Search:

SIYE Time:11:24 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Return To Innocence
By Ginger Snap

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 10
Summary: Ginny discovers that her innocence, once thought lost, could be found again in something as simple as a kiss.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5111







ChapterPrinter



A Return To Innocence
~
This is for my sister who watched me lose my innocence and helped me realize that that it was never truly gone.





“Dear diary,” wrote Ginny Weasley. “I am Ginny and I just turned eleven today.”

Ginny looked up from what she had just written and smiled. She was excited to be writing in her first diary. It wasn’t like a normal diary she noted. It was only a black folder with loose parchment inside.

She dipped her quill into the bottle of ink and wrote “Do you have a name?” She pursed her lips and shook her head. “I suppose not. You are not a proper diary yet. You are just loose paper right now, but I will make you into a proper diary.”

She lowered her quill and thought for a moment before writing more. “First, we have to pick out your name.”

Her eyes darted around the room, and finally settled on a very interesting spot on her ceiling. Deep in thought, she put the quill to her lip and absentmindedly sucked on it. Unlike the sugar quills she frequently enjoyed, this quill tasted horrible. She made a sour face and quickly took the quill out of her mouth, and wiped her tongue on the sleeve of her robes.

Looking down at the nearly blank page before her, she dipped the quill back into the ink, and wrote “How about Elizabeth? That is a very pretty name for you.”

She lifted the book to her face and flipped the pages and giggled at the slight breeze they made on her nose and eyelashes. “Yes, I think that will do. Good night Elizabeth.” she wrote finally before climbing into her bed, closing her eyes, and falling into sweet dreams.


“Dear Elizabeth,” she began early the next morning. She was awake far earlier than she was used to, but she was excited and couldn’t sleep. She had her new, well, new to her, books for Hogwarts and couldn’t wait to look through them yet again. She also couldn’t wait to use the old diary she had found mixed in with her other books.

Barely able to contain her excitement she eagerly dipped her quill into the blue ink and continued. “You’ll never guess what happened. I was looking through my books for Hogwarts. That’s my school. I got my books for it yesterday. And I found a proper diary! It was in with my other books. I have no idea how it got there, but it looks old, and is kind of mucked up, but it’s a real diary! Isn’t that wonderful?”

Ginny put her quill down and her face grew somber as she looked down at what she had just written. “Don’t worry. I’ll still write all the happy things in here for you. Ok?” she added as a feeling of guilt washed over her. “Well, bye!” she finished finally.

She slowly closed the diary and held her hand on the cover for a moment before picking it up and putting it safely away in her trunk. Without a second thought, she went back to her desk, opened the bottom drawer and pulled out the other diary.

The old black book laid open in front of her as she picked up her quill, dipped it in her bottle of black ink and began to write. “Dear Diary,” she began.

Her heart skipped a beat because within moments her writing had disappeared. She quickly turned the pages, looking for any sign of the words she had just written, but the pages were all blank. She thumbed through the book several more times, and did not see even a smudge of anything.

She sat staring at the diary for several minutes before trying again. “Dear Diary,” she said aloud as she wrote, silently willing the writing to stay on the page, but a few seconds later, she watched as the ink sank into the page right before her very eyes.

Her quill fell out of her hand and she moved her face closer to the page to examine it further. She lifted the corner and peeled it back to look at the other side. Nothing. It was completely blank.

She gasped as she turned the page back. The previously blank page had writing on it, but the writing was not hers. It was very flowing but at the same time messy. It looks like a boys writing she thought, and the words were not very neat.

A sudden inspiration filled her and she snatched up her quill, and quickly wrote “I can’t read your writing.”

This time, as her writing disappeared, she was expecting it. She nodded her head and smiled to herself in silent appreciation of her cleverness.

“There, is that better?” came the writing. It was very neat this time, and she had no problems reading it.

“Yes thank you. Much better.” she wrote back, as she slid her red hair behind her left ear.

Almost immediately, writing appeared right below hers. “You’re very welcome.”

“We need to give you a name.” she continued.

There was a long pause, and Ginny looked curiously at the page. When no more writing appeared, she dipped her quill again, and wrote “Hello?”

There was still no reply.

Ginny picked the diary up and shook it. “Hello?” she said out loud before sitting it back down and writing again.

With a furrowed brow, she mouthed the words as she wrote them. “Hello? Are you mad at me? Why won’t you talk any more?”

As the last traces of her ink faded, the diaries ink came into view. “I’m not mad.”

Just as she was about to respond, more writing appeared. “I am just hurt is all.”

Ginny’s face softened, and she felt sad. “Why? Who hurt you?” she asked while biting her bottom lip

“I can’t tell you. I’ve only just met you.” replied the diary immediately.

“Why not?” pleaded Ginny. “We’re friends right? You’re my diary after all.”

After a dramatic pause, the writing slowly formed the words. “Yes. I suppose we are.” As soon as the line faded, more writing appeared. “Fine. It was you who hurt me. I already have a name and I don’t need another one.”

Ginny blinked her eyes several times to make sure she had seen the writing properly. She had hurt the diary? It was just a book. “But, you’re just a book. How could I have hurt you?”

When there was no reply for several moments, Ginny hurriedly scratched “I’m sorry. I’ve hurt you again haven’t I?” she asked. “I won’t do it again.” she said out loud.

"It's fine," the old diary replied. "I didn't expect much from a little girl trying to play big girl games."

"I am not little!" Ginny quickly scrawled, as her temper flared. "I am eleven. And how did you know I was a girl?"

“Lucky guess. I see you are not such a little girl after all." Slowly and deliberately, more writing appeared on the page. "Oh, and I’m far more than just a book my dear. I’ll be your friend. You won’t need anyone else. I promise.”

Ginny let out a sigh of relief. “Please tell me your name.” she asked simply.

Slowly, more writing appeared on the page. “First tell me yours.”

“My name is Ginny.” wrote Ginny without hesitation, thankful she didn’t hurt the diary any more.

“Well Ginny. It’s nice to meet you.” came the friendly reply almost immediately.

Ginny watched as the writing faded until all that was left was a blank page. She cocked her head slightly and a look of concern crossed her face as writing finally began to appear. Slowly, from left to right, in deep blood red ink the words formed. “My name is Tom.”




Silently as a cat and careful not to wake anyone, Ginny made her way up the stairs to her dormtory. She sifted through her trunk, and smiled when she found what she was looking for.

"Lumos minimus," she whispered, and instantly, the tip of her wand cast a pale glow over the black folder filled with loose parchment from what seemed a lifetime ago.

“Dear Elizabeth,” began Ginny. “I didn’t forget my promise to you, it’s just that today is the happiest I have been since we first met. Today is the day Harry Potter kissed me.”



Disclaimer: This is based on the Harry Potter Universe created by J.K. Rowling. She owns it all.
Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear