Love Enough for Both by Manwe Valarian



Summary: Harry heard a goblin speaking and he came out of temporary stupor. He was surrounded by witches and wizards all staring at him. The most shocking thing was he had his arms around someone. Who was she and how did they get here?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2012.10.25
Updated: 2018.05.01


Index

Chapter 1: Bonded
Chapter 2: Adults
Chapter 3: Inheritance
Chapter 4: Into the Chamber
Chapter 5: Eye to Eye
Chapter 6: Family Time
Chapter 7: Ambushed
Chapter 8: Darkness Approaches
Chapter 9: Will
Chapter 10: Some Potter History
Chapter 11: What a Library
Chapter 12: A Real Keeper
Chapter 13: Starting the Fight
Chapter 14: Fudge, the Minister
Chapter 15: A New Professor
Chapter 16: Special Classes
Chapter 17: Hogsmeade Weekend
Chapter 18: Resurrection
Chapter 19: Failed
Chapter 20: The Order Organizes
Chapter 21: Confusion at the Ministry
Chapter 22: Duels
Chapter 23: Deceived
Chapter 24: Trusting Snape
Chapter 25: Hunting
Chapter 26: Christmas Holiday
Chapter 27: New Years
Chapter 28: Springtime Lull
Chapter 29: Britain Falls
Chapter 30: Ancient Magic Reborn
Chapter 31: Fragments
Chapter 32: Like a Beautiful Jewel in the Night
Chapter 33: A New Plan
Chapter 34: Fighting amongst Allies
Chapter 35: The King of Magic
Chapter 36: The Massacre - Part 1 Tracking
Chapter 37: The Massacre - Fighting for Survival
Chapter 38: Refugees
Chapter 39: A difficult Decision
Chapter 40: Terror in Triplicate
Chapter 41: Phoenix Rising
Chapter 42: Power of the Love Bond
Chapter 43: With a Whimper
Chapter 44: Dealing with a New Reality
Chapter 45: Hogwarts 2420


Chapter 1: Bonded

Author's Notes: A special thanks to my Beta, Cognitur, for catching all my mistakes.


“A soul bond. The strongest of all four bonds, has not been witnessed in over 1700 years. Gringotts will prepare for them.”

Harry stared at the ancient goblin that seemed to appear on the street of Diagon Alley. He had just come out of Ollivander’s with his wand and was admiring his new owl that Hagrid purchased for him. Now he was in the middle of the street surrounded by gawking wizards, witches, and this cryptic goblin.

This new world was so strange to Harry. He wasn’t sure what to think about it. What was a soul bond, and why were all the people on the street looking at him?

He suddenly realized that he had his arm around someone. Looking to his left he was shocked to see a young redhead girl staring at him with an equally shocked expression. At the same moment he heard the voices of everyone around him. It was a roar of voices assaulting his ears. One voice rang above all the others. It belonged to a matronly looking woman with red-hair. She was short and stout with a flushed face that matched her angry voice.

“I don’t care if he is Harry Potter himself. He cannot just bond with my daughter. She is only ten years old!”

The girl finally spoke up. “Are you Harry Potter?” she asked him in a whisper that he was able to barely hear above the noise of the crowd.

“Yes, I am. Who are you?”

He never received an answer as her chocolate brown eyes became as wide as the galleons in his pocket, just before she became faint.

He was able to catch her and pull her to him to keep her from hitting the ground. He had never held a girl in his arms before. He never had the desire to hold a girl before, but she was different. It felt right to hold her.

Strong hands pulled his arms away from this beautiful girl and removed her from his grasp. The absence of her touch unnerved him.

“Leave my daughter alone,” ordered the angry mother. “She is only ten years old.”

“Technically, she is not your daughter anymore, Molly,” said a reedy female voice from the crowd. An old woman, who was so frail and bony she looked like she must creak when she walked, stepped forward.

“Who are you,” demanded the mother. “She most certainly is my daughter.”

“I am Cassandra Waffling from the Ministry’s department of records. To be more precise, I oversee records of marriage bonds. Thirty minutes ago, I saw a golden flash above the book of marriage bonds. This never before happened, but when I looked I saw the entry: Harry James Potter bonded to Ginerva Molly Weasley by virtue of a soul bond.”

Harry was confused by what this old woman was saying. It almost sounded like he just got married. That was impossible.

“No, that can’t happen,” responded the distraught mother. “Those things are myths, just something told as romantic tales of magic.”

“I am afraid they are real Molly,” the old woman replied sadly. “I too thought these were just myths, but it has happened. What further complicates things is that Ginevra is no longer under age. She and Mr. Potter here are technically adults in the eyes of the Ministry. They cannot attend Hogwarts, because Hogwarts won’t accept married couples.”

The frantic mother, Molly, looked at a tall wizard in purple robes with long silver hair and beard wearing half-moon glasses. “Is that true, Headmaster?”

He didn’t answer straight away, but when he did his voice was sad and thoughtful. “Yes, Molly, the bylaws of the school prevent married students from attending.”

“It isn’t only the bylaws, Albus, it is woven into the magic of the school. Headmaster Dippet had informed me that I couldn’t get married before my seventh year because of the restriction of the magic of the school. I was betrothed to my wonderful late husband, but we had to wait until I graduated.” The old woman stated sadly.

“Do not worry about this, Molly,” reassured the tall man. “I will investigate and find a solution to all of this.”

“Thank you Headmaster,” sighed the distraught mother who was still cradling the unconscious Ginny.

“Why don’t you take your family home, and attend to young Ginevra. I want to talk to Mr. Potter,” said the tall man.

“Thank you Headmaster,” said the mother again.

“Please Molly, you are no longer a student. Call me Albus,” chuckled the tall man. “Everyone run along now, there is nothing to see here. Just a misunderstanding,” he said to the surrounding crowd. The old woman went to protest, but the tall man silenced her with a stare.

Harry was absolutely confused. Twenty-four hours ago he didn’t know magic existed. Now he stood in the secret section of London that only magical people can see, he was also famous in this secret society, and now it sounded like he was married. His head spun with everything he had just experienced. He looked around to the only person he actually knew for longer than an hour, Hagrid.

Hagrid was standing in the street holding the cage with Harry’s snowy owl. He had a look of absolute shock on his face, or what part of his face Harry could see.

“Hagrid, I don’t understand. What just happened?”

“I dunt know ‘arry,” answered the bewildered man. “But yer can trust Perfesser Dumbledore. ‘e’s a great man, ‘e is. ‘e will sort everything out, ‘e will,” said Hagrid.

“Who is he?” asked Harry. He was pretty sure it was the tall man, but he had lost track of everyone in the confusion.

“Well ‘arry, its ‘im,” said Hagrid pointing at the tall man, who was now looking at Harry over half-moon glasses.

“Yes, Harry, I am Professor Albus Dumbledore. I was hoping we could introduce you to our world a little more calmly, but I am afraid that didn’t happen. Hagrid please take Harry to the Leaky Cauldron for me, and ask Tom to get us a private spot to talk. I will be along shortly. I must go to the Ministry and a few other places first.”

“Will do Perfesser,” stated Hagrid enthusiastically.

Without responding, Professor Dumbledore twisted and disappeared with a loud pop, leaving Harry standing in the middle of the street with Hagrid. Harry stood there for several seconds not believing what he had just seen. The man disappeared in front of him.

“Well, we best be getting up to the Leaky, then ‘arry,” said Hagrid, as he started walking.

When Hagrid moved, Harry saw Mr. Ollivander standing there. He had that strange smile on his face as he stared at Harry with his watery blue eyes. He almost laughed as he spoke.

“Great things indeed, Mr. Potter, great things indeed.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry sat in a secluded booth in the dingy pub. He finished his meal of beef stew and something called Pumpkin Juice. He was confused. How did he go from the freak of the Dursley family to being this quasi-celebrity in a hidden society? How did he end up with his arm around a girl in the middle of street? She wasn’t only a girl but his new wife.

“Why did you do it, ‘arry?” asked Hagrid who avoided talking to him until now.

“Do what, Hagrid?”

“Why did you go and hug her?”

“I was wondering that myself,” said Albus Dumbledore. He was standing at the opening to the booth.

“I don’t know why. I don’t even remember hugging her. I remember walking out of Ollivander’s and admiring my owl, then the next thing I remember that goblin was announcing we were bonded. What happened to me?”

“According to the Ministry, you and Miss Weasley are now bonded for life which makes you both adults. I have magical monitoring devices in my office at Hogwarts. They all indicated a strong surge of magic occurring in Diagon Alley. I arrived to see you and Miss Weasley frozen in an embrace behind a magical shield. I do not understand how this happened, but I will investigate it and find how to correct this,” said Albus Dumbledore. “Harry there are many things you need to know before you can make the decisions of an adult. There are also many dangerous aspects to our society. Without proper training and preparation, you may fall into a trap.”

“Could you teach me the things I need to know?” Harry asked.

The Headmaster smiled warmly at him. “I was hoping to do that, but recent events have complicated things. I think the best thing to do at the present time is for you to return home. I shall contact you at a later date.”

Albus Dumbledore then addressed Hagrid. “Please wait here with Harry, until Minerva arrives. She will take Harry back to his home in Little Whinging.”

“I can do that,” stated Hagrid.

“Until we meet again,” stated Albus Dumbledore. “And Harry, please be careful who you hug.”

Harry looked up at the tall Headmaster. He wasn’t in a joking mood, so the humor of the Headmaster’s comment escaped him.

“I am sorry. I didn’t know what I was doing. I am sorry I caused everyone problems, especially that girl,” he apologized.

He was used to being the cause of problems at his Aunts house. He guessed that it was a trait he would carry with him forever. Now he didn’t only destroy his life he also destroyed the pretty girl’s life.

“Things happen that are beyond our control Harry,” said the Headmaster. “However, I must caution you about talking to anyone from our society, and above all else do not trust the goblins. Goblins and wizards have a long history of mistrust and misdeeds. I shall see you again soon.”

Harry watched Albus Dumbledore leave. He felt terrible not only emotionally but also physically. The stew he ate must not have been good, because he was feeling a little queasy and warm. He also noticed that all his body ached.

“Hagrid what did I do back there. I mean it when I say I don’t remember anything between stepping out of Ollivander’s to admire your present to me, and when the goblin made his announcement.”

“I dunno ‘arry. You got this funny look on yer face, ya see. Then ya walk out into the street and ‘ug this girl. Not just any girl, mind you, but a Weasley.”

“What was wrong with her being a Weasley?”

“They are a big family and she ‘as a lot of older brothers. I don’t think they will like that you married their ten year old sister. You two started to hug and then this large silver dome surrounded the two of you. Well, no one could get inside of the dome. Even the ‘eadmaster tried several times, if ‘e can’t break through, no one can. The two of you stayed like that for a good thirty minutes, before the dome dropped and ol’` Grins Gringott announced that you are now soul bonded. That is about it.”

Harry sat there sipping on his pumpkin juice for several minutes. He could not fathom why he doesn’t’ remember any of what Hagrid described to him. How did he create such a protective dome? Why her? Why did he choose or bond with this pretty girl with lovely chocolate brown eyes and silky red hair?

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny Weasley sat at the kitchen table of her family’s home. She was staring blankly at the scrubbed wood table. She was tired of being questioned by her family, and thinking about what happened today. She still doesn’t recall how she ended up in the middle of the street with her arm around Harry Potter’s waist.

She had her arm around Harry Bleeding Potter. Now she supposedly was married to him by virtue of a soul bond. How and why this happened was beyond her ability to understand. She heard of soul bonds, but they were only myths.

The only story that she actually remembers is of a couple in ancient times that were getting bonded, but during the ceremony they actually bonded their souls. Within a year, they disappeared from magical society never to be heard from again.

She looked up at her four brothers in the kitchen. They were all with her when it happened. Ron has not said anything since they returned home. Fred and George started to tease her about trapping Harry Potter in the soul bond to ensure she married him. She had always wanted to marry Harry Potter when she grew up. Percy just paced at the other end of the kitchen and “tutted” and “tsked” to himself. It was obvious that he was upset because she had done something that was improper.

Her parents were in the other room arguing about what to do. Her mother was the most vocal about the situation. She kept insisting that Albus Dumbledore will set things right and get the bond dissolved. Her father insisted that the bond cannot be dissolved because of possible repercussion on her and Harry’s magic.

She took another sip of her herbal tea. Her mum had given it to her to settle her stomach and make her feel better. It wasn’t really helping. She was feeling warm and everything hurt. It felt almost as if she had caught the flu.

She smiled at the irony of the situation. She had met the person she admired most in the entire world, bonded for life with him, and got sick.

Her mum returning to the kitchen brought Ginny out of her thoughts. Her mum quickly bustled over and placed a hand on her forehead.

“Oh my dear, you are burning up. Off to bed with you.”

Ginny complied because she was too tired to fight and too sick to argue.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Bill Weasley sat deep within the bowels of an Egyptian pyramid. Even thought it was late at night, he was working through the ancient runes that magically protected this area of the pyramid. He never realized that being an expert at ancient runes would lead him to Egypt and discovering treasures.

He studied the etchings in the stone wall and then wrote down a rune. The ancient wizards were incredibly clever. This group had hidden their runes in with hieroglyphics. There were some stuck between the hieroglyphics. There were others that were formed by the arrangement of the hieroglyphics. This group he was looking at was formed by the outline of hieroglyphics. It was tedious and tiring work, but getting it right the first time was usually the difference between a person’s life and death.

“Mr. William Weasley,” croaked out a grating voice behind Bill.

“Yes,” he replied to the goblin.

“Stop your work and come with me?”

Bill stared at the goblin. He was going to protest, but noticed that it was the Goblin in charge of the Egyptian branch of Gringotts, Gratch the angry. Not wanting to lose this job, he closed his log book and left with the goblin. He couldn’t figure out why they would want to dismiss him. He has made more progress on his digs than anyone else for the past two years. He was even getting better. They should be promoting him.

As Bill thought about those things, they kept walking out of the pyramid. He noticed that they had passed Gratch’s office and was continuing out of the pyramid. Bill hadn’t realized that it was already dark. They walked past his and all the wizards and witches living quarters, a group of canvas tents.

He saw a short dark creature up ahead. When they reached the figure, it turned out to be the head of all of Gringotts banks, Grins Gringott.

“You wanted to see me?” asked a nervous Bill.

“Yes, I did. I must apologize for the conditions of our meeting, but I have more faith in this location than in there where the walls have ears,” said the Head Goblin indicating the temporarily erected housing for the goblin workers and magical humans.

“Mr. Weasley, do you know about soul bonds?” asked Grins Gringotts.

“I thought they were myths repeated by the romantics,” replied William.

“No, you are like so many others; relying on the magic of wands to survive. We goblins have always believed in older magic, and soul bonding is one of the most important. When one bonds their soul to another, it indicates a level of dedication and trust beyond anything else one might experience.

“It changes the couple involved. It makes it impossible for them to betray the other. They can never reverse or dissolve the bond, or they will die.

“Many of the goblin wars were actually started because of the wizards’ insistence of the wand being supreme and the goblins refuting that claim. It saddens me to know that many goblins of my generation believe that using a wand makes one superior to non-wand users.

“However, I did not come to Egypt to discuss the weakening magical structure of Goblin society. There was a soul bonding in England yesterday. I need your help with getting the two to come to Gringotts so we can help them.”

“Why me, why not some other wizard?” asked a puzzled Bill.

“Because the bond was between Harry James Potter and Ginevra Molly Weasley,” said Grins Gringott.

“No that is not possible. My sister is only ten years old. She cannot bond with anyone without my parents’ permission,” insisted Bill.

“A soul bond does not know anything about age. It relies entirely on the couple’s heart. Their age is a problem. Now that they are bonded, they are seen as adults in the Ministry’s eyes. They may not be able to attend Hogwarts.

“There are other things that may happen. There has only been one soul bond between two people so young. It happened ages ago and no record of what happened to the couple was recorded. According to what records we have, the couple will become adults upon bonding.”

Bill was expecting something much worse to be said about Harry and his baby sister. “Well the Ministry will regard them as adults. You already said that.”

“Yes, the Ministry will regard them as adults, but that isn’t what I am talking about. They will grow quickly into adults.”

“What?” asked a shocked Bill. “You mean that they will magically become adults? How long will this take?”

“A day or two,” answered the goblin. “Magical society will not be ready for them. They will not be ready for this. We, Gringotts, must take care of them, or I am afraid all will be lost.”

Bill stared at the ancient goblin. Goblins are not known for their cheerfulness and charitable work, but Grins seemed more worried about his sister and Harry Potter than the possible cache of Egyptian gold and jewels.

“Why are you doing this? Why are you helping my sister and Harry Potter?”

“Because without them the magical world may soon be engulfed in darkness, it could be the ruin of our two societies, goblin and man.”

Back to index


Chapter 2: Adults

Author's Notes: The soul bond starts to change Harry and Ginny. Each family reacts differently to the changes.


Harry tried to stretch his aching body, but it seemed his bed clothing had wrapped itself around him during the night. It was not surprising since he had a fitful night of sleep. Strange dreams plagued his slumber. He felt that the python he had released from the zoo had found him and tried to choke the life out of him.

“Wake up, boy,” shouted his Aunt from the hallway. “Just because we gave you Dudder’s spare room doesn’t mean you can get away with sleeping until noon. You have put us through quite a lot this past week.”

Harry heard her stomp towards the room as she shouted to him. His cousin Dudley had groaned and shouted for her to be quiet. Harry imagined his cousin would be sleeping most of the day. It must be traumatic to be given a pigs tail. He tried to roll out of the bed and reach for his glasses. His feet hit some of the broken toys that Dudley had thrown in here. His feet then hit the floor in an awkward manner causing him to fall all the way out of bed.

The door to his bedroom flew open. He looked up to see his Aunt storm through.

“You will clean…,” she shouted then suddenly stopped. “WHO ARE YOU! VERNON, WE HAVE AN INTRUDER CALL THE POLICE!” she screamed at the top of her lungs.

“Aunt Petunia…,” Harry tried to explain to her it was only him, but there was something different about his voice. It didn’t sound like an eleven year old’s. It sounded like a man’s voice.

His glasses were in his hand. Even without his clear vision he realized that his hand was different, it was much larger than it should be. Trying to place his glasses on his face, he had to struggle to get them to stay for they were too small. With his clear vision, he could see his hand. It was almost the same size as Uncle Vernon’s in length. He stood up to realize he was no longer a small eleven year old boy. He looked to be a fully mature man.

“Whoever you are,” shouted his uncle from the other side of the door. “We have a gun and the police are on the way.”

Harry had now stretched up to his full height. His pajama’s stretched but didn’t tear. They had been Dudley’s and even now he was much taller but not as round as Dudley.

“You don’t have a gun, Uncle Vernon. Unless you count that dueling pistol that can’t be shot,” shouted Harry. He enjoyed having this deeper voice.

“He must have been through the house,” shouted his uncle.

“He was in my china,” screamed Aunt Petunia. “My Royal Dalton with hand-painted periwinkles.”

Harry laughed hearing his aunt run down the stairs to care for her precious china.

“Uncle Vernon, I am Harry. I don’t know what happened, but you don’t need to worry about me. I just grew up over night.”

“I don’t care if it is you. You freak,” hissed his uncle from the other side of the door. “When the police come I will have you arrested for kidnapping my nephew, Harry Potter. We will be rid of you for good. Go ahead and prove that you are a scrawny eleven year old boy.”

Harry heard his uncle laugh on the other side of the door. He was right. Harry could never prove him to be only eleven. How was he going to explain to someone that he was only eleven and he just happened to grow to twice his size overnight?

“Uncle Vernon, you can’t do that to me,” he pleaded. “I have nowhere to go.”

“You can go to jail. That is where your kind belongs.”

Harry was in a state of panic. He knew his uncle would do that. He was stuck. He had no normal money. Worse than that he couldn’t even get out of his own room; he was now on the second floor. He would have to jump and run for his freedom.

In the distance he could hear sirens wailing. The police were coming closer. He grabbed the only two things he could think of; his wand and his new pet owl. Opening up the window as far as he could he tried to crawl out. He was so large now that he barely fit through it. He finally decided that the safest thing would be to go feet first. He had to hurry because the sirens were only a few streets away.

He hung from the window for a few seconds. He held Hedwig’s cage in his left hand and his wand was clenched in his teeth. His pajamas had slid up his legs and the brick of the house dug into his thighs. He was helpless. He was sure that he would jump and break his legs. The police would take him to jail and he would never be free again.

He just wanted a place to be safe and free from the abuse he had received here. Someplace where they would not call him a freak and unnatural, where someone would actually tell him that they loved him. He had always imagined that his parents told him that, but he could not remember. Maybe he didn’t deserve being loved; after all, all of his life he had been that freaky skinny Potter boy.

Praying for a miracle, he let go of the window sill. When he landed, he discovered he was no longer at Number Four Privet Drive.


[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Molly Weasley wearily walked past her daughter’s bedroom door. She stopped to listen. She didn’t need to open the door to realize that her daughter was having bad dreams. She had been tossing and turning all night. There had been an occasional moan coming from the room, but none were loud enough or frightening enough for her to check on Ginny.

Molly continued down the stairs to the kitchen. Ginny was on her mind. She could not believe what had happened to her daughter yesterday at Diagon Alley. It was called a soul bond. That could not be, because they were just myths, and she had just met that boy.

Soul bonds are only supposed to happen between two people that were deeply in love. When a couple gets bonded like her and Arthur, it was something like a soul bond, or it was supposed to be. There had not been an actual soul bond in 1700 years so Molly had no way of knowing what happened when one soul bonded.

But her daughter could not be soul bonded to Harry Potter. They had just met. They didn’t even speak. He just walked across the street and hugged her. He had also erected that shield that kept everyone from touching them.

A small smile crossed Molly’s lips as she steeped her morning tea. Was that the same shield that saved him from He-who-must-not-be-named? It certainly was powerful enough.

A knock on the back door, brought her out of her thoughts of Harry Potter. Dawn was just breaking and the sun was not completely up. Who could be knocking at this hour? Could it be Professor Dumbledore with the solution to their dilemma?

She walked over to the back door and gasped. “Bill,” she exclaimed as she flung the door open and engulfed her eldest son in a strong motherly hug. “What are you doing here? Why didn’t you write? Is everything alright? You didn’t get fired from that bank did you? I never trusted those goblins. Come in and I’ll get your father up and start some breakfast. Do you still like scones?” She rattled off without breathing or giving Bill a chance to respond or step into the house.

“I am good Mum. I didn’t get fired. I have a new assignment with Gringotts,” stated Bill as he stepped into his old home.

Molly looked at him. There was something off about him, but she will feed him then find out what he’s up to. “Go and sit in your old chair, and I’ll get your father and the rest of the family up.”

Molly closed the door and walked to the stairs. On the way, she noticed her son’s hair was getting rather long. Actually, it really needed to be trimmed. “After breakfast, I’ll trim your hair. It is getting much too long. You need to look professional.”

“I don’t need my hair cut,” he protested.

“Arthur, get up, Bill is back from Egypt,” she shouted up the stairs.

“Bill? Bill is here,” answered her husband groggily.

“Yes, he just made it back a few minutes ago. Give the rest of the family a shake on your way down,” she shouted back.

Turning back to the stove she started to think about everything they had for her to cook. It was a good thing that they had picked up some extras yesterday.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Her mum’s shouting woke Ginny up. There was really no need for her father to tell anyone but Ron to get up. They were all awake. She could hear them moving about in their rooms.

She had a terrible night of sleep. She twisted and turned and couldn’t get comfortable. Her nightshirt was twisted up something fierce around her chest and under her arms.

“Ginny, dear are you awake?” asked her father from the landing outside her door.

“I’m, WHAAAT!” she screamed. She had reached down to adjust her nightshirt and found something that she never had before; more precisely two things that she never had like that before, breasts.

Her father opened the door and stood there opened mouthed staring at her. They stared at each other too shocked to say anything. She had just awakened to discover that she had become a woman and had a chest that was bulging out of her night shirt. He father had also discovered the same thing. Neither of them said anything for a couple of long awkward seconds.

“Who are you,” bellowed her father.

“Dad, I’m Ginny,” she screamed as she pulled her worn quilt up over her. Her legs stuck out the bottom of the quilt. Feeling exposed, she quickly pulled them up also trying to hide them behind the threadbare fabric.

“My daughter is ten years old. What have you done with her,” shouted her dad, as he pulled his wand and pointed at her.

His action scared her and made her cower even further behind the quilt. She could hear her mum shouting and running up the stairs and feet above her thundering down the stairs. In less than a minute, her entire family except for Ron, who was probably still sound asleep, was in her room staring at her.

“Who are you and what have you done with our daughter? Speak, if you know what is good for you,” shouted her mum, while also pointing her wand at her.

“I am Ginny,” she weakly replied.

“No you are not,” screamed her mum as sparks flew from the tip of her wand.

“Yes, she is Mum,” said Bill. He stepped between her and their enraged family. “She has soul bonded. She is an adult now.”

“But — but she is only considered to be an adult,” stuttered their mum.

“There is much we wizards do not know about soul bonds but the goblins have kept records of them. Why don’t we go down to the kitchen, while Mum gets some clothes for Gin-Gin to wear?”

Her entire family stood their mute to Bill’s request, but they all slowly turned and walked out of her room. They all looked back at her several times as if she might change back to her ten year old self.

Her mum stood there and looked upset by all of this. She kept mumbling something to herself that Ginny couldn’t hear.

“All right up with you, let’s see if there is anything that will fit you.”

Ginny slowly stood up and let the quilt drop. From where she was standing, she could see herself in her mirror. Her night shirt was way too tight and pulled up exposing herself both top and bottom. As she looked at herself in the mirror, she didn’t recognize the reflection. She still had red hair and freckles, but she looked, dare she boast, beautiful.

“Put some clothes on, you look like a scarlet woman,” shouted her mirror to her.

Ginny could not help but laugh. This seemed to make her mother even angrier.

“There is nothing here that will fit. I will adjust one of my robes for you. Get out of that thing while I am gone,” her mum ordered as she left the room.

Ginny pushed the small night shirt off her, and wrapped up in the quilt again. Her mum returned in a few minutes with an old set of robes that she had from her Hogwarts days. They were a little threadbare and moth eaten, but they would cover her well enough to be seen in public.

“Put these on.”

Ginny complied and after her mum had temporarily adjusted them to fit her. They went down to the kitchen and the rest of the family.

“Has anyone Flooed Professor Dumbledore?” asked her mum when they entered the kitchen. When no one responded she went over to the Floo.

“Mum, stop, listen to what I have to say,” demanded Bill.

Her mum turned on him. “Did you know about this?” she said pointing at Ginny.

Bill stared at Ginny for several seconds.

“I found out last night. Grins Gringott came to Egypt to get me. Mum, everyone, something amazing has happened here. I know it defies all logic, but Ginny has soul bonded to Harry Potter. Even from everything that is known about soul bonds, it happening when they are this young is an amazing feat of magic.

“Ginny, have you ever met him before yesterday?” asked Bill.

“No,” she said. Her voice sounded so strange to her. Her brothers and father staring at her made her feel uncomfortable.

“That makes it even stranger. There must be a connection of love between the two of them for it to work.”

“Ah, is that all,” laughed George. “Ginny has been in love with him and wanting to marry him and have his babies forever. She loves him enough for both.”

“This is not funny, George,” screamed her mum.

“What? I didn’t say anything,” answered Fred.

Ginny giggled at the twins’ antics.

“I will say that he will be surprised when he sees this new and improved Ginny. You aren’t a specky little freckle faced annoyance anymore,” said Fred.

“You are actually beautiful, Ginny, that was why we couldn’t recognize you,” said George.

Ginny started to laugh, but realized she was just insulted. She didn’t have a chance to say anything back, because her mum exploded on them.

“ENOUGH, THIS IS NOT A JOKING MATTER. YOU SISTER’S YOUTH HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM HER. SHE DOESN’T HAVE AN EDUCATION. WHAT WILL SHE DO?”

“I am here to take her to Gringotts. They are preparing things for her and Harry. There are aspects about their bond that will need special training.”

“No!” shouted her mum.

“Mum, the reason we don’t know about soul bonds is because they are ancient magic. Ever since we started using wands, our knowledge and acceptance of ancient magic has waned until we no longer understand it. They need special training.”

Ginny watched as her mum and Bill stared at each other. Her dad put his arm around her mum.

“Molly, I trust Bill. We must do what is best for Ginny.”

“But Arthur she is only ten years old,” her mum cried.

A sudden wave of emotion swept over Ginny. She felt as if she was a horrible person. She could see images of people yelling at her and calling her a freak. They locked her in a small cupboard under a set of stairs. The house wasn’t one she had ever been in before.

Everyone hated her, no one loved her. She felt as if she didn’t deserve to live. As if no one could ever possibly love her. Everyone she knew glared at her with contempt and blamed all their problems on having her living with them. She was desperate because they all wanted to send her to prison for the rest of her life for being her. She just wanted to get away some place where people could love her.

Tears were running down her face as she sobbed from the grief of being rejected by the ones that were supposed to love you. It didn’t matter what happened to her because she didn’t matter. She just needed to get away.

She felt a hand on her shoulder then she was falling. It was more like she was being sucked through a long tube much like side-along Apparation, but this was different. She had never turned. She had no destination in mind, but she was going someplace.

She landed with a thud on a dusty floor. Two other thuds accompanied hers. She looked up and saw Bill still holding onto her shoulder. Just inches from her, she saw a scared man. He was holding an owl cage that held a frazzled snowy owl. He had a wand between his teeth, tear streaked face, and he was wearing the most hideous clothes she had ever seen.

It was his eyes that mesmerized her. They were the most beautiful green eyes she had ever seen. No, she had seen them before, yesterday.

“Harry?” she asked him.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Ginny,” she said. She could feel her face flushing. It might have been from embarrassment, but she couldn’t tell. “We met yesterday. Ginerva Weasley.”

He smiled at her. “You look so different.”

“So do you.” She just stared at him. Yesterday he was cute. Today he was absolutely gorgeous, except his ill-fitting glasses and ugly clothes.

“It’s the soul bond,” said Bill. “Did they tell you would be considered adults?”

Ginny couldn’t remember. She blushed even more after remembering she fainted when she discovered who had his arms around her.

“Yes, sir, they did. A woman said we were legally married and considered adults,” answered Harry. “Who are you?”

Bill chuckled. “I’m your brother-in-law. More importantly I am from Gringotts. I came to take you two to Grins so we can protect you and train you.”

“Professor Dumbledore, told me not to trust the goblins.”

Ginny noticed even though his voice was mature he still spoke like an eleven-year old.

“I am sure he did, but I don’t think he realizes what is going on here. Did he tell you that you would grow into full adults?”

“No,” answered Harry.

“The goblins knew that. There are other reasons why you two need to go to Gringotts. Let me take you there, and then you decide what you want to do. How much do you know about the magical community, Harry? No one knows where you were sent after that night.”

“I didn’t even know I was a wizard until two days ago,” said Harry shyly. “I know nothing about all of this. Is this normal?”

Ginny stared at him. It was almost like she could see his very thoughts. In fact, she realized that she could feel his emotions and see some of his thoughts.

“Where have you been staying? Who has been abusing you?” she yelled. She almost cried herself when she saw him cringe like he was expecting her to slap him. She even saw him in his memories being slapped.

“My Aunt and Uncle’s, but they don’t want me anymore,” he mumbled out.

She laid her hand on his shoulder. The touch made her fingers tingle. “I do want you. You will never need to worry about not being wanted by anyone ever again, Harry.”

She felt so good saying that to him. He smiled at her with genuine joy in his face.

“Thank you.”

They stood like that looking at each other for some unknown amount of time. Ginny even forgot about her brother being there until he spoke again.

“Why did you come here, Harry?”

“I am not sure. I just wanted to go someplace where I can feel safe and — and loved,” he stuttered. He looked at her with an expression of desperation.

Ginny’s heart was aching for this man. A part of her wanted to hug and hold him, and even kiss him, but the ten year old girl was still embarrassed at such thoughts. So she stood there gazing in his eyes with her hand on his shoulder.

“So you came to your home,” said Bill from somewhere to the right of them.

Harry broke their intense gaze at Bill’s statement. “My what?” he asked.

Ginny also looked at her brother. They were in a destroyed room that looked to have once been a nursery. One half of the room was covered in dust but otherwise in good condition with cot, rocking chair, a dresser that had several pictures on it. On the other half of the room, there was a gaping hole in the outside wall and everything on that side of room was charred as if there had been a fiery explosion. Bill was over by the dresser looking at something.

“Your old home, Harry,” said Bill sympathetically. He turned and walked back to them holding a picture in his hand. “I do believe this is a picture of your parents.”

Ginny felt so many emotions wash over her as Harry took the picture form Bill. His emotions were out of control. She was finally able to sort out what he was feeling.

“You never saw a picture of your parents before?” she asked completely shocked. He and his parents were the most famous family in modern magical Britain, and he had no idea what they even looked like.

Harry looked at her with tear filled eyes. “No,” he choked out. “What happened here? How did they die? I had always been told they were drunks and died in a car crash, but Hagrid told me that was a lie.”

“Your parents were not drunks and they didn’t die in a car crash,” growled Bill. “They were fighting against a wizard so evil that no one wants to say his name. He was determined to kill your entire family…,”

“Why?” interrupted Harry.

“No one knows, or I should say I don’t know. He did things like that; target families that didn’t agree with him. He and his followers would kill entire families. He was after yours. He killed your mother and father, but when he tried to kill you. He was destroyed. I am guessing in this room.”

Ginny had chills run through her. This was the room where Harry defeated the most evil wizard ever.

“How did I do that?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know. I was only a little older than you two actually are now. We may find that out later. Right now, I need to get you to Gringotts and some better clothes to wear.”

“I have money at Griggotts, but I left my key at my Aunt’s home,” answered Harry.

“I have some clothes at Gringotts. I have all my belongiings there. I had no idea where this assignment will take me. You are about my size, so you can borrow some until we can buy you some more,” said Bill sizing up Harry.

Bill put his arm out. “Have you ever side along Apparated before?”

“That was a stupid question,” laughed Ginny. “He has no knowledge of magic.”

“What is that?” asked a puzzled Harry.

“I am going to take you and Ginny to my office in Gringotts. We will disappear here and reappear there,”explained Bill.

“Is — is it safe?” asked a scared Harry.

“Yes, if you are qualified as I am,” stated Bill. “Just get a firm grip on my arm and Ginny get a good grip on Harry. I will direct us. Remember to turn slightly to the left with me.”

Harry placed his hand on Bill’s arm. Ginny went to grab Harry’s arm, but still felt embarrassed at touching a man, so she only lightly touched his forearm.

“You are going to have to grab him tighter than that and get much closer,” laughed Bill.

She wrapped her arm around Harry’s and stepped closer to him. His close proximity made her blush as so many feelings and emotions swept over her. Harry looked at her wide eyed at her close proximity. He was also blushing as he stared at her. They stood there staring in each others eyes blushing. Bill’s laughter made her look away fom Harry.

“I was going to tell you that you are acting like a couple of ten year olds, but then you are a couple of ten year olds. Everyone hold on tight.”

With a sudden turn everything became dark and the feeling of being pulled through a tube overwhelmed Ginny.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Inheritance

Author's Notes: This chpater will explian why the goblins are so interested in Harry's soul bond. Hopefully, I have covered all the requirments for the challenge. I have left the stroy unfinished. I am thinking about where to take it from here, and may still finish it.


They had reached Bill’s office in one piece. Bill had clothes for Harry and he also had some bread, cheese, dates from Egypt with him. They all ate the strange breakfast too shocked and nervous to talk. Hedwig didn’t eat any of the meal, even though she must be starving because they had no owl treats for her.

Harry was now dressed as a wizard. He was feeling better about himself even though he was completely overwhelmed by everything that had happened to him in just the past two days. They were now standing in front of a waterfall in the middle of the bank. It hid a hallway that Bill said was the entrance to the offices of the most important goblins in Gringotts. On each side of the waterfall were two mean looking goblins in armor and holding long battleaxes that had spikes sticking out of the handle down to where the goblins held them. The battleaxes were almost three times as long as the goblins were tall.

Harry was holding Ginny’s hand, though he was still confused by why this happened to him. How could someone so beautiful care about him? Bill had mentioned something about the soul bond needing a great deal of love for it to form. He could only think that this love had come from Ginny. How could he ever be capable of loving anyone that much when he had no idea what being loved was like?

“Are you ready to go?” asked Bill.

“We are going to get soaked,” complained Ginny.

“No, we are not. The waterfall is magical. It will wash away any deceptions or disguises you may be under. You will appear on the other side dry and looking like your real self.”

“Will I be eleven again?” asked Harry.

“No, you are who you are, Harry,” said Bill. “Lets get moving.”

Harry gripped Ginny’s hand tighter for courage and stepped forward. He walked through the waterfall unchanged. There were four more goblins on the other side. They walked through three other magical barriers intended to stop anyone conceling weapons, dangerous creatures, and finally anyone wishing to harm the goblins. They stopped at a large plain oak door.

Bill knocked on the door and spoke something in a strange gutteral language. Harry heard the language spoken on the other side of the door.

“It’s Gobblygook the goblins’ native language,” whispered Ginny into Harry’s ear. The warmth of her breath and her close proximity caused strong emotions to rush through Harry.

The door creaked open to reveal a hallway with several doors. They walked past the other doors and to the end. The door was again heavy wood without decorations. Bill knocked this time, and spoke.

“It is Bill Weasley with Harry Potter and Ginny Wea — er — Potter.”

Harry’s eyes bulged to hear Ginny addressed as Potter. It reminded him that this beautiful woman was his wife. He was eleven years old and married to probably the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

“Come on you two, don’t just stand there and blush all over each other,” laughed Bill. He stood in the open doorway.

Harry walked in and looked around the office. It was well furnished without being lavish.There was a large desk filled with scrolls. The desk was wide but lower then what he had expected. Behind it sat the same goblin that announced their soul bond.

“Mr. and Mrs. Potter, please have a seat,” offered the old goblin.

Harry sat down still holding Ginny’s hand. He could sense that she was just as nervous about this as he was.

“I see the sould bond has started to work its magic. That is good because it shows it is a strong bond,” said the goblin with glee. “You may wonder why I am so interested in your bond. The answer is actually two-fold. The goblins have always kept with the ancient ways of magic. Soul bonds are that type of magic. Secondly, it concerns you Mr. Potter. You are now an adult and therefore you need to be informed about your inheritance.”

“I —I lost my key,” he stuttered.

The goblin looked at him with a strange expression.

“Your key? You mean the key to that vault you had from your father?”

“Yes, it is at my Aunt’s house….”

“Do not worry about that trivial amount. It will be included with your other accounts now that you are an adult.”

Harry gulped as he thought he had a lot of money in that vault. The goblin looked at Bill than at Harry.

“I and my family have a long standing relationship with the Potter family. I personally have handled your grandfather’s accounts ever since he died nine years ago.”

Harry was shocked at that statement. “My Grandfather Potter was alive when my parents died?” He almost shouted.

“Yes, he was most devastated that Albus Dumbledore took you from him and hid you.”

Harry was upset by this, but the emotions coming from Ginny were even more intense. He could almost feel hatred coming from her. It was hot, intense, and almost electric. The goblin stopped talking and stared at the two of them. He seemed to be enjoying what he was seeing.

“I see you two are sharing emotions. That is good. Your bond is indeed very strong.”

There was a knock on the door. The goblin didn’t even speak, before the door opened and in strode Albus Dumbledore.

“I understand that you are meeting with Harry without me present, I protest this arrangement,” he said. He stopped talking and stared Harry and Ginny. It was obvious he was confused by their mature appearances. “Where is Harry?”

“I am right here,” he snapped at this man who kept him from his grandfather to place him in an abusive home.

The old wizard regained his composure. “I insist that you come home straight away. You must go back to your Aunts home….”

Ginny released her grip on Harry hand. She flew past him as her temper raged out of control. “Harry will never go back to that house. You placed him in a house where everyone hated him and abused him. You had no right to take him away from his grandfather to send him to a place to be treated him like that. Did you know they had made him live in a cupboard under the stairs.They called him a freak. They beat him. They made him feel unworthy of being loved. He will not go back there and you will not cause him anymore pain. Ever!” she screamed at the man.

With her last exclamation, Albus Dumbledore was propelled out of the door and the door slammed shut. Harry stared in shock at what happened. The entire room seemed to be too shocked to process what had happened. Ginny hadn’t used a wand.

She was the first to move, as she returned to his side and took his hand. He looked at her. He could tell she was slightly embarrassed, but she also truly felt everything she had said. Without thinking about it, he kissed her cheek. He could feel his face flushing again and hers quickly did the same.

“That was impressive,” stated the goblin.

A knock was heard on the door again. “May I come in and explain my reasons?” asked Albus Dumbledore from the other side of the door.

“Do you want him in here?” the goblin asked Harry and Ginny.

Harry thought about it. He wanted to know why he did what he did. “Yes, I would like to hear his explanation.”

“Enter,” shouted the goblin.

Albus Dumbledore entered the office again and sat down on the other side of Bill.

“To begin with Harry, I placed you with your Aunt because of the sacrifice your mother made for you. She wasn’t supposed to die that night, but she wouldn’t let Voldemort kill you. When he killed her, her blood sacrifice of love protected you from dying. You didn’t stop Voldemort that night. Your mother’s love did.

“I placed you in your Aunts house because she was the only blood relative of your mothers. I enacted old magic that would protect you from Voldemort.”

“I thought he was dead,” interjected Bill.

Dumbledore glared at Bill for a second before continuing his explanation. “I have reason to believe that he did things to defy death. There was a spy amongst the Death Eaters that informed me of his boasting that he was almost immortal. I had to protect Harry from him and his followers.”

“He cannot return to that house, now,” stated the goblin. “That type of magic will only work until he is an adult, as you can see he is an adult now. Your plans have failed, Dumbledore. If you have nothing else to say, I would suggest you remain silent. Mr. and Mrs. Potter can I continue with the reading of your grandfather’s and father’s wills?”

“Yes, please do,” said Harry. He didn’t blush this time. He seemed to be getting used to hearing Ginny called Mrs. Potter.

“As the sole heir to the Potter estate, you now have ownership of the Potter Family vault at Gringotts. We will place your father’s vault back into the main vault and also the small vault that was left for you. You will inherit all the properties that your family has acquired over the years.

“I have been overseeing these properties even before the death of your grandparents. They are all empty and are being kept up by House Elves. Do you wish me to continue?”

“Yes, I guess,” he replied. “Excuse me, what are House Elves?” Harry knew it was a stupid question by everyone’s reactions.

“I’ll explain later,” said Bill.

“How many places did Harry inherit?” asked Ginny.

“You and Mr. Potter have inherited eleven homes in eight different countries. There are three here in England, two in France, one in Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, and Morocco. Their value very greatly from the house that was used by your parents in Godric’s hollow to an expansive estate in Turkey. All together they are worth more than ten million galleons in today’s financial market.”

Ginny and Bill all gasped at the same time. Harry had no concept of what that was in British Pounds, but it had to be a lot.

“Over the next twenty minutes, the goblin that Harry learned was the head of the bank, Grins Gringotts, explained to him about his wealth in business and real estate holdings. It was all so overwhelming for him. He had no idea that his family was so wealthy.

When the goblin had finished reading from the scrolls, he bent down behind the desk and picked up a large shallow stone basin and set it on the desk in front of Harry and Ginny.

“I will need your help with this part Mr. Weasley,” said the goblin.

“I have experience with Pensieves,” said Albus Dumbledore.

“I want Bill,” spat Ginny. The old wizard cowered back into his chair at her exclamation.

The goblin opened a vial of some type of silvery liquid. He poured it into the basin. It moved like a congealed vapor. In the basin it swirled to form silvery storm clouds. Bill stood up and stuck his wand into the basin and swirled the vapors. The vapors started forming something above the basin.

Harry was shocked to see the form of an old man and woman appear out of the vapor. They both had silvery hair and deep wrinkles on their sad faces. Their eyes were dark and sunken, yet they also had the appearance as though they had both been very good looking in their youth.

“Harry, my darling grandson,” spoke the spectral image of the man. “Louise and I just buried your father and mother two days ago.” He stopped as emotion overtook him. The woman appeared to be unable to speak as she just sobbed into his shoulder.

“We were told that we can’t see you for yours and our safety by Albus Dumbledore. He hid you from us. We could protect you in ways he could only imagine.” He practically yelled this statement.

“Anyway, if you are seeing this than one of the Gringotts is showing it to you, if it is Grins than I would like to thank my old friend for taking care of things for us. Thank you, Grins for all that you have done. Harry, trust the Gringotts family of goblins. I am sure that they will explain it to you.

“I am not sure if you know of your wealth or the responsibility that comes with it. Being as wealthy as you have just become doesn’t mean you have no responsibilities to anyone else. It means you have even more. We were so concerned that your father didn’t realize that fact. We were very old when he was born. A bit of a late in life miracle,” he said with smile. “We overindulged him, and he became a bit of — of….”

“Oh say it Maurice, he was a spoiled brat,” laughed Louise. “Your mother changed him into the man we wanted him to be. We will ever be grateful to your mum for that. So, please remember others in your decisions. I hope you find a wonderful woman to marry, like your father. We love you Harry James Potter.”


The images dissolved into mist and sank back down into the basin. Harry was almost openly sobbing. He couldn’t tell if Ginny was getting angry at Dumbledore for putting his grandparents through such torture or if the emotions were entirely his own. He tried to hold his tongue as Bill siphoned the memory out of the basin and placed it in the original vial, but was unable to contain his anger.

“How could you do this,” he hissed.

Even though Harry hadn’t mentioned Dumbledore, he answered. “There were still Death Eaters roaming England looking for Voldemort and you, Harry. I knew you were safe by being at your Aunt’s house.”

“Why was it so important for me to be safe?”

Albus Dumbledore pulled his wand. Harry, Ginny, and Bill all jerked wondering if what he was going to do. He placed his wand to his temple and pulled a silvery thread of vapor out of his head. At this time Harry didn’t even think it was that strange of a thing to do. Dumbledore placed it in the basin and swirled the vapor. A strange looking woman with large glasses, wearing a ratty shawl, and an excessive amount of beads rose out of the vapors and started speaking in a strange hoarse voice. She finished and sank back inside of the basin.

“That was a prophecy that tells of you being the only one to destroy Voldemort. One of his Death Eaters had also heard a part of it. He told Voldemort, who in turn made it his personal mission to kill you. You see Harry. You are the reason your parents are dead. They died protecting you. I am only trying to protect you. Your well being is of the upmost importance to me.”

“Is his well-being important to you, Professor? Or do you see him as a weapon to use against your enemy?” questioned Bill.

“Do you believe that goblins are interested in Harry’s well being,” countered Dumbledore.

“My family is,” said Grins Gringotts. “Centuries ago during one of the wizards’ purges of my race, an ancestor of the Potters put himself at great risk to rescue the clan Gringotts from persecution. He used a family heirloom to save us, which I do believe is still in your possession.

“He did this because he believed that our race had the right to live peacefully with his. He never asked anything from my ancestors. That impressed my ancestors so greatly that they swore an oath that no Gringotts could ever harm or allow harm to come to a descendant of a Potter. In fact, it was this ancient descendant of Harry’s that helped the Gringotts clan to start this bank. So you see I owe Harry a life debt, as does my children, and my grandchildren.”

Bill let out a low whistle at Grins statement. The goblin gave him a stern look and looked at Dumbledore. “I want that Cloak back here at the bank tomorrow morning. It is Harry’s and if you don’t I will have you prosecuted as a thief. Now if there will be no other interruptions, I have another memory for Mr. Potter. You can remove your memory first, Headmaster Dumbledore.”

He waited until the Headmaster had removed his memory before pouring another memory into the basin, which Bill stirred. A young couple rose out of the basin. They were holding a baby. Harry recognized his parents from the picture in his home.

“Hi, Harry,” said his father. “If you are viewing this than we are dead. Please don’t grieve for us, because you gave us the greatest joy in our life.” When his father said this, his mum hugged and kissed the baby.

“There are some things you need to know, son. I hope that the future isn’t as dark as our time is, because it is so hard to know who to trust now. We are hiding from an evil wizard. He believes that you are the only one who can defeat him.

“We are hidden by a Fidelius Charm. Your mum cast the Charm. However, the Charm needs a Secret Keeper. Originally, Professor Dumbledore wanted to be our Secret Keeper. We considered this option, but beside you, Professor Dumbledore is probably his main target. We told Professor Dumbledore that we were going to use one of my best friends, Sirius Black.

“When we went to cast the Charm, Sirius decided it would be best if we didn’t use him. He said he would most likely be the first person that they would come after. They have ways of extracting information that eventually Sirius would have revealed us, before dying. He was so sure he would be targeted that he suggested Peter Pettigrew.

“Sirius would hide Peter, and then check in with us every two days. If we didn’t see him, we were to go collect Peter and hide him with us. Sirius was willing to be tortured to death for us, for you, son. If he does die that way please honor him for the hero that he was. I hope you don’t have to see this, but if you do. Then you will need to choose who to trust carefully. If Sirius is still alive, you can trust him, and he is your godfather. Remus Lupin is another person you can trust, even if he doesn’t trust himself, because of his furry little problem.”

“Oh James, you are such a —oh, never mind,” said his mum. “Remus is a werewolf, Harry. He is a nice man and hates what happens to him every month.”

“You just need to have secure location for him on the full moon. He is totally trustworthy, Harry. Peter is also but if we are not around then he probably won’t be either. We love you son,” shouted his dad.

“We love you son,” said his mother.

“Marry a redhead,” shouted his dad as the image faded away.


Harry was once again crying, but he was also laughing about his father’s statement of marrying a redhead. He could sense that Ginny was also laughing about it.

“Merlin, what have I done,” whispered Albus Dumbledore. As everyone’s eyes focused on him, he explained further. “Sirius Black is serving a life sentence in Azkaban for killing Peter Pettigrew and twelve other Muggles. He kept saying that Peter was alive and he was the one that killed the Muggles. It was my testimony that Sirius Black had betrayed your parents that convinced the Ministry to send him to Azkaban without a trial. All the time, it was Peter Pettigrew that had betrayed your parents.

“Harry, can I have your permission to take that memory to the Ministry. I want Madam Bones to see it and get an innocent man out of that horrible prison.”

Harry stared at the old wizard. He seemed genuine enough, but could he be trusted? “You can have it, but be sure to return it with the cloak that Mr. Gringotts talked about.”

“Thank you Harry, I will have both of them back to the bank this afternoon,” Albus stated. He quickly siphoned the memory out of the basin and placed it in the vial. “I know you don’t trust me, but you can be assured I never wanted to cause you any harm. I was only doing what was best for you and the community. There are many things you need to know and learn. I remember Mr. Weasley as being an excellent student, but there are many things he may not be able to teach you.”

“I trust him, and I think I can learn a lot from him. You may have been only doing what you thought was best, but was it really what was best over all?” Harry questioned him.

The Professor smiled at him while peering over his half moon glasses. “You have matured much in the past two days.”

Harry watched the Professor leave the room. Everyone seemed to be waiting on him to say something. He looked at Grins Gringotts, Bill Weasley, and then Ginny. They were staring at him.

“I supposed you think I was wrong for allowing him to have the memory?”

“No, Mr. Potter,” started Grins Gringotts. “Albus is correct. You have matured. I am glad to see that the Potter family is once again led by one such as yourself and your grandfather.”

“Harry, I passed my NEWTs with high marks, but there are many things that I don’t know,” stated Bill.

Harry looked at Ginny waiting for her to say something.

“Say what you feel Harry,” she reassured him.

“I would like to have Remus Lupin and Sirius Black help you, Bill. If for no other reason, I can get to know my parents better.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was once again sailing along on the tracks deep under London in a cart driven by a goblin. The difference was he was sitting in the back holding Ginny with Hedwig’s cage squeezed between them and the head of Gringotts bank was the one driving the cart. He kept smiling as they twisted and turned.

“Have you ever flown?” shouted Ginny to be heard over the rush of the wind and noise of the carts casters.

“No, I have never been in a plane,” he yelled back to her. He received a piercing stare from her.

“I meant on a broom,” she shouted back to him.

“Of course not.”

“You would love it. I can tell you are enjoying riding on this. You will love a broom. The freedom you feel while soaring through the air…,”

“I didn’t think you were allowed on a broom yet, Gin-Gin,” shouted Bill from the front of the cart.

Harry could feel an emotion that he could only call smug satisfaction.

“I’m not,” shouted Ginny.

The cart suddenly started slowing down. Grins and Bill started talking in Gobbleygook, while looking to their right. Harry looked that direction. He noticed a wizard and a Goblin at a vault. At first he saw nothing wrong with the scene, until he noticed that the wizard had a wand pointed at the goblin.

Bill turned around in his seat. “I need the two of you to get out and stay behind me. Above all else, keep holding each other’s hand.”

Harry looked at Ginny. She was just as puzzled as he was by these orders.

The cart moved to an intersection of the tracks. They changed their direction and approached the vault where the wizard was holding a goblin at wand point. As they approached them, Bill pulled his wand and Grins pulled a short sword or a long knife.

Their cart stopped and Grins and Bill jumped out. Ginny leapt from the cart pulling Harry with her. He wasn’t ready for her to jump like that. He was amazed how agile she was. The wizard finally saw them approaching and shot some spell at them. It ricocheted away halfway to them.

“Drop your wand. You are in violation of Gringotts rules,” shouted Bill.

The other wizard laughed a high pitched evil laugh that made Harry’s skin crawl and his scar thud with pain. The goblin that had disappeared inside of the vault ran out and started towards Grins and Bill. There was flash of green and the running goblin fell onto the ground.

Harry knew the goblin was dead.

Bill fired a curse at the wizard. He was just able to block it, but it collided with stone wall and exploded while driving the wizard from his feet. The explosion created a shower of stone. While he was trying to right himself, Grins threw the short sword at him.

The wizard saw it a split second before it sunk into his body. Then something confused Harry, black smoke billowed out of the wizard’s hood and gathered above the slumping body.

Everyone stood there staring at the sight. The smoke suddenly formed a face, and screamed as it rushed towards them. Harry was scared. He knew it wasn’t only him but also Ginny. This wasn’t any type of magic that she was familiar with. All he could think of was protecting her.

A silver dome appeared around all four of them. The dark apparition collided with it. It seemed to scream out in agony before flying off into the vast tunnels of Gringotts.

“What was that?” asked Ginny.

“I don’t know,” shouted Bill over his shoulder. After the silver dome disappeared, he ran towards the wizard who was slumped against the stone walls of the cavern.

Harry and Ginny followed him as they were directed. The wizard was barely alive. Bill pushed his black hood off his face. Harry gasped.

“That’s Professor Quirr — Quirrem. Oh, I don’t know how to pronounce his name. He was supposed to be teaching at Hogwarts.”

“Master, don’t leave me,” the wizard wheezed out. “Master, please save me.”

“Who is your master,” demanded Bill.

“Master, help me.”

“Who is your master?”

The wizard was pale and obviously dying. He looked at Bill with clouded eyes. “I serve the Dark Lord,” he said with his last breath.

Bill let the wizard’s head unceremoniously drop onto the stone floor. “Dumbledore was right. We need to get Harry and Ginny to safety. If he had been given the chance, he would have killed you two.”

By this time there were multiple carts filled with goblins arriving, they all had swords like Grins. He looked at them and shouted out orders in their language. He turned to Harry and Ginny.

“We need to get you to safety,” stated Grins.

“Can we stop at our vault?” asked Harry. He was curious what it was like. He knows they should leave, but he needed money. There was also a feeling he was having that he needed to go into the vault.

“Yes, there are books and records there that Mr. Weasley will need,” stated Grins.

They were back in the cart and flying along the rails. They passed through the same protections they had walked through earlier in the hallway, before coming to two huge steel doors guarded by six goblins with battle axes. They had no numbers on them. One had a letter “P” ornately etched into it, and the other had some symbol etched into the front of it.

Grins stepped out of the cart and walked to the door with the “P”. “Place your hands on the door and state that you are the Master and Mistress of the House of Potter. It may take a few minutes for the Charms to identify you.”

Harry and Ginny walked forward and placed both of their hands on the door. They said what they were told to do. Harry felt a strange sensation wash over him as if he was being touched by invisible fingers. He looked at Ginny and realized she was feeling the same things. After several minutes of this strange feeling the door shifted with a boom and a hiss. Dust rose from around it as it moved away and into the wall.

If Harry was surprised by his vault yesterday, he was shocked beyond thinking at the sight of this vault. It was as high as Aunt Petunia’s house was tall. It looked like one could fit two of her houses inside of it.
There were stacks of gold Galleons as high as him and stretching for several yards and looking to be several yards wide. There were artifacts in there that Harry couldn’t believe. Shining coats of armor from various centuries, various types of medieval weapons many of them golden or silver, swords with large gems in the pommel. All the armor seemed to be in pristine condition except one. It was battered chain mail armor. It had a large accompanying shield with several nicks from swords in it. The chain mail was covered over by a white tunic that had a single large red cross on it.

He went to step into the vault but Ginny held him back. He looked at her and realized that she was still staring in awe at the vault. He looked and saw Bill also staring at it.

“You’ve seen vaults like this before, haven’t you?” he asked Bill.

“Are you barkin? I have never seen this much wealth in one area,” he said while still staring at it all. “I need some books.”

Bill stepped into the actual vault. He was looking around and shouted like he found something special.

“A seven lock box, this is great we can store everything we need in one place,” Bill shouted. He found a set of keys and started to open the various locks. Harry marveled as one compartment after another appeared out the box, each one seeming to take up the entire area of the box. Bill started stuffing books and scrolls into one of the compartments. He closed it then put in a variety of weapons in another. He grabbed a leather bag and filled it with various coins and dumped it in another.

Harry looked at Ginny who was still wide-eyed staring at the contents of the vault. Her gaze was fixed on something off to the left. He followed her gaze and saw what she was looking at. It was a dressing area that had a wardrobe filled with silk and lace gowns. Beside it was large armoire filled with sparkling jewelry. Harry was surprised at the amount of jewels just piled up on the top of the armoire.

He tugged at her hand and moved over to the armoire. He had a strange feeling that the special thing he needed was in there. With his free hand he looked through the jewelry. While he was looking he came across a blue sapphire pendant surrounded by diamonds on a gold chain. He hung it around Ginny’s neck.

“Harry, I can’t take this.”

“It is ours, Ginny. All of this is ours,” he said waving his hand around the vault. He went back to finding whatever it was that was calling him, He pulled drawers out, each one filled with more ornate jewelry of expensive stones. There were emeralds, rubys, sapphires, and diamonds of various shades and sizes.
He stopped looking when he opened one drawer. He pushed aside several large gaudy necklaces to find a mahagony box. He picked it up. He knew looking at it this was what he wanted.

Pushing the lid up with his thumb, he saw three rings inside; two gilded bands of gold and large diamond ring. He turned and looked at Ginny. As she stared at the rings, she seemed to look confused. He could also feel her confusion and wasn’t sure why she was so confused.

“Those were your grandparents, Harry,” said Grins. “They gave them to me to give to you. They would be honored if you wore them.”

Harry looked back at Ginny. Why was she so confused and it felt almost like she was upset about something. He placed the ring box in his pocket.

“We will eventually,” he said to Grins. He could feel Ginny relax a little, but there was still the feeling of anxiety and confusion.

“All right everyone, it is time for us to leave,” shouted Bill from across the vault. He was Levitating the seven lock chest with his wand. On top of the chest was Hedwig nervously flapping his wings as the balance of the trunk shifted.

“Follow me,” ordered Grins. He started walking out of the vault.

After they left the vault, the door moved out of the wall and sealed up again. Grins walked towards a door that Harry had not seen earlier. It was small, barely taller than Bill and himself. The door was steel and there was a worn path leading to it.

“Your great-great-great-grandfather helped us make this when we expanded to other countries, Harry,” said Grins. He opened the door and inside was a large empty room.

“Follow me, you two,” stated Bill, as he walked into the vault.

Harry and Ginny followed his orders. They were confused by what was happening. Why were they inside of this empty room and what was so special about it?

“Which bank should I go to?” Bill asked Grins.

“This is connected to the Potter residences also; all you need to say is ‘the Potter Residence’ and the country where it is located. You will be in their lowest level of its basement. For France and England you will be sent to the manor house in each country.”

“Brilliant,” exclaimed Bill. “Do you two care if we go to Morroco? I have always wanted to go there?”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other. She was just as confused as he was.

“Sure,” they said together.

“All right then, we are going to Morroco. Grins send Remus Lupin and Sirius Black through as soon as possible. I have a plan that will ensure their dedication and Harry and Ginny’s safety.”

“I shall,” said Grins as he closed the door.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny paced back and forth in front of the mirror above the sinks in her and Harry’s bathroom. Her nerves were out of control. So much has happened over the past thirty-six hours. Yesterday as she left her ramshackle home, she was the youngest out of seven children of a poor family. Within hours she would soul bond to Harry Potter, the most famous young wizard alive. She was now married to him because of the soul bond. Not only was he famous, he was now the Head of the House of Potter, which could possible the wealthiest family in the magical world.

The soul bond had caused other things also, not only was she considered an adult, but she was physically an adult. Harry also physically matured into an adult, even though he still acted at times like the eleven year old he was.

So here she was pacing inside of her bathroom afraid or nervous to leave and go to her bedroom. This day had been a whirlwind of activities. She discovered she was a full grown woman, Harry desperate for comfort and help had pulled her across England to him, Bill had grabbed onto her and also met Harry, Bill had been sent from the head of Gringotts to help her and Harry, Grins Gringotts read Harry the will of his grandfather and father and discovered they were extremely wealthy with homes all over magical Europe, they went into the tunnels under Gringotts to discover a man trying to steal from a vault. They fought with him and discovered he was possessed by the spirit of Voldemort, then they saw the vast wealth that was theirs, Harry had picked out an engagement ring and wedding bands that were his grandparents from the vault, they magically transported to Morrocco, and they spent the rest of the day looking around this magnificent home. The home was large expansive and airy set on a hillside overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, they shopped and bought all brand new clothes for themselves without ever once caring how much they spent, she bought her first wand, and had a sumptuous dinner on the terrace watching the sun set in the Atlantic.

She looked up at her reflection in the mirror. It was amazing her head had not spun off her shoulders with a thirty-six hour time period like that. On top of all those things, something else was bothering her.

Harry had come out of the bathroom after getting ready for bed. He looked every bit the wealthy aristocrat. They had purchased pajamas of white silk. The climate here was warm and flannel wouldn’t be comfortable on warm nights. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of him. He was so bloody handsome.

It was then her turn to get ready for bed. She came into the bathroom of fine white, pink, and green marble, but she was afraid to leave. They were both considered to be adults. They both looked like adults. However, she was still a ten year old on the inside. She wasn’t sure if she can do this. She had no idea what she should do. She had an idea, but she didn’t even know the proper Charms and didn’t have any potions. Yesterday, that wasn’t important; she was still a scrawny unmarried ten year old girl.

What would he think?

When he found his grandparents’ wedding bands, he wanted her to put them on, but she said no. He seemed to be slightly hurt by this response. She had always imagined a formal wedding where all her friends could gather around and watch them exchange vows.

A feeling of anxiety washed over her. It was Harry. One of the effects of the soul bond was they could sense each other’s emotions and sometimes their thoughts. She stared at herself in the mirror. They are bonded. Nothing can change that. Hopefully, he will understand.

She stepped into the bedroom. She looked at the large canopy bed with its white flowing hangings. Harry wasn’t in the bed. She looked around the bedroom at the sitting area by the fireplace. Again he wasn’t there. Hedwig’s cage was empty. Stepping forward she noticed him on the balcony staring out over the ocean at Hedwig flying in the moonlight. His feelings of anxiety were still present. There was something about this that bothered Ginny.

She walked quietly across the scarlet and gold rug that covered most of the floor of the bedroom to the opened French doors of the balcony.

“Harry, is there something wrong?”

He turned and looked at her with sadness reflecting in his eyes. There were so many emotions running through his expression right now that Ginny could not read him.

“Are you happy?” he asked softly.

The question shocked her. She hesitated before answering him. He turned away from her.

“Yes, I am happy. Everything is just a bit overwhelming. Only yesterday I was a poor ten year old witch who only wore second hand clothes. Today, I am married. I have grown into a woman. My incredibly handsome husband is one of the wealthiest wizards in the world and I can buy anything I want now. We are standing on a balcony of one of our eleven homes, which is more incredible than I could have ever considered a home being. I’d be barmy if I wasn’t happy. Confused, would describe my feelings right now.”

She finished and saw him staring at her.

“You think I am handsome,” he asked in that boyish charm he had.

“Yes, you are.”

“I was afraid you regretted having bonded to me. I still don’t understand all of this. To tell the truth I have trouble understanding any of it. Two days ago, I didn’t even know I was a wizard, then to be married to you.”

He stopped and stared at her.

“You are so incredibly beautiful, Ginny,” he said while looking away. “I can’t figure why you would love me enough for this bond to happen. It had to be you. It couldn’t have been me. I have no memory of what it is to love and be loved. All of this is because of you.”

He stopped talking and looked at her before blushing and looking away. He seemed to be extremely nervous about something. He turned suddenly towards her.

“Thank you for loving me so much that we could create this bond and I love you,” he spat out so fast that Ginny could barely understand it.

It was the last three words that caught her attention. She realized that she had never told him that she loved him.

“I..,” suddenly her throat was tight and dry. Her hands became damp with sweat. “I love you, Harry,” she squeaked out.

“You do?” he exclaimed.

They both broke out into giggles. They were both acting their actual age. Almost all of Ginny anxieties had been relieved. There was only one that still bothered her.

“Harry,” she started out nervously.

“Yes love,” he answered.

Ginny was taken aback by the term of affection. She smiled up at him, amazed.

“I know we are considered to be married, but there is one thing I was hoping we could wait a while to do?” she asked him. His face fell. It was obvious he was disappointed.

“It’s all right. I understand,” he answered while moving slightly away from her.

Ginny became nervous at disappointing him like this. “I’m sorry, Harry, but I am not ready for sex. I don’t even have…,”

“SEX!” exclaimed Harry. He looked peaky and shocked beyond belief. “I —I just wanted to be able to kiss you good night. I will even go to another bedroom. I — I never…,” he stopped talking and ran his hand threw his raven locks. “No Ginny, I never. You can’t do that until you are married.”

Ginny giggled at him which made him glare at her . “We are married according to law.”

“But we never had a ceremony,” he countered.

“I know, but I do think of myself as your wife. Are you comfortable with being my husband?”

“Yes, I am so happy to be your husband, but I wasn’t sure if you were.”

Ginny looked at him. “Was it because I didn’t want to put on the wedding rings?”

He nodded his head, yes. “I will get other rings for you, if that is what you want. Tell me what to do to make you happy.”

“You already did that. You told me you loved me. You are a gentleman and you respect me. I will wear the rings. I only said no earlier because my head was still spinning, and I always wanted a ceremony. However, we already leaped right over that and went straight to forever after.”

“You mean happily ever after, don’t you. I am happy and believe it will be that way forever with you,” he said blushing.

There was something about his proclamation that took Ginny’s breath away. He was heads over heels in love with her. She lifted her left hand.

“I will take those rings now,” she said to him. To her surprise, he pulled the case out of his pajama bottoms pocket.

He opened and lifted the engagement ring out with shaky hands. He looked at her hand and then at her. She realized that he wasn’t even sure which finger the ring went on. She lifted her ring finger a little. With a smile he slid the ring onto her finger. It magically sized itself as it moved over her finger. He took the wedding band out and again gently placed it on her finger. He stopped and looked into her eyes. His own were filled with unshed tears and emotions.

Ginny grabbed the box from Harry. He seemed a little surprised by this action. She took out the other wedding band. Harry stood there clueless. So, she took his left hand and picked it up so she could slide the ring on his finger. He smiled at her as the ring sized itself to his finger.

“I bind my magic and love to you forever,” she whispered up to him.

“I bind my magic and love to you, forever,” he said back to her.

They slowly moved into each other. Several times hesitating to look at each other unsure if what they were doing was right. Finally their lips touched. It was a soft gentle loving kiss, yet one that held them captivated. If they hadn’t been so caught up in their first kiss, they would have heard the thud and felt the entire estate vibrate by the sealing of their love.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Bill Weasley sat in the lowest basement of the Potter estate in Morocco. Across from him sat Remus Lupin the werewolf. He looked older than what his age would indicate. His clothes were worn and the luggage he carried showed years of abuse and neglect. Yet, he seemed like a good bloke, but Bill had to ensure Harry and Ginny’s safety. So he could take no chances. Remus Lupin had to leave his wand in England before Grins would transport him here.

The steel door of the transporter chamber rang out. The other was here. Bill stood up to walk to the door while keeping a watch on Remus Lupin. He fumbled with it because he was watching Remus. After grabbing the handle, he pulled it up and the steel door opened.

Out stepped Sirius Black. He was a gaunt skeleton of a man. He had sunken eyes that had a haunted look to them. The clothes he wore were new but they didn’t fit him well. He looked emaciated.

“Where is he?” demanded Black. “Where is my godson?”

He stopped talking when he saw Remus Lupin. “Remus, my old friend. Did you finally figure it out that it had been Peter all the time?”

“No, I must apologize to you, Sirius. I had always thought it was you.”

“James Potter had sent a memory to Harry to be read with his will. He told everyone what had happened. It was because of that memory that you two have been asked to be here,” stated Bill.

“Who are you?” asked Sirius.

“I am Bill Weasley. I work for Gringotts as a curse breaker. I have a personal investment with this also. Harry is soul bonded to my sister.”

“I thought soul bonds were myths,” said Remus.

“I hear that all the time. They are real and Harry and Ginny are bonded. They are also considered to be adults under Ministry Law. Before I say anything else I am going to ask you two to make an Unbreakable Vow with me.”

“What we will be vowing to do?” asked Sirius looking at Remus suspiciously?

“I want you to vow to protect Harry and his secrets with your life, and assist me with his magical education. You will also be protecting and teaching Ginny because they…,” Bill never finished what he was saying, because Sirius and Remus had thrust their left hands out.

“If you want us to vow to protect Harry, I will make that vow. I would die for him. I failed James and Lily. I won’t fail him,” growled Sirius.

“I will also make that vow,” stated Remus.

Bill grabbed their hands and cast the Charm while swearing an allegiance that all three of them will protect and teach Harry and Ginny.

Bill looked at the two men. They had suffered much in their lives. He felt that maybe he had tricked them. He needed to confess something to them.

“I hope you will forgive me, but I may have deceived you a little,” said Bill apologetically.

“How? What did you do?” growled Sirius.

Bill was shocked. Remus was supposed to be the werewolf, but Sirius had that feral dog look in his eyes.

“We may have to protect them for the rest of their lives.” He said. He saw Sirius relax at the statement. “The goblins have kept records of old magic such as soul bonds. In the past, couples who were bonded by this method were used by other wizards.

“When they form the bond and — and consummate it,” he said thickly as he realized what that meant for his baby sister. “They increase magical powers; not only for themselves, but for all who are within close proximity of them. In the past, many of them had become captives of power hungry wizards who used this phenomenon to destroy all who opposed them.

“Some bonded couples realized this and disappeared from the magical community.”

“Are you saying that if I were to stand next to Harry, I would become more powerful magically?” questioned Sirius.

“Yes, it is already happening and they haven’t even consummated the bond. It doesn’t matter if you are friends or enemies. If the Death Eaters discover this, before we can teach Harry to fight for himself.”

Bill didn’t finish the statement. Both Sirius and Remus understood what he was implying. Harry and Ginny could be used by the Dark Wizards that they hate.

A thud was felt throughout the estate. Causing Bill to react and pull his wand. He waited for a second for the security wards to activate, but when they remained silent, he sank back into his chair. He didn’t want to think about what caused it. She was only ten after all. It didn’t matter how old she looked.

“What was that?” asked Remus.

Bill let out a long sigh before answering. “I am guessing that they just consummated the bond.”

“Yeah, that’s my godson,” exclaimed Sirius.

Bill glared at him.

“Tell me,” questioned Sirius. “Is she a redhead like you?”

Back to index


Chapter 4: Into the Chamber

Author's Notes: Two years ago Harry Potter appeared in the magical world. The first time since he defeated Voldemort. On that day he soul bonded with the ten year-old Ginny Weasley. They haven't been seen in England, until today.
I would like to thank my beta seekers destiny for helping me with this chapter.


Bill Apparated in front of Hogwarts’ main gate with four other people. Remus Lupin and Sirius Black stood nearest the gate. Bill was the furthest away. Between them were the other two, Harry and Ginny Potter, hidden under an Invisibility Cloak.

“You would think they would be waiting for us,” grumbled Sirius. “We receive a letter saying they wanted to see us as soon as possible. We come here and no one is waiting for us.”

“They probably never imagined we’d arrive this soon. They actually sent it only four hours ago,” stated Remus. “They probably thought an owl would arrive first.

“I’m sending a Patronus to the Headmaster,” replied Sirius. “I am not waiting here, when there might be someone dying in the castle.”

With a flick of his wand, he sent a silver streak up to the castle.

“Sirius, I wish you would choose your words more carefully,” said a male disembodied voice. “Ron may not be dying.”

“The letter said that Ron had been taken into the Chamber of Secrets,” said Ginny softly her voice quavered with fear. “If we don’t know where it is, then how can we find him in time?”

“We will, love. We will,” reassured Harry.

“I wish you two wouldn’t talk while you are under the cloak,” grumbled Sirius. “People are going to wonder where the voices are coming from.”

“There is no one within listening distance, Padfoot,” countered Harry.

“How do you know that?” retorted Sirius.

“We can feel if they are that close,” said Harry. “No one between us and the castle and us and a house four hundred yards away.”

“Insufferable know-it-all, you are just like your mother and father,” grumbled Sirius.

“Thank you!” Harry said happily.

“I see someone walking from the castle,” said Bill interrupting the squabbling. “It looks like Professor McGonagall. “I don’t want you two to reveal too much about yourselves. Everyone will know you are bonded, but that is all they need to know. It is important that no one knows about all the other powers you have developed.”

“What about the prophecy?” asked Ginny.

“Don’t reveal that unless you are sure of the person’s loyalties, and don’t tell Mum unless you want her to have kittens.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur Weasley stood in Minerva’s McGonagall’s office rubbing his wife’s shoulders. Her heart broke when she heard that their son, Ron, had been taken into the Chamber of Secrets. He remembered hearing about it when he was in school. It was just a legend at least that was what he thought at that time. Now his youngest son was captured inside of it and the message on the wall stated his bones will lie in there forever. Now he was waiting here with Molly, Percy, Fred, George, and Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall. An Owl was sent to Charlie in Romania. Another was sent to Bill and Ginny, he didn’t know where they had been staying, but it must have been close.

He had just heard Bill and Ginny were at the main gate, and he was nervous about seeing them. He had not seen either one for nearly two years, ever since she had soul bonded to Harry Potter.

“I wonder how they got here so quickly?” asked Percy. “It would take at least two days to set up an international Portkey.”

“Maybe they were in the country,” stated Professor Dumbledore.

“They were in England and didn’t stop to see us,” snapped an angry Molly Weasley. “Why that is most ungrateful and inconsiderate. What are we going to do about Ron?”

“The only thing that we can do, we are already doing. We are looking for the Chamber of Secrets at this very moment. I have all the Professors and Prefects looking for any indication of Ron.”

“It has been at this castle for one thousand years, and no one has found it. What makes you think that you can find it before my son is dead,” shouted Molly.

“There, there, Molly everyone is trying as hard as they can to find Ron,” consoled Arthur as he rubbed her shoulders trying to get her to accept that their son was as good as dead.

The door opened and Professor McGonagall stepped in followed by two wizards. They had their wands drawn and looked around the room, before stepping in further. Behind them Arthur could see Bill. The first two walked into the room making it impossible for anyone to get close to Bill. They were all dressed strangely for wizards.

They didn’t wear typical robes, but a brownish-green hooded cloak with a high collar. It looked to be leather, but it seemed a bit off for leather. Their clothes could have been Muggle, but they also seemed a bit off for even that. The fabric was heavy and they all wore dark brown leather gloves with high cuffs protecting their forearms. The long sleeved shirts were a russet color and the trousers a deep brown. The trousers were tucked into their leather boot. It was the same type of leather the cloak was made from.

Bill finally stepped through the door and closed it. He looked around the room, also. “It’s safe,” he said to no one in particular

The first two wizards put their wands away and relaxed. As soon as they did, Molly stood up to run to Bill, but she didn’t make it. A beautiful young woman appeared out of the air in front of her. Beside her was a handsome man. They both appeared to be the same age as Bill.

The woman grabbed Molly in a hug and said. “Oh, Mum, I have missed you so.”

The entire room seemed to freeze. Molly was so shocked that she stood there as this woman, Ginny, hugged her.

Her face was similar to Bill’s. So there was a family resemblance, but Ginny should have only been eleven at this time. Arthur remembered Ginny growing up the night after soul bonding with Harry Potter, but he didn’t remember her looking like this aristocratic woman in front of him. She was dressed similar to the others, but her clothes were cut to fit her shape, and her gloves were folded and tucked neatly into her leather belt.

Molly was now hugging her back. He was pleased that she hadn’t rejected Ginny. While he was looking at the two most important women in his life, he saw something on Ginny’s hand; a wedding ring and an engagement ring.

He was heartbroken. Ginny had been the first girl born in a family named Weasley for seven generations. He was going to enjoy escorting her down the aisle. Now it was too late.

Ginny pulled away from Molly and ran into his arms. It felt strange hugging this young woman. He had hugged Ginny many times in the past, but she had been a little girl. Now she was a woman who came up to his shoulder.

“I missed you too, Daddy,” she whispered into his chest. Even though the voice was slightly different, it was still his little girl. He leaned down to kiss the top of her head. He looked up to see the man that must be Harry smiling at them.

“You, you took our daughter away from us,” shouted Molly at Harry. “Don’t think I didn’t notice that ring on her finger. No one ever mentioned a wedding in any letters,” she said glaring at Bill.

“Mum, we were married when we first met in Diagon Alley,” said Ginny pulling away from Arthur.

Arthur had a sad feeling come over him. He missed holding his little girl.

“We didn’t have any ceremony. Harry gave them to me, because he knew it would make me happy.”

“I still don’t like it. It isn’t proper. You may look all grown up, but you are still only eleven,” shouted Molly.

Arthur watched as his daughter balled up her fists in fury. He was waiting for her to put them on her hips and start shouting back at Molly. It was exactly what Molly would have done when she was this angry. Ginny quickly released her fists and relaxed as Harry came over and placed a hand on her back. He could tell Harry had somehow calmed Ginny down.

“I didn’t come here to fight with you, Mum. I came here to try to save Ron,” said Ginny sadly.

“How can you save him, if Albus Dumbledore can’t,” shouted Molly back at her.

Bill looked at Molly with anger in his eyes, but didn’t address her. “Fred, George, you two said that Ron used to hide out in a woman’s bathroom?”

Everyone’s eyes turned to the twins. They looked at each other. Arthur could tell they were hiding something.

“He used to go to the one on the second floor…”

“but then he would disappear.”

“We had no…”

“idea where he went.”

The twins were finishing each other’s sentences. It was something that all the Weasleys’ had become accustomed to over the years. Arthur tried not to laugh at Harry’s expression as he stared gobsmacked at the twins. Evidently, Ginny hadn’t told him about Fred and George’s antics.

“I suggest we start our search there,” said Bill.

“First, I want an article of Ron’s clothes. Something that hasn’t been laundered yet,” said one of the men who had accompanied Bill and Ginny.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was holding Ginny’s hand, as they walked through the ancient halls of the castle. Sirius, Remus, and Bill kept looking around at the stone walls wistfully. He could tell they were remembering their days at the school. Even with all these memories, they still kept their minds on the job at hand; finding Ron Weasley.

Harry though was feeling something else from the majestic stone walls of Hogwarts. Magic, very old magic was present here. There was a mix of dark and light magic, but other magic to keep the castle protected and secure was present.

“Why did you start following your brother?” Harry asked the twins.

They had accompanied them to Ron’s dorm to retrieve a shirt that Ron had laying about. Now Fred, George, and Professor McGonagall accompanied them as they walked towards the bathroom. The twins were looking at the Professor nervously.

“Well, we noticed he was acting rather odd this year,” said Fred.

“He was writing in a diary all the time,” said George.

“Ron writing in a diary!” exclaimed Ginny and Bill at the same time.

Harry had to keep from snorting at their shock to Ron keeping a diary. “I take it he isn’t the type to spend hours writing down his thoughts and feelings.” Harry thought about how lame doing that sort of thing seemed. The idea of keeping a diary never occurred to him, though Ginny kept one.

“We didn’t even know he could write,” stated George.

“Or have feelings, except hunger,” said Fred.

“Or thoughts, except ‘is there anymore’,” said George.

“We figured it was his new girlfriend, Hermione Granger. She is quite the bookworm,” the twins said at the same time.

“Miss Granger is the top student of her year,” sniffed Professor McGonagall. “She is also a Gryffindor.”

“She is also in the hospital…,”started Fred

“ as we speak…,”

“paralyzed from an attack,” finished Fred.

They had reached the bathroom. Professor McGonagall went in the bathroom first to check if anyone was in there. She came back out very quickly.

“It is empty as I suspected,” she said stiffly. “This particular bathroom isn’t used much because it is haunted by the ghost of Moaning Myrtle.”

“Did she die in there?” asked Ginny.

“I don’t know,” replied Professor McGonagall.

Harry could sense why Ginny asked the question. In one of the letters, the twins mentioned the Chamber of Secrets had been opened before and someone had died. As they walked into the bathroom, a cold chill ran up Harry’s spine. There definitely were remnants of dark magic in here.

Sirius took off his cloak and handed it to Remus. He then threw Ron’s shirt down on the floor.

“Time for Padfoot mode,” stated Sirius. He changed into his Animagus form, a large black dog. As he transformed he stepped out of his boots. They were made of dragon hide like his cloak and wouldn’t transform with him into his Animagus form.

“Is he registered?” Professor McGonagall asked Remus.

“Yes,” answered Remus. “But, not in this country.”

Padfoot sniffed at the shirt for several seconds before running his nose along the floor. He made several circles then walked towards the door and back across to a sink against the furthest wall in the bathroom. He quickly changed back to Sirius Black.

“His trail ends here,” He said indicating a sink.

“That was the one we saw him at, before he disappeared,” added the twins.

“How did you do that?” asked Professor McGonagall. “You can only see that sink from inside of the bathroom. You would have seen where he went.”

The twins looked nervously at each other. “We were hiding so he didn’t see us.”

The Professor’s mouth twitched as her lips became tighter and smaller. “Indeed,” she said without further comment.

Harry noticed Remus and Sirius smiling at each other. They seemed to know something, but didn’t say anything else. He could also feel Ginny laughing about the twins trying to lie.

“Harry, would you try Parseltongue. If this is the monster of Salazar Slytherin, I am guessing he made it so only Parseltongue’s could get in,” asked Bill.

“How would Ron get in?” asked Professor McGonagall.

“I guess we will first have to find him then ask him,” said Bill.

Harry stepped up to the sink. A cold chill ran through him again. It was his senses warning him that something dangerous was behind that sink. He looked over at Ginny. She sensed what he did too. This ability started to emerge after they became soul bonded. At times they can actually see and hear each other’s thoughts, most of the time they just understood each other’s emotions.

He closed his eyes and thought of the king cobra he spoke to at a bazaar in Turkey. With that memory firmly implanted in his mind, he hissed out the word “open” in Parseltongue. He opened his eyes when he heard the grating of porcelain over stone.

The sink moved aside revealing large round opening behind it. A rush of fetid air hit Harry as another chill of danger and death washed over him. He tried reaching out with his senses to see how close it was. He could feel it down there, but he couldn’t sense how far away the danger was.

Bill stepped up and waved his wand in several intricate motions, while softly speaking revealing spells. He pointed his wand at the opening. A bright blue blob formed from the end of his wand. It moved forward and disappeared down the opening.

“There is something down there, but it is far away,” Harry whispered to Bill.

“I just want to be cautious. It isn’t like I don’t trust your senses, Harry,” replied Bill quietly.

They all stood there watching and waiting for the blue ball to come back out. After about a minute, it hadn’t reappeared.

“It must be safe,” said Sirius, as he strode forward after replacing his cloak and pulling on his boots. “I go first, then Remus, and Bill….”

“Hold on, I and Ginny should be the next to go after Remus,” argued Harry. It had been an arrangement that they had practiced all the time. Sirius and Remus would always lead and Bill would be behind them to act as shields for him and Ginny. Neither one liked their friends doing this, but they would never be able to convince them to stop the practice.

“If Remus’ hunches are correct about what is down there, you need to stay up here and not come down at all,” stated Sirius.

“What do you think is down there?” asked Professor McGonagall.

“A basilisk, Professor,” said Remus softly. “It is the only thing that makes sense. People getting petrified now and the one that died years ago. The stare of a Basilisk can do both of those things. It is also considered to be the King of Snakes, which would be appropriate for Slytherin to use as his monster. Seeing that opening, I would say I am correct.”

“Ah Remus, our expert on dark creatures,” teased Sirius. He was now sitting in the opening to the Chamber of Secrets. “If you are done teaching, I will be going down this dank hole. Please come down before starting another lecture.”

“I’ll be down right after you, Sirius,” said Remus.

“All right, ‘long live the Marauders’,” shouted Sirius as he slid down the opening to the depths of the Chamber.

Remus quickly climbed in and slid down the opening. He also shouted, “long live the Marauders.”

“Did they just call out ‘long live the Marauders’?” asked one of the twins.

“They called themselves that when they were in school,” answered Professor McGonagall. “Harry’s father was also one along with another, I will not mention.” Professor McGonagall finished icily.

Harry smiled at her. He was grateful she hadn’t mentioned Peter Pettigrew. He had learned about his father and the Marauders from Remus and Sirius. To have Peter betray them like he did made Harry’s blood boil with revenge.

“I’m going down,” stated Bill. “Wait for my Patronus before you two come down. We need to be sure it is safe before you two come down.” Bill finished and slid down the opening.

Harry walked over to the entrance and the entire way he could feel Ginny’s eyes on him. He looked at her to reassure her that everything will be all right. She stood there also silently boosting his confidence with a reassuring smile as he stood there at the entrance to a chamber filled with death. Her smile made him completely forget about everything else but her lips and soft brown eyes. He wanted to reach out and pull her towards him.

“Oi, stop staring at my sister,” said George. “Bill just called for you.”

Harry turned to see Bill’s fox Patronus dissolve into vapor. He felt stupid for missing the message.

“You are to go,” said Ginny with a smile.

Harry felt embarrassed as he could both sense her laughing at him and also enjoying the look he had given her. Climbing into the small tunnel, he glanced at his wife before allowing himself to slide down the hole. His dragon hide cloak protected him from any sharp rocks or snags on the smooth hewed stone while sliding down the tunnel. He slid and turned several different directions. It started to feel as if he had been sliding for miles, when he was deposited on his backside in a puddle of muck.

The heavy moist stench of death and decay filled his nose, and the feeling of dread increased tenfold. He stood up to step aside for Ginny. Small bones crunched under his feet. He looked around and saw evidence of animals’ skeletons scattered across the floor of this large round chamber.

It was only about eight feet high, but it was at least thirty feet across. There were also four tunnels leading away or to the chamber, depending on your perspective. The entire room seemed to have been chipped from one solid piece of stone.

He sensed Ginny about to appear out of the tunnel from the bathroom and reached out to grab her hand and keep her from falling in the same muddy puddle that he had fallen into. He easily pulled her up without her getting dirty.

“Thank you,” she smiled at him and kissed his cheek.

“All right you two,” stated Sirius. He stepped up to the two on them in the light of his illuminated wand. Even though he had been out of Azkaban for almost two years, his face was drawn and his eyes had that hollowed look to them. It was an intimidating look, particularly in a dark and dangerous place such as this.

“If things get sticky down here, you are to leave and leave us to our fates. Everyone needs you two to survive.”

“We are all coming out of this hole, and we are bringing Ron with us,” snapped Ginny.

“Look, I failed Harry’s parents once. I won’t do it again. You will leave. I am serious!” he nearly shouted at Ginny.

“I know you are,” replied Harry cheekily. “That is Remus and that is Bill, we are Harry and Ginny. You told us that when we first met.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] two years earlier[ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry opened his eyes and was surprised to see the room he was in. It was warm, spacious, and elegant. The bed was the softest and warmest he had ever felt. He shifted his weight and felt another person beside him.

The memories of yesterday washed over him. He woke in the extra bedroom at Number Four Privet Drive. He went from there to the house his parents died in where he met with Ginny and Bill, to Gringotts, to this spacious estate that he now owned with his wife.

Harry turned to see her brown eyes looking at him warily. She was holding her left hand in her right. She seemed to be nervous about something. He started to wonder if she was regretting getting bonded to him.

“Good morning,” he said weakly to the beauty that was in his bed. The sight of her made him nervous and choke up.

“Good morning,” she said as much as a question as a response.

He stared at her wanting to ask something but he was afraid of hearing the answer. He almost wanted her to tell him that this all a mistake, but she laid there looking at him with that strange questioning look on her face. He needed to find out if she wanted out of this arrangement. He would understand, but he didn’t think they could have it annulled or whatever one did to break off a soul bond.

He had to ask. “Are you sorry we are bonded, and — and married?”

“No! Are you?” she squeaked out.

“No, no I am not, but I …,” he stopped talking as she kissed him. His mind went to mush with the sudden touch of her lips on his. When it was finished, he still couldn’t form words.

“I was afraid that you regretted being with me,” said Ginny.

“Why would I feel that?” he replied. “You could do so much better than me. You wouldn’t have to worry about that stupid prophecy.”

Her laughter stopped him. She seemed to find his comment amusing. She turned to look at him. “You are a dream come true to me, so don’t ever worry about my intentions. I want to be the best wife ever for you.”

He leaned in and kissed her gently. He smiled as he pulled away and saw the look of happiness on her face.

“What do we do now?” he asked her.

“I vote for breakfast,” she said.

“That sounds brilliant,” he said as he felt his stomach rumble with hunger.

Twenty minutes later, they had showered, dressed, and were walking into the eat-in kitchen. It was empty except for the Head House Elf, Gadget. He was preparing a large silver tray for tea and coffee.

“Good morning Master and Mistress,” the House Elf said without looking at them. “I hope your sleeping arrangements were to your liking?”

Harry felt himself blushing as he thought about sharing a bed with Ginny. He was pleased to see that she also was embarrassed by the question.

“If you do not like the bed, I will change it first thing this morning,” apologized the old House Elf. He looked ashamed that they hadn’t complimented him on the bed.

“The bed is fine, Gadget,” said Ginny. “Do not change anything until we tell you.”

“Yes, Mistress, I didn’t know what you wanted for breakfast so I prepared tea along with the coffee for your guests. What is you having for breakfast?”

“Where are our guests?” asked Harry anxiously. He was eager to see this Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. He was curious what they looked like, and he wanted to ask them questions about his parents.

“Your guests are downstairs planning your education. They have been down there all night. We’s been taking coffee to them all night.”

“Gadget, we will join them downstairs,” said Ginny. “Can you bring us down toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon with our tea?”

“Yes, Mistress, as you wish,” said the old House Elf. His gray hair fell forward over his face hiding his ping pong ball sized gray-eyes.

They went to walk down the service steps to the lower levels of the house. “How many house elves does your family have Ginny?”

She looked at him and laughed. “None, mum uses us to do all her work.”

“I thought all magical families employed House Elves?”

“No, not all magical families own House Elves, and the ones that do don’t employ them they own them.”

Harry stopped and looked at her. “Gadget is my slave?” he asked with horror showing on his face.

“Yes, he is,” she said hesitantly. “Only wealthy wizards can afford to buy them, and then they own them for life.”

“People accept that? No one questions owning another person?”

Ginny reached up and stroked his cheek. “Look, it is only a part of our culture, but you must remember that they are not humans.”

“That is wrong,” he said forcefully.

“Harry, please I am not very good at debating issues like this with you. I am only nine.”

Harry looked at her. She didn’t look nine, maybe nineteen, but never nine. He started to laugh at her comment. “Sorry, I don’t like hearing about people having their freedoms taken away. Let’s find your brother and my parents’ friends.”

Ginny smiled a warm loving smile at him. “I am glad you care about others the way you do.”

They continued to walk down to the next lower level. It was empty, or devoid of people. It was filled with a couple of desks and rows upon rows of shelves filled with food and supplies for the estate. Without even speaking they continued across this room and went to the lowest level of the house. It was where the link to Gringotts bank was located.

Harry could hear Bill talking to two other men. His heart rate sped up in anticipation of what these two men would look like. Would they recognize him as being Harry Potter? He didn’t have long to think about as they descended the steps to the vault area. Bill was sitting at a desk facing the stairwell. He saw Ginny and him descending the stairs and leaned out to look at them.

The two other men had their backs to them so they didn’t notice Harry and Ginny entering the room until Bill waved them over. Harry wanted to stand here. He wasn’t sure what the people would think of him. Ginny kept walking and pulling him with her.

The other two men looked much older than Bill. He wasn’t even sure how old they were, but their hair seemed to be tinged with gray. Both looked nearly sixty year old. He didn’t think his parents looked that old. Had they prematurely aged due to being a werewolf and imprisoned in Azkaban? He was nervous about them blaming him for their misfortunes, but Ginny reassured him that he was not the cause of their problems. It was Voldemort and Peter Pettigrew.

The two men turned to look at them. They were standing up from the chairs they were seated in. The taller one took one look at him and Ginny and nearly fainted.

“James, Lily,” he said weakly as he seemed to fall back down in his chair. He was off balance and it took his friend grabbing his shoulders to keep him from falling.

“Sirius, it is Harry. Look at his eyes, he has Lily’s green eyes,” said the other man.

Harry now knew that the taller of the two was Sirius Black, so the older one with torn and repaired clothes would be Remus Lupin.

“Harry,” Sirius Black started talking slowly as he seemed to regain his composure. “I am sorry, if I mistook you for your father. You look so much like him. So very much like him, except you have your mother’s eyes. James was so happy that you were developing green eyes like your mother.

“Let me introduce myself, I am Sirius Black of the most Ancient and vile House of Black. James befriended me, Remus, and another we won’t mention on our first train ride to Hogwarts. James became my best friend all throughout school. He even made me your godfather.”

“I know, Mr. Black,” said Harry. He was slightly nervous about the way this man was staring at him. Even though he had a drawn face and hollow eyes, his gaze was extremely intense and unnerved Harry. “I viewed a memory from my father. He said that I could trust the two of you. I asked for you two to help me.

“Will you help Bill teach and protect me?”

Sirius dove for him. He moved so quick that Harry clenched his fist to defend Ginny and him. Harry allowed himself to be engulfed in two very strong arms.

“I swore to protect you and your parents,” he whispered in Harry’s ear. “I will die this time before anyone harms you.”

Harry stood there in shock. He didn’t want this man to die for him, but he was afraid to refuse his offer.

“Harry, I am Remus Lupin, and I also will protect you with my life. Your father was the best friend anyone could ever have. I owe him a huge debt. I may not be as dramatic as Sirius is, but I am no less sincere.”

Sirius let go of Harry when Remus stated he was dramatic.

“Dramatic am I,” snapped Sirius.

“Yes, you are definitely over the top, mate,” countered Remus with a smile. “But, you have always been that way.”

Sirius smiled at his friend. The smile made him look so different. Gone was the haunted look that seemed to emanate from him. He now looked happy. He was not hugging Harry anymore, but he still had his hand on Harry’s shoulder. He turned back and stared in Harry’s eyes.

“I may be a bit dramatic, but I will not let any harm come to you as long as I am alive. I couldn’t be there to protect your father and mother. I will be there for you.”

“But…” Harry started to protest, but Sirius cut him off.

“Do not argue with me. This is important to me. You have no idea how much I owe your father. Protecting you will be the only thing that will make my life worthwhile.”

“Why? What did my father do for you?”

Remus and Sirius both smiled with moist eyes.

“Let me tell you about your father, Prongslet,” laughed Sirius.

“Prongslet?” questioned Harry.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Sirius leaned back away from Harry. “You are just as cheeky as your father, you know that, Prongslet.”

“You know I hate that name. It makes me sound like a girl,” protested Harry.

“Yeah, I know,” said Sirius with a smirk.

“Which way do we go?” asked Bill trying to get everyone back on task.

Harry looked at all of the openings. He could feel the icy chill of dark magic from one of the openings more than the others. It would make sense that that was the place where Ron was.

“This way,” Harry said pointing at the one opening.

“All right Remus…,” Sirius started to say.

“We all know the drill Sirius,” snapped Ginny. “Let’s get moving.”

Harry looked at his wife. He could feel her concern for her brother rolling off her like smoke from a fire. One didn’t even need to have a connection through a soul bond to understand that. Remus and Sirius smiled at Harry, as though to say good luck with this one, before walking through the tunnel opening.

The tunnel was short only about ten feet long, and it opened into a massive cavern. Casting his Lumos into the shadows he saw that all the tunnels opened out into this cavern. They walked for a few minutes, when he noticed Ginny was staring at the smooth floor.

“What is wrong?” he asked her.

“What made this path?”

Harry looked more carefully at the path they were walking on. It was worn smooth compared to the rough stones on each side of it. It wasn’t only smooth, but it was slightly depressed, as if whatever made this was round. He suddenly started to wonder how big this basilisk was.

“Merlin’s y-pants,” muttered Remus, as he and Sirius stopped walking. They were shining their wand light at something off to the left side.

Harry looked around them, and didn’t notice anything unusual at first. Then he noticed it. It was a snake skin that looked to be nearly six feet across at least sixty feet long, if not eighty.

“Is that a basilisk skin?” he asked shocked at the sheer size of the beast. Everyone turned and looked at him. “I know it was a stupid question.”

“It doesn’t matter what type of beast. Anything that big can be lethal,” said Bill.

“It had better be a basilisk or our plan won’t work,” stated Remus soberly. “I guess we need to move along and find out what we will be facing.”

They fell into line again with Sirius Black leading the front of the column. Even though the present formation was a routine and used so often before today, they still all moved with a sense of purpose and caution.

This cave seemed to go on forever. Maybe it was the urgency that they all moved, or it was the fact that Harry had expected to be in and out of the cave within minutes. It could take hours to search this cave, if they weren’t on the correct path.

“Harry, we have another door,” said Sirius from up front.

Harry took Ginny’s hand. Holding her hand had always comforted him. Right now he needed it, and it felt like she needed it also. He didn’t know what was bothering her, but it had her afraid.

“What is wrong? Don’t you feel Ron on the other side of the door?”

Ginny looked at him. “I feel two presences on the other side of the door, but one is getting stronger as the other weakens. It is like one is drawing the life from the other.”

“Could it be a Dementor?” asked Bill.

“There is only one way to find out,” stated Sirius. “Harry, open it please.”

Harry stepped up and stared at the door decorated in snakes. The words quickly hissed from his mouth. The ancient door unlocked and swung open with little effort. Sirius flung himself at Harry knocking him to the ground and covering Harry with his body. The entire tunnel was in panic. Harry could hear shouting from around him. Finally, Sirius stated that Harry was going to be fine and stood up.

“Sorry to scare everyone,” said Sirius meekly. “I thought it would have been on the other side of the door.”

“You could have told me to close my eyes,” protested Harry. He had been driven into a dirty spot to the side of the worn path.

“I said I was sorry,” stated Sirius again clearly agitated that everyone was glaring at him. “I am going through the door. Do you girls want to join me?”

“Lead on, mate,” ordered an irritated Remus.

The five of them went through the opening in the proper order: Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, then Harry and Ginny followed by Bill. They entered a large chamber. There was a strange pale green glow at the far end of the chamber. The sides had some type of construction. At the distance Harry couldn’t tell what it was. The place was easily larger than any hall Harry had ever been in. It appeared to be almost the size of a Quidditch Pitch. The only sounds were the constant dripping of water from somewhere in Chamber.

Ginny seemed to stiffen. Harry turned to her and saw her staring wide-eyed at the far end of the chamber.

“Ron is down there, and he is still alive,” she whispered hopefully.

“Let’s go then,” said Harry.

“There is someone else down there. Off to the left side in the shadows,” she whispered to Harry and everyone else.

“Let’s walk slowly down there and find out what is going on,” said Bill.

The group of five walked slowly towards the other side of the chamber. As they walked, Harry became aware that the huge things on each side of the chamber were actually sculptures of huge snakes. He started to worry that they would become animated with a spell. He doubted that anyone in the group would survive an attack by these huge snakes.

As they approached the far end of the chamber, Ron’s prone figure became clearer. He was lying prostrate by a reflecting pool. That was reflecting the statue of Salazar Slytherin. The statue reached from the reflecting pool to roof of the cave some thirty feet above them. The closer they got to Ron, the harder Ginny pulled on Harry’s left hand to get to her brother. When they had finally reached Ron, Ginny dropped on her knees beside him and lifted his head up in an embrace.

“Release whatever spell you have over him,” she ordered the person hiding. “Or I will break it.”

“I am afraid I can’t do that,” said person with a high pitched voice.

Everyone looked and saw a handsome young man stepping out of the shadows of Slytherin’s statue.

“You will find that you cannot break the spell either. You see this boy is the one that initiated the spell, and only he can break it. He won’t do that, because he can’t.” The young man looked at each person with a puzzled expression. “I am at a loss; this chamber was only accessible to the heir of Salazar Slytherin. How were you able to find it?”

“If this chamber was only accessible to the heir of Slytherin, then how did Ron find it? He is a Gryffindor,” asked Sirius.

“Why I told him. I am the true heir of Salazar Slytherin, the greatest of the Hogwarts four,” the young man announced with great pride.

“I thought Voldemort was the only true heir of Slytherin,” countered Sirius.

The young man stared at Sirius with a stare of cold fury. “Who are you to speak the Great Lord Voldemort’s name?”

“I am Sirius Black, and you are not a Lord or great. You are just evil, Tom Riddle.” hissed Sirius.

“I grow tired of your disrespect. It is time to die.” He started to hiss in Parseltongue. Harry could understand the snake language. “Come my pet and feed. Kill the five, but leave the young one for me.”

The hissing echoed throughout the chamber sounding like it was coming from all around. Harry listened as the basilisk answered Tom Riddle. “I come master. I have not killed for so long.”

“It is coming,” shouted Harry.

“Where is it coming from?” asked Bill.

Harry couldn’t tell because of the echo in the chamber. However, when the Slytherin’s statue’s mouth slid open, Harry pointed at it. “There!”

“You three keep the basilisk busy,” ordered Remus. “Whatever you do don’t stare at its eyes. I need to prepare the trap.”

Tom Riddle started to laugh. “You fools cannot stop my pet. It shall kill you and eat you while I watch.”

“You are too cocksure of yourself,” snapped Sirius with a grin.

Harry stood there casting Sensory Charms so he could tell where the Basilisk was. He knew he would not be able to hold off the monster for long. Ginny was still kneeling over Ron cradling his head. He needed to touch her to access her magic. Standing over her he laid his hand on her shoulder. He felt a surge of magical energy course through him. Bill smiled at him, while Tom Riddle stared at him confused.

Remus pulled a sack from his magical pocket in his trousers. It was lumpy and was moving. He had brought some type of an animal to fight the great beast of a basilisk. The ground in the chamber shook as the basilisk flopped into the reflecting pool. Harry could feel it moving at him and Ginny at incredible speed. With a flick of his wrist he sent a Blasting Charm at it, and hoped his aim was good.

An explosion and loud a hiss followed by the sounds of the monster colliding with stone indicated that he was accurate.

“Good shot Harry,” shouted Bill. “Are you two ready to kill that thing?”

Remus reached into the sack and pulled out a chicken with a blindfold covering its head. “We are now.”

“A chicken!” exclaimed Bill. “You are going to kill that thing with a chicken?”

Bill fired a blasting curse at the basilisk. It was now weary of being cursed and avoided the curse. Harry started firing off curses as fast as he could to keep the giant snake from clamping its massive jaws on them. They wore dragon hide cloaks so that the basilisk couldn’t bite through them, but this beast is so large the power of its jaws would crush them regardless if the fangs penetrated their flesh.

“It isn’t a chicken mate,” said Sirius. “It is a rooster and time to say good morning.”

With a flourish, he pulled the blindfold off the rooster and flashed a beam of bright light from his wand. The bird fluffed its feathers for a second before it let out a loud cackling crow that echoed off the walls of the chamber.

At the exact same time, the giant snake let out a sound that was a mix of a hiss and a scream. It then flopped down dead with a loud crash that shook the entire chamber.

“You may have killed my pet. Once I have completely regenerated, I will kill you all,” Voldemort shouted.

“You may actually be that powerful,” said Bill casually. He walked over and picked up the diary lying on the stone floor. Bill waved his wand at the diary as it glowed green. He nodded to the other members of the group, indicating his suspicions were correct. He pointed his wand back behind him towards the dead basilisk. With a flick of his wand, a large cloth shot out of his wand and floated down over the head of the giant snake.

“I am not sure if their eyes will still kill after they are dead, but I didn’t want to take the chance,” said Bill calmly, as he walked towards the snake. Bill walked up to the mouth of the snake. The snake was so large that its jaws were almost as high as Bill’s shoulder. The mouth was slightly opened and was partially exposed near the tip of the snout. Bill’s accuracy with the cloth was amazing without looking in the direction of his spell. He placed the book in the mouth of the basilisk.

“No don’t do that,” screamed Voldemort as he ran towards Bill.

“Good bye Tom,” said Bill.

He waved his wand and a large stone appeared above the basilisk’s jaw. It fell down onto the jaw and slammed the mouth shut. The seven inch fangs of the snake pierced the diary through in two places. The venom from the teeth seemed to burn the book as a black fluid that resembled ink flowed out of it.

Voldemort’s piercing scream echoed off the chambers walls and ceiling. His body seemed to be burning as it turned to red hot ash and floated away. Soon all was silent and the young Voldemort was gone.

Ginny had been holding onto Ron trying to keep Voldemort from consuming his soul too quickly. Ron suddenly woke up and looked up at her with a shocked expression on her face. “What, where, who are you” he shouted.

Ginny released her hold on him and leaned back. “Hi, Ron, I am glad you are all right,” her voice wavered with emotion. “I am Ginny, your sister.”

Ron stared at her. He looked at her up and down. “No way are you Ginny,” he protested. “She is only eleven.”

Bill stepped forward now. “Hey little brother, you remember me…,”

“Bill,” Ron nearly shouted. “If you are here,” he looked at Ginny again. “Are you actually Ginny?”

“Yes, Ron, I am. I have changed since you last saw me.”

Ron sat up a little and stared at Harry, then Sirius and Remus. His eyes shifted to something behind Harry. “Is that- that..,”

“Yes, Ron that is my husband, Harry Potter,” said Ginny.

“What,” said Ron? “Yeah that is him isn’t it but where did that ruddy chicken come from?”

Harry turned to see the rooster standing on top of the huge snake. It pecked at its tough scales before letting out a loud crow, as if it was celebrating its defeat of this huge monster.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Eye to Eye

Author's Notes: Harry faces off with Albus Dumbledore.
I would like to thank Seekers_Destiny for Betaing this chapter.


Harry stood at the side of the room with Ginny by his side, as Ron Weasley described how he came upon Voldemort’s diary. It sounded innocent enough, but would anyone outside this room believe him. He had found it with his school things. It didn’t seem out of place since most everything he had was used. He didn’t even intend to use it as a diary. He was going to use it as a lesson planner. His friend Hermione Granger had suggested that he purchase one to help him get organized.

Harry smiled as Ron launched into an explanation of how wonderful Hermione was for helping him with his school work last year. When Fred and George sniggered, he glared at them.

“She is the reason why almost all the Gryffindors tested out as high as we did,” he said in defense of his admiration for Hermione.

“Yes, as a former Gryffindor myself, I was quite proud of the first years test results last year,” stated Albus Dumbledore. “What I am curious is how this book came to be amongst your school supplies.”

“I didn’t purchase it,” said Mrs. Weasley defensively.

“Then how did it…”

“Lucius,” stated Mr. Weasley. “It had to be Lucius Malfoy.” His face became pink at the statement.

“He might have access to Voldemort’s possessions, but why do you seem so certain that he placed it with Ronald’s school supplies, Arthur?”

“Because my husband had a Muggle duel with Lucius in the middle of Flourish and Blotts; they knocked over several display cases and managed to spill all of the children’s school supplies in the process,” said Mrs. Weasley icily. She cast a sideways glance at the twins who were trying not to laugh out loud.

“He may be the wealthiest wizard in England, but I won’t stand for him to publically berate my family and their friends,” countered Mr. Weasley.

“Thank you Arthur,” stated Albus Dumbledore. “I think I have heard enough. Why don’t you take Ron up to the infirmary so Madam Pomfrey can attend to him?”

“I am fine,” protested Ron.

“Now Ronald, I agree with the Headmaster,” said Mrs. Weasley as though she was talking to a five year old.

“Oh bother, I’ll go,” Ron huffed out as he stood up.

“I would like a chance to talk to Harry,” stated Albus Dumbledore. “Alone.”

Harry hesitated at the last comment. He looked over at Sirius, Remus, and Bill. He was concerned about being alone with the Headmaster.

“Remus and I will go visit an old friend,” said Sirius with a roguish smile.

Ginny kissed him on the cheek before leaving with the rest of her family. Sirius and Remus both walked past him and grabbed his shoulder in a show of confidence. Harry knew they had been preparing him for this moment and it was time for him to find out if he was ready.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Second week of training nearly two years earlier [ ][ ][ ][ ]

“That’s good Harry. Keep that feather at that exact height while we talk,” said Remus. “Do you know why we are doing this?”

Harry and Ginny had mastered the Levitation Charm the second day of training. Ever since, they were expected to hold the feather up without actually staring at it. They were told this was a way of developing discipline and concentration.

“This helps develop our focus and control over our magic,” he responded to Remus. He even looked away from the feather and at Remus who was seated to his right.

“Yes, it does, but there is more. Or I might say another step to this process,” said Sirius. He was sitting watching Ginny and her feather. “Have you ever heard of Occlumency?”

“Ocu- what?” asked Harry.

“What is that?” asked Ginny.

“Feathers, both of you,” admonished Remus. Their feathers had dipped almost to the table, as they had tried to remember hearing of Occlumency before.

“Occlumency is the art of shielding your mind from being invaded by another,” stated Sirius. “Voldemort is proficient at invading peoples’ minds and has used it to extract information out of people before.”

“He read their mind?” asked Harry. He broke his concentration while thinking about Voldemort being able to read his mind. No secret would be safe with him. No one would be safe if Voldemort could do that.

“You're right, Prongslet,” confirmed Sirius. “Albus Dumbledore can also perform Legilimancy. He performed it on your father. Harry your feather.”

Harry glanced over at the feather and had to refocus to make it float 12 inches above the table top. “When did he do that?”

“When your father told Dumbledore that they were changing the Secret Keeper, he didn’t tell Albus who it would be. The Headmaster extracted it from his thoughts.”

Harry noticed a flash of fire beside him as his anger came close to boiling over at Sirius’ comment about Albus Dumbledore. He turned to see Ginny’s feather smoldering and soot all over her face.

“I was sure Harry would be the one to explode over that information,” Sirius teased Ginny.

“It was him, I felt his magic move through me and incinerate the feather,” protested Ginny.

Bill, Remus, and Sirius all leaned forward to look at them.

“Has this happened before?” Bill asked.

“Not to this extreme, but yes it has,” answered Ginny.

“Cool,” shouted Sirius. “We teach one of them one subject the other one another and let them assimilate information at night,” he said while wiggling his eyebrows.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] present day [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry walked towards the desk that Albus Dumbledore sat behind. He was trying to calm his heart rate and focus his mind. He only wanted certain information available in his thoughts. He had learned that it was much easier to let someone see a little of your thoughts as opposed to block them out completely. Sitting down, he refused to raise his eyes; until he was sure he had everything compartmentalized.

“You can look at me Harry. I won’t bite,” said Dumbledore jovially. “I must say I was quite surprised and pleased that you were able to find the chamber in time to save Ron.”

“We work well as a team, sir,” said Harry. He was looking at the various pieces of parchment and the diary on the desk.

“Yes, you do,” agreed Albus Dumbledore, as he leaned back in his chair. “You never explained how you were able to get here so soon. I was under the impression that you were out of the county.”

“We were. Gringotts sent us the letter, by their own express system. We received it within two hours of you sending the owl.”

“How did you get the international Portkey made in such a short time period?”

“Does it matter?” replied Harry, irritated with this obsession with how they arrived at the gate. “Ron is fine and Voldemort has been stopped from forming his body again.”

“Yes, yes, I suppose that is the most important thing,” Albus Dumbledore said as he shifted in the chair and stared at Harry. “However pleased I am at you saving Ron, I am concerned about the education that you and Mrs. Potter are receiving.”

“We are doing quite well actually,” Harry said with pride.

“I would like to be sure that it is up to the standards set by the Ministry’s Board of Governors. Would you mind sitting end of year tests?”

“We have been discussing that over the last month and would like to take our OWLs,”

“OWLs ? Oh no Harry, those are fifth year level,” chuckled Albus Dumbledore.

“We are set to finish the fifth year’s entire curriculum this week.”

“That is incredible. I would like to talk to Bill before you take those tests.” Albus Dumbledore wrote something on a piece of parchment, before he looked up at Harry and continued talking. “Do you think the bond has helped you learn faster?”

Harry had relaxed in his presence, but he still felt the slight pressure of Legilimency in his mind. He quickly set up his compartments of thought before thinking about anything related to the question.

“I think the bond forcing us into physical adulthood has helped. We had too much magic for our young bodies to hold. I heard that when a wizard becomes an adult, their magic seems to increase also.”

“Yes, that is true, but is that the only reason why you are doing so well?”

Harry smiled at the Headmaster. He wanted Harry to think about other aspects of their soul bond. It would take more than that little trick to get over on Harry.

“Bill, Sirius, and Remus are excellent teachers. We also study and practice nearly twelve hours a day, sometimes even longer,” replied Harry. “Let’s wait until we get the OWLS results before we celebrate Ginny’s and my academic accomplishments.”

“Ah true, Harry,” laughed Albus Dumbledore. His eyes sparkled as he stared at Harry. “Even beyond your academics, there are things that you will need my help with.”

“Yes, I know,” Harry replied. His stomach was clenching up in a knot. He was getting ready to defy one of the most important wizards in the world.

“I am still not sure if I can trust you telling me the entire truth. It seems that you make a habit of telling people only what you want them to hear. We work as a team and share our thoughts and ideas with each other. Would you be able to do that?”

Albus Dumbledore sat up a bit straighter and his face hardened at Harry’s comment. “I can assure you that whatever I did was for the greater good,” he told Harry. His countenance seemed to change with the last statement, as if it haunted his memories. “I never intended to harm anyone.”

“I understand that, sir, but as far as trust and working together with others, can you do that? If you can’t then I shall keep my distance from you. I will still ask questions, and hope that you give me the information that we need.”

The room seemed to have become noticeably colder.

“I do not feel I have done anything but protect you the best I could,” said the Headmaster defiantly.

“But, was it the best for me? You wanted to keep me separated from Ginny after we had bonded. You also kept me from my grandparents after my parents were murdered. They could have protected me. We are using their protections and no one seems to be able to reach me, and I am not being berated and physically abused on a routine basis…,”

“Harry, I didn’t know. As I told you, I only placed you there because of your mother’s blood sacrifice. That protection would have extended beyond your Aunt’s home. It made it that Voldemort would not be able to harm you until you became an adult. Your bonding broke that enchantment. The reason I wanted to break your bond with Miss Weasley was to reinstate the protection that you mother had died to give you.”

Harry felt offended that he would make it appear that Harry was disrespecting his mother’s death by bonding with Ginny. He was quite sure that his mum would approve of Ginny and be happy he found someone to love.

“Do you think my mother would be happy that I was being called a freak and beaten so she can be honored?”

Albus Dumbledore again looked slightly embarrassed at Harry’s question.

“If you want me to trust your judgment then I will need to trust you. Trying to perform Legilimency on me while we are talking is not a way to make a person trust you. The next thing that you can do is tell me how many Horcruxes you think Voldemort made beside this diary.”

Albus Dumbledore’s eyebrows knitted up on his brow as he stared at Harry. It was obvious to Harry that he thought his attempt at invading Harry’s mind was so subtle that it would be unnoticed. He also seemed a bit shocked that Harry knew the diary was a Horcrux.

“Bill tested it in the chamber before destroying it. It was most definitely a Horcrux. Either Lucius Malfoy didn’t realize it was a Horcrux and handed it out or there were others made to keep Voldemort from dying. What are your theories on that, Mr. Dumbledore?”

Albus Dumbledore was quiet for several seconds, but it seemed like hours as he stared at the diary.

“I only kept things from you and controlled your life, because I wanted you to have normal childhood,” he said apologetically with his eyes downcast on the diary.

“My childhood was destroyed anyway. Voldemort made sure of that,” said Harry firmly.

The door to the office flung open and a tall man with black robes and long white-blonde hair strode defiantly in. There was wretched looking House Elf clinging to his left boot trying to polish it as he walked.

“I thought I had told you that you have been removed as the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Dumbledore,” hissed the man.

Harry immediately disliked this man. He might have issues with Albus, but he still respected the man. This new person showed him only contempt.

“Ah, Lucius, I thought you would have heard the rest of the Governors had requested that I return when Ron Weasley was captured and taken into the Chamber of Secrets. It seems their desire to save him overrode the fear they had of you,” said Dumbledore coolly.

Lucius showed a touch of a smile for second, before responding. “Weasley you said; one of Arthur’s brood? It would be so terrible to have fewer Weasleys in this world.”

Harry had to control his anger. Even Uncle Vernon never made Harry as angry as what this pompous arse just did. He didn’t even care that Ron might have died. He quickly made the connection. This must be Lucius Malfoy, the person who slipped Ron the diary.

As Lucius talked, the house Elf was trying to get him presentable. While the House Elf was standing on Lucius’ shoulders straightening his hair, it looked down at the desk and saw the diary. The House Elf recognized it and started shaking with fear so violently that it fell off Lucius’ shoulder.

“Stupid creature,” shouted Lucius. He swung his heavy walking stick back and it collided with the side of the House Elf’s head. The House Elf collapsed on the floor behind Lucius. The git kept his eyes focused on Albus Dumbledore. “Well did you?” he asked with contempt.

“Did I what Lucius?”

“Did you save that Weasley?”

“Ron Weasley is safe and being examined by Madam Pomfrey as we speak. Slytherins’s monster has been destroyed.”

Lucius Malfoy seemed to be surprised by the last announcement. He stared at Albus Dumbledore in amazement. Harry could feel someone staring at him. He looked down at Malfoy’s House Elf. He was staring at Harry with tennis ball sized green eyes.

“I didn’t do it,” stated Albus Dumbledore. He looked at Harry.

“I did,” stated Harry. He hoped Albus Dumbledore wouldn’t announce who he was.

“Who might you be?” Lucius sneered down his nose at Harry.

“That’s Harry Potter, master,” squeaked the House Elf.

“Bond, James Bond,” Harry said trying not to laugh. It was something that he had done at times to determine if one was magical or Muggle. Muggles would react to the name and most would laugh. Magical people would accept the name without any reaction.

“Silence Dobby,” shouted Lucius. He swung his cane at Dobby again. The little creature was once again bludgeoned in the face.

“He couldn’t be Harry Potter. Potter is the same age as my son,” stated Lucius. “James Bond is that a Muggle name?”

“Yes, it is,” replied Harry cheerily. He wanted to hit Lucius Malfoy with every Curse he knew, and then beat him with his own cane. It wasn’t just because he was cruel to his House Elf, but he also tried to kill innocent students and possess Ginny’s brother.

“Very well, I see everything is in order here. I shall be leaving,” Lucius stated.

He turned on his heels and walked out the door. He was able to kick his House Elf once on his way out.

Harry stood up. He needed to do something. A plan quickly formed in his mind. He looked at the diary on the desk. “I need to borrow that,” he said before grabbing it off the desk.

He kicked off one of his boots and removed his sock. He folded the sock and with a mild Shrinking Charm was able to place it in the book so it couldn’t be seen as long as the book remained closed.

After putting his boot back on, he ran after Malfoy. He eventually caught up with him.

“Mr. Malfoy, you forgot something,” shouted Harry.

Lucius Malfoy stopped walking and turned to look at Harry. “I did?”

Harry ran up to him and shoved the book into his hands.

“You forgot Voldemort’s diary,” he said as he stepped back so Lucius couldn’t hand it to him. “After all you did place it with Ron Weasley’s school supplies.”

“I never saw this before,” Lucius protested.

“Your House Elf recognized it, so I say you also have seen it.”

Lucius sneered at Harry. “Why don’t you prove it, Mr. Bond?” He glared at the House Elf and slapped him across the face with the diary knocking him over and dropped it on the House Elf’s chest. Lucius turned and walked away from Harry. Dobby stood up to follow, while carrying the diary.

“Dobby, open the diary,” said Harry.

“Don’t address my servant,” ordered Lucius.

Dobby had frozen in his tracks. He looked at Harry like he had grown another head. Harry made a motion with his hands like someone opening a book. Dobby looked between Harry and his cruel master, with trembling fingers he opened the diary.

The House Elf stared at the book for a second before grabbing the sock out of it and screaming. “I is free!”

“You,” hissed Lucius, as he went to pull his wand.

Harry was faster. He had his wand pointed at Lucius’ face. “Go ahead; I will curse you to bits.”

Lucius stopped trying to pull his wand. He stepped back and stared at Harry’s wand and then at Harry’s face. “You have no idea who you are dealing with. You stupid fool.”

“I know you are a cruel and sadistic arse,” responded Harry.

“I am not through with you, Mr. Bond,” growled Lucius as he turned and walked away.

Harry watched Lucius Malfoy walk away. He had to try to calm himself down. Dobby, the exuberant House Elf gazed lovingly up at him with tear filled eyes. Replacing his wand, he smiled. “Everyone can come out now, it is all over.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny left Harry to meet with Professor Dumbledore and walked with her family to the infirmary. She was concerned for Harry. He wasn’t as adept at Occlumency as he was at other forms of magic. She tried to keep their connection open so she could sense what was happening. She was concentrating on Harry’s mental state so intently that she wasn’t paying attention to the people around her.

“Are you going to talk to us?” asked Fred.

Ginny was snapped out of her thoughts by the question. Fred and George were staring at her.

“Sorry, I was…,” she stopped to think what she could say. She didn’t want to tell them that she had a mental connection with Harry. “…deep in thought.”

“Yeah, we could tell,” said Fred,

“What do you think Professor Dumbledore wants to talk to Harry about?” asked George bluntly.

She chuckled at this brass. He would just come right out and ask a question most would try to talk around the subject before finally asking her.

“They are probably sharing recipes and debating whether Pumpkin juice or Butterbeer is better,” she cheekily replied to them.

The twins stopped and together they hugged her.

“It’s good to have you back Gin-Gin,” they said in perfect unison.

“How do you two do that?”

“Do what hug you?” asked George.

“You open your arms like this,” said Fred.

“And you close them around the person you want to hug,” said George as the twins hugged each other.

All the Weasley’s, including their mother, laughed at the twins’ antics. It was good to hear them all laughing again. It had seemed like a lifetime since Ginny had heard her family laugh as a group. They had reached the doors of the infirmary to find Madam Pomfrey standing there waiting for them.

“Let’s get you in and examine you, Mr. Weasley,” ordered the school nurse.

“I am fine,” whined Ron.

“I highly doubt it after all you have been through,” huffed Madam Pomfrey.

“Ronald, you do what Poppy tells you,” ordered their mum.

Ron mumbled under his breath as he walked towards a bed that the nurse had set aside for him. After Ron reached it, Madam Pomfrey stood and stared at everyone with crossed arms, as though she was challenge anyone to defy her. She allowed Ginny’s Mum to be beside Ron, as she set up a screen to block them from view.

Ginny stood there waiting to hear what was wrong with Ron. She tried to connect with Harry, while she waited for Ron to be examined. She could locate him, but she couldn’t make the connection. He must be using Occlumency on Professor Dumbledore. Not being able to connect with his feelings and emotions left her feeling a little isolated, but she wasn’t concerned, because she knew he would be doing that against the Headmaster.

“I say two days,” stated George.

“No, just overnight,” replied Fred.

“What are the two of you talking about now?” demanded Percy.

“We are betting on how many nights Ron will have to stay here. You know how Madam Pomfrey likes to keep people for days for only having a hangnail,” said George.

“Ron looks good, so I say overnight,” replied Fred.

“She always finds something. He probably is weak from not eating for five hours. I still say two days,” countered George. “Ginny, what do you think?”

“Ron is in good shape, so I guess overnight.”

“That’s my bet, you need to take another time,” demanded Fred.

“Alright then, I say he won’t stay at all.”

Fred and George laughed at her bet.

“We can eliminate her from the competition,” they said together.

“If Ginny says there is nothing wrong with him, then I agree,” said Bill. “You won’t let me pick the same time, so I will say twelve hours.”

“But twelve hours could be the same as overnight,” countered Fred.

“No it isn’t,” replied Bill. “In twelve hours it will be midnight. For Ron to stay overnight, he must wake up here tomorrow morning at or after dawn.”

“All right then, twelve hours it is,” agreed Fred.

Ginny looked around the infirmary. It was rather bleak looking with old metal beds. Even though it wasn’t fancy, it still looked clean and well maintained. There were several beds filled but the occupants were not moving. They may be the ones that have been petrified, because she couldn’t feel anything from them.

Ron’s voice from the other side of the screen caught Ginny’s attention. “I told you that I was fine.”

“Even though I didn’t find anything wrong with you, I still want you to stay here a while longer. If you are still fine tonight you can return to your room,” ordered Madam Pomfrey.

“With what you went through, you should be weak physically and magically,” she said almost as a question.

Ginny smiled at her comment. After she and Harry had bonded, they both developed different magical abilities. Harry was able to feel the presence of magic and manipulate it without a wand. She developed into an empath with the ability to heal without using spells.

When they were in the chamber, she could feel and actually see Ron’s magic and life being sucked out of him. It scared her terribly to know that her brother was being drained by someone else. It took powerful dark magic to do that, but it was by Lord Voldemort, thus logical.

Even now she can feel everyone in the room. Madam Pomfrey was confused why Ron wasn’t in worse shape. Her mother was worried about Ron and angry that this happened to him. Percy seemed to be agitated about something; he was probably irritated that rules had been broken. Her father was nervous about something, but knowing his son had been possessed by Voldemort would do that. Fred and George were both extremely curious, but she wasn’t sure about what. Her power didn’t allow her to intrude into someone thoughts, but she could understand there emotional state by their physical state.

The only person that she could read their thoughts was Harry. They both could sense when the other was feeling strong emotions, but Harry’s ability wasn’t as well defined as hers. She liked the arrangement where she could tell what he was thinking, but he only knew her emotional state. It kept her a bit of a mystery to him, and she liked that.

“Ginny, we were wondering if we could talk to you alone, before you disappear again?” asked Fred.

“Sure, it isn’t like I am planning on being completely out of touch. You can always owl me.”

George laughed at her. “No, dear sister you haven’t been out of touch. We can owl you but we have no idea where you are living, and no one, including the Ministry, can locate you. Dad tried for six months, but even the Auror department and International Cooperation department came up blank.”

“Sorry about that,” she replied unapologetically. “What do....”

Ginny had a surge of anger wash over her. She knew it wasn’t her emotions, but Harry’s. She couldn’t decipher anything else from him except her was very angry at someone and had let his Occlumency wards drop.

“Blimey, sis, you don’t need to get so angry at us,” exclaimed Fred and George.

“What,” said Ginny? She forgot that she was in the infirmary with her family. She was so focused on Harry. “I need to leave.”

“What is going on with Harry?” asked Bill.

“He’s angry,” she said over her shoulder as she ran out of the infirmary. She could hear her mother and father calling to her, but she wasn’t concerned about them right now. There were others running with her through the halls. She knew Bill would follow her, but she wasn’t sure who else would. The castle was so confusing to her, and when she reached where the hallway met a stairwell, she was confused. She was sure that they came down the hallway, but she could feel Harry down the stairwell.

“Ginny, wait! We can help,” shouted the twins at her.

She stood there staring at the stairwell and the hallway. “Isn’t Dumbledore’s office that way?” she asked pointing up the hallway.

“Yes, why do you ask?” questioned Bill.

“Because I feel that Harry is down there,” she said indicating the stairwell.

“We can find him,” the twins said in unison.

They pulled out a blank sheet of parchment. Fred pulled his wand, but someone reached out with their wand and touched the parchment.

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good,” said Remus Lupin.

Sirius and Remus had appeared out of seemingly nowhere. They both smiled at Fred and George.

“I wondered how you were able to see Ron at the sink and not know where he went. Moony told me you reacted to my Marauders comment,” said Sirius.

Fred and George looked star struck at Remus and Sirius. “Who are you?”

“Padfoot, Prongs was Harry’s dad, and Wormtail…,” Sirius went from happy to looking angry in a flash. “…we don’t discuss the bloody traitor.”

“That’s all well and good, but where is Harry?” shouted Ginny.

“Sorry,” said Remus. “He is there and he seems to be…,” Remus looked at Sirius. “We need to get to him before he does something stupid.”

“Who? Who is he following?” shouted Ginny. Harry anger was getting the best of her and when she mixed in her impatience at everyone around her.

“Lucius Malfoy,” Remus, Sirius and the twins said in unison.

They took off running down the stairs. Ginny was in the middle of the group. They ran down two set of stairs before the third moved just before they stepped on it. Fred ran to the left down the hall. He suddenly stopped and lifted a tapestry. George led the way into the secret passage hidden behind the tapestry. They ran down the hidden stairs and emerged into another hall. Ginny was completely lost. Even Bill seemed a bit confused, but the other four seemed to know where they were going.

Suddenly Harry’s emotional state changed. He seemed to be calmer and more confident. “Wait, something has changed,” she said to them.

George looked at the map. “If we drop down another secret passage we will come out right beside them.”

“What are they doing?” she asked.

“Standing, not moving,” George replied.

“Harry has a plan. Let him complete it,” she ordered everyone.

They went behind another tapestry and started down the stairs. Sirius was in the lead and he stopped and was listening to what was going on in the hallway. Ginny nudged her way through everyone to be beside Sirius. She could hear the conversations on the other side of the tapestry.

“I is free!” shouted a House Elf.

“You,” hissed Lucius.

“Go ahead; I will curse you to bits.” Harry said.

Ginny could feel he was confident. Sirius stirred beside her, but she paced a hand on his arm to halt him.

“You have no idea who you are dealing with. You stupid fool,” shouted Lucius.

“I know you are a cruel and sadistic arse,” responded Harry.

“I am not through with you, Mr. Bond,” growled Lucius.

Ginny could hear Lucius Malfoy walk away. She smiled at Harry taking away the git’s House Elf. She looked over at Sirius. He was beaming with pride at Harry’s stunt.

“Everyone can come out now, it is all over,” Harry said.

Ginny burst through the tapestry it took her two steps to reach Harry and wrapped her arms around him. “You had me so worried.”

“Prongslet that was brilliant,” said Sirius. “However, if you plan on antagonizing the likes of Lucius Malfoy, we are going to have to step up your dueling classes.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Lucius Malfoy walked through the doors of the magical creature department in the Ministry. He was irritated that some Muggle had tricked him out of a House Elf. It was a lousy worthless House Elf, and he could afford to replace it. It was that he was tricked by a Muggle born wizard. He was pureblood and superior by his bloodlines.

He looked at the secretary. “I want to speak to Macnair,” he demanded of the secretary.

“He is in his office, Mr. Malfoy,” she replied meekly.

Lucius walked past her without another glance at her. Macnair had told him that she was a Muggle born. She should have never been hired to that position. He quickly found Macnair’s office and walked in.

“Macnair, I need another House Elf,” stated Lucius.

The former Death Eater and associate of Lucius looked at him. “Another House Elf, Lucius, are you trying to have more than Hogwarts?”

“Never mind why I want another House Elf. I also want you to do something for me,” stated Lucius as he pulled out a small bag of gold and placed it on Macnair’s desk.

Macnair opened the bag and smiled at its contents. “I take it this isn’t Ministry business.”

“I need you to find out who James Bond is and where he can be found.”

“Bond, you say. Is that a Muggle name?”

“Yes, he is a wizard that needs to be taught his place in our world.” Lucius emphasized “our world.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Lucius Malfoy Apparated outside of his estate. He could have used the Floo, but he enjoyed surveying everything his blood purity had brought him. The estate had a sprawling manicured garden maintained by four House Elves. He employed three to cook and maintain the manor house and he, Narcissa and Draco each had a servant.

He smiled as he walked across the garden to the large front door. Opening it, he stepped inside. When Frac the House Elf that was responsible for the house didn’t appear, he frowned.

“Frac,” called Lucius. The servant still didn’t appear.

“Lucius, is that you,” called Narcissa from the sitting room.

“Yes, where is that useless Elf, Frac,” shouted Lucius.

“I don’t know, but the fires are burning low. When you find him, make sure he attends to the fires,” shouted Narcissa.

“I am going to my den. I don’t want disturbed,” shouted Lucius back to his wife.

If she responded, he didn’t hear her. He stepped into his den and closed and magically locked the door. He noticed that his fireplace was cold. With the mood he was in, he might have to get another House Elf when he found Frac. He walked towards his liquor cabinet and shot a spell at the fireplace. He poured himself a firewhiskey and gulped down a large swallow. He needed something to calm his nerves.

Feeling the burn of the Firewhiskey, he turned to see the fireplace hadn’t ignited with his spell. He walked over to see what was wrong. The wood was missing from the hearth. Levitating some of the wood, he placed it on the grate. He went to flick his wand to start the fire, but something erupted from the fireplace and grabbed his arm.

A huge snake poured out of the fireplace. Its jaws were clamped around his wrist. The pressure and pain from the long fangs piercing through his wrist made him drop his wand. He was now helpless to stop the snake from crushing him to death as it flowed from the fireplace flue and wrapped itself around him.

The breath had been pushed from him by the snake’s strong coils. He felt a couple of his ribs snap from the pressure. He opened his mouth but no sound came out. He was going to die in his den crushed to death by a snake, the symbol of his house.

The snake released his wrist and moved to stare at him. Lucius stared at its yellow slit eyes. Then something strange happened, it must have been a hallucination from dying. The snakes face started to shift and its eyes became scarlet.

“Where is my diary, Lucius?” the voice of his dead master sounded in his head.

Lucius tried to focus through his clouded vision. He felt someone in his mind sorting through his thoughts. He could see the scene from Dumbledore’s office when he saw the destroyed diary on the desk.

“You fool,” hissed the voice in his head.

The snake constricted around him again breaking a few more ribs.

“You were sworn to serve me. You will serve me again or I will kill your precious family,” hissed the voice in his head.

The snake released him. The rush of air returning to his lungs caused him to cough. It was a rough and hacking cough. He looked over and saw the snake. Its head was not the head of a snake, but of a man. It looked similar to the Dark Lord’s.

“I need a body,” hissed the snake. “I have spent far too long in this form. I shall return to my former glory. You shall do my bidding and assist me in getting my body back. When I searched for immortality, I never imagined it would be as something slightly more than a ghost. I have finally learned what I must do to return. I cannot remain in this creature much longer before I destroy it, then I will be forced to find another host. You wanted to be a Death Eater to keep all your money and prestige away from the Muggles. It is time you paid your dues for that protection.”

“Who are you?” asked Lucius.

The snake reared up so it towered over Lucius. The misshapen head glared down at him with scarlet eyes. “I am your master. I am Lord Voldemort. You will do my bidding or I will use you and your precious family as my next hosts.”

Back to index


Chapter 6: Family Time

Author's Notes: Harry and Ginny try to reconnect with her parents and Dumbledore.
I apologize for taking so long with this chapter. I had so many ideas how it should progress and none of them seemed to work well together. I would like to thank my Beta, Leif for his help and quick work.


The hazy morning light shone through the windows of the ramshackle house by the village of Ottery St. Catchpole revealing a short plump redheaded woman rushing about her house cleaning. She donned a well-worn dressing robe as she cast Cleaning Charms. Dust was disappearing out of corners of the rooms and furniture was fluffing itself with each wave of her wand. She would occasionally return to the kitchen to attend to the breakfast that she was preparing for her husband.

Molly Weasley was nervous about today: Ginny was coming home. It had been almost two years since she disappeared from the kitchen with her brother Bill.

Molly stopped everything that she was doing and stared at the exact spot that her daughter had disappeared. Their house was Warded to prevent people from Apparating in and out of it, but somehow she had and took her brother Bill along too. It was an incredible display of magic for a fully qualified witch. Ginny had only been ten at the time, which made it impossible to believe.

The anguish that she felt seeing her youngest disappear in front of her resurfaced. She had never felt such anger before. With each passing day, after learning that she had run off with Harry Potter and Bill, her anger and resentment grew towards the boy that everyone else considered a hero. None of them had their ten-year old daughter stolen from them by him.

Molly could feel her emotions towards Harry Potter swirl out of control, so she went back to work cleaning the house. She checked on the eggs and bacon for Arthur. They were done, but Arthur wouldn’t be ready to eat for another hour. She cast a Charm on them to keep them warm, before returning to cleaning the sitting room.

Everyone had always thought it had been Arthur that wanted a little girl. He did want a girl but not as much as she. She wanted to be there for her as Ginny went through her teenage years. She could offer her advice and comfort as she dealt with teenage crushes and heartaches.

Molly loved her boys, but there was something special about a little girl. Ginny wasn’t a girl anymore either. She was a full grown woman, married, and she was actually only eleven years old. She had been around magic all her life and she still thought it strange what happened to her daughter. Magic shouldn’t be able to make one grow overnight, but her Ginny did.

Molly hoped that she and Ginny would have a year together without the interference of the boys. Molly could never spend as much time with her daughter as she had wanted. There were always the boys there to attend to and discipline. She even worried what type of girl Ginny would become. She collected bruises and scabs on her knees like other girls collected dolls and stuffed animals.

Reaching out, Molly opened the door to Ginny’s bedroom. She didn’t even remember walking up the stairs. The room remained the same since the day she left. It took Molly almost a month before she could go back in there.

She waited until the boys had left for Hogwarts. Then she sat down on Ginny’s unmade bed and cried for most of the day and several days after. Arthur would even find her in here lying on the bed clutching the threadbare quilt that Ginny used when he came home from work.

The bedroom was now cleaned every week like the rest of the bedrooms in their house. Even though no one had used it since that day, Molly looked at the thin layer of dust on the chest of drawers and the odd shaped desk that Arthur had built for his girl. Taking out her wand, she quickly Charmed the dust away. She went over to the already made bed fluffed the pillow and tucked the covering back in place.

“If you plan on Ginny staying overnight, you will probably need to expand the bed,” said Arthur from the doorway.

She glared at him before responding. “You seem rather comfortable with the fact that our eleven year old daughter is sharing a bed with a boy.”

“You know I wasn’t…, Molly,” replied Arthur. “…until I saw them together. They love each other and he shows respect for her.”

“He is always touching her,” she snapped at him. It bothered her that Harry was always holding her hand or placing an arm around her shoulders. It seemed as if they couldn’t be in the same room together without him touching her.

“She initiates the contact too. Would it be so upsetting if Charlie or Bill was treating a girl that way?”

“Like that would ever happen,” snorted Molly. Her two oldest boys didn’t seem to have any interest in one girl. They are both older than when Arthur and she married, and yet they seemed to want to remain bachelors for the rest of their lives.

Arthur had crossed the room and placed his hands on her shoulders and tried rubbing them to get her to relax. All the hurt and anger was welling up inside of her again. She knew she was being unreasonable, but her daughter was taken away and her eldest son had been complicit with keeping her hidden from them.

“If only they had lived here, instead of hiding from us. I don’t understand why they had to go and hide from everyone.”

Arthur stopped rubbing her shoulders for a second. “I supposed it was because we wanted them to break their soul bond.”

Molly stood there staring at her daughter’s room. “What did they expect?”

“That we support her,” whispered Arthur. “Can we try to do that?”

“I’ll try, but it isn’t natural. They should still be small and going to Hogwarts.”

“I can’t explain how they grew like they did, but they seem to be getting a good education. They are taking their OWL’s; pretty impressive since they are only twelve and eleven.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron Weasley stared at Harry, Ginny, and their two bodyguards approaching him at the Gryffindor breakfast table. They looked out of place. It wasn’t only their clothes, which weren’t regular robes, but it was their overall appearance they seemed more like Ministry officials rather than two people taking their OWLs.

“They never go anywhere alone. Why is that Ron?” asked Hermione Granger.

“Don’t know, why don’t you ask them?” growled Ron. He cared for Hermione and her constant inquisitive nature, but she was becoming annoying.

“I was planning on doing that,” she replied.

Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas laughed at Hermione’s comment. Before anyone else could make a comment Ginny and her entourage sat down across from them. It had become a routine that they would come to have breakfast with them before taking their exams.

“Where is all the food?” asked Harry.

“Ron ate it all,” laughed Seamus.

Ron glared at Seamus. He was going to say something, when there was a loud pop. A House Elf wearing socks, lederhosen, and a green felt cap was standing in front of Ron holding a platter filled with breakfast food. It was the oddest thing he had ever seen.

“Here is food for you and your Mistress, Harry Potter, sir,” squeaked the House Elf.

Ron leaned back away from the House Elf which appeared in front of him on the table. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Hermione was beside him opening and closing her mouth like fish out of water.

“What, don’t I get some?” asked Sirius Black.

“Sorry sir, but I serve the great Harry Potter.”

“Dobby, you don’t need to do this. There was food down there,” Harry said pointing to a platter of food on the other side of Dean.

The House Elf’s shoulders slumped. “I is sorry. Should I punish myself?”

“No!” shouted Harry and Ginny together.

“Put the platter down and sit down and join us for breakfast,” said Ginny.

Ron stared at her. He could not believe that she would say that to a House Elf. They were to serve wizards and witches, not eat with them.

“No, Dobby already ate. I shall wait for you at home.” He sat the platter down in front of Ginny and Harry and disappeared.

Ron sat there and stared at where the House Elf had been. Everyone else seemed to be in shock at the appearance of the crazed House Elf, but Ginny and her entourage.

“Oh, croissants with strawberry and cream cheese filled crepes,” said Ginny, as she grabbed the unusual breakfast foods. Harry and the other two also grabbed food off the platter.

Ginny looked at him. “You can have some too, Ron. Please, there is plenty for everyone to tuck in.”

Hermione grabbed one of the crescent shaped pastries off the platter. “Thank you, they are even warm.”

“What’s wrong Ron? I’ve never known you not to be hungry.” Ginny teased him.

“What are those things?” He never liked strange looking food.

“Oh, try the croissants, they are delicious,” insisted Hermione. She was tearing off pieces of the pastry and eating them with smile on her face.

Ron picked up the funny shaped pastry. It gave under his fingers and hardly weighed anything. He took a big bite of one. It was light and airy and seemed to melt in his mouth. He finished it in three bites. “There isn’t anything to these things. They are all air.”

“Oh Ron,” laughed Hermione. “They are supposed to be light and delicate.”

“Is everyone ready to go home for the holidays?” asked Harry.

“Yes, it is about time,” replied Ron.

Everyone else said they were ready. Hermione sounded a bit sad, as if she wanted school to last forever.

“We have our last OWL this morning then we will be going to the Burrow,” Ginny said happily. “If everything goes well, we will be at the platform of the Hogwarts Express when it arrives in London. Harry has never seen it before.”

She was smiling at Harry. Ron was still having a difficult time thinking of her as his little sister. She looked so mature and nothing like the specky little annoyance she was growing up.

“Which OWL are you taking this morning?” asked Hermione.

“Arithmancy,” said Harry.

“I find that subject very interesting,” said Hermione excitedly.

Ron watched as Hermione chatted animatedly about some boring subject like Arithmancy with Harry and Ginny. It didn’t seem right. He knew about the soul bond and how it changed Ginny. She was so different. She was so damned near perfect. She was smart, pretty, and wealthy. He started to remember all the doubts that led him to writing to Tom bubble up to the surface of his thoughts. He was Ron the gangly dull little brother.

He had always been comforted that Ginny would be younger than he, but she appeared to be more Bill or Charlie’s age than his. How was he supposed to compete with her and the rest of his family? Bill was the smart and talented Cursebreaker for Gringotts. Charlie was the Quidditch star and rugged strong dragon tamer. Fred and George were the masters of pranks and mischief. Percy was just Percy the Prefect, always perfect and proper. What could he ever do to distinguish himself from the rest of his family? The only thing they seemed to say was he can out eat the rest of the family. That certainly would not impress everyone, especially Hermione.

He looked at the bushy-haired witch sitting beside him. She was actually very cute even with that overbearing know it type of personality that was uniquely hers. Why would she ever look at him? He didn’t know why she was paying any attention to him now. It was he that set the basilisk on her. It was Ron’s feeling of inadequacy that allowed Tom to take control of him. He trusted Tom at first. When he finally realized Tom wasn’t a friend, it was too late.

“Ron,” said Ginny just above a whisper. She had reached over and placed a warm hand on his forearm. “Is everything all right?”

Ron was caught off guard by her sudden attention. He could feel his face get warm from embarrassment. She stared at him with concern in her eyes. She reminded him so much of their Mum at that moment. He noticed she even had the same color of eyes. He was caught between being embarrassed and comforted by her touching him in public.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m brilliant,” he said too brightly.

“All right, just know that we are here for you,” she said softly, as she pulled her hand away.

Ron felt strangely disquieted when she took her hand away. That was the second time that Ginny calmed him by touching him. He remembered waking up in her arms in the Chamber. He wasn’t afraid or tired, until she let go of him. He had forgotten about Tom coming to life while she held him. It seemed like a strange thing to feel but he could actually feel himself getting stronger before he came out of the trance. It was like he was actually fighting Tom for his life.

The sound of Harry talking brought him out of his trance. Ron saw them getting up to go take their Arithmancy OWL. Ginny smiled at him.

“See you later, Ron,” she said. “If not before you go then we will be there at London.”

Ron didn’t know what to say. “Yeah, sounds good, see you then.”

It was a feeble response but at least he responded. He could feel Hermione looking at him with that questioning expression of hers.

“What?” he asked her.

“What is wrong?”

“Nothin’ is wrong,” he huffed.

“Ron you got very distant with us. What were you thinking?” questioned Hermione.

Ron didn’t want to discuss his feelings with her. He wasn’t even sure what he was thinking about or how he was feeling. He sure didn’t want to get into a discussion with Hermione here in the great hall.

“I wasn’t thinking about anything,” he replied. “After all, I am Ron Weasley and I am famous for not thinking.”

Everyone around them snorted and laughed at his self-deprecating humor, but not Hermione.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“I want them banned from the grounds! Forever!” demanded Severus Snape.

Severus Snape was standing in front of Albus’s desk in his traditional black robes, but these had splotches of bright colors all over them. It seems that Peeves had appeared with a Muggle device called a paintball gun that shot pellets of brightly colored paint at people. He had attacked the Slytherins as they left the school for the train. He even pelted Severus with them, and hit him on his nose. It was now bright red making it appear even larger than before.

Albus had to control his laughter. The charges against Peeves were serious, but Severus still looked like a clown in some dark sinister circus.

“I shall investigate,” replied Albus.

“Investigate? There is no need to investigate. It is obvious that Black and Lupin gave Peeves this weapon. They should be brought up on charges and thrown into Azkaban. That is where they belong,” Professor Snape hissed venomously.

“Did anyone see them giving Peeves this weapon?”

“There is no need for that. This is just the type of childish immature prank that they are so famous for. Ban them from the school premises, if you won’t send them to Azkaban,” Severus demanded.

“I will speak to them and determine if they are responsible for Peeves having possession of that gun. Until I make that determination, please try to enjoy your holidays, Severus.”

Severus stood up as straight as he could and stared down his large red nose at Albus. It was almost comical to see. “I will try,” Severus said forcing his voice to be amiable.

Albus Dumbledore took a deep breath and tried to clear the image of Severus Snape and his cloak of many colors, before looking over the exams in front of him. Harry and Ginny seemed to have passed their OWLs with high marks. He had hoped that they would have struggled with some of them. So he could convince them that they needed his tutoring, but that didn’t happen. He was emotionally torn between being happy for them and concerned because he didn’t have more control.

He realized that he can be overly controlling of people around him. He never felt that it was wrong for him to be that way, because he was always the most intelligent person in the room. He was beginning to feel like he no longer was, or some secret has been kept from him, which was extremely maddening.

The Weasleys and Potters were both intelligent families. However, he had never seen this level of intellect before in either family. Now he has two people who are exceeding even his accomplishments while he was a student. He could not have passed these exams in his second year, let alone his first like Ginny Weasley did.

He realized that he thought of her as a Weasley not a Potter. If he hadn’t seen them in Gringotts before they disappeared, he would have never believed them to be Harry and Ginny. He had never heard of a magical bond making people grow physically before. He has been trying to find information on soul bonds for the past two years. He has found nothing but the mention of their existence in the past.

One of the resources he found mentioned that soul bonded individuals have a history of personal troubles and many die young or remove themselves from society. Albus had concerns about them growing so fast. Could they continue to age rapidly and die an early death because of the soul bond? If they did, could Harry defeat Voldemort before his demise?

The door to his office opened interrupting his thoughts as Professor McGonagall entered with Harry. Albus was surprised to see that he was alone. It was the first time he had seen him more than ten feet away from his wife.

“Headmaster, Mr. Potter wanted to see you. I thought that you would also want to talk to him,” said the stern Transfiguration Professor.

“Yes, I would. Thank you, Minerva,” he said as he stood up from his desk. He created a chair for Harry to sit in. “Won’t you have a seat, Mr. Potter.”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said.

Albus stood there and watched as Harry casually sat down and stared at him. “To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”

“I would like to talk to you about Voldemort and fulfilling the prophecy,” he said calmly.

Professor McGonagall gasped when Harry said the name. Albus glanced over at her, thinking that she really needed to get over that fear. “Professor McGonagall, that will be all,” he said dismissing her. She stared at him for a second before leaving.

“Harry, I would advise you not to discuss the prophecy in front of other people.”

“Why? I didn’t say what the prophecy revealed.”

“If people find out that you have been named in a prophecy…,”

“They will know that Voldemort came to kill me that night,” Harry cut him off. “They will know that Voldemort fears me. Are you afraid that Voldemort might realize that I know about the prophecy the same as he does?”

“Harry, it is in the best interest of the magical society to keep the prophecy a secret,” he chastised the boy, while standing over him.

“Is it really? Why?”

“Because it is,” he stated. “You don’t know what magical society is like. I do. If they know of a prophecy it will not help us.”

“You don’t trust Professor McGonagall?” asked Harry. “I thought she was a member of the Order of the Phoenix.”

Once again, Harry caught him off guard. Albus did not appreciate this young man surprising him and changing the direction of the conversation. “Did Sirius and Remus tell you about the Order?”

“Yes, they told me about it,” he replied. “I was wondering if it is still active.”

“There is no need for it,” Albus replied. “I can assure you that when the time comes that the Order is needed again, I will get it organized.”

“Then you believe that Voldemort is dead and the Death Eaters have all been caught,” Harry said staring at him.

Albus’ anger was rising at this line of questioning. “That is not your decision. I am the leader of the Order.”

“Yes, you are,” replied Harry forcefully. “I thought the Order of the Phoenix was formed to fight against the dark forces of Voldemort. There are still known Death Eaters roaming the streets. You know that he isn’t completely dead, and yet you sit there and wait until he gets organized before calling in the Order to stop him and save innocent lives.

“You know as well as I do that he is coming back. Why not get ready for him and his followers?” insisted Harry. “The last time, he was cutting your group down as you were getting organized. Stop him from doing that this time.

“We may be able to determine where a couple of his objects are hidden by following his minions. Sitting back idly not doing anything isn’t productive. If we can destroy all of the Horcruxes before he regenerates his body, then he may never come back.”

Albus needed some time to think about what Harry had said. He folded his hands behind his back and paced in front of Harry. He could sense that Harry wasn’t lying about anything, but it was still unnerving to have his actions scrutinized. The most frustrating thing was Harry was making sense. It wasn’t that he would reject a good thought just because it wasn’t his, but he didn’t want to give Harry the impression that he was going to relinquish control of the Order of the Phoenix to a twelve year-old.

“You seem to think that I haven’t been doing anything but sitting in this office twiddling my thumbs,” retorted Albus. “I have been very active in pursuing possible locations for the Horcruxes, without announcing to the world what I am doing.”

“Have you made any progress?” the young man asked.

“I do not wish to divulge that information at the present time,” Albus replied.

Harry’s face turned a deep shade of red, but he never yelled. He sat back in his chair and took a deep breath. “You will not share the information that you have gathered with anyone. Will you?”

“It is safer locked away in here,” Albus said tapping the side of his head.

Harry glared at him. “You talk about how information will be safer locked away in your head. How you will get the Order reorganized when Voldemort threatens society again. What will you do if you die before those things happen? Do you feel that you are immortal?”

Albus was stunned that the boy would say that. “I am feeling rather good. If I start failing, I will make the proper arrangements so we can keep up the battle against Voldemort.”

“You seem to feel that you cannot be killed, Professor,” Harry said icily.

“I know that I might die, Harry,” replied Albus. His voice was tight as he tried to control his emotions and tongue. “Do you know of any threats against me?”

“It only makes sense with me being out of the headlines…,” replied Harry calmly. “…that you will become Voldemort and his minions’ next target. It may even happen inside of this very school. All your research will be useless if it dies with you.”

Albus could not argue with Harry’s logic. It was just a bitter pill to swallow. “Are you suggesting that I reveal everything to you? That I make you the leader of the Order?”

“I don’t want to be the leader, Professor. I just want to make sure that I can win this fight coming up, and all the other battles along the way.”

Harry stopped talking and stared at him before glancing away at the portraits. Albus could see he was becoming emotional about something.

“I never intended for you to have to take on so much responsibility at such a young age,” Albus said gently to the young man. “It wasn’t because I wanted to control your life, but to protect you from it.”

Harry’s gaze turned back to him and became hard again; whatever was affecting his mood was pushed to the side. “I didn’t need protection. I needed to be educated. We still do.

“This prophecy has gone beyond me. It now includes Ginny. If I die, she will quickly follow. That is one of the disadvantages of a soul bond. I am not afraid to die, but I will not allow Ginny to die. There are many things we have learned about soul bonds in the past two years. There are many things we still don’t know or are not sure if they are possible, but we keep on trying to discover the limits and dangers of this bond we have.”

“That was one of the reasons why I wanted to break it,” interjected Albus. Harry snorted at his comment.

“You could not stop this bond from happening. We were destined. For us to be bonded, we must fit all the criteria. If we are missing one single criterion, this bond never happens. We must want to be bonded, and we must fulfill each other. We are much greater together than apart from each other.”

“In what way, Harry?” asked Albus. His professional curiosity was getting the better of him.

“You must first gain my trust before I tell you much more, Professor,” replied Harry. Harry looked at his watch. “You have five minutes to make your decision.”

“Five minutes? Why five minutes?” he asked the lad.

“In five minutes Ginny and I are going to try an experiment. If it works I will be gone. If I don’t gain some level of trust in you, then we may never return. It would be better for magical society if we disappear than if Voldemort captures us.”

“Why is that?”

Harry stared at him. “I need trust and promises, Professor.”

“Harry, we want the same thing.”

“Will you work with us and be honest with us?”

Albus took a deep breath. He hated making that promise, but he needed Harry to defeat Voldemort. Finally, he saw no other recourse but to make the promise.

“Yes, yes, I promise you,” sighed the Headmaster.

“Ginny was right again. She said you would come around, but would need to be pressured.” Harry stood up and stepped away from the desk. He extended his hand towards Albus. “Take my hand if you want to hear more and also join in an experiment.”

“I want to hear more, but what are you planning to do?”

“A soul bonded couple has the ability to ‘pull’ their partner to them by the need to be with them. I did it when we first bonded. I pulled Ginny from the Burrow to me. We want to see if we can break through the Wards over this castle.” Harry looked at his watch. “You have thirty seconds.”

“Where will we be going?” he asked Harry. He didn’t think Harry would do anything stupid and lead them into a trap, but he still need to know their destination. Anyone would want to know their destination. Albus wasn’t going to budge from his request, so they stood there staring at each other, until Harry finally spoke.

“To the Burrow,” he said. “Ten, nine, eight,….”

“Albus grabbed Harry’s hand as he reached ‘two’.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The Burrow appeared in front of Ginny as she and Bill Apparated to a secluded meadow above their family home. Ginny could see it through a break in the surrounding woods. She never realized how much she missed seeing the strange building that she called home for the first ten years of her life.

“It has been a long time,” sighed Bill.

She didn’t dare look at her brother. She could hear the emotion in his voice. As difficult as returning would be for her, it would be much harder on her brother. He had helped her escape and kept her away against the family wishes. Their mother was not one to forget his actions.

“If things get too strained, I am leaving,” she told her brother.

“I thought you could sense Dad’s acceptance?” He asked her.

“It is Mum that worries me. Her overbearing matriarchal attitude reminds me of some despot.”

Bill chuckled at her comparison. “I guess you could call that the land of Molly down there,” he said indicating the Burrow. “We are her subjects owing her fealty.”

“I guess we should go and address the queen. We are on a time-table,” said Ginny. Bill’s laughter made her relax a little.

Being around him the past two years was helpful with her fears and adjustments to being an adult. All her life her mother told her that she would understand things when she grew up. When she matured so suddenly and still didn’t understand why life was ordered like it was. Bill helped her understand that many people accepted things the way they were. There was no great understanding of prejudice and hatred that seemed to separate people into classes, just acceptance that that was the way of it.

The home looked exceptionally neat and orderly as she walked towards it. There had always been Wellington boots sitting by the back door. They had been cleaned up now and the garden neatly trimmed. Ginny always enjoyed the chaotic and slightly unkempt appearance of the garden.

They had not made it halfway up the walk when her parents appeared at the kitchen door. Both Bill and she stopped walking for a second at the sight of both of their parents staring at them, but they both quickly recovered and continued to walk towards them.

Her parents seemed to take this as their cue to also start walking towards them. No one said anything until after she and Bill had been met and hugged by both their mother and father. It was her father that spoke first.

“Welcome back home, Weasleys’,” he said light-heartedly. “Come let’s have some tea and biscuits.”

The four of them walked into the neat kitchen. The sight of it made Ginny wonder how nervous and upset her Mum was. She could feel emotions pour off her like the waves of an angry ocean. Her father though seemed calmer and more honest with his emotions.

After everyone had their tea, he father once again started up the conversation. “What did you think of the OWLs Ginny?”

“They were difficult, but I think we did all right on them. Bill, Remus, and even Sirius were good teachers.”

Bill and she laughed at her comment. Everyone took the mickey out on Sirius about being a respectable Professor of Transfiguration and Arithmancy. Her father gave them a strange look, but her mother seemed to be smoldering at her comment.

“Sirius never thought of himself as the Professor type. He still thinks he is teenager,” laughed Bill. “He is quite skilled…,”

“Not better than any of the Hogwarts Professors,” said their Mum sternly. “You could learn a lot more from going to Hogwarts than being tutored on your own. You don’t have Albus Dumbledore to help instruct you. He was the best Transfiguration Professor ever.”

The anger washing off her mother made Ginny cringe. It was times like these that made her empathy towards other people was difficult to take. She didn’t need any special powers to know her Mum was angry with them, or her father was anxious about how her Mum was acting right now. It was obvious to a blind man.

“Molly dear, Minerva teaches Transfiguration now,” her Dad tried to defuse the situation. “Albus is the ….”

“That is not the point,” her Mum stood up and shouted at her father. “Ginny is only eleven, Arthur. She should be in school. Maybe if she was there, Ron would not have — have that terrible thing happen to him.

“No, she hasn’t been seen around here for years,” her mother continued to rant. “She went off and got herself married; never asked us if we approved. Who knows, she might even be pregnant by now. We might even have a grandchild. Our son, our eldest son has helped her do this; against our will and our pleadings to bring her back. This world is too dangerous for our little girl to be out there alone. Voldemort might be dead, but….”

“He isn’t,” shouted Ginny. She was tired of her mother’s attitude. “He isn’t dead, only defeated for now.”

“Ginny, you need to be careful,” said Bill.

“I don’t care. We need to tell them anyway. Besides, I am tired of sitting here and listening to her rant about me without saying anything. I am an adult now and have the right to make my own decisions. I was technically married when Harry and I bonded in Diagon Alley two years ago. I am wearing rings, but we never had a ceremony. I wondered if we could have one now, but it doesn’t sound like you would be receptive to being a part of it.

“Bill has been there for me over the past two years. He has dedicated himself to protect me and Harry. So have Remus and Sirius. We all work together as a team. We don’t give each other orders only advice like friends. I may only be eleven in actual years, but in the past two years I have matured to where people guess I am older than Bill.

“We came here today to see if you would like to join us in our fight against the evil that is festering in this country. I feel that Dad would be willing to help, but all I feel from you, Mum, is anger and resentment.

“I am not a doll or a plaything that was taken away from you. Your feelings of missing out on my developing years are misguided. I would never have gone to you about any boy problems or any other problems like that. We never had that type of a relationship. I would have been too afraid of being sent to do housework for failing you.”

Ginny took a deep breath to calm down. Her mother stared at her in shock. It was obvious that she had surprised her Mum with the knowledge that she had missed out on Ginny’s developing years. The emotion filled room was keeping Ginny anxious and agitated. She could not even tell who it was coming from. It might even be her emotions feeding everyone else in the room and then their emotions inflaming hers.

Without even thinking about it, she turned and walked towards her old room. “I need to get away for a minute,” she shouted over her shoulder.

As she walked up the stairs away from the kitchen, she could sense everyone’s emotions coming under control down in the kitchen. It had been her that had set everyone on edge. She needed to get away from them to calm down.

Stepping in her old room, she was hit with a wave of nostalgia. The room looked exactly like she remembered it. It was almost as though nothing aged here in the past two years. The same books sat on her makeshift desk. The same Weird Sisters and Harpies posters were on the wall, only a little more faded. The same worn quilt covered her bed. All the memories of her playing in here came back to her.

It was only two years ago, that she was sitting up here imagining flying with the Harpies as they defeated the Cannons by five hundred points. When she wasn’t thinking about flying with the Harpies, she was singing along with the Weird Sisters. The precious memories made her smile.

“It’s good to see you smile again,” said her father, from the doorway of her room.

“I’m sorry that I got so upset, but I can’t break this bond, Dad. Mum needs to understand that I can’t go back. I don’t want to go back. If you would just take the time to know Harry, you would love him. He is so unselfish and caring.”

“He sounds wonderful, pumpkin,” her father said as he walked up to her. “Your mother just cares a lot, and wasn’t ready to give you up to the world yet.”

“I know she wanted to be there for me during my teenage years. I am not sure if I would have ever confided in her.”

“How do you know that? Did she tell you that in one of her letters?”

Ginny smiled at her father. Would he believe what she was about to tell him? “No, I sensed it from her. I have developed what might be called empathy with people around me. In some cases, I can actually tell what someone is thinking. It can create problems when I am in an emotionally charged situation I can become emotionally overloaded.”

“Is that what happened downstairs?” he asked her.

Ginny ran her hands through her hair as she realized that the intensity of the argument in the kitchen was as much her fault as her mothers. “Yeah, that is why I came up here, to calm down.”

“How long have you been like this, pumpkin?”

“Since, I bonded with Harry. We each have developed different magical strengths over the past two years. Harry can sense the magic around him as I sense people’s emotions. Where I can walk into a room and feel everyone’s intentions, he can sense what type of a spell a person is casting before they cast it.”

“Merlin, you are serious,” exclaimed her father. “Can you tell what I am thinking?”

Ginny grimaced. She was not that close to him to tell what he was thinking. “Sorry Dad, Harry is the only one that I can actually do that with. Well, it seems that I can also do that with Mum.”

“Is that how you knew about her missing out on your teenage years?”

“Yeah, I guess. That just sort of popped into my head,” replied Ginny sheepishly. “I shouldn’t have said that I would have never confided in her. I was just — just so bloody angry about what she was saying.”

“Were you serious with what you said in the kitchen?” questioned her father. “About having a ceremony,” he added, when she looked at him with a puzzled expression

“I was serious, but I shouldn’t have said anything.”

He walked over and looked out of her window at the large garden behind the house by the orchard. “I had always wanted to have your wedding out there. I never asked you about that, because — well I always thought I had several years before that would happen.”

Ginny walked over and put her arm around her father’s waist and laid her head on his shoulder. She looked out at the garden. It would be nice place for a summer wedding. “That would be nice out there. I will have to ask Harry what he thinks.”

She lifted her head off his shoulder. “You don’t think Mum will do something to sabotage the wedding, do you?”

He laughed at her comment. “No, as long as she is given some say in it, you should be alright.”

“Good, let’s go talk to her. There are some other things that we need to discuss before Harry gets here.”

She grabbed her father’s hand and escorted him out of her old room and down to the kitchen. Her mother was sitting there talking with Bill. She could sense that they were fairly calm. There was some tension in the room, but nothing like it was earlier.

“Alright, I have calmed down,” Ginny said to her Mum. “We need to talk and you and I need to remain as calm as possible, or else we will have another blow up.

Her Mum opened and closed her mouth before looking at her Dad, who nodded his head. This seemed to drive the message home to her mother. “All right I’ll try. Bill explained that you are an Empath. I guess it is easy for you to become emotional.”

Ginny glared at Bill for a second before speaking. “I am more sensitive to people that I am emotionally connected. When you get emotional Mum, I get even more emotional.”

“I see,” said her Mum thoughtfully. “Is there anything else that has happened because of this bond?”

Ginny could feel Bill fidgeting, but she didn’t want to reveal everything right now. “Yes, there is but we don’t have time to discuss everything right now.” She checked her wrist watch and saw that she would have to try to call Harry to her in ten minutes.

“I have ten minutes before Harry gets here,” she said. Bill coughed slightly to remind her that they were trying to break through the wards at Hogwarts. She stared at him for a second before continuing with her explanation.

“All right, I have a lot to say, so please let me finish before you ask questions.” When her parents nodded yes, she started explaining. “You asked what else is different. The obvious thing is I am tied to Harry and his fight against dark wizards and witches in this country. There are many other things, but that is the most obvious.

“We want Professor Dumbledore to start the Order of the Phoenix up again. Last time the members barely survived, but we want to get a head start on Voldemort this time.” He parents reacted to the name. “Oh please, it is just a name he made up to sound more impressive than Tom Riddle.”

“Tom Riddle, as in the owner of that diary?” asked her father.

“Yes, the very same one, but I don’t want to discuss him right now. I need you to know that we: Harry, Bill, Sirius, Remus, and I have a plan to protect you, in case the Death Eaters come after this family. I have sensed that you will all cooperate, except possibly Percy. We will come up with a method of transporting you to a safe place via a Portkey. Once there, you will be stuck hidden away until the war is pretty much over.”

“Where would this be?” her Mum asked.

“We would be transporting you between our houses at random intervals,” replied Ginny.

“Houses?” asked her father.

“We have eleven, but we don’t want to reveal their locations just now.”

“Would they be large enough for our family and Harry’s?” asked her Mum.

“We could each have our own bedroom with some to spare,” laughed Bill.

“You have a house that large?” asked her father wide-eyed.

“No we have eleven that large,” snapped Ginny. She wanted to discuss something else, before it came time to try to bring Harry here. “Sorry I snapped, but I want to tell you, Mum, that Harry and I would like to exchange our wedding vows and have a ceremony with all the family present. Do you have any objections to that?”

“Where will we be holding it?” her Mum asked with an edge to her voice.

“Well, Dad suggested in the backyard and I like that idea,” responded Ginny. “Bill, do you think we could have stronger wards for protection?”

“Piece of cake, sis, especially with the two of you on the property” responded Bill.

Ginny looked at him. She didn’t want anyone to know about how their bond increases everyone’s magic that stands close to them. “Good I will discuss that with Harry when he arrives…,” she had a wave of emotion wash over her all the way from Hogwarts.

Professor Dumbledore would be coming with Harry. Ginny needed to feel a deep desire to bring Harry to her. Possibly the idea of them actually getting married was enough to make her want him beside her. Reaching out with her emotions, she could feel Harry hundreds of miles away. There seemed to be something between them holding him back. She tried to force him to her, to pull him all the way across the country. Closing her eyes , she filled her head with the images of strolling along the various beaches holding hands, of evenings spent in bed reading and doing homework, and private moments holding each other. Yet, something was keeping him away from her. She was getting desperate to see him again. Then the image of when he gave her the rings came to mind. They were standing on a balcony with the moonlight shining in Harry’s beautiful green eyes. The look on his face was making her heart melt.

Without a sound Harry and Professor Dumbledore appeared in front of her. The air in the room seemed to shift and shimmer for a second as they were pulled through the Wards protecting the home. She could hear her mother’s gasp at the sight of Harry and Professor Dumbledore.

Her eyes were focused on Harry. The Headmaster was there, but he was unimportant to Ginny. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Harry’s chest. “I’ve missed you,” she whispered into his chest.

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and gently kissed the top of her head. “I missed you too. If you don’t mind asking, what was the memory you used?” he whispered to her.

“Our first night, when you gave me the rings,” she whispered into his chest. She wiggled so she could get as close to him as possible. This was where she belonged beside him holding him. She could hear a people talking excitedly around her, but she didn’t care.

Bill grabbed her shoulder and tried to pull her away from Harry. She clung tighter to him and glared at Bill.

“You two need to separate, right now,” he shouted at them.

She was going to ask him why, when she noticed that everyone was running around cancelling Charms that kept the Burrow running. The building itself seemed to be swaying and groaning. It suddenly occurred to her that this house was held together with magic. With her and Harry so close and so happy, she were increasing the power of all the spells used in the house.

Harry noticed also and stepped away from her. The distance seemed so cold and lonely, even though they were only about two feet apart.

The house settled down and stopped swaying and groaning. The brush that had been cleaning the pans from lunch had been virtually destroyed and one pan looked like it had been bent out of shape by the excessive magical cleaning.

Everyone else was settling down now that the magic in the house was back under control, and they were all staring at her and Harry, except Bill. He was looking outside.

“The wards have increased about tenfold. I will need to dial them back before anyone can come through them,” Bill said.

“Bill, you mentioned that increasing the strength of the wards would be easy with Ginny and Harry here. Is what we just witnessed the reason you said that?” Asked her father, while staring at her and Harry.

“That is one of the side-effects of our soul-bond,” stated Harry. “The worst thing that can happen is not Voldemort killing me, except that Ginny may die soon afterwards. The worst thing is if Voldemort captures us together.”

“He would use you as a source of power to increase his and the Death Eaters’ magical power,” said Albus Dumbledore. He looked a bit peaky as he looked at Ginny and Harry.

“It has happened before,” stated Bill. “An ancient wizard had two friends complete a soul bond. He used them to almost conquer the world. The two committed suicide to keep him from overthrowing the world.”

“You have books on soul bonds?” asked Albus Dumbledore.

“Three books and several scrolls,” replied Bill.

“Where did you find them?”

“The Potter family library,” stated Bill.

“I would very much like to see this library,” stated an eager Albus Dumbledore.

“Not until we have started up the Order of the Phoenix,” said Harry firmly.

The Headmaster looked at Harry. He seemed almost caught by surprise at Harry’s comment.

“We need to get a leg up for when Voldemort comes back to finish me off,” stated Harry.

Ginny smiled as her parents squeaked at Harry saying Voldemort’s name.

“I will do that, but it will take some time,” said the Headmaster. “I need to find a meeting place large enough to hold everyone without raising anyone’s suspicion.”

“We could use this house, when Harry and Ginny say their vows,” offered her father.

Harry looked at her in shock. Ginny could hear him thinking.

“Yes, they agreed and they want to have it in the back garden,” Ginny nearly shouted with excitement.

“Don’t worry, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, I will pay for everything and we can have the House Elves make all the food,” offered Harry.

He started looking confused as both of her parents were glaring at him. He hadn’t realized how much the offer had insulted them. She warned him that her parents would not take money from him and her Mum would want to cook and bake everything. Ginny tried and failed to keep her laughter under control at the sight of her husband stammering to apologize.

Back to index


Chapter 7: Ambushed

Author's Notes: Harry and Ginny prepare to have an actual bonding ceremony at the Burrow. Somebody else has other plans.
A special thanks to my beta Leif.


Macnair appeared on the front path of Lucius Malfoy’s estate. He brought with him two large cages. Each cage held an anxious unicorn, and they rocked from the movement of the unicorns as Macnair Levitated them towards Lucius.

“Well, there you are, Lucius,” said the former Death Eater, Macnair. He dropped the cages down by the front steps of Lucius’s manor house. “I never figured you to want creatures like these on your property…,” Macnair stopped talking as a peacock squawked to his left. “I supposed if you have those noisy birds, you have the right to own unicorns.”

Lucius stared at Macnair. He did not trust the man. He may have been a former Death Eater too, but he never swore an allegiance to Lucius, just the Dark Lord. “Just leave them, and I will take care of them,” he said angrily.

“No, I can’t do that. The law states that I need to oversee them being released back into the wild or a proper habitat,” said a smiling Macnair.

“And you always do what the ministry tells you to do,” countered Lucius. He could tell that Macnair wanted to find out what he wanted with the unicorns.

“These are highly regarded and protected magical creatures, Lucius. Why, if you would leave them in their cages for very long, they will die”

“They are to remain in their cages for at least another two weeks. My son wants to make a present of them to his girlfriend on her birthday, which will be in two weeks,” Lucius calmly lied.

Macnair shifted from one foot to another and stared at Lucius. He scrubbed his face with his left hand before speaking again. “What are you up to Lucius? Don’t lie to me and say nothing, cause I know better. You have gone through four House Elves in the past two weeks without any explanation as to why. Now you want two unicorns. Not any unicorns, but two of the largest and healthiest ones we have.”

Macnair stepped closer to Lucius and lowered his voice so it was barely above a whisper. “My Mark has been burning during the same time period. I am guessing yours has too. What do you know, Lucius?”

“I know there are times when it is best not to say anything or act like anything is out of the ordinary. Certainly, you have learned the same lesson over the years. You have been well paid for you services. If there is anything else that I need from you, I shall contact you.”

Macnair stepped back and stared at Lucius for several seconds before speaking. “Aye, I have been paid for silence, and silence is what you will get from me. Don’t leave me on the sideline Lucius, too long have I groveled and held my tongue while the unworthy have taken up better positions in the Ministry than me. Too bloody long, it has been.”

Macnair turned to walk away but stopped. He reached in the pocket of his battered robes. He pulled out three books. They looked to be Muggle books, because their covers were simple parchment type material.

“I found James Bond for you. He is a fictional Muggle character; here you can read about him.” Macnair tossed the books at Lucius’s feet. “There is something else you should know. Harry Potter is back in England. He is marrying Arthur Weasley’s daughter in five days. That Blood Traitor has taken time off from his job and reserved a person from the magical bonds department to conduct the ceremony. The bugger of it is, Potter and Weasley’s daughter are already considered married by magical law. They soul bonded two years ago.”

“Why is that of importance to me?” questioned Lucius.

“I thought you would like to know that the ceremony will be at Weasley’s home. It would be the first time we would know exactly where that Potter brat was.”

Macnair didn’t wait for an answer or comment from Lucius. He walked away and disappeared when he stepped through Lucius’ wards.

Over the next thirty minutes, Lucius Levitated the cages down to the lower levels of his manor. He didn’t have a basement in his home. He had an actual dungeon with steel doors with bars on cells. The only light was from the small windows in the cells and the pitch torches, which left oily smudges on the low ceiling. In a dark and dank corner of an area, that could be used for anything from an office to a torture and interrogation area, laid a small shriveled up creature.

It would be too much to call it human, though it was the physical manifestation of his master, Lord Voldemort. It had four short and twisted limbs. The skin was scaly and discolored as opposed to being smooth and pink like a child’s. It was reptilian in appearance. The head had a skull of a human, but its face was flat like a snake’s. The limbs that might be called legs were not at the end of it’s so called torso. They were located several inches up from the end.

If its appearance was disgusting, the sight of it being live borne from a snake was even worse. Lucius remained a faithful servant this entire time even if he had been repulsed by what he saw. If everything goes well, when the Dark Lord returned to his former glory, Lucius shall be rewarded.

“I see you have the unicorns, Lucius,” hissed his master. “I will need to be fed soon. Nagini has gone off to find food. When she returns, you can milk her and extract some unicorn blood to feed me. It must be an even mixture of both.”

“Yes, master,” mumbled Lucius. “Master, will Nagini be feeding on the sheep I bought?”

“Yes, she won’t eat anymore of your House Elves. I guess those creatures are too valuable for my pet to eat.”

“People are starting to wonder what I am doing that I need so many House Elves in such a short time.”

“Fine Lucius, I will ensure Nagini doesn’t eat any more of your House Elves. Is something else bothering you, Lucius?”

Lucius hesitated before speaking. He wasn’t sure how his master would react to the news.

“Do not make me wait. I may not be strong now, but soon I shall have my former glory back, and I will not forget,” hissed the twisted person.

“People are noticing your return, master. They are starting to ask questions.”

“Good, very good, what have you told them?”

“I haven’t said anything. You said you didn’t want anyone to know you are here,” replied Lucius.

“You are correct. I want to be returned to my former glory before anyone else sees me. Everything is falling into place. Soon I will be able to finish what we started over twenty years ago. Soon Lucius, very soon I will return to you more powerful than you ever realized possible.

“I need two things before I can rise again,” stated Voldemort. “I need my wand and I need Harry Potter to complete everything.”

Lucius stared at his master’s shriveled form. He wasn’t sure he could find the wand, but he was positive that he could locate Potter. He only needed to get about ten to fifteen associates to carry out the plot.

“I happen to know where Potter will be in five days, master.”

“Excellent, then we must move forward rapidly.”

The little creature seemed to laugh with joy, but it was so deformed, that its appearance was rather disturbing to behold.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry pulled at the sleeves of his dress robes. He was all dressed up and had to wait for another hour and a half until he could see Ginny again. They are trying to treat this like a traditional wedding, with him not seeing her before she walked down the aisle. Ginny had insisted on the condition, because she didn’t want him to see her gown before the ceremony.

Realizing that he wasn’t going to get his sleeves to feel any better, Harry ran his hands through hair.

“Bloody Hell, Harry, you remind me of your father on his wedding day,” groaned Sirius.

“He had an excuse. Unlike you, he hadn’t been living with Lily for two years before marrying her,” said Remus with a teasing look in his eyes.

“It isn’t Ginny that is making me nervous. It’s her parents. I don’t think her Mum has forgiven me for suggesting House Elves cook the food for the wedding.”

“That will take some time Harry,” said Bill. “Didn’t Ginny tell you not to offer to pay for everything?”

“Yes, she did. I couldn’t help myself,” pleaded Harry. “Why should they struggle to pay for the wedding when I have more than enough money to pay for it?”

“Because it is their daughter and they have wanted to do this since she was born,” explained Bill. “You will understand when you and Ginny have children.”

Harry heart thudded and he felt light-headed at Bill’s statement. “Children?” squeaked Harry. He stared at Sirius and Remus as they nearly doubled over in laughter.

“You should have seen the look on your face, Harry,” choked out Sirius.

“I thought your eyes were going to pop out of your head,” laughed Remus.

“Aren't you planning on having a family, Harry?” questioned Bill. “If you are not, don’t tell Mum she will try to split you two up again.”

“Yeah, we plan on having a family. Well after everything has been taken care of,” said Harry. His words sort of faded out as he spoke. He didn’t want to leave any orphans in this world. If Voldemort killed him, then Ginny would soon die, leaving their children orphans.

He looked at Bill and thought about the Weasleys. Certainly they would care for and love his children. He couldn’t see them treating their grandchildren like he was treated at the Dursleys'. He searched to find something to stop him thinking about having a family. He wasn’t ready. He wouldn’t be turning thirteen until the end of the month. Ginny and he would have years together as soon as they stopped Voldemort.

“Are the wards working properly,” he asked Bill to change the subject away from families and children.

Bill smiled at him. He had a warm and friendly smile much like Ginny’s. “Yeah, they are working great. No one will be able to see the Burrow or any of us, until they pass through the wards. They will only be able to do that with the Headmaster’s help. I also used a couple of tricks I learned in Egypt. No one will be able to break them, unless they are familiar with hieroglyphics.”

“Hieroglyphics?” questioned Remus.

“Yes, I used hieroglyphics in the construction of the wards spells. It is rather tricky, but makes it damn near impossible to override, unless you have studied them.”

“Do you mix them with runes,” asked the studious Remus Lupin.

“I used them at some point of the construct…,” Bill stopped talking and turned towards the Burrow.

Everyone in their group turned towards the house at the same time. Mrs. Weasley’s voice echoed out of the strange building. “Ronald Bilius Weasley you get upstairs and get ready. Do you understand me?”

As her voice echoed around the large garden, the remaining Weasley boys ran out of the kitchen door like rats abandoning a sinking ship. Fred and George were the first followed quickly by Charlie. Percy was the last to escape the yelling inside of the house. Fred saw Harry and company and turned the column of retreating Weasleys towards them.

“What did little Ronnie do this time?” shouted Bill.

“Nothing,” replied Fred.

“He must have done something,” replied Bill. “Mum doesn’t shout like that over nothing.”

“She does when she wanted something done,” said George, as he walked slowly towards them.

“Can I please get the entire story, instead of trying to get it out those prats,” Bill said to Charlie and
Percy. The twins stuck out their tongues at Bill in response to his comment about them.

“Ron doesn’t want to get dressed. He is just sitting in the kitchen pouting,” said Charlie. He smiled at Sirius. “I think, he is still upset over keeping Scabbers all these years. You must admit it must have been quite a shock finding out your pet rat was actually a person, and he was running around under your robes.”

Harry smiled at the memory of capturing Peter Pettigrew.

Platform nine and three-quarters was an amazing bit of magic Harry thought, as he stared at the train platform hidden from Muggles. He had just walked through a brick wall in a Muggle train station to find himself standing on a full-sized train platform. They were there waiting for Ginny’s older brothers.

It was a magnificent place. He almost felt sorry that he didn’t attend Hogwarts because he missed the experience of catching the train. He remembered Sirius and Remus telling him how they met his father on their first train ride. They were fast friends from that day until his death.

The morbid thought made Harry slightly somber. He wanted to be happy, but the thought of his parents’ death prevented that.

He tried to focus on something else. So he stared down the tracks to see if the shiny crimson steam locomotive was getting ready to reenter the train station. He had heard so much about it from Sirius, Remus, Bill, and even Ginny. She never rode the train, but she used to come here to retrieve her brothers or send them off to school.

As he watched for the train, families kept appearing at the station. They were Apparating onto the platform or passing through the brick entrance. It did not take long for the platform to fill up with families.

He was there with Ginny’s parents. Sirius, Remus, Bill and Ginny were there too. They made a large group right in the middle of the platform. No one seemed to mind them, as people jostled for position, to either see the train coming or find their child after they get off the train.

“The train is coming,” shouted someone close to the tracks.

Its whistle blasted its imminent arrival. The building seemed to pulse with the thrum of its steam engines. It was an exciting and exhilarating experience. Harry only seemed to travel by Apparation or Portkey anymore. The idea of the slow paced travel of the train seemed exciting to him.

He felt Ginny budging up past him to get a look at the windows of the passing train cars. He saw her excited expression. He wondered to himself if she regretted not riding the train and going to Hogwarts.

“No, I don’t,” she said smiling at him.

“I keep forgetting you can do that,” he tried saying quietly above the noise of the platform. Whether Ginny heard he couldn’t be sure, but she smiled knowingly at him.

With a final blast of steam, the train stopped moving and students erupted from the doors of the cars. The first ones out of the doors quickly found their families and disappeared. The rest were taking their time. Percy was walking around looking official and trying to help students who looked lost or confused. The rest of the Weasleys had not appeared yet. The crowd was starting to thin out around them.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were anxiously staring at the train trying to find their other three children. Fred, George, and Ron finally emerged from the train along with about seven Gryffindors. They all seemed to be laughing about something. George led them over towards Harry and company while dragging their trunks behind them. They were twenty feet away when Mrs. Weasley broke and ran to them. She gave Ron, Fred and, George massive bone-crushing hugs. Fred and George tried to make a joke out being hugged by their Mum in public, but Ron looked mortified.

Harry could feel Ginny laughing to herself beside him. When he looked at her she nodded her head towards Ron and rolled her eyes. Her brother was drawing more attention by his reaction to his mum hugging him than what the hug drew. Nearly all the other students were being hugged and greeted by their parents in similar fashion.

“Ah, come on Ron, hug your Mum again,” teased Sirius. He let out one of his loud unique barking laughs.

Ron’s face twisted up in confusion for a second, before he started grabbing at his robes.

“Scabbers, what are you doing,” Ron shouted as he twisted and grabbed at something moving in his robes.

“Wow that moldy old rat actually is moving,” shouted Fred.

Ron kept twisting and trying to grab at the rat as it tried to escape his robes. He did manage to grab it, but it bit him and he dropped it. It fell onto the platform at Ron’s feet. Everything seemed to freeze for a second as the rat seemed to stare at Harry with fear, but then all hell broke loose.

“Wormtail,” shouted Remus and Sirius together. The rat squeaked and ran away from them. Suddenly there was a large black dog chasing the rat through the crowded platform with Remus following behind with his wand at the ready.

Harry was stunned for a second by what was happening. Once it registered with him that his parents’ betrayer had been discovered, he took off running after the three of them. He heard screams and shouts as Peter Pettigrew in the form of a rat, Wormtail, ran away from his former friend Sirius Black in his Animagus form of a black dog. To an observer it may even have appeared to be funny, but to Harry this was an opportunity to close a chapter of his life. After Sirius had been released from Azkaban, no one had been able to find Peter Pettigrew. Here he had been living as his Animagus form with the Weasleys.

The chase lasted only about a minute, but it seemed longer and drew the attention of the security. They wanted to know what was going on, but Harry and Remus were too busy to tell them. It all ended as quickly as it started. A young witch screamed and kicked Wormtail when he got close to her. He flew up in the air and Padfoot snatched him out of the air with his jaws.

With a wave of his wand, Remus turned Wormtail back into Peter Pettigrew. He also turned Padfoot back into Sirius. It was quite comical to see Sirius biting Peter’s side before he dropped him. Barely containing his smile, Remus turned to the security wizard on duty.

“I give you Peter Pettigrew. The Death Eater who betrayed James and Lily Potter,” he said with great satisfaction.

Peter looked up and stared gaped mouthed at Harry. Ginny had caught up to him and was standing right beside him.

“James, Lily?” Peter asked in disbelief.

“No, they are dead thanks to you,” growled Harry.

“Please, you don’t know…,” pleaded Peter, but he stopped talking when Sirius punched him in the jaw.

“That doesn’t come close to what you deserve,” said Sirius rubbing his hand. “But I leave the rest up to the Dementors of Azkaban.”


Percy apologizing for first taking Scabbers into the house snapped Harry out of his thoughts of the capture.

“I would like to apologize for keeping him too,” said Percy. “If I had known that he was a criminal hiding from Aurors, you could have been released from Azkaban earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it Percy,” said Sirius with half a laugh. “You didn’t know who it was. He was an unregistered Animagus.”

“Yes, that is why we have laws governing such things,” said Percy pompously. Fred and George rolled their eyes behind Percy’s back.

“I thought the laws were so you have something to do in the evenings, since you don’t have a personal life, Perce,” teased George.

Everyone laughed at George’s comment. Percy looked around at all the smiling faces and looked greatly affronted. Clearing his throat, he announced to everyone around him. “I am going to attend to my duties as an usher. Would anyone like to join me?”

“Go ahead, Perce, I’ll catch up in a jiffy,” said Charlie with a large smile on his face.

“If he didn’t have the Weasley hair and freckles, I would swear he wasn’t one of us,” laughed Charlie, after Percy had walked out of hearing range.

“Are you two always that mean to him?” asked Remus.

“We aren’t being mean…,” said Fred.

“We are just pointing out the obvious,” finished George.

“Talk about pointing out the obvious, look Mr. Happyface is coming our way,” laughed Fred.

Ron Weasley looked like he didn’t have a friend in the world. He was walking towards Harry with his hands buried deep in his pockets. His dress robes looked like they came from a museum. They were old, moldy, and covered with yellowing lace. He would take a few steps before kicking a stone along the way. It wasn’t long before he had come close enough to see everyone was staring at him.

He met everyone’s eyes then dropped his head and slouched even more. He mumbled something that Harry couldn’t understand, as he kicked at the ground. Ron looked like he didn’t know whether to cry or wind his watch. Harry felt for the boy. He remembered living through similar situations a few years ago. When Harry was made to feel useless by the Dursleys and everything he did was wrong. Ron was feeling the same way.

However, Ron’s brothers weren’t so easy going. They let him have it. It started out with his lovely dress robes. It turned to his overall appearance. He was slouching so much; that eventually his head would be down between his knees and he would have to walk backwards to see where he was going. He needed to lighten up and smile once in a while.

“You put these on and try to look bloody happy,” shouted Ron as he tugged at the ancient robes.

“Ron,” Harry said, but he stopped and looked at Bill. He wanted to buy Ron robes to wear today, but he didn’t want to offend him like he did his parents.

“What is it,” he answered meekly.

Bill seemed to know what he wanted and nodded his approval. “I would like to buy you new robes for today,” said Harry.

Ron’s expression brightened immediately, but then went glum again.

“You can’t bloody well do that with the wedding going on, now can ya’,” replied Ron grumpily.

“Dobby!” said Harry slightly louder than normal speech.

There was a loud crack and Dobby appeared in his latest wardrobe choice; small cowboy boots, with spurs, leather chaps, a pair of Bermuda shorts, a leather vest and a large ten gallon cowboy hat.

Nearly everyone else snorted with humor at seeing the strangely dressed House Elf. Harry was just glad Dobby listened to him and covered the speedo he had on yesterday with the Bermuda shorts.

“Dobby, I need you to go to Diagon Alley and get Ron new robes,” ordered Harry.

Harry had barely finished giving the command when Dobby started measuring Ron. He was walking around on Ron’s shoulders and making all types of measurements, while Ron was looking increasingly annoyed by Dobby’s actions. He opened his mouth to say something, but Dobby just disappeared off his back.

“Where did the little bugger go?” asked Ron, while twisting and turning to see his back.

“He went to Diagon Alley to get you a set of robes,” said Harry.

“Is he always so … so…,” stammered Ron.

“Yes,” said Bill, Harry, Sirius, and Remus in unison.

“He means well, but he’s way too enthusiastic,” explained Harry.

“I see Dad waving for us to go over and help usher people in,” said Charlie to the rest of the redheads in the group.

“I need to stay and wait for my new robes,” said Ron happily.

With a pop someone appeared to Ron’s left. It was Dobby carrying an armful of clothes all bundled together with string.

“I’s got your clothes, Wheezy,” said the excited little House Elf. He nodded his head so violently that his long pointy ears bounced up and down.

“I’ll take them to my room and change…,”

Ron never finished what he was saying because Dobby had grabbed his hand and Apparated him away. Harry supposed it was to his bedroom. Charlie, Fred, and George were all still standing there with their mouths open when Dobby and Ron disappeared.

“He is one excited little bugger,” said Sirius.

Everyone laughed at his comment. Charlie, Fred, and George asked Bill if he was helping with escorting guests to the marquee. He wanted to stay with Harry to help him meet members of the family. The small group hadn’t made it thirty feet, before Dobby appeared with Ron and his new dress robes.

Ron was beaming with an ear to ear smile. It was the first time Harry had ever seen him smiling like that. The robes were basic dress robes, but they were new and fit him.

“Thank you Mr. Potter,” said Ron.

“Mr. Potter?” questioned Harry. They were the same age even though they looked years apart. “Are you going to call your sister, Mrs. Potter?”

Ron looked shocked at the comment. Evidently, He never thought about Ginny becoming Mrs. Harry Potter before. “I — I guess I will have to call her that,” stammered Ron.

“No you won’t,” replied Harry forcefully. “We are just Harry and Ginny to you and the rest of your brothers.”

“Really,” asked Ron. “Cool.”

Ron walked off towards the entrance of the wards. He seemed to be walking a little straighter and had a bounce to his step.

“Thank you, Harry,” said Bill into Harry’s ear. “I am guessing that Mum and Dad couldn’t afford anything better for Ron. Being the oldest, I didn’t have to deal with so many second-hand and make do items. I think Ron might resent me for being older than him.”

“I can relate to only getting things that no one else wants,” said Harry sadly. The years at the Dursleys' were still vivid memories. Harry can understand why Ron felt so bad about the robes his parents had picked out. It was like him wearing Dudley’s hand me downs, even if they were several sizes too big.

“Oh Merlin, prepare yourself, Harry,” whispered Bill.

Harry looked at Arthur walking towards him with a grim look on his face. He was escorting some shriveled up woman who was hunched over. Even though the old woman looked so frail that she might break at anytime. Arthur’s posture indicated he was afraid of the woman.

“That’s my Aunt Muriel,” said Bill.

Harry heard stories about the miserable tightwad from Ginny. This hunched over little old lady could cast fear over all the male population in the Weasley family. Harry couldn’t see it. She actually looked like some sweet little grandmother.

“If she starts on you, don’t defend yourself, Harry,” said Bill. “It will only make it much worse. Once she has her anger up, it takes days for her to start being nice to anyone again.”

“Well that certainly sounds promising,” quipped Harry. Sirius and Remus also laughed. Harry had just realized that he spoke too loud, and Muriel was glaring at him.

“So this is the man that is marrying your eleven year old daughter?” the wizened old woman asked Arthur.

“Yes Aunt…,” responded Arthur.

“Well it is just wrong no eleven year old needs to get married anymore. She certainly isn’t with child is she?”

“No she…,” Arthur started to respond.

“What did you do, sell her to him? Are you really that desperate to get money…,”

“I certainly did not sell Ginny,” yelled Arthur cutting off Aunt Muriel. “If you would listen to what other people are telling you, you would know that Harry and Ginny are actually soul bonded. They are already married in the eyes of the Ministry. I had nothing to do with their bonding.”

“You can’t even control your own family, some father you are,” Muriel shot back at him.

They had reached Harry by this time. Arthur looked like he wanted to take Muriel on a broom and see if she could fly when shoved off a broom at 5000 feet above the ground.

“Harry,” said Arthur tightly. “This is Ginny’s great Aunt Muriel.

“Pleased to meet you,” Harry said as he took a slight bow.

“Are you really?” asked Muriel.

“I am pleased to get it out of the way,” he replied.

“You probably think I am some bitter older woman that isn’t happy with anything,” said Muriel while staring at Harry. He didn’t turn away from her gaze. “Well, I am. You would be too, if your spouse died and left you alone for nearly thirty years. I am a faithful wife. Thirty years is a long lonely time. Don’t leave Ginny like that.” She shouted the last line.

Harry stared at the wizened old woman in front of him. He didn’t want to think about what she just said. Any image of Aunt Muriel intimate with a man, was disturbing enough, he didn’t want to linger on the thoughts. Her message of leaving Ginny was wasted. If he ever died, so would Ginny within days or weeks.

“I promise you, I won’t leave her alone for thirty years,” replied Harry sadly. He couldn’t because his death would mean hers.

“Good,” she said to Harry with something of a smile.

“Arthur, take me to the loo,” she ordered Mr. Weasley. “My stewed prunes are starting to work.”

Everyone stayed silent until Muriel was out of earshot. Bill broke the silence. “Just think Harry that could be Ginny in about sixty years.”

He laughed at Bill’s comment. “That’s certainly something to look forward to.”

“Oh, this should be interesting,” said Sirius. He looked towards the group walking with Percy.

Percy was leading the way. One step behind him was an old wizard who looked as if he was having a difficult time walking. His face seemed disfigured and he walked with a large staff. With them was a tall black wizard with a gold earring and a shaved head. The last person was a young witch with mousy brown hair. The three guests were dressed in similar robes, and had an official look about them.

“Who are they?” he asked Sirius.

“Alastor Moody, who is also known as Mad-Eye Moody, an Auror I don’t know, and my cousin,” said Sirius.

Harry didn’t have time to respond, because the group was already at them.

Percy went to say something, but the old scarred wizard pushed past him. His face was terribly disfigured and his one eye appeared to be some type of a magical eye that was held in with a strap of leather. He stepped up and stared at Harry with both eyes.

“So you are Potter are you?” the man questioned Harry from inches away from his face. His actual eye stared at Harry’s eyes while his other eye roamed up and down Harry of its own will.

“Yes, I am Harry Potter. Who are you?”

“Alastor Moody,” he replied with a growl. “You look clean, but you shouldn’t be this old.”

“I am only twelve. It was the soul bond that changed my appearance.”

“Soul bond, I will be keeping my eye on you,” he said. “I understand you want Albus to start the Order back up. Why is that?”

“There are still Death Eaters out there, and I don’t believe Voldemort is gone, just hiding.” He noticed that they all seemed to flinch a little to hearing Voldemort’s name. Alastor Moody smiled at him with a twisted lopsided smile.

“Constant Vigilance,” he said, before hobbling off to talk to Arthur.

“Hi, I am Kingsley Shacklebolt,” the tall bald Auror stepped forward and shook Harry’s hand. “And this is…,”

“Nymphadora,” said Sirius.

The female Auror stepped forward and glared daggers at Sirius. “Call me Tonks! I hate that name.”

“My loving cousin,” Sirius said. “Her mother is the only family member I get along with.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Harry said extending his hand to her. Her expression softened as she turned to him.

“Pleased to meet you to, but we should be moving along. It looks like you have other guests arriving,” she said looking over her shoulder.

Harry looked up and stared at all the people coming through wards. There were several Professors and more students who were talking eagerly to the Weasley boys. They were all coming towards him. He knew he would have to greet them all to be social, but he never realized how many hands he would have to shake.

“Well, Harry good luck. I am going to go and see how your lovely bride is doing,” laughed Sirius, as he clapped his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny smiled as she stared out her bedroom window. Harry always preferred small groups of people. She could tell his nervousness at having to greet so many strangers. He was doing his best to suppress his desire to take a bunk, for her sake. It was another thing that she loved about him.

This day was for her, it was all that she ever wanted growing up. Even though she always dreamed about marrying Harry Potter, she never truly thought it would happen. She grew up as the youngest child of a poor blood traitor family. She had been so teased when she was younger that they let her hair grow so people would know she was actually a girl.

The soul bond changed everything. If she didn’t still look so much like Bill then she would have believed that the magic of the bond had changed her true appearance.

“Ginny dear,” said her mother gently. “Let’s take a look at you.”

Ginny turned to look at her mum. She had just placed the tiara, which was borrowed from Aunt Muriel, on her head as her Mum attached the veil to the back of her long hair.

Her Mum started to cry when she saw Ginny. She had been dry eyed all morning, but now she decided to turn into a human hosepipe. She opened her arms to give Ginny one of her bone-crushing hugs.

“Molly control yourself. You will mess up her dress,” shouted Aunt Muriel. She had come upstairs with the tiara and wanted to see it on Ginny. The acerbic old woman looked at Ginny with a watery smile. “You look beautiful my dear. I know you are actually young, and in all my years I have never heard of magic doing what that soul bond did, but don’t forget to make that handsome husband of yours happy.”

Ginny blushed furiously at what her great Aunt had implied. It had been a delicate subject with them over the past two years. It wasn’t for a lack of desire on her part, but the strange situation of maturing faster than their years. They both were still not yet teenagers by years, even though many people would never believe it to meet them. When they were alone together or with their guardians, they both allowed themselves time to be children.

“Two things,” snapped Aunt Muriel, as she held up two boney fingers. “First, don’t blush like that. I can’t tell where your hair begins and your skin ends. Second, I am assuming you have waited until this ceremony to consummate this bond.”

“Aunt Muriel,” shouted her Mum. “There is no need to talk about that with Ginny. She is still actually eleven.”

“Aye she is, but she has a body of a twenty year-old, and her husband is also quite fit. So, it is a subject that needs to be talked about, so shush now. Well, my dear are you ready. I may not know about soul bonds, but I do know the regular bonds are strengthened when you consummate the marriage bond. Certainly you want to….”

“Yes, I do. We both do, but we are not ready yet.”

“Are you telling me that virile groom would be willing to wait?” questioned Aunt Muriel.

“Yes, I am positive. We will both know when the time is right,” she half explained to her Aunt. She couldn’t go into details of how she knows that Harry will wait. It would be revealing more about their magical bond than she cared to do at this time. There was also the subject of the prophecy and the complications if they had children.

“Well I must say you got yourself quite the catch,” said Aunt Muriel as she stood up. “I am happy for you, and I want the tiara back tomorrow, since you won’t be busy tonight.”

Ginny couldn’t help herself, she again blushed at her Aunt Muriel’s comment.

“Please dear stop blushing, it clashes terribly with your hair. I should get down to the marquee. It will take me a while as old as I am.”

Ginny smiled at her Aunt. She was more of a character than she ever imagined. A feeling washed over Ginny. She did not feel it before, because of the topic of conversation, but a nervous person was standing outside of her door, on the landing.

She pulled her wand and stared at the door with a hardened expression, waiting to see who was there. Her Mum and Aunt both stared at her sudden change, and went to say something until the person knocked on her bedroom door.

“Who is it?” She asked the person outside the door. Her senses were becoming keener now that she wasn’t thinking about her and Harry’s wedding day. She relaxed as she sensed Sirius outside the door.

“It’s just Sirius, Ginny. I just wanted to talk to you.”

“Men aren’t supposed to be here. This is women’s time,” shouted Aunt Muriel.

Ginny could sense his nervousness increasing. “Its fine Aunt Muriel, you may enter.”

“Your groom may be out there,” spat her Aunt.

“He isn’t. It is only Sirius.”

Her Aunt stared at her for a second. “Evidently, you haven’t told me everything about you that have changed. Very well, keep your Aunt in the dark, your generation shows no respect to us elders.”

Ginny couldn’t help but smile at her Aunt. In the past five minutes her relationship had changed forever, with Aunt Muriel.

Sirius opened the door and held it open as Aunt Muriel hobbled out. He stood there holding the door open as he stared at her, in her wedding gown.

“Sirius, close the door,” ordered her Mum.

“Yeah so sorry,” he apologized, before closing the door. “Ginny, I just wanted to tell you. Thank you, for making Harry happy. He is down there nervous as his father was when he got bonded to Lily. I never thought I would ever see two people more perfect for each other than them. Then you two met, bonded, and well you two are more perfect for each other. Having you there for Harry as he faces the future makes me feel better about the possibility of him winning, of all of us winning.”

Sirius stopped and stared at her then his feet. Ginny had never seen this man tongue tied or nervous before.

“Thank you, I appreciate all that you have done for us, too,” she told him. “You know there is probably a woman out there that would be perfect for you.”

Sirius’ attitude changed dramatically. He let out a loud barking laugh and smiled at her. “The problem, Ginny, is there are many woman out there that are perfect for me.”

“Hmmp, I don’t understand you at times Sirius Black,” complained her Mum.

Ginny laughed at the two of them. “Sirius, can you find Luna Lovegood and have her come up here?”

“I will track her down and send her up,” he replied with an exaggerated bow, before leaving the room.

“I don’t understand that man, and why do you keep someone like that around.” Her Mum continued to complain.

“Because he is loyal to me and Harry, and we can trust him with our lives.”

Her response silenced her Mum’s complaints. Ginny turned back around and looked out at the marquee in the back garden. It was white with flowers woven up and over the entrance. People were quickly filling up the chairs inside of it. She could see that some of her brothers had already abandoned their ushering duties and were sitting with their friends.

Everything looked perfect, the weather even cooperated. It was sunny but cool. Everything seemed to be running on time. She reached out with her empathy to find Harry, and see how he was feeling. She felt nervous anticipation. She wondered if his anticipation was for the wedding or for tonight. Aunt Muriel had her thinking about things that they hadn’t considered talking about for some time. She smiled as she could almost hear Harry repeat to himself. “Please don’t mess this up for Ginny. Please don’t mess this up for Ginny.”

There was a knock at the door.

“Hello pumpkin, look who I found,” her Father said, as he stepped through the door leading Luna Lovegood.

It was strange having a maid-of-honor that you haven’t seen in two years and looked as if she could be your child, but that is Ginny’s life now. She picked Luna, because they had met and played together several times when they were younger. Luna even stayed with her family after her mother died from one of her experiments.

“Don’t you look lovely,” said her dreamy eyed friend.

“Yes, you certainly do,” her Father said with a watery smile.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“You have the rings?”

“Yes Harry, for the fifth time in the last ten minutes, I have the rings,” responded Sirius with a groan. “I am sure the wards are still working well, but shouldn’t you be asking Bill about that soon. It has been at least sixty seconds.”

“I want this to be perfect for her,” he hissed under his breath. They were getting ready to move to the front of the marquee. “I stole her from her family. She lost her teenage years because of me. I want to give her everything that she missed, because of me.”

“I thought it took two to make a soul bond,” he replied calmly. “Evidently you have given her everything she wanted out of life already. The only thing that could possibly mess this day up is if you freak out because it isn’t perfect enough.”

Harry stared at Sirius for a second. He realized that his godfather was right. Ginny chose him as much as he chose her. They had a bond that hasn’t happened for seventeen hundred years. They must be doing something right.

“Hey, Harry, get moving,” whispered Bill. “Time to go to the front; the wards are just fine and everyone is through them.”

Sirius laughed at Bills comment. Harry wasn’t nervous anymore. He had said that this was all for Ginny, but he had always wanted a wedding very similar to this one. It didn’t matter to him that they had already bonded, or it was also a way of getting the Order of Phoenix reorganized. It was his public admission to how much he loved Ginevra Molly Weasley Potter.

He walked to the front of the marquee. The Ministry official was already standing there. He gave Harry an appraising look. There was someone playing an organ to some traditional tune, but Harry barely even noticed. He didn’t even care that everyone was staring at him. He was waiting on Ginny.

A small girl with long blonde-hair and large blue eyes stepped into the aisle. She was wearing a butter yellow dress. Harry vaguely remembered the conversation about how yellow was lucky at weddings.

Everyone turned, but Harry barely registered it, because Ginny was walking down the aisle on her father’s arm. She was so radiantly beautiful, that it took his breath away. He wasn’t nervous about messing anything up now. It didn’t matter. He was bonded to the most beautiful woman in the world.

She blushed slightly and smiled warmly at him. He realized that she just read his thoughts. It slightly annoyed him that she could read his mind, but he couldn’t read hers. However, if he can’t trust her with all his secrets, than whom could he trust? She looked at him with tears in her eyes. She heard what he thought. He had never admitted it or even thought it before, but it was true. He trusted her above everyone else in the world; he just hoped she also trusted him.

Harry sensed a wave of magic surge through the marquee. To everyone else it probably felt like a strong breeze, but he knew it wasn’t. They must have reached another level of being bonded. Ginny had finally walked up the aisle to reach him. He shook Arthur’s hand and took Ginny’s.

The presiding official started talking about how this was an extraordinary event. Harry thought it was an appropriate way of starting the ceremony, because Ginny was an extraordinary woman. He realized that he didn’t even think about her as a girl anymore. She was truly the most extraordinary woman in the world, and he was her husband.

The official was talking about their soul bond and how rare it was. Even though they were already magically bonded they wanted to have this ceremony to profess their love for each other in front of family and friends. Harry was getting nervous about talking. It broke his trance on Ginny’s beautiful face and her soft loving brown eyes.

If it had only been one, he may not have noticed it with everything else going on. There had been twenty or more distinct pops of Apparation. They were all outside of the Burrows wards. Everyone was here that was invited. These were uninvited guests. His thoughts left the ceremony and concentrated on the magical signatures that were coming from outside of the wards. They were trying to break through the wards.

“Harry, your vows,” whispered Sirius.

Harry heard him, but barely registered his words. Ginny was tugging on his hands. Her face was pale and she had fear in her eyes. “I sense them too. Harry, they have come to harm us.”

Ginny didn’t shout the sentence, but everyone heard it. People were looking on with strange expressions. Sirius, Remus, and Bill though reacted to it.

“What is going on,” demanded Sirius.

“Twenty people just Apparated on the other side of the wards,” said Harry.

“They are here to harm us,” added Ginny.

“Death Eaters?” asked Remus. A panic swept through the tent at his question.

“What’s this about Death Eaters?” shouted Alastor Moody.

Harry could see why they called him Mad-eye. His Magical eye was swirling around in the socket looking in all directions. He suddenly stiffened.

“Bloody Hell it is an army of them, they are outside of the wards, and they are Disillusioned. How did you…?”

“It doesn’t matter,” shouted Harry. He was furious that they would attack at his wedding. “Bill…?”

“No one can get through the wards. We will be safe in here,” Bill responded to his unasked question.

“I say we attack the ruddy bastards,” shouted Moody.

“We will do no such thing. We have the children to think of. We can’t start a war right now and have the children harmed,” screamed his mother-in-law.

“I agree with Molly,” said Albus Dumbldore. “We must think of the children.”

“We can take them, Albus. If we catch them by surprise we have enough talent here to take them,” argued Moody.

“Harry what do you think?” asked Albus Dumbledore.

Everyone turned and looked at him. “I would like to set some type of a trap for them for ruining this day, but I don’t want any of you harmed, even the adults.”

Albus smiled at Harry’s comment.

“Wait, I have a plan,” said Sirius grabbing Harry’s shoulder.

“Where are the Death Eaters now?”

Harry, Ginny, and Mad-eye all pointed towards the Burrow. “They are on the other side of it, moving to our left,” answered Harry.

“Bill, can you place a weak spot in the wards about there?” asked Sirius pointing at a spot away from Burrow.

“It might take a few minutes, why?” answered Bill.

“If we can let them enter there, we can set a trap for them,” said a smiling Sirius.

“I will not stand by and have the children harmed,” shouted Mrs. Weasley. “Professor Dumbledore say something.”

“What is your plan?” asked the Headmaster.

Sirius smiled as everyone stared at him. He turned to his fellow Marauder. “Remember what we did to Snivellus, when James promised Lily we wouldn’t curse him, unnecessarily?”

Remus looked at Sirius, and then looked around him and at the spot that Sirius had indicated. He smiled at his fellow Marauder. “It would be a much larger scale then we ever did before, but I think it would work. What will you do with the children?”

“We could put them in the Burrow,” said Sirius.

“Would you two tell us this brilliant plan, so we can decide if it is worthwhile or total codswallop,” demanded Moody.

Sirius smiled at everyone. “Certainly…”

Back to index


Chapter 8: Darkness Approaches

Author's Notes: The Order of Phoenix set a trap for the Death Eaters. Even though everything went well there was still something unexpected happen. No one realized what was wrong except for Ginny.
I should update everyone on the timeline. I keep tossing ages and years around without writing the dates. Harry and Ginny bonded on July 31, 1991, since that was the day Hagrid took Harry to Diagon Alley.
They matured over night and went into hiding from everyone the next day August 1, 1991. They returned almost two years later, June 1993. They took their OWL's, picked went to Platform nine and three-quarters to pick up Ron, and discovered Wormtail in the month of June. They are getting married early July 1993.


The Floo flashed green at the same time as another person knocked on the door of Lucius’ manor house. He watched Goyle step out of the Floo, while cleaning ash off his black hooded cloak. Severus Snape entered from the foyer. Almost all of the Dark Lord's most trusted followers not in Azkaban were here. Lucius was not foolish enough to believe they came here because he asked them, or that they were here to drink his wine and eat his food. They were here because they would all get a chance to avenge the Dark Lord by destroying Harry Potter.

They would not get the opportunity to kill Potter. The Dark Lord wanted him alive. How he planned to use Potter didn’t matter to Lucius. What mattered was him supplying his master with everything he needed. Potter wasn’t the problem. His master’s wand had needed to be found, and he had not known how to locate it.

Knowing the Dark Lord met his demise at the Potters’ in Godric’s Hollow, he went there first. To his amazement, the wand was lying in a tangle of weeds. How could the wand of the most powerful wizard in the world lay unnoticed for eleven years? The task he feared that he would not complete was over. The Dark Lord was pleased when presented with his long lost wand. The wand even shot out red sparks when it touched his master’s deformed hand.

It was time for Lucius to complete his master’s second command. He needed to bring him Harry Potter.

Everyone was here except one person. It just happened to be the most important person. Judson constructed Wards for the Ministry. He could take down any protective Ward except for the Wards at Hogwarts. Those were not cast with Ministry approved spells. If everything goes well, they would be inside the wards and have Potter before anyone would know they were there. When they were done no one would ever realize what hit them, because they would all be dead.

“When are we leaving Lucius?” asked the dull Crabbe.

“Not everyone is here. It also isn’t time to leave. The ceremony isn’t to begin until three o’clock. It is only fifty past two.”

“Shouldn’t we get there early?” Crabbe asked.

Lucius resisted the urge to make a biting quip at Crabbe. He chose to try to ignore the stupid question and try to answer in an almost civil manner. “We are not going there to get a seat. We will wait until the bonding is well on its way and we will break through the Wards and capture Potter. Everyone else at the wedding must die. We cannot leave anyone that could be a witness.”

“I thought you said we are going to destroy Potter,” asked Fenrir Greyback.

“We will, but first I must extract information from him.” Lucius drawled. “Then you can have him for your fun.”

“What type of information?” asked Severus Snape.

Lucius looked at all the Death Eaters staring at him. “I believe he can lead us to our Master.”

“How?” asked several members. Severus did not speak but stared at him with those cold black eyes.

“Only that Potter brat knows what happened that night,” stated Lucius forcefully. “I will extract it from him.”

“That could leave him as useless, a moldy turnip,” stated Macnair.

“Some sacrifices must be made, to return the Dark Lord to us,” laughed Lucius.

The Carrows made their usual guffawing sounds of laughter at his comment. He carefully watched everyone’s reactions. He could tell they were impressed by what he said. They all seemed pleased at the overall plan, now he needed Judson to show up.

“How many will be at the wedding?” asked Yaxley.

“Probably all of Arthur Weasley’s brood, Potter, Sirius Black, and Remus Lupin will be there,” Lucius answered. He looked at Severus Snape. “Will any of the Order of the Phoenix be there?”

“Dumbledore disbanded that organization years ago,” he replied coolly.

“Will Dumbledore be there?” Lucius was most concerned about the Headmaster.

“He and Potter are not exactly seeing eye to eye these days.”

“Very good,” said Lucius, as a broad smile appeared on his lips. “We will have no opposition that could possibly match us. This should be very easy.”

“To the Dark Lord,” shouted Amycus Carrow raising his wine glass. Soon everyone else was cheering for the Dark Lord and drinking to him.

Lucius said his obligatory cheer for his fallen Lord. He was starting to get worried. If he doesn’t see Judson soon he will need to find another to break the wards. He looked around the room and was not sure who to ask. There were many powerful wizards and witches, but taking down someone’s Ward was something altogether different.

His large clock chimed three in the foyer. He needed to get his team together, ready, and to the Weasleys' within fifteen minutes. He looked over at Severus Snape. If Judson didn’t appear in two minutes it would be Severus’ responsibility to bring down the wards.

“Severus,” called Lucius to the Head of Slytherin House.

Severus slowly walked towards him. “Yes.”

Lucius became agitated at Snape’s one word response. He didn’t want anyone see how frustrated he was at Severus.

“If Judson doesn’t appear in thirty seconds, you will be responsible for breaking through the wards,” Lucius informed Snape.

“If I can’t break them?” answered Severus in a haughty fashion.

“You will break them or die trying,” whispered Lucius venomously.

Snape stood up a little straighter and glared at him, but their conversation was cut short as the Floo flared to life. Judson stepped out and brushed the soot from his robes.

“It’s about time you arrived. I was about to offer your job to someone else,” snapped Lucius.

“They would never perform it as well as I,” Judson said haughtily. “I am on my lunch break. If we stick to the plan you told me Lucius, we can do this and I can return to the Ministry without raising suspicion.”

Lucius appreciated Judson’s answer. He was thinking like a true Slytherin. He wanted to ensure he could not be implicated in the murders of the Weasleys.

“It is time to leave,” Lucius informed his troops. “Please pick up an Invisibility Cloak on the way out and wait for me outside on the walk.

Lucius watched as each person picked up an Invisibility Cloak. He had purchased them so no one would give away their location by having their Disillusionment Charm fail. After the last cloak was grabbed, Lucius picked up his own Cloak. It had been separated from the others. It was made from a higher quality of fabric.

The Death Eaters were milling around on his front walk. They were all anxious to finish this task.

“Judson, Amycus, Alecto, and I will be in the first group. Everyone else cast a tracing Charm on us before we leave. You will all be able to Apparate to the same spot. Please don’t all Apparate at the same time. We do not need some bloody disaster on our hands when we all try to occupy the same space.

“Remember to wear your Cloaks when you are Apparating. They may be able to see us through the wards. When we get there, we will all remain silent and wait for Judson to break the wards. We will then proceed to walk together in a line to the wedding party. Everyone will have to wait until I Stun Potter, then you may kill — no — you shall kill the others. Do it quickly and we all can return to our predestined locations before anyone realizes what happened.

“Any questions?” Lucius asked the assembled Death Eaters.

“Yeh, can we torture them first?” asked Alecto Carrow.

“No, they must all die quickly. If we linger then the use of all those Unforgivables will trigger alarms in the Ministry.”

“Bloody Hell, you take all the fun out of this,” complained Alecto.

“If we do this correctly, your fun will come,” replied Lucius. “Everyone get ready. We need to leave in one minute.”

Lucius threw the cloak over him and reached out with his hand for Judson. Judson grabbed his hand then Amycus grabbed his and Alecto grabbed her brother's. Lucius could hear the others covering themselves with cloaks and cast the Tracking Charms. It was time. Lucius took a deep breath and turned with great determination.

The sensation of being released from Apparation was normally a pleasing one, but today it wasn’t. There was no Burrow in front of him. It appeared to be a large open meadow.

“We went to the wrong place,” someone muttered in one of the groups behind him.

“Silence,” he hissed under his breath.

He felt Judson’s arm flailing under the Invisibility Cloak. He didn’t need to see him to understand he was stumped about something. “What is it?”

“The Wards are different. They are not all in Runes,” whispered Judson. “I need room to move. I need to take off my cloak.”

“No,” hissed Lucius.

“Then someone hold it up so I can freely move my arms,” pleaded Judson.

“Amycus, Alecto, you heard what he said lift the cloak up to allow him to solve these wards, but keep it between him and the Weasleys'.”

“Where is that?” asked Alecto.

“You see the walk that suddenly disappears into the meadow,” hissed Lucius.

“Yep,” responded both of the Carrows much too loudly.

“That leads towards their house.”

Lucius sighed in relief as the Carrows lifted the cloak and held it the proper way.

Judson stood behind his Cloak waving his arms and making Runes appear, shimmer, and then disappear again. Lucius was silently counting down the seconds till they could attack Potter and the blood-traitors. If Judson does not break those wards in the next five minutes, they would need to try blunt force.

“Should we try another spot?” asked Severus Snape.

Lucius didn’t need to see him to know his voice.

“Look down, the footprints in the grass lead that way,” drawled Snape.

He took the Potionmaster’s advice. The grass where they were standing was trampled down as though everyone walked to their right. It had been the second location to enter the wards. The marquee, as of yesterday when he was here, was located so everyone would be facing the opposite direction.

“Judson?” he asked without clarifying.

“Hopefully we may find a doorway or weak spot in the Wards,” said Judson slightly out of breath.

“Let’s move,” ordered Lucius. “If we don’t get in there before the ceremony is over, we will have a fight on our hands.”

The group moved clumsily along the boundaries of the Ward. He was impressed with the strength of the Ward. He wished he could have a similar one cast on his manor house. Judson stopped walking. The Carrows almost exposed him as they kept walking.

“A doorway; look at the grass,” Judson said.

Lucius looked down and saw what Judson had seen. The footprints all turned towards the Ward. He could even see something in the ward. It appeared to be a large white marquee with people standing in it. After a couple of incantations from Judson, the marquee and people came into plain view.

“We are in,” whispered Judson after finding the right rune combination.

“Everyone move slowly and silently,” ordered Lucius.

He stepped through the opening in the Ward. The entire Burrow with its rustic impoverished look came into clear view. Straight in front of him was the hero, Harry Potter, or should he say James Bond. This was looking so easy. Everyone was turned away from them. He could feel the movement of people to each side of him, as they slowly and silently walked through the unkempt garden. He was amazed they hadn’t flushed any gnomes or stepped on something to announce their presence. They walked in a line until they were almost twenty feet from the Marquee entrance. There was only Potter, his bride, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black and eight of the Weasley brood.

He stopped and could sense everyone else stopping. He hoped that everyone felt his arm coming up. He could not see the tip of his wand, but he knew where it was aiming.

“Stupefy!” shouted Lucius.

The red beam collided with the side of Potter’s head. Green beams of light filled the air as everyone shouted out the Killing Curse.

It took him a second to realize that no one had fallen, and the Marquee was on fire. With a flick of his wrist Lucius erected a Shield, because the air was filled with spells coming at them from all sides.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry stared straight at Ginny with great difficulty. It was not her looks that were causing him problems. It was that he knew there were Death Eaters walking inside of the wards. He couldn’t see where exactly they were at or what their intentions were.

“It's alright, Harry,” whispered Ginny to him. “They are all focused on capturing your holographic image and killing ours,” she said through smiling lips.

He couldn’t figure out how she could do that. Her lips barely moved, but he could hear her clearly. He wanted to see if everything was going well for Professor Dumbledore. The Headmaster was casting the holographic image of them reciting their bonding vows to each other. It was so simple. All one needed to do was stare at something then perform a simple incantation and whatever the caster sees will be projected. The most difficult part of the spell was not breaking eye contact or blinking. The spell would project whatever the caster was seeing so if he would blink the image would also blink out.

The approaching Death Eaters seemed to believe what they saw was real. The projection was so perfect that they approached within fifteen feet of the marquee. Harry glanced at Professor Dumbledore. He was staring at Harry and the group of attendants while pointing his wand at an opening in the side of the marquee. The Headmaster projected the image of them in the appropriate location in the marquee.

Harry said his lines of the bonding aloud so the Death Eaters could hear them. It amazed him that they didn’t realize the sound wasn’t coming from the same place as the images they were seeing.

It took all his will not to flinch or react when he felt the Death Eaters drawing on their hatred to cast the killing curses. He didn’t even initially react when the marquee exploded into flames from all the deadly curses colliding with its fabric.

The fight was on and he didn’t need to stay still any longer. He saw Professor Dumbledore had turned and rounded the corner of the Burrow. Sirius and Remus were on his heels. Harry pulled his wand followed them. Ginny was close behind him along with Bill.

He was disappointed to see all the Death Eaters lying on the ground of the Burrow Stunned. Many of them had Invisibility Cloaks beside them on the ground.

“No one lower your wands,” shouted Mad-eye Moody. “Homenum Revelio,” he shouted. A red arc moved outward from him. As it hit each person, it bent to reveal them. The arc moved out to the wards without revealing anyone that was not visible.

“It looks safe,” said Moody. “What do you want to do with these scum?”

“Let’s see who they are?” asked Mr. Weasley.

Kingsley Shacklebolt was the closest to a Death Eater. He pulled his hood up. “They are not wearing masks,” he exclaimed. “Are they Death Eaters?”

“Check the left forearms,” said Professor Dumbledore to the Auror. He turned and looked at Harry. “What do you think about Alastor’s question?”

What did he want to do to these people who would come and try to kill Ginny and his closest friends? He thought Azkaban would be too good for them. However, he now had a chance to find out who his enemies were and use them to locate Voldemort.

“Is that Judson?” asked Mr Weasley.

“Yeah it is,” replied Tonks. “Bloody hell, Kingsley, look!” she shouted pointing at someone lying on the ground.

“It —it's Savage,” she said.

“An Auror,” spat Kingsley. “We should send all of these slimes to Azkaban. We can use their wands as evidence that they cast Unforgivables.”

“Oh look, its Snivellus,” shouted Sirius. “What a surprise.”

“What do you want to do Albus? If we are going to put a trace on this bunch we need get on with it,” shouted Mad-eye.

“Can you put a trace on them?” asked Harry.

“Yeah, but I will be needing nonmagical objects to attach the trace to, and also a large map to allow the tracing object to show us where they are at. If we are going to do that then we need to get on with it.”

“If we track these slimes, we may be able to find the rest of them,” stated Harry. Everyone else thought he was talking about Death Eaters. He actually saw it as a possibility to locate the Horcruxes.

“I need non magical objects, and it would be best if they are different,” demanded Mad-eye.

“I have those,” said Mr. Weasley. He waved his wand and the door to his workshop flew open and objects that looked like a swarm of bees flew out toward them. As they came closer, Harry could see that the objects were all things related to Muggle electrical systems. There were batteries, plugs of various styles, a few small radios, outlets, switches, and an assortment of pieces that Harry recognized as internal circuits to radios and television.

“Nymphadora…,”

“That’s Tonks,” shouted the female Auror at Mad-eye.

“Whatever, write down who I attach the trace to the object. You were raised like a muggle so you know what these are.”

“I can help,” said a small female voice.

“Miss Granger, you are to be inside of the Burrow,” said the Headmaster sternly to the bushy-haired witch.

“I need to get this done fast. If you can help, then grab a quill and a piece of parchment.”

Hermione Granger seemed to produce a quill, a roll of parchment, and even an ink bottle out of her handbag. She wrote down each object as Mad-eye would cast a spell that bound the Death Eater to the object. It only took five minutes to put the trace on the Death Eaters, but it seemed to take forever. While Mad-eye was placing the trace on them, Professor Dumbledore went around and modified their memories.

“They won’t remember being Stunned. They will just think they were in a prolonged battle and were able to escape.”

Moody finished putting the trace on all of them. He handed the last object, a sparkplug to Hermione, who quickly recorded that the sparkplug was for Gregory Goyle Sr.

“You get yourself inside and keep your head down Miss. Things are going to get rather sticky out here,” Moody ordered her.

Hermione Granger looked around and stared at Ron.

“I want my children inside also,” demanded Mrs. Weasley. She started ushering Ron, Fred, George, and she went for Ginny, but was rebuffed.

“I am going to leave a few marks on these scumbags for messing with my wedding day,” Ginny said heatedly.

“Poor sods,” quipped Fred and George together as their Mother spirited them away.

“Everyone take the places before they were Stunned,” shouted Moody. “Albus, we are going to need to Ennervate them all at once.”

“Harry, you do it,” said Bill. He looked at Ginny, then at their hands. “Let them see,” he added softer.

Ginny grabbed his hand. The feeling of her beside him always gave him strength, but physical contact with her seemed to make his magic surge to unbelievable levels. He quickly turned and with a sweeping motion over the Stunned Death Eaters, he shouted, “ENNERVATE!”

The Death Eaters all rose at the same time and started to fire Curses at the Order members. The Order was ready. An intense battle erupted within a second. The Death Eaters were using Unforgivables, but the Order was able to avoid the deadly Curses and return fire.

“Bill, close the Wards,” shouted Albus Dumbledore.

The Death Eaters all started running towards the opening in Wards, while firing deadly curses at the Order members. Harry was firing of the Furunculous hex with the intent on making the Death Eaters suffer in pain for some time. Ginny kept hitting them with her Bat-Bogey Hex. Several Death Eaters were wildly casting hexes while trying to fight off bogeys in the shape of bats flapping about their face.

In all the confusion of the battle, Harry did not notice one of the Death Eaters breaking from the rest. Ginny’s Bludgeoning Curse made him aware of the threat. The Death Eater that he remembered was Fenrir Greyback had turned and charged the Burrow. He had leapt towards one of the windows when Ginny hit him in the side with the Curse. He flew several yards before rolling to a stop. He could only get up and limp away holding his chest.

As the last Death Eater ran through the wards, Bill resealed them. Harry could feel them all Apparate away. He looked at Ginny.

“They are all gone,” she told them.

“Everyone be prepared, I am going to check to see if they all left,” shouted Mad-eye.

“Ginny said they were gone, and they all Apparated away,” Harry said.

Mad-eye looked at him and came walking towards him with that magical eye boring into Harry. It occasionally would jump to Ginny.

“I would like to know more about you two. How did you know they were here? That spell to revive them was bloody powerful, too powerful for the average wizard. Hell, the only one I thought could cast a spell like that would be Albus.”

“We can do those things, because of our soul bond,” replied Harry.

“Is that all you’re going to tell us?” he responded. He stepped closer to Harry and spoke so softly that no one but Harry and Ginny would be able to hear “I am good at sensing when someone is lying and I feel you are not telling me everything.”

“That is all you need to know,” replied Harry.

“Until we can trust you,” added Ginny.

“All right, I can accept that, you two are being cautious,” said Mad-eye.

“Mr. Moody, Mr. Moody,” shouted Hermione Granger. She was carrying the bag that held all of the pieces that had been used to trace the Death Eaters. They were bouncing around inside of the bag making it jump, twist, and turn in her hand.

“I need a place where I can make a map,” said Moody loudly so everyone could hear. “It would help if we could make it our headquarters. It looks like we are in another war.”

“Use my house,” said Sirius. “I would be honored if we would fill the house up with people tracking down and arresting Death Eaters. It would make the memories of my parents much more pleasant.”

Tonks let out a loud laugh at Sirius’ comment. “You are going to make your parents roll over in their graves.”

Sirius’ laugh was louder. “That’s the point cousin.”

“Alastor, Sirius, Kingsley, Tonks, and Remus,” said Professor Dumbledore. “Why don’t you go and set up the map but first find out if it will be safe there. We will wait for your return.”

“Can we get out?” Moody asked Bill.

“As long as you don’t have a Dark Mark,” Bill replied quickly.

Harry stood and watched as they all left and Apparated away after stepping through the Wards. He looked around the Burrow’s garden. There were scorch marks from spells and areas that had exploded from the Killing Curses.

He turned to look at the marquee. It was in flames. All the decorations and the chairs were on fire. His in-laws just stood there and watched it burn. Even if the fire was put out now, everything would be a total loss. The damage from the Killing Curses was irreversible.

The friends of Ginny’s brothers had left the Burrow with Mrs. Weasley and Aunt Muriel. They were all looking at the scene of the battle with a blank look on their faces, except Hermione Granger. She seemed genuinely curious about everything.

“Excuse me, Mr. Potter,” she said trying to get Harry’s attention.

“It’s Harry,” he replied smiling at her.

“How did you revive all twenty Death Eaters at once? How did you know they were here? It seemed as though you could sense them even though you couldn’t see them. Does this have anything to do with your soul bond?”

“Blimey, Hermione,” exclaimed Ron. He had been silent just staring at everything. “He just had twenty Death Eaters attack him at his wedding. They tried to kill….” Ron stopped talking and looked as if he was going to faint. “They were planning on killing me. Without any reason, they were going to kill me.”

“You were safe little brother,” assured Bill. “They would have never made it through my Wards unless I let them.”

“Safe, they came here to kill an entire family,” shouted a heavy set Gryffindor. Harry thought he was the captain of the Quidditch team. “This was supposed to be over. You were supposed to have ended it when you defeated you-know-who years ago. I could have lost my beaters today… Ouch!”

“You arrogant arse,” shouted the dark skinned Chaser, as she slapped the captain about his head. “How dare you think about Quidditch at a time like this?”

“It wouldn’t have mattered Oliver,” said Charlie Weasley. “If Harry hadn’t noticed them, you would be dead too.”

Everyone seemed to stop talking at that statement.

“How did you notice them?” asked Charlie.

“I can sense magic, and it is a result of my bond with Ginny,” Harry said to everyone staring at him. “I sensed them Apparating. If they had walked out of the woods, I would have never known they were there.”

“Did you know they were going to come after you?” asked Charlie.

“Are you accusing Harry of endangering everyone here?” asked Ginny.

“Well it seems rather suspicious that he wants to reform the Order of Phoenix and Death Eaters attack for the first time in….” Charlie never finished his statement as bat shaped bogeys flew out of his nose and attacked him.

Harry turned and was pleased to see that Ginny hadn’t even drawn her wand.

“Getemoffme,” shouted Charlie.

“Apologize to Harry,” demanded Ginny.

“Getemoffme!”

“Apologize and I will.”

“I apologize. I’m sorry,” shouted Charlie. The bat bogeys disappeared as quickly as they appeared.

“I assure you that I do not want to put anyone in danger,” said Harry forcefully. “That is why we need to reform the Order of the Phoenix.”

“What’s the Order of the Phoenix?” asked George.

“It was an organization to fight against Voldemort and his Death Eaters during the last war,” said Professor Dumbledore.

“Sign me up,” said George.

“Me too,” added Fred.

“NO!” shouted Mrs. Weasley. “Not the children. No Albus we can’t put the children in harm’s way. I already lost two brothers because they belonged to the Order.”

“I do not intend to allow children to fight Death Eaters, Molly,” said Albus calmly.

“But we want to help,” stated Hermione Granger. “Besides, after what we just saw, it won’t matter what you want. We will be in harm’s way if the Death Eaters decide it.”

“Enough of this talk,” shouted Mrs. Weasley. “Let’s eat. There is plenty of food for everyone and it would be a shame to see it go to waste. Everyone, go into the kitchen and get a plate and fill it up. You can sit anywhere.”

Ron quickly jumped to the head of the line. As the line was forming, Bill, Remus, Sirius, and Tonks returned.

“Where’s Alastor and Kingsley?” asked Professor Dumbledore.

“They are watching the map,” said Remus. “Everything is working great.”

“The house is a bloody mess and infested with Doxies, but we can use it for Headquarters,” said Sirius. “Alastor recommends that you place a Fidelius Charm on it, Professor.”

“I can do that,” replied the Headmaster.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Lord Voldemort leaned against Nagini in the dark corner of Lucius’s dungeon. It was a terrible existence for the greatest wizard of all time, but it was better than anything he had experienced in the past eleven years.

Two years ago he had possessed a wizard and almost stole the Philosophers Stone from its hiding place in Gringotts. If that goblin had not driven by at the wrong time, he would already be regenerated. Drinking the elixir of life would have returned him his body, but he would need to drink it every day to maintain his existence.

That failure forced him to think of another way; a permanent way to restore himself to his former glory. He had come up with a method. To ensure its success he needed a few drops of Harry Potter’s blood. With that and several other crucial ingredients, he would be flesh again, and he wouldn’t need to drink an elixir every day.

He could hear the metal door that separated the dungeons from the rest of the house shut. Lucius should be back with Potter. Soon he would be fully revived. The anticipation of regaining his body made him roll his wand in his deformed hands. They were small and twisted, but he could still hold his glorious wand.

The footsteps were getting closer, but it sounded like only one set. Lucius had better not fail him. He may have returned the wand to him, but he needed Potter also. Without Potter, he would not be able to regain his body, without a fatal flaw. Potter would once again be able to defeat him.

Lucius Malfoy stepped into his view. He was alone. Kneeling down in front of him, he spoke, “Master, I could not capture Potter. They had a trap set for us.”

“A trap? What type of a trap?”

“They lured us in thinking we were sneaking up on the wedding. I am not sure how, but they knew we were coming. We were surrounded. We fought valiantly but were not able to capture Potter.”

“Who surrounded you?”

“It was Professor Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix, master.”

“I thought Severus said they had been disbanded?” questioned Voldemort.

“Yes, master he said that, and he assured me that Professor Dumbledore wouldn’t be there.”

Voldemort felt the smooth wood of his wand. “I shall have a talk with Severus at a later date. You said you fought valiantly. How many did you kill?”

He saw Lucius squirm a little. “None, master.”

“How many of my loyal servants died trying to obtain the one thing I desired over everything else?”

“None master,” said Lucius.

Voldemort could sense Lucius’ anxiety as he knew what it meant to fail. To his credit, Lucius didn’t try to flee or beg for forgiveness.

“I did not ask that you try to capture Potter. I wanted you to capture him without any witnesses to confirm it was Death Eaters that captured him.” His anger was building. Years of exile without being able to use his wand was fueling his anger. “If Dumbledore has the Order reorganized then they know I am coming back. This will make my task even more difficult.

“You have failed me, Lucius,” he hissed out. “You must be punished. Crucio!

The feel of the magic coursing through his wand created an exhilarating feeling like none other. Watching Lucius twist and scream in agony only made the experience even better.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

White hot pain coursed through Harry’s head. It hit him so suddenly that he couldn’t do anything but fall to the floor. The intense pain was blocking out everything around him and was making him sick. If it didn’t stop soon he would be losing his dinner.

Soft cooling comfort came from Ginny’s touch and her voice. He could hear her through the pain and her comfort lessened it so he could gain control of his body again. He opened his eyes and saw the entire room staring at him. They had worried looks on their faces, most seemed to relax as he sat up with Ginny’s assistance.

“What hit me?” he asked no one in particular.

“Nothing hit you mate,” said Sirius. “You just let out a scream and fell to the ground and started thrashing about while holding your head.”

Harry looked at Sirius with disbelief. Certainly something had hit him, a piece of the cracked plaster on the ceiling had fallen, or a light, but as he looked around there was no evidence of anything like that happening.

“What caused the pain?” he asked, this time he directed the question to Ginny. She had the ability to sense when people are in pain and help heal them. She had just done it for him. She would know.

She didn’t say anything. If anything she looked rather peaky. Of course she can feel all his emotions and hear all his thoughts she must also have felt the terrible pain.

“Did it hurt you too?” he asked her.

She gave him a quick glance before turning away. “Yeah, I felt it too.”

He tried to sit up, but Ginny placed a hand on his shoulder to keep him sitting on the floor. “Perhaps, we should go home?”

Harry looked around him at Grimmauld Place the new headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. It was everything that Sirius had said about it, and even worse. Harry had thought that Sirius had exaggerated slightly when describing his parents and their love for the Dark Arts. It was all true. It wasn’t the evidence of Dark Magic in nearly every room that made it so terrible. It was not also the dirty unkempt appearance of the house. It wasn’t the life sized portrait of Sirius’ mother, who hurled insults at everyone as they walked up the stairs.

It was the House Elf heads in the stairwell. Sirius said that it was a Black family tradition to cut off the head of an aged House Elf and mount it on the wall. Harry had never heard of anything so barbaric. House Elves were intelligent and sensitive creatures. After seeing the heads on the wall, Harry understood why Sirius treated House Elves the way he did, like some beast of burden. Hopefully, the heads will be one of the first things to be removed from the house.

Alastor Moody and Professor Dumbledore started arguing again. They had been discussing using underage witches and wizards to watch the map for the Order. Professor Dumbledore was reluctant. It seemed he feared Mrs. Weasley’s wrath.

Harry stared up at the map that had the tracing objects attached to it. It was a large piece of glass that had the map of the British Isles etched on it. It had words of each European country and United Stated printed on it. If a Death Eater goes to one of those countries, the Order will know it.

It took him several minutes to realize where they obtained the glass from. They had removed the large picture window from the first floor and etched the map on it. The glass worked perfectly, because people could watch the map from both sides now.

Harry stood up. He felt Ginny’s hand on his arm. She looked so worried that it made him concerned about what happened to cause him such pain.

“If we are going to leave, then I will need to stand up,” he told her.

“Yes, of course,” she said distractedly. “Bill, Sirius, Remus, we need to leave.” She said with authority.

Harry saw them give her a strange look. Evidently, they were not ready to leave.

“Now, please!” she said even more emphatically.

Harry walked along as they left Sirius’ family home and Apparated to Gringotts. They went through the usual security and when they stepped into the special vault to transport them to one of his homes. Ginny insisted on Morocco.

This surprised Harry, because they had originally planned on spending the night in England. No one argued with her. It seemed to be something she inherited from her mother.

An hour later, Harry had been placed in his bed with a pot of tea and a small bowl of chocolates. He was feeling fine, but he wasn’t going to turn down the special treatment. The only thing that was bothering him was the way the Ginny was acting. He wished he could read her mind like she could his. Usually by this time, Ginny told him what he needed to know so he would stop worrying about her. Tonight she was different.

She stepped out of the bathroom with only a white cotton nightgown on. He stared at her. It was his favorite nightgown. It was simple but it seemed to make her all the more beautiful to him. It was low cut and usually one strap hung down off a shoulder. It only came to mid-thigh, and it seemed to cling to her curves.

The lights in the room dimmed without her using her wand.

The tea cup was now shaking in Harry’s hand. Seeing her like this made him want to do things that they promised not to do until Voldemort was finished.

“Chocolate,” he said offering her the bowl.

“No, I don’t need those. All I need is right here,” she said seductively as she slid up beside him.

Harry moved away from her. His heart was beating wildly. The very touch of her was causing him to doubt his resolve. “Ginny, we are supposed to wait until Voldemort is finished. If we have any children then they will be left orphans.”

“My parents will take care of them. Certainly we can find someone to protect them.”

“The war may drag on for years. Do you want to raise children during a war that we will be the center of?”

“I want to have your children, Harry. I want a boy and a girl. I want the Potter family to survive.”

Harry was a bit surprised by her last statement. “You seem to think I will die. We will die.”

“I accept it as a possibility. If we hadn’t been prepared to ambush the Death Eaters, I may already be dead, and so would you. Everyone thinks about you defeating Voldemort, but there is so much more that you are responsible for. Your family has actually been keeping the peace with the goblins and House Elves for hundreds of years. If we don’t have any children, then what will happen with that relationship?”

He looked at her. She was right. He never realized that the Potter family had so much responsibility in the magical community. They helped keep the peace with the Goblins through Gingotts and also support of House Elves.

“We are too young,” he pleaded with her. “You are still only eleven. I am only twelve.”

Ginny gave him a sly grin. A very sexy sly grin and moved closer to him. “Do I look like I am only eleven?” she whispered in his ear.

He knew at that point he had lost his argument, and he didn’t care one little bit.

Back to index


Chapter 9: Will

Author's Notes: Arthur Weasley was sitting in his kitchen the morning after Ginny and Harry's attempt at a bonding ceremony, when he receives a strange owl with a mysterious letter.
I would thank my Beta, Lief, for doing such a great job correcting my writing.


Arthur Weasley sat and sipped on his tea. The Daily Prophet lay beside him. He already read it completely through. It had nothing about the attack on his family the day before. He didn’t expect it to, but he wanted to check to be sure.

Everyone, except Ron, had already eaten their breakfast. Molly was on her way up the stairs to motivate Ron, since he had not responded to her yelling at him. Arthur didn’t want to waste his day sitting here waiting for the wedding rental people to show up. They were supposed to come by nine the next morning after the event. It was already half past ten, and he has not seen any sign of them.

In some ways, he was relieved that they hadn’t appeared to collect the marquee and the chairs. Everything had been destroyed yesterday. He had been fortunate enough to win the Lucky Galleon competition at work. He promptly spent everything, but forty galleons on Ginny’s wedding. The most expensive thing was her gown, but to see her in it made every galleon worth it.

Soon the rental place will come and he will have to figure out a payment plan to pay for the damage. He looked over the contract last night, and added up replacement cost on everything. It was going to cost him eleven hundred galleons to replace everything. He had forty.

It was times like these that made him regret his choice of profession. He had been offered a job at Gringotts when he graduated from Hogwarts, but he decided he wanted to work to help Muggles. They would not have needed to make all the sacrifices they have made, if only he had taken the Gringotts job.

They had endured buying second hand clothes and books for the children, but that won’t be enough to pay off the damages. He may need to take another job just to pay off the bill and send his children to school.

The plodding footsteps of his youngest son brought him out of thoughts. Ron never liked to get up early, and he appeared to not appreciate his mother waking him.

“Morning Ron,” he said cheerfully.

Ron barely lifted his eyes to look at him. “Yeah, good morning,” he said gruffly. “Are you going to work today?”

“I may stop in later,” he replied. “It is Sunday and we do get the opportunity to take Sundays off.”

“Yea dats rite,” Ron said with a mouthful of eggs.

Arthur ignored his son’s terrible table manners. “I am also waiting for the people to pick up the marquee and the chairs.”

Ron guffawed at the comment. He nearly spit toast onto the table. “Won’t need to do that, will they. It is all burnt to ash,” he said almost laughing.

Arthur looked at him irritated that he would brush off something like that as funny.

“How are you going to pay for it?” Ron asked.

“We will get by, Ron. Don’t need to worry, we will get by,” Arthur tried to say with more confidence than he had.

An owl’s pecking on the kitchen window caught Arthur’s attention. He quickly rose and went to let it in. He didn’t recognize it as one of the Ministry Owls. It hopped down on the counter and lifted it leg towards him. He quickly removed the large scroll attached to its leg. The bird took flight again after being relieved of its load.

Arthur looked at the unrolled scroll. It was blank, at first. He could feel a magical presence on the parchment. Soon handwriting appeared; the entire body appeared to him along with an ornate letter “P” in the bottom right corner.

Good Morning Dad,

Harry and I would like to invite you and the entire family to our place for dinner today. There are some things we need to discuss with you and Mum.

Take this letter to a clerk in Gringotts and he will know what to do with it. When you get to our special vault there will be a letter with further instructions.

Enjoy the ride.

“Love,

Ginny Potter


“Molly,” he shouted for her.

“No need to shout, I am right here,” she said from the stairwell. She had two baskets of laundry floating behind her.

“Right, Ginny wants all of us to come over for the day. She said something about dinner.”

“I’m ready,” shouted Ron.

“We are going nowhere until you get cleaned up, young man,” stated Molly rather sternly. “I’ll get the rest motivated, Arthur.”

“I will need to stop by Wedding Supplies and Rental’s office. They still haven’t come for the marquee and chairs,” said Arthur to his wife.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur walked down the middle of Diagon Alley with almost his entire family behind him. It was a pleasant day today and everyone he met seemed to be courteous to him and his family. It helped with his nerves. He wasn’t sure how he would explain everything to the Wedding Rental place, but he needed to square away that debt.

He stood in front of the door for several seconds before entering. It was actually a small shop in size. They either stored everything somewhere else or they were masters at Shrinking Charms. There was barely enough room for him to step in. The rest of his family had to wait on the street.

“Ah Mr. Weasley, what brings you to our little shop today,” said the owner Canton Briggs. He was small built wizard with greying brown hair and round face.

“I came about the marquee and chairs you rented me…,”

Mr. Briggs cut him off. “Do not worry about them, Mr. Weasley. Sirius Black stopped by this morning and explained everything. He also paid for the damages.”

Arthur’s heart skipped a beat. What did Sirius tell this man?

“Sirius paid for everything?” he questioned Mr. Briggs.

“Of course, it is only right, since he burnt them up. It is a dangerous thing to give firewhiskey to Mr. Black.”

Arthur smiled at the owner. “Yes, it was foolish of me to allow that. He paid for all the damages?”

“Yes. He did. I still have a hard time remembering that he had spent so many years in Azkaban. He was in here as polite as a wizard can be. It sure seems that the Ministry made a mistake by placing him in that horrible prison.”

“Yes, it sure seems that way,” said Arthur.

He stood there shocked and a little confused. It bothered him that Sirius would pay for the damage to the marquee. However, it made things much easier for him, since he had no idea how he would be able pay that debt.

“Is there anything else,” asked Mr. Briggs.

Arthur realized that he had been standing there with a blank look on his face. “No, nothing, have a nice day.”

When he left the little office, Molly was standing there looking rather peaky. He had spoken to her about their financial difficulties. Charlie and Ron had wandered over to Quality Quidditch Supplies and were staring at the latest display. Fred and George were talking to a couple of children that looked about the same age. Percy was standing beside Molly looking extremely anxious but proper as always.

“Everything has been sorted out,” he told Molly.

“All right, what does that mean for the coming school year,” asked Molly.

“Sirius Black paid for all the damages. He even told them it was his fault. He had too much Firewhiskey and burnt the marquee and the chairs.”

“Why would he do that,” asked Percy.

“Because, he probably knew we couldn’t afford to pay for it,” said Arthur.

Percy looked around and nodded slightly. He stared at his Mum before talking. “It was very nice of him to do that.”

“Yes, it was,” sighed Molly. “We should pay him back. We can’t let him pay our debts for us.”

“It was hardly our fault,” snapped Percy. “True, it wasn’t his either, but we know that the people who caused it will never pay for the damage.”

“It is good to have friends like Sirius and Harry,” said Arthur. “Harry did want to pay for the wedding. Speaking of Harry, we should get going to Gringotts to meet them.”

“Charlie, Ron, Fred, and George let’s get going,” shouted Molly.

All the boys turned and looked at her and started moving towards them.

“Let’s get moving Weasleys,” said Arthur.

They all walked towards the massive white building that housed Gringotts bank. He never figured out why they had to go to Gringotts to contact Ginny and Bill. He had never heard of goblins helping wizards before and here they were acting as protectors.

They casually strolled through the large golden doors of the bank. He walked up to the nearest open counter and handed the goblin the letter from Ginny. The surly window attendant stared at the parchment for a few seconds, before his expression changed.

“I will get Grins Gringotts,” the goblin said almost courteously. It jumped off the stool and hurried back into the offices.

“What was in that letter?” asked Percy.

“It was a letter from Ginny asking us to come over. She wrote to give it to any goblin,” answered Arthur.

“Very curious,” said Percy thoughtfully.

Charlie chuckled at his younger brother. “If what I have heard is true, we are in for a bit of a shock.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Arthur.

“Because, Bill made it sound like Harry and our little sister practically own this bank.”

“Harry did mention his family having a working relationship with the goblins,” said Molly.

“What do we have here?” said Arthur. There were five or six goblins walking towards them. He didn’t know much about the goblin hierarchy, but the three in front looked to be very important. All the other goblins either bowed out of their way, or started working extra fast and hard.

The group moved around the end of the counter, the goblin in the lead addressed them.

“I am Grins Gringotts, the heir. Did you give Kax this letter?” the goblin held out his hand with Ginny’s letter.

“Yes, I did. I am Ginny Potter’s father, this is her Mother, and these are her brothers,” Arthur said calmly to the goblin.

“She has requested your presence and I will take you to her. However, if any of you intend to harm her or Mr. Potter, then you best remain here, or suffer greatly.”

“Gee, Percy, looks like you be staying here alone,” teased George.

“I will not stay here,” snapped Percy haughtily.

All six goblins drew wicked looking swords and pointed them at Percy.

“You will not harm any of the Potters in my presence,” warned the one calling himself Grins Gringotts.

“I was only joking,” apologized George.

“I do not joke,” replied Grins Gringotts flatly.

“That is something Percy and you have in common,” said Fred.

“Enough you two,” ordered Molly. “I want to see my daughter.”

“Then follow me,” said the lead goblin.

Arthur followed along after giving Fred and George a look that said if they opened their mouths again they would regret it. They walked back to where the carts were kept for traveling to the vaults.

“Why are we going to the vaults?” Arthur asked the lead goblin.

“To access them you must go this way,” replied the lead goblin.

Everyone piled into carts to take the trip down into the vaults. They flew along on the rickety tracks on three different carts. Arthur was used to trips lasting only a few seconds. This one lasted nearly ten minutes. They had passed more vaults than he ever realized were down here. Groups of vaults lined both sides of the track. Soon the vaults were less frequent but larger. He heard a dragon roar up ahead, he knew that he must be passing by some of the original vaults.

He could hear Charlie say something in the car behind him, but with the noise the cars made, it was impossible to understand him. The dragon appeared and disappeared in a matter of a second. It seemed to be guarding a series of large vaults.

The carts started to slow down. Arthur noticed that there seemed to be no vaults in this section of the tunnels. In fact the track stopped in front of a large steel door. There were six heavily armed goblins standing guard at the door. He and Molly stepped out of the car and stretched their legs. The other two cars had stopped behind them and his sons were getting out.

Grins Gringotts stood and waited for them. “If any of you are not who you say you are, best you return to the surface now. You are about to pass through the highest security that Gringotts has.”

“Higher security than a dragon,” asked Ron.

“Yes,” the goblin said.

“Let’s get this over with,” said Arthur. “I didn’t intend on spending the entire day to see my daughter for a few minutes.”

“Very well, follow me in a single line,” ordered the goblin.

The goblin turned and started walking towards the steel door. Arthur nudged Ron to follow the goblin. Fred then George was next followed by Percy and Charlie. Molly walked ahead of him. He watched as blasts of wind seemed to generate out of the stone ground. What amazed him was the wall of water they had to walk through. It felt wet to the touch, but it didn’t soak his clothes. Finally his entire family was standing in front of the steel door.

“You have all passed,” said Grins Gringotts. He placed his hand on the steel door. There was a loud popping sound as the door started to move. Behind the door was another cavern. There were six more goblins in full battle armor. At the far side of the cavern were two of the largest steel doors Arthur had ever seen. They were the size of Hogwarts main entrance doors.

The one door had an ornate letter “P” carved into its surface. It was the exact match to the letter “P” that was on Ginny’s letter. He looked at the other vault. It had a symbol emblazoned on it. Arthur recognized it as a Gobbleygook letter “G”.

“Do we have to go through there?” asked Ron.

“No,” stated the goblin sharply. “Those are the original vaults. Only two members of each family may have permission to open those vaults. Only Harry and Ginny Potter can open the Potter family vault and my Father and Grandfather can open our family’s vault.”

Arthur wasn’t sure goblins got sentimental, but Grins Gringotts, the heir, seemed to get choked up about the vaults.

“You must go into there,” the goblin pointed at a small steel door. “There will be an envelope for you. Open it after I close the door.”

The other goblins who had accompanied them down here opened the third steel door in this cavern. It was a small empty steel lined vault. On the far wall was an envelope spell-o-taped to the wall. Arthur didn’t hesitate and walked into the steel lined vault. He could hear his family grumble behind him. They seemed to think this was a trick, except for Charlie. Eventually Ron stepped into the vault, and Grins Gringott closed the steel door.

There was a single candle burning in the vault giving him light to open the envelope. He tore open the seal and the vault was filled with Ginny’s voice.

“Morocco,” it said.

The vault seemed to shudder a bit before becoming quiet.

“I wonder what just happened,” asked Percy.

No one answered him as the steel door opened again. It was Bill this time.

“William,” shouted Molly as she ran to her eldest son.

“Hi Mum, glad you could make it,” he struggled to say as Molly hugged him. “If you come this way, I will take you up to Ginny and Harry.”

Arthur was amazed. He saw through the open door that they were not in the cavern anymore. “Where are we?” he asked his son.

“You are in Morocco, Dad,” Bill said with smiling eyes. “Pretty bloody amazing system isn’t it.”

“We traveled all the way from London to Morocco in a second?” asked Percy absolutely gob-smacked. “Does the Ministry have to approve travel like this?”

“The Ministry doesn’t even know about that vault, and please don’t inform them. Being able to travel from country to country without being sensed could be a big advantage. Now let’s get out of this basement,” said Bill as he turned and walked away.

Arthur noticed that the basement seemed to be hewed out of solid sandstone. He followed his sons and Molly took the lead with Bill. He could hear them talking up ahead, but he didn’t know what they were talking about because they were so far away.

The next level up was the house’s actual storage area. It was huge and the shelves were completely stocked with all types of supplies. The family crossed through this storage area and ascended another set of steps. He could feel the air become warmer and drier as they moved. Just before he made it to the next level, the scents of cooked food hit him and made his stomach grumble. They stepped into a kitchen staffed with house elves. He wanted to stop and sample some of the food, but his family kept moving.

There were not anymore stairs. They came out of the kitchen into a formal dining room of sorts. There were thick scarlet tapestries hanging on all the walls and large ebony table and chairs filled the center of the room. There was one chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. It looked like the entire Weasley family could sit at this table with room to spare. The next room they came to was some sort of a foyer or a general meeting room. It had wide open windows and doorways leading to a central garden. The air was extremely hot and he could smell the tangy smell of salt. They must be near an ocean.

Bill kept walking across the open aired garden to the other side of the house. The house was two floors high with a balconies opening onto this little garden with a fish pond and a small fountain. He started to wonder just how large this house was. The Burrow could stand in the central garden.

Bill had found Ginny. Arthur could hear Molly squeal out Ginny’s name, as she entered this new room. The boys just stepped into it and stared off to the sides. Arthur had to nudge them along so he could step in too. When he did, his mouth dropped also. It was an enormous two storied library. There were large tables located at three different locations. Twenty people could find places to do research here.

A set of arms wrapped around his waist bringing him out of his astonishment.

“Hi, Dad,” Ginny said, as she hugged him.

He returned the embrace and kissed the top of her head. Seeing her now, he didn’t think of her as a little girl. He saw her as a fully grown woman. The Bonding ceremony had somehow changed his perception of her.

“Welcome to Morocco,” she told him. “Does everyone want to see the place?”

All the Weasleys shouted that they did.

“I’ll take them around. Bill, do you want to go with me?”

“Sure, what about Harry?” asked Bill.

“Leave him, he needs the studying,” she said smiling.

Arthur once again fell in behind his children. He was able to listen to the Ginny talk about the house and answer questions that her brothers posed her. He walked hand in hand with Molly. It felt good to be able to do that. Ron asked about a Quidditch pitch.

“We don’t have one here. There is one in Turkey, France, and England, so if you want to play Quidditch, we must visit one of those homes.”

“How, do you plan on doing that?” asked Percy.

“All our houses are connected with the vault system,” replied Ginny as she walked. “We can go between our houses without anyone realizing it.”

“The goblins know where you are. Don’t they?” questioned Percy again.

“Not always, they don’t really want to know, and it gives us more security,” she said as she ascended a marble staircase.
As they were walking, Arthur was looking at the building. He couldn’t bring himself to calling something this large a house. The floors were all intricate mosaics and the stairs and balustrades were marble. He looked up through the opening in the center courtyard and saw the Atlas Mountains looming over them.

“You telling me you don’t have the room to play Quidditch,” asked a bewildered Ron.

“Here follow me,” Ginny opened a door along the second floor balcony.

They walked through a bedroom suite. It looked as if no one was using it, because everything was covered. She opened a set of French doors and stepped out onto an exterior balcony. It looked out over the surrounding grounds. This estate was in a middle of a town. There was a several hundred foot buffer between the house and the outer wall of the estate. Beyond that there were small houses built out of an off-white adobe.

“We are in a middle of a Muggle location,” stated Ginny. “We don’t hide this house, or do anything that the Muggles might fear like dive bombing them with Bludgers.”

“Well, you certainly aren’t any fun anymore,” said Fred and George together.

Ginny laughed at their comment. “I have to be more responsible now. I can still have fun, but nothing too reckless.”

“How can you have fun…,”

“And not be reckless.” George finished for Fred.

Ginny laughed at them. “Give me some time and you will see. Mum, Dad, I would like to extend an invitation to you to spend a couple of weeks with Harry and me.”

“I will be here too,” said Bill.

“That sounds lovely dear, but I will need to check with work and see if I can get the time off,” he told her. He actually thought he could get the time off, but he didn’t want to make any promises he couldn’t keep.

“Can we see the places where Bill has been curse breaking?” asked Molly, holding Bill’s hand.

“That shouldn’t be a problem,” replied Ginny. “I invited you to Morocco first so you don’t get too overwhelmed.”

Bill laughed at her comment. “Turkey and Egypt can be a bit over whelming when you see them.”

“Why is that, son?” asked Arthur.

“Turkey is huge and filled with ghosts fighting each other,” said Bill.

“The estate is located on top of Troy,” stated Ginny.

“Egypt is well ...,” said Bill. He looked lost for words.

“Have you ever heard of the Libraries of Alexandria?” asked Ginny.

“Vaguely, it was destroyed over a thousand years ago,” said Percy.

“No, it disappeared,” said Ginny. She smiled at everyone.

“You live in a library?” shouted Ron. “Hermione would move in if she could, that girl is always in Hogwarts library.”

Ginny smiled at her brother. “We occasionally live there. There are ghosts of sorcerers that died protecting its scrolls from destruction. They can be rather pesky when you want to look at anything ancient. ”

“Where do you live?” asked Molly. “You make it sound like you are jumping from one location to another all the time.”

“We do, Mum,” said Ginny. “It is safer that way.”

Everyone seemed to get quiet at Ginny’s statement. They remembered how the Death Eaters attacked yesterday, because they were finally able to locate Harry.

“When do we eat,” said Ron.

“Yeah, I would like to try some of that nosh your goblins were cooking,” exclaimed Charlie.

“That wasn’t for us,” said Ginny. Ron and Charlie’s faces fell hearing that. “Every Sunday the House Elves of this estate prepare a feast and leave it for the neighbors. They call it Atlas’ tithing,” she said laughing. “It is rumored that the titan Atlas stands on top of those peaks and holds up the sky from touching the earth.”

“That must get very expensive to do that every week,” Arthur said.

“It is only a small portion of what they pay us in rent every week,” said Ginny. “The Potter family tradition is to be generous with everyone and everyone will deal fairly with you. They do not believe in intimidation. It has worked well for them so far.”

Ginny looked at Arthur then Molly. There was something going through her mind. “Could I talk to you two alone? Harry will need to be there also.”

“Yes, dear that will be no problem. Is there something wrong?” Molly asked Ginny.

“We need to talk,” she said. It was obvious that she didn’t want the subject discussed in front of the entire family.

“You three can talk while the rest of us raid that kitchen,” said Fred.

Ginny smiled at her brothers as they left for the kitchens. It was only her and her parents on the balcony now. Her mother was fanning herself frantically. Arthur was also feeling rather warm. Spending time in the Mediterranean area Ginny must have acclimated to the heat. Coming straight from England, they were still used to the cool English weather.

“We can go to the library and talk. I’ll have some fresh lemonade brought for us there.”

Her mother smiled at her. “That sounds very nice dear. Is it always this hot here?”

“Yes, it is and where we will be going in Egypt to see Bill’s work is even hotter. Cooling Charms will help, but after a few days you will get used to the heat.”

“I don’t know about that,” sighed a red-faced Molly. “I don’t think I could ever get used to heat like this.”

“Come along, it is cooler in the library,” Ginny said as she led them back inside to the library.

Arthur smiled as he followed his daughter and wife back inside of the house. He continued to look around and tried to see everything about this house. Walking this direction, he noticed small things that he hadn’t noticed before. There were statues placed in recesses around the second floor interior balcony. He walked past a couple and recognized them as Apollo and Zeus. There were enough statues to cover all the gods of Olympus.

As they entered the library, Arthur noticed the doors had Greek letters on them. He did not read Greek so he couldn’t decipher them. Harry was sitting and reading from an advanced defensive magic textbook. The sight made him smile. Harry took his education seriously, which may be the only way he survives his destiny.

Harry looked up from the book and smiled at Ginny. They greeted each other with a small kiss. The look in their eyes reminded Arthur of how he and Molly were when first bonded and still were at times. It was difficult to show affection with several children running around the house.

A House Elf delivered a tray with iced lemonade. He didn’t remember Ginny actually called for the lemonade. The House Elf placed the tray on a conference table that Harry wasn’t using and left the room. Ginny poured Molly a tall glass of lemonade, and then poured a glass for him. He took a long cool sip of the lemony drink. It was so cooling and seemed to take the discomfort of the heat away. He held the glass against his warm face. The chilly surface refreshed him immediately.

“Mum, Dad, would you like to take a seat,” Ginny said indicating the table with the tray of lemonade.

Arthur held a chair for Molly. He noticed that Harry had done the same for Ginny. He was happy he did simple things like that for Ginny.

Ginny nervously took Harry’s hand and looked at him before speaking. “Mum, Dad, We would like to ask something from you,” she said. She seemed to hesitate before speaking.

“What is it dear?” asked Molly.

“We are thinking of having children,” Ginny said hesitantly.

“I am glad to hear that, but you are going to wait aren’t you?” said Molly. “There is no need to rush to have children.”

Ginny seemed to get a little peaky. “I think there is Mum. If something happens — no — if either one of us dies then the other shall die shortly after.”

“You seem to think that you will lose,” he said to his daughter.

“It is a possibility,” replied Ginny harshly. “We cannot allow the House of Potter to disappear.”

Arthur was shocked at what she said. “No offense to you Harry, but why is it so important to keep the house of Potter alive?”

“We have a pact with the Gringotts family and the bank,” explained Harry. “We also have a pact with the House Elves. If my house ends, then the pact is over. The bank would lose a large percentage of its assets and the Gringotts family has always influenced the goblin community to maintain a peace with the wizards and witches. If my house ends, they will no longer be bound to help us and our society.

“My house also has strong ties with House Elves. Any house Elf that has been given clothes can come to the House of Potter and be employed. We will pay them and they are not slaves to my house, but workers. It gives them the feeling of self-worth, and also makes them happy to be helpful to someone. If our House,” Harry said while looking at Ginny. “If we would cease to exist there would be many House Elves without anything to do. In the past they have been known to rebel against magical society. Their rebellions were never as large and bloody as the goblins.”

“Harry, I can appreciate that you want to keep your house alive, but I get the impression that you are trying to have children already. Even though you look to be mature, are you ready to have children,” Arthur asked them.

Harry looked nervous and glanced at Ginny.

“I have been ready to have children since the month after we bonded. I am afraid if we wait it will never happen,” argued Ginny.

“What changed pumpkin?” he asked his daughter.

“They were going to kill me and capture Harry yesterday. They were going to kill all of you,” Ginny said through a quivering voice. She was trying to hold back tears.

Harry pulled her close and kissed her on the side of the head. It was a loving show of support, but it seemed to make Ginny even more upset.

“Why are you telling us this? You could just have children and tell us afterwards,” questioned Molly.

Ginny looked Harry in his eyes before answering. “If we should die, we would like the two of you to raise our children.”

Arthur looked at her. Molly seemed to sit up a little straighter. Neither one said anything.

“We would like to ask if you would love our children like they were one of your own,” Harry questioned them.

“Of course we would love them like our own,” responded Molly. “What would ever make you think we wouldn’t love our own grandchildren?”

Arthur could tell she was upset that Harry would think they would not love their own grandchildren. Harry looked at Ginny; she smiled at her husband and abruptly stood up. She walked to an area at the end of the table and started waving her wand. It shot out silver sparks that stayed where she placed them. Soon she had some three dimensional drawing that looked a like an area under a set of steps.

“You see this Mum?” Ginny asked.

“Yes, I see it, but what is it?”

“What you are looking at is what Harry called his room until a week before his eleventh birthday.”

“But that looks like a cupboard under the stairs,” replied Molly bewildered.

“It was,” Harry added. “My Hogwarts letter came to me addressed to Harry Potter, The Cupboard under the Stairs, Number four Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. My Aunt and Uncle would lock me in that cupboard for days only allowing me to go to the bathroom, whenever I upset them.”

“Didn’t they have enough room for you?” asked Molly.

“They had two extra bedrooms. One was saved for visitors, and the other was for Dudley’s broken possessions he couldn’t keep in his own bedroom.”

Arthur stared at the space that Ginny drew. He was kept in a place smaller than a normal closet, by the people that were given charge to care for him. He suddenly realized the most disturbing fact.

“Albus Dumbledore knew you were living under those conditions, if your Hogwarts letter was addressed like that. He wanted to send you back to those horrible people. We were going along with his plan,” Arthur stopped talking and looked at the young man that was his son-in-law. “Why would he allow that?”

“The night my parents died my Mother sacrificed her life to protect me. Her loving sacrifice is what protects me from Voldemort. Professor Dumbledore evoked an ancient blood rite to keep that protection in place. As long as I lived with a blood relative of my mother, I will be protected from Voldemort attacking me.”

Arthur looked at his wife. Molly had unshed tears in her eyes. He couldn’t tell what part of Harry’s story caused the tears to form, but they were there. He better understood Harry’s past, but he was still curious about something.

“You said that your mother sacrificed for you. Didn’t your father die that night also? Professor Dumbledore could have sent you to your grandparents.”

“My Dad was going to die anyway. Voldemort had made a deal with Severus Snape to save my mother for him. Sirius and Remus believe it was Snape, because he was infatuated with my Mum.”

“Severus Snape is an idiot,” shouted Molly. Her face was flushed and she had tears rolling down her cheeks. “He has no clue what a parent will do for their children. Did he actually think that your Mum was going to step aside and let some monster kill a child of hers? No good parent would ever do such a thing. To think that even if your Mum had survived, she would not have spent the rest of her days trying to avenge her child’s death was asinine. He does not understand what it is to love someone and to have children, or he would have never thought the plan would work.”

Molly stood up and rushed around the table towards Harry. He looked at her nervously as she ran at him. It almost looked like fear in his eyes; fear that Molly would strike him. Arthur started to wonder if more happened at Harry’s Aunt and Uncle’s house than he told them.

When Molly wrapped her arms around Harry, he seemed unsure what to do for a second, and then he returned Molly’s hug. Arthur stood up also and placed a hand on Harry’s shoulder, while Molly was still hugging Harry.

“Of course we will take care of your children and love them as if they were our own,” he told Harry.

A set of arms wrapped around his waist. He looked down to see Ginny staring up at him. She also looked as if she might start crying any second.

“Thank you, Daddy, you don’t know how happy this makes me.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur stood on the balcony of the room that Molly and he was given for the night. He could hear the festivities in the small town that surrounded the villa, as Ginny called it, winding down. He was sipping on some brandy trying to get his head to stop spinning.

After telling Ginny and Harry they would promise to raise their children if anything would happen to them, Harry started to tell him about the Potter family assets. He and Molly would be partially responsible for running the estate until the children come of age. He could not believe the vast wealth the Potters had accumulated over the ages.

Arthur took a sip of brandy and smiled. It would be difficult not to look down on Malfoy. All those years Malfoy derided him for being poor, and to learn that Malfoy’s wealth isn’t one tenth of what the Potters possess.

Arthur took a sip of his brandy. He should not lower his attitude to be like Lucius. After all, the Potters amassed this wealth by doing good deeds for people and actually living a rather normal life. Tonight was a prime example. It was a three hundred year tradition for the House Elves of this villa to give a feast to the Muggle community surrounding it. Everyone lived on Potter land and paid rent to them. They also loved the owners of the villa and protected them from outsiders. It was like Ginny said earlier. The Muggles actually pay them more than they give the Muggles. It all works for both sides.

Arthur drained his snifter of brandy and was getting ready to go inside, when the moon appeared from behind a cloud high above the Atlas Mountains. He almost choked on his drink.

“Molly, come and look at this,” he shouted for his wife.

Molly came out in a midnight blue cotton nightgown. “What is it Arthur?”

“Do you see what I see,” he asked her pointing at the Mountains.

“What am I supposed to be looking…?” She stopped talking and stared at the moonlight on the mountain.

When the moon was directly above the mountain, it appeared to be a bald man’s head. The light of the moon cast shadows in such a way that the peaks seemed to become its arms extending down to the ground where the crevasses at the base of the mountains appeared to be hands.

“I thought legend said he was supposed to be holding the sky up from the earth,” whispered Molly.

“I am starting to wonder how many legends we thought weren’t real are going to end up being real over the next week.”

“I thought soul bonds were only legends two years ago,” said Molly.

They stood there and stared at the moonlight image of Atlas holding the world up until the moon moved away and the image disappeared.


Back to index


Chapter 10: Some Potter History

Author's Notes: Harry tells the Weasleys about his family history and how they came to be so affluent. This chapter will take a serious turn into the AU category.
I would like to thank my Beta, Leif, for doing a fantastic job with my constant errors.


Harry walked out of his bedroom and looked down from the second floor balcony at Sirius sitting by the fountain reading a large tome and sipping on his morning coffee. Sirius had taken to the local style of coffee which was rather strong and he rarely drank tea anymore. The only time he seemed to drink tea was when he returned to Britain. After spending the past few weeks in England, Harry noticed how different he and Ginny were from the traditional English wizards and witches.

The English wore full length robes, while they wore hooded dragon-hide capes with trousers and long sleeve shirts. He had a set of robes he purchased that day in Diagon Alley, but he never got a chance to try them on. He bonded with Ginny and his physical size changed so radically that they would never fit him. He didn’t think he would like to wear robes because they seem too bulky and cumbersome. He wondered if the English looked at him and thought he looked weird.

Harry made his way down to his godfather. He wondered what type of a night Remus had as it had been a full moon last night. The latest bout of lycanthropy had hit Remus particularly hard. He hadn’t been feeling good for the past two days. Yesterday, he was particularly moody and was experiencing severe body aches. Hopefully this would mean that next month it will be easier on him.

Harry walked up on Sirius without him noticing. “Good Morning Padfoot,” he said loudly.

Sirius jumped at the sound of his voice, but it quickly turned into a smile. “You enjoyed surprising me. Didn’t you?”

“I find the look on your face was worth it.”

“You are so much like your father,” smiled Sirius.

“How was Remus’ night?” Harry asked, while pouring himself a small cup of the strong coffee before sitting at the table.

Sirius seemed to physically sag. “We need to perfect Wolfsbane, so we can help him. I hate seeing him suffering like he does. Those transformations are hell on him,” stated Sirius unnecessarily.

“I know,” replied Harry. “I am trying to brew it to perfection, but we are always a bit off.”

“I keep looking at this book on the Wolfsbane Potion, but Damocles Belby can be rather vague when describing his exact method of brewing the ruddy stuff.” Sirius closed the book with a huff.

“Has Belby published anything else relating to Potions?” asked Harry. “If he had, it might give us a clue on what we are doing wrong.”

Sirius looked at him before breaking out in a large smile. “At times you are as brilliant as your mother and father when you say things like that.”

Harry blushed slightly at his godfather’s praise. He always enjoyed being compared to his parents. From everything he has been told, his parents had both been excellent students. He wished right now he had his mother’s natural ability to brew Potions better than anyone in her year. Wolfsbane would help Remus with the effects of the full moon and help with the painful transformation. He often felt inadequate for not being able to brew it properly.

“I guess you know what your next Potions assignment will be,” said Sirius with a smile.

“Will that be instead of my preparation for my NEWTs or in addition to them?” asked Harry.

“Rather cheeky talking to your professor that way,” laughed Sirius. “That will be in addition to your NEWT studies.”

“NEWT studies?” asked Molly Weasley. “Are you really studying for your NEWTs?”

Molly Weasley had approached them silently. For a large woman she was able to move about rather gracefully and silently.

“We have them studying sixth and seventh year subjects already,” said Sirius proudly.

“You must do nothing but study all day long,” she said. She looked a little concerned. “Don’t you ever get a chance to just relax and enjoy life?”

“If I don’t learn enough, I won’t be alive to enjoy life for very long,” replied Harry. It was true, but he must have said it too harshly, because Mrs. Weasley became rather teary-eyed.

“Enough talk like that, you are young and just married. You shouldn’t be concerned about fighting dark wizards. You should be thinking about a career, starting a family, and finding a place for your home.”

Her comment made Harry realize that those should be the most important things in his life. Not trying to stay alive long enough to start a family, or having everyone he cared about getting killed. He wanted to tell her that that life wasn’t possible for him, but he kept silent.

“What do you want for breakfast?” asked Mrs. Weasley.

“If we are going to Egypt, we need to eat something light. The traditional English fry-up will make us sick to the stomach,” said Sirius.

“Oh nonsense, everyone needs a good breakfast,” protested Molly. She looked around at the doors leading into the villa. “Is that door the one to the kitchen?”

“Yes, it is,” answered Harry.

“I’ll be back in a flash,” she said, as she walked towards the kitchen.

Harry sat there and stared at her. Without a doubt Ginny got her stubborn streak from her mother. He wondered if that was where Ginny also got her desire to have a family so soon. He wanted children, but he wanted to defeat Voldemort first. Ginny’s desire to start a family made him wonder if she thought he wasn’t going to be able to defeat Voldemort.

Ever since they discovered about Horcruxes and how that could be the reason Voldemort was still alive, they planned on destroying them before Voldemort regained his body. Harry would then never need to face off against Voldemort in mortal combat. Ginny must not believe that is possible anymore.

“Hey, little Prongs, what are you so concerned about?” asked Sirius.

“Nothing, nothing at all,” replied Harry.

“Yeah, you really convinced me,” said Sirius sardonically.

“Ginny, she wants to start a family right now,” he whispered to his godfather.

Sirius threw his head back and let out a loud barking laugh. “Everyone in the villa knew you two had done the deed on your honeymoon night.”

Harry felt his face become extremely warm. “How — how did you know?”

“You two shook the entire villa, mate,” laughed Sirius with an exaggerated wink.

Harry became even more embarrassed. “So-sorry, I didn’t realize.”

“You remember that as you and Ginny strengthen your bond, you emit magical energy. That was what shook the villa. Didn’t you notice the torch sconces?”

Harry looked at his godfather strangely. He looked at the sconces around the interior of the villa. They all looked in good shape. “I don’t see anything wrong with them.”

“Look around them. All the walls and ceilings are charred. They are Charmed to burn, but because it was an active spell you and Ginny’s actions increased the power of the Charm. They all flared up and charred the surrounding walls.”

Harry stared at the sconces. Sirius was right. There was a blackened area of wall around all the sconces. “I wonder what else we disturbed?” he whispered under his breath.

“Nothing that you need to worry about, mate,” reassured Sirius. “Why are you so concerned about starting a family with Ginny?”

“I am not concerned about starting a family as much as I am concerned about why she wants a family right now. I almost get the feeling that she doesn’t think I will win. She asked her parents to care for our children if we died. Why would she do all that if she thought I was going to come out of this victorious?”

“Her entire family was nearly wiped out two days ago. Give her time to reflect on the near deaths in her own way. Give her time to grow, Harry. She is still only eleven.”

“Yeah, a very fit eleven year old,” Harry whispered into his coffee cup.

“What was that?” asked Sirius.

“Yes, what was that thought, dear?” asked Ginny from the balcony.

Harry blushed partly because of his thoughts about Ginny and also that she heard those thoughts. In many ways, he hated how she could do that. To keep her from knowing his thoughts he had to keep his Occlumency shields up at all times.

“Good morning Father,” shouted Ginny across the open courtyard.

“Good morning to you, and how is Mrs. Potter this morning?” he asked cheerfully, as he closed the door to his bedroom.

“I am wonderful,” responded Ginny. “Good morning Percy.”

Percy had emerged from his bedroom two doors from Arthur and Molly.

“Percy, please get the rest of your brothers up, I think I smell Molly cooking breakfast,” said Arthur.

Percy was standing directly above the door leading the dining room and kitchens. He took an exaggerated inhale and smiled. “I believe Mum is. I will try to get them up, Father.”

While all this was happening Ginny had descended the stairs and had reached Harry. She bent down and gave him a warm kiss. “So you think I am rather fit, do you,” she whispered to him as she broke the kiss.

Harry was left blushing again. Sirius broke out in a loud barking laugh at his embarrassment. Ginny had poured herself a cup of coffee and sat down beside Harry. She placed her hand on his knee and stared into his eyes. She had such loving brown eyes and Harry was getting lost in them.

A crash of falling metal and breaking plates was heard from the dining room area.

“Molly,” shouted Arthur.

“I am fine,” she said appearing from the dining room. “My Levitation spell went a little wonky.” She disappeared back into the dining room.

Harry and Ginny stared at each other for a second, before putting space between them.

“Mr. Black,” said Arthur addressing Sirius.

“Oh please don’t call me Mr. Black. It is either Sirius or Padfoot, but never Mr. Black.”

“Very well, Sirius, I would like to thank you for paying off my bill for the rental. I will repay you as soon as I get the money saved up, or do you want regular payments?”

Sirius looked confused for a minute, before responding. “Arthur, I am Harry’s godfather. Part of the expense of the wedding should have been mine. So I will not accept any payments from you. It is what family does for each other.”

Sirius had stood up and extended his hand to Arthur. Both men shook hands. Arthur looked a little emotional about what Sirius said.

“Well I must go and see if Molly needs any help.”

Sirius watched Arthur walk away, before turning and staring at Harry. He sat down and whispered. “I think someone has been hitting the Polyjuice without permission.”

“I couldn’t let him pay for that marquee and the chairs,” responded Harry.

“What, how did you do that?” asked a shocked Ginny. “Why didn’t I know about it?”

“I left early yesterday morning while everyone was asleep. I used Occlumency shields on my thoughts.”

Sirius looked like he was going to change into Padfoot and bite Harry. “Don’t do that again,” he hissed. “It was extremely dangerous. No one knew where you were and if you would have been caught, we weren’t there to save your sorry arse.”

“I went out as you,” pleaded Harry.

“Exactly! Don’t you think they would have wanted to capture me to find out where you were?”

Harry had never even thought about that. All he remembered was the dejected look on Arthur and Molly’s face as the marquee burnt to the ground. He knew they had spent nearly all their savings on the wedding. “I was only trying to help. I wasn’t sure how he was going to explain how everything was burnt down. So I went to the place and paid it all off and gave them a plausible story.”

Harry looked at Ginny for support but she looked even angrier than Sirius. “If you wanted to do that, you could have sent Sirius. You didn’t have to sneak around and do it yourself,” she snapped at him.

“I wasn’t sure he would agree to the story,” said Harry defeated.

“What did you tell the rental people?” asked Sirius.

Harry stared at Sirius and then Ginny. He looked for a supportive face, but only thing he saw was anger. He took a deep breath. “I told the bloke at the store that you drank too much Firewhiskey and burnt the marquee down when you tried shooting fireworks out of your wand,” he said dejectedly.

Sirius’s eyes twinkled with mischief and the corner of his mouth twitched but the frown remained. “He believed you?”

“Yeah, he didn’t even question it,” said Harry.

Sirius placed his hand over his mouth for a second, before he pointed at Harry. “Don’t do it again.”

“Yes, I second that opinion you prat,” added Ginny.

Harry looked between them waiting to see if they were done chastising him. Ginny was staring at her coffee and Sirius was looking everywhere, but at Harry.

Up on the balcony, the Weasley boys were all appearing from their rooms. They looked as if they would prefer to remain in bed. They were bleary-eyed and still pulling their robes on and straightening them.

Molly stepped out of the dining room doors. “Come along boys, breakfast is ready. You too Ginny,” she said smiling at her. There was a thundering of feet as the previously groggy boys all came awake and raced to the dining room.

“Well let’s get some nosh,” said Sirius. “I am glad I found out what I did at the reception. It would have been quite a surprise when everyone took the mickey out of me.”

Harry laughed and stood up and helped Ginny out of her chair.

“I am still angry with you,” she told him.

Harry fake bowed to her before following her to the dining room. Sirius seemed to find his bow amusing, and put an arm around Harry’s shoulders as they walked. The dining room was loud and noisy. All the Weasleys were in there and had started to eat. They all greeted the three of them between bites of food and grabbing food off the serving platters.

Ginny, Sirius, and Harry all sat together by Mr. Weasley. Harry stared at the food. It was all heavy food that might make everyone sick if they got out in the heat. He took a couple pieces of toast and some eggs. He looked around and Ron was stuffing his face with sausage, bacon, and eggs.

“Harry, I would like to Owl the Ministry and tell them that I need to take some time off,” said Mr. Weasley. “How would I do that, and how long should I ask for?”

“Do you have to work today?” asked Bill.

“I was scheduled to work, so I need to send an Owl soon.”

Harry was caught off guard by the question. It was something that he had never considered.

“Why don’t you take my parents to the vault, and Dad can Owl the Ministry from there,” suggested Bill.

Harry thought about the suggestion. He was going to try to explain his family history to the Weasleys. It might be a good thing to go to the vault today.

“Sure, we can go to the vault. I can show you my family history stored there,” said Harry.

“Which vault is that dear?” asked Molly.

“The one in Gringotts,” said Ginny.

“That huge one we saw when we came here?” asked Ron. “Can we come too?”

The noisy room became silent as everyone stared at Harry and Ginny. He didn’t know what to do. He looked at Ginny who was staring back at him.

“What do you think, love,” he asked his wife. She looked at him, but he could tell she was thinking and trying to sense what everyone would feel and do. She turned to look at everyone.

“You can go, but you must promise not to tell anyone about what you see in there,” she demanded of her family.

“What is in there?” asked Arthur.

“Nothing bad, actually it is all very impressive,” interjected Bill. “It would be best if all you ever said about it was it was large, filled with treasures, and family artifacts.”

“Nothing dark and dangerous?” asked Molly.

“No nothing like that, it is mostly things that have been kept secret for generations. I would like it to be kept secret,” said Harry.

“Charlie, can you keep the Potters’ secrets,” Arthur asked his second oldest.

“Sure,” said Charlie. “Who would I tell my dragons?”

“Percy?”

“Yes, Father, I promise.”

“Fred and George?”

“Why do you always ask him first?”

“Because, I am a natural leader and better looking.”

“Not bloody likely…,”

“Boys,” shouted Molly.

“Yes, we promise,” they said in unison.

“Ron?”

“Yeah, what would be so important in there anyway? The vault is practically impossible to get to. It isn’t like anyone would ever be able to get into it,” grumbled Ron.

“Molly and I will keep your secrets,” Arthur said to them.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Everyone stepped out of the vault used for transportation into the chamber with Gringotts' and Potter’s vaults. The six guard goblins turned to look at them. They acknowledged Harry and company before turning away again.

Ginny walked over to the guard goblins, and handed the nearest one her father’s letter. “Please have this sent to the Ministry,” she said politely to one of them.

The Goblin walked to the metal door separating the vaults from the rest of the cavern. He opened the door and handed a goblin on the outside the owl post and repeated the instructions in Gobbledygook.

After the Owl was sent, Harry turned to the door of his vault. He placed his hand on the door's surface. Nothing happened for several seconds, and then it shifted with a grinding noise, before sliding upwards exposing the contents.

“The records and family history is over here,” Harry said over his shoulder, as he walked to the right side of the vault.

“You can go in,” said Ginny.

Harry turned when he heard Ginny speaking. Her entire family except for Bill was standing and staring open mouthed at the vault. They were evidently overwhelmed at the sight of his family’s fortune. He remembered how shocked he was, so he decided to wait patiently for them to get over their shock. Ginny and Bill were smiling at their family.

There was a sound of a bell and a pile of galleons appeared in the vault. It was probably three or four hundred galleons in the stack. It appeared on the top of what looked to be a golden wall almost five feet high six feet deep and twenty to thirty feet long, and it was made out of galleons. Harry had a hard time remembering the timing of payments from the people leasing the land and buildings he now owned.

“There must be five hundred Galleons in that stack,” said Mr. Weasley in awe.

“Three hundred and forty-five,” Bill said reading a scroll that came out of one wooden box and dropped down the wall and wound itself into a second wooden box. “This is the ledger for all deposits and withdrawals from this vault.” He smiled at Harry. “I forgot you owned that building. Rather ironic, I think.”

“What are you talking about?,” asked Harry. He was clueless what building Bill was referring to.

“Why you own the building that houses the Magical Wedding Supply and Rental Company,” Bill said with a laugh.

“You own property in Diagon Alley?” asked Fred or George.

Harry wasn’t sure he could tell them apart. The only time he knew which one was which was when one of the Weasleys called their names. There were a couple of times he thought the wrong one answered, but he wasn’t going to say anything.

“He owns Diagon Alley,” answered Bill. “Why do you think Gringotts was there? The Potters own the land Diagon Alley was built on and half the buildings built on it.”

“You can give us a shop for our seventeenth birthday,” begged one of the twins.

“We have so many plans to improve the joke industry,” said the other.

“All we need is a store front and we could put Zonkos out of business in a year,” they said together.

“Why would he agree to that,” laughed Sirius. “The Potter family owns Zonkos and the building it is in.”

The twins snapped their heads around from looking at Sirius to staring at Harry. “Your family owns Zonkos?” they almost shouted.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. It was strange to know that he had so much wealth, and yet the first eleven years of his life he lived being treated like a beggar.

“Mum, Dad do you want to see my family history?” He called his in-laws Mum and Dad by Ginny’s request. She knew they would appreciate being called that. She was right. Both her parents beamed proudly at him.

“Of course son,” gushed Molly.

“Can I listen too?” asked Percy.

“Yeah, I would like to hear where your family obtained all this wealth,” said Charlie.

“Charlie, be polite,” admonished Molly.

“I am, but Mum. There more galleons in this one vault than probably in three-quarters of the vaults in Gringotts bank combined. How does one come by so much wealth?”

Another bell rang and a pile of galleons appeared on the wall of galleons. It was larger than the first pile that had appeared.

“Harry just made more money in the last two minutes, than Dad makes in a year,” said Charlie shaking his head.

“Charlie, enough,” demanded Mr. Weasley. “Harry, I apologize for my son.”

“No need to do that, Dad. I didn’t bring you here to make you feel bad or anything. This is where we keep the records of my family.”

Arthur looked at him and placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “I know you didn’t. I knew you were wealthy. I had no idea how wealthy. Harry, I never felt judged by you. So many wealthy families look down on me and my family because we don’t have much, but I never felt that coming from you.

“Now, I would like to hear about your family history. I have always known of the Potter family, but not a lot of details.”

“We will stay here with Ronnie-kins,” shouted Fred or George. “We will make sure that no one steals from your vault. That goblin out there on the end looks rather shifty.”

“Don’t you three touch anything,” shouted Molly.

Harry smiled as Ginny activated a security Charm. It was a subtle wand movement, but the Charm would prove hilarious if the twins and Ron tried anything.

“Follow me and don’t touch anything even by accident,” said Harry.

“Why?” asked Percy.

“Security, I’ll explain later,” Harry said with a smile.

He turned and walked towards an ancient desk that was built into a set of bookshelves. He walked up to the shelves, found the giant leather bound book with his family history, and pulled it from the shelves. He laid it on the desk.

“All right, the reason why you can’t touch anything unless I give it to you,” whispered Harry. “Ginny activated one of our security Charms. Unless she or I hand you something, anything you touch in this vault will create a Permanent Sticking Charm from you to the floor.”

“Can you teach me that Charm?” asked Charlie. “I could have a lot of fun with a galleon on the street.”

Harry laughed as he thought about people bending over to pick up a galleon only to get stuck to the galleon.

“Sorry, I know how to activate and deactivate. I don’t know how to cast it,” he replied. “Let’s get back to why we are here, my family history.”

“Harry, that book says Peverell, not Potter,” said Percy.

“That was my original ancestors’ names. It was changed later to escape persecution.”

“Persecution?” asked a puzzled Arthur.

“Yes, but let me start at the beginning and work my way forward. There will be some gaps in the chronology, but there is nothing we can do now.

“My original ancestors were the Peverell brothers. You heard of them from the stories of the Beedle the Bard. They were known as the Three Brothers.” Harry hesitated as the Weasleys reacted to his statement. He didn’t wait for them to comment.

“The story wasn’t true though. They never met Death on a bridge. They were three powerful wizards who had escaped death during the Dark Ages. After all, if the third brother had taken Death’s Invisibility Cloak, people would be able to see Death coming.” He tried to make a joke, but saw that no one was laughing. Clearing his throat he continued on.

“My direct ancestor was the youngest who created the Invisibility Cloak, Ignotus. The eldest was Antioch. He had studied wand making and created a powerful wand, which later became known as the Death Stick. The middle brother, Cadmus, worked with an enchanted stone….”

“The Resurrection Stone?” asked Arthur.

“Yes, the story isn’t exactly accurate. The brothers had developed these magical objects to help them survive during the dark ages as they traveled about Europe, Asia, and Africa trying to uncover all the various types of magic in the world.

“According to Ignotus’ writing about those travels, many groups of magical people were not accepting of others. Deadly battles routinely broke out when they came upon these groups. Antioch was the warrior of the three. Cadmus would use the stone to call upon a deceased friend that he trusted to investigate if there were any necromancers in the new group they found. He could also use his contact with the dead to impress the necromancers they met. Ignotus was their forward scout.”

“Necromancy, I thought that was a rare Dark Art,” interjected Percy.

“During the ninth century it wasn’t uncommon, particularly in many remote areas of eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa. In the more populated areas, the magical community shied away from necromancy. They still had many confrontations, before Antioch was defeated in Spain.

“After his death Cadmus and Ignotus returned to England. They had spent ten years exploring the world. The brothers married and settled down to raise their families.”

Harry stopped talking and smiled at the information he had learned from this journal started by his ancestor.

“Ignotus had bought land just outside of the town of London. Cadmus moved to Scotland, where Hogsmeade is now located.”

“It was Ignotus’ son Petyr that saved the Gringotts family of goblins from being murdered. However, maybe the most ironic part of the two remaining brothers’ significance, was who their daughters married. Ignotus’s daughter Elizabeth married Gregory Gryffindor. Cadmus’s daughter Gwyneth married Lorci Slytherin. You would not believe who their children were,” he said sardonically.

“Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were cousins,” smiled Arthur.

“Second cousins,” said Harry with a smile. “I think even Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff were distantly related. That is for another discussion. I want to get back to the descendants of Ignotus Peverell. Petyr had rescued the first Grins Gringotts from being murdered, by using his fathers’ Invisibility Cloak. They had also invited the Goblin and his family to live on their estate on the outskirts of London.

“Gringotts bank is actually the original manor house for the Peverell family. Ginny and I own all the land that Diagon Alley sits on and we collect rent from all the businesses located there.”

“No wonder you are so bloody wealthy,” said Charlie.

“There are other reasons that occurred several years later and relates to those suits of armor,” he said pointing back towards the entrance of the vault.

“The Peverells were also friendly with Muggles. Even though they were not of noble birth, they were accepted by the British nobles. Ignotus had formed a relationship with the local lords when he purchased Diagon Estates. They even had Muggle serfs working for them.

“Several generations later, western Europe started to organize against the Moors. They started fighting crusades against them. When Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus were traveling, they had fought against Moor sorcerers. They were fighting in Spain when Antioch had died. Two hundred years later, Francis Peverell joined the crusades armed with the knowledge that they would meet sorcerers.

“Even though the crusades were organized with the blessing of the Vatican, the lords and the knights looked the other way when Francis used magic to protect them. Four nobles invited Francis to join them as they formed a special group of fighters called the Knights Templar. That suit of armor was his.” He pointed to the battered suit of armor with the white tunic adorned with a red cross. They had walked from the desk to the suits of armor by the entrance.

“Whose armor were these other suits?” asked Arthur.

“Yeah, I would like to know that,” shouted Fred.

“I also want to know. We are a couple of inquiring minds,” said George.

Harry looked over at them and started to laugh. They were stuck to the pile of galleons. Fred was turned around looking like he tried to hide his stuck hand behind his back. George stood like he was casually leaning against the galleons. It looked strange that he didn’t stand up, until Harry noticed his arse was stuck to the galleons also. Ron though had both hands and his right knee stuck to the galleons.

Ginny was giggling like a girl at the sight of her brothers. All the Weasleys including the three stuck to the galleons were soon laughing along. Harry enjoyed hearing the entire family laughing. He had always worried that he had ruined Ginny’s relationship with her family.

“What do you think, love?” asked Ginny. “Should we release them or leave them here for a while longer. They do look rather nice, almost like moving statues.”

“We have natural artistic abilities,” teased Fred.

Ginny waved her wand and her brothers were released. George wasn’t ready for the spell to be released and slipped pulling hundreds of galleons down on top of him. Fred and Ron laughed at him.

“I should be upset by this situation, but considering I am covered in gold, I find it rather nice,” said George placing his hands behind his head. He looked like he was lying in bed with a golden blanket over him.

Ginny waved her wand and the galleons flew back into neat stacks leaving George lying on the ground without his golden covering.

“You were always a spoil sport, Gin-Gin,” complained George.

“Harry, you were explaining about how your family obtained its fortune, before those three interrupted us,” huffed Percy.

Harry smiled at Percy. He had been completely engrossed with everything Harry had said about his family.

“The Knights Templar grew from the stories of their successes in battles. The Vatican gave them special status in Europe. They were above all the Kings in Europe and they could move across all the lands. Soon afterwards, the Templars started to offer the nobles moving through Europe to the Crusades, in Iberia and the Middle East, banking services. A noble would deposit their gold with the Templars and receive a parchment stating how much gold they deposited. The noble could then present the parchment and receive gold from another Templar banking location. His balance would be updated with each withdrawal. There was of course a small fee for these services.

“Francis’ son, Geoffery, created the small vault used for transporting gold from one bank to another. It was also during this time that Geoffery discovered many of the places that we have as estates. The Peverell’s purpose with the Knights Templar changed to being bankers instead of fighters. They were able to move gold around Europe and the Mediterranean.

“The Templars kept collecting treasure from knights, nobles, and even Kings as they went off to war. Soon most of the wealth in Europe was held by the Templars. Kings became jealous and even the Vatican was becoming worried that the Templars would become a threat to their control. The Templars were a large army and the wealthiest organization in Europe.

“On October 13, 1307, King Phillip of France, by order of the Pope, arrested and began executing all the known Templar Knights. He also tried to reclaim the treasure. King Phillip’s father had borrowed heavily from the Templars to fund an army to reach the Middle East leaving France bankrupt. Percival had collected these suits of armor from the King of France as collateral for the loan.

“The Knights Templar ceased to exist. Percival Peverell distributed gold to many of the surviving members. The rest ended up here,” he waved his hand around the vault.

“But, when did they change the name to Potter,” asked Molly.

“On October 14, 1307, Percival cast a charm similar to the Fidelius on the name Peverell. Anyone who knew them would forget their names. The name Peverell disappeared from all records relating to the Knights Templar. We even checked in Muggle records and they stated five nobles started the organization. They only knew the name of four of them. The fifth was forgotten.”

“Bloody Hell,” said Charlie. He was scratching at the one ornate suit of armor. “This looks like gold plate on this armor.”

“It probably is. It was a King’s armor after all,” said Harry with a smile. “You can’t have a King wearing something drab like steel.”

The sound of the steel door creaking open caught everyone’s attention. They turned and saw an outside goblin handing a parchment to one of the goblins on the inside of the door. That one in turn walked to Ginny and handed the parchment off. She handed it to her father. Mr. Weasley unrolled it and read it slowly.

“Well, Weasleys it looks like I have the rest of the week off.” The patriarch announced joyfully. There was a loud cheer echoing off the stone walls of the vault.

“Why don’t we go to Egypt,” suggested Ginny. “We can fill them in as to why the Potter family is so important to Goblins and House Elves.”

“Before we go, I have a question about something I saw back in the vault,” announced Charlie. “It was on the other side of the desk the Peverell History was on.”

Harry looked at Ginny and Bill. What Charlie requested could reveal more than they had wanted to let people know. There was an uncomfortable moment as the three of them looked at each other.

“Charlie, what could be so important,” questioned Molly.

He shifted on his feet as everyone’s eyes were on him.

“I saw four chests with the markings of the Hogwarts houses,” said Charlie quietly.

Harry took a deep breath. They were never clear how much they should tell them. He trusted Charlie wouldn’t tell. The person he was worried about was Ron. Would he blab all over Hogwarts? He looked at Ginny for guidance. She was standing there concentrating. He assumed she was trying to determine if they could trust her family. Her nose was scrunched up as she concentrated. Harry thought she looked adorable and wanted to kiss her nose.

“They are from the four founders,” said Ginny as she opened her eyes. “These are the things we are most worried about people finding out they are down here. Voldemort wants them for his collection, and we don’t want to give them to him.”

Her entire family cringed a little at the mention of Voldemort.

“Why would he want them?” asked Ron.

“He wanted to beat the best. He wanted to have control over the original founders. He could use some of the artifacts to grow more powerful,” Ginny said to her brother.

“Can we see it, please,” begged Charlie.

“What has piqued your interest?” asked Bill.

Charlie looked at Harry and Ginny. “I have always heard that Godric Gryffindor had a magnificent sword, but no one knew where it was. I was wondering if you had it down here.”

“It is down here, but it isn’t with the other artifacts in the chest,” said Harry.

“What?” said Charlie with a confused look on his face? “It is down here, but not in the chests?”

Harry bent over and reached down into the top of his left boot. He felt the grip of the sword appear from its magically expanded sheath. Standing up and pulling on the sword removing it from his boot. The magnificent sword gleamed in the dim light of the vault.

“I carry it with me,” Harry said to a wide-eyed Charlie.

He laid the sword across both his hands for Charlie to look at. Everyone else crowded around to look at it. Charlie stared at the sword and he even reached out, but didn’t touch it.

“Absolutely bloody amazing,” gasped Charlie.

The rest of the family muttered similar comments. Harry was amazed that no one tried to take the sword from him. He carefully placed the sword back into his boot. Even a small cut from it could be deadly.

“Do all of you have swords in your boots?” asked Ron.

Bill and Sirius laughed at the question. Ginny reached down and pulled out a dagger. It was made by the goblins like Gryffindor’s sword, but the blade was only six inches long. In the pommel was a large yellow topaz and the grip was made from onyx.

“Rowena Ravenclaw’s,” Ginny said.

“I never knew about a dagger,” said a surprised Molly. “What else do you have of the founders down here and how did you get it?”

“I thought you spent the last two years studying, not hunting up artifacts,” said Percy.

Harry really didn’t want to get into prophecies, but Percy left him no choice. “We have the artifacts down here, because of the seer, Trelawney.

“I see something dark in your future,” Charlie, Fred, and George all said in unison.

Bill and Percy smiled at the comment. The rest just stared at them.

“Sybil Trelawney is a fraud of a Divination Professor at Hogwarts. She always predicts that something dark will happen in half the students’ future. The only thing dark is when they go to sleep at night,” Percy said with disdain.

“Harry is talking about the ancestor of Professor Trelawney,” said Bill. “She lived several hundred years ago and was a renowned seer. After she realized that she couldn’t remember any of her own prophecies, she had an assistant follow her around and record them. We have the book back there.”

“The Prophecy that caused the Potters and Gryffindors to collect the artifacts of the founders was one that read: Darkness shall arise and consume our world. It will come from our four foundations, and use one to destroy the others. Only a bond of the three can save the light.”

“What does that mean and what does it have to do with the founders?” asked Ron.

Bill chuckled at his younger brother. “The four foundations are the four founders of Hogwarts, and the one to destroy the other three was Slytherin.”

“We are descendants of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, even though some of us don’t show it,” teased Ginny.

“I am Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, and some Ravenclaw,” said Harry. “We are all related to the four founders in some degree.”

“So you and Ginny must destroy He-who-must-not-be-named,” said Ron.

Harry stared at him and the rest of the Weasley’s. “Voldemort heard a prophesy that said I would be able to defeat him with a power he knows not.” He reached over and brushed his hand down Ginny’s cheek. “I feel that our bond is the power he knows not.”

Back to index


Chapter 11: What a Library

Author's Notes: Ginny takes her family to Egypt after leaving the Vault at Gringotts.
I would like to thank Seekers Destiny for Betaing this chapter.


I hope no one is afraid of ghosts,” said Ginny, as she smiled at her family. They had just transported from the London’s Gringotts to Egypt’s.

They were all staring at her with blank expressions. They had all been at Hogwarts and were used to the ghosts there. However, these ghosts were different. She just hoped none of her brothers become too cheeky with the guards, or they may need to do some emergency repair work on them.

They had arrived at Egypt only a few seconds ago, but already the icy air was creeping through the door into the vault making it unbearably cold. Her family was pulling their robes tighter to them and shivering. Their breath was forming a mist in the icy cold air.

“I thought Egypt is supposed to be unbearable hot?” asked Percy.

“Outside it is, but we are deep underground,” said Bill.

“I say we get outside,” said Charlie. He said it as though he was trying to get people to all cheer in approval of his idea.

“All right, but be respectful of the ghosts,” said Ginny.

She pushed on the steel door that separated them from the catacombs of the Library of Alexandria. A creak of protest from the hinges, and the door swung open exposing hundreds of ghosts standing in the hallway.

They all turned and formed a phalanx. They were blocking anyone from exiting the vault. To prevent anyone getting past them, they all brandished short spears with broad bronze tips and a curved bronze blade on their hips.

“Bloody hell,” said several of her brothers in unison.

“They can’t actually stop us can they?” asked Percy. “They are just ghosts.”

“Yes and no,” said Bill. “They can actually stop you, and no they are not exactly ghosts. They are spectral images bound to protect the library.”

“The Potter’s employ ghosts like this to protect their personal library?” asked Arthur.

“No we don’t,” stated Harry.

“These soldiers were sworn to protect this library for all eternity,” said Ginny. “They were here for centuries before the Potters found it. The Peverell brothers came here on their journey. Cadmus took a stone from these very walls to create the Resurrection Stone,” said Ginny.

Her father looked around at the spectral images moving about. “If what you are telling me is correct, the stone from these walls can be used to resurrect dead souls.”

“That is partially correct,” said someone from outside of the vault.

He was a tall regal looking ghost. He wore a gold helmet, a bronze breast plate, and cloth of bleached cotton fabric. Ginny recognized him as the high priest, when the library was supposed to have been sacked the first time.

“This museum of magical knowledge was threatened centuries ago by Hellenic invaders. I was charged with protecting it from destruction. They attacked so swiftly and with such great numbers that I couldn’t repel them, so I was forced into drastic measures. Not only was I responsible for the protection of knowledge I was a student of it. I cast spells that created this very hall. The stone that makes up the walls keeps my army at the ready for all of eternity. As the Spartans and the Athenians killed my warriors, they reappeared here. Soon I had no soldiers to kill, but an army that couldn’t be killed. The Hellenic forces believed that they destroyed this place, but it was only a spell that I cast.

“On other occasions, powerful sorcerers had discovered this museum. Twice I had to destroy the soldiers and cloud the minds of their leaders so they believed they had destroyed this treasure of knowledge. The non-magical people thought that there had been some great fire that partially destroyed the library when first the Hellenic than the Roman sorcerers attacked with their armies.

“The Peverells were different. They came to learn and preserve. They had brought with them copies of magical texts from far distant land. They allowed us to keep the information here. It was for that reason they were allowed to leave with the knowledge they had gained.

“The line continues to respect knowledge and keep the secret of this museum, until now,” he said staring at Harry then Ginny.

“They are my family,” responded Ginny. “I brought them here to understand what it means to be a Potter.”

“The Peverell’s have shouldered a burden for years,” said the High Priest. “Can these others also bear the weight of knowledge without revealing it to those who are unworthy of it? They are wand wavers.”

“They know no other way,” said Harry. “Knowledge of the ancient ways has been forgotten.”

“Why do you call us wand-wavers?” asked Arthur. “All magicians used wands.”

“No, not all,” replied the High Priest. “There are many things that can be accomplished with potions and spoken spells. The wand was invented and perfected for one reason, to kill. We could cast spells over an adversary, but it took the wand to actually take their life with magic.”

The High Priest grabbed a spear from a soldier beside him. “This is a nobler way to take one’s life than to use a wand and magic.”

“I can assure you that neither I nor anyone in my family has ever taken one’s life with a wand,” answered Arthur. Molly had become nervous and placed a hand on her husband’s arm.

“I can see that you are speaking the truth, but you only know part of the truth about wands. If these Peverells had been educated by your teachers, they would have been unable to create the bond they share? You teach your children that they should only preform magic with a wand. In doing so, you rob them of the subtleties and wonders of ancient magic.”

“We only teach them to use a wand, because that is all we know,” answered Arthur.

“Very well, you may enter with my approval,” stated the High Priest. “You must not take anything out of the restricted areas and you must be respectful of the other creatures’ writings.”

“Other creatures’ writings?” repeated Percy.

“There is a section here that is reserved for goblins and a section reserved for House Elves,” said Bill.

“Goblins and House Elves? Why would they need anything in a library,” asked Ron.

“Do you think Goblins just come into being like you see them at the bank? They must be educated somewhere. There is a section here that is dedicated to them,” stated Bill.

“What about House Elves? They are really just mindless creatures doing others bidding,” replied Ron.

“The ancient Atlantians were an affluent and powerful race until their lands were destroyed,” said the High Priest. “It only took about a generation until they became more and more stooped and mindless. It was rumored that they derived their power from the very structures and buildings on Atlantis. When it was swallowed by the sea, the ones left behind slowly became the decrepit creatures you call House Elves.”

Ginny stared at Ron’s shocked expression. She understood how he felt. She had been raised with certain beliefs about House Elves and goblins. Now she realized that those views were not necessarily true. It would be like judging all wizards by looking at Voldemort and the Death Eaters.

The High Priest gestured for them to follow him as the spectral soldiers parted to allow them to proceed.

“Shall we go?” Ginny asked her family.

They followed her as she walked towards the upper levels of the library. They walked past room after room of catacombs where the dried bones of the spectral soldiers lay. She could hear her family mumbling behind her, but she just kept walking. She assumed Bill, Sirius, and Harry could explain what the rooms were to her parents and family.

They came to a set of marble steps that led up to the next floor of the library. They would need to go up two more floors to reach the ground level before the High Priest would leave them.

After leaving the catacomb level they reached the ancient scroll area. The bitter cold of the catacombs was gone, but they still had not reached the heat of the Egyptian day. She smiled as goblins were walking into their area of the library to the left. She could only imagine what her family was thinking. Their reaction was evident soon, as Harry called for her to stop walking. She turned to see them staring into the area filled with goblins of all ages. Not only was this the main library for goblins throughout the world, but it were also a school for them. Her family was standing there staring at the young goblins.

“Never saw a young goblin before?” she asked them.

“Are they teaching in there?” asked Percy.

“Yes, they are. It is also a school for them,” said Bill. “I never thought about working around here all these years, but they must have young ones and educate them somehow.”

“How fascinating,” said her father?

“Over here is the library for the House Elves,” said Harry.

Everyone looked at that side of the building; the library much smaller than the large expansive room used by the goblins. A marble statue of a tall stately person stood in the doorway. He was wearing clothing similar to the High Priest with a long robe. His head was slightly larger than most people along with his hands and feet. The statue also had pointed ears and a long pointed nose. Behind the statue the room had shelves filled with tubes of tarnished silver and gold. There were only one or two torches burning in the room. One was over a small desk, which had a silver tube laying on it and a scroll unrolled beside the tube.

Ginny saw the lone occupant of the library walk around a set of shelves. He was taller than a House Elf with a more human looking head and hands, but one could also see a resemblance to a House Elf and the statue in the entrance way. He wore the same clothes as the statue, except they seemed too long for him.

“Is that a House Elf?” asked Percy.

“He was and still is the librarian of the Atlantians,” said the High Priest.

“I thought their lands were destroyed and the Atlantians became the House Elves,” replied her Father.

“When the lands were destroyed, he stayed in there. He has not left that room for thousands of years,” said the High Priest.

“How can he survive without food?” asked Molly.

“There is powerful magic protecting the library,” said Harry. “He may be living off the magic of the library. He may actually be the source of the magic. No one knows for sure. No one can enter that room unless they are an Atlantian or House Elf.”

“When I was young and training here,” said the High Priest. “He looked different much like the statue you see of the Atlantian. As year turned to decades, decades turned to centuries, and centuries turned to millennia, his appearance has changed. If he hadn’t then I would conclude that he was a magical image. I was told that the Atlantians were as old as time. They were almost immortal.”

“House Elves get old and die,” said Percy.

“The creatures that you call the House Elves are not the Atlantians. They may have evolved from them, but they are not the same anymore.”

As the High Priest spoke the ancient Atlantian walked to the entrance of the library. He stood there and stared at them with bright pale green eyes. This close it was easy to see his wrinkled skin and the stooped nature of his frame. He was staring at Harry then Ginny with a crooked smile on his wrinkled lips.

Ginny stared back at him. He had only done this twice in the memory of the High Priest. The last time was when Harry and Ginny had first come here and looked into the library. Everyone stood for a minute staring at each other.

“Has he done this often?” asked Percy.

“In all my years, this is only the second time,” said the High Priest.

“When was the first time?” questioned Percy.

“The first time when I and Harry saw him,” said Ginny. She started to feel a little nervous at this Atlantian taking an interest in her and Harry. “Can we move along, it is getting near lunch time and I am hungry?”

They all mumbled a response and turned to walk along. As they passed by the ancient archives of the Egyptians guarded by more spectral soldiers, no one spoke. She could still feel the eyes of that Atlantian Librarian staring at her.

They reached a staircase leading up to the ground main floor of the library. The High Priest stood aside.

“This is as far as I will lead you. My duty remains down here. Be well family Peverell, until we meet again,” he said with a great deal of ceremony.

“Until we meet again,” said Ginny and Harry together.

Ginny and her family ascended the steps to the main floor of the library. The Egyptian heat hit them full force. Ginny had become used to it over the past two years, but her family was used to English weather and they immediately started to look flushed. Her mother started to cast Cooling Charms on their robes. She turned to cast one on Ginny’s but she just shook her head no.

“Bloody Hell,” gasped Percy.

He had noticed where they were standing. There were shelves of manuscript stretching up forty feet tall around them and several hundred feet in every direction. There were scrolls, heavy leather bound books that were hand copied, early forms of printed material, magical and also Muggle books stacked on shelves. There seemed to be no definite pattern to the books as they were all mixed up on the shelves.

“Welcome to the Potter family library,” said Harry.

“I thought your library back in Morocco was large,” said Arthur.

“All our libraries in all our estates are connected. All we need to do is write on a magical parchment at each location and we will receive the corresponding manuscripts or scrolls. You just need to careful what you ask for or you will receive more than you could possibly read in a life time.”

“Many of these books are new. Who bought them all?” asked Percy again.

“The Potter family has contracts with both magical and Muggle publishers. We receive a copy of every book available to be sold. We receive hundreds of books a day. Most of them we will never use, because they are trashy romance novels.”

Ginny’s stomach grumbled loudly announcing to everyone that she was hungry. “My stomach said we need to eat. So follow me.”

She smiled at her Father’s comment about being a true Weasley. She led them through the maze of book shelves to the exit. She could hear the tell-tale sound of weapons clashing in mortal combat. She had never considered the possibility of the goblins training the guards today. It normally didn’t happen more than once a month.

She squinted as she stepped out into the brilliant mid-day Egyptian sun. The heat was rising from the stone and sand in waves distorting her vision. The clang of steel on steel was louder now. She could hear her family asking what the noise was. Bill, Sirius, and Harry weren’t talking right now. She started to move to the right to avoid the amphitheater were the battle was taking place. She wasn’t sure how her family would react to the sight of the tests for guard goblins.

“Is there a sword fight going on over there?” asked Charlie. He turned to the left towards the amphitheater.

“Charlie,” shouted Bill. When Charlie stopped and turned to look at him, Bill continued. “Don’t go over there. The goblins don’t look at things the same as we do.”

“What is going on? You four seem to know something.”

“The goblins are testing two candidates to become a guard goblin,” said Bill.

“Oh, that sounds interesting,” said Percy.

A loud screech of a goblin in pain echoed from the amphitheater. It was followed the unmistakable fall of a heavy ax on flesh and bone. Ginny cringed to hear it. None of her family said anything, but Charlie pulled his wand and took off running.

The entire family followed him. Bill was faster than everyone else and quickly caught Charlie.

“Stop you ruddy idiot,” he growled at his younger brother. “This is a sacred rite of passage for them. We don’t have any right to stop it no matter how barbaric we think it is.”

“What are they doing, son?” asked her Father.

Bill took a deep breath. “The goblins must fight to the death. The winner becomes a guard goblin.”

“They kill each other?” squeaked a shocked Ron.

“Yes,” Bill said softly. “They view it an honor to die that way. They even honor their dead.”

Everyone stood there under the torturous noon day sun. Charlie put his wand away and turned to walk towards the amphitheater. Bill quickly jumped in behind him. “Charlie.”

“I want to see what they do,” he said over his shoulder. “I never realized this type of thing happened. I want to see what is going on. I am not going to try to stop anything.”

Charlie continued to walk around the corner of the library that hid the goblins’ amphitheater, with his entire family in tow. When everyone rounded the corner, they all stopped at the sight of the amphitheater. There were rows of stone benches filled with goblins in armor. The center circle was white sand stained red with the blood of the goblin that failed the test.

“If this is a rite of passage, why wasn’t anyone cheering,” said Ron.

Nearly all of Ginny’s brothers had turned their heads to stare at him. They had noticed that all the goblins in the stands were dead in various states of decay.

“The one’s that lose are placed in the stands to cheer on the next candidates,” said Bill softly.

“They are all dead,” Ron spluttered out.

“Yes, they are,” said Ginny. She was annoyed because everyone was standing and talking. She didn’t want the goblins getting angry at them for watching one of their more sacred rites. She also wanted to get to the dining area and get something to eat. “Can we discuss this over lunch?”

“Yeah, sure,” said Charlie.

Ginny took the lead for her family towards their living space. It was an old temple that had been converted to a small library, before the Peverell’s converted it into the manor house. She walked up the short set of marble steps between two rows of columns twenty feet high and five feet in diameter. It felt like walking through a marble forest. The manor house had only four rooms in it; the large common room, a bath, and two bedrooms. She wondered what the sleeping arrangements were for the three Peverells. Somehow the idea that two of them shared a room seemed a bit creepy.

There was a table in the dark back corner of the courtyard. She could see that the house elves were already placing various types of food and drink on the table. They must have figured that she and Harry would be stopping by to eat.

No one said much of anything as they sat down next to the table. Ginny started to giggle as her family tried to figure out the seating arrangements. They were trying to slide the long bench type seat with one raised arm up to the table. Bill, Sirius, Harry, and she all waited until the family to try to get situated before they sat down. Everyone else treated the lounge chairs as though they were short wide benches. Everyone shared a bench with another member of the family.

Finally, Ginny, and the three other people who had used these before, angled the lounge chairs to the table. They laid down on them so their right arm could reach the table. The shocked looks on their family’s faces were priceless.

“This is weird lying down like this,” complained Ron. “Do the Egyptians actually eat like this?”

“Not all of them, but some still do,” said Bill.

He seemed to enjoy watching his family trying to get comfortable. Ginny was enjoying watching her brothers look uncomfortable, and even to some extent her parents. She still held affection for them, and didn’t want them to be too uncomfortable.

“I want a normal chair,” stated her Mum.

Ginny watched as her Mum tried to transfigure the lounge chair into a normal chair. The spell coming from her wand was weak.

“Harry or Ginny will have to do that for you,” said Sirius.

“Why, what is wrong with my wand,” exclaimed the frustrated Weasley matriarch, as she waved her wand more violently with each casting of a spell.

“Because wands don’t work here,” said Ginny. “Harry, you change them.”

Harry stood up from his lounge chair and raised his hand. One by one the lounge chairs shifted into heavy high backed chairs.

“He was able to do magic. Why wasn’t I?”

“Because, Mum, there is a spell cast over this entire area; library and adjoining grounds. The spell blocks wands from preforming magic,” explained Bill.

“Bloody annoying it is, but it can be useful also,” said Sirius.

“How can it be useful? I see nothing useful about not being able to perform magic,” snapped Molly.

“Only Harry and I can perform magic of any magnitude in this area. The spell also makes the goblin guards out there rather formidable, not to mention the spectral soldiers we encountered, to any wizard trying to overthrow the area,” Ginny said.

“Are we safe here?” asked her Mum.

“As long as there is a Potter in the world we are safe,” said Harry. “The goblins oaths are like law and Gringotts family practically rules the goblin world. If we ever needed a place to hide from Voldemort and his Death Eaters, we would hide here.”

Ginny watch her parents visibly pale and look to each other. Her mum was nearly in tears. She didn’t even need to feel her emotional state to know what she was thinking. To her Ginny and Harry were children and shouldn’t be considering something like setting up safe areas from an army of homicidal maniacs. However, it was a reality for Harry and now also for her.

“We were going to talk to you about Portkeys for the family,” said Bill. “They would bring you to this stronghold, and you would be under the protection of the goblins.”

“Do you think we need them?” asked her Dad.

“It was only two days ago that Death Eaters attacked your home, because they knew Harry was there,” said Sirius. “Your entire family is now endangered.”

“Sirius, don’t talk like that in front of the children,” shouted Molly.

“Why? It is the truth. They need to realize this. All of you will need to be extra cautious while dealing with your friends. You never know whom might be a Death Eater or sympathetic to their cause. I lost two of my best friends, because we were careless.”

“Please don’t scare the children, things are different know,” Molly shouted even louder.

“Think about this, if you don’t want me to tell your children the truth,” hissed Sirius. He stood up and stared at her. “You had a Death Eater living with you and your children for eleven years. If it would have benefited him, he would have turned you all over to Voldemort.”

The entire room went silent after Sirius’s statement. No one was eating they were all sitting there staring at the platters of food. Ginny looked around at them all and felt their uncertainty and vulnerability. It bothered her to feel her family like this, but it was necessary to get them to realize how real this impending war was and they were in the middle of it.

“I have a question,” said Charlie breaking the heavy silence that blanketed the room.

“What do you want to know?” replied Harry.

“If the only thing that is keeping the goblins under control is the pact between the Potter and Gringotts family, what will happen if Harry is killed?” Everyone stared shifting in their seats.

“Charlie, please be polite,” ordered his Mum.

“This is not the time to be polite. It is time to be straight forward and honest. How safe would it be for this family to be here at this compound if there are no more Potters? If what I have been hearing is correct, if Harry or Ginny die the other will die shortly after.”

“Charlie please,” shouted his Mum.

“He is right Mum,” said Harry calmly. “The Gringotts are bound to the Potter family. However, they also realize that if Voldemort would take control over the magical world they would be hunted like wild animals and killed ruthlessly. Having the goblins on your side would increase your chances of winning the war, but they would also extract a high payment for the support. They may be brutal by our standards, but they do value honor and honesty highly.”

The table once again fell into an uncomfortable silence. Ginny sat there and tried to sort through the various feelings. It was hard to get past her Mother’s instinct of protecting her children against all pains and injuries. There was a sense of fear in everyone, but there was also a sense of determination. It heartened her to feel her family coming together like they seemed to be.

“Can I discuss something else?” asked Ron.

Everyone chuckled at his comment. It was just enough to relieve the heavy tension in the room.

“Sure Ron, what do you want to know?” asked Harry.

“What is this stuff and how are we supposed to eat it?” Ron was looking at the various foods on platters before him. There were pocket breads, seared meat, vegetables, hummus, olives, and dates laid out for him to eat.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny snuggled in closer to Harry. It was very warm in their room, but she didn’t care. She wanted to hold her husband close to her. They laid there without saying anything for a long time. It was moments like this that amazed her most about being bonded to someone. You didn’t need to do anything or say anything to be gloriously happy and content. At night, before they would go to sleep, they just laid next to each other, with Ginny basking in the happiness coming from Harry.

A smile stretched across her face as she felt Harry’s breathing slow and become deeper. She would many times wait for him to fall asleep first, but her smile tonight was for something else.

This day had been a whirlwind of activity. It started out with them in Morocco and then they went to London so Harry could tell her family about the Potter family history. They then came here to Egypt and learned more about the importance of the Potter family to keeping the peace in the magical world.

Lunch was extremely tense, but the afternoon was very enjoyable. Bill took everyone to see some of the tombs he had opened as a curse-breaker. They took a magic carpet tour or several ancient sites, before everyone except her parents had a pickup game of Quidditch out in the Sahara Desert.

Tomorrow they will be going to Turkey to see the sprawling complex they have there. By the end of the week they were going to visit Spain, France, and finish up in England, by going from one estate to another. She hopes her family enjoys the rest of the time like they did this afternoon.

She was getting ready to close her eyes, but a feeling of despair caught her attention. Sitting up she tried to reach out and feel where it was coming from. She could sense it was Ron and he was sitting in the great room by himself.

Easing away from her husband, she slid out of bed, grabbed her house coat, and started towards her brother. Her bare feet were silent on the marble floor. The only sound she made was the soft whisper of her silk house coat. She entered the great room and sensed Ron sitting at the table on the far side; the feeling of misery washing off him in waves. She had been concerned about him recovering from his possession by Voldemort. She wove her way to him past her brothers and Sirius sleeping in camp beds.

When she finally saw him in the dim light of the great room, he was sitting with his head down staring at the table. She walked up to him and he didn’t raise his head towards her. Not wanting to scare him, she decided to call to him.

“Ron, is everything all right?” she whispered trying not to wake everyone else up.

“WHAT!” he shouted and jumped back into his chair nearly toppling it backwards.

Ginny had to resist laughing at his actions. Sirius popped his head up, but saw her and lay back down. “Are you all right? Why are you sitting here all alone?” she whispered to Ron.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to do anything wrong. I’ll go back to bed,” he mumbled without looking at her. He started to get up and walk away, but returned to push his chair back under the table.

“Don’t go, we could have some tea and biscuits,” she said trying to get him to stay.

“Too hot,” was all he said.

“All right, how about some iced Pumpkin Juice?”

He hesitated for a second before nodding his approval.

“Follow me to the kitchen.”

Ginny reached for his hand, but he seemed to pull his hand away from hers. She walked in front of him around a corner out of the great room to a wall that looked solid, but was charmed to be like Platform 9 ¾’s. She passed through to the brightly light kitchen, but Ron stayed on the other side. She stood there waiting for him. Stepping back through the magical barrier, she saw him staring at the wall.

“It’s just like Platform 9 ¾’s, Ron.”

“Yeah it is isn’t it,” he said to her, before stepping through it.

“Have a seat,” she said to him indicating a stool by the one work counter.

Ginny walked over one of the ice boxes and grabbed a pitcher of Pumpkin Juice. She stopped at cabinet to remove a tin of biscuits. When she turned around, she noticed Ron was watching her, but he quickly looked away when she looked at him. She didn’t let this action worry her. She placed the tin of biscuits down in front of Ron and opened it. Summoning two glasses from the racks in another part of the kitchen, she filled two tall glasses with the iced Pumpkin Juice.

“So big brother, what’s bothering you or were you just hungry from the day’s activity?”

Ron snorted to himself about her comment. “I don’t feel like your big brother,” he mumbled under his breath.

Ginny could tell that he never intended on her hearing the statement. “Are you going to talk to me or am I going to need to break your nose like I did three years ago?”

The last year they were home together, before she bonded with Harry. Ron was being a massive git talking about how great he was going to be when he gets to Hogwarts. She of course told him he would be a great big prat. An argument ensued that ended with Ginny punching him in the nose and breaking it. Even though Ron towered over her, she was strong and not afraid to defend herself. He had been so embarrassed at her breaking his nose that he made their parents swear to keep it from the twins. She had to do all the laundry and the dishes for the next month, but it was worth it. He was actually afraid of her after that.

His eyes got wide at her comment with a look of fear. “You remember that?”

“Yeah, I remember that. You remember having make-believe duels with each other while only using sticks?”

Ron started laughing at the memory. “We would always end up fighting over who actually won,” laughed Ron. He suddenly became sad again.

“Ron, what’s wrong?”

He stared at the biscuit in his hand neither eating it nor talking to her.

“Ron?”

“Hogwarts wasn’t what we thought it would be,” he said to his biscuit. He stayed silent for a while before talking again. The entire time he was staring at the biscuit in his hand.

“Even my first year was difficult. I thought that after hearing all our brothers talking about the school it would be a breeze for me. It wasn’t. There were so many students that were so much smarter than me. The only thing that I seemed to stand out from the crowd was my height and my red hair. At home I am just another person in the crowd. The only thing that makes me different at home is how much I can eat. Bill is the handsome Curse Breaker and former Head Boy, Charlie the rugged Dragon tamer and Quidditch star, Percy is Mr. Perfect Prefect, and Fred and George are the jokers of the family.”

“Then there is you,” he said looking up from the biscuit at her, before looking down again.

Ginny was slightly affronted by his action, but it revealed what was bothering him.

“You are jealous of me. Why?”

“That’s a stupid question,” snorted Ron. “You are famous for doing something that hasn’t been done in 1700 years. The person you soul bonded with is probably the wealthiest person in the wizarding world if not the entire world. You two are practically the king and queen of magical society. I bet you could almost overthrow Fudge, and half the magical Ministries in Europe, if you wanted to. I am sure there are other things I could say, but that seems like a pretty good list.”

Ginny had to resist yelling at the huge prat of a brother sitting in front of her. It would do no good and not make him see what type of life she was experiencing. Instead, she took a deep breath and tried to explain it to him.

“First of all, we have no desire to oust Fudge and his cronies,” she said harshly to him. “What would that get us? It could strain relationships that we have to get what - a position of power that would set us up for failure.

“Do you realize that our wedding is only the second time that Harry made a real public appearance in the magical community? The first time we bonded. I stand corrected. The second time we risked our lives to save you. The third time we were attacked and nearly killed.”

She stopped talking when his expression was similar to the one when he was being berated by his Mum. She realized that she let too much of her own pent up emotions out, and needed to be easier on him.

“Ron, you look at the life that I live as exciting. I look at it as scary. There is a death sentence hanging over our heads. We study and practice magic ten to twelve hours a day seven days a week. Even on our off days we still get about four hours of training in before we relax. If we don’t than we will not be prepared to face Voldemort. If we don‘t defeat him, then our entire world magical and the Muggle world could be plunged into darkness. That is a huge weight to bear on our shoulders. Bloody hell, we are actually only twelve and thirteen.

“I have not been on a broom for more than an hour a week until today. This past week has been like a huge vacation for me and Harry. We are constantly moving from one estate to another to ensure no one can find us. We are not much more than prisoners in a fancy prison.”

“A bloody fancy prison,” interjected Ron.

Ginny looked at Ron and saw a crooked smile on his face. She knew their discussion had helped him.

“If we survive, we will have a wonderful life together.”

“Why wouldn’t you survive,” countered Ron. “You two are very powerful separately and together almost unstoppable.”

“A Killing Curse will kill a person no matter how magically powerful they are,” she said sadly.

“Harry survived it once.”

“He may not survive it again, or it may be me who gets hit,” she said bluntly. “Harry would soon die after my death. He may not be able to destroy Voldemort in that time period. It is our responsibility to stop him once and for all.”

Ron looked at his biscuit again for several seconds before eating. “I guess you don’t have as good of a time as I thought,” he said as he chewed. “I guess I shouldn’t be feeling sorry for myself.”

He stared at the table as Ginny could feel him deciding if he should try to talk about something that has been bothering him.

“He told me that everyone thought I was worthless. He was my only true friend,” Ron said to the table. “I certainly misjudged that situation.” He added bitterly.

Ginny reached out to him. She placed her hand on his forearm. She tried to pour good feelings into him. He looked at her hand and then at her. “How do you do that?”

“Magic,” she said cheekily. “It is not your fault, Ron.”

“Thanks, I just hope everyone believes that when I get back to school.”

“I thought they already forgave you.”

“Yeah the Gryffindors, but no one else has really talked to me,” said Ron.

“Don’t worry about anyone but your friends and family. We all love you.”

Ron blushed at her comment. “Thank you, I guess I better try getting back to sleep. So we are going to Turkey tomorrow and see the battle grounds for Troy?”

“Yeah, we are and play some Quidditch,” Ginny said as she sent everything back to its proper place in the kitchen with a wave of her hand.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Judson looked at the runes he had written on a piece of parchment using the light from his wand. It was nearly midnight. He had been here at the Weasley’s hovel trying to figure out the wards that had stumped him two days ago. It was actually beneficial that Arthur had gone on a vacation for a week. He should be able to find the key for the wards before the family returns and notices him outside of their perimeter casting spells.

There were runes that he had never seen before. His higher education had been for teaching and learning ancient runes. To find runes that he was clueless about was perplexing. He was tired from a full day of work then Apparating over here and casting detection spells. Every time he thought about giving up, his Dark Mark would pain him something terrible. It was almost as though Voldemort was alive and controlling the Death Eaters again.

He didn’t think that was possible, but he didn’t want to take chances. He remembered what happened to people who displeased their master. He didn’t want the Dark Lord hearing he didn’t do what he was supposed to do and punish him.

Back to index


Chapter 12: A Real Keeper

Author's Notes: The Weasley's time with Harry and Ginny is coming to an end. Everyone is getting along, but and Owl causes some concern within the family.
I would like to thank my Beta, Leif, for the quick turn around on this and all the chapters.


Harry sat by the French doors of his bedroom skimming through a book written by Damocles Belby. The Potion master had penned several books, but this one and the last one Harry looked at revealed nothing as far as hints or clues to why he couldn’t make the Wolfsbane Potion. He had a good idea that they wouldn’t reveal anything. These books were strictly instructions for Potions that Belby had invented. Each set of instructions were laid out the exact same way with a list of ingredients and the step by step procedure with indications of what the Potions should look like at each stage. Harry contemplated making some of these to see if he would fail making these like he had the Wolfsbane.

“Hey, what time is it?” groaned Ginny.

He looked up from the book and stared at his beautiful wife. His breath caught in his throat. She was lying in their bed surrounded by the thick duvet and pillows. Her tousled red hair stood out in sharp contrast to the light beige of the bed clothes. Her face was a pink flush from just waking up. This was when he thought she was the most beautiful. She always looked beautiful when she dressed up, but not nearly as enticing as she did in these private moments.

“Harry, I asked…,”

Ginny started to talk then she stopped and stared at him. A knowing smile stretched across her face and her blush became more pronounced. She pulled back the duvet revealing her short night shirt that covered to mid-thigh. Lifting her arms above her head and stretching, the hem of the night shirt slid further up her thighs.

Harry was fixated with the way the nightshirt slid across her curves. Ginny slid out of bed. She walked directly to him, bent over, and gave in a rather passionate good morning kiss.

“I think you are rather fetching in the morning too,” she whispered in his ear.

Harry watched as she walked to the loo. It irritated him that she could read his thoughts so easily and he couldn’t read hers. Sometimes it felt like he never had a private moment to himself. However, there were rarely any thoughts that he wouldn’t share with Ginny anyway, so it wasn’t that bad of situation.

“Six-thirty,” he shouted to her. “But, you probably already knew that when I thought of it.”

“No, I just looked at the clock on the wall,” she shouted back at him from the loo.

If there was one thing he enjoyed about all their estates was they all had large master bedrooms. He and Ginny had their own private apartment with bedroom, a sitting area, and a bathroom. They were at the new British Potter Manor house today, and their master bedroom suite was as large as the Dursley’s bottom floor of their house.

He looked out at the steel grey skies as they leaked a fine mist over the grounds. It was just another wet and chilly day in jolly old England. He never thought of the Dursleys, except on days like this. The gloomy skies and bone chilling precipitation always brought back bad memories. His relatives were among the worst.

He stood up and stared out the French doors at the grounds surrounding the mansion. They were on a spit of land that jutted nearly a mile out into the North Sea. To Muggles, it would appear as a rocky ridge, but it was actually a rather well protected piece of property before using magic. It was surrounded on three sides by a cold angry ocean. He had never been here when the waves weren’t sending ocean mist twenty feet in the air. The only way to reach the estate’s main house was across the land almost a mile in distance. Even though wizards normally don’t use Muggle methods, this land would almost be impossible to conquer by that means.

He marveled at the way his great —great — great — grandfather had designed this estate. It was a fortress without appearing to be one. Their land stretched inland for a half a mile beyond where the small peninsula connected with the coastline. A hedgerow was constructed there on rocks and mud covered barrier planted with black locust trees. The trees had nasty two inch thorns on them. Between the earthen barrier and the trees, the barrier was nearly fifty feet high, and completely blocked the view of the Manor house.

His family over the centuries had set up a series of estates that could support an army of thousands of wizards and witches, and a network that could be used to supply that army. This estate was designed as gathering place for the troops. He had two other smaller estates in England. One was located in a magical forest that had a large source of wand quality trees; it was known as Bowtruckle estates. The second estate was the house in Godric's Hollow.

The two estates in France were equipped to handle healing the soldiers. The largest estate in the French Alps had an actual infirmary that was twice as large as Hogwarts. The smaller one was located in northern France where it was a large farm that grew grains for food, livestock, and magical herbs and mushrooms. It was located near the dense forests on the border with Germany.

The Spanish estate had the largest potion lab anyone had ever seen. Sirius had commented that Harry’s Mum would have loved the estate. It was located on a cliff overlooking the Straits of Gibraltar and she could brew Potions while staring out at the Mediterranean.

Turkey and Egypt were places that could be used for training and research. Morocco was located near a trading center where they could purchase anything they needed and couldn’t grow. He also had a dedicated army of House Elves to maintain all the estates, and goblin overseers to sell off anything that was grown on the estates, whether it was wood and magical objects for wands or herbs and plants for reagents.

Italy was another location in the mountains. They weren’t sure why his family had purchased it, until they found natural deposits of various minerals used for Potion making. It had large bunkers or caves located deep in the mountain for storage and also for hiding from raids.

The farm in Greece was where all types of food stuffs were grown that could supply an army. It along with the other estates also created income by selling excess products to the Muggle and magical community.

All these things were noticed by the Weasleys during their visits to the estates. Their reactions were of awe at the way his estates had been designed by his family. They were all purchased and designed for a purpose not just luxury, to help an army survive a long protracted war. Sirius and Remus' reactions were much different.

He had been watching his father’s friends over the past several weeks. They had become increasingly agitated as they moved from estate to estate. Harry talked to Bill about it, but he was unsure the reason why. As they moved to the large English estate, Sirius’s mood had made it almost unbearable to be around him.

“What is wrong?” he finally pleaded with his godfather the second night they were here. Sirius had started drinking Firewhiskey in large amounts and hadn’t tried teaching Ginny and he any lessons for the past two days.

“You don’t bloody want to know,” yelled Sirius as he took another drink of Firewhiskey.

“Yes, I do,” he pleaded with his godfather.

Sirius sat the glass down and stared at him. There were tears forming in his eyes. “If your Grandfather had told your father about this network, your parents would still be alive.”

Harry had never thought about that before. He remembered his grandfather’s memory in the Pensieve saying he could protect Harry in ways Dumbledore couldn’t understand.

“Maybe my Grandfather never had the chance to tell my Dad.”

“Why wouldn’t he? Remus and I never saw any of these estates. We just knew about the house in Godric's Hollow. IF your GRANDFATHER WOULD HAVE LET JAMES KNOW ABOUT THESE PLACES BEFORE, I WOULDN’T HAVE LOST HIM. YOU WOULD STILL HAVE YOUR PARENTS!” Sirius screamed at Harry.

“Sirius, it isn’t Harry’s fault,” said Remus, trying to calm his friend down. ”Besides, if James had known about this network of estates, Peter would have also known about them.”

Sirius looked at his friend for several minutes, before shaking his head. Harry could see a wide range of emotions move across his godfather's face. It varied from anger, to remorse, to pain, and finally he hung his head and cried. Remus moved beside him and put an arm around his shoulders as he sobbed.

“I know we lost a true friend, but we now have the resources to avenge his death. We now know this was all for Harry and it is up to us to ensure he succeeds at his quest,” Remus whispered to his sobbing friend.


Warm hands ran up his shirt and caressed his chest, catching Harry by surprise. She had approached him as he thought about everything that had been set up for him by his ancestors.

“Why are you thinking about such things as the war right now?” Ginny whispered in his ear.

“I want a plan for every possible situation, before we start this war on the Death Eaters. We can’t rely on the Ministry. Most of them could be under Voldemort’s control right now. This war is up to us to win.”

Harry felt Ginny stiffen at his last comment. He turned to face her. Her hands slid around and slowly stroked his back. She had an intense look on her face.

“I am sorry if I frightened you.”

“No, you didn’t, Harry,” she replied smiling. “I was waiting for you to apologize. You always do. Even if we hadn’t bonded, I would still resist the Death Eaters any way I could. I’m happy to be with you to help you complete this mission.”

She leaned up to kiss him, but pulled away when he started to snigger.

“What is so funny,” she growled at him.

“You are actually happy to be included in being the prime target of the darkest wizard of possibly all time,” laughed Harry. “Damn, you are barmy, Ginny.”

Ginny playfully punched his shoulder. “I am happy because you also treat me like an equal partner in this quest you are on, Harry. I don’t ever want to be protected and kept from harm, because I am a girl.”

He bent down and kissed her gently on the head. Mixed with the flowery scent of her hair, Harry could smell breakfast cooking as the aroma of bacon and sausages floated up through the Manor House. His stomach reacted to the smells, but he heard another stomach growl angrily.

“I am hungry. Let’s go and get something to eat,” he whispered into her hair.

“Oh you are so much like a Weasley,” complained Ginny. She pulled back and looked him in the eye. “Food has priority over everything else, including a romantic moment.”

He smiled at her. “I heard your stomach growling too.”

Ginny placed a hand on her stomach, as though it would calm down its growling for food. “Traitor,” she said.

He smiled at her, but said nothing. He took her hand as they left their bedroom suite and walked down to the dining room. They were surprised when they saw most of the family sitting around the table practically salivating waiting for breakfast.

“Why is everyone up?” asked Harry.

“Not everyone is up,” responded Percy. “Ron is still having a lie in.”

“Oh give the bloke about fifteen minutes and he will be down here eating everything in sight,” laughed Charlie. “Don’t just stand there, sit down and get in line.”

Harry started to sit down, when he realized just what Charlie said. “What line?”

“To get your food for breakfast; I was first, Bill was second and Percy was third and the twins were fourth and fifth, and you my friend will be sixth and Ginny seventh.”

“I am not seventh. Harry is seventh. He is a gentleman and let me go first,” she argued with her brother Charlie.

“No problem with me, I am still second,” said Charlie.

“What’s going on?” asked Sirius, as he and Remus entered the dining room.

No one answered him, because Molly and Arthur entered the room levitating platters of food. They placed the platters on the table and the entire Weasley family jumped up and started loading their plates. Harry sat there and stared at them.

Charlie looked up and smiled at him. “You missed your turn, Harry.”

“Sorry, I thought there was supposed to be at least a second or two between turns.”

Everyone laughed at him.

“He is funny. No wonder you kept him,” Charlie said at Ginny.

Ginny chuckled at Charlie’s comment. “Yeah, he’s a keeper.”

Harry shook his head at the Weasleys’ chatter as he loaded his plate with food. Sirius clapped him on his back as he walked past to find a seat. What had surprised Harry over the past week was how wonderful it was being a part of a large family. He had spent every day with Ginny’s family, and he enjoyed it. He almost didn’t want it to end. Charlie was going back to Romania in two days. Mr. Weasley will need to go back to the Ministry tomorrow. They were planning on going back to the Burrow this afternoon. He and Ginny would be back to traveling from estate to estate studying and preparing to fulfill the prophecy.

“Dad, Mum, after breakfast Ginny and I would like to talk to you.”

“What about dear?” asked Mrs. Weasley.

Harry looked at Ginny then at Sirius, Remus, and Bill. They didn’t want to talk about this in front of all the children, because of Mrs. Weasley’s protective nature. They were going to discuss making Portkeys for the entire family to wear, in case they would be attacked by Voldemort’s followers.

Ron came thundering down the stairs and ran into the dining room. He didn’t say hello to anyone as he sat down and started piling food on his plate. He was scooping food from the serving platters with one hand and putting it in his mouth with the other hand. Harry was amazed he could do that without spilling anything or choking.

“Ronald Bilius Weasley, show some manners,” shouted Mrs. Weasley. “There is plenty of food and we are not leaving for home for another two hours.”

“I’m hungry,” said Ron with his mouth half full.

Mrs. Weasley glared at her son, until he slowed down the frantic pace he was eating. She then turned her attention back to Harry.

“You wanted to talk to us about something?” she said brightly. She looked at Harry, then at Ginny.

Arthur was looking at her with a puzzled expression, until he realized what she was thinking. “I don’t think they would know so soon, dear. It has only been a week,” he said.

Molly looked slightly put out at something. “Oh, I guess you are right, Arthur,” she replied sadly.

Harry was trying to figure out what they were talking about until he looked at Ginny; she was somewhere between being embarrassed and mortified. He raised an eyebrow at her, and she replied with a pat on her stomach.

“What? No! Ginny isn’t pregnant,” Harry said suddenly. Then he looked back at her. “You aren’t pregnant, are you?”

Ginny glared at him. “No!”

He realized that everyone at the table was staring at him. Ginny’s parents were mildly embarrassed. Bill, Charlie, Sirius, and Remus were trying not to laugh, but the rest of the Weasley men looked rather peaky. Ron even stopped eating and stared at Ginny and him.

“What I wanted to talk to you about are the Portkeys,” he said to change the subject. “We need to get them made before you return home.”

“What do you need to know from us?” asked Mr. Weasley.

“What location you want the Portkey to take you?”

“France, the estate in the Alps,” stated Mrs. Weasley. “It has that wonderful infirmary. If we need to leave England in a rush, I may need to patch up my family.”

“She also wants to go into that village and ask about those ladies that were chatting up Bill,” said Charlie.

“When you find a steady job, you should also be looking to find a wife to start a family,” replied Mrs. Weasley. “Do you have an estate in Romania, Harry?”

The laughter at Molly’s comment was cut short by the bell ringing indicating that someone or something was in the transportation vault.

“I’ll get it,” said Remus.

Harry watched as Remus left the room. The table was once again alive with chatter as everyone was talking about the past week. He sat there and sipped on his morning tea, listening and enjoying that everyone seemed to have a good time visiting his estates.

“Could I interrupt everyone’s conversations?” asked Sirius as he stood up. “I would appreciate it…,”

“If you didn’t tell people about the estates you saw,” the Weasley children, not including Bill and Ginny, said in unison to Sirius. “Tell your friends that you went to see your brother and sister in Africa. If you tell anyone about all the places you have been, please be sure they are trustworthy.”

While they were talking, Sirius had an annoyed look on his face. He held his retort until they finished. “You are a cheeky lot. You know that,” he said with a smile. “Your silence is important.”

“If we were to tell people about what we have seen this past week, they will think we are as barmy as Looney Lovegood,” said Ron.

Ginny flung a sausage at him hitting him in the face.

“What was that for,” he cried out.

“Don’t call her Looney,” she shouted. “She is my friend.”

“She believes in Crumple-horned Snorkacks and Nargles. Does that sound sane to you?”

“I don’t care,” spat Ginny. “She is still my friend.” She flung another sausage at Ron.

“Quit it you two!” ordered Mrs. Weasley.

“You must be barkin’ mad to bond with that lunatic, Harry,” Ron said, gesturing towards Ginny.

“I have learned to pick my battles better.”

Mr. Weasley let out a loud laugh, but quickly stopped laughing when his wife shot him a glare. The entire table erupted with laughter at their actions.

“Arthur,” said Remus from the doorway of the dining room. “This letter is for you.”

Mr. Weasley took the scroll from Remus. He unrolled it and Harry could see his brow form into deep rows of wrinkles as he read it.

“What is it Arthur?” asked Molly.

“Alastor says I need to see him before anyone returns to the Burrow.”

Everyone started to talk at once. Mr. Weasley just raised his left hand until everyone quieted down.

“I will go to Headquarters and sort this out,” he said, standing up.

"I am going too,” stated his wife in a voice that told everyone she would not take “no” as an answer.

“Why don’t we all go, and leave for home from there,” Percy asked.

The senior Weasleys stopped and looked at each other as they tried to decide what to do. Molly turned to face them all. “We will go soon, but I don’t want you lot causing problems. Is that understood?”

“Oh perfectly clear, Mum,” Fred and George said in unison.

“I have an idea, Dad,” said Ginny. “You and Harry go first. You can start talking to Alastor and Harry can bring the rest of us at the same time.”

The Weasleys stared at her stunned for a second, before Arthur spoke up. “That sounds interesting, is Harry going to Apparate there and back several times?”

“I think Ginny wants to see me use my powers,” Harry said softly. He was scared about using magic on his relatives. If he would Splinch them, they may never find the body parts. “Whenever you are ready, I will go with you.”

“All right Harry. Molly, are we done packing?” asked Arthur.

“Close enough, unless you have dumped clothes out of the trunk already packed.”

“No, dear, I didn’t, so we should be able to go in a few. Weasleys finish breakfast, soon,” he said while looking at Ron. “So you don’t delay Harry and Ginny. I imagine they will need to set a time like before with the Headmaster.”

“I was going to see if Ginny can contact me through our bond,” Harry replied.

“You two can do that?” asked Arthur excitedly.

“Mostly close distances,” said Ginny. “What happens if I can’t contact you?”

“Send a Patronus,” replied Harry nonchalantly.

“If none of you need my help, I am going to Headquarters,” said Arthur, standing up from the table rubbing his hands together with excitement. “Let’s go, Harry. I must say helping you and Ginny develop your magic sure is exciting.”

Back to index


Chapter 13: Starting the Fight

Author's Notes: The Weasley's safety is threatened again. It is time for Harry and the newly formed Order of Phoenix to start working together.
I would like to thank Leif for the great Beta work.


Harry stared at the dirty pealing wallpaper and large piles of dust collected around the baseboards of Grimmauld’s dining room. It was not used as a dining room now, which is a good thing. Moody and Shacklebolt had converted it to map and tracking room just a week ago.

It was now becoming the communication center for the Order of Phoenix. The large dark wood table had a map of Britain standing on it with objects moving about tracing movements of known Death Eaters. There were several owls perched in the far corner on stands, their droppings littering the floor beneath them. It didn’t appear to Harry that anyone had tried to clean this filthy building in the past week.

His hand was inching towards his wand. He wanted to start casting Banishing charms on the dust and dirt before Scourgifying the entire house. It would probably be better to just burn the filthy and smelly place down to the ground and start over again.

“Well, Potter, what do you think?” asked Alastor Moody breaking him out of his thoughts of arson.

“About what?”

The old scarred Auror huffed and thumped his cane on the floor. “About the Weasleys returning to their home. That Death Eater, Judson, has been to it every night since they left with you. It is too dangerous for them to go back there.”

“Dad, what do you think?” he asked Arthur. He enjoyed seeing the older gentleman smiling at him with pride.

“Well, son, Molly wants to return to her home. I would like to have Bill look over the Charms Warding the place. If he thinks it is safe, then I will take my family back home.”

“You’d be a fool Arthur,” growled Alastor. “You should move your family in here. There is plenty of room.”

Harry almost laughed at the look on Arthur Weasley’s face. He looked like he might get sick at the thoughts of living in a house this dirty and unkempt. The Burrow might be odd looking and held together with magic, but it was always clean and comfortable.

“When Bill comes, we will go out and check the wards,” said Harry. “If he doesn’t think it safe, you can stay at the place we just came from, Dad.”

“Well, that sounds reasonable,” sighed Arthur. “Alastor, no offence but I wouldn’t want to stay here even if I was paid.”

“Heh, you may need to move in. Albus wants to get a group of Order members in here and clean this place up so it can be a proper headquarters.”

Arthur looked like he was going to get sick. “You want me to move my family in here?”

“Yeah, we need a large group of energetic workers,” Moody said plainly.

Harry was offended at the idea that people were looking at his family as just a large group of able bodied workers. “Are there no others to do the cleaning, or did you just save this job for the Weasleys,” said Harry with some force.

Moody looked embarrassed at his comment. “I didn’t mean it like that. Almost everyone we have signed up is busy tracking people either on the board or in real life. Don’t forget we are not that large of a group.”

“Alastor, my family will help clean up this place, but you will have to deal with Molly if we do.”

The grizzled Auror looked at Arthur with fear in his real eye. Harry almost laughed aloud at his reaction. “I could ask some of the Elves to help,” said Harry.

“This place has an Elf, and it is useless,” said Moody. “All it does is sneak around and swear at us. We need to think about the problem at hand. When will Bill be able to check the wards?”

Arthur looked at Harry.

“I haven’t been contacted yet,” he told them. “It shouldn’t be much longer.”

“What are you getting at,” asked Moody.

“Harry is going to try a little unusual magic,” said Arthur with pride. “Using his bond with Ginny, he is going to bring the rest of the family here.”

“This house has anti-Apparition and Portkey Charms. They won’t be able to make it through the wards.”

“We were able to go through the Hogwarts protections,” said Harry.

“Were you now,” said Moody staring at Harry. “Let me know when you plan on doing that.”

“I will. I need to find a room large enough for them to appear.”

Harry walked away intent on checking on the sitting room by the front door. He thought it was large enough for the entire family to appear in. He stared into a room that might have been a study, but he couldn’t tell by the dark furnishings and accumulated dirt. He had never seen such a dirty house before. When he was living at the Dursley’s, his Aunt kept the place spotless. Then moving into his new estates that were maintained by Elves, he had never lived in a dirty home. Sirius said that the House Elf was useless. Harry was wondering if it was even alive.

He entered the sitting room and stared at the dust covered furniture. He had to do something about all the dirt. He waved his left hand from right to left in front of him. The dust and loose dirt disappeared from that part of the room. He repeated the motion with his other hand going left to right Banishing the dust and dirt from the rest of the room. He then placed his hands together in front of him and moved them outward forcing the furniture to the walls. He looked and thought there would be enough room to bring the Weasley family.

He found a large wing backed chair to sit and wait for Ginny to contact him. He heard a low bullfrog voice talking softly from the hallway.

“Filthy half-blood moving my mistress’s furniture; she would not be pleased that the blood-traitor son keeps bringing this filth in here.”

Harry stared at the old House Elf with drooping hairy ears and dirty sagging skin.

“Hello, you must be Kreacher.”

“Oh, that Half-blood speaks to Kreacher. Kreacher will ignore him and walk away.”

Harry sat there shocked at the actions of this old House Elf. It acted like it wasn’t competent to be taking care of a house, which could explain a lot.

An image appeared in his mind. He saw Ginny standing holding hands with the rest of the family. They were all holding their luggage. Harry ran up the stairs to get Moody. As he ran past the Portrait, the noise of his footfalls awakened Walburga Black. Ignoring her shouting he made eye contact with Moody.

“I am going to bring them here in the sitting room.”

He turned and started down the stairs. As he passed the portrait, he pulled his wand and cast a Silencing Charm on it. He made it to the bottom of the stairs as another image of Ginny appeared to him. This time she had a look of concern on her face. He stopped and tried to let her know that he felt her presence. Her image smiled in his mind.

He stepped into the sitting room. He wasn’t going to wait for Moody. He could hear him clumping down the stairs. Harry concentrated on Ginny; her smile, her hair, the feel of her in his arms. It made him want to hold her. He could feel the magic connect across the hundreds of miles, and then she and her entire family was there.

He could hear everyone talking around them, but he only had eyes for his wife. He stepped towards her as she moved to him. She melted into his arms. She fit so well into his arms, almost like they were made for each other. Kissing her hair, she lifted her face to look at him. Leaning down he captured her lips. He was in heaven.

“That isn’t a very good way of transportation if you are in a battle,” shouted Moody.

Ginny and he started laughing at the same time. Harry responded to Moody. “We don’t have to snog, but considering the situation what can it hurt.”

“It can ruin a person’s appetite,” complained Ron.

Ginny pulled away from Harry and intertwined her fingers with his. “I doubt it could ever ruin yours, Ron.”

Everyone laughed at her comment including Ron. Moody though cleared his throat.

“We have a situation that needs to be addressed.”

“What is that Alastor?” asked Molly.

Moody seemed to grimace before looking at Harry. It seemed that it was up to Harry to tell what had been happening at the Burrow. Harry didn’t really want to say anything. He had just come into her good graces. If he told her that a Death Eater that came to attack him a week earlier was prowling around her home. He might swing back to the bad side of Molly.

“Alastor and the Order noticed a Death Eater patrolling around the Burrow for the past week,” said Albus Dumbledore.

Harry looked shocked at him. He didn’t realize he was in the house.

“Do you know which one,” asked Molly, anxiety showing on her face.

“Mr. Judson,” replied Albus.

“Harry wants to go out there with Bill to check the wards,” said Moody.

“I’ll be going too and also Remus,” said Sirius.

“Me too,” said Ginny.

Albus Dumbledore smiled at the comments, but Molly looked like her face was going to catch on fire.

“Mum, don’t start. We know what we are doing,” stated Ginny.

“I am going along to see if you really do know what you are doing,” barked Moody.

“Don’t worry, Alastor, I am following Auror procedures,” said Sirius with a wolfish grin.

“I was wondering if you remembered your training?” asked Moody.

“Alright, let’s get going,” ordered Sirius. “We can’t Disapparate from this house as a group and the stoop is too small. Moody and I will go first and Apparate to the main gate at Hogwarts. Bill and Remus will be second and Ginny and Harry last.”

He stopped talking and walked out the front door with Moody and Disapprated. Bill and Remus were right behind them. He and Ginny were ready to go, but Molly started to protest. Albus Dumbledore spoke to her. They didn’t wait to hear what he was saying. One second they were stepping out into the rain of London and the next second they were getting rained on in front of Hogwarts.

“Why did you bring us this way, Sirius?” questioned Moody “We can’t Apparate as a group to the Burrow that is all the way down in Suffolk.”

“Yes, we can,” replied Sirius undeterred by the questions. “We need to link arms. Bill you lead us and Harry and Ginny need to be in the middle. When we appear we need to take a four point defensive stance with Harry and Ginny in center. Wands, at the ready and go.”

Bill turned and the entire group was squeezed through rubber tube of Apparition. They landed in the orchard behind the Burrow. Bill took a stance facing the house. Remus was ninety degrees to his left. Sirius moved to ninety degrees to his right. Moody was opposite of Bill. They were all bent over so Ginny and he could see over them and scan the entire area. The rain was the same here as it was everywhere else they had been today unseasonable cold and steady.

Harry couldn’t feel any type of spells being cast. “All clear,” he told the others.

“I can’t feel anyone’s presence,” stated Ginny.

Everyone relaxed except for Moody. He stood with his arm extended waiting for an attack. “You need to keep your wands at the ready. You don’t know what is out there.”

“If Ginny and Harry give us an all-clear, it is good for me,” said Remus.

“You still need to keep your wands ready,” said Bill. “I am going to test the Wards. If this Judson is the best there is, than he could have placed some booby traps in the matrix of the Wards. Harry be ready to cast a shield in case the Wards explode.”

“Exploding Wards?” asked a puzzled Moody.

“Yes, I need to concentrate,” demanded Bill.

Harry stood there on the sodden ground with the rain soaking him to the bone focusing on what Bill was doing. He was moving his wand in a series of intricate motions. Occasionally, a wisp of energy would fly from his wand and hit the wards partially illuminating it. Each wisp was a different color and when it would hit the wards it would change to another color. Bill seemed to know what he was doing, because he mumbled something each time the wards reacted.

“Get ready,” Bill said softly.

Harry gripped his wand tighter preparing for whatever may happen. He would not allow any of his friends to get hurt. Bill swung his wand in a short arc and a bolt of purple magic shot from it and collided with the wards. The spell hit and spread out across the surface in a spider web formation. After it had spread out over the entire surface of the wards and disappeared, Bill seemed to relax and lower his wand.

“Well the wards were not set up as a trap,” he said with a sigh.

“I never heard of such a thing,” exclaimed Moody.

Bill laughed at the old Auror. “What do you think the Egyptians did all those years ago? All their protections were wards that were designed to activate some type of spell if disturbed.”

Bill stood there and stared at the Burrow. He rubbed his chin.

“What is it, Bill?” asked Ginny.

“I want to see what he might have tried to solve the wards. He could have even solved them and just waiting for the right time to drop them. If you five want to return to Headquarters, I’ll stay here.”

“No, we are not leaving you here,” snapped Ginny. No one objected to staying with Bill.

“All right, it will take some time though, and Harry and Ginny could you move back away from me a bit. I am going to need to balance my magic perfectly to track his spells.”

“Track his spells?” asked Remus.

“One of the first things you learn at Gringotts is to cast a Spell Detection Charm. It will track any spells cast over the past year. Sometimes even a longer time period, it saves on useless duplication. Since it has only been a week, I should be able to detect his spells pretty easily.”

“I appreciate this lesson in breaking Wards and Curses, but I am getting soaked out here,” complained Sirius.

“All right, excuse me Professor,” replied Bill.

Sirius growled at his comment. Bill ignored him and started waving his wand in what appeared to be a repeating motion as he walked along the face of the wards protecting the Burrow. Harry was fascinated watching him doing this. Occasionally, a series of runes would appear on the surface of the wards. They would sit there shimmering like a golden fire while Bill stared at them. He would wave his wand and the flaming runes would disappear.

They continued walking about thirty feet away from Bill, to not interfere with his spell casting. Thirty minutes of this turned into an hour, and then two full hours until they had completely circumvented the ward surrounding the Burrow.

“Well, he cast enough Diagnostic Charms to be able to see what the Ward construct is, however, he hasn’t tried to break the code. I want to make a few tweaks to the Ward in case he has figured it out.”

“Why not just change it completely?” questioned Moody.

“I am setting a trap. If they try to drop the Ward, I will know and another Ward will form about twenty feet closer to the house,” explained Bill.

Moody laughed at Bill’s explanation. It looked rather demented with his scared and misshapen mouth.

“That’s bloody brilliant.”

“I would like to have a barrier so no one could possibly see what I am doing.”

“What type of a barrier?” asked Remus.

“Something that will keep people from seeing me rearranging the construct,” he explained.

“Inflamare?” Sirius said looking at Remus.

“That should work, you cast one that direction, and I will take care of this side,” said Remus.

The two wizards stepped away from everyone and started moving their arms in a large circle in front of them. Soon fire was forming like a large disc in front of them. The fiery discs blocked the view of Bill manipulating the Ward’s configuration. They also helped warm up Harry and dry his clothes out. Harry started to wonder about Remus and Sirius. Certainly, they must be hot.

“All right I am done,” announced Bill. “You can stop that.”

Sirius and Remus cancelled the spell. Steam was rolling off their clothes. Ginny was the first to laugh when they turned around, he quickly joined her, and then Bill and Moody started to laugh at the sight of Remus and Sirius. They had burnt the hair off the front of their face. Neither had eyebrows and their hair next to their forehead was burnt back.

Sirius was the funniest. He had burnt off just the front section of his beard and moustache. The hair on his cheeks was still there but looked strange with the rest of his face. They looked at everyone laughing at them, so they decided to turn to look at each other. Soon all six of them were nearly rolling on the wet ground laughing.

“Let’s head back to headquarters,” said Sirius between chuckles. “Harry and Ginny you first, we will quickly follow, so no snogging when you get there.”

Ginny looked indignant at Sirius. “If I want to snog my husband, I will.”

She grabbed his hand was with a turn they were gone. They landed on the stoop of headquarters. He opened the door for her. What they saw caught them by surprise. Everyone was running around and cleaning Grimmauld place. Bill and Moody appeared behind them.

“What the bloody hell is going on here?” barked Moody.

“Alastor, do not use language like that in front of my children,” yelled Molly Weasley. “I cannot believe you would stay in a house this dirty. You didn’t even clean up after your own Owls. If you expect me to bring my children here to help clean this place there will be some changes in how you keep this place. You will treat this place with some respect and clean up after yourself.”

While Molly was chastising Moody, Sirius and Remus arrived. They stood there trying to contain their laughter at Molly yelling at Moody and the portrait of Sirius’ mother yelling at them all.

She looked past Moody and Bill and frowned at the two of them. “What in the world did you two do to yourselves, you look ridiculous. Honestly, I think the children are more responsible that the adults around here.”

“You can go home now Mum,” said Bill.

“Not until I at least make a couple of these rooms suitable to be lived in by humans. You would think a troll had lived here. I think the ghoul in our attic isn’t this messy. Don’t just stand there Bill, come along there is work for you and the rest of you. Lets get to it.”

“And people wonder why I never married,” growled Moody as he clumped towards the stairs.

“And will someone please shut that portrait up,” yelled Molly from another room.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry sat on the settee in the sitting room of headquarters. Ginny was beside him with her head on his shoulder. They were relaxing waiting for the first Order of Phoenix meeting to start. Bill, Remus, and Sirius were there along with Moody, Professor Dumbledore, and Professor McGonagall.

Professor McGonagall sat across form him and kept giving him wistful looks. Sirius, Remus, and Bill occupied the sofa and had a box placed in front of them on the coffee table. Harry still couldn’t look at Remus and Sirius without laughing about their lack of hair on their faces. Moody was plopped down in a wing backed chair complaining to Albus Dumbledore as he paced in front of the fireplace. There was a small fire to take the chill off the unusually cold summer day.

“I tell you Albus that woman is a slave driver,” said Moody.

“That’s my mother you are talking about,” snapped Ginny. Bill was also giving Moody a hard look. “If you had cleaned something in this place she wouldn’t have been so — well like my mother.”

“I am impressed with what she was able to get done,” stated Professor McGonagall. “We now have a sanitary kitchen, a clean work space, and even a clean bedroom to sleep in. She has a schedule to clean every room in this house over the next several months. I think you should be thanking her.”

“While Molly’s efforts to make this house livable are quite commendable, we have other matters to address,” said Albus Dumbledore. “How secure is the Burrow?”

“Very secure,” stated Bill. “I have made the Ward to recognize people and allow passage through them. If someone takes them down, I will know, and a second Ward will be formed closer to the house. The only security risk to my family would be if they go into town. They would be vulnerable.”

“Good,” replied Albus with a nod of his head. He turned and looked at Harry. “Harry, you wanted this meeting. Minerva and Alastor are two members of the Order that I trust the most. What is it that you wanted to talk about?”

“With the recent events, it is obvious that Voldemort is getting ready to return. We — the five of us — became aware of that two years ago shortly after I bonded with Ginny. While Ginny and I have been learning magic, these three have been doing other research that could be helpful.”

Harry looked at the three on the sofa.

“Right, where to begin,” said Sirius.

“I’ll start,” said Remus.

“After James and Lily were murdered, I thought I was alone in the world. I didn’t want anything to do with the magical world, so I hid in the Muggle world for over two years. I found that, with my shabby clothes, I fit in with the type of Muggles that frequent used book stores. I was able to find a job at these stores, where I started reading Muggle books. I particularly found detective stories very interesting. So much so that I started researching how Muggles solved crimes without using magic.

“Many of the methods would be useless to us, but one type I found fascinating. It is called profiling. Where the Muggles try to predict what the criminal would do by what they have done in the past. Everyone has patterns to how they do things, even Voldemort.”

“That is where I come in,” said Sirius. “I was locked in a part of Azkaban where everyone was sentenced to life. When you don’t think you will ever live to see the outside world, people will tell you things that they wouldn’t normally say. I had several Dearth Eaters in cells around me. They were bragging about how great their Dark Lord was. It appears that he has a set method of recruiting Death Eaters.

“He focuses almost exclusively on Slytherin students. Not just any student, but students that passed with more than six Outstandings on their Owls. The Death Eaters visit them between their fifth and sixth years and try to convince them of their Dark Lord’s noble intentions. If the Slytherin doesn’t seem interested they don’t press it, but they keep a close watch on the family. They contact the family again between their sixth and seventh years. This time if the child and the family are not interested, they apply pressure; usually threats and possibly even a little torture to make them compliant.”

Professor McGonagall sniffed at Sirius casual use of the word torture. Sirius looked at her and continued on.

“Remus and I delved into the records of Hogwarts reports to the board of governors…,”

“How did you get those reports?” asked Professor Dumbledore.

“My family vault,” said Harry. Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall stared at him awkwardly for a few seconds. “My family has a permanent seat on the Board of Governors. We get a report sent to the vault every year.”

“You also get a transcript of every meeting of the Wizengamot?” asked Professor Dumbledore.

“Yes, they do,” said Sirius. “Now that everyone is up to speed where I got my information; we stumbled on an interesting observation. There were no recorded Death Eaters that graduated in 1943 and before. In 44, there were only two known Death Eaters. In 45, almost the entire class was Death Eaters or sympathizers, except the smartest student, Tom Riddle.

“Our suspicions about him were confirmed when we went into the Chamber of Secrets and found him draining the life from Ron Weasley. The diary was Tom Riddle’s diary. Tom Riddle is Lord Voldemort. Many of his followers in Azkaban swear he is the heir or reincarnation of Salazar Slytherin.”

“I find this very interesting, but how does it help us. We can’t go and toss people into Azkaban because they fit your profile,” questioned Moody.

“Profiling isn’t intend to be proof of a criminals activity, but to try to predict when and where a criminal will strike next,” replied Remus. “Here is a list of possible recruited Dearth Eaters from Slytherin.”

Remus handed several sheets of parchment to each person in the room. He waited until the three eldest had a chance to look them over.

“You will notice that beside each name there are several markings,” Remus said. “The DE stands for people who were definite Death Eaters. The “P” stands for people who are possible Death Eaters. “D” stands for dead, “A” stands for Azkaban, “U” means we have no idea where they are. We can keep these handy to help determine what might be the next target and who would be acting on behalf of the dark lord.”

“We could end up chasing our tails while trying to track all these people,” said Moody.

“There are very few people Voldemort trusts. Sirius has a good idea who was in the inner circle from talk at Azkaban,” stated Remus. “They pass information from the inner circle to the other members. We can try to track this trail of information and be able to determine who else are Death Eaters.”

“While I am impressed by your work on this project,” said Albus Dumbledore. “I am not sure we can do what you want. The Order is not that large of an organization. It would take hundreds of people to keep track of all these people.”

“We are presently tracking known Death Eaters,” said Remus. “It may take some time to collect enough information to completely identify all the Death Eaters.”

“You make this sound like you are planning on a long drawn out war,” questioned Moody.

“There are Death Eaters working in the Ministry. We know that. Several of these additional names are Ministry employees. If this escalates to an all-out war, we may be fighting the Ministry,” Remus stressed to them.

Moody was getting even more agitated. Professor McGonagall was giving all of them disapproving stares while occasionally glancing at Albus Dumbledore.

“It may not come to that,” said Ginny.

He squeezed her hand trying to stop her from revealing too much information to Moody and Professor McGonagall. She turned and looked at him. It was easy to tell she knew exactly what he was thinking, because she always knew.

“It’s all right love. I trust them,” she said gently.

“Bill will you please seal the room,” Ginny asked her brother. She waited until he cast a Charm sealing the room off from unwanted listeners. “Our plan is to destroy Voldemort’s Horcruxes before he has a chance to regenerate his body. From all the records we have found on Horcruxes, we cannot be sure if he would be pulled into the afterlife or continue to exist in his present spectral form. At least we think it is still a spectral form.”

“Horcrux, are you suggesting that Voldemort made a Horcrux,” spat Moody; his magical eye swinging wildly from Ginny to all the others in the room.

“We know he made at least one. We think he probably made more,” Ginny said calmly. She squeezed Harry’s hand, before saying anything else. “We were hoping for the Headmaster’s and the Order’s help in locating and destroying any he might have made.”

“I don’t know if involving the Order in such an endeavor would be wise,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“Albus, you knew about the Horcruxes?” asked a shocked Professor McGonagall.

“Bloody Hell!” shouted Bill. He had his robes pulled back on his left arm. The bracelet that he wore was glowing blue. “Someone is tampering with the Wards at the Burrow. Come on, we need to get going.”

“Hold on, don’t you go there until we can get organized,” demanded Moody.

“We can’t wait for very long. They haven’t broken the wards yet, but they are doing something to set off the alarms.” Bill stood staring at the bracelet glowing blue on his wrist.

Moody limped past Bill and up the stairs as he yelled at the two Order members watching the map. Harry could hear footsteps running around upstairs, as Moody descended the stairs to the sitting room.

“We will be able to leave in two minutes. Here is what we will do…,”

“You and the Order will Apparate second to the lane in front of the Burrow. I will lead this group to the orchard,” stated Bill.

Moody looked like he wanted to argue, but he seemed to think about the plan before speaking. “It sounds good we will have them surrounded. If you go first they may attack, and we can catch them from behind. Wait until Nymphadora and Caradoc make down here before…,”

“It’s Tonks and we are here,” shouted the female Auror.

“Go Bill, I know where to go,” said Albus Dumbledore.

Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and followed their team out to the stoop. It was a tight fit, but they were able to Apparate without incident. The orchard appeared around them. They not only made a popping sound, but also a splash as they landed on the wet ground.

No one spoke as they searched the area around them for a sign of someone. Harry could feel magic being used on the other side of the house. There was a loud splintering sound and the dome of the Ward protecting the house formed glowing blue spider veins before vaporizing.

“Let’s move they are on the other side,” whispered Bill. He took off running around the circumference of the wards.

Harry both heard the sound of Apparition and felt its magic on the other side of the house. Five people appeared while one had disappeared. He started to wonder if the person who broke the wards had left. The second ward glowed in a faint golden color twenty feet closer to the house.

“Bill, slow down we need to stay together,” whispered Sirius.

“We need to work as a group, Bill,” said Remus.

Harry could feel Ginny and Bill’s anger to anyone who would want to attack their family. Harry shared the sentiment, and was even angrier; this was all because of him. He noticed the other group from the Order was standing with their wands drawn facing the gate leading to the Burrow. He was starting to think that the person who broke the ward had Apparated away when the other group appeared.

Ginny stiffened a little beside him. He was going to ask why, until her could feel the magic building at a spot near the new Ward between his group and the other Order group. It was strange how he could see the glow of the spell before the other people even started to cast it. It was his special power, but he still had to act. He could see the green glow of the Killing Curse forming.

Thrusting his hands out he magically pushed the two order groups to the ground at the same time the attackers were shouting the Killing Curse. Six beams of deadly green magic shout out missing everyone lying on the ground. It was as though time had slowed down as the curses came at him. He moved slightly to his right and turned so he could extend he wand arm as the Killing Curses missed to the left and right.

The other wizards were Disillusioned, but he could now see them in the night. They still had that green glow of the Killing Curse illuminating them. Wordlessly he shot six separate beams out of his wand. Each one hitting its target with such force that their Stunned bodies were slamming against the new Ward.

He stood there watching and waiting for another attack. He wasn’t sure if anyone else was here waiting to attack them. The Order members were slowly getting back to their feet. Harry didn’t need to be an Empath to know that Ginny was seething beside him.

“You are so lucky that you didn’t get killed,” she hissed at him. “If I pass on because some gormless stunt like that, I will make your eternity a living hell.”

Harry almost started laughing at her choice of words. “If we are dead how could you make my afterlife a LIVING hell?”

Bill, Sirius, and Remus snorted beside him. He knew they thought what he said was rather funny.

“While you are standing there casting a Killing Curse with your eyes, could you try to sense if anyone else is around here?”

“No we are clear, you prat,” she growled at him.

He dropped his wand a little and walked towards the six who tried to kill them. Albus Dumbledore, Alastor Moody, and Nymphadora Tonks were standing over the six bodies.

“Nice wand work, Harry,” said Tonks with a smile.

“Do you know them?” he asked the other group.

“Slytherin’s,” the Headmaster said. “They were among the best students of their class. All did exceptionally on their OWLs and NEWTs.”

“Now do you believe me?” said Sirius.

“It doesn’t matter,” barked Moody. “They are all going back to Ministry and then to Azkaban.”

“Did anyone Apparate when you arrived?” he asked the other group.

“Not that I know, why?” responded Albus Dumbledore.

“Someone did,” he responded. He lifted his wand skyward. “Homenum Revelio,” he nearly shouted.

A red light glowed as it shot out in all directions from his wand tip. It looked like a red ripple on a black lake moving through the night air and slightly off the ground. It illuminated the Stunned wizards and the Order members as it moved outward across the Burrow’s grounds. It continued past the property boundaries and up the sides of the hills. It was even visible as it moved through the woods on the hills surrounding the Burrow. It highlighted a person hidden in the woods behind them.

A second later Harry could feel an outburst of magic. The person had Apparated away after being detected.

“I wonder who that was?” said Moody.

“It was probably Judson,” said Bill. “Or someone with experience in breaking Wards. They didn’t use blunt force they tried to tear the Ward’s construct apart.”

“You can tell all of that?” asked Moody. “You will be an asset to the Order.”

“It was Judson,” said Caradoc. “He was here when Alastor called for us.”

“Well get back to Headquarters and see where he went to,” ordered Moody. “We need to report this.”

“I can’t do that without revealing that I am with the Order,” said Tonks.

“Arthur can report it,” said Albus Dumbledore. “Maybe the Weasleys should move into headquarters tonight.”

Harry looked at his father and mother —in-law standing just outside the front door of their house with their wands clutched in their hands. He was starting to wonder what to do. He didn’t want to endanger them anymore, but he also knew they wouldn’t want to be shipped to a foreign country. Without even thinking about it, he laid his arm over Ginny’s shoulders and pulled her to him. They will need to talk to everyone about this. He just wasn’t sure what would be the right thing to do.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Lucius Malfoy was kneeling in the basement of his own home he was spoon feeding a mixture of unicorn blood, snake blood, and several other healing potions to his master. It was a disgusting thing to do, but he didn’t need his master punishing him.

“Any word from Judson?” asked the Dark Lord.

“None, there is no evidence that Potter will be at the Weasley’s hovel.”

“I cannot remain like this forever, Lucius. You must lure Potter out in the open and capture him.”

“I know master, but he has been hidden well by Albus Dumbledore.”

“Yes, Albus Dumbledore, we will need to take care of him also. First we must get Potter, and then we will destroy the Muggle loving fool. Who would dare to stand against us then?”

“Father,” called Draco. “Father, are you down here?”

Lucius could hear his son’s footfalls on the steps leading down to the dungeons. “Excuse me master,” he whispered. Lucius stood up quickly and strode towards the stairwell.

“Draco, did I not tell you to never come down here?” shouted Lucius at his son. “What is the meaning of this?”

“There is a man upstairs, who insists he must see you,” he son nervously said, while cowering back up the stairs. “His name is Judson.”

“Is he alone?” asked Lucius trying to keep any hint of anxiety out of his voice.

“Yes, he is, Father.”

“Very well, I shall meet him in my den. You can lead him there. I shall be up very soon.” Lucius watched as his son retreated up the steps. After the door at the top of the steps had closed, he turned and returned to his Master.

“Master, I must go see Judson. He was going to break into the Weasley’s to lure Potter out of hiding.” Lucius stood with his head bowed before his master. “I will report what he discovered.”

“Very well, Lucius, you may go, but don’t forget to punish him if he fails you. We cannot let weakness infiltrate our ranks.”

“Yes, Master.”

Lucius left the dark and dank dungeons of his manor house and entered his warm den. Judson was sitting in a leather wingback chair by the fire. Lucius noticed he picked the smaller of two chairs to sit in. It was good that Judson knew his station in life.

Pouring a glass of Elf-made wine, Lucius sat down in the larger chair and stared at Judson as he sipped the wine. The taste was strong and sweet. It helped to calm him, before he found what had happened tonight.

“How did everything go?” he calmly asked the lower ranked Death Eater.

“If you plan to take Potter captive, you better have a good plan.”

“Why do you say that?”

“I recruited my younger brother and several of his housemates to attack the Weasley’s home once they returned from their vacation. They were all excellent students and had some additional training from me.

“I was able to break the wards, but Bill Weasley had set up a second ward that activated once the first one was tripped. It had a Detection Charm added in, because Bill, Black, the werewolf, and the Potters appeared about five minutes after I broke the ward. I didn’t have time to break through the second ward, as Albus Dumbledore, the Auror Moody, and a couple of people I didn’t recognize Apparated right by where we were.

“I Apparated out of there to a safe spot to observe what went on. My brother’s group was Disillusioned. Dumbledore, Moody, and the other two didn’t seem to see them. Potter though seemed to almost sense them and was able to take them down like they were practice dummies. I never saw wand work like that except from our Dark Lord and Dumbledore.”

Judson pulled something out of his robes. It was a set of Omniculars. “Here, I recorded what happened. Watch it and see what we are facing. Taking Potter will not be an easy task, if you want him alive. I say we just kill him.”

Judson stood up and straightened his robes out.

“Where are you going?” asked Lucius.

“My brother was captured tonight, because of me. I need to somehow arrange for him to stay out of Azkaban.”

“Very well, do what you need to do, but do not expose us, or you will wish you were in Azkaban,” threatened Lucius.

Judson leered at Lucius for a second before turning on his heels and leaving.

Lucius lifted the Omniculars to his eyes and activated the replay feature. The observation was from a distance, but he could tell that Potter was a very powerful and talented wizard. It seemed as if he sensed when the Killing Curses were going to be cast, because he magically pushed everyone else to the ground and sidestepped two curses. The Stunning Spells erupted from his wand at an incredible rate and found people who were Disillusioned without missing once.

He will need to report this to his Master, and then begin to make plans to capture Potter. This will be most difficult, but the rewards will be great when he succeeds.



Back to index


Chapter 14: Fudge, the Minister

Author's Notes: WE get a look at what life is like for Ministry employees. In particular Arthur Weasley and anyone opposed to pureblood ideals.
Big thank you for seekers destiny for catching all my mistakes with this chapter.


“Were the Wards Ministry compliant?” asked the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge.

Arthur Weasley was sitting in the chair in front of the entire Wizengamot. He thought this would be a simple trial. Six wizards Apparated onto his property and tried to kill his friends who came to help him. Yet, he has been the only one being questioned.

Not just questioned but interrogated. Fudge had been asking him questions for nearly thirty minutes now. Did he know the attackers? Did he have any dealings with the attackers? Why would anyone want to do what the attackers did? Where is his son-in-law?

It wasn’t only he that was getting tired of this interrogation, about half of the Wizengamot were acting like nine year-olds squirming in their seats and occasionally rolling their eyes at the questions that Fudge was asking.

“Arthur Weasley, you must answer the question,” demanded the Minister of Magic. “Were the Wards Ministry compliant.”

“I do not know Cornelius,” answered Arthur.

“You will address the Minister of Magic with more respect,” said the simpering voice of Dolores Umbridge.

“Thank you Under-secretary Umbridge,” replied Fudge with an oily voice. “Answer the question!”

“I did not know that Ministry required Wards to meet any particular criteria,” Arthur answered honestly.

Under-secretary Dolores Umbridge let out a girly little laugh. Fudge seemed to puff himself up with self-importance at Umbridge’s giggle. “The Ministry must be sure that people are not using Dark Magic to create Wards,” explained Umbridge. “Our Minister signed a decree last week making it official that all Wards set up within the jurisdiction of the British Ministry of Magic must meet this criterion and also be inspected.”

“When was that decree voted on by the Wizengamot?” asked Albus Dumbledore.

“Why was I not made aware of that decree?” asked Madam Amelia Bones, Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

“The Minister is busy man,” said Umbridge as though that was all the explanation that was necessary.

“The Minister must be a very forgetful man to forget that any decree isn’t official until voted on by the Wizengamot,” stated Albus forcefully.

“Now Dumbledore, I was going to present it at the next meeting,” said Fudge as though the procedures were an annoyance to him.

“You will address me properly. I am the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, Albus Percival Brian Wulfric Dumbledore.”

“As the Head of Magical Law Enforcement, that Decree will not be presented to the Wizengamot until I have had a chance to read it,” stated Amelia Bones.

“Yes, yes, the proper procedures will be followed. Let’s get back to the trial. Arthur Weasley, why exactly did you think you needed a Ward to protect your family. Certainly with our esteemed colleague Madam Bones in charge of Magical Law Enforcement, we should all be able to feel safe in our homes.”

Arthur took a deep breath. If he wasn’t such a patient man, he would be going to Azkaban for murdering the Minister of Magic in front of the entire Wizengamot.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur walked back through the Auror Department to his little office. He just spent four hours in the Wizengamot trial. Almost the entire time he was on the stand answering useless questions from the Ministry’s useless leader. He used to feel safe going to work and living in his home. Now he wasn’t so sure. It seemed that Fudge was putting him on trial, instead of the six future Death Eaters.

It was an open and shut case. Hit-wizards had done a Prior Incantato on the wizards’ wands and they all had cast a Killing Curse, which was a life sentence in Azkaban. Fudge seemed to believe that he had provoked the six to try to kill him.

It just didn’t make any sense. Unless the rumors he had been hearing were all true. Fudge was just the puppet of the Death Eaters. He wanted only one thing and that was to remain as the Minister of Magic.

Stepping into his little office, he smiled at the sleeping Perkins leaning against a wall while sitting in a chair. His wrinkled face stretched against the wall with his white hair sticking out in all directions. He can’t remember how many times he found him in that exact spot.

“Good Morning, Perkins,” said Arthur brightly as he walked past Perkins and sat behind his desk. “How did everything go last week?”

“Wotcher, Arthur,” said Perkins in a very feminine voice.

Arthur looked at his sleeping friend and saw a flash of pink form on the hair nearest the wall. Arthur stood there gobsmacked for several seconds before closing the door with his wand.

“Tonks? What are you doing here?”

“I am your guard,” she said while yawning and stretching. “At least for this week.”

“Are you taking off work?”

“No, I am working the graveyard shift. I figure I could take Perkins’ place. After all, he mostly sleeps all the day,” she said with a wink.

Arthur laughed at her comment. Perkins did spend most of his time asleep. “You are going to be a great bodyguard if you sleep all day.”

“Hey, I am a light sleeper, and I also wake up very angry. Any git who tries to mess with you had better watch out,” she stretched and looked at her watch. “Blimey, is it after noon?”

“Yes, the trial went on forever,” he said miserably.

“Why? We had their wands with a Killing Curse as their last spell.”

“Albus stepped aside, since he was at the scene, and let Fudge lead the Wizengamot. That man tried to get me to say that it was my fault they attacked us because we created the Ward in the first place. He tried to get their sentences reduced.”

Tonks transformed back to her normal self. “That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Were they finally convicted?”

“Yes, they should be leaving for Azkaban by Portkey as we speak,” Arthur said as he looked at his watch.

There was a knocking at his door. He looked at Tonks and she transformed to look like Perkins. He hoped that Perkins didn’t come into work this week. He had agreed to take vacation this week, so he doubted it was him. Flicking his wand, the door creaked open. A blue memo flew into his office and landed on his desk. He looked at it without opening it. He didn’t know why. It was just a memo. However, after the treatment he received from Fudge, he was sure he couldn’t trust anything related to the Ministry.

“What is that Arty?” asked Tonks, but she sounded just like Perkins.

“It’s just a memo, but…,” replied Arthur.

“Well Arty, you should open it. Be careful, but open it.”

Arthur cautiously prodded it with his wand and the memo opened just like it was supposed to do. He glanced up at Tonks, before reaching for the memo.

Arthur,
Please meet me at the Three Broomsticks for lunch. Madam Rosmerta will be looking for you.
Madam Bones
Please destroy this after reading it.


The memo disappeared in a flash of flame and ash.

“I have been asked to go to lunch.”

“Anyone we can trust?” asked Tonks in Perkins reedy voice.

“If you accompany me, we can talk about it.”

Arthur stood up and walked slowly through the Ministry to the Atrium. He offered his arm to Perkins at the Apparition area. They appeared on High Street in Hogsmeade. He was amazed that Tonks didn’t revert back to her old appearance during Apparition. She made only one mistake.

“Perkins almost always stumbles when we Apparate,” he whispered to Tonks.

“I’ll work on that,” softly laughed Tonks. “Who are you meeting?”

“Madam Bones.”

“Have you ever met her for lunch before?”

“I have barely spoken to her in all my years at the Ministry. The fact that she wanted me to burn the memo probably leads me to believe she doesn’t want to be seen with me. While I am meeting with Madam Bones, you always have the corned beef sandwich and tea at the Three Broomsticks.”

“Hmm, sounds delicious. I’ll have to rethink this surveillance business,” muttered Tonks.

“I’ll see you later Perkins. You take care,” Arthur said, as they entered the Three Broomsticks. He looked across the pub and saw the owner talking with several of the patrons. She looked up and smiled at Arthur. With a gentle twitch of her head, she directed his line of sight to a door near the back of the pub.

Arthur walked across the pub trying not to look at anyone directly. With his height and red hair, it would be difficult to blend in with the other patrons. Luckily no one seemed to notice him, and he didn’t recognize anyone at the tables. The place was only a quarter filled with patrons. He reached the door Madam Rosmerta had indicated. He looked back at her across the pub. She nodded once more.

He opened the door and found a staircase behind it. He ascended the steps and found another door. Knocking, he waited for someone to answer. He knocked a second time. When the door opened, it was Madam Rosmerta.

“Hello Arthur, don’t look so surprised,” she said jovially. “This room has two entrances. I came up the other one.”

“I asked her to do that Arthur,” said Madam Bones. “I wanted this meeting to be secret.”

Arthur looked across the small cluttered room and saw Madam Bones sitting with Albus Dumbledore at a small scrubbed table. He was taken aback by the Headmaster’s presence for a moment. He quickly realized what this might be about, but he wanted to be sure.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?” asked Arthur.

Albus smiled at him. “I think you know. Please sit down and have some soup and tea.”

“If you want anything else, just ring the bell,” the Matron said indicating a pull cord on the wall. She left down the back set of steps.

“I have been talking to Albus about the lack of proper leadership at the Ministry,” stated Madam Bones. Her tone was matter-of-fact.

“Do you think he actually feels he is doing the magical community a service by his leadership?” asked Arthur. He ladled a bowl of soup from the tureen. It was more of a beef stew than an actual soup.

“I think he believes it,” stated Albus.

“Not to mention that toad, Umbridge,” said Madam Bones with scorn.

Arthur had to hold a spoonful of soup away from his mouth as he tried not to laugh too loud at Amelia’s comment about Umbridge. He took a bite of the soup and thought about what to say to them. He felt he was in over his head with the present company. He was only a minor player in the Ministry. They were two of the three most important people in Magical Britain.

“Arthur, Albus said there was a reason why you had such strong wards around your house,” said Amelia Bones.

He stared at her trying to read her intentions from her face. He had never seen her close before. She was a strong jawed woman, but she was still feminine in appearance. He saw a different look in her eyes. It looked like fear and concern. With her reddish-brown hair, she reminded him of Molly. He looked at Albus. He wasn’t sure what to say.

“Tell her the truth Arthur, or would you prefer if I did?” Albus asked him.

“No, I’ll tell her.” He took a breath to organize his thoughts. “There was a ceremony at my home for my daughter and Harry Potter. They were officially married when they formed the soul bond two years ago. They wanted to have an actual ceremony with family and friends of the family present. I had made arrangements for a Ministry Official to preside over it. We were attacked by a group of Death Eaters. They were stopped before they could hurt anyone, and they fled.

“I went with my son-in-law on vacation for a week and when we returned, we have six other Slytherins Apparate onto my property. When Albus and several friends come to help, they all tried to kill Albus and our friends. They were Stunned and captured in the fight.”

Amelia looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Albus smiled at him, as if he was a student who hadn’t completely answered a question at Hogwarts.

“Is that all?” She asked him.

“There could possibly be more, but to be honest I don’t know why you are so interested in what happened at my house,” he said plainly and stared her in the eye.

“In the last war, my brother and his entire family were killed by Death Eaters. The only members of the Bones family left are me, my sister-in-law, and my niece. If Death Eaters are getting organized again to strike out at magical society, then regardless of whether you-know-who has returned or not, I need to know.”

Arthur felt ashamed of being so short with Amelia. He remembered her taking the death of family members hard and needing over a week off work because of it.

“Of the initial group of Death Eaters that attacked us a week ago, Judson, Savage, and Lucius Malfoy were among them,” stated Arthur.

Judson and Savage were among the Death Eaters; an Auror and an expert on Wards who both work for the Ministry. Amelia Bones looked at Arthur for several seconds. “I shouldn’t be surprised. Lucius has always had been able to escape blame relating to various events of other Death Eaters. Judson and Savage were never caught and brought in for questioning, but that doesn’t make them more or less guilty of what they had done.

“I am going to assign an Auror to watch you over the next two weeks,” stated Madam Bones.

“There is already an Order of Phoenix member watching him,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“Who might that be, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Nymphadora Tonks.”

“The clumsy Auror?” asked a shocked Madam Bones. She seemed to realize what she said in front of Arthur and tried to reassure him. “She is competent and all,” she added.

“She will provide adequate protection for Arthur and Harry,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“Why would you include Harry?” Arthur asked Dumbledore.

“He is critical in all of this.”

“Harry doesn’t need any extra protection. He has Bill, Remus and Sirius to protect him along with my daughter. Don’t forget, he is quite formidable himself, and if he wanted to disappear, we would never find him again.”

“Is that so,” said Dumbledore as he leaned back and stared into Arthur’s eyes.

Arthur quickly turned away. He didn’t trust staring at the Headmaster. He had been warned that Dumbledore could perform Leglimency.

“What about your family?” asked Madam Bones.

“What about my family?” replied Arthur. It didn’t sound like a threat, but he couldn’t be sure.

“If Harry and Ginny disappear, who will protect your family?”

Arthur looked at Madam Bones. He couldn’t figure out why she would be asking such a thing. “We would be protected too.”

“By Potter and the Order,” pressed Madam Bones.

“By Harry and his family’s protections.”

“Would your entire family be protected?”

Arthur had stopped eating, but he was quite uncomfortable at the line of questioning. “Why do you want to know?” he questioned her suspiciously.

Madam Bones, one of the most powerful women in magical Britain, started to tear up. She looked at Arthur and her strong and proud jaw started to quiver.

“I am probably one of the top five or ten targets, if the Death Eaters try to overthrow the Ministry. There is also a good possibility that my sister-in-law won’t survive the next attempted coup. I would like to ask if you could look after my niece Susan if neither one of us are around. She is a good girl, and deserves a chance to grow up.

“I realize this must come as a shock to you, as we only know each other on a professional level. I have found you to be a person of the highest character and dedication. It is obvious that you love children. You also are fighting on the right side of this war.

“Please, Arthur talk this over with Molly, and let me know what your decision is. If you do not want to be burdened with another mouth to feed, I will understand.”

Arthur didn’t say anything for several seconds. He couldn’t believe the request he just heard. He never figured someone as influential as the Bones would want to be bothered by someone like him. He may have even thought it was a gesture conceived out of a lack of respect for him, by suggesting his family would be useful as baby sitters. The tears in Madam Bones eyes and pleading of her voice convinced him otherwise.

“We will take your niece in if you want, and don’t worry about another mouth to feed. We will just make Ron eat like a normal human being and there will be plenty for everyone.”

Madam Bones let out a chuckle at his comment about Ron.

“Is he a young teenager?” asked Madam Bones.

Arthur started to reply, but the pounding of feet coming up the back steps made him stop talking. Madam Rosmerta appeared at the top of the steps.

“Madam Bones, there is someone here to see you,” she said between heavy breaths.

“I thought I said I didn’t want to be disturbed,” growled the Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

“It’s Baxter, he said it is most imperative that he speaks with you. He wants to come up here.”

“No! I will be down. Go and tell him, now,” she ordered the Matron.

Madam Bones stood up. She started to put on an appearance of a person in charge. The fragile women who was concerned for her niece’s safety was now gone. The Head of Magical Law Enforcement was now standing in front of Arthur.

“Please, keep this conversation to just your family; the fewer people, who realize that Susan may be living with you, the better.”

“I will tell Molly and the family, but Amelia, don’t give up hope yet. You may be able to get through this upcoming war and not have to worry about subjecting your niece to my twins.”

“I just want to ensure my loved ones are cared for,” she said before turning and marching down the stairs.

Arthur finished his beef stew and laid the spoon down. “Did you know she was going to ask that of my family?”

“No, I didn’t,” replied Albus. “I think she made a very wise choice.”

The sound of footsteps running up the backstairs preceded Madam Bones’ face appearing above the top step. It almost appeared that her head was sitting on the floor without a body.

“They escaped. The ones that attacked your home, Arthur, have escaped. The Portkey took them to a field in Scotland where someone was waiting. Their wands are gone from the Ministry.”

“Was it an accident they were transported to another location?” asked Albus.

“No it can’t be. The person making the Portkey must pass a rigorous test. I must get back to the Ministry and do some damage control.”

Arthur watched her leave. “Do you think the person making the Portkey was a Death Eater?” he asked Albus.

“No, it wouldn’t make any sense. He was going to get questioned no matter what the circumstances. He would be the first person everyone would suspect.”

“Hmm, I wonder who is behind this,” Arthur asked a rhetorical question.

“Does it really matter?” sighed Albus. He looked very old at this moment. “It appears our greatest fears are true, the Ministry is compromised.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Gabriel Brandenburg sat in a cold cell in the bottom of the Ministry. His life was virtually over, and he doesn’t know how it happened. All he knew was he had just been sentenced to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban for allowing six people convicted of using Unforgivable Curses to escape.

Ever since hearing about the Portkey landing the six in a field in Scotland rather than Azkaban’s receiving area, he had been trying to remember how it happened. He couldn’t remember actually programming the Portkey, when he made it.

Auror Savage had entered his office with an official order for an Azkaban Portkey for six people. He turned and grabbed a bicycle tire. That was the last thing he remembered until he handed Savage the active Portkey and signed Portkey order.

He pleaded with Minister Fudge that something must have happened since he can’t actually remember making the Portkey. The Minister made him drink Veritaserum. He was questioned about the incident, but the only thing they asked if he made the bicycle tire Portkey that the prisoners used. When he answered yes, the questioning was done. He was convicted to spend the rest of his life in Azkaban.

They even contemplated having him kissed by a Dementor. That decision still hadn’t been made.

How could his life end up like this? What would he ever say to his wife, Constance, and six year old daughter, Ashley? He would not even get a chance to say goodbye to them. In another hour, he would be getting a Portkey to Azkaban, where there would be no escape.

It was now six o’clock in the evening. When he left his home this morning, he had planned on being home thirty minutes ago. He should be sitting down to his dinner and telling Ashley to sit still and be patient until her Mummy gets dinner on the table. Instead he was sitting in this cell facing the living hell of Azkaban.

There was a clatter of steel moving against steel as Aurors opened the metal door to gain access to the cells. Several Aurors shuffled through the door. Savage was leading the group.

“Time to go and pay for your deeds, you scum,” Savage taunted him.

“I didn’t do anything wrong,” he pleaded.

With a flick of his wand Savage tossed him against the stone wall. “Shut your mouth,” Savage yelled. He started to laugh. “Yeah that would be bloody good advice for you.”

“Get in there and check him before sending him off to his fate,” Savage ordered two Aurors who accompanied him. The one was a heavy set man, that he seemed to remember was called Proudfoot. The other was a woman, he couldn’t remember her name. She was short squat and had a hard look on her round face.

She held the Portkey while Proudfoot clamped manacles and shackles on him. He stepped back and took the Portkey, a thick porcelain tea cup, from the short woman. He placed in Gabriel’s hands. Stepping back Proudfoot touched his wand to the Portkey activating it. Just before the world starting spinning he could swear that Proudfoot winked at him.

The intense spinning was making him sick. It had always been ironic that he was one of the best at making Portkeys but he also almost always got sick when traveling by them. He slammed onto the stone floor of a room. The surroundings were dark and grey. There was the feeling of desperation and cold that seemed to overwhelm and take control of his senses. He could feel strong hands grab his arms and lift him up off the floor.

“Stand him up so he can be kissed,” a nasty nasal voice ordered the hands that held him.

They roughly stood him up and tried to release their grip from his arms, but he just collapsed onto the floor again. It seemed that his body had no strength left in it. They grabbed him again and held him up.

“Pull his head back,” ordered nasty nasal voice.

A hand grabbed his hair and pulled so he was staring straight forward. A Dementor floated in front of him. Beside it stood a hawkish looking man with a huge beak of a nose. He stepped forward and grabbed the Portkey out of his hands.

Gabriel felt a pull behind his navel, and the world started to spin again with the two guards still holding onto him. He could hear them shouting. It was obvious even in his present state of mind that this wasn’t planned.

They landed with a thud on a grassy field. There was a flash of spell fire and the hands that held him were gone. He couldn’t look up. He was too afraid of what might be waiting for him. He was confused as to what this last Portkey was.

“Mr. Brandenburg, you need to stand up so we can get out of here,” said a familiar kind voice.

Lifting his head he saw the Headmaster of Hogwarts standing over him. He couldn’t understand what he was doing here.

“Headmaster, what — what is happening?”

“We are doing what is right, not what is easy,” said the Headmaster.

Gabriel stared at him confused.

“Can you stand up? We must Apparate away, before the Aurors arrive.”

The Headmaster offered Gabriel his hand. Grabbing the Headmaster’s hand Gabriel was able to stand up. He was in some random field, and the two guards were unconscious on the ground.

“Hold on tight,” said the Headmaster.

The feeling of being squeezed though a keyhole gripped him; the next thing he saw was an old beaten up wood door with peeling paint and a snake for a knocker. The Headmaster kept a hold on him and opened the door to a beaten up and dirty entrance hall.

Gabriel tried to walk into the house, but the shackles made walking nearly impossible.

“Let me rid you of those.” The Headmaster tapped the manacles and shackles. They fell off his wrists and ankles with a loud clatter on the floor. “We need to talk. I am sure you have many questions and so do I.”

The Headmaster grabbed his elbow and moved towards and an archway in the entrance hall. When Gabriel stepped around the corner, he heard the squeal of his daughter Ashley. She had been kneeling on the floor petting a large black dog. She jumped up, ran to him, and wrapped her arms around his legs.

“Daddy, where have you been? Can I keep the doggie?” she asked excited.

Gabriel ignored her. He looked over at his wife sitting on the large couch by the fireplace. There were unshed tears in her grey eyes. Her face was drawn with deep creases in her forehead. He saw she was wringing her hands in her lap. It was a sign that she was nervous, scared, or possible both.

“Please, have a seat,” said the Headmaster indicating a space beside his wife.

Gabriel moved slowly over and sat beside Constance. She looked so scared that he put an arm around her shoulder. He could feel her shaking from fear or was it him that was shaking? Ashley didn’t join them. She sat down beside the black dog and started petting it.

“I know you have many questions, but I need a few answers before I can answer all of them,” said the Headmaster. “First, I know you made the Portkey, but I also believe that you were probably Imperioused and then Obliviated by the Auror Savage. Do remember the interrogation with Fudge?”

“I just remember him asking me to answer a few questions.”

“You were under the influence of Veritaserum, so I believe you would not be able to remember very much. Madam Bones was able to extract a memory from you. We looked at it and noticed a gap in it. This can only happen when someone is Obliviated. The gap was from when you reached for the tire until after you made the Potkey. The only other person in your office was Savage. Even if there was someone else, he should have reported it.

“I am not guilty, then. I can go free,” He said excitedly.

“I wish it was that easy. Fudge, the Minister, needs you to be guilty. It is easier to explain that a person in the magical transportation department is corrupt rather than explaining that an Auror is.”

“But he Imperioused me,” pleaded Gabriel.

“Yes, I believe so, but can you prove it,” said the Headmaster.

Gabriel realized that was the truth. He couldn’t prove that he actually was Imperioused unless Savage confessed to doing it. “I’ll never be able to show myself in Britain or Europe again without being arrested.”

The realization of his fate overwhelmed him. He was now a fugitive from the law. He could never go out without fearing he could be arrested. He didn’t want to spend the rest of his life running from the law. He couldn’t ask Constance and Ashley to run with him. His wife must have sensed his distress and gently took his hand. It was good to feel her hand again. The only bright spot he found was he hadn’t been kissed by a Dementor.

“I have a proposition for you and your family,” said the Headmaster. “I believe that Cornelius Fudge is taking advice from Death Eaters. He may not be one, or even believe that he is aiding them in implementing their agenda, but everything he does seems to support them and work against people who would oppose them. When Voldemort comes back into power, I believe he will have complete control of the Ministry.”

Gabriel felt Constance stiffen at the mention of the Dark Lord’s name.

“I thought he was dead. Harry Potter killed him,” Gabriel said.

“Harry stopped him before, but alas he isn’t dead only weakened. I have reliable sources that believe he is back in Britain and regaining power.”

“No!” Constance almost shouted, “Does that mean he will attack half-bloods and Mudbloods?” she asked. Her eyes were wide with fear. She was a Muggle born, which made Ashley a Half-blood.

“I am afraid he will continue with his old prejudices,” said the Headmaster. He stopped talking and stared at Constance for several seconds. “Constance Williams, is that your maiden name?”

“Yes, Headmaster, Hufflepuff graduated in 1985,” replied Constance. “I am a Mudblood.”

The Headmaster frowned at her. “Please don’t use that term in my presence. You were born to Muggle parents, but that doesn’t make you any less worthy of being a member of our society.”

Gabriel realized that even if he hadn’t been wrongly convicted of setting prisoners free, he would still have to leave Britain to protect his wife.

“We have no choice but to leave Britain,” he sadly told his wife.

“Where will we go, dear?” She asked him. She was pale as tears leaked from her eyes.

“If you want to leave, North America would be your best place,” stated the Headmaster. “Or, you could help us fight against Voldemort and the Death Eaters.”

Gabriel couldn’t help himself. The thought of him battling someone like Lord Voldemort or Bellatrix Lestrange was so ridiculous that he laughed aloud. “I am no great dueler.”

“You don’t have to be,” replied the Headmaster. “I understand that you are the best in the Ministry at making Portkeys.”

“Yes, I am,” he stated without boasting. He had been regarded as such for several years.

“Having Portkeys available to transport injured or trapped people would be helpful,” The Headmaster said quietly. He turned his attention to Constance. “I remember that you wanted to be a healer.”

“Yes, I did,” she replied gobsmacked that someone as important as Albus Dumbledore would remember her. “I was in my second year of training when we found out about Ashley. I was thinking about going back and completing the training now that Ashley is older.”

Gabriel could feel her disappointment, so he put an arm around her shoulders.

“We could use the two of you and also your child can stay with us. You will be safe, but you will not be able to freely roam around Britain. This house you are in is protected by a Fidelius Charm. If you leave, you will never be able to find it. We have other homes that are just as well protected. Eventually we will be able to have access to these homes.

“Unfortunately, you must stay here at the present time. The house needs a great deal of cleaning, but we have a large and energetic family coming over to take care of those things. We will gladly allow you to stay here, but we will expect you to pitch in and help clean the house up.

“I do not expect your answer right this minute, but I will need to know tonight.” The Headmaster stood up and looked around the room. “I am rather hungry. Would you like for me to send up some food for you?”

“Yes, please,” said Constance. “Headmaster, would we ever need to fight?”

“If things get bad, you may be faced with that dilemma. You will need to make your decision then. Remember, that there is more to any army than just the fighters.”

Gabriel hugged his wife as he watched the Headmaster walk out of the room. He stopped by the archway and stared at the large dog that was curled up on the floor with Ashley draped over top of his back. The dog seemed to know that the Headmaster was leaving. The great big black dog slowly stood up and allowed Ashley who was half asleep to slide off his back. It calmly padded it way out of the room and after the Headmaster.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore had started up the stairs to the dining/communication room when Sirius changed from a dog to his human form. They walked for several feet before speaking.

“If he wasn’t the best at making Portkeys would you still have saved them?” asked Sirius.

“Yes, we will have use for all types of people before long. You realize Sirius that we may not be able to keep everyone unjustly sentenced to Azkaban out of that horrid place. Once Voldemort returns the Ministry will quickly fall, and then we may be powerless to save any innocent person from going there.”

Sirius grunted at his statement. “Thank you for saving him and his family,” Sirius said respectfully to him.

“You’re welcome,” he replied with a smile. “I have a question for your group. I need a Professor for Defense classes. Would you or Remus be interested in teaching it? There are some things that I need to communicate with your group and it would be best if you were all at Hogwarts. Talk it over with them. I need your answer very soon. The Hogwarts letters have already been sent out. I don’t want the board of Governors to pick someone. They might give me some Ministry crony.”

“I’ll talk it over with them. Will we be able to leave and return to the school to work on our mission?” asked Sirius

“I was hoping to join you on a few of these missions. So yes, that was part of my plan.” He stared at Sirius to try to determine if he liked the idea. He knew not to use Leglimency, because they all seemed to suspect him of violating their thoughts. “Shall we see the newest members of the Order of the Phoenix?

They walked into the communication room. Francis Proudfoot and Madam Bones were both there.

“Thank you Francis for helping that young man escape a terrible fate,” he said to the large Auror.

“Once I found out that he had been processed so quickly and scheduled to be kissed, I knew he had been set up. Besides, I never liked that pure blood fanatic Savage. Are you sure I can’t go back to the Department? I could find out more information for you.”

“No, Francis that won’t be necessary,” replied Madam Bones. “We have another source for information, and Savage will be able to figure out you had helped them escape. What you did was very brave.”

The old Auror blushed at her comment. He bowed slightly. “Thank you Madam Bones.”

Back to index


Chapter 15: A New Professor

Author's Notes: It's time for Harry and everyone to return to Hogwarts. There won't be much Harry and Ginny time in this chapter or the next. Without Harry and Ginny going to Hogwarts and Sirius being freed from Azkaban earlier than canon, there are several changes from the books. I am also moving the final conflict forward much faster than in the books. I promise that soon you will have some Harry and Ginny time.
I would like to thank Leif for doing a good job Beta-ing this chapter.


Sirius looked at Harry and Ginny studying. They were sitting across from each other at a wide honey pine table in the library of Potter Manor in England. They were each reading from a book while making notes on a parchment with a quill. They seemed to be concentrating solely on their studies, except when you looked under the table. Their feet were intertwined. He wondered if they even realized they were touching each other.

“Must you two always be touching?” he shouted, and then laughed a loud barking laugh when they jumped.

Harry and Ginny looked at him then at each other. It was obvious they didn’t realize their feet were intertwined.

“Your feet,” he said pointing at their feet under the table.

Ginny realizing their feet were touching and ran her bare foot up Harry’s leg. “Why is it such a problem for you? Maybe if you found someone….”

“Don’t start on me about settling down and becoming respectable,” he quickly told her. “I am quite happy the way I am; single and active.”

Harry smiled at him. “You will never change, will you Padfoot?”

“No never,” he said with a laugh. He stopped smiling and became solemn. “I need to talk to everyone. Where are Bill and Remus?”

“I am over here,” said Moony from the corner of the library. “I think Bill is in the classroom preparing the next exam.”

“No, I am here. I heard Padfoot coming back. How did everything go with the trial?”

“Not good,” he said with a growl.

“What, it was an open and shut case!” shouted Bill.

“Whoa, calm down,” Sirius pleaded with the angry Curse-Breaker.

“Fudge tried to convince the Wizengamot that your Father did something that made it justifiable for the attackers to fire Killing Curses…,”

“Were they acquitted?” asked a shocked Bill.

“No, but they aren’t in Azkaban.” Sirius held up his hands as the room erupted with questions. “If everyone will have a little patience and let me explain all the details. This will go much faster, there were a lot of developments today.”

He spent the next ten minutes retelling the events of the day. How the six attackers had been Portkeyed to another location and escaped. The Ministry sentenced Gabriel Brandenburg to be kissed by a Dementor, and Dumbledore and Madam Bones had arranged his escape, because it was obvious that he had been Imperioused. He finished up with telling them that the Order now has Madam Bones, the Auror Proudfoot, and the Brandenburg family as new members. Everyone looked to be in shock.

“There was one other thing, Dumbledore asked us to move into Hogwarts and one of us to become this year’s Professor for Defense Against the Dark Arts.” Once again Sirius held up his hands to stave off the questions. “Let me say a couple of things about Dumbledore’s request.

“First, he needs a Professor and Harry and Ginny need to expand their education.

“Second, Dumbledore is still the most intelligent wizard in the world. He may be manipulative and he might withhold all the facts, but he can be a real help to our mission.

“Third, We need to help recruit people to our side. When Voldemort returns, we will need people who others trust and believe in us. It would help our cause if Harry became public. Gain the trust of people. Since the Ministry is obviously corrupt, getting the Hogwarts staff and children to trust you will be a great start. I realize that it may take time for people to believe and trust us, but we must start sometime soon. We kept Harry hidden because of his inexperience with magic. After seeing what he did to those six at the Burrow. I think he can take care of himself.”

Sirius stopped talking and waited for the arguments to start. To his surprise, no one said anything. They all sat or stood there deep in thought. Remus was the first to respond.

“After hearing what you just said, I think all of us moving into Hogwarts would be an advantage to us and the fight against Voldemort. The thing that has me bothered the most is that was a very logical and mature explanation. Padfoot, my old friend, you seem to be maturing. I never thought I would see the day when that would happen,” Remus said while pretending to wipe tears from his eyes.

Everyone laughed at Remus’ comment, including Sirius. After the laughter died down, Sirius looked at Harry.

“What is your decision, Harry?” He noticed Harry looking around the room at everyone. “Harry, it is time you get used to people looking at you as an adult leader of the fight against Voldemort. You are going to need to gain people’s confidence if you want them to follow you.”

“But I don’t want them to follow me. I am only thirteen in actual years.”

“You are considered an adult, because of the soul bond,” stated Remus. “Padfoot is correct. We pulled you away from magical society because you weren’t ready to face your fame and position. The decision to go to Hogwarts should be yours, because you are the one that will be most affected by the move.”

Harry ran his hand through his hair just like James used to do. It had the same effect of making it stick up in every direction. “Am I ready for this?”

Bill snorted a laugh. “Look what you have done over the past few months. You faced off with Albus Dumbledore and won. You faced off with Lucius Malfoy and won. Those two would have intimidated ninety percent of the population.”

“All right, we will do this, but I can’t be a Professor I haven’t even passed my NEWTs.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron Weasley pulled his trunk through the crowded corridor of the train. He wanted to find a compartment to hide from Hermione. The past month she had Owled him two or three times a week asking how his family was. He would only send back very vague answers in his Owls. The next Owl he received would be more demanding than the last. He knew the next time he saw her she would prod him incessantly for answers. As much as he trusted her, he wasn’t sure how much he should tell her about what he saw this summer.

Compartment after compartment was filled. He thought he was early, because the train didn’t leave for another ten minutes. He saw Penelope Clearwater. A girl he had petrified last year. He wasn’t sure if Dumbledore told the victims he had let the basilisk out of the chamber, but he didn’t want to take the chance.

A hand grabbed his arm and tugged him back towards a compartment he had just passed. He started to pull away and yell at the person until he saw it was Hermione. He straightened up and waited for the yelling to start. He supposed he would deserve it, even though he had orders from his parents not to write back to her.

“Well are you going to sit with us?” she hissed at him.

Looking over her shoulder, he saw Neville Longbottom sitting there. He would have been more comfortable sitting alone with Hermione.

“All right, I’m coming,” he said shakily as he pulled his trunk into the compartment.

Neville stood up and helped him with the trunk. Ron looked before he sat down and saw Hermione was already sitting down with her arms crossed across her chest. It was obvious he wasn’t going to escape the interrogation.

“Where are Dean and Seamus?” Ron asked trying to make small talk.

“They are sharing a compartment with the Patils and Lavender,” stated Hermione coldly. “It will only be us.”

“Hello, can I come in?” asked the unmistakable voice of Luna Lovegood.

“Sure, come in,” replied Ron.

He hoped that her presence would keep Hermione from digging too deep to find out what he knows. He stood and helped her with her trunk. He sat back down on the same side as Neville, but not directly across from Hermione.

Luna sat beside Hermione. She looked at Hermione, and then at Ron before pulling out her kaleidoscope glasses. She placed them on the bridge of her nose and oohed and aahed while appearing to look Ron up and down.

She was staring at him without saying anything to him. She was being extremely annoying. “What is so interesting?” he questioned her.

“You appear to be infested with whimperbees,” she said brightly. “They are interesting little insects that are attracted to people’s fear. Last year the castle was filled with them. What are you afraid of Ron?”

“Yes, Ronald what are you afraid of?” asked Hermione.

“No-nothing, there aren’t things called whimperbees,” he protested. “You’re just making that up.”

Hermione grabbed the glasses and looked through them. “Oh my just look at all the wimperbees gathering around Ron,” she said sardonically. She handed the glasses back to Luna. “Why don’t you tell us what has you so afraid, Ronald?”

He hated it when she spoke to him like that it reminded him of his Mum when she was disciplining him. At least Hermione wasn’t standing with her hands on her hips. She was sitting there with her arms crossed across her chest and a smug look on her pretty face.

The train jerked and started moving away from the platform. Ron looked out the window while trying to ignore the three sets of eyes staring at him. He wasn’t a coward. He just wasn’t permitted to tell everything to anyone. Can he even trust Hermione, Neville, and Luna? He glanced at the door to the corridor, before turning back to Hermione.

“Look I can’t tell you everything that happened this summer with my family,” he said rather harshly.

“That is fine Ron,” said Luna told him sympathetically. “It must be difficult to be so closely involved with overthrow of the Ministry.”

“No one is trying to overthrow the Ministry,” he nearly shouted at her. Pulling his wand, he pointed at the door and silently cast a Silencing Charm that Bill and Remus had taught him.

“What was that for?” asked a shocked Hermione.

Ron looked at them. They all were looking at him anxiously. He realized that pulling his wand out after being agitated at Luna must have appeared suspicious. “Sorry, it was a Silencing Charm. I can’t tell you everything, but what I tell you; you can’t repeat it. So you all need to promise.”

“Sure Ron, I promise,” said Neville.

“You can trust me too,” said Luna.

Ron looked at Hermione. She had an unreadable look on her face. “I couldn’t write and tell you anything, because Mum and Dad wouldn’t let me. They were afraid that our Owls would be intercepted.”

Hermione’s expression seemed to soften a little. “Why would they think that?”

“You were at the wedding, Hermione. Our home was attacked. Some of them were Ministry employees. Then we go on vacation for a week and when we were gone a bloke was trying to break in to our home. We get home for one day and that night six wizards show up and try to break our wards. When Professor Dumbledore shows up, they try to kill him and everyone with him. So, yes, we are concerned about people watching us and trying to read or Owls.”

“Did you enjoy your vacation?” asked Luna.

Ron looked at her surprised. She asked the question as though everything he told them before was an everyday event. “Yes, I did. We went to Egypt where Bill had been working breaking curses on treasure vaults.”

“That sounds exciting,” said Neville. “Is your family all… all right?”

Ron smiled at Neville as he stumbled over the last part of his poorly worded question. “Yeah, they are all just fine.”

He looked over at Hermione. She was looking peaky. “What is wrong Hermione?”

“I read that a person from the Ministry had been convicted of helping six wizards escape from Azkaban. Were they the six that attacked your home?”

Ron was unsure how to answer Hermione. He wasn’t supposed to say anything about what she asked. It was the same group, but the man convicted of allowing them to escape was working with for the Order of Phoenix. Ron had met him and his family. He looked at Hermione and started to talk but wasn’t sure what to say, so he just moved his mouth.

Hermione broke out in giggles. “Nice imitation of a fish, Ron.”

“Does anyone want to play a game of Exploding Snap?” asked Neville.

“Yeah, I do,” said Ron, grateful for the change of subject. He hoped that he had satisfied Hermione’s need to know.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron sat at the Gryffindor table waiting for the sorting ceremony to finish so he could eat. It seemed that everyone was excited to be back, because they were all talking so loudly that it was almost impossible to hear anyone speaking to you. Hermione was staring at someone further up the Gryffindor table towards the head table. She went to ask him something, but he couldn’t even hear her across the table.

The Headmaster stood up to announce the start of the sorting. Ron tuned most everything out as the little runts were sorted into the different houses. He applauded for the Gryffindors, but he couldn’t remember any of their names.

After all the first years were sorted, the Headmaster stood up again. Ron groaned as he realized that he wouldn’t be able to eat for a few more minutes.

“Welcome to another year of filling your minds with knowledge at Hogwarts,” said the Headmaster over the crowd. “I will be brief…,”

That would be brilliant, because I am starving. Ron thought to himself as he tuned out the Headmaster. All he could think about was what would be on the platters when they appeared in front of him.

“…our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, William Weasley.”

Ron looked up from the table and stared at his brother standing at the head table. He looked back at Hermione who only rolled her eyes at him.

“We also have four teaching assistants this year,” said the Headmaster. “Please stand up.”

Four people stood up at the front of Gryffindor’s table. It was Ginny, Harry, Sirius, and Remus. Ron again looked at Hermione. This time she glared at him with one of her know-it-all stares. He looked back up and clapped with the rest of the Gryffindors.

“I would like to introduce to you; Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Harry Potter and his wife Ginny Potter.”

Fred and George stood up and cheered wildly for Ginny, who blushed in response. The rest of the hall sat there and whispered. It was obvious to Ron that they were surprised to see Harry Potter at Hogwarts.

“They will be helping everyone to get up to speed with Defense Against the Dark Arts curriculum. Please show them the same respect that you would any of the other Professors. Now tuck in.”

Food appeared on platters on all the tables. Ron already had a roast chicken leg in his mouth and was forking several boiled potatoes before anyone else even had the first serving on their plate.

“Is that one of things you couldn’t tell us?” asked Hermione over the sound of forks and knives scraping the plates.

“I didn’t know they would be here,” he said between bites.

They didn’t say anything else until they were filing out of the great hall. Ron was curious if Ginny or any of the others would speak to him. It bothered him a bit to be ignored like that. He will need to speak with Fred and George to see if they knew.

“My, my, it looks like the Weasleys have finally found a way of earning some actual money,” shouted Draco Malfoy. He was flanked by his two goons Crabbe and Goyle, as he stood in the entrance hall. “They had to because their father sure doesn’t earn enough at his useless job at the Ministry.”

A flash of anger raged through Ron. In the past he would have done something stupid like punch Malfoy and lose points for Gryffindor. Ever since talking that one night with Ginny, he had a new perspective on being wealthy.

“We don’t determine the value of the person by how much money they earn. Money doesn’t buy happiness. Look at that sour face of yours and it is obvious to everyone.”

All the Gryffindors around Ron laughed at his comment. Hermione’s laughter was the loudest.

“Shut up you Mudblood. You will get yours Weasley.” Draco pulled his wand as he spoke, but it was grabbed out of his hand by Harry.

Standing behind Harry was Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Sirius beamed with joy.

“Why Draco, you know you are not allowed to say that word at Hogwarts. Five points from Slytherin house. You are also not allowed to pull your wand on another student that will be another five points from Slytherin house and a week of detention,” said Sirius. “Now go to your common room.”

Harry handed him his wand back. Draco took it and left in a hurry with his two goons right behind him.

“Is everything all right here?” asked Ginny with Luna right beside her.

“Yeah, everything is brilliant,” said Ron. “Why didn’t you tell me that you were going to be teaching assistants this year?”

“We only found out a few weeks ago, and things have been pretty hectic the past two weeks,” responded Ginny.

“Yeah, you’re right,” said Ron thinking about the long days of cleaning Headquarters at Grimmauld Place. “It was a bit of a shock, but it will be nice to have some back up against the Slytherins.”

“We are not supposed to be biased, Mr. Weasley,” said Sirius sardonically. “Now off to bed.”

When Ron turned around, he saw his entire year staring at him. Hermione was practically beaming at him.

“That was brilliant mate,” said Seamus.

“Yeah, Ron you really put Draco in his place,” said Neville. The rest of the group agreed with him.

“Thanks,” he said meekly to them. He started off towards Gryffindor tower with the rest of them following behind them. All his fears of how people would be treating him melted away. It looked like this might be a brilliant year.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“He took points off Draco and gave him detention,” hissed Severus Snape.

Albus was stuck listening to Severus rant about allowing Remus and Sirius back onto the grounds and making them teaching assistants. He had expected Severus to complain, but at least he hoped it would be after a couple of days instead of the first night. Of course students losing house points before reaching their dormitories was unusual, but it had happened in the past.

“Maybe he had a good reason to deduct house points, Severus. I will ask him tomorrow about it.”

“He will just lie to you,” responded Snape.

“I will ask Mr. Black and determine if the punishment was justified, Severus.” Albus leaned back in his chair and stared at his Potion master. Severus was so one-minded about Harry’s father and his friends that it wouldn’t matter what they ever did. Severus would hate them. “How was your holiday?”

“Fine,” Severus replied, while trying to avoid looking in his eyes.

“Anything unusual happen during the holiday?” He knew that Severus was trapped. He hoped that Severus would tell him about the attack on the Weasleys’. He would hate to lose him as the spy for Voldemort, but he needed to trust him.

“Why do you ask?”

“Severus, do you really think you weren’t recognized along with Lucius Malfoy a month ago at the Burrow. Why did you not tell me about the attack?”

Severus looked at the Headmaster staring him in the eyes. Albus wasn’t naive. He realized that Severus only did this because he had his Occlumency shields in place. It bothered him that a man that he vouched for to keep out of Azkaban would now turn on him. He was willing to give someone a second chance to redeem themselves, but the third and fourth chances would have to be earned.

“Severus, I stood up in defense of you in front of the Wizengamot. I will not do it again if I can no longer trust you.”

Severus looked surprised that he said that. His face went slack for a second as a look of fear washed over his features.

“Lucius Malfoy believes that if he captures Potter he can find the Dark Lord. He wants to capture Potter and interrogate him.

“What were the plans for everyone else at the wedding?”

“He wasn’t specific about anyone else,” responded Severus.

If Albus had not spent so many years with Severus, he may not have caught the lie, but to him it was obvious. He was also privy to the truth.

“Everyone was permitted to kill the others, weren’t they? You walked onto their property ready to kill an entire family and you tried to pretend that it was nothing. I was there also. Were you intending on killing me?”

“I did not intend on killing anyone,” responded Severus coolly.

“Were you going to try to stop them?”

“I only swore to protect Lily’s son.”

Severus stood up straight and stared defiantly at Albus. It bothered him that Severus was acting this way. He was starting to have doubts about their relationship. If he can’t trust Severus, then he may be best served by allowing Severus to hear less and less.

“I did not contact you, because I did not know the plan until I arrived at Malfoy manor. Lucius had been spreading word to former Death Eaters that he had plans to avenge the Dark Lords demise and set things right once again. I attended to find out what he meant. After the attack I didn’t tell you, because I didn’t realize that I was spotted and, after all, no one was actually hurt.”

“I thought you were an ally in the fight against Voldemort. I may need to reassess your position within the Order.” Albus admonished Severus. “While I am contemplating that, I am going to inform you of a decision that I have made. I gave Harry and Ginny and anyone who is accompanying them access to the Potions labs at times that suit them. They have already checked the calendar and assure me that he will be out of the Potions labs before you need the facilities.”

“I did not know the Order was meeting again. Lucius and the Dark Lord’s followers do not trust me since they discovered Order members there.”

“That is a common problem with spies like you. One day you are doing good work, and the next day you are caught between two grindstones with no escape. The Order is reorganizing. I have reliable sources that believe Voldemort is regaining his powers. Do you agree with that?”

Severus stared at the Headmaster. “Your sources are?”

“It does not matter who has informed me. I trust them. Like I said, we need to reassess your position within the Order of Phoenix. Severus, do not take Harry and his entourage lightly. I don’t think taunts will work on them now, so don’t try it. The only thing you may end up doing is alienating yourself from the Order.”

“Am I to assume that you have someone else within the ranks of the Death Eaters to do your spying for you?”

“You can assume what you want, Severus. I will question Mr. Black about the points he took from Slytherin House and also why he gave Mr. Malfoy detention. If it was justifiable then his decision will stand. You are excused.”

Albus watched as Severus left his office. He had shaken Severus by threatening him with removal from the Order of the Phoenix. It may seem like a favor to not ask a person to spy for them, but Albus wasn’t a fool. He knew that Severus was also passing information to the Death Eaters. Much of the information Albus had approved. It was keeping him in good standing with Voldemort. Without that information, Severus’ ability to remain in good standing would quickly diminish. Hopefully, he will become more cooperative. Albus can’t risk the possibility of losing him, but to alienate Harry and his entourage would be even more devastating.

Back to index


Chapter 16: Special Classes

Author's Notes: Harry and company are at Hogwarts working with students and the Headmaster. There are special classes with the Headmaster and Bill is having special classes with some of the students.
I would like to thank Leif for the Beta work on this chapter. After all this time I am still overlooking too many SPaG errors. Thank you!


The great hall was filled with chattering students awaiting the class assignments for the start of the school year. The Heads of Houses were moving about the tables handing out pieces of parchment. All the serious students were anxiously awaiting these assignments.

Ron could wait. He went to classes because it was necessary, but to say he enjoyed them would be an exaggeration.

“Mr. Weasley,” Professor McGonagall said tartly as she handed him his class assignments.

Ron looked down at it and smiled. He had a free period first thing in the morning. He didn’t need to rush off to get his books from the dorm.

“What is your first class?” asked an excited Hermione.

Ron looked at her. She looked nearly as excited as most children would be on Christmas morning. “Transfiguration,” he said.

“Oh,” she replied. The excitement left her face. “That is my second class. I would have thought we would have it together.”

“We probably do. I have a free period first thing this morning.”

“Oh, I suppose you will be having a lie in every morning,” Hermione said haughtily. “I need to get to class.”

Ron watched her leave. She will never understand what it was like to relax and enjoy life. All she ever thinks about are grades and work. He watched as the students filed out of the hall going to class or back to their dorms. He started to think that Hermione had a good idea about having a kip.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron ran as fast as he could around the students in the hall trying to get to his Transfiguration class. He slept longer than he had planned and had a minute to get to class before McGonagall took points off or gave him detention for being late. He skidded into the classroom and looked for a seat. Hermione was sitting beside Parvarti Patil and Susan Bones. There was a seat open on the other side of Susan. He was able to plop down in it seconds before the class started.

“Glad to see you could make it on time, Mr. Weasley,” said Professor McGonagall.

Ron smiled at the Professor. “Glad to be here.”

He could hear Hermione clicking her tongue and letting out an exasperated sigh at his comment. Susan started laughing beside him.

“It would figure that you would be late,” Susan whispered to him.

“Yeah, you know how much I like my beauty sleep,” he whispered to her.

Susan sniggered at his comment. Hermione though let out a little gasp and was staring at him across Susan with a shocked expression. Ron ignored Hermione. He supposed that he just said something he wasn’t allowed to say. Susan’s Aunt had joined the Order and brought Susan by to help clean up Grimmauld place. They had spent almost three weeks working together doing everything from dusting to chasing Doxies out of curtains. Susan was a nice polite girl, who he considered to be a friend. Hopefully it will never happen, but she might also become a part of the Weasley family, if her Aunt and Mother would die in the war.

“This year I will expect all of you to master….” Professor McGonagall started her lecture.

Ron pulled out some parchment, quill, and ink bottle to take notes. With the look that Hermione had given him, he doubted that she would be willing to let him copy her notes from class.

The class progressed like Ron had figured with Professor McGongall lecturing about the upcoming year and explaining their homework assignment and the actual spell that they would attempt during the next class; overall, a boring hour of note taking. McGonagall had finished her lecture exactly twenty seconds before the bell rang. Her ability to time her lectures so precisely always amazed Ron. Certainly she didn’t practice and time them, but after so many years she may just have them all memorized and timed.

“When do you have Defense?” asked Susan.

“Next period,” he replied to her. Her face fell a little at his response. “I suppose you have it at another time.” Ron gathered his books and supplies as he spoke with her.

“Yes, that means one of us have it with the Slytherins,” sighed Susan.

“Ron and I have it with the Slytherins,” said Hermione butting into the conversation. “I overheard Daphne Greengrass discussing her schedule in Arithmancy.”

“I feel sorry for you two,” said Susan. “You do have Bill as the Professor. He should be able to keep the Slytherins under control, if not Sirius will be taking points off them.”

Ron laughed at Susan’s comment. Sirius giving Draco detention and taking ten points off Slytherin had already gone through the grapevine at the school.

“I am sure Professor Weasley is quite capable and Mr. Black will only take points and hand out discipline when necessary,” stated Hermione haughtily.

Susan looked at Hermione then at Ron and rolled her eyes. Ron couldn’t help but laugh at her antics.

“Yes, Hermione I am sure Professor Weasley will be a good Professor too. Well, I am off to Herbology. See you around, Ron,” Susan said, as she ran to catch up with the rest of the Hufflepuffs.

“I didn’t know you and Susan were such good friends,” questioned Hermione.

She was staring at Ron with her left eyebrow raised a little. He had noticed she did this whenever she was in her interrogation mode.

“Yeah, her family and my family spent some time together this summer. I need to get to Defense before my brother docks me points and gives me detention to prove he doesn’t show favoritism.”

“Mind if I walk along with you?”

“No, you’ve got to go there too, don’t you?”

Hermione made a bit of a face to his comment, but walked along beside him to the Defense classroom. Ron looked at her a couple of times out of the corner of his eye. She never looked at him and kept her face locked in a blank expression looking straight forward. They reached the classroom and noticed that the room was divided onto two sections. Slytherins were on the right side and Gryffindors on the left. They went and sat down with the other Gryffindors.

Draco was sitting with his cronies whispering to them as they snickered to each other and glared at Ron or the rest of the Gryffindors.

Ron was sitting there trying to ignore the Slytherins, when he heard Hermione let out with an exasperated sigh. He looked to see what caused her to react in that manner. She was looking at Lavender and Parvarti.

They were reapplying their makeup and checking their robes like they were getting ready to impress someone. Bill walked into the classroom, and Ron realized who they were trying to impress. The thought of two girls his age trying to impress his older brother made him feel two things. One was sick because Bill was way too old for them. The other was amusement, because he was so much older, and from what he had heard, quite active with adult women.

“Good Morning everyone,” said Bill to the class. He waved his wand and the door to the classroom closed. “I am Professor Weasley. Headmaster Dumbledore has tasked me with getting you all up to speed with your Defense curriculum. I understand that for the past two years the Professors were somewhat inadequate. Therefore the first thing I am going to do is give you a test…,”

Bill had to stop talking because everyone except Hermione groaned and started to complain. Hermione’s hand shot in the air.

“Yes, Miss, I believe it is Granger,” Bill said pointing at Hermione.

“Professor, we didn’t have time to prepare for a test. It would hardly be fair to give us a test that would affect our grade without proper time to prepare.” The rest of the class agreed with her, even the Slytherins.

“That is a good point, if this test was for a grade,” said Bill. “What this test is for is to see what your level of understanding is on this subject. I won’t even be looking at each of your individual scores. I want to see if there is any area of your education that needs revisited. The test is based on the school governor’s expectations of what you should know at the end of the second year.”

Bill proceeded to take roll before handing out the test to all the students. Ron looked down at it and mentally groaned. It was a lot of information that he had basically forgotten. Even if he had learned it last year, he would have forgotten it by now. Dipping his quill in his ink bottle, he started scratching out answers to the questions.

Hermione finished her test before everyone else. She even went through the answers again before setting her quill down. The test wasn’t as bad as what Ron thought it would be. He thought he had done alright. There were a couple of things that he had no clue what the question was referring to, but he tried to answer it anyway.

“Miss Granger, if you are done. You can hand your test in and go to your next class. We won’t be covering anything else today,” said Bill. “That goes for anyone else that is finished.”

Ron looked at Hermione. She seemed to be disappointed that she could leave. Ron shook his head at her actions as he went back to work. He had finished the test five minutes before the bell rang. Almost half the class was gone by the time he finished. When he took his exam to the front of the room, Bill gestured to him before he could leave.

“I need to talk to you after class,” he whispered.

Ron just nodded and went out to hall to wait for the bell to ring. After the rest of the students left, he went back inside. Bill was organizing the tests.

“What do you want?” Ron asked.

“Professor.”

“What?”

“Call me Professor or sir when we are in school, Mr. Weasley,” said Bill. “What I wanted to talk to you about is the possibility of special classes. I was wondering if you can think of anyone you could trust and would enjoy a little extra work on practical Defense work.”

“Yeah, Hermione would always want a little extra studying and practice.”

Bill gave him a sly smile. “You can trust her?”

“Oh yeah, I can trust her. She was at the wedding and hasn’t said anything to anyone about what happened.”

“Good, we don’t want these classes to be advertised to all of the school just yet. We will be meeting in the evening after dinner for about an hour starting tomorrow night. Be prepared for some hard work.”

He asked Hermione about the classes that night after dinner. She had a hundred questions from what type of curriculum they would be covering, what books she should read for reference to the subjects that would be covered, to what she should wear. He listened to the first ten or fifteen questions, before answering the rest with an “I don’t know, Hermione”.

The next day went by quickly except for Potions. Snape seemed to be taking points from Gryffindor for anything including breathing too loud or with your mouth open. When the time came for Hermione and him to leave for the special class, they had decided to go to the library then to Defense classroom from there. Hermione had suggested the plan. She believed that no one would notice the two of them leaving at the same time from the library.

They arrived at the classroom and the first thing Ron noticed was his family was there. Percy was there with the Head Girl Penelope Clearwater. Fred and George were sitting with Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson. Ginny and Harry were sitting in the classroom too. Ron realized that he hadn’t seen them since the opening feast. Sirius and Remus were also there.

“Come in and close the door, Ron,” said Bill from the front of the room. “Before we begin, let me seal the room.”

Bill started to wave his wand around while chanting an incantation. Ron could hear Penelope whispering to Percy. She didn’t look comfortable with what Bill was doing. The walls glowed with a pale blue light, as he cast his spell. Bill made one last flourish with his wand. The bluish light seemed to sink into the walls with a squelching sound.

“There the room is sealed,” Bill said.

“Professor Weasley, what are we here to do tonight?” asked Percy in a very officious manner.

“The quick answer is help Harry and Ginny train. Hopefully, you will get some knowledge and experience from all of this. Before anyone asks anymore questions, let me explain further.

“Harry and Ginny need live Defense work. They need to be able to take on large numbers by themselves…,”

“You can bet Voldemort and his Death Eaters won’t be dueling one on one with Harry and Ginny. They will attack from behind and in great numbers,” said Sirius.

Penelope nearly jumped out of her seat and squealed when Sirius said Voldemort.

“Thank you, Mr. Black. As I was trying to explain, we need people to attack Harry and Ginny. The object of this exercise is for them to be able to sense when a spell is coming at them without seeing it. This type of exercise is advanced Auror training, so none of you will ever need to worry about this being a part of the curriculum. All of you up, stand up, so we can get the desks and chairs out of harm’s way.”

Ron stood up with Hermione. She was looking rather uncomfortable at what was going on. Bill, Sirius, and Remus were moving the furniture up against the wall. As each piece of furniture hit the wall it would glow blue for a second before a squelching noise indicated it was protected from damage. Everyone else seemed a little uncertain at what was going on with these special lessons. Even Fred and George seemed rather reserved.

“Harry, I want you to stand in this circle,” Bill said while drawing a circle six feet in diameter on the floor in the middle of the room. “The rest of you spread out so you completely surround Harry, and there isn’t someone directly across from you. If Harry can’t neutralize your spell and he avoids it, I don’t want anyone else hurt.”

Ron shuffled over to a spot by the door. Hermione seemed a little uncertain too as she looked for a spot. Everyone else was also moving hesitantly to find a spot. Bill, Remus, and Sirius started moving people to the proper locations. Remus led Hermione a few feet to her left before coming to Ron.

When everyone was finally set, Bill shouted out, “Attack!”

Ron and everyone else stood there holding their wands staring.

“Professor Weasley,” said Hermione. “I am afraid of hurting Mr. Potter.”

Bill, Sirius, and Remus all laughed at her comment.

“Let’s give you an idea of Mr. Potter’s abilities,” replied Bill. “I want everyone to get a good grip on their wand. I am going to count while Harry disarms all of you. How many seconds do you think it will take him?”

“I say two,” yelled Remus.

“No, that is too slow. I say one,” Sirius said.

Ron had to laugh. It would be impossible to cast eight spells in eight different directions in two seconds.

“Go, one thousand one, one…,”

Harry moved his wand at speeds that Ron had never seen before. He wasn’t even looking in the direction he was aiming, but each spell hit true, even the three he cast over his shoulders.

“…thousand two.” Bill stopped counting.

“Two seconds, Sirius,” shouted Remus.

“They were all disarmed in one, it took an extra second for the wands to hit the ground…,”

Ron tuned them out. He looked around the circle to see everyone else was as amazed at what just happened. Hermione was actually staring at Harry with her head slightly cocked to the one side.

“Pretty impressive,” he said to her.

She turned to look at him. “Unbelievable is more like it.”

“All right, everyone grab their wand and try to hex Harry,” shouted Bill. He waited until everyone got their wands, before he shouted to attack.

Ron fired off a Petrificus Totalis, which Harry deftly countered without looking Ron’s direction. After everyone cast a spell without hitting Harry, they all stopped.

“Don’t stop,” shouted Bill. “Keep firing spells. I would like to get Harry about fifteen minutes to twenty minutes of defending, before Ginny takes her turn. Come on everyone. Whoever hits Harry gets a 100 percent on their next exam without needing to take it. Let’s fire away.”

Ron started firing every hex he could think of, along with everyone else. The room was noisy with hexes being shouted and looked like a fireworks display with all the lights from those spells. Everyone cast spells for fifteen minutes without stopping. Ron finally had to stop. He was exhausted and it looked like everyone else was too. The only person who didn’t seem to be exhausted was Harry, and he was able to block everyone’s spells.

“How can he do that?” asked Lee Jordan. “I am exhausted.”

“We train for an hour a day,” said Harry. “Hey, let’s show them.”

“I am getting pretty bored over here,” said Ginny. “Us four against you; you can use your cloak.”

Ginny tossed Harry his cloak and he tied around his neck. Ron hadn’t even noticed that he hadn’t been wearing it. Without warning they started to battle. If Ron was impressed by what Harry did against him and the students? He was amazed by what he was seeing now. There were spells flying at a faster pace with only five people casting them. No one said a single spell, so he had no idea what they were. He wondered why Ginny had given Harry the cloak, until a spell hit him on the cloak. The spell seemed to reflect off the cloak without harming him.

“Dragon hide,” shouted George. “Those cloaks are dragon hide they can resist spells.”

They stopped the exercise a few minutes later. Harry was finally breathing heavy from exertion.

“Why do you need us to cast spells?” asked Penelope Clearwater. “You are much more advanced than we could ever be.”

“Part of this exercise is for Harry’s benefit, but part of it is for yours,” said Bill. “I haven’t told you all the reasons why I asked you here tonight. I am hoping to start up what might be called a dueling club, and something else. There will also be an advanced Defense club for students who want to develop their Defense and dueling abilities. We could have it for students at all grade levels, and we could also use it to help some of the slower students to catch up to where they should be for their years at the school.”

“Oi, you just ruined it for George and me,” complained Fred. “Here I thought this was something outside of the class meeting and now you tell us this is an advanced class. People are going to think we are becoming studious.”

Bill laughed at him. “You do not need to worry about that nasty rumor being spread about the school Mr. Weasley.”

“Miss Clearwater, you seem to have some questions about this class. If you do not want to return I will understand and it won’t affect your regular class grade.”

“Are we going to have to duel like Harry or even any of you to pass?”

“This will not be graded as much as it is for refining and perfecting your techniques. This will be more about the practical side of Defense than the theoretical side.”

“Will this be open to the entire school?” asked Hermione.

“The dueling club will be open, but the advanced Defense will not be. It will be by invitation only.”

“No Slytherins, “said Ron.

Bill smiled at him. “We will see.”

“What’s the purpose of learning to duel, if we are teaching the Slytherins,” said Ron. “They are the ones we will be dueling out there.” Ron jabbed his wand in the direction that he thought was outside. Bill seemed to grimace at his comment, but didn’t reply.

“Not all Slytherins are evil, Ronald,” spat Hermione.

“And which one isn’t?” replied Ron harshly. Hermione’s snarky attitude had irritated him.

She seemed a little shocked at his response. “I don’t know, but I am sure there are some.”

“Oh, you are sure there is one that is nice…,”

“Enough,” shouted Bill. “We are here to work on dueling with our wands not our mouths.”

Everyone chuckled at Bill’s comment. Ron looked at his family and their friends. They were all smiling at him. Seeing their smirking faces made him even angrier at Hermione and her optimistic attitude about everyone.

“Ginny, your turn in the center,” said Bill.

Ron turned away from Hermione. He didn’t even want to look at her. He just wanted this evening to be over. He started firing off spells at Ginny. She wasn’t as fast or intuitive as Harry, but she was still good enough to block all the spells fired at her for fifteen minutes. Ron quit before everyone else. He couldn’t keep firing hexes. His voice was hoarse and raspy, and his arms felt like lead weights. Everyone else but Harry and Ginny looked exhausted. Hopefully after a few sessions, his magical strength will improve along with his spell casting.

After the class, he and Hermione were walking back to Gryffindor tower. He wanted to talk to her, but she was in one of her moods. Anything he would say would start her fighting again, but he had to say something.

“Do you think we will ever get as good as Harry and Ginny?” He never expected her to respond.

“We might, but it is highly unlikely. We would have to be bonded like they are…,” Hermione stopped talking and a blush crept up her cheeks.

“We will get better, I hope. I just wish…,” Ron left the sentence unfinished. Hermione had already admonished him for wanting to be like Harry. He didn’t want to go through that again. “I wish we could get some time alone,” he said. Hermione seemed to react to his statement, so he continued. “To practice, Hermione, just to practice,” he said nervously.

“Yes, to practice,” she said rather icily, before picking up the speed of her walk.

Ron watched as she hurried away from him. He had no clue why she was reacting like that. He just wanted to practice to get better. He also didn’t want to her to think he was doing all this to get alone time with her, even though that was a side benefit. It seemed like he could not say three sentences without her getting angry.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Six people were thrown out of the Pensieve in the Headmasters office. The Headmaster and Ginny were able to stay on their feet. The others weren’t so lucky. Bill, Harry, and Sirius were on one knee. Remus was less agile and ended up flat on his back on the Headmaster’s floor.

“You hurt?” Sirius asked his lifelong friend.

“Only my pride,” replied Remus with a smile. “I thought Portkeys were bad.” He took Sirius’ extended hand to pull up off the floor.

“That was Tom’s actual family?” asked Bill. “Not exactly a place for a Lord to get a proper upbringing.”

“The manor house that you saw was his father’s family home,” said the Headmaster. “Did anyone notice anything unusual about the memory?”

“I don’t know if you could call it unusual, but that ring Marvolo Gaunt was wearing was significant,” said Harry.

“Why do you say that Harry?” asked the Headmaster.

Harry looked at the rest of his entourage. He had opened his mouth and now he supposed he had nothing to do but to keep talking.

“Have you ever heard of the Deathly Hallows, Headmaster?” Harry saw a surprised look come over the Headmasters facial expression, but he also seemed to be amused.

“Yes, I know about the Deathly Hallows. How do you know about them?”

“Research,” Harry said quickly. “We came across them in doing our research.”

“What does the ring have to do with the Deathly Hallows?” asked the Headmaster.

Harry could tell he was testing him. “It was the Resurrection Stone. It matched the description and also had the mark of Peverell on it, as Gaunt was so proud to display.”

The Headmasters eyebrows nearly disappeared into his pointed hat on his head. “It matched its ‘description’. Where did you read about a description of the Resurrection Stone?”

“Research,” responded Harry. “Do you think Voldemort would also know about them?”

The Headmaster stood still for several seconds twirling his wand between his fingers. “I cannot answer that question, Harry. Tom had done quite a bit of research into obscure dark magic, but I couldn’t answer if he had investigated the Deathly Hallows.”

“What memory do you want us to see next?” asked Ginny breaking into the conversation.

The Headmaster turned to siphon the last memory out of the Pensieve. Harry looked at Ginny, who gave him a look that said she would explain later. He watched as the Headmaster placed another in the magical stone basin. Harry was the first to lean into the swirling vapors and be sucked into the memory.

Over the next two hours, they had viewed four more memories. Harry felt like his head was going to explode from all the information he had tried to memorize. Remus was responsible for writing things down. He wrote down what each person would tell him what they saw in the memory. He was looking the worst of all. The full moon was in two weeks. Harry still hadn’t perfected the Wolfsbane Potion. So his father’s dear friend and his mentor was going to suffer through another transformation.

“I would suggest that we take a break before we look at any more of these memories,” said the Headmaster.

“I agree. I need to go back to my quarters and grade some papers,” said Bill wearily.

“I would like for us to meet on a regular basis to view these memories,” said the Headmaster. “We can go through them once and then start viewing them all over again.”

“I think that would be wise,” said Harry. “There is too much information to comprehend in one viewing.”

“Very well would next week at this time be good for everyone?” Albus Dumbledore waited for everyone’s confirmation before dismissing them.

A half hour later found Harry and Ginny alone in their private quarters. He had wanted to ask her about the look on her face earlier when they were talking about the Deathly Hallows. He never got the question out.

“Did you see the way Headmaster was rolling his wand in his fingers?” she asked him.

“I hate it when you do that. Yes, I saw him doing that. What does it mean?”

Ginny smiled at him. “I think that was the Elder Wand. He had a strong reaction to you talking about the Deathly Hallows. You ever wonder why he had your family heirloom, the Cloak of Invisibility?”

“I never gave it much thought before, but I see your point. It just seems so strange that Albus Dumbledore would want the Death Stick? It is almost a piece of Dark Magic.”

“Whether it is a dark magical object or just a powerful tool does not matter. I think he has the Elder Wand.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry carefully added the next ingredient. This was the third ingredient he added to the Wolfsbane Potion and so far everything seemed to be working as described in the book.

He spent months reading all of Damocles Belby’s books on Potion making to no avail. It wasn’t until he thought about Belby’s dedication in each book to Ruth Swamproot. She had been his mentor at Potiion making. She wrote only one book about how each person’s magical aura affects their advanced Potion making. It was the one factor he never thought about.

Each time he tried making Wolfsbane, it would fail at a different stage. He started to think about each time he had been brewing it. Ginny had been present, but not always right beside him. He felt slightly guilty to making her sit on the other side of the lab, but so far everything was progressing as it should. Most other wizards and witches would not have his problem, but they were not soul bonded.

“How is it going over there,” shouted Ginny.

Harry smiled at her cheek. She was not that far away. She didn’t need to cup her hands around her mouth and pretend she was calling to him from across a great distance. Remus, Sirius, and Bill thought it was rather funny though as they were laughing at her.

“It’s going good, good, good, good,” he said as though there was an echo.

Ginny broke out in a fit of giggles at his comment. Hearing her laugh made Harry happy. He was happy because he might actually succeed at making the Wolfsbane Potion for Remus, and he was happy because Ginny didn’t seem to be too annoyed at being sent to the opposite end of the room until he can complete the Potion.

“Is Ginny going to be put in detention every time you brew this?” asked Remus.

“I need her to stay a consistent distance away from me, so our magic doesn’t affect the Potion too much. I’ll make it up to her later.”

“I didn’t need to hear that,” complained Bill.

“What is the meaning of this?” hissed the voice of Professor Snape. He had just entered the Potions lab from the hallway.

“Hello, Severus,” said Remus calmly. “Harry is working on a Potion. It is Saturday and the lab was empty, so we decided to use it. The Headmaster was to inform you of this.”

“He did mention it to me,” drawled Professor Snape as he swept over to Harry.

Harry was adding the next to last reagent. He had to wait until the Potion turned sapphire blue before adding the last ingredient. He slowly added the finely chopped root as he stirred the potion counterclockwise. After adding the last piece of root, he moved his glass rod around the cauldron twice before removing it. The Potion kept swirling even after he removed the stirring rod.

“You were supposed to keep stirring for two minutes,” said Professor Snape venomously. “You obviously don’t know how to follow directions.”

“According to Ruth Swamproot, the more magical the Potion is the more the actual brewing method may change according to the person brewing it. The more magically powerful you are the less you need to stir things. That was why I did not continue stirring.”

“Arrogant just like…,” Professor Snape started to say but stopped when the Potion reacted appropriately.

Harry smiled as the Potion turned the tell-tale blue color of sapphires. He added the last ingredient and gave the potion two stirs before removing the glass stirring rod. The Potion should start to emit a steam or smoke like tendrils of mist. It was the sign that the Potion was brewed correctly. It took a very long ten seconds before the mist started to appear. It looked just like the instructions said it would. The low hanging mist would waft down the sides of the cauldron seeming to cling to the metal surface.

“Congratulations Harry,” shouted Remus. He ladled out a tumbler full of Wolfsbane Potion in a glass.

“Remus, you should wait until I can test it to see if it is acceptable,” said Harry anxiously. He didn’t want Remus to take a drink of the Potion to find out it was poison.

“Harry, it is perfect. You know that there isn’t any reliable test for this Potion. The only way to tell if it will work is to drink it.” Remus drank the Potion down in three big gulps. He started to cough before setting the tumbler down on the lab table. “That tastes like a wet dog smells.”

“It does have wolf hair in it,” replied Harry. He was staring at Remus to see if he was feeling any ill effects from the Potion.

“Don’t worry Harry, you got it right,” said Remus.

“Well, Severus, it looks like Harry got something else from his mother beside those bright green eyes,” said Sirius.

Harry looked up at the Potion Master and smiled. He was halfway expecting some type of a compliment. He had just brewed one of the trickiest Potions at the actual age of thirteen. Professor Snape’s eyes widened a bit when Harry’s and his eyes met. Harry could almost sense a bit of shock from him.

“The less of his father he has the better. After dealing with James Potter once, I don’t want to deal with him again,” Severus hissed at Sirius, before turning and walking out of the lab.

Snape’s comment made Sirius jump down off the table he had been sitting on. It took both Remus and Bill to restrain him.

“James was twice the person that you could ever be. That was why Lily chose him over you,” shouted Sirius.

Snape hesitated for a second before slamming the door shut.

“Sirius, you shouldn’t provoke him,” said Remus.

“That greasy git insulted James,” shouted Sirius.

“Yes, he did, but you also insulted him,” countered Remus. “Don’t let him get under your skin. As long as he knows he can do that he will try to make you do something to get us kicked out of here.”

“Yeah, Moony, I know,” sighed Sirius. “Maybe we should have given Peeves a real gun that shot bullets last June, instead of a paintball gun.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The last Saturday of September had a large crowd in the great hall after breakfast. It seemed that almost all the students were staying for the first meeting of the dueling club. Bill looked out over the sea of heads and started to worry. He had hoped for six or seven from each year for each house. He wasn’t sure if he could do anything productive with a crowd this large.

“Attention everyone,” he shouted out to get the students attention. “Attention, will everyone please be quiet and look this way.”

The crowd got a little quieter, but it was still too noisy to start the class. Professor Flitwick was trying to shout, but his squeaky little voice was not audible above the noise of the crowd. The Charms Professor looked at Bill then lifted his wand into the air. He shot a small explosive spell into the air. The noise was so loud that it echoed for several seconds after everyone stopped talking.

“Now that everyone is quiet,” shouted Bill. “Anyone who isn’t planning to participate in the dueling needs to leave. We will not be having any actual competitions today or for some time. When we get to the point where we can have a competitive duel, we will announce it to the school.”

Bill watched as a few students left. There were a couple hundred students here. His plans for the day were shot. He would need to reconfigure the training to accommodate everyone. He looked at Professor Flitwick, who just shrugged at him. It was obvious that he never imagined so many people would show an interest.

“All right everyone. I am Professor Weasley and this is Professor Flitwick. We will be working with you on the proper techniques of dueling. We will be following competitive Dueling rules with a variation. Anyone casting a Dark curse or a Severing hex will be kicked out of this group and disciplined by the Headmaster. You are to disarm or disable your opponent without causing permanent damage.”

Bill lifted a stack of papers with his wand and directed them to Percy. “Please, pass those out to everyone, Mr. Weasley.” He ignored Fred and George shouting that they were the real Mr. Weasley. “The papers going around have a list of spells deemed ‘Dark’ by the Ministry. Do not cast those spells.”

A group of Slytherins chuckled at his statement. He noticed Professor Snape seemed to smile along with his house.

“You will be dueling other students in your same year,” said Bill. “Since we have so many students from each house, you will practice with students from your house and year. We will eventually have an intra-house competition. For today, I want each house with their Heads of House to go to their house tables. Professor McGonagall, would you be so kind as to Transfigure the tables to dueling platforms?”

“Of course, Professor,” she replied.

She turned and waved her wand at the Gryffindor House table. It started to raise and become wider until it was eight feet wide and four feet off the floor. She went over to Hufflepuff House table next.


“While Professor McGongall transfigures the tables, I want the seventh years from each house to pair up. If you have an odd number than one of you will either have to duel a sixth year or go twice. We will have the seventh years start and the younger students can watch and learn…,”

“Professor Weasley,” said Professor Snape. “Perhaps it would be good to have an actual duel to start so the students an idea of how it is properly done?”

“Yes, I was planning on Professor Flitwick and I…,”

Snape interrupted Bill again. “I was wondering if Harry Potter and I could duel. After all, everyone is here to see him duel,” Snape said in an oily voice.

Bill was going to object, but Harry cut him off.

“Sure, I’ll try. I really don’t have a lot of experience doing this, but I’ll give it a try,” said Harry. He walked over to the Hufflepuff dueling platform and climbed up.

Snape was smirking with pleasure at Harry taking his bait. Bill was wondering if Snape knew how good Harry was at casting spells.

“The two opponents are to walk to the far ends of the platform. They are to face each other and bow. Traditionally someone counts to three. Are two ready?” Bill watched as Harry and Professor Snape both nodded after bowing to each other. “One, two, three begin the duel.”

Bill didn’t need to say to begin, as soon as he said three Snape cast some powerful curse at Harry. It looked alike a Bludgeoning Curse. It hit Harry’s Shield and reflected up to the ceiling cause dust to fall on the great hall. Harry countered with some lower level spells like Leg-locking and Petrificus Totalis. Snape was able to easily counter them.

With each counter, Snape kept firing more and more powerful spells at Harry. It seemed to Bill that Snape wanted to hurt or at least embarrass Harry. Harry kept blocking the spells and returning fire with simple hexes, which Snape kept flicking away with ease. Bill was wondering if Harry was trying to get Snape to feel overconfident. Harry had the skill and power to have won this duel a half dozen times. Even though the Potions Professor kept firing a steady barrage of spells, Harry had plenty of time between spells to blast him off the platform.

One of the curses that Snape was firing made it through Harry’s Shield. Harry was knocked backwards off the platform. Bill had to keep from smiling. Harry had let that bleed through. He had blocked that same exact spell four times before. He could have blocked it again, but he decided to let the git of a Professor win.

“Evidently, the great Harry Potter isn’t invincible,” drawled Snape.

A movement from the Gryffindor table caught Bill’s attention. It looked as if Sirius was going to do something, but Ginny was blocking him. She was whispering something in his ear. A smile formed on Sirius’s face as he relaxed.

The Slytherins were all cheering for their Head of House as if he had won some major victory. They must not have noticed that Snape was breathing hard from the exertion of the duel and Harry was still breathing normally. Bill was impressed at Harry’s maturity to allow Snape this small victory when it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

“All right, let’s have the first group of seventh years up on the platforms,” ordered Bill. “The next group to go up can count to start the duel. Professor Flitwick and I will be moving about to help you with your duels and techniques. My teaching assistants will also be available for advice.”

“As long as it isn’t Potter,” shouted someone from the Slytherins.

“Are they actually that clueless,” whispered Professor Flitwick to Bill.

“Why do you say that?” asked Bill.

The small Professor smiled at him. “It was obvious to anyone with knowledge of dueling that Mr. Potter wasn’t trying to win that duel,” he whispered. “Mr. Black or Mr. Potter isn’t going to try to bet money on these duels is he?”

“No, he isn’t,” said Bill, but he looked at Fred and George and wondered if they were. “No, he won’t be trying to take bets from the Slytherins. I hope.” Bill whispered the last sentence. It was more of a prayerful request than a fact. He never knew what Remus and Sirius were going to do.

Back to index


Chapter 17: Hogsmeade Weekend

Author's Notes: A chapter from Ginny's POV. She always heard about Hogsmeade trips from her older brother and wanted to experience. However, it doesn't turn out as she hoped.
My everyday life got in the way of being able to write this chapter. Hopefully, I will be able to get the rest of the chapters out at a faster pace. I would also like to thank my Beta Leif, for turning around this chapter so fast.


Ginny’s body ached from the exertion of the past five hours, and she wasn’t done yet. The midwife was telling her that her baby would be born with the next push.

Her baby, her and Harry’s baby had been growing in her for nine months, and now it is about to be born. Harry had been with her the entire time, he was there holding her right hand, while her mother was holding her left. She always wanted to be a tough woman who didn’t need to be pampered. Harry and her Mum had been very supportive of her the entire time without making her feel weak.

“When the next contraction starts, wait for me to tell you to push. If you push too early it will complicate things,” said the midwife.

“Yes, I will wait.” Ginny stopped talking as pain gripped her again. She squeezed Harry’s and her Mum’s hands with all her might.

“You are doing great love,” whispered Harry, while giving her a brave smile.

“Yes, Ginny dear it will be all over soon enough,” said her mum.

Ginny didn’t answer because she was gritting her teeth to resist the urge to push. Neither one said anything to her; they just allowed her to crush their hands.

“Push Mrs. Potter! Push with all your might,” said the midwife.

Ginny went through the greatest pain in her life and also the greatest joy. She gave birth and heard her baby’s cry. Her mum said that she would suffer the greatest pain she ever felt when she delivered her child, but she would quickly forget all about the pain when she held her baby.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” she asked the midwife.

“It’s a boy,” the midwife replied while she finished swaddling Ginny’s son in a blanket.

Harry and her mum were staring at the baby. They were smiling with pride. The midwife handed Harry the baby. Her mum looked like she wanted to snatch the baby out of his hands, but she controlled herself.

“Oh look he has your eyes, Harry,” said her mum.

Ginny stretched her arms out to Harry. “I want to hold my baby.”

Harry gently placed the baby in her arms. Ginny pulled the baby to her and kissed its head. Her mum was right the pain was gone replaced with joy of holding her child. She turned it to look at its face. With a gasp, she nearly threw her baby across the room.

Its eyes were deformed. They weren’t human. They had a yellowish iris and slits for pupils like a snake’s. She was so shocked that she couldn’t talk. She looked up at Harry and noticed his eyes were exactly the same. Not the emerald green that she had known. She held her baby out to stare it; repulsed by its eyes. She saw the most disgusting sight of all, when it opened its mouth to cry. Its tongue was forked.


A scream of fear tore at her throat as she thrashed against the sheets that were wrapped around her.
She was covered with sweat making the sheets stick to her and making it impossible to toss them off her.

“Ginny, what’s wrong?” whispered Harry from somewhere in the room.

She could feel he wasn’t with her in the bed. The room was dark with the only light was the pale glow of the half-moon shining through the mullioned windows. She tried to look to see where Harry was; with the shock of the nightmare she had lost mental contact with him. The bed shifted beside her. Turning she saw him sitting there staring at her. She couldn’t see his eyes for the dark shadows. She had to see if they were still green or the light amber of her dream.

He reached to caress her face. She reached for his face too, not for comfort, but for confirmation. She turned his face so the light of the moon might illuminate his eyes. His face was covered in shadow. He had two dark pits for eyes outlined by his brows and cheeks. At first she still couldn’t see his eyes clearly in the moonlight. A yellowish light illuminated the room revealing his emerald eyes.

Relief filled her as she realized that it was only a dream; no, not a dream but a nightmare. She threw herself against his chest clinging to him for strength. She didn’t want to think about the nightmare or why it scared her so much. Harry gently kissed the top of her head calming her and dispelling many of her fears.

“You all right now?” he whispered to her.

“Yeah, I am,” she whispered into his chest.

“Do you want to talk about…,”

“No, I don’t. It was a horrible nightmare that I don’t want to think about. Let it be gone from my memory,” she softly pleaded.

He held her and gently rubbed her back for several minutes without saying anything. Ginny was slowly drifting off to sleep again, when Harry spoke again.

“That was impressive magic you did.”

“What magic?”

“You lit your wand without touching it. It was like you wanted to see my face and your wand lit up.”

Ginny didn’t say anything, because she didn’t remember trying to cast a spell. She remembered wanting to see his face. Did the wand respond to her unspoken request? If it did, that would mean she was capable of doing wandless magic.

“You don’t remember doing that,” he said teasingly.

“No, I don’t.”

“Could you budge over so I can lie down too?”

“I could if you tell me why you are awake at this hour.” She moved so he could lie down and hold her.

“I had a piercing headache about an hour ago. It seems to be getting better now.”

“Does it still hurt?”

He hesitated for a second indicating that he was lying to her. “Only a little.”

“You are such a terrible liar, Harry. Here let me try to relieve your headache.”

She knelt beside him on the bed and held the palms of her hands at each of his temples with her fingers spread out through his raven locks. She slowly messaged his head with her fingers as she moved her hands through his hair. As she worked her fingers across his scalp, she also willed her feelings of love and comfort into him trying to chase what was causing the headache out of his mind. She could feel him relaxing. She was able to reach out with her Empathy and feel that the pain was nearly gone. After about five minutes he was so relaxed that he fell asleep.

She pulled her hands away from his head, before sliding in beside him. He had rolled on his side so she could wrap an arm around his chest as he slept.

“Go to sleep my love, we have so much to discuss,” she whispered to him.

She lay there in their dark bedroom thinking about Harry and their relationship. They had so much at stake already, and now she is sure that their responsibilities have increased some more. She needs to tell him, but it would be best if she waited until a better time. She still isn’t sure how he will handle the news.

Pushing all the worry and concern for their future to the back of her mind Ginny was able to finally get to sleep. In a few hours they would be going to Hogsmeade, and she wanted it to be special for them.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny was brushing her hair and staring at the mirror in their private loo. She wasn’t sure if she should put more makeup on or if this was enough. She rarely wore any and Harry seemed to like her like that, but today she wanted to be extra pretty for him.

She didn’t want to wear their usual battle garments. The rust colored pants and shirt with dragon hide cloak and boots. She was wearing simple jeans and a deep green jumper; both would be considered too tight by her mum. A traveling cloak and the presence of Harry would be all she would need to keep her warm.

After staring at her reflection from several angles, she decided that her makeup was fine. She picked up the sapphire necklace that matched her engagement ring and placed it around her neck. The sapphire and gold chain looked striking against the deep green of her jumper.

“Harry, are you ready?” she called to her husband. He had cleaned up before she even started. He probably had his usual outfit on. It didn’t’ bother her that he wore that. He looked rather striking in it.

“Yeah, I am just waiting on you.” “As usual.” He either whispered or thought.

It was getting difficult for Ginny to tell the difference between when he whispers something and when he thinks something without saying anything. They were starting to sound the same to her. Her link to Harry had been steadily increasing to the point where she almost can’t stay out of his mind. This wouldn’t bother her except what she has been able to detect there.

The thoughts of that dark entity made her shiver even though she wasn’t cold. If she wasn’t able to connect so completely with Harry, she would never have realized what he carried inside of him. If she hadn’t tried to protect Ron from being possessed in the Chamber of Secrets, she would have not realized that the darkness wasn’t Harry’s. She does not want to think about that situation now or any other time today. One day in the future, they would have to face the fact that Harry was a Horcrux, but today wasn’t that day.

Ginny stood up and walked to the sitting area of their little living quarters at Hogwarts. It was cozy or in other words, small, but that was all they needed now. If they needed to get out and move around, there was the rest of the castle to use.

“Wow! You look fabulous,” gasped Harry.

Ginny was caught speechless at his reaction. She thought he would like her clothes, but she wasn’t expecting a reaction like she was feeling from him. He was actually getting excited looking at her. It was good for her ego to think that she still made him feel that way after being together for two years.

“I am glad you like it. We need to get something to eat before embarking on our little excursion to Hogsmeade.”

“We could just stay here,” he suggested to her.

“Now love, we can do that any other weekend. We should go and see Hogsmeade today. We also promised to watch over the students while they are there.” She walked to him and gave him a kiss on the lips. She held it a bit longer than necessary for a chaste kiss, but not so long as to illicit any further reaction. She was surprised that he was looking at her, when she pulled away. “You can wait until tonight, Harry. We will be back by five and we don’t have any studying to do tonight.”

“Yeah, brilliant, tonight then it is,” he said absent mindedly.

Ginny put her arm through his and led him out of the room. They walked slowly through the halls and down the various staircases to the great hall. They didn’t say anything during this entire trip. There really wasn’t anything to say. They spent almost all their time together, so they know each other’s thoughts almost completely. They have already shared all their experiences before meeting, so they didn’t have that to talk about. That was fine with Ginny. She didn’t need witty conversation to enjoy being with her husband.

They entered the great hall still arm in arm. Most of the students turned to look at them. Ginny’s Empathy was now causing her anxiety. She was feeling the emotions flowing from the boys in the room. She didn’t mind when Harry thought about her in that way. It was something entirely different when it was some randy teenager with out of control hormones.

She pulled Harry along the Gryffindor table until she was a safe distance away from Ron’s dorm mates. Dean and Seamus were both staring at her with similar thoughts to Harry’s. They both followed her as she walked past them. At least Dean Thomas had the decency to keep his mouth closed, Seamus didn’t.

They sat across from Percy at the Gryffindor table. He was reading through the Daily Prophet while eating his breakfast. He didn’t even look up when they first sat down. Percy’s brow was furrowed with worry lines as he read the newspaper.

“What is bothering you Percy?” she asked him.

He looked up shocked to see her and Harry sitting there filling their plates. He was obviously flustered at their appearance.

“The Ministry is passing new laws, in an attempt to keep us safe,” he said sardonically.

“Maybe when you get hired there, you can turn the place around,” she told her older brother. He had always wanted to work for the Ministry and a cabinet secretary or even one day the Minister of Magic.

“I don’t think I will be applying there for a job.”

Ginny was gobsmacked to hear him say that. He had wanted to work in the Ministry since she was old enough to remember.

“I don’t know how Father can stand to go to that place to work. It isn’t safe,” he whispered to her.

“It pays the bills, and he likes the work,” she replied.

“What are you going to do if you are not working at the Ministry?” asked Harry between forkfuls of scrambled eggs.

“I haven’t decided yet,” he said while sitting up straighter, trying to look very official. “I have been thinking about asking you if you need someone to manage one of your many…,”

“Percy, can we discuss this some other time,” snapped Harry.

Percy closed his mouth and his eyes became wide as he stared at Harry. Harry was rather abrupt with him, but it was for a good reason. Harry did not want everyone to know about all his holdings. The less people know about what he actually possessed the safer they would all be.

“Do you have anything planned for today, Percy?” Ginny asked her brother in an attempt to steer the conversation away from Harry’s wealth and estates.

“I will be going to Hogsmeade to watch over the younger students.”

“That is where we will be,” she told him. Harry wasn’t responding to anything. Ginny could feel his anger at Percy. He felt almost betrayed that Percy would be so careless in public. “We were thinking about going to Madam Puddifoot’s; isn’t that right Harry.”

Harry was focused on what he was eating and not paying attention to what she was saying. “Yeah, sounds good,” he automatically responded.

Ginny smiled at Percy who smiled in return. She was going to say something else, but another feeling caught her attention. She sensed Sirius’ presence and he was worried. She looked up to see him walking into the great hall from the entrance hall, and he was heading directly towards them.

Nudging Harry with her elbow to get his attention, she nodded towards Sirius walking briskly towards them. They both sat there and stared at Sirius until he stood in front of them. He was obviously worried, because he had a small crease between his eyes and his eyebrows nearly met giving him a uni-brow, when he was stressing about something. His face was in uni-brow mode right now.

“We need to talk in the Headmaster’s office,” he said briskly. He stood there for a second and when it seemed that Ginny and Harry weren’t moving fast enough he spoke again. “Now!”

“Alright, we will follow you,” said Harry.

Sirius turned and walked away at a brisk pace. Ginny stood up from the bench only to get pulled by Harry towards the entrance hall. Sirius was already walking through it. He didn’t even look back over his shoulder to see if they were following. Whatever was bothering him must be big for him to act this way.

It took only a few minutes to make the trip from the great hall to the Headmaster’s office. A trip that normally took ten to fifteen. The gargoyle jumped aside at the sight of them. Ginny didn’t realize it would recognize people and allow them access without the password. They nearly ran up the spiral staircase and opened the door into the Headmasters office.

She was starting to breathe hard from the trip, and was going to ask why he was in such a hurry. However, the people in the room made her realize they would not appreciate her cheek. Remus and Bill were there, along with The Headmaster and Professor McGonagall all with grim faces. The fifth person caused Harry to stop walking and stare. She could feel anger roll off him in waves as he stared at Severus Snape.

The stories that Sirius and Remus told them about Snape made Harry dislike the man. They also told him that his mother had been friends with Snape when they were young. Harry had wondered how his mum could be friends with someone who was so foul most of the time. Harry wanted to give Severus the benefit of the doubt and judge him on his own merits. Snape’s constant belittling of him and his father had worn thin with him.

“Come in and close the door, Potter. We have much to discuss,” drawled Snape.

“Harry and Ginny please close the doors. As Severus said, we have much to talk about,” said the Headmaster.

Ginny had to concentrate to keep Harry’s anger from affecting her. He was nearly angry enough to start throwing hexes around, with Snape getting all of them. He stepped forward pulling her along. She heard the door slam shut behind him. Everyone else in the room looked at the door and then at Harry with raised eyebrows, except Snape. He just sneered at the display of wandless magic.

They walked to the Headmaster’s desk and stood there and stared at him. Standing there for several seconds without anyone talking, Harry’s agitation kept growing. Ginny could feel Sirius, Remus, and Bill growing agitated too. She was getting ready to demand someone say something, when Harry said it for her.

“You call us up here and tell us we have much to talk about, but no one is talking.”

“Please have a seat,” said the Headmaster calmly.

“No, I would prefer to stand,” stated Harry. He then turned to her and spoke directly to her with a sweet and sincere voice. “You can sit if you prefer.”

Ginny smiled at him. It made her feel so special that no matter how angry he was at everyone around them, he was still sweet to her. She was going to say something, but Snape interrupted her.

“You are pathetic, Potter.”

Sirius and Remus stood up like they were ready to start throwing curses at Snape, but Ginny stopped them with a glance and a raised hand.

“There is nothing pathetic about a person being loving and sincere,” she told the vile Potion’s Professor. “You should try it sometime, or you SHOULD HAVE tried it at one time.”

“You…,” Snape hissed at her.

Ginny could feel the anger and regret flowing off him. “I guess it is too late for that now, so you just pretend to protect her son.”

If Snape was angry before his clenched teeth snarl at the Headmaster indicated that Ginny had hit a very raw nerve.

“I did not tell them anything,” said the Headmaster defensively. “I think we need to discuss what we came together to talk about.”

“I was waiting for someone to say something,” stated Harry harshly. “Professor Snape, your reasons for being angry with me is so obvious that one doesn’t need Leglimancy to know it. My mother is dead, because Voldemort wanted me dead. Let’s work together to destroy whatever is left of him.”

Snape seemed to be surprised by Harry’s comment. He looked at Harry for several seconds before speaking. “Lucius Malfoy believes he can find the Dark Lord if he interrogates you. That was why he attacked the Weasley home earlier in the summer.”

“Is that what you wanted to tell us?” asked Harry calmly.

“That and up until three days ago Draco Malfoy was talking about going to Hogsmeade today. Several days ago, he received an Owl from his father and has since changed his mind and is trying to get other Slytherins not to go to Hogsmeade today.”

“Has Lucius contacted you?” asked Sirius.

“No! He hasn’t. He does not trust me, since I didn’t know the Order had reformed when he attacked the Weasley’s home.”

“Remus, what do make of this information?” Harry asked his father’s friend.

Remus Lupin leaned back in his chair and stared at the space in front of his chair with a distant look on his face and deep furrows in his brow. He sat there deep in thought for several seconds before speaking.

“I am concerned about Lucius wanting to get his hands on you, Harry. If Draco doesn’t want to go to Hogsmeade, I am afraid that the students will be in danger if they go to Hogsmeade. I am guessing that they are planning on attacking the students to draw you and Professor Dumbledore out into the open.” He stopped talking and sat there silent for several seconds. “That is all I can guess for now.”

Harry turned to the Headmaster. “Professor Dumbledore, what is your opinion?”

“I agree with what Mr. Lupin said. Canceling the Hogsmeade day, would be difficult as the children should be getting into the queue by this time.”

“I agree that it would create problems if you did cancel today’s trip to Hogsmeade. Lucius would suspect something…,” Snape said.

“You are talking about a possible attack on the students of this school,” shouted Professor McGonagall.
“We must protect the children from a possible attack.”

“We will Minerva. We will protect the children, but I do agree with Severus,” said the Headmaster. “We must form a plan to protect the children without letting Lucius realize we knew he was planning on an attack. For us to cancel a Hogsmeade weekend, we must have a good reason. If the children don’t go to the village, then the attack won’t happen and no one will know that it had been planned. Harry, what do you think?”

Ginny looked at Harry. He turned to look at her and gave her a small smile. “Ginny, do you want to say anything?”

The look on his face and the feelings coming from him told her how much he cared for her. He wasn’t just asking her to be polite. He valued her opinion too. They both knew at this point he was being looked upon as the leader of the Order of The Phoenix. “I trust your decision, Harry.”

“Unless, I say something stupid,” he said chuckling.

“Yeah, then I would object.”

Harry turned back to the Headmaster. “I think we should let the students go to Hogsmeade, and make a plan to protect them. Bill, can we set up an area for the students to go for protection from attacks?”

“A warded area for the students to run to would be possible,” said Bill.

“Could we ward the path leading back to Hogwarts?” asked Sirius. “The students could be led back to the safety of the castle through the wards. If we ward an area that doesn’t have an escape, the students would be trapped inside of it.”

“That would be possible, but it would take some time and if any of the Death Eaters see me casting spells they would realize that we know there will be an attack.”

“We will have to accept those risks,” said the Headmaster. “The safety of the students is important.”

Professor McGonagall sniffed at this comment. “Then cancel the trip, if it is so important.”

“They want me,” said Harry. “I am planning on making myself very visible. If I am already down there, the students should be safer. Can we get everyone from the Order on standby? What about the Aurors?”

“If the town is filled with Order members and Aurors then the attack will be called off,” said Severus.

“The Order can be close by or possibly hidden in the shops. Have someone ready to call the Aurors. When the attack starts, call them and start moving the students towards Hogwarts. We will take the attack to the Death Eaters,” He said indicating Bill, Remus, and Sirius.

“I will talk to the Head Boy and Girl about emergency procedures,” said the Headmaster.

“I will go change and get ready for a battle,” Ginny said quietly. She felt Harry gently squeeze her hand in reassurance.

“Harry, I must stress how important it is for you not to get captured,” said the Headmaster.

“He and Ginny will be at the entrance of the ward,” said Sirius. “They can step inside the wards if things get dangerous.”

“How will you keep the Death Eaters out of the warded area?” asked Professor McGonagall.

“I could tie the wards to a person’s age. That would keep us old codgers from entering the warded area,” said Bill.

“Would Harry and I be able to enter them? We are considered adults.”

“I’ll figure something out,” said Bill.

“All right, it sounds like we have a plan and a lot of work to get ready,” said Harry.

He sounded upbeat, but Ginny could feel his nervousness. It was unnecessary because the entire room was behind him. Professor McGonagall was nervous about the safety of the children, and yet she still looked at Harry with respect. Even Snape had calmed down. He still radiated contempt, but it wasn’t as intense as when they first stepped into the room. She did not know what would happen today, but she was sure they would be ready for it.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The gravel from the path scuffed her shoes as she walked to Hogsmeade. Ginny was walking slowly while holding onto Harry’s hand. She had changed back into her normal fighting gear along with the dragon-hide cloak. She could feel the weight of the dagger, in its sheath inside of her dragon hide boots, bouncing against her lower calf. Her wand was stashed just out of sight up her right sleeve. She was trying to be as nonchalant as possible while still being on the look-out for any threats around her.

It really was not necessary to be inconspicuous. They were walking along with Hagrid, who was pulling enchanted stones the size of a normal man’s fist out of his moleskin jacket and throwing them on each side of the path. Bill had enchanted them so he could easily anchor the wards to the stone. Hagrid was given the job because when he threw a stone down it would sink into the dirt so no one could see it. The students were being held at the school until the four of them could reach the village.

Bill was trailing them by about fifty feet activating the wards as he walked. Ginny smiled at her older brother. She had always known he was intelligent, but never realized how talented he was at wards until she and Harry went to live with him.

Harry was walking beside her on high alert trying to sense if anyone was using magic around them. To most people they would only see him walking while looking from one side to the other. He looked so confident and in control. She could feel his anxiety at the possibility of someone getting hurt today, but he was hiding it well.

“How much further to Hogsmeade, Hagrid?” asked Harry.

“Not far, just up around the bend we will come out of the woods to ‘igh Street.”

“Do we have enough stones to make it that far?”

“Well, ‘arry, take a look,” Hagrid replied holding out a hand as large as a dust bin lid. He had a dozen stones in it. They didn’t even completely cover his palm. “That should get us to the end of the woods.”

“Good, because I hear the students leaving Hogwarts,” she said to them.

“Let’s get moving then. They will come down that path in a ‘urry, they will.” Hagrid started taking long strides from one side of the path to the other while throwing stones into the ground.

Ginny and Harry had to increase their pace to keep up with him. Even with Hagrid moving back and forth across the path, they had a hard time keeping up with him. They had reached the end of the woods by the time they heard the first screams of excited students running down the path to get to Hogsmeade first.

Harry flicked his wand and a silver streak shot towards the town. A second later a silver weasel appeared in front of them.

“Everything looks good here,” said the voice of Ginny’s father.

Bill had just finished the wards and was able to hear the Patronus. “I will wait here while you three go into town. Harry don’t let her take you into Madam Puddifoot’s.”

Harry looked puzzled. “What is Madam Puddifoot’s and where have I heard that before?”

“Don’t worry love; I’ll explain it to you later.” She took his arm and pulled him towards the town. Hagrid let out a loud boisterous laugh causing Harry to squirm. He really wasn’t listening when she was talking to Percy at breakfast.

They had barely walked twenty feet when three boys flew past them at an all-out run.

“Do you think they are going to Madam Puddifoot’s?” Harry asked her.

His comment had caught her off guard, and she started laughing at the thought. “I really doubt it.”

“Do you want to go there?”

“No not really. I would like to see it. I have heard about it from my brothers. They speak about how completely sickening it is.”

“Why would anyone want to go there?”

“It is filled with pink hearts, confetti, sweet tea, and cherubs playing violins. Girls are supposed to be overwhelmed by the sheer romance of it.”

They continued walking without saying anything else. Ginny could tell that Harry was thinking about something. She was pretty sure he was thinking they should go to Madam Puddifoot’s.

“Are we going there first?” he asked.

She laughed at his comment. “We will walk past there. I said that I wanted to see it. I don’t need romance. I have you.”

“I am not romantic.”

“You are too romantic. You don’t do anything excessive, but you are very romantic and I love you for it.”

Harry had stopped walking and was staring at her.

“I never said that I wasn’t romantic. I did think it. Your powers are still growing. You can actually read my mind, without me being overly excited or worried.”

She stared into his eyes. He wasn’t nervous or afraid. It was one thing to be able to sense emotions and see old memories, but to be able to hear what he was thinking as he thought it was new. Why wasn’t he afraid of her ability to do this?

“I won’t hold your thoughts against you, Harry. I know at times we think things that we never intend to say. Unless you are thinking randy thoughts about another woman, then you will be in so much trouble Mr. Potter.”

Harry laughed at her. “Why would I think about anyone but you? If we are in a battle, I could communicate with you more precisely than just feelings of dread and danger.”

“I don’t always hear what you are saying in your thoughts, so I can’t guarantee that I will hear you.”

“You don’t always hear me, because I am a bloke. Isn’t that what many of you woman say about men. We don’t think about much and say even less.”

She had a difficult time from doubling over with laughter at Harry’s cheeky comment. “Where did you hear that statement?”

“Is it true?”

“Maybe,” she replied coyly.

“Sirius and Bill told me that women think that about men. They also said that many women like the strong silent type.”

“I don’t want to think about my brother’s and Sirius’s dating styles. Let’s go into Zonko’s and see what to look for around the school this next week.”

They spent the next hour in Zonko’s looking at the various merchandise. Harry would occasionally look out at the street to see if everything was all right. She enjoyed their time in Zonko’s it helped bring out the kid in Harry. It also reminded her that if Harry would have had a normal life he would be at Hogsmeade as a student looking to have fun, not being live bait for a planned Death Eater attack.

“Would you like to visit Madam Puddifoot’s?” she asked him.

“Might as well get that out of the way.” He thought to himself.

Ginny smiled at his thoughts before dragging him out the door to the uber-romantic tea shoppe. They walked through Madam Puddifoot’s door to be assaulted with confetti and cherubs screeching out a tune on their violins. The matron showed them to a little table between two sixth year couples. One couple was holding hands and whispering across the table. The other couple was snogging while making slurping sounds.

They were soon served a pink pot of tea and some biscuits. Harry poured her tea for her and even prepared it for her. She appreciated his gesture, but everything in here was so over the top that it was annoying her so much that she could barely stand it. Maybe it was being raised in a family of boys, but she didn’t find this at all romantic. It took all her concentration not to laugh at the couples around her. She knew that she would get dreamy eyed at Harry, but she hoped she never looked or acted like the girls around her. It was the boys that made her want to laugh. Almost all them felt the same as she did about this place, but they were here looking for a snog. Confetti came floating down from above them coating their hair and falling into their tea. She looked at Harry and tried to sense what he was feeling. The only thing she sensed was laughter, so she started giggling.

“Let’s get out of this bloody pink nightmare.” He thought.

She was giggling so hard that she couldn’t respond. So she grabbed his hand and they left after he placed a galleon on the table.

“That was supposed to be romantic?” he asked her, after they reached the street.

“To some people it would be.”

“I am so glad you are not one of them, Ginny. Let’s go find the others.”

They located Bill and Remus walking High Street acting like they were trying to keep the students from doing anything destructive. Sirius had volunteered to stay under Harry’s Invisibility cloak by the entrance to the warded area.

“Anything exciting?” Harry asked them.

They looked at each other, before Bill spoke. “Only the sight of you being dragged into Madam Puddifoot’s.”

“That place is a bloody pink nightmare,” Ginny said repeating Harry’s thoughts.

“Hagrid is watching things down by the Hogs Head,” stated Remus. “Why don’t you two go to the Three Broomsticks and grab a bite. You two can patrol the streets later, and we will take lunch.”

“Sounds good to me, Sirius interrupted our breakfast,” she replied to them.

Hand in hand they opened the door to the Three Broomsticks. The place was filled with students and teachers. Madam Rosmerta was moving from table to table getting orders and delivering food and drinks. Professor McGonagall waved them over to a table with her and Professor Flitwick.

The next hour they sat and ate and talked to the Professors. The conversation was tense at times, because everyone knew about the possible attack, but none of them openly mentioned it. Professors McGonagall and Flitwick relieved the tension by talking about incidents involving Harry and Ginny’s parents while they were at Hogwarts.

After finishing lunch, they were back out on the street patrolling for possible Death Eaters. The only thing they saw were students enjoying the beautiful sunny afternoon away from the school. The morning had been slightly overcast and cool. The sun burnt off the haze of morning and now it was warm and sunny especially for being October in Scotland.

Ginny was enjoying the relaxing day so much that she kept forgetting that they were supposed to be watching for an attack.

“After this is all over, I think our children should enjoy coming to Hogwarts,” she said to Harry. She could feel him stiffen at the thought of them having children.

“Yeah, it seems like a good school. Hopefully, some of the same teachers will be here when our children are old enough to start.”

She smiled at his reference that it should be a long time before they have children old enough to attend the school. “Oh, I think most of them have at least eleven or twelve years left in them.”

Harry stopped walking and turned to stare at her. He looked slightly ashen and was having a hard time forming words. He had not been this flustered since that first night in Morocco when he wanted to kiss her. She was getting ready to tell him more, when a small pop caught her and Harry’s attention.

Several other pops could be heard around the village. She could sense a change in the feelings in the air, even before seeing who had Apparated into the village. Harry sensed it too. He had pulled his wand in an instant.

Screams of scared children tore through the peaceful afternoon. The attack was on.

“All the students must return to Hogwarts straight away,” ordered Harry, using the Sonorous Charm.

Students started flowing out of The Three Broomsticks and running towards the path leading to the castle. Professor McGonagall was ordering the children out, while Professor Flitwick exited the pub first to stand guard for the students as they left the building. Other students were running from all directions towards the warded path. Harry grabbed Ginny’s arm and pulled her towards the entrance of the wards. They were supposed to get there and protect the children as they ran for safety.

They ran among the students trying to set up a position near the entrance where they could protect the children escaping the village. They could hear people battling behind them, but they had a job to do and that is protecting the entrance of wards and the children running towards it.

“Can you sense if anyone is following us?” shouted Harry as they ran with the students.

“I can’t sense anything but fear right now,” she shouted back to him as they ran around the students.

“The entrance to the ward is right up there. You stay on that side and I will take this side,” he shouted at her.

“Where is Sirius?” she shouted back at him.

Sirius appeared from under the Invisibility Cloak. “I am here.”

Several students shrieked when he appeared out of thin air, some even pulled their wands.

“Stop!” shouted Harry to the students. “I’ll ask him a question.”

None of the students fired hexes at Sirius, but they didn’t lower their wands.

“Sirius, what did you call me when we first met, and what was my reaction?”

Sirius smiled at Harry. “I called you Prongslet in honor of your father, but you said it made you sound feminine.”

“All right, he is trust worthy, so get you up to the castle,” Harry shouted at the all the children standing around them.

“You heard him, get moving and don’t wander from the path until you get inside of Hogwarts’ grounds,” Ginny ordered the students surrounding them.

She watched and motivated the students to keep moving all the way to Hogwarts. She also tried to calm down the scared students as they came through the line. She was so focused on the students that she wasn’t able to sense what was going on in the village. She hated standing up here not knowing what people are thinking in the attack. Were the Death Eaters winning? If they were not winning, were they inflicting harm on her friends?

“Look,” shouted Harry.

Ginny had seen the same sight as he had. Hagrid, Percy, and Penelope were ushering about fifteen third years in front of them towards the entrance to the wards. She could hear the students arguing with Percy and Penelope as they walked towards the wards.

“We can fight them. We have been taking dueling classes,” said Seamus Finnegan. He was a feisty dorm mate of Ron’s.

“You will do no such thing. You will get to safety. We will take care of the attackers,” stated Percy briskly.

“Ya heard the ‘ead Boy, mates,” said Hagrid.

“We want to fight. We deserve the chance,” the sandy haired boy said defiantly.

“You will get your chance, soon enough,” said Harry forcefully. “It won’t be today, though. Today you need to get back to the castle.”

The students looked at him before mumbling as they trudged up the path towards Hogwarts. Several more students were running towards them from the village. Hagrid, Penelope, and Percy had started back towards the village.

A flash of a spell came from the area of the village towards students. Ginny started raising her wand to cast a Shield Charm, but Harry was faster. His shield collided with the spell and diverted away from the oncoming students.

The students screamed and ran even faster towards them. Ginny watched as they ran past her and Harry up the path towards the castle. There was a break in the flow of the students leaving the village. She tried to reach out and sense what was going on in the village. She could sense fear and anxiety, but she couldn’t identify who was feeling those feelings. Her empathy was so frustrating in situations like this when everyone was overly excited.

Percy came running up the path with another group of students. He looked rather frazzled like he had been in a couple of duels. He started running past the students and straight to Harry.

“Harry,” he gasped as he ran. “We need you — down — in the village.”

He stopped running and doubled over with his hands on his knees. Ginny was looking at him trying to figure out why he was actually acting so strange. He normally doesn’t get that frazzled. The group of students that were running between her and Percy so she couldn’t get a good look at him.

“I can’t go Percy. I am supposed to stay here,” replied Harry. Harry looked torn between what he was supposed to do and what he wanted to do.

“It’s Sirius and Remus,” shouted Percy. “The Death Eaters have them cornered. Everyone else is busy fighting. Harry we need you.”

Percy reached out and grabbed Harry’s arm. Ginny saw for a second the glove on his left hand, and started to wonder why he had it on. The last student passed her and she was able to sense Percy completely. It wasn’t Percy over there, but someone else.

“Harry, that isn’t Percy,” she screamed, but it was too late.

The glove glowed blue for a second before Harry and the imposter disappeared.

“No!” she screamed out of desperation.

Reaching out with her mind, she tried to sense where Harry was. She felt like she was spinning at a maddening pace. She couldn’t get a good feeling of him to pull him to her. She didn’t know if he would Splinch if she did. She could sense him, and, as soon as he stops, she will pull him back to her.

The spinning was making her slightly dizzy and disoriented. She was starting to get sick, but it finally stopped. Ginny could see Harry lying on the grass of a graveyard. He was angry and ready to fight. She connected with him and started to summon him when she sensed a flash of light then terrible white hot pain filled her body. She screamed out in agony as the sensation of white hot knives cut through her, and she fell to the ground in agony.

Back to index


Chapter 18: Resurrection

Author's Notes: Harry was taken by someone disguised as Percy and tortured. Ginny had screamed out in pain as this torture was felt through the bond at the end of the last chapter. Lucius Malfoy's plan looks like it will work to bring the Dark Lord's body back.
As a change from canon, I have Lucius say the incantations in Latin. The actual translations are at the end of the chapter. I need to thank Leif for the wonderful Beta work that found my mistakes and made me think about different aspects of my writing.


Lucius Malfoy stood beside the iron cauldron waiting for Judson and Potter to appear. This was a last gasp effort to resurrect his master. He had killed the last unicorn to fill this cauldron with its blood. The Dark Lord had lost his patience with him several times. He wanted to be brought back to his full glory months ago, but every attempt to capture Potter had failed. Potter’s appointment as a teacher’s aide at Hogwarts had further complicated things.

Their plan was high risk, but it was their only shot at getting Potter before Christmas. Lucius knew he couldn’t withstand any more torture from his master. Nagini had eaten all the sheep that Lucius had bought for it to feed on and started eating House Elves again. This had to succeed; Judson had to successfully Portkey Potter back here so they can capture him and use his blood to resurrect the Dark Lord.

“How much longer, Lucius?” hissed his master.

“I do not know my lord. We don’t even know if Potter was in the village.”

“This cannot fail. This body is failing me.”

Lucius looked at his master wrapped up in a bundle of cloth lying on the ground beside the cauldron. He was even more disturbing to look at now than when he was first born. His flesh was starting to become scaly and his arms were becoming increasingly immobile. He was turning more and more reptilian every day.

“When Potter arrives I will be ready.”

“Judson needs to set the wards so no one but my servants can come through,” ordered Lord Voldemort. “When I regain my body, I am going to call everyone back to me. Then I will kill Potter in front of them and leave his body for Dumbledore to find.”

“Will he know to look here for Potter?”

“He will figure it out soon, but Potter will be dead and I will be building my armies once again. So be ready when Potter arrives.”

“Yes master,” Lucius dutifully replied.

He turned back to look over the graveyard they stood in. Lucius had never realized before that his master was a half-blood. However, they were in this Muggle cemetery so they could use a bone from his father’s grave.

The sun was starting to get warm on this sunny day. It beat down on him and his black robes causing perspiration to bead on his forehead. It could also be what Lucius had to do to resurrect the dark lord. It bothered him that he had to cut off his right hand, his wand hand, but his master had commanded it.

A thud to his right brought Lucius out of his thoughts. He had to take several steps to his right to look around the massive headstone with a Muggle statue of the grim reaper. There on the ground was Judson with Harry Potter.

“Crucio,” shouted Lucius, as soon as he saw Potter.

The spell collided with Potters chest. He had just started to stand up to get his bearings. He let out a scream and fell to his right side and started to twitch from the pain.

“Get his wand,” he ordered Judson.

Potter somehow had been able to fight through the torture and blasted Judson away. Judson collided with the massive headstone with a crunch. Lucius had to move as Potter tried to hit him with a spell. He could only move so much without releasing the Crucio. He didn’t know if he could defeat Potter in a straight out battle.

“Judson, do something help me,” he shouted.

Several pops of Apparition sounded around him. “I need help here!” he shouted and dodged another spell from Potter. How anyone could fight off a Crucio and be able to fire off Stunning spells, he did not know.

“Tie him up,” he shouted to one of the younger members of the raiding party. The stupid fool was so shocked by what was going on, his spell missed Potter and he tied up another member of the raiding party.

“Crucio,” shouted Macnair from beside Lucius.

Potter screamed again and fell on the ground twitching.

“Grab his wand,” Lucius ordered the young raider again.

He ran to grab Potters wand, but Potter rolled away so Lucius had to stop his spell. Potter had used the young raider to block Lucius’s spell. Fortunately, Macnair was able to keep his spell on Potter. However, Potter had recovered enough to Stun the young raider by him. Lucius had to block another Stunner aimed at him. Potter tried to Stun Macnair, but the experienced Death Eater was quick enough to avoid the spell.

Potter was struggling to his feet while firing off random spells at everyone around him. Lucius stopped and stared at this man. He should be immobile writhing on the ground. Instead, he was standing and fighting off six other people.

Lucius came out of his state of shock and fired an Incarcerous spell at Potter. The magical ropes wrapped around him for only a second, before he cut through them with his wand. He looked for Judson to help with Potter, but he was setting the wards. He had to control Potter to resurrect the Dark Lord.

He saw one opportunity. While everyone else was firing spells at Potter, he moved himself back towards a large headstone. If Lucius could get behind the headstone and stab Potter from behind, he could get enough blood out him to complete the ceremony.

“Use Crucios on him!” he yelled at everyone else.

Lucius moved quickly around the headstones. He knew that the young raiders were not up to his level for inflicting pain, but they should be able to contain Potter enough for this plan to work. He smiled as he saw Potter forced against the headstone screaming in pain. His left shoulder was exposed.

Lucius lashed out and tried to stab through his cape, but the knife didn’t penetrate the strange leather. Potter didn’t even acknowledge that Lucius tried to stab him. He had to get Potter’s blood. Reaching out he grabbed the edge of Potters cape and pulled it back. He swung the knife with all his might sinking it deep into Potters shoulder. He couldn’t tell if Potter reacted to the stab or if he was writhing from the torture. Blood poured out of the wound when he pulled the knife free. Potter didn’t seem to even notice so he pressed the vial against the wound so the blood flowed into it.

Potter finally realized he had been stabbed. He turned to face Lucius pulling his shoulder away. Lucius jumped back behind the headstone. He couldn’t afford Potter hexing the vial out of his hands. He quickly pulled the vial behind him and pointed his wand at the edge of the headstone, where he was sure Potter would try to attack him. He waited for the attack. When it didn’t happen, he looked to the other side of the headstone, but Potter wasn’t coming around that side either.

“What did you do, Lucius?” shouted Macnair.

“I did what was necessary. Have you controlled Potter?”

“Potter is gone,” shouted Macnair. “He just bloody disappeared! It didn’t even look like he Apparated.”

Lucius ran around the Headstone and looked to where Potter was standing just a minute before. This couldn’t be happening. He was supposed to hold Potter until the Dark Lord was resurrected. He would suffer for this, but he still had to resurrect his master.

“What are you planning on doing now, Lucius?” questioned an angry Macnair. “Was this all for nothing; just another failed mission to find the Dark Lord?”

“No it wasn’t a failure for that reason. It was a failure because we couldn’t keep Potter,” replied Lucius. “I have work to do.”

He strode past Macnair and the rest of the attack group. He had Potter’s blood, which was the final ingredient. With a flick of his wand, he lit fire under the cauldron. Everyone from the raiding party stood and stared at him. He didn’t have time to explain to them what he was doing. By the time he reached his master lying on the ground, the cauldron was boiling.

“Did you capture him Lucius?” hissed his master.

“I have his blood, Master.”

“Good, we must begin,” the Dark Lord hissed.

“What’s going on over there?” shouted Macnair.

Lucius ignored Macnair and lifted the Dark Lord up and removed the cloth that covered him before dropping him in the boiling unicorn blood. Turning he pointed his wand at the earth by the Riddle headstone.

"Os patris tui, capta insciens,"(1) he chanted as he summoned the thigh bone from his masters father. The bone erupted from the ground and flew towards him. He waved his wand and redirected it into the boiling blood. The blood hissed and popped for several seconds.

“Carnem dedit volunt servi tui,”(2) he chanted. He placed his wand inside of his robes and lifted his right hand up. With his left hand he gripped the razor sharp dagger, he cut into his wrist. The pain shot down his arm and almost made him sick. The blade hit bone and sinew and would not cut cleanly all the way through. Fighting through the pain, he moved the blade back and forth until his severed right hand dropped into the cauldron. Once again the blood popped and hissed, it also turned blood red then black before calming down to a boil. He took a cloth he had the master wrapped in and wrapped it around his bloody stump.

“Sanguine tuo, fortiter hostibus captus,”(3) he chanted. He lifted the vial up and poured Potter’s blood into the cauldron. It nearly erupted as it boiled out of control changing from silver to red and black. Lucius stepped away from it waiting to see his master rise from the cauldron. Everything stopped, the fire had gone out and the blood stopped boiling. He became filled with fear. Had he failed his master again? What punishment would he endure for this failure?

“What was supposed to happen, Lucius?” asked Macnair.

“I was going to resurrect the Dark...,”

The contents of the cauldron exploded in a flash of bright silver light. It was so bright that everything seemed dark after the flash. The cauldron lay in shards on the ground and standing in the middle of its remains was the Dark Lord. He had regained his body.

He was tall, thin, and pale. His skin seemed almost translucent and his veins shown through his skin like purple spider webs. His fingers were long and thin as he stretched them out. His face similar to its previous appearance, except his nose was flat and shaped like a snake’s. His eyes, which had been bloodshot before were now completely scarlet with vertical slits for pupils.

“Lucius, my robes,” he commanded.

Lucius quickly grabbed the robes he had purchased for his master with his left hand. He was having a difficult time draping them over his shoulders. Macnair knelt before the Dark Lord.

“Master, may I help?” Macnair begged the Dark Lord.

“Yes, Macnair, you may assist.”

Lucius looked at Macnair. He had wanted to be able to robe the Dark Lord by himself, but he was too awkward with his severed right hand. Between him and Macnair, they had robed their master. Judson, by this time the Polyjuice had completely worn off and changed back to his true appearance, stood and stared at them. The rest of the raiding party did the same. They were the six youths that Judson had used to attack the Weasley home. None, but Judson, had ever seen the Dark Lord and his previous intimidating presence. He was even more intimidating now in this present form than before.

“Where is my wand Lucius?”

“Here it is my Lord.” Lucius removed it from his robes and handed it to him. The Dark Lord took the wand and caressed it lovingly. He might have held it and used it before it his hideous state of half man half serpent, but he seemed to be even more enthralled now he held it with actual human hands.

“Where is Potter?” he asked.

“He escaped my Lord,” said Macnair.

“How could he do that with all of you here?” he hissed soft and deadly.

Lucius cowered and knelt to his master. He had heard that tone before and if you were lucky you only received a few minutes of torture. If you weren’t lucky, you would die slowly and painfully. Macnair was also cowering on his knees in front of the Dark Lord.

“Potter is one powerful wizard. It would take a miracle to control him,” responded one of the six arrogant young wizards. He defiantly stood there defiantly and stared at the Dark Lord.

“Do you know who I am?” asked the Dark Lord.

“Yeah, you’re the Dark Lord.”

“Avada Kedavra,” shouted the Dark Lord.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The excruciating pain had stopped as everything folded in around him. Harry could feel Ginny’s presence even stronger in his mind and his body. The pain was replaced with the warmth of her presence, before he reappeared in her arms. At the same time he felt her arms wrapped around him, he heard the noise of people shouting all around him. He looked up to see Sirius and Remus staring at him. He was so near to collapsing from the pain that he could barely make out anyone else in the crowd that surrounded him and Ginny.

“She did it,” Remus shouted with joy.

When Harry had reappeared, he had been standing, but he could feel Ginny collapse dragging him down with her. He reached out with his left arm wincing as pain shot down his arm. He never hit the ground as something that felt like a heavy leather chair collided with his side.

“I gotch ya, ‘arry,” said Hagrid. Hagrid’s large hands gently picked him and Ginny up together. “I’m takin’ ‘em to Madam Pomfrey.”

“Yes, and don’t wait for us,” said a voice that Harry recognized as the Headmaster’s.

Hagrid took off on a full out run for the castle. His stride was long and bounced Harry and Ginny with each footfall. The jostling bothered Harry a little, but he was in so much pain that he didn’t mind since it meant he would be getting to the infirmary sooner. His head was now throbbing in excruciating pain worse than his body.

He realized that Ginny still hadn’t said anything to him. She was holding onto him, but her grip wasn’t that strong.

“Ginny, are you all right?” he asked as he tried to turn despite his pain to see her. Hagrid had to reposition his hold on them as Harry turned to keep from dropping them.

Harry saw Ginny and was filled with fear for her. She was extremely pale and looked to be unconscious.

“Ginny, please say something,” he pleaded with her.

Her mouth started to move, as though she was going to say something, but it twisted in a grimace as tears started to flow from her eyes.

“I thought I was going to lose you,” she said barely above a whisper.

“Who do you have there, Rubeus?” snapped the unmistakable voice of Madam Pomfrey.

“’arry and Ginny, they are hurt bad.”

“Put them down on this bed.”

Hagrid gently placed both of them down on a single bed. Once free from Hagrid’s grip, Harry turned and grabbed Ginny’s hand. She was so weak that it frightened him. He knew that she had connected with him to pull him back to her. So she must have felt the torture that he had gone through. It was probably her mental connection that allowed him the strength to fight back against the torture.

“Madam Pomfrey, help her please. She is so weak,” he pleaded with the nurse.

“I will, but you must lay back yourself and don’t touch her.”

Harry pulled away from Ginny. She reached for him, but he reassured her by whispering to her as Madam Pomfrey waved her wand over her. While the nurse was examining Ginny the hospital wing was filling up with people. They were all asking him questions about what had happened. He didn’t want to answer them right now; he wanted Ginny to be healed.

“If you cannot be quiet, then please leave and allow me to work,” snapped the nurse.

The hospital became quiet suddenly. Even in his weakened state, he could tell that someone had cast a Silencing Charm. As Harry watched the nurse work, he wanted to be able to touch Ginny again. He even believed that it would help her. He did not have her power to heal with his magic, but he knew that she always felt better when he was touching her.

“Mrs. Potter, I am going to give you a Potion to start the healing process. You must drink it. Can you drink it?”

“Yes,” Ginny said barely above a whisper.

The nurse bustled off to her office and quickly returned with a tray which held three large flasks and four glasses. She set the tray on the stand beside Ginny’s side of the bed. She took the largest flask and half-filled a glass with a golden looking Potion.

“Here drink this all down,” said the Nurse gently.

Ginny was so weak that she could barely lift her hand. Harry grabbed the glass from Madam Pomfrey and gently lifted Ginny’s head so she could drink without choking on the liquid. He held the glass against her lips allowing her to sip the Potion out of the glass. The pain exploded in his head again. He almost dropped the glass, but he had to help her now, since she saved him.

It hurt him to know that she had become so weak because of him. His arms were starting to shake from holding the glass and her head, but he wasn’t going to let go of her until she had finished the Potion. She was just about done with the Potion when her eyes opened. He could see it was helping her already. She looked around then focused her eyes on him.

“What are you doing, Harry? You are the one that was tortured.”

He leaned down and kissed her lips gently for a second. “Yes, but you helped and saved me, by taking the pain away,” he said to her. “You are my savior.”

“What do you mean you were tortured but she took the pain away?” asked Madam Pomfrey.

Harry looked around the hospital wing. “Are we the only ones here?”

“Yes, except your friends and family over there.”

“Harry lay back. I’ll explain it,” stated Ginny firmly.

When he lay back, he realized just how tired he was. His left shoulder was throbbing in pain with every heartbeat. Madam Pomfrey was over him waving her wand. “Go on explain.”

“We are soul bonded. I am mentally connected to Harry and he is connected to me, except my mental and emotional connection is stronger. I can also help people, not only Harry, by taking their pain away and even slightly healing them, particularly if the damage is from magic. When Harry was taken away with a Portkey, I was able to sense him and help him fight off the Crucio curses he was getting.”

Madam Pomfrey stopped waving her wand over him and stared at Ginny. “You were able to take his pain away from miles away?”

“Even wards can’t stop our connection.”

“Did you experience muscle spasms as if you had been actually tortured?”

“Yes.”

“That was very dangerous thing for you to do considering your condition.”

Harry thought the way Madam Pomfrey phrased that statement was a little odd. “What do you mean by Ginny’s condition?”

The nurse looked at him then at Ginny for a second. “You will need to drink the same Potion as Ginny.” She said walking towards the tray.

“Why are you not answering me?” Harry asked the nurse. He looked at his wife. “Ginny, what did she mean?”

Ginny blushed a little as she opened her mouth to say something, but Madam Pomfrey interrupted her.

“Wait, Mr. Potter needs to drink this. Finish it just like your wife did.”

Harry took the glass from the nurse. He knew what they weren’t telling him. He just didn’t want to think about or maybe acknowledge what it meant. He drank the potion with little effort. It might be the only Potion that was actually pleasantly flavored.

“Ginny,” he said to her as he pushed up on one arm to stare in her eyes.

“We are going to have a baby, Harry,” she said with tears in her eyes.

Harry stared at her for a second, before collapsing back onto the bed. A horrible pain pulsed through his head. It felt like his head was going to explode and his stomach was roiling as if he was going to get sick. A small hand pressed against his forehead. The pain was starting to subside with her efforts. After a few seconds, he was able to open his eyes. He saw Madam Pomfrey with a puzzled expression on her face as she waved her wand over Harry and Ginny.

“Just relax love, I’ll take the pain away,” she whispered in his ear. “I wanted to tell you today, but things got so crazy this morning. We wanted children, didn’t we? I — I thought you wanted children.”

He was going to be a father. He had a group of murderers out to kill him at any cost, an entire society depending on him to save them, and now he was going to be a father. Several pulses of pain shot through his head. He could feel Ginny dulling them. He felt terrible. Not from the agony that he was enduring, but because he hadn’t responded to support her. She deserved support, not to have to take care of him.

“I am sorry,” he whispered.

“Shh, be quiet, remember I know what you are about to say,” she whispered to him.

He looked up and saw her smiling at him. She was so unbelievably marvelous. “What are we going to name him?”

“I thought Beatrice would be a nice name for HER.”

“Beatrice, he would be teased without mercy all his life,” he said as he pulled her close to him and kissed her.

A scraping noise and the sensation of magic made Harry glance up, he saw Madam Pomfrey create a screen to close off their bed.

“Why don’t you two get some rest,” the nurse said before slipping out.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Silencio,” said Albus Dumbledore with a wave of his wand.

“Albus will they be all right?” asked a nervous Molly Weasley.

“Poppy will be able to heal the after effects of their ordeal,” he told her. He wasn’t sure what had happened. The past thirty minutes had been so confusing and he needed to hear what actually happened. “Now that Harry and Ginny are both safe, does anyone know what exactly happened?”

“Ginny said something about a fake Percy and a Portkey,” offered Bill.

“I can only assume that a Death Eater had used Polyjuice and changed into Percy to get close enough to use a Portkey to take Harry away. I wonder where they took him.” Albus looked at the rest of the people standing there waiting along with him for any answers.

“Ginny was under too much stress and pain to get much else out of her.” Bill said apologetically.

Severus Snape opened the doors to the infirmary. He made eye contact with the Headmaster. Albus knew this was something important.

“Excuse me, I need to speak with Severus,” he said as he left the others waiting in the infirmary.

He closed the doors as he walked past Severus. The former Death Eater fell in beside him as they walked away from the infirmary. They walked a short distance, before stepping inside of an empty classroom.

“You needed to say something, Severus?”

“What happened to Potter today?” questioned the Potion Master.

“He was abducted for a short time period.”

“Were they able to use him to locate the Dark Lord?”

“I cannot see how that would be possible.”

“Something is happening,” Severus hissed. He pulled up his left sleeve to show the dark mark changing colors and writhing on his arm. “It is getting stronger by the minute. It is almost as if the Dark Lord has returned.”

Albus didn’t respond to Severus at first. He clasped his hands behind his back and started to pace. “Did Lucius tell you how he was going to locate the Dark Lord when he had captured Harry?”

“No, I assumed he would use torture and Leglimency.”

“He didn’t mention any ceremonies involving Harry.”

“No.”

“Have you noticed Lucius acting differently recently?”

“Lucius Malfoy wouldn’t waste his time on someone of my social standing. Any associations I have with him involved missions for the Dark Lord.”

Albus didn’t respond immediately. He didn’t want to tell Severus about the Horcruxes. He didn’t want him to have that information in case his cover gets blown or Voldemort would be able to penetrate his mental shields. He kept pacing as he thought about the wound on Harry’s arm. Had Lucius discovered the secret about Lily’s sacrifice or should he ask the question; did Tom figure it out?

“Headmaster,” gasped Severus. He had his sleeve pulled up on his left arm. The Dark Mark almost looked to burning with a black fire. Severus’ was twitching from the pain. “The Dark Lord calls.”

Albus closed his eyes. That was a sentence he never wanted to hear again. They were making marvelous progress with dissecting Tom’s history and figuring out where he might hide his Horcruxes. Harry had the right idea: destroy the Horcruxes before Tom regenerates his body.

“Headmaster, I must go to him if I am going to maintain his trust.”

“Then go, if you are prepared for what awaits.”

Severus’s sallow complexion paled as he stared at Albus. He knew this would be a painful reunion.

“I will update you when I return.”

Albus watched as Severus left the room. There was nothing he could do now for Severus’ fate was in the hands of Lord Voldemort. He had to see what was going on in the infirmary. He wanted to know where they had taken Harry, and what happened to him there.

When he returned to the infirmary, there was a screen around Harry and Ginny’s bed. Everyone was still there waiting for him.

“Poppy said they needed to get some sleep.” stated Alastor Moody.

Albus knew better than try to override Poppy’s decisions within her infirmary. He needed to discuss what these people knew. “While they are asleep, let’s discuss what happened today.”

“All the students were able to return to the castle unharmed,” stated his Deputy Headmistress.

“The Death Eaters weren’t very good,” stated Alastor. “I swear some of them were still in school. They showed no experience in combat.”

“These were not the inner circle followers,” said Remus. “They were not even casting that many advanced spells. I agree with Alastor. They may have been out of school for only a year or two. They were able to hit the students with minor jinxes like Leglocker Hexes and other simple spells. I realize that they were actually creating a diversion, but I think the fifth and sixth year students could have taken them.”

After Remus had finished no one else said anything for several minutes. “Does anyone have anything else to say?” he asked the members of the Order of the Phoenix. No one spoke up. “I guess we will need to wait until Harry and Ginny wake up to get more details of what happened today.”

As Albus was walking back to his office, he was also thinking about what Severus would tell him. Was Voldemort back in the flesh? If he was, then it was a good thing that Harry insisted that they start the Order of Phoenix this past summer. If he was; how did he do it, or how did Lucius do it? Did they use Harry’s blood to regenerate the Dark Lord? If Tom realized that Harry was saved by a blood sacrifice, then he would want to use his blood to override the protections. A small smile formed on Albus’s lips as he thought about the possible ramifications of that simple little act.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry woke up with his wife in his arms. He had bad dreams again. His forehead ached as if the scar had been cut into his skin again and was healing. The dreams were strange. He had glimpses of wizards in long black robes with skull like masks covering their faces and they were bowing to him. He loathed them all, because they all failed him. He remembered the torture he subjected them to and hearing them scream for mercy. The thing he remembered that disturbed him the most was seeing his hand point the wand and deliver the curse. Even though it felt like his hand, it wasn’t his hand. It was pale as bone, and the fingers were long and spidery.

“Good Morning,” Ginny said in a breathy whisper.

“Good morning, Mum,” he replied with a smile. She looked at him and practically beamed with happiness.

“You are not upset?”

“No, love, I thought we decided to have children now instead of later.”

Ginny rolled and was on top of him. She ran her fingers through his hair and kissed him passionately. Harry was caught up in her passionate actions, until he remembered where they were at.

“Ginny, maybe we should wait until we are in our room,” he whispered, as he pulled away from the kiss.

She blushed prettily at his comment, before rolling off him and curling up next to him. “I supposed we should tell Madam Pomfrey that we are awake.”

“I guess that would be the proper thing to do, but I don’t want to take any more Potions.” He stopped talking as the screen around them rattled for a second, before Madam Pomfrey opened it.

“You two didn’t sleep long,” she said as she pulled her wand and started to wave it over Harry. Her brow furrowed and she muttered something under her breath. She walked over and to Ginny and repeated casting diagnostic charms. She looked even more concerned as she checked Ginny’s status.

“What is wrong, Madam Pomfrey?” asked Harry.

“This can’t be right,” she said. “Are you two holding hands?” She looked at them and realized that they weren’t. “Budge over Harry.”

Harry moved as far as he could away from Ginny, and she did the same. The nurse started casting diagnostic charms again. The entire time she was doing this she had that strange look on her face. With a huff, she stopped checking Ginny and went to Harry. She stood over him waving her wand, but her expression changed from confusion to disbelief. She stopped casting the diagnostic charms and put her hands on her hips.

“You have been asleep for only two hours and by all my tests you two are completely healthy,” she said obviously surprised. “Only two hours ago, both of your nervous systems were on overload and your magic core was unstable. What happened in two hours?”

“Ginny’s powers,” Harry stated with a smile. He saw his wife blush at his comment.

“I don’t know much about soul bonds, but I suppose any type of magic that can make you two age like you did could heal you so quickly. Don’t get any funny ideas about doing anything dangerous for the rest of the day. I want you two to take it easy and stay in your quarters. I also want you to take two more doses of that Potion I gave you.

“Finally, I want to see you, Mrs. Potter, tomorrow morning. We need to start your prenatal care,” stated the nurse.

“I’ll be here,” said Ginny.

An hour later, they were sitting in the Headmasters office meeting with the Order of Phoenix. Albus was sitting behind his desk, while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were fussing over him and Ginny. Remus, Sirius and Bill sat calmly to his right, while Professor McGonagall was standing by the fireplace. Hagrid was standing by the door. Alastor Moody sat beside the Headmasters desk. Staring at Harry and Ginny.

“I am glad you are both in good shape and out of the infirmary,” stated the Headmaster. “Your healing seemed rather remarkable.”

“They should be back in the infirmary, Albus,” stated Mrs. Weasley. “I can’t believe Poppy would release them this early.”

“We are fine, Mum,” said Ginny exasperated. “Let’s get this over with so we can relax.”

“Harry, what can you tell us about what happened to you?” asked Albus.

“I was standing by the entrance to the Warded area protecting the students as they ran from the village. A person looking like Percy ran up to me and said they needed me in the village to help with the attack. I told him that I couldn’t leave my post, when they grabbed my arm. He had a glove on his hand and it must have been a Portkey, because I was immediately transported to a cemetery by Little Hangleton.

“There I was attacked by several people. They were trying to hold me, I guess. They started off by hitting me with Crucios then tried to tie me up. I was able to fight them off, but during that time period someone stabbed me in the shoulder.

“I think it might have been Lucius Malfoy. I turned and thought I saw him before he ducked behind the Headstone I was standing against. He seemed to be trying to save my blood in a vial or something. When I turned, the cloak blocked some of the curses effects and Ginny was able to pull me to her.

“Does that seem right?” he said to Ginny.

“Yeah, the best that I can remember,” she replied.

“Percy’s certainly not working with the Death Eaters?” asked a shocked Arthur Weasley.

“No, it was one of them using Polyjuice. I think it was Judson. Malfoy called for Judson to help him after I first arrived and the person who looked like Percy responded,” he explained. Arthur and Molly physically relaxed.

“Why would they transport you to a cemetery at Little Hangleton, and can you take us back there?” asked Moody.

“I know where it is Alastor,” said the Headmaster. “I would like to go there and investigate; Alastor, Bill, Remus, and Sirius would you accompany me there? Harry and Ginny please return to your quarters and rest, you two had quite the ordeal today. I will contact you when we return. Molly and Arthur can you stay with them to ensure they actually rest. Minerva, the school is yours until we return.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus walked past the Anti-Apparition wards of Hogwarts. He turned to address the other four people with him. “I will lead the Apparition and the rest of you will link arms. I am going to take you to a spot away from the cemetery. Be ready to fight. Severus was called away by Voldemort. We may be Apparating into the meeting of Voldemort and all his followers.”

“Well that is just bloody wonderful,” growled Moody.

“Yes, Alastor I agree,” he said to the group. “Alastor grab my arm and everyone grab an arm and let’s form a line; ready, one, two, three.”

They all disappeared with one distinct pop. They reappeared at the edge of the woods surrounding the cemetery at Little Hangleton. Albus looked out over the cemetery and saw the Riddle house standing tall against the setting sun.

“Bill, can you check to see if there are any concealment wards,” Albus whispered to him.

“I know spells that will do that, but they will reveal our location too.” Bill whispered in return.

“Let’s take the chance. If they are close, they would have heard the Apparition.”

Bill stepped forward and waved his wand in a circular motion above his head with his eyes closed. Pulses of blue light emanated from his wand, they flew out in large blue arcs away from them in all directions. After about the fourth pass of his wand Bill opened his eyes. The last arc glided away from him. It passed through solid objects, and kept going. If there had been a ward, the blue arc would have returned to them.

“It looks all clear,” Bill announced to everyone.

“Follow me, and keep your wands ready,” Albus told them. The tension among them was so thick that he was afraid that they may hex some innocent person walking through paying respects to their dead relatives. “Alastor, you need to be at the ready. Remember Constant Vigilance,” Albus teased the grizzled old Auror. Moody just grumbled under his breath, while the others chuckled at the humor.

He led them along a path to where he thought Tom’s parents had been buried. His eyes were darting from one side to the other waiting for a spell to be shot at them. They walked through the oldest section of the graveyard past headstones so weathered that the names were no longer legible. Albus’ nerves were getting to him. The graveyard was quiet, too quiet. They should be hearing birds chirping, or some other sounds, but everything was quiet as death.

They walked up a small hill to a newer section of the graveyard. It was still old dating back fifty to a hundred years, but much newer than the section they had just walked through. There ahead of them was a large ominous headstone. The Riddle family was murdered over fifty years ago, by their estranged son/grandson, Lord Voldemort. The Headstone with the carved statue of the Grim Reaper added to the fear and mystery of the incident.

Albus raised his hand to stop everyone else. They all stopped without a sound. He listened carefully for any sounds from anyone waiting for them. When he didn’t hear anything, he started forward. They came upon a strange, grisly scene.

There were seven bodies lying on the ground. They all appeared to be dead, apparent victims of the Killing Curse. By them was a large scarred area, it appeared that an explosion had scorched the grass and left small pieces of metal everywhere. By the Riddle headstone, the ground was torn up like someone had dug something up out of the ground.

“What do we do now?” asked Alastor.

“Investigate it like it was a crime scene,” replied Albus. “Alastor try to determine how they died. Remus, Bill, and Sirius move out and look for any other evidence.”

“I’ll find where Harry was at,” said Sirius. He kicked off his boots and cloak before changing into his dog animagus form. Bill and Remus moved outward in different directions looking behind headstones with their wands at the ready.

Albus looked at the scorched area. He cast a couple of minor charms and noticed something strange. The metal seemed to have unicorn blood on them. He looked at some of the pieces of metal and noticed that it may have been a large cauldron. He noticed more blood and a discarded vial in the grass under the some of the broken metal.

“Bloody Hell,” shouted Alastor. “They are Inferi!”

Albus turned around and saw the seven corpses rising up off the ground. Their movements were jerky and wooden. Alastor was walking away from them. Bill and Remus had turned around with their wands raised.

“I guess we should burn them,” said Alastor.

The Inferus that had been Judson raised his arm and pointed at Albus. Its mouth opened but didn’t move as the voice of Voldemort was heard. “You will die Dumbledore. I, Lord Voldemort, will destroy you, after I kill Harry Potter.”

The Inferi started moving towards them all going in different directions.

“Incendio,” said Alastor. The Inferi burst into flames. They kept moving woodenly as flames consumed them. Within minutes all of the Inferi were smoldering piles of ash on the ground.

“I guess there isn’t any doubt that Voldemort has been resurrected,” said Remus. “What are you doing?” Remus asked Padfoot as he walked past Remus with his nose to the ground.

Padfoot continued over to the remnants of the cauldron and sniffed around for several seconds, before turning back into Sirius. He put his boots and robe back on before speaking.

“I didn’t know we were going to have a campfire,” Sirius said indicating the burning Inferi. “I found where Harry was, and some strange things. I was able to pick up the scent of his blood over there and follow it back here to this burn mark.”

“It appears that Voldemort used Harry’s blood to resurrect himself in a dark ritual,” said Albus. “It was as I feared. Lord Voldemort has regained his body. I don’t think we will find anything else useful here, let us return to Hogwarts.”

“I am going back to headquarters,” said Alastor. “I want to see where everyone is at. I bet that is where he is.”

“Alastor, move with caution and don’t do anything rash,” Albus advised his old friend.

“You know me, I am the epitome of caution,” laughed Alastor, before Apparating away.

The rest Apparated back to the Hogwarts and returned to Albus’ office. When he opened the door Severus Snape was waiting for him.

“Someone, please, get Harry and Ginny,” he asked.

“I’ll be right back,” said Bill. He took off running down the stairs.

Albus moved to his desk. No one spoke as they all found seats. Severus looked in terrible shape. It was obvious that he had been tortured. He was sipping on something as he sat there. Occasionally he would glance over at Remus and Sirius, but he didn’t speak at all.

“Do you need Poppy to bring you anything?” he asked Severus.

“I have what I need here,” he said indicating a silver goblet of something.

“When Harry and Ginny make it here, we can start our discussion of today’s events,” Albus said to everyone in the room. The minutes that it took them to make it to his office seemed like hours. Albus wasn’t sure how Harry and Ginny would react to everything.

The door opened and Harry, Ginny, and Bill Weasley entered. As they were taking their seats, Harry and Ginny were looking around the room assessing everyone. Ginny’s gaze seemed to be locked on Severus. Harry sat down, but Ginny walked over to Severus. She reached out and touched his forehead. He reacted by pulling away from her.

“Let me heal you,” she told him.

“I have everything I need here,” he replied.

“I can stop the pain faster, let me heal you,” she said again.

She reached out and touched his forehead. He reacted to her touch and even looked hesitantly at Harry and the others, but he didn’t pull away from her. Albus watched as the effects of being tortured seemed to melt away from Severus. Within seconds he looked normal, and Ginny pulled her hand away from his forehead.

She didn’t say anything else to him, but went and sat down next to Harry on a chair that magically expanded to be a settee as she approached it.

“Thank you,” said Severus. He looked unsure of what to say or how to react. Albus knew of his past and sometimes wondered if he had ever had someone treat him with kindness other than Lily when they were young.

“Let’s recount everything that happened today. So we all know the same facts,” stated Albus. “The attack on Hogsmeade happened as predicted to capture Harry. No students were hurt, but they were able to get Harry, by using Polyjuice and a Portkey. Harry was taken to a cemetery where he was attacked, but Ginny was able to save him from that and return him here.

“I went to the cemetery with Bill, Remus, Sirius, and Alastor. We found the place where they had taken Harry. It appears that a dark ritual was performed to resurrect Lord Voldemort. Judson, who Harry believes was the person who had used the Polyjuice, and the six who had attacked the Weasley home were found dead at the scene. When we were investigating the scene, they became animated. They were made into Inferi. They gave me a message from Voldemort. He said that he was going to kill me after he kills Harry. We destroyed the Inferi and returned here.

“Severus, what do you have to add?”

Severus looked around the room again. It was evident he didn’t like everyone hearing what he had to say.

“It is true. The Dark Lord has returned. His appearance is different than before. He is thinner. His skin is so pale and almost transparent. His eyes are scarlet with slits for pupils, and his nose is flat like a snake’s. He is still very strong magically and as cruel as ever.

“He called all his remaining followers bearing the Dark Mark together. He tortured them individually according to what he deemed necessary, and then he gave us each an assignment. He is intent on raising an army of dark wizards, witches, and creatures to take over.”

Severus sat there and stared straight forward not saying anything or making eye contact with anyone. Albus knew there was more, but he didn’t want to say it.

“What were you assigned, Severus?”

“He wants me to remain a spy in the Order of the Phoenix.”

Albus was tired and didn’t have time for Severus’s hesitance. “What else, Severus?”

The Potion master looked at him and around the room before speaking. “I am to devise a plan to kill you. He wants it so that the students in Slytherin house actually are the ones to carry it out. He wants the school to be overthrown so he can be in complete control of it.”

Remus and Sirius started protesting. Even Harry and Ginny were commenting about how he can’t do that. Albus ignored all of them. He rose from his seat and walked to a window in his office that looked out over the school. He ignored the conversation behind him everyone seemed to be arguing, but no one was actually disagreeing.

He stared out at the school. It was night and the windows of Hogwarts were sparkling in the night. After all these years the school was just as beautiful as when he first saw it. Then he was crossing the lake in a boat and he was looking up at it in wonder. His perspective of the school has changed over the years, but his love for it and the students within its walls have not.

“I realize we cannot have the Headmaster murdered by his own students. I must have a plan. No one fails the Dark Lord without punishment or losing their life.”

“You owe him your life!” shouted Sirius.

“Silence,” shouted Albus. Everyone stopped talking and stared at him. “He wants to kill Harry first. We will protect him, and that will delay my death. Severus, you must devise a good viable plan for Voldemort, and if necessary carry it out.”

The room erupted with disagreements again. Albus raised his hand to quell the noise. “I have always known that he would come after me. I am not afraid of Death. Severus, promise me that you will not allow a student to destroy their soul, if there is still hope for them. If need be you must kill me. The most important thing until Voldemort is finally destroyed is that you, Severus, be one of his favorites. You can protect the students of this school when I am gone.”

(1) Bone of thy father unknowingly taken
(2) Flesh of thy servant willingly given
(3) Blood of thy enemy forcefully taken

Back to index


Chapter 19: Failed

Author's Notes: Harry and Ginny rethinks what to do next with everything that has happened.


Harry filed out of the Headmaster’s office with everyone else. He was too shocked at what the Headmaster had just said to reply. He may have had disagreements with the Dumbledore’s methods in the past, but he never wished him to die. He had accepted his possible fate without protest. His only wish was for Snape to kill him to ensure Snape’s standing with the Dark Lord. He wanted Snape to be in a position to protect the students of Hogwarts.

It was another incident of manipulation by the Headmaster, but it was for the noblest of reasons. He was genuinely concerned about the welfare of the Hogwarts students. Snape never said that he would carry out the order, but he didn’t have much of a choice. Whatever happened with Dumbledore, it would probably be months or, hopefully, years away, and so everything can be discussed and rethought before that time.

They silently walked through the halls of the school. Students who saw them seemed to sense their grave attitude and moved away to the walls of the hallways. It wasn’t curfew and the students weren’t doing anything wrong. It was probably intimidating to see so many teachers and assistants with cold hard expressions on their faces walking in a group.

They stopped at the top of a staircase. Snape would need to go down to the dungeons to his living space, while Harry and the rest would continue along on this floor to their living spaces.

“I will see you tomorrow,” drawled Snape. He seemed to speak to the entire group, but he was looking directly at Ginny.

“Yes, Professor, see you at breakfast,” replied Sirius with none of his usual contempt.

Everyone seemed to notice Sirius’s tone and they all looked at him. Even Snape raised an eyebrow at his former nemesis. Sirius didn’t react to the looks from everyone. He just stared back with a neutral expression. Snape almost smiled at Sirius, before walking away to the dungeons.

Sirius didn’t say anything until Snape was completely out of hearing range. “What, if I were to take the mickey out of him, you would yell at me for being insensitive,” he told them.

“Well mate, in the past you were always insensitive to Severus,” said Remus.

“No I was not,” sputtered Sirius. “I was always just taking the mickey out of him. He just reacted so well that I couldn’t stop myself.”

Everyone laughed at his comment. “I believe you, but I want to get to my quarters,” said Bill. “I have papers to grade.”

They all stepped out together. Harry smiled as Sirius, Remus, and Bill took defensive positions around Ginny and him. No one said what to do, they just did it. They almost didn’t need to look at each other as they all knew exactly what to do. Sirius was on their right hand side, while Remus was on their left. When they came to a corner in the hallway, one or the other would step forward and check what was down the hallway before he or Ginny reached the corner. They had just negotiated the last turn to the hallway where their rooms were located, when Ginny froze in her tracks. She had a look of terror on her face.

“What’s wrong?” he asked her. Ginny looked at him wide-eyed. Everyone else noticed her extreme behavior. She gripped his hand so tight that he thought the bones were going to snap. “Gin, you are scaring me. What is wrong?”

“She knows,” she whispered out. All the blood had drained from her face.

Harry was confused by the response. “Who knows what?”

“My Mum, you prat. She knows because Madam Pomfrey is in there,” she said with venom.

Harry was still looking at her with a puzzled expression. He wasn’t sure what was so wrong with her parents knowing something, and then he realized what she was talking about.

“Is your Mum angry?” he asked her.

She laughed at his question. “Angry, no not really, she is just overly excited about her first…,” Ginny stopped talking slapped a hand over her mouth.

Harry was relieved that Ginny didn’t say that she was pregnant. He wasn’t sure how her brother would react. He couldn’t get that lucky. Bill who was overly inquisitive and intelligent had figured it out.

“Ginny, are you pregnant?”

She bit her lip and looked up at Harry for help.

“Yes, we are,” he said with false confidence. He stared at Bill waiting for him to say something. Ginny was obviously worried about everyone finding out about her pregnancy. He wasn’t sure why, because she had wanted this and even spoke to her parents about it.

“Was this planned?” asked Bill.

“Yes, we need to ensure the Potter line doesn’t end if we fail to destroy Voldemort,” Ginny said. “We even told Mum and Dad about it.”

Bill stared at the both of them. He looked at Sirius and Remus. Harry waited as Bill’s expression changed several times from anger to happiness and then an expression that looked faintly like fear. “We can talk about this situation later and what it will mean for our mission. I am guessing that you should go in there and face Mum. I am going to do the rounds of the castle to ensure everything is secure.”

Remus looked at Sirius before walking away. “If Bill is walking the rounds, I will make sure no one tries to attack him.”

Sirius looked lost for a second before following Remus. “I will keep an eye on his back.”

“I can’t believe you three are Gryffindors,” shouted Ginny, at their retreating forms.

“We also have some Ravenclaw tendencies,” shouted Bill back at her.

“I guess we face Mum on our own,” she sighed.

Harry lifted her hand up to his lips and kissed it. “I am sure it won’t be that bad. I will be there right beside you through everything.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at him. “The only good thing about this is we are living at Hogwarts, so Mum can’t be pestering me every day about my pregnancy.”

Harry laughed at her comment. From being around the Weasley’s he learned that Molly was overly protective, but he could not see her being nearly that extreme. “We will need to leave and stop by the Burrow once a week. She should be happy about that.”

Ginny reached for the door knob of their living area. “You can be so thick at times.”

He was offended at her comment, but didn’t have time to reply. The door opened and it seemed that Molly had been standing on the other side of the door waiting for them.

“Where have you been?” Molly Weasley asked them. She did not wait for an answer. “Ginevra, you need to take care of yourself, considering your condition. Did you know this before you decided to get into a battle? That was very irresponsible of you. One Dark Spell and…,” Molly stopped talking as she whipped a tear from her eye.

“You must be more careful, get plenty of sleep, and eat properly. You must think of your child, too.”

Molly burst into tears and hugged Ginny. Harry stared as Ginny also burst into tears and hugged her mother back. He remembered Ginny saying that her empathy was strongest with him and her mum. It appeared that Ginny felt the same emotions as her mum. Now he understood why she was so hesitant to face her Mum alone without Bill, Sirius, and Remus being here. They would have been a distraction.

Molly pulled away from Ginny and held her face with both of her hands. “I understand that Poppy will be checking on you during your pregnancy. I supposed it won’t be any problem for you to come here for the appointments. You and Harry can have Bill’s room…,”

Harry cut Molly off. “We will be living here until the end of the term,” he said. He tried not to be too forceful, but he wanted to let her know that they were not leaving the castle.

Arthur sat quietly in the corner of the room sipping on a cup of tea. He looked at Harry with a weary look and shook his head, before taking another sip of tea.

“You can’t stay in the school if Ginny is in the condition she is,” said Molly.

“Madam Pomfrey can check to ensure that everything is fine, and we can stop over every weekend. You won’t be left out of this,” said Harry. He figured this should placate her.

“No, Ginny must come home. She is still very young and needs her mother’s help,” stated Molly.

“Madam Pomfrey can notify you if there is any reason to be concerned,” said Harry quickly, he never thought he would be negotiating like this. “We can stop by twice a week.”
“I am here only to ensure you take your potions, which I see you haven’t,” stated Madam Pomfrey. She poured out two helpings of the healing potion. “Here, drink up and get plenty of sleep. I must get back to my other patients.”

Harry took his vial of Potion. He knew Madam Pomfrey didn’t have anyone else in the infirmary. Molly had already grabbed the Potion from Madam Pomfrey for Ginny. She nearly shoved Ginny in a chair by the fireplace saying that she should be off her feet and promptly demanded that she take the Potion. Why didn’t he see the possibility of Ginny’s Mum being smothering. Was it naïve on his part?

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry sat in the large overstuffed chair by the fire brushing Ginny’s hair. She was sitting on the floor between his legs with one arm on each of his knees. He gently pulled the brush through her long silky hair. It had been an hour since her Mum and Dad left. He didn’t know if the terrified trio, as he and Ginny had decided to call Bill, Sirius, and Remus, had returned from their sudden inspection of Hogwarts halls. Ginny had barely spoken since her parents left. He wasn’t sure why. Her Mum might have upset her with her fussing and mollycoddling, or maybe it had been the day they had. It didn’t matter what the reason was. He knew that she was upset and doing this seemed to calm her.

“You can stop now if you want,” she told him. “I have calmed down. Thank you!”

She kneeled between his legs and kissed him gently on the lips. She crawled up in the chair with him and curled up. He wrapped his arms around her. He was unsure what to say right now. This day had been so overwhelming. So many things went wrong. They had always planned on defeating Voldemort before he had regained his physical form. Now he had returned, they still hadn’t destroyed any Horcruxes except the diary, and now Ginny was pregnant.

They were going to have a child. He knew if he had defeated Voldemort they would start a family, but he was unsure about before Voldemort was defeated. When she first approached him about the possibility of starting a family, he was a little affronted. He thought that she didn’t think he was good enough to defeat Voldemort.

Now that Voldemort was back in the flesh, he wasn’t too sure he could defeat him, before being killed. They had a plan and were starting to execute it, but Voldemort’s will and his followers had thwarted Harry’s plan.

He had failed to realize the extent of Voldemort’s desire to rule and overcome death. It was a silly thing to do, because if Voldemort didn’t have such a strong desire to defeat death, then he wouldn’t have created the Horcruxes. The only thing they can do now is reassess where they are on the mission and move forward. The Horcruxes must be destroyed whether Voldemort had regained is body or if he was still a bodiless specter.

“You’re right we still need to continue to find and destroy the Horcruxes,” Ginny whispered in his ear. “We will need to be more cautious now that he has returned.”

Harry had been brooding and focused on his thoughts while staring into the fire that he forgot Ginny was sitting on his lap. She shifted and looked at him slightly affronted.

“Sorry, I was so caught up in my failures that I even forgot about you,” he whispered miserably.

“Harry, you didn’t fail and I am not all that offended,” she replied quickly. “Voldemort caught us off guard this time. None of us died; most importantly you and I can still finish this mission.”

“People did die,” he said, shocked that she forgot about the seven people at the graveyard. They might not be any of their friends, but they were still people. “Soon others will also die. Maybe even some of our friends and family. Don’t you care?”

Ginny shoved him and jumped off his lap. The light from the fireplace made her hair look like it was fire, as she stood there and glared at him.

“Don’t you ever say that ‘I don’t care’ Harry James Potter! Don’t you ever think it again! I care some of the people who are going to die will probably be my family. It won’t be because of you, but because they will fight for what is right. They will join the Order to defeat Voldemort. If that happens, it will rip my heart out, but we will still have hope because you and I are alive to finish him.”

Tears leaked out of her eyes and she savagely wiped them away and she turned away from Harry. “If I didn’t care, we wouldn’t even be here. I would do anything in my power to keep you away from this fight. We could have a rather nice life hiding in the Potter estates. We could take family and friends to live with us, but that would make me and us cowards.”

Leaning down and placing her hands on his knees and staring in his eyes she whispered to him. “I am not a coward. You are not a coward. Together we must face this prophecy, Harry. I am willing to do that. I am not afraid to die as long as our child is born first. Until that happens we must do whatever is necessary to find and destroy the Horcruxes. Our mission hasn’t changed, only the conditions surrounding it.”

Harry was mesmerized by her intense gaze. She nearly crackled with defiance and determination, but there was also fear in her eyes. It was the fear that made him realize how much she meant everything she said. She knew the risks, but she was determined to face the dangers and accomplish this seemingly impossible task. Taking her face in his hands he gently kissed her on the lips.

“I am sorry that I am so afraid,” he said to her.

“It’s all right to be afraid. Don’t ever quit on me, Harry, and don’t think that every bad thing is your fault. I could sense your time with your horrid relatives coming out and I don’t like it.”

She plopped down on his lap again and leaned in against him. “I am not saying that I will never feel the same thing that you just felt. When I do, don’t be afraid to shout some sense into me. I think we will need each other more now that he is back than even before.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The next morning Harry and Ginny woke up late and ate breakfast in their room. Neither one wanted to go to the great hall. They could only imagine the rumors running through the Hogwarts grapevine. After breakfast they took a slow walk to the infirmary. Ginny was feeling a little apprehensive about her first actual prenatal exam. She could sense that Harry was a little nervous also, but she couldn’t sense what it was about.

They walked into the infirmary to find Madam Pomfrey sitting in her office reading the Daily Prophet. She looked up at them before folding the paper neatly and placing it on her desk.

“Come into my office,” she called out to them. “I was wondering when you would make it for your follow up to yesterday’s ordeal. Come on now; pip, pip,” she called to them.

Ginny looked at Harry, who shrugged his shoulders. He seemed to be confused by her strange actions. Ginny couldn’t sense any malice from her, but she seemed a bit nervous about something. They walked into the office as directed.

“Please close the door, Harry?” asked the school nurse.

Ginny watched Harry close the door.

“Now cast an Imperturbable Charm on it and don’t make a show of it,” the nurse demanded. She had a stern look on her face, but her voice was filled with compassion. “I am going to drop the shades in this room so no one can see what we are doing.”

In just seconds they were completely closed up securely in Madam Pomfrey’s office. Ginny could sense Harry’s anxiety. He still had his wand in his hand. Madam Pomfrey looked down at the wand tightly gripped in his hand.

“I am who I say I am, but you can keep your wand out, Mr. Potter,” said Madam Pomfrey. “These are dangerous times we are living in. Especially for you two, or should I say three,” she said with a hint of a smile.

“Your exams will be scheduled so that no one can know about them. We don’t want the wrong people learning of your condition Mrs. Potter. If you ever come to an appointment and I ask Mr. Potter to put his wand away. Stun me! You can’t take a chance that someone got to me. Do you understand that?”

“Yeah, I appreciate your honesty. I have a request,” Harry said. The Nurse looked at him waiting for the request. “Don’t use any nonverbal spells during the exam.”

The Nurse looked at him and small smile formed on her lips. “Very shrewd, I will remember that. All right let’s get you examined Mrs. Potter.” With a few waves of her wand and a few Transfiguration spells on her desk, Madam Pomfrey created an exam bed for Ginny to lie down on.

Ginny laid there listening to all the incantations Madam Pomfrey was using to test her. She was able to pick out about half the words of the spells and it gave her an idea what the nurse was checking. Several of the spells seemed to penetrate into her womb and gave a strange sensation. It shocked her at first, and when she turned and looked at Madam Pomfrey, the nurse smiled and reassured her that it was normal. The exam seemed to take forever, but Ginny knew it was her anxiety making seem so long. It was over after only five minutes.

“All right, Mrs. Potter everything seems fine. You are healthy and I see no abnormalities that might cause you problems with the pregnancy. You must make sure to not over exert yourself physically or magically. Your baby is tethered to you in both ways.

“You appear to be just over five weeks. So your due date would be around, June 15th; right around final exams. It is still too early to determine the sex of the baby. Do you want to know?”

“Yes,” said Ginny.

“No,” replied Harry. They looked at each other and chuckled.

“I guess you two don’t think exactly alike with that bond,” chuckled the nurse.

“We are bonded because we complete each other, not because we are identical,” said Harry.

“That is very interesting. You are both different, but you are what the other needs. So you two talk it over and decide if you want to know the sex of the baby. Ginny, if you experience any sharp sudden pains, any long dull pains accompanied by discharge or bleeding, contact me and I will exam you. I mean day or night.

“I would like you to take a prenatal potion, but there is a problem. It is very tricky to make and it is dispensed by St. Mungo’s. I can’t get it here because none of the students should be getting pregnant. I can’t even get the entire procedure to make it, because it is closely guarded secret.”

“Why is that?” asked Harry.

“Abraxas Malfoy created it.” The nurse walked towards her bookshelf as she spoke over her shoulder. “The Malfoy’s had a legal magical contract drawn up that no one can make this with paying them royalties. No one can divulge how the Potion is made without the Malfoy’s approving it.”

“Have they had people arrested for revealing the method of making the Potions?”

“No, Ginny, the contract makes the person who tries to divulge the brewing method to forget about it and everything else from the point the learned the procedures.”

Madam Pomfrey placed a book on the bedside table. “Here is the list of ingredients. As you can see they are all low grade poisons. Somehow you must be able to extract or neutralize the common poisons. I wouldn’t be telling you this if it wasn’t important. The Potion also helps bind your magical essence to that of your unborn child.”

“The last thing I need to tell you is protect one another. You two are the most important people in the magical world right now. I might just be a nurse in a school, but I know you two are at the center of the fight against Voldemort. We are all depending on the two of you to defeat him.”

Ginny stared at Harry. How did she know about the Prophecies?

Madam Pomfrey tutted and shook her head. “It doesn’t take Albus Dumbledore to see how important you are. If you weren’t important why would Voldemort be after you like he is? Trust no one but yourselves. Now off with you. I am sure the Headmaster will want to talk to you today.”

The blinds gathered up at the top of the windows in her office. Harry silently canceled the Imperturbable Charm on the office, before they left the office. There was no one in the infirmary and only a few students in the halls. It seemed almost too quiet, but it was a late morning on a Sunday. Most of the diligent students were studying and rest were either sleeping or playing games with their friends.

The entire way to their living quarters Ginny was reaching out with her Empathy sensing people around her. There weren’t many students or teachers near them as they walked. She could sense Harry also trying to sense if anyone was trying to cast a spell at them. She was starting to get depressed now. Last night Harry had a bout of depression and fear about the fight they are facing. Today it was her turn. If she had been right beside Harry when the fake Percy had run up to him, she would have sensed it.

The realization of their mistakes came to her, and made her hesitate as she walked. It was obvious that they had forgotten why they are bonded. They complete each other. They are stronger together than apart. They should never be separated again in battle. If she had been beside him, Voldemort would not have regained his body.

“Ginny what’s wrong?”

She looked at the concern on his face. She had stopped walking and was staring straight ahead. “I am fine. We will talk about it when we get back to our quarters.”

Back to index


Chapter 20: The Order Organizes

Author's Notes: The Order of Phoenix is expanding and is doing things differently than before.
I would like to send out a special thanks to Leif for Betaing my writing. It can't be easy.


Harry sat looking around the room at the rest of the Order members. There were some that he didn’t recognize, but most he knew from the wedding. They were all waiting for Albus Dumbledore to appear so they could start the meeting. No one spoke and everyone seemed nervous. He could only assume it was from the news that Voldemort had been resurrected, but it may also have been from the room.

The Weasley family and Bradenburgs had spent August cleaning the Black family home, but it was still dark and gloomy. The dining room with peeling dark grey wallpaper seemed to absorb all the light from the various candles lit in the room. The dark wooden table and chairs only added to the gloomy atmosphere.

The last time Harry had been here it was the communication room with the map of England with objects representing traced Death Eaters moving around it. There had been several owls sitting over by the far wall. They had moved everything up to a third floor bedroom when they cleaned the room.

Madam Bones shifted in her chair, causing everyone to briefly stare at her. The Head of Magical Law enforcement stared back at everyone and they all turned their eyes away. No one spoke but they were all anxious to get the meeting started. Harry might have been the only one that didn’t want the meeting to start. He didn’t want to explain what had happened at Little Hangleton. He was also afraid that Molly would let it slip that Ginny was pregnant.

Ginny and he arrived a few minutes ago to an already overfilled room. He hadn’t spoken to anyone. Everyone seemed to acknowledge his presence with a silent nod of their head.

Several people checked their watches. Albus Dumbledore wasn’t even late. He would probably be along in a few minutes. Harry and Ginny had left him at Hogwart’s main gate when they Apparated here.

“The place looks much cleaner, since the last time last time I was here,” Ginny said to her Mum, breaking the tension from the silence.

“Thank you, it still needs a lot of improvement,” Molly said. “It will come along. Gabriel and Constance have been very busy working around this house.”

A man and woman who seemed to be hiding in the corner of the room across the table looked at Ginny and smiled. Harry could only assume they were the Bradenburgs. There were a couple of people sitting beside them that Harry had never seen before, but he didn’t want to go around asking questions. They were two rather unremarkable wizards both of medium height and weight. The one had mousy brown hair and the other brown streaked with grey. They wore the same style of robes, which he hadn’t seen before. He could only assume they were Ministry employees. The four seemed to be comfortable around each other so he could only assume they knew each other.

There were six other people sitting behind Harry against the wall that he hadn’t seen before either. He was starting to worry about security here. Should he and Ginny have remained hidden away at Hogwarts? He felt surrounded by strangers. The only people he knew were sitting at the table, except Hagrid, who was taking up a section of wall by himself, and the man sitting beside Madam Bones. He was portly and wore robes similar to Tonks and Kingsley’s. He had to be an Auror.

Ginny laid her hand gently on his forearm. “Relax, we are safe here,” she whispered to him.

He nodded at her. The wait was getting to him. Looking at his watch, he saw that it had been only five minutes since they arrived. The sound of footsteps on the stairs made him look up and instinctively reach for his wand.

Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape stepped into the filled dining room. The Headmaster smiled warmly, while Snape scowled at them. Everyone seemed to sit up a little straighter at the Headmaster’s appearance.

“Good evening everyone,” Albus Dumbledore said brightly. “Let us get this meeting started. As you may have heard, Voldemort has returned. He is presently gathering followers to continue his agenda of blood purity and control of the magical world. It appears that it will be up to us to stop him. Many of his followers have found influential places within the Ministry. We may not be able to depend on them for help.

“I realize that our task might seem impossible without the support of the Ministry. I believe there are enough people who are good at heart that will come to our side if they truly see what type of a monster Voldemort is. If we get enough people on our side, we should be able to clean the darkness out of the Ministry.

“We also have an advantage this time as opposed to the last time Voldemort tried to overthrow the magical society.” Dumbledore glanced at Harry. He could feel everyone’s eyes on him. “We have a head start on who the Death Eaters are and what they are doing. Severus, you may give your report.”

Albus Dumbledore walked away from the table and stood off to the side, while Severus Snape stalked up to the table. He stood there in the gloomy room with his sallow hooked nose appearing out the sheets of greasy hair. Where Dumbledore’s appearance exuded confidence and good feelings in the room, Snape’s appearance did just the opposite.

“The Dark Lord is at the present time hiding waiting for his followers to complete tasks that he assigned them. Until those tasks are complete, I don’t believe he will make his presence known to the magical society.”

“What are these tasks?” asked Madam Bones.

“I do not know what anyone else has been assigned. He kept the tasks secret. Only he and the person they were assigned to know the exact task.”

“What about yours?” The man beside Madam Bones asked.

“I am delaying completing it as long as possible. I will not be able to delay it very long without the Dark Lord becoming suspicious.”

“How long, before the Dark Lord makes his move to overtake the country?” asked Arthur Weasley.

“I am not sure. I have stated that he is waiting on his followers to complete their tasks. He could decide tomorrow to call together his forces and attack, or he could wait for a year.”

“What are they looking for?” asked Alastor Moody; his voice was a threatening growl. He had been quiet until that point of the meeting.

“I said I do not know the tasks assigned his other followers. I have nothing else to share with you. As you all know my position, I will leave so you can continue your meeting.” He turned and nodded to the Headmaster before walking out the door and down the steps.

No one spoke until they heard Snape leave the house and the door close.

“Professor Dumbledore,” said one of the men beside the Brandenburgs it was the one with mousy brown hair. “I would like to request that he doesn’t come to meetings anymore. If he must be here, can I be excused until he leaves? I don’t want him seeing me.”

“He already saw ya, Reg,” said the other man in the same dark blue robes.

“Severus Snape is trustworthy,” stated Albus Dumbledore.

“I am not a fighting man, sir. I just work in the maintenance department of the Ministry. I have a wife and children to care for. I know you have taken care of Gabe and his family, but you can’t take all of us in.”

“Actually I was planning on addressing something about that very issue later in the meeting. It has been mentioned so I feel I should address it now. Mr. Brandenburg will be making Portkeys for all the Order members. They are to be used in only the direst of situations. They will also be strong enough to carry up to ten other people with you. You will be transported to a safe location with provisions. It won’t be here. We will bring you back to England, as soon as possible, to continue on with the fight.”

“Albus, you said ‘back to England’. Where are we being transported to and if we set up these international Portkeys won’t the Ministry find out?” asked Madam Bones.

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled with mischief. “We won’t be asking for approval and our Ministry won’t find out.”

“How will we get back into our country, without being discovered?” Madam Bones asked.

“There are ways,” said Harry. “You will be hidden in the same locations as I have been for the past two years. You will be safe and I will be able to bring you back into the country to help out again. Be very careful with these Portkeys, you don’t want to bring your attackers with you.”

Everyone seemed to become calm after Harry spoke. They still seemed a little unsure of the situation, but no one was openly objecting.

Gabriel Brandenburg stood up and spoke. “If I may ask a favor of everyone, please bring in an object that I can make into a Portkey. It will need to be something that you can have on you at all times, but not easily tripped. When you decide on the object, stop by here and I will create the Portkey.”

Gabe sat back down.

“Madam Bones, would you please speak about the conditions at the Ministry,” asked Albus Dumbledore.

Madam Bones sat up straighter in her chair. “The Ministry is compromised. Not everyone is a follower of Voldemort, but many are sympathetic of his cause. The Minister is really just a pawn of Lucius Malfoy and we know of at least one Death Eater in the Auror department.

“The good news is that there several of us willing to fight against them in any way possible. Reg Cattermole and Gregory Bright are members of the maintenance department. They have been keeping an eye on with whom the known Death Eaters are associating. We already have several more names of possible followers or recruits. I approached these men, because of conversations that I have had with them in the past. They can move through the Ministry barely noticed by anyone and observe things without drawing suspicion. Albus, I would like to request that these two men are not asked to go on any missions they are not fighters but information gathers.”

“I promise not to send them on any missions, but they may want to brush up on their defensive spells. One day we may all be put in a position where we must fight.”

Harry looked from Albus Dumbledore to the two maintenance workers. Gregory Bright seemed to take the news in stride. Reg paled as he stared at the Headmaster. Dumbledore noticed this too.

“Mr. Cattermole, if you do not wish to be put in this position, then you may be excused. I will only ask to have your memory Obliviated before leaving us.”

“No — no, I — I can’t leave,” he stuttered. “My wife, she is Muggle born. She and my entire family will be targets. I need to do something, but I have always been rubbish at defensive spells.”

“What you need is some training,” shouted Alastor Moody. “I think that anyone who isn’t an Auror should have to be retrained at Defense. We have plenty of room here to set up a training area. I would be willing to teach you.”

“I think that would be wise for anyone who wants to brush up on dueling and defense,” stated Dumbledore. “We can start setting up a training schedule in about a week or two.”

“A week or two,” snapped a shocked Moody. “I was thinking about starting tomorrow every day for four hours.”

A general rumbling erupted from everyone in the room at Moody’s idea.

“I am sorry, Alastor,” said Dumbledore with smile. “We would attract too much attention if everyone would disappear for four hours at a time. We need to work as covertly as possible. Voldemort knows we have reorganized. He doesn’t know anything else about us. If we spend too much time together, his followers will be able to find out who all is involved with us.”

“As long as no one puts a trace on us, we should be able to elude them,” laughed Alastor.

“We will look at people getting retrained in defense at the next meeting Alastor.” The old Auror looked dejected at having his training regimen shot down. “Do you have the list of known Death Eaters to give everyone?”

“Yeah, I do.” He pulled a single roll of parchment out of his robe pocket and laid it on the table. Tapping his wand to it several times, duplicate copies were created. Waving his wand again he sent them floating to many of the people sitting around the outside of the room. “I will warn all of you. Those parchments are enchanted. They will disintegrate when they leave this house. So memorize them before leaving.”

“If you do not know who the people are on the list, do not worry,” stated Albus. “If you see the ones you know doing anything suspicious make a note of it. If they seem to be actively making new friends and associates, tell us about it. Not every name you give us will be a Death Eater recruit, but we need to find as many as possible.”

Reg raised his hand. “What about someone who these people seem to hate?”

“What are you getting at?” asked Madam Bones.

“Macnair, I have heard him telling people that he can’t wait to set things straight in his department starting with Gracie Woods, who is Muggle born.”

“I’d be more interested in who he was telling this to,” stated Madam Bones.

Reg looked down at the list embarrassed. “Sorry, I don’t know their names.”

Albus spoke again. “You are our eyes and ears out there if you see something suspicious, don’t put yourself in danger there are ways to extract your memories and view them. It would be more useful to us to do this than see a list of names.”

“Would it hurt?” asked a witch from behind Harry. Harry looked at her and tried to recognize her. She looked familiar, but he couldn’t place her face.

“No, Arianna, it doesn’t hurt,” replied Albus gently. “If that is all, then all of you ‘eyes and ears of the Order’ may leave.”

Harry sat there and watched as most of the people sitting around the walls of room stood up and started to leave. What Harry thought was part of Hagrids hairy jacket moved and a short shabby dressed man stood up. He walked up to the Headmaster.

“If it is all the same to you Headmaster, I will give you a list of people I see.”

“Are you afraid of that we might see what you are doing, Mundungus?” asked Madam Bones sharply.

“Hey, my work is very important,” the shabby man replied. “Isn’t it Headmaster?”

“Yes, Mundungus what you do is important.”

“Yeah, when we want to know what’s going on in the sewers of the world,” growled Alastor.

The shabby man quickly left the room staring at Moody the entire way.

“Run, you bloody sewer rat, run,” shouted Moody at him.

“Alastor, we need Mundungus to give us information of what is happening in Knockturn Ally,” sighed Dumbledore. “What information have we gleaned from the traces we have on the known Death Eaters?”

“Headmaster,” said Gabriel Brandenburg. “Before we start into that part, could I get the coordinates from Mr. Potter so we can go see about our daughter?”

Harry sat up and removed the piece of parchment from his robes and stood to hand it to Gabe. The man took the parchment from him, but his brows furrowed when he looked at it.

“I don’t see anything but names on here,” he said.

“The coordinates are written beside the names of where we want the people to go.”

“I don’t see any coordinates either, Mr. Potter.” said his wife.

Harry grabbed the parchment from him and stared at it. There right beside the list of names were the latitude and longitude for each of his estates.

“Harry,” said Bill. “You and Ginny may be the only people who can see those coordinates.”

“Do you have a Fidelius Charm on the houses?” asked Madam Bones.

“No, it isn’t a Fidelius. It is something slightly more complicated and its secret is passed down through a blood connection,” stated Bill. “If we are going to use your estates for our safe houses, you and Ginny will need to create the Portkeys.”

Harry looked at Gabe and smiled. “Sorry, I guess you will have to teach me how to do this.” Gabe gave Harry a strange look. It was almost like he was shocked at Harry’s lack of knowledge or something like that.

“Not a problem. I am here all the time. Just pop by sometime and I will try to teach you. Portkeys can be very tricky, especially if you are using coordinates. Well, good night all,” Gabe said with a hint of a bow, before he and his wife left the room.

Harry ran his hand through his hair in frustration. He was wrong again. He should have known that only he and Ginny would be able to make the Portkeys. They estates were only accessible by the two of them.

“I am sure you will master making a Portkey in a day or two of work,” said Remus.

“Sorry, I thought if I gave them to someone they would be able to see them,” he apologized to everyone.

“Potter, you need to learn a very important lesson about magic,” stated Alastor Moody leaning forward in his chair and staring at Harry with both his magical and normal eye. “Nobody knows everything about magic. Not Albus, not Voldemort, and most certainly someone as young as you. So don’t apologize for not knowing something, all right.”

“Yeah, I understand,” said Harry. He looked around the room and saw sympathetic eyes staring at him. For the first time that night he relaxed, he was so sure this entire meeting would be about him being Portkeyed away and how Lucius was able to take his blood to resurrect Voldemort.

“Good, I want to get back to our traces on the Death Eaters. They are either recruiting like mad or they are searching for something. They have been going to various villages, towns, and cities over the past two days. Most are moving late at night. I don’t know what they are looking for, because they never seem to stay for long. I have even taken a page out of Albus’ book and read the Muggle newspapers from these villages this morning and haven’t seen any news of strange attacks or peculiar activities.”

“You said you were reading Muggle newspapers. Were these villages all Muggle?” asked Sirius.

“Not all of them, but most were. Like I said they seemed to stay around for a few hours then leave. It wasn’t like they were watching anything, because they would stay longer. They didn’t attack anyone either. They haven’t been back to the same places except the larger cities. Do you have clue what they are doing?”

“No not a clue, but it has only been a couple of days,” said Sirius. “Once we get more names, we might be able to see a definite pattern.”

Harry looked at Albus Dumbledore. He seemed to be thinking about something, because his mind seemed to be a million miles away.

“A knut for your thoughts Albus,” said Madam Bones.

“I think I know who they are looking for. I figured Voldemort would do two things before he continued his campaign. Amelia, have the eyes and ears in the Ministry try to pay extra attention to anyone trying to get close to the Department of Mysteries.”

“Why is that Albus?” she asked him.

Harry stared at the Headmaster. He was thinking that Tom was going after the prophecy. He didn’t know what the other thing was that he was going after. It appeared that the Headmaster was keeping secrets, but if concerned Horcruxes, he supposed it could be acceptable. Albus turned and looked at Harry.

“Are you concerned that he will try to get the prophecy?” he asked Dumbledore.

“He still doesn’t know the entire prophecy. I assumed he would want to hear it in its entirety.”

Madam Bones stood up. “I don’t like to mess with things like that so I will just pass along the message to keep a watchful eye for any strange activity. I shall see all of you later.” Madam Bones left the room.

“I suppose that concludes this meeting,” said Albus, and everyone started to stand up.

“Wait, I want to propose a crazy idea,” said Sirius causing everyone to hesitate in their chairs. “Starting tomorrow night, I want to start tracking these Death Eaters and their activity up close. When you see them go to a location, Alastor, send me a Patronus telling me where they are.”

“Sirius, that is really dangerous,” said Ginny.

“Yeah, it is, but it might give us some answers,” he replied with a roguish smile. “Besides, I will be very careful.”

“I’ll do it too,” said Proudfoot. “It will sure beat sitting in this place staring at the map all damn day long.”

“It is dangerous, but it might move things forward,” agreed Albus. “I want both of you to have an emergency Portkey to some safe location in England from where you can then Apparate here or to Hogwarts. Sirius, why don’t you come here tomorrow night and have Gabriel create a Portkey, before going on your assignment.”

“Sounds like a plan,” barked Sirius.

Everyone stood up this time. Molly Weasley seemed to Apparate to Ginny’s side. She was hugging her daughter then she was holding Ginny’s face in her hands staring in her eyes. Harry couldn’t tell what she was saying with the noise from the chatter in the room.

Molly released Ginny and grabbed Harry and wrapped him in a bone crushing hug. She did the same thing with his face. “I don’t want you to take unnecessary risks. You two have been through enough. There are other people to fight this war. I want you to promise me that you don’t do anything crazy, Harry.” She said while gripping his face with both of her hands.

“I promise,” he said. He was halfway between being annoyed at the treatment and laughing about it.

“Good, you see that you do young man,” she said before quickly moving away.

Harry watched as she attacked Bill the same way. He felt a hand on his shoulder he looked up into Arthur Weasley’s kind face. “You’ll need to understand that she just doesn’t want anything to happen to anyone she loves, Harry. I know we had a rough patch at first, but she does care for you like family.”

“Thanks, that’s good to know.”

“Well, I guess we should be getting back to the Burrow. Stop by and visit sometime soon. Just make sure Molly can cook for you,” Arthur said with a smile.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was staring at the cauldron, as it boiled slowly and steadily. Everything looked just like the Potion was supposed to look when finished, but he wasn’t content. When he checked it for being poisonous, it tested positive every time. He needed to do more research on this Potion and its reagents. Pointing his wand at the cauldron he banished the Potion and cleaned out the Cauldron. He looked at Ginny sitting on the other side of the lab calmly reading a book on making Portkeys and other forms of Magical transportation. He cleaned up the table and put the reagents back into the stores, just before Snape walked in.

“The full moon isn’t for another two weeks, isn’t it a little early to be making Wolfsbane.”

“I am working on another Potion,” Harry replied without looking at the Potion Master.

“What are you working on this time? You have already brewed everything necessary for your NEWT’s.”

“I am working on something a little more advanced. It didn’t work out, so I will need to do some more research. I need to talk to you about something.” Harry turned to face him. “You left last night’s meeting before it was over.”

“I didn’t get the impression that anyone wanted me there.”

Harry smiled at his comment. People didn’t want him there. “We are giving all the Order members Portkeys to use in dire situations. You will need to get an item that you can keep with you at all times to be turned into a Portkey. Use it only as a last resort. It will take you to a secure location where you will be protected.”

“Did it ever occur to you that if the Death Eaters discover I have this Portkey, they make me take several of them to this location?” drawled Snape. He stared at Harry like he had just asked a stupid question in class.

“Yes, I have thought of that possibility. When you use the Portkey, do not fight. Drop your wand when you reach the destination.”

“Drop my wand?” questioned Snape.

“That is all I am going to say about the Portkey.” Harry stood there staring at Snape. The Potion Master stared back at Harry with a calculating stare. Harry even felt what might be described as an attempt to perform Leglimency. His mental wards easily repelled Snape’s feeble attempt. Snape seemed to flinch and even step back away from him. It was obvious that he never expected Harry to be able to use Occlumency.

“I have something else to ask of you, Professor.”

“And what is that?”

“I would like you to tell me about my mother.” Severus Snape’s eyes widened and he sneered at Harry.

“Why would I do that?”

“Because you knew her when she was young, I have so many questions about her. I am really curious about her relationship with Aunt Petunia. Up until I received my Hogwarts letter, I was told that Mum was a lazy drunk who died in a car crash. When I received the letter, Petunia referred to her as a freak…,”

“A freak?” snapped Snape. “That foul bitter girl called your mother lazy and a freak. Tooney was the freak, not your mother.”

“What were they like when they were young?”

Snape glared at Harry, and then at Ginny as she walked up to Harry’s side. He looked back at Harry with a leer of pure revulsion. “The memories of my youth are mine, Potter. Yes, your mother was my friend before we came here and for most of our years at Hogwarts. If you want me to spend hours with you reminiscing about those times, you will be disappointed. I don’t intend to share those memories with anyone. I will tell you one thing about your mother.”

Snape hesitated. He seemed to be uncomfortable standing there staring at both Harry and Ginny. “Your mother was the most beautiful and wonderful person I have ever met, and your Aunt was nothing but a harpy. Now get out of my lab.”

Harry nodded at the Potion Master. It was obvious that making him remember his youth was painful for him, or it could have been regret. It didn’t matter. Harry would probably never learn what his Mum was like before she came to Hogwarts.

He and Ginny walked shoulder to shoulder up the stairs leading to the upper floors of Hogwarts. He was disappointed with Snape’s reaction. He didn’t want to delve deeply into Snape’s feelings for his Mum. He just wanted to know what type of things his Mum did. What games she played. Was she happy as a child? What was Petunia like, and did she have any reason to hate her sister other than being magical?

“Harry,” said Ginny softly, as they walked. The only other sound was the soft brushing of their leather shoes on the worn stone floors. “He may not want to discuss what your Mum was like, but he told you so much more about her. He said that she was the most wonderful and beautiful person he ever met. We know what he thought of your Mum. Isn’t that something?”

Ginny stopped walking and pulled on Harry’s hand. “I grew up with my Mum and I don’t know the type of things she did growing up. I know you want to know more to better understand her. Maybe you have to be content knowing that she was the type of a person that everyone loved and adored, except your Aunt.”

He smiled at her and brushed his hand across her cheek. He was so lucky to have her there to calm and make him see things more completely. “I am so lucky to have you.” He leaned in and kissed her.

Ginny smiled at him with a crooked smile. “Yeah, you are.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Sirius and Francis Proudfoot appeared with a pop about half a mile from the last sighting of two Death Eaters. Yaxley and Gregory Goyle were seen near this small nondescript village. Sirius didn’t even know the name of it, and he didn’t care. He was only interested in locating any possible Death Eaters in the village and putting a trace on them. This was their second mission to put traces on Death Eaters and if everything went well for them, there would be a few more that could be traced.

Last night they had followed Macnair and Crabbe. There had been three others with them; two wizards and one witch. Three Confundus Charms and three tracking spells later, they had three others that they could trace. That was only the first night, but it was hard not to be optimistic about their possible progress.

It was nearly midnight. Many Death Eaters seemed to wait until eleven thirty to go out on their missions.

There was a slight mist appearing over the grass that separated them from the village. Even at this distance, the three-quarter moon cast enough light to illuminate the five wizards moving through the shadows of the old village streets. The buildings were built close together, showing they were from a time period before there were cars. The thick thatched roofs with their extra-large eaves cast shadows on the walls of the buildings, creating perfect hiding places for those who didn’t want to be seen.

“I’ll go first,” Sirius said to Proudfoot. “Meet me there on this side of that outbuilding.” Sirius was pointing at a building on the same side of the village as they were. It would be easy for Proudfoot to move to the outbuilding without being seen.

Sirius had left his dragon hide cape and boots back at Hogwarts. Their resistance to magic made it awkward to change into his Animagus form and back. It had taken him fifteen minutes to inform Proudfoot of his plan to track the Death Eaters as Padfoot the night before. It took another twenty to calm him down before he could leave the bloke alone. Tonight he seemed to be taking it in stride.

“See you soon. Smell you sooner,” Sirius joked, as he changed into a large black dog.

The air came alive with scents that he hadn’t noticed in his human form. So many were delicious smells, while others were not so pleasant to him. he wondered if dogs separated scents between pleasant and unpleasant, or if they just separated things into food, enemy, and courtship. A particularly strong scent floated to him as he moved across the open field. It was a female in season. He would have to be cautious of other male dogs. He was large enough to defeat many of them, but it would draw attention to him.

He was able to pick up the scent of wizards. There were five distinct scents. They all smelled of old polished leather. He was able to recognize Sleekeazy’s leather cleaner in the air. He followed the first scent that he was able to separate from the others. It only took him about thirty seconds to locate the witch. She was several houses in front of him. She seemed to be waving her wand and casting some type of detection spell.

Padfoot left her and moved almost silently to his right. He was able to see the next wizard at the same time he smelled him. He again was trying to detect something. It took only about two minutes to locate the others. They were all moving through the small village rather methodically. He noticed that they seemed to be signaling each other, as if they had found what they were looking for.

He padded away, often looking back to be sure he wasn’t noticed. The Death Eaters seemed more interested in surrounding a house than noticing him.

He moved around the outbuilding to see Proudfoot leaning against the wall panting from the exertion of getting there from the woods. Sirius transformed back to his old self.

“They have found something,” he whispered to his partner.

“Should we send for backup?” Proudfoot asked.

Sirius almost laughed at him. They had no backup. They were on their own. “No, we go in now. Use a Confundus quickly followed by Sleeping Hexes. They don’t make a sound and they don’t create a bright light. Only use a Stunner if we get noticed. After they are out, Obliviate them and find out what they were after.”

They cast Disillusionment Charms on themselves before moving from behind the building. Sirius was back to his human form so he could quickly cast spells. They moved silently but slowly through the village street. The distant sound of dogs howling and barking covered up any sounds of their footsteps. They made a wide arc around the Death Eaters. He was surprised they hadn’t tried to get inside.

He stood there and stared at the formation of the Death Eaters. They had surrounded the house, but there was a method to what they had done. There was a Death Eater watching every side of the house and two at its front door. They were staring so intently at the building that Sirius doubted they would even notice him and Proudfoot approaching without the Disillusionment.

Canceling his charm, Sirius fired a Confundus charm quickly followed by a Sleeping Hex on the nearest Death Eater. She slumped down on the street asleep. He looked over and saw Proudfoot had done the same. They moved quickly around the building, putting everyone to sleep in seconds.

Sirius and Proudfoot stood there staring at each other, shocked at the ease with which they had dispatched the five Death Eaters. Proudfoot waved his wand in front of him. The detection spell indicated that there were Anti-Apparition Spells in place.

“They must be after a sorcerer,” Sirius whispered. “Let me sniff around a bit.”

Proudfoot nodded his agreement and stood guard as Sirius changed into Padfoot. Walking slowly towards the front door of the house, he was able to pick up a faint scent. It was something he had smelled a long time ago. It wasn’t a single scent, but the combination of two or three. He sniffed at the threshold of the door while picking his ears up, listening for movement inside.

The memory of the scents came back to him in a rush. He had never smelled them as a dog, but as a student at Hogwarts. He was able to separate them now. He was almost positive who was in the house. He changed back to his human form and went to speak to Proudfoot.

“I know who they are looking for,” he whispered. “It’s Professor Slughorn.”

“How do you know that?”

“I can smell candied pineapple and oak-matured mead, along with scent of that awful French perfume he likes so much. I will go in and collect him. Can you Obliviate and put the Trace on these ones out here by yourself?”

“Sure, they all seem rather out of it. It would be safer though if we just Stunned them before you go inside. If one would wake up with my back turned to him, I would be in a rather sticky situation.”

“All right, let’s get moving,” hissed Sirius. Proudfoot definitely wasn’t a Gryffindor, but he did have a point.

It only took about a minute to Stun all five Death Eaters. Sirius made quick work of the door lock and soon he was standing in the middle of a well-furnished sitting room. It was definitely Muggle in appearance. It had electric lights, but no telly. Sirius moved to the next room and dining room, but the scent became weaker. He often retained much of his canine senses for several minutes after changing back to his human form. He smiled at the memory of James with the bumps on his head where his antlers never completely went away for thirty minutes.

Sirius moved to another room on the other side of the sitting room. The scent of pineapple, mead, and perfume became weaker. He walked back into the sitting room and looked around. He smiled at Professor Slughorn’s mistake. There in the sitting room with all matching furniture was a chintz overstuffed chair. Sirius hadn’t paid it much attention at first, but now it was pretty obvious that it didn’t belong.

“Hello Professor,” said Sirius cordially. He sat down in a chair opposite of the chintz chair. “The Death Eaters outside will be waking up in a few minutes. It would be best if you are not here. They will not remember meeting me and my associate. They will come inside here to capture you. At least that is what they were going to do.”

The chair morphed back into Professor Slughorn. He had gained weight since he taught Potions during Sirius’ time at Hogwarts. Considering the rich food he liked, it wasn’t any shock to see him this large. If he had flippers instead of arms and legs he could have passed for a walrus with his girth and his large bristly moustache.

“What will you do with me?” the Professor asked.

“Take you to the Headmaster, and let him figure out what to do with you.”

“How is Albus doing these days?”

Sirius smiled at the question. “He is doing well. Why don’t you ask him when you see him? Or, would you prefer to meet up with Voldemort?”

“Don’t say his name,” snapped Professor Slughorn. “I will go with you. Let me get my supplies.”

Sirius rolled his eyes at the Professor’s obsession with objects, particularly candied pineapple.

Back to index


Chapter 21: Confusion at the Ministry

Author's Notes: Madam Bones learn of things involving another high ranking Ministry employee. Harry and Ginny are called to speak with Horace Slughorn.
I would like to give a big shout out to Leif for his Beta work.


Ginny was leaning on her left side because it was comfortable. Her left arm was starting to ache, but she didn’t dare move. She never thought about morning sickness, when she made the decision to have a baby. Being the youngest in the family, she wasn’t even sure if her Mum experienced morning sickness. She was six weeks along and thought this wasn’t going to happen to her.

Harry gently moved her hair off her face and stared at her with concern with those beautiful green eyes. He started to sit on the bed beside her. The movements made her stomach roll. She closed her eyes and moaned slightly at the sensation of getting sick again.

“Is this making you sick?” he asked barely above a whisper.

She opened her eyes slightly to see Harry perched on the edge of the bed. He had frozen as he was sitting on the bed. He was obviously very uncomfortable stuck in a half crouched position. Ginny could not help herself. She let out a small chuckle, which nearly made her sick again. She quickly covered her mouth. Harry stared at her wide-eyed. He was probably afraid she was going to get sick on him again.
Most people would be angry if their wife got sick on them when they kissed her good morning, but not Harry.

“I promise that I won’t get sick on you again.”

“Thank you, I would really appreciate that,” he said smiling at her. “I am going to get up and send Dumbledore a note that we can’t make this morning’s meeting. Then I am going to make you something to help you feel better.”

“I am feeling better. Maybe we could meet with the Headmaster a little later?”

He stood up quickly making the bed roll like the ocean. Ginny’s stomach made a loud rumble and she covered her mouth again.

“I think we will cancel the meeting this morning,” he said chuckling. “I was wondering if you would experience morning sickness. Dobby!”

The energetic House Elf appeared instantly. “You called Master Harry Potter, sir?”

Ginny started to giggle at the House Elf’s appearance. He was wearing a small flannel shirt and bib overalls. They fit Dobby but looked strange with his large head, hands, and bare feet. Harry glanced at the House Elf and tried to contain his laughter as he wrote a note for Professor Dumbledore.

“Dobby, can you take this to the Headmaster?”

“I will take it straight to him, Master Harry Potter, sir.”

“Dobby you are a free Elf. I am not your Master. You can just call me Harry. I like your clothes. Where did you get those to fit you?”

“I find them at a Muggle mass storage area. They bring these large trucks loaded with all types of Muggle items for storage on the pile. I found these along with other clothing, but Dobby won’t wear dresses.”

Harry leaned down and looked at something on the front of the bib overalls. He smiled at Dobby before handing him the note.

“What does Master….” Dobby stopped talking, and then corrected his wording. “What does Harry Potter want me to do after I deliver the note?”

“You can go back to work with the rest of the Hogwarts Elves.” Dobby looked dejected at his statement. “Dobby can you bring our meals to our room here today?”

“Yes, I can do that. Thank you!” squeaked the House Elf. He disappeared with a pop.

Harry started laughing. “He was wearing dolls clothes. That House Elf never ceases to amaze me.”

Ginny smiled at Harry’s reaction. He would make such a wonderful father. He was already a wonderful husband. She closed her eyes to help calm her nausea and dozed off, because the next thing she realized was Harry standing in front of her. He had a tray with a steaming mug of something and a rose in a bud vase.

“Here drink this; it will help with your stomach.” Harry sat the tray on the bed.

She picked up the mug and sniffed it. The fragrance seemed to chase away her nausea. “What is this?”

“It is just some ginger tea with a few extras.”

Ginny sipped the tea and she started to feel better already. “You are such a good husband.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore stared across his desk at his old friend, Horace Slughorn. With his friend’s discovery last night, Voldemort’s plans had come clear. He had suspected that Horace might have some knowledge of Tom’s plans at a young age. Tom had admired Horace and wanted to get into the Slug Club. What Albus needed to figure out was what Tom revealed to Horace that he wanted him captured. Certainly, he didn’t tell Horace about making Horcruxes.

“You still have no idea why Tom wanted you brought to him?”

“As I said Albus, I can only guess he wanted me to recruit influential people to his cause.”

“So you have been hiding from him because you didn’t want to recruit for him?”

“You know I don’t agree with what he has become,” said Horace with a sigh.

“He was an exemplary student while he was here. It is hard to imagine what he became after leaving the school. If we only knew earlier that he would become a Dark Lord. We could have watched him and made sure that didn’t happen.”

Horace flinched at his comment about knowing what Tom would become. Albus tried not to smile. If he did, Horace would catch on to this line of questioning.

“Would you be willing to help us, Horace?”

“Albus, I do not want to take sides in this war.”

“I think you have already taken sides. You are hiding from Tom. You know he looks at things differently from you and me. There are those who follow him and those who oppose him. Unless you join him Horace, you will have chosen your side.”

Horace didn’t say anything. He sipped on his tea and picked up a blueberry scone and took a bite. “What do you want from me, Albus?”

“Two things…,” he said. He stopped talking because a House Elf dressed in strange clothes appeared in the office.

“Master Harry Potter asked me, Dobby, to give this to Headmaster Albus Dumbledore.”

The House Elf held up a small scroll to him.

“Thank you, you have done well,” Albus said to the Elf, who quickly disappeared.

He looked at the note. This changed his plans. He had hoped that Harry and Ginny could make Horace feel guilty so he would be more willing to cooperate. Horace was enamored with Lily and had asked her into the Slug Club. When she started dating James, he thought they would become a power couple of the future generation. When Voldemort murdered them, it crushed him.

“It appears Harry and Ginny will not be able to join us this morning. I was hoping you might enjoy meeting him.”

“If I were to join you, how will you protect me?” asked Horace. “From everything I have heard the Ministry is actually ready to make Tom its Minister of Magic. Albus there is no way you can win this war. Where will that leave me?”

“Spoken like a true Slytherin,” he said with a smile. “Don’t be too sure that this war is unwinnable.”

“Do you have the support to fight the Ministry?”

“Two years ago Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley disappeared after forming a soul bond. No one could locate them. We asked for help form the other Ministries around the world. Unbeknownst to me, the Potter family has a network that is so well hidden that no one can find it. Harry is the key to our victory.

“Help us Horace. I need your help in understanding Tom. You were practically his mentor while he was a student. We will also need to have a good stock of Potions for healing and other purposes. I understand that Potter family owns an estate with a large Potion lab somewhere in Spain that overlooks the Mediterranean. Sirius Black and Remus Lupin both agreed that Lily would have loved that place. It is supposed to be top notch.”

“Brewing Potions would be no problem for me, but I am not sure I can help you with Tom. If there is one thing that he was good at was lying and deceiving people.”

“Everyone slips up, Horace, even Lord Voldemort.” Albus finally smiled. His old friend was going to help him. He would need to handle this with the upmost care, but he should be able to extract the information necessary to find the Horcruxes. Horace didn’t realize it at this moment, because he was more interested in the fine blend of teas and the expertly baked scones.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones finished her meeting with the Heads of the Aurors, Hit-wizards, Underage Magic, and Obliviators. It went well, considering her ever increasing fear of Voldemort’s influence in the Ministry.

Scrimgeour, the Head of the Aurors, was someone she may try to recruit into the fringes of the Order. Her main concern with him was his desire to ascend high in the Ministry. It was something that could be looked upon as a positive trait, but who he would befriend to move up in the Ministry? Would he unwillingly compromise the Order to his new political ally? She was sure he wouldn’t openly support Voldemort, but he may be complicit with some of his influential followers.

She wasn’t sure if it was her paranoia causing her to think this way or if she was just being cautious about him. He never liked Lucius Malfoy’s influence with Fudge. He also reached his present post from his exemplary record of capturing Death Eaters.

She sighed and tried to bring her thoughts back to her regular duties. She waved her wand and all her papers neatly sorted themselves into her attaché. Standing up she left her conference room for her actual office.

“Hello Melvin, anything happen while I was in the meeting?” she asked her administrative assistant.

“It has been pretty quiet out here,” he replied. “The only thing has been the constant flow of memos going into your office. I was thinking of taking lunch. Do you need me for anything in the next hour?”

“No, go on enjoy your lunch. I will sort through the memos. Don’t be surprised if it is a busy afternoon,” she said as she stepped into her office.

There flying above her oak desk were about thirty memos. They were flying in a circular pattern just high enough for her to reach them while sitting without them bumping into her head. Most high ranking officials had their assistant read all their memos.

Melvin was assigned to her by Fudge a year ago. She didn’t trust that pompous prat of a Minister. He probably wanted Melvin to spy on her. She decided right then that she would read all the memos and then give him work that she deemed safe for him to handle. It may have complicated her life, but it kept Fudge out of the loop.

In this case she wasn’t being paranoid. Fudge confronted her about her change of memo reading policy one month after Melvin started working for her.

Sitting in her leather chair, she reached up and grabbed a random memo. A quick glance showed that it was something that Melvin could attend to after his lunch. She wrote a note to Melvin on the memo and sent it out to his desk. She grabbed another memo and repeated the same procedure. Memo after memo was grabbed out of the air and sorted either to Melvin or to be handled only by her.

There were only about three memos left when she grabbed a peculiar one. It was from Gregory Bright in maintenance requesting that she send a request to have her windows changed this afternoon. She quickly burnt the memo. Something must have happened in the Ministry to cause him to contact her. It was an advantage of getting him and Reg in the Order. It was not unusual for high ranking officials to call on maintenance workers on a daily basis to change their office. Gregory was the worker for changing the windows and Reg changed the climate of the office.

She scratched out a memo to the maintenance department for a change of her windows, and sent it flying out of her office. She just hoped that whatever caused Gregory to write this note could wait until he was assigned to come here.

The afternoon passed slowly waiting for Gregory Bright to show up. Melvin was busy writing Owls and handling the mundane paper work that being in a position like this created. Amelia kept looking up waiting for something to happen, but it seemed the only thing that happened was her patience becoming frazzled.

She looked down at the document she had been reviewing it was the new proposed procedure for transporting prisoners to Azkaban. It had barely been over two months since the two incidents of prisoners disappearing had occurred. The people that Fudge had appointed to draw up a new procedure must have spent all that time writing it. It was over two hundred pages long. There were sections that were so confusing that she had to read them over three times, before concluding they actually said nothing in 10,000 words.

She turned looked down at page number eighty-four. One hundred and sixteen pages to go, and all she wanted to do is blast the cursed document with her wand. She couldn’t do that. If she didn’t produce reasons not to pass the procedure in the Wizengamot, then Fudge would force it through.

She smiled to herself. If this gets passed in the Wizengamot, she will make the useless bureaucrats who wrote this drivel train everyone. That might cause a two month backlog in transferring prisoners to Azkaban, but she wouldn’t be wasting her time or anyone from her department trying to teach people this tripe.

“Madam Bones, I am going home,” said Melvin from the doorway to the waiting area.

Amelia looked up at the clock on the wall and saw that it was four-thirty. Her entire afternoon had passed waiting for Gregory Bright. “Yes, Melvin, and have a good night.”

Amelia looked back down at the document, and tried to concentrate on it again. Whether she liked it or not, she had to read it. Fudge had tried to put his pureblood supremacy rubbish in the back pages of legislation before.

“Ahem!”

Amelia looked up to see Gregory Bright staring at her. He was leaning against the door jamb to her office, as relaxed as if it was his own house. “Interesting reading?” he asked her.

“Hardly, have you come the change the windows?”

“Yes, I have. What do you want? I can create any type of view in your windows, with barely a thought. I still have trouble with third year stuff, like casting Silencing Charms.”

Amelia caught onto his hint. As Gregory walked towards the first window on his right, she picked up her wand and cast a Silencing Charm on the Room.

“You can speak freely now. No one will hear you,” she announced to him. “While you are here could you give me a view of the Cliffs of Dover?”

“Do you want the perspectives to be as though you are looking at them from the channel?”

“Yes, that would be nice.” Amelia leaned back in her chair and watched Gregory Bright simply waved his wand and created the most beautiful and realistic image on her panel that was designated as a window. Her office was like the rest of the Ministry deep underground. No one’s office had actual windows. They all had panels set in window frames.

“How is that? Do you like the perspective of looking from sea level, or would you prefer to look at it as though you are riding on a broom?”

“Sea level is good. I am afraid of heights.”

“I am glad you like it. What should I do with the other window?”

“It doesn’t matter,” she said curtly.

Gregory sighed. “I always check Madam Bones, because some people are very picky about their windows. I was down in Bartemius Crouch’s office today. He wanted one window to look like a scene from Bulgaria and the other a scene from southern France.

“I had changed the one to his satisfaction, when suddenly his House Elf pops into his office. That poor thing was nearly screaming through her tears. It kept saying ‘I lost him, Master. I lost him, Master. I lost Master.’

“Bartemius went into a terrible temper and forbid the Elf from saying anything more, before storming out of the office. The House Elf shouted to him that she could take him to Master. Bartemius ran back into the office and gave the House Elf clothes before leaving.

“Poor thing sat down and stared to wail. It didn’t know what to do, so I decided to send it to Hogwarts. If Macnair got his hands on it, he would have executed it.”

Bright had changed the second window to a beach scene. It wasn’t in the channel. It looked more like Scotland, and it was vaguely familiar to her, but she just couldn’t place it. Turning her full attention to his story, she was confused why he would think what happened between Bartemius Crouch and his House Elf would be important.

“Why was that incident so important?”

“Gregory Bright looked at her with a penetrating gaze. “Do you know much about Bartemius’ family?”

“Bartemius doesn’t have a family.”

“Bartemius shouldn’t have a family. His Death Eater son supposedly died in Azkaban. His wife died shortly after that and was buried immediately. Quite an interesting coincidence that his wife, who was devastated by her spoiled brat of a son rotting in Azkaban, died shortly after visiting him with Bartemius. To top that coincidence off, the son died at about the same time, even though he was still healthy and young. The Dementors bury the dead in Azkaban. They are blind. To them one dead body looks the same as any other dead body.”

“What are you driving at and how do you know all this about the Crouchs?”

“What I am driving at is Bartemius Crouch Jr. isn’t dead in Azkaban. The House Elf said she lost him then she said she lost Master. A House Elf will only call members of their family Master. The only ‘him’, besides Bartemius Sr., that could also be called Master is his son. It is the only thing that makes sense.”

“Stop,” she demanded. “You can’t seriously believe that Barty Crouch broke his son out of Azkaban; the same Barty Crouch that sent his son to Azkaban for life. That doesn’t make sense.”

“Barty Crouch had to maintain his reputation as a hard-nosed prosecutor. His wife fell ill when it was revealed that her son was a Death Eater. She was dying of grief. He went and retrieved his son and left his wife in his place. It was too much of a coincidence that she died here and was buried without anyone seeing the body and their son died in Azkaban just a day earlier

“After what Bellatrix, the LeStrange brothers, and Barty Junior did to Frank and Alice, it would have been within the rights of the Ministry to have them kissed by a Dementor. It wasn’t for their sterling reputation. They were known strong supporters of — of you-know-who. They were wanted by the Aurors and were all suspected in at least three different murders and tortures. Why were they not given the Dementor’s kiss?”

“Gregory, this is all pure speculation. You have no proof of any of this.” She was concerned over this obvious obsession of his with the Crouches.

He smiled at her and looked at the second widow; the one with the seashore scene that she couldn’t remember where she saw it before.

“Do you remember that?” he said pointing at the picture.

“It seems vaguely familiar, but I can’t tell you why?”

“You were probably focused on something else. That is the view from Frank and Alice Longbottom’s holiday house in Scotland. They loved it up there. They used to go there to get away from it all. It was isolated. They were so isolated that when Bellatrix and company attacked them; no one would have been able to hear them scream. Three days they were tortured. They went there for the weekend and left little Neville with Augusta. They left notification of where they could be found with the Head of Magical Law Enforcement. The location would have been in that outer office, where his son worked. No one could have found them without that information. Of course that never came out in the trial, because there never was a trial.”

He turned and looked at her his eyes were red and puffy. As he had told her about the Longbottoms’ torture, his voice had become thick with emotion. “Alice was my cousin. She was ten years younger than me. She didn’t deserve that. I have been keeping a watch on the Crouches and the Lestrange connections ever since. If you think that I am barmy, well you can think that. I am sure that Bartemius’ son and wife didn’t die at nearly the same time. That House Elf would have never popped into Barty’s office unless it was something major. The only thing that the House Elf could have been talking about was Barty Crouch Jr. The slime is alive and now he is loose.”

Amelia stared at Gregory Bright. He didn’t have the appearance of a liar. She almost believed everything he said. However, it was a fantastic tale that would be hard to prove unless they could capture the son.

“I cannot launch an official investigation on what you just told me. We will pass it onto the Order as soon as possible. I am not even sure what they will think about what you just said. The only thing I can do is keep a personal eye on Barty Crouch and look to see if he is acting strange or taking excessive time off. If everything seems normal there may not be anything we can do. Gregory, please be careful. If you publicly accuse Barty Crouch of any of these accusations he will have you roasted in the Wizengamot. There will be nothing I can do to stop him.”

The maintenance worker stared at her. He looked too full of emotion to speak for several seconds.

“Thank you for listening and not throwing me out on my ear. I realize that most people will think I am barmy, but you at least are considering the possibility. Have a good night, Madam Bones,” he said with a quick nod of his head.

Amelia cancelled the Silencing Charm and sat back in her chair. She stared at the second picture. She now recognized the scene. The view from Longbottom’s cottage porch was amazing. The scene of their torture was the total opposite. The Auror Department went searching for them when they didn’t come to work on Monday. When they checked in the file drawer, the parchment with their location was gone. Fifteen Aurors Apparated to Frank’s family Manor. They found where they had been and Apparated there to find Bellatrix, Rodolphus, Rabastan Lestrange, and Barty Crouch Junior torturing them. They lost two Aurors in the battle and seven more were put into St. Mungos. People had been so outraged that they called for a trial and the Kiss to be delivered.

Amelia broke from her thoughts and waved her wand over her desk. Everything was neatly stacked and with another wave of her wand a Security Charm was cast. She needed to go home and relax. Tomorrow she will start watching Barty Crouch and digging deeper into the coincidences that Gregory spoke about.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The Atrium of the Ministry was rather empty this morning. Amelia was waiting for Barty Crouch. He was normally here by 7:00 AM. It was now 7:10 AM and he was late. If Barty Crouch was anything, he was punctual. She didn’t know how many times he reprimanded someone in his department for being late when they showed up for a meeting only five minutes early.

She was stuck in a small dilemma. She would look suspicious if she waited here any longer for Barty to arrive. She had been here for nearly twenty minutes. It doesn’t really take that long to stand and clean a monocle or to take in the fountain of Magical Brethren without people becoming suspicious. She had no choice but to go to her office. Maybe later on today, she will stop by Barty’s office and see him. She just needed to find a reasonable excuse to do so, or Barty would become suspicious.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny stared at her reflection in the mirror. Nothing seemed to look right this morning. It was frustrating her to the point where she didn’t want to go with Harry to meet Horace Slughorn. The Headmaster had insisted that they meet him as a couple. She didn’t have any delusions as to why he wanted this. Remus and Sirius told them about Horace Slughorn and his obsession with top students with promise of becoming someone important in the magical world. Harry’s Mum was one of his favorites. Ginny had seen the look in people’s eyes that had known his parents when they saw her and Harry for the first time. Albus must have wanted to try to have Slughorn experience the same Déjà vu.

“I don’t understand how anyone can mistake me for her,” she shouted at her mirror. A suddenly wave of frustration had filled her up and she was near to crying. It took all of her concentration, as she squeezed her eyes closed, to keep the tears from smearing her makeup.

A feeling of warmth filled her up. She knew he was there before he slid his arms around her waist. His feeling of admiration and love quickly chased away her feeling of inadequacy. He placed his head on her shoulder and gently kissed her cheek. He didn’t say anything for a minute.

“You don’t look like my Mum, and I am glad. After all she is my Mum and that would make her an old woman. You are young and beautiful.”

Ginny smiled at his comment. Opening her eyes, she stared in the mirror. He was staring at her reflection.

“Thank you, I am sorry I am such a mess. I always heard my Mum talking about how wonderful it was to be a mother. I never thought about everything that is happening to me.”

“Did you Owl her to tell about what you have been feeling?”

“Yes, she told me that the morning sickness isn’t unusual. She said it is different with every pregnancy. She had it with Bill, Percy, and Ron. She also warned me about mood swings. The mood swings were worse with the children that she also had morning sickness. She wrote that I just need to remember that my body is changing and all these things will go away.”

Ginny looked down and saw that Harry had his hands clasped across her abdomen right over their baby. A sudden wave of emotion came over her. They were a family. She bit her lip to keep from crying.

“No tears Ginny,” said Harry. “We need to meet Slughorn in ten minutes.”

She spun in his arms and stared directly into his eyes. “We are a family, Harry. You, I, and our baby together are a family. Our own family, I love you!” She crushed her lips to his.

Harry returned the kiss but he seemed to be rather subdued compared to the feelings that she was sensing from him. He pulled away from her and stared in her eyes.

“We are now a family, and we will always be a family, Ginny,” he whispered to her. “However, can we continue this later? We need to meet this Slughorn in five minutes.”

As quickly as the last wave of emotions had filled her up, it was gone. She smiled at her understanding husband. “Yeah, let’s go meet Mr. Slughorn.”

They started to leave their living quarters. She almost started to giggle as she was sure she heard Harry speak to himself.

“Don’t forget to continue this later.”

They entered the Headmaster’s office and there sat a large man in expensive robes. He was so large that he looked to be wedged into the chair he was sitting. It was a good thing, or he might have fallen out of it when they entered. He had gone pale and stared at them. His gaze was fixed mostly on her.

It annoyed her that so many people thought she looked exactly like Lily Potter. Her hair was different shade of red, their eyes were strikingly different, and Lily Potter’s face and complexion was different. It always puzzled her; what it was that made people think she looked like Lily Evans.

“Horace Slughorn, I would like to introduce to you Ginny and Harry Potter,” said Albus Dumbledore.

A feeling overwhelmed her from this rotund man. It was guilt. The feeling was so strong and crushing that it had to be more than his mistaking her for Harry’s Mum. He pushed himself up from his chair and extended his hand to Harry first, then to her. She noticed that his feeling of guilt was increased when he shook Harry’s hand, rather than when he shook her hand.

“My goodness, I never expected you would look like this,” he said. “Albus told me that you are soul bonded, but he never told me you were so mature looking.”

“It is the soul bond,” said Harry. “Its formation made us adults by magical law. What no one knew it wasn’t just an adult in word but physically too. It took us by surprise when it happened.”

“How long did it take?” asked Slughorn.

“About eighteen hours,” she said.

“The transformation must have been strange and severe. How old were you?”

Ginny smiled his emotions had completely changed to fascination. “I was ten, and Harry was eleven. We experienced body aches and pains. It wasn’t extraordinarily painful.”

“Fascinating” he nearly gasped. “It has been hundreds of years since anyone had formed a soul bond.”

“Seventeen hundred years to be precise,” said Harry. “None had ever been formed between two people as young as we were. There had been no record of the physical transformation occurring to the extent of ours.

“I know you may have many more questions about our soul bond. I need to know will you help me stop my mother and father’s murderer and his army of dark wizards?”

Ginny could feel Slughorn’s emotions once again take a swing and it was as severe of a swing as she was experiencing with her pregnancy. She almost laughed at the realization that even though she was physically pregnant; he was the one that looked it.

“I don’t think I can help you with this war, Harry,” Slughorn replied weakly.

“Horace, you knew Tom better than anyone when he was at school here. Why would he be looking for you?” said Albus Dumbledore.

Ginny sat back in her chair and listened as Harry and Albus spoke with Slughorn. She couldn’t infiltrate his mind and know what he was thinking, but she could feel his emotions clearly. It became strange that he hated to have Albus or Harry to use the name Voldemort, but his biggest spike of fear was when they talked about Tom as one of his favorite students. It wasn’t remorse that he befriended a monster in making. It was fear of that monster.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia was looking over the legislation that Fudge had drawn up, when the person in charge of Ministry Security came into her office. He had a look of fear on his face.

“Madam Bones, we have an incident,” he whispered.

“What is it?” she nearly shouted to him. She had visions of an attack on the Ministry.

“It is the Department of Mysteries,” he stammered. “Someone broke into the Hall of Prophecies.”

“Do you have them?”

“You need to see this. I don’t know how to handle this,” he said nervously. He kept looking over his shoulder at Melvin.

“Let’s go,” she said the Head of Ministry Security, in a second she was striding past Melvin. “I must go out. I will be back soon,” she told her assistant.

They walked past people without saying anything. Even while standing alone in the lifts, they didn’t speak. The possibilities of what had happened were running through her mind. It didn’t sound like anything good was coming from this. She had never heard of anyone trying to get into the hall of prophecies before. She had a good guess what prophecy they were going in there for. She thought of sending Albus an Owl telling him about this, but that would have been too obvious.

The lifts opened and they continued down a set of stairs to the Department of Mysteries entrance. Several Unspeakables were waiting for her. They held true to their title. No one spoke to her. They led her through the area with the rotating doors to the Hall of Prophecies.

The thought of all these prophecies made her skin crawl. She hated the thought that your life was controlled by what was held inside of these orbs. They took several turns. The size of this place shocked her. She never realized that there had been so many prophecies made. The sound of a man moaning and babbling could be heard in front of them.

She was led to a circle of Unspeakables. They obviously were surrounding the man on the ground. As she approached, a man who looked in control of the situation stepped away from the circle on Unspeakables.

“Madam Bones, I am pleased you came. This is a most awkward situation we have here.”

“What exactly is the situation we have here?” she snapped. Her irritation at being told nothing up to this point got the best of her.

The Unspeakable stepped back and waved his arm at the man on the ground. “He tried to remove a prophecy that was not made about him or by him. The prophecies have a Security Charm on them that anyone who does this will be cursed.”

Amelia never expected the sight before her. There on the ground twitching, mumbling, drooling was Barty Crouch Sr. She looked up at the dust covered orbs. There was one that the dust had been disturbed. Walking over to it, her fears were confirmed. Below the orb names of Harry Potter, Voldemort, and Sybil Trelawney were written.

Back to index


Chapter 22: Duels

Author's Notes: Harry and Ginny's presence at Hogwarts start to make a difference in the students ability. His presence also influences someone to divulge something they wouldn't.


“Barty Crouch do something illegal. You must be barkin’.” scoffed Alastor Moody. “That man has never broken a law in his life.”

Harry stared at the grizzled old Auror. He was laughing at what Madam Bones just told everyone. She was staring at him red-faced and a small vein throbbed in her temple. It appeared to Harry that people rarely tell her that she was “barkin’” to her face. There had been a hastily called meeting in the Headmaster’s office this evening. Madam Bones had sent a Patronus to Dumbledore saying she needed to discuss something important.

The story she just finished telling everyone seemed amazing to Harry. He had no idea who Barty Crouch Sr. and Jr. were, but it seemed a bit extreme to go to the measures he had for his son; particularly, since his son was a Death Eater.

“Why would Barty go into the Department of Mysteries and try to take a prophecy that wasn’t his to touch?” responded Madam Bones. “He would have known about the curses on the Prophecies. He was obviously under the influence of the Imperious Curse.”

“That doesn’t mean it was his son, who died at Azkaban years ago,” said Moody.

“If it wasn’t Barty Junior, then who would have gotten close enough to Barty to Imperious him. Barty has never been very approachable. After everything that Gregory Bright told me, it just fits. Barty Crouch Jr. is alive and has gone back to his Master.”

“Codswallop,” spat Moody.

“Alastor, please calm down,” said Albus Dumbledore quietly. “Amelia, you seem to be putting a great deal of faith in Gregory Bright’s version of what happened with Barty Crouch Jr.”

“I didn’t believe it at first, but after I thought about it. It started to make sense. Particularly concerning what Crouch’s House Elf said. The very next day Barty Crouch is found down in the Department of Mysteries trying to take a prophecy off a shelf. I questioned people who saw him coming into the Ministry and they all said he was acting strangely. He was distant and seemed confused and uncertain. Those are all traits of someone under the Imperious Curse.”

“If what you are telling us is true. It certainly is important, but I am not sure if that changes anything we are planning at this time,” the Headmaster said quietly. “I was sure that Voldemort would try to obtain the prophecy. I am sorry that Barty suffered a curse that left him mentally incapacitated. I cannot see this changing any of our plans at the present time.”

Madam Bones seemed to be slightly affronted at his comments.

“Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Amelia. Are there areas in the Ministry that Barty Jr. could still access?”

“No, even if he tried using his father’s wand, which we still haven’t found. All high security areas are locked out to him. We have deleted his wand from having access.”

“Thank you Amelia,” said the Headmaster with a sigh. He looked very old and tired as he stared directly at Harry.

“Is everything all right, Headmaster?” asked Ginny.

“It seems our possible allies are growing fewer every day. We will continue to monitor the Death Eater activities as we have. Do you have anything to add, Harry?”

Harry was caught a bit off guard by his question. “No, I am not even sure who you are talking about. This Barty Jr. Is he very dangerous?”

“He was involved with the torture of the Longbottoms,” stated Madam Bones. “We have no record of any Death Eater activity before that, but I doubt we would find any. He was working for his father, while Barty Sr. was the Head of Magical Law Enforcement. He had access to all the files. He was probably a spy for the Death Eaters.”

“Barty Crouch Jr. was an excellent student here at Hogwarts. He finished with ten NEWTs,” said the Headmaster. “If we are finished talking about the incident in Department of Mysteries and the Crouch’s, then I would like to move on. Alastor, how has the tracking of Death Eaters been going?”

“I feel we have at least three of their main meeting places picked out. They don’t seem to have changed their tactics after we found Professor Slughorn. Should we look for Barty Jr.?”

“I don’t think he will come out into the public for quite some time,” said Remus Lupin. “It isn’t the smart thing to do. It would be to Voldemort’s advantage to keep Barty hidden until it doesn’t matter anymore.”

“And when would that be?” asked Moody.

“When they take over the Ministry,” replied Remus nonchalantly.

Amelia Bones and Alastor Moody turned and stared at Remus Lupin.

“The Ministry is ready to fall,” he said in response to their shocked expressions. “We all know it is just a matter of time before Voldemort tries to take it over. I believe it will be either the Ministry or Hogwarts he tries to overthrow first. The Ministry is full of his followers and sympathizers. It would be the easiest to overthrow. I predict he will hit there first.”

“He may be out in the public, but I doubt if little Barty would appear without the assistance of Polyjuice,” said Sirius. “If what Madam Bones has said is true, than he was using Polyjuice on a regular basis to pretend he was his mother.”

“What we need is a way to regulate the brewing of Polyjuice,” said Madam Bones. “I tried to pass legislation to control the brewing of Polyjuice, but Barty tabled it without explanation.”

“We Aurors use it too,” stated Moody.

“I know they use it, but I wanted to keep it out of the hands of the Death Eaters,” said Madam Bones.

“That would certainly help,” said Alastor. “How could you do that? The ingredients are used in many other Potions. Telling people they shouldn’t do something won’t stop them.”

“Bicorn Horn,” stated Madam Bones. “It is primarily used for Polyjuice. It has uses for other exotic Potions, but nothing critical for medicines. That is all wishful thinking. There is no possibility of getting legislation passed with the present Ministry,” she sighed.

“I need to go home. Are we done here?” she asked the Headmaster. She was looking very tired and old.

“Yes, I believe so. Is there anything else we need to discuss before the Order meeting this weekend?”

“Yes, be sure to bring the item you want turned into a Portkey with you,” said Harry.

“I will do that. Have you practiced the spell enough to make Portkeys?” she asked him.

“He is very proficient at it,” stated Sirius.

“Very well, I shall see you all on Saturday evening.” Madam Bones stood up and left the room.

“I’ll be over at Headquarters in about an hour,” Sirius said to Alastor, a few minutes after Madam Bones left.

The old Auror smiled at Sirius. “You won’t be going out as Padfoot for a few weeks.”

Sirius leaned forward in his chair and stared at him. “Why is that? I can move about unnoticed as Padfoot.”

“You have been seen by most of the Death Eaters we are tracking,” said Professor McGonagall. “They might start wondering why they keep seeing the same dog every place they go. I will be going out for the next two weeks as a cat.”

Sirius looked at the Transfiguration Professor and started laughing. “You certainly are full of surprises, Minnie.”

Everyone in the room stared at Sirius at what he just said to Professor McGonagall. She just smiled cordially at him.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron Weasley was walking from the Charms classroom to the library. Hermione was chattering away beside him about ramifications of the theory pertaining to some spell he had forgotten about already. When she was this excited about an opportunity to research and learn something new, she looked so cute. Seamus and Dean always made excuses to leave when Hermione gets wound up like this, but Ron didn’t mind being around her. He just needed to remember what it was she was talking about.

“…and precise wand movement may not be that critical, if I am correct about this theory. This is so exciting, isn’t it Ron?” she asked him practically bubbling with excitement.

Ron stared at her for a second. He was caught up in the sparkle in her eyes. She always complained about how she hated her dull boring brown eyes. He thought they were so beautiful, almost like Honeydukes best chocolate.

“I think all your ideas are stupid, Mudblood.”

Ron stopped and reached for his wand. He wanted to try out a few new spells he learned at the last advanced training session. He felt Hermione’s hand on his wrist. Her hand touching the skin of his wrist made his arm breakout in gooseflesh. He didn’t pull his wand because she had stopped him. He wasn’t afraid of Malfoy or his two goons, Crabbe and Goyle.

Malfoy was standing at the end of the hallway. It was the most direct path from the Charms classroom to the library. If Malfoy had wanted to set a trap for them this was the perfect place and time.

Bill was teaching seventh years. Harry and Ginny were teaching first years and Remus and Sirius would be helping those two with their classes. Professor McGonagall was teaching at this time. There would be no teachers helping them.

“If my ideas are so stupid Malfoy, why am I the top student in all the classes? Even the ones with you and your Slytherin buddies,” responded Hermione.

“How dare you talk to me like that? I am your superior,” he shouted back at her.

Something was bothering Ron. Malfoy was acting a little too brave. He had always been arrogant, but he was really pushing the limits right now. If there was one thing that Malfoy always did was ensure he could win any fight. Ron slowly stepped away from Hermione and turned to look behind him.

“Hello Blaise, Pansy,” Ron said to the two Slytherins standing in the hallway behind them. They must have been hiding somewhere waiting for them. This was a definite ambush. When turning Ron had moved enough to see Hermione’s face out of the corner of his eye, her expression had just become cold and calculating. He knew from experience that she was already starting to think about what spells she would be using.

“You should reconsider you little plan Malfoy,” said Hermione. Her expression hardened since realizing that this was a setup.

“Why should I do that,” he said, while drawing his wand.

“It would be really embarrassing to lose to a blood traitor and a Mublood, when you out number us two to one.”

“That is exactly why I won’t cancel this little plan of mine. It is going to work out perfectly. We will curse you two so bad that no one will recognize you and then set you free in Hogsmeade. By the time people finally figure out that you are not dead, you will wish you had died.”

“Those are a lot of bold words for someone who refuses to duel in class. Are you afraid of being embarrassed?” she taunted him.

“I have no need for Defense against the Dark Arts,” said Malfoy haughtily. “I have people far superior to your brother and Potter teaching me.”

“Who might that be?” asked Ron. “Your future master, or are you already a Death Eater?”

“What I am is superior to you, Blood Traitor.”

Ron almost ignored what Draco had just called him he was watching Pansy and Blaise. Those two worried him more than Draco. They were ruthless and he bet they even enjoyed inflicting pain on people. He glanced at Hermione to see what she was doing while watching the two behind them.

Hermione turned to make eye contact with him. He could see that she was confident. They had been taught in their advanced Defense classes how best to handle these situations. They had actually talked about this situation. Ron had already decided to Hex Pansy first with as strong of a Repulso Hex as possible. Hopefully, she will get pushed into Blaise and he can take him out before he recovers. He was sure that Hermione would take out Draco before neutralizing Crabbe and Goyle. Those two oafs were almost useless with a wand.

“What is going on here?” squeaked the tiny voice of Professor Flitwick.

Ron noticed Blaise and Pansy put their wands away. He assumed Draco had done the same.

“I hope you weren’t planning on any illegal duels in the halls. You all would end up in detention or expelled.” The Professor said, as forcefully as his tiny little voice would allow him to sound. “You can face each other this Saturday at the Dueling club if you feel the need to prove your prowess with a wand. Now run along everyone.”

Ron turned and looked at Draco. “This Saturday then at the Dueling Club?” he asked.

“Yeah, Weaslebee, I will see you there.” Draco sneered at Ron and walked away. Pansy and Blaise ran past Ron and Hermione to fall in step with Draco.

“Thank you Professor Flitwick for coming along,” Hermione said to the Professor.

“I am sure you two could take them,” he said dismissively. “Do be careful this Saturday. You two know that Dark Curses are not allowed, but I don’t know if they care.”

Ron smiled at his Charms Professor. “Thank you. We will keep that in mind.”

“Good, do that Mr. Weasley. Now don’t you two have some studying to do?”

“Yes, Professor we do. We need to get to the Library,” said Hermione. She grabbed Ron’s hand and pulled him towards the Library.

Ten minutes later they were standing between two large bookshelves searching for books so Hermione could do her research. Ron pulled his wand and waved it both directions while silently casting a Silencing Charm.

“We can talk freely,” he said to Hermione’s puzzled expression. “What curse were you going to cast at that junior Death Eater?”

Hermione’s surprised expression melted away to a smile. “Did you cast a Silencing Charm?” she whispered.

“Yeah, I didn’t want anyone hearing our conversation.”

“I was going to use a Petrificus Totalis first on Malfoy then Crabbe and Goyle. I was hoping that they would fall on top of that foul git.”

Ron laughed at the thought of Malfoy crushed under the weight of his two goons. “That would be rather comical. I was going to use Repulso against Parkinson hoping it would push her into Zabini. I think I could have disarmed them both before they recovered.”

“That sounds like a good plan. You are very good at using the Expelliarmus Charm,” she complimented him.

Ron smiled at her. His face was getting a little warm for some reason.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry had been silent as he and Ginny walked back to their quarters. He knew that Ginny would be pressuring him for an answer as soon as they entered the confines of their sitting room. He had a plan formulated in his mind, but he wanted Ginny’s opinion first before talking to Sirius, Remus, and Bill.

Harry opened the door to their sitting room. He stepped aside for his wife before closing the door. He smiled at her as she took a seat and stared at him. She crossed her legs and leaned back against the chair back.

“What is on your mind, love?” She asked him.

“I am thinking about doing what Madam Bones suggested,” he said to her rather cryptically. The Head of the Magical Law Enforcement had suggested several things. He stared at her as she sorted through his thoughts and what Amelia had said earlier.

Ginny’s eyes widened suddenly. “You are planning on buying up all the Bicorn Horn available.”

“I want to investigate the possibility of doing that. If we do it silently, we might be able to control who has the ability of making Polyjuice Potion. I need to contact Grins and see what the Goblins know about the world wide supply of Bicorn Horn. I also want to consult the older members of the group, before proceeding with this plan.”

Ginny stared blankly into space and played with the seam on the chair’s arm with her right index finger and thumb. She didn’t say anything for several minutes. “There are several methods of changing a person’s appearance without the use of Polyjuice.”

“None of them are as complete and many of the spells will fade without an anchor on the person,” he replied to her.

“I think you should ask Grins about the feasibility of your plan. Hopefully, we can afford it,” she said sardonically.

“If not, I am sure you can find a good job to support us,” he said. He sat down to write a letter to Grins Gringotts on the official Potter stationary ignoring the small pillow that hit him on the back.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore returned to his office after breakfast Saturday morning. The dueling club was going to commence in the great hall in a few minutes. He wanted to talk to Horace about watching it with him. Horace was never that good at dueling, but he should appreciate the skills that many of the students had obtained after barely two months of dueling.

He also thought that seeing Harry and Ginny interacting with the other students might make him think about Lily and her death. All he needed was to get Horace’s resistance to crack just a little and he would be able to convince him to reveal the secret that he has been guarding so intently.

“I hope you have had an enjoyable breakfast, Horace,” Albus said to his guest. Horace was sitting in his large leather chair wearing a silk dressing robes and nibbling on his toast, poached eggs, and caviar.

He sipped his tea before answering. “It was a particularly enjoyable experience. I never expected you to have such high quality caviar here at Hogwarts. Certainly, you are not giving such delicacies to the students.”

“No, Horace, I doubt if many students would like roe for breakfast. They prefer kippers. I only have a small amount of caviar. It was a gift from the Headmaster of Durmstrang, Igor Karkarof.”

Horace looked up at him and blanched. “Karkarof is the Headmaster at Durmstrang?”

“He testified against his former Death Eater friends. He said he was coerced into joining their ranks. The Ministry saw fit to suspend his sentence as long as he stays out of trouble.

“I have been communicating with him and the Headmistress of Beauxbaton’s. We are thinking about starting up the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts next year.”

“You are going to have Karkarof here inside of these walls?” spluttered Horace.

“You looked concerned Horace.”

“No one ever leaves his ranks and lives, Albus. I don’t trust him.”

“There is no reason for concern Horace. We are not planning on having the tournament until next year. I was wondering, if you would like to go to the great hall and watch the dueling club. It would be a good opportunity to watch for the next great dueling champion.” Albus watched with interest to see if Horace would take the bait. It was obvious that he wanted Horace to go to the competition. He just hoped he didn’t suspect why.

Horace thought the suggestion over for a few minutes before smiling at Albus. “I think that might be interesting. Is there anyone in particular you think I would find interesting?”

“I think there are several students that you would find interesting.”

Horace pushed up from the chair. He and the chair groaned from the shifting of his massive body. He stood up to Banish the crumbs from this morning’s toast from his robes. “I can’t go Albus. If any of the Death Eaters’ children see me they will know I am here.”

“I wasn’t going to announce you. All the students are too young to remember you.”

Horace sat down with a worried expression on his face. “No, I will stay here.”

“I would like you to come to the Order meeting tonight.”

Horace looked at him with a worried expression on his face. He looked as old as wrinkles formed on his forehead. “I will think about it.” He shifted heavily in the chair. “I know you think I have information that may help you. I assure you that anything that I may know about Tom would be insignificant and wouldn’t be of any use.”

“But, you do know something about him. He did confide in you something important to him. We cannot always judge what others might deem important,” Albus said in reply to Horace’s comment.

“If I tell you everything that I know about him, will you send me to that secure estate in Spain?” asked Horace.

“If you give us the memories that you feel might help us in the fight against Tom, I will allow the Potters to view them. If they are helpful, Harry or Ginny can take you to that estate. I cannot send you there nor retrieve you; only the Potters can do that.”

Horace stared at him. He had a crooked smile on his face. “You have to consult with them on everything, don’t you? That must irritate you something fierce. You were always the one for total control,” Horace nearly laughed at his comment.

“I admit that I always thought that my decisions were the best informed,” he sighed at the truth of his actual authority. “…but I have made too many mistakes because I wasn’t informed or was looking at things from the wrong perspective.

“To answer your question directly, it bothers me to lose control of everything around me. However, the final victory comes down to Harry and Ginny. It doesn’t matter what I do if they do not support my decisions.”

Horace stared at him for several seconds. Albus could almost see the thoughts tumble around in his mind without the need of Leglimency. He looked down at his robes then around the office and living quarters.
“If two young teenagers can get you to relinquish your total control of the fight against Voldemort, than it is quite possible they may be able to defeat him in the end. Those were two things that I always deemed to be impossibilities.”

Horace raised his wand to his temple. “You may need to get a couple of vials, Albus.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry watched as the great hall filled with excited students. There was a buzz of muffled conversation about today’s agenda. This was the first time the students from other houses were going to face each other in duels. They had hoped that they would be doing that last month, but it was deemed necessary to delay it for four weeks. They never planned on having this many students dueling. It took almost eight weeks for everyone to get three duels against their housemates. Anyone exhibiting a lack of control of their spell casting wasn’t permitted to duel today. Everyone who signed up for this club was able to duel today. No one had used any barred spells nor were any of the students so sporadic with the direction of their spells that they were deemed unsafe.

“Have you noticed that there are several students that aren’t in this club normally,” Ginny whispered to him.

“I noticed that,” said Bill from the other side of Ginny.

Ginny snapped her head around to see her brother standing there.

“I also noticed most of them are from Gryffindor and Slytherin,” stated Bill. “Is there something special planned today?”

“MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION?” The magically enhanced voice of Professor Flitwick echoed off the great hall’s ceiling and walls. He had his wand pointing at his larynx.

“WE ARE GOING TO USE ONLY ONE DUELING TABLE TODAY. I WILL PULL THE OPPONENTS NAMES OUT OF THE HAT WITH ALL THE NAMES IN THE SAME YEAR. THE TWO COMBATANTS SHALL PROCEDE QUICKLY TO THE TABLE. IF YOU ARE NOT THERE IN ONE MINUTE THAN WE SHALL CONSIDER THE DUEL A FORFEIT, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. THE TWO COMBATANTS WILL ONLY HAVE 60 SECONDS TO DEFEAT THEIR OPPONENT. IF NEITHER OPPONENT DEFEATS THE OTHER NO POINTS WILL BE AWARDED THEIR HOUSE. IF YOU DEFEAT YOUR OPPONENT, YOUR HOUSE WILL RECEIVE A POINT. IF YOU LOSE TO AN OPPONENT, ONE POINT WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR HOUSE.”

Professor Flitwick produced a pointy wizard’s hat and waved his wand around the brim. Harry watched as the hat filled with little slips of paper. The Professor reached in the hat and pulled a single slip of paper. When Harry looked at it from a distance it didn’t look as if there was any writing on it.

“DRACO MALFOY,” said the Professor. A cheer came out from the Slytherin crowd on the one side of the great hall. The Professor reached into the hat again and produced another slip of paper. Harry was sure this one was blank. “RONALD WEASLEY,” his amplified voice rang around the great hall. It was the Gryffindor’s turn to shout out their support.

Draco and Ron quickly jogged to the dueling platform. Harry could feel the tension from here. He had heard rumors that they almost got into a duel in the halls the other day. Supposedly Professor Flitwick showed up and stopped the duel. Maybe he just planned on having it in here, because the slips of papers he pulled out of the hat looked blank.

“DUELERS, YOU MAY BEGIN AT THE COUNT OF THREE,” announced Professor Flitwick.

“Prepare to lose Weasley,” said Draco with a sneer.

Ron just smiled at him. The lack of a reaction seemed to irritate Draco. The Slytherin gripped his wand tighter and readjusted his footing. Harry smiled at Ron. He had improved the most of the people taking the advanced defense sessions.

“ONE!”

Draco again readjusted his footing and moved, while Ron stood there calmly smiling at Draco.

“TWO!”

Harry smiled as Draco almost twitched and cast a spell. Ron looked so calm and ready.

“THREE!”

Draco shouted, “PETRIFIC….” His mouth was still moving but no sound was heard. The spell coming from his wand was weak and Ron was able to easily flick it away.

Ron had flicked his wand at the same time as Draco started his spell. He started using nonverbal spells two weeks ago and the Silencing Charm was one of few he had mastered.

Draco turned to say something to Professor Flitwick, but no sound came out of his mouth. Laughter could be heard from the Gryffindor side. Draco suddenly flipped upside down like a giant had grabbed his heel. His arms flung wildly around slamming into the floor.

“Repulso,” said Ron calmly.

Draco was pushed over the end of dueling table. He suddenly dropped like a rock onto the floor of the great hall.

“Finite,” said Ron. He was smiling as the sound of Draco’s whiney voice filled the great hall. He was crying like a little child.

“RON WEASLEY IS THE WINNER. GRYFFINDOR RECIEVES ONE HOUSE POINT. SLYTHERIN HOUSE LOSES ONE POINT,” Professor Flitwick announced to the great hall.

“Professor Flitwick, I protest that match,” shouted Professor Snape. “Weasley used a Silencing Charm.”

“Which is legal,” countered Professor Flitwick. “Mr. Weasley was able to cast spells without saying them. It was obvious he was the superior dueler.”

Harry had to concentrate to not laugh at Snape’s reaction. There was fury in his eyes but his face looked like it was made of stone as he glared at Harry then Ron. He picked up a whimpering Draco and pulled him back with the rest of the Slytherins .

For the next three hours he watched students dueling each other. He was pleased to see that none of the students in the advanced defense class had lost their duels. All the students seemed to have improved since the first of the year. It looked as if their plan to prepare the students for the possibility of war was working. He didn’t think any of them could face off with the inner circle of Voldemort’s Death Eaters, but their chances are much better now than just three months ago.

As they were placing the great hall back in place for lunch, he looked at Bill, Sirius, Remus, and Ginny and saw they were all pleased with the quality of the duels. The students were also excited because the duels were entertaining without anyone being permanently damaged. He also noticed that the students were cheering for the other houses, except Slytherin.

Just before the dueling session was to conclude, a second year boy sought out Harry. He had a message for Harry and Ginny to see the Headmaster in his office after the dueling club was finished. Looking over at her, he tried to think about meeting with Dumbledore. He saw her smile at him. She was able pick up his thoughts in the room filled with excited people. Their bond was growing stronger every day.

Thirty minutes later, Harry and Ginny reappeared from the Headmaster’s Pensieve. They had viewed four memories that Slughorn had given them to view. This was the final link to deciding how many Horcuxes Voldemort made.

“Did those memories give you what you want?” Professor Slughorn asked them.

“Did you get a chance to view them Headmaster?” Harry asked, before responding to Slughorn.

“Yes, I believe we finally have some answers to how many he made. Horace would like to go to your estate in Spain, Harry.”

“When would you like to leave?” Harry asked Slughorn.

“I can have my personal effects ready in about an hour,” said Horace Slughorn, as he pushed himself up and out of the leather chair.

Harry was taken aback by this request. He figured it would be the next day or in a couple days. He never thought it would be within the hour. He stared at Ginny.

“Sure we can take you to Spain, but it won’t be for about two hours,” Ginny said to Slughorn.

“We will be Apparating part of the way. So you will need to have all your things confined so Ginny and I can Apparate you and your belongings in one go.” Harry added.

“I must remind you two that you are needed at tonight’s meeting,” said Albus Dumbledore.

“We will be back before the meeting,” Ginny said, while giving the Headmaster a reassuring smile.

“Are you two planning on Apparating me to Spain? That would be incredible,” said Slughorn. The excitement of being involved with something that fantastic showed in his voice.

“No, we won’t be Apparating all the way to Spain,” said Harry. “We will meet you back here in two hours.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry and Ginny walked slowly to the main gate of Hogwarts. Horace Slughorn was wearing a large heavy cloak to cover his face. He looked like someone had thrown a robe over a boulder. He moved about as fast.

They had left the Headmaster’s office, and they told Sirius, Remus, and Bill about the memory and taking Slughorn to Spain. They discussed if Harry and Ginny needed any assistance taking Slughorn to Spain. Everyone thought they would safe once they left Hogwarts. They could Apparate directly to the manor house in Britain then use the transportation vault to go to Spain. They should be safe.

They finally reached the gate after what seemed like an hour of walking. Harry was starting to wonder if they should have left an hour ago. He wanted time to discuss this trip before taking it. If they continue on at this rate Ginny and he may not be back in time for tonight’s Order meeting.

“We have made it. I always hated that long walk from the castle,” wheezed Slughorn. “Where are we off to now?”

“Take my arm,” Harry said while offering him his arm. He lifted his other arm for Ginny to take.

“You are going to take all of us at one time?” questioned Slughorn. “That would take a very powerful wizard.”

“Don’t worry, Harry can do this,” said Ginny with a smile.

“We go on three,” said Harry. “One, two, three.”

The Apparation was even more constricting than he had ever experienced before. Slughorn’s mass was probably equivalent to three normal people, and add the large trunk that Ginny was carrying, he was Apparating six people. His manor appeared in front of him. The sound of the angry sea breaking against the rocky shore covered the pop of Apparation. The cold November wind cut through their clothing.

“Merlin’s beard,” exclaimed Slughorn this can’t be Spain.

“We are at the Potter manor in Britain,” Harry told him. “We need to go inside to access transportation to Spain.”

They entered the manor. Harry had to stop and wait for Slughorn. He was gaping at the furnishings.

“I never knew the Potters owned an estate like this. This is just incredible,” he gushed to Harry.

“Yeah, it is impressive, but if we don’t continue on Ginny and I will never make back to the meeting tonight.”

“Yes, yes, you must not miss the meeting.” Slughorn said dismissively. He stared at everything as he followed them. “Is this place in Spain furnished like this marvelous house?”

“They are furnished according to local customs,” replied Ginny.

The progress down to the lowest level of the manor was slow. Again Horace Slughorn slowed them down.

Ten minutes later they were entering the transportation vault. Harry closed the door.

“What is this?” He said staring around him.

Harry didn’t answer him directly. “Potter Manor, Spain.”

There was a slight vibration as they were transported to Spain. Ginny opened the door this time. The room outside of the door was cut sandstone, instead of the granite in England.

“Welcome to Spain, Professor Slughorn,” said Ginny. “We will give a quick tour of the estate and let the House Elves know you are staying here.”

They had stepped out of the vault to find the Head House Elf, Piedra. He was dressed in a small black matador jacket a white shirt and short black pants.

“Madam and Master Potter, I am pleased to see you again. We are having a bit of a situation here that needs you attention.”

“Piedra, this is Horace Slughorn. He shall be living here in the guest suite until further notice. He is an accomplished Potion Master and will have full access to the Potions lab. If you could send his trunk to his suite, we will show him the estate.”

“Will Madam and Master be staying too?”

“No Peidra, we will be returning after showing Professor Slughorn the estate,” answered Harry. He was getting concerned about getting back to Grimmauld place by the start of the meeting. It was already past three.

“Master Potter, we are having some problems with the latest developments. Our storage facilities are full. What should we do?”

Harry looked at him with a strange expression. He wasn’t sure what the House Elf was talking about for a few seconds, before it came to him.

“Can the new supplies be stored in Italy or Turkey?”

“If you do not need me, I will go there and see if they can be properly stored.”

“Go on Peidra, it shouldn’t take you more than two hours. I need to return to England within two hours.”

“I shall return before you need to leave.” The House Elf disappeared with a pop.

“Are you ready to see the estate?” Harry asked their guest.

“Are there stairs?” Slughorn asked.

“Three flights to the main level,” said Ginny. Harry could tell she was trying to suppress a smile.

“Could we please Apparate to the main level?”

Harry offered his arm to the overweight Potion Master. Slughorn grabbed the arm. He seemed to be relieved that he didn’t need to walk up three flights of stairs.

“Meet me in the courtyard,” he said to Ginny, before Apparating away with Slughorn.

They reappeared in the open air courtyard. The air was chilly but not cold for being November, with a scent of the salt air from the Mediterranean. The sun was hanging low over the red tile roof. Its rays warmed Harry. He lowered his arm to allow Slughorn to walk on his own. Ginny appeared out of a doorway to their left.

“Harry, you need to see this,” she said. “We are going to have to move things around before anyone can start using the Potion Lab.”

“Peidro already talked about the problem. He is trying to find the solution,” Harry replied to Ginny. He turned to Slughorn. “Would you like to see the Potion Lab?”

“What exactly is this problem?”

“I ordered my financiers to purchase Bicorn Horn.”

“Bicorn Horn, how much did you ask them to purchase?”

Harry smiled. Horace was always so fixated with wealth and power. He wondered what his reaction will be to the amount of Bicorn Horn they purchased. He walked towards the door that Ginny had disappeared into. “I told them to buy them all.” He saw a puzzled look on Slughorn’s face.

“Buy them all? What do you mean by all? All the ones in the local market….”

“No, all the Bicorn Horn in the world; it is a rare reagent, and it will keep our opposition from making Polyjuice Potion.”

Harry opened the door to the Potion Lab. It was a large expansive room, nearly the floor space of the great hall of Hogwarts with a lower ceiling. There was a section by the door that had solid walls to reduce the light and fold out screens to block light from the other end of the lab. The distant half of the lab had windows on all sides with blinds to control the amount of light. On the benches were hundreds of boxes with Bicorn Horns in them.

“My goodness, Harry,” gasped Horace Slughorn. “A single complete Bicorn Horn can cost up to a thousand galleons. You must have a million galleons worth of Bicorn Horns.”

“Didn’t Grins say it was closer to one and a half million galleons,” said Ginny.

“A million and a half galleons,” Slughorn said with complete shock. “How can you afford that?”

Harry looked up at him. “You saw the Potter manor in England, and this one here in Spain. I have also seven other estates as large. I can afford to do this. I am not afraid to tell you this, because you are not allowed to leave here until the war is over. This location is probably safer than any place in the world. Only House Elves or Ginny and I will come here. No one will find you. If you need to communicate with anyone give Peidro the letter, he will deliver it. The House Elves will take care of your needs. We need you to make Potions for the Order. We will need healing Potions and others like Polyjuice.”

“What is to become of me if Tom wins this war?”

“If he wins then I and Ginny will be dead. If there are no other Potters, this estate is yours to keep.” Horace Slughorn opened and closed his mouth for several seconds. He stared around at the Potions Lab and all the Bicorn Horn along with other rare reagents on the shelves. He turned to Harry with a smile on his face.

“Shall we see the rest of the estate?” Slughorn asked them.

Back to index


Chapter 23: Deceived

Author's Notes: This chapter is really a continuation of the last chapter, but the chapter became to long.
I would like to thank my Beat Leif for finding all of my mistakes.


Harry was walking up the stairs to the meeting of the Order of the Phoenix with Ginny a few steps behind. They had made it back from Spain only an hour earlier. Slughorn was nearly over the moon when he discovered how wealthy and influential the Potter family was. Harry never told him about the connection with the Gringotts family, or about owning most of Diagon Alley. Slughorn had marveled over the Potter library. He could access any book that had been published in the past 500 years by writing a note to the library. He was so excited at being able to pursue research he had to give up years ago, because he couldn’t find the writings in other libraries.

Slughorn’s last words still bothered Harry.

“After you have defeated Tom, I will make sure that you have all the proper connections in magical Britain. You have the wealth. You will have the popularity. With my influences, you could become the most influential wizard since Merlin.”

Harry didn’t want that. He had even contemplated that after the war was over; he and Ginny would disappear to raise their family at the Potter estates. Their children could never have a normal childhood if they are victorious.

“Harry,” Dumbledore’s voice pulled him back to the present. He was standing in the doorway of the library across from the dining room. The meeting normally took place in the formal dining room since it was the largest room in the house. “I would like a word with you.”

The Headmasters voice didn’t sound grave. Harry looked at Ginny and she looked as if she was uncertain why he made the request. If there was something serious, she would have sensed it. Harry entered the library to find Madam Bones and Dumbledore standing there.

“Harry, I would like you to make the emergency Portkeys first before coming to the meeting. We are interviewing new members and it will be a long process. I don’t mean to exclude you, but your time might be better served staying in here and creating everyone’s Portkey. I will be sending members in to you one at a time, so no one but you will know what everyone’s Portkeys are."

“Ginny, I was hoping to have you at the meeting. It would help to determine if someone is being deceitful to us.”

Harry looked at Ginny. She took some time to think about it before answering.

“I think that would be a good idea,” she replied. “The only thing about me being in that room. Where will I sit? I need to be close to the person being interrogated. If I am too far away, I may get some other person’s emotions mixed up with theirs.”

Ginny looked at Harry, Her brown eyes bored into his. He could see that she was confident in this plan. “Are you fine with this?”

“Yeah, I will be right across the hallway from you. If you need anything just yell.” He reached out and brushed her hair behind her ear. He felt a slight tingle as his hands brushed over the smooth skin of her cheek. Ginny smiled and left the library with Dumbledore.

“I am glad you are agreeing to this,” said Madam Bones. “Am I safe to assume you have been practicing making Portkeys?”

Harry broke his gaze from Ginny’s retreating form and turned to Madam Bones. "Yes, I have made the last ten successfully, and they all have been delayed activated. What do you want made into a Portkey?”

Madam Bones pointed her wand towards the door leading to the hall. “I am casting a Silencing Charm. I don’t want anyone else to hear this.” She waited a few seconds after casting the Silencing Charm before speaking again. “I want my monocle turned into a Portkey. The activation key will be the ribbon on it, when it is broken, it will activate the Portkey. Can you do that?”

Harry thought about it for a second. “I can do that. Can you place your monocle on the table here,” he said pointing at a reading table to their right.

He cast a couple of Diagnostic Charms on the monocle and its ribbon. They were clean of all magical residue that might cause him problems. It took just two small waves of his wand to create the Portkey and its activation key. The monocle glowed blue for a few seconds, before the glow seemed to sink it the small object completely.

“You are all set,” he told the older lady.

“Where will this take me?”

“To a safe place. If you don’t know where, then no one can force it out of you,” he said calmly. He should trust her, but something made him hold back a little. “I am not planning on telling anyone where they are going. There will be provisions there and House Elves to help you. I have contacted them and told them that anyone arriving by Portkey are to be treated as guests, unless you attack them.”

“Why would I attack them?”

“I wouldn’t expect you to, but if a Death Eater grabs onto you or steals your Portkey. I can only assume they may attack the first thing that moves.”

“Will I be able to Apparate back here? You seemed to indicate that these locations are in another country.”

“They are. The House Elves will contact me and I will come and get you. It would be best that you wait for me. If you leave the estate, the country will become aware of your presence and it might create a bit of a problem.”

“I have one more favor to ask you Harry,” Madam Bones asked gently. “I would like you to make another Portkey for my niece, Susan. I asked the Weasleys to take care of her if anything would happen to me and her mother. I am afraid that she might not be able to get to the Weasleys if Voldemort suddenly attacks. If he does this during the summer holidays, she may be at home when the Death Eaters come after us. Will you do this for me?”

He stared at this strong woman. She had tears forming in her eyes as she begged for a way to protect her niece. He heard about almost the entire Bones family being murdered by the Death Eaters during the last war. They had been made an example of for those who opposed Voldemort.

“Sure, do you have something for the Portkey?”

Harry charmed a small crystal necklace for Susan Bones. Madam Bones left to attend the meeting. The Order members came one after another. Harry started to forget what he had charmed for everyone. He didn’t tell them that he had sent them all to the estate in France with the infirmary.

The only person who stuck out in his memory was Reg Cattermole. He came in with a woman’s hair clip. He said he would take his chances with the Death Eaters, but his wife was a Muggleborn. She would need to escape if they ever took over. Reg never claimed to be very brave, but Harry thought he was very brave for preferring to face the wrath of Death Eaters so that he wife could be safe. The maintenance man stated that he wasn’t planning on fighting so he would try to hide and bend a knee if necessary. He just wanted to be sure his wife and children would be safe.

Severus Snape was the last person to walk into the library. He looked at Harry with a look of distaste. He sat and stared at Harry with that sneering look on his face for several minutes before talking.

“I have told you before, that if you make me a Portkey, it is possible that I will be forced to take Death Eaters with me to the location.”

“I told you that when you arrive at the location. Do not lift your wand against anyone there,” Harry growled. He was tired and they already had this conversation. If someone had repeated a conversation like this to Snape he would insult them and call them a dunderhead.

“Will you make the Portkey without any snide comments or revealing what the Portkey is to anyone else?”

“Look, I am tired so just tell me what it is and what the trigger will be,” he snapped at the Potion Master.

“It is in my pocket, and I want my touch to activate it,” said Snape a little sheepishly.

Harry stared at him there was something that he was embarrassed about. He might not have Ginny’s empathy, but he didn’t need it.

“I can make it so the touch of your skin will activate it, but if you would accidentally touch…,”

“I will not make that mistake Potter,” he said cutting Harry off.

“Fine, place it onto the table, and let’s get this over with,” he ordered Snape.

Snape pulled his robe back and reached into hidden pocket over his left breast. Harry wasn’t prepared for what came out of his pocket. It was a four inch long braid of auburn hair. It was tied with emerald green silk ribbon on each end. He didn’t know how Snape got that lock of hair, but there was no doubt that it was his Mum’s. He became slightly agitated at the thought that this foul git had a lock of his Mum’s hair over his heart. Harry stared at Snape for several seconds.

“Lily gave it to me,” Snape hissed. “She had cut her hair between third and fourth year when Potter told her he loved her long red hair. She even tied the ribbons on it.”

“Why…,” Harry started talking.

“Because your mother and I were best friends growing up,” Snape said with a great deal of venom.

“Why are you using this for the Portkey?” Harry said. “I knew you and my mother were friends, but you chose to be a Death Eater.”

Snape sneered at him. “No one knows about this, except you and me. I supposed it was stupid of me to think that you could keep this a secret.”

“I won’t tell anyone, this will be our secret. I am keeping everyone’s Portkey a secret. After making so many, I doubt if I could remember everyone’s choice.”

Snape snorted at his comment, but didn’t say anything. Harry bit back a retort and started casting charms on the locket of hair. He wanted to touch it, but decided not to. The lock of hair wasn’t the same exact color as Ginny’s, but it was just as shiny and silky looking. It didn’t have any magical spells cast on it so it wasn’t magically preserved.

“There it is ready for you,” Harry told the Professor. Snape stared at him with his cold black eyes. Harry was waiting for some snide remark, but Snape didn’t say anything. He removed his wand and Levitated the locket of hair off the table and into his pocket. “Make sure you don’t get a hole in your pocket, or you may go on an unexpected trip.”

“I am not incompetent,” Snape sneered at him. “It is time to go to the meeting.”

Snape stood up and left the library. Harry watched Snape walk out of the library. He was exhausted. His day started early, the dueling club, transporting Slughorn to Spain, and now creating twenty Portkeys in just an hour. He just wanted to go to Hogwarts and crawl into bed, but he had a meeting to attend.

He stood up feeling older than he actually was in years. His back and legs ached. The one good thing about going to the meeting would be sitting near Ginny. The thought of being near her made him feel better. He walked out of the library and as soon as he entered the hallway he could hear the voices from the meeting room. Madam Bones’ Silencing Charm was still working.

When he walked into the meeting room, people were talking amongst themselves, and they didn’t notice him at first. Harry was drawn to Ginny. She was sitting on the far side of the table. She made eye contact with him and waved him over to the empty chair beside her. People started to talk to Harry, but he barely noticed or responded to them. He just wanted to sit down beside Ginny and take her hand.

“Harry, did you get everyone’s Portkey made?” asked Albus Dumbledore.

“Yes, I did,” he quickly said over his shoulder as he neared his wife.

“How many did you make?” asked Gabriel Brandenburg.

“Twenty, I think.” he plopped down beside Ginny and took her hand. The fatigue that had been causing him pain was washed away in her presence.

“Twenty International Portkeys in an hour!” Gabriel exclaimed. “You must be exhausted.”

“I will survive, now,” he said with a smile. The fatigue was nearly gone. His gloomy disposition disappeared with it.

“That is good to know,” sneered Snape from across the table. “Can we get this meeting started?”

“Actually, Snape the meeting started an hour ago,” said Moody. He seemed to enjoy irritating the Potion Master. Snape glared at Moody then looked at Dumbledore for confirmation.

“Yes, Severus, some of us here started an hour ago interviewing possible Order members,” Dumbledore said gently.

“You had possible Order members in your safe house. Are you sure they are trustworthy?” Snape nearly shouted.

“The house is under a Fidelius Charm and they were brought by trusted members of the Order,” Dumbledore stated to Snape. “They will not be able to find this place again and they were blindfolded and a Charm was cast to disguise all of our voices. So we did not betray our safe house to possible spies.” Dumbledore said the last part with a great deal of force. Snape looked slightly uncomfortable being spoken to in that manner. He was always so used to being untouchable because of his position.

“Any good prospects?” Snape asked civilly.

“Yes, there were,” said Madam Bones.

“So what are the numbers up to now?” Snape looked at her then at Dumbledore.

“We are growing Severus. That is all Voldemort needs to know at the present,” Dumbledore said to him. Snape again reacted almost like the Headmaster had physically slapped his face. “Do you have anything to report, Severus?”

“I actually have two things,” Snape said as he turned to address the rest of the room. “The first thing is more of an annoyance and it doesn’t directly involve the Death Eaters. I was informed by the manager of Slugg & Jiggers Apothecary that they do not have nor can they get any Bicorn Horn. I had an order to be filled this coming week for NEWT level students.”

“I don’t see the need to announce that,” growled Moody. “They will certainly get more in next week.”

“The reason I made this announcement is because they cannot get anymore in. It seems that the world wide supply of Bicorn Horn has been purchased in the past seventy-two hours. No one has it anywhere.”

“That’s impossible,” exclaimed Madam Bones. “There are thousands of apothecaries all over the world.”

“I do not know how it was done, but as of right now, we have no way of making Polyjuice Potion.”

Everyone sat in silence for several seconds before Ginny’s father spoke up. “Do you think the Death Eaters are behind this shortage of Bicorn Horn?”

“I have not heard of any plans like this. I supposed you are thinking about Malfoy throwing his gold around?”

Arthur and several others nodded in agreement.

“I don’t think Lucius has the amount of gold to make this happen. There is a rumor from Stegs, the manager of Slugg & Jiggers, that Owls took the orders to the middle-east. Stegs is wondering if some super wealthy Wizard was trying to buy out and raise the price of Bicorn Horn to make themselves even wealthier. Whoever has the supply will soon be able to sell it at three or four times the price they paid for it. If any of you have some Bicorn Horn in your personal supplies, please allow me to use it at Hogwarts?”

“No,” shouted Moody. “We may need Polyjuice for the upcoming war. Besides, some of your students are Slytherins.”

Harry smiled at the look that crossed Snape’s face. He looked halfway shocked and three-quarters offended.

“I am the Head of Slytherin House,” he said icily.

“Yeah, I know that,” responded Moody. “If the Death Eaters don’t have Polyjuice, then that will be one less thing we have to worry about.”

“I destroy all Potions made by my students. It will not fall into anyone else’s hands.”

“I have some Bicorn Horn,” said Harry. He could feel Ginny tense up beside him.

“Save it Potter, for when we need to make Polyjuice,” ordered Moody. He was getting rather offensive about insisting the Order has Polyjuice.

“I also have some Polyjuice from when I was practicing for my NEWTs,” he said to Mad-eye.

“Can we move on to my next item?” asked Snape. “It is more important than the lack of Bicorn Horn.”

“You found out what your master is planning.” Shouted Moody.

“No, and yes,” said Snape while glaring at Moody. “He is planning on having his new recruits attack a Muggle village this week. I do not know the time or the location, but I do know it will be this week.”

Everyone started talking about his latest proclamation.

“Will you be told the time and location of the attack?” asked Dumbledore.

“The Dark Lord wants his Inner Circle to accompany the new recruits and assess them and the areas they need to improve….”

“Bloody Hell, he is going to grade them on the proper techniques to kill and torture people,” said Moody cutting Snape off.

“I will be called to attend. I will try to pass information of where the strike will happen onto the Headmaster. You will need to be ready to send someone to stop the carnage. I doubt the attack will last much longer than fifteen minutes. When terrorizing a community, it is best to attack hard and leave quickly so no one can get their mind cleared to organize a counter attack.”

Harry sat there and clutched Ginny’s hand. He must have tightened his grip too tight, because he could feel a small jolt against the palm of his hand. He looked at Ginny.

“You were breaking my hand,” she whispered to him. She didn’t appear angry at him.

“Sorry,” he whispered back to her.

“Do not think that these new recruits are all recent graduates from Hogwarts. Most of his recruits are experienced Wizards and Witches that supported his cause from a distance last time. Many of them are openly joining this time.

“That is all I have for you at this time. Potter, could you get me the Bicorn Horn before Monday?”

“Are you brewing the Polyjuice starting on Monday?” Harry asked him.

“No, what does that matter.”

“If you have it your stores, then someone could steal it from you. I would prefer to wait. We may be needing to make some Polyjuice for the Order.”

Snape stood there and glared at him. Harry didn’t want to admit it openly, but he truly enjoyed irritating Snape.

“I will tell you a week in advance of brewing Polyjuice,” hissed Snape. He spun on his heels and left in a flutter of robes. He stopped walking when Sirius called out his name.

“We also need to know the total number of students. No sense giving away more Bicorn Horn than necessary,” Sirius called to him.

Snape never turned around or acknowledged Sirius. He seemed to stand there rigid as a marble statue for a second, before stomping away. Sirius sniggered from his location at the table. He had accomplished his daily goal of irritating Snape.

“How many…,” Moody started to say before Dumbledore cut him off.

“Before we decide who will be on the team that goes to counter the attack, is there anything else someone wants to report on? The information gathering at the Ministry, how is everything going there?”

Madam Bones leaned up in her chair and looked across the table at Gregory Bright, Reg Cattermole, and a new Order Member. “There is good information coming from the Ministry, but we are working to get enough people in maintenance so there will always be someone who wants our side to win in the Ministry. Gregory and Reg have been diligent in listening to their coworkers to find them.

“Barty Crouch has been moved to the Spell Damage Ward in St. Mungo. The Healers said there was evidence that he had been Imperioused. The Healers believe that the spell will protect him from permanent brain damage. They think he should be able to recover eventually and tell us who Imperioused him.

“The rest of the Ministry is plodding along as normal. Fudge’s spies are still in place. We know who they are so they really pose no threat to us. I know there are Death Eaters in the Auror Department, but should we contact them when Severus tells us when and where this attack will happen?”

Albus looked at her. Harry could tell he was not thinking about contacting the Aurors. He didn’t know why. The more help they had the better.

“If the Death Eaters are arrested, will they remain in prison?” Albus asked Madam Bones.

“If they don’t, there will be a major investigation and Fudge will probably be asked to leave office.”

“That might be a good thing,” stated Arthur Weasley.

“I doubt if Voldemort would allow it. They have invested too much in him at this time,” said Remus. “I would also be concerned that if Fudge is kicked out, Voldemort will ensure he has control over the new Minister.”

“I agree with Remus,” said Albus. “Amelia, please be careful. If there is another breakout, they may try to blame you and have you arrested. If we have the Aurors help us, we need to ensure they don’t know any of our identities. I feel it would work against us. We might even find some of the Aurors arresting us. Now that I have had time to think about this, I don’t think we should call the Aurors to officially help us. Does anyone object to that idea?”

Harry smiled as several of the older members seemed to be shocked that Dumbledore asked their opinions.

“If we don’t call the Aurors, what will we do with the wizards and witches we capture?” asked Arthur.

Albus looked at him and smiled. “Take their wands. Don’t break them, just take them and we will hide them.”

“What good will that do?” asked a new member that Harry didn’t know.

“If you win the wand in a battle, you will get the allegiance of the wand. If you break the wand, it may cancel the effects the loss of their wand’s allegiance will affect the original owner’s magical ability. At least, I believe it will, Caradoc. They will need to replace their wand no matter what we do with the wands.”

“It’s a shame that we can’t convince Ollivander to refuse to sell new wands to adults,” said Sirius.

Albus chuckled. “Ollivander is more interested in seeing what the wands he sells do, then who will actually win. He must think that he is safe no matter which side wins. Is there anything else that needs to be discussed, before we set up a communication system for the upcoming attack?”

No one said anything, so they all started to suggest ideas for communicating the exact location and time of the attack. Harry tried to listen, but he was so tired from all the day’s activities that his eyes kept going shut. He would jump slightly when he realized that this had happened. After about the third or fourth time, he saw Remus, Bill, Molly, and Arthur Weasley smiling at him. As everyone spoke about the method of communicating information, a thought occurred to him.

“Could I ask a question,” he said to cut into the conversation. “We are determining how to communicate with each other, but what would happen if this attack is planned during the day when we would all be at work in the Ministry or Hogwarts. It wouldn’t take a genius to figure out where we went, and who was in the Order.”

“That is a good point Harry,” said Albus. “All of us may be exposed to being in the Order if this attack happens during the daytime and we are either in classes or the Ministry.”

“I am willing to take that chance if it saves people from dying and being tortured,” stated Madam Bones.

“I am too,” said Arthur Weasley.

Soon everyone in the room stated that they were not afraid of being exposed as being a member of the Order of the Phoenix. The meeting finished up within the next fifteen minutes. Harry checked his watch and saw it was well past ten. He heard some heavy breathing from beside him, and realized that Ginny was sleeping in her chair. He smiled at her peaceful expression. He never thought someone could look beautiful when sleeping, but his wife was absolutely radiant.

“Harry,” whispered Molly Weasley. He looked up to see her staring intently at Ginny. “Is everything alright?”

“We had a very long day today,” he replied. The room was almost abandoned except the Weasleys, Albus, Bill, Sirius, and Remus. He wasn’t concerned about anyone hearing. “We were doing a lot of magic and we have been on the go since seven this morning.”

Molly moved closer to them as Harry spoke. She bent down and kissed her daughter on the head waking her from her slumber. When Ginny opened her eyes, she realized that she had taken a quick kip. Her face reddened for a second from embarrassment, but it quickly turned to anger. It was with anger that she addressed Harry.

“Why did you leave me sleep? You prat!”

“You were tired and nothing being said pertained to you,” he said to console her.

Her eyes flashed with anger at him. “Thank you for doing that for me. I would like to have been awake to hear what was being said.”

“Ginevra, the only thing you missed was everyone saying goodbye. Your husband was only thinking about you two.”

Sirius’ barking laughter broke the tension in the room. “You two are so much like Lily and James. I have a question for you, now that we are the only ones left here. How did you do it? How did you manage to buy all the Bicorn Horn in the world in twenty-four hours?”

Harry could feel everyone’s eyes on him at the moment. “I only asked Grins if it was possible. When he said it was and we had the finances to do it. I gave him the go ahead. The problem we have now is storing it until we want to sell it to the public again.

“Horace Slughorn has been delivered to the Potion Lab and he has been given a list of Potions to start brewing. It will be a month before we have a large supply of Polyjuice Potion.”

“That is wonderful, now why don’t you two go home and get a good night’s sleep, especially you Ginevra,” stated her Mum, as though she was addressing a toddler.

“I was planning on doing that, Mother,” Ginny replied waspishly. She turned back to Harry. “Do you know how embarrassing that is to wake up in a meeting and see everyone had left while you slept? I supposed everyone was laughing at me?”

“No one was laughing at you,” Harry said trying to console her. He could see that statement didn’t work. She was still glaring daggers at him.

“I got a good laugh out of it, Ginny,” said Sirius jovially.

Ginny never took her eyes off Harry when she flicked her fingers in the direction of Sirius. Harry glanced up to see the Stinging Hex hit Sirius right on the forehead. He yelped like a kicked dog as his hair was knocked back revealing a growing red welt on his forehead.

“Ginevra, apologize to…,” Molly Weasley started to say then just stopped. Everyone was looking at Ginny with amazement. It was the biggest display of wandless magic she had ever preformed in front of anyone.

Ginny looked away from Harry. “I guess I shouldn’t have done that.”

“You let the cat out of the bag,” he said to her.

“Sorry everyone, we need to leave I am really tired,” Ginny told everyone. She walked over to Sirius who now looked as if he was turning into a unicorn. There was a large lump quickly growing on his forehead. She walked over to him and placed a hand on the lump shrinking and healing it. Harry took Ginny’s arm and walked her towards the door. Bill’s voice caught them and made them stop.

“How long have you been able to do wandless magic, sis. Is there anything else you have forgotten to tell us?”

Ginny flipped her hair over her left shoulder as she looked at him. “About two months. I didn’t want anyone to know, because it is always better to use wandless magic when someone doesn’t know your secret.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry looked at the Potion carefully. He had finally accomplished it. The test Potion showed that the Prenatal Potion was safe to drink. He had been working on it for over a month to ensure it was perfect. It was actually so easy to extract all the various poisons out of the Potion. All he had to do was leave four Beazors in the Potion for four days. The Beazors absorbed all the poison in the Potion. There was only one test left before he would allow Ginny to drink it. Without hesitation he lifted a vial of the Potion to his lips and drank it.

It was actually a pleasant tasting Potion. He was glad it wasn’t a foul tasting. Ginny was pretty sensitive to anything tasting even slightly foul.

He stood there holding the little vial waiting for the Potion to take effect. If he started to feel sick, he had another Beazor on the table in front of him. He could feel the Potion coursing through his veins making him feel more alive.

“What are you doing?” asked Ginny as she entered their pantry/kitchen area. “What are you taking?”

“Just testing…,” he started to say.

“TESTING! Are you bloody barmy!” she screamed at him. “Is that my Potion you have been working trying to make it non-poisonous?”

“Yes it is. I think I have accomplished it,” He said to her. He thought she would be happy, but he could tell by her crossed arms and the anger rolling off her like waves of heat from a fire. “It passed all the other tests. I decided that I would take it and see what effect it would have on me before giving it to you.”

“And if it would kill you; your baby and I would both die,” she snapped at him, but it looked like a smile was forming on her lips.

“I have a Beazor ready if I start feeling ill,” he said sheepishly to her.

Ginny stood there with her arms crossed glaring at him. She was trying not to smile at him. “How long before you are sure it is safe?”

“Give me a few hours, before you take it. I tell you Ginny, this Potion really fills you with energy.”

Ginny smiled at him. “I am glad to hear that. By the way Harry how long have you been pregnant,” she said with a chortle. “You are going to have a difficult time explaining why you are growing breasts.” She burst out in laughter after her comment.

Harry stood there and shook his head at his wife. She started getting mood swings last week. She could suddenly start laughing or crying at the silliest things. Thankfully, it has been more laughing than crying. He hated it when she cried.

Someone knocked at their door. Harry looked at Ginny. She was still sitting there giggling. He didn’t even ask if she wanted to get the door. Harry turned his back to her and went to find out who was knocking at this time of the morning on a Sunday. He was surprised to find Ron Weasley and his friend Hermione Granger standing there.

“Good Morning, Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger,” he said to them brightly. He had to keep his focus with the sounds of Ginny’s giggles floating out of their living area. Ron seemed to hear them, because he was standing there with a strange look on his face staring into Harry living quarters.

Hermione elbowed Ron in the ribs to get his attention. “Good morning Professor Potter, we were wondering if we could come in and have a chat. Ron hasn’t seen his sister for some time. Have you Ronald.”

She practically growled his name. Harry could easily tell Hermione was only accompanying him as a friend for support. It was Ron who originally wanted to come here.

“What is wrong with Ginny?” Ron asked. “Did you hit her with a Tickling Charm?”

Harry smiled at his comment. “No, she just found something very funny. She will get over it eventually. Won’t you two please come in? Can I get you anything? Tea? Pumpkin juice?”

“Pumpkin juice would be great. Do you have any biscuits? They don’t make any biscuits for meals here. The puddings are great, but I still haven’t had any biscuits since I got on the train this year,” Ron said rapidly.

“Sure, I will get you some Pumpkin juice and biscuits. Hermione, do you want anything?”

“Pumpkin juice would be fine. I just ate breakfast and am quite full.”

He could see her glaring at Ron. They probably came straight from the great hall and breakfast. “While I am getting the Pumpkin Juice, why don’t the two of you take the love seat by the fireplace? I will be in shortly.”

He had to turn away from them and walk into the kitchen area. They both turned pink and stood there staring at him with their mouths hanging open. The mention of them sitting in the love seat, which he deliberately called instead of settee, was enough to make them awkward around each other. Harry had seen this type of reaction several times. He noticed that Ron became angry and overly concerned when Hermione would take a direct hit with a spell in the duels. She never was hit with anything dangerous. It was obvious to Harry that they fancied each other, but were afraid to do anything about it.

He noticed Ginny standing with her eyes closed in the one corner of the kitchen. She was taking deep breathes. He had seen her do this before to calm her emotions.

“Ron is here. Hermione said that they were concerned because they haven’t spoken to you for some time.”

Ginny opened her eyes and smiled at him. “I am fine now. The giggles are gone. He is here because Mum wanted him to check on me. I can guarantee that she wrote him this morning. She was concerned about me last night.”

Harry quickly gathered everything they needed on a tray and walked to the living area. Ron and Hermione had dutifully sat on the love seat. They were as far apart from each other and possible on such a small seat. It was designed for two normal people to sit, but there wasn’t much room for another full sized person.

“Oh my,” whispered Ginny. “I can’t let this opportunity pass us by.”

Ginny went and made Ron budge over so she could sit between him and the arm of the settee. It forced Ron to practically sit in Hermione’s lap. “First of all Ron that was a great victory, yesterday. Hermione, you did very nice job too. So Ron, what did Mom ask you to find out?”

Harry almost sloshed some of the Pumpkin juice when he sat the tray down in front of Ron and Hermione. He started to laugh at the look on the two youngsters face as they brushed up against each other. He remembered how uncomfortable he had felt even holding Ginny’s hand when they were first bonded. He wondered if they looked as awkward as Ron and Hermione did at this moment.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

It had been a week since the Order meeting that Snape said Voldemort was planning an attack. Harry had been on edge the entire time. Ginny had tried to help him calm down but she was almost as nervous as he. Sirius, Bill and Remus were also anxious. They were starting to wonder if Snape was winding them up, or feeding them misinformation.

Everyone else in the castle seemed as nervous and jumpy as they were. It wasn’t for the same reason. Slytherin House dropped from first to third last weekend because of their poor showing at the Dueling contest. Gryffindor House moved from second to first. The twins seemed to enjoy winding up the Slytherins in their year. Snape even spoke to Dumbledore about the twins’ actions and the Dueling contest. He wanted anyone who was taking advanced Defense Classes to be barred from the contest since they had an unfair advantage.

After the Headmaster spoke to Bill about Snape’s request, they decided to stop calling them classes and refer to the sessions as tutoring. None of them were getting grades in the class. It would also eliminate the need to include other students, if they requested participation. It would be complicated if other students saw how they were training the Weasleys and their friends to survive an attack. After the Headmaster told Snape about the changes, he still insisted that the Weasleys be barred from participating in the dueling. The Headmaster said that Professor Snape didn’t appreciate being told no so bluntly.

Remus, Sirius and Bill sat in Harry and Ginny’s sitting area discussing how they should plan the tutoring session with the Weasleys. It was late at night. The curfew bell had just rung.

“That is a sad sound,” sighed Sirius.

“What Padfoot, the sound of children needing to be in their common rooms?” asked Bill.

“No, the realization that I can be out after it and not get into trouble; it took away some of the purpose and motivation of my life.”

Everyone chuckled at Sirius’ statement. It was good to laugh to help relieve the tension in the room.

“I guess we should go to bed,” Bill said. “It seems our hostess is already asleep.”

Ginny was leaning on Harry’s arm sleeping with her mouth slightly open. She had been for the past ten minutes. She had been so tired that he didn’t bother to wake her. Even though she was taking the prenatal potion, she still became tired around this time of night. It was rare that she was ever awake later than thirty past ten. He needed to wake her get her to bed. Moving his arm and shoulder he was able to gently move her head to waken her.

“What,” she said groggily.

“It’s time to go to bed,” he gently whispered to her.

“Okay,” she said and sat up straight. She saw everyone staring at her in the room. “Harry, you let me fall asleep again. You know how much I hate….”

She stopped talking as four bumblebee Patroni appeared in the room.

“Come to my office immediately. Be prepared for a battle. The others have been notified. Buttered Rum.” The four Patroni disappeared into a silvery mist, after delivering their message.

“Well, I guess sleep is out for the night,” said Ginny. She suddenly appeared wide awake. “We need to change.”

They had stopped wearing their dragon hide cloaks, boots, and dueling clothing over the months of being at Hogwarts. They all needed to change into them before setting out against Death Eaters, even if they were facing recruits.

Five minutes later they were all riding the spiral staircase up to the Headmasters office. Harry could feel his heart rate increasing. He wasn’t actually nervous. He was more excited at the possibility of facing Death Eaters again and possibly doing something to discourage them from joining Voldemort. They had been discussing it all week. The plan was to subdue the recruits and take their wands. They wouldn’t break them, but just take them and hide them. Dumbledore said that according to various tales of wand lore this would make it impossible for them to obtain another wand that worked as well.

He tightened his grip on Ginny’s hand. He wasn’t getting separated from her. They were strongest together. After being whisked away by a Polyjuiced Death Eater with a Portkey. He and Ginny decided not to split up during a battle. If she had been there with him before, she would have sensed that the person posing as Percy was fake and up to something.

Harry entered the Headmaster’s office first. The Headmaster was standing by his desk. Professor McGonagall was standing behind it with her arms crossed and a severe look on her face. She always looked stern but tonight it looked like she could turn water into ice with her expression. She was dressed in a tartan green dressing gown.

“Professor McGonagall, are you not going?” Ginny asked.

“I am to stay here and ensure the students are safe,” she said with a clipped tone.

“I need someone who can officially take over for me, in case something unfortunate happens,” said Albus Dumbledore. “I might ask if it is wise for the two of you to go together. Your powers to bring the other to yourself could prove quite beneficial.”

“We are stronger together than apart,” stated Ginny. Her tone was even icier than Professor McGonagall. “If we had been together before, I wouldn’t have needed to bring Harry to me. Now, where are we going, and what are we going to face?”

The Headmaster opened his mouth to say something, but he closed it and he slumped slightly forward. He seemed to realize that arguing with Ginny right now would only waste time and further anger her.

“We are going to Godric's Hollow. I have no idea if the battle will be going on when we get there or if the Death Eaters will be waiting for some type of a signal. We will be traveling by Portkey.” He pointed to a Frisbee laying on his desk.

“We should go Dissillusioned,” said Harry. Everyone else but Dumbledore quickly agreed. “We may be landing in the middle of a group of Death Eaters. It would help if they can’t see us.”

“Our arrival will make noise. Someone could cast a Homonum Revelio spell,” countered Albus.

“That would be the point we start casting spells,” said Remus. “I think Ginny should be our lead. If the battle is in progress, Harry can take over. Everyone will need to hold hands until we drop the Dissillusionent.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” said Sirius.

“I agree,” stated Harry. Ginny and Bill also agreed with Remus.

They all grabbed the Portkey before Dissillusioning themselves. Harry and Ginny didn’t even use a wand. He could see Professor McGonagall smiling at them.

“I am going to activate the Portkey,” said Albus Dumbledore.

Not being able to see Albus’s wand activate the Portkey caught Harry by surprise when the tug behind his naval lifted him and started him spinning. After the initial shock of the activation, he quickly got his bearings while spinning. He wasn’t sure how long this should last, but he felt as if they were reaching the end. There was a slight hesitation in their spinning before they all landed.

Harry wobbled a little upon hitting the ground. He could feel everyone else also stumbling a bit. They were in a field by an overgrown hedgerow. The town of Godric's Hollow was a short distance away. The house and street lights shown through the trees and underbrush of the hedgerows.

“I heard something from over there,” said a male voice from the other side of the hedgerow.

“Then investigate it,” drawled the voice of Severus Snape.

Everyone stood still as someone pushed through the hedgerow with their wand light. The man was medium height but heavyset. He looked to be about Sirius and Remus’s age. Harry flinched slightly when the light from wand hit him directly in the eyes. He hoped that his movement didn’t betray them. The man swung the wand light to the left and right several times. He extinguished the wand light and returned to the other side of the hedgerow.

Ginny pulled his hand to the left away from the town. Harry followed her trying not to stumble and cause anyone to speak or fall.

“Did you see anything?” asked Snape.

“No, it was probably an animal,” said the investigating wizard.

They moved behind the group of Death Eaters. The moon was at a waning half and there was a slight cloud cover blocking some of the light from the moon. Harry could barely see the area around them in the dim light. He also could see the ripples caused by the shifting of their Dissillusionment. If someone would stare in their direction, they would see them moving through the night.

Ginny found an opening through the hedgerow. They were about thirty yards behind the Death Eaters. As Harry passed through the hedgerow, he could see a clump of Death Eaters milling around on the path. He wasn’t sure why they were waiting. The town was completely quiet. They could already be in the town causing destruction and fear.

The road was a grass path. It looked as if it had once been a road, but hadn’t had much traffic for years. Ginny pulled them slowly towards the Death Eaters.

“I am bloody tired of waiting,” whispered a female Death Eater. “We could have been in there and gone already.”

“Silence you dunderhead,” whispered Snape. “The Dark Lord wants us to wait until the town clock chimes twelve. Muggles have a belief about midnight being the witching hour. Tonight it will be an hour of death and destruction.”

The rest of the Death Eaters laughed at his comment. Harry was waiting for Ginny to attack this group, but she just slowed their progress towards them. They were close enough to see Snape look at his watch.

“It is time to move…,” Snape stopped talking and looked towards the town. There were spells being fired in the dimly lit streets.

Harry felt it a second before the first spells were cast. He could sense about ten Stunners being cast at one time in the distance. They must have missed their mark because there were various spells being cast in retaliation. The battle could be heard from across the town.

“What is going on? It is not time,” said Snape.

Harry felt Ginny pull her right hand away from his left.

“Stupify,” she shouted. A Death Eaters standing to the right of Snape fell.

Harry had his wand up and he fired off about five stunners in a couple of seconds. Albus Dumbledore, Remus, Bill, and Sirius also fired off stunners. Most of the Death Eaters fell immediately but there were still four left standing to retaliate.

The Dissillusionment Charms had dropped when they started casting Stunners. The remaining Death Eaters saw they were facing Albus Dumbledore and several other Order members. They immediately Apparated away, except Snape. He glowered at them before disappearing himself.

Battles were breaking out all over the town. Harry could sense Unforgivables being cast to the left of them and straight ahead.

“Hurry, lets collect their wands,” said Albus Dumbledore. With a few flicks of his wand all the Stunned Death Eaters’ wands flew into his out stretched hand. He calmly placed them in a pocket in his robes.

“I will lead from here,” Harry said. “Grab onto me and I will take us to the fighting. Be ready when we land.” He reached out and grabbed Ginny and Albus. They all quickly latched onto each other before Disapparating.

They appeared on the outskirts of Godric's Hollow by his parents’ house. There was a house on fire and several Death Eaters were hiding behind buildings and trees casting spells randomly to keep the Order members back and inflicting whatever damage they could to the town.

Harry’s instincts had been correct. They landed behind the hiding Death Eaters. He had sensed where they were by what type of spells. He was able to catch the surprised expressions on the Order members’ faces when they appeared. In a flurry of spells, Harry and the others quickly subdued the hidden Death Eaters within seconds of landing. The street was then completely silent.

Albus stepped forward to collect the wands from the unconscious Death Eaters. As the Headmaster was stepping forward, Harry felt a Killing Curse being formed from a gap between two houses. He couldn’t be sure who the spell was being aimed at. He flicked his wand at the paved sidewalk by the houses. He was able to blast up an entire section of sidewalk. With the slab of concrete in the air, he propelled it at the origin of the spell. He did this before the spell had been completely cast. The green beam collided with the concrete at the opening between the buildings. The explosion sent a shock wave of debris in all directions.

He cast a couple of Stunners between the buildings where he thought the person might be.

“I think you got him, Harry,” said Ginny.

“Let’s see who it is,” said Harry.

“I’ll go,” said Sirius. He ran into the dark gap with his wand raised. “Well, well, I recognize this Death Eater,” Sirius said from the darkness. A thick bodied Death Eater floated out from between the buildings. “It’s Alecto Carrow.”

“Let’s take her wand,” stated Albus.

Sirius flicked his wand and sent Alecto flying onto the pile of unconscious bodies. She collided with the others with a heavy thud.

“Are you going to just leave them lying there?” asked Kingsley Shacklebolt. “I know they don’t have wands, but that is going to seem a little strange.”

Harry didn’t want to stand and listen to this conversation. He could sense another battle occurring across the town in the all Muggle section.

“Look, do something with them; permanently stick them to the street for all I care,” he said to the rest of the group. “I need to go.”

“Not without us,” shouted Remus and Bill. In a blink of an eye, Bill, Remus, Sirius and Ginny were all together ready for him to Apparate them to the next fight. As the bell tower struck the first chime of midnight, Harry Apparated them away.

When they appeared at the next fight, Harry immediately realized he had made an error. They were in the crossfire between Death Eaters and the Order. More precisely he had landed behind where the Death Eaters were located on both sides of the street, but the in direct line of fire from the Order members. There were Blasting Spells flying towards them as they materialized.

A silver dome formed around all five of them. It was the Shield that Harry was able to generate to protect the ones he loved. The Blasting Curses hit the shield. The concussion of the spells colliding with the shield sent a shockwave all around them dislodging some of the Death Eaters from their hiding places. The Order members quickly Stunned them.

Harry dropped the Shield and quickly Stunned the remaining four Death Eaters before they could Apparate away.

“Harry, Ginny, what you did was very dangerous,” shouted the familiar voice of Molly Weasley.

She was with this band of Order members. Arthur was with her along with Madam Bones and the Auror Proudfoot and another person Harry saw at the last meeting but didn’t know his name.

“That was a bloody fantastic bit of magic you did, son,” said the other Order member.

“Amos Diggory, don’t encourage him,” shouted Molly Weasley.

“Now Molly, stop acting like they are under age,” said Arthur. Molly turned and glared at Arthur who didn’t seemed to be affected by it at all. “They are well trained adults.”

Harry smiled at Molly and Arthur arguing. Ginny walked over to try to calm her Mum down. Standing there after this small battle he watched as Order members collected wands while conversing with each other. He could also hear the tower bell chiming out it twelfth toll. The battle started at five minutes to twelve and it was over before the clock struck twelve. Harry was feeling pretty good about how the Order had attacked and defeated the Death Eaters, even though they weren’t the inner circle.

Laughter filled his ears. He wasn’t sure who was laughing, but they seemed very pleased. He looked over at Sirius and Remus, but they weren’t laughing. He looked to see who else in their party would be laughing, when the pain hit him. His head felt like it was going to split open. He barely registered the pain in his hands and knees as his fell onto the rough pavement. The pain in his head was excruciating.

As suddenly as it came on, the pain melted away. He could feel Ginny’s hand on his forehead. She could always feel when he had these terrible migraines. He was so lucky that one of her powers from the soul bond was the ability to magically heal things. The pain was now just a dull ache in his forehead, and the laughing was a distant whisper.

“Thank you,” he said to his wife.

“What happened? Why is he on the ground?” asked Madam Bones.

“It is something that happens at times to Harry,” explained Remus. “He gets these incredibly powerful headaches, but Ginny can make them go away.”

A bumblebee Patronus appeared in their circle. “We need everyone back at headquarters. Leave the Death Eaters, and get to headquarters,” said the voice of Albus Dumbledore.

“Like hell I am leaving them like this,” said Sirius. He started waving his wand Levitating bodies into a large pile. He had them lying head to feet as he conjured ropes and tied them all together. Grabbing a brick that had fallen off a building, he created a Portkey and wedged it into the ropes. In a second, the bundle of Death Eaters disappeared.

“Where did you send them?” asked Madam Bones.

“To a field in Scotland. Let’s see how long it will take them to get out of that. They can’t Apparate while tied like that, but they don’t have their wands to use. I just wish I could watch them try to free themselves,” laughed Sirius. “Let us go and see what Albus wants.”

They all appeared in the square across from Headquarters within seconds of each other. Harry did look around to see if any Muggles were out walking their dogs or something else that kept them up past midnight. It appeared that their appearance wasn’t noticed. Harry pulled on Ginny’s hand as he turned to the Headquarters.

They filed in through the front door and up to the formal dining room, but it was empty.

“I am up here,” said the voice of Albus Dumbledore.

Everyone neatly moved up the steps and into another room with a large table in the middle of it and on the table a large etched glass screen. A large group of objects were attached to the upper corner of the mirror.

“What is going on Albus,” demanded the strong voice of Amelia Bones.

“It appears this entire night had been a diversion. I think his actual plan was to break prisoners out of Azkaban. Look, every other Death Eaters that was not at Godric's Hollow had gone north.”

A second after Albus Dumbledore pointed out the clump of markers on the magical map, several of them had moved to other locations around England and Scotland. Everyone was watching the markers indicating the Death Eaters locations.

Harry couldn’t watch the return of the Death Eaters. He was fixated on the fact that they had been deceived by Snape. He wondered how much Snape knew about this plan.

Back to index


Chapter 24: Trusting Snape

Author's Notes: I feel so ashamed Leif betaed this chapter in four days and I couldn't find time to submit it for over a week. Sorry!


Albus Dumbledore removed the letter from the owl’s leg. The large Ministry owl flew off without waiting for a treat. Looking at the sender, Cornelius Fudge, he knew what he wanted. Fudge will want to make some sort of bluster about the escape from Azkaban to make it look like he was competent.

Opening the letter, he glanced over it. It was a simple letter requesting his presence at the Wizengamot in two hours. He would of course be there. He didn’t want to leave Cornelius and Lucius to do whatever they wanted without a fight. It bothered Albus that the request was for the Wizengamot and not his office, if he was just planning strategy. Hopefully, there wasn’t going to be some hasty trial. They didn’t need to start that practice again. It caused them enough grief in the last war.

Albus turned back to his desk and stared at the person sitting on the other side of it. Severus Snape was trying to avoid direct eye contact with Albus, without making it look that way. It was rather amusing to him. Albus kept his gaze on Severus while he sat down in his high back leather chair. He wasn’t going to use Leglimency on Severus.

If Severus can defy Voldemort’s attempt at Leglimency, than Albus doubted if he could crack through the same shields and there were other ways to determine if someone was lying.

“Did you know about the attack on Azkaban?” he asked Severus.

“Yes, I knew about it before,” he drawled impassively.

“Why didn’t you inform me about it?”

“You would have tried to stop it, exposing me to Voldemort,” Severus said back to him. “You have often said that I need to become one of Voldemort’s most trusted advisors, to do that he must first trust me. Trust isn’t an easy thing to gain from the Dark Lord.”

Albus sat back, removed his glasses, and pinched the bridge of his nose. Severus was right about gaining Voldemort’s trust, but there were limits to what he could allow Severus to keep from him. He needed to find out what Severus would divulge.

“You say you didn’t tell me about this attack because you needed to gain Voldemort’s trust. You also told me in the summer that you couldn’t inform me of an attack on the Burrow because it would have compromised your position. Tell me Severus, what would make you tell me what Voldemort is planning? Would it take an attack on the Ministry or Hogwarts? You will need to start revealing information and allow me to discern what is important enough for us to act upon.

“Even though I wouldn’t want the break out to happen, I would not have stopped it. You should have let me decide that.”

“Is this where you threaten me with going to Azkaban?” asked Severus calmly. “You told me earlier that I was expendable. Maybe it is time I think about what is best for me after the war is over. Do you really think you can win this war? I cannot see how that is possible. If you are placing all you confidence in Potter, you will fail. He is no match for the Dark Lord.

“The Dark Lord’s knowledge of magic has increased since his last demise,” said Severus with gritted teeth. He raised his left arm and allowed the sleeve to slide down his forearm revealing the Dark Mark. “He can sense his marked Death Eaters now. He has changed the spell slightly and he can tell when one of us is betraying him.”

Albus stared at the Dark Mark. He rubbed his chin as he thought about Severus’s claim. He couldn’t see how that was possible, but he supposed it could be done. If that is the case than Severus would be useless to him.

“How can he monitor all his Death Eaters at one time?” Albus asked Severus.

“I do not know, but I am also not willing to take the chance that he will find out.”

“Has he asked you about your plans to have me murdered?”

Severus cocked his head slightly to the side and stared at the Headmaster. “No!”

“Will you tell me about the plans, before you have me killed?”

Severus’s face twisted into a grimace as he stared at him. “I agreed to do that, but I haven’t been able to finalize a plan just yet.”

“Very well Severus, you may go, and please allow me a bit of warning when you plan to have me murdered by one of my own students,” Albus said indifferently.

He watched as Severus stood up and left his office. Albus didn’t know what to think right now. He looked over to a corner of the room and watched as the Potter family Invisibility cloak slid off Ginny Potter.

“He was lying to you almost the entire time, Headmaster,” said Ginny. “I don’t trust him completely.”

Albus stared straight forward not speaking. There seemed to be something a bit off about the way Severus was acting. He was pretty sure he was lying, but Ginny’s statement confirmed his suspicions. If he can no longer be trusted than he just became a major liability to the Order since he can enter Headquarters. He also had been given a Portkey

“Headmaster, he was lying about the Dark Mark,” said Ginny. “I don’t know why he was being deceitful concerning the Mark, but he wasn’t telling the entire truth. It might only be a slight lie, but it was still a lie.”

“I thought he was being dodgy,” said Albus with a sigh. He truly hoped that Severus would have remained loyal to him. “He can enter Headquarters and also he has a Portkey to our emergency location.”

“The Portkey isn’t a problem. He told Harry that the Death Eaters could force him to take several of them to the location with the Portkey. Harry set the location to Egypt. We can easily move Headquarters, but should we let Severus know we are changing Headquarters? What about his assignment to arrange your murder? Were you being serious when you asked for a little warning to your murder?”

“I was speaking half in jest and all in earnest,” he said chuckling. “I suppose if we move the actual headquarters. We could still hold meetings at Grimmauld place. If we can’t trust Severus, we should start feeding him misinformation. I wonder how forgiving the Dark Lord will be when Severus tells him something that would end up being a trap.”

“How many people should we let know about what we are doing with Severus?” asked Ginny.

“You, Harry, Remus, Bill, Minerva, Sirius, and Alastor should be kept informed,” said Albus.

“What about Madam Bones?”

Albus stared at this young girl. She was so mature for her age, and she was correct. “Yes, we should tell Amelia. We shall call a meeting and rethink what our next move will be. I need to go to the Ministry. The Owl I received was from the Minister. He wants me to attend a meeting at the Wizengamot.”

Ginny nodded at his statement. “While you are gone, I will talk to Harry about preparing the Potter Manor for the new Headquarters.” She turned and walked out of his office.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron Weasley was busy eating when Hermione elbowed him in the ribs causing him to nearly choke on his eggs. He coughed and nearly coughed up eggs all over the table.

“Blimey, Hermione are you trying to kill me,” he said to her.

“If you wouldn’t eat so fast, you wouldn’t choke,” she said waspishly. She then jerked her head in a strange way several times.

“Is there something wrong with your neck?” he asked.

Hermione rolled her eyes and sighed. “You are so thick at times, Ronald.”

“Neville is there something wrong,” she said to Neville as she leaned past Ron.

Ron turned to look at his dorm mate. He was glaring at the front page of the Daily Prophet. His face was pale, but his brow was furrowed as he glared at the paper that was held in his clenched fists.

“Yeah, there is something, all those Death Eaters breaking out last night. That is the first time anyone has ever broken out of the prison,” Ron said to Neville.

Neville lifted his head and saw everyone was staring at him. He immediately balled up the paper and left the great hall.

“Are you going to talk to him?” asked Hermione.

“Why would I do that?”

“Because he is obviously distressed over the break out,” Hermione said in her overbearing tone of voice.

“He’s a bloke,” replied Ron. He stuffed a piece of toast in his mouth.

“You’re an idiot, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn. Something is obviously upsetting him. Did he lose family in the last war to any of those Death Eaters?”

“I dun know,” he said with a mouth full of toast.

“Might I remind you that he has always supported and been a friend to you even last year,” she whispered in his ear.

He hated when she did that. Not only being right about something and making him feel guilty, but getting so close to him. He could feel his face get warm when she whispered in his ear. He swallowed his mouthful of toast and finished his goblet of pumpkin juice in one gulp before turning to Hermione. She was staring at him in disgust.

“Don’t you chew your food?”

“Not when I am interrupted,” he replied to her. “Let’s go find Neville.”

They walked out of the great hall. Ron turned to go up the stairs, but Hermione grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the doors leading outside.

“Why are we going outside?” he asked her.

“Because we are looking for Neville, and he will be going outside.”

“Why would he go there and not to his room?”

“Honestly Ronald, What is Neville’s favorite subject? It is Herbology. He is probably going out to the greenhouses,” Hermione lectured him as they opened the main doors.

Ron didn’t have time to respond to Hermione. They met Neville on the other side of the doors.

“Neville,” said Hermione brightly. Her condescending tone had vanished.

“I need to talk to you two,” Neville blurted out. He was standing there with the Daily Prophet crumpled up in his left hand. “I know you are getting extra training from your family Ron. I want to join you. I need extra training in defense.”

“Neville, you are pants at Defense,” replied Ron. Neville had problems with the simplest of spells.

“I don’t care I need training,” shouted Neville.

“There is no need to shout,” said a voice from behind them. Ron turned and saw Professor Lupin and Professor Black walking towards them. “Let us all go to Professor Weasley’s office and we can discuss this there,” said Lupin.

Professor Lupin then did something that seemed strange to Ron, he walked over to Neville and placed a hand on each of his shoulders. “How are you holding up Neville,” asked Professor Lupin gently. “I thought about you when I heard the news. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here. Your parents were wonderful people.”

“Thank you Professor,” said Neville with his face turning bright red.


[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore sat and listened to Cornelius Fudge rant about Amelia Bones for the past thirty minutes. He was blaming her for all the problems in the Ministry over the past year. After all that time, the Minister still hadn’t detailed any actual criminal intent in Amelia’s actions. Albus had enough.

“What are the exact charges against Madam Bones,” demanded Albus interrupting the Minister.

“That she is negligent in her duties and by doing so she has allowed this rash of escapes. I have been talking about that for the past thirty minutes, if you remember,” replied Cornelius sardonically. He and several others chuckled at his apparent slight at Albus’s memory.

“I remember you saying many things in the past thirty minutes Cornelius, but you never mentioned official charges. You have been talking about incompetence in the Ministry, which you are the Minister of, therefore it is your responsibility. As far as the breakout at Azkaban, you haven’t said how that happened. If you don’t know how that happened, than how can you accuse someone of criminal intent? If there is no criminal intent, then there can be no trial. If we are not here for a trial, then this is all a waste of our time, Cornelius. So please, present your case against Madam Bones, or allow all of us to get back to our regular duties.”

When Albus finished talking, he sat there and stared at Cornelius. The man looked as if his face would blow up like a puce colored balloon. His eyes were bulging and his mouth was moving but no words were coming out.

“I am the Minister of Magic,” he shouted at Albus.

“As the Minister you are bound to oversee the running of the Ministry and uphold the laws of this governing organization. I know this Minister, because I am the Supreme Mugwump of the Wizengamot and am charged with overseeing its polity and adherence to the laws it has created. As the Supreme Mugwump, I must insist that either you present formal charges or I will call this session to a close.

“If you still insist that Madam Bones is responsible for all of these beaches of security, it is within your powers as Minister of Magic to replace her as Head of Magical Law Enforcement. I personally find those accusations preposterous. It was proven that the previous breaches of security were in fact from the Magical Transportation Department, which Madam Bones does not oversee.

“This breakout last night at Azkaban is rather serious, but if we look back in the records of the Wizengamot we will find that five years ago Madam Bones and I suggested removing Dementors from Azkaban. You objected saying that they increased security at the prison. If my memory serves me correctly, the last human to stand guard at the prison goes off duty one hour before the breakout occurred. Is that correct?”

“Yes, you are correct Supreme Mugwump,” said Amelia.

“It appears that the Dementors were the ones that allowed the prisoners to escape. The same Dementors that you insisted stay at Azkaban against the advice of Madam Bones.”

Albus again stopped talking and stared at Fudge. The man was a pompous idiot. He was being manipulated by Malfoy and the Death Eaters and he didn’t even know it.

“The public will want answers to this latest breakout,” Cornelius shouted.

“Then tell them the truth. The Dementors allowed the prisoners to escape. You have people in the Ministry that can do that, but that is not the responsibility of the Wizengamot. If you have nothing else that requires the presence of this organization, than I believe we are done here.”

“No, I have nothing else,” said Fudge, as he sat back down.

“Good, let us follow proper procedures and have a motion to adjourn so I can go back to Hogwarts and see about increasing security.”

“I move that the meeting be closed,” said Amelia Bones. Several people chuckled at her speaking out so quickly.

“I second,” said a wizard from behind Albus.

“All in favor say aye,” he said to the Wizengamot He heard nearly everyone vote for adjournment. “Those opposed?” he called out. When no one voted against, he spoke again. “I call this session of the Wizengamot to a close. Madam Bones may I speak to you before I return to Hogwarts about increasing the security at the school?”

“Yes, Albus, I am going to my office now.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny sat and stared at Harry. He was sitting on their settee staring into the fireplace. She was beside him, but he barely acknowledged her presence. His eyes were bloodshot and there were dark circles under them. He looked as if he had aged ten years last night because he hadn’t slept at all. They had gone to bed at the same time and she had mentally reached out to comfort him as they both fell asleep. She was sure they had fallen asleep. Evidently he woke up without disturbing her.

She reached out and took his hand with hers. She tried to pour her comfort into him again to ease whatever it was that had him so upset. It didn’t matter what she did, he just sat their staring. He would still glance her way and give her a small smile. She was sure he even stared at her stomach for a second or two before turning back to stare at the fire.

“Are you going to tell me what is bothering you?” she asked her husband, after waiting fifteen minutes for a response.

“Just this mission we are on,” he said softly. “If we don’t defeat him quickly people are going to die.”

“I know, love. We are moving forward as quickly as we can. We have all the information we need to find his Horcruxes. We just need time to locate them and destroy them.”

Harry turned to look at her with a haunted look in his eyes. “Yeah, we need to do that,” he said rather morosely.

Ginny felt a chill run over her body; it wasn’t a feeling from Harry right now. It was his general attitude that scared her, and the secret she had been keeping from him.

“It will be difficult to destroy them if we are chasing his Death Eaters all over England to protect the innocent people from torture and death.” Harry had turned back towards the fire and spoke to her without looking at her.

“Harry didn’t you get any sleep last night?”

He didn’t respond immediately, but she could tell he heard her. His head drooped a little and he squeezed his eyes shut. He sat there for nearly a minute before replying.

“After you fell asleep, my headache came back. It wasn’t just a headache, I could hear him. I could hear Voldemort in my head and it was causing me pain. I had to use Occlumency to shut him out. It all started to add up. My headaches have always coincided with Voldemort’s activities. He must be able to enter my mind. The only way I can keep him out is to keep my mental wards up, but if I fall asleep, he can enter my mind. I can become a liability if he is able to extract the information from my mind that we have about his Horcruxes.”

Harry was nearly shaking with emotion. She could see he was frightened. He had figured it out that Voldemort was entering his mind and causing the severe headaches that he had been experiencing. He just had not figured out that Voldemort was able to do this because he was a Horcrux.

Ginny was at a loss to respond. She had no idea how to comfort him and get him to relax without telling him that she knew more about his situation than she had previously told him. If he thinks he is a Horcrux, then he might become reckless, or he may just give up the search and go into hiding. It was the one fear that she had because of his wealth and all the properties they owned. They could bounce around between estates and no one would ever be able to locate them. If Harry would ever decide to disappear and leave England to its own fate, no one could stop him, except her, and she couldn’t even blame him for doing that. The task they have is far too great for two teenagers.

The thought that they were teenagers made her smile. She may not know the best way to talk to him, but maybe if she could get him to smile he may relax and trust her.

“What are you smiling about?” he asked her.

She hadn’t been looking at him when thinking about them being teenagers, so his comments caught her by surprise. Maybe if she told him the truth.

“I was thinking about how impossible this task is that we have in front of us, especially since we are teenagers. Well, you are the teenager. I am still only twelve.” She stopped talking and stared at him. “And pregnant, not exactly model citizens are we. Whenever our child asks why they can’t date until sixteen when I was married and pregnant at twelve, it will be you responsibility to explain it.”

Harry raised his eyebrows at her before a smile graced his lips again. He rolled his eyes and shook his head. “If we survive, I will gladly take that responsibility.”

His smile disappeared and he became solemn again. “When we came back ready to fulfill this prophecy, I figured we could do it easily. However, Voldemort had already planned his resurrection.” He stopped talking and looked at Ginny for a second before he continued. “I never even considered we would be fighting against him. I just thought it would be us looking under rocks in England for his Horcruxes.”

Ginny laughed at the picture of them finding the Horcruxes under some rock in Voldemort’s backyard. She sniggered out loud when the image of them using some type of a dog to sniff out the Horcruxes popped in her head.

“Now what are you laughing about?”

“I just thought about us hunting Horcruxes,” she replied to him. “Is there a special dog to sniff them out?”

“Yeah, a Scottish Horcrux Hound,” laughed Harry.

“Love, I have sensed that there was a connection between you and Voldemort,” said Ginny. Harry stopped laughing and started to say something, but she held her hand up to halt him. “The connection isn’t as strong as you think. Something happened the night he tried to kill you, you have a connection with him. I can chase him out of your head by pushing happy loving thoughts into your mind. You can do the same thing.

“Harry, if you are so concerned about Voldemort gaining access to your mind, then keep your Occlumency wards up. You said he woke you because he caused you pain. You will always know when he has entered your mind. You can block them. If you need sleep, I can stay awake and keep him out of your mind for you.

“Harry, we are in this together. Together, we will defeat him,” she said to him. He smiled at her. It was the first time she saw true happiness on his face that morning.

“I am so lucky to have met and bonded with you,” he said to her. He leaned over and kissed her.

“Yeah, you certainly are lucky,” she teased him. “Why don’t we go to bed so you can get some sleep? Dumbledore wants to meet with all of us, but he won’t be back for several hours.”

“How did the meeting with Snape go this morning?” he said as he stood up and offered his hand to her.

“He is lying about things, but I couldn’t tell what he was lying about. He seems to have become rather uncooperative. He knew about the prison break, and justified not telling us by saying he needed to gain Voldemort’s trust.” Ginny sat at the head of the bed and pulled Harry down. “Lay your head on my lap.”

Harry did as he was told. She started running her fingers through his hair. She could feel him immediately relax. It only took a few seconds before he fell asleep.

“I never knew Snape to be cooperative,” murmured Harry as he fell asleep.

Ginny smiled at her sleeping husband. She never got the chance to tell him about moving headquarters to Potter Manor. She can tell him when he wakes up.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Why can’t Neville join us for the next training session?” Ron asked his brother Bill.

Bill was sitting behind his desk in his office. Professor Lupin and Professor Black were sitting against the wall to Bill’s left. Ron, Hermione, and Neville were sitting in front of Bill. They had just asked Bill about Neville joining the advanced Defense sessions.

Ron expected him to approve the idea without hesitation, but Bill didn’t respond positively or negatively. He just leaned back in his chair and stared at the three of them.

“Professor Weasley, I know I am not very good at Defense, but I am willing to learn. I will try harder,” said Neville.

“I am not hesitating at agreeing to this, because of your perceived lack of ability, Neville. After reading this morning’s paper, I am thinking about stepping up all of the defense courses. It won’t be nearly as intense as the advanced group, but I don’t think you will be the last person to ask for these advanced classes. We just don’t have enough room for our group to grow as large as the dueling club.”

“Minus the Slytherins,” said Ron interrupting his brother.

“I doubt if the Slytherins would be involved,” said Bill to Ron. “But! You never know what might happen. Let me talk to the Headmaster and get a feel for what we can do to prepare you for what might come.”

Bill leaned forward and softened his Professor persona. “Neville, I can understand what you may be going through with this breakout. We started this class specifically for my family members. This past summer there had been two attempts to murder my entire family. We had to do something to help Ron and our brothers defend themselves. I want to do the same for you. It isn’t as easy as saying sure the more the merrier, because of the...,” Bill stopped talking for a second before continuing. “…Ministry. I don’t trust the Ministry to do the right thing. They may try to stop us or send someone to oversee our training methods.

“I don’t want the Ministry and all of the bloody bureaucrats involved in my classroom. I will contact you when we can get something figured out. All right, Neville?”

Neville jumped to his feet. “Thank you sir.”

Ron snorted at someone talking to Bill that way. He still had a difficult time not calling him Bill in the classroom, but to hear people calling him, sir, was too funny.

“Is there something wrong, Mr. Weasley?” Bill asked him.

“No, nothing, Bi -er- Professor Weasley,” said Ron, as stood he up to leave the room.

He, Neville, and Hermione left Bill’s office. They walked quietly back to the common room. It was a Sunday morning so that didn’t need to go to class. Ron was trying to remember hearing about Neville’s parents or some other relative that was involved in the last war. In fact, he could not remember Neville talking about his parents, only his Gran and Uncle Algie. He must have lost his parents to some of the Death Eaters that escaped.

As they walked, a group of Hufflepuffs passed them. He started to wonder how Susan Bones was feeling about the escape. She had lost most of her family in the last war. She was another person that would want to improve their Defensive skills.

They had reached the common room without saying anything. Ron and Neville ran up to their dorm to get their books and homework to work on in the common room. They still hadn’t spoken since leaving Bill’s office.

“Ron, I would like to thank you for letting me talk with your brother,” Neville mumbled without making eye contact.

“I didn’t take you to Bill. Professors Lupin and Black did that,” replied Ron. He hesitated asking the question that had been bothering him. Neville seemed extremely nervous about something. He stood there by his bed shuffling his feet and occasionally glancing towards Ron.

“Nev…,” Ron started to ask, but Neville cut him off.

“The Lestranges, they…,” Neville started, but stopped talking for a few seconds. He suddenly started talking very fast. “They tortured my parents into insanity. They are in St. Mungos spell damage ward.”

Ron was shocked at what he heard. He figured it must have been Neville’s parents. “I am sorry to hear about your parents,” he said to Neville.

The two boys stood there and stared at each other and shuffled their feet for several seconds.

“I guess we should go back down to the common room. Hermione will be wondering where we are,” said Ron, finally. “I need to see if she would do my homework for me.”

Neville sniggered at his comment. “Good luck with that, Ron.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Alarms went off in Ginny’s bedroom. She and Harry jumped up with drawn wands at the noise. Someone had just broken into their living quarters.

“Oi, put those bloody wands down,” yelled Sirius.

He had his hands up in the air. Bill, Remus, and Dumbledore were standing behind him in their sitting room, while looking into the bedroom.

“Why did you break into our room?” croaked Harry. His voice was rough from just waking up from a deep sleep.

“We have been trying to get you for the past hour,” said Sirius. “We sent three Patronus messages, but you didn’t respond. Have you been sleeping this entire time?”

“What time is it?” Ginny asked them.

“It’s five in the evening,” said Bill. “We wanted to have a meeting in a half hour. What is wrong with you two?”

“I couldn’t sleep last night. Ginny was able to get me to fall asleep and she must have fallen asleep too,” said Harry. His wits seemed to be coming back to him. “What is the meeting about?”

“Are you sick Harry?” asked Professor Dumbledore.

Ginny could feel that Harry was nervous about telling the truth.

“No, I could not stop thinking about how much Voldemort advanced his cause in the past six months,” he said.

Ginny tried to contain the smile that was budding up inside of her. She was proud of Harry. He was able to give them true information without revealing all of his secrets. She could sense that Dumbledore wasn’t buying his explanation, but the other three weren’t so skeptical.

“I could have Madam Pomfrey give you some Dreamless Sleep Potion, if you are having trouble falling asleep,” offered the Headmaster.

“Thank you, but no, I will be fine,” replied Harry. “What is this meeting about?”

Dumbledore stared directly at Ginny making her feel a little nervous about not informing Harry about everything. At least, she cannot remember if she had informed him of everything.

“Some of the developments of the past twenty-four hours,” she said. “I wasn’t able to completely tell you everything, before we went for a kip.”

“Shall we go to my office and get everyone updated?” asked the Headmaster.

“Yes, we will follow you,” said Harry. He reached out his hand to her.

As she took Harry’s hand, she felt her stomach rumble from hunger. Being pregnant has increased her already active appetite. “Will you have anything to eat in your office?” she asked the Headmaster.

“I will have the House Elves bring us something,” the Headmaster responded.

“Thank…,” she started to reply, but she saw past them to the door of her and Harry’s living quarters. It was removed from the wall. It wasn’t just the door, but the entire frame. The door was still closed in the jamb, but the entire unit had been removed from their entrance way and was now leaning on the wall to the right of the doorway. “…What the Bloody Hell did you do to my door?”

“You need to use more than Locking Charms,” said Bill in a Professor’s style of voice. “Impertubles will extend beyond the door and jamb to the wall itself. We couldn’t get the Charm on the door to release, but luckily we were able to remove the entire unit.”

Ginny stood there and stared at her older brother. He didn’t seem the least bit apologetic that he ripped her door and its frame off the wall.

“A brilliant solution, if I say so myself,” said Sirius. “I would have probably blasted the door and the wall down to get in here.”

Ginny blinked at Sirius’ comment. They all seemed to think this was something humorous. “Can you fix it?” she asked her brother, while holding back her anger. She will just wait until the next time they are dueling to extract her revenge.

“I will have it reset and in place in a couple waves of my wand,” said Bill.

They waited until Bill had replaced her door before going to the Headmasters office. The Headmaster had gone ahead, but Sirius and Remus waited with them. She stood holding Harry’s hand while watching Bill repair the door. She could feel his emotions, so he wasn’t using his Occlumency shields. She also could feel that he wasn’t in any pain, which was good because Voldemort wasn’t trying to enter his mind.

“What is this meeting about?” asked Remus. He was looking at Harry.

“I don’t know. I imagine the breakout last night,” he replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

“That was obvious,” said Bill. “Ginny, what happened this morning?”

“Wait for the meeting,” she said. She could tell that there were people near her. They were probably in classrooms or broom closets, but she didn’t want to say anything secret in the hallways. Here it wasn’t only the people that could pass along information but also the portraits.

They walked the rest of the way to the Headmasters office in silence. They were greeted by the Headmaster, Madam Bones, Professor McGonagall, and Alastor Moody. There was also a tray of sandwiches and a pitcher of pumpkin juice.

Ginny grabbed a couple of sandwiches and poured herself some pumpkin juice before sitting down. Harry grabbed a sandwich and sat beside her. He took a sip of her pumpkin juice and smiled at her. It was a simple act, but it made her feel good that his depression and fear was under control.

“Now that everyone is together, we have some important things to discuss,” said the Headmaster. “The breakout at Azkaban is the most important item, but there are many other complications that came to the surface in the past twenty-four hours.”

The Headmaster made eye contact with Ginny. She could sense that several others in the room saw that. Harry was one of them. His anxiety spiked at that exact moment.

“What else has happened since last night?” asked Moody. It sounded more like a demand.

“I was almost sent to Azkaban, if Fudge had had his way,” said Madam Bones.

“What are you talking about?” responded Moody.

“Fudge tried to blame me for the breakout and the other incidents this summer with prisoners not making it to Azkaban. Albus defended me brilliantly,” she said with admiration in her voice.

“Yes, Cornelius was trying to convince the Wizengamot that Amelia was corrupt and working with Voldemort. It was easy to defeat his charges.”

Moody, Sirius, and Remus all laughed at the Headmaster’s comment.

“Fudge is barmy, if he thinks Amelia would ever help Voldemort,” laughed Moody. “I can’t believe he would even consider such a charge.”

“He is being influenced by Lucius,” said Amelia.

“Is he under an Imperious Curse?” asked Moody.

Madam Bones and Albus Dumbledore stared at each other for several seconds. Albus was the first to speak. “I didn’t see any of the normal signs of being Imperioused.”

“I haven’t either,” said Madam Bones. “I just think he is a power hungry idiot.”

Ginny chuckled at her comment. Madam Bones had always said everything politically correct. It must have been her years working in the Ministry. Except now, she referred to the Minister as an idiot.

“That really isn’t anything we didn’t know before,” said Remus. Sirius and Moody laughed even harder. “I didn’t mean to make a joke about it or downplay what he tried to do to you Madam Bones, but we have always known that he was a puppet. What else have we discovered, and how many Death Eaters actually escaped?”

“Only five, Rodolphus, Rabastan, and Bellatrix Lestrange, Antonin Dolohov, and Augustus Rookwood,” said Madam Bones. “He left over thirty of his followers still locked up inside.”

“Why would he do that?” asked Harry.

“Voldemort had an inner circle of Death Eaters; his most trusted followers. Those five were members of his inner circle,” said the Headmaster.

“Was Snape part of the inner circle?” Harry asked the Headmaster.

“No he wasn’t, he hadn’t been a member that long when you defeated Voldemort the last time.”

Everything seemed to fall into place for Ginny. She just figured out why he was acting like he was this morning. The breakout changed his status with Voldemort. She didn’t remember saying anything when she realized this, but everyone was now looking at her.

“Yes, Mrs. Potter,” the Headmaster said to her.

“It makes sense now why Severus was acting the way he was this morning,” she announced. “If Voldemort is reorganizing his inner circle and pushing Snape out of it, he must do whatever possible to regain his trust. That was why he didn’t tell us about the prison breakout.”

“You are telling me that Snape knew about the breakout and didn’t warn us?” asked Sirius. He looked angry enough to walk out of the meeting and find Snape.

“He said he did it to gain Voldemort’s trust. Mrs. Potter is correct. Severus would have gone along with the plan to regain the trust of Voldemort and the ones he broke out of prison. As far as trusting Severus, remember that we keep secrets from him. He still doesn’t know he is being monitored. That is the nature of the spy business. Everyone keeps secrets from others.

“Mrs. Potter have you had time to discuss with you husband the plans to move Headquarters?”

“No,” Ginny felt slightly embarrassed.

“What plans to move Headquarters?” barked Moody.

“Harry,” said Ginny a little nervously. If she would have approached him under different circumstances she was sure that he would approve of the move, but he must completely agree with the use of Potter Manor for Bill to rework the wards. “The Headmaster wants to move Headquarters. I suggested Potter Manor in Scotland.”

He raised a single eyebrow at her suggestion. “I suppose if we can work with those wards to get everyone through. What about Snape? I am not sure I want to allow him access to the Manor.”

“We were thinking about still using Grimmauld place for the meetings. The map would be moved to Potter Manor and we would relocate the Brandenburgs and Proudfoot there.”

“Brilliant, Snape would never gain access to our main Headquarters,” exclaimed Sirius. “We could start large scale training exercises at the manor. It has enough land with it that we could really create some realistic battle scenes. I think it is a brilliant move.”

“Excuse me,” said Madam Bones. “I thought your parent’s home was destroyed when you first defeated the Dark Lord.”

“Yes, the house we were living in was destroyed, but that wasn’t the only place the Potters owned at the time.”

“I think the move would be advantageous,” said Remus. “We could have full access to your family library. We could start extensive training at your facilities. The Ministry wouldn’t be able to detect anything we are doing. I am assuming that you would be bringing Order members back to England through the Manor, so that would make that process easier. We wouldn’t want to Portkey Order members onto the property. The Ministry can track Portkeys. The final question, is do you want to allow Mundungus Fletcher access to that manor?”

Sirius laughed out loud and slapped Remus on the back. “That bloody thief will try to nick everything in the house. Hell, his heart might explode from excitement.”

“You have some valuables in the house?” asked Madam Bones.

“A few,” said Harry. “I can always assign a House Elf to follow him around. I am concerned about the wards. I don’t know how to alter them to allow people through. Bill, do you have any suggestions?”

Bill sat there with an expression of deep concentration on his face. It took several seconds for him to respond. “I can’t tell you right now, they are the most complex wards I have ever seen. I think you and Ginny can allow people access to the manor by escorting them through the wards and saying they are permitted to enter the manor. The Wards will respond to your commands, but be sure that both of you mean it. I will do some research and try to find how they made the wards.”

“What type of ward is that you are talking about,” asked the Headmaster. “Why not use a Fidelius Charm?”

“These wards are stronger than a Fidelius,” said Bill. “I started researching them, but ran into a couple of snags that I haven’t had time to sort through. Hopefully, over Christmas I will have time.”

“What do we do until then?” asked Moody.

“I think Harry could possibly move everyone from Grimmauld Place to the Manor this weekend,” said Bill. “I do know that if both Harry and Ginny allow someone through the wards, they shall be able to pass through them alone, but no one with them will gain access.”

Ginny, Harry, Remus, and Sirius all chuckled at Bill. He had tried to bring a witch into one of the estates in France. He passed through the Wards while holding her hand, but she was trapped in the Wards. They wouldn’t release her until Harry and Ginny said in unison to release her. It ruined his plans that night.

“That isn’t good,” stated Moody. “What do we do if we need to take someone there to hide? Will we need to introduce them to the Potters so they can enter the place? I would like to see a Fidelius Charm in place. The Potters can be the secret keepers, but we can take people onto the property without revealing to them where they are and tell people where the Headquarters are located.”

Ginny could sense Harry’s hesitation at changing the wards. “Can we work with the Wards we have now? After Bill has had a chance to work with them, we will revisit the possibility of changing to a Fidelius Charm.”
“Do we have the plans to relocate Headquarters properly discussed?” asked Bill.

“I believe so,” said the Headmaster. “Is there something you need to bring up?”

“Yes, I would like to increase the intensity of the Defense Classes,” he said. “I am not sure how the board of Governors would react to my plans. I want to eliminate the dueling club and use the great hall for spell casting practice. Many of the students don’t really have a chance to improve their techniques casting spells legally. If we allow them to use the great hall in the evening, they would have an opportunity to improve. I wouldn’t be teaching them anything new, but just giving them a chance to hone their spells casting. I was thinking that we could have them work on Charms and Transfiguration also, if Professors Flitwick and McGonagall approve.”

No one spoke for several seconds, Ginny could sense Bill was getting nervous. “I think it is a brilliant idea,” she said trying to encourage him. “Are we still going to have advanced sessions once or twice a week?”

“I don’t know. I would like to pick out a few high risk individuals beside my family for advanced classes. Headmaster, what do you think of my idea?”

“I think it is logical considering that these children will need to prepare for a war, even though they are under age. I am not sure what the Board of Governors will say. Lucius Malfoy sits on that board. There is an even split right now. If one of my supporters should shift his allegiance…”

“I will use my right to vote on the board,” said Harry. “The Potters have a permanent seat on that board. I just have never used my right to vote. I like the idea, Bill. If the Headmaster doesn’t object and the other Professors agree, you have my support.”

Madam Bones started laughing. “Fudge is going to become paranoid that you are trying to form an army, Albus. You and an army of children seem to scare him more than the dark lord.”

Ginny watched as a sad expression formed on the Headmaster’s face. What Madam Bones said was true, and it was disturbing. The Minister would probably be more concerned about children learning how to defend themselves, than stopping Voldemort from taking over Britain.

Back to index


Chapter 25: Hunting

Author's Notes: This chapter has been a long time coming, but I was finally able to find the time to write it. There are several differences from canon as they collect and destroy Horcruxes. Hope you enjoy it,because my Beta, Leif, worked very hard to get this chapter presentable.


William Weasley watched as Albus Dumbledore stood up after breakfast on the first Saturday after the breakout at Azkaban. It had been announced in the common rooms that the Dueling Club had been terminated to allow time to tutor students in spell casting. The announcement was posted on Tuesday morning and by noon. Bill had received almost twenty complaints from various students. They wanted to duel each other not just work on their spell casting. It wasn’t surprising that the complaints were coming from sixth and seventh year students. He had just as many comments and questions from younger students who didn’t want to participate in the dueling club, because of a lack of skill.

“All of those who wish to work on your spell casting are to remain in the great hall. All others can return to their common rooms, library, or other appropriate places to…,” he stopped and looked at the twins. “,…study.”

The twins laughed at his comment. They had been some of the older students who complained to Bill about the cancellation of the dueling club. Once he explained the reason for the change, they were in full support of the tutoring. They even said they would help with the younger students.

Over two thirds of the students stood up to leave. Almost all of them were fifth year and older. It seemed that the entire Slytherin table stood up to leave, except about a dozen students that were first and second year. When the older Slytherins saw them still sitting they stood over them and glared until they also stood up and left. After all the students left the great hall, there were only half as many as would usually participate in the dueling club.

Bill was a little discouraged at this development. However, the students who needed the most help were the ones that remained. That gave him some hope that this would be a worthwhile effort.

The Headmaster looked out over the remaining students. “For all of those who remain, I give you your Defense Professor William Weasley.”

Bill stood up and looked at the Professors Flitwick and McGonagall. They had agreed to assist him along with Remus and Sirius. Harry and Ginny would be here, but this morning they had another assignment.

“Welcome, I hope you all have your wands. We are going to start out with simple spells by year. Depending on how well you do as a group will determine how fast we progress. You will be casting spells at inanimate objects, at first,” he stopped talking when he heard an audible gasp. “There are spells that you can’t learn by shooting them at a target, but you will not be learning any dark or dangerous magic during this tutoring. For the older students, I will be asking your help with the younger students, but you will also be getting a chance to practice more advanced spells. Are there any questions?”

Susan Bones raised her hand. She had an uncertain look on her face.

“Yes, Miss Bones,” he acknowledged her.

“Are the younger students going to be learning more advanced magic?” she stood up and asked.

“That would depend on how well they master the simple spells. You will be present when the older students are working on their spells. If you would want to try them, then I will discuss this with the other Professors. We do not want anyone to get hurt.”

Susan stayed standing; her face became pink before she blurted out another question. “Is this class because of the breakout last weekend?”

Even though no one else was talking before she asked the question, the great hall seemed to become quieter.

“Yes, the people who escaped the prison are cruel and would not hesitate harming anyone in this room. We want to make sure you can protect yourself and your friends. You are not being trained to become an army to attack the Death Eaters, but to protect yourself if you ever find yourself caught up in this approaching war.”

There was a loud sigh and a soft “that’s disappointing” from the Ravenclaw table. Bill and everyone else turned to stare at Luna Lovegood. “I think you would be a good general along with Harry and Ginny. We will need to form an army because we not only have to worry about the Death Eaters, but Fudge’s Heliotropes.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones appeared in front of a building that could be classified as a palace by Muggles. Harry had Apparated her and Alastor to Potter manor. She had been to many different manor houses during her life. This one was one of the largest she has ever seen. It was also one of the most beautiful. So many wizards and witches seemed to prefer stone or dark exterior wood. This massive three story building with its white walls and trim looked so simple and elegant. When she was a little girl and imagined marrying and moving into her dream home, the home looked like this one.

The second thing that caught her attention was the bitter cold wind, the salty air, and the thrum of the sea breaking against the shore. She tore her eyes away from the building to look at the grounds. The shore was only about a quarter mile away from them on each side. They were on a small peninsula that disappeared in the grey morning mist.

Ginny Potter, Proudfoot, and the Brandenburg family appeared without a sound a few feet away. Harry and Ginny used they magical connection to Apparate the group. It wasn’t Apparition since they never turned and there wasn’t that distinctive pop when they appeared. Everyone acknowledged each other with a nod or eye contact, before anyone spoke.

“Shall we go inside,” Ginny said politely.

“About time,” Alastor grumbled under his breath to Amelia. “They could’ve Apparated us inside to begin with.”

Harry took his wife’s arm and led them all to the front door of the manor. They didn’t respond to or they didn’t hear Alastor’s grumbling. He held the door open for them as Ginny entered the manor first. Amelia allowed the Brandenburgs to enter before her and Alastor waited until she entered before stepping inside. In the few short minutes that it took to get inside she was already chilled to the bone and shivering.

The entrance hall was warm and at the far end of the hall was a massive fireplace that had to be nearly six feet tall by twelve feet wide. A female House Elf asked for her traveling cloak. Amelia removed it and the Elf cast a Charm to dry it before levitating it into a large closet on the side of the landing. It wasn’t until after the Elf had walked away that she noticed it was wearing clothes. She looked at the other House Elf and noticed it too was wearing clothes.

“Welcome to Potter Manor,” Harry said officially. “Let us go eat. The dining room is off the right.”

The Potters led the way. Amelia was looking at the furnishings and they were all very elegant and tasteful. It was obvious they were also very expensive, but something was bothering her about the place. If this was the Manor house of the Potters, then where were the portraits of Harry’s ancestors? Every Pureblood family she ever saw always had portraits of their ancestors lining the walls.

When she walked into the dining hall, which was nearly half the size of the great hall at Hogwarts, she had another surprise. There were seven House Elves all dressed and sitting at the main dining table. There were ten different tables in the room that could easily seat over a hundred people. The main table sat parallel to a wall with four large windows that looked out upon the grounds.

There was a variety of food in platters sitting on the long table. There was a white table cloth covering the tables and linen napkins at each place setting. Harry and Ginny stood at the table and stared at her, Alastor, Proudfoot, and the Brandenbergs.

“I can see you are a bit surprised to see our friends eating with us,” said Harry.

“We don’t have House Elves as slaves. They are workers and friends to us,” Ginny said. “If you wish to stay in our home and on our land you must agree to treat them as you would a human. If you cannot do that than you may leave.”

“I don’t have a problem with that, but some of our associates may have some issues with it,” said Moody.

“Then they can find another place of sanctuary,” said Harry. “This war isn’t only about the human race of magical beings. The House Elves and goblins also have a stake in this war. Voldemort will have no reservations about getting dark creatures to aid in his conquest. We should also be as welcoming. The Potter family has had alliances with the goblins and House Elves that span centuries. I plan on upholding that tradition.”

“I am little surprised at seeing House elves in clothes and at the table,” Amelia said. “I always thought you all enjoyed being slaves.”

“We all enjoy being of service and take pride in a job well done,” said the eldest House Elf. “We are all different much like your race. I am the fourth generation of my family that has been employed by the House of Potter. All of us are descendants of free Elves, and we are all proud of that fact, and proud to serve the House of Potter of our own free will.”

The old Elf finished with a swell of pride in his voice. The others elves all nodded in agreement. They all looked at Harry and Ginny with respect and admiration. She never realized that any of the ancient Houses had alliances with House Elves and Goblins. She will need to investigate this.

“Let us tuck in,” said Ginny gleefully.

Everyone sat down around the table and started to eat. She didn’t eat much because she had too much on her mind. She wanted to know what other rules and guidelines they would have in this house. She was also curious about the library that Remus Lupin spoke about. He spoke as though it was the largest library in the England. After seeing the size of this house she could believe it.

“Ginny and I will need to leave in a few minutes. We have other things we need to do today. I will ask each of you. Do you agree to the terms of staying here? Will you treat the house elves with respect and promise to keep what you see here a secret from others who haven’t been here?”

Amelia thought it was a strange type of an oath. He had brought them all here, so she assumed that they could pass through the wards of their own free will. Yet, when she agreed, she could feel a weight lift off her shoulders that she hadn’t felt before.

“You all may leave if you wish and reenter the wards, but you cannot bring anyone with you that we haven’t approved,” said Ginny with a smile. She turned to the Brandenburgs. “You may choose any bedrooms in this house to set up residence. Auror Proudfoot, you may choose after they have chosen. The only rooms that are off limits are Harry’s and my suite on the third floor, and the basement is the House Elves.”

“If you have any questions please ask the House Elves,” said Harry. “We must be leaving. I do have one more warning. If you are outside on the grounds do not go past the hedgerow. If you come to a Muggle road, you have left the grounds and are outside of the wards. There are also small caves on the grounds. Please do not go in them, but if you do; be very careful.”

Harry and Ginny stood up. They were getting ready to leave, when they stopped. “I almost forgot. You cannot Apparate into the house. Only house Elves can move in and out of this building.”

“Another layer of protection?” Moody asked.

“Yes, it is,” answered Harry.

“Good,” Moody grunted back at them.

The Potters were halfway across the dining hall when Ashley Brandenburg took off running after them. Amelia smiled as the little girl hugged them both and said goodbye to them. The House Elves started to clean up the breakfast dishes. Constance Brandenburg offered to help. To Amelia’s surprise the House Elves permitted her to help them. The eldest female House Elf struck up a conversation with Constance and the left the dining hall.

“I am going outside,” said Alastor.

“Are you going to find your room?” she asked Proudfoot.

“I am, but I want a map of this place so I don’t get lost,” he said as he walked away.

Gabriel Brandenburg ran off after his daughter. Amelia smiled at the young family. She wanted to explore this house, but for different reasons. This house was missing something. It didn’t look like some ancient manor house that had been in a wealthy family for centuries. She wanted to find the Potter history. She remembered meeting Harry’s grandfather when she was young. She had always heard the Potters were wealthy and influential, but she never knew from where they received their wealth. She never heard any of the old wealthy families speaking about a manor house this grand. Her mother was the epitome of a socialite witch, and she would have spoken about a house this grand.

As she reentered the entrance hall, she turned to her right. There was a large set of stairs that ascended to the next floor. The house had three floors, but the staircase seemed to end at the second floor. She walked around them and turned to find a small wall that extended from the side of the fireplace to form an archway. She stepped through the arch only to find another arch set off the left forming a small room. The formal ballroom was though this next archway. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling that was made of a mosaic of white, blue, and green tiles. The entire room seemed to sparkle with the only gray light coming through the many windows. She could only imagine what this place must look like with all the candles burning in the chandeliers. She walked along the walls looking at the art on the walls. There were many different paintings. Many were magical and moved within their frames, but none of them had a placard indicating who the subject was in the frame.

After several hours of exploring the house she was able to find the library. It was an amazing place but it wasn’t as large as Hogwarts’ library. She found herself a little disappointed. There were many books, but they seemed to be rather eclectic in their selection. She ran into Moody again on the second floor. He was looking around to see where he could put the map to track Death Eaters, and set up a communication center.

“What do you think about this place?” Alastor asked her. His magical eye was spinning in all directions.

“I find it interesting that a family would have such a grand house, but not live in it. It shows no sign of anyone actually living here for years.”

“This isn’t a bloody house. It is a fortress. The walls have been magically strengthened. The design of the house prevents anyone from easily overthrowing it. A handful of skilled wizards could defend this house against a hundred attackers. The little caves that Harry spoke of are bunkers filled with Muggle weapons. The bunkers are large enough to house twenty soldiers in each. You can barely see the openings until you are practically upon them. This place was designed for one sole purpose and that is to repel a massive attack by thousands.”

“Is that what Harry and Ginny have been doing when they had dropped out of sight for those two years?”

“I don’t think so,” replied Alastor. He scratched his chin as he thought. “Some of these protections seem old. They even said they don’t understand the wards completely. I also don’t think they could have done all this in such a short period of time. This building was warded as it was built.” He tapped his magical eye. “I have never seen such deep protections except for at Hogwarts. We know those protections were set with the stones.”

“Why would a family invest so much money into building such a grand place to turn it into a fortress? Were there any conflicts that the Potters were involved in that would warrant such protections?”

“I don’t know, Amelia, but I am damn glad the Potters built it. It makes me feel safe setting up camp here. It is even large enough to hold large scale training exercises.”

The rest of the day Amelia spent at the manor. She spoke with several of the House Elves about the Potter family, but the more she heard about them the less she understood. It appeared that no one had lived in this house full time for almost eighty years. The House had been constructed over four hundred years ago, and it took nearly twenty years to build. There were both wizard and House Elf protections cast on it as it was being constructed. She wanted to ask the Potters if they knew the reason why this house was built with so much security, but she doubted they would tell her.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry held Ginny’s hand as they walked up the stairs of Grimmauld Place. Sirius and Remus were right behind them as the approached the meeting room. They had had a very busy day today. Ginny and he had opened up Potter Manor to the Order of Phoenix. Sirius and Remus had helped Bill with the new training for spell casting at Hogwarts.

They spent the last six hours looking for Horcruxes. It seemed that they should have been doing this a month ago, but circumstances never allowed them time to start the hunt.

“You’re late,” drawled Severus Snape, when they entered the meeting room.

“You are irrelevant, Snivellus,” responded Sirius. “The Headmaster knew we might be running late.”

“At least I am doing something important, rather than teach children to wave a wand.”

The entire room seemed to go silent at Snape’s comment. Most everyone in the room knew that everyone in the magical community would be in danger if Voldemort took over, even the children.

“Enough,” said the Headmaster. “Now that we are all here, Severus, you can report what you have learned about the Dark Lords activities.”

Harry was sitting against the far wall of the room with his three late arriving companions. Severus stood up and looked around the room with a bored expression at everyone. Harry was amazed at the nerve of this man. He looked as if he had no remorse for deceiving them.

“As you all know, the Dark Lord deceived me and planned a diversion to break his most trusted servants out of Azkaban,” he said with an oily voice.

Several people grumbled and Harry was sure he heard Alastor mumble “bollocks”. Snape just continued on as if no one had spoken. He had to realize that no one in the room trusted him.

“At the present time the Dark Lord seems to be more interested in getting those he broke out healthy rather than planning any more attacks. When he reveals any of his plans to me, I will pass that information on the Headmaster.”

“Why did he leave so many of his followers behind in prison?” asked Arthur Weasley.

“The Dark Lord does not share his reasons with me. I only report what he cares to share with me.” When no one else asked any questions, Snape turned and left the room.

The room remained silent until they could hear the front door close. Protests erupted from all over the room. No one believed that Severus didn’t know about the breakout of Azkaban. It took Albus a good ten minutes to calm everyone down enough to have the meeting to reconvene. The Headmaster stood in front of everyone looking tired and defeated.

“We must assume that Severus Snape could compromise our mission and our present location,” he said with a grave voice. “Because of that, we are in the process of moving the actual location of the headquarters. Amelia or Alastor do you want to report what you found.”

Alastor jumped up and started talking before Amelia could say a word. “It is perfect Albus. I couldn’t design a better place to have our Headquarters. I think it is even safer and more impenetrable than Hogwarts. With some help,” he turned and looked at Harry. “I want to move everything out tonight.”

Amelia looked at Alastor in disbelief. “The location is fantastic,” she said, taking over for Moody. “I will say that it is as welcoming and comfortable of a place as this is dirty and dark.”

“That’s my family they are talking about,” whispered Sirius to Remus. They sat beside Harry so he overheard and it brought a smile to his face.

“Yeah, and they only scratched the surface with the darkness,” replied Remus with a smile.

“Yeah, it is almost as if there was an evil presence lurking in the bloody walls. I am not talking about Kreacher,” Sirius whispered as people questioned Alastor and Amelia about the new Headquarters.

Harry was happy that Moody and Bones didn’t reveal that it was Potter Manor just yet. He wanted to talk to everyone where Ginny could get a read on their emotions and trustworthiness.

“We need another week before opening the new Headquarters to everyone,” said the Headmaster. “We can trust that Voldemort isn’t ready to make a move on the Ministry yet.” People started to object to which he raised his hand to calm everyone. “Even if he does, everyone who has the special Portkeys can still utilize them the same as planned, and rest assured that Severus’ is set for a different location from all of the rest of ours.”

There seemed to be an inaudible sigh in the room as everyone relaxed.

The next hour was filled with reports of various things happening with the Order. The recruitment had picked up since the breakout. Many of the new people who wanted to join were family members of the children getting the extra training.

It was reported that Fudge was already starting to question why these children need to receive extra training. One of the maintenance men noticed a memo in Delores Umbridge’s desk asking her to look into it. Several of the Ministry employees groaned at hearing her name. Evidently, she was a bureaucratic nightmare.

No one reported anything unusual from the Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade. Several people stated that there have been rumblings about Ministry involvement in the lack of Bicorn Horn. Amelia Bones asked who was grumbling and why they needed Bicorn Horn. Harry smiled at the MLE coming out in her.

“I would say that if someone could locate any we could greatly increase the financial situation of this here organization,” said Mundungus Fletcher, who quickly shrunk back into his hole in the corner of the room at Amelia’s glare.

“I never knew that a lack of Bicorn Horn would create such a stir,” said the Headmaster, with a slight smile on his lips. “I was contacted by the Ministry and was told that any Bicorn Horn that we do not need for this year’s Potion classes must be turned over immediately. They seemed most disappointed to hear that we had had only enough for our NEWT classes. Is there anything else that needs to be discussed tonight?”

No one spoke up. “I call this meeting to a close. We shall see everyone in a week.”

Harry received a hug from his mother-in-law and a quick handshake from Arthur before they went home. Just before he left room, Moody caught up with him.

“Harry, we need to move the map tonight. I was going to put it in the massive room with the chandeliers.”

“Oh no, you are not,” growled Amelia Bones. “Harry, he wants to destroy your ballroom. Isn’t there another room that will work?”

“What, are you planning on having grand balls while we are fighting Voldemort? We are at war woman.”

Harry saw a major war forming in front of him and tried to stop it before it started. “The map and communication center can go in the den. Let’s go and move it now before you two start firing spells at each other.”

“I’ll see you at Hogwarts when you are finished Harry,” said the Headmaster with smile on his lips.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Early Sunday morning, six figures appeared in a wooded lane by the town of Little Hangleton. Upon appearing, the popping sound they made sent several birds flying away from shrubs surrounding them. They stood motionless for several seconds until one pulled his wand and cast a Charm.

“I don’t think there were any Detection Charms,” said Bill.

“Bill and I will lead the way to the cabin,” said Albus Dumbledore.

Harry took Ginny’s hand and fell in behind Bill and the Headmaster. Remus and Sirius walked behind them. Ginny was looking at the Headmaster and then at Harry with a strange expression. He had a feeling that she was getting a funny feeling from the Headmaster.

The decrepit cabin stood in a copse of trees. Many years ago it was in a small clearing, now it was barely visible from the high weeds and the young trees growing up around it. The Headmaster seemed to pick up his pace towards the cabin. Ginny again gave Harry that strange look again. He was sure what it was about this time. The Headmaster was getting too excited.

“Professor Dumbledore, please slow down,” said Harry. “We don’t want to trip any traps.”

“I thought you said you were here yesterday afternoon. There shouldn’t be any traps.”

“What if we tripped one that we don’t know about and he came back and reset them. Let us be careful, for all of our sakes,” he pleaded with the elderly wizard. Harry glanced down at Ginny’s stomach. He was mostly concerned for her and their unborn child.

Albus Dumbledore slowed his pace down as they approached the cabin. Everything looked the same as yesterday. The thing that bothered Remus, Sirius, Ginny, and him about yesterday was the lack of spells cast in the area. The only spells they were able to detect were inside of the cabin. It seemed too easy. Certainly Voldemort would have put up better protections around one of his Horcruxes?

Bill cast a spell at the door of the cabin. “It looks clear. No wards keeping us out. Did you pick anything up, Headmaster?”

Albus Dumbledore also cast a spell around the front of the cabin. He seemed to hesitate and stroked his beard several times before responding. “I don’t detect anything that would prevent us from entering the cabin. You are correct Harry it seems almost too easy. Bill and I will enter first. Don’t come in unless we call for you.”

Harry watched as they shifted the door slightly open. Harry thought he saw the entire cabin shift with the movement of the door. Bill stepped inside first while casting Charms. The Headmaster followed close behind. It only took a minute for them to call out that it was safe.

Remus and Sirius stepped in before Harry and Ginny. When he finally saw the inside of the cabin, he really doubted that it was going to withstand their combined weight. The ceiling had rotted through in several locations. There was a small tree growing up through the floor towards one of the openings. Bill and Albus were kneeling on the floor staring at a floorboard. It looked like the only solid section of floor in the cabin.

“I can only detect one Charm under the floorboards,” Bill said the Albus.

“That is all I can detect too.”

“Was this one of the first Horcuxes he hid?”

“I do believe it was. That could explain his lack of more sophisticated protections. I’ll remove the floorboards and you can work on the Charm.” With flick of his wand, Albus lifted two floorboards revealing a small box hidden below.

Bill started waving his wand and whispering spells to reveal the spell construct of the Charm that was placed on the Horcrux. Several Runes appeared glowing in the air over the box. Bill touched one of them with his wand and they all disappeared. He cast another spell on the small box, as Albus reached his hand in to grab it.

“No,” shouted Bill. Sirius was the closest to the Headmaster. He grabbed the back of his robes and pulled him backwards keeping the box out of reach of his hand.

“There is another spell on the box or the ring,” Bill said emphatically.

He cast several more detection spells at the little box. It seemed like he couldn’t decide which the spell had been cast upon. “Everyone stand back, I am going to do something dangerous here,” Bill said. “Harry and Ginny get your shield ready. Everyone stand together, when I cast a Reducto on the box. Get that shield up.”

Harry held Ginny tight to him. He could feel the shield forming already. Bill gave him a look and he had to relax so the shield wouldn’t prevent Bill from either casting the spell or from him getting inside the area of the shield. Harry focused on feeling safe, even though he was afraid for Ginny’s safety. He could feel the magic to create the shield welling up inside of him.

“All right, he we go,” said Bill. “Reducto!”

As soon as Harry heard the spell being cast, he released the magic that created the shield. A silvery dome formed around everyone. However, it appeared to be unnecessary. The spell didn’t create any havoc. It simply split the little box into several pieces revealing the ring with the Resurrection Stone set in it.

“Well that was rather anticlimactic,” laughed Sirius, after Harry dropped the shield. “Let’s destroy it and move on to the next one.”

“How were you planning on destroying it?” Albus asked.

“A chisel and basilisk venom,” replied Sirius cheekily. He was holding a chisel and a hammer. Remus pulled a vial of basilisk venom.

Albus stared at the chisel with a look of horror. “Must we destroy it?”

“Professor Dumbledore, it is a Horcrux,” said Ginny. “It must be destroyed if we are going to win this war.”

Albus stared at the ring for several seconds. There was a longing in his eyes as he stared at the ring made with the Resurrection Stone.

“We know it is one of the Deathly Hollows, Professor,” said Harry. “The legend is just that, a legend. They were magical articles created by the Peverell brothers. You recognized my family’s cloak as one, and we have noticed that you are using the third one.”

Albus Dumbledore stared at Harry in shock. “How do you know all this?”

“I am a direct descendant of the Peverell’s. I have records of the creation of these items and also the exploits of the three brothers. Professor Dumbledore, we should never use the Resurrection Stone. It and your wand have a history of suffering associated with them. I am amazed that the wand hasn’t turned even you dark, as it had everyone before you.”

The Professor lifted the wand and stared at it for a second. A slight smile appeared on his lips. “I have been tempted at times by the whisperings that I have heard while using this wand.” He stared Harry directly in the eye. “Could you allow me to see these records?”

“Yes, but not today,” Harry replied with a smile.

Albus Dumbledore smiled at Harry. “Destroy it Sirius.”

“Now you are talking,” said Sirius enthusiastically. He stepped forward with the chisel, but Bill put up a hand to stop him.

“I am not sure if that would be safe, Sirius. The Curse on the ring may transfer to you.” Bill turned to Harry. “Do you have your sword?”

“Yes, I do. I suppose that would appropriate,” said Harry. He reached down into his right boot and grabbed the handle of the Sword of Gryffindor hidden there. He carefully pulled it out of the boot and held it aloft. “Using Gryffindor’s sword to destroy an artifact of Slytherin’s ancestor seems rather appropriate.”

Albus Dumbledore stared wide-eyed at the sword. “You certainly are full of surprises, Mr. Potter,” Albus chuckled.

Harry smiled as he stepped forward and quickly stuck the ring lying in the hole in the floor. There was a quick flash that was too bright to be a spark from the metal blade contacting the stone. Harry felt a shiver pass through him and then a wave of warmth. It was ever so slight of a feeling that he almost thought he had imagined it happening.

Bill cast several spells on the ring. “It appears the Curse was released when you destroyed the Horcrux Harry. You can have it if you want it Professor.”

Albus bent over and picked up the ring. He placed it in his pocket.

“I am going to reset the Charm that was under the floor, and we should make it look as if we were never here,” said Bill.

Fifteen minutes later the six of them were staring at the cabin. Sirius and Remus were casting Charms to erase their footprints in the grass and weeds around them.

“Ready to move on to the next place?” asked Harry. A second later all six people disappeared. On a high cliff overlooking the English Channel, they reappeared.

“We found a cave at the base of these cliffs, and it was radiating with dark magic,” said Harry. “The easiest way for us to get into it would be for me to go first and then bring all of you with Ginny.”

“Well stop talking and get crackin’ Prongslet,” laughed Sirius.

Harry glared at Sirius before imagining the cave he was in yesterday afternoon. A quick turn and he was inside of it. The place gave him a cold chill from the dark magic radiating from the stones around him. He closed his eyes and imagined Ginny and wanting her to be beside him. The other five people appeared a second later.

“Took you long enough,” teased Sirius.

Harry didn’t even respond to the teasing. He just put his arm around Ginny. Her touch drove the feeling of cold away that he was experiencing. They stood there and watched as Albus and Bill checked the cave for spells, wards, and traps. After about ten minutes, they stood in front of a place of the cave wall and were talking with each other. Albus quickly raised his left hand and sliced it with a knife that seemed to appear in his right. He wiped the bloody hand across the section of cave wall that he and Bill were standing in front. The stones seemed to shimmer before disappearing to reveal an entrance. Albus healed his hand with his wand.

“Shall we proceed?” Albus asked.

He and Bill stepped through the opening first. Harry could barely see through the opening and he could only make out a faint greenish glow in the distance. Albus and Bill after stepping through the opening moved to the left. He wondered why they did that. Sirius and Remus followed them and they also stepped to the left. Harry could hear water splashing, as he and Ginny stepped towards the entrance. He only saw a brief glimpse of an island sitting in the middle of a lake, before the water bubbled and Inferi started coming out.

Remus quickly spun and pushed Harry and Ginny out as the other three shot flames out of their wands to form a wall between them and the Inferi.

“You two are going to have to stay out here,” said Remus.

Sirius, Bill, and Albus walked back through the opening with grim expressions on their faces.

“It seems that the Inferi are attracted to magical power,” said Albus. “They started to move towards us as each of us stepped into the cave. We could see them move under the water, but when you and Ginny stepped through they started to attack.”

“That is going to complicate things,” said Sirius. “It sounds as if Voldemort wanted to prevent multiple wizards from entering the cave. I will go after the Horcrux alone.” Sirius produced a broom out of his magical pocket.

“No!” said Harry.

“I agree with Harry,” said Albus. “I am guessing there is a trap on that island that would require two to survive it. We must figure a way around this problem.”

“Professor Dumbledore,” said Remus. “Can we assume that there is probably only the trap on the island and the Inferi as our obstacles? If we draw the Inferi towards the strongest magical signal and trap them in a ring of fire. Then two people could go to that island and get the Horcrux.” Remus also pulled a broom from his magical pocket. “You, Bill, Harry and Ginny can trap the Inferi here by the entrance. Sirius and I will enter the cave first and move off to the left. After the Inferi are trapped, we will fly to the island.”

“What if the Inferi escape back into the water?” Albus asked Remus.

“Then we will deal with them,” said Sirius calmly. “With you four over here, I doubt the Inferi would even sense us on that island. Let’s go Moony.”

Without further discussion, Sirius and Remus walked through the opening and turned to the left.

“Harry and Ginny, can you two create a wall of fire?” asked Albus.

“Yes,” Harry said in response.

“Good, you two go in first, when the Inferi come for you create a wall of flame. Bill and I will enter the cave and finish surrounding them with fire.”

Harry took Ginny’s hand. She smiled up to him with reassurance. He was more nervous about Sirius and Remus going to the island to get the Horcrux. What type of a trap did Voldemort set over there?

They stepped through the opening together. The water boiled in front of them as the Inferi came for their magical signature. They quickly moved to the left. There was a low ledge wide enough for him and Ginny to walk side by side along this path. Remus and Sirius were further up the path holding their brooms. The Inferi were moving through the water following them. Some were even coming up out of the water after them. Their stiff and awkward movements made it easy for Harry to stay ahead of them.

“That’s good you two,” shouted Bill.

Ginny and he raised their wands at the same time. Flames shot out of their wands forming a solid wall of flame. To their right Albus and Bill shot flames out their wands. Harry glanced to his left to see Remus and Sirius lift off on their brooms. He refocused his magic so the wall of flame lowered so he could look out over the lake and see the island.

The Inferi were still trying to get to him and Ginny. Some were getting pushed into the flames as other Inferi behind them kept marching towards their strong magical signature. The Inferi sizzled as their water soaked clothes and bodies contacted the flames. Soon the cave was filled with the acrid smell of burning flesh.

Harry glanced over to the island. He could see his parents’ friends moving around in the center of the island. He refocused on the fiery corral holding the Inferi. They were still moving towards him and Ginny. The stench was getting unbearable, but they had to keep the Inferi corralled until Remus and Sirius returned.

“Can you keep the flames up by yourself?” Ginny asked him.

“Yes, what are you planning?”

“I am banishing that stench. I am about to get sick.”

“I am sorry, I forgot about you being sensitive to odors.” He felt terrible that Ginny had to stand here and breathe those noxious fumes.

Ginny laughed at him. “I’ll survive,” she said, before casting the charm to banish the noxious smoke.

“Thank you,” shouted Bill from the cave’s entrance.

“No,” screamed Sirius. His voice echoed from across the water.

Harry turned to see what happened and the flames coming out of his wand faltered. Ginny yelled at him inside of his mind and with her mouth at the same time. He quickly refocused on the flames holding the Inferi.

“Not James! Not Lily, too!” The shout echoed over the water.

“Harry,” said Ginny reassuringly. “I can see them both moving over there. We must stay here to protect them from the Inferi.”

Harry looked over to that island feeling helpless as more of Sirius’ cries echoed over to him. His voice was ragged and Harry couldn’t actually tell what he was shouting. He was getting more nervous about what was happening to them on that island.

“Harry,” shouted Albus. “You can’t do anything to help them.”

Harry glanced back at Dumbledore. He wanted to go rescue his friends. Ginny elbowed him to get his attention. “They are coming back.”

Harry saw both of them on one broom. He was worried why they had to be on the same broom. He was able to follow them as they flew high above the water and directly towards the opening. As they got closer, he could see Remus holding a slumping Sirius on the broom. Sirius looked alive but very weak. As soon as they flew through opening, Harry stopped the flames coming from his wand, and with a sweeping action he blasted all the Inferi into the water.

“Let’s go,” he said and he pulled Ginny by her hand out of the cave.

Albus, Bill, and Remus were huddled around Sirius. “Give him water,” said Remus.

Bill pointed his wand at Sirius’ mouth as Remus held his head still. A stream of water shot into Sirius’ mouth. Sirius gulped the water as it ran out of his mouth and down over his chest. Sirius seemed to get better as he drank the water.

Ginny pulled away from Harry and placed her hand on Sirius’ forehead. Harry could see his eyes clear up as Ginny healed him magically. Bill stopped injecting the water into his mouth and Ginny pulled her hand away from his forehead. Sirius looked up with a sparkle in his eyes.

“Remind me to have some Weasley’s around whenever I hurt myself,” Sirius joked.

“I’m a Potter, and what happened over there,” snapped Ginny.

“I had to drink a nasty Potion out of a basin to get the Horcrux. It was almost like a liquid Dementor. I relived the night that James and Lily died and nights in Azkaban. Remus, you have the Horcrux?”

Remus didn’t say anything. He looked at everyone with a sheepish expression.

Sirius turned from his spot on the ground to look at him. “You did grab it. You didn’t pull me away before we hit the bottom of the basin, did you?”

“I grabbed the necklace, but I don’t think it is a Horcrux,” said Remus. He reached in his pocket and produced a locket.

Harry only glanced at it to realize it wasn’t Slytherin’s locket. Bill cast a spell on it and it didn’t glow indicating it wasn’t a Horcrux. Sirius stared at the locket. He looked rather confused. Harry didn’t blame him. He had to suffer through drinking a nasty potion, and all for nothing.

Sirius took the locket in his hand and stared at it for several seconds. “I have seen this before,” he whispered. He pushed a small button on the side of the locket to open it. Inside Harry could see a folded piece of parchment. Sirius pulled it out and unfolded it. He stared at it with a shocked expression on his face.

“Padfoot, what is it?” asked Remus.

“Regulus,” whispered Sirius.

“Regulus, what about Regulus?” asked Remus.

“He — he wrote this. He got the Horcrux before us. That is why he died?” Sirius said with a sob.

Albus Dumbledore took the note from Sirius’s hand and Remus pulled his old friend in for a hug and to comfort him. Harry had heard about Sirius’s brother Regulus, who was his mother’s favorite son because he joined the Death Eaters. Somehow Regulus discovered the Horcrux and destroyed it. It would explain why he had died. Sirius always assumed that he had tried to leave the Death Eaters.

Albus looked at Harry and nodded for Harry to talk to him. They left Remus and Sirius on the ground and stepped away. Albus held the note in his hand. He wore a grave expression.

“I am not sure that the Horcrux was destroyed. That type of information isn’t readily available and I doubt if Voldemort would have taught his followers that knowledge. I hope the necklace is at Grimmauld Place.”

“I hope it is there too, or we are back to square one with hunting this Horcrux,” said Bill.

Harry looked over at Sirius and Remus sitting on the cave floor. “I guess it is back to Grimmauld Place.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Everyone was standing around Sirius staring at him. Harry was concerned for his friend. In the past two hours, he had discovered that his brother had actually been a hero and tried to bring Voldemort down. From what they could piece together from Kreacher, Voldemort had asked Regulus for the use of Kreacher. He was never told what he planned to do with the House Elf. After making the House Elf drink the Nightmare Potion, Voldemort left the elf to die. Regulus had told Kreacher to come back to him after he was done serving the Dark Lord. Somehow Regulus had discovered that Voldemort was hiding a Horcrux. He decided to sacrifice himself and have Kreacher destroy the locket. However, Kreacher could not destroy it. Even with his House Elf magic, he couldn’t destroy it.

Kreacher was squatting in the corner of the room holding the locket that had been Sirius mother’s. The Elf was mumbling under his breath to himself. Sirius was standing holding the sword of Gryffindor with white knuckles glaring at Slytherin’s locket lying on a small table.

“Sirius, are you all right, mate?” asked Remus.

“Yeah, I am,” he replied without looking at his old friend. “All my life, I despised that prat. He was always my mother’s favorite. He was sorted into Slytherin. He was fascinated with the Dark Arts, and he joined Voldemort and the Death Eaters. The bloody Prat finally realized how evil his leader actually was, and he tried to stop him.”

“We should all be grateful to Regulus for what he did,” said Albus.

The locket jumped on the table creating a rattling sound. Everyone looked at it and then at Sirius.

“You should be getting on with it, Padfoot,” Harry said to him. The locket again bounced around on the table top. “Do you want me to open it?”

“Don’t worry Harry,” replied Sirius. “I’ll get through it.” He lifted the sword above his head. “This is for you Reg.”

Sirius put all his might into the bringing the sword down onto the locket. There was a bright spark as goblin made metal contacted magically protected metal. Harry again felt that strange feeling as the Horcrux was destroyed. The locket had been cleaved in two and the table had a cut through it. It still stood, but there was a foot long slice through the top.

“Piece number three, you evil bastard,” growled Sirius.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Severus Snape stood in the hall clearing his mind and calming his nerves. He couldn’t let his emotions betray him. He wondered what he would be facing in the room with the Dark Lord. Facing him was scary enough. Adding Bellatrix to the group made every second he was in there dangerous. She was truly psychotic.

The door opened and Lucius Malfoy waved Severus into the room using his silver hand that the Dark Lord had made for him. As Severus stepped beyond the large double doors, he saw the Dark Lord. He was sitting on a chair that resembled a throne. On one side of him was that massive snake that he kept for a pet, and the other side was the most dangerous snake, Bellatrix.

“If it isn’t Dumbledore’s puppet,” she cackled at the sight of him.

Severus tried to ignore her. He didn’t want to react to her or stare at her, but he also didn’t trust her not to hex him without provocation. He walked forward and bowed before the Dark Lord. “Master,” he said to him.

“Ah, Severus, how are things with the Order of Phoenix?” the Dark Lord hissed out.

“They are recruiting new members…,” Severus started to say.

“Look at me,” demanded the Dark Lord. “Look me in the eyes when you speak to me, Master Occlumens.”

Severus was worried about this. He lifted his eyes up and stared at the Dark Lord. “They are recruiting new members every day. Most of them are not fighters but information gatherers. There are some fighters amongst them…,” Bellatrix let out a cackling laugh.”… but we already know most of them.”

“What are their numbers?”

“I am not sure, my Lord. They do not allow me to see all the members. The Headmaster doesn’t seem to trust me anymore.”

The Dark Lord leaned forward and stared into Severus’ eyes. He could feel the pressure of Leglimency. “Dumbledore doesn’t trust you. Why is that?”

“He knows I lied to him the night you freed your followers from Azkaban. He also figured out that I was involved when the Death Eaters attacked the Weasley hovel. He confronted me about not telling him the truth or warning him about those two operations. I told him that in order to gain your trust I must keep your secrets and lie to the Order of Phoenix. He seemed to believe me.”

“He did, well that is good,” smiled the Dark Lord as he leaned back in his chair. Bellatrix leaded closer to the Dark Lord and glowered at Severus. “What are they planning?”

“They are making contingency plans for when the Ministry falls. They feel that you have many followers in the Ministry.”

Bellatrix stood up and pulled her wand. “You two faced spy, you told them about our plans,” she nearly screamed.

The Dark Lord laid a hand on her wand arm. “It is alright Bella. Albus Dumbledore might be a fool for what he believes, but he is an intelligent fool. What else are they planning, Severus?”

“I know of nothing else, Master. They keep asking me what your plans are and when you will make your move. I tell them that you do not reveal your plans to me. I have not told them anything that you haven’t wanted them to hear.”

“Dumbledore knows what you special assignment is?”

“Yes, Master, he does.”

The Dark Lord laughed a cold mirthless laugh. “Good, very good, but I have another assignment for you. I want you to learn everything you can about Harry Potter. What are his weaknesses and his strengths, and what powers has that soul bond given him.”

“Yes, Master, I will do that,” said Severus. “Am I excused?”

“Excused, Severus?” questioned the Dark Lord. “No, I want you to stay. You are proving yourself to be a valuable asset. I think it is time for you to join my inner circle.”

Severus bowed slightly to the Dark Lord. Even though no one voiced their disapproval, he could see it in their eyes, especially Bellatrix.

Back to index


Chapter 26: Christmas Holiday

Author's Notes: It is Christmas time, and the Potters are spending Christmas with the Weasleys. It has been almost a month since the last chapter. Things have been quiet in the magical world, but that won't last. Many thanks to my Beta Leif for catching all my silly errors. It seems the faster I write the greater my SPaGs.


The wind whipped through Albus Dumbledore’s beard and long hair as the cart sailed along the tracks. It had been years since he had been in the vaults of Gringotts. He was with Harry, Ginny, Bill Weasley, and they were all going to the Potter vault. Albus was curious what would be in the vault. Harry told him about information concerning the creation of the Deathly Hallows.

He had been in pursuit of the Hallows since he was a teenager and a student at Hogwarts. He and Gellert thought if they could bring all the Hallows together that they could help improve the world. At least that what Albus had thought. Gellert had another idea. He wanted to use the Hallows to gain control over the magical and Muggle world.

Albus looked at the wand in his hand. He won it by defeating Gellert in a duel. It was supposed to be an unbeatable wand; the Death Stick, the wand of destiny, the Elder Wand. He wondered if Gellert had come to terms with what he had done with his magical abilities. Gellert was one of the most intelligent and powerful wizards he ever met. To the magical world he was the last Dark Lord; to Albus he was so much more.

The cart slowed down and caused Albus to stop thinking about the past. What had happened could not be changed; he now had to focus on what he can do to stop the present Dark Lord. He needed to keep in mind that Harry was now the leader of the Light. It was difficult to relinquish control that he had for most of his life. However, Harry had proven to have an uncanny ability to make the right decision and he also had the type of personality that made people want to follow him.

“We are going to go through several screening processes before we go into the vault area,” said Harry.

Albus looked at where they were. The tracks ended and the only door visible was guarded by six goblins in armor. There were also three screening areas that they had to walk through. It looked like the same series of tests one had to pass through to get to Grins Gringotts' office.

After passing through the three tests Harry and Ginny knocked on the metal door. Albus thought it was a strange thing to do to access your vault. When the door opened, he saw more goblin guards. He was getting more puzzled with each layer of security.

Stepping though the steel door, Albus was faced with the two largest vault doors he had ever seen. One on the right had an ornate script “P” engraved on the door. The other one had a letter engraved in Goobleygook. There was another steel door that was significantly smaller. It was larger than most vault doors, but only about a tenth of the size of the other two doors.

Harry stepped up to the door on the right. He placed his hand on it; the door slid up exposing a vault almost as large as the Great Hall of Hogwarts. It was filled with such wealth that it shocked Albus. He was never wealthy, but he never imagined anyone possessing that much wealth. There was a wall of Galleons. He had no idea how many Galleons were in this wall of gold. It was more than most families in magical Great Britain had combined.

“I assume it didn’t cause you too much financial difficulty to buy all the bicorn horn,” Albus said with a smile.

“No, we didn’t have to worry about having enough to eat,” said Harry with a cheeky smile. “We are here so you can look over some of the family history and research what is stored here. We cannot leave you here, because of the enchantments placed on this vault to protect it cannot be undone.”

Bill walked past Albus. “I need to start researching a way to make accepting people to the manor easier.” He went to a set of bookshelves about halfway back the vault and started looking over books stored there.

“I am assuming that is where I need to go for my research?” Albus asked Harry.

“Harry, I need this book,” shouted Bill.

Harry turned and smiled at him. “Only Ginny and I can remove things from their storage areas. If you try to remove anything, you will be stuck to the object and to the shelves or vault walls or floor. You should probably start with the book on the desk. It is a history of the Potter family. It also reveals some information about the creation of the Deathly Hallows.”

“I think you will find it very enlightening,” said Ginny with a smile. She then went to remove the book that Bill wanted and placed it on the table beside a large leather bound tome that had the same ornate letter “P” on it that was on the vault door.

Albus waved his wand and created a tall comfortable chair to sit in as he read this tome. “I might as well get comfortable. It looks as if I will be here for a while.”

“Gringotts will be sending food down at noon,” said Harry.

Ginny sighed, “That long, I’ll starve.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Sirius and Remus watched as the Hogwarts Express steamed away, taking almost all of the children back to King’s Cross Station. The Christmas holidays had begun. They climbed on a thestral-pulled carriage to take a relaxing trip back to Hogwarts. Before the carriage could pull away, Professor McGonagall climbed on it.

“Mind if I ride along?” she asked.

Remus looked at the Deputy Headmistress. It really wasn’t a request.

“Not at all Minnie,” replied Sirius. The carriage rocked as the thestral started pulling it.

Minerva lifted an eyebrow at Sirius. She discreetly waved her wand. “We can talk now. What is Albus doing with the Potters today? What is so important?”

Sirius stared at her. Remus felt a nervous twinge. They wanted to make Dumbledore doubt his absolute authority and perceived perfection, but they didn’t want people to start doubting him that would never have until they resurfaced.

“They are researching ways to rid the world of Voldy-shorts,” said Sirius.

Remus smiled at Sirius. He noticed that Minerva wasn’t smiling. “There are old books in the Potter Family vault that he wanted to see. They cannot be removed from the vault.”

“What is he looking for?”

Sirius sat up and stared at Minerva. Remus looked at his friend. He looked agitated. “Why are you asking these questions?” demanded Sirius.

The Deputy Headmistress sat up straighter and stiffer at Sirius’s comment. Remus didn’t think that was possible until now. He also noticed that her lips had practically disappeared, again not a good sign.

“Since you five have returned to the magical community, I have seen things that I thought were not possible. I remember James and his father from their Hogwarts days. I never knew they were as affluent as they were. Amelia has been asking questions about the Potter family too. Alastor has been investigating the manor house and claims that it has stronger wards than even Hogwarts. Why would the Potter family build a house like that and never live in it? Why would any family build a house like that?”

Sirius looked at Remus. “You want to tell her or shall I? She won’t like it.”

“Why won’t I like it?” snapped Minerva.

“Because they built the house and did many things because of several prophecies,” said Remus.

“Prophecies?” asked a shocked Minerva. “Certainly, intelligent people wouldn’t put so much faith into someone spouting rubbish.”

“I told you Moony,” said Sirius.

“I didn’t disagree with you,” said Remus. “The Prophecies were told by a highly reputable Seer. Many of them have already come true, and several more have almost come to fruition. The Potter ancestors put faith in these prophecies and created buildings like Potter Manor to help the Prophecy come true.”

“So the Headmaster took this day off to go read someone’s ramblings,” snapped Minerva rather waspishly.

“I am sure he will be reading more than that,” said Remus. He smiled at Minerva. Her bias against Divination was obvious to almost a comical level.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore pinched the bridge of his nose. They were traveling back to the surface. It was getting late and Harry and Ginny wanted to get home and relax. He chuckled at that thought. How could two young people like them relax with everything that has been piled on their shoulders? Within the first hour of his research, he was shocked at the history of the Potter family, or as they should be called Peverell. As he read the various prophecies and blood bonds between the Potter family and goblins, the Potter family and house elves, he was amazed at the responsibilities that Harry and Ginny had to deal with. Even though they are thirteen and twelve in actual years, they were as mature as any wizard and witch he had ever met. He felt ashamed that he ever doubted their ability to be the leaders of the Light.

The cart lurched as it stopped by a set of doors. “This door leads directly to Diagon Alley. The bank is now closed. You may leave here,” said the goblin.

After everyone stepped out of the cart, the goblin made it speed away. Bill waved his wand.

“We can Apparate from here,” he said. “Harry, are you two going back to Potter Manor?”

“I want to sleep in my own bed,” whined Ginny.

Harry took his wife’s hand, and shrugged while smiling at Albus, who smiled knowingly back at him. “It is the holidays. It’s time to slow down, relax, and enjoy the company of family,” said Albus. “I will be at Hogwarts for the next two days. Can we meet again on Boxing Day to look over more books?”

“Sure, we will meet you at Hogwarts in the morning,” said Harry.

Albus watched as Harry, Ginny, and Bill Apparated away. He needed to go to Hogwarts and see what type of a day Minerva had. With a quick turn he appeared in front of the main gates of Hogwarts. He slowly walked up the lane to the castle. He ignored the cold Scottish wind as it whipped across the grounds. It had been a dry December, so the only thing that blew in the winds was dry leaves.

Albus didn’t notice anything as he walked. He mind was focused on the information that he had learned about the Elder Wand. The wand actually had a sentient core. It could remember every spell it ever cast and also many of the memories of its owners. For years, Albus thought the voice of temptation to use the Dark spells were from his past. He could hear Gellert’s voice whispering to him to not be afraid of the power of the Dark Arts. It was the same as when they were teenagers in Godric’s Hollow reading and learning about magic. Gellert would always try to get him to learn the darker forms of magic. When the wand would whisper to him and tempt him to give in to its dark past, Albus thought it was his guilty conscience. He never imagined that the wand would speak to him with Gellert’s voice. However, Gellert had possessed the wand longer than most of the wizards that had possessed it. It probably knew Gellert better than any of its other owners.

He pushed the large oak doors open and stepped into the entrance. It was empty, but the noise of people eating in the great hall drifted out to him. Albus decided to stop and get something to eat before retiring to his office. The tables were rearranged so there were no individual house tables and a head table. There was only one long table. He saw Minerva sitting with an open chair beside her. He walked over and sat down beside her.

“How was your day, Professor McGonagall?” asked Albus.

“It was uneventful. Even the Weasley twins behaved themselves,” replied Minerva.

“I guess we should check the school for traps,” said Albus with a chuckle.

“How was your day?”

Albus hesitated for a second. “Humbling, Minerva. At this point in my life, I never expected to find out how many things I had wrong.” He looked over at Minerva to see her staring at him with her mouth slightly open.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny, Harry, and Bill appeared outside of Potter Manor. She was hungry, tired, and just wanted to eat, put her nightgown on, and crawl into bed. They stepped into the Manor, to be greeted by the Brandenburgs’ little girl.

“It’s the Potters,” she squealed with delight.

Ginny smiled back at the excitable little girl. “Yes, we are back. We are going to get a bite to eat then go to bed.”

“We need to talk before you go to sleep,” said Bill.

Ginny rolled her eyes at Bill. She didn’t want to sit around and talk. “You and Harry can talk all night as far I am concerned. I’m going to sleep soon.”

Ginny ignored their comments as she went into the kitchen to put together some dinner. She was happy with a couple of roast beef sandwiches and some pumpkin juice. She didn’t even wait for Harry to put together a dinner before she walked away to go to their bedroom suite. She smiled at Ashley Brandenberg as she ran around the foyer. She was such an energetic young girl. She reminded Ginny of herself when she was young.

The idea that she wasn’t young hit her. She was only six years older than Ashley, and yet she felt as old as her mum. She remembered what her mum said two years ago when she bonded with Harry about having her youth stolen from her. It was a sobering thought, but not one that hadn’t occurred to her before. When she returned to England, she realized how mature she was compared to her older brothers. The only one that didn’t seem younger than her was Percy. That certainly was a sobering thought to be compared to Percy in anything except test scores. Yet, with all the change in her life and all the responsibilities that have been heaped upon her because of her and Harry’s bond, she never wanted to go back to the way she was. She was happy, because she was something that so few people ever get to be. She was complete because of her and Harry’s bond.

Ginny felt Harry walking up behind her as she ascended the stairs.

“Thanks for waiting for me,” he said to her. “Don’t forget to take your potion before you go to sleep.”

“Yes, Mum, I will remember,” Ginny said, while smirking at him. “I’m sorry for being so tired; I just hope that this fatigue I have been feeling is just temporary.”

“I’m sure it will go away in about six months,” he said with a smirk.

Ginny was about to punch his arm for saying something like that, but she would have had to set down her food or the pumpkin juice and she didn’t want to do that.

“I think I found a possible way to make entrance to this manor easier,” said Bill as he caught up to them on the staircase. They were presently between the second and third floor. “It may cause some inconvenience, but nothing as severe as you two not being able to leave.”

Ginny had been listening to Bill, but she didn’t respond. She had realized that she couldn’t open the door to her bedroom suite. “Harry, can you get the door?”

She heard Harry and Bill laughing behind her. “I was wondering when she would realize her shortage of appendages,” laughed Bill.

“If I wasn’t so tired, I would wait it out until she put something down,” said Harry. “However, I also want to get to sleep.”

The door to their suite opened revealing Remus and Sirius. “You two are acting like an old married couple,” laughed Sirius.

“Out of my way,” huffed Ginny as she pushed past Sirius into the sitting area of her suite. She ignored everyone and placed the pumpkin juice on an end table and sat down in a large wingback chair and proceeded to eat.

When Harry came over to pour a glass of pumpkin juice, she slapped his hand away. “Get your own. You want to make fun of me? Fine! Get your own bloody pumpkin juice.”

She could help but crack a smile when Harry knelt before her and everyone else in the hall “oohed” at her comment. “Oh, stop it. How can you change how people are accepted into the manor?”

Bill’s face lit up at her question. “These are blood wards; we will need to expand the family blood line.”

“I am already doing that, and it is taking a long time,” she said.

“It involves you Gin-Gin,” said Bill. “It involves our family. I think we can create a permission statement that would pass some of the authority to the Weasley family: just our immediate family, no cousins, aunts, or uncles.”

“I could see how that would work,” said Remus. “As long as one of your family members are present they could admit people through the wards. Harry and Ginny could still go out hunting for Horcruxes or whatever other missions they need to perform.”

“Like giving birth,” said Ginny. Everyone else chuckled at her comment.

“When do you think we could transfer this authority?” asked Harry.

“I need to do more research, and I want to consult with Albus on this idea. I am hoping before we go back to school at the end of the holiday. There is a possibility that we could destroy or severely weaken the wards on the property if I muck this up.”

“I appreciate your caution, Bill,” she said to her brother. “I have all the confidence in the world in your abilities and knowledge. If we do destroy the wards, could we just use a Fidelius Charm to replace them?”

“Yes, that is possible, but then we would need to worry about the Secret Keeper getting caught,” said Remus.

“They will need to stay on the premises,” said Ginny. “As much as I am enjoying this skulling session, I need to get to sleep. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I promised Mum that I would be at the Burrow at 7:00 AM to help bake and prepare everything for the holidays. Harry, you are coming with me.”

Harry looked at her with a strange expression. “You sound like I was going to pull a bunk on you! Of course I will be there with you. The next two days are for you and your family.”

“I supposed that means we will all be going at 7:00 AM,” groaned Sirius.

“It won’t be that bad, Padfoot,” said Bill.

“I enjoy your family, especially the twins,” responded Sirius. “I just wanted to have a lie in. I need my beauty sleep.”

“Were you planning on sleeping until we go back to school?” asked Remus.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The Burrow was filled with the delicious odors of baked bread, biscuits, and fruit pies. Ginny, Harry, and her mum were spending today baking these and leaving tomorrow for the main meal. Her father had all the male members of the household decorating the sitting room and outside of the house, except of course, Harry.

He helped his aunt in the kitchen growing up. Ginny objected to the term “helped.” She insisted it was more forced, but enjoyed Harry helping her and Mum with the baking. The male members of the household also enjoyed seeing Harry in the kitchen with an apron. It was fresh fodder for teasing him. Sometime in the afternoon, his name was changed to Harriet. Ginny let them get away with teasing her husband for now. It was the Christmas holidays and she was enjoying baking with her mum and husband. She hoped that if Harry and she somehow survive this war they could do this with their children and grandchildren.

Dinner that night was roast chicken and boiled potatoes. It was a rather small meal considering there were twelve people in the house. Charlie had returned from Romania in the late afternoon. After dinner was over, Harry and Ginny stood up to clean up the dishes.

“No, you two sit down. You worked hard enough in the kitchen today,” said Mrs. Weasley. “Ron, Fred, and George you can clean up the dishes and put them in the sink.”

“We worked hard all day,” whined Ron. “They were in the kitchen all day, that isn’t hard work.”

Ginny smiled at Harry before looking at Ron. Everyone in the room realized the young man’s mistake. Molly Weasley didn’t say anything for a second or two, and then she unleashed her temper.

“So you think that working in the kitchen all day making enough food to feed a small army because you eat enough for three isn’t hard work? I guess I should never be tired! I’ll tell you this it is hard work, just as hard as anything you have been doing all day. I guess it is time you learned what that is like. You can clean the table by yourself tonight and tomorrow. On Boxing day, you can cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner.”

Ginny smiled at Ron’s shocked expression. The poor boy had just opened his mouth and brought the wrath of Molly Weasley down on him. She felt sorry for her thick-headed brother, but not enough to help him clear the table. If he was so thick to insult his mum, then he needed to be taught a lesson. Ron became even more furious when Fred and George thanked him for taking their share of the work.

They all moved to the sitting room while Ron cleared the dishes. Mum stood in the doorway to make sure he did everything correctly. Ginny had been so busy in the kitchen all day that she didn’t get a chance to see the decorations. The sitting room sparkled with fairy lights. There were boughs of pine and holly strung across the ceiling and the tree took up more than its share of the corner of the room. In fact the room seemed to bend so the tree could stand upright. In a house that was held together with magic, that seemed a rather dangerous thing to attempt.

She pulled Harry to a chair by the tree, pushed him down in to it, and flopped onto his lap. Wrapping her arms around his neck she kissed his temple as she stared at the tree. The tree and the corner of the room started to quiver. The tree was bending and flexing as the room expanded and contracted.

“Harry, Ginny, stop that,” shouted her Dad. “Your bond is affecting the magic in the room.”

Ginny quickly separated from Harry. She watched as the tree and the room stabilized. “Sorry, I forgot,” she said sheepishly.

“Sorry Arthur,” said Harry. “It was just a perfect moment.”

“That's all right, you two are going to need to get your emotions under control while you are in this house.”

Harry and Ginny slept at the Burrow that night along with Remus and Sirius. He had expanded Ginny’s childhood bed to allow them to sleep together. They both wore heavy pajamas to resist the possibility of exciting their bond. They didn’t need to wreck the Burrow because they got randy in their sleep.

Remus and Sirius got stuck sleeping on camp beds. They shared a room with Bill. Charlie got to sleep with the twins, who originally wanted to share a room with Sirius and Remus. Molly Weasley was keen on keeping the four pranksters as far apart as possible.

Ginny woke up early on Christmas morning. Through her bedroom window, she could see large snowflakes falling down and covering the ground with white blanket of snow. It was so perfect for a Christmas morning. She turned to see green eyes staring at her. He smiled that crooked smile that made her heart leap. This morning it also shook the house.

“Bloody hell,” she cursed. She grabbed Harry’s hand and Apparated them outside into the orchard. It was within the wards to keep them safe, but far enough away from the house that their bond shouldn’t affect it.

“Happy Christmas, Mrs. Potter,” Harry said to her before capturing her lips. They stood there in the fresh fallen snow giving each other a good morning kiss.

Ginny didn’t want it to end, but it had to eventually. “I think it should be safe to finish this later when we go back to the manor.”

“Yes, that sounds like a wonderful idea,” he said in a low husky voice. “I suppose we woke everyone in the house, so do you want open presents?”

“Sounds like a brilliant idea.”

They held hands as they walked back to the Burrow. Everyone was awake. It was the one morning all year that Ron actually was a morning person. He was sitting at the kitchen table anxiously waiting for a chance to open the presents. Molly had just put some scones in the oven to bake, which meant it was time to open presents. It was just like before Ginny had bonded with Harry, when she was still a little girl.

They moved into the sitting room and Bill took over the duty of passing presents out to everyone. The next thirty minutes was spent tearing open presents and thanking each other for them. The room quickly became cluttered with torn wrapping paper and broken ribbons. It was a mess, but it was a glorious Christmas mess.

After all the presents were opened, her mum brought out fresh baked scones and tea for everyone. They sat and ate while admiring each other’s gifts. Time passed quickly as soon it was time to start cooking the meal. Ginny helped her mum prepare the meal.

Even though they didn’t do anything except sit around and talk and eat, time seemed to slip away. As the day dimmed to night, Ginny started to get sad. She had missed two Christmases with her family after bonding with Harry. It wasn’t his fault, but there was something special about this day. Even though they never got that many presents, her family never seemed to fight over who got what.

When it was finally time to go, Ginny was almost crying. She hugged her mum and dad fiercely for maybe longer than she should have, but they didn’t seem to mind. She could feel Harry’s support of her and his understanding of her emotional state through their bond. They could have had her family to one of their estates for this Christmas, but Harry knew how much she missed having Christmas at her family’s home. He was so understanding of her need to stay connected with her family. It really had been a perfect day.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones sighed at her sister-in-law, Millicent, and her niece, Susan. They were all she had left of her family. Voldemort had killed the rest of her family for opposing him. She shouldn’t be thinking about things like that because it was Christmas. It had actually been an enjoyable day. Susan’s infectious excitement about the fall term at Hogwarts had lifted Amelia’s spirits. She spoke about the Defense classes that she had taken with Professor Weasley and his assistant Professor Potter.

Amelia was trying to figure out who Susan was crushing on; was it Harry or Bill? She could understand why a young third year girl would fall in love either one. They were both handsome gentlemen. Millicent stared at Amelia until they made eye contact, and she rolled her eyes at about Susan’s glowing praise of the two male Professors.

“My goodness, Susan, it sounds like you may have a crush of Professor Potter,” said Millicent.

Susan’s face turned as red as her hair. “He’s married, Mum. Ginny, his wife, is gorgeous. I hope I can find someone even half as nice as him. All the boys in my year are such…,” Susan stopped talking to try to think what to call them, “…boys. They seem so clueless as how to be nice and polite. All they talk about is Quidditch or about how wonderful they are,” she said with a dramatic sigh and roll of her eyes.

Amelia had to bite her tongue to not laugh at her niece’s dramatics. She was such a normal young girl. Amelia never remembered being like that, but as she aged every other third year seemed to act the exact same way.

“Are you ready for pudding, dear?” she asked Susan.

Susan looked down at her half eaten plate of food. “Of course, Auntie, that would be brilliant.”

Millicent went to say something, but Amelia caught her eye before she reprimanded Susan for not finishing her meat and vegetables.

“It is Christmas, Millicent.”

Amelia stood up to get the triple chocolate pudding cake that was a Christmas tradition in the Bones family. A loud gong ringing through the house stopped her.

“What was that?” asked a scared Susan. The sound was so loud that it rattled the windows.

“Susan, you remember that necklace I gave you,” said Amelia forcefully.

Susan nodded her head affirmative.

“You and your mum need to use it. You grab onto her and break the chain. It will take to safety,” she ordered her niece.

“What about you Auntie?” pleaded Susan with tears in her eyes.

“I am going to stay here and defend our home.”

Amelia wasn’t sure if Susan heard what she said as the front door exploded. Amelia turned and saw him. Voldemort was standing in the blasted out hole where the front door of her family manor used to be. Standing beside him was Bellatrix Lestrange and her assistant from the Ministry, Melvin. She had been betrayed by the mole that Fudge had planted in her office.

Taking a deep breath, she gripped her wand in her hand. She was not going to go down easy.

“Time to have a family reunion Madam Bones,” hissed Voldemort.

Amelia flicked her wand and fired off a Blasting Charm. Voldemort deflected it and it blasted her assistant off his feet. Voldemort and Bellatrix both fired off red spells at her. She started to dodge them to the left, but a hand grabbed the back of her robes and she felt a tug behind her navel.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort stood there in a rage. He had just watched his prey escape from him. He wanted to get rid of Madam Bones before he tried to overthrow the Ministry. She was the only Ministry leader that could actually rally people against him. Without her the Ministry would crumble like a house of cards. He turned to look at Melvin. The Blasting Charm had hurt him, but not nearly enough.

“Crucio,” hissed Voldemort. He watched as the Ministry worm screamed and squirmed on the ground.

“Why didn’t you warn me that Madam Bones wore an emergency Portkey?”

“I didn’t know,” he cried. “Please don’t hurt me anymore. Please!”

He hadn’t intended to curse him again, but he hated weak and whiney people. “Crucio!”

He held the curse on Melvin. “Bellatrix, repair the home. I don’t anyone to know we were here. We will need to find another way to get to Madam Bones.”

He lifted the curse on Melvin. The worthless wizard laid on the ground crying and whimpering. A thought occurred to him. “Severus,” he said. He turned to see Snape walk forward and kneel before him.

“Yes, Master?” Severus said as he turned his face up to make eye contact.

“Does the Order have emergency Portkeys for their members?” he hissed out. He sensed the fear from Severus. The man didn’t even have to answer him. “Crucio!”

He only held the curse for a few seconds. He wanted Severus to be able to answer him. “Why didn’t you tell me that they had emergency Portkeys?”

“I am not sure who was issued Portkeys, Master,” Severus wheezed out. He knew not to cry or whimper in his presence, like Melvin. “Each person was to bring an object to be made into a Portkey, no one knows where their destination is, or who else has the same location.”

“Do you have one Severus?”

“Yes. Master, do you want me to activate it for you?”

He had to think about this. He wanted to eliminate Madam Bones, but Severus’s Portkey may be more useful later. The noise of Melvin whining and crying was breaking his concentration. “Avada Kedavra.”

“There I have some quiet to think. Save the Portkey Severus, I may want use it another time. We will need to rethink our assault on the Ministry. Someone hide that,” he ordered pointing his wand at the lifeless body of Melvin. “Yaxley!”

The blond Death Eater moved forward. “Yes, Master.”

“Go to the Ministry and use your influence to find where that Portkey went.” Voldemort didn’t wait for an answer before Apparating away.

Back to index


Chapter 27: New Years

Author's Notes: Amelia, Millicent, and Susan arrive in at another of the Potter's estates. The Order decides to do something out of character.
Thank you Leif for taking time out of your busy schedule to Beta this chapter.


Amelia Bones landed hard on a smooth tile floor. The Portkey flight was longer than any she had ever experienced. She was finally able to turn to see Susan and Millicent lying on the tile floor beside her. She was almost angry that Susan hadn’t listened to her and escaped to leave her to fight Voldemort. She was so angry at that loathsome creature for attacking her family on Christmas, and yet, Susan’s actions had saved her life.

“Thank you, Susan,” Amelia said barely above a whisper. Her niece didn’t say anything, as she just leapt into Amelia’s arms and cried. Millicent was pale as parchment. She stared at Amelia with a blank vacant stare. Four pops announced someone Apparating into the room with them. Amelia didn’t know who was there, so she pulled Susan behind her and raised her wand towards the sound of the Apparition. There were four House Elves standing there, and they were fully clothed. They must be at Potter Manor even though she didn’t recognize the room.

“I am a friend of Harry and Ginny Potter,” she said kindly to them, as she lowered her wand. They stood there and stared at her.

The eldest one waved his hand. “Now we can understand each other,” said the eldest Elf with a definite French accent. “I am Phillipe. Do you want me to contact the Potters?”

“Yes, aren’t they here at their manor?”

“Oh no Madame, they have been in England for some time. It may take a few minutes for me to contact them. If Madams and Mademoiselle wait here, we will get you some wine and desserts while you wait for the Lord and Lady Potter.”

The Elf turned to the others and gave them some orders in French. One of them disappeared while the other two stood there and watched her. The senior Elf disappeared. Amelia assumed that he had left to get Harry and Ginny.

“Are we are in France?” asked Millicent. “How are we going to explain this to the French Ministry, Amelia? Did you know Susan had an international Portkey?”

Amelia tried to remember what Harry had said about the Portkeys. She started to remember him saying that the people would be transported out of the country, and he would be able to get them back into England without incident.

“Yes, now that I think about it. He said we would travel out of England so we can’t be tracked.”

“Who said that, Auntie? Where did you get this necklace? Where are we?” cried an emotional Susan.

“It was my necklace, and Harry Potter made it into the Portkey. I believe we are in his house in France.”

A pop snapped Amelia out of her thoughts. The one House Elf had returned with a tray loaded with French delicacies, a flask of wine, and three glasses. It was then that Amelia had realized that they were still sitting on the floor. She stood up and pulled her niece and sister-in-law up to their feet. One of the Elves that had remained in the room with them, created a table and six chairs.

Amelia gave Millicent a sideways glance. She could see the surprise on the face of her sister-in-law when the House Elves sat down at the table. Amelia sat down at the table. She indicated that the other two should also sit down. They seemed to be hesitant to sit with the House Elves. One of the House Elves pushed the tray with the pastries across the table towards Susan. The teenager’s eyes bulged as she stared at the plate filed with delicious pastries, cookies, and pies.

“Sit down and have an éclair,” Amelia said to her niece.

Susan glanced at her and then at her Mum. She sat down and grabbed a chocolate cream filled éclair off the platter. Millicent sat beside her daughter and grabbed some fruit-filled crepes off the platter. They started eating without hesitation. Amelia smiled at the House elves. She hoped they understood that she was happy with the choices of food on the platter.

As she ate, she stared around the room. It was filled with hospital beds. There were cabinets, every other bed, that were filled with medicinal supplies. As she ate, she tried to count the beds. She lost count as Susan tried to pour herself glass of wine.

“No, Susan, you are not permitted to drink that,” Millicent scolded her daughter. She took the carafe away from her daughter, and turned on one of the Elves. “Don’t you something other than wine to drink. This is far too strong for a young girl.”

“I am thirteen, Mum!” yelled Susan.

“My point exactly, you are too young to be drinking wine.”

“Auntie, please let me have some wine,” pleaded Susan.

Amelia was only partially listening to the argument. One of the Elves had created an empty carafe and filled it with tap water. The tap water was what caught Amelia’s attention it was bubbling, like champagne. The Elf passed his hand over the carafe cooling the contents, and a layer of condensation formed on the outside of the glass container.

“Auntie,” pleaded Susan again.

“Susan be a dear and listen to your Mum,” Amelia told her niece. She was too engulfed in trying to figure out what exactly was in the carafe.

“What is in that carafe?” Millicent asked the House Elf.

“It is water.”

“I’ve never seen water bubble like that before,” replied Millicent.

“The waters below this manor have special qualities. They are supposed to be able to heal the sick and elderly. However, they cannot stop death,” said the House Elf imperiously.

“Is that why this was made into an infirmary?” asked Amelia.

“The Most Noble Potter family built this manor for when the darkness comes,” said the House Elf.

Amelia looked at Millicent. Her complexion had gone pale again. They both looked at Susan who was finishing a glass of the water. She was happy the young girl was oblivious to what the House Elf had told them. It was obvious that the Potter family had been preparing for war for generations. Minerva had Owled her and said the Potters built the British Manor based on prophecies. It was a written note, but she could imagine the tight-lipped expression that Minerva would have displayed at the thoughts of someone believing in prophecies.

Susan finished one cream filled éclair and had taken a bite out of another when the door at the end of the infirmary opened to reveal Harry and Ginny Potter. They both had grave expressions on their faces as they quickly walked towards them. Harry seemed to be a bit pale and in pain. Ginny clung to him like a mother would hold their child whom they are comforting.

“Is everyone all right?” Harry asked.

Susan was so engrossed in eating the éclair that she hadn’t noticed the Potters arriving until Harry spoke. She let out a little squeak and her face became bright red, as she tried to avoid being seen by the Potters.

“We are all fine,” said Amelia. “Susan used the Portkey you made to bring all of us here.”

“Auntie Amelia wanted to stay to fight all of them,” Susan shouted out almost bragging.

“Susan, let the adults talk,” her mother admonished her.

“Did you make sure your Auntie was safe by grabbing on to her?” Ginny leaned down to ask, Susan. The young girl stared at Mrs. Potter and just nodded the affirmative. “That was very brave of you.”

Ginny straightened up after talking to Susan. She glanced at Harry, and she held tighter onto his hand. Amelia could almost see a silent conversation going on between the two of them. Harry seemed to break off the conversation a second later.

“I guess it is time to return to Britain,” he announced to everyone.

“Are we taking another Portkey back?” asked Millicent.

“No we have a better way to return everyone,” said Harry smiling. “Follow me.”

They all followed Harry out of the infirmary into the main house. The house looked different than the manor in England. The ceilings weren’t as high, but the windows were much wider offering a better view of the surroundings. Amelia could see small clusters of lights in the distance through the windows, and also a glorious view of the starry sky.

“Is this manor located high in the Alps?” she asked the Potters.

“Yes, it is,” replied Harry. He didn’t offer any more information about the manor. It really wasn’t necessary, because it was obvious to Amelia that this location would be for treating the wounded. It wouldn’t surprise her to find the meticulous planning that went into making the British manor impregnable was put into making this a place able to handle the damage to wizards and witches that a war with Voldemort would produce.

They walked down three flights of stairs to the lowest level of the manor. They had passed through the area of the House Elves, and the storage area for food and other supplies, and finally came to this plain area where the walls were hewn out of solid stone. The only thing in the room was a steel door. It looked like a vault door of some type. Harry grabbed the handle and pulled the door open revealing a cubicle room with steel walls.

“We all need to get inside,” said Ginny pleasantly as she tried to assure everyone that it was safe.

Amelia hesitated for a second. Millicent backed up a few steps to get away from the vault. Susan though followed Harry inside of the steel vault.

“Please, let me assure you that it is quite safe,” pleaded Harry. They were running out of time. He knew that Moody, Albus, and the rest of the Order will be nervous about Amelia’s condition after being attacked by Voldemort.

Amelia looked at her sister-in-law. She was petrified of closed in places. “Millicent, it is safe. Harry assured us it will be just fine.”

“How long do I need to be inside of that thing?” Millicent asked in a panic.

“The trip only takes a few seconds. It is faster than a Portkey,” said Harry.

“You don’t spin around, either,” said Ginny.

Amelia held out her hand to Millicent. “Hold my hand. We will be fine.”

Millicent stared with a panicked look on her face. “You said a few seconds.”

“Yes, it only takes a few seconds,” reassured Harry.

“All right, then I am holding my breath.” Millicent took a deep breath and stepped into the vault.

Amelia had a hard time not laughing at her. Her cheeks were puffed out like a squirrel gathering food for the winter. She quickly stepped into the vault and tried not to look at Millicent. Harry closed the door and said, “Potter Manor, Britain.”

There was a slight vibration and the vault seemed to shift slightly. Harry reached for the door and opened it. Millicent exhaled noisily and Amelia squeaked at the sight outside of the door. They were in another room; possibly another manor in another country.

“I think it would be best if you all stayed here at our British manor now. We will send someone to your homes to get your personal items, but…,” Harry hesitated saying they were now prime targets.

“He will come after us again,” said Susan. “Will there be enough room for us here? Will we all need to share a bed?”

“There will be plenty of room and you will all get your own separate bed, dear,” said Ginny. She stroked Susan’s hair in an attempt to comfort her. It was such a mature motherly thing for the young girl to do. “I must ask you and your Mum a couple of questions. While you are here at Potter Manor do you agree to treat everyone with respect, including House Elves? When you leave will you keep the manor a secret and not tell anyone where it is or what you have seen here?”

Millicent looked at Amelia. She nodded that it was all right to agree to the request. They both agreed to the terms that Ginny had asked of them. Amelia guessed that they also felt that strange sensation of a weight being lifted off their shoulders as they both looked around after agreeing.

They started up the stairs to the upper levels. Again the floor above the transportation vault was filled with supplies, the next level was for the House Elves, but when they reached the next level it wasn’t the main floor. They were in a smaller stairwell that was circular with stairs spiraling up two more floors above them. Harry pushed on a section of the wall. It gave way revealing a hidden door. Stepping through the door, Amelia immediately knew where she was. It was the small room between the foyer and the grand ball room. The design of the manor became even more incredible. There was a secret escape hidden by the fireplaces and stairs. It appeared the Potters had thought of everything. Harry turned and went towards the foyer.

Amelia could hear voices as soon as she stepped out of the stairwell. She knew there would be most of the Order there to see her and to get her testimony. The first person they saw when they stepped into the foyer was Albus Dumbledore.

“I am glad you are all in good health,” he said. It was half a statement and half a question.

“Yes, Albus we are doing well. I suppose you want to hear what happened?”

“Amelia, if you don’t mind I will talk with you niece and her Mother, while you talk to Alastor in the den.”

“Susan, just tell the Headmaster what you saw and did. You can tell him how you saved my life,” she said with a wink.

Amelia left her niece and strode to the den. She would rather talk to anyone except Alastor right now. He can be so out of control at times. She stepped into the den and saw Alastor standing and staring at the large map on the wall. He didn’t even take his real eye off it when he spoke.

“I apologize for not seeing that forming,” he said with sincerity. “I saw them all gather together, but I didn’t react quickly enough. By the time I had figured it out, they all dispersed. Yaxley went to the Ministry. I imagine he went to track the Portkey.”

“Is he still there?”

“Yeah, I can’t imagine he is too anxious to go back and tell his master that he doesn’t have a clue where you went.”

“Anything else, you noticed,” she asked the old Auror.

“Yeah, Snape was there too.”

Amelia looked at him. Alastor turned to look at her. They didn’t say anything, because there wasn’t anything to say. Each day, it becomes more and more evident that Snape can’t be trusted to reveal information.

“I think it is bloody high time we attack them. We know where they go. We can track the majority of them enough to know who is where and when they are there. I say let’s take the fight to them.”

Amelia never heard Alastor so passionate before. “Did you ask Albus about this plan?”

“He wants to wait and discuss it with the Potters. I say attack. I am bloody tired of watching this map. Bloody Hell, I could probably tell right where Voldemort is by who is where. Let’s start taking down his reinforcements.”

“Let’s discuss this with the Potters,” she said to him. “We must have a plan. As far as I can see, they have a plan. If it wasn’t for their Portkey, the Bones family would all be dead. Let’s hear what they think of your plan.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry stared at Albus Dumbledore, Alastor Moody, and the rest of the people in the Headmaster’s office. He and Ginny had taken Albus and Bill down to their vault again today so they could continue their research. They returned to the office here to find Moody impatiently waiting for them.

Harry didn’t want to deal with Moody today. Yesterday, he and Ginny were getting ready to leave the Burrow to return to the manor when he had one of his splitting headaches. He knew immediately what was wrong. Voldemort was angry. Something had happened to anger him and Harry was feeling it. Of anything in his life that worried Harry, this connection to Voldemort was the worst.

“We need to attack them,” Moody shouted. “We can’t wait for Voldemort and the Death Eaters to pick us off one person at a time.”

“What are we to do when we attack them, Alastor?” asked Albus. “We can’t turn them into the Ministry. They will be free within a day or two.”

“We do what we did the night they broke out of Azkaban. We take their wands.”

“Albus,” said Remus. “What Alastor is suggesting might benefit us. We could attack them as a diversion while we search for the artifacts. I have a feeling that some of them might be hidden in the inner circle member’s homes.”

Alastor looked at Remus then at Albus. “What is he talking about?”

“We are looking for artifacts that Voldemort are using to gain his power,” said Sirius. “It would help if we can get someone to create a diversion so we can search some of Voldemort’s followers’ homes.”

Moody stared at all of them for several seconds, before saying anything. “What are your plans?”

Sirius smiled at the old Auror. “We need to talk about that.”

“All right,” grunted Moody. “First off, whose home are we targeting?”

Remus looked at Harry and smiled. “Rookwood!”

“I don’t have a trace on him,” said Moody. “I guess we figure how we can create a diversion to allow you six to search Rookwood’s manor.”

“Headmaster, do you think our idea will work?” Ginny asked Albus.

“I think it will, but I am afraid that Severus will be punished severely,” said Albus.

Remus and Sirius laughed at the comment. It bothered Harry that they seemed to be so callous towards Snape after all these years. Ginny could feel something about Snape that made her trust him but only slightly. He wasn’t completely evil; just a man who didn’t know how to love or be loved. Harry wasn’t sure if Snape would still be helpful to their cause, but he was their only spy close to Voldemort.

“Severus told me he was punished for not revealing the Order’s Portkeys,” Albus said. “We will need to be more careful when we activate the Portkeys.”

“That could create a problem,” said Remus. “I was hoping that everyone could have a Portkey to take us out of sticky situations. We should realize that any attacks we carry out could result in members getting hurt or killed. We should have a way of getting these people to help.”

The room went silent for several minutes, until Ginny spoke. “A Portkey can be created to take only one person to a location. Have Gabriel make Portkeys to take people to the Burrow. We can set it up as an aid station.”

“Why not use Hogwarts. Have everyone come to the infirmary,” replied Moody.

“We do not want to use Hogwarts unless it is a last resort,” said Albus. “The moment the Ministry finds out the Order has used Hogwarts as its base, they will push to have me evicted as the Headmaster. The Potter vote can only be used to break a tie. The Weasley family has always been known as Blood traitors, and the Burrow has already been attacked several times. I think using the Burrow as an aid station would be the best plan.”

“I agree,” Harry said. “Do you think telling Snape our plans will work?”

Albus smiled and leaned back in his chair. “Yes, if we tell Severus which place we are going to attack, Voldemort will probably think it’s a ruse, and place his forces elsewhere.”

Moody stared at Albus, Harry, and then Remus. “Do you really believe it will be that easy? What if he doesn’t believe you?”

“Then we will be able to tell using the map,” said Remus.

Moody gripped his cane and stared at everyone in the room. He started to chuckle and then smile. “It may work. I want to attack on New Year’s Eve.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Yaxley, have you discovered where Madam Bones went to, when she escaped?” asked Voldemort. He was staring at the kneeling Death Eater.

“No, Master,” said Yaxley. His voiced shook with fear. “The Portkey didn’t land in England. We can only guess that it took them out of the Britain. I tried checking with International Cooperation Office, but they don’t have any record of anyone obtaining an international Portkey or asking for admittance to Britain from a foreign country. Madam Bones was at work today. She has two Aurors protecting her at all times.”

“How did she get back into the country?” he hissed.

“I do not know, Master,” said Yaxley. “The only way she could have returned without the Ministry’s knowledge is if she returned using Muggle methods.”

“You are excused Yaxley. Do not think I am pleased with you, because I didn’t punish you. I need you to try to get someone into Madam Bones office to watch her. I need to know when she is the most vulnerable at the Ministry. I want to know what her schedule is every day before she knows it.”

“Alecto and Amycus come forward,” ordered Voldemort. “You two will find where Madam Bones goes when she leaves the Ministry.”

“Yes, Master,” wheezed out the lumpy Death Eater siblings.

“You may all leave me…,” Voldemort started to say, but Severus interrupted him.

“Master,” said Snape, who stepped forward and kneeled. “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it Severus?” he hissed at his spy.

“The Order is planning on attacking us,” Severus said while staring at Voldemort.

Voldemort leaned forward and stared at Severus’s eyes. He wanted to see in his mind the exact same thing he is saying. “Speak, tell us of the attack.”

The room was getting noisy as people were grumbling at Snape’s revelation. Voldemort was getting ready to make an example of a few of them so they would all be quiet, but he needed to concentrate on Severus’s memories

“I walked in on a planning meeting in the Headmasters office. I wasn’t invited to the meeting, but I protested being left out of the meeting. Some don’t seem to trust me, but the Headmaster seems to still trust me. He told me they are planning on attacking Rookwood’s manor on New Year’s Eve.

“I didn’t trust that they were being truthful with me, so I checked with a portrait. The former Slytherin Headmaster, Phineas Nigellus Black’s portrait was tossed out of the Black family home several years ago. I found it and put it in the Head of House office. When I left the meeting, I asked the portrait who they were planning on attacking. He told me that they were planning on attacking the Lestrange manor.”

“I’ll kill them,” shouted Bellatrix. “They will be the lucky ones to have a quick death.”

Voldemort was happy this was possibly the best news he had heard in some time. They could eliminate some of the leadership of Order. He may be able to finally put an end to Potter. He was able to see everything that Severus had described to them in his mind.

“Tell me Severus, what have you learned about Harry Potter and his soul bond?”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry stood and stared at the map of England in his manor’s den. It looked as if most of the Death Eaters were at the Lestrange’s manor. The plan seemed to be working perfectly. He could sense some of Voldemort’s emotions leaking into his thoughts, and he was happy. Harry reached out to grasp Ginny’s hand. As soon as he touched her hand, Voldemort’s feelings were banished from his mind.

Two people entered the room. They looked more like two walking ice cycles. Their robes were frozen and water dripped off them as they walked across the room to Alastor Moody. It was Caradoc Dearborn and Sturgis Podmore. They had been sent to confirm the guards’ locations at the Rookwood manor.

“Its bloody miserable out there,” exclaimed Podmore. He shivered as he stood there talking.

“It might be snowing here, but in the southwestern area of England it is putting down freezing rain,” said Dearborn. “We were able to check for guards at Rookwood’s estate. The only ones we saw were the ones we see on the map.”

“Brilliant, all right, we all know the plan,” shouted Alastor. “We start at Rookwood’s manor. Those assigned to Stun the guards, do so when the town clock strikes the fourth time while striking the tenth hour. When the Death Eaters realize we are at Rookwood’s manor, they will start attacking us there. If we start losing ground, Apparate out of there, and make sure you don’t leave anyone behind.”

“How do you know they will come?” asked Caradoc Dearborn.

“We will release one of the guards they have around Rookwood’s home,” replied Alastor with a sneer. “Everyone needs to realize that Voldemort may show up. Don’t be a hero, don’t take him on alone. We want to fight another day. If you get hurt, activate the Portkey that Gabriel gave you; you will be transported to the Burrow where Poppy will attend to you. Finally, if you take down a Death Eater, take their wand. It will weaken them later. That is all we can do with the state of the Ministry. One final word, there will be an Anti-Apparation ward set around Rookwood’s manor. Don’t try to Apparate within its zone”

Harry filed out of the den with everyone else. There were over fifty of them going on this raid. Only a few of them knew what the exact purpose of this mission was, and none of them were talking. They stepped outside of the warmth of the manor. The winter storm whipped the snow around them. The North Sea was angry. Its waves sent a frozen mist high in the air and it fell on them like sleet.
The snow was falling thick and coating them with a thin layer of white in the few minutes they took to find a spot to Apparate. Their tracks were getting covered by the white blanket of snow almost immediately.

They waited outside of the manor building until everyone going on the raid was outside and ready. Harry looked at his watch. It was five minutes to nine in the evening. The winter storm buffeted the Order members waiting to Apparate away. If they all Apparate to the area around Rookwood’s, they don’t want to draw attention to themselves. If they wait until the town clock strikes nine, the sound of the bells will hide the noise of them Apparating into the area.

At exactly nine o’clock, everyone Apparated away to the outskirts of Liverpool. Harry and Ginny appeared in an overgrown field. Soon Remus, Bill, and Sirius were standing beside them. They were on the outskirts of the town, and it seemed that everyone had arrived safely. The town clock stopped chiming the time. Harry waited and worried that someone would appear after the clock had stopped chiming, but he couldn’t hear any pops indicating a late arrival. The first step went off without a hitch. He didn’t want to get too hopeful. There were so many things that still go very wrong.

They slowly moved in place over the next hour. The sleet rolled off his dragon hide cloak. He wondered how everyone else was faring in these conditions. The guards were moving around at random times. Alastor had noticed that while watching the map, so there were five Order members assigned to each guard. They were to spread out so at least one of them would have a clear shot at the guard.

Harry was surprised at the location of Rookwood’s home. It was in the middle of a Muggle housing development. The houses surrounding the grounds of Rookwood’s estate reminded him of Little Whinging but newer. He suppressed a smile at the thought of Rookwood escaping Azkaban and finding Muggles had surrounded his home with their repetitive housing. The house could hardly be called a manor house or the grounds be called an estate. It looked like a large two story house. It was old and in need of a new coat of paint. The grounds were overgrown with small trees and shrubs. The Muggles probably think it is an abandoned house.

The time passed as Harry entertained various thoughts about where a person like Rookwood would hide an item of extreme importance from his master. The town clock struck the first ring of ten o’clock. When it struck the fourth time the area around the house lit up with spell fire. They were all Stunners. Harry waited until the clock finished striking the hour to step out from his cover.

“All right Potter, you have one hour,” said Moody.

Harry nodded to Alastor. He took Ginny’s hand and they moved towards the house. Sirius and Remus fell in behind them. Bill immediately started casting the spells to create the Anti-Apparation Charm. Just before they reached the front door, Ginny stopped walking.

“There is someone inside,” she whispered.

Harry stopped walking. He didn’t want to distract her, so he remained quiet. Ginny stared at the house. Her eyes were moving across the front of it as though inspecting each inch of the façade.

“There on the second floor,” she said pointing to the right.

“Remus and I will take care of this threat. You two need to start searching.”

Sirius cast a spell to open the door and he and Remus stepped through the door first. Harry waited for a few seconds before stepping inside.

“Stay back a few steps, Gin. I can’t sense them if you are too close.”

Harry stepped inside the front door. The house looked inside exactly as it did on the outside. It looked as if no one had attended to the maintenance of the home for some time. There wasn’t any dust lying about, so someone had been cleaning it. He tried to stop looking at the house like he was his Aunt Petunia. He had a mission to complete. He needed to sense if there was a Horcrux located in here.

He took a deep breath and tried to clear his mind. Reaching out to sense the presence of Dark Magic, he could sense the presence of Dark Magic, but nothing that felt like one of Voldemort’s Horcruxes. He walked forward while trying to keep his mind clear to locate a Horcrux.

He heard some voices behind him. Turning around, he saw Sirius and Remus talking to Albus Dumbledore and Bill. They had entered while Harry was busy concentrating. Refocusing his magic he tried one more time to sense if there was a Horcrux in the house. He walked to the other end of the house. He turned left and opened doors to the rooms off the main hall. First, he opened the one on the right, and then the one on the left. He moved back towards Ginny and the rest of them without sensing a Horcrux.

“Any luck?” asked Sirius.

“No, who was upstairs?”

“I am guessing Mum Rookwood. Remus cast a Sleeping Charm on her. She won’t be waking for several hours.”

Harry sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “I will go downstairs to take a look around.”

The lower floor was an unfinished basement. It only took Harry about ten minutes to search the downstairs. He even walked slower in case the Horcrux was buried in the dirt floor. He led the way to the upstairs. He opened each door and stepped inside of the room. Each time, he couldn’t sense the proper dark presence. He felt several dark objects, but none were powerful enough to be a Horcrux.

He looked down at his watch it was fifty-five past nine. They had five minutes to get outside of the Anti-Apparation wards.

“Let’s go,” he sighed. “This was a waste of time.”

“No, Harry it wasn’t. We can now cross this location off our list,” said Remus. “I didn’t think Voldemort would have allowed Rookwood to keep one of objects in a house like this. He seems to want something or someplace with prestige.”

Remus had stopped walking. He had a look on his face like he had just thought of something important.

“What?” shouted Sirius. “Tell us later, after we are safe. We need to get outside of the wards in two minutes.”

“All right, let’s get moving,” Remus nearly shouted.

They had just stepped through the wards when Alastor had Rennervated one of the guards. Harry watched behind the cover of some shrubs as the guard tried to cast a couple of spells at Moody and several other Order members, before Apparating away. Almost immediately he felt a rush of anger course through him. It was from Voldemort. Ginny was several feet away from him. So when he saw a flash of scared Death Eaters rushing outside of the Lestrange manor to Apparate away, he wasn’t surprised. He moved closer to Ginny and took her hand.

“Are you all right?” she whispered.

“I am now. They are coming,” he said nonchalantly.

The first Death Eater Apparated a second later. He had been aiming to an area inside of the wards that Bill had set up. Harry never saw anything like the ward Bill had created. As the people would appear, they would Splinch. Soon there were at least fifteen Death Eaters crying out in pain as many were not in one piece. One of the Death Eaters was Bellatrix Lestrange. She was casting spells at Order members as she tried to fix herself as she lay on the ground with her one leg three feet to her left and the other four feet to the right.

“We need to go to Lestranges’,” whispered Bill.

They started to move away from the scene around the Rookwood house. Many more Death Eaters were appearing outside of the Wards. These new ones were being besieged by the Order members. Harry kept looking back to see if he could sense Voldemort’s presence, but Ginny had a firm grip on his hand, so he couldn’t sense anything. They all gathered together before Apparating to the Lestrange’s manor.

Harry thought this place looked more like an actual manor. It was a large three story stone building with emerald green woodwork and double front door. There wasn’t a fence or any barrier around the manor, so he could easily see in the light reflecting of the snow from the windows that there were no guards. It looked almost too easy.

“Let’s get crackin, Harry,” said Sirius. “We may not have much time to look.”

They all stepped towards the manor at the same time.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort strode through the woods that surrounded Rookwood’s home. He was angry at what he saw happening. It was obvious that this was a trap. The memories that he viewed in Snape’s mind were genuine. Dumbledore had deceived him. He had out Slytherin’ed the Heir of Slytherin. He cannot allow this to go unpunished.

He watched as his followers were being beaten by these Muggle lovers. They will need more training; yes, much more training. Even Bellatrix was fighting a losing battle with five Order members. She was the lone bright spot. So many others were already down. The only thing that was saving his Death Eaters was the Order members were far too noble to use Killing Curses on people. If they would kill all the ones that they had incapacitated, he would need to suspend his plans until he could recruit new Death Eaters.

He slowly stared at all the Order members. They appeared to be using some Charm to hide their identity. It was making it difficult to find Potter and his wench. He was also looking for Dumbledore, but so far he wasn’t able to locate him. It was evident that he underestimated the strength of the Order. He will need to wait before he strikes. He needs to get stronger and wait for the exact right moment. This new Order won’t crumble from fear, Dumbledore had learned from the past.

All his plans were crumbling in front of him, the only way he would be able to salvage this night if he could find Potter or Dumbledore and kill them. It was his only recourse now. He walked closer to the fighting hoping to catch a glimpse of his prey. He had to block the occasional stray spell. One of his Death Eaters came close to hitting him with an errant Killing Curse. The Order members started to disappear. A few had suffered from Spell damage, while others just seemed to have tired of the fighting.

It didn’t make any sense to him. Why would they set up such an elaborate plan and execute it so well to only fight a little while and leave their enemy alive and healthy. Rookwood ran inside of his home several others followed him.

He waited to see if Potter or Dumbledore were inside the home. As he waited, Rabastan Lestrange approached him.

“May I return home?” he asked with a bow. “I think we left it abandoned.”

Voldemort opened his mouth to reply, but a realization struck him. This was all a ruse to get in the Lestrange house!

He Apparated to the outer edges of Lestranges’ property. He could see movement inside of the three story building.

“So there you are,” he whispered with a smile. Finally, he would be able to vent his built up anger. Potter or Dumbledore will die tonight. It will be a happy New Year for him after all. Gripping his wand, he strode forth to find someone to kill.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry moved quickly through the rooms of Lestranges’ manor. The Horcrux wasn’t here he couldn’t feel its unique dark power. They pulsed with a pulse of hatred and darkness. He felt nothing like that in this building. There many different types of dark magic in this building, but they all had different signatures.

“Harry, we need to leave,” said Ginny from the doorway of the room.

He stared at her for several seconds before nodding his head in resignation. He was frustrated and angry that this night had gone so poorly. “We should have found something. We did all this for nothing,” he shouted at her.

Ginny’s face turned stony as she walked towards him. Harry was waiting to be slapped or get told off for his attitude. She walked up to him and pulled him into a hug. It seemed to melt all his anger and anxiety away.

“We can check this and Rookwood’s home off our list of possible hiding places. Let’s go home,” she whispered in his ear.

All of Harry’s anger melted away as soon as she touched him. He was frustrated by the lack of progress, but it was still progress. He kissed the top of his wife’s head. “I love you.”

“You better, you big prat,” she said with a smile. She pulled on his hand. They walked out of the room and down the stairs. Albus, Remus, Sirius, and Bill were waiting for them in the foyer.

They were half the way down the stairs when Harry had a cold chill wash over him. It was feeling of wanting to kill someone. At the same time his senses told him someone was casting a Killing Curse outside of the entrance. With a flick of his wand he slammed the door shut and put up a Shield. The door exploded casting debris into the shield.

Harry ran down the stairs dragging Ginny behind him. They reached the bottom of the stairs at the same time that Voldemort stepped through the blasted out door. Time seemed to stop as Harry stared at his nemesis and he at him.

Voldemort had his wand pointing in a different direction. He started turning it to point it at Harry.

Harry and Ginny reacted as one. They had their wands raised and cast a Blasting Charm. Their spells hit Voldemort in the chest at the same time. There was a loud explosion and Voldemort was thrown backwards out the door.

Dumbledore transfigured the doorway into a solid stone wall. Harry ran to them. They all grabbed onto each other and Apparated away to safety.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Headquarters was mayhem. People were shouting and celebrating. It was one hour until the New Year, but the people were acting like the clock had just struck midnight.

“I say that was a successful operation,” said Moody. He was holding a glass of amber liquid, and smiling a twisted smile on his scarred face. “Only about ten people needed medical attention, and they were all for minor injuries. Only one had anything close to serious, He got hit with a blood boiling curse. If he hadn’t had that bloody Portkey, he wouldn’t have made it. Poppy has him all fixed up and resting quietly right now.”

“That is good,” said Albus. “Are you sure a celebration like this is wise?”

“That was one of the few times we came out on top in a battle with Death Eaters.” Moody stopped and stared at Harry and Ginny. “We have something good going for us now that is why I feel like celebrating. Come on Albus it will soon be a New Year and a new beginning.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort picked himself off the ground. His body shuddered with pain as he moved. If he hadn’t cast a shield to deflect the force of the spells, he may have lost this body. He didn’t want to think about reforming his body again. It was obvious he couldn’t defeat them with sheer force of magic.

Gritting his teeth to control the pain he was feeling, he faced his followers as they returned. Many of them looked as bad as he felt. This had to be the most humiliating experience of his life. Harry and Ginny Potter were much stronger than he realized. Albus Dumbledore had changed his tactics and caught him off guard. It was obvious that he wasn’t ready to take over Britain. He needed more time. He needed a better plan to destroy Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix. He needed a better plan to kill Harry and Ginny Potter.

Back to index


Chapter 28: Springtime Lull

Author's Notes: After an exciting Christmas and New Years Eve, things seem to be slowing down. The Order now has time to regroup and plan for the future.
A special thanks to Leif for taking time form his busy schedule to Beta this chapter.


Albus stared across his desk at Severus Snape. He was looking healthy for being involved in a plan to ambush Voldemort and his forces last night. He should be weak and showing evidence of being tortured. Albus was actually afraid that Voldemort would kill him.

“You are looking rather well this morning Severus, considering what happened last night,” said Albus.

“The Dark Lord believed what he saw in my memories. Having Phineas Black’s portrait talk to me was quite effective. He was rather angry with all of his followers for being defeated so easily. He demanded that we all think about how pathetic we were against a ‘pack of Muggle-lovers’. He would call all of us in one month and ‘we best be prepared to be able to defend ourselves’ he told us.

“The Dark Lord did call me to the side. I am to brew the strongest Strengthening Potion I know and deliver it to him by tonight. I am not to tell anyone about this mission.” Severus stopped talking and stared at Albus. “What happened last night, Headmaster?”

Albus smiled at his spy. Evidently, Voldemort was hurt by Harry and Ginny’s spells. “Voldemort was surprised by the power of Harry and Ginny’s magic. He tried to surprise us in the Lestrange manor, but, as he stepped in the front door, he was hit by a spell by Harry and Ginny. Last I saw of Voldemort, he was flying backwards out the front door.”

Albus believed he saw Severus Snape smile for a fraction of a second. “Was there anything else that Voldemort said to you?”

“No, not last night” Severus replied to him. He looked away before speaking again. “He had asked me to tell him about the Potters. He wants to know how to defeat them. I am going to have to tell him something eventually.”

Albus stared at Severus. He was concerned how much Severus had been able to learn by being around the Potters. Was he able to learn about the Potters’ ability to increase everyone’s magical ability when they are close to them?

“What have you told him about the Potters?”

“Only that they have extremely powerful magical signatures, but they skills seem to be rather basic. He still believes there is more to their bond. He will want more information.”

“I will tell you more when it is necessary, Severus. We must keep the Potters’ secret, if we want Harry to defeat the Voldemort,” he said rather tersely. Severus looked stung by his words.

“I realize that, Headmaster,” Snape said with a hiss. “I must keep the Dark Lord’s trust if I am to remain an asset to the Order. To keep his trust, I must keep giving him useful information.”

“You said that he isn’t planning on meeting with his followers for a month. We have time.”

“If he asks me about the Potters tonight when I deliver the Strengthening Potion to him? What will I tell him?”

“Tell him you know nothing else, but you will try to learn more about them. After all, we don’t trust you in the Order, and you have a difficult time getting close to them. It would all be true.”

Severus sneered at him. “Yes, it would be true.”

“For us to trust you again, you will need to bring good information to us several times,” he said. He smiled as Severus’ sneer became more pronounced.

“If he decides to try to get the information from another source, he would no longer have need of me, and I would be of no use to you.”

“Where would he find someone close to the Potters? Is there another spy in our ranks, Severus?”

“I do not know if he has one, but he has had more than one spy in our ranks before.”

Albus leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers in front of his face and stared at Severus. Things are different this time around. Ginny Potter’s ability to sense people’s intentions helped them sort through possible spies. Harry’s insistence that they start organizing the Order before Voldemort regenerated his body also helped. They are also organized so only a few people are close to the Potters. If some of the newest members try to spy on them, they will know even less than Severus.

“We will take our chances that there is another spy in our ranks.”

“I am curious. Why didn’t Potter finish the Dark Lord last night when he had weakened him?”

“The time wasn’t right. Now if you will excuse me, I must get prepared for another meeting. I have a school to run.”

“Speaking of school matters, Headmaster. I am concerned about our stores of Bicorn Horn. The price of Bicorn Horn is so high on the black market that I have been offered a thousand galleons for the amount to make a single batch of Polyjuice Potion. I am concerned that some students might break into my stores and steal it for the money.”

“I will have Professor Weasley create a ward around your stores of Bicorn Horn. No student will be able get through his wards. Is that all, Severus?”

“Yes, that is all.”

Albus watched Severus Snape leave his office. It sounded like last night’s operation was more successful than he imagined. Voldemort must have been seriously hurt to need Strengthening Potions. If he was waiting a month before meeting his Death Eaters again, then they had a month before he attacks the Ministry. They had time to plan.

Albus stood up and walked to the window that looked out over the castle and the surrounding grounds. The snow storm that started last night hasn’t slowed down. The world was covered in a thick white blanket making to look clean and pure again. How deceiving this picturesque scene was; when there were people planning to murder innocents because of their blood and birth status.

He turned away from the window he hoped that the scene would lift his spirits, but it hadn’t. Last night they had struck a blow against the Death Eaters, but it would only be temporary. He would have thought better of last night’s activities, if they had found another or two Horcruxes. They hadn’t so they still had to keep searching. He will be meeting with the executive members of the Order in an hour, and then with the others who are hunting Horcruxes.

Until that time, he was planning on studying. He had read a prophecy while in the Potters vault that he felt had been misinterpreted. He needed to read an ancient tome that only Headmasters’ of Hogwarts are allowed to read. Each Headmaster must swear on their magic that they will not reveal any information about the tome or any of the writings.

Walking to his bookshelf, he removed several thick books on advanced Transfiguration. Reaching into the bookshelf he gently rubbed his fingers across a rectangular stone in the wall. The mortar joints glowed a bright yellow before the stone disengaged and fell into his hand. Setting the stone on the shelf; he reached into his pocket and removed linen gloves. Only after pulling the gloves on, he grabbed the thousand year old book from its resting place.

Walking over to his desk he gently placed the leather bound book on his desk. The title of the book still glittered with gold leaf; The Defenses of Our School by Rowena Raveclaw, Godric Gryffindor, and Helga Hufflepuff. The book was written after Salazar Slytherin had fled from the school. The three remaining founders had devised methods of defending the school against an attack by Salazar and his followers. They recorded those measures in this book.

He turned the book to a section that he had only glanced at before once or twice.

“You certainly don’t plan on using that! Do you?” shouted Armando Dippet’s portrait.

“If I do; I will warn you and you can find your other portraits,” Albus replied to the portrait, without taking his eyes off the page in front of him. “I need you to remain silent and I forbid any of you to tell anyone living or painted about what I am reading.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny walked beside her husband to the Headmaster’s office. Everyone was in a good mood this morning, except Harry. He was still angry that they hadn’t found any Horcruxes. He was concerned about the possible loss of life if they can’t defeat Voldemort soon. The Order had been very effective at keeping the Death Eater attacks contained so far. There had been some casualties, but for the most part the innocent had been protected. Harry was still upset that ten people had lost their lives since Voldemort had been resurrected. If it hadn’t been for the Order, many more would have been killed and tortured.

No one said anything to Harry as they walked through the halls. They were all smiling amongst themselves. It was good to see everyone happy. Even Moody was happy; the Firewhiskey he had consumed last night didn’t seem to be causing him any pain this morning.

They found the Headmaster deep in thought staring out one of his windows overlooking Hogwarts. He hadn’t prepared the proper amount of chairs for them to meet, so Remus started Transfiguring them until there were enough for everyone to sit down.

“Is something wrong Albus?” asked Amelia Bones.

The Headmaster turned with a start as though he had forgotten they were in the room. He walked away from the window and sat behind his desk.

“I got lost looking at the school. It is so beautiful on a morning like this,” he said, with a whimsical air to his voice. “Does anyone want tea or something to eat before we start talking?”

“We all came from the great hall, so we had plenty to eat,” said Moody. His magical eye was fixed on Albus. “How about you, are you feeling all right?”

“Yes, I am,” he replied with a slight smile. “I had a discussion with Severus about an hour ago. He said Voldemort is angry that his followers were defeated last night and told them he didn’t want to see them for a month. Severus was also asked in private to brew a Strengthening Potion for Voldemort. Evidently, he was hurt by the spell you two cast on him.”

“It was a simple Blasting Curse,” Ginny said to everyone.

“Even your simple spells aren’t simple spells, Gin,” stated Bill.

“Why didn’t you finish him?” shouted Moody standing up. “We need to cut the head off this snake as soon as possible.”

“He has artifacts that are protecting him,” said Albus. “As soon as we destroy these artifacts, the Potters can destroy Voldemort. Don’t forget Alastor, his followers are almost as deadly as he is.”

“Bah! I know that,” growled Moody. “If he falls others will step up to take command of the organization. It will be a blood bath between his followers. We just need to sit back and ensure no innocents are hurt as they fight each other. Cut the head off the snake; the body will squirm like it wants to live, but it too will die.”

“I would prefer to avoid open warfare in Britain Alastor,” said Amelia Bones.

“It’s too late Amelia,” snapped Alastor. “The longer this war goes on the more chances that he will win and innocents will be hurt. We may have hurt them last night, but they will be back and better prepared. They will hit us hard and precisely. Voldemort will want to crush the Order in one attack.”

“Alastor, we have some time to make plans to defend ourselves and other magical people who are just innocent bystanders,” said Albus. “Amelia, I think it is imperative that you increase security and plan out measures that you can be protected and signal us in case of a full-blown attack on the Ministry.”

“Albus, you know if he attacks the Ministry. I will stay and defend it. I will not let him take over the Ministry,” she replied vehemently.

Ginny could feel her heart up in her throat. Her father was one of Amelia’s unofficial bodyguards. Would he stay and try to protect the Ministry till his death. He also had responsibilities at Potter Manor. Bill had reworked the Blood wards to include her immediate family, so she and Harry didn’t need to admit everyone into the estate.

“Could you two work on plans to defend the Ministry?” asked Remus. “I would think that the first thing to do is figure out how best to attack it, and then figure out how to defend it.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” said Harry. “The two of you know that building as well as anyone. Alastor, you always said that you need to think like a Death Eater to capture them. Can you think like Voldemort to plan an attack?”

“Yeah, I can do that. Amelia, I will be at Potter Manor. When you are ready to start planning, look me up.”

“I’ll do that.”

“When are we having another Order meeting?” asked Moody as he stood up to leave.

“I was thinking about the weekend following this coming weekend,” said Albus.

“That sounds good to me,” added Harry. “Will Severus be there?”

“I don’t think he will be able to attend,” replied Albus.

Everyone else in the room agreed with the time. It was decided to have it at Grimmauld Place in case Severus might hear about it and show up. It was obvious that he aided the Order last night, but that didn’t mean he was trustworthy. Ginny trusted him. It was her ability to sense people’s emotional state. She could tell he was trustworthy and wanted to defeat Voldemort and protect Harry. However, almost no one else trusted the greasy git. He might be trustworthy, but he was still a greasy git.

“I guess we need to leave Amelia,” said Moody. “These people will need to discuss their top secret mission they are on. Are you doing anything the rest of the day?”

“No, we could start planning today,” she said with a scowl. “Why must you always be such an unpleasant person, Alastor?”

Moody started hobbling to the door. He stopped and looked back at Madam Bones. “Pleasant and polite people die at an alarming rate in my profession, and I prefer to stay alive.” He finished talking and clumped out the office door at a brisk pace.

Ginny could hear his wooden leg clumping all the way down the spiral staircase. Madam Bones wished everyone a good day and a happy New Year, before following Moody down the stairs. After the door closed, they all turned back and stared at each other for a few minutes.

Harry spoke up first. “I am sorry that I couldn’t find any Horcruxes in those houses.”

“I doubt that you could have, because I don’t think they are there,” said Remus. “I had a bit of an epiphany last night. I just remembered something that the Headmaster had said about Tom’s personality. These pieces of his soul had to be hidden at significant locations. The Locket was at a place where he may have first tortured someone and decided he liked it. The ring was in the broken-down home of his Grandfather. Those two were located at places important to him.

“The remaining four should be located in significant places to the community. The diary was left at Malfoy Manor, the wealthiest, known, family in Great Britain. Lucius also took great pride in how elaborate and expensive his estate looked. I am guessing that Voldemort left the diary with Lucius because of the prestige of his estate. I think he probably has a Horcrux in each of the following places; the Ministry, Hogwarts, and Gringotts. They are three of the most well-known structures in Great Britain. It would fall in line with his desire for prestige in the magical world.”

“If that is the case, who do you think placed them in those locations?” asked Harry. “Gringotts will be a tricky place to take a Horcrux from. I am assuming it would be in someone’s vault. The only legal way to get into someone’s vault would be with the owner’s permission or an order from the Wizengamot. I understand those are very hard to obtain. Where in the Ministry could a Horcrux be located?”

Ginny was getting concerned about Harry’s emotional state. His frustration with not being able to find the Horcruxes and destroy them before Voldemort regenerated himself was frustrating him.

“We must continue to believe that Voldemort wanted artifacts from the original founders of Hogwarts,” said Albus. “Having a Horcrux at the Ministry creates a problem with our theory. If there was an artifact of the founders in the Ministry, someone would know about it.”

“I find it hard to believe that they would try to place a Horcrux in the Ministry, Moony,” said Sirius. “There would be too much of a risk of someone moving it or tossing it in a bin, unless it is something very prominent.”

“Unless it was in the Department of Mysteries,” said Remus. “Rookwood was employed there?”

“Why do you think it was Rookwood?” asked Bill.

“It is just a hunch,” replied Remus. “The only other member that I would consider Voldemort giving a Horcrux to would be Dolohov, and I don’t think he is British.”

“That is mighty thin reasoning,” said Sirius.

“I know nearly transparent, but it is the best we have to go on at the present time.” Remus sighed and looked at everyone. “Look we know about Hufflepuff’s cup. The only thing we haven’t accounted for was Ravenclaw’s lost Diadem, and a third item.”

“I just thought of something,” said Bill. He nearly jumped out of his seat when he spoke. “Bartemius Crouch was Imperiused to remove a prophecy from the Hall of Prophecies. Could that have been a Horcrux?”

“It is possible,” said Albus. “It was the Prophecy concerning Harry, though. I suspect that Voldemort wanted it to hear the actual Prophecy.”

“Could I go and get that Prophecy and see if it is a Horcrux?” asked Harry.

Ginny smiled at him. His dark mood had suddenly lifted with this latest revelation.

“Contact Madam Bones, Harry. She could arrange for you to go into the Hall of Prophecies.” Albus Dumbledore said.

“I will check through Hogwarts for a hiding place for a Horcrux,” said Sirius.

“It would have to be a place that Voldemort could have accessed when he came for a job as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” said Remus. “I am guessing that was when he hid it here. I would like to go through all the memories you had collected, Headmaster.”

Ginny noticed that Dumbledore was hesitant to grant Remus’ request. It seemed strange like he didn’t want Remus to see something.

“If you want you can take the Pensieve to your quarters and view the memories there. I am afraid that I must spend some time actually being the Headmaster of Hogwarts. The students are coming back tomorrow.” Albus smiled at Remus.

Ginny watched Albus carefully. He was being deceitful. She was sure about it, but she wasn’t sure why he was being that way. The only thing they could do is trust him, and hope that nothing was wrong.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The students returned to Hogwarts with a great deal of excitement. It must have been a rather good holiday for most by their raucous nature. The snow had continued to fall and was piling up rather quickly.

Snowball fights were a common occurrence. They started out as once or twice a day, but now it seemed that there was always someone running in from the outside covered in snow. The entrance hall’s floor was constantly wet with melting snow. It was mostly from the shoes of the students as they returned from Herbology and Care for Magical Creatures classes. Filch had petitioned the Headmaster to eliminate all classes outside. He wanted all activities where students would leave the building stopped to eliminate them bringing snow inside and having it melt on the stone floors.

Some students were even bringing the snowball fights inside with them. Several sixth year students received detention for casting a charm on snowballs so they could store them in their trunk until they had the opportunity to attack whoever they wanted. Sirius was the one that gave them detentions, which amounted to him sitting around and talking about the pranks he had pulled and asked the students what they have done so far in school.

Ginny accompanied Harry into the Hall of Prophecy, but the orb that Bartemius Crouch had tried to remove wasn’t a Horcrux. It was the recording of Trelawney’s prophecy about him and Voldemort. He was disappointed but he was sure he could feel some dark magic in Hall. They were under a time constraint and she convinced him that they could comeback another time.

The snows stopped falling on the twentieth of January. Hogwarts and most of Scotland were buried under almost two feet of snow. Quidditch games had to be rescheduled, because none of the teams could practice for most of January. Filch did get his wish and the Headmaster had cancelled Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures, because it was so difficult for the students to make it to the classes.

Ginny and Harry spent all their spare time studying magic again. They were concentrating on defensive magic and also spells that were meant to disable and harm. They also spent time reading and studying their Arithmancy and Ancient Runes. Bill had developed into a good Professor, so they didn’t even take time to assist him.

At the end of the month, they had another meeting with Moody and Madam Bones in the Headmaster’s office. Moody and Madam Bones had done a great deal of researching the defenses of the Ministry. They had a map of the Ministry’s construction. It was placed between two Muggle buildings. There were parts of it that were magically expanded to fit all the departments’ offices. The Atrium was the place that had been magically expanded the most to accommodate everyone entering and leaving the Ministry.

The Ministry was the most vulnerable at night. Madam Bones had already pushed a change of security through to decrease the possibility of Voldemort attacking at night, when there were only five or ten security people on staff. She had the Floos closed down except one and an Anti-Apparation Charm raised so people could only come through one Floo at a time, from the close of business one day until 7:30 AM the next morning. She also increased security and ensured that Order members were on duty at all times. She had to fight with Minister Fudge to get the increased security measures approved.

If one was to invade and try to take over the Ministry, the lifts would be the greatest hindrance. People would have to use them to get to the various floors to secure the building, and they would also be vulnerable when the doors opened. Madam Bones was the most concerned about the security of the individual floors. She was concerned that Voldemort could plant enough supporters on each floor to secure it before they attacked.

They wanted to call a meeting and get the word out about their plans to keep the Ministry from falling. They also wanted to find out who was going to fight against Voldemort’s forces and supporters and who wanted to remain hidden as possible spies. At the present time, Madam Bones estimated that they only had twenty fighters in the Ministry. There might be ten more of the spies that would be willing to fight, but she couldn’t be sure.

There are only forty more fighting members outside of the Ministry, but Albus and Harry counted as more than one fighter each. Still they could possibly be outnumbered three to one. A more conservative number would be two to one. Their only hope was the fact that outside of Voldemort’s inner circle. Their fighters were usually untrained. They just hope that Voldemort doesn’t train his young Death Eaters like Moody has been training the Order members.

Remus had gone through all of the memories again, and came to the same conclusions. He had even asked Professor Dumbledore and Alastor Moody for some memories to expand his research. He was sure that a Horcrux was hidden at the Ministry, Hogwarts, and Gringotts. If Voldemort gave one Horcrux to Rookwood, he would have given another to Bellatrix. Rookwood was an obvious choice to place a Horcrux in the Ministry.

Remus was still sure that Voldemort looked at Bellatrix as his most favored Death Eater. She was extremely loyal to him, and from all sources, she was the one that took the lead to torture the Longbottoms to find his possible location. The only thing that he wasn’t sure about was what had been placed in the Lestrange vault.

Sirius said he was in the process of trying to come up with a listing of the most likely hiding places for Voldemort within Hogwarts. He did suggest a trip back down to the Chamber of Secrets. Ginny wasn’t thrilled about that idea, and Harry was even less thrilled. However, they both agreed to it, when school was on break. They didn’t want anyone to accidently see them entering the girls bathroom. When Sirius suggested doing it after curfew, Ginny refused, because she needed her sleep. Albus Dumbledore laughed at the idea. He said some nights there are more children in the halls after curfew than during the day.

Overall January finished without a lot of fanfare. There were no raids to go on. There were no attacks by Death Eaters, and Minister Fudge claimed responsibility for the drop in crime.

The one thing that really changed during the month of January, was Ginny’s pregnancy. She was starting to feel more pregnant. She could feel the baby moving now, and it made her more excited. A couple of times she tried to get Harry to feel the baby moving, but he seemed to refuse to touch her, which was another problem.

Harry was a wonderful husband. He was kind and considerate to her. He supported her when she wasn’t feeling all that well. He never complained about her mood swings, but he also had grown more distant physically from her. He hardly ever touched her outside of holding her hand as they walked or allowing her to curl up beside him when they were relaxing or studying. Ever since Christmas, he has been slowly pulling away from her physically. Ginny tried to be patient. It was so hard for her not to confront him. He usually figured out what he was being stupid about before she needed to talk to him. This time he seemed clueless. She let things go through January. She started pressing him for answers about how he was feeling for the first two weeks of February. When Valentine’s Day came, she had enough. It all started with the simplest of requests. She wanted some extended lie in with Harry that morning, but he refused and got out of bed.

“What is wrong Harry?” she asked him. Tears were stinging her eyes. She was not a weepy type of a girl, but Harry really hurt her with his refusal to at the least hold her.

“I have too much on my mind,” he replied without looking at her.

She had to take a deep breath. She didn’t want to let this get into a shouting match, and she was very close to start screaming at him. She could tell he had just lied to her. She went to probe his thoughts and feelings and felt his Occlumency shields up and strong against intrusions.

“Don’t lie to me.” She said with a clipped tone. Each word dripped with venom. “I can tell when you are lying, and you are most definitely lying to me. What is the truth?”

Harry stood facing the fire place. He ran his hand through his hair several times without saying anything.

“What are you blocking with your Occulmency shields that you don’t want me to know?”

He straightened himself up slightly and looked over his left shoulder at her. “I think you probably know already, but were afraid to tell me.”

“Harry, I am clueless what is wrong with us. Work with me! Stop giving me these vague answers! Tell me what is bothering you! What is happening between us?”

He turned to look at her. She could see that he had unshed tears in his eyes. He looked so defeated. He simply pointed at his scar on his forehead. “This is what’s bothering me,” he said above a whisper.

“Are you getting headaches?” She asked him. He seemed to be well recently.

“No, Voldemort has been rather quiet. I don’t get headaches unless he gets angry or is extremely happy. I am a Horcrux. I can sense them, because I hear them in my head. I always convinced myself that I was feeling Dark Magic, but that is a different feeling. A Horcrux almost speaks to me.

“You also figured it out a long time ago. That was why you suddenly wanted to get pregnant, so we could continue the Potter lineage?”

He stared at her; his green eyes boring into her brown eyes. She never expected him to figure it out this early. She had no reason to believe that he would remain clueless, except that she wanted him to remain oblivious to the fact that he is a Horcrux.

“Why don’t you hate me?” he asked with venom. “I am going to be the cause of your death. I am a Horcrux, Ginny. The only way to defeat Voldemort is if I die. You are going to die shortly afterward.”

The tears started falling down his face. He looked so pale and frail standing there weeping. “I never wanted this for you Ginny. I only wanted to make you happy and give you a wonderful life. I am going to kill you because of this stupid bond.”

“Stop Harry, please sit down,” she pleaded with him. She wanted to hold him in her arms right now. He had dropped his Occlumency shields. She felt a wave of anguish and guilt wash over her. He meant everything that he said. He wasn’t at all concerned about his death. He was only concerned about her dying.

“Harry, love, please sit down.” She patted the bed beside her. She could feel the conflict growing in his mind. He wanted to sit down, but he also was ashamed or unworthy to touch her.

“How can you love me? I have a piece of the most evil man ever, in my soul.”

“If I had not sensed it when you are having those headaches, I would have never known. Harry, you are not evil. You are a sweet, loving, and caring man. That is why I love you. You are a wonderful person and husband.”

Harry finally sat on the bed. Ginny pulled herself onto his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. They sat like that for several minutes. Harry had finally broken down and wrapped his arms around her holding her close to him.

“I am not afraid to die, Harry. I figure if we can survive to continue the House of Potter and defeat Voldemort, we would have accomplished a great deal in our short lives.”

She stopped talking and held him. He kissed the top of her head, and adjusted his hold on her to try to hold her tighter to him. Neither one spoke for several minutes. They just held each other for support. They were two teenagers who realized that they would never outlive their teenage years.

“Are you upset with me for not telling you as soon as I figured it out?” Ginny finally broke the silence.

“I know you had your reasons. I supposed one of them was that I would act exactly like I am acting now.”

“No, it wasn’t because I was afraid you would act like you are acting right now. I was afraid you would act like you had a few minutes ago. I like the way you are acting now.”

She could feel his chest shake as he chuckled at her comment.

“What do we do now?” he asked.

“We continue to fight and hunt Horcruxes. I want you to be the very last Horcrux to be destroyed.”

He readjusted his position so he could kiss her on the lips. They spent several minutes gently kissing, before Harry spoke again.

“I like your plan,” he told her. “Have you told anyone else?”

“No, but I think Dumbledore suspects that you are a Horcrux. He is a very intelligent man. I never spoke to him about it, but I can sense something about what he knows.”

“What about Bill, Remus, and Sirius, have you told them?”

Ginny sighed. She felt guilty for not telling them about Harry being a Horcrux. She just couldn’t see a good ending to that conversation. They would be torn between two sets of feelings; they would be worried and concerned about the situation, and angry they weren’t told earlier. It was really a no win situation for her.

“It is going to be very hard on Sirius and Remus,” Harry said. “We must tell them or make sure they don’t sacrifice themselves for me when it is time for me to die. I don’t want them to die unnecessarily.”

Ginny started chuckling at Harry. At no point did he question or show concern about his death. He was more concerned about everyone else’s feelings. “It is alright to be upset that you must die for this cause, Harry. You don’t always need to be concerned just about everyone else’s feelings and wellbeing.”

“If it wasn’t for that prophecy, I could consider my own happiness. The closest thing I can get to happiness is defeating Voldemort. If I don’t kill him, he will kill me, where is the happiness in that scenario?

“Ever since my mother jumped in front of that Killing Curse, I have been living on borrowed time. I used to be alright with that, because I thought we could defeat him before he regenerated his own body. Now that he has his body and many of his Death Eaters back to him. He will be even more powerful and difficult to defeat. People are going to die because of me, Ginny. How can I live with that weighing on me?”

“Stop thinking about everything and everyone else for just an hour, Harry,” she demanded. “I just want to lie in bed and have you hold me.”

Harry smiled at her. His eyes were full of love and admiration. There was no faking the look he had on his face. Ginny’s heart melted at the sight of him. He reached out and gently ran his fingertips down her cheek. That simple touch sent shivers down her back.

“You are the best thing that ever happened to me.” He leaned forward and gently kissed her lips.

After several seconds of bliss, she pulled away from him. She moved away from him on the bed to allow him plenty of room to lie down. He laid down and pulled her to him. Their faces were almost touching. She could feel the warmth from his skin radiating against her face. She loved it. It was tender moments like this that made being married to him so wonderful. She knew they would need to get up and start their day soon, but for right now the rest of the world can wait. She needed this time with Harry, and she could tell he also needed it.

“I hope the baby has your hair and legs,” he said softly to her.

She chuckled at his comment before actually replying. It was such an absurd thing to say at a moment like this. “Why not hair like yours. There are too many redheads in my family already, and why my legs? I like the way your legs look.”

“I have knobby knees and skinny legs,” he replied to her.

“Correction, you used to have knobby knees. You have nice legs, and I like your hair.”

He smiled at her. “I like your hair better and you have much nicer legs than I do. If there is one thig I hope our child has it is my eye color. I would like my Mum to…,”

He stopped talking. He didn’t need to finish the statement. It was obvious what he meant.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny was standing in the Headmaster’s office without Harry. She hadn’t been apart from him for so long that she was feeling a little on edge right now. Albus had sent her a note asking her to meet him in the office at this time and to bring that wonderful cloak of Harry’s. She was pretty sure what he wanted.

“Good Evening Mrs. Potter,” said Albus very formally. “I was hoping that you could sit in on a conversation I am about the have with Severus Snape.”

“Am I to assume that I will be under the cloak?”

“Yes, Mrs. Potter, I was hoping you would be. It would make things more realistic if he didn’t know you were there.”

Ginny looked at the Headmaster to try to figure out why he wanted her.

“I still don’t trust Severus completely,” stated the Headmaster without looking at her. “He would realize if I would try to perform Leglimency on him. You have a gift that can help us determine if he being truthful with me…,”

Ginny cut off the Headmaster. “I can feel if he isn’t being totally honest or if he is trying to lie. The problem is I can’t determine exactly what he is lying about.”

“I will try to question him, so that you may be able to tell when he is lying about a certain subject.”

“All right, I will just go over to that corner and wait,” Ginny indicated a corner of the room that was fairly remote, but she could see the Headmaster’s desk. She was going to ask when Professor Snape was going to arrive, but a knock on the Headmaster’s door told her it was now. She walked away from the Headmaster’s desk and lifted the cloak so it would cover her as she walked.

“You may enter,” said Albus Dumbledore from behind his desk.

Severus Snape entered the room and looked around. He appeared to be looking for someone. After his brief inspection he approached the Headmaster. Ginny was getting nervous that he may have heard them speaking. She noticed he was limping as he walked.

“I assume that we are alone,” Severus said with a sneer at the Headmaster.

“Yes, Severus, we are alone. Why would we not be alone?”

“I was expecting some of the other Order members to be here. This, after all, concerns all of the Order of Phoenix.”

“Many of them still don’t trust you, Severus.”

“Do you trust me?”

“I trust that you will try to accomplish your mission, and see Voldemort defeated. He did kill Lily.”

Severus openly flinched at hearing his Dark Lord’s name, but he scowled at the Headmaster as if he had just caused Severus serious pain.

“Must you remind me of her death,” he hissed at the Headmaster. “Do you think I have forgotten her, or what I did to bring about her death? I will protect Harry Potter, and do what I must to bring about the Dark Lord’s downfall. Lily Evan’s death will be avenged, even if I must do it.”

Severus Snape stopped talking and gathered himself to gain control of his emotions. Most people wouldn’t think it was that large of an outburst, but Ginny could feel his raw emotional pain at the mention of Harry’s Mum.

“The Dark Lord is training his newest recruits. He is personally training them in using Dark Spells. He wants to be sure that they will not be defeated the next time they encounter Order members. He wants Order members dead and suffering.”

“What battle tactics is he training with them?”

Ginny couldn’t see, but from her vantage point she was sure Snape stared at the Headmaster and raised a single eyebrow in disbelief. “I said he wants the Order members killed or physically damaged.”

“Yes, you did say that. Has he revealed when he is going to attack the Ministry?”

“The Dark Lord has decided to actually blood his fighters first. He is going to start attacking random villages starting next Wednesday. The first place he is going to attack is Ottery St. Catchpole. I do not recommend that the Potters join with the defense of the village. I get the impression that the Dark Lord and several his best fighters will be waiting for them to appear.”

“I will pass that information along. Is there anything else?”

“Yes, the Dark Lord is asking about the Potters.”

“What have you told him already?”

“I mentioned that I cannot get close to the Potters. I also mentioned that their magic has grown with their bodies. He has been doing some research into soul bonds. He seems to believe that if one of them die the other will also die.”

Albus Dumbledore looked at Severus for several seconds before responding. “Yes, that is true. All he needs to do is kill Harry or Ginny and the other will die within several hours.”

“That is most disturbing to know,” said Severus quietly. “Hopefully, they both avoid the fighting until they are ready to destroy the Dark Lord. They are going to be targets at every battle.”

“Haven’t they always been, Severus?”

“That may be true, but it will be the Dark Lord’s personal goal in everything he does in the future to kill the Potters. They should have killed him when they had the chance.”

Albus sighed and stared at Severus for several seconds. Both men remained silent for a long time. Ginny was starting to wonder if they were silently talking amongst themselves.

“Is there anything else?” asked Albus.

“No, that is all for now. Is the Order ready for the Dark Lord’s revenge?”

“I hope they are. We shall soon know.”

Severus turned and walked out of the office without any further comment.

Ginny waited until she heard the door close to pull the cloak off her. Albus looked at her with a grim expression. “I guess one of your secrets are out. I will inform Alastor about the attack. I would appreciate it if you and Harry do not go on this mission. It would be best if the two of you concentrate on finding and destroying the Horcruxes, all the Horcruxes.”

Ginny stared at him. Did he just hint that he knew Harry was a Horcrux? She would think about that at a later time. “I agree with you. If our members are getting killed on these raids, Harry will want to accompany them to protect the Order members.”

Albus sighed heavily. “I guess we will address that situation when it arises.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny was curled up beside Harry staring at an Advanced Charms book. She hadn’t turned a page in over twenty minutes, and she didn’t even notice. Her mind was on the man she was sitting beside. They were planning on going down to the Chamber of Secrets this coming Saturday to try to detect a Horcrux.

She was also thinking about next Wednesday, when the Death Eaters are supposed to attack Ottery St. Catchpole. She believed everything that Severus said about the Voldemort’s plans. The problem will be keeping Harry away from the fight. He was the most powerful wizard, with the exception of Dumbledore. There were times when Ginny wondered if Harry wasn’t more powerful, the difference is that Dumbledore knew more magic.

“Dumbledore met with Snape today,” she said to him. She hadn’t given him any warning. Unlike her, he was concentrating on his textbook. He looked up at her with a puzzled expression. It took him several minutes to even register who she was talking about. When he did, his expression turned serious.

“How do you know?”

“Where do you think I was this morning? Hogsmeade? Honestly, there are times when you can be so bloody thick.”

“Sorry, I was studying Charms,” he replied a bit angrily.

“The Headmaster likes me to use my abilities to decipher if Snape is lying to him. Snape rarely lies, but he can and will tell some brutal truths.”

She stopped talking and stared straight ahead at nothing in particular. She wasn’t sure how to proceed without ensuring that Harry will charge off to attack Voldemort.

“Ginny, love, what did Snape say?”

“He said that Voldemort is training his followers in the Dark Arts. Voldemort also wants to blood his troops before attacking the Ministry. The first attack will be next Wednesday in Ottery St. Catchpole. There are two reasons for these attacks. One is to see if his troops are willing to harm others and the other reason is he is setting a trap for you and me. Voldemort realizes that to kill you, he only needs to kill me.”

Anger radiated off Harry in waves. It was so bad that Ginny had to try to block her Empathy powers. He stood up and looked like he was ready for a loud angry argument, but his eyes caught the bump that was starting to show when her robes were laying a certain way. All the anger seemed to melt away from him as he stared at her stomach.

“We need to find those bloody Horcruxes and then hopefully he doesn’t attack the Ministry until our baby is born. Until then we can’t confront Voldemort,” Harry growled. His voice was a nothing but a raspy growl. He sat back down and ran his hand through his hair. Picking up his Charms textbook, he stared unblinking at the page. After about two minutes, he turned and looked at Ginny’s stomach. He let out a wan smile and went back to reading. Ginny smiled at him. He was once again acting far more mature than most people twice his age.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny sat in the second floor girls’ bathroom. She was waiting for Sirius and Harry to fly back out of the Chamber of Secrets. All three of them had gone down to search for another Horcrux. The stench of the decaying basilisk had made her nearly wretch while she was down there. Her stomach was so queasy at the moment that she couldn’t sit near the entrance of the Chamber.

She was helping with their mission anyway. She was now watching for any girls to enter the bathroom. She would shoo them away before they could notice the massive hole in the wall where a sink was supposed to be located. She hated being this weak, but her illness was because of her pregnancy. She heard Harry, Sirius, and Remus flying up the tunnel to the bathroom.

She could sense Harry’s disappointment before he even emerged from the Chamber. Evidently they didn’t find any Horcruxes down there. That was another location they could scratch off their list of possible hiding spots. They were all getting frustrated with hunting for the Horcruxes. It seemed like all the possible locations were off limits to them. They certainly can’t openly search the Department of Mysteries without attracting attention. They can’t start searching through the vaults in Gringotts without raising suspicions, and Hogwarts is such a large place that they have no clue where to look for the Horcrux, if it is even there.

Sirius, Harry, and Remus stood in the girl’s bathroom looking dejected. They were speaking quietly amongst themselves ignoring Ginny completely.

“Hey, I am here too,” she said to them.

“How are you feeling,” asked Harry.

“Better now that I am not smelling that dead snake. I can’t believe something could smell so horrid.”

“I want to go and wash this smell off my clothes,” said Remus.

“I’m with you,” agreed Sirius.

“I need to do that too,” said Harry. “Do you want to go and watch the rest of the Quidditch match after we are clean?” He asked the other two men.

“If it is still going on, I’ll go,” said Sirius.

The four of them left the girls restroom and walked towards their living quarters. Ginny had to walk in front of them, because the stench radiating from their robes made her sick. She looked over her shoulder to speak them. “I’ll call on a House Elf to clean those robes while you three are getting cleaned up. I know they have laundry services and various other places in the castle for them to maintain the castle, but I wonder where they keep them hidden.”

Ginny took a couple more steps before realizing the men had stopped walking. She turned to see them talking quietly amongst themselves. They seemed oblivious that she was even there. She heard Harry say something about “calling Dobby”, but that was all she heard before they all broke apart with much happier moods. She turned to stay ahead of Harry as they went to their quarters. She walked in and stepped to the side to allow Harry to go straight to the bathroom to get himself clean. He dumped his robes in a pile by the bathroom door. She didn’t need to call a House Elf as one appeared carrying Sirius and Remus’ clothes.

As Harry bathed, she sat down and picked up her Charms book to do some studying. Something caught her eye. There were several small vials filled with a silvery smoke like substance. She recognized them as memories. They were sitting on the side of a small end table. She picked one up and saw it had “Father’s memories” written on it. It hit her that Harry was creating memories so they could speak to their child after they had passed away. She started to tear up at the thoughts of this. Harry was preparing to die, and he wasn’t afraid for his own life.

After Harry got out of the shower, she picked up the vial. “I see you are preserving memories for our child.”

“I figured that will be the only way we will be able to speak to her directly. Do you want to say anything? You can make a vial too.” His voice was calm, and very business-like. I was almost he didn’t realize what death was or wasn’t afraid of it.

“What did you and the other two discuss on the way back here?” She asked.

“We are going to ask a House Elf, probably Dobby, what they know about hiding places in this castle.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

They checked with Dobby about a hiding place and discovered the “Room of Come and Go”. It was a cavernous room filled with all types of broken and dangerous items. Harry could sense several dark items. He was pretty sure that the Horcrux was in there, but he would need to search to find it. It was determined that every Sunday afternoon Harry and she would search for the Horcrux in the “Room of Come and Go”.

The Death Eater attack on Ottery St. Catchpole was not as damaging as many feared. It appeared that many of Voldemort’s recruits really couldn’t fight. Two weeks later, there was another attack that Snape had warned them about. The Order was once again prepared and the Death Eater recruits were quickly disarmed and sent away without their wands. Two days later, several bodies of the recruits that had been disarmed had appeared by Hogsmeade in a field. They had been tortured and then killed.

The third attack came three weeks after the second. It was in a small village in Scotland. Snape had once again warned the Order about it and its location. The timing was wrong. It occurred the day before Snape said it would. IT had been a much fiercer battle than before. Two Order members had been killed: Sturgis Podmore and Caradoc Dearborn. Harry was upset. He believed that if she and he had joined the battle the outcome would have been different.

His mood quickly improved the following Sunday. He had finally found the Horcrux. It had been located inside of a locked cabinet that was permanently stuck to the floor.

Six sets of eyes stared at the beautiful diadem. Preservation Charms had kept it as new as the day it was forged by goblins. No one spoke, but everyone was thinking the same thing, who should destroy it.

Ginny gained confidence. She was most closely related to Rowena Ravenclaw of all the Founders. She pulled Rowena’s dagger out of her boot and stabbed the diadem without warning anyone. Everyone gasped as she swiftly brought the dagger down onto the diadem. The point hit beside the stone set high in the front of the diadem. She barely nicked the diadem’s metal filigree, but it was enough. A chill filled the room as a strange hissing sound emanated from the diadem. She could see Harry was visibly shaken. She was too far away from Harry to block out the piece of Voldemort’s soul.

The hissing stopped and the diadem looked to melt in front of their eyes. The other Horcruxes were destroyed violently using the sword of Gryffindor or a basilisk fang. This was the first one that they could actually watch as a piece of Voldemort exited the Horcrux and died.

Albus Dumbledore smiled as he looked up from the destruction of the diadem. “It seems we have destroyed another one. There are only three left,” he said.

“Don’t you mean two,” Remus corrected the older wizard.

“Ah yes, you are correct Remus. There are only two left.” Remus eyed Harry suspiciously.

Ginny wasn’t fooled. Dumbledore knew that Harry was the last Horcrux. It appeared that now Remus may be figuring it out. She walked over and placed a calming hand on Harry’s shoulder. He immediately started to feel better. She could almost feel the turmoil inside of him. He didn’t like to lie to everyone about him needing to die.

“Ginny, Is Harry all right?” asked Remus. “He seemed to react rather strongly to the Horcrux being destroyed.”

Harry stared at her. She could feel his thoughts and emotions through their bond. He wanted to tell them.

“We always said that we can’t keep secrets from each other. It isn’t good for the Order,” he whispered to her.

“What was that he said?” asked Bill.

“Do you want me to tell them?” she asked him.

Harry shook his head to the negative. He straightened up and stared at Sirius, Remus and Bill. They were staring at him with strange expressions on their faces. Ginny could feel the tension rising in the room.

“Harry, what is wrong?” asked Sirius. He looked the most nervous of them all.

“I am a Horcrux,” Harry calmly said to them. “To defeat Voldemort, I must die.”


Back to index


Chapter 29: Britain Falls

Author's Notes: I was trying to think of something to say about this chapter, and I couldn't think of anything that would give the readers a clue to what was going to happen in it. The only thing I can really say is: Let the action begin.
My Beta did a wonderful job of going through this long chapter and finding my errors and pointing out some of my clumsy hillbilly speech patterns.


“I can’t believe you kept this from us. How could you lie to us about being a Horcrux? Don’t you have any consideration for anyone else except yourself? What do you expect me to tell our parents?” screamed Bill.

Harry stared at him. He had never seen Bill like this in the two and half years that he had known him. He was red in the face, and he glared at Ginny with a maniacal expression. Harry had expected this type of reaction from Sirius. He had always been the emotional one. Sirius had dropped into a chair that Harry didn’t remember being there earlier. Remus was standing there with a resigned look on his face. He looked sad but not shocked.

Ginny was an emotional wreck. Tears were glistening in her eyes. Her face was drawn tight and her hands were clutched in fists at her side. Harry turned to take her hand to give her comfort. He wanted to yell at Bill for upsetting Ginny.

“I made Remus and Sirius swear an Unbreakable Vow to die to protect your lives. I just gave them a death sentence because of this.”

“That isn’t necessarily true, Bill” said Remus calmly.

“If Harry is dead what does it matter if I am dead,” said Sirius with venom.

“Sirius don’t say that. Ginny and I were thinking about making you Godfather,” Harry said trying to console his godfather.

“Bill, I realize that I will die with Harry,” Ginny growled at her brother. It was obvious that she was having a hard time containing her anger. “However, if I can give birth to a child and my death brings about the downfall of Voldemort, I will feel that my life has been worthwhile.”

The room was silent at Ginny’s statement. Harry knew she felt this way, but the rest seemed shocked at her revelation. Bill looked close to tears as he stared at her.

“How long have you known about this?” Remus asked.

Ginny stared at him before responding to Remus’s question. “Ever since we met Tom in the Chamber. I started sensing this darkness in Harry about six months into our relationship, but I was not sure what it was until I met Tom. The signature was identical to the one from the Horcrux. It had to be a piece of him in Harry’s head.”

It bothered him that she never said anything to him before this past month. Was there anything else she was not telling him?

“I didn’t realize it, or I wasn’t sure until Christmas. Finding this last Horcrux confirmed my fears,” he said. He looked at Sirius, Remus, and Bill. “I don’t want anyone else to die, especially Ginny. Please believe me, I don’t care if I die. I am living on borrowed time, because of what Mum did when she died for me. I am hoping there is some way to save all of you.”

Harry had to fight back the tears. These people in this room were the first people he could remember caring for him in his life. He never received that feeling from his actual relatives. The possibility that he could be the cause of their deaths was tearing him up. Ginny came over and wrapped an arm around him. Normally, she could drive away any pain he was feeling, but this only made him more emotional.

“I’m sorry this bond is causing this,” he said through tears.

Ginny pulled him into her and whispered in his ear. “It’s all right love. It will be all right.”

Harry hated that he had broken down like this in front of everyone. He felt like some little kid again; not the leader of the fight against Voldemort.

“Could I say something,” said Albus Dumbledore. He waited until Harry had controlled his emotions before speaking again. “Unfortunately, I cannot think of any way around getting rid of the Horcrux, Harry. The most important thing is to ensure that you are the last Horcrux to be destroyed, and that Voldemort is the one to end your life.”

“Why must it be Voldemort?” asked Remus.

“Harry, has your reaction to the destruction of the Horcruxes become more intense with each Horcrux that has been destroyed?”

“Yes, how did you know?”

Albus smiled. “I have noticed your reactions. So far Voldemort doesn’t realize the Horcruxes have been destroyed, or he would have done something to protect them. If we can keep him from realizing the Horcruxes are being destroyed, his reaction to Harry’s death should be so intense…,”

“You want to have Harry’s death set up Voldemort so we can kill him?” shouted Sirius. He was standing up and glaring at the Headmaster.

“I don’t want my death to be meaningless,” he said to his godfather. “If my death can ensure that Voldemort dies, then that is fine with me.”

“That is exactly what I said too.” Ginny repeated her opinion from before. “I just hope that I can have some time with my child before that happens.”

Harry hugged her. She looked so sad when talking about spending time with her child before her death. “There is one other thing that you all should know. I have been seeing visions that could only be from Voldemort.”

“Exactly, what do you mean by visions?” asked the Headmaster.

“I see things from his perspective, almost as though I am looking through his eyes. I can also feel his emotions. It only happens when he is extremely happy or extremely angry. I think he would be angry if he discovered that his Horcruxes are being destroyed.”

“Can he see into your mind, Harry?” asked the Headmaster.

“I don’t think so?”

“Good, that is very good,” sighed the Headmaster.

“I have been using my Occlumency Shields. I usually have these insights in the morning or late at night.”

“That is good that you can use Occlumency. Excellent idea to teach him that skill,” the Headmaster complimented Bill, Remus, and Sirius. They all chuckled at the irony of his compliment.

“We taught him Occlumency to protect his thoughts from you,” said Sirius unapologetically. The Headmaster seemed to find this rather humorous.

“It is still very useful skill considering the circumstances,” chuckled Dumbledore.

“We need to slow things down,” said Remus. “If Harry’s sensitivity to the Horcruxes increase as we destroy them. We must assume that Voldemort’s sensitivity also increases. We should wait until the baby is about six months old before we destroy any more Horcruxes.”

“Can we wait that long?” asked the Headmaster.

“We will have no choice,” barked Sirius. “Ginny and Harry deserve some time with their child, before…,” Sirius choked up and couldn’t talk for several seconds. “Well, before we finish this.”

“I understand, but we may not have the last say in how fast we pursue Voldemort’s destruction,” countered Dumbledore.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry watched as Ginny prepared for bed. She was brushing her long red hair. He couldn’t believe how beautiful she was. Even now when she was pregnant it didn’t take away from her radiant beauty. He realized that it was a rather shallow thing to think, but he was glad he bonded with her. He just wished they had more time together. It was the only unfair thing that has happened to him since he met her in Diagon Alley almost three years ago.

“Argh, I will be glad when I don’t have to take that anymore,” said Ginny setting her Potion vial down. She stood up. She was wearing a light weight dressing robe over her nightgown. The robe was unfastened and fell to the sides revealing her large belly. “I feel like a whale. No! I look as if I swallowed a whale.”

“I think you look beautiful,” Harry said sincerely. Ginny smiled and light blush covered her cheeks.

“You are a good husband,” she said as she laid down beside him. “In two months, you will make a wonderful father.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus looked at his old friend Alastor Moody. Over the past few months Alastor was the happiest that Albus had ever seen him. He was here at Hogwarts to discuss the training of the various Order members. Potter Manor’s expansive grounds and it extensive security measures had allowed Moody to conduct large scale training exercises. He wasn’t just teaching spells, but formations and techniques to attack large scale targets. There had been at least two training sessions held every week. It was something that wasn’t possible during the last war.

“I have been thinking about somethings, Albus,” said Moody. “Just listen to everything that I have to say before judging my plan.”

“You have my promise,” replied Albus. He was slightly amused at Alastor’s request. It was usually Alastor who would not let anyone finish their explanations before criticizing them.

“All right, I think we need to put two people inside of the Muggle Minister’s office,” Alastor declared. “If Voldemort takes our Ministry, he will most certainly use the connection between the two Ministers office to cause havoc. We all know he hates Muggles. What would be his next thing to conquer, but the Muggles’ section of Britain? I don’t think he will be satisfied with just taking over the Magical Britain. Maniacs like him never are.

“It will leave us shorthanded and it might not even be enough, but I would like to place two of our best in their Ministry. We would actually need to have at least four rotating through there, so people in our society wouldn’t notice them gone. What would be really nice is if we could get some Polyjuice Potion. That way the Muggles would think they are the same people. Do the Potters have any in one of their estates?

“I also would like for the Potters and to be with us in case Voldemort would try to overthrow the Ministry. I have a plan that would take advantage of their unique powers. It has become apparent that they are more powerful when they are standing side by side. Hell, Albus, I think they are probably more powerful than even you. I know they are expecting a child in two months, but without them I don’t know if we could drive Voldemort and his followers out of the Ministry.

“Which brings me to something that has been bothering me. Why hasn’t Voldemort attacked the Ministry? He started attacking, back in February, villages every two weeks, and then he slowed down to making only two attacks over a six week period. I thought he would have attacked sometime over the last month, but he hasn’t. It is now the beginning of May and he still hasn’t attacked. What is he waiting for?”

Moody had stopped talking for a few seconds before Albus said anything. “I cannot remember the last time you talked this much my old friend.”

“I hate waiting. I hate this sitting here waiting for Voldemort to execute his plans. I am assuming you haven’t found his Horcrux, and that is why you are waiting?”

“Horcrux?” calmly asked Albus. He tried to be nonchalant and cover up his surprise at the mention of a Horcrux.

“You are looking for an artifact that gives Voldemort his power. The man came back to life after his Killing Curse rebounded on him. You also said that the time wasn’t right to kill him back on New Year’s Eve. The only explanation would be he made a Horcrux and you need to destroy it.”

Albus stared at his old friend and one of the original Order members. What should he say? It was obvious that he had figured it out.

“Are you actually worried that I will tell this to the wrong people, Albus? Do you know a more cautious person than me?”

“Voldemort did not make a Horcrux…,”

“Bah, don’t lie to me,” barked Moody.

“He made six,” said Albus. He smiled at the shocked expression on the old Auror’s face.

“Six, no wonder he barely looks human anymore.” Alastor stopped talking and rubbed his scarred chin before speaking again. “It’s not like he was all that human before.”

“We have found and destroyed four of them. The last two are particularly difficult to locate. Until we locate them, we can only keep Voldemort and his followers under control. It may take some time to locate the last two Horcruxes. We may be stuck in this defense mode for some time.”

Alastor sat in deep thought for several seconds. “That explains a lot. Now that I know, It would be best if you Obliviated that information from my mind. I will be satisfied in knowing that you are progressing in your quest, but if I am captured there will be nothing there for Voldemort to use.”

“Are you sure you want me to Obliviate you?”

“I said it didn’t I? I don’t want to be the leak that causes you to fail.” Alastor stopped talking and look of concentration was on his face. “I am ready, just take the thoughts at the front of my mind.”

Albus lifted his wand and pointed it at Alastors forehead. “Obliviate!”

He watched as Alastor’s face went slightly blank before quickly recovering. “Do you like my plans for training?”

“Yes, I do. I will contact Harry and obtain some Polyjuice for you.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

It was a clear and cool May evening in northern Scotland. The sea beat against the stony shores at Potter Manor creating a calming thrum to fill the air. The sun was nearing the horizon of the North Sea casting long shadows over the grounds. Arthur and Molly Weasley were enjoying this lovely panorama from the open windows of their bedroom at Potter Manor. They had a perfect view looking out over the green grounds of the estate.

All the members of the Order of the Phoenix were there also, but they were there to practice battle tactics. Arthur and Molly Weasley were not included in the battle practice, because they were not scheduled to be in the strike force that might be needed to invade the Ministry. It bothered both of them since their son and pregnant daughter were in the strike force. Both of their children might be able to beat them in a duel, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want to protect their children.

“Arthur, I need you and Molly to be my eyes for this training session. I can’t watch, because I will be in the middle of everything,” said Alastor Moody.

“Alastor, why must Ginny be involved?” asked Molly. “She is due to give birth in a month. She shouldn’t be doing things like this. I will take her place. I can be pretty handy with a wand.”

“I know you are, Molly. Poppy asked for you to help with the injured,” replied Moody. “No offense to your magical abilities, but your daughter is one of the most powerful witches around. With her and her husband standing side by side, they could probably clear the Ministry by themselves.”

“Well, I don’t like it,” shouted Molly.

“I didn’t think you would. If we can get this formation down. Your daughter will be safe. Arthur, Molly, make sure we move as a unit. Tell me if someone is creating problems with our formations. I can’t always see things while I am in the middle of everything.”

“We will Alastor,” said Molly. “Just don’t make them do it over and over again for no reason.”

“I won’t if they get it right the first time,” Moody growled as he walked away.

“They will be running this until dark,” sighed Molly, as Moody exited the room.

“We best make ourselves comfortable, because it will be a long night,” said Arthur. He Transfigured a chair into a large elevated settee with comfortable pillows. He helped his wife up onto the settee before climbing up to snuggle up beside her.

“This would be rather romantic Arthur, is wasn’t for the battle exercises,” sighed Molly.

“Go,” shouted Alastor Moody from below them.

Sirius, Remus, Harry, Ginny, Albus, and Bill moved out of the front door as a unit. Ginny was in the middle of the group as they stepped out of the door. They quickly shifted to face to their left. They were casting practice spells that were not much more than flashes of light. The spells would leave marks on a screen that was there target. Moody had bodies on the screen so people could test their accuracy.

Molly watched with pride as Bill and Ginny hit a person with each spell the cast. “Our children are doing rather well, Arthur.”

“I don’t think anyone in that group has missed yet.”

“Yes, I suppose,” sighed Molly. Her husband just burst her happiness at the talent of her children. “They are the best we have.”

After the first group had moved out away from the manor door, a group led by Alastor moved out behind them. The second group were two people wide and moved quickly firing spells out wider to the right. Ginny’s group kept moving slowly to the right. The second group had all moved out to the right until the last person was standing beside Sirius. The back row of the second group turned and moved quickly to their left. They started firing spells as they moved past the left of the first group.

When the last person moving left cleared the first group, the entire group broke off and ran to the left. Molly lost sight of them as they ran along the manor. The people that remained to the right of the first group also broke off and ran to the right. Ginny’s group started moving forward as the other two groups also moved forward. The other two groups moved forward until they came to the screen that Moody had set up.

“Stop,” shouted Alastor. “Everyone look where you are. Are you in the right place? I see we have had some errant spells cast. You need to hit with every spell in practice, when people are firing spells back at you, your accuracy is going to get worse. Everyone back in the manor, we are going over this again.”

Alastor cast a spell and erased all spell hits. Molly thought they were actually pretty accurate. There were only about a dozen misses and a hundred hits. Alastor didn’t even look up to them as he returned to the manor.

They ran the formation again five minutes later. Alastor was again upset that people were missing the targets. They ran the formation a third time thirty minutes after they ran the first. Again Alastor didn’t ask them what Arthur and she thought.

“What are we doing up here. If he isn’t going to ask us our opinions,” complained Molly. “Ginny shouldn’t be working like this it will be hard on her back.”

“Did I hear my name?” said Ginny as she walked into the room. “Alastor sent me up here so he didn’t have to deal with ‘that lunatic mother of mine’. Our group is good, I pity the other two groups until they get more accurate.”

She waddled over to the settee. “Help me up please.”

Arthur hopped down off the settee and expanded it before helping their daughter up. Molly pulled Ginny next to her and wrapped an arm around her before kissing her cheek. The smile that Ginny gave her warmed her heart. Her daughter still enjoyed being treated like a little girl.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones rode the lift to the fourth floor with Arthur Weasley. It had been a ritual over the past month. Alastor had pulled four of the more competent Order members who worked at the Ministry to work in the Muggle Ministry. It had created a shortage of guards for her. Arthur worked on the same floor, so it was a natural that they would enter the Ministry together.

Arthur Weasley was a man like she had never met. He was a talented wizard and extremely smart. Yet, he chose one of the least respected positions in the Ministry. He was not unmotivated. He just chose a profession that he would not get wealthy or highly respected. She even looked at his employment record. He showed tremendous promise for loftier positions. Watching him handle his temperamental wife and the disappearance of his daughter when she bonded with Harry impressed her. She could see the concern of a loving father, but he was always level headed and patient when the reports came back that his daughter could not be found.

“I am not sure what Percy is planning on going into after Hogwarts,” said Arthur Weasley. “I know he won’t be training dragons like Charlie.” Arthur chuckled at the statement. “I had thought he might give the Ministry a go, but we will wait on his NEWTs before applying for a job.”

The lift door opened to the fourth floor. “You can use me as a reference Arthur, if Percy decides to work at the Ministry.” She smiled at the comment. The only way her support would help Percy, would be if they can defeat Voldemort and clean up the Ministry.

Arthur walked with her to her office. She saw Dawlish sitting outside the door of her office. He had his feet up on the receptionist’s desk. Upon seeing them, he stood up and started to leave.

“Madam Bones,” Dawlish said with a nod of his head. He walked past her without saying another word.

Amelia had a strange feeling about Dawlish’s actions. He seemed to be in a hurry to leave. “John, anything happen last night?” she asked the retreating Auror.

“No,” he said. He barely turned around to answer her. “It was quiet,” he said over his shoulder while walking away.

Amelia had a bad feeling. Without hesitating she Stunned Dawlish.

“What is wrong Amelia?” asked a shocked Arthur.

“There is something wrong. I can feel it.” She turned and looked at the door to her office. It was closed and looked perfectly normal, but she knew something was off. She lifted her wand prepared to cast a diagnostic Charm on the door.

“Hold on Amelia,” said Arthur. He had placed a hand on her shoulder. “I’ve learned a few things from Bill over the past year. Let me check the area around the door.”

Arthur stepped forward and cast several Charms around the door frame. The door glowed red for a second. Arthur stepped back. “We need to get out of here,” Arthur nearly shouted.

Amelia ran beside Arthur until they were in the hall beside Dawlish’s Stunned body. Arthur cast a spell and pushed Dawlish behind the wall with them.

“Arthur, what is the meaning of this?”

Arthur looked up and down the hall. No one was in the hallway. “Your door has been hexed. I am pretty sure that it is set to explode when it is opened. There are other Charms to check that, but I don’t want to risk us getting blown up.”

“Why would they set my door to explode?”

“It would be heard throughout this floor. Amelia, I think they are planning on attacking the Ministry this morning.”

Amelia’s heart started racing. What Arthur said made sense, and it appeared that Dawlish was complicit with the plans. It was time to put the plans that she and Alastor had devised in action.

“I am going to open your door. If it explodes, I will leave as quickly as possible. If it doesn’t than I will further investigate what was done to it. Someone cast a deadly hex on your door, I think it is an exploding Hex.”

“All right Arthur, if it explodes. You get out of here, and don’t forget your promise to me,” she whispered.

Arthur nodded, before turning to cast a spell at the door. Amelia could hear the small click of her door opening, before the air was rent with a massive explosion. It knocked her and Arthur off their feet. She hit the floor and the impact jarred the wand out of her hand. Arthur quickly recovered. He handed her wand back to her.

“Time to go,” he said before getting up and running off.

Amelia could hear voices shouting around her. She was quickly coming to her senses. The air was acrid with thick smoke. It clouded the hallway as it poured from her office waiting room. She looked around and came up with a plan. She could use this as an opportunity to get to the magical transportation office and ensure that Voldemort can’t control it. Pushing up from the floor, she started running towards the lifts. She needed to get there before the lifts get closed down.

Running while crouching low to stay below the smoke, she started casting Patronus Charms to warn the Order. There was no doubt now that the attack on the Ministry had started, because she could hear spells being cast in various departments on her floor. Voldemort’s supporters had caught her allies by surprise. She wished she could help, but it was already too late. She had to gain control of the Magical Transportation Department as quickly as possible.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore stared at the spot that Amelia’s Patronus had been. He knew what this meant. If the Ministry falls, the Order would have no choice, but to resort to drastic guerilla tactics. He didn’t want that, but that wasn’t the worst thing that was going to happen. He knew that Hogwarts would become Voldemort’s next target. He could not let that happen. He shall prevent this school from falling under Voldemort’s control.

He was not thinking positive about this attack. All his dark thoughts would be unfounded if they are able to prevent the Ministry from falling completely under Voldemort’s control. With a new positive attitude, he started casting his Patronus Charms. His bumblebee Patronus would be inconspicuous, if it would appear in a crowd. His biggest task shall be convincing Minerva to remain here, in case something would happen to him. She could take control of Hogwarts.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones stood shoulder to shoulder with Gregory Bright. She had been able to gain control of the Magical Transportation Department within minutes of the start of the attack. Upon gaining control of the Department, they stopped the lifts. It was going to be impossible for Voldemort and his Death Eaters to quickly take over the Ministry. She had no idea how many Death Eaters made it into the Ministry using the Floo Network, before she closed it down. It didn’t really matter, she couldn’t stop them from Apparating into the Atrium. That had to be closed off in the Atrium.

“Here they come again,” shouted someone from the front of their formation.

Savage and other Voldemort sympathizers had gained control of the Magical Law Department floor quickly after the explosion. He was now leading the attack to regain control of this department. It was only a matter of time before they would succeed. There were already many dead lying on the floor. There was originally fifteen Order members fighting with her. Now there was only six. She knew this was their last stand. They had been able to hold them off for nearly an hour, but they wouldn’t be able to stop Voldemort’s supporters any longer.

She cast a Blasting Curse at the Portkey tracking board destroying it. Watching it she knew that there was a battle raging in the Atrium. She didn’t know how it would turn out, but she couldn’t risk that the Order’s method of Transportation could be tracked, she turned back to the battle. Spells were already flying at their defensive positions. She saw two more Order members die.

Casting spells to defend her movements, she worked her way up to the front. She wanted to do one thing before she died. She saw her opportunity. Savage was growing bold. He was moving quickly from hiding spot to hiding spot. She waited until he stepped out from behind an overturned desk.

Savage cast a Severing Curse as he moved out from behind the desk where he was hiding. Amelia did something that she loathed to do.

“Avada Kedavra,”she shouted and with satisfaction she saw the traitor of an Auror fall dead.

Then the wall beside her exploded and everything went black.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny held her hand over her belly. Her son, James Sirius Lee, was kicking up a storm. It was to be expected considering she was extremely nervous. She and the rest of the Order was standing in the maintenance area of an office building. Harry was standing beside her, but he was as nervous as everyone else. Voldemort was attacking the Ministry.

Amelia Bones had warned everyone about the attack. She had sent a Patronus to Albus Dumbledore about thirty minutes ago saying that someone had sabotaged her office and it appeared the attack was starting. She sent another Patronus fifteen minutes later saying that she and several other Order members had secured the Magical Transportation Office. She never mentioned Ginny’s father. He was to return to Potter Manor as soon as possible after the attacks started. They all left the manor ten minutes ago and he still wasn’t there. Harry had transported her Mum and Madam Pomfrey to France to prepare for casualties.

Harry put his arm round her shoulders and gently kissed the side of her face. “It will be fine. We will all get out of here alive. I won’t let anything happen to you and our child.”

“You can’t forget that means you must protect yourself too.”

“I will not do anything heroic to get myself killed,” he said with his lopsided smile.

“I love you, Harry James Potter.”

“I love you two too, Ginevra Molly Weasley Potter and James Sirius Lee Potter.”

Ginny looked over Harry’s shoulder and saw Sirius pretending to retch. She started sniggering at the sight.

“If you are all done having your laughs, we have a serious situation here,” barked Alastor Moody.

Ginny smiled at Sirius as he didn’t even responded with a cheeky remark to Moody’s choice of words. Everyone knew the gravity of what they are about to do. The last group had just Portkeyed into the basement. It was time to start the attack.

“Group one you can open up the wall,” barked Moody. “A good Blasting Curse should do it.”

“I have a better idea,” said Albus Dumbledore. He raised his wand and drew glowing red lines on the wall separating them from the Ministry’s Atrium. He passed his wand along the lines a total of three times. There were a total of six sections that he had created. “Sirius levitate the top section and move it to the extreme right. Remus Levitate the next one down and move it to the right next to Sirius’s section. Ginny…,”

“My section will be beside Remus’s.”

“Harry the next section. Bill the one after that, and I will take the bottom one. If you are all ready? I will break them now.”

The Headmaster jabbed his wand at the wall. The stone where the red lines were exploded outward. Everyone had cast their Levitation Spells on the sections of wall. The opening was larger than they had ever worked with before and this was a new twist to the plan.

They moved the sections of the wall out away from them as they stepped out. Ginny could feel that there was a large crowd to their right as Moody had guessed.

“To the right, they are all to the right,” she shouted out to everyone.

Sirius quickly shifted his section of wall to the right and dropped it. He moved forward and knelt behind it. Remus followed his lead. They quickly had a low wall the hide behind to help block the spells that were being fired at them. Harry dropped his section of wall and his protective shield went up surrounding him and her. He was so nervous about her getting hit by a stray spell that he had blocked them from casting any spells.

“Harry drop the Shield. We can’t cast spells through it,” she shouted at him. “We must help them, Harry. We can’t hide behind the Shield.”

Spells were flying at them constantly. Sirius was pinned down. He was barely able to cast any spells that weren’t defensive. Remus and Bill weren’t faring much better. Albus Dumbledore was the only one able to go on the offensive. He was using the shield to protect him so he could attack. The second wave was pinned behind them and the blocks of stone. There must have been seventy wizards and witches casting spells at them. Most of them were deadly. Harry’s protective nature made their shield impenetrable. She could see Voldemort standing behind all his followers smiling.

“Harry, we need to attack or we will fail!”

Harry looked at her with a look of fear and anger. He was afraid that something was going to happen to her and the baby, but without their help this attack will fail and the Ministry will fall.

Remus let out a scream as spell hit his shoulder. The spell hit his Dragonhide cape and it still cut through to his shoulder. Sirius had blood seeping from his hair. Harry must have seen the damage to his friends. Rage filled him that Ginny had never felt before.

Their protective Shield disappeared. Harry swung his wand in a large arc. He cast an Inflamare spell as he did. The clothes of the half the front row of Death Eaters caught flame. He started firing Spell after Spell at them. The wave of the battle seemed to shift. She was able to start disabling the Death Eaters. As they were trying to extinguish their burning clothes, she was Stunning them. She didn’t care that her actions might cause them to have severe burns. She wanted to stop this battle.

The rest of their group was now standing up and taking the battle to the Death Eaters. Moody was leading the second wave out to their right. They were able to take advantage of the shift in the battle. The Death Eaters were firing spells wildly at them. Many of the spells were colliding with the walls of the Atrium and the Fountain of the Magical Brethern. Large pieces of stone fell from the walls as the errant spells started to destroy the Atrium. Many of the statues of the fountain were breaking up and falling into the water.

The Order members were more accurate. Many of the Death Eaters and their sympathizers were going down in waves. They were getting revived by others, but it still took two wands out of the battle and helped shift the battle more towards them.

Harry was firing spells at a frantic pace, but they were accurate. She was getting encouraged. She saw several of the opposition turn to retreat. Bellatrix, Voldemort, and Rodolphus Lestrange started Killing and torturing the people retreating. Their ranks turned and started fighting with more ferocity. Bellatrix and Rodolphus now joined the battle. They were casting Killing Curses.

Albus Dumbledore changed his tactics. He was Levitating blocks stone that had been blasted off from their barricades up and in the way of the Killing Curses. The blocks of stone exploded creating a stone dust in the air between the two groups.

“Move that far barricade,” shouted Moody.

“Move Bill,” yelled Harry. Bill jumped behind the block with Harry.

Harry flicked his wand and sent the block at Voldemort. It exploded with tremendous force. Large chunks of stone the size of bushel baskets flew into the line of Death Eaters. Voldemort was unharmed but Ginny could feel his anger growing. Harry must have felt it too, because he hesitated and went to grab at his head. She touched his shoulder and could feel the spike of pain in his head. It quickly disappeared after she touched him.

The second wave of the Order had split into two groups. The one group was moving quickly to the right Francis Proudfoot was leading the second wave. They had moved past Bill. It was time to move forward and engage the line of Death Eaters. The group of seventy wizards and witches that they had first engaged were now a ragtag group with their holes in their ranks. The only thing that bothered her was his Inner Circle. They would inflict damage on the Order.

“Throw the barricades,” shouted Albus Dumbledore.

Ginny Levitated her block of stone. It had large gouges out of it from all the spell fire. She sent it forward towards the line of Death Eaters. They were all casting spells to break up the blocks of stone, but it didn’t stop them completely.

One large chunk of stone flew back towards her and Harry. He put up his Shield and it just bounced off the shield and landed in the fountain. Everyone started moving forward. Moody had gathered what was left of his flank and moved to the far right. Francis Proudfoot lay dead, but the rest of his flank moved forward to the extreme left. Sirius and Remus took point for their group.

The fighting was intense and their forward progress was slow. She was hit with a Cutting Hex on the left leg. It wasn’t severe. It only slowed her down a little. As they moved forward, Harry and Albus were busy using the stones to block the Killing Curses being cast towards the Order fighters. They had been able to block most of the Killing Curses. Some still made it through, as evidenced by Francis Proudfoot’s dead body. They weren’t able to stop the cutting and Cruciatus Curses that were being cast. Many of the Order members were bleeding and some had been hit by Cruciatus Curses. Fighters beside the tortured members would pull them away from the curses breaking the torture. Others who were too injured to fight were using their Portkey to get medical help.

Remus was hit with the Cruciatus, and Sirius pulled him away from the Curse only to get hit by a Cruciatus. Ginny could see who had cast the curse and Stunned the wizard. Sirius started casting Spells before he was able to stand up.

She looked at Bill. He was looking tired and haggard, but he was still fighting fiercely. He was able to fire off Spells with great regularity, but it was obvious he was tiring quickly. She could sense that everyone around her was tiring except Harry. Why wasn’t Voldemort retreating? Most of his fighters were now down. He should realize that he wasn’t going to win.

Harry fired a Cutting Hex at Voldemort. He raised a Shield but the force of the Spell had knocked him back a few steps, but Voldemort still seemed quite pleased with how the battle was going. Ginny looked behind her, to see if there were any other fighters coming around behind her. She couldn’t see anyone, why would Voldemort be so confident.

Bill’s blood curdling scream caught her attention. She turned to see him break away from his position. He was running to his left towards the Death Eaters. Ginny stared in the direction of where Bill was running. Her blood ran cold. She saw her father lying on the ground being tortured by a Death Eater.

“No!” she screamed, and took off running towards her fallen father. She fired spell after spell at the people torturing her father. Bill and she quickly drove all the Death Eaters away from him. As her anger and fear subsided she realized that she had run too far from Harry. They had lost their magnified magical ability. She had to get to her father. She was almost to him, when Bill stopped and pointed his wand at their prone father. She couldn’t figure out why. It suddenly occurred to her, now that she was close enough to feel his emotions. This man on the ground wasn’t her father. His clothes were too new and too expensive.

It was a trap!

She sensed the Killing Curses being cast at her. It wasn’t one, but several.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was frustrated. Voldemort should be retreating. The Order was able to break up his forces. Soon it would only be him and his Inner Circle. They may be formidable, but Harry was sure that he, Ginny and Dumbledore could defeat them.

A wave of emotion washed over him. It was coming from Voldemort, and it was a happy thought. Harry couldn’t concentrate on the emotions because he was busy trying to block the Killing Curses coming their direction and casting some offensive spells. He heard Remus’s scream of agony. He was going to free him from the curse but Sirius has already broke the spell. His father’s best friends were bleeding and looking worn out. He could sense people using the Portkey because their injuries were too severe to continue the fight.

Harry turned back to move closer to Voldemort’s forces. He noticed Bill moving away to the left. He was supposed to stay close to him and Ginny, to feed off of their magical power. Harry was going to tell him to come back when he felt a pull on his magic.

Ginny had also moved too far away from him. He pulled his attention away from the battle. He saw Ginny running behind Bill. He stared at where they were running for a second before another round of Killing Curses were fired. They were all aimed towards Ginny. He was able to lift enough stone off the ground to intercept all of the Killing Curses. He was getting ready to yell at her, but she had already stopped running. Something was wrong, he could see by her and Bill’s reaction.

It was then that he saw another wave of Killing Curses being cast at her. He had to get her out of there. He focused completely on her. He wanted her back in his arms. His focus was on entirely on her and ignoring everything else around him. He saw her disappear as the Killing Curses passed through the space that she had earlier occupied. However, he was helpless when he sensed the powerful Killing Curse coming at him. It was going to hit him a split second before Ginny would reappear.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny knew Harry had pulled her back to him. She had been so thick to fall for that trap. Everything changed just before she reappeared. A cold iron hand grabbed her heart and made her convulse in pain. She hit something hard and warm. It was Harry. He was dead, she could feel his soul pulling at hers.

The cold that had gripped her heart was quickly spreading throughout her body. Her sight was darkening. Then she felt another pain. She had a massive contraction. She was going to die. She could feel Harry’s dead soul pulling on her, but she wasn’t going to give up that easily. She will fight pulling with all her love and desire to bring Harry back to her.

Someone grabbed her, she couldn’t focus on who it was. She had to focus through the pain of her contraction to pull Harry’s soul back to her. As her contraction eased, she felt a pull behind her navel.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!” Rang Bellatrix Lestrange’s magnified voice throughout the Atrium.

Albus stared at the place that Harry had laid with a convulsing Ginny lying on top of him. Remus and Sirius had grabbed them and activated their Portkeys. The remaining Order members all started activating their Portkeys to escape. They were taking the severally injured and dead with them.

“The Dark Lord is victorious,” screamed Bellatrix Lestrange. “All shall bow before him.”

Albus looked up and saw something encouraging. Voldemort was staggering. The Horcrux in Harry was destroyed. However, he still had two Horcruxes to destroy. Albus couldn’t stop the Ministry from falling. Reaching into his pocket, he activated the Portkey to take him back to Hogwarts.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort felt weak, but he had defeated Harry Potter. There was no one left to defeat him. The Ministry was his. All of magical Britain was now under his control. He looked out over the Atrium. There was still dust floating in the air from all the destroyed stone. It will be remade to how he wanted it to look. It would be made to honor the greatest of the Hogwarts founders Salazar Slytherin.

“Lucius,” he called. “Come to me.”

He watched as Lucius Malfoy worked his way to him, Lord Voldemort. Somehow, the title of Lord Voldemort didn’t seem glorious enough for him anymore.

“Yes, my Lord,” said Lucius as he knelt before him.

“Go and collect Cornelius Fudge.”

Lucius quickly stood up and walked to the lifts. There was one still working. He needed to get the Ministry in working order again.

“Rookwood, go and put this building in order. I want it presentable in three days. In three days, we shall redefine the place wizards and witches have in the world. We shall no longer hide and cower from Muggles. They shall become our servants. We are the superior race.”

He shouted the last line. Everyone in the Atrium cheered him. He walked to the highest pile of rubble and looked out over his followers.

“I shall lead us out of this self-imposed prison our society is in. As your leader and by my magic, I shall make us the greatest society to ever walk this world.”

Everyone started shouting and cheering again. Bellatrix climbed the pile of rubble to stand by him. She was always his most loyal follower. Maybe in three days he will make her more than that. For now he had other things to set straight. He smiled as Lucius brought a nervous looking Cornelius Fudge out of the lift. Fudge was looking around in dismay at the condition of the Atrium.

“Well if it isn’t the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge,” he said with an oily voice.

“Yes, I am the Ministry of Magic as appointed by the Wizengamot, Lord V…v…,” Fudge said. He smiled at the Minister as he went to say his name but stuttered when he couldn’t bring himself to saying it. “I would like to know why you have done this to my Ministry.”

“How dare you question the Dark Lord,” screamed Bellatrix. Her wand was out and pointing at the Minister of Magic.

He laid his hand on Bella’s arm to stop her. He saw the spineless creature quivering with fear. He was originally going to kill him quickly, but he changed his mind.

“I am Lord Voldemort and I have no need for the Wizengamot or is there any need for a Minister of Magic, because I alone shall rule. Bella make sure that Rookwood cleans up his body after you are done playing with him.”

He walked down the pile of rubble and towards the lifts. He pointed at Lucius Malfoy. “Show me to my new office. I am assigning you to be in charge of Hogwarts. Take as many of my subjects as necessary to Hogwarts and drive that Muggle lover out of the Headmasters office. I am tired of hearing about him.” He had to yell because the Minister’s screams of pain and agony were echoing off the walls and ceilings.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore stood in his office staring out the window that overlooked the school. He had called for Minerva McGonagall five minutes earlier when he first came into the office. He knew she would be here in a few seconds. She had always been a trusting assistant. She didn’t always agree with his decisions, but she always carried out his wishes.

He turned to look at the portraits of the Headmasters. “It is time for you to move to your other portraits. As being I am still the Headmaster of Hogwarts, you are all forbidden to speak of what you have seen in this office to anyone.”

“You are planning on being the last Headmaster of Hogwarts,” said the portrait of Phineas Black.

“I will not let the school fall into his hands. Shouldn’t you be moving to your other portrait?”

The image of Phineas sneered at him. “Do you remember where my other portrait is? It is in the dungeons. I am coming to an end no matter where I reside.”

“I am sorry Phineas,” sighed Albus.

“Don’t be, I wasn’t liked by anyone even when I was alive. No one will miss me.”

The door to his office opened revealing his Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall.

“Albus, didn’t things go well?” asked Minerva. She was wringing her hands.

“Harry Potter is dead. Voldemort has control of the Ministry. It will only be a matter of time before he comes to take control of Hogwarts. Call all the students together, I want you to try to organize the Muggle born and the half-blood students and escort them to safety.”

“Where would that be, if he has gained control?” snapped Minerva.

“I would suggest Potter Manor. Harry may have died, but the Order is still there. It is our best hope.”

“What will you do?”

“I am going to remain here and ensure that the school doesn’t fall into his hands,” Albus said. He saw the disbelief in Minerva’s eyes. “Do not worry about me. Please take care of the students. If he gets them, I shudder to think what he would do to them. I have something else for you to do for me.”

He moved to his desk and opened one of the lower drawers. He pulled out a wand holster and removed the wand that he received all those years ago before going to Hogwarts. Placing the Elder wand in the holster he handed it to Minerva.

“Please do not use that wand. When the time is right, and it no longer has a master, break it.”

“What, why would I do that? What are you going to use for a wand?”

“I have my original wand. That was the wand I took from Geller. Now go and collect the students.”

Minerva looked at him, but she didn’t question him. She left to collect the students. Albus walked over and removed the ancient book written by three of the founders. He sat down and stared at it. He never thought it would come to this; no, he had hoped it would not come to this.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron Weasley was wondering what was going on today. During breakfast the Headmaster, Bill, Harry, Ginny, Professor Lupin, and Professor Black all left in a hurry. He wasn’t the only one that noticed. So far today, none of them came back except for the Headmaster. Fred and George have been checking with the Marauders Map every few minutes. The Headmaster had returned. Now they had been called to the great hall. Whatever is happening, it isn’t good.

Professor McGonagall stood up in front of them, not Professor Dumbledore. “The Ministry has fallen. We are closing Hogwarts. All students have one hour to collect their possessions. You will go to Hogsmeade where your parents will collect you.”

The great hall erupted with protests.

“Silence! This is not negotiable. Now return to your houses and get your things ready to leave.”

“The Dark Lord will hear about this,” shouted Draco Malfoy.

The Slytherins started shouting at the other three houses. Soon there were skirmishes between the houses.

The walls of the great hall shook with an explosion from the Headmasters wand.

“You all shall leave now,” he shouted from the doorway leading to the great hall.

“Maybe we should stay and you should leave, Mugglelover.” Someone shouted from the crowd of the Slytherins.

The Headmaster raised his wand without saying anything. Grating sounds could be heard from the entrance hall. Ron looked at Hermione who looked excited about something. Soon the suits of armor and the statues started entering the great hall.

“Remove the Slytherin students,” he commanded the suits of armor and the statues.

Ron started laughing at the looks on the Slytherins faces as they were escorted out of the great hall by Hogwarts armor and statues. A tap on his shoulder made him turn to see Professor McGonagall look grave at him. “I need a word with you, Mr. Weasley.”

He looked and saw his three brothers standing behind her. She walked to a side room where she took the first years before sorting. She closed the door and cleared her throat. “I don’t know how to say this, so I will just say it. Harry Potter is dead. The Order of Phoenix is in shambles right now.”

“How did he die?” Ron heard himself asking. Everything seemed so surreal at the moment.

“Killing Curse by He-who-must-not-be-named. That isn’t all. Since you are all high risk because of your parents and sisters involvement in the Order of Phoenix, the Headmaster and I feel it wouldn’t be safe if you left with the other students. I am going to be escorting the Muggleborns, the half-bloods, and the other high risk students to Potter Manor in Scotland. I feel that you should come along for your safety.”

“I am willing to help you, Professor,” said Percy. “I am Head Boy.”

“We have all had extra training,” said Fred.

“In case this day ever came,” said George.

“I’m going to help too,” shouted Ron.

“All right, Thank you. Prepare something that you can carry easily. We will be walking for days. Meet me by Hagrid’s hut in one hour and don’t be late.”

Ron watched Professor McGonagall leave. He was numb. His sister by now was dead along with her baby. How could life be so cruel? The numb void he had when he heard that Harry had died was now filling up with anger. He realized he isn’t extremely strong, but he was going to fight the bloody Death Eaters with everything he had.

He ran up to Gryffindor tower to be met by a confusing sight. So many of the fellow Gryffindors were looking like they were getting ready to hike to Potter Manor. Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan were packing a Rucksack. He wasn’t surprised by that, but Neville was also packing a backpack. Ron remembered his family was involved with the Order during the first war. No one spoke to each other as they packed. Ron led the group down the stairs to find Hermione waiting for them. She looked scared.

She flung herself into Ron’s arms surprising and embarrassing him slightly. “I am so sorry about your brother-in-law. Have you heard from your sister?”

“No, I haven’t,” he said harshly to her.

She looked at him as if he had slapped her. He didn’t have time to worry about her emotions right now. He just possibly lost several members of his family.

“We need to walk to Hagrid’s hut,” he told Hermione. Ron looked around and saw that there were about fifty Gryffindors preparing to walk to Potter Manor.

They walked as a group out of the portrait hole. As they walked to Hagrid’s, they met people from Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. Susan Bones pushed her way through the crowd until she was beside Ron. She didn’t hug him. She just looked at him and whispered. “I’m sorry. Professor Potter was a good man.”

When they reached the entrance hall, there was another group waiting for them; House Elves. They continued with Percy in the lead towards Hagrid’s. As they were walking the Head Girl, Penelope Clearwater, moved through the crowd to walk beside Percy. When they arrived at Hagrid’s, Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were waiting for them.

“I don’t have to tell you that you will be in danger if you go on this trip. The sad thing is you will probably be in less danger than if you stayed or had gone to Hogsmeade. I just learned that the Minister of Magic had been murdered and the Wizengamot has been disbanded.

“The trip will be slow and tedious. We must stay together, if we are to survive. Hagrid will be leading us until we get through the Forbidden Forest. Then Percy Weasley, Professor Flitwick, and I will take turns leading us. We have many miles to travel. The House Elfs have brought some food for us. We must eat conservatively. Let us begin....”

Professor McGonagall was interrupted by the sound of hooves clomping out of the woods. It looked as if the entire herd of centaurs were standing there.

“Bane, what do you want?” asked Hagrid.

“We are all on the same journey, Hagrid,” said the large dark Centaur. “We must all walk until we pass off of Hogwarts grounds, if we are to survive. We cannot waste time standing here and talking. Your foals are slow and will make it difficult to pass through the forest. My herd will guide you to the edge of
Hogwarts land. We will even travel along with you for many more days, before we must part ways.

“We must leave now and we cannot stop until we are safe off Hogwarts land.”

“We can’t make these children walk for hours without rest,” said Professor McGonagall.

“If they do not than they will be destroyed with the castle,” said Bane.

“What are you gettin’ on ‘bout. Albus Dumbledore wouldn’t destroy Hogwarts,” shouted Hagrid.

“We have long known that he was going to be the last Headmaster of Hogwarts. The lion would rather destroy that which he loves than see it defiled by the snake. Gaze one last time upon the castle, but do not linger for we must hurry or we too may die.”

A murmuring arose from all the students. Ron saw Hermione was pale as she stared at the castle. He loved that place even though it was a school. It was one other thing he would use for motivation when he starts fighting Death Eaters.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Minerva McGonagall stared at the castle. So many years of her life was spent there. She realized that Albus was going to do something radical, but she couldn’t imagine that he would or could destroy the castle.

She thought of the wand he gave her. It was also a strange thing to do at this time. She checked up her sleeve to ensure the wand was still there. She touched the ribbon bracelet Portkey that Harry had made her, as she checked on the wand. She might as well take it off since it would have quit working now. It was braided from a ribbon her mother used to tie her hair up. Another idea popped into her head, taking her wand she cast a Detection Charm on the Portkey, to her surprise it glowed a bright blue.

Back to index


Chapter 30: Ancient Magic Reborn

Author's Notes: Here is where this story takes a sudden left turn deep into the Alternative Universe. Hopefully, everyone will like it. I must let everyone know that this chapter is actually occurring at the same time as the end of the last chapter. The next chapter, which I am working on at this time, will also be in the same general time from. There is so much going on that I couldn't pack it all in one chapter.
I would like to thank Leif for taking time out of his busy life to Beta this chapter for me. I always appreciate his comments and corrections.


Molly Weasley smiled at the gobsmacked expression on Poppy’s face.

Harry brought them to the French estate, but didn’t take them directly to the hospital wing. She and Poppy walked through the manor house with Phillippe, the head House Elf. Poppy had brought her medical bag from Hogwarts. When they reached the dining room, Poppy stopped walking and stated that they could make this room work. Molly smiled when Phillippe told her that they hadn’t reached the hospital wing. They continued through the manor and had just stepped into the wing. Poppy had stopped walking when she saw the thirty bed hospital wing.

“Why would someone build a hospital wing on a manor like this?” Poppy asked.

“The Potter family have been planning for this war for generations. This manor was originally built 300 years ago,” said Phillippe.

“I thought the same thing, when I first saw it,” said Molly. “We best get prepared. The battle could be starting any time.”

“Yes, I must get ready,” said Poppy. She found the nearest counter and set her bag down. She pulled a bottle with a dropper cap out of her bag and shook it. “I only have a half a bottle of Dittany so we will need to be cautious in using it.”

“All the beds have a full bottle in their cabinets,” said Phillippe. “They also have Strengthening, Pain Relieving, Blood Replenishing, Skin Regrowing, and Skele-Gro Potions.”

Poppy stared at the House Elf for several seconds. “All the beds have those Potions?”

“Yes, they do. They are all fresh. Potion Master Slughorn has brewed them all in the past few months.”

Poppy looked at the hospital beds for a few seconds. She put her bottle of Dittany back into her bag. “Show me more about this hospital. Do you know where the people will be appearing and what other provisions do you have at this facility?”

For the next thirty minutes, Phillippe explained all the medical supplies they had available at the estate. He introduced the other House Elves that are trained to assist her with treating the patients. They could change bandages and even monitor the patient’s conditions. They were not permitted to actually treat the injuries by international law. Poppy had a strange expression on her face after hearing Phillippe talk. Molly recognized that expression. The nurse was shocked at all the preparations the Potters had made for a war that they would never fight. There was nothing for her to do until the injured arrived. Within five minutes their first patient arrived.

There was a slight bell announcing the arrival of the Portkeyed patient. It was a wizard holding his severed wand arm with his other arm. His wand was still in the hand of the severed arm. Poppy immediately asked for a Pain Relieving Potion. Molly turned to get it from the nearest bed. One of the House Elves had already retrieved it with a vial to give the patient a dose of Potion.

Poppy gave the wizard the Potion. The House Elf Levitated the wizard to the nearest bed. Poppy waved her wand over the severed limb. “I can’t reattach your arm, because it was severed with a Dark Curse. I will save your life.” She turned to get Potions, but the House Elf had already filled vials with Blood Replenishing and Strengthening Potions. Poppy cast several spells on his bleeding shoulder before giving the wizard the potions. She went to cast a spell to bandage the wound, but another House Elf had already wrapped a bandage around the shoulder.

The next two victims appeared. They were bleeding from several locations. Molly quickly jumped in to help determine what was wrong with them. The House Elves assisted them with Potions. Molly and Poppy almost didn’t need to say what they wanted or how much before the Elves handed to them.

The victims kept coming. Soon there were ten beds filled with hurt wizards and witches. Molly was starting to worry about the outcome of the battle. They had never had this many injuries in any of their other confrontations with the Death Eaters.

The bell sounded again. Molly turned and almost fainted there lying on the floor of the hospital wing Remus and Sirius lying on top of two other people. Their clothes were cut and torn. There was fresh blood soaked in the clothes around many of the cuts. Even their dragonhide cloaks were damaged. It was the people lying under them that shocked her, not their appearance. Ginny was laying on top of Harry and he looked as if he was a victim of a Killing Curse.

“Ginny, Oh Ginny,” she shouted as she ran. Everything else in the room disappeared. All she could see was her daughter clinging onto her husband. Her dragon hide cloak also showed damage. Ginny let out a cry of pain as she writhed while clutching desperately to Harry. Molly recognized that reaction. Her daughter was having a contraction the baby was on its way. She grabbed onto Ginny’s shoulder and tried to pull her away from Harry. Harry laid there limp. If he was dead, then Ginny didn’t have long to live. Molly wasn’t going to let her grandchild die along with her daughter.

“Ginny, let go of him. We must save your baby,” Molly shouted at her daughter as she tried to pull her away from Harry’s dead body.

Molly was suddenly pushed away from her daughter. There was a silver dome surrounding Ginny and Harry. It was just like in Diagon Alley three years ago.

“Molly, Molly, What happened,” shouted Poppy.

Poppy’s voice broke Molly out of her trance. There were people appearing all around them Remus and Sirius were sitting and staring at Harry and Ginny under the witches and wizards.

“Harry is dead,” said Remus. He was staring blankly at the silver dome which separated everyone from Harry and Ginny. Ginny pulled her knees up and grabbed her bulging belly.

“Is she having contractions?” asked Madam Pomfrey. “We must get her to a bed and….”

“We can’t get to her,” said Molly. “The same thing happened to them in Diagon Alley. There is no way of breaking through that Shield. We can only wait until it falls, when Harry dies.”

“No,” shouted Sirius. He stood up and was ready to cast a spell at the Shield, but Remus grabbed his arm.

“If that is their protective Charm, nothing will break it,” Remus said.

“We can’t give up Moony. We must save them.”

The door opened from the manor. In walked a creature that Molly never thought she would see here. It was the Atlantian from the Egyptian estate. Everyone in the ward who wasn’t injured raised their wand at him as he strode slowly through the door. He looked like a tall House Elf, but he appeared ancient in age. What hair he had was wispy and white. His skin seemed to hang on him in loose wrinkles off his arms and face.

With a wave of his hand, everyone’s wands went flying from their hands. He awkwardly walked towards Ginny and Harry. When he reached the silvery Shield, he walked through it as though it didn’t exist.

Molly screamed and ran forward to grab him. He may have Banished her wand but she wasn’t going to let him hurt her baby.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny clutched to Harry. They had landed awkwardly on the floor of their French manor. The pressure of Remus and Sirius landing on top of her caused her to have another contraction. She grabbed tighter onto Harry’s cloak to find the strength to survive the pain of the contraction. She could feel Harry’s life was still close to her. She could sense his light lingering just below the surface of his lifeless body. The light was pure now. There wasn’t the taint of darkness that had existed before. The splinter of Voldemort’s soul must have passed beyond the vail, but Harry’s soul had not yet passed.

His soul was still pulling on hers, but she wouldn’t let him pass through the veil just yet. They had a war to win. They had a child to deliver, and she wasn’t going to let him stop the birth of their child.

Someone pulled on her shoulder, she didn’t know who it was, but she couldn’t let them pull her away from Harry’s body. If she lost contact, he would pass through the veil. She wouldn’t allow that to happen. The person stopped trying to pull her away from Harry. She felt as if she was alone with Harry. She could now focus completely on saving Harry’s soul. The only thing distracting her focus from Harry were her contractions. They were coming only about a minute or two apart.

“Harry, I can feel you,” she whispered to him after a particularly strong contraction. “Fight to come back to me. You don’t have to die right now. I need you. I need you to help me to deliver our baby.”

“Harry, I love you, please don’t leave me now,” she cried out as another contraction hit her.

Something caught her attention. Someone was close to her. She looked up and noticed that she and Harry were surrounded by that silvery Shield that Harry always made to protect them. The sight of that shield gave her comfort, because it had always been Harry that produced the Shield.

What caused her concern was the sight of the Atlantian walking slowly through the Shield as though it wasn’t even there. He had his hand raised. She wanted to move away from him, but she couldn’t. He lumbered forward towards her. His hand finally touching her forehead. It was warm and comfort flooded through her, just a second before images of another land filled her consciousness.

Magic flowed around him as he concentrated on absorbing it. He had to wait in this rejuvenation chamber. The magic was pulled into this chamber at the base of the pyramid by its very construction. The mixture of the finest marble cut to precise dimensions and geometrical shapes helped to concentrate magic. It would flow down the pyramid to the base where the chamber was located. The walls and floors of the chamber were constructed of small pyramids of various colored marbles; white, pink, green, and even the rare black. The design made the magic flow to the center of the floor where he was kneeling absorbing it.

He had a task set before him that he would need all the magic his soul could hold. He had spent the last three hundred years learning to be a healer. It took him fifty years to learn to heal a simple laceration. Another fifty years to heal minor magical damage from miscast spells. Each stage took him fifty years to master. He was now going to attempt to reach a level of a healer that hadn’t been accomplished for nearly two thousand years. He was attempting to become a Master Healer.

He had been kneeling here for four hours, and yet he wasn’t feeling any pain. He had only experienced pain through other people. He had been born a natural healer. In the society of Elves, they were born into their magical vocation. Some are Potioners, Herbologists, Creaters, Healers, and Diviners and each reveal their vocation within the first twenty years of their lives. In their immortal society, twenty years are barely a blink of the eye.

Within the time that he started to become a healer, the mortal world had gone through so many changes and generations. Growing up, he always wondered how mortals could accomplish anything in the short time that they lived. How could anyone have time to learn all there is to learn in only fifty to sixty years. The people who have shown magical abilities seemed to live longer than the nonmagical mortals.

He had asked his teachers how mortals could capture and learn to use magic. He was told that magic existed everywhere in the world. It didn’t just exist on Atlantis. The Mortals are not that different from them. They just don’t have the ability to control magic as easily as the elves. The mortals that can use magic must use some method of concentrating the magic.

He remembered the look on the faces of many of his fellow students, when he asked if a mortal would live on Atlantis, would he become like an Elf. Would the magic that pulses through our land change the mortal to an elf?

The teacher didn’t respond to his question for several minutes. No mortal had ever set foot on Atlantis. The elves had left the mortal lands thousands of years ago, after they had destroyed an ancient evil. Many of the original elves had perished in the battle against evil. The ones that survived swore to never allow an Elf to return to the mortal lands. However, many had ventured from their island to discover what the mortal word was like. Most of them who only stayed a few years before returning, did not change much. The ones that had stayed for more than a century changed. They started to lose their noble graceful nature. They still possessed magic, but their nature started changing.

Several even started to live and bring up offspring in the mortal lands. The children started to age similar to the way mortal’s age. An elf doesn’t reach maturity for nearly one hundred years of age. The elves born on the mortal lands reached maturity more quickly, usually by their twentieth year. He had even heard of those elves dying of old age, something that had never happened on Atlantis.

The teacher said there was no way of knowing what would happen if a mortal would come to live on Atlantis. He stated that the Elves had developed ambrosia to keep them strong and help in their longevity. He assumed that the mortal would live longer here on this island, but he would never become an immortal. The mortal’s very body is different from the elves. Their body could never regenerate itself and remain young like the elves. The reason why Elves who leave Atlantis age differently and their magic changes was that those lands breed evil. There was a source of evil that affected the lands to the very stone that it was made up of. In Atlantis, there was no evil, the light never wanes, Atlantians never grow old and die, because they have driven the evil out of their lives and lands.

“Xenon, it is time for your trial,” said a Cyclops guard. He stood nearly ten feet tall and had shoulders a third as wide as he was tall. The Cyclops had been guards on Atlantis since the elves had domesticated and trained them. They were not immortal and were natural warriors, so they were made into guards and laborers after being tamed.

Standing up he walked out of the chamber. He had absorbed as much magic as possible. He only hoped it was enough. The past three Healers to attempt this final trial had died when they had extinguished their magic. At least he didn’t need to worry about killing his soul mate like the other three had done. He had never found a soul mate. It bothered him because having a soul mate made ones magic even stronger. He could only hope that he was strong enough to survive the trail. He had never been told what the trial would involve. He would find out in a few minutes. Three hundred years of studying, practicing, meditating and waiting, and he will find out if he can become one of the few Master Healers.

The path out of the Pyramid was long. It seemed longer leaving than when he had walked in to meditate. The magic present in the path made it glow like the noon day sun. The island had often been called the land of eternal light. It was never dark here, because the magic made the marble pyramids glow with a golden light. The most beautiful sights were the night skies, when the stars came out. The light from all the pyramids didn’t brighten the sky, so one could lay and watch the stars move through the dark night sky, while the area around them was fully illuminated.

Stepping out of the Pyramid of Meditation, he followed the Cyclops past several other pyramids that were for living quarters. They were full of life. Families were attending to their needs. He could smell the delicious odor of Ambrosia being prepared in someone’s home. It only needed to be brewed once month, but someone was always brewing it on the island. He could hear children playing and parents correcting them. He wanted to have two children, but without a soul mate, it wasn’t possible.

They finally arrived at the place of the trial. It was the royal court. The Queen looked down from her Throne of pure black marble at him. The King sat beside her on his matching throne. They both smiled warmly at him. They were the symbol of elfish perfection. A soul bound couple with incredible magical powers. They were both tall long-limbed and graceful with their every move. Their long silver-blond hair shimmered in the light of the pyramids and noonday sun. They were also incredibly patient and kind.

The court was formed by the royal Pyramid on one side and three smaller pyramids. The smaller pyramids were short with the top two-thirds missing leaving a flat top, where gardens were planted. All the pyramids were stepped so people could sit on the steps when the court was being held for the public. This trial was not for public viewing.

He saw his trial: a large ox. The ox was nearly six feet at the shoulder and its chest was so probably eight or ten feet in girth. Standing beside the ox was the head of the guards, Bractus. Bractus was twelve feet tall. His large single eye was set in a head that looked as if it had been carved from brown marble. His entire body looked like it was a carved statue, instead of flesh and bone. His skin was a chestnut brown. His shoulders wide and strong. His arms were knotted muscle.

In his large meaty hand he held a ten foot long hunting spear. The spear’s wooden shaft was nearly two inches in diameter of ebony. The head was made of a specially cast bronze. It was nearly indestructible and razor sharp. Its head started at the eight foot area of the shaft. There was a foot of heavy bronze, before the point started to form. The point was two points in one. With each point six inches wide at its base and set at right angles to the other point. They tapered to a point as sharp as a needle. It would make a huge “X” shaped hole that would be difficult to heal.

Without saying a word, Bractus lifted the spear and thrust it in a single quick stroke through the ox’s chest piercing the heart. He pulled the spear back out making a squelching sound. The ox fell with a loud thump onto the marble courtyard. Its life blood flowed out covering the marble of the courtyard. In a single stroke, Bractus had destroyed bone, flesh, and vital organs.

Xenon now had to heal them all with his magic before his magical reserves were extinguished.

Moving quickly forward. He went to the side that had the exit wound. He waved his hand and the ox rolled exposing the massive wound. There were stripes of muscle and fragments of bone hanging out of the wound. He started casting healing spells silently. He had to work quickly if he hoped to survive this trial. It took him longer to place the muscle, sinew and bone back in their proper places in this part of the wound. He could already feel his magic starting to wane.

He waved his hand and the ox rolled back over so he could lay his hands on the wound from the entrance side. He closed his eyes and tried to reach deep into the chest of the ox. The damage appeared in his mind; the heart was nearly destroyed. He couldn’t think about how impossible the task was. He had to heal and bring the ox back to life. He started knitting the veins back together around the heart and in the shoulder the next thing he started working on was the bone. He could see the shattered shoulder blades reform. He was starting to feel faint. He was using up so much magical energy to heal this amount of flesh. He started to reform the heart. The shredded muscle of the heart reformed slowly. He tried to search his memories of how an ox’s heart was formed both the interior and exterior. His thoughts were wavering in and out of focus He pulled from all of his magical reserves. The heart was finally reformed. He only had to weave the muscle and skin together enough to keep the ox from bleeding to death. He had done that in less than a minute. He quickly located the reserves of blood in the ox’s liver and started to duplicate the blood until there was enough to fill its veins. Finally, with his magical reserves so low that he could barely breathe, he gave the ox’s heart a jolt of magic. It didn’t restart with the first jolt. It took three more jolts before the ox’s heart started to beat.

Xenon fell away from the ox. His magic was nearly spent. He could barely see. Everything was getting dark, and he could barely hear anyone talking. He saw the ox raise up off the ground on it four hooves. He had succeeded in healing the ox.

Large hands gently lifted his head and leaned a cup against his lips. The delicious taste of Ambrosia touched his tongue. With each gulp, he could feel his strength returning. As his magic and health returned, he felt joy fill him. He had accomplished something that so many before have failed. He had become a Master Healer. He was only the third elf to reach that level in the history of Atlantis.

“Arise, Xenon,” said the gentle voice of the Queen. “Arise, Master Healer Xenon. For you have accomplished a great feat this day.”

Xenon was finally able to stand up. He stared up at the Queen and King. The Queen had a sad look on her face. He wondered why she looked this way. Shouldn’t she happy and proud that he had accomplished this feat. The King was one of the other two master healers on Atlantis. He looked concerned as he stared over at his soul mate, the Queen.

They were the only elves in the courtyard. Bractus led the wary ox out of the courtyard. The ox was trying to keep as far from the large Cyclops as its leash would allow it. The sight of the scared ox made Xenon smile.

The Queen smiled at the actions of the ox. She looked at the King, who rose and smiled at Xenon before leaving. The Queen gracefully walked down the steps of the Pyramid. As she reached the courtyard, she cleaned up the ox blood with a simple glance at the massive pool. Thousands of years using magic allowed her to do magic that others would have had to put greater effort to accomplish.

“Xenon, my beautiful son,” the Queen said as she walked up to him and wrapped him in a hug,

“Did I please you mother?”

“You have always pleased me, my son.”

“Then why are you so sad?” He could feel her react to his question.

“Walk with me my Son,” she said avoiding his gaze. She started walking towards the raised gardens.

Xenon followed her without talking. Something was bothering his mother. Being a child of the King and Queen of the Elves he had become accustomed to the weight of their duties. Living in a wonderful kingdom such as this troubles came only once or twice a century, but for an immortal that was a frequent occurrence.

They stopped at a bench in the middle of the garden. They were surrounded by flowers of all types. The fragrance was relaxing, and yet his mother seemed to be nervous about something. Xenon was getting worried about his mother, he had never seen her this nervous before in his life.

“Sit with me for a while,” she said in a soothing tone.

He sat down beside her and followed her gaze out over the fields of Atlantis. The cyclops were tending to the fields and orchards collecting the grains and fruits necessary to make Ambrosia. The remaining grains would be for making breads and feeding the cyclops and animals. The land was covered with green forests and large expanses of green fields divided by swaths of golden grain. Beyond the forest was the Mediterranean Sea. He could only see a small portion of it, because a perpetual fog bank was maintained to hide the island from any sailors who happened to sail by it.

To call Atlantis an Island was actually a misnomer, it may be a piece of land completely surrounded by water, but it was not secured to the ocean floor. His Mother and Father would often relocate the island, especially if a vessel would happen to sail through the fog bank. They would cast spells to confuse the sailors’ memories, then they would move the island. It would not be unusual to for the island to be moved once a year. It had been happening more frequently over the past hundred years as the mortals maritime skills improved.

They sat staring at the bucolic countryside surrounded by a rainbow of colors and sweet fragrances from the flowers. He still had the glass of ambrosia that he had been sipping on. His magical levels seemed to be up to normal.

“Are you feeling better, my Son?”

“Yes, I am. What is bothering you Mother?”

She seemed to tense up for a few seconds before speaking again. “I have had visions over the past century.”

“You are a Diviner. Have they been more disturbing than usual?”

“Yes, there have been visions that have upset me. The mortal world will eventually fall into darkness unlike anything we have seen before.”

“After all the sacrifices our race made to eliminate the darkness that existed,” he said to his Mother. She and his Father were amongst the Elves that had fought an evil society of sorcerers. So many immortals had lost their lives during that time, but they did prevail.

“We can once more help prevent the evil from overrunning the race of mortals,” she said with sadness. “All it would take is one of us to make the ultimate sacrifice. It would need to be one who could heal someone even if they have one foot through the veil of death. However, that Elf shall die. Even if the Elf would not perish while saving the mortal sorcerer, they would never find our land again.

“The time for our people to exist among the mortal world is coming to an end. The mortals are advancing as a people, soon we will not be able to hide from them while we remain in this plane of existence. Our people and land must become legend to the mortals.”

She took his hand and held it lovingly. He knew why she did this. It all became obvious to him why she was so sad. The vision she had pertained to him. He had just proved that he had the magical ability to bring a person back from near death. He also realized that it would be most logical if it was him. He had never soul bonded with anyone in his six hundred years of life.

“Will I ever find a soul mate, Mother?”

She hung her head and he could see tears glistening on her eyelashes. “No, you never do.”

“Your vision was of me making the sacrifice.”

“It wasn’t of you specifically. I could not recognize the Elf in the vision. The time away from our Island of Light had ravaged him of his noble nature. He was old wrinkled and had wispy white hair. He saves a young mortal couple. They are young even by the mortal’s standards, but they had created a soul bond much like I and your father had formed. The man has been hit by a dark and deadly curse, and the woman is trying to save his soul from passing through the veil.

“The Healer must help the woman, but by doing so he must release his physical existence. Even if the elf doesn’t relinquish his existence. Your Father and I shall move the island from this plane of existence. We will reside permanently in a place between the solid world and the shadowlands of the afterlife. It is the only place where we will can remain undiscovered.”

Xenon thought about what his Mother had told him about the fate of the Healer. “If we don’t send a Healer to save this couple. What becomes of the mortal world?”

“The mortal world will descend into darkness. Led by a creature, a man who appeared as a snake in my visions. He shall destroy all that is good in the world. He will make it his mission to pit man against man. Cruelty will be the standard not the exception.”

“Why can’t we save them as we have before?”

“Mortals are becoming more intelligent. They are learning from previous generations. Their problem is they don’t have the wisdom of years to soften their ideas. If they only lived twice as long, more of them would realize what wrongs they are doing to each other. If we would try to interfere they would attack us. Soon my Son, we will only exist in legend and tales of bygone days.”

“When will I need to leave, Mother?”

“Not for a few more years. We will need to prepare a place for you to stay. A supply of ambrosia for you to eat, and scrolls so the ones you save can learn from us. If you want to perform this task, I only ask that you spend the next year with me, for we will never meet again after you leave for the mortal world.”

“How will I know who to save?”

“They will be young. They will also have a bond as strong as your Father’s and mine.”

“How could that happen? They are mortals!”

His mother pulled him close to her. He leaned his head against her head. He suddenly realized that she was starting to mourn him. It was a rare occasion to hear of an elf dying. No one knew how to cope with the situation. His mother the Queen of the lands was no exception.

They sat in the flower garden staring out at the distant sea for hours. Time didn’t matter now. It was important to him to let her know who much he loved her and she him.

The following year he oversaw the preparations for his stay in the lands of death. He wasn’t scared of the finality of the mission. He was concerned about not lasting to the end. They prepared thousands of golden tubes of ambrosia for his stay. A single tube could last nearly a month if he didn’t use magic. If he spent his time meditating and reading to keep his mind sharp, he wouldn’t need more than two large spoonful’s a day to survive.

They took three months of boat trips to the upper kingdom of Egypt. There was a large library there that was perfect for his needs. He took a large section of the one basement. Employing many of the elves that had left Atlantis years ago, he lined the room and built shelves with magic infused marble from the island. With the room lined with marble, he filled the shelves with twenty thousand tubes of ambrosia. He could survive for thousands of years with that supply. The way his Mother spoke. His job would be in the distant future. He couldn’t be sure how far into the future it was.

It took another three months to organize the shelves and cast the proper Charms on all the tubes in the library. One late afternoon as the sun was starting to sink into the western desert he felt a strange pulling in his chest. He walked out of the library and climbed the highest tower that he could find. From that location, he could see all the mariners floating on the listless sea. In the distance, he could see a fog bank. It was Atlantis. As the sun sank into the horizon in the west. Atlantis faded away in the north. As the fog bank slowly dissipated revealing only empty horizon, he felt an emptiness in his heart. All that he had ever held dear was now gone from this dimension.

He walked down to the library that they had just completed. He stared at the statue that the elves born in this mortal world had made. It was of him. Those elves had already lived here for several generations. They had lost their elegant stature and noble bearing. They were becoming shorter and hunched. They still had the pointed ears, but the ears looked more pronounced as their stature shrunk. They were amazed at the appearance of the Elves of Atlantis. They carved the statue without being asked. It made them proud to be descendants of such a superior race.

Xenon sealed up the entrance to his section of the library. He had convinced the Egyptian magicians that he was protecting ancient scrolls from Atlantis. He lied to these mortals. He spun a tale of an island that was unstable. The magic that had created it was also tearing it apart. Soon it would break apart and sink into the sea. His job was to protect these ancient scrolls so the knowledge of the Elves of Atlantis was not lost.

A feeling that Xenon had never felt before overtook him. I was sadness. He had been afraid in the past like the time he had to heal the ox. This feeling was different, there was something missing from him. He spent the next three years thinking and meditating on it, before he realized what it was. He missed the magic of his parents. Their soul bond was so strong that it lifted everyone up around them. One might even say that the King and Queen’s soul bond pulsed throughout the entire island filling the land with love and happiness.

He now knew who he was looking for. A young couple that would fill all the area around them with love and happiness.

He started spending time reading the scrolls that he had brought with him. He would read a scroll while maintaining himself by eating ambrosia. Upon completing the scroll, he would go into deep meditation. His mind would think about all he had read while in virtual hibernation. It was not uncommon for elves to meditate for up to ten years. They would come out these meditations when they finally had memorized a scroll or when they had solved a problem. They would always be weak and had to eat large amounts of ambrosia to rejuvenate their bodies. He had meditated for ten years after actually reading two different scrolls about the origins of magic.

He awoke more puzzled than when he had started his meditation. He had never awakened from a meditation without solving the problem he was meditating to solve. The next month he wrote about the questions he still had on the nature and origin of magic. He had always been told that magic is a natural occurring thing and an elf was born with the ability to control and manipulate it. It didn’t explain how mortals with no elfish ancestors can perform magic. He felt that the answer to this question was important to his quest.

He spent the next three hundred years working on this problem. As he spent time meditating and studying about the origin of magic, the world around him was changing. The head priests had changed about every ten to fifteen years. Without contact with the outside world, he had no idea what the present priest’s name was, but it didn’t matter. He had another mission to fulfil, and the mortal world will in time depend on him.

Xenon was getting ready to meditate again, when he felt a shift in the magic around him. It felt darker. He could sense death in close proximity. He walked to the entrance to see what had happened. Had he missed his assignment? Had the world become dark?

He could feel the present Head Priest casting spells on the very stone that surrounded him. The stone was conflicting with the marble from Atlantis as though it was a taint where it contacted the pure marble. What was that Priest doing?

Clanging of metal made him to look to his right. He saw warriors fighting with swords of bronze and steel. Many of the lesser Egyptian Priests were fighting and dying as the opposing forces pushed their advantage down the staircase. The battle reached the entrance to his area. Ten of the invaders turned to attack him. The all crashed against the defensive wards to be repelled. They attacked the ward time and time again, until something else caught their attention.

Egyptian Priests were mounting a counter offensive. Xenon had to look twice at what he was seeing these were not living Priests, but dead spectral Priests. They were able to wield weapons and kill their enemies. The invaders fled from the sight of the spectral priests. The idea of bringing people back from the dead repulsed Xenon. What were they defending that was so important that they would defy the natural order of the world?

With a heavy heart and concern over the state of the world around him, Xenon went into a meditative trance. He spent the next two thousand years contemplating the question of this world he was trying to save. The section of the library that he was staying in hadn’t changed since the day the High Priest had cast the spells to raise the spectral priests. He could feel magic had shifted too. It wasn’t so dark now.

The years ran together more now. Xenon couldn’t tell whether he had meditated for six months or six years. He started to notice changes in him. He was getting old. It was something he never thought would happen. Was it because of what the High Priest had done? He started to doubt if he would survive to complete his mission. He had been writing about his thoughts concerning the source of magic. He may have actually come upon a revelation.

He had seen three brothers come into the library. The spectral priests were going to attack them, but the brothers had convinced them they were not a danger. The brothers spent weeks in the lower levels of the library. They left to return several years later.

Several years later, another race of magical being moved into the library. He recognized them as goblins. He had heard that they were a difficult race. They were not inherently evil, but they were vicious in their justice.

Sometime later, another race made its residence in the library. It was the descendants of the elves. They were now small and appeared to be subservient to others. They didn’t even realize what their origins were. He could sense their curiosity at seeing his statue. It saddened him to see what had happened to his distant relatives.

Close to a thousand years later, something woke Xenon out of a trance. His trances had lasted longer each time he meditated. He hadn’t come to any conclusions, but something had called to him. It took him several seconds to recognize it. It was a soul bond like the one his parents had. He stood up and walked towards the entrance. They were in the library. He could feel them. The feeling he was getting from the soul bond was making him long for Atlantis. The young couple appeared in the one end of the library. They were being escorted by the spectral High Priest. The female was short with flaming red-hair. The male wasn’t much taller and he had black hair and wore strange objects on his face. Yet, Xenon could feel the soul bond between them. He could also see the bond. Their bond was so strong that they flexed the magic around them. It was so obvious to him now. These were the ones he had to save.

He could not spend any more time meditating. He need to be ready for when they needed him. Even after they left, he could feel the effects of the soul bond no matter where they went in the world. It was strange for him to be able to sense them. Did they actually change the flow of magic in the world with their soul bond? In his studies, he realized that the world was thousands of times larger than Atlantis. His parents maintained the island with their soul bond. How powerful was these mortals’ magic that they could manipulate magic that he could sense here in the basement of an Egyptian library?

An epiphany occurred to Xenon. The question that had been bothering him for more than three thousand years had just become obvious. Pulling out a sheet of parchment, he started writing. In a few days, he had written down his thoughts. He realized that this was important. It would be something that the bonded couple would eventually need. His entire life now made sense to him. This was where he needed to be, and he could make a difference in the fate of this world.

Over the next two years, the young couple would return. Each time, their bond would be stronger. He could even feel when they were going to arrive days before they appeared.

One day when Xenon was finishing his daily portion of ambrosia. He felt a horrible rift in the magic of the world. The warmth that he had felt upon the appearance of the bonded couple was now wavering. It was time for him to accomplish his mission.

Walking had become increasingly difficult for him over the years. His body ached as he walked through the ward that had sealed his section of the library. The decrepit descendants of the elves saw him along with the goblins. They all seemed to be surprised at him leaving his section. He couldn’t pay attention to them. He had to find the bonded couple.

Closing his eyes, he transported himself to where the young couple was located. He found that he had missed the spot by several feet. He forced his aged body to move. It protested with every step. The anguish of the bonded couple was palpable. It was causing him more pain than he should be feeling. The same reason that his parents bond uplifted Atlantis, the anguish of this couple was causing him pain.

He moved through the door entering the room that held the young couple. There were other mortals there trying to stop him from getting to the couple. He flung their magical sticks away making them harmless. There was a ward around the couple. It was the same type of ward he had used in the library in Egypt. Stepping through the ward. He saw the young girl was trying to prevent the death of her bonded. It was amazing that she was able to delay her bonded’s death. That was a level of magic mortals should not possess.

He focused on healing the young couple. He was able to sense with his magic what he needed to do, and what it would cost him. He will die to save them. However, it was for the greater good for they are the future of the mortal world.


Ginny opened her eyes. The thoughts of the Atlantian had been passing through her along with his healing powers. She saw him slowly fall to his knees, as his hand dropped from her forehead. Her attention was drawn away from this ancient elf. Harry was starting to move beneath her.

He suddenly revived and grabbed her in a hug. She could not stop the tears from pouring out of her eyes. They were tears of joy, but that joy would be replaced with pain, as she had another contraction.

“Ginny, what is wrong?” Harry asked her.

“What’s wrong?” she snapped at him. “What do you think is wrong? You nearly died and I am in labor.”

Harry smiled at her. “Thank you for saving me.” He hugged her.

“I didn’t save you,” she said. She turned to look upon the dead body of the Atlantian Elf, but all that was left of him was a pile of dust. Another contraction hit her and she let out a groan. “You need to drop the Shield so Poppy and my Mum can help us deliver this baby, unless you want to do it alone.”

Ginny smiled as the Shield disappeared and Harry picked her up.

Back to index


Chapter 31: Fragments

Author's Notes: This chapter is a group of small segments or fragments of what was happening with the Order and Voldemort. The chapter runs in a parallel time line as the last two chapters. By the end of this chapter, you will get an idea of what the Order is doing in response to Voldemort's plans. I will warn you that there is violence and death of characters in this chapter and future chapters.
Once again I would like to thank Leif for his timely and excellent Beta work.


Arthur Weasley stood nervously outside of Potter manor in England. He felt like his skills were being wasted here. He should be in the battle. Everyone had always considered him to be rather mild mannered. He may not have Molly’s temper, but he still wasn’t afraid of a fight. He had accounted for himself rather well in the past skirmishes with Death Eaters. However, here he stood waiting for people to try to Apparate onto the estate without Harry and Ginny’s approval.

He originally worried that he would make a mistake in trusting someone who was actually a Death Eater. He was reassured that the blood Wards would sense the person lying and actually notify him and the liar. He should trust Bill and Ginny. They assured him that he wouldn’t make any mistakes. He just hoped that he didn’t need to allow anyone entrance. That would mean the fight was going poorly.

His thoughts moved to Amelia Bones. He hoped that she was able to get to the Magical Transportation Department before the Death Eaters could gain control of it. He admired her for her selflessness. She knew it was a suicide mission, but one that must be accomplished. If she gained control of the Portkey tracking system and the Floo Network, the Order members and their sympathizers could relocate without being tracked. If they could get one or two days after the Ministry fell without being tracked. The Order might stand a chance of mounting a serious resistance with the help of the Potter family estate and resources.

He never thought that he would be fighting alongside one of the wealthiest and influential families in the magical world. He had always figured that the wealthy families would support the pure blood agenda of Voldemort. It was ironic that he was now a blood relative and a representative of that family. A person who was known for his character and lack of money.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort walked with Lucius Malfoy into the office of the Minister of Magic. It was unimpressive. He wanted something grander more regal. He didn’t want an office to do work. He wanted a place from which he could reign.

“Lucius, before you leave to liberate Hogwarts, call all of my Inner Circle to me. You will be excused because of your assignment.”

“My Lord, Rookwood will be occupied with rebuilding Hogwarts. I was going to use many of the inner circle to take Hogwarts. The Muggle-lover is a very formidable wizard.”

“You may take Crabbe and Goyle with you. They are not intelligent enough to take an assignment on their own. To defeat Dumbledore, you only need to use the children. He is so weak. He would rather die than harm any of his school children.”

“My Lord, you want me to attack Hogwarts with Crabbe, Goyle, and under age children?”

“Crucio,” he shouted. He had pulled his wand and punished Malfoy for his insolence. He stopped the punishment to speak. He waited until Lucius was able to come to a kneeling position. “You can choose from anyone else that helped us. I want that school. There are other things I also want accomplished immediately. Now, leave me.”

“Yes, My Lord,” rasped Lucius. He stood up shakily and staggered as he left.

Voldemort watched Lucius leave. He was walking rather shakily for only being held under the Cruciatus Curse for a few seconds, evidently he was becoming weak. Ever since Lucius helped him regenerate, he had been rather easy on him. He will need to correct that oversight. He needed strong people around him, if he was going to rule forever.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“The Dark Lord wants all of his inner circle to meet him in the Minister’s office. I need to find Rookwood to tell him. You can all go ahead,” Lucius Malfoy said shakily.

He looked more damaged now then after the battle. Severus could only assume that Malfoy had angered the Dark Lord.

“Did he say why he wanted us?” Severus asked nonchalantly.

“How dare you question your master,” shouted Bellatrix. “If he calls you don’t ask what he wants, you obey.”

“He is going to reward us,” said Macnair.

“He has assignments for all of you. I have already been assigned mine,” said Lucius. “I am to take Hogwarts for the Dark Lord. I must mount an army to root out that Muggle Lover. Crabbe and Goyle will be assisting me, and as many of these healthy warriors as I can find,” he said with a sneer on his lips.

“I’ll come with you,” said Antonin Dolohov.

“No, I am only allowed to take Crabbe and Goyle from the inner circle,” replied Lucius.

“Why don’t you go and assemble your army. I will find Rookwood,” said Severus. He hoped that Lucius would agree to it.

Lucius looked at him for several seconds, before speaking. “That would be helpful, thank you.”

“If the Dark Lord tells you to do something, you should do it without question,” snapped Bellatrix.

“Did the Dark Lord specifically say that you are to bring Rookwood to him?” asked Severus.

“No, he told me to announce to you about the meeting and to send Rookwood to him,” said Lucius with smile. “I am not violating anything that the Dark Lord has demanded of me.”

Severus left the group of Death Eaters as soon as possible. He needed to assess the damage to the castle. He had been impressed by the Order’s resistance. It was foolish to think one could survive a battle with the Dark Lord and his most faithful followers. The Order had almost turned the tide of the battle. Potter was a great deal stronger than he had ever let on to be, and yet in the end it didn’t matter. The Dark Lord had out maneuvered them and defeated them. It was true. Love was a weakness. Ginny Potter should have never left the formation to save who she thought was her father. It led to Potter’s death and the Order’s ultimate defeat.

He saw the Headmaster leave unscathed, but he would be busy reinforcing Hogwarts against Lucius and his army. The Auror Moody also was able to leave without injury. He could contact him, but Moody never trusted him. It left him with no choice but contact the Headmaster. He only hoped that no one was in the office with him when Severus’s Patronus appeared to him.

Severus stepped into the only operable lift and took it to the next floor down. He stepped out and looked around for Rookwood. He couldn’t see or hear anyone in the nearby offices. Stepping into an office he sent a Patronus off to the Headmaster. He had to warn him about the upcoming attack on Hogwarts. He also assumed that Voldemort would quickly try to take the fight to Muggles. He didn’t know what the Headmaster could do to protect Muggles, when he would be fighting for his life.

Satisfied that he had done everything he could to warn the Order, he went to look for Rookwood.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore had just arrived in his office. He had called for Minerva, when Severus’s Patronus appeared in front of him.

“Headmaster, the Dark Lord is preparing to send Lucius Malfoy and an army of followers to Hogwarts to take it from you. He also has plans for all his inner circle members. You must prepare the Order to hide. I think the Dark Lord is ready to purge the magical community of you and your followers. I think he also plans on attacking the Muggle community.”

The doe Patronus turned to vapor, as Severus’s voice stopped. Albus smiled at Severus’s announcement. Everything that Severus had warned him about, Alastor had already predicted would happen. He did need to notify Arthur and Alastor that the at-risk children will be coming led by Minerva.

Lifting his wand, Albus sent off a Patronus to Arthur Weasley. He hoped that Arthur wouldn’t be grieving too much to hear the Patronus.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur stared at Alastor. He couldn’t believe what Alastor had just said. Harry was dead. If Harry was dead, Ginny was going to die very soon, would her child die too. He was having a hard time believing it. How could that happen?

“Where is everyone?” asked Arthur.

“We got out of there,” said Alastor. “Many of them used the emergency Portkey to leave. Sirius and Remus took Ginny and Harry away using it. At least I would assume they did. I don’t see them here.”

“They couldn’t use the Portkey’s. Harry created them. If he is dead, the Portkey’s wouldn’t work?”

Alastor stared at Arthur for several seconds. “Bloody Hell, you are right. I saw Harry get hit with a Killing Curse.”

“I am not saying you are lying, but if Harry dies, so will all the protections and blood wards that have been set up on all the estates.”

A bright light appeared in front of Arthur causing him to look away from Alastor. He quickly recognized it as Albus’s bumblebee Patronus.

“Arthur, stay at Potter Manor and prepare for possible attacks. I don’t know what type of wards you can set up, but you may be attacked. I am planning on having Minerva lead your children and other at-risk children to Potter Manor. Voldemort has taken control and plans a starting a reign of terror.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The lift doors opened to the Minister’s floor. Severus had never been on this floor before so he didn’t notice any changes. Rookwood had been here before, and it was obvious that he did notice something.

“I see the Dark Lord has made some changes.”

Severus assumed Rookwood must be referring to the green and silver walls. The Floor appeared to be one large hall. A wall stood about three quarters of the distance across the hall. He could see several fellow Death Eaters standing by the wall. It surprised him that John Dawlish was also there.

“The Dark Lord has been waiting for you two,” shouted Amycus Carrow.

“If we are late, we will apologize to the Dark Lord, not you,” hissed Rookwood.

They walked up to the wall and saw on the other side was a throne. The Dark Lord sat there and stared at them. The throne was on a three step dais so one cold kneel at his feet on the bottom step. The arms of the throne were formed out of the body and head of a snake. The Dark Lord’s hands rested on the top of the snakes head.

“Rookwood what is the condition of the Ministry?” asked the Dark Lord.

Rookwood walked forward and fell to his knees on the bottom step of the dais. He stared down as not to stare into those scarlet eyes. “The Ministry will take some time to repair my lord. I could not get to the Department of Mysteries. The entrance had been collapsed. The Magical Transportation department has been completely destroyed. It appears that the Order made their last stand there. The rest of the Ministry is in good shape. There is evidence of spell damage, but nothing that can’t be repaired in a day or two. I am having a difficult time locating many of the maintenance workers. I am positive that we can have the Atrium repaired in three days.”

“Why can’t you find the maintenance workers?” asked the Dark Lord.

“I do not know. I was told that when the fighting broke out they ran like cowards,” said Rookwood.

Severus could feel Rookwood’s fear, and the Dark Lords anger.

“You are excused for now,” said the Dark Lord. His voice was soft and cold. Some might think he was not angry, but all the Death Eaters knew he was about to torture or kill someone. Rookwood stayed on his knees for several seconds, before standing up and moving back with the rest of the inner circle. Severus could hear him exhale in relief.

“Dawlish, come forward,” ordered the Dark Lord.

Dawlish strode forward and stood in front of the Dark Lord. Severus held his smile. He was sure that the arrogant Auror was going to suffer for this action.

“What happened with the planned attack? Savage and you were to deliver me the Ministry without damage. I hear that the Department of Mysteries is blocked from our access and the Magical Transportation Department had been destroyed.”

“Amelia Bones must have organized the resistance…,” Dawlish started to explain, but the Dark Lord cut him off.

“I thought Madam Bones was supposed to be killed, before the attack started?”

“She must have been tipped off by someone, because she Stunned me before she opened the door to her office. I was Ennervated by Savage, after he took control of the Aurors.”

“Where is Savage now? I would have expected him to be here.”

“He is dead. We were trying to take the Magical Transportation Department when Bones killed him.”

“Madam Bones killed Auror Savage?” asked the Dark Lord with surprise in his voice. “I can’t believe it. The next thing we will hear about Dumbledore is using the Killing Curse,” he laughed.

“She killed him alright,” said Dawlish. “She used the Killing Curse of all things. She got hers though. We blew her up along with all the other Muggle Lovers.”

“Who was fighting with her?”

“I don’t know. I never saw any of them before.”

The Dark Lord stared at Dawlish for several seconds, before speaking. “Rookwood, you take Yaxley along with you to clean up the Magical Transportation Department, bring me Madam Bones’ body.”

“Dawlish, you are the new Head of Magical Law Enforcement. You shall organize the Hit-wizards and the Aurors to secure the Ministry from threat outside and within the Ministry. After doing this, you shall report to me and wait for your next order.”

Dawlish stood there and stared at him for several seconds.

“Crucio,” He shouted. He watched Dawlish crumble to the floor with a scream. He lifted the Curse. “When I give you an order, you shall execute those orders immediately. You and Savage were to kill Madam Bones before she could raise a resistance, and you failed. You are fortunate that I didn’t kill you. Leave!”

Dawlish pushed himself up off the floor. He could barely stand up and walk out of the room. Voldemort didn’t say anything until Dawlish had disappeared in lift.

“Bella, you may teach Dawlish what it means to serve me, when he returns.”

“Yes Master,” she said.

Severus could see her excitement at getting a chance to torture someone.

“Come forward, Severus, and kneel before me,” said the Dark Lord.

Severus strode forward. He needed to exude confidence as he knelt down so he stared intently at the hem of the Dark Lord’s cloak.

“You have served me well, Severus. Without your information about the Potters, I would not have devised my plan to defeat them. You have deceived the Muggle Lover for years to help me achieve this victory. You may look up at me now Severus Snape, my faithful spy.”

Severus raised his face towards the Dark Lord with confidence. While the Dark Lord had been speaking he had reinforced his Occlumency wards. What he didn’t expect was to be staring at the Dark Lord’s wand point and that deadly flash of green.

“Avada Kedavra!”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort stared down at the body of Severus Snape. He had fallen back off the dais and lay with one leg turned to the side and the other still pointing straight towards him. His arms were splayed out to his sides.

“My reward for you Severus Snape is to reunite you with that Mudblood that you desired so much. You have served me well, but I have no need for a spy now,” he said to the corpse.

Looking at the rest of his inner circle, he smiled. They were all standing still staring at him with impassive expressions. They all knew that their future depended on their usefulness to him.

“Severus was useful to our cause, but he also aided the Order. I could not take the chance that Severus would ply his craft for anyone else. Urquhart, come forward,” he said calmly. Urquhart walked forward with his eyes downcast.

“Yes, Master,” he squeaked out.

“You work in the Magical Transportation Department. Severus Snape has a Portkey on him. Find it without activating it.”

“Y-yes Master,” he squeaked. The coward pulled his wand and started casting spells over Severus’s dead body. His wand hand shook as he worked to find the Portkey.

Ignoring Urquhart working to find Severus’s Portkey, he stared at the rest of his inner circle. He could not sense any discord amongst them. He could sense fear. Fear was good. His followers need to fear him.

“I have assignments for all of you,” he announced.

“It is time to let the filthy Muggles know we will no longer cower in the shadows. Dolohov, I want you to visit the Muggle Prime Minister and kill him, when you finish him return here for your next assignment. The rest of you shall visit the Muggle Parliament and kill as many as you can, before releasing Fiendfyre. Return here for your next assignment.

“Fenrir, I have very special assignment for you. You shall go back to your pack and organize them. In three days, I shall give all of Britain a choice. They shall either come here and get branded with the mark of Slytherin, or you and your pack shall hunt them down and kill them.”

The Werewolf smiled with a vicious expression.

“You may all leave,” he said to them. They all started to leave, including Bella. “Where are you going, Bella?”

“I am going to Parliament, Master,” she said with her eyes downcast.

“I want you to stay here with me,” he said to her. “I need someone next to me that I can trust. I know I can trust you.” He watched as she walked back to stand beside him with a smile on her face. After turning around, her expression suddenly changed to a scowl.

“What are you waiting for,” she shouted at her husband who had stopped walking to stare at them. “You have an assignment.”

Rodolphus stared at him and Bella for several seconds before leaving. He would need to remind Rodolphus who was the leader and always took what he wanted. Putting the coming confrontation with Rodolphus in the back of his mind, he stared at Urquhart working to find Severus’ Portkey.

“Have you found it yet?”

“Yes, my Lord, I am being careful so I don’t activate it,” the reedy voiced wizard said.

“How much longer before you have the Portkey and have the activation figured out?”

“It may take me another hour, my Lord. If they used a spell to activate, it will take me longer to find the spell without activating it.”

Voldemort leaned back in his throne. He had killed Potter and overthrown the Ministry in one day. The Ministry had always been there for his taking, but without Potter and Bones’ death it would have been a tenuous reign. Dumbledore was old and many people stopped trusting him after the last war. It didn’t matter because he would soon be dead. There was no one left to be the head of the resistance without them. His plans had worked even though he had incompetent people working for him. He was about to rule for eternity.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Dolohov stepped out of the fireplace of the Muggle Minister’s with his wand raised ready to start firing curses. He was surprised to see the office was unoccupied. There was a light burning on the desk of the Minister. It appeared that the Minister had just stepped out of his office.

Walking around the office, he noticed that there was only one door leading into the office. Should he go out and find the Minister. Dolohov realized he didn’t know what the Minister looked like. He walked over to the desk to check if there were any pictures of him. The desk had a picture of a woman and three children but no picture of a man.

He had no choice but to wait for him to return. If he knew more about the Muggle’s government, he would go looking for him. Resisting the urge to destroy the office and return to the Dark Lord, he Disillusioned himself and stepped back against a wall that would allow him to access the fireplace after killing the Minister.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ten Death Eaters appeared by Westminster Palace. They stood there glaring at all the Muggles who were pointing fingers at them.

“Confrigro,” shouted Barty Crouch Jr. His spell collided with the Big Ben’s face blowing a hole between the six and the five. “I always wanted to do that. Let’s kill us some Muggles.”

They started firing off Curses at the surrounding Muggles as they quickly walked towards the nearest entrance to the building. The Muggles were falling to their left and right. None of them were really aiming. They didn’t need to; the crowd of Muggles was so thick that each spell would be guaranteed to hit one of them.

The pathetic Muggles tried to close the doors of the entrance they were walking towards. With a laugh, both Lestranges blasted the doors off their hinges. Walking through the wrecked entrance, they continued to fire spells at the Muggles. Now they had to aim, because the Muggles were running in fear.

“Run, you stinkin’ Muggles, Run,” cackled Alectro Carrow. She had hit one rotund man in a light grey suit with a Cutting Curse. His blood discoloring the suit as he lay on the ground.

“This way,” shouted Macnair. “The House of Lords is this way.”

Everyone followed Macnair as he walked quickly the same direction that the sign had indicated. There were sirens echoing in the building and outside. It was only part of the noise that filled the air. The screams of agony, pain, confusion, and fear seemed to encourage and strengthen the attacking Death Eaters. They were laughing and shouting insults at the Muggles even though by this time all the Muggles were hiding from them.

Without any human prey in sight they started firing Curses at the surrounding walls and pictures. The Lestranges seemed to prefer setting off minor fires as they walked. Barty Jr. kept blasting every door he passed. Yaxley would quickly fire several Cutting Curses into the blasted door. Several times he would hear a grunt or a scream from the other room.

The Carrows were cackling and walking ahead shouting. “Prepare, you filthy Muggles. The Dark Lord shall destroy you and your filthy world!”

They walked up a set of stairs when it sounded like twenty or more wizards Apparating. The Carrows, whom had reached the top step, spun around and fell down several steps with blood pouring out of their ruined faces.

“Take that you filthy Muggles,” shouted Barty Jr., as he ran past the Carrows bodies and fired off a Blasting Curse. There was another rapid series of pops and Barty spun around in a half circle as blood sprayed off his body.

“Release Fiendfyre and get out of here,” shouted Rodolphus.

Rabastan and Macnair started the incantation to create the deadly fire. They cast their spells in opposite directions. The Fiendfyre that Rabastan had cast down the stairs had started forming into a dragon. Macnair’s must be forming on the upper landing because they could hear the Muggles screaming.

“Let’s leave,” Rabastan shouted. The remaining seven Death Eaters all Disapparated.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Dolohov was not a patient man. When he wanted to do something he wanted to do it immediately. The only reason he was waiting here or anywhere was because the Dark Lord had ordered him to stay. The problem was he couldn’t wait any longer. There were sirens outside. He could only assume that the attack on the Muggle Parliament had begun. If they destroy that building before he tries to kill the Minister, the Muggles might hide him. Time for waiting was over. He needed to either find the Minister or someone that could lead him to the Minister. It wouldn’t be hard to loosen some Muggles tongue with the Cruciatus Curse.

Dropping the Disillusionment Charm, he walked to the office door. He turned the knob and flung it open with his wand raised. Stepping through the door he saw the strangest dressed Muggles he had ever seen in his life. They were all dressed in black with thick padded vests and hats. They all had strange things stuck in their ears.

One of them shouted. “Stop and drop your weapon!”

“I don’t take orders from you Muggle,” he replied. He cast a cutting hex at the Muggle enjoying watching him fall with a groan. What Dolohov wasn’t ready for were the flashes from the other Muggles and the searing pain in his chest and abdomen.

He tried to cast another Curse, but he couldn’t speak and his arm wasn’t moving properly. His legs gave out under him as the Muggles gathered around him pointing these strange objects at him. They didn’t look like any of the firearms that he had learned about in Muggle Studies. He tried to speak but only a gurgling sound came out of his mouth. One of the Muggles stepped on his wand hand to immobilize it. It didn’t matter. He couldn’t use his arm anyway. He tried to move but his body would not respond to his wishes as everything went black.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort stared at the returning Death Eaters. Three of them had died at the hands of Muggles. The remaining seven were kneeling in front of him. They had released the Fiendfyre and killed and injured scores of Muggles. However, there are so many more Muggles than magical people that they could not be losing that many each time they go on a mission. He had not heard back from Dolohov. He hoped that he was successful with his mission and the country was without an actual leader. He never thought of going after the Royal Family. They couldn’t give orders to kill people so they were without power.

At his feet on the lowest step of the dais was a braided lock of red hair. It was Severus’ Portkey. How appropriate that he sent Severus to be with the Mudblood, since he carried a lock of her hair. The thoughts of it repulsed him. No one should be that weak.

“Rookwood, you may return to your duties of fixing the Ministry and take Yaxley with you,” he said. “Find out what happened to the maintenance workers and get them back to work. I want the Magical Transportation Department opened up and operating as soon as possible. Yaxley that is your responsibility. Rookwood, the Department of Mysteries most be opened up and inspected. After they are opened up, work may begin on the Atrium. I do not care if these maintenance workers need to work without sleep for the next week. You may leave now.”

He watched Rookwood and Yaxley leave. He hoped that Rookwood understood what he wanted protected in the Department of Mysteries.

“Macnair, take some of your workers from the Magical Creatures Department and go to Gringotts. I want those Goblins to acknowledge me as their ruler. Make sure they know their place in our society. You may leave, now.”

“The rest of you will have another assignment. Urquhart found Severus’ Portkey. It is laying there on the bottom step. He believes that it is strong enough to carry ten people. Find five more people and go to the Order’s hiding place. Your first assignment was to keep the order busy. They will be trying to protect the Muggle government and protecting Hogwarts. When they return to their home base, I want you to kill them. Kill them all.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur paced in the den or map room of Potter Manor with Alastor beside him. He was concerned about his children now that he heard about Hogwarts. Why would the Headmaster send his children and many others off on a trek across Scotland? Certainly staying at Hogwarts would be safer. Alastor had quickly organized everyone here. Alastor was watching the map trying to track all of the Death Eaters that had a trace. A few minutes ago, Severus Snape’s marker fell off the board. That can only mean that he was dead. It was in London. So it is possible he was discovered and killed for divulging information to the Order.

All of the Death Eaters that they had traced over the past year were all in London. It would make sense that Voldemort would call all of his troops together for this attack. Arthur just wished he could leave this estate so he could find out what is happening in France. Is Harry still alive? He must be since the Portkeys were still working. He was almost tempted to activate his emergency Portkey, but he promised to stay here. He just wished he knew how his family was doing.

Several Death Eaters moved on the map. It wasn’t much of a move. They just rearranged themselves over the city of London.

“Let’s see if all that stuff that Lupin has been studying has helped,” mumbled Alastor under his breath.

“What did you say?”

Moody looked at him with a sheepish expression. “I’ve been reading and studying those Muggle psychology books with Lupin. If everything we think will happen with Voldemort’s attack happens we will be doing pretty well and we will be prepared.”

“Like Harry getting killed?” he asked the old Auror.

“Actually, Arthur, I figured I would be the one to get killed. I am sorry about your son-in-law. He was a good man.”

“Yes, he was, and he still is. I believe.”

“Arthur!” someone shouted from the foyer of Potter Manor. “I need your help.”

“I am coming,” he shouted as he ran. “What is wrong?” When he cleared the doorway he saw Nymphadora Tonks running towards him.

“I need to get a lot of people inside of the wards. I can’t bring them in.”

“Have you tried?” he asked her.

“Yes, the Portkey was set to drop them on the lawn, but I came through and they didn’t. Come on we must get them inside of the wards before the Muggles recognize them.” Tonks tried to Apparate from inside of the manor.

“You can’t Apparate from inside of the manor house,” he happily said to her. If people couldn’t come through the wards then Harry and Ginny were still alive.

They ran outside of the building and Tonks side-along Apparated him to the people. There were about thirty Muggles standing there. Several tall well-built men were looking at him suspiciously as they were trying to protect an older lady wearing a wide brimmed hat. She saw them and spoke up with authority.

“Where is this place where I and my family are to hide,” she asked him.

“It is right behind me, but you won’t be able to see it because you are Muggles,” he said. He heard Tonks cough and felt her elbow him.

“Your Grace,” she whispered.

Arthur was unsure what she was saying for a few seconds. “I am sorry, your Grace. I can take you through the magical barrier, but it may take some time to get everyone over by Apparition. There is a passageway through the hedgerow but we will need to walk a bit.”

“I don’t see a hedgerow or any place for a safe house. I think we need to get out of here and fast,” said one of the large men. He was reaching inside of his jacket.

“Stand down Herb,” said another of the men. “He isn’t lying. Why don’t you go with him and see what is on the other side of the wards. You may want to Apparate him over and back.”

Arthur looked at this second man.

“He is a squib, Arthur,” said Tonks.

“I am Alastor Moody’s nephew,” he said.

Arthur smiled at him. “Herb, take my arm and get ready for a strange feeling. Whatever you do, don’t let go.”

Arthur turned on the spot and Apparated Herb onto the grounds of Potter Manor. Herb looked rather green. “I am going to ask you a simple question and you must answer it honestly. Do you intend any harm to Harry and Ginny Potter, any of their family, friends, or associates?”

“I don’t know any Harry and Ginny Potter. Why would I want to harm them?” Herb replied.

“Answer the question,” Arthur demanded. He was starting to grow tired of this man.

“No, I don’t intend to harm them,” he said. He suddenly looked around.

“Did you just feel a weight lifted off you?”

“Yeah, what was it?” Herb asked.

“Magic,” Arthur said. “It is time to return.” He offered Herb his arm. The man looked at it with obvious apprehension. He did take it, so Arthur could Apparate him back to the rest of his group.

They appeared in front the group again. Herb was rather green and he held hand on his stomach. Everyone looked at them with inquiring expressions.

“Well, what did you find?” asked the Queen.

Herb looked in the direction of Potter Manor and his eyes widened. “Bloody Hell, it is there.”

“I take that as a yes,” responded the Queen. “What are we waiting for, lead the way young man,” she said to Arthur.

“Yes, everyone will need to hold hands,” Arthur said holding out his hand to the Queen.

She looked at it for a second than grabbed hold of it. “I suppose there is a reason for this?” She stuck out her hand to her husband who in turn grabbed another’s hand. Soon they had a long line of people moving to what would look to a Muggle observer a rocky sea shore with violent wavers crashing against them. One by one the disappeared from view. Soon the entire entourage was gone.

“When you said there was a hedgerow, I had no idea it was this large,” the Queen said the Arthur.

“It has been growing for over four hundred years. It has been maintained by House Elves so it didn’t get too wild.”

“What are House Elves?”

“They are magical servants. In most houses they are nothing more than slaves. Some owners will even kill their House Elves if they see fit. The Potters have for centuries treated their House Elves as equals and employed them. They are one of the few families who even allow the House Elves to eat at the table with them.”

“Your society condones Slavery?” The Queen had stopped walking and made everyone else stop too.

“The section that we are fighting against feel they are superior to all others, including nonmagical and other magical sentient beings. They feel that everyone should serve under them and do not hesitate to kill and torture those who oppose them.”

The Queen looked at him for several seconds. “How long has this been going on?”

“Centuries, more than a thousand years,” said Arthur. He was feeling rather ashamed of the magical community now. “We must make it through the hedgerow. Can we move along, and I will be happy to answer your questions for you.”

Arthur led the long group of people through a hidden passage through the hedgerow and out to an area where they could see the manor house. He heard several gasps behind him. He turned to ask them the security question. “I must ask you a question. Answer it honestly and we can proceed to the house.”

“I don’t think I can walk that far,” said the Queen.

“Answer the question and I will think of something,” said Arthur.

“I need everyone’s attention,” he shouted. “You will need to answer this question before you can continue. Do you intend any harm to Harry and Ginny Potter, any of their family, friends, or associates?”

He almost laughed when several people asked who the Potters were. Eventually, everyone said no to the question. Each person reacted the same way when they answered the question. They all looked around to see what was different. Arthur leaned toward the Queen. “You just felt the magical ward lift off you.”

“Magical ward?” she asked.

“If you had lied and intended to harm anyone in this compound. Well, let’s say bad things would have happened.”

“What, I would be turned into a frog?” she said half joking.

“No the person would either be totally paralyzed or we think in some cases the ground will swallow them up,” he said seriously. The Queen and everyone else around him stared at him with shocked expressions. “We could sort you out, if we would want to, but it won’t cause any serious damage. Now, let’s get you something to make the trip to the manor easier.”

Arthur started cutting pieces of the hedgerow off and transfiguring it into a large carriage that could seat the entire royal family. He smiled at their expressions of shock that he could do such a thing. He had just completed the carriage, when Alastor’s Patronus appeared. It wasn’t for him it was for Tonks.

“Nymphadora, you need to go back to London. I just got a Patronus from Robards. The Death Eaters released Fiendfyre in Parliament.”

The Patronus vaporized leaving a stricken Tonks. “I need to get back Arthur.”

“You be careful, Tonks,” said Arthur, as Tonks Apparated away. The thoughts of anyone trying contain and extinguish Fiendfyre was scary to him.

“What is Fiendfyre?” asked the Queen.

“It is a cursed fire that can’t be extinguished by any means except magic, and even then it is difficult. The worse thing is any burns from the fire can never be healed.”

“That is horrible, who would do such a thing,” exclaimed the Queen. Her eyes looked to be filling with tears.

“Evil people your Grace that is why we are fighting them.” Arthur waved his wand and the carriage moved forward with the entire royal family on it. Their guards and he walked along beside.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Rodolphus Lestrange landed hard on the ground. It had been the longest Portkey trip he had ever taken. His head was spinning and he felt half sick. Form the looks of everyone else in his party they all felt the same. As they all stood up from the ground, the first thing he noticed was the dry heat. There was no way they were in the England. He noticed that the construction was of sandstone, and the buildings looked as if they were in Egypt.

“Where are we?” asked Rabastan.

“I think Egypt,” Rodolphus responded. “It looks deserted. Look around and try to find where the Order has its headquarters.”

“I say we surround this place. It must be their landing area,” said Tormund, one of the newer Death Eaters.

“He has a point brother,” said Rabastan.

“Yes, Tormund, you are right, but in the meantime while we are waiting it would be good to be sure we are not out numbered. There might be a hundred Order members hiding here.”

“The Dark Lord said that there are only about thirty Order Members,” countered Tormund.

Rodolphus thought about eliminating one of their numbers, but his wand might be needed. “If there were only thirty Order members, then where did they get so many to counter us at the Ministry? There had to be about a hundred.”

“You only think there was a hundred because you are a coward,” shouted Tormund.

“How dare you call me a coward,” Rodolphus shouted. “I have gone to Azkaban for the Dark Lord. You have done nothing.”

“Stop it you two,” shouted one of the new recruits. “We have company.”

Rodolphus looked around to see they were surrounded by Goblins. They weren’t the normal looking goblins that one would find in Gringotts, but these ones were wearing plate armor and carrying long handled battle axes. The goblins had formed a circle around them. There were two goblins for each on them.

“Where did these come from?” Rodolphus asked.

“I don’t know we were too busy watching you two argue like an old married couple to pay attention,” said one of the new recruits.

“Leave now or pay the consequences,” shouted Rabastan waving his wand in their direction.

None of the goblins even flinched at his shouting. They acted as though they were not afraid of wizards. “I suggest we teach these goblins who their superiors are,” growled Rabastan.

He along with several other of the Death Eaters stepped towards the goblins. He pointed his wand at one of them and shouted. “Avada Kedavra!”

Nothing happened! None of their wands produced any spells. They each tried again, but again their wands didn’t work. Everyone started trying to cast spells, but none of their wands would produce any magic.

“We need to get out of here,” shouted Rabastan. He turned as though he was Apparating, but he didn’t disappear. “What the hell is happening?” He screamed at Rodolphus.

Rodolphus was confused. It was almost as if magic doesn’t work here. Why would the Order use this as their safe location? The realization hit him as the goblins started to close the circle around them. They were raising their battle axes as they stepped forward.

“Snape knew that he would be killed. This was a trap, the filthy traitor,” Rodolphus said, as the air was filled with screams of wizards and witches.

Back to index


Chapter 32: Like a Beautiful Jewel in the Night

Author's Notes: Well it has taken a long time to get here, four chapters, but it is finally the end of the day the Voldemort took over the Ministry. There were so many story threads to create going forward that needed started. I promise that the rest of the days will move along at a faster pace.
I would like to once again thank my Bet, Lief, for his wonderful work.


Vernon Dursley drove down the street to his house while weaving left and right on the road. He was too busy looking around at the people along the street and for people in the sky to pay attention to what side of the road he was on. He had been listening to the news on the radio today at work. The country was under attack from terrorists. That didn’t concern him as much as who the terrorists could be; they were all freaks like his worthless nephew that lived in the country. One of the eyewitnesses said the terrorists were aliens because they were shooting ray guns at people and killing and maiming them. The reporter and everyone else at the office laughed at the witness, but he knew the truth.

The brakes screeched as he slid to a stop in his driveway. The car was actually parked at an angle with the left front tire the grass, but he didn’t care. He flung the door open and, as quickly as a man of his girth could, he ran for the house.

He didn’t bother to say good evening to Petunia. He went straight to the telly in the sitting room. Grabbing the remote he plopped himself down onto his chair and turned on the telly. The news was on the channel the telly had been set to. It probably didn’t matter what channel he turned to everyone would have the news story.

“Vernon is everything all right? You are home early,” said Petunia. She wore rubber gloves, apron, and the odor of bleach. “Is that Parliament on fire?”

“Yes, haven’t you been listening to the bloody news? Our country is under attack! You know who is attacking our government?” Vernon stopped talking and turned the sound up as the newscast went to an on the scene reporter.

“Hello, this is Bob James, and I am at the scene of the terrorist attack earlier today. As you all have heard…,”

“Except you,” Vernon growled at his wife.

“…Parliament was attacked today at noon. It was a calculated and planned attack that has left over one hundred people dead and many more injured. The terrorists started the attack just behind me on a crowded street. It was fifteen past noon when they attacked so the streets were filled with people. It was reported that they first shot a rocket at Big Ben destroying the historic landmark. They then proceeded to attack the innocent bystanders as they moved inside of the Parliament building. Once inside they continued to attack people before meeting up with security who were able to shoot and kill three of them. The terrorists then released some type of an incendiary device before fleeing. The resulting fire raged out of control for several hours before it was finally contained. If you look behind me, you will see the firemen are still busy putting out the fire. I have been assured that the fire is under control and it won’t be spreading any further.”

“Bob, I need to interrupt you,”
said the anchorman at the station as the broadcast turned back to the studio. “I have been told by our director that a person has turned in a video of the attack. This is breaking news ladies and gentleman, a video of the attack on Parliament. It is also been said that there was an incident at Number 10 at the same time. The authorities have yet to confirm that report, but if this was an organized attack it would make perfectly good sense to attack the Prime Minister and Parliament at the same time.”

The News anchor held his hand over the microphone and spoke to someone of the set for several seconds before focusing his attention back at the camera.“I understand the video is ready to be seen. Here it is the exclusive video everyone.”

Vernon leaned in closer to the telly so he didn’t miss any detail. There on the screen were ten people dressed in those ridiculous outfits that those ruddy freaks wore. As soon as the one freak aimed his stick at Big Ben and shot a beam of light at it blasting a hole in the face, the rest of them attacked. There were flashes of light of all colors coming from the freaks. The video suddenly stopped. The news anchorman looked shocked at what he saw. He stared at the camera with a blank expression on his face and then off the set at someone. It appeared he was looking for guidance at what to say.

“I have been told that Scotland Yard has demanded that we are not show the video as it contains graphic scenes and not all next of kin have been notified.”

Vernon didn’t need to see any more. He turned off the telly and turned to face Petunia. “I knew it. It was those ruddy freaks like your sister and nephew,” he shouted at Petunia. “Well, they will find out Vernon Dursley is no man to be trifled with. I am going out and getting ready for them to attack.”

“Vernon, What are you going to do?”

“I am buying myself a gun!” he shouted, as he marched out the front door.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Lucius Malfoy stood staring at the gates of Hogwarts. He had to break through the wards and so far he had not been successful. He didn’t want to return and ask the Dark Lord for help. He knew he would be punished for failing again. He had to figure a way through the wards. He had arrived outside of the gates to find his son and several other Slytherin children sitting and waiting on them.

Evidently, Dumbledore had already evacuated the school. He had sent most to Hogsmeade and the remaining ones, all the undesirable ones, he held back. Draco said he saw them and Professors McGonagall, Flitwick and Sprout leading them towards Hagrid’s hut. It was obvious they were trying to escape through the forbidden forest. He would look for the survivors after he rid the school of Dumbledore.

But first he had to get through the wards.

He kept trying to remember everything he had learned about the wards at Hogwarts. He remembered that the wards were put into place by the Headmaster. He couldn’t remember if the Ministry and the board of governors could change the present headmaster and rename someone else like himself. He could then lower the wards to allow him access.

“Are we gonna stand here all bleedin’ day?” asked Crabbe Sr.

“Aye, I say we go find those Mudbloods and use them to have Dumbledore lower the wards. He would never allow us to torture and kill Mudbloods,” said a newer Death Eater Mangus.

“Do you know where they are?” asked Lucius.

“No, we could go lookin’ fer dem.”

“If you wish to go find them and bring some back here, then by all means do it,” said Lucius. “However, you will go alone. We do not have time to try to search for a group of children. The Dark Lord wants this castle taken today. He is not a patient man.”

“You ain’t gonna break through those wards with this group, Malfoy,” laughed Mangus. “You’ll still be here when I come back with about a half dozen o’ Mudbloods.”

Lucius realized the option of having the board of governors or Voldemort naming him as the Headmaster of Hogwarts were slight to nonexistent. Mangus might be wandering around out there for a week. He had no choice. “Bombardia,” he shouted at the persistent wards.

His spell exploded on the surface of the wards. Soon everyone was firing spells at the wards guarding Hogwarts. The constant barrage of spells on the ward created a hammering sound like a heavy hammer hitting steel at about one beat every three seconds.

The ward started to flex and move. It hadn’t done that before. Maybe if they kept up at it a little longer, they might be successful.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][

Minerva McGonagall stumbled along the path in the Forbidden Forest. She was presently walking at the back of the long column of students and Centaurs. The high canopy of trees blocked out most of the sunlight. She could tell by the angles of the shafts of light that it was getting near dinner time. For the most part the students didn’t complain. Ron Weasley didn’t openly complain to her or the other teachers. He did complain to some of the fellow students. He was already hungry and nearly dying from malnourishment.

The Centaurs were getting on Minerva’s nerves. They have been galloping around the column of students and their own foals at full speed. Many of them have their bows with the arrows already notched.

“We need to pick up the pace. We need to leave the forest before nightfall,” whispered Bane the lead Centaur. He had moved back the line and spoke to everyone along the column.

Minerva wasn’t going to argue with him, but she did have some questions to ask him. She had been watching the sun all day and they seem to have marched the entire column in almost every direction of the compass. They seemed to be coming around to the correct direction as she thought they should be going. She knew the forest was most dangerous at night, but certainly nothing would attack this many people and centaurs all gathered together.

A pounding could be heard at a distance. They had heard it before, and assumed it was the Death Eaters trying to gain access to Hogwarts. She hoped that Professor Dumbledore would be fine. She didn’t know how he could hold off all the Death Eaters indefinitely. It was a noble but foolish gesture on his part and she didn’t believe what Bane had been saying about Hogwarts being destroyed by the Headmaster. She even considered using Hogwarts as the Orders stronghold until they could defeat Voldemort. It will now be a lot more difficult without Harry Potter.

Something moved in the forest in front of her to the right hand side by the middle of the column. She was just able to notice several branches moving before the Centaurs sent a volley of arrows into the brush. Whatever was in there let out a strange high pitch scream that made her skin erupt in gooseflesh.

Bane reared up on his rear legs and shouted. “We have been spotted. Don’t worry about making noise. Run, we must get to the boundary as fast as possible.”

Minerva pulled up her long robes up so she could try to keep up as everyone broke into a run. There had better be a Chimera out there for the Centaurs to act like this. She hated running and she didn’t know how far she could run at her age.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore stood on the Astronomy tower and stared out at the main gate. He could sense about twenty wizards and witches out there along with many more children. He was actually disappointed. He realized that he had gotten old, but he still felt he could defeat twenty at his present state.

He was concerned about the children. If he does what he planned, he would hurt them. Most of them are children of Death Eaters, accomplices, or just plain Slytherins. It didn’t matter what family they came from, they were still children and he didn’t want to hurt them. It would figure that Tom would send children against him, knowing how he hated to see children hurt. He was once responsible for the death of one child. He never wanted to feel that guilt again. He will need to figure something out, and he didn’t have much time. Once they break through the wards, he will only have about five minutes to spring his trap.

He held the book written by the three founders behind his back as he paced on the top of the tower. There had to be a solution to his dilemma. How could he protect the children and still make the older ones pay for their attempts at attacking this school? If he springs the trap before they make it to the door of the castle, they could escape. It would mean the school would be protected, but they could rejoin the war. He didn’t know what the outcome of the war will be, but he won’t be around to see it.

He never had a problem with sacrificing himself for this noble cause, but he always thought that he would die by another person’s wand. He never figured he would be the one responsible for his own death. It seemed too much like suicide, and yet from what he read it won’t exactly be suicide.

Whether it would be suicide or not doesn’t matter, it must be done. There are some secrets that are too dangerous to be revealed. If Tom discovers what this castle was built on, he truly would have the power to rule the world.

Albus stopped his pacing to stare out at the main gate. They were weakening the wards surrounding the grounds. He must come up with a solution to his problem soon, because he needs to leave this place and arrive at the moving staircases long before they break though the wards.

Taking a deep breath, he tried to block out everything that was going on in the world and look at the castle and grounds of Hogwarts one last time. It was such a beautiful place. One of the most beautiful places he had ever been to in his life. He may be a bit biased, but he truly felt that way.

He would do anything to keep it from falling into Tom’s clutches. With that thought, Albus left the Astronomy tower. He even took the time to close and latch the trapdoor.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Minerva gasped for breath as she forced her feet to keep pace with everyone. There was not any underbrush in this section of the forest because the trees were so high and the canopy so dense. They had been running for fifteen minutes and it looked as if they had reached their destination. Centaurs and students were gathering around a tree with a split trunk. She could hear Hagrid calling for her.

The Centaur called Firenze trotted back to her. “You are needed in the front, Transfiguration Professor.”

She had to wait several seconds to catch her breath before speaking. “I will be up as soon as possible. Was that run necessary?”

“Yes, it was very necessary, and you need to get to the tree if we are to escape a terrible death.” Firenze turned and trotted off to the tree.

“Well excuse me for asking,” she huffed under her breath. The Centaur’s attitude irritated her enough to make her forget how tired she was or how much her feet and knees hurt right now. Gripping her wand she strode through the crowd to the tree. She doesn’t even know what was so important about the tree.
The Centaurs had taken a defensive position around the students with their bows drawn.

“I am here,” she announced unnecessarily as it seemed that everyone was staring at her.

“The opening in the Wards are the gap in the tree,” said Bane. “It has grown since the last time we were here. My herd cannot climb up that high. We need you to make a ramp up and back down the other side.”

Minerva stared at the tree. It was an ancient oak tree with a split trunk that grew apart and then back together to make an opening about ten feet high and four feet wide in the middle. The opening started about six feet above the ground.

“I offered to hand people up through, but they said it would take too long and no one could help them down the other side,” said Hagrid. “We don’t need to hurry. They won’t hurt us.”

She was about to ask who wouldn’t hurt them. When she heard a little girl scream. She spun around to see who it was and was surprised to hear the scream coming from Ron Weasley. He was screaming and pointing at something high in the branches above them. Everyone else started screaming as they all saw the same thing. Acromantulas were dropping down from the branches.

The Centaurs fired arrows at them. Some of the arrows hit the descending spiders. One or two stopped their descent but the others kept coming.

“Professor McGonagall, the ramp,” shouted Bane.

She turned and with two quick whips of her wand she produced a three foot wide ramp leading up to the opening between the split trunks. She walked up the ramp and produced another ramp leading back to the ground on the other side.

“Come along everyone,” she said loudly. “Don’t push or run we can make it if we don’t panic.”

Professors Flitwick and Sprout started getting the students moving up the ramp while a female Centaur did the same for the foals. She kept an eye them as they passed through the opening in the wards. She kept checking on the other side to ensure the Acromantulas had not made it through the ward.

The Centaurs were keeping many of the spiders at bay with drawn bows. The Spiders were afraid of the arrows. Hagrid approached the largest spider.

“Get outta ‘ere and leave us alone,” he shouted. “Aragog guaranteed our safety.”

“My grandfather guaranteed only your safety, Hagrid,” said the spider with a high pitched wheezy voice. “He never guaranteed the safety of anyone else.”

“I don’ care. You leave us alone,” shouted Hagrid again. He pulled a crossbow from under that large moleskin coat. With two fingers, he pulled the string back and notched a bolt. “Leave now,” he shouted. “I won’t let you hurt anyone any of my friends.”

“You can’t stop us if you are dead, Hagrid,” wheezed the spider.

The Acromantula’s attacked in full force. The ones from the trees dropped quickly and it looked like there were a hundred smaller ones running out from behind every tree. Minerva was busy helping everyone thought the wards as the group was almost in a panic. Fred and George had to nearly drag Ron up the ramp because he was so scared. Filius and Percy Weasley stood at the base of the ramp and fired curses at the attacking spiders. Bane and the other Centaurs were sending volley after volley of arrows at the spiders. Several of the House Elves were also blasting the spiders with their magic. It seemed for every spider they stopped two more would take its place.

The battle raged for only about fifteen minutes until the students and the Centaur herd had made it through opening in the wards. As Percy, Pomona, and Filius turned to run up the ramp. She started firing off Arania Exumea spells to stop the still advancing spiders. Bane sent his warriors up the ramp as they were about out of arrows. Hagrid had also run out of arrows. He was now using his crossbow as a club against the attacking spiders.

“Hagrid hurry and get up the ramp,” shouted Bane.

“You go,” shouted Hagrid. “I’ll hold these ungrateful spiders off.” A spider had jumped at him and he hit it with his crossbow sending flying like it was an eight legged Bludger.

Bane turned and started up the ramp as the last of his herd. She kept firing spells at the spiders, but they just kept on coming. Hagrid stepped onto the ramp as the last of the Centaurs trotted up the ramp. He kept clubbing the oncoming spiders. Minerva was casting spell after spell at the spiders that were trying to get behind him.

“Hagrid, I can hold them off while you squeeze through the portal.”

“No, Perfessor, you go. My giant hide will protect me. I saved Aragog an’ gave him a life back here and this is how they repay me. Go!”

“Hagrid…,”

“No Perfessor, go now. They must learn that they are not gonna win an’ leave. Now go, lead the children to safety.” Hagrid sent two spiders to their death with a mighty swing of his crossbow.

She looked at the area at the bottom of the ramp she had just created. The ground was covered with dead spiders with others crawling over them to get to Hagrid. They seemed to have given up trying to drop from the trees. She couldn’t believe that there were this many Acromantulas in the forbidden forest.

“Go Perfessor,” Hagrid shouted at her. With his left hand he gently pushed her through the opening as he again clubbed two spiders. They were attacking so ferociously that he would hit one with his fore swing and another with his back.

She stepped through the opening to see everyone was ready to leave. She looked back and only saw Hagrid’s moleskin coat filling the opening. Trees had grown along the barrier wards to the point where she couldn’t see the area they had just left. She could hear Hagrid fighting and yelling at the spiders as they kept attacking him.

She realized that Hagrid could defend himself against many wild beasts that could kill even a well-trained wizard. There was no way that he could fight off that many spiders by himself. There were too many they surely would surround him and eventually overwhelm him. He had to know that too. Hagrid had sacrificed himself for the rest of them. She had thought about creating a barrier in the portal, but the spiders seemed so determined to attack them, that they might have eventually broken through. It took all her resolve not to cry for Hogwarts Keeper of the Keys and Grounds, but she needed to be strong for the children.

“Where is Hagrid?” asked Pomona meeting her at the bottom of the ramp.

“He has decided to stay and keep spiders from following us.”

“But surely he will die,” said Pomona. Her voice cracked as tears formed in her eyes.

Minerva looked at her friend. She couldn’t say anything because she would start crying or do something very Gryffindor and go back to save Hagrid. They needed to ensure the safety of the children.

“We need to get everyone away from this place and up to the mountain,” she said to everyone who was gathering around her. “We must leave for our own safety. Hagrid chose to do this so we could escape.”

No one said a word. The sound of Hagrid clubbing and yelling at the spiders and their eerie screeches echoed from behind her. They all knew what he had done, but no one said a word. All the students looked like they too were close to tears, but they turned and started walking away. The Centaurs and House Elves also started to leave, except Bane and his warriors. They stopped to raise their bows and faced Hagrid before leaving. Minerva took one last glance back at his hairy coat before she followed everyone else. The group who had to be told to be quite a few minutes ago was now completely silent as they started off through the woods. She took out her handkerchief and dabbed her eyes as she walked.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Albus Dumbledore stepped into the stairwell with the moving stairs. He smiled up at the moving stairs. All the students always thought the stairs were just one of those funny and interesting things about the castle. Little did they know that they were so much more than a planned inconvenience? This castle was built on a magical location that radiated magic. The stairs moved because of the excess magic being emitted into the castle. They used up the magical energy and distributed it evenly throughout the castle. If it wasn’t for this ingenious design the castle would have collapsed years ago.

Albus walked into the center of the stairwell and opened the book. There were the words that once he spoke them there would be no return. When he was young, he never thought about spending his life teaching young children. His desire was to explore the world and discover and solve magical mysteries. Little did he know in his youth that he would learn so many things while teaching children how to Transfigure matchsticks to needles.

"Halt in the name of Merlin" he called out in Welsh. He smiled as the stairs stopped moving. He immediately could feel the magical energy building up around him. It had been a long time since he spoke Welsh or any of the other languages required of him.

"Grant me the control of the castle's power," he said in ancient Greek.He hoped his Greek pronunciation was accurate. Nothing seemed to be happening around him.

He looked at the book again. He wondered why they chose three different languages. The only reason he could think was to reduce the possibility of someone accidently saying them. He stared at the last phrase that he had to say. What would happen? It said that he would control the magic of the castle and the grounds, and there was no returning from this level.

What did the book mean by not returning from this level? Did it mean that the castle would be destroyed upon completing the phrase? He had hoped that he could chose the exact time.

“Yes, you can Albus Dumbledore Headmaster of Hogwarts,” a female voice whispered to him.

Albus looked around the stairwell. There was no one there. He knew someone had spoken to him. The voice had a slight French accent.

"Magic is for helping others not dominating them,"" he said in German. It was a strange choice for a third language. He wondered why they didn’t use Latin.

“Because the students learn Latin to cast spells,” said a man with a Welsh accent. This voice was louder and stronger than he had heard before.

Albus dropped the book when he saw four people standing before him. They were not actual people. They were wraiths that glowed and pulsed with magic.

“Hello, Albus Dumbledore the last Headmaster of Hogwarts,” said a woman with long dark hair that flowed down and across her shoulders. She wore light weight bronze colored robes that highlighted her slender figure. She was also wearing a diadem.

“Rowena Ravenclaw?” Albus said.

“Yes, I am or was if you want to be precise,” she smiled at him. “I wanted you in my house, but you decided bravery was a greater quality.”

“Bravery is a better quality,” said one of the male wraiths with a Welsh accent. He was tall and rugged looking with black hair that looked windswept. He wore a heavy cloak with heavy shirt, pantaloons, riding boots, and a sword at his side. “As you probably deduced, I am Godric Gryffindor and this gentle lass is Helga Hufflepuff. We invited her to help us with this school even though she is German.”

“Yes, you invited me because you needed me to help build this school and teach its classes, and I am a distant cousin,” she replied to him.

“Have you guessed who our fourth person is?” said Godric with delight.

Albus could almost feel his joy at asking the question. It would be quite natural to think the fourth person was Salazar Slytherin, but this was a final defense against him taking over the school. So that man wasn’t Slytherin. He was tall with a long white beard and hair. He wore heavy robes with stars and planets embroidered on them. The tall pointy wizard’s hat also had stars and planets on it. He held a long staff that was almost as tall as he. Albus thought he had seen pictures of him before, but he couldn’t place a name to him. It was bothering Albus something terrible. He should know this wizard.

“Come, Come, Albus think about the hints we have left for you,” teased Godric.

“Gadric,” said Helga with a huff.

“The name is Godric,” he replied with an emphasis on the ‘God’.

“We wrote that book because we were afraid that Salazar would return and reclaim the castle,” said Helga. “Using the power available to him, he would have turned it into a school of Magical soldiers to dominate the nonmagical.”

“I would not have liked that. That is not the most divine purpose of magic,” the fourth person finally spoke.

Albus realized who it was, but that was impossible. “Merlin,” he said quietly.

“Is that your guess or are you just using my name in vain,” Merlin said. “I can hear many things in this school, particularly if it is said in the stairwell. Merlin this and Merlin that. I never realized that people would use my name that way. I will tell you something though.” He pointed the end of his staff at Albus. “I do not have saggy Y-pants. Whatever they are.”

Albus had to bite his tongue. He wanted to laugh, but it appeared that Merlin wasn’t pranking him. So he smiled and nodded politely to him. He still wasn’t sure why he was here. He was not surprised by the Founders, but he didn’t know Merlin was involved in the construction of this school.

“I am here because they built this castle on top of my cave where I was trapped for eternity.”

“You found Merlin’s cave,” Albus said with a great deal of enthusiasm to the three founders.

“It was actually Salazar’s grandfather that found the location. He had told Salazar that this location was the most magically powerful location in Britain,” said Rowena Ravenclaw. “He never told Salazar about the source of the power. We were building the castle, when I realized that there was something pumping magical energy into the castle.”

“It took us well over two years to realize what it was,” said Helga. “Salazar had told us about what his grandfather had said to him. We thought it was peculiar that he said the most powerful location in Britain. It seemed a bit strange because it does not lie on any Laylines. We investigated and finally realized that there was something buried under this area that was extremely strong. We had discovered the entrance, but we could not gain access to the actual cave. It didn’t take long for us to realize that we were building a castle on top Merlin’s cave.”

“Helga and Rowena left out one other thing that happened that made us realize the extent of magical power that was flowing from this hill. The first castle crumbled before it was halfway constructed. Stone blocks popped out of the walls and the walls became unstable before collapsing. We tried to build it a second time and the exact same thing happened. That was when Salazar decided to use the stone his grandfather had said never to touch. He had heard rumors of what his Grandfather had done in his life and the Resurrection Stone.”

“He drew me out of my slumber like his Grandfather had years before,” said Merlin.

“We then understood what we had here, and Rowena designed the staircase to distribute the magic evenly throughout the school,” said Helga. “It was also why Salazar didn’t want children from nonmagical families to attend. He felt they would draw or steal all the magical stored from Merlin’s cave. Leaving no magic for future purebloods to draw from when they attend school.”

“Which shows how much he knew about magic,” said Merlin. “Before we discuss anything more, Headmaster, you must decide.”

Albus looked at the patriarch of magic in Britain with a puzzled expression.

“You must decide if you want to sacrifice yourself and become one of us, or return to your body and to the living,” said Merlin. He pointed his staff behind Albus.

Turning around Albus saw something that shocked him. His actual physical body standing there staring straight forward as though in a trance.

“We did not want Headmasters to use the spell out of pure curiosity, so we made it sound as though there was no turning back,” said Godric. “Albus Dumbledore, if you wish you may return to your body and continue to fight against Voldemort in your physical form, you may. If you remain with us your only option would be the destruction of the castle.”

“Even if I would destroy the castle, Voldemort could still harness the magical energy flowing from the cave,” he said to the Founders.

“No he wouldn’t until he rebuilt the castle,” said Rowena. “The magic is like steam coming off boiling water. If you don’t put a lid on it, it doesn’t build up any pressure or sometimes you can’t even see it. If you put a lid on the cauldron, then the steam can build up pressure until it pushes the lid right off the cauldron.”

“You must decide quickly, Headmaster,” said Merlin.

“I will stay,” Albus said with finality. “All our plans fell with Harry Potter. The resistance is in shambles right now. They may eventually get reorganized, but they won’t stand a chance if he gains control of this castle. He will make it his home base and start to feed off its magical presence. I can do more good for the resistance, if I remain here. I may be able to keep him from using the magical powers coming from this site. If I return to my physical form, I may not be strong enough to defeat him. I gave away Salazar’s great uncle‘s wand.”

“You had the wand of Destiny?” asked Godric.

“I did. I never knew the history behind it or your history, until Harry Potter allowed me to see his family vault and his family history. His ancient name is Harry Peverell."

"I am glad to hear the Peverell line has remained strong and intact,” said Godric.

Albus didn’t respond to Godric. He watched as his physical body crumbled into a pile of dust. “No, it hasn’t. The heir to the Peverell line is dead.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur Weasley sat and listened to everyone relay information to the Queen. She didn’t say anything until they were finished. The latest had over two hundred Muggles perishing in the attacks, either from spells or the fire. Many more were suffering and dying because the Muggle healers could stop the bleeding or repair the burns form the victims. It was possible that almost three hundred could be dead by morning.

“How many members of Parliament were injured or killed?” the Queen asked.

“None of the actual members were actually hurt. They were all on lunch break,” said Clyde Ferndock, Alastor’s Squib nephew. “Many of the killed and injured seems to be tourists. We do not have an exact number of countries that they were from, your Grace. The Prime Minister is compiling that information as we speak.”

“I will need to send a note of regret and an apology to the countries that those tourists were from. I also need to go to London. The people of this nation must see me at Parliament. I will not stay hidden away in a hole. I may not run the government, but my appearance will bolster the people’s courage. If everything that I have heard is correct, and I don’t doubt what you say about this self-proclaimed Lord. Only a monster would order the killing of innocent people without provocation. Things will be getting worse before they get any better.

“Clyde, make the arrangements. I want press and as many Ministers as is safe around me. I want the people of this nation to believe that its leadership hasn’t been cowered by that attack.”

“Your Grace,” said Moody, as politely as Arthur had ever heard him talk. “We cannot guarantee your safety.”

“That isn’t important. My heirs and family will remain here. I may die, but they will not eliminate the Royal Family. Mr. Moody, there are times where the death of a leader is less important than the actions of the leader. Clyde, I want to be in London by seven in the morning. That way the nation can see me before they go off to work. What time will I need to leave here to do that?”

“Fifty after six, your Grace,” said Arthur. “If you don’t mind a Portkey trip?”

The elderly woman looked at him for a second. “I will have only tea and toast in the morning around six. Good night everyone.”

Arthur, Clyde, Alastor, Tonks, Kingsley, Emmeline, and Gawain all left the bedroom suite that the Queen now occupied. It had been Harry and Ginny’s, but they don’t need it now.

“That is one tough old bird,” said Alastor.

“Don’t let any of the security detail hear you say that, Uncle. They will likely try to shoot you for not showing the Queen the proper respect.”

“I didn’t say I didn’t respect her. Hell, we need leaders like that not some stupid old Fudge.”

“I need to go to London and back here tonight,” Clyde said to the group. “It will take me about two hours to work out the details for tomorrow morning. How will I do that?”

“You have access to the Potter Manor,” said Arthur. “Gabriel can make you two Portkeys. One will take you to London and another will bring you back here. The second one will need an activation key set on it, so you can activate it when you are ready.”

“We don’t want you disappearing in the middle of a meeting with Muggles,” laughed Moody.

“After today, Uncle, I don’t think it will matter anymore. You will no longer be able to hide your and my former society from the Muggles.” Clyde stared at them for several seconds before speaking again. “Who is Gabriel and where can I find him.”

“I’ll take you to him,” said Tonks. She led the man away from the group when they reached the bottom of the stairs. The rest of them walked into the map room. Alastor glanced up at the map. It looked relatively quiet.

“He is right. After what happened today. There will be no way to repair the Secrecy of our Society,” said Gawain. “It is very possible that the International Confederation will sanction us.”

“If they want to do something,” said Kingsley. “Let them come into our country and defeat Voldemort without revealing our society. We have too many things to worry about here to be concerned about what a group of politicians have to say hundreds of miles away.”

“I hope Amelia was able to destroy the Magical Transportation Department,” said Moody. “If she didn’t we will be having Death Eaters knocking on our wards by tomorrow.”

“As long as the Wards hold up, we will be fine,” said Emmeline.

Moody looked at Arthur at Emmeline’s comment. “I bet they didn’t hear. I didn’t have time to tell them.”

“Tell us what?” asked Kingsley and Gawain together.

“I don’t believe it, Alastor,” said Arthur. “If Harry was dead, the wards would have collapsed.”

“Harry Potter is dead?” shouted Emmeline, Gawain, and Kingsley in unison.

“He was hit with a Killing Curse in the Ministry,” said Alastor. “Voldemort cast it. He looked dead when they Portkeyed him away.”

“Like I said. If Harry was dead then the Wards and all the protections from the blood Wards would have failed.”

“Is Ginny still alive?” asked Emmeline. “She could take over for the House of Potter. She is carrying the heir.”

Arthur looked at them. “Because of their soul bond, if one dies the other will quickly die. It could be within minutes to hours, but by this time they would most certainly be dead along with their child. The wards are still standing, so we can only assume that Harry and Ginny are still alive. I just wish I could hear from them, and my other children. Minerva is bringing them to us here at the Manor. So they must cross Scotland without being detected.”

“Your family will be all right Arthur,” said Gawain. “They had a smart father to teach them how to survive.”

Arthur chuckled at Gawain’s comment. “They survived growing up in that house, how much more difficult could it be dealing with Death Eaters.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was solely focused on Ginny. Her face was flushed with drops of perspiration beading on her forehead and upper lip. He gently wiped it away. It had been nearly ten hours since she went into labor. It didn’t seem that the baby was any closer to being born then when they first started. The contractions have been steady and unrelenting. Each one made her scream in pain. With every scream, he felt more and more helpless. He kept telling her that the baby was about to come out for the first four hours. When the contractions kept coming he had to think of something else to say. He had gone through almost every excuse/encouragement that he could think of, but the contractions kept making her scream in agony. He had finally relented to just saying that he was sorry that she was going through this pain.

“Ginny, don’t get discouraged,” said her mother. “You are two weeks early. Your body wasn’t ready to have your baby just yet. I wish I could take your pain away, but I can’t. Please don’t be angry at Harry.”

Harry looked at his mother-in-law in shock. Why would Ginny be angry at him? He was going to make a comment about the baby being her idea, but decided to bite his tongue. He noticed Madam Pomfrey looking at Molly with a sad expression.

“Mrs. Potter, You were not ready to have this baby. Unfortunately, the circumstances have forced our hand. You are slowly effacing, so once your body completes that part, your baby should pop right out.”

“Effacing?” asked Ginny.

“Yes, Mrs. Potter, Effacing,” the Nurse said before launching into a long detailed explanation of what effacing was and how it was the problem.

Ginny lay there absorbing all the information without asking a single question. Harry could tell by her expression that she didn’t miss a single thing that the Healer had said. Finally, the explanation came to an end. It was more information than Harry ever wanted to know about the fertilization, gestation and delivery of a human baby. Sometimes it was blissful to be ignorant.

“Here comes another one,” Ginny groaned. Her groan quickly became a growling scream. Harry almost yelled and pulled his hand away, but he knew she was going through more pain then what he was feeling. It was one time that the soul bond was completely unnecessary to know what his spouse was thinking.

“Harry, I am going to need your magic. I am too weak right now. Please don’t fight it,” she said barely above a whisper.

She closed her eyes and started to concentrate. The pull on his magic was faint at first, but it quickly increased with each passing second. Finally, after only a minute, Ginny relaxed and opened her eyes.

“Poppy, I am going to deliver on the next push,” Ginny said.

“Mrs. Potter, don’t try to force the baby out,” admonished the Nurse. “You could damage the baby and yourself.”

“I am ready,” Ginny simply said.

Harry believed her. It wasn’t anything dealing with the bond. He just knew that she wasn’t lying at this time. He watched as Madam Pomfrey waved her wand over Ginny’s swollen belly. The nurse’s expression showed surprise when she finished casting the Diagnostics Charms.

“You are ready,” Madam Pomfrey said distractedly. “How, did that happen?”

“Magic, Poppy,” said Ginny with a smile. The smile quickly vanished as she let out a moan. “It’s time.”

Ginny crushed his hand as the pain of child birth overtook her. He focused on her and tried to be as supportive as he could under the circumstances. Time seemed to be speed up, as Poppy was quickly holding up a crying baby. Joy washed over him, when he looked at his son. Ginny was crying tears of joy. Suddenly, there was nothing else in Harry’s world, except his family.

“I’ll clean him up and then you can hold him,” said Poppy. She laid his son down on a small bed and started casting Cleaning and Diagnostic Charms on him.

Harry turned back to his wife. He wanted to tell her how much he loved her, but words were failing him, so he kissed her. As they were kissing, Poppy slid their son between them. They stopped kissing each other and both gently pressed a kiss on their baby’s head.

“Harry, could I ask a favor?” Ginny asked. He could hear concern in her voice and he could feel it through the bond.

“Sure, anything for you, love.”

“I would like to name our son Xenon James Potter,” she said.

“Xenon? Where did you get that name?”

“It was his name. The Elf that saved you and me. There is much I need to tell you about that Elf, but not right now. I am tired and I just want to spend tonight holding our son and you.”

Harry had no idea how she knew the Elf’s name. He was very curious about what she had to say. There were many things he needed to tell her. After being hit with the Killing Curse, he fell into a dimension that he never expected. It was like a strange surrealistic painting. There were no defined shapes, but there were plenty of things there. The most important part was the piece of Voldemort’s soul was gone from him, and will never come back. It had been pulled into a black abyss.

“If you want to call him Xenon, then that is fine with me. However, if he wants to know why we named him, Xenon, you can explain it.”

Ginny giggled at his comment and pulled him in and kissed him. Harry crawled into the bed with her, and he felt the bed expand so he could comfortably lay down with Xenon between him and Ginny.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Minerva stood staring at Hogwarts. They had reached the place that Bane told them they must reach to be safe. They were now near the top of the highest mountain overlooking Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. They had covered almost ten miles that day through thick forest and dense underbrush. The only casualty had been Hagrid. She held out hope that he would appear to them tonight unscathed, but doubted that would happen. He was probably already dead. Killed by the Acromantulas that had bred in the forest because he had released one into the forest decades ago.

“I have never seen the castle glow like that before,” said Firenze.

“Nor have I,” she said. “I wonder what Albus is doing to cause that glow.”

“I don’t know Minerva,” said Pomona Sprout. She had walked up to them standing on the mountain top. “The children are all resting. They have been fed and some are even trying to take a kip. I don’t know how successful they will be considering the time.”

Minerva looked at her watch. “Yes, dawn will break in only a few hours.”

The three of them stopped talking. She glanced to the left and right and noticed both Firenze and Pomona were staring at the castle. It was nearly pulsing with magic. She had remembered her first boat ride to Hogwarts, how at that time she thought the castle seemed to glow. Now it is like a lighthouse in the dark. She was worried that Muggles would see it in the night. The clouds were gathering and covering over the stars. The castle’s blue-white glow was reflecting off them.

“We shall be going our separate ways in the morning, Professors,” said Firenze blandly. “We need to travel to the east and south. There is a place that has a magically protected forest. It isn’t as large as the dark forest of Hogwarts, but we will be protected there.”

“Are you going to Bowtruckle Estates?” asked Percy Weasley.

Minerva jumped at the sound of his voice. “Mr. Weasley, why are you sneaking up on people like that?”

“Professor, you told me to report when the students are in bed.”

Pomona was sniggering at her reaction to Percy suddenly speaking to her. “Since you are here, I can assume all the children are in their bedrolls.”

“All except my brothers and I. We are watching the perimeter of the camp. We received extra training this past year, so we are probably the best spell casters with the exception of you Professors.”

Minerva stared at him. “I admire your courage, Percy, but the Weasleys need to sleep too. We have the centaurs to watch over us until morning.”

“If it is all right with you, Professor,” said Percy. He swallowed thickly. “None of us can sleep right now. I will try my best to make it through the day. Fred and George said they are used to being up all night and staying up all day.”

Minerva wanted to snigger at the last comment. She was sure that the twins had spent many a night up wandering the castle and then go to classes all day. She didn’t want Percy to think she wasn’t sensitive to their loss. They have lost a sister, a brother-in-law, and a niece or a nephew. The very thought of their loss made her eyes get watery.

“There is something very large coming this way,” whispered Firenze.

Minerva turned back to face the forest that grew up the mountain slope to within a hundred yards of them. “Could it be more Acromantulas?” she asked.

“I don’t think so,” said Firenze.

By this time, Minerva could see the brush that covered the ground and the edge of the forest shake and the sound of breaking limbs reached her ears. Whatever was moving was very large, because a couple of smaller trees shook as something brushed against them.

“Could it be a giant?” asked a scared Percy.

“I don’t think so,” she said to him. “Go, quietly waken the children and have Filius come to this side of the camp.”

She could hear him running away. Her focus was on whatever it was coming through the forest. Firenze was clopping his hooves in a rhythm beside her. She wanted to tell him to stop it, but that thing was causing so much noise she doubted that it could hear Firenze.

“What is that thing?” said Pomona. “It almost looks like it is walking on all fours. There aren’t any bears in that forest are there?”

“No, I don’t think that is a bear,” said Firenze. He raised his bow and drew notched an arrow that she had created for the him. Minerva was in the good graces of the centaurs, since she created many top quality arrows from the sticks and branches around them.

Filius ran up between her and Pomona. “What do you think it is?”

The thing broke through the underbrush walking or crawling on all fours. It was Hagrid.

“Wait here. I am going after him,” she said before moving down the side of the mountain as quickly as she could. Several centaurs trotted from behind her and came along beside as she descended. They must have came at the sound of Firenzes rhythmic signal. The path wasn’t very wide and they had to be careful not to slip or slide down the slope.

Hagrid kept struggling to stand up and walk towards her as she descended towards him. He could take a couple of steps upright before falling forward onto his hands. He would continue forward on his hands and knees, while trying to regain his feet. His moleskin jacket was ripped along with his clothes. She could hear him wheezing as she approached him. It seemed that every breath was a struggle for him. In the moonlight, she could tell how badly he was hurt. His hair was even wilder than she had ever seen before. It was sticking out to his left. His beard was in the same state. He looked horrible in the darkness.

“’ello, Perfessor,” Hagrid wheezed out. “I taught dem. I show dem bloody spiders not ta mess wit me.”

“Hagrid you are a mess. Let me look at you,” she said as she cast a Lumos Charm. She almost dropped her wand. What was sticking out at strange angles from his hair and beard wasn’t hair, but Acromantula fangs. His face was swollen up to almost twice its normal size. His hands were also swollen. She saw at least four other sets of fangs sticking from his clothes.

“I’ll be all right, Perfessor,” he said. “I jus’ need ta get some rest dat is all.”

“Let me help you up the mountain, Hagrid. “

She didn’t wait for his response. She cast a Mortis Locomotor Charm on him. Hagrid floated awkwardly as she focused on floating him up the mountain side in front of her. It was taking a great deal of concentration to keep the half-giant afloat. The ascent was slow as she was trying to keep Hagrid from hitting into the side of the mountain. She finally placed him on the exact location where she had been standing. He landed on all fours.

The children had heard about Hagrid returning and were now also crowding the ledge. Pomona, Filius, and Firenze were trying to keep them back. She could hear Pomona tell the children that his clothes were dripping of Acromantula venom. The students became very quiet at that proclamation. As Minerva neared them she could see tears on many of the children’s faces.

Hagrid shifted on the ledge and slipped so that he slid down the mountain side about ten feet. Minerva lifted her wand to lift back up to the ledge. She hesitated though because Hagrid saw Hogwarts.

“Ain’t she a beaut,” he wheezed and pointed at the castle ignoring the fact that he was slowly sliding down the mountain. “Like a shinin’ jewel innna night, ‘at is what dat place is. Best thing to ever ‘appen ta me.”

Minerva stood on the mountain side so she was at Hagrid’s feet. She turned to look at the castle. He was right. Its glow was like a beautiful jewel glistening in the sunlight.

“Hogwarts, hoggy hoggy Hogwarts,” sang Hagrid. His voice was getting fainter with each word.

The students quickly started to sing the school song. She, Pomona, and Filius started singing too. They all sang the song as she watched Hagrid slowly fade away with a smile on his face and a sparkle in his eyes disappearing. The entire scene become blurry as tears filled her eyes. By the time everyone had finished the song, Hagrid was dead with a smile still on his face.

Back to index


Chapter 33: A New Plan

Author's Notes: With the Horcrux eliminated from Harry. His bond is now complete with Ginny. Their conversations between each other in their minds will be in bold print.
Many thanks to my Beta Leif for all his help.


“Mr. Weasley! Mr. Weasley, please wake up,” said a voice from the other side of his bedroom door.

“I am awake,” Arthur responded groggily. He looked at his watch and saw it was only 4:00 AM. He had only been in bed for only an hour. He received a Patronus from Molly shortly after midnight announcing the birth of their grandson and that Harry and Ginny were doing fine.

“Why are you waking me?”

“There is a situation, sir. Mr. Moody wants you down in the map room immediately,” said the voice from the other side of the door.

“Tell him that I will be right down.”

Arthur listened as the messenger’s footsteps faded. He sat up in his bed. He was still in his robes. By the time he had passed along the information that Harry wasn’t dead and he was a grandfather, he didn’t take the time to change out of his day clothes. Standing up he felt his muscles protesting their use. He just hoped whatever the reason it was a good one, because he needed some sleep.

Five minutes later he walked into the map room. There were both Order leaders and the leaders of the royal family’s guards.

“Voldemort has started phase two of his attacks against the Muggles,” Moody said. He looked even more tired than Arthur felt. “There are attacks on the major airports and shipping ports. They aren’t attacking outgoing flights but the incoming.”

“With these attacks against foreign citizens, their governments are stopping all flights and forms of transportation to our island,” said Clyde Ferndock. “I just returned from arranging the morning events. While I was out planes were getting blasted out of the sky. There also several attacks on ships entering our ports. It was actually to our advantage that they attacked at night. Fewer planes in the air. If they had waited until morning, there would have been ten times the planes to shoot down.”

“The Queen can’t go to London under these circumstances,” said Kingsley. “We cannot assure her safety.”

“I understand that,” Hopkins, another security guard, said. “She will go and the only thing that we can hope for is nothing happening to her while she is on the telly.”

Arthur looked up at the map board. There were pieces moving all about the board at seemingly random patterns. “Have they broken the inmates out of Azkaban?”

“We don’t know,” answered Moody. “If not by now, I can only assume that will be on the top of his to-do list tomorrow. This plan is really brilliant, they are moving around hitting random targets. They can cause the most destruction and create the most fear by this method. We might be able to stop one or two attacks, but we would need to be extremely lucky to find them.”

“Has anyone told the Queen?” asked Robards.

“Let her sleep,” said Clyde. “She can’t do anything to stop this. Her position is purely ceremonial. The Prime Minister is the only one to activate troops. She will do her part tomorrow morning to lift the spirits of the British citizens.”

“At this rate, Britain will be isolated by sunrise tomorrow. Hopefully, the Queen can instill enough confidence in our government to stop any widespread panic,” said Hopkins. “This tyrant, Voldemort, is a brilliant man.”

“He knows how to spread fear, if you call that brilliance than he most definitely is brilliant” growled Moody.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort stood at the gates of Hogwarts and stared at the castle. The dew was heavy on the grass. The sun was turning the sky red as it breached the horizon. It was a perfect morning to kill his last worthy opponent. The castle seemed to be glowing in the morning light. It must sense its new master at its doorstep.

He should be walking through the halls again. This was going to be his permanent home. It was the first place he had called home or wanted to stay forever. He was going to move the Ministry or his government here after the Order of Phoenix was crushed. The failures of Lucius Malfoy prevented him from obtaining his prize at the proper time.

It was simple task. Come to the castle while Dumbledore was reeling from the loss of Harry Potter and kill him. Lucius should have used the children to catch Dumbledore off guard. He even told Lucius that, but he failed to execute the plan. He allowed the Muggle children to escape, and Dumbledore enough time to reinforce the wards.

He had never felt such strong wards before around the grounds. The wards in the past were deterrents that would warn the Headmaster if someone was entering the grounds. They were placed there to give the Headmasters time to set up other defenses. The wards that are in front of him are much stronger.

“The old fool thinks he can stop us with wards around the castle,” he said rhetorically. Luckily for the people around him, no one responded to the question.

He moved his wand in a large arc while casting a Marking Charm. A blue line appeared on the wards directly in front of him. “I want all of you to cast a Bombardia Charm along the blue line. I don’t care who cast it where, just make it evenly spaced and keep casting it, until I destroy the wards.”

He watched each of his followers cast the Charm. They ensured that the spells collided with the ward evenly. The final person to cast their Bombardia was Bellatrix. The ward was unstable now. With his brilliance and magical knowledge, he could sense the ward shaking and all it needed was one final spell to make it crumble.

“Bombardia,” he shouted. The instant his spell hit the ward. It fell. It wasn’t a quiet destruction of a ward, in fact the concussion of the ward exploding knocked him back a few steps. There was nothing between him and his rightful home now, except a tired old man.

He stood there for several seconds staring at the open path to what should be his ancestral home. The great Salazar Slytherin should have taken control of the school. It was his right as the greatest if the Hogwarts four. If it wasn’t for those three traitorous friends of Salazar, he would have been raised here rather than in a Muggle Orphanage. It was time to reclaim what should have been his home.

“It is time to kill us a Muggle-lover,” He said to his subjects. With a wave of his wand the metal gates flung open granting him access to the Grounds of Hogwarts. “Everyone follow me.”

“Master, the children too?” asked Lucius.

He looked at the failure of a Death Eater. He saw a weak person and a weaker follower of the Dark Arts. “Not all of the children, Lucius, just your son Draco. We have waited long enough.”

Voldemort started walking through the gates of Hogwarts. The sound of birds and animals running out of the forest and towards Hogsmeade was alarming. He had never heard animals like this running from the forest. The first indication that something was amiss was when all the sounds created by the animals seemed to stop for barely a second. Then he saw it a split second before he felt it.

The castle seemed to surge with tremendous magical power. Its glow increased to make it brighter than the sun. The sunlight should have overpowered the magical glow. Then every stone, window, door, and shingle on the roof, exploded out with tremendous force. Voldemort was blasted back through the gate and landed hard on his back. Debris landed all around them, even though they were nearly a half mile away.

Standing up, he saw the destruction caused by Dumbledore. His rightful home was destroyed. Without a doubt, Dumbledore was dead. No person could survive a blast like that. His plans had been further delayed. He will rebuild the castle, but it may take years to accomplish. This was all Lucius’s fault.

“Crucio,” he hissed, as he pointed his wand at Lucius. “Your incompetence caused this.”

He poured more pain into the Curse as he heard Lucius’s screams of agony. Lucius deserved to suffer before dying.

“Please stop,” wailed a small voice.

“Silence Draco,” hissed Bellatrix.

Voldemort kept his wand trained of Lucius, but had to lessen the intensity of the curse so he could hear over Lucius’s screams. He was staring at the young wizard with tears running down his face. “Why should I stop? He failed me. I reward those who do well and punish those who fail.”

“He helped to bring you back,” Draco wailed.

Voldemort seethed that the boy would remind him of a time when he couldn’t control his destiny.

“Avada Kedavra,” he shouted. He smiled as the green light hit Lucius and drove him onto the ground. “There I showed more mercy than he deserved.”

Young Malfoy never heard any words he said, because the spoiled brat was wailing over the death of his father.

“I am returning to the Ministry,” calmly announced Voldemort. “Search the castle and bring everything of significance to me. Draco, you are to come with your Aunt Bella and me.”

“But my father’s body,” cried Draco. His voice was a high pitched whimper.

“Master, my sister would want to bury her husband in his family plot,” Bellatrix said with her eyes downcast.

“Very well, Bella take Draco and Lucius’ body back to his wife. Return to me with Draco as soon as possible,” he said. “I want all the children that are of school age at the Ministry. Bella and I will personally start their training. Too long has Dumbledore and the Professors at Hogwarts allowed these children to become soft and useless. If we are going to rule the world we will need strong and ruthless wizards and witches.”

Voldemort stared at the smoldering ruins of Hogwarts castle. It bothered him that Dumbledore had known that he was coming to take it over. It was as if there was a spy in his ranks informing the Order of his every move. He will need to make some inquiries and find the spy. With a loud pop, he Apparated back to the Ministry.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Minerva McGonagall was tired but she would get no rest today. She wanted to lie down and get a couple of hours of sleep, but Hagrid had arrived. She had taken it upon herself to bury him and give as proper of a service as one could in a forest while on the run. They had just completed the service where many took time to say a few things about the lovable half-giant. The sun was now rising above the horizon, and they will need to start their journey to Potter Manor on the other side of Scotland.

“Professor, what are those?” asked Susan Bones. She was pointing at something over the forbidden forest.

She turned to see what the girl was pointing at in that location.

“Those are Threstrals, Susan,” said the dreamy voice of Luna Lovegood. “They have been there the entire time we have been walking through the forest.”

“Then why didn’t I see them before,” snapped Susan with a waspish tone.

“Because you never saw anyone die before Hagrid,” said Luna. “I was there when my Mummy blew herself up experimenting with Potions.”

Minerva stared at the Thestrals. She too had been able to see them. There had been incidents during the first war, where she saw people killed by Death Eaters. She never thought that someone as young as Luna would be able to see Thestrals.

“It looks as if they are trying to leave Hogwarts, too,” Luna said. “Maybe we should help them.”

“Let us hope they will be safe,” Minerva said the Luna. “We don’t have time to backtrack…,”

Minerva stopped because there was a loud boom. The ward protecting Hogwarts seemingly exploded. She didn’t know that was possible, but the Thestrals were now flying away from the forest and it appeared as if they were flying the same direction that she was planning to take the children. Many non-magical birds seemed to join them and the forest seemed to be clearing of wildlife.

Minerva was about to gather up the children and start off when another explosion rent the morning.

She turned to see the former castle fill the morning with dust and debris. There were pieces of stone flying straight up in the air while the majority was scattering across the lawn. She was hoping for some sort of a sign that the school could still be intact through the dust and flying debris. That wish was quickly dashed as the gentle morning breeze pushed the cloud of stone dust away from where the castle used to stand.

Hogwarts had been reduced to rubble scattered across its lawn.

“Thank goodness that happened,” said Bane. His voice was always abrasive, but it now sounded like he enjoyed the sight of the castle being destroyed.

“Why did you say that,” Minerva shouted at him. She just watched one of the most important magical buildings explode into a massive pile of stone. She was not in the mood for a cheeky and irate centaur to say derisive things about sorcerers.

“If the Dark Lord had taken over the castle, he would not have been able to be defeated. There is still hope,” Bane said icily. “Our world is changing, both yours and mine. We must leave our past behind and move forward or fall under the Dark Lord’s reign.

“I bid you well on your journey, Professor. We must leave for a different location. The Thestrals have shown us the direction.”

Bane turned and left without anything else being said. The centaurs were ready to leave. She didn’t know when they had time to get organized for the trip, but they were all walking away. She looked up and the Thestrals were flying more towards the south now; the same direction that the centaurs were walking.

She finally realized that many of the students were standing around her. They had to have heard what Bane said. Many of them had tears in their eyes.

“I never thought I would see the day that Hogwarts would be destroyed,” she said to them. “I am sure the Headmaster had good reason to destroy it. I think the centaurs are correct. We must look forward to how we are going to defeat Voldemort not back at our past. I know we are all tired from the night we had, but we must start our journey. We have a long distance to travel, and we really don’t know what we will be encountering along our way. Let us begin.”

“Which way, Professor?” asked Penelope Clearwater.

Minerva was actually stumped. She knew that Potter Manor was on the Eastern side of Scotland, but she didn’t know where.

“Professor, I think we should travel due East,” said Percy. “If my calculations are correct we should be traveling slightly south of the rising sun. It is late June, and the sun is actually rising slightly north of true due east because of our present latitude.”

Filius held his wand on his flat hand and cast a Charm. His wand pointed a direction. “That is north,” he announced. “So the direction Mr. Weasley indicated was due east,” he said. “Our Head Boy has done well in astronomy classes. Five points to….” Filius stopped talking.

There were no more houses to award points. It was obvious that Filius was as upset about the destruction of their school as she was.

“Mr. Weasley, you may lead us,” she said to the Head Boy. In years past, he would have taken a superior attitude about leading the column of students. He just look resigned and quietly started walking. All the students picked up their meager supplies and followed.

Before she started walking, she sent off a Patronus to Arthur Weasley. She wanted to keep him appraised of their situation and location.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Vernon Dursley peered out of the kitchen window looking at the sky. He had been walking around his house looking out each window for the past hour in case his freaky nephew would attack. He was ready for them. He bought a hunting gun yesterday.

He paid an exorbitant amount for this shotgun and the ammunition. There were only a few guns left on the shelf and the store had sold out most of its inventory in the few hours since the cowardly attack in London. There were five others wanting hunting guns and only four guns left to sell. He paid three times the normal price to get the gun without a background check, but he was ready for when those freaks attack.

“Vernon, would you please stop looking out the windows and put that gun away. You are scaring poor little Dudders.”

Vernon snorted through his mustache. His son scared of the gun. He wanted to shoot it as soon as he saw it last night. Besides, Dudley was still upstairs in bed.

“Be quiet and turn on the telly, the morning news should be on shortly. We don’t want to miss anything. The entire country could be overrun with freaks and we won’t know it.”

“Could you at least take off that ridiculous hat,” Petunia said waspishly at him.

Vernon wore a 1920 vintage combat helmet. It may be a bit rusty and the chin strap a little moldy but it was his only protection against the freaks and their magical sticks.

He looked out the front window at the nearly empty street. It was thirty past six, so the people would not be leaving for work just yet.

“…I must implore all the citizens of Britain to not panic. Our country has faced greater destruction of our lands in the past and came out victorious.” The Queen spoke on the telly.

Vernon shuffled around the telly so he could see the Queen. She was standing there in front of the still smoldering Parliament building. She was dressed smartly for such a location with a blue dress and blazer, white blouse and a red hat. She had a determined look on her face as she spoke about living through the bombing by the Nazis.

“We will win this war if we stick together as a nation. We must watch out for our neighbors. I do not say this to cause you to fear your neighbor or fellow citizen, but to help protect them. The threat we are now facing are living among us. They may attack at any time. If you hear something strange in your neighborhood, call the authorities for help. Do not attempt to attack these foes. They are dangerous and would not hesitate to harm you. Let the proper authorities handle the situation.

“When I woke this morning, I discovered that we were cut off from many of our allies because of the dangers within our own land. We will fight this evil within our glorious land. We have always been an isolated nation of islands. Being cut off from other nations will not cause us to fall. We will succeed in driving this evil off out of our land. We will be victorious.”

Vernon was so overcome with emotion at the Queens speech that he stood at attention and saluted her while slamming the shotgun down beside him. When the butt of the gun hit the floor, it accidently discharged blasting both barrels of shot into the ceiling of his sitting room ceiling and nearly making him deaf.

“Vernon,” screeched Petunia. “Dudders is upstairs.”

He watched as she ran up the stairs. He was too much in shock from the sound of the blast. His ears were ringing and the plaster dust from the ceiling had covered his left side. He went to ask if Dudley was all right, when he realized that he hadn’t shot into Dudley’s room. The water started as a small drip that became a steady stream of water and within seconds pouring down onto him.

“Vernon call the plumber,” shouted Petunia from the upstairs. “You blew up our vanity and sink.”

Vernon looked up at the water pouring from the ceiling. “Thank goodness it was the bathroom sink and not the toilet.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry had a funny feeling in his chest. It was a tickling feeling. He turned his head and looked down at his chest to see his son breast feeding and his long red hair laying along his arm by Xenon’s little head. They were in a room with white marble walls and table. On the table were rolls of parchment covered with strange writing.

Harry sat up in his bed and looked around. What just happened to him? He never had such a vivid connection with Ginny before. He took in his surroundings. It was morning, and people were up and moving around. He saw the expectant faces of Sirius and Remus staring at him.

“Where’s Ginny and Xenon?”

“Egypt,” replied Remus. “Bill and Molly went with them. Don’t worry Poppy protested her going anywhere, but Ginny seems to be fully healed. Poppy checked her.”

“Why…?” Harry started talking but Remus cut him off.

“Your wife insisted that you rest a little longer. I think she cast some spell on you before she got up. She laid her hand on your forehead and said that you needed your rest since ‘dying is very taxing to the system’.”

Harry stood up and saw nearly every eye in the ward on him. “What time is it? Never mind, I am going to Egypt.”

He never took a step before Sirius grabbed him and wrapped him in a fierce bone-crushing hug. Harry was caught off guard by Sirius’s sudden show of affection. Soon though, Sirius started crying on Harry’s shoulder.

“I thought I had failed you like I had failed your parents,” Sirius said through his tears.

Harry was quite touched by Sirius intense emotions. This was not some big show to let everyone know he was upset. There were true emotions spilling out of Sirius right now. Even after having Ginny in his life, he was still a bit put off by any overly emotional people. She had strong emotions, but he was comfortable with her displays except when her anger was directed at him. This was something unusual from Sirius and Harry wasn’t sure what to do to comfort him. Then he remembered something, he would need to be careful how loud he said it.

“You didn’t fail my parents, you mangy mutt,” Harry said jokingly.

Sirius looked up at him surprised. “Lily used to call me that.”

“Come to Egypt with me,” he said to Sirius and Remus.

“We were not going to allow you to go there alone,” Sirius said harshly.

They all left without saying another word. The trio remained silent as they walked through the main house down to the transportation vault. As soon as the doors shut them inside of the vault, Harry turned to them.

“The Horcrux is gone. I remember getting hit with the curse,” Harry said to them calmly. “I could feel the curse rushing through my body, when it hit my brain strange things started to happen.

“I found myself in this place. It didn’t seem to have any walls, floors, or ceilings. The only distinct feature was a doorway at one end of this place. The doorway had a curtain over the opening and the light on the other side was showing through the gaps around the curtain.

“I could hear Mum and Dad whispering to me from the other side of the curtain.” He stopped talking and looked at Sirius and to gauge his and Remus’ reaction.

“All around us…,” Harry started to say more but was cut off.

“Us?” asked Remus.

“Voldemort’s fractured soul and me,” He responded. “There were these splotches of dark and white. They seemed to float and swirl around the entire area. I could hear Ginny calling to me, but I couldn’t see her. I hesitated going to the light filled archway because I wanted to see Ginny again.

“The fractured piece of soul didn’t hesitate. It started towards the doorway. It was a hideous thing to look at. Its back was bent and its arms and legs seemed to be too long and were twisted. It got close to the archway, but a dark and scaly arm came out of one of the dark splotches. Its nails looked like talons. It grabbed Voldemort’s soul splinter and sank its talons deep into its chest and abdomen. The soul splinter screamed for a second before the arm pulled it into the dark spot.

“After that happened all the dark spots disappeared. There was only the doorway and Ginny’s voice left in this place. I wanted to walk through the doorway. It felt like the right thing to do, but I also wanted to go back to Ginny. I wasn’t sure what to do. That was when I heard Mum’s voice from the other side of the doorway ‘Do what your heart tells you to do’ she told me. Dad said that he was proud of me for everything that I have done. I told him that I hadn’t accomplished anything so far.”

Harry stopped talking and looked at Remus and Sirius. They were standing there staring at him with their mouths open.

“He said I married a redhead and that was something. Mum yelled at him, but I didn’t hear exactly what she said. At the mention of Ginny, I could hear her voice even louder and I desperately wanted to come back to her and our child. Mum told me to go back to her and then told me to tell that you never failed them.

“I turned away from the door and started searching for a way to get back to Ginny. I could hear her but I couldn’t locate a way to find her or to get to her. As soon as I started to look for her, the doorway disappeared. I was getting scared that I would never find my way back. I started hearing this strange voice speaking or chanting in a language that I didn’t know. Suddenly, I was lying on the floor of the infirmary with Ginny on top of me.”

Harry once again stopped talking to hear what they had to say, but both of them were silent. Remus had a look on his face like he was analyzing everything he had just heard. Sirius though was standing there with tears welling up in his eyes.

“Did Ginny say this morning how she was able to bring me back?”

“She just woke up and said she needed to go to the Atlantean’s library,” said Remus. “I think she cast the Spell on you to protect you from Molly’s yelling. Sometimes I think that woman has a permanent Sonorus Charm cast on her. Anyway, Poppy checked Ginny and your child over before declaring them perfectly fit to travel. Molly demanded to go with Ginny and told Bill he also had to go. They only left about an hour before you woke up.”

“Potter Manor, Egypt,” Harry said to the vault. There was a slight shudder indicating they had arrived. “Is there anything else that needs to remain a secret before I go to Ginny?”

“No go see your wife and son,” said Sirius. He had a happy look on his face like he rarely ever had.

The door opened to reveal the Spectral High Priest. “The goblins have requested your presence and guidance in a situation, Master Potter.”

“I don’t have time. I want to see Ginny,” Harry told the High Priest as he walked past him.

“They are waiting outside of the Atlantean’s library. They wanted to talk to your wife, but they could not break through the wards.”

Harry missed a step at the High Priest’s statement. How was Ginny able to get through the wards? How will he get through them?

“Just walk through, silly,” she said in his head. “They will allow soul bonded people through, but block all others.”

“I will not get used to you speaking to me like this,” he said in his mind while thinking about his wife.

“It is a bit strange.”

“Finding out you are super wealthy is a bit strange. Communicating with someone through you mind is beyond strange.”

He could hear her giggle at his comment which brought a smile to his face. The smile quickly disappeared when he reached the top of the stairs. There was Molly and Bill standing with three goblins and another wizard. The other wizard was obviously a prisoner. He was in chains and kneeling with his head bowed. Harry couldn’t see his face, but he knew it wasn’t Severus Snape.

“Rodolphus Lestrange,” said Sirius, who immediately pulled his wand. The goblins all reacted to this act with raised battle axes.

“Lower the wand Sirius,” whispered Harry. “You can’t do magic at this location.”

Sirius grudgingly complied.

“Master Potter,” said the Goblin who looked as if he was in charge. “This wizard came onto our property with nine others. They all tried to curse us, but their magic didn’t work. This one was the only one to drop his wand. So we spared his life for now. Since you are the master of this land, it is your decision on what shall be done with him.”

“I say have him beheaded, Harry,” said Sirius. “He was one of the ones that tortured Frank and Alice Longbottom.”

“I know Sirius,” Harry replied. He was perplexed on what to do. It seemed too much like murder to have him killed, but he was also a liability and possible formidable foe if he would get loose. “Why did you drop your wand, Rodolphus Lestrange?”

The Death Eater glared at him with hate filled eyes. “I could tell it was a trap. My wand wasn’t working right. Is that what you had planned for Severus?”

“Where is Severus?”

“Dead, the Dark Lord killed him. Said he had no need of his services anymore.”

Rodolphus sneered at Harry. It was obvious that this foul man thought that it was amusing to see Severus killed. Yet, Harry couldn’t bring himself to have him executed. “Take him somewhere and lock him up. He cannot escape.”

The lead goblin looked disappointed. “Should we feed him?”

The simple question was rather amusing to Harry. “Keep him alive.” His simple three word response was met with an evil smile from the head goblin.

The other two goblin guards hit Rodolphus with the butt of their spears. Rodolphus started to swear at the goblins, before he turned onto Harry. “It will only be a matter of time before the Dark Lord comes after me. When he comes here, he will kill you. He will kill all of you,” he shouted as the goblins dragged him away by the chains that tied his manacles, handcuffs and the steel collar around his neck together.

Harry watched as they dragged him away. “He has already tried it twice,” he said barely above a whisper. Everyone around him sniggered at the comment. “Molly, Bill, I don’t mean to be rude, but I want to see my wife and child.” He walked past them and straight through the magical barrier.

The other side of the barrier had a totally different feel to it. It felt brighter and airy in the library. He looked around for the torches that illuminated the library, but he couldn’t see any.

“The marble is infused with magic from Atlantis,” said Ginny without looking at him. She was still feeding Xenon. “The light is emitted from the marble.”

Harry walked up behind her and looked over her shoulder to see the face of their child contentedly nursing. It was a sight that brought tears to his eyes. He kissed his wife on the top of her head. As he stood there taking in the sight, Xenon stopped nursing and fell asleep. Ginny lifted him up and handed him to Harry.

“Here, you need to learn how to gas him,” she said with a smirk. She draped a flannel over Harry’s left shoulder. “Lay him so his head is on the flannel and gently rub and pat his back until he gasses or spits up.”

Harry looked at her with wide eyes. She started giggling at his reaction.

“Relax that is why the flannel is there, besides we can just Banish anything that runs off the flannel and down your back.” Harry started patting his son on the back. “The first thing that you are probably wondering about is all this and why the Atlantean left to help us. He came here over three thousand years ago because of a prophecy….”

Ginny told him about the life of Xenon and how he was able to pass the information along to her through a magical healing bond. He had been waiting for them, and recognized them because of their soul bond. The elf had sacrificed his life so Harry and Ginny could live and continue the fight against Voldemort. While he was listening to Ginny, he had gassed his son and was now holding a sleeping baby. What started out as seeming so strange fifteen minutes ago was now a natural act.

Ginny picked up a silver tube and plunged a spoon into it and pulled out a spoonful of something that looked like extra thick honey colored gelatin. Without saying anything, she gently shoved the spoon into his mouth. He was going to protest until the flavors erupted in his mouth. It tasted like everything he ever liked, everything from fresh baked bread, treacle tart, and roast beef.

“Ambrosia, the nectar of the gods, is what the Greeks called it,” Ginny said with a smile. “It was what all the Atlanteans ate. One spoonful is enough for a meal, unless you are a Weasley, then you need two.”

Harry swallowed the strange food and started to laugh. “Ron would need three.”

They both laughed at his comment. Ginny closed the tube. She looked at him with a very serious expression.

“I think this library holds the secret to destroying Voldemort. I have been glancing over some of these scrolls that Xenon compiled while he was here. They had control over magic that our society does not understand. It seems that if we had already started our training with a wand when we met, the soul bond wouldn’t have worked.”

“I am glad we did meet, when we did,” he said.

Ginny became watery eyed before stepping to him and softly kissing him. The three of them stood there holding onto each other for several minutes. Harry was tearing up too. He didn’t want to leave here. Here they were all safe. The outside world need them. Then something occurred to him. “How can you read these scrolls? They are not in English.”

“I received much of Xenon’s knowledge through the bond. I was able to heal myself after delivering our Xenon with some of the knowledge that I received from him. I can also now read his native language. Harry there are tens of thousands of years of knowledge in this library. This is an entirely different way of using magic. I could spend the rest of my life in here researching and reading.”

“We have a Dark Lord to defeat and then a family to raise. Sorry dear you can’t hide in here,” he said to her.

“I figured you could take care of those things by yourself.”

Harry was shocked that she thought that way, until she smiled. “You are just winding me up?”

“Of course I am,” she said with a huge smile on her face. “I guess we should go out. Mum seemed rather put out about being left outside, and she hasn’t held her grandchild nearly enough.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur Weasley was sitting in the map room watching individual markers flying around the map. He had noticed that Lucius Malfoy’s indicator had fallen off the board indicating that he was dead. Arthur hardly felt pity for the pompous arse. He couldn’t feel pity for any of the Death Eaters who died in this war. They were monsters obeying an even larger monster. The death and destruction they were causing now was tremendous. Between the attack on Parliament and the attacks on the aeroplanes and shipping ports there have been a reported one thousand dead and another five hundred injured.

There had been a Patronus from Minerva earlier today. All his children along with the high risk children from Hogwarts were safe. Hagrid had died defending the children from Acromantulas. The worst news was that Hogwarts had been destroyed. She assumed it was Albus that had done it to prevent Voldemort making it a home base.

Guilt washed over him as he thought about how fortunate he was that his entire family was safe. A thousand people died today and that didn’t include members of magical society. He knew the death toll wouldn’t be that high, but it was still significant.

“Has there been any more news about attacks on Muggles?” Kinglsey Shacklebolt asked. He had just awakened because he had been up all night and well into the morning guarding the Queen as she walked amongst the attack zones.

“They seem to be content watching the airports and the seaports,” said Alastor. “This is just a guess, but I think he will be content for the next couple of days, as he reorganizes our government.”

“There were some of his followers that we had traced up North for several hours,” Arthur said. “We can only assume that he has emptied Azkaban.”

Kingsley whistled at the news before taking a long sip of tea. “I counted close to a hundred prisoners that were possible followers of his. We are definitely outnumbered. I hope Harry can come up with a good plan, when he returns.”

Arthur wasn’t sure if Kingsley was challenging Harry’s abilities with that statement, but he wasn’t going to let that out there. “Harry always consults everyone involved before making a final decision. It will be up to all of us to devise a plan of attack.”

Kingsley nodded his head in agreement as he went back to his tea. Arthur knew there were more complications than the newly released prisoners, but he couldn’t say anything.

“The master and mistress has returned," shouted one of the House Elves as it ran into the map room. The House Elves were rushing around to make sure everyone was ready. People started looking outside, but Arthur knew better.

“They will be coming from over there,” he said pointing to an area by the fireplace. He ignored everyone’s questioning looks as he wanted to meet his grandson. He had just made it to the hidden door when it opened. Harry opened the door for Ginny and his grandson.

“Here is your first grandson.” Ginny beamed with happiness as she handed the swaddled baby to him.

“Isn’t he precious, Arthur,” gushed Molly as she ran to hug her husband. Arthur held his grandson with both arms as Molly hugged him. The only thing he could see was a little pink nose and cheeks sticking out through the cloth. Arthur could barely hear the commotion that Harry’s appearance was creating in the house. He was focused on this little life he held in his arms. He looked up to see Ginny smiling at him. “I think I will just find a quiet place to rock him for a bit. Has he eaten lately?”

“About ten minutes ago, he should be good for another hour or two, Dad. I will come with you.”

“Me too,” demanded Molly. “I have barely had a chance to hold him.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Pain, confusion, and darkness filled her very presence. The side of her face felt like a ruin. She tried to move her arms, but they didn’t seem to be working properly. The pain she was feeling was a different type of a pain. It wasn’t from a curse, but more from an injury. Her left arm finally started to move and she reached up to feel her face.

There were bandages wrapped around her head and the right side of her face. Her right eye was covered over, but she should be able to see out of her left eye. As she was gathering her senses, she noticed something else. It was extremely windy wherever she was.

Groping around she tried to find her wand. She didn’t expect to find it. It was obvious she was in some type of a prison cell. They wouldn’t have allowed her to have her wand.

“Madam Bones is that you?” whispered a sweet voiced girl.

“Yes, it is,” she said with a raspy voice. Her throat was very dry and the bandages made it difficult to move her jaw. “Where are we?”

“Please keep your voice down,” she whispered again. A dim light from the girl’s wand filled the area around them. “My name is Abigail Swanson. We are hiding in the Ministry’s ventilation system. No one knows we are here, but we must whisper or they will hear us.”

“Where is my wand?” Amelia demanded. She didn’t trust this girl. She won’t trust anyone until she could hold her wand again.

“Here it is,” said Abigail, as she handed the wand to her.

Amelia went to grab it, but discovered that her right hand was completely wrapped in bandages. She grabbed the wand in her left hand. It felt a little strange, but she could tell that it was her wand.

“How did I get here and what is going on with the battle?”

“We were able to drag you into here before collapsing the walls and ceiling in the Transportation Room. No one knows we are here. I am only here because I am Muggle born. Voldemort has taken over the Ministry after he killed Harry Potter. You have been unconscious for thirty-six hours.”

Amelia was having a hard time understanding everything. It must have been from her injuries. “Who else survived the battle? Are you the only one left that was fighting with me? What ventilation system in the Ministry?”

Abigail smiled at her. “The entire Ministry building has this massive channel running through it. Hardly anyone knows about it outside of the maintenance workers, and only about half of them even knows how to get into it.

“There were only four that survived from the fighting in the Transportation Department. Gregory Bright dragged you out of the Department before we collapsed the ceiling and walls. Everything in the magical transportation room was destroyed.

“All of the other maintenance workers are being forced to rebuild the Ministry according to his demands. They are being worked night and day to clean up and rebuild the Ministry. The Death Eaters don’t suspect us as long as we do their bidding.

“I am here because many of the Ministry employees know I am Muggle born. I have also been trained in first aid. I tried to fix you up the best I could, but I am afraid you will have some nasty scars.”

“I have more important things to think about than my appearance,” Amelia said. She needed to figure out how to contact the Order and even who was left to contact.

Back to index


Chapter 34: Fighting amongst Allies

Author's Notes: Get enough people together during difficult times; tempers will flare up.
Many thanks to Leif for quickly betaing this chapter so quickly.


Harry sat and listened to the updates from everyone. Voldemort had been busy over the past twenty-four hours. It bothered him that so many Muggles had perished in the attacks. He could tell the Muggle authorities around the table were rather irritated that the magical people were not making any plans to stop Voldemort.

“There is nothing we can do at the moment,” said Arthur. “He is surrounded by protectors and hidden in our Ministry or some other location. If you go out and start attacking places randomly than he will lead us into a trap. We must move cautiously.”

“He is killing our people without hesitation and you expect me to sit by and do nothing,” screamed Hopkins. “You tell us what building this bloody Ministry is in and we will make a crater and dust. That will stop this maniac.” Hopkins was now standing up and pounding his fist on the table.

Harry was becoming increasingly irritated at this Hopkins. It was understandable that he was upset that people he may know were in danger, but to suggest what he was saying was completely mental.

“Are you bloody mental,” said Kingsley Shacklebolt putting a voice to Harry’s thoughts. “The Ministry sits in the middle of London. To destroy that building you would kill thousands.”

“We will block off the streets,” shouted Hopkins. “Evacuate the area. It can be done. We have the technology to destroy a single building while leaving the ones all around it standing. Give me the address and within an hour it will be gone.”

“It won’t work,” said Alastor. “I could give you the address and you would never be able to find it. It has Muggle Repelling Charms on it.”

“It must have a street address,” shouted Hopkins. “Give me the address and I will show what can be done.”

“That would be an extremely bad move for the future,” said Remus calmly. “You won’t be able to destroy Voldemort and it will push even more wizards and witches around the world to his beliefs. This mistrust and hatred of Muggles is ancient from a time when witches and wizards were put to death. You destroy the Ministry and anyone who was not inclined to follow him will become a staunch supporter.

“The only thing we can do at the present time is capture his followers and frustrate him,” said Kingsley. “Hopefully, he will make a mistake and we can use it to stop him.”

“All the while he and your kind will be killing my friends and you expect me to do nothing,” Hopkins said. He was now standing up and pacing back and forth.

“We are trying to formulate a plan that can save everyone,” Harry finally said. “The thing you need to understand is that you cannot kill him. It is impossible.”

“Hah, stop this..,” Hopkins had reached for his gun. His hand was wrapped around the handle of the gun and it was partially pulled from its holster, but Hopkins had stopped there. It was obvious to Harry that he was petrified by a spell. He had seen a slight flash as Hopkins froze. Hopkins’s eyes were moving around frantically and yet he stood there motionless.

“Good spell work Harry, you didn’t even use a wand,” said Arthur, who had his wand halfway drawn.

“I didn’t cast the Charm. Did any of you?” Harry asked the sorcerers around the table. They all looked at each other. “If none of you did, then who cast it?”

“I think it was the house,” said Ginny. “He was going to shoot you. That would be a violation of the promise ‘to not harm a Potter’.”

Clyde was looking at his fellow security guard. “Can you reverse it?”

“I have no idea, maybe if I tried Finite Incantatum,” Harry said. He noticed that Hopkins seemed to flinch slightly before becoming frozen again.

“He was going to harm you, Harry. I say leave him frozen there the rest of the war,” she said to him through his thoughts.

Harry smiled at Ginny’s comment. It was obvious that Hopkins had lost control of his emotions. He must have thought that he was faster than magic. The problem is that the other security guards were getting irritated that their fellow guard was now frozen in place. There were more guards calling for freeing Hopkins from the spell. Moody had no sympathy for the irrational git.

“Let him stand there,” shouted Moody. “He was going to pull his gun to harm Harry. He swore an oath not to try to harm Harry and his friends and family. We don’t need traitors like him.”

“Hopkins wasn’t a traitor,” shouted a large ruddy looking guard. He was so large that he probably didn’t need a gun. “Our fellow Brits are dying out there and you expect us to just laugh it off.”

“You blokes have no clue what you are facing,” shouted Moody right back.

“We killed several of your invincible magical folks. We can easily kill some more,” the ruddy guard shouted back.

“You caught Voldemort’s followers by surprise. You won’t do that again. He is far too smart to make the same mistake twice.”

“I don’t believe you,” shouted the ruddy guard. The other guards were now standing up and all calling the ruddy guard, Mike, and telling him how right he was.

“What is going on here,” said a soft voice. It cut through the mayhem and all the Muggle guards stopped shouting and they all stood at attention. The Queen walked into the map room. She moved slowly as she looked around. Her eyes finally fell upon Hopkins.

“What is wrong with Hopkins?”

“He tried pull a gun on Harry, and the Charms on the House froze him in place,” Arthur said calmly.

“Can you defrost him?” The Queen was standing right in front of the statue staring at Hopkins. She touched him with her index finger. “He is still warm.”

“He is petrified, your Highness,” Harry said, as he bowed his head to the Queen. He had seen pictures of her and also the occasional glance on the telly. He never imagined that she would be standing in front of him.

She turned from the Petrified Hopkins to stare at him. Ginny was still sitting there staring at the Queen. He tugged at Ginny’s sleeve, but Ginny didn’t bow to the Queen.

“Pardon my rudeness, but who are you two?” the Queen asked.

“I am Ginny Potter and this is my husband, Harry,” Ginny said casually and she stood and extended her hand to the Queen.

To Harry and everyone else’s shock the Queen shook Ginny’s hand. “Pleased to meet you, but I must say I was expecting you to be older. You may rise Harry Potter. Why did you bow to me? I was told that your society doesn’t recognize my status.”

Harry stood up. His face must have been a bright red, because it felt warm. “I was raised in my Aunt’s house. They are Mu- nonmagical.”

“Your relatives are Muggles?” the Queen asked with apparent surprise.

Harry was shocked that she knew what a Muggle was.

“I have learned a great deal about your society from Mr. Weasley.” She nodded towards Arthur. “Now that you are here, I would like to ask two favors from you. First is to restore Hopkins. I know he has a hothead at times, but I feel much safer with him around me. He is extremely loyal to a fault.”

She sat down across from Harry and stared at him.

“I didn’t Petrify him. The blood wards did, when he tried to pull the gun on me. As long as he intends me harm, he will remain Petrified.”

The Queen raised an eyebrow at him. “Interesting, if I were to command him to not harm you and adhere to the oath we had to swear could you unfreeze him?”

Harry wasn’t sure. That sounded almost too simple. “I could try?”

“Very well,” She turned on the chair that she was sitting in and stared at Hopkins. “I command you as your regent to not intend harm to Harry Potter or any of his family and friends. Hopkins, if you want to be unfrozen, you need to obey.”

Harry stared at the Petrified guard. “Finite Incantatum.” Hopkins almost fell as the spell released him. He caught himself before he fell to the floor.

“Thank you, Mr. Potter. Now the second thing won’t be so easy,” said the Queen. “How can we capture this Voldemort and put an end to this war.”

Harry dropped his eyes so he was staring at the table. How do you stop and destroy someone who was immortal? He was extremely intelligent and cunning; a true Slytherin. “I am not sure. We were working on something, but his overthrow of the Ministry changed that plan.”

“We are working on another plan,” Ginny said brightly as she grabbed his hand.

He looked at her out of shock. Everyone must have noticed, because there was a smattering of laughter in the room.

“What is this new plan?” asked the Queen politely.

“It is still in the early stages, so it wouldn’t do any good to announce it until we get all the details,” Ginny said confidently.

“Your Grace, they have no plan and don’t want to formulate a plan,” Hopkins said.

The Queen looked at them. “Is that true? Are you lying to me?”

Ginny glared at Hopkins. “No! I am not lying to you. I need to do some research, but I think I have discovered a way of defeating him. It won’t be easy and will probably cost some of us our lives, but we must defeat him.”

Hopkins snorted at Ginny’s comment. Harry was again irritated with him. The Queen didn’t seem to be pleased with Ginny’s statement, as she stared at her.

“You think you can come in here and insult my sister and her husband,” shouted Bill at Hopkins. “What the hell do you know about us or any of this? We have been battling this for years to protect your society. You want to face off with a couple of wizards. I, Sirius, and Remus will take you on. You can use your bloody guns. They won’t do you any good.”

“William Weasley,” Arthur hissed at his son.

“Oh aren’t you bloody brave,” scoffed Hopkins. “Three against one…,”

“No,” shouted Alastor. “Two of us against all of you. Sirius, are you up for a bit of fun. Bill, the wards would activate if you joined in.”

Harry was staring at the Queen. “Are you going to let this happen?” he asked her.

“I was going to ask you the same thing, Mr. Potter. My guards are the best fighters in the land. We have already killed several of these dangerous wizards. I would think that you would be afraid for your friends.”

Harry was surprised at the Queen’s response. “Mad-eye, no Crucio or Avada Kedavra. Are you going to have this fight on these grounds?”

“I will create a bubble where they can duel without the wards activating,” said Bill. Everyone was getting up to leave the room. The room was filled with energy at the possibility of a battle.

Harry was getting irritated at the Muggle authorities. He was going to tell Sirius to sit this battle out so he could join in, but Ginny caught his arm.

“No! Don’t show off,” she told him rather bluntly. “I have confidence that Mad-eye and Padfoot can give them a good demonstration. I need to go upstairs. Xenon is being fussy for Mum. I think he is hungry.”

Ginny disappeared in front of Harry. He was wondering how she knew about Xenon being fussy and was going to ask her, but her Apparating inside of the manor shocked him. They could never do that before. He looked around and saw Arthur looking at him in shock.

“Xenon is hungry,” he said over the crowd.

Arthur waited for Harry to reach him. “I thought you couldn’t…,”

“I didn’t think we could either,” he said. “We never could before.”

“Master Potter, Master Potter,” said an anxious Phillipe. The head House Elf from France was chasing Harry down through the throng of sorcerers and Muggles. “You are needed in France, Master Potter.”

“Not now Phillipe…,”

“She is most upset, Master Potter. She says that she has information that is most important,” Phillipe said frantically. “Phillipe said that it may take some time for Master Potter to return, but she insisted that you or Mistress Potter talk to her. She refuses to take any Potions.”

“Who Phillipe? Who is acting like this?”

“She won’t give her name Master Potter. Please forgive me, she is upsetting the other patients. Nurse Pomfrey insisted that I come and get you.”

Harry watched as everyone was walking out the front door. He wanted to make sure that Sirius and Mad-eye were going to be alright. However, there was someone needing to talk to him in France. It was someone with a Portkey. He had no choice now. He had to go to France. With a sigh of disappointment, he walked towards the stairwell that led to the transportation vault.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny appeared in her Mum’s room with barely a pop.

“No?” screeched her Mum as she clutched Xenon tighter to her chest. Her Mum had turned and made a lunge towards her wand without looking at Ginny.

“Mum, it is me. I think Xenon needs fed.”

Her Mum turned around and looked at Ginny. “How did you Apparate into here? I thought that was impossible.”

Ginny had just actually realized what she had done. She knew Xenon was hungry from two floors below and Apparated up here when she wanted to come to him. “I am not sure. I knew that Xenon was hungry and I came up here.” She stopped and thought a little more about what just happened. “I didn’t even turn. I just wanted to come up here and here I am.” She snapped her fingers to show how fast it happened. It reminded her of how some of the House Elves snap their fingers when they Apparate. A thought just occurred to her. Had the other Xenon transferred more powers to her than just his ability to heal with magic and the ability to read Atlantian?”

She took her son from her Mum and sat down in the rocking chair. It only took her a couple of seconds to get Xenon to start feeding.

“You have learned how to do that so quickly,” her Mum said with pride.

“It is only natural,” Ginny said.

“Yes, it is but many new mothers take a long time to become comfortable with it.” Her Mum had turned to look out the window to give them a little privacy. “What is Bill doing out there with everyone else?”

Ginny snorted at the question. “Those ruddy Muggles are accusing us of being afraid of Voldemort.”

“We have good reason to be,” Her Mum said quickly.

“They think we should march right into the Ministry and kill him. They also think they could drop a bomb on the Ministry and destroy it and kill everyone inside of it.”

“Kill everyone inside of the Ministry!” shouted her Mum. “That is murder.”

“They believe it will end the war and destroy Voldemort. They feel we are not acting fast enough to stop the deaths. Mad-eye basically told them they didn’t know what they were talking about and the bomb idea wouldn’t work. It started a big argument and now Mad-eye and Sirius are going to duel against all the Muggle guards.”

“What did their Queen say about this duel?”

“She seemed to have agreed with her guards. I hope no one gets hurt. There is one guard that I don’t trust.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Sirius watched as Bill finished creating the opening in the wards. He cast one more spell marking the circular area.

Mad-eye laid his hand on his shoulder. “You remember your training?”

“Yeah, I do. I used it to start teaching Harry and Ginny.”

“Good,” Mad-eye whispered. “We will use technique number seven for being outnumbered, but instead of retreating we will attack.”

Sirius thought about what technique number seven was for several seconds. It suddenly returned to him. It was a brilliant plan. “Yeah, that will give them a taste of what magic can do.”

“You two can get more help, or we cannot use guns,” shouted Hopkins. “It hardly seems fair or smart to kill two of our allies. There is no way you can defend yourself against us.”

“Uncle, are you sure you don’t want us to go and get training gear?” asked Clyde.

“I am so sure that I’ll even allow you all to surround us and raise your guns at us in the middle of this circle,” said Moody.

Sirius smiled at Moody’s suggestion. He saw several start to do that, but Hopkins shouted at them. “Don’t do that. It is a trap. They can disappear and reappear. They are hoping we shoot each other. We will form a straight line right here at the edge of the opening.”

As the guards were moving to where Hopkins was placing them. He smiled at Moody. “I bet you thought you could lure us into a trap didn’t you.”

“You are a smart one you are,” shouted Moody back at the arrogant guard. He leaned to Sirius. “Same plan, only we don’t have to worry about them seeing our spells. Get ready I suspect he won’t give us any warning before he fires.”

Hopkins looked at the line of guards. “Ready,” he shouted to them all, and they raised their pistols. He waited several seconds, before saying the second command. “Aim!”

Sirius was ready, because he saw the look in Hopkins’s eye. The guard started firing before he said “Fire”. Alastor was right about the git. It wasn’t a problem, because he was ready. A large piece of turf turned itself up vertically between them and the guards. Sirius had actually loosened it and had it hanging there ready to be Levitated.

As soon as, he Levitated the turf. Moody cast a Duro Charm on it turning it into a slab of stone. The bullets ricocheted harmlessly off it. Moody and he quickly cast Dissillusionment Charms on themselves and Apparated away.

Sirius adjusted his location because of the way the guards were aligned. It would have been harder for them to do this had the guards been in a circle. He landed between the two outer guards. Moody had landed on the other end. The guards were actually in a straight line. Sirius Stunned the two guards beside him. He quickly went down the line. The guards were so focused on firing through the stone slab that they didn’t noticed their companions dropping to the ground until there were only three of them left.

Hopkins and Clyde tried to dive out of the way of the Stunners, but Moody and he were too fast and accurate for them. Seeing that all the guards were Stunned, Sirius and Moody dropped the Disillusionment Charms.

“Ten seconds, Black,” shouted Moody. “I was hoping for five.”

“There was no way,” Sirius shouted back at him. The sound of cheering reached Sirius’s ears. He looked around and saw the Order members were cheering their easy victory. After waving to everyone, he started Ennervating the fallen guards. He and Moody met in the middle. The guards were all stumbling around groggy from being Stunned.

“You were lucky,” complained Hopkins. The other guards looked at him. “You knew when we were going to attack.”

“You were lucky. We waited for you. The next time Death Eaters attack your troops, they won’t be as gentle as we were. You think this is bad. There is a spell called the Entrail Expelling Charm. The name describes it well. It was created for cooks to process animals, but it can also be used on humans with terrifying results. There are many more Curses and Spells that can be used against you. If you want to fight with us against Voldemort. You will need to learn about these things and understand how to recognize them and defend against them.”

As Moody was talking he had turned to address all of the guards. His back was to Hopkins. Sirius couldn’t see Hopkins clearly, but he saw him raising his pistol and aiming it at Moody’s back.

“No,” Clyde screamed before the retort of the gun was heard. Moody fell forward and Sirius had a clear shot at Hopkins. With a swipe of his wand, he knocked Hopkins’s gun and hand up in the air where the next bullet fired harmlessly into the air. He wanted to make an example out of this git. He silently cast the Imperius Curse.

“Moody, are you all right,” Sirius shouted. He looked down when he realized the Curse had taken affect. Hopkins was standing there staring forward with a blank expression.

“Clyde,” screamed Moody ignoring Sirius. “Clyde, hold on. I’ll get you to some help.”

Sirius stared at Clyde. There was blood coming from his mouth and he was barely breathing. It looked as if the bullet had punctured his left lung. “Go I got things here,” Sirius barely said, before Moody had activated his emergency Portkey.

With Moody and Clyde gone, Sirius returned his attention the git that created all these problems, Hopkins. He was still standing there with a blank expression on his face. “All right, it is time to deal with you,” Sirius said as he stepped towards Hopkins.

“Stop where you are at,” said a guard from behind Sirius. “Whatever you did to Hopkins, undo it, or I will blow your ugly head off.”

“Don’t you idiots ever learn,” Sirius sighed. He could feel the guard’s gun at the back of his head.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry arrived in France. He didn’t want to be here, but he also wanted to find out what this woman had to say. As he was walking through the last room before the infirmary, he realized he didn’t have any guards with him. What if this was a trap? His wand quickly leapt into his hand. He must be careful. Opening the doors to the infirmary, he saw the woman pacing by a group of children all huddled together.

The lady was tall with long dark hair. She wore older clothes that reminded Harry of what the Weasley’s wore. The children all turned to look at him. They appeared to be all under the age of eleven. Two of them resembled the woman, but the other two looked different with reddish blond hair. The children reminded him of someone.

“Harry Potter?” asked the woman. She started towards him.

Harry was going to raise his wand, but Phillipe created a shield blocking the woman’s path. She stopped abruptly and looked around. She didn’t pull her wand or try to do anything openly aggressive. He was wondering who she was, because he doesn’t remember creating a Portkey for her.

“Who are you?” he asked her.

“I-I am Marie Cattermole,” she said. “My husband gave me this hairclip and said if the family is ever in danger to gather everyone together and break the clip. It would Portkey me to someplace safe.

“Reg hasn’t been home since he —he took over the Ministry. I was so afraid for Reg when I heard the Ministry had fallen. He didn’t come home, but I couldn’t wait any longer for him. I had to get my children out to make sure they were safe. The Dark Lord is demanding that all children must report to the Ministry for training. He wants to turn our children into little Death Eaters.

“Please you must help me. Please tell me that you can get Reg out of the Ministry. If you make another Portkey and take me back to England. I could give it to Reg and we could both be safe. Please, I am worried for my husband. The children are crying for their Father. Please help me,” she broke down in tears.

Harry stared at the hair clip that she held in her hands. He remembered making it. Reg had told him that he wasn’t much of a fighter, and if the Dark Lord took over the Ministry. There would be no way he could get out, but he wanted his wife and children to be safe. Harry admired this otherwise mousy man. He knew there was a chance that he would become a victim of the war, even if hadn’t joined the Order. He wanted his loved ones to be safe, even though he may suffer for it.

“Your husband knew this might happen. He wanted you and his children to be safe above his own safety. He could have had me create a Portkey that he wore, but he chose the hair clip because it would guarantee his loved ones’ safety. I could make another Portkey, but getting to him could tip off the Ministry that he is involved with the Order. It might be safer for him if we didn’t try to get a Portkey to him. I am sorry, Marie. Your husband is a very brave and loving father and husband.”

She hung her head and cried. Harry felt helpless standing there watching her cry. He was curious if there was other information that she could share with him, but he didn’t want to ask her in her present state. Her children came over and sat around her and tried to comfort her. He looked at Phillipe and he dropped the protective barrier.

“I am sorry about your husband, but you are welcome to stay here until we all can return to England safely. Why don’t you get something to eat and find a room to stay in? Phillipe can help you with that.”

Marie looked up at him with red swollen eyes. “Thank you. We are sorry to be a bother.”

“No bother at all. Tell Phillipe what your favorite foods are and he can have the kitchens send them up to you.”

The children all looked excited at the prospect at getting their favorite foods. The youngest seemed to have even forgotten his mother and was begging for pudding.

“How can I ever repay you,” Marie asked.

“There is no need to think about that. Your husband has been helping us with this war.”

“Reg?” she asked obviously surprised. “He hates violence.”

“He told us that. He was helpful in letting us know what was going on in the Ministry.”

“My Reg was a spy against the corrupt Ministry?” she asked in awe. “I don’t believe it.”

“Yes, he was.” Harry saw a possible way of getting further information from her. “Was there anything else that you wanted to tell me about what Voldemort is doing?”

She looked at him. “He is also asking that all magical citizens report to the Ministry tomorrow morning.”

“Is that to bring their children?”

She looked at him for several seconds. “No, I know several older people who received a summons. Their children are all grown.” She stopped talking and stared at her children for several seconds. Her complexion seemed to turn ashen. Turning back to Harry, she whispered so her children couldn’t hear. “There are rumors that Voldemort is demanding all magical citizens’ pledge their fealty to him. Anyone who doesn’t will be hunted down by Fenrir Greyback and his pack. I was too afraid that I would be detained if I went to the Ministry. I am Muggle born.”

Harry stared at this scared woman. If Voldemort was using Greyback and his pack of werewolves to hunt down dissenters, then the Weasley children traveling from Hogwarts would be in terrible danger.

“Thank you for telling me about that. We will have to plan on a way to stop the werewolves, or at least Greyback.”

There was a loud thud beside Harry. He jumped back as two people appeared beside him.

“Poppy! We need your help,” screamed Moody. He was sitting on the floor clutching onto his nephew Clyde. Clyde was pale and had blood on his face and his clothing.

“Poppy!” screamed Moody again.

“Just a minute, I am attending another patient,” Madam Pompfrey shouted from the other side of the infirmary.

“I don’t have a bloody minute,” Moody shouted back at her.

Two House Elves that worked as assistants in the infirmary appeared beside Moody. They looked at Clyde in Alastor’s arms and grabbed the injured man and disappeared with him Leaving Moody sitting there. “What the hell…,” yelled Moody.

Harry could see the House Elves reappear further down the ward. They were getting Clyde ready for an examination by Poppy. “Don’t worry they are taking good care of Clyde. What happened?”

“That Hopkins tried to shoot me in the back and Clyde jumped in front of the bullet. You need to get back there and kick all those Muggles out. They act like we are there to serve them and do their bidding.”

“What did the Queen have to say about this?”

“I didn’t wait around to hear what the old bird had to say. She seemed to like that Hopkins. She ain’t my Queen. I don’t serve no ruddy Queen. You need to kick them out.”

Harry had helped Moody get off the floor while listening to him. “I’ll go back and try to sort all of this out.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur glared at the Muggle Queen. She stood there staring out at one of her guards holding a gun to Sirius’s head after another had tried to shoot Alastor in the back. Clyde had jumped in front of the bullet to protect his Uncle. The Queen didn’t seem to react to any of what just happened.

“Are you just going to stand there and not tell your men to stand down?” Arthur asked her in disbelief. “Mr Ferndock had been shot, and you don’t even care about him?”

“I care Mr. Weasley. It’s just…,”

The Queen didn’t finish her sentence because Ginny had suddenly appeared beside her on the other side opposite of Arthur.

“Why are you just standing there,” Ginny hissed at the Queen. “You are here because of Clyde. That wizard that has a gun held against his head is Harry’s godfather. If he is killed you will be lucky if Harry just kicks you off the property.”

Arthur stared at his daughter. She was still feeding Xenon and had a long flannel cover the baby’s head and the left side of her chest. The Queen stood there staring straight out the window at the standoff on the lawn.

“Are you just going to stand there?”

“I thought your wizards were invincible, and yet, you are afraid of this Voldemort. Why is that, and don’t lie to me anymore. I can always tell when someone is lying,” the Queen said with a rather bored voice.

Arthur was finally angry at the Muggle Queen. He went to open his mouth, but Ginny cut him off.

“We are afraid because we know how powerful he is,” shouted Ginny. Xenon fussed under the flannel.

“Your baby needs attended to,” the Queen said rather dismissively.

Arthur looked at his daughter. She had a look on her face that made him afraid for the Queen.

“If you want your guards to duel against each other to their death, then you can go right ahead. We don’t do that in our society. I can’t imagine standing here watching someone getting hurt without ever displaying any emotion towards them. I am starting to wonder if we should be preventing Voldemort from wiping out your society. It might create an improvement.”

“Ginny,” Arthur said her name trying to stop her from offending the Queen any further than she already had.

“Understand that here you are nothing,” Ginny said to the queen. “Beyond these wards you are a Queen. We don’t recognize your authority here. You want to have people duel to the death, then we will send you off to your old palace. You can resume your duties as the head of state.”

“Why do you say that Voldemort can’t be killed?” the Queen asked Ginny.

“Because he can’t. He has Horcruxes planted in various areas of England.”

“What in the world are Horcruxes?” asked the Queen.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Sirius stood there waiting for the man to shoot him. He just hoped that the big brute of a man was not slow on the pickup. He didn’t want to kill him. The last thing he wanted to explain to Harry how this demonstration ended in a blood bath. If only those two ruddy Muggles were more accepting of them.

“Why are you blokes doing this?” Sirius asked the guard holding the gun pointed at his head. “Mike, that’s your name isn’t it?”

“Yeah, that’s my name,” said Mike. “Hopkins and I don’t trust you and your friends. You exist in OUR country without OUR knowledge. Now you make your presence known. You blokes may be the actual enemy.”

“If we are the enemy than you are being bloody stupid,” shouted Bill Weasley. “You are surrounded and you may be able to kill one or two of us, but all of you will die.”

“Bill,” shouted Sirius. “He has a gun pointed at my head. I really want to see my promise through.”

“Afraid to die, coward,” mocked Mike. “I am not afraid to give my life for my Queen.”

“You realize Mike that if you do this the Queen and the royal family will be left unprotected,” said another one of the guards. “You will be failing to do your duty, because you will actually be endangering the Queen and the royal family, so lower your weapon.”

Sirius looked up at Hopkins. He had never put anyone under the Imperius Curse before to do harm, so he wasn’t sure if this would work.

“Mike lower your weapon and walk away,” said Hopkins with a listless voice.

“Hopkins,” said Mike with surprise in his voice. “Are you all right?”

“Lower your weapon,” said Hopkins again, while raising his handgun to point it at Mike. “Now, Mike.”

Sirius could sense Mike moving the gun away from his head. He dove for the ground and started to roll over to Stun the guard. He saw flashes of red above him and Mike falling to the ground. He quickly tried to stop Hopkins from shooting the Stunned guard. When he stood up, he was glad to see that Hopkins had lowered his weapon.

Bill was running to him, while the other guards were restraining Mike. It appeared that the threat was over. He looked over at Hopkins and had him drop his weapon and walk towards the other guards before kneeling down and placing his hands on his head.

“Could you tie him up before I release my spell,” Sirius shouted at the other guards. Two of them looked at Sirius with puzzled expressions before securing Hopkins’s hands behind his back. Sirius canceled the Imperius Curse. Hopkins immediately started shouting and screaming at him demanding to know what he did to him.

“Imperius Curse?” asked Bill.”

“What did you do to Hopkins?” asked the one guard that had taken control of the situation.

“It’s called an Imperius Curse. I had complete control of Hopkins’s mind. If I wanted him to kill the Queen, he would have done it. Unless you are very strong magically and have experience with being put under the curse, you have no defense against it. I imagine Voldemort’s followers will use it the next time he confronts your soldiers. It would be easy to cast from a distance and have several of your own soldiers start killing the others around him.”

The guard a middle-aged man with a dark rugged look and salt and pepper hair shook his head in disbelief. “I guess there is a lot of things we need to learn about fighting wizards.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry was a bundle of nerves as he stepped out of the transportation vault. He had been getting a wide variety of emotions from Ginny over the past fifteen minutes. Ginny’s emotions went into overdrive at the same time that Moody showed up with Clyde. He could only assume that Clyde getting shot coincided with Ginny’s anger. If Harry wasn’t so concerned about what had happened with the Muggle guards, her emotional swings would have been rather funny. They went from being blissfully happy, to frustrated and confused, to absolute anger. She did not speak directly to him, so he must assume that her mind was preoccupied with the events at the manor. There was also the possibility that there was too much distance between them to communicate through their bond.

“Master Potter,” exclaimed the House Elf, Jamison. “We has problems…,”

“I know the Muggles are not being very cooperative,” he said cutting off the House Elf.

“No Master Potter, the guests were being bad, but it is the goblins. They came to do battle.”

“Goblins? How did they get in here past the wards?”

“They came likes you did,”

Harry picked up his pace even more. He was running up three steps at a time to the main floor. Why would Grins be coming to do battle. If he was coming to join Harry in the fight against Voldemort, Jamison wouldn’t be so concerned. If he wanted to hurt anyone who was under the blood ward protections, then he would be immobilized. Jamison ran even faster than him and led the way through the hidden door to the entrance hall of the manor. Harry stopped running at what he saw.

There in the middle of the hall was a ring of fully armed Goblins. The outer ring were the trained guard goblins. They were kneeling while holding their long handled battle axes outward forming a ring of razor sharp steel. Inside of their circle stood a fully armored Grins Gringotts. He was standing there looking even more intimidating than Harry had ever seen before. He also held a battle ax in his one hand. As Harry took all this in, the front door opened and Sirius and Bill led the Order and Muggle guards into the building. They all stopped at the sight of the Goblins. Bill looked panicked. Harry turned his attention to the staircase as he felt Ginny walking down the staircase. She was accompanied by the Queen, her parents, and she was carrying Xenon.

“Harry Potter, the Head of the House of Potter, I demand that justice be served,” shouted Grins Gringotts. “I demand the lives of forty sorcerers in return for the lives of the forty goblins that were killed under our employment.”

Harry stared at the head of the Gringotts family. Order members were talking to his left and he could hear Bill trying to quiet them. He went to say something to them.

“Don’t look away from him, Harry,” Ginny’s voice said in his head. “Remember everything that Bill taught us about Goblins and their sense of justice. You show weakness or say the wrong thing and we could have them as an enemy.”

Harry did remember the lessons with Bill about dealing with Goblins. Their sense of justice was cruel and final. He knew that Grins would not be content until forty witches or wizards died at the hands of goblins. He also knew that it could start a second war within his society. He had to be very careful with what he said. Goblins take verbal commitments as seriously as written contracts.

“What say you, Head of the House of Potter,” shouted Grins.

“What Goblins were killed under your employment?” he asked Grins. His entire insides were a bundle of nerves. Generations of peaceful coexistence was at risk with every word he said. He spoke with Grins on several occasions over the past several years, but he had Bill to guide him before the meetings. He was on his own and a possible war with the goblins was resting on his every word. He just hoped that Grins couldn’t sense his fear.

“The Dark forces attacked our bank,” said Grins. His cold dark eyes showed anger as he spoke. “They demanded that we submit to the them and hand over control of the bank to them. When we refused, the cowards started killing unarmed goblins, before we could get the armed guards to protect us. They now control the building above ground. We retreated to the caves to defend ourselves and to protect the vaults. They are still fighting to get through our wards. Soon they will break through our wards and drive us from our caves.

“They killed forty of our clerks and accountants. They did this in violation of our treaties. I demand that we have the right to seek justice upon the magical community. I come to you because of the ancestral vow between our families and our alliance with the bank. The goblins that were killed were also your employees. Are you going to allow justice to be served? A life for a life is the goblin law. What say you?”

Harry took a deep breath before speaking. He had to speak to Grins and try to keep him from killing forty innocent people. He was so nervous.

“The act of these dark wizards and witches was a violation of both goblin and the laws of sorcerers. Justice must be done. Is it justice to kill people who are not responsible for the deaths. It was not the entire society of wizards and witches that caused the death of our employees, but a group that I am fighting against. Join forces with us to fight this dark force and you will have justice.”

“A death during a battle is not the same as a death without means to defend one self, Master Potter.”

“I realize that, but if the Goblins wage war against magical society, it will weaken my forces to defeat the dark forces. The same dark forces that killed the unarmed goblins. We must join together to become stronger than our foes and defeat them. That will be the only way a peaceful justice will be reached.”

“What of the forty lives taken outside of battle, Master Potter. You have not accounted for them. They need to be avenged.”

“When we win this war, the goblins may have their vengeance on the unjust. It is your right to have vengeance.”

“The dark forces are still trying to enter the vaults of our bank. If you want us as allies, you must send forces to help us in this battle,” Grins demanded.

“I shall do that, Grins Gringotts Head of the House of Gringotts. Do we have an agreement?”

“Yes, we shall join forces and fight together. We will wait for the final outcome to seek our vengeance. I shall return to the caves now. I will leave four of my guards by the vault here. Each one has the ability to operate the vault to bring our forces into the caves. I shall expect them within the hour.”

“Good job, Harry,” said Ginny through their bond. “Bill was looking nervous until the end.”

The guard goblins raised their battle axes and stood up. They filed out in two columns with Gins walking between them. Harry watched as they left. As soon as they disappeared, Bill approached him.

“I will take about fifteen Order members with me to the vaults,” he said quickly. “Good job in dealing with Grins. I was nervous that we would be at war with the goblins.”

“So was I,” Harry said. “Do you think fifteen will be enough to stop them?”

“Actually, there are some traps that I learned in Egypt that I want to try. I may be able to stop them by myself, but Grins won’t be happy with just one wizard. He will expect a group of us.”

“All right, you take care of that, and thanks for all those lessons about Goblin culture,” he grabbed Bills shoulder.

“Thanks for remembering them, Harry Potter Head of the House of Potter,” Bill said with a smile on his face. He knew Harry didn’t like to be reminded of his title.

“Prat,” he said to his brother-in-law as he walked away.

Harry looked at the two Muggle guards that were restrained. He needed to find out what had happened here and decide what he needed to do about it. He didn’t like the idea that two guards had to be restrained or that the Queen had spoken for the one guard.

Back to index


Chapter 35: The King of Magic

Author's Notes: Voldemort declares his intentions to the British magical community.
Many thanks to Leif for work on this chapter.


Harry took Xenon from Ginny. She had just finished feeding their baby. It seemed like the only thing he did was eat, sleep, and fill nappies. Harry was always given the privilege of gassing the baby after he was done eating. Ginny told him it was a perfect opportunity to bond with his son. He was sure it was so Ginny didn’t have to Scourgify her back when Xenon spit up. He didn’t mind too much, because he could hold his son.

Harry and Ginny looked towards the door, as someone softly knocked on it. “Did I hear my grandson awake,” said Arthur from the other side of the door. It was nearly four-thirty in the morning, and he was obviously listening.

“Yes, Dad you can come in and hold him,” Ginny said with a laugh.

It was decided that Harry and Ginny would return to Egypt so she could continue researching the magic of the Atlanteans. Harry wanted to reach an agreement with the goblins there to act as jailers for the people they captured. He just hoped that they could destroy Voldemort before They filled his Egyptian manor with Dark Wizards. The most important thing would be to ensure they don’t destroy the library.

“Here, it should be safe now,” Harry said, while handing his son to Arthur. He looked over his left shoulder and saw a trail of spit up down his back. That flannel that Ginny gave him was not big enough. With a wave of his wand he cleaned his back up. Ginny came over and Scourgified another place lower on his robes.

“Does this boy get anything to eat?” asked Arthur. “It looks as if he just spits it all back out.”

“Trust me Dad, he has the Weasley appetite,” said Ginny slightly mournfully.

Arthur sat down in the high backed rocking chair. He pulled Xenon snug up to his chest and started rocking. Harry walked over to the settee by the fireplace and sat down. Ginny came over and sat beside him. She leaned against his side. It felt funny to him. A week ago he felt complete sitting like this with Ginny, now he could actually feel the absence of their son. He started getting jealous of Arthur holding him.

“You will have plenty of time to hold him later on today,” Ginny said to him through their bond.

“I just don’t feel complete anymore with just you sitting beside me…,”

“Oh, I am not enough for you anymore, Mr. Potter?”

Harry could feel that she was taking the mickey out of him. “Yes, you are but there is more to our family now.”

“Yes, there is.”


The feeling of contentment from Ginny washed over him like a warm ocean breeze. There was love here like he never known existed before she came into his life. Now that her family had come to accept him and love him too, he couldn’t ask for anything more in life. If only there wasn’t a Voldemort in the world.

“Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Mr. Weasley, you are requested to go to the map room,” said a nervous messenger from the other side of the door.

Arthur looked at the sleeping baby on his chest and up at Ginny. It was obvious he didn’t want to move. If he had his choice, he would spend all day holding and rocking babies to sleep.

“I guess bring him,” Ginny said to her father. “If Moody starts shouting and wakes him, he will have to rock him to sleep.”

Arthur’s face turned red as he tried to suppress a laugh. Alastor Moody the famous Auror who had captured more Dark Wizards than any other Auror was afraid of babies. He almost ran in fear from Xenon when Arthur had handed him to Moody.

As quietly as they could, they all left the bedroom suite and headed down to the map room. Molly was waiting for them in the hallway. She tried to take the baby from Arthur, but he refused.

“You will be getting plenty of time in Egypt while Ginny is researching. It is my turn now,” Arthur whispered to his wife.

Molly smiled at him and didn’t say anything else. Harry was wondering why they were all called to the map room. They met Sirius and Remus halfway down the stairs. No one said anything since most of the rest of the house was sleeping.

They walked into the map room and saw Bill Weasley sitting there holding a large glass of what looked like Firewhiskey. He looked exhausted and dirty, but he was smiling. Ginny was the first to gasp and grab Harry’s arm. He hadn’t noticed what Bill had sitting in front of him on a table: Helga Hufflepuff’s cup.

“Courtesy of the Gringotts,” Bill said raising his glass.

His voice was too loud as Xenon fussed and squirmed in Arthur’s arms. Molly glared at her eldest son and crossed her lips with her finger to tell him to be quiet.

“Congratulations, Bill,” Harry whispered.

Ginny reached out with her right hand and drew it down over Xenon’s body while still in Arthur’s arms. As she did, a shimmering shield went up over him. “There we can talk now,” she said aloud.

“What did you do?” whispered Molly. “Can Arthur move his arms?”

“The shield blocks sound, and it is rooted to Xenon. You can set him down if he is too heavy for you, Dad.”

“It won’t harm him, will it? Where did you learn this spell?” Arthur asked.

“Oh that…,” Ginny stopped talking.

An image showed up in Harry’s mind. It was a tall elegant elf casting the same charm over a young baby so it could peacefully sleep. It was in a building constructed of the same white marble that made up the Atlantean library.

“That’s elf magic,” he told them. They all stared at Ginny.

“I am sorry. It just comes naturally to me now,” Ginny said apologetically.

“Don’t apologize Ginny,” said Remus. “You have been given a great gift. Bill, I want to know how you got the cup and is it a Horcux?”

“It is a Horcrux. Grins personally opened the Lestrange vault for me and there it was on a high shelf in the back.”

“I didn’t think Goblins were allowed to do that,” said Arthur.

“The Lestranges and all the families who are following Voldemort have now given up the right of protection from the goblins. They are now the goblins sworn enemy. All previous agreements are null and void….” Bill told them about the battle that had lasted all night.

He had set up one ward in front of the attacking dark wizards, and then Apparated around behind them and set up another ward. He essentially trapped them between two deadly wards. Macnair had led the attack. Bill couldn’t recognize many of Voldemort’s followers. The trick was to get the ward in front of the dark wizards to collapse temporarily to only reestablish itself in another location five minutes later. It was a block that Bill had run into in Egypt. Many Curse Breakers died because they thought they had dropped the ward only to walk into it a few minutes later. The fighting lasted most of the night. It had only finished up about an hour ago. Bill had asked Grins to open the vaults of the Lestrange’s and then Rookwood’s because they may contain a magical object. The cup was sitting in the Lestrange’s vault.

“I want to destroy it,” Bill said. His speech was a little slurred.

“Young man, you need to go to bed. We will talk about destroying this in the morning,” Molly said going into full mother mode.

“Mum, it is morning. When I wake up, I want to destroy it, but in the mean time we need to hide this,” Bill said pointing at the cup.

Ginny pushed her hands forward with the heels together and the fingers spread out wide. A pulse of energy emerged from her hands and surrounded the cup before disappearing inside of it. “There we can pick it up without fear of the Horcrux and curses on it.”

Bill grabbed it in his hand and looked at it. He had a strange smile on his face. “I hold here a part of a person. A totally evil person, but a person just the same. Magic is so strange at times.” He knocked back the rest of his drink before putting the cup in his robe pocket.

“Excuse me,” said a Muggle guard.

Harry wasn’t sure what his name was. He had been one of the replacements for Hopkins and Mike White. It was decided that Hopkins would relinquish his control over guarding the Queen while she was here. Clyde was given control over the guards with the Queen in the magical world. Hopkins would look after her when she returned to the Muggle world.

“There is something going on that you should look at,” the new guard said again. He was now pointing at the board that tracked the Death Eaters

“I’ll go look,” said Sirius. He stood up and grinned at Bill. “You need to get some shut-eye William.”

“Oh piss off,” Bill said to Sirius’ retreating back. He turned his attention to Harry. Bill stared at him for several seconds and then down at the cup. “Can you feel it?” He asked.

Harry couldn’t feel it. He couldn’t feel the presence of Voldemort’s shattered soul inside of the cup. He was starting to feel that the cup might not be a Horcrux.

“Hey everyone,” shouted Sirius from the Tracking board. “You need to see this.”

Everyone who was standing around Harry and Ginny all looked at the board. They didn’t waste time asking questions about what Sirius was seeing. The Death Eaters that were flying over Britain were going to London. It was strange the way they were flying. They would fly from one location to the next until they reached Cardiff. They would then go directly to London. Some of the Death Eaters had been at London when the first of their group had Apparated there.

Harry looked around and everyone was confused at what they were seeing. Sirius on the other hand seemed to be happy.

“Sirius, they are probably reporting to the Ministry. This is supposed to be the day that all magical people go to the Ministry to meet their new leader. They will be up in the air again after the meeting is done.”

“Harry, my boy,” shouted Sirius. “We finally have our breakthrough. It doesn’t matter that they will be up in the air. We know that they have a definite pattern to follow. We also know that they can’t communicate with each other while they are doing the rounds.

“If we can locate their base, I am assuming it is in Cardiff, we can capture two shifts worth of Death Eaters.”

“How do we do that,” asked Moody clumping into the room. He was followed closely behind by his nephew Clyde.

“If we can capture Cardiff quickly. The other shift won’t know it. It is obvious to me that they are not communicating with people on the ground. That is why they all went to Cardiff before going to London for an important meeting today.”

“How can we find their base in Cardiff?” Moody questioned Sirius. It seemed to make Sirius smile even larger. “It could be any building; a two story house, a back room in a store, or an abandoned building.”

“I know Alastor,” said Sirius calmly. “The one thing that I can guarantee. It will have Muggle Repelling Charms on it.”

Moody started to laugh and Harry was wondering what was so funny.

“We just need to have a Muggle guard walk along beside an Order member. If they get a sudden urge to go home and do their laundry, we will know where the base is located.” The old Auror barked out a hearty laugh. “This was a lucky break.”

Harry knew it wouldn’t be that simple, but it was a break just the same. He just needed to figure out a way to get inside of the Ministry and deep into the Department of Mysteries.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Come along children,” Minerva urged the students. “The sun is coming up.”

The students from Hogwarts started out on their journey in the daytime, but she quickly realized that was a mistake when a band of Muggles tried to attack them. One of the House Elves was injured when the Muggles started shooting at them. It took Minerva, Filius, and Pomona every trick they knew to get the children and House Elves to safety without anyone else getting shot. She was finally able to divert the Muggles attention from their group when she created an illusion of a duplicate group moving another direction while Filius cast Muggle Repelling Charms around their group.

They remained hidden the rest of the day and started moving again last night. They hadn’t met any resistance throughout the night. So after moving through the night in the strange countryside, the advanced scouts, Fred and George, had come upon this clump of trees and decided to make it their camp. It was stuck in the middle of several fields, but it didn’t appear to have any signs of Muggle activity. The advantage was it had a small stream flowing through it, so they had fresh water. The disadvantage was that the ground was swampy.

“Percy, try to get everyone to set up their tents someplace dry and get ready for a meal. I would like everyone to get as much rest as possible today. Everyone must be exhausted; after the problems we ran into yesterday.”

“Yes, Professor,” Percy replied. “Justin Finch-Fletchley would like to talk to you.”

“What does he want to talk to me about?”

“He wants to contact his parents, Professor,” Percy said. “He thinks they could help him and some of the other Muggle borns get back to their parents.”

“Very well, after I finish casting the Muggle repelling spells, I will speak with him.”

“Thank you Professor,” Percy said before leaving her.

Minerva started casting Muggle Repelling and Notice-Me-Not Charms. Filius was responsible for casting the Anti-Intruder Charms to warn them if someone was trying to sneak into camp. Pomona wasn’t as proficient at spell work, but she could find things to eat anywhere they went as long as there were plants. It took her a good thirty minutes to finish the spell work. She was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to sit down eat a meal and go to sleep. She hadn’t slept more than an hour yesterday, after not getting any sleep the night before, and moving all last night. They had crossed large expanses of fields that she was sure someone had seen them, but luckily they hadn’t been detected. She guessed they hadn’t traveled more than ten miles last night. At this rate it will take them more than a month to get to Potter Manor.

“Hey Minerva,” said Pomona, as she handed her a plate. “Eat up and then get some sleep. I know you didn’t get any sleep yesterday. You are too old to go that long without sleep.”

“I am the same age as you Pomona!” she snapped back at her friend, as she took the plate.

“I know that is why I know you need some sleep,” Pomona said with a smile.

Minerva was so tired that she started to laugh at her friend’s comment. Pomona was right. She needed to sleep, but she also had to listen to Justin and any other student with concerns. She lifted her fork and looked down at her plate. There were two eggs, some fried potatoes, sausages and two pieces of toast. She looked at Pomona. “Eggs, where did we get eggs?”

“I was surprised too. I guess the House Elves raided the kitchens at Hogwarts. Those bags they are carrying might have all the food from school.”

Minerva took a bite of the fried potatoes. “Bless those industrious House Elves, I certainly needed this.”

“I’ll be back with some Pumpkin Juice,” Pomona said, as she started walking away.

“I would prefer some strong tea,” Minerva shouted to her friend.

“No, Pumpkin Juice, you need to get some sleep,” Pomona shouted back to her.

Minerva smiled at her friend’s retreating back. She took several more bites from her plate, before Justin appeared at her tent.

“Professor, I need to talk to you.”

“Hello Mr. Finch-Fletchley, Mr. Percy Weasley mentioned you wanted to speak to me. We can talk if you don’t mind me eating my breakfast.”

“I would like to call my parents,” he blurted out. “I don’t know where we are going, but I would feel safer at my parent’s house than any place we could possibly be going. We live in a gated community and have security.”

Minerva finished eating a bite of toast, before responding. “How would you contact your parents? I will not allow you to wander around the county-side by yourself.”

“I could go and contact any constable. They would be able reach my parents and they could pick me up.”

“I told you that I won’t allow you to leave this group on your own. Tomorrow, we will try to camp closer to a town. If you want to go into the town with a couple of the older Muggle born students, we will arrange the trip. I am sure you are not the only one wanting to go home.

“The other thing you need to keep in mind is we don’t know what has happened. We don’t know if Voldemort has been attacking the Muggle government. You may be safer with us.”

Mr. Finch-Fletchley had look on his face like he had just smelled something rather foul. “He couldn’t overthrow the British government. That is just not possible.”

Minerva stared at the young boy. He was clueless at how powerful and ruthless Voldemort truly was. “I don’t put anything past Voldemort. He may not be able to physically overthrow it, but he could control the leaders. There are spells that would give him that ability.”

The young lad had gone very pale. “That isn’t possible is it?”

“Can you explain why we ran into those Muggles who wanted to kill us?” she asked him. It bothered her why the Muggles would act the way they had.

“I-I don’t know,” said Mr. Finch-Fletchley. He looked as if he was going to cry.

“Mr. Finch-Fletchley, I promise you that I will do whatever I can to protect you and if possible aid in stopping Voldemort. Why don’t you get some sleep? We will try to find a camp site closer to a town tomorrow. We need to discover what is happening in this country.”

“Thank you Professor,” the young Hufflepuff said, before walking away.

Minerva went back to her plate. The food had gone cold, but that didn’t matter to her. It still tasted delicious. She had just finished her last bite when Pomona returned. She was holding a glass of Pumpkin Juice, just what she needed before a kip.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Voldemort stood staring at the destruction in the Magical Transportation Department. He wanted this place to be operational by now. It clearly wasn’t. That was one thing that was bothering him. The other was Amelia Bones’s dead body was missing. She was supposed to be dead; buried under the rubble that had been cleared away.

“Where is she?” he asked John Dawlish.

“We don’t know, my Lord,” Dawlish said with a shaky voice.

“Have all the bodies been identified?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“And…,” said Voldemort.

“Her body wasn’t among the dead that we uncovered.”

“Did I not ask that she die?” he said to this worm. “That was a simple request. Kill Amelia Bones before we start the overthrow of the Ministry. Rookwood, you understood that order.”

Rookwood bowed to him. “Yes, my Lord. That was a very easy order to understand.”

“Do I not speak loud enough for you Auror Dawlish?” he asked the quivering man. He hated spineless people. Particularly, if they are supposed to be working for him.

“Madam Bones is a most resourceful and powerful witch. She had help…,”

“Silence!” he shouted at the Auror. “Are you telling me that you are not resourceful? If you are not resourceful then you are of no use to me.”

“I-I am resourceful,” he squeaked out.

“Good, go and find Amelia Bones and bring me back her dead body. If I ever see you again before I see her corpse, you will become a corpse…,” he stopped talking and smiled at the weak man. “…eventually.”

Dawlish stayed kneeling in front of him. “How many Aurors can I take with me, my Lord?”

“None. You go alone. A resourceful man like you shouldn’t need anyone else. Now go!”

Dawlish stood up and nearly ran from the room. He bumped into several of the maintenance workers who were also waiting there. Rookwood had come to contact him an hour ago to give him an update of what work had been completed in the Ministry. Almost everything had been completed as expected except this department and the Department of Mysteries was still buried.

“Urquhart,” he called out. He waited for the next failure of a man to kneel before him. “Why is the Portkey tracking board not completed. Rookwood told me that he had this area cleared last night. That should have given you enough time to reactivate the board.”

“I tried to activate it after reassembling it, but it isn’t working.”

“I can see that, you imbecile. Why isn’t it working? You told me that you were the person in charge of running the board. Did you lie to me?”

“No!” Urquhart screamed. “I didn’t lie. I do run the board, but the board isn’t working. When they blew it up, it canceled all the Charms on it. I looked in the manuals for what to do, but the manuals are all missing.”

“Does anyone know what Charms are needed to get the board working again?” Voldemort said. He was getting extremely irritated. Once again the Order had thwarted his plans, they must have had a spy in his ranks. He started rolling his wand between his fingers while staring at Urquhart.

“M-m-my cousin knows them. He helped cast them the last time the board was expanded.”

“Why haven’t you called your cousin in to fix the board?”

“He is trapped in the department of Mysteries, my Lord. Please, I am doing all I can to get this board running. Please, don’t hurt me. Please,” the worm cried at his feet.

“Rookwood, have the maintenance people go to the Department of Mysteries and open it up. I must go address the magical community.” He stopped and whispered to his faithful follower. “Give that piece of slime some incentive to ensure he gets the board operational by morning.”

Voldemort started walking away from the Department of Magical Transportation. Bella was at his side. The screams of Rookwood punishing a failure echoed until the door to the Department of Magical Transportation closed behind them. He came upon the group of maintenance workers waiting for a lift to take them to the entrance of the Department of Mysteries.

“You would think that bloke would give us at least eight hours to get some sleep. No, he says we must work for three bloody days without sleep.”

The maintenance worker stopped talking when he saw that everyone else had eyes the size of galleons staring over his shoulder. The man slowly turned around and was staring in his eyes.

“You want to rest,” he said to the maintenance man. “Avada Kedavra!” he shouted as he killed the maintenance worker. “Don’t let it be said that I can’t be merciful. Do any of you have any complaints?” He addressed the rest of the workers

They all stared at him tightlipped.

“Good, enjoy your day of work,” he said, as he stepped into his private lift.

He had decided that he wasn’t going to share a lift with anyone when he wanted to move around the Ministry. He posted two guards at each floor to ensure that no one used his private lift. He was on his way up to the Atrium to address everyone in the magical community. It was time that they recognized him for what he was; their regent, the King of Magic.

“Bella, have you heard from your husband since he went on assignment?”

“No my Lord, I haven’t,” she said with her usual downturned face. “I would have demanded that he report immediately to you.”

“I know you would have. You are the one person who I trust completely. If you get word from him or anyone that went with him let me know. I hope nothing befell him.”

The lift doors opened and he looked out to see if the guards were in place. They were standing in their proper places, he passed his wand over his face before stepping out into the Atrium. The platform that he had ordered to be built was complete. He would stand above the crowd where he belonged. He strode calmly along without making eye contact with anyone in the Atrium. It seemed very quiet for holding all of Britain’s magical community. He had calculated that there should be nearly five thousand witches and wizards in the Atrium.

As he slowly walked up the steps to the platform. He looked out over the crowd. He couldn’t count everyone that was there, but he was sure that there were not close to five thousand. With each step he took anger built up inside of him. He was willing to lead these people to victory, and they choose to ignore him. This war was not going as well as he had hoped. He will be victorious. It may take a little longer than he had originally planned.

“Greetings Magical citizens,” he said using the Sonorus Charms that he cast silently was making his voice echo off the Atrium’s walls.

“I have come to address you about the future of our society, and the end to the deceit that has been spread throughout it. Long have we suffered under the weak and spineless leadership of Albus Dumbledore and Cornelius Fudge. They have allowed us to be subjugated by the Muggles, because they were too weak to stand up for our rights.

“It is our right to be the leaders of this world. We possess magic to run the world as it should be run. The Muggles don’t have Magic. The ones that say they have it actually stole it from us. The Muggles use machines to live without magic. They tear up our land, pollute our water and air with their mechanized contraptions.

“We need to stand up and put a stop to this destruction. If we are going to save this world for future generations, we will need to stop the Muggles from destroying it. It won’t be easy. It won’t happen quickly, but It will happen. I guarantee it. I have dedicated my life to stopping the Muggle pestilence that is destroying our world. The weak and uninformed have opposed me. They tell people that I am to be feared. They were wrong. I am to be respected.

“No one needs to fear me except those that want to suppress our birthright. No one needs to fear me who wants the Magical Community to rise up from under this rock that we have been hiding. No one needs to fear me except those that are lazy and don’t want to succeed.

“The only reason you need to fear me is if you hate magic and magical people!

“Who among us feel they need to fear me? Who among you agree with me that the magical community has been suppressed and treated like vermin long enough. I am not vermin. You are not vermin.

“The Muggles are the vermin. They are a disease upon the earth. We must eradicate them to save our world. We must rise up and use this power we have to take control of this world before it is too late.”

He stopped talking and looked out over the crowd. Many of them were cheering, but there also many that were looking around nervously at their neighbors.

“Albus Dumbledore told you that he is your friend and I am your enemy. That was a lie! He was the real enemy of magical peoples everywhere. He has tried to make our society weaker so that we could not fight of this Muggle scourge. He even went so far as to destroy the very school that he claimed to care so much about, because he didn’t want me and Madam Lestrange to finally teach your children how to be strong. Over the generations that he has been there the magical community has become steadily weaker because of him and his fellow Professors.

“It is time for a change. I will take personal interest in seeing that all of your children learn from an early age the power of magic. No longer will our children need to wait to learn how to use magic. They need to start learning at an early age, so they can take their rightful place in the world.

“A thousand years ago, my ancestor Salazar Slytherin saw the future. He knew that magic was special and only the special should be allowed to learn it. It is time for me to make his dream a reality. Albus Dumbledore may have destroyed our beloved school, Hogwarts, but he will not stop me and my chosen teachers from developing our future into strong and smart rulers of this world.

“I realize that you may think this is all impossible. It is not! I have seen the future like my ancestor. I have seen the path we must take to wrest control of our world back from the Muggles. It will not be without sacrifice. Already, the Muggles have started attacking us. Five of my close friends and assistants are dead because of Muggles. They were murdered by the Muggles. The Muggles have noticed us, and they are jealous of us.

“We must strike back. We must strike back now! We cannot wait for another year or another month. The time to fight is now. First we take control of England and the British Isles. It should have been ours to rule over. Are we not the descendants of Merlin?

“Britain will not be the end. Our numbers will increase. Magical people from around the world will see us rise above the Muggles. They too will want what we have, and we will show them the way. We will teach them how to fight back against the evil Muggle nations.

“Gone are the days of the useless old fools that sat in the Wizengamot. Gone are the days of the weak and spineless Ministers and Ministresses of Magic. We only need one thing, and that is a strong leader. An intelligent leader who can see the future. That leader is me. As the King of the Magical community I will lead you, my people, forward on a great crusade to right wrongs that had been placed on us. To reclaim our birthright as the greatest and most powerful beings on the Earth.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones leaned out as far as she could to get a better look at Voldemort. She was sitting on a small two-foot-wide ledge high above the Atrium. She had climbed up here with Abigail to hear what Voldemort was going to say to the magical community. They were sitting in the ventilation system vent that was hidden behind a tall banner. All the years that she had entered the Ministry and looked up at this banner, she never realized what was hidden behind it. The vent she was sitting in could easily accommodate both her and Abigail sitting upright. It was not very comfortable up here, because Amelia never liked heights. She always hated riding a broom because of how high she would have to fly. Right now she was sitting precariously on a two-foot-wide ledge that was thirty feet above the Atrium floor, and it was a forty foot drop down the other side of the ventilation shaft.

She needed to lean out to get a better look at Voldemort. She only had one eye left, but luckily it was her good eye. She recognized his voice it was high-pitched for being a man’s voice. It was his face that she couldn’t recognize. She had seen him seven months ago when he attacked her family home and tried to kill her. He was, at that time, a ghastly vision with snow white skin, scarlet eyes, and a flat nose. The man that was talking was tall like Voldemort, but he was young and handsome with thick dark hair. He almost reminded Amelia of a tall Harry Potter.

“Madam Bones, be careful. It is a long way down,” whispered Abigail nervously.

“I know, my dear. Believe me I know,” she whispered in return. They may be well hidden, but she was afraid someone would hear them. The Atrium was strangely quiet after Voldemort announced he was now the King of Magic.

“He doesn’t want people to see what he has become with his use of Dark Magic,” she whispered aloud more to herself than to Abigail.

“Excuse me?”

“Voldemort has cast Glamor Charms on himself to hide what he truly looks like after a life of using Dark Magic.”

“As my subjects, you will be marked for all to see with a brand of two wands,” Voldemort said. “Do not look at this as a punishment or anything to be ashamed of, because we must know who are our allies. The time has come to band together as one. All who are with me, will have my protection. Anyone who doesn’t want to fight for our cause must be considered as part of the enemy. We can longer have a middle ground. You are either an asset to the cause for which we are striving or you are against us. Some of my assistants are now prepared to mark all who want to join us in creating our new society.”

“I am not getting branded with a Dark Mark,” shouted someone from the crowd.

Amelia twisted her head around to see if she could recognize the person who objected to being branded. Soon others were joining in protesting being marked. Voldemort’s assistants stepped in with wands raised. Amelia was able to recognize the assistants. She had arrested many of them or helped prosecute them for crimes. They had all been in Azkaban a few days ago. A furious battle broke out in the Atrium as more people joined in protesting being branded. The rebels had broken free of the crowd and were making their way towards the Floo grates and the Apparition area. It looked as if they were going to escape when the air turned frigid and a swarm of Dementors swept out of the Floos and immediately started kissing the rebels.

Screams could be heard all across the Atrium. At least Amelia thought they were coming from the people in the Atrium, they could have coming from her own thoughts. The rebels who hadn’t been kissed with the original wave of Dementors all laid down their wands and covered their faces as though that would stop the Dementors. A Dementor that had sucked the soul out its victim let the shell of the man flop to the floor and started moving towards another person.

A strange hissing and spitting type of a sound filled the Atrium. It caused her skin to crawl almost as much as the presence of the Dementors. She looked to see what it was. She saw Voldemort moving his mouth. He was speaking to the Dementors in Parsletongue. The Dementors seemed to be listening as they didn’t attack anyone else, but blocked the possible exits.

“I will not tolerate traitors. You see what will happen to all who do not accept me as their King and swear fealty to me,” said Voldemort. His voice was cold and frosty and matched the feelings that a Dementor brought out in a person. There was no compassion or warmth to his voice. It was cold razor sharp steel. “You can now choose your fate. Join me or them. Those who join me may leave and tell your neighbors what is expected of them. By tomorrow morning everyone will have to decide. Because after Noon tomorrow, any unmarked magical person will be brought in and persecuted as a traitor. If the Dementors don’t find you, my assistant Fenrir Greyback and his pack will. Do not think you can leave England. The borders have been sealed against magical transportation and the Muggle forms of transportation are not working now either. The Muggles are already cowering in fear of me. Join me or suffer the consequences.”

Amelia watched as he moved quickly from the raised platform. The Atrium was silent. No one spoke as they shuffled forward and presented their hands to have a brand placed on it. It looked as if Voldemort’s assistants had some type of a rubber ink stamp and were pressing it to the back of the people’s hands. There was a second person writing in a log book as each person was branded. She assumed they did that to record exactly how many people had actually joined them.

Each person with a branded hand was allowed past the Dementors. She assumed that no one would refuse in the face of certain death, or a fate worse than death.

She needed to get to some place where she could send a Patronus to Alastor, Arthur, or anyone. Arthur would be the most likely person still alive and not captured. She had never heard how badly Voldemort’s forces defeated the Order in the Atrium, but it must have been decisive. It was even a possibility that there aren’t more than a handful of Order members left in the world. How are they ever going to fight back against this newly appointed King of Magic.

When things seemed too bleak to comprehend, a sound reached her ears. It was the heart wrenching sound of children crying out to their parents. Amelia leaned out even farther than she felt comfortable or safe to see what was happening. Former prisoners of Azkaban were pulling the children in attendance away from their parents. They parents were helpless to do anything as they were surrounded. Among the children’s crying she could hear Voldemort’s cronies tell the parents that they would take good care of the children. His comments about teaching the children crystalized. He was going to try to turn the children into heartless demons’ like himself.

He had to be stopped. She didn’t know if it was possible, but she would not sit back and allow him to turn the world into a dark and deadly place.

Back to index


Chapter 36: The Massacre - Part 1 Tracking

Author's Notes: Hello everyone, sorry for the long dela between chapters, but I have had several technical and scheduling difficulties. This chapter and the next started out to be a single chapter, but as I wrote it it quickly became to long for a single chapter; indicated by the "Part 1"
There is something I should poitn out because of the actual time that has elapsed during the posting of this story. This chapter is occurring within three days of the chapter Britain Falls. It may seem like a life time ago that that particular chapter had been posted, but in the story's timeline it wasn't that long ago.
I would like to thank my Beta Leif for such a quick turnaround on this chapter.


Voldemort strode confidently out of the Atrium and towards his private lift. The sound of crying children being ripped from their mothers’ arms filled the air. The parents were all too scared to fight back, so they resorted to begging with his lieutenants to not take their children from them. The crying children and sobbing mothers filled the air with grief and fear, and he drank it all in. It was what he lived for. The cries of weak and desperate people. He will change them to a nation of strong people or he will destroy them.

“Master?” called someone from behind him. His servant’s raspy voice was easily recognized. “Master, please I need to talk to you.”

Voldemort stopped walking a few steps from his lift. He turned and looked down upon a kneeling Fenrir Greyback. “Not now! If you wish to speak to your King, one must schedule an appointment.!”

“Master, I …,” Greyback started to say something before being cut off.

“I am your King. You may now address me as your Highness or your Grace. I am going to my office. If you wish to come up there now, I shall see you. I only do this because of your loyal service to me.”

“Thank you your Highness,” Greyback growled out to him.

Voldemort ignored his kneeling servant and stepped into his private lift. Fenrir remained kneeling until the doors closed.

“Level One, Bella,” he said. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her comply. “Now that I am King, I need a Queen to rule beside me. You shall be that Queen. I trust none other to be beside me.”

He turned to look at her to gauge her response. She immediately bowed her head to him.

“I would be proud to be your Queen and give you an heir,” she said. “I am presently married, though, my Grace.”

“I shall annul the marriage between Rodolphus and yourself. If he ever returns, I shall give him a new wife. Does that please you, Bella?”

“Yes. Your Grace, it pleases my greatly,” she said excitedly.

“You will no longer need to bow to me, except when we are in public. I also do not need an heir. I am immortal. I plan to rule forever.”

He felt a twinge of disappointment coming from her, as the doors opened. He stepped out of the elevator with Bella following behind him. He didn’t have time to ask why she was disappointed because another lift opened to reveal Fenrir Greyback. Ignoring the werewolf, he walked up the dais to his throne. Once he seated himself upon his throne, he nodded for Fenrir to approach him. Bella had joined him standing at his right arm.

“Your Highness,” Fenrir Greyback said as he knelt in front of him. “I thought we could start tracking the traitors this morning?”

“Are you disappointed that I gave the citizens until tomorrow at noon?”

“Tonight is a full moon. I was hoping to be able to blood my pack while we were transformed. I have many new members that have never been hunting before. It would be good if they had an opportunity to participate in a hunt. If I don’t keep the pack together, I will have a difficult time organizing them tomorrow morning.”

Voldemort smiled at the werewolf. “I do have a perfect opportunity for you. McGonagall and several of the traitors from Hogwarts has led a group of Muggleborn, half-bloods, and blood traitor children from Hogwarts. I do not know which direction they went. You will need to move quickly, because I want this group dead by morning. Before you leave, you will stop by the Prophet and take a reporter with you. With a picture of their mutilated bodies in the morning paper, people will quickly come in and pledge their fealty to me.”

“Thank you, your Grace,” Fenrir said with a feral growl. He quickly stood up left the room.

Voldemort sat there and watched the werewolf leave. Greyback was practically salivating at the thoughts of attacking and killing children. The werewolves were a useful tool to ensure people stay in line, and he planned to use them often.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Gregory Bright stood leaning against the wall. He was exhausted. He had been working for nearly three days with only a few hours of rest. He looked across to Reg Cattermole. The fellow Order member looked near death. Gregory wondered if he looked the same. They were lucky that this job had finished up earlier than originally planned.

They had been working on opening up the Department of Mysteries for the past several hours. They had only moved a few feet down the collapsed hallway when they were met with the Unspeakables working their way out of the department.

The Unspeakables were talking with Rookwood, who had once been a coworker, until he was sent to Azkaban. They were looking at the hallway. They must have noticed that it was collapsed in such a way that it would be difficult to repair, as the Department of Magical Transportation had been destroyed. It didn’t take a genius to deduce that this sabotage was well planned and executed by more than one person. He knew that he didn’t have much time left before the Maintenance workers would be tortured to reveal who had planned the sabotage.

It wouldn’t matter which worker they would start torturing; they were all guilty. He had been one of the organizers to get them to fight against the Death Eaters. He was the one that talked the rest of them into working against Voldemort and his lackeys, but all the maintenance workers had joined in in some degree. It hadn’t been hard to convince them, because they had suffered under Lucius Malfoy and his pureblood agenda. Each one knew the risk, but each one had hoped that Professor Dumbledore and Harry Potter would be victorious. Now they had to leave the Ministry and possibly the country as soon as they can collect their families.

“All of you will need to go home and collect your families,” said Rookwood. “The King of Magic…,”

“There’s no bloody King of Magic,” said an Unspeakable.

“Avada Kedavra,” shouted Rookwood. His wand was out and he had killed the Unspeakable in barely a blink of an eye. “The Dark Lord has declared himself the King of Magic. If you want to live, you will pledge yourself to his service before leaving here today, and bring your family in tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. If any of you don’t you will be hunted down and punished severely.”

Gregory wanted to pull his wand and kill him, but he wasn’t sure who else would defend the Death Eater. He had no choice. He along with all these maintenance workers must flee for their lives. He hoped that Madam Bones was well enough to help them. With her on their side he still felt as if they had a chance.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Fenrir Greyback landed in the middle of Hogsmeade and started walking towards The Three Broomsticks. The reporter from the Prophet appeared a few seconds later. He was a spineless git, who was accompanying them. Fenrir smiled at the memory of the git’s reaction when he was told he was to accompany the pack of werewolves on a hunt tonight, at least he didn’t soil his pants.

The person he was looking for was leaving the pub now. Jace Arkzen was the most trusted member of the pack. Jace was taller than he, but he was slighter built with black hair. They both had accepted their Lycanthropy as a blessing rather than a curse. It was all so simple and so many of their kind refuse to believe or accept it. Once you accept that you are a predator, the transformations are not as painful, and you also keep more of your mind while transformed. You retain many of the advantages while not transformed. He and Jace had abnormal strength, hearing and smell. They were the best trackers in the pack. Nature was designed with a balance between predators and food. They accepted their roles without question.

“Fenrir, the pack is eager and hungry,” said Jace. “I understand we are hunting for the Mudbloods that escaped Hogwarts.”

“There will be others with them, but the Mudbloods will be the easiest to track. Their stench should still be lingering. Are you ready to track?”

“Yeah, but who is that?” Jace pointed at the reporter. “A snack?”

“I am a re-re-reporter for the…,” the git stammered before Fenrir stopped his babbling.

“We can’t eat the git. The King wants this massacre to be reported in the morning paper. We will see how smart this git is, if he survives the night.”

“My name is…,”

“Git. Keep up, if you can’t run then watch us and Apparate to us,” he snarled at the reporter while baring his yellowed teeth. “I think we will start from here and loop around the grounds heading east then north. We have a lot of ground to cover before nightfall.”

Fenrir Greyback, Jace Arkzen, and the reporter took off running away from Hogsmeade. The two werewolves had their noses in the air sniffing for the scent of Mudbloods, with the reporter panting behind him.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Your Highness,” said Rookwood reverently as he knelt in front of Voldemort. “I have good news and some bad to tell you.”

“What is the bad news,” Voldemort hissed. He was tired of hearing how Dumbledore had been thwarting his every move, even from his grave.

“I think many members of the maintenance department were involved in the resistance,” Rookwood said without raising his head. “The destruction was too well planned. The Unspeakables are the brightest of our society, and yet it took them days to repair the hallway that was collapsed. The Magical Transportation Department’s destruction was also too well planned.”

“Find the sympathizers, Augustus,” he told one of his oldest and most faithful servants. “I want them executed in the Atrium, so all can see what happens when they oppose me.”

An argument could be heard from the area of the lifts. Voldemort looked up to see who was making so much noise. He didn’t recognize the voice. Rookwood and Bella pulled their wands.

“You must wait here,” shouted one of the guards.

“I must see him. It is urgent,” said a reedy voice from the other side of the barrier.

A guard stepped around the barrier and knelt before him. “Your Highness, a man from the Financial Department insists on seeing you.”

“Did he say why he needs to see me?”

“He just said it was urgent, Your Highness.”

“Send him in and it had better be important for his sake.”

The guard stood up and with his head still bowed and walked around the barrier. “Get in there and it had better be important.”

“I assure you it is very important,” said the reedy voice.

A short plump wizard wearing expensive robes walked around the barrier. He was standing up straight and stared his King in the face before lowering his head. “Your Highness,” he said.

“Why are you barging in here without an appointment?”

“I am Marion Selwyn from the Financial Department, your Highness. We have a problem. Gringotts has closed and we cannot access our accounts. We do not keep enough money at the Ministry to run it for even one day. You need to talk to the Goblins. We need access to the Ministry’s gold.”

Anger filled Voldemort. Had Macnair failed him too? “Where is Macnair?” he shouted. “He was supposed to have taken control of Gringotts.”

“I have not heard from him. I have been busy bringing order to the Ministry,” said Rookwood.

“I want Macnair found!” he shouted. “Get out of here, before I kill you.”

The plump wizard from the Financial Department stood up and ran away. Rookwood stood there defying his last order.

“I told you to leave, Augustus,” he hissed.

“I thought you may want to know that everything in the Department of Mysteries is where it should be,” Rookwood said before quickly leaving the area in front of the throne.

Voldemort exhaled slowly. It was a relief that the Horcrux was undisturbed. He was beginning to fear that Dumbledore had figured out that he had made Horcruxes to gain immortality. Evidently he had not figured that out. It wasn’t surprising. The old fool was too noble to even consider magic as dark as a Horcrux. That was his greatest weakness. He couldn’t think like one who thirsts for whatever power was available to them.

“Your Highness, I should go and see what is wrong at Gringotts. I need to ensure everything is in its proper place in my vault,” Bellatrix said.

“Yes, my Queen you should check on your vault.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Gregory Bright and Reg Cattermole stared at the place that they had left Amelia Bones. She was not there and they had no clue as to where she might have gone. She most certainly hadn’t been captured because that would have meant that the maintenance workers would have been questioned. She must have gone somewhere, but they had no idea which direction to start looking for her.

“Let’s go towards the Atrium. If she heard about Voldemort calling the citizens in to the Ministry, then she may have gone there,” Gregory whispered to Reg.

“You don’t think she might have tried to leave the Ministry?” asked Reg in hushed tones.

“I hope not. She was too injured to attempt that.”

“I don’t know, Madam Bones is one tough old bird,” said Reg. “Don’t tell her I said that, alright.”

“Yeah Reg, I won’t tell her,” Gregory had a hard time to keep from laughing at his friend’s comment.

“Because I already heard,” whispered Amelia Bones. She was limping back from the direction of the Atrium. “Don’t worry Reg. I have been called worse. Why are you two in here?”

“We have finished the cleanup of the Ministry,” Gregory told her. “We need to leave and go into hiding. I think Rookwood may have figured out that the maintenance workers were the resistance. The other workers went home to collect their families and go into hiding. We came to get you two and get out of here. Do you think Potter Manor will be safe?”

“I don’t think we have much of a choice right now. I will Patronus Arthur Weasley and let him know we are coming.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Fenrir and Jace had been running for nearly four hours. It was a pace that regular humans would never be able to keep up. Being werewolves, they could run for hours. Even with the extra endurance from their Lycanthropy they were getting tired. What was driving them on was the scent of Mudbloods. The scent was getting stronger with each stride. They were getting closer to their objective. However, they needed to get something to drink.

Fenrir picked up the scent of water, and something else. It was the scent of a dead human. The scent of death seemed to be coming from the same direction as the water. There was a line of trees up to the left. It looked like a natural location for a stream.

“You smell that?” asked Jace.

“The scent of water or the scent of a dead man?” said Fenrir.

“Both, I am getting thirsty and a little hungry.”

Fenrir smiled at Jace’s comment. “Yeah, I am hungry, but I am waiting for tonight’s feast.”

Jace laughed a growling laugh as they slowed their pace. The dead person was now directly in front of them. As they neared the trees, the reporter appeared behind them.

“Have you found them?”

“No, we are thirsty,” snapped Fenrir. This reporter bothered him. If the King hadn’t demanded his presence, he would be dead right now. He saw the body of a dead wizard in a thicket. He grabbed corpse’s left arm and pulled on it. He let out a low growl as the Dark Mark appeared.

“You know him?” asked Jace.

“I think his name is Mangus, or something like that.” Fenrir pulled the body a little further out of the thicket. “It looks like Muggles killed him. Look at the holes, from those bloody weapons they use.”

“What are you going to do with him?” asked the reporter.

“I was going to have a bite, but I would rather save my hunger for tonight,” said Jace glaring at the reporter. “You can have a bite if you want to.”

The reporter stared at the dead man and turned a slight shade of green. “No, I am not hungry. How long until you find the — the traitors?”

“I have no idea. They are not that far in front of us. That much I do know,” said Fenrir, and he knelt down over the small stream and started to lap up the water. Jace joined him. After they drank enough to hold them, he looked at the reporter. “Time to go.”

Fenrir never looked back to see if the reporter was following him. It was that git’s responsibility to keep up. A gentle breeze blew the scent of Mudbloods his direction. He could tell that there were girls in the group. He started salivating just thinking about tonight’s kill.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur Weasley was pacing the floor in the map room. He was anxious because he hadn’t heard from Minerva and the children for two days. He knew they were traveling from Hogwarts, but he wasn’t sure where they were. He wanted to get them to safety, but he needed to have some indication of their location.

Harry, Ginny, and Molly had returned to Egypt this morning, so Ginny could study the scrolls of the Atlantean. Arthur didn’t know what he thought about that situation. He grew up in the magical community so what many Muggles would consider strange and amazing, he considered commonplace. What happened to his daughter was, to him, both amazing and strange. Starting with her bonding with Harry and their growth spurt of their preteen bodies so they could accommodate their new magical core. The powers that the two possess were fantastic even in the world of magic. Now the fact that a person from an ancient and extinct race had placed themselves in a magically sealed room so they could pass down information, knowledge, and magical power to Ginny was even more incredible. She can now read a language that has been dead to the world for over five thousand years. His understanding and beliefs had been pushed to their limits. He could also include Voldemort making so many Horcruxes to his list of things he never imagined seeing in his life.

A silvery light appeared before him, it morphed into a badger and started to talk.

“Arthur, I hope you are well. I survived, but have bad news to tell you. Voldemort has declared himself the King of Magic. Starting tomorrow at noon, he will send Greyback out to hunt down anyone who does not swear fealty to him. Don’t send me a Patronus. It will reveal my location.”

Arthur stood there stunned at the news. He shouldn’t be, because it was exactly the type of thing that Voldemort would do. He was happy to hear that Amelia had survived the battle, but the news about Greyback worried him. He needed to contact Harry and Ginny. They needed to locate the children and get them inside of the protections of Potter Manor.

His skin turned clammy with one thought. “When is the full moon?” he asked Mad-eye.

“Tonight, we need to get those kids to safety tonight,” shouted Moody. “Why hasn’t Minerva contacted us. I don’t want to send her a Patronus where it might reveal their position. It will be dark in almost two hours.”

Arthur looked out at the horizon beyond the estates grounds. The sun was slowly sinking into the west. They didn’t have much time to find them and bring the children here to safety.

“I think if they don’t contact us in the next hour, we should tell them to stay where they are tonight and we will locate them in the morning,” Arthur suggested to Alastor.

He also walked up beside Arthur and looked out the window. “There is no telling where they are. It could take us half the day tomorrow to find them. Hopefully, the Professor’s know some good wards and protective shields. Reports had been filtering in that Greyback recruited over fifty werewolves. Many of them he had changed only in the past few months. Those are the ones that are usually the most violent and uncontrollable.”

“Thank you for reminding me of that, Alastor,” said Arthur heavily. “My children are out there with a pack of fifty werewolves.”

“Yeah, but it is a big country. Chances are the pack won’t be within a hundred miles of your children.”

Alastor placed his hand on Arthur’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze. Arthur looked at his old friend. He knew it was a big country. “If it is such a big country than why does trouble always seem to find my family. Except for the twins, we don’t go looking for it.”

Moody laughed a rumbling laugh. “That’s why I am a bachelor.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Fenrir and Jace were walking on all fours while sniffing the ground. They had a good fresh scent and tracks to match. With each second they were getting closer to their prey. They needed to hurry and locate them because the sun was going down in about an hour. Once everyone transformed they would no longer be able to Apparate.

They had reached the top of a little hill and was starting down the other side into a small valley or dell. The tracks that they were following were leading straight to the low area of the dell. There was a small section of trees growing in an area where a stream seemed to originate. It looked like a perfect place to set up a camp for a group of traitors running from the King.

“Jace, I bet they are down there,” he said with a low growling whisper. “Let’s split up and check tracks around there. If we happen on a trail on the other of that patch of trees, we will just pick up the trail again.”

“If we don’t?” asked Jace.

“Then we will have them trapped. I will stay and keep a watch to ensure they don’t leave. You can go back and get the pack. Side-along four, then you can stay and they can go back and each can get four more. We should have all hundred here before sundown. Make sure they all Apparate on the other side of that hill we just came over. It should block the noise.”

Fenrir had just finished talking when the reporter appeared with a loud pop. Fenrir and Jace were on all fours in the high grass, so the reporter didn’t see him immediately.

“Hello…,” the reporter was only able to say one word, before Fenrir pounced on him.

Fenrir luckily was facing the direction and was close enough to this stupid git to reach him before he gave their location away. He had his hand clamped firmly over the reporter’s mouth and was laying on him. The reporter was a small boned man, he almost felt about the size of a girl.

“We are close,” growled Fenrir. He saw fear in the reporter’s face who was struggling to free his mouth of Fenrir’s hand. “You had better not have given away our location to the Mudbloods and Muggle lovers down there or I will eat you on the next full moon.” He saw the reporter’s eyes bulge out in fear. He knew the reporter had heard him correctly. “Good, now be quiet as we determine where they are at. Once we locate them, I would advise you to find a high tree and crawl up into it, or you might get eaten tonight.”

“Fenrir,” whispered Jace. “Did you see that?”

Fenrir let go of the reporter and turned to his fellow werewolf. “I didn’t see anything. What was it?”

“There was a silver streak that went straight to that bunch of trees.”

Fenrir crawled on the ground to look down into the trees. He couldn’t see anyone in there, but he was sure they were there. He could smell them and almost taste them. A silver streak sounded like someone was sending a Patronus. He heard the Order sends messages using Patronuses. It would make sense that they were communicating with each other. As he was staring at the trees another silver streak appeared this one went from the trees eastward. There was no doubt now where the children were.

“Go get the pack, Jace. It is almost time for a feast.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Minerva McGonagall stepped out of her tent looking for Pomona and Filius. She had to tell everyone they were staying here tonight. Most of the students were still in their tents. Two that were not were the Weasley twins. One of them looked at her and then whispered something in the ear of the other. They both broke out laughing while looking at her. She wanted to march over there and ask what they thought was so funny, but she had other things to do right now.

“Well, Minerva, that is certainly a change in your appearance,” said Pomona. “Letting your hair down?”

She realized that she had taken down her bun to sleep but didn’t put it up again before leaving the tent. With a quick swipe of her wand her hair wrapped and tied into her traditional bun. She realized what the twins were laughing about.

“I had an urgent message from Arthur Weasley. He wants us to stay where we are. They will find us tomorrow and transport us to Potter Manor,” she said to her friend. She lowered her voice. “Voldemort is supposed to send Fenrir Greyback and his pack out to hunt down people who oppose him.”

“Oh my,” said the Herbology Professor.

“Yes, I agree. I tried to tell them where we are, but who knows how long it will be before they find us. For now, we need to tell the children that we are staying here for the night. I need to find Filius to tell him to check our wards to ensure they are secure. Tonight is a full moon; we probably should not have planned to traveling this night anyway.”

“You certainly don’t think Greyback would be looking for us already?” Pomona asked.

“I would not be surprised. I doubt Voldemort would be too happy that we escaped him. He must certainly have realized that we are moving as a unit in this area. Let us hope that there are too many other things drawing his attention to be looking for us.”

The two Professors went about the camp informing every one of the change in plans. The House Elves started making a meal. Filius went around and checked his wards. Most of the students seemed happy with the news. Justin Finch-Fletchley was not happy. He wanted to call his parents, but that would have to wait. The House Elves had quickly cooked several chickens over an open fire and baked dozens of potatoes. They even had the pans with them to cook green beans. It was a perfect evening meal, but it felt strange eating this so soon after waking up. The sun was sinking behind the horizon bringing out the first stars of the night.

“Everyone, I have a few announcements to make,” Minerva stood up to address everyone. “We need to put the fires out tonight and keep the noise down. We must go unnoticed. I received a notice from the Order of the Phoenix that Voldemort has sent out patrols looking for people who would oppose him. The Order wants us to stay here for the night and they will find us tomorrow. After that we will decide on individual basis what will happen to each of you.”

The House Elves went around putting the fires out in the camp. As the fires were extinguished, the stars filled the night sky. It was a beautiful night, until the first howl. The moon was rising behind her. The howl though came from her left. Several of the students started to talk nervously.

“Hush, be quiet and maybe it won’t notice us,” she whispered to them.

The second howl was to her right and she snapped her head, to stare at where the howl came from. What was the possibility that there were two werewolves in one location? The third and fourth howl erased any doubt, as they came from different directions. They were now surrounded by werewolves. The students were now in a full panic. Her heart was pounding out of her chest. There were more howls coming around them.

“Merlin, how many are there,” Pomona shouted.

Hearing her friend and fellow Professor in a panic made her realize that she needed to take charge, but she was frozen in place. It didn’t matter how afraid she was, everyone needed her be strong for them. She looked around and saw people staring out at the horizon. Werewolves were rising up out of the fields surrounding them. They were silhouetted up against the bright starry sky. It was a sight that further struck fear in her and increased the panic and crying in the camp. The howls had increased as more werewolves transformed. She did not know there were this many werewolves in Britain. They were stretching showing their long arms and claws against the bright night sky. The sight of the werewolves walking down the hills towards them forced her to act. She sent off a Patronus to the Order, but it reflected off the wards.

“Filius, I need to send a Patronus,” she shouted.

“I can put an opening in the top of them. The werewolves can’t climb trees,” the Charms Professor shouted back to her. He waved his wand several times before pointing it at the wards directly above him. “You have your opening, Minerva.”

She sent her Patronus off again this time it went out through the opening. “Filius will the wards still hold them?”

“I do not know? The wards are mainly to hide us from enemies. It should hold them for some time, but we are not at Hogwarts.”

“It will have to hold,” she said to the Charms Professor. “Everyone, to the center of camp,” she shouted louder than she ever shouted before in her life. “We must all come to the center of the camp. House Elves, can you start fires around the camp, it may help protect us.”

Everyone seemed frozen in place. She could only assume it was out of fear. The House Elves were the first ones to move. They used their magic to move dead wood into small bonfires around the perimeter of the camp.

“Students, you need to move,” she shouted again. “Percy and Penelope, you need to help get things organized. Cedric, please help out. Move the youngest children to the center of the camp and the older abler ones surround them.”

The students she yelled at started to move and get other people organized. She was trying to think of different ways they could defend the children from getting bitten or worse when Miss Lovegood approached her.

“Professor McGonagall, shouldn’t we be making silver weapons to fight the werewolves?”

“I am afraid we don’t have any silver for weapons?”

“I have ten silver Sickles. I can make these into arrowheads,” the young Ravenclaw said. She was holding her hand out with ten Sickles in it.

Minerva was slightly embarrassed that she hadn’t thought of turning Sickles into weapons. “Everyone, if you have any Sickles bring them to me. We will need as many wooden sticks as we can gather.”

People turned to look at her with puzzled expressions on their faces. The older students were able to put everything together as realization showed on their faces. They were searching through their robes and asking other students for Sickles while others started picking up sticks.

There was a loud roar followed by a series of thuds. The firelight showed werewolves colliding with the wards. Thankfully, the magical shields were holding them out. The werewolves were unrelenting as they continued to smash against them. They clawed at the magical barrier and tried to bite their way through it. It seemed as though they were completely surrounded by werewolves. They were even clawing over each other sometimes one werewolf would stand on the back of the other.

The firelight glinted off their amber eyes and saliva covered yellowed fangs. Many of the younger children were now huddled together in the center of the camp whimpering and crying while holding each other. The older children had gathered handfuls of Sickles and armfuls of branches. They were looking at her expectantly. She must force down her fear of being ripped apart by werewolves and lead them against this ravenous pack.

“Percy, Penelope, Cedric, Fred and George, I know you are good at Transfiguration. I need these sticks extended and have a silver point put on the end. To make the point we will…,”

“You need to make the Sickle look like this,” said Luna. She had made a perfect arrow with a silver tip with two sharp barbs pointing backwards so it had three sharp points. I will show you how to make one. It only takes a second; well naturally it takes longer than that. It isn’t hard….”

Luna stopped because there was a loud vicious growling coming from the right. Minerva looked over and saw three of the werewolves fighting each other there was blood splattered up on the ward from the fighting werewolves.

Minerva had never seen anything so vicious in her life. Once again the fear of those claws and fangs, froze her in her place. She was clutching onto her wand praying that help would come or the wards would hold. Her hand was gripping so tight to her wand that her knuckles were white. She couldn’t let fear paralyze her. She had to lead these people she had to protect the children. She must do what was right.

“Children turn away from the wards,” she said with a shaky breath. She just hoped that she didn’t sound as frightened as she felt.

With the sound of the fighting werewolves behind her, she turned back to address her older students. To her surprise, Miss Lovegood had already showed them how to make arrows and spears with a silver tip on it, made from a Sickle. Percy made the point. Penelope was attaching the point on the spears that Fred, George, and Cedric were making out of sticks. They had already made ten spears and it looked as if they had Sickles to make another twenty.

Luna was slowly making arrows. She was forming the shaft, point, and the fletches one at a time. With each step, she would stop and hold the object in her upstretched palms and whisper something. She was slowly moving along, but she was making progress. She had already created a bow out of a fallen tree limb and a few strands of her own hair, and she had six arrows in her quiver.

Minerva looked over at Percy who had just created the last spear point. She inclined her head towards Luna; hoping that Percy would understand. He shook his head negatively and walked towards her.

“She insists on making the arrows her own way,” Percy whispered to her when he was close enough. “She is praying to Demeter the Greek Goddess of the hunt. Insists that in another lifetime she was a huntress with the God.” He rolled his eyes at her.

“Oh very well, hopefully she remembers how to use that bow if the Shields break?”

“Shouldn’t the werewolves have moved on?” asked Percy. “I always thought they were mindless creatures looking to attack something.”

Minerva looked at the Head Boy. “Normally, they are, but this is a pack. The Alpha male has them organized to keep them trying to fight through the wards. I am afraid that they will keep trying to get to us until they succeed or the sun comes up.”

“Any idea if we will be getting any help?” Percy asked her.

“I sent your Father a Patronus, but Scotland is a large place.”

Back to index


Chapter 37: The Massacre - Fighting for Survival

Author's Notes: I have tried three different times to write something to introduce this chapter, but all I could come with is "here is the second part".
Many thanks to Leif for checking over this chapter.


Harry ran across the foyer of Potter Manor in England with Ginny, Molly, Bill, and Sirius. Remus had remained in Morocco in a cage and under the influence of Wolfsbane. He wondered if Voldemort planned his attack on the Ministry with the upcoming full moon in his plans. It just seemed too much of a coincidence that he had planned on having Greyback use his pack to hunt dissenters after he overthrew the Ministry. Voldemort had planned his overthrow and ultimate control of the Ministry well.

They entered the map room to see several people leaning over a table. Arthur raised his head to greet them, but his smile quickly faded to a frown.

“Who is watching Xenon?” he nearly shouted. “Ginny, you cannot go on this mission. It might take all night and into tomorrow. Molly….”

“Stop right there, Father,” said Ginny with a growl. “My baby is well taken care of and you need me on this mission. You know we are stronger with me than without me.”

“Molly,” Arthur said to his wife, obviously looking for support from her.

“Our grandchild is well taken care of, Arthur, and I already had this argument with her.”

Arthur stood there looking at his wife then Ginny before finally staring at Harry. Harry smiled at his father-in-law. “My son is well taken care of until morning.”

“Can we get on with the planning?” asked Moody.

“Yes, yes, everyone gather around the table,” said Arthur.

As Harry approached the table, he could feel Ginny’s feeling of contentment wash over him. They had already made plans for Xenon. He had to trust Ginny’s instincts as a mother and also her new found knowledge.

He looked at the table. It had been changed into a relief map of the area around Hogwarts. There was a wide arc highlighted in yellow and multiple locations marked with red dots.

“The yellow area is the estimated area that the students could be. They said they were traveling due east and they had traveled an estimated twenty-five miles between the two days. That would put them right there,” Moody pointed at an area in the approximate middle of the yellow arc.

“As you can see there are no red dots in that area. The red dots are areas that would match the description of where Minerva said they were camping.” Moody pointed to one of more than thirty dots contained in the yellow area.

“We will Apparate to this location.” He pointed at a point closest to Hogwarts. “Four of us will take to the air with brooms and these little devices.” He held up a small black box. It had a red button on it. “This device when activated will send out a signal to let us know exactly where they are.”

“It is a GPS system. It will give us an exact location by latitude and longitude which I will pick up using this.” He held up another box with a screen and multiple buttons on it.

“This is going to be tricky to find them. They will hopefully be warded so we may not be able to see them and it is in a remote location. You may have to listen for the growling and howling of wolves.”

“Harry and I need to be on two of those brooms,” said Ginny. “I can sense people and he can detect magic that few others can. We could detect the students without needing to see them.”

“I’ll take one of the brooms,” said Bill.

“Alright, Potters take the area right here. Bill you cover the area to the South and Sirius, cover the area to the North.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny and Harry had taken to the air only about five minutes ago. They were heading slightly north of due east to the first possible location that matched Professor McGonagall’s description. They were to follow a zig-zag pattern until they found a small farm that had two barns on its property. At that point they were to swing around to the west and follow a similar pattern until they reached the western border of the search area.

They had only been in the air for five minutes before Harry became impatient. He wanted this search to be over now.

“Relax, Love, one of us will find them,” she said to him through their bond.

Harry stared down at the instruments that had been attached to his broom. They were following the exact directions detailed by Moody and were going a little faster than he had demanded they should be flying. It felt like they were crawling just above the treetops.

“There is no telling how long their wards will holdout, Ginny. If we cannot reach them before the wards fall, the werewolves will rip them apart.”

“Professor McGonagall is resourceful and my brothers and their friends are with them. They will be able to hold out.”

Harry could feel the fear in her thoughts. He didn’t want to upset her, but he couldn’t hold the thought back. “How long will they be able to hold out? We must find them, and destroy Greyback’s pack once and for all. We can’t have him going around biting people to populate his personal army.”

“Harry, there is something I need to tell you,” her thoughts were full of concern. “We can’t kill now.”

“We never intentionally did.”

“We cannot kill even by accident. There is something I keep sensing in the memories of the Atlantean. Since he transferred some of his magic to me, my magic is more like his than mine. They could not take a life using their magic or they would become dark. Harry, your magic and mine are now bonded together. If you kill, it may affect me the same way.”

He kept flying trying to sort through everything she had just told him. He had no idea or time to even try to understand the ramifications of what the Atlantean had done. His concern right now was to protect the children from being ripped apart by werewolves. “What can we do with them?”

“Stun them, bind them and Portkey them back to Egypt to be held with the rest of the prisoners. Harry, please we must do this. I have a feeling that something terrible will happen to us if you or I kill any of these werewolves.”

“All right, we won’t kill the werewolves.” He held his thoughts and concerns inside of him for several minutes without conversing through their bond. Maybe Ginny hadn’t thought about their ultimate mission. How are they going to destroy Voldemort if they can’t kill him?

“I am working on a plan, Harry. You should have realized that you can’t hide your thoughts from me.”

“Blast it, we just passed the first point.” He nearly shouted. ,“Let’s loop back around….”

“Don’t bother, there isn’t anyone down there. The nearest person to us is in that farmhouse to our left.”

Harry glanced to his left and saw a dot of light against a distant hillside. It had to be nearly a mile away. “I hope the other two have better luck. We better move on.”

Turning his broom in the direction of the next location, they quietly flew over the treetops.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Headmistress, if it would please you, could you grant me some time?” asked the eldest House Elf.

Minerva barely heard it speaking as it kept its head down while speaking to her. She stared at it for several seconds trying to remember its name. “I have some time. What do you need to say?”

“I is wondering what we elves should do if the wards should fall?” he asked while wringing his hands.

Minerva blinked at it. Again, she was caught off guard by the question. Her ability to plan things had always relied upon a certain amount of routine. She had no idea how to answer the House Elf. This entire trip was outside of her field of expertise. “I would assume you would want to fall back with the rest of us and help defend against the werewolves.”

“Thank Professors, thank you, you are more gracious,” the House Elf said profusely while bowing to her.

“You didn’t think I would let all of you stand out there in front of us and take the brunt of the first wave of werewolves do you?”

The House Elf ducked his head again. “We would have stayed if yous had asked us to.”

Minerva was almost offended at the accusation. Then she thought about people like the Malfoy’s who wouldn’t hesitate to have the House Elves sacrifice themselves to protect them. “Please stand beside us and help fend off the werewolves.”

“Thank yous, Headmistress. Thank yous…,” The House Elf stopped talking then became very scared again. “Wes can’t kill, Headmistress. Oh, its is better for a House Elf to die on a battle field than to take another creatures life. It is a terrible thing Headmistress.”

Minerva was getting frustrated with the little Elf. “Go and tell the other Elves that they may join our ranks if the wards fail.”

Looking through the wards into the darkness she could see the werewolves attacking the wards. So far the wards have held, but for how long she wondered.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Arthur stood there and stared out into the night. Everyone else was sitting and waiting for a signal from one of the searchers. There had been no response so far. They had to find the children before Greyback and his pack get to them. He shuddered at the thoughts of all those children being savaged by werewolves.

He felt a hand on the small of his back. “It’s all right dear. We will find them, and they will be safe.”

“I wish I had your confidence Mollywobbles. Every minute we wait, is another minute the children don’t have.”

“I thought werewolves were rather mindless creatures,” said Clyde Ferndock. “They may have moved on to other victims.”

Arthur turned to look at the Squib crouched over a directional finder waiting for it to beep and reveal the location of the children. “I want my children to be safe, but I also want everyone magical or Muggle to be safe from them too.”

“That is a very noble way of thinking….” Clyde was cut off by Alastor jumping out of the conjured chair he just made.

“We have someone approaching from the North.”

“Is it Sirius?” asked Molly.

“I don’t know yet. Hold it,” he said quickly. His magical eye spun around to point the opposite direction. “We also have someone approaching us from the South.”

“Is it Bill?” shouted Molly.

“Just calm down woman,” he barked at her. “It may be Bill. We must get ready in case they are not who we think they are.”

“Voldemort’s spies?” questioned Molly. “Certainly not!”

“Constant Vigilance, Molly,” growled Moody.

“Don’t go blasting anyone out the sky without knowing which side they are on, especially my children.”

Sirius appeared first from the North. He sat his broom down and handed over the GPS signaling device. “The moon is bright enough to see that there weren’t any other locations that matched Minnie’s description.”

Within two minutes, Bill sat down. He also didn’t find any indication of other possible hiding locations.

“I think Bill and I should take these and go west for at least five miles before splitting up to search for them. We are what twenty miles from Hogwarts. I find it hard to believe that they were able to cover twenty miles in two days with all those children.”

“I don’t like it. We should all stick together,” stated Molly. She was standing there with her arms crossed glaring at Sirius.

Sirius went to open his mouth but a bright silver light made him stop talking. A badger Patronus appeared in front of Arthur. It spoke with Amelia’s voice.

“Arthur, I need to know if Potter Manor is safe. I need to know as soon as possible. I need to find a place of refuge for over fifty wizards and witches. Let me know.”

“Well, if anyone didn’t know where we are. They know now,” huffed Moody. “She couldn’t have sent it at a more inconvenient time.”

Arthur flicked his wand and sent off a return Patronus, before addressing Moody. “I may have been in bed asleep if it wasn’t for this hunt. I may have not even heard that Patronus. I wonder why she sent it so late.”

“You lot can stay here and debate why Madam Bones sent the Patronus. I am going to search to the west of here for the children,” said Sirius.

“I am going too,” said Bill.

“All right, we will fly two hundred yards apart and for five miles. At five miles, you go South and I will go North.”

“Good luck to you,” said Clyde.

“Send a Patronus if Harry and Ginny find them.”

“I’ll try not to startle you two,” said Moody with a malevolent smile.

They watched the two men disappear into the night sky. Arthur was feeling particularly nervous. He had always hated werewolves, particularly Fenrir Greyback. Many families had their lives torn apart because of him.

“What the…, they shouldn’t be back here so soon. They had twice as many locations to check on,” Moody said as his magical eye caught sight of Harry and Ginny returning.

Everyone watched as Harry and Ginny landed their brooms. Harry was the first to ask if the Bill and Sirius had found anyone. When they said no, he turned to look at Ginny. ”I say we check that location out.”

“Harry that is fifteen miles due East from here. They would have had to cover over fifteen miles a day while hiding from Death Eaters. That is nearly impossible to cover that much space in a large group.”

“I felt the presence of magic in an area where Muggles live. There is someone magical out there,” insisted Harry. “Did you sense anything, Ginny.”

Ginny tried to get out of the conversation, but she couldn’t lie, because Harry would catch her and make her to tell the truth. “There was someone out there, Harry. I couldn’t tell how many or even their emotional state they were so far away.”

“I say we go for it,” insisted Harry. “We won’t find them unless we expand our search area.”

“All right Harry, I hope we find them and not a large magical family that no one knows about,” sighed Ginny as she remounted her broom. “Upward and Onward,” she said before pushing off into the sky with Harry right beside her.

Molly looked up at them. “I hope they are successful.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Professor, you need to wake up. Professor, wake up please,” said a persistent voice.

Minerva opened her eyes to see Luna standing over top of her. Her expression was grave which startled Minerva since this girl always looked so dreamy eyed.

“What is wrong?”

“I think the werewolves have devised a different plan to break our wards,” she said. “I’ll wake the others.” Luna scurried off.

Minerva looked at her watch to see what time it was. It was a little past two in the morning. They only needed to hold off for three more hours and the full moon would be over. A loud thud brought her out of foggy thoughts. There was another thud followed by several more thuds. Squinting to see through the fire and into the shadows surrounding their camp she saw what was causing the thuds. The werewolves were hurtling large stones at the wards. Each one would collide with it with extreme force.

“Oh my, that isn’t good,” squeaked Professor Flitwick.

“How long will the wards hold up Filius?” she asked the Charms expert.

“I am amazed they have held up this long.”

“That was not reassuring, Filius.”

“It was truthful, Minerva.”

Amplifying her voice, she started shouting out orders. She had the House Elves all fall back to the central area of their camp. The Elves tossed all the remaining wood onto the fires turning them into raging infernos. She had as many students as possible holding spears. So many students were too young or afraid to hold the spears that there ended up being only about ten students wiling to use the spears.

“Remember, don’t let the werewolves break the tip off the spear. It will be useless,” shouted Luna.

Minerva looked at Luna standing on a stump surrounded by arrows that were stuck into the trunk. She didn’t remember there being that many silver sickles to make as many arrows as what she had surrounding her.

“I cut my sickles in half, the tips still have points, but they are much thinner now.,” she said to Minerva, as though Luna could read her mind.

There was a loud thud unlike any of the others that she was hearing. She looked in the direction of the sound and saw a large field stone laying between two of the bonfires.

“Merlin, the wards just broke,” whispered Filius.

It was as if the werewolves weren’t aware of the fact that the wards had fell. They sent several more stones through the area where the wards had been before there was a loud vicious growl from behind the pack. It was followed by several other growls and howls. The sounds must have been orders for the werewolves to attack.

“Circle the camp with fire Professors,” said Luna. She had an arrow nocked in the bow and three held between her teeth.

It took Minerva a few seconds to understand what the young girl was asking until it was almost too late. The werewolves ran through the section of ground that marked the wards boundary a few seconds ago. Minerva waved her wand in a circular motion causing the bonfires’ flames to swirl around and between the burning piles of wood creating a boundary of flames.

It may have been too late though as five werewolves had made it past the flames. There were running at full speed toward the children. Screams of fear filled the night. A few of those screams might even have been hers. She was too frightened to notice. The three werewolves in the lead quickly fell before they made it half the distance between the fire and the first line of defense. An arrow was sticking out of each of their chests. The other two went to the sides running as fast as they could. They ran even closer to the children. Minerva was helpless here; if she tried to stop the two werewolves, then the wall of flames would fall. If she didn’t stop the two werewolves, then some of the children might get hurt. Her conundrum was quickly over as Cedric and George drove their spears into the sides of the wolves.

The ring of fire was slowly burning itself out. Minerva’s spell casting arm was also getting tired. She won’t be able to keep the werewolves at bay much longer. Several more werewolves fought through the flames only to be shot with an arrow. Minerva’s arm was getting slower and the wall of flame was getting weaker, when a large group of werewolves forced themselves through it.

Luna again shot three or four of them in barely two seconds as they attacked the camp at a full out run. There were still six of them. The spears killed several more, before Professor Flitwick severed the heads of remaining two.

The howling increased along with the wailing of the young children surrounding her. The bonfires were almost gone now only charcoal and a few flames were left. The fanning of the flames had blocked the werewolves but also had made the fires burn more quickly. They would have to stand and fight now. There was nothing stopping the werewolves anymore.

And they came from all directions. She had never seen so many werewolves in all her years combined. Arrows were flying and stopping many of them in their tracks killing them instantly. The silver tipped spears were slowing them down giving her, Filius and several of the older students time to use Reducto Curses to remove the Werewolves heads, as that would also kill them. Pomona was holding onto the youngest children. She was to Apparate them away from here to protect them.

They were so close now that their musky scent nearly made Minerva gag. They stunk of sweat and saliva. Their yellow fangs flashed against the flames and spell fire. Their maniacal eyes added to the fear that they created. She saw no way out of here.

“Pomona, start taking the children away before it is too late,” she shouted to her friend.

She heard a pop pf Apparation and figured that it was Pomona leaving, but the second and third pop made her wonder what was happening. It wasn’t until the spell fire started dropping the werewolves from behind that she realized that the Order had found them. There were spells coming from the sky also as four people were flying over top of them firing spells at the werewolves to keep them away from the children.

“It’s the Potters,” said Pomona from somewhere to Minerva’s side. She looked around and saw Pomona and the young children looking up. When Minerva looked up she saw Harry and Ginny hovering side by side. They were firing off spells at a fantastic rate. They were able to keep the Werewolves backed away from the children on one half of the camp by themselves. Sirius and Bill were also hovering above them giving orders to the older children below to reinforce the side of the camp that Harry and Ginny wasn’t protecting.

It might have taken another half an hour to finish all of the werewolves. It seemed to take longer to Minerva. She was exhausted from the days of marching and spell casting had taken its toll on her. She was getting so light-headed that she stopped casting spells. She watched in amazement as Harry, Ginny, Sirius, and Bill were able to take command of the situation. They had arrived in time to save the children from harm. In the darkness other people were casting spells from behind the werewolves. Other Order members must be there. She was so happy and grateful for them all. Finally, she could start to relax the children will be safe.

A scream brought her out of her good thoughts. She turned to see who was screaming and ran towards the young woman. She saw Penelope Clearwater kneeling over someone while screaming for help. As Minerva approached her, she could see it was Percy Weasley on the ground and he was bleeding from the left side of his face and left shoulder.

“Help him Professor,” cried Penelope. “He shoved me out of the way.”

“That he did the great noble prat,” said Fred.

“You can’t call him that Fred, he was acting the hero. We will have to be nice to him, now.”

“Was he bitten?” she asked Penelope.

“No, he wasn’t but we better have Ginny look at that wound,” said Bill from above her. People were slowly closing in on them. Percy was on the ground trying to stop the flow of blood from his face.

“Hey, Gin-Gin, we need you over here. Percy is hurt,” shouted Bill.

Ginny seemed to drop straight down out of the air on her broom. She landed on both feet and gracefully stepped off her broom before kneeling by Percy. She waved her hand over his wounds. There were so many people talking that Minerva couldn’t hear what Ginny was saying.

“Silence,” she shouted. Everyone immediately stopped talking.

“That a girl Minnie, you still got it,” teased Sirius Black.

Minerva couldn’t help but smile at the young man’s cheek. “That meant you too Mr. Black.”

“Do you know which wolf it was?” Ginny asked Percy.

“It was that one,” he said pointing at a dead werewolf lying on the grass with an arrow sticking out of its eye. “He seemed to appear out of nowhere.”

“He came up through the grass. He was crawling low to keep from being seen,” said Luna. She was standing back on her stump in the middle of the camp. She still had one arrow knocked. “I’m sorry Percy and Penelope I couldn’t get a clean shot at him until he attacked you. I have been looking for him.”

“At least you got him before he bit Percy,” said Penelope.

“Percy, I am going to need to clean your wounds,” said Ginny sounding very grave. “I am going to need a couple of things first.” She turned and saw a couple of House Elves. She quickly spoke in some strange singsong voice that Minerva had never heard before. The two House Elves bowed wide-eyed at her before disappearing.

“What did you say to them sis?” asked Percy. “That didn’t sound like any language I’ve ever heard before.”

“Your sister full of surprises, Perce,” said Bill.

Molly Weasley came hustling into the circle of people. “Oh Percy,” she cried. She immediately went to hug Percy, but Ginny shouted at her.

“Mum! Let me clean his wounds first before you hug him.”

“But, he is bleeding Ginny. Why haven’t you stopped his bleeding?”

“His wounds need to be cleaned and immediately. I need to know if anyone else was injured by a werewolf. Ask around, if anyone was, please bring them to me.”

“Ginny, what aren’t you telling us?” asked Molly.

“Percy, I found traces of saliva on the werewolves claws. They may have been licking their paws to spread the Lycanthropy.”

The two House Elves reappeared holding a crystal flask half filled with a liquid that looked like it was water. Ginny took it from them and waved her hand over it. The liquid seemed to pulse with a blue light. “Excellent, thank you for getting this for me.”

The House Elves bowed to her and backed away. Minerva soon realized that all the House Elves were in this little grouping staring at Ginny. Ginny then did something strange. She held the flask up as though presenting it to the full moon and started to speak in that melodic language again. As she chanted, the liquid in the flask glowed bluer and bluer. It seemed to be taking the actual moonlight from the sky and capturing it in the liquid. After about a minute of her chanting, she lowered the flask and smiled at its contents.

“Percy, this will probably hurt, but it shall pull the Lycanthropy out of your blood.”

Ginny knelt down beside Percy and gently pulled away the bandage that he had pressed against his face. It was soaked red. Ginny lifted the flask and gently poured the blue glowing water onto Percy’s scratches. The water seemed to stick to his wound rather than running down over his clothes. Ginny kept moving the flask as she followed his cuts and scratches. The liquid clung to the damaged skin before disappearing into the scratches. They started glowing blue like the water Ginny had poured onto them. Percy let out a groan before he grimaced and let out a terrific scream. The liquid that that Ginny had poured onto his cuts was now spreading under his skin showing glowing blue veins as it spread up and down his arm and around his face. There was even a blue streak forming down his neck.

“Ginny,” Molly said staring at her.

“It is healing him, Mum. When it stops spreading I will extract it.”

Minerva stared at the spreading blue glow on Percy. When it appeared to have stopped, Ginny waved her hand and a large flask appeared in it. She gently placed the flask under the lowest cut on Percy’s arm and began to chant. The blue glow became increasingly smaller on Percy’s face and arm. Then a murky brown and green liquid started to seep out of the wound and it dripped at first then it literally poured out his body and into the flask. When finally, nothing else was coming out of Percy’s arm, Ginny sealed the flask before healing all of Percy’s scratches with just a wave of her hand.

Percy reached up and felt his face with his fingers. It was perfectly smooth. There was no sign of any scratches from the werewolves. “Am I going to have scars?” he asked.

“No Percy, you are all healed. There will be no indication that you were scratched by a werewolf,” Ginny said as she turned away from him.

Minerva smiled at Percy’s expression. It was obvious he was disappointed at not having scars to show people. Fred and George quickly figured it out and started taking the mickey out of him. She looked around the camp. It appeared that all the children were now safe. They just needed to get everyone back to Potter Manor.

“Stop what you are doing. Do not kill the werewolves that are tied up,” someone shouted from her right.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry had landed his broom and went after the young man who was attempting to cut the head off a tied up werewolf. “Stop what you are going. Don’t kill the werewolves that are tied up.”

The young man turned to him. Harry didn’t need Ginny’s powers of empathy to know this man was scared. He looked to take his fear out on defenseless creatures.

“If we don’t kill them they will hunt us down another day,” he said.

“All the werewolves that are not dead will be Portkeyed to a safe location. We will sort through them and figure out how many truly deranged werewolves there are,” Harry told the student.

“They are all deranged Professor. They are werewolves.”

“One of my best friends is a werewolf. He is not deranged because he takes Wolfsbane every month. Some of these creatures might also be victims. Fenrir Greyback has made it his mission in life to change as many people as he can. He is one werewolf that is truly evil.”

“Is he a large grey werewolf?” asked Luna from her stump. She was standing up there looking out over everyone’s heads with an arrow knocked on her bow.

“Yes, he is. He is also very tall and lanky.”

“He is the alpha male of this pack. I am watching for him. He needs to be eliminated, Harry.”

Harry stared at Ginny’s strange friend. She was standing there so relaxed looking for a werewolf to kill with her silver tipped arrow. He turned away and started to organize the werewolves. He was levitating the live ones and laying them side by side so he could hook a branch through there bindings and Portkey several of them at a time. He was finding as many dead werewolves as he was finding live ones. Many of them had been shot with an arrow. He looked back at Luna on her stump. She was staring out into the night searching for Greyback.

Harry had made an area large enough to line up the living werewolves. As he stared at them, he wondered how many had been bit recently by Greyback, and how many had felt they had no choice but to follow him.

“What are you thinking about?” Sirius, who was assisting him in organizing the werewolves, asked him.

“You were good friends to Remus. If it wasn’t for you and Dad. Remus may be in the pile somewhere, dead.”

“I would like to think that Remus would never have been in Greyback’s pack, but if things had been different…,” Sirius stared at the bodies laid out on the grass before them. “I don’t think Remus would have.”

“All I am hoping is that we can salvage one or two lives from this pack,” said Harry. “If we only save one life, it will have been worthwhile to not kill them. Two or more would just be topping on the cake.”

There was a twang of a bow string and a soft thud, that Harry could barely hear. The terrifying screams of pain from a wounded animal; turned Harry’s blood cold. Luna had a smile of satisfaction in her face. She looked so proud of hitting the werewolf stalking around in the high grass of the field.

“Fenrir Greyback, the Alpha Male of this pack, will be dead shortly,” Luna said with her singsong voice and she gently stepped down off the stump and walked away.

Greyback’s screams of agony lasted for another five minutes before he finally succumbed to the silver poisoning. Harry had heard it was supposed to be very painful way to die.

"Harry, I am taking several children back to Potter Manor. I will be leaving to get our baby after that. Are you going to stay here and transport the werewolves to Egypt?"

'Yes, Love. Give Xenon a kiss for me. I think I should stay in England for another day to help sort things out."

"Dad told me that Madam Bones is alive and bring some refugees to Potter Manor. Well, I am getting strange looks from people. I still can’t control my facial expressions when we converse like this."

"Love you, Ginny."

"Love you too, Harry."

Harry heard several pops of Apparation. The children will all be in Potter Manor and safe. What children the Order members couldn’t take the House Elves would transport.

The violet of the night sky was giving way to a softer blue with tinges of orange as the sun slowly started coming up. It will only be a matter of time before everyone here started to transform back to their human form.

Sirius was walking back towards the central camp floating the body of Fenrir Greyback ahead of him. The arrow was protruding from the small of his back. It probably took longer to kill him at that location. Truthfully, Harry didn’t care if it did hurt him more there than any other location. Greyback deserved all the pain that all his victims had felt over the years.

With a flick of his wrist, Sirius sent Greyback’s corpse flying onto a pile of werewolf corpses. “We really should get going. Do you want to burn all these bodies? We really should they will just rot and stink up the place.”

“That’s a nice cheery thought,” laughed Harry. “I am going to cast a preserving charm on them.”

“What? Why would you do that?”

Harry raised his wand so it pointed straight up at morning sky. “For years Voldemort has been spreading terror by using his Dark Mark. I think it is time we spread a little hope.”

A group of scarlet and gold sparks flew out of the end of his wand. They swirled around each other until finally forming a beautiful Phoenix of scarlet and gold. It glided around in the sky circling the pile of dead werewolves.

“He has his Dark Mark. We have the Phoenix,” said Harry. He bent over and started activating the Portkey’s that were attached to the werewolves, who were almost halfway transformed back to human form.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Blaine Bradshaw had his legs wrapped tightly around a tree limb. He needed both of his hands to write out his news article.

He had just watched Harry Potter himself create a magical entity. A Phoenix of scarlet and gold was circling in the sky marking the area that the Order of the Phoenix had massacred Voldemort’s werewolves. It had surprised him the Potter didn’t want all the werewolves eliminated. He actually seemed to care about their lives too.

The last of the live werewolves had just been Portkeyed away. Blaine couldn’t hear where they were going. Potter and Sirius Black also disappeared taking some supplies with them.

Blaine needed to finish this story and get it into the editor of the paper within the next hour so it could fill its spot on the front page.

Back to index


Chapter 38: Refugees

Author's Notes: Hello everyone, it has been a long time since the last chapter. I feel I need to write about this story, When I started it, what seems like, a long time ago, I never imagined it stretching out to this many chapters. However, it has grown to this size because I wanted to focus on how Harry and Ginny's Soul bond might affect all the characters.
As I was writing this chapter, I kept thinking that this was going to be rather boring to everyone. I could have ignored many of the story arcs in the chapter, but I wanted you readers to see what Voldemort's coup has done to many established members of the society.
I need to thank Leif for his Beta work, even though he has been very busy, and words of encouragement for telling me that this isn't a boring chapter.


Barnabas Cuffe Flooed into his office at the Daily Prophet. He was still in his night clothes and hadn’t even taken his first sip of tea. He started running as fast as he could towards Brian Bradshaw’s desk. He could see from across the open space that Bradshaw was sound asleep. That idiot has just angered the wrong person, if one could call the new King of Magic a person.

Greyback came and collected Bradshaw yesterday to help serve the new King of Magic. There would not be mercy shown to Bradshaw and him after the Daily Prophet announced that Harry Potter was still alive and leading the resistance to overthrow the government. Add to the fact that Potter and the Order of Phoenix killed some of Voldemort’s trusted servants.

Barnabas had built this paper up to the largest paper in magical Britain. He may have catered to sensationalism, but that is what the public wanted. It was all going to be destroyed because of the actions of some stupid twenty-year old reporter who thought everyone wanted truth in journalism. The people never wanted the truth. They want to read what they prefer to believe. The readers were the ones that determine what was the truth. If they want to believe that the King of Magic was their salvation, then he was the savior of the world. It doesn’t matter how sadistic and cruel he was, unless he loses.

Being a true Slytherin, Barnabas had planned on a series of articles that would tout the advantages of being led by Dumbledore’s disciples if he had won. Now all that planning had most likely gone to waste, because the King of Magic was not kind and merciful to those who did not do his will.

“Bradshaw!” he shouted at the stupid reporter.

“Waaa?” said Bradshaw as he lifted his head from the parchment covered desk.

“What did you think you were doing by posting this?”

“It was all true. It actually happened, Boss,” Bradshaw said excitedly.

“I don’t care if it actually happened, you imbecile. Do you know what…?” Cuffe stopped talking, as his Floo flared green in his office. He saw the outline of the King of Magic appear against the second and third flash of green.

“I hope you die in agony, because you have destroyed my paper,” Cuffe hissed angrily at the young reporter who looked clueless at why he was in trouble. The wall between his office and the reporter area exploded.

Cuffe turned on the spot to Apparate away, but he was blocked from doing so by Anti-Apparation Charms. As he heard his name being yelled by Bellatrix Lestrange, he had no other choice. He dove headlong out the nearest window. He felt the heat of a curse just miss him. His only hope of survival was to Apparate before he hit the ground three floors below. He used to do this as a young man. Jump out of his bedroom window and Apparate into the lake by his ancestral home. It was one of his favorite things to do.

The air was rushing past him as the paved street quickly approached. He turned in the air, but the Anti-Apparation wards reached even out to the street. The was no stopping his descent now.

He didn’t die when he collided with the ground. It seemed eerily ironic, that he bounced so as his life was ebbing away, he could watch the destruction of his paper and hear the screams of his dying employees who were caught in the wrath of the King of Magic.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Xenophilus Lovegood was always up early working on articles for the Quibbler. This morning he was getting ready for printing; the press was by a window in his tower-like home. He would occasionally look out the window to see what type of wonderful magical creature would be outside in his garden. This morning it was the lack of a creature that had alarmed him. It could only mean one thing; someone was outside watching him.

He went about his business of setting up his printing press, while watching and waiting. He realized that he might possibly be in danger, with his daughter being friends with Ginny Weasley Potter. The Owl he received three days ago saying that Luna was being escorted from Hogwarts for her safety had concerned him. It had advised him to be careful because he could be considered an enemy of the state.

However, he wasn’t overly concerned because nothing ever came from him exposing Fudge and the Rotfang conspiracy or Fudge’s army of Heliotropes.

When he saw someone walking up his lane, everything was adding up. It was Victor Chang from the Ministry’s Financial Department. They had attended Hogwarts together and were even sorted into Ravenclaw together, but they were never friends. Victor was always so constricted in his views. Xenophilius stepped out of his front door to greet his old housemate.

“Xeno, it is good to see you again,” said Victor. He was dressed in expensive grey and copper robes. He had aged as his hair was almost all grey by now. He was also carrying a rolled up newspaper in his grasp.

“Hello, Victor, to what do I owe this pleasure so early in the morning?”

“Have you read this morning’s Daily Prophet?” asked Victor holding the paper out to him.

“I never read it. It is just propaganda for the Ministry. Full of lies it is,” Xeno said with disgust. He also still held a grudge with Cuffe for firing him and not even printing any of his articles that he had submitted as a freelance writer, because Cuffe thought they were ridiculous.

“You should read it. It says that Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix have defeated Fenrir Greyback and destroyed his entire pack of werewolves,” said Victor excitedly, as he again tried to hand the paper to him.

“I don’t understand Victor. You are a lifelong Ministry employee and doing very well for yourself.”

“I am an employee of the Ministry, but I have never supported him and his methods, Xeno,” said Victor with some heat in his voice. “In fact, I haven’t been into work since he overthrew the government and murdered Cornelius in cold blood.”

“I am happy for your beliefs Victor, but I still don’t understand why you have been watching me?”

“Xeno, I am here to ask for your help. Your daughter is friends with Ginny Weasley Potter. She was separated as a high risk student because of it,” Victor stopped talking and he seemed to have a hard time of speaking for several seconds. “I need a place to hide from the Ministry. I do not want to swear fealty to him. Please Xeno, I beg of you speak to the Order. Certainly you know where they are.”

“No, I do not know where they are. You know that Arthur Weasley would have a better idea of where they are located.”

“I tried to contact him, but no one knows where he lives. I — I had to contact some of our old classmates to even find you Xeno. Please, I have gold, if that is what you want. Take me to the Order so I can protect my family. We must be at the Ministry by Noon.”

“I told you, that I have no idea where the Order is. I have not heard from my Luna for three days. I don’t even know if she is alive,” Xeno said allowing his irritation to show in his voice. “I don’t appreciate you watching me either, so leave me alone.”

Victor looked at him slightly shocked. “I haven’t been watching you. Why would you think that?”

“My Bavarian Pixies have gone into hiding. They love to fly around my Dirigible Plums except when someone is watching them. Then they hide.”

Victor looked at him with a strange expression. “I’ve never heard of or seen Bavarian Pixies.”

“They are a rare breed and are virtually invisible,” snorted Xeno. “I wouldn’t doubt you had never seen them. If you haven’t been watching me then who has been. They have been hiding for over an hour.

Victor Chang’s face turned nearly chalk white. He reached for his wand and held it in a shaky hand. “It must be someone from the Ministry. They knew about your daughter escaping their grasp. I’ve just signed my family’s death warrant. What have I done?”

Victor’s wand flew out of his hand from a spell cast out of thin air. Xeno turned to see Alastor Moody lifting an invisibility cloak from over his head.

“Everybody, just remain calm. I don’t want to curse any of you,” the old Auror said brandishing his wand at them. “I have been sent to collect you Xeno and take you to your daughter.”

“You are holding Luna captive?”

“No, she is safe, but you may not be for long. Voldemort will take revenge however he can; starting with the families of the Hogwarts refugees. I am the one that has been watching your place. I am amazed that he doesn’t have anyone watching you at this time, but I imagine his forces are spread pretty thin right now. So go and collect only your basic necessities.”

“I need my printing press.”

“No, just basic necessities, Xeno. The quicker you collect your stuff the sooner we leave.”

“Please, take me with you. I can then come back and collect my family. I can pay,” Victor begged.

“I can’t do that. If what you say is true? Bring your family and only the most basic of needs with you to this location.” The Auror still holding his wand produced a piece of parchment and wrote using his wand several numbers on the parchment. “You understand Longitude and Latitude? Apparate to that point. That isn’t the safe location, but it will lead you to the place where we will sort you out. If you know anyone you trust, bring them along. Understand that if you do not pass our tests you will not be able to enter the safe location.”

Victor bowed to the old Auror. “Thank you. Thank you, very much.” He immediately Apparated away.

Alastor Moody turned back to look at Xeno again. “Have you collected your things yet?”

“No, I have a few questions. Do you have any Gurdyroots or Dirigible plums in this safe location?”

For some strange reason Alastor Moody rolled his eyes at him.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harold and Jane Granger were sitting at the kitchen table sipping on their morning tea and enjoying blueberry scones. Their country was in turmoil. It had been attacked by terrorists.

The Grangers were upset because of the pictures of the terrorists. They were wizards and witches, just like their daughter. The next day they received a post that Hermione had been whisked away from her school for her safety. They hadn’t heard a thing from her since that post. They tried writing to her each of the past two days, but the letters went unanswered.

Even with all this turmoil going on in their lives they were still planning on going into work and seeing their patients. They needed some normalcy.

The knock on their front door at half past seven was not normal. They sat there staring at each other over the rims of their tea cups not sure what they should do. The second set of knocks made them move.

Harold led the way to the front door. He was actually hoping for some delivery service dropping off a package for them. When he looked through the spy hole and saw what was obviously a government agent standing there. His heart started thumping out of his chest.

Do they believe his daughter was involved in the terrorist group? Was she involved in the terrorist group? He wasn’t even sure anymore.

“Who’s at the door, Harold?”

“It looks like someone from the government,” he said to his wife. Her face drained of color.

There was another knock on the door this one louder and longer than the last.

“Well, dear, there is nothing to it. We might as well let him in and see what he has to say.” Harold pulled the door open. “Hello, what can I do for you this early morning?” he said as cheerfully as possible.

“Drs. Harold Granger and Jane Granger, I am with MI6. Can I come in? I have some questions for you.” The young agent had produced his credentials. They looked authentic, but he couldn’t really tell. The man was rather nondescript with a professional appearance about him, but the earpiece and sunglasses made him stand out.

“Yes, you may come in. We were just having tea; do you want any?”

The man seemed to stand in the doorway for a long time preventing Harold from closing the door. “No sir, let me get to the point,” he finally said while moving out of the doorway. “Do you have a picture of your daughter that I may see.”

“Why would you want a picture of our daughter,” Jane said rather defensively. Harold could tell she was rather shaken.

“We need it for confirmation.” The agent said.

“Confirmation of what, may I ask?” Jane snapped at the officer. “If my daughter is in danger I want to know.”

“We need the picture for confirmation,” the agent again stressed. He turned his head slightly and saw that they had a pictures of Hermione hanging in the foyer from age five to last year before she left for school. “Is that your daughter?”

“That’s Hermione,” said another voice in the room.

When a man with long red-hair appeared beside them, Jane let out a squeak and he almost punched the man. The man stepped back and put his hands up in a defensive position.

“I am sorry to startle you. I needed to be sure you were her parents. I taught her at Hogwarts. She is safe and we need to take you to her so you can be safe also.” The young man said. He stared at them for a few seconds. “My name is Bill Weasley. I taught Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

Harold saw that the man appeared to be a wizard, but why was he with a government agent. The agent smiled at him.

“No, I am a Muggle. This man’s family and others fighting the terrorists have formed an alliance with our government,” said the agent. “I have seen things that I never thought was possible.”

“My baby is safe?” asked Jane. Harold now realized that his wife was crying.

“Yes, we need you to come with us, right now. The leader of the terrorists may be able to find you from records at the Ministry. If he can’t find you, he can’t use your lives as leverage against our cause. If you can collect your things we will be on our way. Just take enough clothes for about a three day stay.”

“We — we can’t leave. We have responsibilities to our patients,” he told the wizard.

“Mr. Granger, I will not go back without you and your wife. I realize that you have patients to attend to, but your safety could be considered a national emergency.” He stared at them for a few seconds more. “Don’t you want to see your daughter? If I leave here, there may not be another opportunity to take you to safety.”

Harold looked at Jane. He hated leaving his patients like this, but it didn’t sound like he had much of a choice. “Can you give me thirty minutes to make a few calls. Do you have a fax machine and telephones where we will be?”

“No, we don’t and you have fifteen minutes,” sighed the young wizard.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The stillness of the lorrie was what awakened Amelia Bones. She had been lolled to sleep by the irregular rocking of the lorrie on the highway and the whine of its tires on the pavement. Both of those things had stopped so she found herself waking up. She and twenty other refugees were hiding in the back of this lorrie that Abigail had arranged through her Muggle cousin, Clive. It was not very large and most people had to stand leaning against the walls. Amelia was reclining against the front wall.

The lorries weren’t his, but his companies. He said that the company would never miss them, but Amelia wasn’t sure. Whether he was telling the truth did not matter. They were on their way to Potter Manor in a fashion that Voldemort would never be able to find or track them. She had heard rumors that the Ministry had devised methods of tracking Apparations, but she didn’t know if she believed it. It didn’t matter since they were not Apparating.

She looked around the box that they were in and saw many anxious faces of family members. She had faced the possibility of needing to flee for her safety for years, so it didn’t bother her. These people probably never realized how close their government was to collapse. They all looked as if they were in shock. Their appearance could also be influenced be the single light in the center of the top of the box gave a haunting look to everyone’s face.

A fly was buzzing by her face and she instinctively went to swat at it with her right hand. The searing pain that erupted from her right side reminded her of her condition. When she first awoke she hadn’t noticed the pain from her injuries. Now that she moved all the pain seemed to come back tenfold.

She saw a little girl with long curly chestnut hair staring at her.

“Are you going to die?” she asked with her sweet little voice. Everyone in the box heard her and her mother quickly held her hand over the girl’s mouth and whispered in her ear.

Amelia leaned over so she could whisper to the girl. “Not today.”

“I am so sorry Madam Bones,” apologized the girl’s mother.

“That’s all right, I imagine I am quite the sight,” Amelia whispered while trying to look cheerful. She was in so much pain that she was fighting the urge to cry, something she hadn’t done since her brother’s funeral all those years ago.

“Did you fight You-Know-Who and win?” whispered the little girl excitedly.

“I didn’t exactly win, but I did survive,” she said softly. The little girl smiled at her. It reminded her of her niece, Susan. She wondered how she was doing.

The sound of doors closing echoed through the truck followed by the sound of its engine starting up. Soon they were moving, the familiar feel and sounds of the truck driving down the highway gave comfort to Amelia. There were several times when the truck would slow down followed by it speeding up again before it finally settled on the long continual whine of tires on the highway. Shortly after that sound filled the box, the little sliding door between the cab and the box slid open.

“Oi, Abby, ‘ere is some food for you lot back there,” shouted the gruff voice of Abby’s cousin. “Is that old bird that knows where we are going awake? I ‘ope she hasn’t passed on us.”

“Clive, her name is Madam Bones,” snapped Abigail. “Are we getting close?”

“Nah, we ain’t even in Scotland yet. I need better directions than to drive north. I ‘ave no bloody idea what to look for.”

“You can’t see it,” shouted Amelia. “Only I can see it. Go north of Dundee to Aderdeen on A92. When you get to Dundee, I will need to ride in the front. How much longer until we get to Dundee?”

“If we keep driving straight through about three to four hours.”

“Mommy, I need to go to the bathroom,” whispered the little girl who Amelia was talking to earlier.

“Any possibility, we can get out to stretch our legs and use a loo, soon?” she shouted at Clive.

“Yeah, I was ‘opin that we wouldn’t need to do that, but add another hour to the trip.”

“Please make the stop soon,” Amelia told Clive.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ron was tired and his arms ached as he fought off one werewolf after another with his silver tipped spear. Hermione was standing directly behind him casting spells over his shoulder at the werewolves. The spells were not strong enough to kill the beasts, but they diverted the attacks long enough for him to stab them with his spear.

Together, he and Hermione, had killed nine werewolves. They were presently fighting the last remaining werewolf. The others had been killed. This last one was a huge beast nearly a half larger and stronger than the other werewolves. Its arms were longer than the spear he was using it took all of his skill to keep him and Hermione from getting slashed with the beasts’ claws.

Hermione cast a weak Reducto spell, which knocked the werewolf back a step, and caused it to twist its body to regain its balance. In a split second, Ron struck and drove the silver tip of the spear deep into the werewolf’s chest.

With a scream of agonizing pain, the beast died. Ron collapsed to one knee. He was exhausted from the night of fighting werewolves. Hermione grabbed his shoulder and stared at him with her beautiful brown eyes as her face came closer to his. He stared longingly at her lips.


“Oi, wake up Ron,” said someone.

Ron snapped his eyes open. He was completely disoriented. The last thing he remembered Hermione was about to kiss him, but she told him to wake up with a voice that sounded like, Bill’s.

“Ron, get up, Mum wants the family together for breakfast,” Bill said gruffly as he shook him again.

“Gerrof me,” Ron mumbled back to his brother. He wanted nothing more than to go back to his dream. “Need sleep.”

“Don’t tell me about it,” said Bill. “I still haven’t slept. Besides, Mum wants you to meet your nephew. So get your lazy arse up before I curse it.”

“George, Fred, Percy, you three are included in this. I don’t know why you are sleeping in a tent.”

Ron sat up on his camp bed and ignored his eldest brother. The four of them decided to sleep with the rest of the Hogwarts’ students because of their experience of traveling across Scotland while fleeing Hogwarts. They didn’t want to leave them alone out here in this tent.

He looked around the tent. It was nearly as large as the great hall of Hogwarts. It had to be to hold all of the students and their camp beds. All the beds were filled, except Hermione’s.

She was hugging two older Muggles who must be her parents. Bill said the Order would be gathering up the parents of all the students. He looked again and noticed Xenophilius Lovegood was sitting beside Luna’s bed staring at her sleeping form. He could see through the opening in the tent that there were more Muggles outside talking with wizards. He wasn’t sure whose parents they were, but it seemed so strange to see Muggles and magical people together like this.

“Ron,” said Hermione. She must have noticed that he was awake. She was smiling at him and dragging her parents over to him. “Ron, this is my Mother and Father.”

Trying not to yawn as he spoke, Ron extended his hand. “Please to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Granger.”

“Please to meet you Ron,” said Mr. Granger. He seemed to straighten up and look critically at Ron. “We have heard a great deal about you.”

Ron looked at Hermione to see her blushing. He was confused why she would be blushing. Not sure what to say to her father, he said the first thing that came to him. “I hope it wasn’t too bad what you heard.”

This seemed to make Hermione even more uncomfortable. Bill stopped by and broke up the tense scene.

“Ron, breakfast,” he said. “Harold, your family can tag along. I have no idea what the House Elves are planning to do about feeding everyone. For now, we can all go to the formal dining hall. There is plenty of room in there unless all the Royals are in there.”

“Hermione, do you feel up to a spot of breakfast?” Harold asked. “I am curious about that manor. Who did you say owns it?” He addressed the question to Bill.

Bill started walking leading the group towards the manor house. “Our sister and her husband, it was from his side.”

Ron didn’t say anything. It was strange that now he had wealthy relatives that he was just as embarrassed or unsure what to say about them. He didn’t want to say something that would sound like he was bragging, like Malfoy always did. He looked around the estate as he walked trying to avoid eye contact with the Grangers so he didn’t have to say anything. He noticed that there were more tents going up. All about the same size as the one they had left. It was as if they were preparing for thousands of people to be coming.

They had entered the manor house. Bill had taken the lead with Hermione’s parents telling them about the manor and the Potter’s legacy. There were also Goblins and House Elves moving about the foyer. Bill was explaining about the different species and their stake in this war. Hermione was listening to Bill speak. He was amazed that she wasn’t taking notes.

“There you lot are and about time,” said his Mum. He could hear happiness in her voice. He looked up and saw her standing there waving them over to the head table. His father was sitting and holding a bundle of blankets that he assumed was his nephew. Ginny was sitting beside him. Harry was on the other side of the table talking with an older woman in Muggle clothing.

He felt Hermione and her parents hesitate for a second, before they immediately fell to one knee and bowed. He looked at them. He had no idea why they would do that.

“It’s only Mum. You don’t have to do that?” he said confused.

Hermione looked up at him scandalized. “Ron, that is the Queen sitting with Professor Potter,” she whispered.

He didn’t know what to say or do. Should he kneel too? He noticed none of his family was kneeling to the Queen, but he didn’t want Hermione’s parents to think he wasn’t respectful.

“You may rise?” said the Queen. “You must be Muggles?”

“Drs. Harold and Jane Granger, your Majesty, and our daughter Hermione Jane,” Mr. Granger said nervously.

“Are you from Hogwarts, Miss Granger?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Hermione nervously said.

“I am happy that you are safe. That must have been quite an ordeal you experienced,” the Queen said as she rose. “I must leave to attend to some official business. Mr. Potter, we will talk again shortly.”

“I want to get some things settled here with the incoming refugees before attending to anything else, Your Majesty.”

Ron was enjoying the look of awe on the Grangers faces. The Queen wasn’t anyone special to him, but he wasn’t Muggle. Evidently, she was very important to Muggles. He was ignoring what was being said among his family, as he sat down. Hermione sat beside him and Her parents were on the other side of her. Her father was the first to speak.

“I had no clue when Bill said that the Royals were here. I thought it meant a family with the last name of Royal.”

“We brought them here for protection when Voldemort attacked Parliament,” said Harry. “We were afraid of what would happen if the Death Eaters had captured the Royal family and the Queen.”

“You are working with the government? I thought that was illegal?” said Hermione

“Technically, it is forbidden, but it is more important we protect everyone right now than worry about hiding our society. Besides, Voldemort’s forces already exposed our world,” said Harry.

“Ron, it is time you met your nephew,” his Mum said. She thrust the bundle of blankets into his arms and started pulling and moving his arms to her satisfaction. When she was finally satisfied that he was holding the baby properly, she introduced. “Ron, meet your nephew, Xenon Potter.”

Ron stared at the plump pink baby for a second before registering what his Mum had said. “Xenon? What type of name is that?”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones sat uncomfortably in the front of the lorrie. They were getting close to where she knew Potter Manor should be, but everything looked different. They were not as close to the North Sea as she thought they should be. She was pretty sure they hadn’t passed the manor, but she was getting nervous.

“’ow much longer, till we get there?” asked Clive. “We are goin’ to run out of road if we don’t find it soon.”

“I am not sure. I have never traveled by this method,” snapped Amelia. Clive’s grouchy attitude and her persistent pain was wearing on her patience. “Is there a road closer to the coast?”

“Yeah, I am sure there is one, but it will slow us down.”

“I know there is a road that runs along the coast by the manor. It isn’t nearly as large as this one.”

“Well I don’t see one over there now. You keep looking over there while I drive. Will you be able to see this ‘ouse from this road?”

Amelia smiled at his question. “I may not be able to see the house, but I will see the estate. It is quite distinctive. It is a peninsula a half mile wide and it juts out into the North Sea a mile. The house is at the far end. It also has a forty-foot hedgerow separating it from the mainland.”

“Bloody ‘ell, I should be able ta…”

“No you cannot see it. It has magical protections on it. I can only see it because I have been permitted to see it by the owner.”

“Umpff, magic stuff, eh,” muttered Clive under his breath.

“Yes, magic stuff,” snapped Amelia.

They drove along for another fifteen minutes without saying anything. Amelia was happy for the silence. Clive was not as patient.

“What ‘appened to ya?” he said suddenly. “Your injuries.”

“A ceiling fell on me when a dozen people were trying to kill me. They were doing that because I was in charge Magical Law Enforcement.” Amelia smiled when Clive gave her a sideways glance at her comment about Law Enforcement.

“Tell me, Clive, are these your lorries?”

Clive gripped the steering wheel a couple of times so hard his knuckles turned white before answering. Amelia was able to observe this, while staring at the distant coastline.

“No, they are not my trucks. The owner doesn’t know I ‘ave them and I doubt if ‘e even cares at this point. Grunnings Tool and Die is bloody dead. We lost an entire year’s worth of work to the bottom of Liverpool bay when your kind attacked us.

“Some big fat bloke in sales had swung a deal with a big American store. This store would buy millions of pounds of our product each year for the next three years. The catch was we needed to get the initial order to them by the end of next week. Well, that bloody Dursley ‘ad all the managers convinced that this was a ticket to the big time. They bought extra equipment, ‘ired thirty more millwrights, and borrowed a boat load of money to do all this and to buy extra trucks.

“Well, everything was goin along just fine. They milled all the tools, drill bits, and everything to fill the first order. We trucked it all to the docks, and loaded it on the ship. Then your bloody enemies attacked and sent the ship to the bottom of the bay. The company realized that it was done for and told everyone to stay home.

“No sense in going to work if the company can’t pay ye.”

“So you are out of a job?” She felt bad for the man. He might be an irritating man, but to lose your job suddenly wasn’t a pleasant thing.

“Yeah, you could say that. Do you know what the kicker is about all this? That bloke that arranged all this has been put in a looney bin. It seems that as soon as Parliament was attacked, he took off from work, bought ‘imself a shotgun and was seen shooting at birds as they flew over ‘is ‘ouse. ‘e said that they were ‘is ruddy nephew comin’ to attack ‘im.”

Amelia was going to ask if this Dursley had a magical nephew, when she saw the peninsula. “There it is. Can you get to that road over there?”

“I can see the road, but I don’t see any peninsula,” said Clive. “Before ye say it, I know it is a magic thing.”

“Yes, Clive, it is a magic thing.” She smiled at herself, as they moved to exit from the road they were on.

She sent a Patronus off to Arthur Weasley announcing their arrival. Fifteen minutes later they were driving along Potter estate. She was getting anxious to be somewhere safe. She just hoped that Susan had made it through safely. She was surprised to see Arthur Weasley and Harry Potter waiting for her. They stepped out from the magical protections causing Clive to slam on his brakes and swerve away from them. Amelia was nearly flung into the side window from the sudden change of direction.

“Where the bloody ‘ell did they come from?” shouted Clive.

“They are here to take us to safety.”

Harry stepped up to Clive’s window and Arthur stepped up to her window.

“Merlin, Amelia, you should have used your Portkey. You need to see Poppy straight away,” said Arthur, as soon as he saw her.

“I don’t have one. I gave it to Susan. Is she safe?”

“Yes, her and all the other children from Hogwarts were saved from the werewolves,” said Arthur.

“Werewolves after the children?”

“Yes, Madam Bones, let’s get you all inside the wards and then I will take you to Poppy,” said Harry.

Harry and Arthur went and asked the Muggle and magical people the same question. She enjoyed watching their faces light up in wonder as the estate appeared before them. After they had asked everyone the question and they all answered properly, Harry offered to lead everyone through the hedgerow since they had no mental picture to Apparate.

“Harry, you shouldn’t be Apparating people onto the estate,” Amelia told him. “The Ministry is perfecting a way to track Apparations. If it is functional, they will be able to track people here to your doorstep.”

“I thought it was impossible to track Apparation?” Arthur asked her.

“The Department of Mysteries have been working on it,” she told him. “They were going to try and integrate the spell into the Portkey tracking board. That is the main reason we used the lorries.”

Harry looked at the vans. Amelia could almost see the lights come on in his eyes. “Sir, do you own these vans?”

“No, but I can use them,” Clive responded.

Amelia kept quiet, as Harry and Clive spoke. They were discussing rental payments on the lorries, when she felt something or someone behind her. She turned to find Arthur transfiguring a wooden chair that was more of a recliner behind her.

“Here Amelia, this should fit you as we levitate you to the main house,” Arthur said as he put the finishing touches on the chair.

When finished it lined up behind her so she could easily fall back into it. It wobbled a bit before stabilizing about three feet off the ground. She felt relief from the pressure on her injuries. It was actually a rather comfortable way to ride. The Muggle lorry drivers’ stared at her floating three feet above the ground with gobsmacked expressions. Harry and Clive had just finished shaking hands.

“Come into the estate and I will pay you for this first load,” Harry said the Clive, who smiled like the cat that ate the canary.

Amelia couldn’t help herself. She had to tell Harry. “He doesn’t own these trucks Harry. You don’t want him pulled over for a speeding ticket and have the trucks impounded with the back filled with refugees.”

Clive’s shoulders sagged before recovery and straightening up to meet the world face on. “Me company is going into Bankruptcy. They ‘ave no use for the bloody trucks.”

“What company did you work for?” Harry asked him.

Clive spent the next fifteen minutes telling Harry about his company’s troubles. Amelia noticed that Harry smiled when Clive mentioned that big old fat bloke that is in the looney bin right now. They had moved through the hedgerow as a unit, while Clive was talking to Harry. Amelia marveled at all the tents that were set up. Harry answered her unasked question.

“We are setting up for thousands of people to flee from Voldemort,” he said with happiness. The garden near the house was almost completely filled with tents. The wide type that could accommodate hundreds of people each if they were magically Charmed on the inside.

“Madam Bones,” Harry said to her softly. “I told you that I would take you to Poppy as soon as possible, but I was wondering if you would mind staying here for a few hours. There is going to be a meeting in about an hour. We need to sit down with the Muggle Authorities and decide what we are going to do next. I would like your input and advice.”

“Of course Harry, I can stay that long.”

Harry smiled at her with a boyish expression. “Thank you, we can start treating your injuries here before sending you off to France.”

Harry walked over to talk to a few more people in their group. She was amazed at how kind and accommodating this young man was. He was talking to people as if he was staying at their home, instead of the other way around.

She was going to say something to Arthur about his son-in-law. When she heard a squeal of joy, she recognized that it was her niece Susan.

“Auntie, Auntie is that you,” she squealed with excitement. “I heard you were dead. Are you hurt very bad? Oh Auntie you wouldn’t believe everything that happened to us….”

Amelia listened contentedly as he niece described her ordeal of leaving Hogwarts and crossing the countryside. The traveling with House Elves and Centaurs. They battled Acromantulas in the Forbidden Forest, and Hagrid had died. When Susan talked about being surrounded by werewolves and being rescued by “The Harry Potter” and the Order, she glanced at Harry for several seconds.

Amelia couldn’t help the smile that formed on her face. Susan was a young girl about the age where she would become interested in boys. Harry was the embodiment of a dashing handsome hero. She just hoped that Susan would never act openly on her obvious attraction to Harry. If Amelia was Susan’s age, she too would probably find the young man rather attractive and have a school girl crush. Amelia never admitted to anyone, but she had one on Professor Dumbledore. It came as quite a shock to find out in her later years that they were ‘playing on different pitches’ one could say.

They had nearly reached the house when a young man approached them. He said that he was a healer at St. Mungo’s, as he was looking at her injuries. He would be willing to treat anyone who needed it. Harry turned and spoke to a couple of the House Elves. They rushed off into the house. The man walked over to her.

“Hello, my name is Oliver Kirwan, and I am a Healer at St Mungo’s. I would like to treat you, if you let me.”

“I am Amelia Bones and that would be fine. I do believe I have seen you before. Do you specialize in spell damage?”

“Yes, I have treated many of the Hit-Wizards and Aurors that come into St. Mungo’s. I am not sure what type of Potions I can get here, but I promise to do my best,” he said as he started to wave his wand over her.

It must have looked rather strange to all the Muggles. She was floating along Levitated by Arthur Weasley, while a Healer was casting diagnostic spells over her as they entered the house.

“Arthur take Madam Bones to the Ballroom,” Harry said as they floated past him in the doorway to the house. “Healer Kirwan, I have assigned two House Elves to get whatever you need. The only thing I ask is could Amelia attend a meeting in one hour.”

“Mr. Potter, she is severely injured I should be giving her about four different Potions and one would be a pain….”

“The Pain Potion can wait,” Amelia said. “Just patch me up the best you can for the meeting. After the meeting is over I will take the Pain Potion.”

“Very well, I hope you have access to what I need,” he said to Harry.

“Do not worry about that, Healer Kirwan,” said Amelia. “Mr. Potter is quite prepared for anything.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry stood in the map room staring at a room full of people. There were representatives from Muggle England and also Magical society. They had to sit down and figure out what to do next. They needed to take the fight to Voldemort.

“Any idea when that blockade will be eliminated?” asked a high ranking Muggle official. Harry had forgotten his name.

Harry, Arthur, and Bill were exhausted they had spent last night fighting werewolves and all day today Apparating people through the wards of Potter Estate. They had moved in almost three hundred refugees. Many of them were family members of the children from Hogwarts, or friends of the families. There were owls flying around Britain aimlessly trying to find someone who was in the Order or would be fighting against Voldemort who were inside the estate’s wards. They needed to find a solution to bringing people in here for their safety without endangering anyone inside.

“I am guessing about two days we should have enough information to eliminate most of the people creating the blockade,” said Alastor Moody. “If you look up at the map,….”

Harry watched as the old Auror explained about their tracking charms. Madam Bones commented on how many tracking pieces had fallen off the board, when she first saw it.

“…we don’t want to do anything until we have a good plan that can be executed quickly and easily,” Alastor finished saying.

“Once this blockade is eliminated will we be able to use our airports and seaports without fear of the planes being shot down and ships sunk?” The Muggle official asked.

“We can’t be sure. The people we have been tracking have been in Voldemort’s service for at least six months. He could start recruiting new people anytime,” Alastor said. “We can’t guarantee that he won’t strike again.”

“May I say something?” asked Madam Bones.

“The people who we are eliminating from his service are his best. Magic is something that not all people can do with equal success and power. We can’t guarantee that he won’t attack again, but we also can be sure that the people he will be using will be inferior in battle tactics than their predecessor.”

“Are you telling me that the people he would send out to our airports won’t be able to blast a plane out of the sky,” the Muggle official leaned forward in an attempt to intimidate Madam Bones.

“No, I did not say that,” protested Madam Bones. “With each person we eliminate from his service, he gets weaker. It will make things easier to destroy him and set the government right.”

“Are you running out of provisions?” Harry asked the Muggle contingency.

“We have plenty of food and supplies. We need the blockade lifted in the next week or we will be having problems. There is an issue of a little girl. She is dying and we need to either get her a new heart flown in or send her to Paris where they can transplant a new heart for her. If we do not get the blockade lifted immediately; she will die. Her situation has become public knowledge, so it would look very good saving her.”

“You said Paris?” Harry asked the man. This man was only thinking of the notoriety of saving the little girl. Harry though thought about the pain the family would feel if this girl died.

“Yes, Paris, why do you have a plan? She cannot go by any magical transportation. The jolting around would kill her. She needs to remain on life support. It would be easiest to bring the heart here.”

“Can someone in Paris transport the heart to a small town in the Alps?”

“I suppose, why is that?” asked the Queen this time.

“I can get the heart here if they can get the heart to this spot in France. It is a remote area of the country.”

The Queen looked at the several of the Muggle advisors. One who had been quiet the entire time finally spoke up. “We will contact the French and see if that is possible. How soon can you transport the heart?”

“Within five minutes after this meeting,” said Harry.

“It will take us longer to coordinate the transfer of the heart. Thank you Mr. Potter.”

A Muggle guard entered the room, and handed a slip of paper to Clyde Ferndock. Clyde looked at it and his eyes went wide with surprise.

“Well, Clyde what is it?” said Alastor waspishly.

“I think someone is trying to Apparate to our location without your permission, Harry.”

“How do you know that?” barked Moody.

“The guards standing watch on top of the house just noticed three people falling out of midair into the ocean. They were confused by it, but it sounds like someone was trying to break into the wards.”

“The Ministry must be tracking Apparations,” said Amelia Bones.

“You can’t track Apparations,” replied Moody.

“Yes, now you can,” said Gregory Bright. “They had been working on something that could track Apparations in the Department of Mysteries. They were trying to install it on the same board that tracks Portkeys. It sounds like they might have succeeded.”

“What are we going to do if they can track Apparations?” sighed Alastor. “We won’t be able to leave or return without them knowing about it.”

“It doesn’t matter now,” said Amelia. “If they have already tracked us here, then they know where we are.”

“Could we use Muggle transportation?” Harry asked everyone. “They won’t be looking for it, and they won’t be able to track it”

“Harry,” said a weak voice from the corner of the room. Remus Lupin looked terrible. “Do you think we could have people use the Knight Bus?”

“That is a possibility, but can we trust the driver and attendant to take people where they want to go? Isn’t the bus owned or regulated by the Ministry?”

“It is regulated by the Ministry,” said Amelia Bones. “I think we should use Muggle transportation to get everyone inside of our wards. We will need to set up a protective perimeter around the road that leads here.”

“I say we continue to Apparate people here,” said Sirius. “They know where we are right now. There is no use in hiding what we are doing. The final decision is up to you, Harry.”

Harry stared at everyone. He returned their gaze for several seconds as he tried to sort this out in his head.

I say use both forms of transportation. Ginny spoke to him through their bond. Many magical families would feel trapped and suspicious of riding in lorries for hours, but we can’t always rely on Apparation, particularly if they can track it.

How about if we have the people Apparate to different locations where there will be lorries waiting for them. Harry responded to her. Have the lorries bring them to us? If they are tracking our Apparations, it will confuse them as to where our safe place is located.

Harry felt her giggle through their connection before he heard it.

Brilliant my dear, it may slow some things down, but it should confuse the Ministry Death Eaters.

“All right everyone,” Harry said as he looked up to see Remus, Sirius, and Arthur smiling at him, while the Muggle contingency had blank looks on their faces. “Here is what we will do….”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The fog of pain was lifted from Rookwood’s mind. His master had lifted his wand after holding him under the Cruciatus Curse for almost a minute. He hoped that he didn’t whimper from the pain. The Dark Lord could accept you screaming out in pain, but whimpering was a sign of weakness to him.

“You should have never allowed the maintenance workers to leave, Augustus,” hissed Voldemort. “Does any of you, worthless scum, know where they went?” He addressed everyone else in the room.

Rookwood was not alone in front of the King of Magic. The receiving area was filled with Ministry officials. He and Bella were the only long standing members of the Inner Circle. No one seemed to know what happened to the others. Many are dead, but just as many had gone on missions and never returned.

“I think I know sir?” said Urquhart stepping forward slightly with his head still bowed.

“Where are they?”

“We have been tracking hundreds of Apparations all day. The Apparations all lead to a spot off the Eastern Scottish coast, Your Majesty.”

“And?” asked Voldemort threatening.

Urquhart glanced to his side at another man who eventually stepped forward. He was the present Head of the Hit Wizards. Trumball was his name. He was an older wizard; who Rookwood had crossed wands with before. The man never impressed Rookwood with his abilities, but maybe Trumball was holding back to allow him to escape all those times.

“We sent several Hit-Wizards to the location, Your Majesty. They encountered a barrier and were rejected from the location. It must be protected by very strong wards to reject people Apparating.”

“Were you successful?” asked Voldemort.

“Successful, your Majesty, the location was protected….”

“I know that the location was protected by wards, you imbecile. I am assuming that you tried to breach or bring down the wards.”

Silence filled the area. Rookwood was now kneeling where he could see a sheen of sweat appear on Trumball’s forehead. “No, Your Majesty, we haven’t had the time. I — I will get some people right on it,” he said backing away.

“No, you will not, and stay where you are,” said the King.

Rookwood tried to contain the smile. Trumball was either going to die or be tortured. Silence filled the area again. The King of Magic turned and walked up to his throne and sat down. Rookwood chanced a glance up at him. His face showed no indication of what he was going to do. It was times like this that he was the most unpredictable. He could either lash out and kill everyone here, dismiss everyone, or do something that caught everyone completely unaware.

“Harry Potter must die,” the King of Magic said softly. “There is something about him that has prevented me from killing him. I have never been so frustrated in all of my life, but I cannot allow him to live any longer. We must assume that this location that is so heavily warded is where Harry Potter is located. The problem is how do we get in there and kill him. The solution will be to allow him and the rest of these traitors to believe that they are safe.

“I hear that we only had twenty people show up today to swear fealty to me. There are over a thousand witches and wizards unaccounted for in Britain. I can only assume that they are trying to seek refuge with Potter’s band of miscreants. Let them.”

Rookwood snapped his head up and stared at the King. He never expected this response.

“Mr. Trumball, you are in charge of the Hit-Wizards. I am going to give you this task,” said the King. “Use whatever sources at your disposal and locate a family that had not come in to swear fealty. When you find this family, you will subject the entire family to Imperious Curses. Their objective will be to find someone to take them to this safe location. Once there, they will seek out and kill Harry Potter upon sight.”

Everyone stood in silence. Rookwood smiled at the Kings brilliant plan.

“Also, when looking for this family, don’t make them Slytherins or Gryffindors. A family of Hufflepuffs or Ravenclaws would be better. The Slytherins wouldn’t be trusted and Gryffindors can be so unpredictable with their hero complexes.”

Back to index


Chapter 39: A difficult Decision

Author's Notes: In war, there are many difficult decision that leaders must make. Harry must make one that is difficult for him, but not his enemy.
I am finally back writing again. I have several more chapters written after this one and the end is in sight. As a reminder, I put the conversation in bold when Harry and Ginny speak to each other with their bond.


Harry stared out the window at the tents arranged in his garden. It looked like an army had moved in. The sleeping tents were aligned in two rows of three with each one holding as many as four hundred camp beds. There were two rows of tents to the left and right of an even larger tent, the kitchen and dining tent. The white tents gleaming even though the sun was shaded by high grey clouds. It was a sign of a war. A war that started only seven days ago, it had torn the nation of magical and Muggle citizens apart.

So much had happened in the past seven days since they answered the call to stop Voldemort from overthrowing the Ministry. He had died that day. Even though it was only for a few minutes, he was still dead. An ancient elf had appeared from his isolation to save Harry and Ginny, by sacrificing himself.

He never understood how the elf knew that Ginny and he were in peril a thousand miles away. The elf knew and transferred his magical powers to Ginny so she could save Harry from death. Ginny gave birth to their child immediately after pulling Harry from the realm of death.

Xenon was name of the Atlantean Elf, and the name of their son. He was such a beautiful boy. Harry had experienced the strength and depth of power that comes with creating and fulfilling a Love Bond. It was a rush of magical power and passionate emotions, but it still doesn’t compare to the feeling of having a child. It wasn’t some great magical event that hadn’t occurred for 1700 years. It was something more tender and softer, but just as powerful and moving.

He often wondered about his parents sacrificing themselves for him, and if he could have the courage to do such a selfless thing. Now that he was holding Xenon in his arms, he realized that it wasn’t that much of a sacrifice. He would never say that his parents were not brave or that they didn’t sacrifice themselves. He now understood that to be a parent there is nothing more important than the safety of your child. He would not hesitate to die if he knew it would give Xenon a safer place to live.

He gently reached up and pulled back Xenon’s blanket so he could kiss the top of his head. His red hair glistened in the pale sunlight coming through the manor’s window. He didn’t even stir when Harry pressed his lips against the soft skin of his head.

Xenon was like most new-born babies. He ate. He slept and occasionally stretched and moved, but he mostly slept.

“I apologize for being late,” said Mad-Eye as he entered the Room. “I got hung up bringing the last batch of refugees. They kept bloody asking me why they should pledge that they won’t harm anyone.”

Harry turned to look at the old Auror. He had entered the room and plopped himself down into a chair around the meeting table. They needed to discuss capturing the sorcerers maintaining the flying barricade that Voldemort had put in place. Arthur was here along with Sirius, Bill, Remus and Mad-eye. One of the Order members that had been on the assignment to figure out how to break the barricade, Kingsley Shacklebolt was also sitting at the table. There were no Muggle authorities present since this mission wouldn’t include them. Harry would brief them of the timing of the attack, so they can plan to start the flights from the airports again.

Harry stood at the end of the long conference table. The only person missing was Madam Bones. He wasn’t sure if she would be able to make it out of the infirmary. Her condition was getting better, but she still had a long way to go until she was back to full health.

“Mr. Shacklebolt, would you please see if Madam Bones will be attending this meeting this morning.” Harry said as graciously as possible.

Xenon shifted in his arms, so Harry lifted him to hold him better. Harry could feel that Arthur was staring at him. He looked up and saw his father-in-law was smiling. Sirius and Remus, on the other hand, were trying to avoid Harry’s gaze they were looking anywhere except at him and his baby.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked them. Neither one responded or looked his way. Both sat there staring at the table. Remus seemed to look at him from the corner of his eye.

“I am talking to you and Sirius. What is bothering you? Are you upset because I am holding my child while we talk about defeating Voldemort? You can be assured that he won’t reveal any secrets.” He said with a chuckle trying to lighten the mood in the room.

Remus elbowed Sirius, but he didn’t’ respond to the gentle elbow in the ribs. Finally, Sirius looked up. He had a sad look on his face, and he still wouldn’t look Harry in the eyes.

“It isn’t what you think, Prongslet,” Sirius said with watery eyes. “You remind us of James. He would hold you the same way with same sappy look on his face.”

Everyone looked at Sirius with sympathy. Harry felt bad for his Father’s friends, but he also felt pride at acting the same as his Father. If Ginny’s ideas work out, they will be alive for their son to grow up in a world without Voldemort.

“Thank you, I take being compared to my father as a compliment.”

“He would be so proud of you, Harry,” said Remus.

“A little disappointed that you didn’t attend Hogwarts to play Quidditch and prank Slytherins, but he would be proud of you,” said Sirius with his trademark wolfish grin, even though there were tears in his eyes.

Kingsley Shacklebolt entered the room accompanied by Madam Bones. She was walking slowly. Most of her face was covered with gauze along with her right arm. He could see her grimacing with each step.

Arthur saw her and frowned. “Amelia, you are….”

“I am well enough to attend a meeting Arthur,” she said cutting him off. “Besides I will be needed to do more than just attend meetings soon enough.”

“Amelia, we have plenty of wands and fighters to fight against Voldemort and his forces,” responded Alastor.

Amelia seemed to hesitate for a second before continuing to the closest seat. Harry looked at Arthur and Alastor and noticed they seemed to be a little uncomfortable. There was something that they were not telling him. He looked around the room and tried to assess everyone’s emotions. He had some empathy ability, but not enough to discern what everyone was thinking.

“Let’s get this meeting started,” Harry said. “I hope my having Xenon isn’t too distracting, but It was my turn to watch him. If no one shouts too loud, he should sleep through everything.”

All eyes turned to Moody. “Why is everyone bloody looking at me.”

“Alastor, language,” admonished Amelia.

“What, the baby is asleep,” Alastor roughly whispered.

Harry chuckled along with everyone else. “The main reason we are here is to firm up the plans to capture the witches and wizards who are maintaining the blockade. Do we have the timing down as to when to start capturing them?”

“Yes, sir,” said Kingsley. “If we take the base at 14:45 hours, we will be able to capture the shift coming in from their rotation and the ones coming into start. That will take out two thirds of the flyers. There is a house across from their base that, after using Portkeys to transport the ones we’ve captured to Egypt, we could move to and wait for the third shift to come in and capture them.”

Harry felt tension raising around the room. He wasn’t sure why everyone was getting tense. “What is wrong?” he addressed everyone. “Is there something I don’t know about this operation?”

“We may not be able to Portkey everyone to Egypt, Harry,” said Arthur. “It seems that the international magical community will be declaring war against us.”

Arthur produced several magical newspapers. Harry couldn’t read the writing, but he was sure that one was French and another Egyptian. He didn’t recognize the rest the other languages. “Are they declaring war against us or Voldemort?”

“Both, Harry,” said Amelia. “They see no difference between us and Voldemort.”

“Harry,” said Arthur taking over for Amelia. “The attack on Parliament was videotaped and it is now being broadcast all over the world. Some of the attacks on the airplanes ware also taped and Muggles everywhere now realize that it wasn’t a normal attack. There are theories everywhere from some advanced weapons being illegally tested to Martians attacking. The issue is that the ICW is irate that this happened and they blame all the British for this breach of secrecy.

“They have issued a ban on all British nationals from traveling. Per a couple of these articles they are even considering raising a magical barrier around the islands. The flurry of Portkeys leaving the Britain to both France and Egypt raised concerns that we are entering those countries to form subversive groups to overthrow their governments. They have no idea that we are fighting the Dark Forces.

“We cannot use international Portkeys anymore. This one article…,” Arthur said pointing at the French newspaper. “…states that the French and Egyptian Ministries are going to send Hit-Wizards to any location that Portkeys land. I know your estates are unplottable and cannot be detected, but I would advise against using Portkeys to transport prisoners to Egypt. It may create even more anger towards us.”

Harry leaned back in his chair. He never thought about this aspect of the fight against Voldemort. It was probably naive that he thought they could stop Voldemort from causing so much damage in the Muggle world that it would go unnoticed by the ICW.

It was even more frustrating that the ICW was being so narrow minded about the situation. If every British citizen was now suspected of being a follower of Voldemort, they would all be in danger of being attacked even after the defeat Voldemort. How long will it take them to convince the International Community to believe that not all British citizens were followers of Voldemort.

“Harry, need to go to the ICW,” said Amelia Bones. “I can do more good there than staying here and trying to fight. I will try to make them understand that we are fighting against Voldemort. I think I can convince them of that fact. I just don’t know what we are going to do about the breach of the Secrecy clause. The international magical community cannot just go out and Obliviate the entire Muggle population. We may have to bear the brunt of Voldemort’s decisions and actions.”

She stopped talking and looked at everyone around the table. “I don’t think Witches and Wizards will ever be able to hide from the Muggles again. Personally, I am afraid what will happen when the Muggle community realizes that we exist. Reactions will vary from one individual to the next, just like what happened with the Queens guards. I am almost as afraid of that reaction as I am afraid of Voldemort. Our community has been hiding from the Muggle world for over a thousand years because we fear an all-out war with them. I hope we can avoid it, but I am not sure.”

“Madam Bones, not all Muggles are like…,” Harry said until being cut off by Arthur.

“Harry, it doesn’t matter what Muggles are like. Lack of knowledge or familiarity of each other could lead to discontent, fear, and violence. I don’t hate Muggles,” Arthur said. Everyone around the table chuckled. “I agree with Amelia. A hidden society that suddenly appears in the middle of all these other societies, things could become rather sticky very fast.”

Dark thoughts filled Harry’s mind. He might fight and sacrifice to destroy Voldemort only to find himself caught up in an even larger war. He thought after destroying Voldemort it would easy to move on, after all, the person responsible for the suffering was gone.

Harry, relax I can feel your anger and frustration all the way in Egypt. Yes, I realize what is bothering you. You can only tackle one problem at a time. Be careful how you proceed. Remember what we discussed last night about how this has all come about. There is a reason everything has happened to us.

“If you could take me to France, I will work my way to Paris and from there to the International Confederation of Wizards,” Amelia said.

Harry looked at her. “You are not well enough to travel.”

“Allow me to have one of the medical House Elves from France, and my sister-in-law and niece as traveling companions. My wounds are healing well enough for some traveling. I can’t fight. There is one more problem, I may need to reveal a little bit about the Potter network I may have to explain what has been happening.”

“No, you can’t do that,” barked Moody.

Xenon moved and let out a little squeak at the sound of his voice. Arthur and Amelia immediately shushed him.

“All right sorry,” whispered Moody. “This network may be the only thing that will keep us alive. The war hasn’t been won yet. We need every advantage we can get. Don’t forget that Voldemort may have followers or spies in other country’s Ministries.”

“I realize that Alastor,” whispered Amelia. “I cannot reveal where these places are because of the wards. I need to gain their trust by revealing some of the reasons for the flurry of Portkey activity.”

“Still do not reveal anything that could be critical to the completion of our mission,” Moody stressed with an exaggerated whisper.

“Excuse me,” said Kingsley Shacklebolt nervously. “I think we need to think about the operation we have planned for this afternoon. In just over four hours. We need to capture the people maintaining the blockade.”

Everyone in the room turned and stared at Kingsley. Harry tried to suppress the smile that wanted to form at seeing this young Auror look hesitatingly at his boss from work and the most revered Auror in the past fifty years, which he basically told to shut up. He met their gazes without flinching.

He then turned and looked directly at Harry. “My apologies, Mr. Potter. The time is right we are ready to go with this mission, but if we don’t have a way to hold the wizards and witches as they are captured, it will fail.”

“You don’t have to apologize to me, Kingsley, and my name is Harry. Egypt is the ideal location for holding prisoners…,”

“Don’t tell the ICW about that,” Moody whispered to Amelia.

“However,” Harry continued without acknowledging Moody’s whispered comment or Amelia’s scowl in return. “…the only way to get them there without Portkey’s is our transportation vault. It would be slow and we would need to keep the prisoners Stunned so they have no knowledge of it. I realize that we may need to reveal the presence of the transportation vault, but until we do, I want to keep it a secret.”

“I don’t like the idea of you needing to personally transport all the future prisoners to Egypt. We need you other places,” said Sirius. “Can’t you get the goblins to do the transportation for you.”

“I supposed I could…,” Harry started to talk, but Bill but him off.

“Don’t forget the goblins are waiting to have a debt settled,” Bill said ominously. “They will want that settled before they are willing to help any more than they already have.”

Harry remembered that Grins had demanded the heads of forty wizards and witches for the death of his bank tellers and clerks. It repulsed him to think that they could be so cruel and unforgiving. Goblins were not known for being forgiving. They were cold-hearted, calculating, and seemingly cruel. To them it is more important to adhere to the rules than to save a life or forgive a person’s previous transgression. He hated feeling helpless and caught in the middle of all of this, but that was precisely where he had to be.

“I have a suggestion,” said Sirius. He looked at Remus who seemed to understand what he was going to suggest and gave him a nod of approval. “Go ahead with the operation, but Portkey everyone to the vaults of Gringotts. Grins can glean his justice from the captives that we send him for assurance that they will transport our prisoners to Egypt.”

“You’re barkin’,” yelled Moody. Xenon again fussed in Harry’s arms. Moody waved off everyone who tried to shush him. “You can’t let goblins kill forty wizards at random. We would have another war on our hands after this is all over.”

“If Grins doesn’t get his justice, then we may have another messy war with the goblins on our hands,” Bill whispered furiously.

Everyone was talking to each other around the table, as Harry listened. Sirius, Remus, and Bill defended their idea. Moody, Amelia, Kingsley argued against it, while Arthur interjected his opinion. Harry could tell his father-in-law was bothered by what was suggested, just like he was

He looked up at the board and watched as little bits and pieces moved about the tracking board. He had been looking at those objects moving about the board representing Britain for several days. Voldemort killed and ordered people to be killed without hesitation. The people they are going to be capturing and sentencing to be executed had murdered innocent Muggles by destroying their planes. He was having problems with this decision. He knew he had to agree with something that made him sick thinking about, but he really had no other choice. What would happen to him and Ginny if he agreed to this?

Harry, I feel your concerns. I don’t believe this would be classified as you killing with your magic. We should be safe. You must tell them about that condition of our magical bond.

Harry looked back up at the map. He could hear the people quietly arguing about Sirius’s proposal. He was stuck. He would have to make the decision.

“We will send the captured wizards and witches to Grins for justice.” He waited to see everyone’s reaction. No one contradicted him or argued against it. “We will set a condition. He is to execute only those with Dark Marks. That includes anyone who is already being held in Egypt. If he can’t find forty people with Dark Marks, then we will talk about having trials to find others that are deserving of the punishment. I will contact Grins and make the arrangements. I will also make more Portkeys.”

“Get Gabriel to make the Portkeys,” said Alastor.

“He has no idea where make the destination. We are not sending them to the bank, but to the deepest areas of the vaults, which is almost six miles away from the bank. I will need to make them. I also want to ensure Grins that I won’t be giving away the exact location of his vaults so others can make Portkeys to get inside of the vaults.

“I will take you to France and have a medically trained House Elf accompany you while to travel through Europe,” he told Amelia.

“There is something else that I need to share with everyone present,” he said rather dramatically. “Ginny has been doing research in the library of the Atlantean. She has come across a troubling condition of our magic. Ever since that Elf transferred his magic to Ginny, her magic has become more like a House Elf’s. My magic has also been changing because of our soul bond. Because our magic is so alike an Elf’s, we cannot kill. It will change us for the worse. I am not sure what is entailed in this change. It was something that the Elves never wrote down, because so many of them were around when this had happened. It is only described as a terrible fate will befall upon any Elf that kills.

“Ginny is working on a way that we can defeat Voldemort without killing him. She has found writings that support her plans, but the Elves handled their magic differently. They didn’t use wands or as many spoken spells.”

“You don’t’ have to kill him,” said Alastor. “One of us can do it.”

“No! There is a reason that all this has happened. I feel that I must stop him.”

“You can’t do that if you can’t kill him,” said Moody with more force.

“We can’t kill him now. There is still another Horcrux out there,” said Remus. “If we kill him he will become a mean spirit and will reform at another time and place.”

Remus turned to Harry. “Can you tell us what you are planning to do?”

Harry stared at them for several seconds. “You are going to think I am crazy, but there is documentation of this being possible. Ginny and I think we can turn Voldemort into a Squib.”

There was an audible gasp in the room, before Moody started to laugh. His laugh started out rumbling and low for several seconds before it became loud and booming. “That would be perfect fate for him. Turn him into a squib, Brilliant!”

“How would you do this?” asked Amelia. “Is there a spell?”

“No, there isn’t a spell, and it is all theoretical at the time. What makes all Elves magical, but only some of the humans? Was a question that the Atlantean Elf had thought about for thousands of years. He had proposed a theory towards the end of his life. Ginny had read it and thinks we could make it work. The biggest problem is we must contain Voldemort for several seconds to block his magical core from recharging. If you block it from gaining magic. He can’t use magic. He would be a squib for the rest of his immortal life.”

“Have you considered using this on any of his other followers?” asked Alastor.

“We had thought about it, as opposed to ordering executions.” Harry said looking at each of them. He could tell their joy about hearing Voldemort would become a Squib. It would be a cruel fate for that to happen. Voldemort couldn’t or wouldn’t want to exist without using magic. Many of them are the same way. Now that it had been such a major portion of his life, he didn’t want to ever lose it.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny was sitting in the library reading scrolls written by the actual Xenon during his captivity. She wondered if all of this was correct that she had read. There were things that seemed on one level surprise her, but on a deeper level she had always wondered if magic like this was possible.

Most magic beings lived longer lives than their nonmagical counterparts, but the belief that magic can extend a person to infinity was amazing. She also realized that there were some metabolic differences between immortals and mortals.

A feeling of hunger swept over her as she stood by the desk in the library. It wasn’t her hunger sweeping over her, but her baby’s. Her body reacted to the sensation of her baby’s hunger. She had to get to him immediately. Reaching out with her feelings she could locate Xenon at the Manor.

She was going to tell Harry that she was coming to feed their baby, when she realized that Harry wasn’t at the manor. He was at Diagon Alley, most likely at Gringotts. Certainly, he would not be walking around in the day time. It didn’t matter what her husband was doing, she needed to feed Xenon.

She appeared beside her son in the map room. Her father was holding and rocking his grandson. The room seemed to be empty except for the three of them.

“Give me my baby it is second breakfast time.”

Her father smiled broadly at her. He rose out of his chair to allow her to sit down. There were plenty of other chairs located in the manor, but they were not as nice to sit and feed a baby. As soon as Xenon started to feed, Ginny relaxed and could again concentrate on Harry. He was nervous about something he had to do. She tried to work into his thoughts to find out what was bothering him so much.

Hey, I can sense you in my head. I need to stay calm for the next hour. I am going to meet with Grins and several of his Upper Echelon goblins. Wish me luck.

She looked at his surroundings though the bond. He was walking back the hallway in the destroyed bank to Grins office.

Good luck negotiating with the goblins. She whispered the encouragement though the bond.

I will be needing it to convince him to work with us.

Ginny let the connection fade. She was positive that Harry would be able to work things out with the Goblins. Right now, she wanted to focus on feeding her little baby.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry felt Ginny’s presence leave him as he approached Grins. His stomach was tied up in knots. He knew that Grins wouldn’t let him get harmed. The senior goblin didn’t care about anyone else.

“To what do I owe the pleasure, Lord Potter?” asked the Goblin.

“We need your help.”

“I will not help until punishment of forty wizards and witches has taken place,” Grins said with finality.

“I remember Lord Gringotts,” said Harry. “I will be delivering to you many people to be held at the retaining cell in Egypt. They will arrive Stunned. You can take forty of the people who have been branded with dark marks. Do not behead anyone without Dark Marks without my permission.”

He held up his hand to slightly placate Grins. “Everyone who in going to Egypt must first stop here. If they had a Dark Mark, you are free to execute them. If they are not so marked you must move them to Egypt to be held until the war is over, or until I can decide which ones will be handed over to you.

Grins Gringotts sat there silent for several seconds, putting everything he had been told to memory. “I will help you with the transportation of the captives. How much has Mr. Weasely told you about our society?”

“He has been tutoring me on the differences between our societies.”

“I doubt he has ever experienced Goblin justice,” Grins stated calmly. “When a member of our society is grievously harmed, restitution must be made. I do believe that there is an expression among humans that goes; ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth’. Our justice system operates much the same way. A family member of the murdered goblins has the right in our society to exact justice for the one who harmed their family. We too have a court system. It is a tribunal and each accused will have their right to speak their mind before a judgement is decided.

“Our society holds combat in high honor. If one willingly submits to combat with another, and they die. Then there is no crime if they could defend themselves. The goblins that died never had a weapon or the ability to defend themselves. The families of the murdered goblins demand justice.

“You say that we can freely execute anyone bearing the dark mark. Why is that?”

Harry cleared his throat, before speaking. “They are followers of Voldemort. I should clarify. They are willing followers of him. No one can be given a dark mark against their will. The others may have been forced into action.”

“Very good, we shall look at people bearing dark marks as a member of the Dark Lord’s family. I feel that my society shall be pleased with those conditions. You see, Lord Potter, even though my family may be the leaders of goblin society we too must respect the rights of the goblins we lead.”

“There is one more thing,” Harry said nervously. “I would like to create Portkeys that would transport the Death Eaters directly to your caves. If we transport them to this building, Voldemort may try to attack it again. The Death Eaters may be able to follow the path of the Portkeys but they won’t know what depth into the earth it went. If they try to follow, they may appear in solid rock crushing themselves to death.”

“That would be a pity,” Grins smiled at his sardonic comment.

Harry smiled in return. He knew that if that happened people who had been forced to help may die. If it wiped out the rest of the Death Eaters though, he really wouldn’t care. They brought this on themselves.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny leaned back and smiled at the feelings coming from Harry. He had accomplished something and was happy. The goblins may demand a cruel price and call it justice, but it was understandable.

“Can you tell me about your plans to defeat Voldemort?” Her Father asked. “Harry said something about making him a Squib. How is that possible?”

“I have read some theories about why some of us are magical and why others are not magical. The Elves were curious about it because all of them are magical. There are no squibs in the Elvish society. They had been investigating what causes the differences between us. The Elf that sacrificed himself for Harry and I was a magical healer. He had magically healed both magical and nonmagical in Atlantis. He sensed a difference between them.

“It was he that was able to block all magic in Egypt. I have read about how he did it and I think we could apply it to a person to permanently block their magical core. Voldemort would never be able to cast a spell again.

“I would like to test it on something before we try the spell on Voldemort. I was thinking about a magical anchor for a shield, but I don’t want to cancel any of our wards. I don’t know where other ward stones would be.”

“We could talk to Bill about that, or…,” her Father stopped talking and looked to be in deep thought for several seconds. “I believe that the Ministry uses magical anchors like what you are talking about. They are magical objects that help them sense activities like underage magic and tracking Portkey’s. Maybe some of the refugees would know their whereabouts. It would even be helpful if the Ministry couldn’t track us anymore. Let me check with a couple of Ministry employee’s that I know.”

Ginny watched as her father stood and left the room. She had so many thoughts running through her head. Not only did she need to discover if this spell would work to stop Voldemort, they also needed to figure out how to disable him so they could lay their hands on him to cast it.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“…anyway, with my Dad being Muggle born, I really have no choice in the matter,” said Nymphadora Tonks, or Tonks as she wanted to be called. “I could hardly be a follower and not turn against my Mum and Dad. I am too loyal for that, after all, I was in Hufflepuff house for a reason.”

Remus smiled at the chatty witch. She was prattling along as if they were talking in a pub, when the situation couldn’t be any more different. They were in Cardiff Stunning Witches and Wizards as they arrived to take flight to keep the British airports locked down.

“So, you first met that scoundrel of a second cousin on the way to Hogwarts?” Tonks asked.

There was a sudden popping sound. In a flash the cute Auror Stunned both wizards before they could react. Remus quickly tied them up in ropes and Levitated them before they hit the floor.

“My you are good with your wand,” said Tonks roguishly.

Remus almost dropped the two wizards at her comment. He finished moving them to the next room that was almost full of Stunned Death Eaters. Kingsley and Sirius were waiting for the last two to come back from their rounds. He and Tonks had taken care of the ones coming in to start their rounds.

Tonks looked at her watch and put her finger across her lips to indicate that Remus needed to be quiet. It was time for the last couple to fly in from their rounds. Remus didn’t need to be reminded, because he wasn’t the one chatting nearly the entire time.

He was amazed at how funny and light hearted this witch was and yet she was also rather good at her job. A thought passed through his mind about asking her out for a pint when this is all over, but he quickly put it out of his mind. There is no way she would be interested in a werewolf.

The sound of people talking and a door opening could be heard in the next room. The conversation was cut short, as either Sirius or Kingsley Stunned them.

“That is all of them,” shouted Kingsley.

“In forty-five minutes, we have taken forty wands out of the fight. I would say that was a good day’s work, Boss,” shouted Tonks, as she walked to the other room.

Remus looked at everyone they had captured. Their clothes looked worn, as if, they hadn’t changed them since they started this embargo. He recognized several of the faces from previous skirmishes before Voldemort had overthrown the Ministry. They were now in the hands of Goblins. Many of them would not live to see the end of this war. In many ways, it bothered him that he was sending these people to their deaths, but they chose this path, and it is war.

Kingsley and Tonks placed the Portkeys on the Stunned Death Eaters and activated them. It only took about ten minutes to send them all to the Goblins.

“I wonder if Alastor is correct?” asked Kingsley. “If Voldemort will send out some his forces to investigate where the all the Portkeys landed.”

“If they do go, Moody will be ready for them,” said Tonks. “So, Remus, how about a pint to celebrate a good day’s work.”




Back to index


Chapter 40: Terror in Triplicate

Author's Notes: Voldemort strikes at the Order and shakes Harry's certainty of his protections. Amelia discovers that the battles in Britain have repercussions beyond Britain.


“I tell you,” said Tonks with a sigh. “I am disappointed in you, cousin, and your quiet partner here. I always heard you were never afraid to have a little bit of adventure.”

“We have more important things to attend to like destroying Voldemort and protecting Harry,” said Sirius. “We are having a pint together. It just happens to be at the Manor.”

The four had returned to Potter Manor in Scotland instead of stopping at a local pub in Cardiff as Tonks had wanted.

“I don’t think Harry needs your help with his misses hanging about. They are quite a formable team.” Tonks countered. “Besides this place is too clean and lacks the atmosphere of a proper pub. If I am going to toss back a pint or two I would prefer some dark dodgy hole to this mansion. I feel like I should put on some formal gown and ask if the Lady of the House is present.” Tonks said the last bit with an exaggerated accent.

“Yes, I am,” Ginny said from behind them.

They had entered the great hall and was going towards the dining room. Sirius let out a barking laugh at Tonks’ obvious embarrassment. Remus also laughed at her reaction. She was standing there staring at Ginny with her mouth open and trying to form words. Kingsley was also laughing a low rumbling laugh.

“I didn’t mean no disrespect, Mrs. Potter,” Tonks finally said. “You have a fine home here and I appreciate you taking us in…,”

“Don’t apologize,” said Ginny “There is no need. I understand this place can be a little intimidating. Personally, I miss my parents’ home with its unusual construction and chickens and gnomes running around in the garden.”

“Help! Somebody help us!” screamed a raspy voice from outside of the manor.

Everyone seemed to freeze for a second to see if it was a prank, but more voices shouted for help accompanied by screams of agony. They all knew it was no joke.

Tonks took off running with everyone else behind her. Ginny shouted for the Madam Pomfrey who was in the process of transferring beds and healing supplies from France to the main ballroom, since they could not use International Portkeys.

When Tonks stepped through the front doors of the manor she stopped running. The sight was shocking. There were ten wizards bleeding on the ground. They had been part of Mad-eye’s attack team of twenty. They were planning on attacking the Ministry employees who would have investigated all the Portkeys landing in the one spot.

Kingsley running past her shook her out of her stupor. “Tonks, assess and start field first aid. It looks to be the results of some very dark curses.”

Kingsley went to the nearest person. “What is wrong with you?”

The man was shaking on the ground. The Portkey was being gripped so hard in his right hand that blood was dripping from his hand onto his robes. “Cruciatus Curse, it was B-Bella-trix.”

“I can’t help you. Sorry, I need to look after the others.”

“T-the others are d-d-dead.” He stammered out. “M-m-moody too. It-t was him. He showed up.”

Tonks was bending over an unconscious wizard with a strange bulge in his mid-section. She was going exam him, when she saw in a tear in his robes. He had been hit by an Entrail Expelling Charm.

“Out of my way let the professionals look at them,” shouted Madam Pomfrey. She and the Healer from St Mungo’s was descending the stairs with ten House Elves carrying a stretcher over one shoulder and a bag full of potions in the opposite hand.

At the top of the stairs stood Ginny Potter. She was gently holding her baby in her arms, but she had a look on her face that scared Tonks. It was the blazing look in her eyes that made her pretty face look so frightening.

“What happened here?” she demanded. “I thought this was a low risk mission.”

“Moody assembled a team of twenty fighters,” explained Remus. “He thought Voldemort would send out his usual team of ten to investigate the Portkeys. The plan was to attack, disable, break the wands of the Ministry team.”

“Excuse me, Mrs. Potter,” said one of the injured wizards. His arm was in a cast, but otherwise he looked fine. “My I speak?”

“Yes, you may. Do you know what happened?”

“Yes, everything went as planned. The ministry team appeared. We Stunned them all, and were getting ready to break their wands, when another thirty from the Ministry appeared, and He and Bellatrix was with them. They had us surrounded and we were all in the open. He killed Moody immediately, while Bellatrix was putting everyone she could under the Cruciatus Curse. We were lucky to get out alive. The others are….” He trailed off as he looked around at the others being Levitated into the manor on stretchers. “I am afraid that they are probably dead.”

“Who made the Portkeys and did they have a failsafe charm on them?”

“Failsafe Charm? I do not know. Ask Gabriel, he was the one that made them,” replied the injured wizard.

“Yes, a Failsafe Charm that if the wizard or witch dies, the Portkey will deactivate.”

Tonks felt a chill in her bones. “Could they use the Portkeys to come here?”

“I am not sure,” said Ginny. She turned to Remus and Sirius. “Where is Bill?”

“I think he is out collecting more refugees,” replied Sirius. “If there is a possibility that they can breach our wards with the Portkeys, then we need to….”

“Prepare to be attacked,” snapped Ginny. “I’ll get Harry.”

Tonks watched in amazement as Harry Potter appeared beside his wife. Someone grabbed her shoulder, she turned to see Kingsley staring at her. “Stand watch, if they Portkey in they will come in firing curses. I am going to grab some more fighters.”

In less than five minutes, Tonks’ world turned upside down. She went from trying to chat up that bashful Lupin, to possibly fighting Voldemort. Why didn’t anyone think that Moody’s plan would fail. Their plans had always been successful before, this time it may have doomed them all.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia Bones laid in a French Hospital. There were two guards outside in the hallway and two inside of her sterile white room staring at her. The wall to her left was glass so her niece and sister-in-law could see her. She was not sure, but she imagined there were guards outside of their door.

They had Apparated to the French Ministry in Paris with the assistance of the House Elf, Claude, that the Potters had assigned to them, which was trained in healing. When they arrived, the French Aurors had confiscated all their wands and were trying to arrest her. She was able to keep them from formally arresting her sister-in-law and niece, but they were still prisoners.

She requested to speak to her counterpart at the French Ministry, Baxter Brace. She had met him before at the International Confederation of Wizardry Law Enforcement seminars. He was a stern man, and he was fair. He will not do anything rash, until he heard her side of the story.

She was questioned, by some members of the French Aurors, as they removed the dressings on her wounds. The Healers assessed her injuries before treating them and redressing the wounds. The pain was agonizing, and it amazed her that they didn’t give her anything to dull the pain. Especially since it might also have the side effect of making it easier to interrogate her. After the Healers redressed all her wounds, they and the Aurors left without saying a word to her.

It had been two hours now long enough for Polyjuice to wear off. She needed the French and the other European nations to understand that Voldemort may have taken control of the British Ministry, but he doesn’t represent most of the British citizens. They do what he wants out of fear, not because they agree. The other Ministries needed to give them time to destroy Voldemort. If he is destroyed, then everything can go back to normal.

The door to her room opened. She was surprised to see Braxton leading two other men and a goblin carrying a bucket into the room. The goblin with the bucket confused her.

“As you can tell, I am not using Polyjuice Braxton,” she announced for them.

“I understand that, but you may also have changed your appearance by other means,” he replied rather stiffly. “This goblin from Gringotts will help to determine if you truly are Amelia Bones.”

Without announcing what was going to happen. The goblin stepped forward and threw the contents of the bucket on her. The clear liquid splashed in her face. It was a strange liquid. It looked like water, but it didn’t feel wet or soak her clothing.

“What was that for?” she demanded of Baxter.

“That was to cancel any Charms to change your appearance,” said Baxter as he looked towards the goblin. “You may go now.”

The goblin looked at Baxter with almost contempt. It than looked at her. “My grandfather has once again pledged the goblins to assist the Potter Family.” The goblin bowed and left the room. The other three wizards stared at it in amazement as it walked away.

“What was that about?” one of the wizards asked the crowd in general.

“The Goblins have pledged to back Harry Potter and the resistance fighting Voldemort and his regime,” she said sternly. “I came here today to convince the International that the recent actions by the British Ministry are the results of Voldemort and his followers. They overthrew the government and started waging war on anyone who does not support them.”

“That does not matter,” said Brace. “War has been declared by the British government upon the rest of the world.”

Amelia stared at him. What he said didn’t make any sense, unless Voldemort openly declared war when she hadn’t realized it. “Certainly, he would not declare open war so soon, when he still hasn’t completely taken control of Britain.”

“The actions of your government…,” the one wizard, who spoke with an Egyptian accent said, before she cut them off.

“His government, not mine. He and his followers attacked and killed Cornelius Fudge and disbanded the Wizengamot. He has since declared himself as the King of Magic. There are many of us who are trying to stop him. We were able to stop him from causing any further damage to the Muggle government.”

“How did you prevent him from further damaging the Muggle government?” asked Brace.

“We planted some operatives in the government. The Muggle Prime Minister knew of our existence. Our governments have communicated before. When Voldemort had overthrown our Ministry, we put the Muggle government on high alert. We were fortunate, because one of the high-ranking officers in their law enforcement is a Squib. He convinced their law enforcement to trust us. The Muggle police killed several of Voldemort’s attackers stopping their attacks on Parliament and the Muggle Prime Minister. The Queen and almost the entire Royal family is under our protection.”

“The British Queen is under your protection?” asked a wizard with a heavy Teutonic accent. “How can you do that?”

“We have a safe house. It is actually more like a fortress.”

“You are exposing the British Royal family to a magical safe house,” shouted the wizard with the heavy accent. “How many other laws are you going to break?”

“We have no choice. We will Obliviate them before returning them to society.”

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room. She looked from one wizard to another. What had she said that created that type of a reaction. “What is it?”

After several long drawn out seconds Braxton finally spoke. “It appears that our society has been permanently exposed. After the attack on British Parliament and the attacks on the airplanes, Muggles around the world started to remember things that had been Obliviated. You know that when you Obliviate someone, you do not wipe their memory, but you make that memory inaccessible. Thousands of those bonds have been broken. People all over the world, upon seeing the video footage of these attacks, suddenly remembered things that had been Obliviated.

“Our society has been exposed and we do not know how to restore things to where they were before this all happened. The fact that you must face is it all started in Britain. The entire magical world blames you and your fellow countrymen for allowing this to happen.”

Amelia was numb. She laid her head back onto the pillow and stared at the ceiling. All her life has been dedicated to Magical Law Enforcement. It was a two-pronged effort. One was the enforcing laws to protect magical brethren from each other. The other prong was to protect the Muggle society from learning of the magical one. She has failed on both counts.

“What are your plans?” asked Baxter.

Amelia heard him, but in her present state she wasn’t even sure the question was directed to her. She couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that the Magical Society might have been irrevocably exposed.

“Amelia,” said Baxter more firmly. “What are you planning to do about this?”

“We must first stop Voldemort. Nothing else matters if we do not eliminate him. We think we have neutralized most of his most faithful and dangerous supporters. If he is alive, he will constantly be recruiting wizards and witches to his cause through lies and Imperious Curses. If we don’t stop him, he will move someplace else and try again.”

“I thought he was destroyed once by this Harry Potter,” said the Egyptian. “How is it he is alive again. Where is Albus Dumbledore? Why haven’t we heard from him?”

“Albus is assumed dead,” she said slowly. “He was at Hogwarts when Voldemort’s followers started to attack it. Eye witnesses reported that the entire castle exploded with such force that no stone was left standing. The part about Voldemort is complicated.”

“We have time to listen, Amelia,” said Baxter.

Amelia remained silent again. She could hear Moody in her head barking out not to tell them about the Horcruxes. She agreed that she shouldn’t tell too many people, but she was in a tight spot here. She needed to convince the International community that the Order of the Phoenix was fighting the good fight. How could she convince them, if they don’t know the blackness of Voldemort’s fractured soul?

“Amelia, are you going to answer us?” Baxter asked again.

“There are certain things that can’t be shouted out for all to hear,” she said in reply. “Certainly Baxter, you would understand that.”

“Vat, you don’t trust us,” shouted the German wizard. “Ve are the ones that should not trust you. Look at the trouble you have caused all of us.”

“You say that the reason for Lord Voldemort’s return is something that you do not want to discuss to the public, but we are not the public,” said the Egyptian wizard. “We are all top magical law enforcement in our countries. You can discuss it with us.”

Amelia looked at the Egyptian and the German wizard and hesitated. She had been to several conferences and conventions dealing with magical law enforcement and she does not remember either one of these men. She looked at Baxter. She remembered him, but not the other two.

“You, the German,” she said sternly.

“My name if Klaus Viktor,” he snapped back at her.

“I don’t remember meeting you before. I remember a Karl Wentz as the head of magical law enforcement. What school did you attend as a child?”

“Herr Wentz retired, and what does it matter what school I attended?”

“You attended Durmstrang, didn’t you? That was the school that many Death Eaters stated was run better than Hogwarts, because it teaches its students about the Dark Arts.”

“You cannot defend what you do not know about,” Klaus snapped back angrily.

Amelia turned to Braxton. “I will tell you and only you. You can decide if others can be trusted with the information.”

The German erupted again and started shouting in his native tongue at her. She thought she recognized several swear words, but it didn’t matter. As Herr Viktor was shouting at her, she noticed the Egyptian starting to look at him differently. It took almost fifteen minutes to get the other two wizards out of the room. Klaus was almost ready to fire hexes at her, but Braxton and the Egyptian, named Achmed, subdued him.

When the door finally closed, Braxton looked at her. He was obviously upset by what just happened. “I hope what you have to tell my will justify what we just went through.”

“I don’t trust Klaus, Braxton. There is something about him that I don’t trust. Certainly, you must have noticed or felt it.”

“That does not matter. Tell me this big secret.” Braxton was irritated with her. It showed in his posture and his harsh voice.

“Voldemort created Horcruxes,” she said calmly.

Braxton stared blankly at her for a second or two and then recognition hit. “Horcrux! With one of those he wouldn’t have died earlier. You need to find it…,”

“We found five of them already and destroyed them,” she said cutting him off. “We think there is only one more, but we are having trouble finding it.”

Braxton worked his mouth like a fish for several seconds before words started to come. “You found five and destroyed them, and there is still another. How many did he make?”

“We believe six. Having seven separate pieces of his soul he felt stronger and more invincible.” She watched as Braxton sat down in a chair by the wall. He sat there for several minutes working things through.

“I now understand what you meant by if we do not destroy him, he will just appear somewhere else and start over again. I do not know who I can trust with this information. The world is at each other’s throat. It is rumored that many people in Germany and Eastern Europe agree with Voldemort. This could quickly turn into a world war. Voldemort seems to be wanting this because the day after the overthrow of your Ministry all government officials from different lands were sent home in boxes. It is difficult to tell who to trust anymore.”

“Trust Harry and Ginny Potter. Without them I would be dead and possibly most of the British Royal family along with its Prime Minister. The Potters are the ones keeping Voldemort from a sweeping victory.”

“Unfortunately, they are just children. The International…,” Braxton stopped talking as Amelia chuckled at his comment about being children. “What is so humorous?”

“The Potters are children. They look to be in their twenties, but they have the magical knowledge of someone who is our age. They have studied nonstop for three years. The took their NEWTs and scored Outstanding on twelve different disciplines. Their soul bond aged them to full a full-grown wizard and witch. They also have a child together. The Potters are definitely not children.”

“I only thought they were eleven or twelve years old,” Braxton said apologetically.

“They are only twelve and thirteen years old, but they are very mature for their age. The soul bond aged them to full physical maturity. It was the only way for them to contain the surge in their magical core.”

“Will they come before the International Confederation of Wizards?”

Amelia sighed. “No they sent me, because I really can’t fight. They also hoped that you would recognize me and allow me to speak.”

“I think I understand a little bit better,” said Braxton. “Now about all these Portkeys that have been arriving from Britain?”

Amelia sighed and rolled her eyes. They are going to have a hard time understanding why there are so many Portkeys flying to one spot and nobody being discovered the location. She had to convince them. If she can’t convince Braxton, whom she considered a friend, then she didn’t stand a chance against people who hated her or were skeptical.

“The Portkeys were us, the Order of the Phoenix,” she started. “The Potter’s have estates in various countries, and we used them as safe houses. We decided to stop using the estates as safe houses after hearing about your plans to send Aurors to the locations where the Portkeys land.”

Braxton sat there and didn’t respond. Amelia only hoped he was taking this news well.

“These Potters what do they want for all this help they are giving your country. Are you sure you are not trading one problem for another?”

Amelia laughed at him. “You have no clue about Harry and Ginny. If you would meet them on the street, you would have no idea how powerful or influential they are. If you think we are selling out our country to rid ourselves of Voldemort, you are barmy. If Harry or Ginny wanted to rule the country, I would vote for them.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The sun was setting at Potter Manor, and Harry was wondering why Voldemort hadn’t tried attacking. Several theories were going through his mind. The worst one was that he had captured several of Moody’s fighters alive and were torturing them for information. Another idea was, he was waiting until the middle of the night thinking they had given up on a possible attack.

The thoughts of people being tortured for information was sickening to Harry. The idea that Voldemort was waiting to attack though was the most disconcerting. They would need to keep people on guard until he does attack. It could be tonight, tomorrow afternoon or night, and it could be in a couple more weeks.

They had already set up a rotation of guards around the landing area. He was standing watch until about three in the morning. Ginny was feeding Xenon and they would soon lay down for a kip. He can easily stay awake until three. Ginny could then relieve him for several hours while he gets some sleep.

The area around the Portkeys’ landing zone was surrounded by standing stones. They were eight feet high, two feet thick, and three feet wide and were spaced with four feet between them. They had been spelled into place to put a physical barrier between their forces and the Ministry fighters when they appeared.

The question was when would they appear. Bill Weasley had returned with several refugees a few hours ago, it had taken him longer than expected to transport the most recent group of refugees in place. After consulting with him, it was determined that it may be possible to Portkey someone through the wards, if the Portkey had been made within the wards. The wards though should stop the incomers, but he wasn’t sure for how long. Harry didn’t want to take the chance that people could be killed before the wards stopped the attackers.

He hoped that Voldemort would attack with all his remaining inner circle members. It would be grand to defeat and hold them here permanently when they tried to kill him or one of his guests. It would make ending this war easier. They could hunt down the Horcrux after blocking Voldemort’s magic making him a squib.

There was nothing that Harry would want more than ending this war today without anyone else being hurt. It was possible that could happen. Harry had not mentioned that possibility to anyone else, except his own inner circle. Remus, Sirius, Bill and several others stared at him with the oddest expression on their faces. He wondered if they thought he was barmy or totally wrong. It was Remus’s comment that made him realize how major it would be to stop Voldemort.

“I don’t remember a day in my life when people everywhere didn’t fear him. Today could be the end to it all.”

The shadows from the standing stones stretched out across the garden up the front of the manor. Soon the sun would set. The sounds of night time were already upon them. Here in this section of Scotland the sun set very late. It was nearly 9:00 and the sun had not completely set in the distant Scottish land. Harry was going to light a fire on the middle of the circle of stones so they would can see who was appearing in the Portkey area.

There was a sudden thud. In the middle of the circle, the bodies of Moody and the nine other people, who had been captured and apparently murdered, appeared.

Harry stepped towards them but hesitated. People all around him started shouting and running towards the bodies. Sirius shout rang out over the noise.

“Stop, everyone! It may be a trap. Stop!”

People stopped moving forward. Harry was just inside of the ring of stones when he noticed all the corpses had been tied together to one Portkey. Reaching out with his magic he could only feel the Portkey among all the dark magic resonating from the bodies. Why would they do that? There is only one reason to save the rest of the Portkeys, Voldemort was going to try to attack them.

“There are still nine Portkeys left. Voldemort is going to attack us,” he shouted. He was going to keep yelling but people had already stopped moving forward. Twelve sorcerers stood in a perfect circle leaning forward with their wands extended pointing at large pile in the center of a ring of stones. The dead laid in such a haphazard manner that they almost appeared to be large pile of laundry.

An arm moved among the mass of bodies, then another, all the bodies started to move. Voldemort had turned them into Inferi. Harry hadn’t been focused on the magic of the Inferi back in the Horcrux cave, so he didn’t recognize it. He watched in horror as the animated bodies of Moody and other Order members started to fight against the light rope that bound them together. It will only take a minute for them to brake the rope and move towards the living Order members.

“Move behind the stones,” he shouted. A quick glance revealed that everyone had complied. Without even using his wand he created a ring of fire inside of the standing stones. He knew that the fire would contain the Inferi, but they wouldn’t stop them. Even though he knew they were all dead and no longer were the people who fought with him, he didn’t want to consume their bodies with fire.

Harry, you have no choice. It hurts me to think that they are now Inferi, but they are no longer fellow Order members.

Harry knew Ginny was right, but it still hurt him as he willed the fire to move inward and consume the Inferi. His mind was filled with remorse when the ground shook. Three distinct thuds accompanied the shaking ground. Three giants had appeared in the circle of stones. The circle wasn’t large enough for them. The first was knocked down by the arrival of the second and those two behemoths had been toppled by the third giant.

Harry stared up in horror as the first giant was falling towards him. His first instinct was to Apparate away, but he heard the screams of terror coming on both sides. He had already started to turn, but stopped. Feeling the monster almost on top of him, Harry flung his arms out to the side and pushed the two Order members as far away from the giants as possible. He hoped that he didn’t hurt them; trying to save them. He only had time to form his strongest Shield around him before the Giant landed on top of him. Its weight and the weight of the other two giants might be too much for Harry to block with a silent wandless Shield

It hit Harry’s Shield at the same time he felt Ginny’s reach out for him. There wasn’t even a tug on his navel as he would feel with a Portkey. One instant he had the weight of three giants falling on him and the next instant he is being held by Ginny in their bedroom suite.

“Too close for…” Ginny stopped talking as the giants hit the ground shaking the manor. “…for comfort,” she finished saying to him.

Harry almost laughed at her. “My Shield would have held,” he said haughtily.

Ginny raised an eyebrow at his cheeky attitude. An explosion of sound caused them both to look at their sitting room balcony. Harry recognized the back of Clyde Ferndock. Clyde seemed to be firing a Muggle weapon, but it was much larger and louder than any he had ever seen.

“He found it in one of bunkers. He called it a heavy gun?” She turned to walk towards the balcony.

Harry felt guilty, he had briefly forgotten about the giants when he was so near Ginny. He hurried to the balcony to see what was needed. The balcony was only about twenty feet away. Clyde’s heavy gun roared endlessly as fire flew out of the barrel. He was moving it around pointing it below him. Harry stepped out onto the balcony first. He hadn’t heard the empty shells hitting the balcony floor. He stepped on a small pile of shells. The shell casings rolled under his foot. His face was going to collide with the marble handrail, until a small but strong hand grabbed the back of his dragon hide cape.

That is twice that I have saved you.

Harry smiled as he regained his footing. My Shield would have held.

“Harry, did you happen to notice what part of the giant was going to fall on you. Shield or no Shield, you would have had to shower three times a day for a week before I would kiss you.

Harry laughed at her comment. Unfortunately, Clyde stopped firing his weapon at that second, so his laugh seemed to ring through silence.

“Your family know their weapons Harry,” shouted Clyde. He had ear protection covering his ears, and twisted smile. “Fifty caliber armor piercing machine gun.” He slapped the weapon proudly. “It went through the giants hide until they started turning to stone.”

Harry looked down at the ground. Laying below the balcony were three stone giants. They hadn’t moved very far from the circle, but they were so large that they caused extensive damage. The first giant had fallen towards the manor, where he had been. The second one had fallen to the left but its feet were still in the circle. It extended out another twenty feet. The third one appeared to have made two steps towards the refugee tents. It hadn’t reached the tents, before it had turned to stone. It was still upright with a small tree trunk in it hand as a club.

Three things quickly appeared over the body of the first giant. They had appeared and ran off into different directions. Voldemort was going to use Dark Creatures to attack them. Harry only had a split second to recognize the creatures, Manticores.

He and Ginny went after two of them. They would have to let other people deal with the third creature. Harry felt guilty, but Manticores are fast moving killers that are practically impervious to magic.

If we tie them up, said Ginny.

They will quickly turn to stone. Harry finished for her.

Harry appeared in front of the manticore that was heading for the refugee tents. It dug its four legs into the ground, arched its back and roared like a lion from its human mouth. It almost appeared scared. He had no time to think about the state of the manticore’s mind.

A magical rope appeared around the manticore’s tail. It started winding itself around the tail and then the body in the second that the manticore gave him. Harry was doing this all silently. He hadn’t even raised a wand. He needed another second or two to finish casting these magical bindings before he pulls them tight around the manticore.

Two seconds was too long for a manticore to wait on its prey. It went to snap its tail at Harry, but it got tangled up in the magical ropes. Harry tried to pull the ropes tight, but the manticore had almost escaped them. Its tail was tied to its back, but its left front leg was free and the back one was only partially tied.

Harry used his wand to hit the manticore with his strongest Stunner. It fell to the ground with a crash as if its scales were made of steel. He quickly finished tying it up. It was secure and hopefully it will turn into stone before it can break free. He looked around for the third Manticore.

You didn’t Stun it first?

He smiled at her comment. His smile quickly faded as the sounds of the third Manticore reached him. There was some one screaming and several others firing spells at it. He turned to run towards the fight. There was a stone giant laying on the ground between him and the other Manticore. He apparated to the top of it to see what was happening.

Ginny appeared beside him. They simultaneously gasped at the dire situation. The manticore was facing down Bill and Remus. Even at this distance, Harry could easily make them out. They were standing between it and several other people. They were using their dragonhide cloaks to protect them from the deadly stinger while still firing spells at the creature. The spells seemed to bounce off the manticore and only made it angrier.

With a roar, it shot its stinger forward stabbing Bill’s cloak. The force of the blow sent Bill to the ground. Remus stepped between Bill and the manticore. The creature struck out again with its stinger. Remus had moved to block the stinger with his cloak, but he was off balance and went to the ground sprawled out beside Bill.

Ginny and he reacted as one. They both Apparated to different spots. She appeared in front of the manticore with her cloak raised to block the stinger from killing her brother or Remus.

Harry appeared behind it. He didn’t remember Summoning the Sword of Gryffindor, but it was out of his boot and in his hand. Swinging the sword with all his might he brought it down on the tail of the monster. The jolt of the blade colliding with its harden skin shot through his arm and shoulder, but the blade was sharp enough to cleave the tail of the manticore off.

It screamed in pain with a horrible mix of a human’s scream and lion’s roar. It turned to attack Harry, but magical ropes appeared and stopped it from clawing him. Harry pulled his wand with his left hand and Stunned the creature. It slumped to the ground, so Ginny could finish binding it.

Harry stared over the body of the nightmarish creature and saw Ginny smiling back at him. She had a slight smile on her face and a playful look in her eyes.

Later, she said in his mind. People need our help.

“How many of these things did Voldemort send?” asked Bill.

Harry looked away from his wife, to see the destruction around him. Bill had a haggard look on his face. Remus was standing up beside Bill with and even more dour expression.

“Three,” said Ginny. “Harry and I bound up the other two. They should be turning to stone soon.”

“I don’t know, Ginny,” said Bill. “This one had plenty of time for it to turn, but it is still alive. If they are bound and safe, we can sort this out. We should see if anyone needs our help.”

“Yes, I agree,” Harry said. He put the Sword of Gryffindor back and turned to see how much damage had been done. He had been so concerned about what Voldemort was sending them, that he hadn’t paid attention to see if anyone had been hurt. The sounds of people crying out in pain came to him. Had it been there the entire time and he hadn’t noticed it?

He saw the medical House Elves moving around assisting people. There were several people being Levitated onto stretchers and moved inside. Voldemort’s attack made him realize that they were not safe even in here. He had started to wonder if they could just go on hiding in here and pick off Voldemort’s forces in small skirmishes.

A tall stately figure strode across the field of battle towards him. Minerva McGonagall looked slightly disheveled as her hair wasn’t pulled back into the tight bun, he was accustomed to seeing.

“Mr. Potter,” she said primly. “The medical staff is gathering up the wounded. We should start cleaning this up. If you would like, I can oversee the cleanup of the grounds.” She stopped talking and looked at the manticore. “Is it dead?”

“No, we were hoping the wards would turn them to stone like the giants, but it hasn’t happened yet.”

“Yes, the giants what are we to do with them?”

“I guess we could put them in the garden as decorations. I’ve seen Muggles with stone statues in their gardens.”

Minerva turned to look at him. He wasn’t sure but he thought she smiled at him. It was quick and brief smile. “I am sure your father would have done the same.” Any hint of humor quickly left her face. “The Inferi,” she said somewhere between a question and a statement.

“They are going to need to be burned. I mean cremated.” He quickly corrected himself. There may be some relatives of the Inferi within listening distance. He didn’t want to be insensitive.

A wave a grief washed over Harry. Ginny was in shock at finding someone. She needed him. Ignoring Minerva McGonagall he ran to find his wife. She was staring at the ground beside a giant that they had moved. Remus was on his knees staring at the same spot on the ground. Bill was walking over to Ginny. He knew who it was before he even reached them. Sirius was dead.

Harry ran up and pulled Ginny into his arms. He went to look down at Sirius, but he couldn’t see much because his vision was bleary. Tears were welling up in his eyes. In one day, he had lost two people who he had considered confidants. Sirius was so much more. He was a connection to his parents. A person that his father had told him in a memory to trust above all others, and now he was dead.

His grief for the death of Sirius was mixing with Ginny’s grief and it appeared to be magnifying their emotions. Ginny loved Sirius as if he had been one of her own brothers. He had treated her with the greatest of respect. When he came to train them, he would often call them Lily and James. Ginny had enjoyed that. She had grown up hearing about how beautiful and courageous his Mum was. It was a compliment to be mistaken for her by one of her closest friends.

Harry gently kissed Ginny on the forehead as he held her to his chest.

“He helped me when I was missing Fred and George,” she said, so all around them could hear. “When I would get sad, he would always pull some prank on me and make me laugh.”

“Don’t be sad, Harry, Ginny,” said Remus. “You got him out of Azkaban. You helped him capture the real traitor, Wormtail.” Remus went silent.

Harry didn’t need a connection with Remus to understand what he just realized. Wormtail would probably be free now that Voldemort had control of the Ministry.

“All he wanted to do was protect you, Harry. He felt he owed your father a life debt. If James hadn’t taken him in after he left home at sixteen, Sirius might not have survived. Bella was still free and had a grudge against all those in her family didn’t worship Voldemort.”

Remus stood up and turned away from Sirius’ broken body. “Azkaban took a toll on him. I knew he wasn’t the same. I could tell when he had nightmares and didn’t get any sleep. We both hoped that the nightmares would go away with time. It had been three years and no improvement.”


Remus stared at Harry and Ginny with sad eyes. He laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “I didn’t want him to die. Please! Understand I wanted him to live for years and die and old man, but I think he knew what his last days would be like. Almost ten years in Azkaban, that much time started to break him mentally. I have a request. Can we bury him close to your parents?”

Harry had blink back tears at Remus’s request. He was also ashamed that he didn’t realize how bad Sirius’s condition was. “Sure, we will take him there.”

“Harry!” shouted Bill. “The manticores are still alive!”

Everyone snapped out of their sadness over Sirius’s death. Harry was furthered twisted up with grief and guilt. He never realized that Sirius was so bad and they lived in the same manor together for the past three years. He forced his emotions to get under control. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled slowly releasing his emotions.

Bill was smiling and shaking his head. “You two just inhaled and exhaled the exact same way. I hope you have your wits about you. I have no idea why the manticores are not turning into stone? They have been trying to kill members and friends of the Potter family.”

“We are going to need to kill it. We can discuss why the wards failed, later.” Harry positioned his hand to receive the summoned Sword of Gryffindor. It flew out of his boot with the handle sliding into his hand.

“Harry stop!” demanded Ginny. “You cannot kill it!”

Harry stared at her. In the split second that their eyes locked, they seemed to have an entire conversation. Ginny reminding him that the Elves were forbidden to take another creatures life. Harry turned and gave the sword to Bill.

“You are a true Gryffindor,” Harry said as he handed Bill the sword. “Do you mind taking out all three?”

A look of pride showed in Bill’s face as he held the ancient sword. “Let’s sort this, out.”

Stepping up to the side of the beast. Bill squared himself up with its chest. Pulling his arm back, Bill thrust the point of the sword into the beast’s chest. It screamed in pain for barely a second before collapsing dead on the ground.

“Let’s get the other two, before they break free.” Bill turned to run to the other manticores.

“Harry,” shouted Remus. “You two did good. We took on ten Inferi, three giants, and three manticores. There should have been many more dead and injured.”

Harry took off after Bill. He seemed anxious to use the sword again. He had Ginny were running a few paces behind Bill. How could Remus be so cheerful? His best friend was dead. Bill had to quickly change directions to avoid people moving around. There were at least ten people on each stone giant trying to Levitate it.

Harry told them to run to the manticore that he had tied up. As they approached it, Harry noticed all the refugees staring at the manticore. There were many that he guessed were Muggles because of their reactions to seeing it. They seemed to be repulsed at its grotesque human face on the body of a lion. The magical people were terrified of the beast.

Bill didn’t waste time killing the creature. He walked up to it, even though it was working out of its restraints. He stabbed the beast in its heart killing it instantly.

“You are getting rather good at that,” said Ginny.

“You wanted to fly with the Harpies,” said Bill. “I always wanted to be like Godric and slay fell beasts with his sword.”

Series of human screams were quickly drowned out by the horrific snarl coming from the last manticore.

“It might be getting free,” shouted Ginny. “Come with me.”

She grabbed their arms and Apparated them close to the last manticore. It was nearly out of its magical ropes. There were ropes all around the beast, but it had freed it legs and was working to free its deadly tail.

Bill ran headlong at the beast with the sword raised. Ginny and Harry panicked at the same time. Harry sent new magical bonds around its tail, while Ginny tied its legs together. Bill never slowed down. He ran up to it side and drove the sword into its heart. It died with a terrifying roar of pain.

“You bloody idiot!” Ginny screamed at him. “We had to cast all types of spells to keep it from killing you.”

“I knew you two would protect me,” Bill said with a smile. He cleaned to sword off with grass and dirt.

“Here you are Harry.” Bill handed Harry back the sword. “Remus was right. Three manticores in one spot, it should have been a great deal worse than it was.”

Harry nodded at Bill, but didn’t reply. He was still in shock from Voldemort being able to break through these wards. Were they safe here? Why didn’t the wards work to stop the manticores? They should have turned to stone like the giants. They stopped this attack, but what if Voldemort solved his blood wards. The one thing that Harry will not do is underestimate Voldemort’s intelligence and cunning.

Relax, Harry, we survived. Voldemort didn’t figure out our wards, or he would have sent ten manticores.

Where would he find ten manticores?

“If the two of you are done with your conversation, we have another situation over there,” said Bill. “The giants have been moved and now people are looking for their dead loved ones among the Inferi.”

People were walking around looking at the bodies of the Inferi. Harry had started to burn them, since that was the only way to truly stop them. He never finished destroying them with fire. It was possible that the corpses could start attacking their loved ones. Clyde was looking among them searching for his Uncle.

The unmistakable outline of Professor McGonagall talking to the people looking for their loved ones. Even from their distance, they could tell the Professor was ordering them to get away. One of the loved ones let out a scream and started jumping around.

Harry, Ginny, and Bill Apparated beside Professor McGonagall. She was surprised at their sudden appearance at first, but quickly relaxed and smiled at them. The Inferi were moving or their body parts were moving. An arm had grabbed onto the woman. It didn’t have a body attached to it, but it was still moving and searching for victims.

The other people started running away from the Inferi. Harry looked at them on the ground. All of them had been damaged by the giants, but most could still move their arms or legs. Alastor’s body had been smashed on the left side. His Inferi could move its right arm and leg. It was trying to stand up. All the Inferi that still had functioning legs were trying to stand up.

“We can’t burn them in front of their families and loved ones,” whispered Professor McGonagall. “They may not be living beings anymore, but they are all these loved ones have left.”

“We need to stop these soulless…,” Bill said. He stopped talking as he looked deep in thought.

“Duro,” shouted Bill. He cast a spell at one of the Inferi that was standing up. It froze when the spell contacted it. Slowly, it turned to stone.

“Excellent Professor Weasley,” said Professor McGonagall. “That should stop them.”

The four of them quickly started turning the Inferi body parts to stone. After ten minutes of constant spell casting all the Inferi were twisted stone figures. It was a sad thing to see, but they couldn’t hurt people this way. Their families were once again sorting through them trying to find their loved ones among the scattered remains.

“I do not know how long that spell will last. It may wear off in a day or two months,” said Bill in a whisper. “We still need to burn the bodies.”

“We can’t allow them to bury the Inferi,” whispered Ginny. “How can we tell them the threat is not over?”

“We will need to inform them that they can have a burial service, but the bodies must still be burnt,” said Professor McGonagall sternly. “I shall do that.”

The three of them watched the stern Professor walk towards the gathered families as they looked for their loved ones among the stone Inferi. Night had fallen completely so many of them were using their wands for illumination. The area was dimly lit from the glow from the manor’s windows.

“The reason why your wards didn’t work on the manticores was the same reason they didn’t work on the Inferi,” said Bill. He turned towards them so the family members couldn’t hear him. “They didn’t have souls. Without souls, there is no intent or evil thoughts and desires to kill. The blood wards of this manor are activated by the evil intent in one’s minds. The giants have a soul and wanted to harm someone to kill them. Manticores and the Inferi just kill without any thought.”

“Do you think Voldemort has figured that out?” Harry asked him.

“If he had, he would haven’t bothered with the giants,” said Bill. “I think we should be safe.”

“It doesn’t matter at this point, we are not safe here,” said Harry. “I thought we would be safe here. That Voldemort couldn’t touch us inside this sanctuary, but that isn’t true. I think we need to take care of our dead and wounded before we figure out a way to attack him to draw him out of the Ministry. He came out to attack this party, so maybe we can figure something out….”

“Harry, Ginny come look at this,” shouted Professor McGonagall. She was looking at something on the ground. It was in the center of the area where the Inferi had been laying. Most of the body parts had been removed in the short time that they spoke. Whatever was on the ground Professor McGonagall was walking around as though she was trying to avoid something.

Harry looked at Ginny and the stepped towards the Professor together. They were still five or ten feet away when she held up her hand.

“Don’t let it see you,” she said and motioned them to walk to her.

They walked a wide arc towards her. They were almost at her when she quickly moved towards them.

“It is moving,” she said as she motioned for them to go back the way they came.

“What is moving?” asked Harry.

“It’s Alastor’s magical eye,” she said, as she pushed Harry to move faster.

“He is dead,” said Harry. How could it be…,” He suddenly realized how the eye could be moving. Voldemort was spying on him.

A wave of anger coming from Ginny slammed into his mind. He suddenly knew what she wanted to do and it was brilliant. “Professor, we will take care of this,” He said calmly to her. “You will need to step back.”

Harry and Ginny stepped forward to the magical eye. It had spun around so it was not focused on them. It had been pushed into the ground from the giants falling on it. It was spinning around trying to see what damage had been done. It sickened Harry to think that Voldemort had used Alastor’s eye in such a manner.

Ginny stepped toward the eye. Her wand was in her hand but hidden behind her leg. Harry was beside her holding her hand. They were calling on all their magical power. The eye had not turned towards them. Harry focused on the ground surrounding them. A wall of dirt rose ten feet high encircling them. The eye must have noticed the barrier wall because it started to spin again. It spun until it was focused on them. Ginny leaned forward as though she was getting a closer look at the eye. The eye seemed fixed on her face. He knew the second she pulled her wand out from hiding. He closed his eyes as she cast her spell.

“SOL MAXIMA,” she shouted.

Harry saw the flash of light through his closed eyelids. His face felt sunburned from the blast of magical sunlight. He opened his eyes and it took a couple of seconds for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. The magical eye was just a small puddle of molten glass. The grass around it was burnt along with the dry cracked ground surrounding it.

“I hope he felt that and it burnt a hole through that sick mind of his,” hissed Ginny.

Harry looked at her. Her face was burnt and blistered. Her hair around her face looked a couple of shades lighter.

“You can drop the barrier now,” she said to him.

He complied and found the barrier to be surrounded by Order members and refugees. People were coming out of the tents and the manor house. They filled the area around the battle. He knew that the manor was a temporary home for over a thousand people, but he had not realized how many people were truly there until he looked out over them.

I am going up to Xenon. Talk to them tell them we are planning on going after Voldemort.

Harry watched Ginny disappear. He turned to the people. They were all looking at him waiting for him to say something. He had to be strong and certain for them. They had to believe he could defeat Voldemort.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Rookwood was hurrying through the Ministry. He had one objective on his mind. He needed to get out of here and out of Britain as soon as possible. When he took up with the Dark Lord all those years ago, it wasn’t just his ideology that drew him to the Dark Lord. It was his power. He had never met a more powerful wizard, except for Dumbledore. Even Dumbledore could not defeat the Dark Lord, they usually finished in a draw when they battled.

The Potters were different. Every time the Dark Lord faced them, he came away damaged. The only time you could say he had hurt them was when the Ministry fell. Everyone thought Harry Potter was dead, but he obviously wasn’t.

This last encounter was the most disturbing. The Dark Lord was using the Auror Moody’s magical eye to spy on the Order’s safe house. It appeared to go well until he screamed and flames erupted from his right eye. Bellatrix had ordered everyone out of the throne room, while the Dark Lord writhed on the floor in pain.

It was obvious that the Dark Lord, or the self-proclaimed King of Magic, was going to lose this war. He didn’t want to go back to Azkaban. He needed to find some place safe to hide far away from Britain.

Back to index


Chapter 41: Phoenix Rising

Author's Notes: A couple weeks later finds Amelia and Harry not much further in their individual quests, even though things are looking up for the Order.


Amelia Bones sat in her room across the street from the International Confederation of Wizards waiting to be called into the main chamber again. Over the past two weeks she had been called into the chamber to answer questions concerning Harry, Ginny, and the Order of the Phoenix. Without the Daily Prophet, there was little news coming from Britain, except what could be gleaned from the Muggle news sources. If something happened that the Muggles noticed, the questioning was always much longer and more intense. Even on days that seemed relatively quiet, they still called her in to question her. The ICW still hadn’t lifted its edict of Britain being an “enemy state”, but the members’ questions seemed to have softened over the past two weeks.

She felt helpless sitting here with her niece and sister-in-law. She should be home fighting, but she had only regained the use of her wand hand in the past two days. Even though she could use it, it didn’t react and move as it once had. It may take some time for her to regain her fighting abilities. A small part of her wanted Voldemort to survive until she could help bring him down, but she knew that he needed to be destroyed as soon as possible.

The ICW placed her in a nice place. It was more than a room. It was more of a suite with three bedrooms and adjoining bathrooms. It had a common sitting room and a dining room. It was probably larger than most people’s homes back in Britain, but it was feeling cramped right now. Susan had become impatient with her confinement. She was a teenager now and wanted to go out and explore Europe. However, they were still prisoners and were not allowed to leave the premise without an armed escort.

There was a knock on the door to the apartment.

“I’ll get it,” shouted Susan. She ran to the door and flung it open before Amelia could stop her. It could have been a Death Eater who had tracked them down. “Oh, I suppose you want to talk to my Auntie.”

“Yes, Miss Bones, I do want to speak to your Aunt.” Said the unmistakable voice of Braxton Brace. “May I come in?”

Susan turned with a sigh and walked away from the door. “Yes, you may come in. It isn’t like I could stop you.”

“Susan!” shouted Amelia. “Don’t be rude to the guests.”

Susan ignored her and walked to her bedroom and slammed the door. Amelia was tempted to go in the room and drag her niece out by the ear and make her apologize for her behavior.

“All things considered, I think she is acting rather mature,” said Braxton. He was standing there holding a wet wide-brimmed wizard’s hat. It was rain-soaked along with him. “She is what 13 or 14 years old and she has red hair.”

“It doesn’t matter that she is 14,” said Amelia with a smile. “The red hair though can’t be helped.” She looked at Braxton and saw he was accompanied by a goblin.

“This goblin wants to attend today’s ICW meeting with you.”

Amelia assessed the situation. He didn’t sound agitated about the meeting. “What is it about?”

“Can’t you guess by now,” said Braxton with a sigh. Every meeting had been about when Voldemort will be defeated and what will be happening in Britain after his defeat. “This goblin wanted to give you something.

“Madam Bones,” said the goblin, as he bowed and presented her with a letter. It was thick parchment, rolled up, and sealed with a wax seal that had an ornate “P” pressed in it.

Amelia thanked the goblin and took the scroll from him she opened it up and quickly read through it. It was a brief update on activities by both Harry and Ginny. It wasn’t anything that she hadn’t figured out from over here. They had been attacking Voldemort’s forces and preparing to drag him out of hiding to stop him. Over the past two weeks there had been no casualties in the Order. She just wished she could say the same thing about Muggle Britain. It appears that at least one or two people die with every attack.

“Are you ready?” asked Braxton.

“I was thinking that either you were late today or I may not need to go to the ICW Chamber today.”

Braxton laughed at her comment. “What would we do if we didn’t have you to interrogate. Politics can be so dull and boring at times.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Rookwood laid on the floor of the throne chamber in the Ministry with his eyes closed. He never escaped the Ministry that night. He was delayed by four inexperienced Aurors. He was out of practice, because he should have killed them and Apparated away. He had only killed three of them when Bellatrix appeared. He was never a match for her. She captured him and drug him back here as a captive and chained him to the floor to be tortured whenever Bellatrix felt in the mood to inflict pain. She was always in the mood to inflict pain.

His left leg had been broken and reset several times so it now has three bends in it that should not be there. His right leg had not been broken, because it was the one that had a bolt driven through it and attached to the chain. He looked down at the stub of his right hand. Bellatrix had removed his fingers one knuckle at a time the first night he had been captured. He will never be able to hold a wand again. His left hand had not been mutilated, yet. It was only a matter of time before she starts removing his fingers from that hand.

He has begged for death every day that he had been held here. That first week he had begged to be killed two or three times a day. Bellatrix hadn’t tortured him as severally lately. He knew it wasn’t because she had an iota of mercy in that black heart of hers. The exact opposite was true. She didn’t want him to die. She wanted to be able to torture him for as long as possible, for that she needed him alive and responsive. That is why he still had his eyes closed, so she won’t realize he is awake and start torturing him again.

“I can hear your mind crying, Augustus,” hissed the King of Magic. “Do you think you can fool me? I suppose you do think you can fool me. That was why you tried to leave me and run to Potter.”

“I wasn’t…,” he tried to speak, but his voice was raspy and barely above a whisper.

“CRUCIO,” shouted Bellatrix.

Pain shot through Rookwood’s body. He shook and twisted on the floor. His raw throat exploded in pain with his screams.

“Enough Bella,” said the King of Magic. “We don’t want to give him release just yet. I am waiting for my plan to be carried out Augustus, or did you fail me with that too? You did Imperious a family and send them to the Order to kill Potter and his whore? Why haven’t they killed them yet?

“You will remain chained there until Potter dies or that entire family is found dead. If there is a God, you had better pray for one of those things to happen so you can be free of this pain.”

Rookwood opened his eyes and stared into the King of Magic’s mutilated face. He wore an eye patch over what was once his right eye. The eye socket was a burnt and mutilated ruin. The patch wasn’t large enough to cover all the burnt skin and there was even some bone showing from his cheek.

Rookwood couldn’t help himself. The thought appeared in his mind and he knew the King was using Leglimency on him. “I hope that hurt,” he thought.

There was a flash of rage across the King of Magic’s face, before his wand appeared. “CRUCIO!”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Amelia sat in her usual seat in the chamber of the ICW. She was in the center facing the bench of the council of International magic. There was the Grand Mugwump and several other officers, and today there was someone different. He looked younger and was dressed rather casually for these types of proceedings.

There was something else different today. The goblin sat beside her. Everyone in the court room looked at the goblin like they had never seen one before. Everyone, except the Grand Mugwump, who was staring down at a pile of parchment.

“Madam Bones,” said the Grand Mugwump without looking up at her. “I would like to start off today’s session by once again asking you if you have heard from Harry or Ginny Potter.”

“Yes, sir, I have.” She said blandly. They asked that every day and every day she said no. They must have expected to hear no again today because the Grand Mugwump started talking again. The recording secretary stopped him.

“She said yes, Grand Mugwump” said the recording secretary.

“Yes, I received a brief letter from him,” she repeated for the court.

The Grand Mugwump finally looked up at her. He looked confused that she had received a letter from Harry. He appeared to be more confused by the presence of the goblin in the court room.

“Where did that come from?” he demanded of the guards pointing at the goblin.

Amelia could feel the tension in the room increase tenfold. The goblin, Grins Gringott the third heir, didn’t’ seem to react openly to the comment.

“Grins Gringott the third heir is his proper name,” Amelia said calmly.

“I don’t care what he is called. I want to know why he is in a court for wizards only,” demanded the Grand Mugwump.

“He is here with me. We are allies in the fight against Voldemort,” she proclaimed for everyone in the court to hear. There was a small murmur go through the court room. It was barely perceptible, but Grins seemed to turn his head and gave her a small smile.

“I am the head of the Gringotts bank in France and Belgium, which is where this building resides, and the accounts for this institution are located in my branch,” said Grins the third with more than a vailed threat. “I am here on behalf of Lord Potter of the House of Potter.”

Upon calling Harry, Lord Potter, a murmur started in the chamber. Amelia knew what everyone was thinking.

“The Gringotts family refers to Lord Potter out of respect for him and his house. We do not look upon all magical families the same way. If you think that Harry Potter demands that we call him Lord, because he is like Tom Riddle, you are completely wrong.”

The young wizard leaned forward. “Why does the Gringotts family look so favorably upon the Potter family?”

“The Potter family has had close ties with the Gringotts family for over a thousand years. They are considered friends of the Goblin nation.”

“I find that fact very interesting,” said the Grand Mugwump. “Madam Bones, did you know about this relationship?”

“Only after meeting Harry Potter and joining the Order of the Phoenix did I learn about the relationship that the Potter family has with the goblins and House Elf communities. The Potter family has always been an important family in Britain. Even though they tend to be rather reclusive.”

“Very well,” said the Grand Mugwump. “I don’t think I ever met one of the Potters,”.

Amelia wondered about that statement. He was an older Spanish wizard. If she was to guess, he may be as old as Dumbledore. It was possible that they had crossed paths at some time.

“So, goblin,” said the Grand Mugwump brusquely. “Now that you have had your say….”

“I have not said what I came here to say,” Grins said calmly even though he cut off the Grand Mugwump.

“Very well, say it,” the Grand Mugwump ordered Grins.

“The Lord Potter has been in conversation with the British Muggle government. He has promised them a line of credit through the Gringotts bank of 10 billion euros to help rebuild the damage caused by this war. The Muggle government will receive this money without interest for ten years. It is Lord Potter’s intention to establish good relations with the Muggles.”

“10 BILLION EUROS,” shouted the young wizard on the council. “Your bank agreed to do this for Lord Potter? I find that impossible to believe.”

“So do I,” said the Grand Mugwump.

People were starting to talk out loud in the chamber. Amelia was shocked at the amount of money that was being offered the Muggle government. She couldn’t imagine the Gringotts family going along with this. How Harry could exert this much influence over the goblins?

“Order in the court,” shouted the Grand Mugwump. His magically enhanced voice echoed off the walls of the chamber. “I find it hard to believe that the Gringotts bank would agree to such a loan. I understand that you look upon the Potter family as ‘friends of the goblins’ but why would you agree to give Muggles so much money?”

The Goblin sat calmly and stared at the council. He even looked to smile a toothy smile, before talking. “I don’t think you fully understand. The Potter family and the Gringotts have had a long standing personal relationship for over a thousand years, because the Potters financed the bank and own all the buildings that the banks reside in. The Gringotts family and other goblins used the Potter family fortune to operate the bank. Even though the bank is called Gringotts, it is half owned by Lord Potter and his family. If he wishes to extend a line of credit to a Muggle government to reestablish a working relationship, he can do that. It is his money.”

The entire chamber was silent. Amelia was shocked. The idea that the Potter family had so much wealth and yet she can never remember them personally flaunting it.

“I have said what I came to say,” said Grins, as he stood up.

“I have a question. Why have the goblins never rebelled against the Potter family, particularly since they have so much to gain if the Potters would die?” asked the young wizard.

“Ancestors of Harry Potter risked their lives to save my ancestors during a goblin war a thousand years ago. They did so without asking anything of the Gringotts family. That puts myself and all the members of my family indebted to the Potter family. Goblins live by old magic. We could never betray that trust. For as long as the Potter family exists, the Gringotts will not raise a weapon to a human.”

“If the Potter family gets annihilated as what might happen. What happens then?” asked the Grand Mugwump.

“Have a good day, wizards,” said Grins as he bowed and left the silent chamber.

Amelia was surprised but not completely shocked at what she had heard. The relationship between the Gringotts family and the Potter family was too strong to exist without a magical bond of some type.
“Madam Bones, I can assume by your shocked expression that you didn’t realize the relationship between the Potters and the Gringotts was so close.” Said the Grand Mugwump.

“I knew it was a strong bond and a relationship that had a great deal of respect holding it together. I never knew about the wealth of the Potter family. Everyone in Britain knew they were wealthy, but I had no idea how wealthy they are.”

The letter in her hand brought her thoughts back to the present. “I have a letter from Harry Potter. Allow me to read from it.

We have sensors in place that will detect when magic is being used around Muggle locations. It helps us respond to random attacks. If someone even Apparates to a location without us knowing it. We will send a team out to defend against attacks. Unfortunately, we cannot prevent all Muggle injuries, but the Muggle authorities understand the situation. They are also helping us by stationing specially trained forces who are familiar with wizards and witches in critical locations. They have been starting to rebuild since the blockade had been destroyed.

It appears that the Order has been able to contain Voldemort’s forces, but we have not been able to remove him from his position. Until we defeat him, I am afraid the battles will go on.

The idea of storming the Ministry to defeat him has been discussed, but the losses that would result are unacceptable. If we can get him to leave the Ministry where we can defeat him, I believe the war would practically be over.

I realize that the entire world wants this conflict to end, but the death and mutilation of hundreds of members of the magical community does not seem worth the end of this conflict. We can essentially neutralize his attacks on the community until we finally defeat him and remove him from the Ministry.


Amelia looked up from the letter to the council. They all looked concerned. “I realize you want this messy war over, but I agree with Harry. It is unacceptable to lose so many lives unless there is no other option.”

The Grand Mugwump sighed before speaking. “I can appreciate Mr. Potter’s concern over the lives of his fellow compatriots, but this war must end. Each day this war goes on the more the magical community is exposed.”

The Recording Secretary spoke up. “How are the Muggle troops being trained without our society being exposed?”

“I imagine that the Order has trained a few of the Muggle security agents. That should keep the exposure of our society to a minimum,” Amelia responded hesitantly. She wasn’t sure how Harry has been able to train the Muggles so quickly.

“I doubt if the Order cares much about not exposing our society,” snapped the young wizard. “I have pictures here that show scenes that have been appearing over Britain for the past two weeks. These are Muggle photos so they do not move, but I assembled the photos so you can look through them and see what the Muggles have been seeing on no less than ten occasions in the past fourteen days. Last weekend there were six sightings.”

The Grand Mugwump Levitated a bound stack of pictures toward her. She realized he was looking at them at the start of the meeting. The stack dropped on her lap. She picked them up and started leafing through them. They started out as a Dark Mark glowing in a grey cloudy sky. The sight of seeing that sent chills up her spine. As she looked through the stack of pictures a scarlet and gold spectral Phoenix appeared in the sky and destroyed the Dark Mark. The last picture was the spectral Phoenix soaring in the sky with its wings spread wide.

She couldn’t help but smile at the pictures. Harry had created something that could destroy the fear of the Dark Mark. This must be eating at Voldemort. It amazed her that he hadn’t come out of hiding to destroy whoever is creating the Phoenix.

“Madam Bones, what do you have to say about this?” asked the Grand Mugwump.

“The first picture is the Dark Mark. It was created by Voldemort to strike fear in people who saw it. The Spectral Phoenix was created by Harry Potter to counteract the Dark Mark’s terror. He first created it after the Order destroyed the werewolf pack that was chasing after a group of Muggle born students.”

“Mr. Potter is showing complete disregard for the Statute of Secrecy,” yelled the Grand Mugwump.

Amelia sighed before speaking. She needed to get her emotions under control, because this organization’s obsession with the Statute of Secrecy was annoying her. “Grand Mugwump and members of the ICW, two weeks ago I was told that because of Voldemort’s attack on the Muggle British society Muggles throughout the world now knows about us. Yet, all everyone seems to be obsessed about is the Order of Phoenix keeping our society a secret. Shouldn’t we be concerned about reaching out to the Muggles and start discussions about moving forward. That appears to be what Harry has already done by offering money to the Muggle government to rebuild the country.”

She stared at their open mouths and stunned expressions before they all started shouting in their native language.


[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harry walked across the garden of Potter Manor towards the new memorial park. It was a small place set to the south of the manor and tents that allowed family members and close friends mourn their dead loved ones. It had several temporary graves with small headstones, and ten urns of the ashes of the Inferi.

He was not coming here to mourn, but to talk to someone who was here. Remus Lupin would visit this place two or three times a day to talk to Sirius. There was news that Harry needed to tell him. He wasn’t sure how Remus would take it, but he needed to know anyway.

Harry stopped in his tracks as he saw that Remus wasn’t alone. Nymphadora Tonks was with him.

This could be just two people mourning a mutual friend, but it didn’t appear that way to Harry. Tonks was sitting too close to Remus and she was also holding his hand. Harry suddenly started to feel awkward about approaching him. The news could wait until they are done mourning. Remus’s response wouldn’t change anything. Harry couldn’t change the outcome if he truly wanted to anyway, so Remus just needed to hear and accept the news.

They look good together. Ginny said in Harry’s mind.

Yes, they do look good together, but I need to talk to them.

By all means, talk to them. Don’t let me stop you.
Ginny said in his mind.

Harry sighed at the conversation. He didn’t realize that he had made so much noise, because both Tonks and Remus looked around at him. Remus reacted first. He slid away for Tonks’ side, while Tonks had a hurt expression at his action and slide further from him.

“Lovely day,” Harry said in a way of a greeting. It was a stupid comment; the weather had turned sour in the past twelve hours. There was a constant light drizzle that felt like ice pellets.

“Your spot on, mate,” said Tonks with a smirk. “I don’t suppose you couldn’t ask for a cheerier day.”

Harry laughed at her comment and sat down on a bench closest to Remus. He couldn’t think of a gentle way of saying this, so he blurted it out.

“Wormtail has been captured again,” said Harry as calmly as possible. Remus looked at him. “He had a Charmed set of manacles locked on his ankles to block any further transformations. He is the fortieth Death Eater taken.”

Remus stared at Harry with a strange expression. It was as though he wasn’t sure if that was the truth. “Good, he deserves what he is getting. He made the choice to sacrifice the lives of his friends to save his own.”

Remus turned back and stared at Sirius’ grave for several seconds before speaking again. He didn’t turn his head to look at Harry. “Thank you for telling me that he had been captured. I was hoping that he wasn’t free. Did the raid go well?”

“Yes, it did,” replied Harry. “We captured another eight followers.”

“Only eight?” asked Remus.

“That was all. I am starting to wonder if he is running out of followers to send on his missions.”

“That would be nice to hear, unless he decides to escape. Have you been sending up the Phoenix?”

Harry nodded yes to Remus’s question. “We have been destroying every indication that he is in control, and he still won’t take the bait.”

Remus looked up at the distant horizon, while deep in thought. “I hope he doesn’t decide to flee. We may never find him again. Do you think he has retrieved his Horcrux and fled the area?” asked Remus.

“I can’t say yes or no,” said Harry. “I hope that he hasn’t. I can’t imagine trying to hunt him down. If he is hiding somewhere in the world.”

“You know that I will be there right bedside you for as long as you want me,” said Remus.

Harry smiled at his father’s friend, but no longer. Remus was his friend now. “I always heard my father had good sense in choosing his friends. Thank you,”

“Before the two of you start snogging, I’d like to come along,” interjected Tonks with her signature vibrancy.

Remus smiled at Harry. “She is good with a wand.”

“How would know?” asked Tonks with a wink.

Harry sniggered at Remus’ reaction. He was obviously embarrassed by her innuendo, but Harry had an idea that he was also curious. “If you can get away from the Auror Department, I would be pleased to have your assistance.”

“I will quit now,” she said.

“Don’t quit now,” said Harry. “He may still be holed up in the Ministry. We will need to reassess our situation. It may be time to storm the Ministry.”

“When are you going to call a meeting?” asked Remus.

“Tomorrow evening, we will try to kick around the idea of storming the Ministry. I don’t look to be doing that for at least another week. I need to get moving, and make the rounds for moral support.”

Harry stood up to leave the two of them alone to go back to whatever they were doing. Remus stood up and extended a hand to Tonks; helping her up off the stone bench. She gave him a warm appreciative smile.

“Mind if we walk with you?” asked Remus.

Harry nodded appreciatively to them. It wasn’t that he felt the need to have guards, but he enjoyed having someone to walk with him as he moved about the little settlement that was once his garden. They started walking towards the tents where the refugees were living. Harry would smile and say hello to people as he met them. Many would trade salutations, some would shy away from him, and a few more outgoing gregarious types would strike up conversations with them. They had walked around the tents and towards the manor house when they came upon a nervous man. He seemed out of sorts and muttering thing under his breath. Harry looked sideways to Remus and then Tonks. They seemed at a loss for words.

“You’re Mr. Robertson,” Harry said stepping forward. “You helped me locate the sensing stones that we turned on the Ministry. I remember seeing you, but I never got the chance to thank you.”

Harry stepped towards the nervous man, but stopped as the man’s eyes went wild and he pulled his wand on Harry.”

Back to index


Chapter 42: Power of the Love Bond

Author's Notes: Harry and Ginny expand their abilities using the powers of the Love Bond. I can't believe I messed up the title. The Power of the Ove Bond has been changed.


Harry froze and stared at the wand shaking in Mr. Robertson’s hand. He could sense the magic being created in the wand, but there was also other magic present. There was the magic of his wards affecting Mr. Robertson, and another magic, dark magic, that was working on this man. Harry had sensed all this in barely two seconds.

Robertson must have been Imperioused to kill him. He was fighting against the curse, but he was having a difficult time fighting it. As he called on the Killiing Curse, his hand would start to turn gray as it turned to stone. As he fought against the Imperious Curse, his wand would lower and his hand would turn pink again.

A red spell hit Mr. Robertson sending him to the ground. Harry turned to see Tonks holding her wand. “I think he was going to curse you Harry. Why didn’t you do anything?”

“He was fighting the Imperious Curse,” said Harry staring at the man lying on the ground. “I could sense it. He must have been cursed before he came into the camp. I remember that he would tell Arthur where the stones were located, but he would never come to see me. He must have realized that he had been Imperioused.”

“What are we going to do with him?” asked Remus. “We can hardly let him remain here.”

“I am not sure,” said Harry. “I will go back to the manor. Can you two Ennervate and question him?”

“He may not know he had been Cursed,” said Tonks.

“Talk to him. Let me know what he says. I need to talk to Ginny.” Harry walked away from them. He wasn’t sure if they should try to use Mr. Robertson as a test subject. He was after all an innocent victim.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The King of Magic sat on his throne and glared at the worthless subjects before him. They were weak and stupid subjects. They were the reason that Potter had not been defeated yet. He had spent years planning this out. Even before that fateful night when his spell backfired on him. The only reason he had not overthrown the Ministry then was because of Dumbledore. He should have taken it then. He was the most powerful wizard of all time. No other wizard had defeated death.

He was immortal!

“Dawlish, how many wands do I have?”

“Forty-five, your majesty,” said Dawlish. “We have been losing about twenty a week on our raids.”

“Then stop the raids, you idiot. Train your fighters better. We need at least a hundred wands, if we are going to defeat the Potters. We can no longer concern ourselves with the Muggles. We need to defeat Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, before refocusing our war on the Muggles. Have them ready within a week.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Everyone around the table stared at Ginny and him. They were all skeptical at what they were going to attempt. He had spoken to Ginny about the possibility of removing an Imperious Curse without seriously harming a person’s mind or magic. It would be a more delicate procedure than just removing their entire magical core, as they planned to do to Voldemort.

Remus and Tonks interrogated the Robertsons. Quentin realized he had been Imperiused by someone, before he had even entered the manor’s grounds. He had never been an aggressive person, but when he had heard Harry’s name the desire to kill welled up inside him. His wife had the same feelings too. They had decided to try to work with the Ministry to avoid fighting, but they also had a strong feeling of wanting to go into hiding. Tonks spoke with their children and decided that neither of them had been Imperiused. They either had to lock up the Robertsons or eliminate the curse. If they were going to lock them up, it would be for life, because the Imperius Curse would last for forever.

“We can do this,” stated Ginny with confidence. “It would be best if they are asleep. A simple Sleeping Charm should work. It will be a delicate procedure and more difficult than removing all his magic. Harry will need to be careful what he removes and that he doesn’t remove more than that one spell.”

“Will it permanently damage them?” asked Arthur.

“I don’t think so,” said Ginny. “We will try our best not to damage their magical core.”

“Quentin is an important member of the Ministry. You can’t permanently damage his magic,” said Arthur.

“I discussed what Ginny and Harry were going to do with them,” said Remus. “The Robertsons are willing to have them remove the spell.”

“Do they understand there is possibility of losing their magic?” asked Arthur.

“Yes, they do,” said Remus. “They also understand that unless this Curse is removed they will always be a threat to the Potters. They are willing to risk losing their magic to be rid of this Curse.”

Harry watched Arthur stare down at his hands. He was nervous about the possibility of hurting an innocent person. The Robertsons were victims. Someone from the Ministry Cursed them, realizing that they would either kill him or be killed themselves.

“I will go and cast the Sleeping Spell,” said Remus standing up from the table and leaving the conference room.

“I would like to discuss what we are going to do about Voldemort,” said Kingsley. “Some of the prisoners have been asking us when we are going to attack the Ministry.”

“Can we trust what these people are saying,” asked Bill. “They may be trying to send us into a trap.”

“They could be lying to me,” said Kingsley calmly. “I don’t think they are. The Ministry forces are very thin. The last group we captured had been in the clerical pool before the overthrow. None of them had experience at fighting. They also said before we attack the Ministry. We need to free the children from Malfoy Manor. I guess Voldemort took them away from their parents, and they are being held at Malfoy Manor. They were sent there because Hogwarts was unavailable. Voldemort was going to give them a proper education.”

Professor McGonagall gasped, “Those poor children.”

“Many of those children are sons and daughters of Death Eaters,” said Kingsley.

“They are still children, Mr. Shacklebolt,” snapped Professor McGonagall.

“We must rescue the children,” said Arthur. “Harry…,”

“I agree,” said Harry. “What do we know about Malfoy Manor? What should we do with the children when we rescue them?”

“I would like to help with the planning,” spoke up Professor McGonagall.

“I will work on a plan to attack the Manor, with a minimum of human loss,” said Kingsley.

“Can you do this within a week?” asked Harry.

“I can’t guarantee that, Harry,” said Kingsley. “I won’t present you a plan until it has been thought through several different ways.”

“I understand. I don’t want to lose people because we didn’t take the time to think this through” said Harry. “I want this to end, but I also value people’s lives.”

He felt Ginny rub his arm. Looking at her, he saw her smiling at him before he felt her emotional approval in his mind. He noticed that Remus had reentered the room. Ginny turned to look at Remus too.

“They are ready,” Remus said calmly.

Harry looked at everyone around the table. They all knew where he and Ginny were going, and many didn’t approve. Arthur couldn’t look at them. He sat there and stared straight down at the table.

Harry offered Ginny his arm as they walked out of the conference room. They walked into the foyer and up the stairs to the bedroom where the Robertsons were sleeping under the influence of a Spell. They were lying face up on two beds their hands out to the side of them, so their hands were a foot apart. Their eyes were shut and the only indication they were alive was the slow rise and fall of their chests.

We will work on Quentin first. You go on the right side of him and be on the left. We must work as one to do this.

Harry looked up at her as he stepped between the beds and walked to Quentin’s head. He placed one hand on Quentin’s head and the other over his heart. Ginny did the same. They stood there over Quentin and stared in each other’s eyes for a second or two before closing them.

Harry felt Ginny’s presence flow into his mind. He could sense her ability to feel emotions and how to magically heal someone. Quentin Robertson appeared differently to him. With his eyes closed he could see or sense him in his mind. His skin, muscles, tendons and organs all appeared like a three-dimensional picture under his hands. Even the blood flowing through his veins appeared to him. Ginny pulled Harry deeper down inside of Quentin to the level of the cells. He could sense and see the individual blood cells pulsing trough the vessels.

Harry then saw something else beside the wizard’s metabolic construction. He started to see his magical core. It first appeared as a cloud of various colors with tendrils stretching out to all parts of his body. It seemed to run parallel to his nervous system. This time it was Harry pulling Ginny’s consciousness with him as he looked at Quentin’s magical core. The cloud appearance slowly disappeared as he focused closer on the magical core. There were hundreds of bubbles of various colors. They were not perfectly formed but flexed and shifted to fit with the bubbles of magic beside them. As they moved closer to them, they noticed that the bubbles were interconnected with ultrafine threads. These threads were multicolored and there appeared to be hundreds of them connected to each bubble. The immensity of the task before them, frustrated Harry and Ginny.

Harry, how are we going to find the Imperious Curse in here?

I am not sure. I can only hope that the color is related to the type of magic.


Things started to become clearer to him as he thought about how to distinguish Quentin’s magical core from the Imperious Curse. He noticed that there was only one thread that appeared to be black attached to these bubbles of magic. The black threads became more obvious after noticing the first one. As he started following them he noticed they were becoming more plentiful, and the magical core denser. They came to a point where the black threads started running from the other direction. The magical core was now so dense that it was impossible so see between the various bubbles.

Ginny, I think whoever cast the Imperious also Obliviated him. The Imperious Curse is buried deep in his magical core.

Harry, we are in his mind. We must be careful or we could destroy his mind. Can you just cut the threads and leave the curse?

We would be here for days. Let me reach deeper into his core and find the actual curse.

Harry, I can feel we are affecting him. If I call to you, you must stop or we could kill him.

Trust me Ginny.

I trust you.


Harry became even more sensitive to the magic in Quentin’s core. He could detect the dark Imperious Curse, or what he hoped was the Imperious Curse.

Harry, you need to be sure.

Trust me!


With the gentlest of pressure, he started to pull the black bubble of magic out of the center of the core. As it moved, he could feel Quentin’s body reacting and Ginny working to stabilizing him. He couldn’t move any faster than he was moving. He could sense through his connection to Ginny that if he did, he could possibly kill him. Slowly the dark bubble of magic moved out from Quentin’s magical core. As it freed itself, Harry relaxed his draw on it, only to see it move back into magical core. He again drew it out to him. He had to do something, because this was causing Quentin’s body a great deal of stress.

He formed a magical barrier around the Imperious Curse so it could not reenter the core. Focusing his magic on the curse, he drew it inside of his magical core. The bubble twisted and morphed into a variety of shapes almost as though it was fighting him. As it did this the threads started to retract back into the original bubble.

Quentin’s body started to shake. Ginny was trying to keep him calm and stable, but Harry could tell she was also worried about him.

The bubble finally disappeared from inside of Quentin. Harry could sense that he had contained it inside of him and was able to prevent the Unforgivable curse from entering Ginny’s magical core.

I need to back out of him. Will he be all right?

We need to move slowly. I will stabilize him. Harry, what are you going to do with the curse?

Treat it like a bad memory.


He moved away from the magical core and he moved back through Quentin’s body as he had entered with sensing the individual cells then his organs before he was outside of Quentin’s body. He opened his eyes to see Quentin breathing evenly on the bed. Ginny was staring at him with concern in her eyes. He just smiled at her.

With a flick of his wand he created a small glass vial. He grabbed the vial in his left hand and placed the wand tip to his temple. He pulled the Imperious Curse out of him. It hung like a black spider web to the end of his wand. With a snap of his wrist, he sent the curse into the vial.

“Did it work?” asked Remus.

His question snapped Ginny and Harry out of the moment.

“Yeah, it worked. It was a bit touch and go, but it worked,” said Harry. He held up the vial with the black mist inside.

“The two of you just stood there not moving with your eyes closed and your hands on Quentin for about two minutes.”

“Only two minutes, it seemed longer than that,” said Ginny.

“Do you feel strong enough to do the same with his wife?” she asked Harry.

“Yeah, should we wake him first and see if he is fine?”

Ginny thought for a moment before looking at Remus. “It was your spell. Do you mind cancelling it on him?”

Remus didn’t even move from his spot in the doorway. With a flick of his wand the sleeping spell was cancelled. Quentin Robertson woke up and stared at Harry and Ginny standing over him. There was a brief look of fear in his eyes, before he smiled.

“I don’t feel the compulsion to kill you,” he whispered. He turned to look at his wife still asleep. “Is she?”

“We wanted to check and make sure you are fine,” said Ginny. “Can you still preform magic?”

He looked a bit scared at her question. “I don’t know? I was never particularly strong without a wand.”

“Here,” said Remus as he left the doorway and handed Quentin his wand.

Quentin took hold of the wand and produced a simple Lumos. “Yes, I can still preform magic. How did you do it? Was it a simple Finite?”

“No, it wasn’t a simple Finite,” said Harry. “We had to go inside and remove the spell from your magical core. Whoever did this also Obliviated you so we had to do some searching.”

“That is fascinating,” gushed Quentin. “How were you able to do this, go inside of my magical core and determine what spell was the actual Imperious curse?”

Harry looked up at Ginny who smiled and shook her head. “It would take a great deal of time to explain it to you. At this moment, Harry and I would like to do the same for your wife.”

Quentin stood up and looked at them. “Can I watch you do this?”

“Yes, you may, but please no questions until we are done,” said Harry.

“Of course, I will stand over here.” Quentin moved over beside Remus and stared with wide-eyed fascination.

Harry and Ginny moved to be on the same sides of Mrs. Robertson as they had been on her husbands. Harry hesitated as he went to place his hand over Rebecca Robertson’s heart.

Relax, and just focus on what we are doing.

Harry smiled at Ginny, as he relaxed and placed his hand over Rebecca’s heart. He closed his eyes and felt his and Ginny’s magic meld to become one. The time and effort it took to remove the Imperious Curse was significantly less this time. He knew what he was looking for and how to remove it. In a minute, he and Ginny’s consciousness had entered the Rebecca’s magical core, extracted the curse and returned to their own bodies. He again created a vial and extracted the Imperious Curse from his magical core and placed it in the vial.

He looked at Remus, who without being told cancelled the Sleeping Charm on Mrs. Robertson. She awoke with a similar expression on her face that her husband had.

“Is it over?” she asked them.

“Do you feel the urge to kill them, dear?” asked Quentin.

“No,” she snapped at her husband with a roll of her eyes. “I can assume that you have been fixed too.”

“They removed the Imperious Curse. If that was what you wanted to know dear,” replied Quentin. “If that was what you intended.”

“It will do for now,” sighed Rebecca. “Am I clear to sit up?”

“Yes, do you want to test your magic?” asked Ginny.

Rebecca looked at her husband. “No, I can tell Quinten isn’t concerned, so I trust you.”

Ginny looked at Harry and smiled. He could feel that she was tired. Joining their magic together to eliminate the Imperious Curses had been very taxing. They needed to relax and have some ambrosia. It was a magical food that would quickly replenish their magical core. However, there was an overly excited Quentin Robertson that needed answers to how they removed the Imperious Curse. Harry looked over at him. He was nearly bouncing on his feet.

“Now, can you tell me how you were able to eliminate the Imperious Curse. It didn’t look as if you did anything but lay hands on my wife and you extracted the curse from your mind. How did that happen?”

Harry tried to think how to explain it so he could understand.

“We have a love bond. Our magic can connect along with our minds and thoughts,” said Ginny.

“Ginny’s strength is healing and magic associated with compassion and feelings,” Harry said.

“Harry’s magical strength is sensing magic and manipulating magic.”

“Our conscience can meld so that I can use Ginny’s healing ability to move through your bodies and magical cores where I can sense when we come in contact the Imperious Curse.”

“He was able to absorb it through our magical connection without it overpowering us. Harry then extracted it from his magical core.”

“How?” asked Quentin. “How could you enter our magical core without physically entering our body?”

“Magic, Mr. Robertson,” said Harry with a smirk.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

“Are you sure about this?” asked Remus.

There were forty Order members surrounding Malfoy Manor. They were waiting for Harry’s order to attack. A plan had been formulated over the past week. The Tonks family knew where the manor was located. Bill went out for three days to determine if the wards could be brought down without harming anyone. He came back surprised that the wards were so simple. He had even lowered them and replaced them twice without raising an alarm. It appeared that there were only about ten adults at the house.

What had them concerned was the lack of seeing children. They had identified several Slytherin students on the grounds, but they hadn’t seen students from the other houses. There was concern over whether the children could be held as hostages somewhere else. If they raided the manor, would the children be harmed?

“We were able to question some of the prisoners held in Egypt and they knew nothing about the children being held any other places,” said Kingsley. “We can only assume that the children are being held inside the main building. I am guessing they are being held as prisoners. Andromeda believes there are actual dungeons in the main house. She didn’t know how many people they can hold. I am concerned how these children are being treated. The children’s parents that are in there are ones that pledged fealty to Voldemort. I would have thought they would have been treated better.”

“We need to secure the children before we attack the Ministry,” said Harry. “We will go in and Stun everyone who raises a wand. We will sort things out later. I know it is a lousy plan, but it is best we have. We need to finish this war.”

No one questioned him. Harry could sense the end of the war coming. He and Ginny needed to defeat Voldemort so he can never harm anyone again. Harry was now confident that together he and Ginny could turn Voldemort into a squib.

“All right everyone,” whispered Harry.

He looked at Bill and nodded. Bill under the cover of Harry’s Invisibility Cloak strode out to the edge of the wards protecting Malfoy manor. A few seconds later there was a loud snap as the wards fell.

Harry Apparated to the front door of the manor house. There were pops of Order members Apparating all around the grounds. Ignoring the adults that were outside on the ground he pushed the front doors open and stepped inside of the manor house. There were four adults standing in the foyer. Two of them started to raise their wands, but were quickly Stunned by Remus and Tonks.

Ginny stepped into the foyer and around Harry. He could sense her reaching out and detecting people in the lower levels.

“There are almost a hundred children downstairs,” said Ginny. “We need to find the stairs to the lower level.”

Harry stepped forward towards the two adults that dropped their wands. “How do we get to the children downstairs?”

They didn’t say anything but one woman pointed toward one of the doors off the foyer.

“Tonks and I will go first,” said Remus. Tonks blasted the doors off their hinges and Remus jumped through followed by Kingsley, Tonks and Bill. There was the sound of spells being fired in the room, before Remus shouted out. “It’s clear and we found the door.”

Harry started towards the room, but Kingsley stepped out. “You two wait here. I will take a group down those stairs first. We are too close to lose you now.”

Harry was going to object, but he knew Kingsley was right. Ten Order members ran into the room. The sound of another door being blasted off its hinges followed. Harry stood there in the foyer trying to listen for sounds of a struggle coming from the other room, but it was nearly impossible to hear. The rest of the Order were bringing the children and adults in from outside. It looked as if the only resistance they met were the two witches in the foyer.

A light blond boy who was being brought in from the outside cried out for his mother. He ran to the woman who had pointed to room with the entrance to the dungeons. It was Andromeda Tonks, who had accompanied them on this mission, that alerted Harry to whom the woman was.

“Narcissa,” said Andromeda coolly. “It looks like you didn’t put up much of a fight.”

“He killed Lucius and ordered Draco tortured,” replied Narcissa Malfoy. “He does not care about blood purity if it gets in his way.”

“A person’s blood means nothing if their soul is evil,” said Andromeda.

Narcissa turned to Harry and gave him a curious stare. “Are you Harry Potter?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Kill him. You must kill him. We will never have peace until he and my sister Bellatrix are dead,” demanded Narcissa.

Harry was going to respond to her, but the children from the dungeon appeared out of the room and flooded into the foyer. The children looked thin and scared, but overall in good shape.

“We are taking these children back with us,” Harry said with some heat. The idea that they locked up children in a dungeon burnt deep. It reminded him of his time with the Dursley’s. “The rest of you shall remain here….”

“No!” screamed Narcissa. She fell on her knees to beg. “No, please do not leave us. He will kill us all. Please, I beg of you Master.”

Bile rose in Harry’s throat that she called him Master. He knew that there was a good chance that all these adults would be murdered or tortured without mercy. However, they chose Voldemort as their leader. They truly deserved whatever punishment they received.

Ginny placed a hand on his shoulder. Her touch calmed him and made him think more clearly. Many of these people may be bigots and arrogant, but they were still humans and deserved to be protected. He will probably need their help when the time comes to rebuild this society.

“Stand up, I am not your Master nor do I ever intend to be. We will take these children with us to feed them and give them a better place to live. Everyone who wasn’t in the dungeon will remain here. You will not be able to leave these grounds. There will be a Ward placed around these grounds that will not allow anyone to enter or exit. It will also cancel all communications with the outside world. Before I leave, you will tell me everything you know about the protections at the Ministry and if Voldemort is still there. If you break free of this place and I meet you in battle. I will show you no mercy.

“Is that understood?”

Narcissa Malfoy stood up slowly and stared at Harry for a second, before looking at Andromeda. Her face was wet with tears. “You are not going to punish us?”

“If I find out you tortured these children in your dungeon, you will pay for your crimes, but there will be a trial.”

“I do not know much of what has been happening in the Ministry. We have been forced to stay here ever since he declared himself the King of Magic. Occasionally, we hear things from people who bring us food. I will tell you everything that I know.”

Back to index


Chapter 43: With a Whimper

Author's Notes: It is Voldemort's last stand, but things do turn out the way the Order planned.


Voldemort stood in his throne room waiting. It was only a matter of time before Potter would be coming for him.

Last week Potter managed to capture Malfoy Manor. It was now inaccessible to Ministry workers. He can only assume that the Order had tortured information out of his followers. Potter would now think that the Ministry was weak and ready to fall.

He would be wrong. In the past week, he and Bellatrix and pushed all the new recruits to learn useful magic. They needed to be able to defend his Ministry from the invading Order members. Even if the Order fought their way through his fighters there had been traps laid at several locations that would kill large portions of them.

The most fortunate bit of information for him came in the way of an overheard conversation at a little used pub. The Order was planning on attacking today. It seemed that the Order had grown so arrogant that they were resuming their usual lifestyles. They seemed to think that Potter could protect them.

They were wrong. They were arrogant. He had ordered his Aurors and Hit-wizards not to attack but to listen and observe what these traitors were doing. It was because of this order that they had discovered the Potter’s plan to attack today, one hour before the start of a normal work day. They probably thought the Ministry would be empty and they could walk in and overthrow it.

Won’t they be surprised to find eighty fighters ready to die for their King in the Atrium and another twenty up here in his throne room. The only way Potter could access this room was by the lifts. They would all die as the doors opened. It almost wasn’t fair, but that was what made it so beautiful. Here he and his subjects could murder wave after wave of Order members. With any luck, this will be the Order of the Phoenix’s last day on this earth.

A rumble vibrated through the building. The battle must have begun. Several of his subjects nervously looked around.

“Do not worry,” he said calmly. “There will be plenty of people to kill. I am sure some will make it through the Atrium.”

Bellatrix let out her joyous laughter.

Time seemed to tick by after the initial blast. He waited as five minutes moved to ten, then to fifteen and then twenty. Many of the fighters in the throne room were starting to get impatient and getting out of their assigned locations.

“Everyone back in formation,” he hissed out. “The next person to step out of formation will die.”

“Evidently our forces in the Atrium are more formidable than I thought,” he said.

“Maybe the Order isn’t all that strong,” said Dawlish. “There might only be a few good fighters.”

“Yes, that may be true. We shall find the truth very soon.”

Time seemed to move along in a slow and silent march as he and the others tried to listen for sounds of battle. Certainly, there would be some indication of fighting. A blast or a scream filtering up through the lift shafts.

The lifts indicated that they were moving, as lights came to life above the doors. All three were moving towards their floor.

“Wait until the doors open a crack to cast the Killing Curse. You six take the left one, you six the center, and you six the right. Get ready to kill!” he hissed out the last sentence. It gave him such joy to think about killing his enemy.

The lifts dinged in unison and the doors started to open. Eighteen Killing Curses were cast almost in unison. The doors had barely cracked open a foot when the curses flew inside of them.

An enormous explosion rent the entire wall where the lifts were located. The concussion threw Voldemort backwards into the wall. There was dust and debris flying everywhere blocking his sight and choking him. His head was still swimming from the intensity of the impact when he heard the sound of spells being cast. These were not his fighters casting the spells. They were Stunning people. His fighters were trained to kill or torture.

With a flick of his wand, he cleared the dust from in front of him. He had cleared the dust only a few feet in front of him when his wand was wrenched out of his hand. He went to call his wand back to him, but something was blocking his magic. It was something he never felt before. A thick heavy invisible blanket settled over him and pushed him into the wall. He couldn’t fight it or cast any spells through it. When he was finally pushed against the wall and helpless, he could see what had happened.

The wall, where the three lifts had been, was destroyed. There were three gaping holes in the wall. The Order members were standing there with brooms at their feet. They must have used them to fly up the shaft after the explosion and attacked them. His entire force was sprawled across the floor of the throne room. Many of them had already been tied up. As he observed this more Order members were coming up the ruined lift shafts on brooms.

There standing directly in front of him was Harry Potter and his whore. Potter seemed to glare at him as if he could read his mind. With a simple wave of his hand the debris on the ground moved aside. He was clearing the floor to walk.

Voldemort was helpless to resist as the Muggle-loving brat and his blood-traitor whore walked up to him.

“You shall not touch the King of Magic! You unworthy scum,” screamed Bellatrix.

“Shut up, you bitch,” shouted an Order member. Someone hit her with a Stunner silencing his most faithful follower.

Bellatrix defending him pleased him. He was not afraid of Potter. ‘Let him cast the Killing Curse. I will come back greater than ever. He cannot cause me any pain that I could not return ten times over. I am the King of Magic, the most powerful wizard of all times.’ He shouted in his mind in defiance of the slow approaching wizard and witch, as his mouth was immobile.

They reached out with both of their hands and placed one on his head and one on his chest. A wave of pressure shot through him quickly followed by searing pain. It was a poor excuse for a Cruciatus Curse. A sign of how weak they were.

Soon the pain was over, but he felt odd. He seemed to be exhausted.

The Potters stepped back. He could see that the throne room was filled with Order members now all staring at him. When the Potters were about ten feet away from him. His magical restraints fell. It was so sudden that he fell on the ground onto all fours. He could hear laughter coming from the Order members.

Then someone did the thickest thing in the world. They dropped his wand down in front of him. Did they think he could not kill the Potters and get out of here? Did they not know who he was? Picking up the wand it felt strange in his hand like just piece of wood. That was their trick; give him a fake wand a simple piece of wood.

Looking up at the Potters, he rose to one knee before standing. “That was the poorest excuse for Cruciatus Curse I had ever felt.”

“It wasn’t a Cruciatus Curse, Tom,” said Harry Potter.

Rage swelled through Voldemort at that insolent swine calling him Tom. “Avada Kedavra” he shouted.

But nothing happened. There was no flash of green light from the end of his wand. It must be a fake. Dropping this stick, he cast his most powerful wandless spell. A Bludgeoning Curse so strong it would crush Potters skull.

Yet, he stood there unharmed. There was no indication that he was even touched by the spell.

“You are now a squib, Tom. Nothing more than a Muggle,” said Potter.

“A really ugly and mutilated Muggle; who will live forever in Azkaban,” said Ginny.

“No!” he screamed. “No one can take a person’s magic away. It is impossible.”

He tried to any type of spell he knew, but none of them worked. Everything was being blocked. He was getting more and more frustrated and the Order members around him were only laughing louder. He was helpless. They will certainly kill him. However, the idea of all the witches and wizards that had cowered before him seeing him helpless scared him.

“No, please have mercy. Kill me,” he begged of the Potters. “Don’t send me to Azkaban. Please Kill Me!”

A low rattling laugh sounded from a distant wall. Voldemort looked over and saw Rookwood chained to the floor. His mutilated body lying there. Staring at him.

“You are not so mighty now, O great King of Magic,” taunted Rookwood.

Indignation once again filled Voldemort. He was the most powerful and the most intelligent wizard of all time. Standing up he faced the Potters. “I will solve this spell you cast on me, and I will erase your family from the face of the earth. I am the most intelligent wizard of all time. No one else has become immortal.”

A great light filled the room, but it did not seem to hurt his eyes. It seemed to cause pain deep in his soul.

“No, you are not immortal, only evil,” said a sweet and soft female voice.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Ginny felt a wave of powerful magic fill the room as Voldemort ranted in front of them. It was different form any magic she had ever felt before. It was extremely powerful, but it did not feel evil. It felt warm and made her feel more alive and powerful than she had ever felt before.

Harry do you feel that?

Yes, what is causing it? It doesn’t feel dangerous or in any way dark.

The room was bathed in brilliant light. Ginny’s magical core seemed to explode with energy and, if one would dare say it, excitement. The magical presence brought back memories that had been long buried from Xenon’s memories. His mother, the Queen of the Atlantian Elves, had entered the room.

Everything around the Queen of the Elves glowed with intense silver light. The light was so strong that it bent the room to allow her to enter. She stepped gracefully through the opening accompanied by a male elf, her husband the King of the Elves. Xenon’s memories flowed back into Ginny’s mind with the appearance of his parents. It had been thousands of years since he had last seen her, but she still looked the same, except her eyes looked sadder.

Ginny though was seeing her for the first time. Xenon’s mother was taller than she imagined. She would have towered over Bill and her father, who were both very tall for men. Her face was long and triangular shaped, yet it was beautiful. Her eyes were large and bright blue. Her ears were pointed, and they stuck out through her hair. Her arms and legs were long and lithe. Despite their thin appearance Ginny could tell they were strong. Her hands and feet were also long and graceful. Xenon’s father was almost identical in appearance. He had no facial hair, but he was easily distinguishable as a man. Their fair skin seemed to glow with the same light as what had filled the room.

“No, you are not immortal, only evil,” she said to Voldemort.

Voldemort’s facial expression seemed to be frozen in place for only a second, before he responded with a sneer. “I will never die.”

There was another shift in the room. This time it was a dark evil magic that filled the room with a frigid feeling like a dementor. Magic that caused Ginny and Harry pain. She felt Harry panic through their bond, as the dark magic pushed into the room shoving the silvery glow from Xenon mother’s magic back closer to her.

I felt this when I was between life and the afterlife. It’s the darkness that took Voldemort’s splinter of soul.

A spot in the room on the other side of Voldemort shimmered black and started to shift bending the room around it. Out of it stepped an elf unlike any Ginny had seen in Xenon’s memories.

It was as tall and lithe as the other elves, but its skin was dark; shifting from ebony black to pewter grey like clouds moving across a starless sky. Its hair was also black. Its eyes were the worse. They appeared to glow black and there were no whites to its eyes. Ginny assumed it was male it dressed like what the other male elf wore. Another elf stepped out of the void behind the first its appearance was almost identical, except it was female.

The tension between Xenon’s mother and this other elf was causing the magic in the room to pulse. It hurt Ginny with each throb of dark magic, but it was always countered with a pulse of light from the Atlantean elves. Time seemed to stop as those two faced off. Ginny felt her own magical powers being overwhelmed by the presence of the two elves.

“Bahram,” said the Queen of the elves.

“Panteha,” said the dark elf. “How long has it been.”

“It has been 10 millennia, since you have been banished,” said Panteha, the Queen of the elves.

“You allowed me the access back to this realm, by returning yourself. You set the magic barriers up all those years ago to keep me away from these things. Why would you allow my subjects free reign over the earth, by returning like this?”

“I am not granting access for you to come back and reign terror on humans again, Bahram. I will be leaving soon, and you too shall need to leave.”

“Why do you concern yourself with these humans?”

“I will not allow you to use them for your blood lust Bahram,” she shouted. “They have the right to decide their fate on their own.”

“Hah, they are even more blood thirsty than I am. Have you not been watching what they have done over the years?”

“I have watched and seen your influence on these humans….”

“How can I influence these humans, when I have been banished to the abyss?”

“I can see and feel your influence upon them. How you speak to them through their dreams and influence their anger. I see your influence in this wretched human-being here and other dark wizards in the past. You tried to spread your dark thoughts through the magical community by leaving dark magical objects for them to find,” she shouted at the dark elf.

“My son had to sacrifice his life to stop your dark thoughts and influence. When I leave here, I shall close that access to you, so you shall never try to raise another dark lord again.”

“Ah, Panteha, I see you haven’t stopped being a hypocrite,” Bahram laughed. “Your son’s presence allowed me access to these humans. You allowed the tear in the fabric of your own magic by watching over these humans. We are gods to them. We should be acting as gods to them, instead hiding from them.”

“You only want in this realm to help to destroy them and grow you power from their pain. I am tired of this debate. It is finished,” she spoke with authority.

Bahram tried to open his mouth, but no sounds came out. He seemed to get angrier as he realized he had been overpowered.

“I do not have time for this useless banter,” Panteha said to Ginny. “10 millennia ago we fought each other over the right to control the earth realm. Many elves were lost in the battles. The worst thing was the pure elves couldn’t kill or they would end up like Bahram. Killing causes a permanent transformation to a dark elf. Bahram killed our parents to become the ruler of all the elves. It changed him. I had no other choice than to banish him to the abyss. It cost our community dearly. The only way to banish him was to separate the pure elves from the world. The further we are away from the realm of humans the safer you shall be from Bahram and his evil.

“I did not remove us far enough from your realm. When I return to Atlantis, I will remove the island even further from this realm. It will make you humans safer from Bahram. We will never be able to help you again. Please use Xenon’s sacrifice to teach your future generations how to live peacefully with each other.”

Ginny was nervous to answer. How could she teach future generations to live peacefully?

“I have the power of divination. I have seen many paths you and your soul mate could have taken. You both have chosen wisely up to this point. You will have many important decisions to make in the near and distant future Ginevra Potter.”

Panteha stopped talking and looked at Harry. “You have a strong bond. The strongest I have ever felt among humans. Once we move further away from your realm, there will never be another love bond among humans. Use it well.”

“Why us?” Ginny asked. “Why did you cause this love bond to form and your son to sacrifice himself to save Harry?”

“I only told Xenon to find a young couple with a strong love bond. The love bond was formed by the two of you. The reason why there won’t be any more love bonds is because the old magic is dying out. Soon all magic will be done with wands, and the old ways will be lost. Unfortunately, there will always be evil. Which brings me to him.” Panteha pointed to Voldemort who was standing still against the wall. His eyes moved but the rest of his body seemed to by Petrified.

Voldemort moved away from the wall. “Who are you?” he demanded of Panteha.

“I am Panteha, the Queen of the Elves of Atlantis,” she said proudly. “You are no King of Magic and you are not immortal, human.”

“I’ve….” He started to talk but Panteha cut him off.

“You have splintered your soul which is an abomination. Your soul may never pass in to the Abyss, but your body will not last forever. Your soul is doomed.”

“I will find another body. No one will ever find my last Horcrux,” laughed Voldemort.

There was a flash and Panteha was holding a white sphere. “You mean this Horcrux. I could sense where it was located all the way from Atlantis. You will never step in this realm again. My son sacrificed his immortality to stop you, and I will watch as your body decays, before I destroy the last fragment of your soul to send you to the abyss with the rest of your splintered soul.”

White light surrounded Voldemort, with a flash he disappeared. His disappearance seemed to break the spell over Bahram.

“If you take someone to your realm. I demand the right to take one to my realm,” he demanded. He started moving towards Harry.

As he moved towards Harry, Ginny felt pain through their bond. Bahram raised his hand and talons appeared from his fingertips. Ginny was frozen in place. She looked at Panteha for help but she stood there smiling like she knew something, but wasn’t saying anything. The pain from Harry was getting more intense as Bahram’s hand got closer to Harry.

When Bahram’s hand was only a few inches form Harry, Ginny noticed something. His skin was starting to smoke and bubble as though it was on fire. The stench of acrid smoke filled the room. Bahram pulled his hand back with a look of disgust.

“You shall only take one that that would be destined for your realm,” said Panteha. “I am not going to torture and punish Voldemort in my realm. Harry’s soul is still pure.”

Bahram seemed to radiate blackness around him as his anger grew. “You are stupid to care for these creatures. They will never survive another hundred years without your help.”

He turned and looked at Bellatrix Lestrange, who was splayed out on the floor. Ginny realized that everyone except Harry and she were frozen in place. All the Order members that he could see around the silver and black light was standing still, as if they had been petrified.

Bahram glared at Bellatrix. “You thought he was the Dark Lord, the King of Magic. He was nothing, I am the true Dark Lord.” He raised his right hand. He thrust his hand out and plunged the talons into Bellatrix’s chest. Smoke rose form her flesh and the area was again filled with acrid smoke. The Stunning Spell broke as she let out horrid shriek and her body shook with pain.

The air around Bahram turned dark and shimmered as he, Bellatrix, and the other dark elf disappeared.

“I must leave now, Ginevra,” said Panteha with a tear in her eye. “If I may ask a favor of you, on the solstices could you take your son to the beach and watch the sunset. Just before the sun sets, for the briefest of time you shall see Atlantis appear above the horizon. I will be able to glance at my son’s namesake. Remember, my son gave you a great gift. You must decide how to use it to the best of your abilities. There will be difficult decisions before you, but I feel that you shall make the proper ones.”

The Queen of the Elves touched Ginny’s cheek and warmth flowed through her. The air shimmered and Panteha disappeared.

Bloody Hell, Ginny.

I can’t believe what just happened, Harry. I knew they existed but….

“Harry, Ginny!” shouted Arthur. “What happened? Where is Voldemort?”

Ginny looked at her Father’s panicked expression. She realized that everyone else missed what had just happened.

“Voldemort has been banished to a realm where he will never return,” shouted Harry. “He will never reign terror on the magical and Muggle communities again.”

A cheer rose form all the Order members. Everyone was hugging and congratulating each other. The war was over. Harry walked over to her and kissed her gently. They had won, but she was feeling nervous about what Panteha had said to her that she had been given a great gift. Ever since Xenon had bonded with her, she had been feeling different than she ever felt before. After Harry finished the kiss, she ran her hands through her hair touching her ears. There was a small point evident at the top of them.

Her Father grabbed her in a fierce hug. “You did it. You and Harry have stopped him.”

Kingsley Shacklebolt approached them. “What do we do now,”

Harry turned to her. They had been planning on how to defeat Voldemort that they didn’t have any definitive plans on what to do when they defeat him. They had to set up a government and have trails for the people who had helped Voldemort. Many people had lost so much, both magical and Muggle.

“We, as the Order of Phoenix,” stated Harry firmly. “Need to contact the Muggle British and let them know the war is over, also contact Amelia Bones and the ICW. Then we will need to set up a government and start having trials and work to rebuild our society.”

“Do you want to be the new Minister?” asked Kingsley.

“NO!” said Harry and Ginny together. People around them laughed at their response.

“People would follow either of you,” said Kingsley. “I personally think you both would make wonderful leaders. You have so far.”

“Harry, Ginny,” her Father addressed them at the same time. “Magical society are going to look to you two to lead them, whether you are the Minister or not.”
“I would like the Order’s council decide on who and what we are going to do next,” said Harry. “I, we will publicly support the council’s plans. We do not know much about government, and I have a feeling that because of Voldemort’s attack on the Muggle world things will never be the same.”

“If you will excuse us,” said Ginny. “Harry and I have a baby to take care of. Dad, Kingsley, Remus, and Tonks do you mind taking care of things here?”

Ginny and Harry disappeared from the throng.

Back to index


Chapter 44: Dealing with a New Reality

Author's Notes: A short chapter to show indirectly what has happened after the war. It is a transition into the last chapter. The characters may seem a little extreme, but to be honest not all that extreme.


Petunia Dursley took a deep breath as she approached the front door of the hospital. The clothes she wore were not up to her standards. Her stocking had holes in them her dress was fortunately long enough to cover the holes. Thank goodness she had always bought the best clothes that would last, because the last year had been horrid.

Vernon had been put away in this hospital because he was defending her from those freaks. Grunnings Tool and Die went bankrupt and Vernon lost his job and his severance pay. They had some savings tucked away, but not enough to keep up with the mortgage or for Dudley to go to Stonewall.

She had been forced to leave their beautiful home at Privet Drive. Her and Dudley moved in with Marge, but that didn’t work out. When Marge started using the cane on poor little Dudders, she took her beloved son and moved into one of those low rent apartments on the outskirts of London.

Marge was such an unreasonable woman. She demanded that Dudders should work his hands to the bone to help pay for them staying there. Petunia was cleaning and picking up after Marge and her filthy dogs already, but she expected Dudders to clean out the dog’s pens. It was filthy work and demeaning to a boy such as poor little Dudders.

Marge didn’t have a telly at her house. She didn’t believe in them. Poor Dudley suffered so, because he couldn’t watch his shows. Petunia felt cut off from the world there, but at least it was a decent place to live, once one got used to the smell of dogs.

Marge wouldn’t even allow Petunia to use her car to see Vernon, the bank took Vernon’s lovely car along with the house. Marge herself never visited Vernon. She wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those hospitals. She was embarrassed that Vernon had ended up there. It didn’t matter that he was placed there wrongly. He was protecting her and Dudley from those freaks, while they were attacking all of England.

It only took a week for Marge to complain about how much Dudley was eating. She even had the audacity to restrict his food at meals. Dudley is a young active growing boy who needs his meals. Marge was trying to starve him by only allowing him one plate of food at each meal. After three months poor Dudders had enough of being starved. He complained to Marge. She called Dudders a “big lazy lump”. Dudders called her “a mean old hag”. That was when she hit him with her cane and told them to leave her house.

It took a week for Petunia to find a place to live and a job to pay for it. They were living just a few miles from the hospital where Vernon was being held captive. It wasn’t a very nice flat or a nice neighborhood, but it was all they could afford. She found a job cleaning at a local hotel making the minimum wage.

The flat didn’t even have furniture they slept on the floor. Marge kept all their lovely furniture in her barn and refused to give it to them until they paid her. She demanded forty pounds sterling a week rent from them. All the work they had done for her was for the food.

She needed to get Vernon out of that bloody hospital. She heard that Grunnings had started up again. Vernon had worked on the biggest deal in Grunnings history. They were going to grow to be the largest tool and die company in England because of the deal that he worked out. Then those bloody freaks attacked and ruined it all. He deserved to get his job back.

It bothered her that they didn’t qualify for help from the government. People whose houses were destroyed were getting money to rebuild, but they couldn’t get it because of Vernon’s condition. They were victims of that war just as much as anyone else.

Petunia focused back on the task at hand. Convincing the ruddy Doctor to let Vernon out of this hospital. They believe he was a danger to society.

“Good Morning, Mrs. Dursley,” said the receptionist. “I see you have an appointment. The doctor is waiting for you. You can leave your purse in one of those cubbies. You are not carrying any weapons or contraband on your person?”

“I most certainly am not,” she snapped at the rude receptionist. “I am not a criminal and neither is my husband.”

Petunia took off her shoes before stepping through the metal detectors. The metal buckle always set off the blasted thing. After passing through the detector, a guard opened the heavy door, so she could entire the East London Hospital for Mental Health. She almost laughs every time she sees that sign. It is a prison for the criminally insane, which Vernon is not, thank you very much.

She put her shoes on and continued to walk down the shiny hallway. This part of the hospital reminded her of an office building. There were small offices lining both sides of the hallway with curtained windows and wooden doors. She glanced in the occasional open door at the offices, only to see clutter on all these doctor’s desks. Couldn’t they clean their desks. It made her skin crawl to think about how dirty these doctors were.

She finally came to the end of the hallway. There was a door there. She pressed the buzzer to get the guards attention. A reedy voice came over the intercom.

“Yes, what can I do for you?”

“I am Petunia Dursley, come to see my husband, Vernon Dursley.”

“Yes, you are to meet in conference room two. Please come in after the buzzer sounds,” said the reedy voice.

There was a buzz and Petunia grabbed the door knob. It seemed difficult to turn, but it came free. She was glad to be able to see her husband. It had been two weeks after the last visit. She walked quickly without running. The sooner she gets out of the horrid place the better.

Conference room two was a large white room without windows. It had a large wooden table with grey desk chairs surrounding it. The doctor was sitting on one side of the table. She looked around when she entered the room and Vernon wasn’t there.

“Good Morning Mrs. Dursley,” said the Doctor. He didn’t even get up off the chair to greet her properly. “Please have a seat.” The doctor indicated the seat across from him.

Petunia took the offered seat and watched as the doctor looked through Vernon’s folder. She looked at the doctor’s name plate and saw his name was Williamson.

“Dr. Williamson, when is my husband going to get out of here?” asked Petunia.

“Well Mrs. Dursley, your husband must learn to deal with his anger and suspicion in a constructive way. Your husband is refusing to participate in many of the treatments we have tried.”

“I can assure you that Vernon is not … not unstable. He certainly doesn’t belong in here.”

“Mrs. Dursley,” said Dr. Williamson, with a sigh. He flipped the file open to the beginning. “Your husband was arrested at your home. He had been firing a shotgun in the air for almost two hours at…,” The doctor looked at the file again. “How did he put it, ‘those ruddy freaks’. He also threatened to shoot the bobbies that came to stop him from shooting into the air. They said he pulled the trigger, but he had run out of shells after shooting off more than 100 shells into the air.

“Since he has been in here, he has on multiple occasions confronted the staff. Then there is his reaction to the uncovering of the magical society that has been living among us for years.”

“They are the reason for Vernon’s state,” snapped Petunia. “They are unnatural freaks.”

“Look Mrs. Dursley, I am a man of science and the idea of the existence of magic was something that I scoffed at only six months ago. Even when Parliament was attacked, I thought it had to be terrorist using unusual weapons.” The doctor smiled before continuing. “I guess they were terrorists, just magical terrorists.

“It was also the magical society that stopped the terrorists and protected the Queen and the royal family. They are also helping us to rebuild our country. We must accept the magical society, as part of the human race, as equals with the same rights to live freely as the rest of us. Mrs. Dursley, calling them freaks and abominations is not acceptable behavior.

“Mr. Dursley mentioned in his treatments that you have a nephew that was magical. Yet, he never says his name. He just refers to your nephew as ‘that boy’. I find it rather shocking that he won’t even say his name.”

“Why should he?” snapped Petunia. “That boy was nothing but trouble to us since the day he was dumped on our doorstep. He ran off three years ago and we haven’t seen him since. Good-bye and good riddance, I say.”

“How old would this boy be right now?”

“Fouteen,” replied Petunia. “I don’t know why we must talk about him.”

The doctor leaned back and looked at her. He stared at her for several seconds, before speaking. “Your husband has a great deal of anger towards magical people. He shows a tendency to get violent when confronted with members of the magical society. I will not release him until he can control his fears of the magical community. We must accept them as part of the world.”

Petunia glared at the doctor for several seconds before speaking. “The magical community attacked us. Why should we forgive them?”

“Members of the magical community came to our rescue, Mrs. Dursley,” stated Dr. Williamson. “We have already discussed this; there are members of their society who are evil. There are many of them that are good and noble.”

The doctor leaned forward and stared at Petunia. “Mrs. Dursley, I am trying to help you and your husband. By firing off a gun within city limits he violated a half dozen laws. He also pointed a weapon at an officer of the law. He could be sent to prison for a minimum of ten years. By admitting him to this facility, he cannot be held responsible for his actions since no one was injured. I cannot allow him out of here until he can prove to me that he will not attack anyone. Do I make myself clear?”

Petunia stared at the doctor. He was being totally unreasonable, but she was sure that Vernon could control his temperature. “Yes, you have made yourself perfectly clear,” she sniffed and dabbed her eyes with a tissue. “This has been so difficult for all of us. I just want to get my family all back together.”

“I can understand your concern,” said Dr. Williamson. “I would like to help you get your family together again, but Vernon will need to change some of his views. It is acceptable to have differences with members of society, but it is not acceptable for him to resort to violence with any members of society because they are different.”

“I am sure Vernon can do that, doctor. Will I be able to see him today?”

“Yes, I was going to invite you into the social room to watch some telly with everyone. It is a show about the magical community. It is proven that the more familiar you are with different members of society the easier it is to accept them.”

Petunia wondered what this show on the telly was going to be about. She was nervous how Vernon would react, but she had to put on a brave face. Hopefully, Vernon will be calm and not react violently to seeing people preforming magic.

“I am sure Vernon will act appropriately,” Petunia said confidently.

The doctor gave her a small smile. “Well, any improvement would be welcome, Mrs. Dursley.”

The doctor stood up and walked towards the other door in the conference room. Petunia followed him out the door and down a short hall to an open social room. It was a large white-walled room with groupings of brightly colored furniture breaking up the room to five or six smaller sections. There was a large telly at one end of the room.

There were people moving in from the other side of the social hall. Most of them moved as though they were zombies. Others were acting rather unusual, by staring or talking to things that were not even there. It saddened Petunia to see all these crazy people that Vernon had to be around. It couldn’t be easy for him.

Vernon finally entered the room. He was pushing some loony away from him that was rubbing their hands on his shoulder and arm. Her heart broke for her husband. He looked so haggard and drawn. He had lost so much weight here, because they refused to feed him properly. He looked up and spotted her and broke away from the rest of crowd.

“Am I getting out of here today?” he whispered desperately, as he grabbed her arm. “I need to get out of here, Petunia.”

His grip was hurting her, but he had always been so strong that it was hard for him to control it. She looked up and saw one of the guards staring her and Vernon. To someone else it might appear that Vernon was hurting her, but she knew he didn’t mean it.

“Vernon, you need to let go of my arm,” she whispered to him. “The doctors here think you are dangerous. They won’t let you out unless you show constraint and calm down.”

“There isn’t anything bloody wrong with me,” hissed Vernon. “It is all these loonies that are causing me to lose my temper.”

“It is also concerning magical people…,”

“Don’t mention that unnaturalness around me.”

“Vernon, if you don’t make these doctors believe that you are accepting of those freaks, you cannot get out of here.”

“What do those quacks know? I am normal. I am not some whacked out blighter.” Vernon looked at her and chewed on his lip making his mustache twitch around. “All right, I need out of here. I will be calm.”

“Hello Everyone, I promised a bit of a treat today,” said Dr. Williamson. “Today the Queen will be Knighting two people who have been instrumental in stopping the attacks against our beloved country.”

The doctor turned the telly on and stepped back. The telly was so far away from them that they couldn’t hear what anyone was saying.

“Let’s move up a bit, Petunia. I am curious who will be getting Knighted.”

Vernon had always been fascinated by royalty and anyone being Knighted. He had once confided in her that it was his dream of being knighted by the Queen. As they moved closer to the telly many other people were also moving in closer.

Dr. Williamson approached them. “Good Morning Vernon, how are you today?”

“I’d be better if I was home, Doctor,” said Vernon icily.

“Yes, Vernon, I understand. How are you at managing you anger.”

Petunia gasped as a face came in focus on the telly. It looked like Lily’s dead husband. They were now close enough to hear the announcer.

“Here they are Harry Potter and his wife Ginny Potter, soon to be Sir and Dame Potter. They are the leaders of Britain’s magical world. They not only fought against the magical terrorist. They are also responsible for securing the loan for Britain to rebuild after the war….”

Petunia didn’t hear anything else. All she could see and hear was Vernon screaming “Boy” as he charged at the telly while shoving people out of the way to get to the telly before ripping it off the wall and smashing it.

She just shook her head as security and other inmates tackled Vernon to the ground. It doesn’t look like he will be coming home for some time.

Back to index


Chapter 45: Hogwarts 2420

Author's Notes: Well, here it is the last chapter in this story. I must apologize for spending so long on this story as I had so many blocks slow me down. I would also like to thank everyone who is still reading the story and especially those who have been reviewing it.
Hope you enjoy reading it and please review.


It was September 1, 2420 at Hogwarts School Complex. Hogwarts was rebuilt after the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, destroyed it 425 years ago. The British magical community rebuilt it almost to the exact same dimensions as it had stood for a thousand years before. There were tall towers stretching up and pointing at the sky, and a great hall complete with a magical ceiling where everyone would dine. Candles still twinkled in the mullioned windows at night. It even had the central staircases with moving stairs.

On the grounds there was the omnipresent forbidden forest. It also was nearly destroyed along with the building, and it too had recovered. There were Centaurs and many other magical creatures running through it, causing it to still be off limits to all but the most adventurous rule-breaking students of Hogwarts. The Quidditch pitch where many matches were held each year towered over everything else on the grounds. So much of the school remained the same as it had for the last 1400 years, but much had also changed in the past 400 years.

There were four other buildings on the grounds. These buildings were modern looking with light brick and dark grey metal construction. They were long rectangles each one nearly as long as Hogwarts’ main building. These building were not for the young magical students. These buildings composed the most prestigious school of advanced Muggle/magical education. They were where Hogwarts University of Magical Technology was located.

This branch of Hogwarts was for those whom had already completed their secondary education and had passed the rigorous entrance exams. There were Muggle and Magical students and professors. Not all the students stayed at the university like the young students at the castle, but many commuted every day. Over the past 400 hundred years many things had changed.

After the Great Dark War, as the battle against Voldemort’s forces was called now in History of Magic. The Magical community could no longer remain hidden. The thing that most wizards and witches had feared never came to fruition. The Muggle community didn’t try to burn them at the stake. There were several problems that developed because of past prejudices and fears that both communities had of each other, but nothing to the scale that would lead to a total all out war between the two communities. It took nearly a hundred years for the tensions to go away as the first generation of people passed away and their children, who grew up with the knowledge of each other accepted each other.

Hugo Granger-Weasley, known today as H.G. Weasley after his favorite science fiction writer, was remembered as the person to move this transition along. He had created a spell where Muggles could control Levitated items. This eventually allowed Muggles to forgo transportation that relied on fossil fuels and use such things as brooms, magic carpets, and a variation of a skateboard. It was a spell he created for his Muggle grandfather, who was having problems carrying his golf bag for all eighteen holes.

The one building at Hogwarts University was dedicated to H.G. Weasley along with an international award given out annually to anyone that advances Muggle/Magical technology. The award has gone to people in many different fields from improved transportation, communications, and even medical.

Each community helped the other to advance. The magical community could help create things without relying on Muggle forms of power, while the Muggles advanced scientific and testing methods helped the Magical community advance faster than ever before.

The British community and Hogwarts was at the center of almost all the early advances in Magical/Muggle technology. It was why people from all over the world came to this remote place in Scotland to learn and study. Today was the start of the new year.

Gone was the old steam locomotive called the Hogwarts express. In its place was a scarlet and black bullet train that moved by means of a Levitation Charms. It still transported all the magical secondary students from London to the school every year. There are some traditions that have remained. The difference is that it only took two hours and it didn’t leave until late afternoon. This morning it was being used to transport University students. Who didn’t want to use other forms of transportation to come to the University. These commuters didn’t come from the station in Thestral drawn carriages, but on hoverboards and other modern forms of transportation or they walked, if they didn’t have an 8:00 AM class.

There was a long portico attached to each building. It was there for misty moisty mornings such as this one where people could Apparate without getting wet or landing in snow. A medium built man, who appeared to be in his mid-thirties, appeared there. He was wearing Professors robes, a requirement even in these modern times. His blond hair was cut short and his green eyes looked out over the Muggle section of the portico. He was the first male in his family to have blond hair, but his green eyes were something that hinted at his linage, James Sirius Potter III.

He smiled as he saw a fellow professor land his car some distance away. George Boeing was flying a prototype that James had helped develop. George was a Professor at the H.G. Weasley School of Magical Physics too, even though he was a Muggle.

James took off at a brisk walk to see George and see how he liked his vehicle. It had been over a year since he last spoke to him. George hadn’t contacted him about how he felt about the experimental car.

“George,” shouted James. “How are you, mate?”

“Wonderful, Professor Potter, welcome back. You want to see how your latest invention has been working?”

“I was curious. Any problems with it?”

George smiled at James before turning to the car. It was large enough to hold five people comfortably. He placed his hand on the driver’s side window and stared at the window. “Briefcase,” George ordered the car.

The car shimmered for a second before it started to fold up to the size of an average briefcase. In less than five seconds there was a brown briefcase sitting where the car had been.

“It’s brilliant, James,” gushed George. He picked up the briefcase and opened it bringing out his tablet and showing James that his lunch was still inside the case in perfect condition. “It even keeps my lunch cool for me. I tell you James you are in line for another H.G. Weasley award.”

George clapped James on the back and started walking towards the school.

James fell in step beside him. “I hardly count making a folding car that keeps your lunch preserved hardly earth-shattering magic.”

“It is if you are not magical,” said George. “There is no wasted space, and it serves a dual purpose. I’ve had it for over a year and haven’t had a bit of problem with it. I also like that I can lock out my teenage daughter from using it if I want. I can actually ground her.”

“I am glad you liked it. When you hadn’t messaged me with complaints I assumed it was performing as planned,” said James. He opened the door open for his friend.

“I am going to petition for you to get another award, if I can keep this car,” laughed George. “How did everything go with your project. Did you get all the power plants changed over?”

“There are about ten more to go. They are so old and dilapidated that they are going to get shut down after new ones get built to replace them. It looks like the world will no longer be using fossil fuels or uranium fuels in less than five years. We are now down to only one percent usage from its peak usage.”

“Planet Earth and its citizens thanks you,” said George. “All it took was some magic to final realize cold fusion”

James laughed at George’s over simplification. “It took a little more than a ‘little bit of magic’ to create cold fusion reactors.”

They stopped walking to look at the display case in the main lobby of the building. In the case was a holographic picture of Hugo Weasley and his first invention; the Levitating golf bag. The golf bag and his Grandfather’s clubs were in the display case and even after 400 years, it was still hovering.

“I heard H.G. Weasley is a distant relative of yours,” said George to James Potter.

“Yes, he is.”

“It must be something to be related to probably the most famous wizard since Merlin.”

“Eh, its not all that it’s cracked up to be,” replied James with a smile. To Muggles H.G. Weasley was the most famous wizard in recent history, but they don’t know the entire story. Many magical people have also forgotten, another critically important couple.

A flash to their right caught James’ attention. A young man flew by them on a hoverboard. James pulled his wand and stopped the man’s flight. Freezing him on the spot one foot off the ground.

“No flying inside of the building,” James said firmly.

“Ah come on Dude,” protested the student. “I’m running late.”

“Classes don’t start for another ten minutes. You can walk to any place in this building in that time,” said James. With two waves of his wand he confiscated the hoverboard and lowered the student gently to the ground.

“Damn, I need to go to the bathroom and see a couple of friends first. I need my board.”

“You can pick it up at security at the end of class. The loo is necessary, but you can message your friends and arrange a meeting later,” said James firmly as he magically sent the board to the security station in the building. “Now off you go.”

The student looked disgusted with him before turning and walking away.

“I wonder about these kids now days,” said George.

“I was the same way when I was in school,” whispered James. “I would Apparate right into class, until they set up wards to block me. I would then Apparate to a broom closet.” James started laughing. “One couples’ expression of shock on their faces, when I interrupted their morning snog in that broom closet. That was priceless. It’s off to class I go. Hope things are not too different after a year away.”

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

James Potter entered his classroom. He was teaching magical theory to first year Muggle students. Most everyone now had been exposed to magic and have some idea how it works. He needed to teach them how to manipulate and control it. This class was a mix of Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, and basic magical theory. A few hundred years ago the idea of Muggles creating magic spells was laughed at and even thought to be blasphemous. Now it is taught and nurtured.

After calling roll with everyone except three people in attendance, he addressed the students “Good morning class, I am your Professor, James Potter III,” he said proudly. “How many of you have ever personally seen magic being performed, raise your hands please.”

A few students raised their hands.

“I am glad we have a few who have seen magic. What we are going to learn in this class is how magic works and how you can make it work for you.”

“How can we make magic work for us. We can’t cast spells?” asked a young lady on the right side of the room.

“None of you may be able to cast the spells, but you could work on constructing spells and write up various incantations to cast spells. Have any of you lot ever hear of M.O.M.?” He said the three letters rather than saying the word.

Everyone looked at each other except one boy in the very front of the class. His hand shot up immediately.”

“Yes,” James said without saying the boy’s name, because he didn’t know it yet.

“Is that Milk of Magnesia?” the boy said.

“No, M.O.M. in this class does not refer to Milk of Magnesia,” said James while suppressing a laugh. “M.O.M. stands for the three magical physicists, who collectively earned a H.G. Weasley award. Does anyone know what they did to earn them a Weasley?

He waited for several seconds. Before he spoke again. “M.O.M. is the acronym for the research group Mohammed, Oleson, and Martinez. They were all Muggles but put their heads together and wrote up a series of spells that allow us to use electricity in close proximity of the magic. Before they created these protective charms, intense uses of magic would block or interrupt electrical current. We can now use electricity in the same place as magic. If it were not for these Charms, you would not be able to use your tablets and would need to write everything down on paper.”

He smiled as the class gave a collective groan.

“I have sent everyone in this class a syllabus. If you have not opened it, I suggest you open it and look it over carefully. All assignments and tests are on the syllabus. There will be no excuses for not handing in assignments on time. You will also notice…,” James stopped talking as the door opened and three students walked in. The one he recognized as the student that had been riding the hoverboard in the halls earlier.

“Are you three supposed to be here?” he asked. He opened his tablet and pulled the student listing. He found the student profiles.

“I am Mike Finnegan, this is Marilyn O’Shea, and Bertie Grant,” said the student that James had stopped from riding the hoverboard in the halls earlier. “You can’t be Professor Potter, so this must not be Applied Magic 101.”

“I am Professor Potter, and this certainly is Applied Magic 101. Please find seats and open your tablets to the course syllabus.”

“But, my Gram went to Hogwarts with you,” said Mike, he jabbed his thumb over his shoulder indicating the school. “You can’t possibly be sixty years old.”

“Yes, in fact I am,” James said as he smiled. All the direct descendants of Ginny and Harry Potter aged well. It is not uncommon for magical people to live well into the hundreds, but his grandfather lived to be 180 and his father is still alive at 140. His mother had passed away last year. She was only 100 years old. He moved the fingers on his right hand feeling the Potter signet ring that his father had given him after his mother’s funeral.

“While you are finding your seat, I am going to discuss discipline in this class,” James said bringing his focus back to the class in front of him, “I will not be a disciplinarian to the point of deducting points from you. You do not even need to come to class, if you can pass this class without attending then don’t come to class.

“If you are running late or need to leave the classroom, enter and leave without disturbing the other students. If you start distracting the other students with your actions. I will expel you.” Several groans could be heard in the class.

“You are all paying for this time here. If you want to throw your money away that is your prerogative, do not make the other students waste their time and money by your actions.”

“Let us get back to the syllabus, all homework assignments are posted on the syllabus. You will notice that I have assigned you three chapters a night to read and research. I will assure you that this will be one of the most difficult classes you will have as you pursue your degree. Many of you who have never been around magical people will have difficulty. There will be help sessions with graduate students or myself every Wednesday evening and as finals approach we may add another session.

“I am going to tell you this. It will sound harsh, but it is the truth. Usually, only fifty percent of the initial class make through the two semesters of this class. This is the most failed class in the University. Some will say it because I am a git, which may be true. The reason this class is so difficult is because everything is purely theoretical in the class. None of you will be able to test the subject matter. During the second semester, I will bring seventh year students from Hogwarts for you to describe to them various spells. You must be able to describe to them what they must do to cast these spells, without the benefit of experiencing the feel of magic.”

“All right everyone. Close your syllabus and open your for the books on magical theory to the first chapter.” James turned his back to the class and started to write on the display and was checking that it was getting projected up on the white board. “Let us start at the beginning, how many ways can magic be applied to objects…,”

There was a loud pop and several people shouted or screamed. James pulled his wand and pointed it at the place where he heard the pop. His breath caught in his chest. There standing in his classroom was one of the last House Elves in this realm.

“Jaspar, what is wrong?”

“Lord Potter must come quickly,” Jaspar choked out. There were tears flowing from is large brown eye and down his wrinkled cheeks, and he was shaking with emotion. “Come now, there isn’t much time.” Jaspar reached out with his hand wanting James to take it.

James was momentarily frozen in place there was only one reason that Jaspar was here, and he wasn’t prepared to face it. They looked so healthy only two months ago when he saw them after returning from setting up the powerplants with cold fusion reactors. How could they have faded so quickly? The sound in the room finally broke through the fog in his mind. People were panicking. Most people had never seen a House Elf. Most of the House Elves had gone to Atlantis with Xenon nearly three hundred years ago. There were only a handful of them left on earth and they all served the Potters.

“Jaspar, I must contact someone to take my place here.”

James grabbed his phone off his desk and called the office. Hearing someone picking up at the other end, he started to talk. “Hello, this is James Potter in Applied Magic 101. There has been a family emergency, please send someone to oversee the class. I need to leave immediately.”

“I think Professor Ngyen is available. I will contact her.”

“Thank you,” James said and hung up.

He needed to leave, but he didn’t want to leave this class without getting their first lesson. He had taught Amanda Ngyen in another class for magical students. Picking up his tablet, he sent her the course syllabus and a quick note about the chapters that need covered. When he focused on his students again he saw that they were in a panic. They were all backing away from Jaspar in fear.

“Do not be afraid of Jaspar, he is a House Elf,” James informed the class.

“House Elves are legends the last one was seen 300 hundred years ago,” shouted Mike Finnegan. “How did he Apparate into the classroom. I thought it was blocked.”

“There are still a few of them left. Their magical abilities are different from humans.” he said calmly. He was almost amused at their reaction. He had to admit that he was surprised last year when he first met a House Elf. He too thought they had disappeared from the earth.

Amanda stepped into the classroom. She must have run here from some distance since she was breathing heavily. Her eyes took in the classroom and locked on Jaspar standing by him. Her arm twitched towards her wand. James stepped between her and Jaspar.

“Do not be afraid. He is a family friend,” he quickly said and raised his hand as though to block the spell. He couldn’t do wandless magic, but it showed that he was willing to defend Jaspar. “I must leave now. Please cover the first three chapters. I will be back…,” he hesitated because he wasn’t sure when he would be back. “I shall return when it is possible. I must go now.”

He reached out and grabbed Jaspar’s hand and almost pulled his hand away it was very cold. Without saying another word, he and Jaspar disappeared.

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

The first thing that James sensed when he reappeared was the salt air and the low thrum of the waves hitting the beach. They appeared on the western shores of Ireland. It was a remote location with only a few homes along a rocky shore overlooking the Northern Atlantic.

He looked inland and saw the cottage nestled among a copse of trees many of which were hundreds of years old. It was a small cottage barely forty feet square made of field stone. It had a second floor which was only a gabled bedroom with four windows facing each direction of the compass jutting out of the slate roof. There was also a covered front porch which faced the ocean. It was here that the residents would look out at the setting sun every solstice. Even though it wasn’t a solstice, they were sitting in their rocking chairs facing the ocean, Harry and Ginny Potter.

Last year when his father had relinquished control as the head of the Potter family, he had brought him out here to see them. The world thought they had died almost 300 years ago. His father had explained that Ginny Potter had been blessed by an Elf in their fight against the Voldemort with the gift of the Elves. She was almost immortal, and she was also soul bonded to Harry granting him extremely long life. They watched their friends die, while they barely aged.

Last year James couldn’t believe this couple was over four hundred years old. They looked younger than his father, their grandchild. His father was considered young looking for a man who was 140 years old. Now they looked ancient and frail. Their skin was pale and nearly translucent. Their faces were covered in wrinkles and their eyes looked tired and cloudy. Ginny’s brown eyes had lost their vibrance and Harry’s green no longer emitted raw power like they had when he first met them or even a month ago.

The House Elves were sitting around them, even looked older then he remembered.

“Harry had a turn for the worst last night,” said Ginny. Her voice was barely above a whisper.

“My beautiful wife has been keeping me alive,” he said and moved his gaze down to their clasped hands.

Ginny was gripping Harry’s hand with all her might. The tendons in her hand and forearm were as taught as guitar strings.

“We do not have long for this world James,” said Ginny. “I need you to do something for us. There is a book in the cottage. It is red leather and on the writing desk to the left. Please take it to the family vault to be included with the archives. It is our memoirs. Please hurry, we haven’t long.”

He had never seen anyone die before. Fear filled James. What should he do? These are the two most influential people in the magical and muggle world over the past 400 years. No! Longer than that they are on the same level as Merlin. What should he do for them to allow them to be properly honored. He couldn’t give them a great memorial everyone already thought they were dead. The injustice of their treatment by historians angered him. They are no more than an interesting chapter in history class to most people today.

“James, what are you waiting for?” asked Ginny.

He snapped out of his thoughts about his great-grandparents. “I’ll be back in a second.”

He ran into the cottage. The first thing he noticed was how cold and dark it felt. His memory of this place was the inside was warm and light, even though it was in the shade of trees. When he commented on it, his father had told him that the marble that made up the floor of the building was from the library in Alexandria and was originally from Atlantis. It was filled with magic.

Now the marble floor was cold and dark. Its magic had been drained.

He saw the writing table and the book that Ginny had wanted him to take the family archives. It was a large book bound with scarlet leather and trimmed in gold. He picked it up and opened it. His curiosity getting the best of him. It was hand written in small fine writing. He glanced over the forward. It was from Ginny to her descendants. This was a chronicle of their adventures since they had faked their deaths. He turned a couple of pages and glanced down over the table of contents. The book was separated into sections and each section was named for a dark wizard that had tried to come to power over the past several hundred years. Closing the book, he ran out to the porch.

Harry and Ginny were sitting in their rocking chair with their heads touching and their eyes were closed.

“No, please not yet, there are so many things I want to say,” he shouted.

They opened their eyes together and smiled a sad smile at him.

“We are not dead yet, blonde James,” said Harry. “What did you want to know?”

James was relieved and embarrassed by his reaction at thinking they were dead. He was at a lost for words. He wanted to know so much, but the only question he could form was a single word.

“Why?”

“That is a pretty general question. Could you be a little more specific? We haven’t much time,” said Ginny.

He laughed at his own question. “Why did you hide away? I assume that you didn’t just sit here on your front porch for the last 300 years. Why do you allow your legacy to be over shadowed by lesser wizards? All anyone ever talks about is Hugo and how he is the most influential wizard since Merlin.”

Harry and Ginny chuckled softly and looked at each other in such a loving way. It reminded him of his parents smiling to each other when he would ask a silly question when he was growing up.

“Fame isn’t all its cracked up to be, blonde James,” said Harry. “We have done many good things in our life, even after people thought we were dead. Doing good is always more rewarding than fame. The world is much better now than it was when we were young. I understand you have been doing your part in improving the world. I am proud of you for what you have done.”

A lump formed in James’ throat and his eyes started to water at Harry’s comment. “I haven’t done anything close to what you have done.”

“You have done something,” said Ginny. “Be proud of what you have done. We have been extremely lucky. There were many people who helped us and taught us. There was also the help we received from the Atlantian Elf, Xenon.”

Ginny smiled wistfully at Harry, who had closed his eyes again.

“He sacrificed his immortal life to save mine and Harry’s. In doing that he passed along some of the traits of the elves.” She reached up and pushed her long gray hair back exposing her pointed ear. “I had the opportunity to spend eternity in Atlantis, but I couldn’t leave Harry, because he couldn’t go. Our son Xenon also had received the power of the Elves, because I was carrying him at that time. He left and is living on Atlantis taking all but a few House Elves with him.”

“I remember Hugo. He was such a bright and inquisitive young lad. His Mother Hermione became my best friend and our unofficial librarian at the Potter Library. I translated all the scrolls from Atlantis and passed that information along to Hugo.”

“Then you are the one that brought all the change not him,” exclaimed James.

“I only translated the scrolls and Hugo, Hermione, and I worked out what it meant in this realm. The Elves from Atlantis were the ones with all the knowledge, James.” She looked at him shrewdly. “Are you disappointed because you can’t brag about being a direct descendant of Hugo Weasley?”

“No! I just want you to get the credit that the two of you deserve. The world needs to know about what you have done for them, even after your death. It looks as if you have been protecting the world against dark wizards without them even acknowledging your contributions.”

“We couldn’t really sit around and do nothing,” wheezed Harry.

Ginny gripped his hand tighter and grimaced, as though she was in pain. “I am not disappointed that the world doesn’t know more about us. I have my reward right here.” She picked up their clenched hands.

“I was the lucky one. I had the most beautiful woman in the history of the world love me,” said Harry. His voice was weak but the feelings behind it were so strong that when Harry worked to lean towards Ginny. She also leaned towards him so they could kiss.

James felt embarrassed to see them kiss. It was something so pure and so passionate that he felt watching it was wrong, so he turned away and looked out over the ocean. A cold wind blew over his shoulders and made his eyes water. He wiped at his eyes, before turning back around.

“No!” escaped his lips. Where Harry and Ginny Potter had been sitting was now their robes and dust. Even the House Elves had dissolved to dust. A profound feeling of loss came over him, and the world felt a little colder and darker. The cottage was no longer a warm and comfortable niche in the world. It was now just an old cabin in the woods.

Overwhelmed at their loss. James sat down and stared out over the ocean again while clutching the book to his chest. He had been here for one solstice as the island Atlantis had appeared above the horizon within the corona of the setting sun. Proof of the presence of Elves.

He wondered if their first son Xenon, who lived on Atlantis, knew that they had passed away.

He needed to tell his father. He would want to know. His father had been in contact with them for much of his life. First as grandparents, then as secret contact after their fake death.

Anger filled James as he thought about how the world missed out, by them removing themselves from society. Their knowledge, understanding and fairness was unfathomable. Just in the short time that he knew them, he saw it and felt better and more intelligent because of them.

“Why! Why hide yourself away from people who needed you?” he shouted to the waves. His grip increased on the book he held. The book they called him here to get before they passed away. Why would they do that? Why was it so important for him to get this book?

Embarrassment washed over him. He wanted them to be there for the world. They were there for the world. A passage from the introduction clicked in his memory. Opening the book, he scanned the first page for the passage.

To our beloved family, if you wonder why we faked our deaths and hide form society, it wasn’t because we no longer wanted to be a part of the world. It was for another reason entirely. We wanted others to have the opportunity to be leaders and help shape the world around them. As we watched James Sirius age, we realized that he could never become the person he was destined to be if we were still a presence. We went into retirement and hid from the world, to allow others to rise in prominence and shape the world around them as they saw fit.

We did not sit idly by and wait for death to claim us. We remained active, but always behind the scenes and far away from reporters. This book chronicles what we had done after our early death. Please read or reference it under the proper state of mind. We are, after all, just a couple of retirees enjoying our retirement, while catching the occasional Dark Wizard and their followers.


James closed the book and stared out at the ocean as its wave rolled in and crashed against the shore. There was something different now in the world, without Harry and Ginny Potter. It wasn’t just that they were his great grandparents or even because of the exciting things they had done.

It was because while they were alive, some of the ancient ways were still alive. They were the last two people who could preform wandless magic. Many have tried, but none have succeeded.

Magic may have advanced incredibly in the past four hundred years. It was because of Ginny Potter Translating ancient magical scrolls and teaching them to Hugo Weasley. Ginny Potter had advanced magical knowledge but had kept her part in it a secret.

It also marked the end of an era on earth; the end of the elves. The last House Elves left or died with Ginny and Harry.

James sat brooding about these things for some time as the sun started its descent to the horizon. He hadn’t moved from where he had been sitting and staring out at the ocean, while clutching the book to him as if was his security blanket. It finally occurred to him, the reason the world seems so different now was one of the great love stories was truly over. The love that Harry and Ginny Potter had for each other was so great that they defied death several times because of it.

Remembering what was written in the book that he was holding, he stood up. It was his time to make a difference in this world. He would do it the same way that his great-grandparents did, by loving others.

FINITE




Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129631