared his voice.

They jumped apart and looked at Hagrid in embarrassment. Their friend was grinning beneath his beard.

“Sorry, yeh two,” Hagrid said, “but if yeh go on any longer, yeh both may pass out from lack o’ air. Plus yer food may get cold, in spite o’ the preserving charm that’s on it. Go on now, before it gets late.”

“Thanks, Hagrid,” Harry said, ‘I’ll see you in class.”

“Yeah, thank you,” Ginny, “I can’t wait to have you next year.”

Hagrid blushed as he waved them off.

Harry and Ginny walked hand in hand toward the lake. Once there, Harry moved to go down to the lakeshore where a few other people were walking, but Ginny pulled him back.

“Wait, Harry,” Ginny said, “Why don’t we have our picnic over there by that large oak tree?”

Harry raised an eyebrow at her, “Why, Gin? It may be much better by the water.”

Just then, a wave of water splashed up on the beach, drenching the people there who ran back shrieking. Out on the water, the tentacles of the lake’s resident giant squid could be seen waving back and forth, agitating the water.

“Whoa,” Harry said, “Maybe you’re right.” “Let’s set up under that large oak.”

Ginny nodded, a bit unnerved by the action of the squid.

They moved to the tree. Harry pulled a blanket out of the basket and spread it on the ground, in the shadow cast by the tree. Then, he and Ginny sat down side by side on the blanket. By now, most of the people outside had gone in to have lunch.

Harry began removing the contents of the basket and spreading it out on the blanket. Each item was placed in a covered plate and was still warm. There was a loaf of freshly baked bread, steak and kidney pie, roast beef, lamb chops, mashed potatoes, treacle tart, shepherd’s pie, pumpkin juice and two rosy red apples.

Ginny smiled. “Harry, this is great. How’d you get all this food together?”

Harry looked down at the blanket to hide his blush. “Er, I got my mum to help. I think she cooked most of it. I really wanted this to turn out well.”

Ginny grinned. “That’s great, Harry. I’m touched that you asked your mum for help. Most blokes would die before they do such a thing.”

Harry grinned and handed her an empty plate. Taking a fork and knife each, they then dug into the food. They talked quietly while they ate. Soon, there was very little left on the plates.

Then Harry reached for one of the apples. He placed it on a plate and cut it open with a knife.

“Yuck!” he said, moving away from it. The inside of the apple was crawling with worms.

Ginny got the other apple and sliced it open. It too had worms in it.

“So, that’s what she meant by ‘don’t eat the apples’,” she muttered under her breath.

“Who said that, Gin?” Harry asked.

“Never mind, Harry,” Ginny said, “It isn’t important right now. What is important is what you want to do now.”

“All right, Gin,” Harry said, “How about relaxing right here?” He grinned and leaned back against the tree. Ginny moved beside him and leaned her head on his shoulder. Harry then placed one arm around her and she snuggled against him.

“That was really great food, Harry,” Ginny said, “The only one who can rival my mum in cooking is yours.”

“Yeah, Gin. That’s true. I don’t know how I’d have turned out without my mum’s cooking.”

“This had been a really great day, Harry. You’ve made it really special.”
She leaned over and started to kiss him.

Harry returned the kiss and deepened it. He wrapped both arms around her, pulling her even closer to him. They stayed under that tree for the rest of the afternoon, alternately talking and snogging.

When they noticed that it was getting dark, they placed the plates and blanket back into the basket and returned to the castle. Harry brought the basket to the owlery to have Hedwig bring it back to Potter Manor then they went to the Great Hall for dinner, which was another feast.

Harry went to bed feeling satisfied and pleased that the day had turned out well. However, the next day wasn’t so great.

During divination, Hermione was insulted by Professor Trelawney and left in a huff after knocking aside one of the crystal balls. After the class, Harry found the crystal ball at the bottom steps of the stairs and decided to return it to the classroom. Ron and Neville declined to accompany him.

When Harry got back to the Divination classroom, he placed the crystal ball on one of the tables. As he turned around, he ran into Professor Trelawney who had a strange look on her face. She suddenly grabbed him and said in a hollow voice.

“It will happen tonight. The Dark Lord will return tonight. With the aid of the Vengeful Servant, he rises again, more terrible than before. Beware to the Chosen One for this will allow the False One to return for revenge on him.”

Trelawney then coughed and looked at Harry, “Oh, sorry, my boy. Is there anything you want?” she asked.

“Er, no, no,” Harry answered, stunned and troubled by what had happened, “Sorry, professor, must get to my next class.”

Harry hurried out, pondering what had happened.

“Harry? What was that?” Ginny called to him.

“I don’t know, Ginny. It was really strange. I’ve never seen that happen before.”

“Do you want to tell Dumbledore about it?”

“Um, maybe, but not tonight. I want to think about it. Maybe we can tell him tomorrow.”

“Well, all right, Harry.”
Ginny said, though she seemed a bit reluctant to do so.

Harry didn’t answer her but keep wondering what Trelawney had said. What did it mean? Was that a prophecy?

Unfortunately, except for the part about the Dark Lord, which they assumed was Voldemort, Harry couldn’t figure it out what Trelawney’s words meant.

Who was the Chosen One? Who was the Vengeful Servant? Who was the False One who wanted revenge?

These questions followed Harry to sleep that night.
Reviews 475
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear