Search:

SIYE Time:13:17 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Bull's Eye
By Professor Scroll

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 46
Summary: **February Dumbledore Silver Trinket Award winner for Angst.**

Harry had stubbornly maintained his 'emotional' distance from Ginny while Hermione, Ron and he had searched for and destroyed the Horcruxes. As the lonely days passed, and Valentine's Day drew near, Harry grew to realise that his heart knew what was important, and that Ginny might just be safer by his side.
Hitcount: Story Total: 10198
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: The wonderful world of Harry Potter belongs to the wildly creative JKR.

My only reward is your reviews.


Bull’s-eye



The Christmas holiday was behind them and the days were lengthening as January snow melted into February slush. Where had the time gone? Seventeen-year-old Harry Potter was strolling down the drafty first floor corridor on his way to Charms. Lost in thought and so tired that even if the Grim were chasing him, he couldn’t force himself to move any faster. He was already late and -- not for the first time -- he wondered if going to lessons was worth the effort.

After the murder of Professor Dumbledore by one of his most trusted associates, Severus Snape, last June, Harry hadn’t believed that he would ever walk these hallowed hallways again without his grief welling out of control. He now knew that hard work and time could lessen his pain over even the murders of his beloved Godfather and advisor.

His steps faltered. The agony of the Headmaster’s funeral haunted his dreams by night and dogged his footsteps by day, especially when as now, he was exhausted from his search for the Horcruxes. ‘If only I could get some rest, then maybe I would feel like celebrating last night’s triumph’, he thought, leaning dejectedly against the cold stones that lined his route.

A triumph? Last night’s debacle was anything but that. Yes, he, Hermione and Ron had finally found and destroyed the heavy gold locket that once belonged to Salazar Slytherin. But, at what cost? The last glimpse of his best friends was of Medi-Wizards hoisting their litters, before they disappeared when the Healers Portkeyed their burdens to St Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Their wounds were too extensive for them to return to the Hospital wing at Hogwarts and Madam Pomfrey as he had done.

His clenched hand pounded the stone wall beside his bowed head as memories pushed their way to the front, jockeying for supremacy. Dumbledore had died believing that they had retrieved Salazar Slytherin’s locket from the cave that night. He hadn’t lived long enough to discover the ruse. The locket that he had swallowed poison to acquire had been a fake left by Sirius’ brother Regulus.

Sirius had told Harry about his whining, pitiful brother whom his bigoted parents favoured because he shared their ‘pureblood’ prejudices. In his short-lived quest for glory, Regulus had joined the Death Eaters only to find that the Dark Lord wasn’t worth following. To his credit, Regulus had tried to break away, but no one could stop being a Death Eater except through death. Sirius had believed that Lord Voldemort had killed his brother personally.

In the trio’s search for Slytherin’s ornate locket, Harry had discovered the truth. Regulus had stolen the locket before running to hide in Number twelve Grimmauld Place. His Mum, the foul-mouthed Witch whose portrait Remus had finally found a way to remove from the foyer and destroy, had evicted her son for becoming a Blood Traitor.

Regulus left his ancestral home willingly; however, that wasn’t his Mum’s final betrayal. When she received an Owl from him asking for her forgiveness, Mrs Black notified Belatrix Lestrange. Bella, a distant cousin a few times removed, was the only family member she still respected, and she informed her where Regulus was hiding.

Unbeknownst to Mrs Black, Regulus had hidden the locket containing a piece of The Dark Lord’s soul in plain sight on a shelf in the upstairs parlour before he left. He knew that with the Wards around the Black family mansion, Lord Voldemort would never be able to access it, and he hoped with his brother being in the Order of the Phoenix, that Sirius just might find it and destroy it.

If only Harry had remembered seeing the locket the summer before his Fifth year, he might have saved months of searching. When he finally figured out who R.A.B. was, everything fell into place, and he remembered seeing a gold locket with an ‘S’ carved into the stone when they were cleaning the parlour. Hermione Ron and Harry had Portkeyed to Grimmauld Place only to find that Mundungus Fletcher had purloined Slytherin’s locket along with all of the silver crested stemware that Harry caught him with the year before.

It had taken months of painstaking work following Dung’s trail to locate his fence who just happened to be Mr Burke. He owned Borgin and Burke’s, the store in Knockturn Alley filled with dark magical objects where so long ago Harry had witnessed Lucius Malfoy ridding himself of trinkets that could bring the Ministry of Magic down on his head.

The trail grew cold after that. Harry feared that they might never find the locket. However, contrary to popular belief, for once he was lucky. Following Hermione dejectedly through Dervish and Banges during the last Hogsmeade visit, he found Salazar Slytherin’s locket on display. Mr Dervish couldn’t tell him anything about the locket, except that his partner had discovered it at an estate sale of a Wizarding family who Death Eaters had murdered over Christmas. Sensing the magical power emanating from the trinket, Mr Banges had purchased it, but had lost interest when his research faltered because he couldn’t open the locket.

Who would have thought the last intact Horcrux would have fallen into his hands so easily? Harry just sauntered up to the cashbox with the locket dangling carelessly from his fingers by the heavy chain and with a story about giving it to his ‘girlfriend’ for Valentines Day. He purchased Salazar Slytherin’s locket for one hundred twenty-seven Galleons, three Sickles and two Knuts, without the proprietor ever realising the locket’s significance.

The war with Voldemort had already been costly. However, the stakes were enormous, as the entire Wizarding World was at risk. The price of the golden locket was merely a pittance compared to the long list of injured or lost during the battle to destroy his Horcruxes. Ron and Hermione injured, Professor Dumbledore, Regulus Black and countless others murdered. The list could go on without end.

A warm hand settling on his shoulder shook him from his reverie. “Harry, are you all right?” asked Ginny.

Her voice sent arrows of pain zinging through him. Giving her up had been the single most difficult decision in his life, and now, he was going to have to add more heartbreak when he told her about Ron and Hermione. Wondering if she would ever forgive him, he summoned the strength to face her. Seeing her lovely face, Harry ordered himself not to give in to the demands of his heart and embrace her. He pushed away from the wall and stood straight. “I’m fine, Ginny. But I need to talk with you.”

Concern shadowed her eyes as she said, “What’s up?”

She looked so frail standing in front of him. Her big brown eyes steady, the only evidence of her nervousness were the pearly-white teeth worrying her bottom lip. Unbidden, the memory of him nibbling on that same lip while coaxing her mouth to open for his tongue, sent heat shimmering throughout his body. ‘Merlin, he loved her so much!’ However, the only way he knew to keep her safe was to deny his feelings. “You weren’t at breakfast.”

One eyebrow rose in derision, her grin wicked. “Really?” she drawled. “Harry, are you keeping tabs on me? I’m not your little sister.”

Harry felt himself flush. He had to agree with her, thankfully. He was not harbouring brotherly feelings for her. Far from it! What he wanted to share with Ginny was not the normal activities of siblings. Shaking his head to dislodge the embarrassing pictures that his thoughts had conjured, he said, “I know that. I have something to tell you.”

“Oh. Sorry!” Not looking contrite at all, her grin widened.

After weeks of Hermione bombarding him with all the reasons why Ginny needed to know and understand the dangers in their future, although Ron strongly disagreed, Harry ruefully sided with Hermione. He couldn’t stand being at odds with her, even though they were no longer going out. Therefore, after Fleur and Bill had left for their honeymoon and before the trio had left for Godric’s Hollow, Harry had related everything to her except for the fact that he loved her to distraction. “We destroyed the final Horcrux last night.” He whispered, scanning up and down the corridor for anyone that might be listening.

Ginny flung her slim arms around his neck. “Oh Harry, that’s wonderful. Why aren’t you ecstatic?”

Without thinking, Harry reacted and crushed her against him to return the embrace. Somewhere deep inside, he knew that wrapped in her love was where he belonged. For a short while, he ignored the distracting thoughts careening through his mind. He pushed aside the warning that he was putting her in danger and he let her love heal some of his worst mental agony. Knowing that she still loved him, he wasn’t being fair to either of them, so honour bound he regretfully ended the impromptu hug.

Harry took her hand and braced himself for her anger and fear that would pour over him when he told her the rest of what had happened during the night. He stared into her luminous eyes praying that the light didn’t dim completely with his next sentence. “Ron — Hermione and Ron, they’re at - ” he swallowed to remove the lump lodged in his throat.

How he hated this!

He hated himself!

Why was he always the bearer of bad news? He didn’t want to be the one to tell Ginny. Explaining to her that the dangerous unfair quest he had dragged her brother and best friend on had put them in hospital was the second most difficult thing he had ever done. The first was breaking up with her.

Compassion filled her gaze and one small hand rose to cover his mouth. With a wobbly smile that arrowed into his heart, she said, “In St Mungo’s,” she finished for him. “I know, Harry. Mum sent me an Owl. They are both going to be all right. The Healers were able to save his eye.”

“Oh!” Tears that he hadn’t realised were waiting to fall, began to dampen his cold cheeks as he slid down the rough wall into a sitting position and dropped his head into his hands. They were going to be all right! Knowing him and loving him hadn’t ruined their lives. At least not yet!

“Harry?” Ginny knelt beside him and gently pulled him into another soothing embrace. As if she held a small child, she crooned softly in his ear, her gentle fingers feathering his messy black hair back from his scarred brow. “There, there luv. It’s going to be okay. Everything will work out.”

Over and over, she repeated the same words while rocking him. His tears finally spent, Harry’s thoughts turned towards the future. Their future. The young woman holding him so tenderly would make a loving and nurturing mother some day, and in the deepest recesses of his heart, he hoped that he would be there beside her. Nevertheless, he needed to lock that dream away until after he destroyed Voldemort.

Pushing away from her warmth, he said, “Thanks Ginny. I’m sorry I cried all over you. You must think I’m the biggest prat.”

“Well, maybe not the biggest,” she quipped, an impish grin gentling her words.

The bell sounded, echoing through the corridor. With a cheery wave, Ginny turned and left him standing in the hallway watching her walk away from him, as doors opened and the occupants of the rooms spilled out. Soon the throngs of students had swallowed her lithe form and sighing, he dejectedly turned to make his way back to the Gryffindor common room.

~~ * * * ~~


It had been two days since Ginny had comforted him in the first floor corridor and Harry couldn’t get her gentleness and compassion out of his mind. Two endlessly glorious days of spending time with her alone without Ron and Hermione as buffers because they were still in St Mungo’s. Thank Merlin, they were due back today. He wasn’t positive that he could handle another night like the last one.

Any other Witch would be treating him with disdain after dumping her in such a public way. Countless times, he had witnessed couples breaking up, and rarely did they stay friends, or at least not until they each found someone else. That wouldn’t happen in their case, at least not for him. Harry didn’t want anyone else. He wanted Ginny! He just couldn’t be with her. As much as he wanted her to wait for him, he knew that he might not survive his last battle with Voldemort. That was another reason he had let Ginny go. If he died, he hoped that it would be less painful for her if they weren’t going out.

He knew why he hadn’t moved on to someone else, but that didn’t explain why she hadn’t. It wasn’t that she didn’t have the opportunity. He saw the way too many blokes looked at her as if she were sweets from Honeydukes. Although she was never rude, he was thankful that she had yet to go out with anyone else since his and Ginny’s break-up. Yet, he knew that he wasn’t being fair.

Ginny hadn’t changed the way she behaved towards him at all. She treated him as a friend, with care and loving concern. He would always remember how she had looked at Bill and Fleur’s wedding. With her colouring, to him at least, Ginny had been more beautiful than the bride. Oh, Fleur was magnificent with her long blonde hair and big blue eyes, but no one could compare to Ginny when she was happy. She had swept her vibrant red hair up into a cascade of curls flowing down her back like a waterfall. Her long gown shimmered with gold-dust, but it dimmed in comparison to the light glowing in her eyes.

He had never been to a wedding before, Magical or Muggle. He hadn’t known what to expect and was quite nervous. Especially since he would be seeing Ginny again, and wasn’t positive how to act around her. Acting naturally as if they were the best of friends, Ginny had just grinned up at him, her big brown eyes snapping with amusement. ‘Have fun,’ she told him. ‘That’s the most important thing.’ Later on, she had corralled him into a dance by telling him that she had orders to be sociable and dance with everyone present. While they danced, he had eagerly lost a part of his heart and soul to her, as he willingly drowned in her luminescent brown eyes.

This term, she still sought Ron, Hermione and him out for most meals. She sat with them while she did her homework and because Ron had finally faced his feelings for Hermione, she had kept him company when they snuck off to snog. Her smiles were welcoming and warm, and each one pierced the emptiness of his heart with an arrow of regret.

Last night had been sheer torture. He had been curled up in his favourite chair before the Gryffindor fire, concentrating on ignoring the pain in his head. With just a glance into his eyes, she had known that his scar was hurting him and that it had caused a blinding headache. Quietly, she had moved behind his chair and reaching out, she had massaged his scalp and forehead. Her small soft hands were surprisingly strong, her fingers supple as they soothed away his tension and pain until he fell asleep. He wasn’t sure how long he had slept, but when he opened his eyes the throbbing in his head was gone, and she was silently climbing the circular stairs towards her room.

She must have sensed his gaze, because she paused long enough to glance over her shoulder to smile at him. Like a freezing man, he gathered the warmth of her smile around him to ward off the dark night’s chill, all the while wishing he could give in and call her back to his side where she belonged.

~~ * * * ~~


“Harry, just ask someone. It’ll be more fun if you have a date,” said Ron. It was the fourteenth of February, Valentines Day.

Harry shook his head. He could feel Ron’s eyes boring into his back as he turned to get dressed. “No, Ron, we’ve been over this before.” He had never celebrated Valentines Day. In fact, the only time he had even received a card had been his Second year when Ginny had hired a Dwarf dressed as Cupid to send him a singing Valentine. Now, more mature, he could look back on the scene with fondness, but at the time, he had wished to be stricken dead.

He would gladly celebrate Valentines Day if he and Ginny were still a couple. Unbeknownst to Ron, he even had her gift. Over the summer, when they had visited Diagon Alley before leaving for Godric’s Hollow, he had stepped into Eeylops Owl Emporium to purchase treats for Hedwig. He had been amazed to find a beautiful male Snowy Owl for sale who would make a perfect mate for Hedwig. Impulsively, he had purchased him for Ginny. Writing a quick note to Hagrid, he had asked him to keep the owl safe until he could give it to her. After the bird had flown off, Harry came back to earth and remembered that he had broken up with her.

Ron sighed deeply. “Well then, you’ll just have to spend the day with only Hermione and me. We’re not doing anything too romantic.”

Laughing hollowly, Harry said, “Get real. I am not going to be a third wheel with you and Hermione.”

“So what are you going to do?”

“Work on that essay for McGonagall, I guess. I haven’t even started it yet.”

“Don’t mention it,” Ron groaned. “If Hermione finds out we’re not finished, she’ll order me to stay here with you.”

“And spoil Valentines Day? I doubt that.”

“Harry. This is Hermione we’re talking about.”

“Oh, yeah. I won’t tell if you don’t.”

Dressed and hungry, they clattered down the steps and through the portrait hole. Ron was supposed to meet Hermione in a little over an hour for their trip to Hogsmeade. Striding quickly along the almost deserted hallways, they rounded a corner and almost knocked over Ginny and Seamus. “Sorry,” Ron said as he steadied his little sister.

Punching Ron lightly in the arm, Ginny grinned. “What’s your big hurry? As if I couldn’t guess. Food?” she asked, giggling.

“Hey, it’s been hours since we’ve eaten. I’m a growing boy,” Ron explained. He tried to look hurt but his acting skills were sorely lacking and a grin peeked its way through. “What are you doing?”

Harry was watching Seamus. At Ron’s question, a blush crept up Seamus’ cheeks. Harry’s eyes narrowed as he searched Ginny’s face for her own Weasley blush. Coolly, she replied, “Not that it’s any of your business, big brother, but Seamus gave me a beautiful Valentine card.”

With a jerky glance at Harry, Seamus said, “But she turned me down flat.”

Ginny placed one small hand on Seamus’ cheek and smiled up at him. Pain coursed through Harry as if she had put him under the Cruciatus Curse. “Well of course I did. You still like Parvati and you should give the card to her.”

“Great, are you done?” At Ginny’s nod, he continued, “Then let’s go eat.” Ron grabbed Ginny by her arm and proceeded down the corridor. Ron being so much taller dragged her along.

To keep up, she needed to take running footsteps so that she wouldn’t fall. Exasperated, Ginny gasped, “What’s your hurry?”

Checking his watch he said, “I have less than an hour to meet Hermione. I won’t have time to eat if we don’t hurry. C’mon.”

“Ron, slow down,” Harry said, hurrying in Ron’s wake. “There’s plenty of time.”

Entering the Great Hall, Ron finally slowed. “Right. We’re here anyway.” With Ginny still in tow, he hurried down the House table until he found enough room for everyone. He sat and picking up his fork he said, “Let’s eat.”

Ginny shrugged and sat next to her brother, Harry and Seamus settled across from them. As Ron filled his plate, she picked up the pitcher of milk and poured a glass for Ron and then, one eyebrow raised in question she looked at Seamus who nodded. After filling his goblet, she faced Harry. “Would you like some milk, Harry?” she asked.

Lost in the tiny smile she wore, Harry didn’t understand a word she said. As he watched, her eyes began to glow as a teasing grin curved her lips even further. He stared, as she spoke, mesmerized by the movement of her lips. Ron’s foot connecting with his shin shook him from his trance. Giving her a lopsided grin of embarrassment, he apologized. “Sorry, Ginny. What did you say?”

A giggle trilled musically from her mouth turned up in a silly grin. Raising the pitcher slightly, she said, “Milk. Would you like some milk?”

“Yes please.” Harry glanced at his dorm mates. Neither of them was paying him and Ginny any attention. Ron was back to stuffing his face as quickly as he could chew and swallow, while Seamus had just noticed that Parvati was sitting a few seats away.

Harry managed to get through breakfast without another embarrassing incident, although, it had been touch and go a few times. By the end of the meal, he was exhausted from trying to control his reaction to her. She could open a stationary shop with the number of Valentine cards that her admirers sent. With each one of them, his heart would plummet as she serenely scanned the written message, only to soar when she turned to thank them but at the same time decline their invitation.

As she placed the new card on the ever growing pile, she would bestow another smile on him. He wanted to leave, but was afraid that one of these times she might say yes. Dread filled him each time another prat with hope filled eyes approached her with candy or a card. Harry glared. His eyes as sharp as Hippogriff talons he glowered at the offending missives as he waited for her to accept someone’s invitation to Hogsmeade. He loathed each and every, pink and red declaration of love that sent poison darts to wound his already troubled heart.

Ginny finished eating breakfast and wiped her mouth with a napkin before she stood, and began gathering her belongings. Harry’s hands fisted as she carefully stacked her mail and wished that he could have sent her one as well. As she turned and walked away, he wrote the words across his bleeding heart. Words he knew that he could never tell her.


Dear Ginny,

When I look at you, the beauty of your smile lightens my heart. To me, your laughter has greater healing power than Phoenix song. Your hair is the glorious colour of the setting sun, while the brilliance of your eyes rivals the twinkling stars at night.

With love,
Harry


Harry sighed deeply. As much as she meant to him, keeping her safe meant so much more. He would honour his love for her by standing steadfast and true to his decision to keep her safe

~~ * * * ~~


Blue skies and the unusually warm weather carried with them the promise of spring. With Hogsmeade beckoning, students shrugged off the yoke of learning and as couples or in groups, they hurried into the village. For the younger students without permission to visit Hogsmeade, Hogwart’s House Elves were providing sweets in the Great Hall

Except for the scratch of his quill across the parchment, the Gryffindor common room had been as silent as a tomb since right after lunch. His shoulders were stiff from the many hours he crouched over the table writing the essay for Professor McGonagall. Harry dipped his quill into the inkpot one final time. With a flourish, he signed the document and blew softly on the wet ink to help dry it. Using books at either end of the four foot scroll to keep it from rolling before the ink set, he leaned back in the chair.

With relief, he tossed the quill aside and flexing his fingers, he raised his now empty hand to the back of his neck to massage it. His eyes closed as he rolled his head from side to side to relieve some of the tension. Then, like a panther, he stretched out his long legs under the table and reaching as high as he could, he leaned back in the chair and arched his back. Feeling his spine pop and realign, he groaned with heartfelt relief.

Slowly, Harry sat up and tested the ink on the scroll with one finger. Finding it dry, he slipped one end of the parchment from beneath the nearest book and meticulously began to roll it up. When finished, he secured it with a short piece of string. He had just gathered his far-flung belongings into a neat stack when the portrait hole burst open, the picture rattling in its frame as it bounced against the corridor’s granite walls. Ron and Hermione tumbled through gasping for breath, closely followed by Neville, Colin and Dean.

In one fluid motion, Harry leapt from his chair and pulled out his wand as they rushed over to stand panting in front of him. Through the open doorway, Harry heard frightened shrieks splitting the air and the pounding of feet along the passageway. Fearing an attack on Hogwarts, Harry asked, “What happened?

Their wheezing making it difficult to understand, they began to gasp out their story. “They - ” Ron’s arms were rapidly drawing pictures in the air as he tried to find enough breath to finish his sentence. “Attacked!”

Hermione nodded. “We tried, Harry.”

“Too many!” Neville slumped into a chair. Shaking his head mournfully, his voice barely above a whisper, he repeated. “Too many.”

“In Hogs - ” Dean gasped, stopping to fill his lungs, he finished with, “meade.”

As more students joined them each trying to explain, Harry raised his wand and fired off sparks to get their attention. When the only sounds were laboured panting and the shuffling of feet as everyone pressed even nearer to him, Harry asked, “Did Death Eaters attack Hogsmeade?”

As one, they shook their heads and Hermione whispered, “No Harry, Dementors!”

His eyes locked with Hermione’s. “Dementors attacked Hogsmeade?” Harry repeated. “Why?”

“I’ve got an idea,” Hermione began only for Harry to interrupt.

In his mind, Harry relived Dementors attacking Sirius and him beside the lake. “Was anyone kissed?”

“No Harry. It’s worse than that.”

“What could be worse?” Horror filled his eyes, as he again saw Sirius die and his soul leave his body.

“You know that the mists are because they’ve been breeding, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“They took a few students with them.” Hermione gulped. Almost apologetically, she continued, “I think they plan on using them as prey to teach their young how to feed.” Her voice drying up until Harry could barely hear the last word.

Worriedly, he scanned the throng of Gryffindors gathered around him, trying to identify those who were missing. Seamus and Lavender where holding up a younger girl who Harry didn’t know, but from her size she had to be a Third year. Weaving his way through the crowd, he leaned over to talk with her. “What is your name?”

Her face grey with shock, she sobbed, “Sylvia.”

“Are you hurt?” Harry asked as gently as possible.

“No, just so sad.” Her tears running unchecked down her plump cheeks.

Harry patted her arm. “That’s from the Dementors. You’ll feel better soon. Was anyone else with you?”

She nodded, trying to pull herself together for her friends. “My dorm mates.”

“What happened to them?” He wanted to get the information quickly. If Hermione was correct, they needed rescued fast.

“Those,” she stopped. Her voice quivering with fear, she said, “Those Dementors surrounded us and grabbed them.”

Harry nodded, not knowing how to comfort her. “How did you get away?”

“An older student with red hair rushed over and fought them. She pushed me away.”

At the mention of a red haired girl, a premonition of fear filled Harry. Presenting a calmness that he didn’t feel, he continued. “Then what happened?”

“They grabbed her instead and left.”

“Do you know who this Witch was?” Even as he asked, he was dreading her response. ‘Merlin, please don’t let it be Ginny.’

“No, I only saw her from behind.”

“Thank you.” Harry stood. “Does anyone have any chocolate? Professor Lupin always said that it helped restore your equilibrium after a Dementor attack.”

“I have some,” said Lavender. “I’ll see that Sylvia eats it.”

“Thanks Lavender.” He glanced around the room. Panic sending slivers of fear to stab his heart and turn his blood to ice as with painstaking care he slowly searched the room again. He tried to control his fear, his hand convulsively clenching his wand tighter. Turning to face the only red-head in the room, with a suddenly shaky voice he asked, “Does anyone know who the Witch was?”

Ron swallowed hard, and his mouth moved, but no sound came.

With tears in her eyes, Hermione said, “Ginny. We all conjured our Patronuses as you taught us, but the Dementors melted away into the mists with their captives before we could rescue them.”

Harry thrust a shaking hand through his ebony hair and tried to control the fear convulsing through him making him thankful that it had been hours since he had eaten. Ginny needed him to remain calm and stay focused. All the hostages did.

Taking a deep shaky breath, he squared his shoulders and stood straighter. Most of the younger students were now eating from three heart shaped boxes of chocolate that Lavender, Parvati and one of Ginny’s dorm mates had donated.

“Harry?” Ron had finally found his voice, but it cracked with emotion. “Harry, what are we going to do?”

With a look around the room, Harry signalled each of the DA and gave a nod towards the furthest corner away from everyone. When they were huddled together, Harry said, “Hermione, using the Protean Charm, please contact the rest of the DA for an emergency meeting. I’m sure that they are all aware of what has happened and are probably waiting for my signal.”

“Right Harry.” She pulled out her fake Galleon and mumbling under her breath, tapped it with her wand. With a smile of satisfaction, she watched until the glow of the Charm faded. Nodding, she asked, “Done. Now what?”

Why did everyone always look to him in a crisis? For once, he wished that he could be like Neville or Ron and allowed to show his fear and pain. This was Ginny they were talking about rescuing, not some nameless victim. He loved her. How could they expect him to set aside his emotions and issue orders? Harry scrubbed his fingers through his hair again, trying to think. The only thought in his mind was that when they rescued Ginny, he would tell her how he felt and never let her out of his sight again.

He stared at Ron hoping that he appeared calm, but from the matching expressions of concern on his and Hermione’s face, he wasn’t doing a very good job of hiding his fear. Whatever they decided to do, they would need more information. For once, he wasn’t going off half-cocked. He had learned from the fiasco at the Ministry of Magic. Then, his rescue flight had been a well-laid trap where Death Eaters injured his friends and ultimately, Bellatrix Lestrange had murdered the person he had gone to rescue right before his eyes. He couldn’t take that same chance with Ginny’s life. He had to be pro-active instead of re-active. “Well, for starters, I’m going to find the Headmistress and see if she has any more information. I want you to go to the Room of Requirement and do as much research on Dementors as you can. If possible, find out what can kill them.”

Hermione nodded, “Okay, I’ll summon the room with that in mind.”

He then pointed to Ron. “Ron, make sure that everyone is wearing black or at least dark colours. Be prepared for anything. We might have to move out quickly.”

Ron snapped his fingers. “Right, anything else?”

Harry thought for a moment. What was he missing? Turning around, he saw that Neville was already in black trousers and a dark grey jumper. “Neville, you come with me. I doubt that Professor McGonagall will want us going with the rescue squad, but I won’t be left behind. If it comes down to that, I will signal you and you will have to take a message to Ron and Hermione to have the DA’s meet us in the Entrance Hall.” He stopped and glanced around the circle at his friends. “Can anyone think of anything I’ve missed?”

“No, Harry, I think you’ve covered everything.” For a moment, Seamus rested his hand on Harry’s shoulder offering his silent support.

“Most of us will have to change, but we’ll be ready and waiting in the Room of Requirement when you need us,” said Hermione. She glanced down at the fluffy pink jumper that she had worn especially for Valentine's Day. The red rosebud from Ron’s bouquet that he had so carefully pinned to it earlier now seemed out of place and so frivolous that she almost broke into fresh tears.

