- What are the story archiving guidelines?
- How should I format my story? What's accepted?
- Can I use my Word document, even if I convert it to HTML?
- What do the ratings mean?
- Why do you have an Obscenity Ban?
- So, how do I know if my rating is right?
- How will I know whether my fanfic was rejected or approved?
- So, once I get one approved, all my other fics are approved?
- My story got rejected, what can I do now?
- What if I need something changed in my archived story?
- I want my story to be deleted from the archive. How do I do this?
- Who owns the stories I post?
- How long after I submit my story will it appear?
- How do I become a validated author?
- What is a validated author?
- Can I link to my own storys posted here?
- What does the 'Post to mailing-list' option mean when uploading fics and how do I use it?
- What's the difference between the Post-DH/PM, Post-DH/AB, Post-Hogwarts, Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Post-HBP and Alternate Universe categories?
- What do I do if I think I.ve spotted some plagiarism or have been plagiarized?
- What happens if I plagiarize someone.s work and post it at SIYE?
- What do I do if I get a 'rude review'(flame) and want it removed?
- What constitutes a 'rude review'(flame)?
1. What are your submission rules?
Please refer to our Submission Rules page for the details.
2. How should I format my story? What's accepted?
The best method is to use a text editor and to write it normally, only including html tags for bolding and italicizing.
Then paste the text in the submission box. Other good methods are to upload pure html pages or a text file you created. What isn't good is to use Word, please refer to the next question.
3. Can I use my Word document, even if I convert it to HTML?
No. Word created HTML pages will not upload correctly. Using Word to create html pages won't work. The html it creates is not correct. Also, uploaded word documents will come up as blank. We currently do not support this method. Again, please don't email asking it to be added. I didn't write this script. However, php geniuses are always invited to write and addon for us. :)
4. What do the ratings mean?
All fan fiction housed in this archive should be rated. This archive uses the MPAA rating system:
|G||Appropriate For All Ages
|PG/PG-13||Nothing graphic, but might be inappropriate for younger readers. The number designation following the "PG-" indicates the age level where it is considered (by the author) to be suitable for reading.
|R||May contain sex, violence or language and is not appropriate for anyone under legal age.
|NC-17||May contain graphic sex which is not
appropriate for anyone under legal age and some adults. Stories of this rating are not allowed in this archive.
5. Why do you have an Obscenity Ban?
Agents employed by JK Rowling have made a few official statements concerning the practice of writing HP fan ficiton. First of all, it must not be for profit and must have a disclaimer. Most of us are in accordance with this. The other biggie is that all HP fan fiction that is obscene or considered racy must not be made available to the general public which includes her younger fans.
In accordance with JKR's wishes, SIYE is at this time banning obscenity from all future submissions to the archive. (Both new stories and chapters) The Archivers are hereby instructed to reject or edit any submissions containing obscenity. Validated authors are also instructed to avoid the use of obscenity. Failure to adhere to this guideline may result in a loss of validated priveliges.
Obscenity is a rather hard thing to define solidly. Suffice it to say that if you use your common sense you should be able to figure out what is allowed and is not allowed. If anyone is unsure- feel free to e-mail any member of the Administration. (Robert, Tom, Mike, or John.) The SIYE Administration reserves the right to define obscenity based on their own judgement.
As the Administration, we ask that everyone please support SIYE in this endeavor. This ban is not a result of an excess of obscenity on SIYE- so know that no one is being targetted. Submitted stories/chapters that are already a part of the Archive are exempt from the ban- but their authors are nevertheless encouraged to edit them. We would like to make SIYE a site acessible to all ages groups and trusted by parents and families.
6. So, how do I know if my rating is right?
Use your judgment. And, if you're not sure, feel free to ask an administrator.
7. How will I know whether my fanfic was rejected or approved?
If your story was rejected, you'll receive an email explaining why. If it was approved, you could possibly receive no notification.
8. So, once I get one approved, are all my other fics approved?
No, in order for all of your work to get in automatically, you must be made a validated author. This occurs when I see that all of your work is meeting our standards. I know you follow the rules.
9. My story got rejected, what can I do now?
First off, please don't get offended. Read the suggestions very carefully and try to follow them. The rules aren't that hard, most people find the rejection is due to length - 1000 words at least. Work on building your story up more.
10. What if I need something changed in my archived story?
You can go to "Your Account", then go to edit / delete stories. You will get a table with all the titles of your stories and links for editing your story, deleting your story, adding chapters, etc. It's quite easy isn't it?
11. I want my story to be deleted from the archive. How do I do this?
Go to "Your Account", click on the link edit/delete stories. You will get a table with the titles of your stories and link to edit, delete and add chapters. Use the delete link to delete your story or chapter.
12. Who owns the stories I post?
You own your stories. SIYE will not redistribute them to other sites without your permission.
13. How long after I submit my story will it appear?
If you are not a validated author yet, it will take about a day usually. If you are validated, your stories will appear instantly. If your fiction hasn't been validated in 3 days, please email the staff.
14. How do I become a validated author?
Validation is received if the administration staff feels you can follow the rules and properly format your story without assistance. Please don't email the staff asking for validation.
15. What is a validated author?
A validated author is an author that has shown they can follow the rules and need no moderation to their stories. Their stories are automatically added to the archive and do not wait in the validation list for an admin to approve them.
16. Can I link to my own storys posted here?
Yes, the easiest way is to find the story and then copy the link in the address bar.
17. What does the 'Post to mailing-list' option mean when uploading fics and how do I use it?
If you would like to post the fic you're uploading to a mailing list just type in the email address of the list in the box provided. If you want to do more than one, separate each addy with a comma. In the email sent to the list it'll have the subject will look like-- Title: Chapter Title and will give your 'reply email' at the bottom.
18. What's the difference between the Post-DH/PM, Post-DH/AB, Post-Hogwarts, Pre-OotP, Post-OotP, Post-HBP and Alternate Universe categories?
Post-DH/PM Takes place during or after the book 7 epilogue.
Post-DH/AB Takes place after the final battle.
Post-Hogwarts Takes place after Harry's 7th year, but disregards book 7.
Pre-OotP Takes place before the 5th book, but holds to canon. If your story isn't canon, please don't place it here just because it takes place before book 5.
Post-OotP Takes place after the 5th book, but holds to canon.
Post-HBP Takes place after or during the 6th book, but holds to canon.
Alternate Universe Any story that strays from canon, whether it occurs before or after the 5th book. So even if your story takes place after the 5th book and follows canon up to book 5, its still AU because it doesn't take into account book 5.
19. What do I do if I think I.ve spotted some plagiarism or have been plagiarized?
Please advise an Administrator of your concern. DO NOT confront the author yourself or make public accusations.
20. What happens if I plagiarize someone.s work and post it at SIYE?
Your SIYE account will be suspended and the story deleted by the administration.
21. What do I do if I get a 'rude review'(flame) and want it removed?
Send your request to an Administrator.
22. What constitutes a 'rude review'(flame)?
A rude review is where someone insults the story, insults the author, or says nothing. Also- reviews saying, .Now reading story. or something to that effect will be frowned upon- heavily.