Many of the DA were already sprinting towards the stairs, Dean and Seamus, pulling their shirts off as they ran and Lavender, unconcerned by modesty, was un-buttoning her blouse. At any other time, students doing a striptease in the common room would have received catcalls and whistles. The silence that ensued was palpable. Harry glanced at Ron who under other circumstances would have been staring as a blush turned his ears a painful red, but found his friend pale with a greenish cast to his skin. He looked as if the Gryffindor ghost could knock him over. “We will rescue Ginny, Ron. I won’t accept any other outcome.”

Ron nodded. “Harry, what if - ”

“Don’t even go there, mate.” Resting a hand on each shoulder, Harry vowed, “I won’t let anything happen to her. I need her too much.”

He must have gotten the message because Ron dredged up a weak smile. “It’s about time. I wondered when you would accept it.”

“I’ve always known, I just didn’t want her in more danger than necessary.” Harry sighed. Dropping his hands, he turned towards the door. “I guess it didn’t work. Ginny has a mind of her own.”

Harry hadn’t moved more than one step before Hermione threw herself into his arms. “Harry, she will be all right. I can feel it.”

“Thanks, Hermione. I hope that you’re better at predictions than Professor Trelawney.” Releasing Hermione, he and Neville hurried out of the common room before breaking into a run.

When they arrived at the Headmaster’s quarters, they were surprised to find the entrance unguarded and the Phoenix staircase moving upward. Both men stepped onto the bottom tread, but they didn’t wait for the slowly revolving stairs to carry them, they pounded up until they burst into the Headmaster’s office.

“Ah Mr Potter, we’ve been expecting you,” said Professor McGonagall with a smile. “I see that you’ve brought Mr Longbottom as well.”

Harry nodded at the other people standing around the room. Except for Ginny, Percy and Ron all of the other Weasleys were there, as was Mad-Eye Moody, Professor Lupin, Tonks and Hagrid. Mrs Weasley rushed over to gather him into a hug.

“Hagrid, please continue,” said the Headmistress.

“Grawp’s been watchin’ those Dementors like yeh asked. He knows where their nes’ is. He’ll take us ter em.”

Professor McGonagall nodded. “Excellent Hagrid. Please alert him that we’ll be ready to go in a few minutes.”

Harry watched Hagrid hurry from the room before he turned back and asked, “Where is everybody? Why aren’t more Aurors here? The rest of the Order?”

“More are gathering in the Great Hall,” said Remus.

“Wotcher, Harry,” said Tonks, ruffling his already dishevelled hair. “Shacklebolt ordered every Auror who was free to meet here as soon as possible. There will be more than enough help.”

One brow rose questioningly as Professor McGonagall said, “We expected more of the DA to be with you?’

With an unperturbed shrug, Harry said, “They’re waiting for me in the Room of Requirement.”

“I see, and have you already formed a rescue plan?” she asked.

Harry shook his head. “No. I’ve learned my lesson. This is too important to rush into without help.”

Bill looped a brotherly arm around his shoulders, the scars across his ravaged face an eerie reminder of what could happen when fighting Voldemort’s followers. “Well done, Harry.”

Staring at the Headmistress, Harry added, “We’re going with you. I won’t be left behind.”

As Bill’s arm tightened, Fred said, “Course not.”

“Wouldn’t expect you to,” George added.

“No, Potter. We’re counting on you and the DA to help us,” growled Mad-Eye.

Professor Lupin grinned at him. “I suppose that you’ve taught them all how to conjure a Patronus?”

Harry nodded. “We worked on that Charm two years ago.”

“Even I can conjure one,” said Neville proudly.

“Excellent! That should give us more than enough,” said Arthur.

“How were you planning on contacting the DA from here?” asked Professor McGonagall. “I assume you hadn’t intended on leaving, Mr Potter.”

Sheepishly, Harry grinned. “That’s what Neville is here for. I was staying with you, while Neville went to retrieve them.”

Nodding, McGonagall said, “Off you go then, Mr Longbottom. Meet us downstairs as quickly as possible.”

~~ * * * ~~


The mist had thickened menacingly as they trudged through the Forbidden Forest following Grawp. Insidiously, the damp air clung to their clothing until they were soaked to the skin and eerily reminded Harry of the second task of the TriWizard Tournament. The air seemed so heavily saturated with moisture that he wished he had gills instead of lungs.

Cresting a rise, they were now above the mist, and Harry could see Grawp give the signal to stop. He pointed into the hollow below them. Harry squinted against the glare of the moon reflecting off the white cloud and tried to see into the swirling mist. Hermione nudged him and he looked up to notice that the rescue party was moving into position to surround the nest.

A scream echoed within the mist followed quickly by another, and the hollow again captured Harry’s attention. Blindfolded, he could find Ginny in a room filled with screaming women, so he knew that she hadn’t been the one to cry out. Harry concentrated until he began to discern shapes within the fog; even as more shrieks sounded, causing cold fingers to squeeze his heart. Tall, thin shapes that could only be adult Dementors ringed the area below them. Within the circle where the mist was churning most, he thought that he could see smaller figures darting around. Like a pack of Werewolves on the hunt, five or six of them would converge, a scream of fright would resonate twisting his gut, and then the misty shapes would dart after their next prey.

He noticed that the outer ring was closing, growing tighter and limiting the ability to evade the Dementors' young. The emotions pouring off the young girls must be driving them into a frenzy. Harry knew that if the adults began to feed, the young Witches wouldn’t have a chance. He hadn’t seen anyone use magic, so he assumed that the Dementors had taken their wands. Without magic and the ability to conjure Patronuses, they would die a painful death.

A silver Dragon suddenly appeared off to Harry’s right, followed closely by a silver Hippogriff and Werewolf. He conjured his Stag and sent it bounding down the hill, with Ron’s Krup hard on its heels. Hermione’s otter was sliding down on his belly.

Harry heard Ginny call out, “Lisa, Juliet, Sara, Elizabeth, come to me.”

Without stopping to think, Harry directed his Patronus towards the sound of her voice. Then, he began to slip and slide down the hill and run towards her, as Patronuses of every size and shape were forcing the Dementors back.

Harry fell as someone tackled him from behind. As they tumbled down the rest of the hill, he heard, ‘Incendio!’ only seconds before he felt a blast of heat and he could smell the awful stench of burning hair. With a grimace of pain, Harry remembered the second portion of the plan. After the Patronuses forced the Dementors away from the Witches, everyone not wielding a Patronus would send a blast of fire to incinerate them.

Still pinning him to the ground, Fred asked, “You okay, Harry?” At Harry’s nod, he rolled over and released him.

George helped Harry up and clapped him on the back. “Why’d you run into the path of the fire?”

“Do you have a death wish?” Rising, Fred brushed himself off.

“Couldn’t you have waited a minute more to be with Ginny?” George winked at Harry who was beginning to flush.

A smirk on his face, Fred waved Harry on his way. “You can go find her now, Harry.”

“Yeah, don’t want to keep her waiting.” George clasped his hands to his heart, and a full octave above normal, he said, “My hero!” Pretending to swoon, he fluttered his eyelashes.

“Seriously,” Fred added, “you might want to do something about your hair first.”

George waved the suggestion away. “Nah, never mind, I doubt that Ginny’ll even notice.”

His cheeks flaming, Harry glanced around to see if anyone else had witnessed the Twins’ antics, before he scanned the area looking for Ginny. First, he spied his Stag standing gracefully, his head lifted as if he was sniffing the air for more danger, and then, Harry saw her.

Ginny was standing beside his Patronus and even though it was unmistakable that she had been terrified, at the moment her eyes were glowing as she stared around, one small hand patting his Stag. He rushed towards her, his eyes never leaving her lovely face, the magic of love guiding his feet through the many obstacles of fallen branches and small shrubs.

When she saw him running towards her through the mist, she welcomed him with a glad cry and flung herself into his arms. Neither of them broke the silence with words. It was enough for Harry to hold her trembling body close; to know that her heart still beat. That he hadn’t been too late to save her.

All too soon for Harry, her family gathered around and he reluctantly had to relinquish his hold. From the smile on Mr Weasley and Bill’s faces, they understood how hard it was for Harry to let her go and that they respected those feelings. While Mrs Weasley, Hermione and Professor McGonagall questioned the students about their abduction, Harry turned towards Mr Weasley and asked, “Sir, may I speak with you about something important?”

Nodding solemnly, Arthur indicated that maybe they should move a few feet away from the other discussion. As they walked, Harry turned his head to keep his eyes on Ginny, so he missed the silly grins shared by the Weasley men. “What is this about, Harry?”

“Um,” Harry stopped. Ginny was still so young. Although he had destroyed all of the Horcruxes, Voldemort was still out there. Until Harry vanquished him, Ginny and the entire Wizarding world would be in danger. Nevertheless, hadn’t this abduction proved that she was better off at his side? Maybe if he had been in Hogsmeade with her, his Patronus could have saved them much earlier in the day. “Ginny - ” He stopped again. ‘Why was this so hard? Mr Weasley had always been so easy to talk to before.’ Clenching his hands, with the toe of one trainer he dug a hole into the soft ground.

“You’re in love with Ginny.” Arthur coaxed.

Harry nodded, “Yes, I’m in love with Ginny.”

“Therefore, you would like her Mum’s and my permission to court her.”

Harry smiled and nodded again, “Yes sir, I would like to marry her.”

Arthur grinned back. “But not before she has finished school.”

“We’ll wait if that is your request, sir.”

“You do realise that Ginny is only sixteen?” he asked.

Even more embarrassed, a blush crept up Harry’s neck. Staring at his hands, he said, “Yes sir. I promise not to rush anything. There’s plenty of time.”

Harry took a chance and looked at Mr Weasley. His ears were as red as Ron’s became when he was discomfited. “Well, that’s good to know, Harry, although it wasn’t what I was talking about. I was just trying to remind you that Ginny was younger and that you had more than a year to wait.”

“Oh.”

“Never mind, Harry. I know that Molly already thinks of you as one of the family.” Arthur held out his right hand. “If you’re sure about your feelings, I give you permission to talk to Ginny about them.”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said, shaking his hand. He turned, and sped quickly back towards the red-haired Siren who held his heart. He was in such a hurry this time that he missed the ‘thumbs-up’, that Mr Weasley flashed to his eldest son.

~~ * * * ~~


It was long past midnight and Valentine's Day was over for another year when the exhausted Gryffindors climbed through the Portrait hole. The emotion-filled day and night had drained their reserves of energy and most of them moved as if they were under the Imperius Curse. The four worn-out Third years needed assistance from the older students to make it up the circular stairs.

Harry had confiscated Ginny’s hand after talking with Mr Weasley and had yet to release it. He tugged her gently towards the comfortable chairs grouped before the fireplace, Ron and Hermione following closely behind. Neville, Dean and Seamus ushered the last of the tired Gryffindors who had waited up for them to the stairs and their dorms, before waving good night to the two couples in front of the fire.

“Aren’t you tired, Ron?” asked Hermione.

“Beat, actually. I’m just going to rest here a while.”

Hermione sent an apologetic glance at Harry, who smiled and shrugged. “Okay, but then I want you to walk me as far as you can. We have some unfinished business to take care of.”

Harry didn’t care if they stayed or left, as long as Ginny didn’t leave his side. She had unquestioningly placed her small hand into his, allowed him to assist her through the Forbidden Forest and followed him over to his favourite chair where he now sat with her tucked neatly beside him. He could feel her exhaustion and knew that she needed to go to bed, but he didn’t want to let her go before they had settled things between them.

After a few minutes basking in the warmth from the fire, Harry felt her sigh and snuggle even closer, her breathing became deep and regular and he knew that she had fallen asleep. Carefully extricating himself from her embrace, Harry stood. “Will you both watch over her until I get back? I have something important to do.”

Hermione smiled, “Of course Harry. Take as much time as you need.”

Walking over to his discarded books from earlier, Harry extracted a folded piece of parchment and hurried up the stairs. He entered his room, and quietly woke Hedwig. She rubbed her head against his hand and with the paper in her beak, she waited patiently until he opened the window and then she took flight.

He entered the loo, brushed his teeth and hurried back downstairs. As he came into view, Hermione and Ron broke apart. Ron jumped up from the couch and reaching down, assisted Hermione to her feet. “Now that you’re back, we’ll see you in the morning,” Ron said, leading Hermione towards the stairs.

“See you.” Harry opened the window and two Snowy Owls flew into the common room, one settling on the mantle while the other came to rest on the arm of Harry’s chair. He nestled back into the chair and gathering Ginny close, he kissed her brow before he said, “Ginny, wake up.”

“Why? I’m comfortable right where I am.” Without opening her eyes, she snuggled even nearer.

A smile in his voice, he said, “As much as I like you just where you are, an Owl just came for you.”

“At this time of night?” she mumbled. “Can’t it wait for morning?”

Harry brushed the silken tresses out of her eyes. “C’mon sweetheart, open your eyes. He’s not going away.”

Grumpily, Ginny sat up and stretched, which set Harry’s heart pounding. Smiling up at him, she said, “It’s Hedwig. Have you sent me a letter, Harry?” He nodded as Ginny reached out and accepted the note from the Owl, who then, spread his wings and joined Hedwig on the mantle. Her eyes wide with surprise she glanced from the two owls to Harry before dropping them to the note in her hand. She opened it slowly.

With his heart beating erratically, he studied her face as she scanned the letter.

Her eyes filled with tears.

His heart stopped from the pain.

He had memorized every word on the page. Earlier he had engraved them on his heart and soul. The only reason she should be crying was if she no longer felt the same way about him, and didn’t want to tell him.

Then, she took his hand. In a soft whisper, she began to read it aloud, her voice growing stronger as his voice joined with hers.


Dearest Ginny,

When I look at you, the beauty of your smile lightens my heart. To me, your laughter has greater healing power than Phoenix song. Your hair is the glorious colour of the setting sun, while the brilliance of your eyes rivals the twinkling stars at night.

On bended knee, I apologize from the depths of my heart, and pray that with a touch of your small soft hands you will heal my agony and take me back. My heart, my very soul, belongs to you, forever.

My Valentine gifts to you are the beautiful Owl that carried this note and my heart. He is Hedwig’s perfect mate, just as you are the other half of me. Will you be my Valentine for ever and always?

With love,
Harry



She inhaled softly. Would she accept his steadfast love? “Harry - ”

He lowered his head and his lips touched hers in a sensual whisper. “Believe in a world without Voldemort. Believe in us.” His soft, warm lips brushed hers in a feathered caress.

His hand slid to her nape, steadying her, and he covered her mouth with his. She was so warm and he needed her warmth to sustain him. His life was so empty without her and her faith in him filled her. His heart ached and her light, tender kiss comforted him. He’d hurt her, yet her gentle lips forgave him.

Absolution.

Rational thought fled. His fears seemed foolish; they evaporated like morning dew in the sun. She slid her slender arms around his neck, urging him closer. Body to body, soul to soul. His heartbeat thundered in his chest, his heart calling to hers. A cry he hoped she could not ignore because his life depended on it. He deepened the kiss, trying to fill her with his dauntless love.

Completion.

His tongue swept inside, and he tasted her salty tears. His mate. Just like her Owl would forever be Hedwig’s. He was on fire for her. The taste and scent of her raced through his system like molten silver. She was hot, bright and dangerous, luring him in. She breached all of his defences. His gallant soul wooed her.

Seduction.

He drank her in as if he’d been wandering scorched and blinded in a desert. He was shaking now, too. He revelled in her awe, absorbed her reverence. Making him feel as if she were his own personal miracle, he made love to her mouth. He ravished her senses, consumed her with his heat. He fell into the spiralling pleasure, into the inferno. Searing connection arced between them, fused them into one mind, one body.

One spirit.

His fingers threaded into her hair, kneading her scalp, and she melted against him. They touched and tasted. Took and gave back. He gave in to the strange phenomenon that scrambled his brains, ignited his body and satisfied his heart. He’d never needed, wanted anything, as he needed her. Weightless, he floated in hot, bubbling delight.

One broad hand slid down her spine to the small of her back, both soothing and inciting. Heartbeat slammed against heartbeat. Desire sparked in his veins, sizzled through his limbs. His passion fuelled hers and she moaned into his mouth. Liquid, shattering intimacy that was so much more than physical welled inside him. Nothing, no one existed but Ginny.

He broke the kiss, and her essence ebbed away, leaving him empty and aching. She leaned back and loss stabbed into his heart like an arrow, leaving it impaled upon the bloody spike and lonely.

His chest heaved with ragged breaths and his pulse pistoned in his throat like a galloping herd of Thestrals. Desire smoked his emerald green gaze.

Dazed, her brown eyes huge in her pale face, Ginny looked up at him, unable to think. To speak. With a tremulous smile, she nodded her head.

Harry gave her a shaky, lopsided grin, his dimples carving craters in his cheeks. “I love you,” he whispered before Ginny pulled his head down for another kiss.

Cupid and his arrows had triumphed again.


Reviews 46
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear